Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters far from convinced that Johnson is going – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642

Boris Johnson tells Sky's @BethRigby people are "absolutely fed up" about hearing things that "I’d stuffed up" as he played down the party's by-election defeats. The arrogance of a broken PM he just goes from worse to rotten, he has no moral’s or decency what so ever.

https://twitter.com/politicalpics/status/1540650495790010370

Is this what it was like facing Corbyn for the Tories in the room

This morning on R4 BoJo was declaring that he was going to tackle the fuel cost issue. Which Ofgem warned about 12-15 (?) months ago. I was aware of a need to swap to a fixed tariff at the start of summer 2021, but chose the wrong one.

IIRC the Tories kept notably quiet with Corbyn compared to what they could have done, and allowed him to create his own havoc, especially around his facilitation of racism. Others may have a different recall.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,996
    edited June 2022
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Bloody hell!
    Even Leach has gone 20/20.

England think they can win - they want to give themselves the time to do so.

Might not work, but makes sense.

Nah time has bevome irrelevant. There are 8 and a bit sessions left and NZ will absolutely not be dangling a carrot. This game will almost certainly feature a positive result now, decided on who has a wobble batting second.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    I think when England were 55-6 they would have settled for that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,064
    NEW: Opinium rail strike poll

- 70% support inflation-level pay rise
    - 62% believe govt should intervene
    - 70% against cuts to rail staff
    - 84% say invest rail profits in maintaining staff
    - 59% say workers right to strike if talks fail

- https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1540650949206835201
  • Options
    Whereas previously the whole Cabinet had rowed in behind the PM when he faced difficult headlines over “partygate”, this time it fell simply to the longstanding praetorian guard of Nadine Dorries, Conor Burns and Nigel Adams.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/boris-johnson-by-election-defeat-wakefield-tiverton-honiton-oliver-dowden-resignation
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    MrEd said:

I see the BBC are doing their usual "nothing to see here'" over the Oslo gay bar shooting. Compare and contrast with the WSJ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61933817

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shooting-outside-gay-nightclub-in-norway-kills-two-sparks-terrorism-investigation-11656149242

WSJ manages to identify the background of the shooter, which the BBC somehow can't force itself to admit.

Isn't it possible that the online Beeb minions take a more risk averse approach to reporting controversial news than scheduled radio programmes with experienced editors?

It's not always agenda driven...
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Indeed it was, my influence has no end :)

Although, I think it's fair to say that the BBC website has far more reach than Radio 4, especially when it comes to globally

MrEd said:

I see the BBC are doing their usual "nothing to see here'" over the Oslo gay bar shooting. Compare and contrast with the WSJ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61933817

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shooting-outside-gay-nightclub-in-norway-kills-two-sparks-terrorism-investigation-11656149242

WSJ manages to identify the background of the shooter, which the BBC somehow can't force itself to admit.

Just had the BBC R4 bulletin tell me that the shooter was a Norwegian citizen of Iranian background, and the shooting was a hate crime. You post and the BBC immediately reacts, impressive!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

It's absolutely none of my business what people post on here, and generally I'm at the freedom of speech end of the spectrum. But there is a line to be drawn.

So, how about an automatic ban on anybody who refers to other posters as 'mate' or 'pal'? Beyond the pale, in my view.

A starting point certainly. I’ve noticed a surge of ‘chap’ as a term of online familiarity in the last decade, eg ‘you’ve done wonders restoring those magnesium alloy wheels, chap’. Summary execution in those cases.
    I’m pressing for the return of “Chum”. I thought it’s use by Leeroy Jenkins would popularise it but, sadly, 16 years on still no traction.
    Never mind, old boy.

