Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters far from convinced that Johnson is going – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,858

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:
    CMI calculates 122,400 excess deaths in the UK since the start of the pandemic. The total has increased by 2,000 in 2022.

Cumulative mortality rates YTD are 0.1% of a full year’s mortality worse than 2019. 2/3 https://t.co/0oikxlDC9C

I think that there is a limit to how far back one can safely compare when looking at excess deaths, as population ageing effects start to intrude.

The problem of Omicron is more one of morbidity than mortality, lengthening hospital stay, etc.

Deaths running nearly 20% above normal now as shown by latest ons figures not that gps are interested, they are still in hiding
    Largely a recording effect from the prolonged Bank Holiday.

This is an interesting piece of work looking at the excess million deaths from covid in the USA, in particular the higher mortality in the young and middle aged.

https://covidactuaries.org/2022/06/20/excess-mortality-in-the-usa/
    FFS - have we got another ignoring-reporting-effects clown?

{picks up baseball bat and a handful of rust nails…}

Sir Malmesbury, your work is not yet done. Can you take up this final mission?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724

boulay said:

It's absolutely none of my business what people post on here, and generally I'm at the freedom of speech end of the spectrum. But there is a line to be drawn.

So, how about an automatic ban on anybody who refers to other posters as 'mate' or 'pal'? Beyond the pale, in my view.

I’m more confused by someone using both - in my life there are people who call others “mate” and others who use “pal” but don’t recall anyone using both - I always thought it was a regional thing with “pal” being more Northern and “mate” more south….

I've used both depending on where I am. Mate in London, Pal in Scotland. Marra on Tyneside. I'm sure I have heard blokes calling each other Love elsewhere in the North, maybe Sheffield. Don't think I've used any on here though.
    It's a usage that I find odd, as usually "mate" or "pal" is used in a slightly hostile way, to mean its opposite.

All fairly random though, and often get patients calling me "mate", "me duck", or even "my love". The last seems mostly to come from older Gujeratis rather than Bristolians in my part of the world. All part of life's rich tapestry.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,967
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

It's absolutely none of my business what people post on here, and generally I'm at the freedom of speech end of the spectrum. But there is a line to be drawn.

So, how about an automatic ban on anybody who refers to other posters as 'mate' or 'pal'? Beyond the pale, in my view.

I’m more confused by someone using both - in my life there are people who call others “mate” and others who use “pal” but don’t recall anyone using both - I always thought it was a regional thing with “pal” being more Northern and “mate” more south….

I've used both depending on where I am. Mate in London, Pal in Scotland. Marra on Tyneside. I'm sure I have heard blokes calling each other Love elsewhere in the North, maybe Sheffield. Don't think I've used any on here though.
    It's a usage that I find odd, as usually "mate" or "pal" is used in a slightly hostile way, to mean its opposite.

All fairly random though, and often get patients calling me "mate", "me duck", or even "my love". The last seems mostly to come from older Gujeratis rather than Bristolians in my part of the world. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    I’ve usually found “pal” to be used in a passive aggressive way - often experienced at a bar when you accidentally knock into someone and you hear the dread phrase “you alright, pal”….. not asking about my welfare.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,053
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

I knew a couple of blokes from the South Yorkshire area who would call many people they were friendly with - male or female - "petal" and "flower"

Aye up petal, fancy the pub?

Not strangers though.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    micktrain said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

micktrain said:

James Melville going in heavy on vaccine injuries now Same as Mark Steyn on GB news

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1540091478076280833?s=20&t=q6Q79A-Ei_bSi3GDYp0i-Q

You joined the site 48 hours ago and have made 117 posts, roughly one every 25 minutes unless I’m mistaken. Are you doing this for a living somewhere perhaps?

Eh, I've probably done more.
    Yes you have mate and I must say your output is impressive
    His posts are quite good too...😀
  • Options
    micktrainmicktrain Posts: 137

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:
    CMI calculates 122,400 excess deaths in the UK since the start of the pandemic. The total has increased by 2,000 in 2022.