When I used to lead my beginners running group, I used to refer to all as ‘guys’, despite almost all being female. No one seemed to mind.
    "Guys" took some getting used to when I moved to Canada.
    Generically and ubiquitously used for all plural groups regardless of gender.
    Even chipmunks, raccoons, and ants.
    I think I first heard "Hey, you guys!" in the cartoon Rugrats. The babies were both girls and boys.
    I remember Rugrats. It was one of those cartoons that had enough in it for adults (or at least big kids like me) to keep it entertaining but it was put in the shade a bit by Phineas and Ferb which was truly brilliant.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Tommy having a teeny moment of hesitation in his headlong rush to Brexit loving, Tory voting, Telegraph columnising reaction. Won’t last long.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    So farewell then Mick Train
    You had both mates and pals
    A surprisingly large number of whom developed complications after receiving the Covid vaccine.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    Alert sounded at Merrivale Model Village!
  • Options

A surprisingly large number of whom developed complications after receiving the Covid vaccine.

I seem to miss all the excitment around here. What was he banned for?
  • Options

Alert sounded at Merrivale Model Village!
    Ticket sales amongst the ladies soar
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Having a really tiny cock
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,376
    Airport experiences don’t get much better than this

• Options

DavidL said:

Oh, right.....is that a thing?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh, right.....is that a thing?
    Thats what she said!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DavidL said:

In serious response terms, being an obvious troll i guess
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    Leon said:

Where did you decide to go next?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,853

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

There are rumours going round especially in the USA that the shortage of airline staff and flight cancellations may be due to vaccine injuries,, could be rubbish but who knows

Look closer to home, at the number of BA pilots with vaccine injuries.
    Does anyone know what the theory is for why airline staff are especially prone to these vaccine injuries?
    The airline industry is well known for being full of gayers.

Which leaves them particularly vulnerable to illness.

I blame the sexual revolution.
    "Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiYoWQt1xQs

- which was wince-making even at the time ...
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Hmm. So the SG approach was right and the HMG one wrong. Who knew?
  • Options
    Again, he is conceding that his critics were right all along. The oddest thing about anyone who continues to support him, both inside & outside Parliament, is the way they keep allowing themselves to be betrayed & debased. Delusional or masochistic or both. https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/status/1540623255991721987
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    "You guys" began as a Californian pronoun, so of course it went around the world. Woke youth seem to prefer "folks" or "everybody", to avoid being cancelled for calling someone with ey/zem pronouns a guy. I've heard gender-neutral "lads" in Ireland.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    Here’s a simple prediction. Not a single government will be re-elected anywhere in the developed world over the next three years. Inflation will wipe them all out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/06/25/free-money-revolution-finally-eating-children/
  • Options
    Leon said:

What's the green stuff? (In the bowl, not on the screen.)
  • Options

Here’s a simple prediction. Not a single government will be re-elected anywhere in the developed world over the next three years. Inflation will wipe them all out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/06/25/free-money-revolution-finally-eating-children/

Macron was reelected literally a few weeks ago, and in any other country a parliamentary minority on 30% of the vote wouldn't be surprising.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A number of PBers glance round nervously.

Not me of course.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,757
    Has Johnson been deported to Rwanda? That's one I get behind. Let's hope the ECHR doesn't intervene. It would be racist to suggest anything is bad about the Rwanda destination for him, as Patel usefully pointed out.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,617
    micktrain said:

Oh and my mother's health suddenly deteriorated after the first jab so she's now a shadow of her former self, still keep silent and keep the money flowing in foxy

Was this the straw that broke the troll's back?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955

Foxy said:

boulay said:

It's absolutely none of my business what people post on here, and generally I'm at the freedom of speech end of the spectrum. But there is a line to be drawn.

So, how about an automatic ban on anybody who refers to other posters as 'mate' or 'pal'? Beyond the pale, in my view.

I’m more confused by someone using both - in my life there are people who call others “mate” and others who use “pal” but don’t recall anyone using both - I always thought it was a regional thing with “pal” being more Northern and “mate” more south….

I've used both depending on where I am. Mate in London, Pal in Scotland. Marra on Tyneside. I'm sure I have heard blokes calling each other Love elsewhere in the North, maybe Sheffield. Don't think I've used any on here though.
    It's a usage that I find odd, as usually "mate" or "pal" is used in a slightly hostile way, to mean its opposite.

All fairly random though, and often get patients calling me "mate", "me duck", or even "my love". The last seems mostly to come from older Gujeratis rather than Bristolians in my part of the world. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    I remember an incident someone (Nick Clegg, i think) had in Liverpool, ingratiatingly greeting a random passer-by:

Politician: Hello, friend!
    Liverpudlian: I'm not yer fooking friend.
    There's a quite striking scene in GBH where one of the characters is intimidating an elderly local Labour club member to get the nights donations off him. Quite an impressive bit of writing where the character explains "You know, friend. Sometimes when we use the word 'friend' we don't really mean "friend". Friend."

Well worth re-watching.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Not me of course.
    Stornoway black pudden comes to mind, for some inexplicable reason.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274

DavidL said:

Totally over the top anti-vax sentiments partly I think.
  • Options
    Oh, he is soooooo close to being right...

Boris Johnson says speculation over his future is driving British people ‘nuts’
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/25/boris-johnson-says-speculation-over-his-future-is-driving-british-people-nuts
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I’m havering between Montenegro and further explorations of Turkey

I think it will be Montenegro because I want a taste of the Med, and, also, my travels might be coming to an end in a couple of weeks and Montenegro looks like it packs a powerful travel punch, in a helpfully small package

Gonna miss Georgia tho. That stew in the photo is chicken chakapuli - tender pieces of chicken poached with green plums and tarragon. Gorgeous. A light summer stew with some crisp Musa wine

Even at the airport the food is great, and all obviously freshly made. I can see them cooking it up from where I sit in Tbilisi airport food court

All that and the cricket via VPN? I am spoiled
  • Options

DavidL said:

Totally over the top anti-vax sentiments partly I think.
    Worse still, calling everyone pal/mate. Even Glaswegians wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Not me of course.
    I thought you lot had all had the SNiP.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I think it will be Montenegro because I want a taste of the Med, and, also, my travels might be coming to an end in a couple of weeks and Montenegro looks like it packs a powerful travel punch, in a helpfully small package

Gonna miss Georgia tho. That stew in the photo is chicken chakapuli - tender pieces of chicken poached with green plums and tarragon. Gorgeous. A light summer stew with some crisp Musa wine

Even at the airport the food is great, and all obviously freshly made. I can see them cooking it up from where I sit in Tbilisi airport food court

*wavering*

havering means talking bollocks.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

So 'no track record' is an effing stupid thing to say in this context. Now, you might be correct if you say that Britain is uniquely incapable of replicating that success; that we are exceptionally poor. But the 'no track record in UAS' is a very poor argument.

Spirit used to be the panel beating department of Bombardier before Airbus fucked them. They have no background, expertise or capability in whole airframe design, avionics integration or RPAS. It was never a sound choice on any grounds other than trying to hold the fraying union together.

I have partial sympathy for the government not wanting to award to BAE who previously ran a UAS program from 2005 to 2015 that cost £200m and produced one aircraft that flew four times.

Muscling in on the MQ-28 program was the obvious move, even two years ago, but I don't think the MoD could psychologically handle being the junior partner to Australia.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Not me of course.
    My Tinder tag revealed..
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

I’m more confused by someone using both - in my life there are people who call others “mate” and others who use “pal” but don’t recall anyone using both - I always thought it was a regional thing with “pal” being more Northern and “mate” more south….

I've used both depending on where I am. Mate in London, Pal in Scotland. Marra on Tyneside. I'm sure I have heard blokes calling each other Love elsewhere in the North, maybe Sheffield. Don't think I've used any on here though.
    It's a usage that I find odd, as usually "mate" or "pal" is used in a slightly hostile way, to mean its opposite.

All fairly random though, and often get patients calling me "mate", "me duck", or even "my love". The last seems mostly to come from older Gujeratis rather than Bristolians in my part of the world. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    I remember an incident someone (Nick Clegg, i think) had in Liverpool, ingratiatingly greeting a random passer-by:

There's a quite striking scene in GBH where one of the characters is intimidating an elderly local Labour club member to get the nights donations off him. Quite an impressive bit of writing where the character explains "You know, friend. Sometimes when we use the word 'friend' we don't really mean "friend". Friend."