Cumulative mortality rates YTD are 0.1% of a full year’s mortality worse than 2019. 2/3 https://t.co/0oikxlDC9C

I think that there is a limit to how far back one can safely compare when looking at excess deaths, as population ageing effects start to intrude.

The problem of Omicron is more one of morbidity than mortality, lengthening hospital stay, etc.

Deaths running nearly 20% above normal now as shown by latest ons figures not that gps are interested, they are still in hiding

This is an interesting piece of work looking at the excess million deaths from covid in the USA, in particular the higher mortality in the young and middle aged.

No wrong deaths rose above the seasonal trend in May and have continued above in June, the snowball has started
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,523
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

There are rumours going round especially in the USA that the shortage of airline staff and flight cancellations may be due to vaccine injuries,, could be rubbish but who knows

Look closer to home, at the number of BA pilots with vaccine injuries.
    Does anyone know what the theory is for why airline staff are especially prone to these vaccine injuries?
    The airline industry is well known for being full of gayers.

Which leaves them particularly vulnerable to illness.

I blame the sexual revolution.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

There are rumours going round especially in the USA that the shortage of airline staff and flight cancellations may be due to vaccine injuries,, could be rubbish but who knows

Does anyone know what the theory is for why airline staff are especially prone to these vaccine injuries?

Your theory seems a bit queer to me.

Although not as queer as the thinking of our pal here…

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,499
    micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

No wrong deaths rose above the seasonal trend in May and have continued above in June, the snowball has started
    Sigh

Monoliths for you, later, when I have time.
  • Options

Could we club together and get a better class of troll? Is there a Platinum Deluxe category?

Just an ordinary bloke asking questions mate, you should try it sometime
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Could we club together and get a better class of troll? Is there a Platinum Deluxe category?

He asks two questions in that very post!
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Interesting that you assumed that the troll I was talking of, was you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

Your theory seems a bit queer to me.

Although not as queer as the thinking of our pal here…

Your thinking has a certain…. bent… to it
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Oh do fuck off. This forum is packed with intelligent, successful men and women who come here to discuss political betting, politics and test cricket. Frankly there is more than enough expertise on here to have shown up the media as the shower they are during covid. We understand statistics and data. We know that there is a novel virus still raging round the country and the globe. We also know that sadly some are dying. Right now those people are mostly ill with something else (pace @Foxy’s 20% admitted for covid stat of yesterday).
    I don’t know what argument you think you will have here.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2022
    micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

You mean when all the deaths from the spring surge of Covid, >200 deaths a day, were registered?

Say it ain't so.
  • Options

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Oh do fuck off. This forum is packed with intelligent, successful men and women who come here to discuss political betting, politics and test cricket.
    Some of us like to make awesome puns too!

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,361
    Stalin’s To Do List

… in Stalin’s SECRET UNDERGROUND PRINTING LAIR. Hidden away in the humdrum outskirts of Tbilisi

• Options
    ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Oh do fuck off. This forum is packed with intelligent, successful men and women who come here to discuss political betting, politics and test cricket.

And plan for the relocation of the DfE…..

• Options
    My neighbour had a stroke 2 months after her booster
    My other neighbour told me she's in chronic pain after the booster and it's ruined her health
    My 3rd neighbour has just gone into hospital
    3 anecdotes right there What are the medical profession covering up foxy
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516

Given what else we've discovered about Russian capabilities in recent years, there's a chance that we're seeing platinum deluxe russian trolling here.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

The ultimate accolade is the Leon Award for Fantastical Excess. AFAIK no one has qualified yet....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

On that subject, how’s that space rocket coming along?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,177
    Leon said:

Stalin’s To Do List

… in Stalin’s SECRET UNDERGROUND PRINTING LAIR. Hidden away in the humdrum outskirts of Tbilisi

He doesn’t look anything like the other pictures of him I’ve seen.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    I see the BBC are doing their usual "nothing to see here'" over the Oslo gay bar shooting. Compare and contrast with the WSJ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61933817