Well worth re-watching.
    I remember that as absolutely superb. It would be interesting to see if it has dated at all.

Edit Hatton "the only person in the world who does not seem to think that Michael Murray is me, is Alan Bleasdale".

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

*wavering*

Quite right. Wavering, vacillating, hesitating

Not havering. I blame the Musa wine
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Hmm. So the SG approach was right and the HMG one wrong. Who knew?
    Prediction: Massive unconditional support as long as noone has to pay for it.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

So 'no track record' is an effing stupid thing to say in this context. Now, you might be correct if you say that Britain is uniquely incapable of replicating that success; that we are exceptionally poor. But the 'no track record in UAS' is a very poor argument.

Spirit used to be the panel beating department of Bombardier before Airbus fucked them. They have no background, expertise or capability in whole airframe design, avionics integration or RPAS. It was never a sound choice on any grounds other than trying to hold the fraying union together.

I have partial sympathy for the government not wanting to award to BAE who previously ran a UAS program from 2005 to 2015 that cost £200m and produced one aircraft that flew four times.

Muscling in on the MQ-28 program was the obvious move, even two years ago, but I don't think the MoD could psychologically handle being the junior partner to Australia.
    Wouldn’t it be easier to licence the technology from Bayraktar, and use that as a starting point?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson is starting to sound like Friedrich Nietzsche in his final years of late stage syphiilis, when he was kept in an upstairs room, covered by a vast white sheet - exposing only his head - and exhibited by his sister to paying visitors who wanted to see the famous philosopher before he finally “went into the peaks”
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

*wavering*
    And ?

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to licence the technology from Bayraktar, and use that as a starting point?
    Are Bayraktar drones technologically advanced, or are they simply effective and reliable?

Having a lot of cheaper drones might well be better than having fewer more sophisticated ones. I do think it's worth the government encouraging a broad range of developments in this area though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    Dura_Ace said:

They'd probably do better giving it to an F1 team.
    They at least have a basic understanding of carbon fibre, electronics and aero.
    And getting stuff built to a deadline.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Boris Johnson is starting to sound like Friedrich Nietzsche in his final years of late stage syphiilis, when he was kept in an upstairs room, covered by a vast white sheet - exposing only his head - and exhibited by his sister to paying visitors who wanted to see the famous philosopher before he finally “went into the peaks”

There are no facts, only interpretations.
  • Options
    Chakapuli

I heartily recommend you try this. Works well with chicken (as they do it here)

However you need everything fresh and seasonal and the sour green plums might be an issue

https://nofrillskitchen.com/chakapuli-recipe/
  • Options
    MrBristolMrBristol Posts: 28
    micktrain said:

Oh and my mother's health suddenly deteriorated after the first jab so she's now a shadow of her former self, still keep silent and keep the money flowing in foxy

What is quote comic about the trolling, is that to think that anyone is in the NHS for 'all the free flowing money' is just absurd. Which can only lead me to believe whilst your English is good, you seem to be missing some cultural information from your employers.

As just a casual lurker here who seldom posts, your consist pokes towards Foxy just see so far off base. Foxy posts are always worth reading and they come across as a dedicated medical professional.

Bit surprised there isn't a rate limiting option for new posters, certainly in your case quantity is definitely impacting quality

Cheers,
    MrB
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chakapuli

However you need everything fresh and seasonal and the sour green plums might be an issue

That looks really rather nice. What do the unripe plums taste like, anything like gooseberries for example (the only sour fruit close I could think of)?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,878
    dixiedean said:

Boris Johnson tells Sky's @BethRigby people are "absolutely fed up" about hearing things that "I’d stuffed up" as he played down the party's by-election defeats. The arrogance of a broken PM he just goes from worse to rotten, he has no moral’s or decency what so ever.

https://twitter.com/politicalpics/status/1540650495790010370

Is this what it was like facing Corbyn for the Tories in the room

One solution might be to stop stuffing up...
    Not the government way. People hearing about stuffing up is far worse.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    Carnyx said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

There are rumours going round especially in the USA that the shortage of airline staff and flight cancellations may be due to vaccine injuries,, could be rubbish but who knows

Look closer to home, at the number of BA pilots with vaccine injuries.
    Does anyone know what the theory is for why airline staff are especially prone to these vaccine injuries?
    The airline industry is well known for being full of gayers.