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shooting-outside-gay-nightclub-in-norway-kills-two-sparks-terrorism-investigation-11656149242

WSJ manages to identify the background of the shooter, which the BBC somehow can't force itself to admit.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,453
    OT today's Google doodle seems to be Anne Frank of diary fame.
    https://www.google.co.uk/
  • Options
    micktrain said:

My other neighbour told me she's in chronic pain after the booster and it's ruined her health

Correlation does not equal correlation. Everyone who heathers air dies eventually. Should we ban air? Or just for pathetic antivaxxer trolls?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    micktrain said:

Ages, prior medical history, and a diagnosis for no 3 please
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

Given what else we've discovered about Russian capabilities in recent years, there's a chance that we're seeing platinum deluxe russian trolling here.
    We should be proud as a forum, that we managed to get upgraded to the Level 3 troll, after the first two lasted only a batter of minutes before finding the ban hammer wielded. A more subtle attempt at pointless division was needed.
  • Options
    Oh and my mother's health suddenly deteriorated after the first jab so she's now a shadow of her former self, still keep silent and keep the money flowing in foxy
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006
    Carnyx said:

While on the topic of blaming the woman (with some spreading to Mr J) - Graun feed reports:

'The i reports one saying: “Parish shouldn’t have resigned.

“He should have just gone away with his wife for a few weeks and then come back to the job. I don’t know why the girls had to speak out like that.”

Another suggested the witnesses would “feel like a turd in the swimming pool”.

On Johnson, a Tory MP said: “It’s like a disease. The prime minister is infecting the cabinet, and if the Tory party doesn’t act in the next six months we will all be infected by him.”'

Original is here but ££.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-is-like-a-disease-inside-a-tory-party-shell-shocked-by-horrific-double-defeat-1706526

Problem with that argument is that Bozo has been infecting the cabinet for over 2 years it's just a lot of people haven't noticed until now.
  • Options
    Oh no, Jamie Overton.
  • Options
    Oh Jamie Overton.
  • Options
    I’ve never really been one to say that England bat deep, but No.8 almost getting a century on debut is a definite shifting of the Overton window in the Test Match game.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

micktrain said:

Correlation does not equal correlation. Everyone who heathers air dies eventually. Should we ban air? Or just for pathetic antivaxxer trolls?
    I was once singing under a man called David Russell Hulme, a brilliant conductor but very temperamental. Some people kept breathing in the wrong place and he glared at them and said ‘Dangerous to do that. Everyone who breathes, dies.’

Speaking of dangers, real shame for Jamie Overton, joining Bob Taylor as a lower order fight backer who goes for 97.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

IshmaelZ said:

micktrain said:

The point is James Melville is saying coverage of vaccine injuries is being suppressed, you may disagree with him but it's important to have the debate, or do we live in North korea

We got on fine not having the debate till you showed up, and we will get on fine after rcs decides he has had enough of you

Melville's thesis is: previously healthy people, are getting ill. That in my experience is how getting ill has always worked.
    I doubt it will be long before 'rcs' acts but in the meantime the cricket is about to start and a day away from politics beckons
    I suppose if I had taken a vaccine that questions are now being asked about by substantial figures I would go into denial too
    The clock is ticking and the cricket has started
    Yesterday I had a double free in the afternoon due to exam classes leaving. I had hoped to watch the cricket while I was working but I was very busy and forgot to put it on.

We all make mistakes…
    TMS reports the Headingley bars were full at 9.30 this morning...
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Oh and my mother's health suddenly deteriorated after the first jab so she's now a shadow of her former self, still keep silent and keep the money flowing in foxy

Funny that. I’ve not known anyone who has had any long term impacts from the vaccine. My anecdote beats your anecdote. Checkmate chum! (Have we done “chum” yet?).

Are you in Brum BTW?
  • Options
    Oh dear, that’s a shame. The troll is banned and Overton misses out in a ton.

I shall go and get my watch fixed. Later.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,453
    MrEd said:

I see the BBC are doing their usual "nothing to see here'" over the Oslo gay bar shooting. Compare and contrast with the WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shooting-outside-gay-nightclub-in-norway-kills-two-sparks-terrorism-investigation-11656149242

WSJ manages to identify the background of the shooter, which the BBC somehow can't force itself to admit.

Norway has cancelled the Pride march so it looks like the baddies have won.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

I was once singing under a man called David Russell Hulme, a brilliant conductor but very temperamental. Some people kept breathing in the wrong place and he glared at them and said ‘Dangerous to do that. Everyone who breathes, does.’

Speaking of dangers, real shame for Jamie Overton, joining Bob Taylor as a lower order
    fight backer who goes for 97.
    Shot his bolt....
    Fantastic innings, nevertheless.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear, that’s a shame. The troll is banned and Overton misses out in a ton.

I shall go and get my watch fixed. Later.

Say it ain’t so!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    I see our newest person has now been banned.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

I was once singing under a man called David Russell Hulme, a brilliant conductor but very temperamental. Some people kept breathing in the wrong place and he glared at them and said ‘Dangerous to do that. Everyone who breathes, does.’

Speaking of dangers, real shame for Jamie Overton, joining Bob Taylor as a lower order
    fight backer who goes for 97.
    Shot his bolt....
    Fantastic innings, nevertheless.
    Yes, and I think Overton batted well as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The Overton Window has been broken
  • Options

micktrain said:

Sounds bloody dangerous being his neighbour, though.
    Cooking novichok in the kitchen, perhaps.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The Overton Window as been broken

Hoping Bairstow gets a move on now...
  • Options
    micktrain said:

Yes, the medical profession want to cover up medical problems because...because, er, reasons.

Even if all three were related to the booster, there were potential if rare side effects well advertised.
  • Options
    Where did our pet troll go? Just when we were having fun with conspiracy theories about pilots getting vaccine injuries.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

micktrain said:

Yes, the medical profession want to cover up medical problems because...because, er, reasons.

Even if all three were related to the booster, there were potential if rare side effects well advertised.
    I had a shit 24 hours after my Pfizer booster. As bad a night as I’ve had since my cancer treatment some ten years ago.
    Totally worth it.
    To my knowledge I’ve not yet had covid.
    I’d do it again right now.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

Foxy said:

micktrain said:

On that subject, how’s that space rocket coming along?
    Flight hardware being stacked - Starship 24 and Booster 7…
  • Options

kle4 said:

micktrain said:

I had a shit 24 hours after my Pfizer booster. As bad a night as I’ve had since my cancer treatment some ten years ago.
    Totally worth it.
    I’ve had Covid once, symptoms of a mild cough for 48 hours, vaccines totally worth it.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,967
    If the NASUWT go on strike will micktrain’s next generation be patrickblackboard?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

micktrain said:

But the statistical odds of 3 different very rare side effects happening to close neighbours has to be far higher than the statistical odds that a troll is an anti-vaccine looney...
  • Options
    edited June 2022

kle4 said:

micktrain said:

Totally worth it.
    Relative of mine yesterday (in between fantasies of physically harming Boris) said they refuse to get a further shot as they had a poor reaction to the Moderna. I hope most plough on in that situation
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

micktrain said:

Sounds bloody dangerous being his neighbour, though.
    Cooking novichok in the kitchen, perhaps.
    Or perhaps too many visits to cathedrals?
  • Options
    boulay said:

If the NASUWT go on strike will micktrain’s next generation be patrickblackboard?