Which leaves them particularly vulnerable to illness.

I blame the sexual revolution.
    "Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiYoWQt1xQs

- which was wince-making even at the time ...
    Do you remember Caledonian girls?
  • Options
    Travelling around Georgia must be a bit like travelling around France, in the 1950s, or 1920s, or even the 1850s

The food culture is excellent, varied, deeply rooted, and entirely unselfconscious (outside a few posh places in Tbilisi). It’s just what they do. All fresh, all seasonal, all cheap, all handmade, all great, all offered with a kind and relaxed smile. Enjoy!

Even at the airport! It’s like discovering fresh, yummy, home made, confit de canard at Charles de Gaulle for £3
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

*wavering*

Havering is just the other side of Barking, you know!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Bloody hell!
    Even Leach has gone 20/20.

England think they can win - they want to give themselves the time to do so.

Might not work, but makes sense.

Crash bang wallop is not my favourite style always, but I appreciated the last match had 2 scores over 500 and still had a result, which is rare
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

boulay said:

Well worth re-watching.
    I remember that as absolutely superb. It would be interesting to see if it has dated at all.

Edit Hatton "the only person in the world who does not seem to think that Michael Murray is me, is Alan Bleasdale".

It hold up pretty well IMO. As with a lot of 'old' telly, it can feel a bit slow to begin with. It's streaming on CH4 and Britbox.
  • Options
    Travelling around Georgia must be a bit like travelling around France, in the 1950s, or 1920s, or even the 1850s

The food culture is excellent, varied, deeply rooted, and entirely unselfconscious (outside a few posh places in Tbilisi). It’s just what they do. All fresh, all seasonal, all cheap, all handmade, all great, all offered with a kind and relaxed smile. Enjoy!

Even at the airport! It’s like discovering fresh, yummy, home made, confit de canard at Charles de Gaulle for £3
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Johnson confirms the only thing that would make him resign before the next general election as PM is if support for Ukraine became too difficult or costly and the government decided to abandon it

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61934851

Uh-oh. An undying oath of fealty from Johnson generally spells trouble for the counter-party.

Armatas on Khreshchatyk by Christmas.
    BJ will be shagging another freedom loving Eastern European state at that point and trying to get them a job with the EU.
    Estonia probably, but they can already do so.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Insufficently big, complex or expensive for Crab Air tastes.

That is a completely different role for that envisioned for LANCA/Mosquito and a mission that is already well served by 16 x Protector RG1.

Mosquito was going to be an attritable companion to crewed aircraft. So it would complement and accompany E-7, P-8 and F-35 on sorties just as MQ-28 does.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chakapuli

That looks really rather nice. What do the unripe plums taste like, anything like gooseberries for example (the only sour fruit close I could think of)?
    That’s pretty close, yes. Gooseberries could work, The sour plums and tarragon give it an agreeable tartness and a whack of umami

Just what you might want in summer if you desire something quite filling, yet not heavy; something to go with cold white wine, yet you don’t yearn for a salad, and you are bored of fish…

Serve with warm crusty bread. Mmm
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I presume anti vaxxing.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    edited June 2022
    EPG said:

"You guys" began as a Californian pronoun, so of course it went around the world. Woke youth seem to prefer "folks" or "everybody", to avoid being cancelled for calling someone with ey/zem pronouns a guy. I've heard gender-neutral "lads" in Ireland.

Y’all have run out of serious topics to discuss today?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chakapuli

That’s pretty close, yes. Gooseberries could work, The sour plums and tarragon give it an agreeable tartness and a whack of umami

Just want you want in summer if you desire something quite filling, yet not heavy; something to go with cold white wine, yet you don’t want a salad, and you are bored of fish…

I might try to recreate something along those lines. Enjoying your travel notes by the way.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I presume anti vaxxing.
    Also suspected of not being middle class enough for pb.com due to vernacular use of the word 'mate'. He has to post a photo of his BA Gold card before he's allowed back on.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,465
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

On topic. The answer is No.

Tactical voting didn’t play big in Thursdays elections, certainly not in Wakefield definitely not in size. Of Libdem win.

Johnson and low low Tory Shareprice is what won them.

But it is clear to me, both the left and the right want to talk up tactical voting at same time. The Boris fan club want to whinge about how unfair and anti democratic it is - the opposition parties want everyone to hear about it and think about it.

The reason that there wasn't much scope for LD to Lab tactical voting in Wakefield is that the LD vote had already been squeezed there. In 2010 the LD vote there was a respectable 16.3% but gone Labour in 2015 and stayed there.

There comes a point where a tactical vote is no longer tactical, but just becomes part of the new parties core vote.
    Even when their Shareprice dips as well? Rubbish Foxy, you don’t know what you are talking about or how to answer the post.

What is pushed by Tresher yesterday, Rentoul and Kellner in old thread header is juvenile psephology.

Firstly each by election night is different so not straightforward in what they are telling us, it was two mid term defences it could have been two opposition defences where Conservative vote has previously hardly amounted to anything, secondly tactical voting isn’t the reason for loss everywhere such as Lib Dems lost deposit Wakefield 2019.

There are places where Lab or Lib votes are both high, so you think some sort of collusion will make it much easier to beat the Tory, but it’s not straight forward as moving sheep from one field to another with a sheep dog, more like herding cats - think of the first hours of the coalition when Cameron said welcome to my coalition to Kennedy, and Charles replied fuck off, or the Burgon Bus with Sultana hostess driven to North Yorkshire - the maths of what you get from tactical push isn’t straightforward and could vary dramatically from place to place.

For the most part it happens organically anyway, even with a candidate still in place. Quite simply vox pop in Tiverton today will show Lab voters switching to Lib Dem to bash Boris, Tory voters switching to Lib Dem to bash Boris, these results would have happpened anyway at this mid term with unliked Boris, even without a big tactical cat herding.

The more interesting discussion for me is the role levelling up is playing in Tory constituencies in the south. When they are not getting funding for something, school repairs etc etc, they are blaming levelling up. But To what extent is this inherent vice of anger and “taken for granted not getting fair
    do’s” in Boris levelling up agenda is becoming a driver of Tory unpopularity in the blue wall and the Libdem success? Are Thresher, Kellner and Rentool talking about this yet? Maybe these slow and compromised psephologists will catch up soon. They are not as sharp as me.
    Very few people are TBF.
    That is so true 👍🏻
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Are Bayraktar drones technologically advanced, or are they simply effective and reliable?

Having a lot of cheaper drones might well be better than having fewer more sophisticated ones. I do think it's worth the government encouraging a broad range of developments in this area though.
    They’re not state-of-the-art technologically, but are small enough to be a pain in the arse to find with radar, whilst being big enough to carry a payload sufficient to take out an enemy tank.

There’s definitely a case for making a variety of sizes of drone, but all based on a similar control platform.

As always with defence procurement, there’s way too much re-inventing of the wheel.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

They’re not state-of-the-art technologically, but are small enough to be a pain in the arse to find with radar, whilst being big enough to carry a payload sufficient to take out an enemy tank.

There’s definitely a case for making a variety of sizes of drone, but all based on a similar control platform.

As always with defence procurement, there’s way too much re-inventing of the wheel.
    I'm a bit of a fan of wheel-reinvention! Different teams will learn different things in the process. You can of course go too far, but having essentially just one defence contractor is not a good thing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

*wavering*

Is that a philosophic-metaphysical observation?
  • Options
    Tory kremlinology. They already seem to be grappling with the realities of a post-Johnson reality.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-is-like-a-disease-inside-a-tory-party-shell-shocked-by-horrific-double-defeat-1706526

Apparently, the leadership contest will be one of Fizzy Lizzy, Ben "Anger Management" Wallace and the one with the enormous head vs Rat Eyes. We are truly blessed.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Tory kremlinology. They already seem to be grappling with the realities of a post-Johnson reality.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-is-like-a-disease-inside-a-tory-party-shell-shocked-by-horrific-double-defeat-1706526

Apparently, the leadership contest will be one of Fizzy Lizzy, Ben "Anger Management" Wallace and the one with the enormous head vs Rat Eyes. We are truly blessed.