Criminal barristers are on strike next week so JohnnyThief?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,208

A starting point certainly. I’ve noticed a surge of ‘chap’ as a term of online familiarity in the last decade, eg ‘you’ve done wonders restoring those magnesium alloy wheels, chap’. Summary execution in those cases.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

micktrain said:

Totally worth it.
    Relative of mine yesterday (in between fantasies of physically harming Boris) said they refuse to get a further shot as they had a poor reaction to the Moderna. I hope most plough on in that situation
    I’d had AZ for the first two shots, so it was my first mRNA, which may have played a part. Or it could just be the immune systems response having had the first two doses to prime it.
    As I said, I’d be first in the queue again, and will take the chance if offered (age, asthma, work etc).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    Johnson confirms the only thing that would make him resign before the next general election as PM is if support for Ukraine became too difficult or costly and the government decided to abandon it

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61934851
  • Options

A starting point certainly. I’ve noticed a surge of ‘chap’ as a term of online familiarity in the last decade, eg ‘you’ve done wonders restoring those magnesium alloy wheels, chap’. Summary execution in those cases.
    Had a gas engineer round the other day and he kept calling me sir. Must have been of the old school style.
  • Options

I’m pressing for the return of “Chum”. I thought it’s use by Leeroy Jenkins would popularise it but, sadly, 16 years on still no traction.
  • Options
    Well, at 55/6 I was sure we’d be following-on, and Eagles would be getting his money back for tomorrow. What an achievement to get the scores level, from Bairstow, Overton and now Broad.
  • Options
    I missed another troll? :(
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    Scores level.
    What were the odds at 55-6?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    England complete comeback and lead by 1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Johnson confirms the only thing that would make him resign before the next general election as PM is if support for Ukraine became too difficult or costly and the government decided to abandon it

Excellent news for the opposition. Also bollocks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,097
    The discussion reminds me of this from Dave Allen:

"Listen to me, pal..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA
  • Options
    Eyes emoji.

England are level with New Zealand, having taken 61 overs to make 329 (for 7). NZ took 117.3 overs.
  • Options

I’m hanging on by my fingernails
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I’m hanging on by my fingernails
    How are you Doug?
  • Options
    Lowest % to say 'coronavirus restrictions' that we've recorded.

Which issues would most determine how Britons would vote in a General Election, if there were to be one tomorrow? (19 June)

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Do the Tories have any answers?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

How are you Doug?

Good, good! You?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson tells Sky's @BethRigby people are "absolutely fed up" about hearing things that "I’d stuffed up" as he played down the party's by-election defeats. The arrogance of a broken PM he just goes from worse to rotten, he has no moral’s or decency what so ever.

https://twitter.com/politicalpics/status/1540650495790010370

Is this what it was like facing Corbyn for the Tories in the room
  • Options

Which issues would most determine how Britons would vote in a General Election, if there were to be one tomorrow? (19 June)

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    HYUFD said:

Uh-oh. An undying oath of fealty from Johnson generally spells trouble for the counter-party.

Armatas on Khreshchatyk by Christmas.
  • Options

Boris Johnson tells Sky's @BethRigby people are "absolutely fed up" about hearing things that "I’d stuffed up" as he played down the party's by-election defeats. The arrogance of a broken PM he just goes from worse to rotten, he has no moral’s or decency what so ever.

https://twitter.com/politicalpics/status/1540650495790010370

Is this what it was like facing Corbyn for the Tories in the room

One solution might be to stop stuffing up...
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrEd said:

Just had the BBC R4 bulletin tell me that the shooter was a Norwegian citizen of Iranian background, and the shooting was a hate crime. You post and the BBC immediately reacts, impressive!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I’m pressing for the return of “Chum”. I thought it’s use by Leeroy Jenkins would popularise it but, sadly, 16 years on still no traction.
    Never mind, old boy.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
    We will see a lot of Governments going soon IMHO after overseeing the current crisis
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Never mind, old boy.