Who's the enormous head?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think that there is a strong argument on drones to go cheap, cheerful and numerous. But our normal pattern is go for the most sophisticated one in the world and then decide we can afford about a dozen.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's the enormous head?
    Mordaunt? Sunak is, I think, Rat Eyes, He does indeed look like Roland Rat
  • Options
    Open invitation to all PBers to come out for the Greenwood Auto Show, right in front of my humble bode today here in beautiful, sunny (today anyway) and summery (ditto) Seattle!

Appears like were in for the first truly Summer day of the season. Plus the Auto Show, an annual event that is a BIG deal locally, was cancelled previous two years due to COVID.

So looking forward to (as Ed Sullivan used to say) a really big show today.

NOT a great fan of classic cars, or large crowds as a rule.

However, this is a exception for me. Because it's the one thing my hood does for the whole city, indeed region. Plus the people watching is even better than the car viewing, as the crowd is VERY diverse, a true melting pot. With all kinds of street food to match!
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's the enormous head?
    Hunt is rat eyes I think
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's the enormous head?

Zahawi. A tight shot of his melon while watching Kay Burley on an 85" TV will make you shit your breeks.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I'm a bit of a fan of wheel-reinvention! Different teams will learn different things in the process. You can of course go too far, but having essentially just one defence contractor is not a good thing.
    Yes and no. It’s good to have multiple contractors and capabilities, but governments also need to get away from seeing defence procurement as primarily a job creation programme.

I suspect that giving a drone project to the technology division of an F1 team, as suggested upthread, would lead to the sort of embarrassment to the establishment that we have seen with SpaceX in the US.
  • Options
    Leon, if you decided to head off to Crna Gora, definitely check out Kotor Bay. At one time a key base for the Austro-Hungarian Navy. And before & since a spectacular land & seascape.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Leon said:

The report on the BBC website makes it sound as though he is refusing to seek psychiatric help despite its clearly being needed.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,315
    Dura_Ace said:

They got some rum old anonymous Tories quoted in that article, blaming the by-election debacles on the voters 'lying on the doorstep' and 'the girls' on the Tory benches for grassing up Porn Man.
  • Options
    Fckn hell, just listening to Any Questions from Lerwick, the SNP panel member stuck in Inverness due to to a cancelled flight is utterly, and I mean utterly, inaudilble. You'd think after 2 two and a half years of Covid that a world beating broadcasting company would have sorted out distance contributions.
  • Options

Open invitation to all PBers to come out for the Greenwood Auto Show, right in front of my humble bode today here in beautiful, sunny (today anyway) and summery (ditto) Seattle!

Appears like were in for the first truly Summer day of the season. Plus the Auto Show, an annual event that is a BIG deal locally, was cancelled previous two years due to COVID.

So looking forward to (as Ed Sullivan used to say) a really big show today.

NOT a great fan of classic cars, or large crowds as a rule.

However, this is a exception for me. Because it's the one thing my hood does for the whole city, indeed region. Plus the people watching is even better than the car viewing, as the crowd is VERY diverse, a true melting pot. With all kinds of street food to match!

In the UK, there’s the Goodwood Festival of Speed on this weekend, an event that started with a guy with a big house inviting people to drive their nice cars up his driveway - and now, two decades later, there will be 100,000 people there over the weekend.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NC6fQ8EkASE is the live stream.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Dura_Ace said:

They got some rum old anonymous Tories quoted in that article, blaming the by-election debacles on the voters 'lying on the doorstep' and 'the girls' on the Tory benches for grassing up Porn Man.
    That clip of the Tory candidate entering the count, linked yesterday - I am sure she says she didn’t expect to lose.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Dura_Ace said:

"They have no background, expertise or capability in whole airframe design, avionics integration or RPAS."