When I used to lead my beginners running group, I used to refer to all as ‘guys’, despite almost all being female. No one seemed to mind.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,973
    Aggregate Results of the 15 Council By-Elections since the 2022 Locals:

LAB: 5 (+2)
    LDM: 3 (+3)
    CON: 3 (-7)
    GRN: 2 (+2)
    IND: 1 (-)
    OTH: 1 (-) https://t.co/2oW66p43n3

With the caveat that 2 losses Thursday were from a majority of 4 votes and a dead heat, the message is being consistently delivered from all angles. Wake up, buttercups
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
    We will see a lot of Governments going soon IMHO after overseeing the current crisis
    You can make an argument that the longer Johnson hangs around, and the later the election is, the better it is for labour. Would Starmer really want to take over in 6 weeks time? Better to let things go over the next 18 months, see hopefully signs of recovery in the economy, have the Tories forced to make the tough decisions.
    A bit like 1997.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
    You can make an argument that the longer Johnson hangs around, and the later the election is, the better it is for labour. Would Starmer really want to take over in 6 weeks time? Better to let things go over the next 18 months, see hopefully signs of recovery in the economy, have the Tories forced to make the tough decisions.
    A bit like 1997.
    The utilitarian solution of greatest happiness of the greatest number expressed over both short and long terms is crying out for an immediate election. But its all a bit Jim and the Indians at an individual level.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,556

Farewll then micktrain
    You have left the PB station
    Are you looking for another platform ?

Micktrain
    Was a pain
    But he'll be back
    Again.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
    A bit like 1997.
    The utilitarian solution of greatest happiness of the greatest number expressed over both short and long terms is crying out for an immediate election. But its all a bit Jim and the Indians at an individual level.
    The next GE is likely to be over 2 years away and who knows where we will be then

Broad throwing the bat is very entertaining

Was
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Never mind, old boy.

When I used to lead my beginners running group, I used to refer to all as ‘guys’, despite almost all being female. No one seemed to mind.
    I've always used folk - simply because it's gender neutral and used to complete throw any Europeans when they first appeared on a conference call.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,356
    edited June 2022

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

micktrain said:

"Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?"
  • Options

Farewll then micktrain
    You have left the PB station
    Are you looking for another platform ?

Micktrain
    Was a pain
    But he'll be back
    Again.
    The poster banned as Micktrain
    Will come back again and again
    Im not sure which post
    Annoyed me the most
    But he's a twat
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Never mind, old boy.

"Guys" took some getting used to when I moved to Canada.
    Generically and ubiquitously used for all plural groups regardless of gender.
    Even chipmunks, raccoons, and ants.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

dixiedean said:

Economy 58%
    Healthcare 52%
    Education 27%
    Immigration 24%
    Taxation 23%
    Housing 21%

Does anyone anywhere?
    A bit like 1997.
    The next GE is likely to be over 2 years away and who knows where we will be then

Broad throwing the bat is very entertaining

Was
    Indeed it is. But looking at the headwinds there is an argument for now being the less damaging boil lancing and red team cross infection technique.
    Madness that won't happen but will be a what if in year 10 of opposition
  • Options
    Bloody hell!
    Even Leach has gone 20/20.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Uh-oh. An undying oath of fealty from Johnson generally spells trouble for the counter-party.

Armatas on Khreshchatyk by Christmas.
    BJ will be shagging another freedom loving Eastern European state at that point and trying to get them a job with the EU.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Foxy said:

boulay said:

I remember an incident someone (Nick Clegg, i think) had in Liverpool, ingratiatingly greeting a random passer-by:

Politician: Hello, friend!
    Liverpudlian: I'm not yer fooking friend.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bloody hell!
    Even Leach has gone 20/20.

England think they can win - they want to give themselves the time to do so.

Might not work, but makes sense.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,953

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Never mind, old boy.

I was listening to a podcast a while back and one of the men who presents it was talking about spending an agonising three hours in a meeting with other men trying to decide on an 'inclusive' gender-neutral term with no resolution.

He went back home and had a brilliant idea! Why not ask his wife? So he did. And she replied 'Just say "you guys" - that's what I do!". His mind was blown.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,356
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Never mind, old boy.

"Guys" took some getting used to when I moved to Canada.
    Generically and ubiquitously used for all plural groups regardless of gender.
    Even chipmunks, raccoons, and ants.
    I think I first heard "Hey, you guys!" in the cartoon Rugrats. The babies were both girls and boys.
This discussion has been closed.