Neither did Baykar.

Next point please.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Chakapuli

Just want you want in summer if you desire something quite filling, yet not heavy; something to go with cold white wine, yet you don’t want a salad, and you are bored of fish…

I might try to recreate something along those lines. Enjoying your travel notes by the way.
    Various supermarkets sell plums in a 'ripen at home' form. Might work for the texture even if you need a bit of gooseberry for the proper tartness. (Not having eaten the dish, I'm guessing of course!). Eg, https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-home-ripening-plums/088110-45093-45094
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Naturally. As the surely do NOT wish to blame the REAL culprits - themselves.

No wonder they are pumping their bilge undercover. Even worse scum than Boris.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's the enormous head?
    Hunt is rat eyes I think
    There are potentially three candidates for the Tory Rat Eyes moniker. Sunak, and Hunt and Raab

All have slightly narrow heads and rodenty beady eyes
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes and no. It’s good to have multiple contractors and capabilities, but governments also need to get away from seeing defence procurement as primarily a job creation programme.

I suspect that giving a drone project to the technology division of an F1 team, as suggested upthread, would lead to the sort of embarrassment to the establishment that we have seen with SpaceX in the US.
    Many years ago I visted the RAF museum at Cosford. There were (and I imagine are) an incredible variety of odd projects. A good number of companies were involved.

Anyway all of those companies were busy trying to outdo one another in terms of inventiveness, and that yielded results - Harrier, Concorde, and what should and would have been the great TSR2.

I think we would be better off if our defence procurement cast a much wider net.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I presume anti vaxxing.
    Also suspected of not being middle class enough for pb.com due to vernacular use of the word 'mate'. He has to post a photo of his BA Gold card before he's allowed back on.
    Who flys BA (at least round Europe). At least on KLM there was enough space to use my iPad Pro between my seat and the one in front of me. A Gold card doesn’t fix that issue
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,315
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's the enormous head?
    Had him more down as Kevin the Gerbil.

• Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

*wavering*

Is that a philosophic-metaphysical observation?
    "As cleanliness is next to godliness, so is havering next to barking"
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,078
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Hmm. So the SG approach was right and
    the HMG one wrong. Who knew?
    Popular =/= right

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,465
    MrBristol said:

micktrain said:

What is quote comic about the trolling, is that to think that anyone is in the NHS for 'all the free flowing money' is just absurd. Which can only lead me to believe whilst your English is good, you seem to be missing some cultural information from your employers.

As just a casual lurker here who seldom posts, your consist pokes towards Foxy just see so far off base. Foxy posts are always worth reading and they come across as a dedicated medical professional.

Bit surprised there isn't a rate limiting option for new posters, certainly in your case quantity is definitely impacting quality

Cheers,
    MrB
    Always good to see Bristols. 👍🏻
  • Options

Leon, if you decided to head off to Crna Gora, definitely check out Kotor Bay. At one time a key base for the Austro-Hungarian Navy. And before & since a spectacular land & seascape.

If I go to Montenegro - my probable choice - Kotor will be my first stop. It looks fecking incredible in photos. And UNESCO listed

I do like to tick off UNESCO listed places. I once met a German dentist (on Easter Island) who was dedicating his life to seeing them all. He knew it was a doomed task, the list gets longer every year, extending ahead of you, but he had done about 700, which was damn impressive
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

"They have no background, expertise or capability in whole airframe design, avionics integration or RPAS."

Neither did Baykar.

Next point please.
    It took Bayraktar 15 fucking years to produce something that is inferior in every way, apart from cost, to a platform the UK already has today. (Protector RG1). So if we want something that is not as good as something we already have in 2035 then the Bayraktar comparison is worthy and Spirit was a great idea.

LANCA/Mosquito was trying to do something far more complex and advanced with a company that was more than a decade away, on Bayraktar pace, of being able to produce a relative simple UAS.
  • Options
    Arderns arses are one down
This discussion has been closed.