Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Next Thursday looks like being a “mini referendum” on the PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,485
    HYUFD said:

Yougov. Would you prefer your children to study for a degree or do an apprenticeship?

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Leavers Apprenticeship 56%

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1538115066200981505?s=20&t=VGA1FQQWBV_3HS6SnWXgbg

What a magnificent piece of twaddle. Children vary. Some are delighted to spend 4 years studying Akkadian philology with a year abroad learning Sumerian, others prefer hairdressing apprenticeships. Fortunately most of them listen politely to their parents and do exactly as they please. Leave them alone.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,033
    HYUFD said:

Yougov. Would you prefer your children to study for a degree or do an apprenticeship?

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1538115066200981505?s=20&t=VGA1FQQWBV_3HS6SnWXgbg

An expensive higher education should be the exclusive right of the upper classes (whoever they may be). Isn't that right HYUFD?

My view is, if three years reading for a non- vocational university degree is good enough for Boris Johnson, it is not too good for my children.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

Wow! This is horrific. How the British Empire treated the men who died in support of the regime:

The long-held explanation is grisly: according to reports made soon after the conflict, the bones were collected, pulverised and turned into fertiliser for agricultural use.

“It is certainly a singular fact that Great Britain should have sent out multitudes of soldiers to fight the battles of this country upon the continent of Europe, and should then import the bones as an article of commerce to fatten her soil!” the London Observer reported in November 1822.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jun/18/mystery-of-waterloos-dead-soldiers-to-be-re-examined-by-academics

What a ludicrous take, there were more Belgians and Dutch in Wellington's forces at Waterloo v Napoleon than non Europeans from the emerging British Empire.

Not to mention the Prussians joined the British too later in the battle
    Huh? Who said anything about “non-Europeans”? You have a very odd interpretation of the term British Empire excluding the Irish, Welsh, Scots, Manx or English.
  • Options

Also "wage restraint" is the biggest load of shit going. It's always the lower paid who have to show "wage restraint" whilst criticising high earners for not showing "earnings restraint" is seen as what, class warfare or the politics of envy?

I wonder why.

Spot on.

Dickhead Tories = good
    Normal people = bad

That’s the Yookay in a nutshell.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

An expensive higher education should be the exclusive right of the upper classes (whoever they may be). Isn't that right HYUFD?

My view is, if three years reading for a non- vocational university degree is good enough for Boris Johnson, it is not too good for my children.
    I wonder how many of the numerous (final number tbc) Johnson sprogs will be applying for apprenticeships?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

4 years
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Statistically unless you go to a Russell Group university you earn more over a lifetime doing a higher level apprenticeship than going to university

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/higher-apprenticeships-lead-greater-earnings-most-degrees

• Options
    HYUFD said:

‘Workers cannot expect pay rises to keep up with soaring cost of living, Treasury warns’

In other words: brace yourselves for a real decline in living standards.

Why the fuck shouldn’t we expect pay rises to keep up with inflation??
    As it drives inflation further and we are back to the 1970s
    It would suit you Tories to drag society back to the Middle Ages, with the peasants doing what they are telt by twats like you.
  • Options
    Times says when Phatboi was foreign sec he tried to get Carrie made chief of staff concealing fact of their relationship

What else would you expect,?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

Wow! This is horrific. How the British Empire treated the men who died in support of the regime:

The long-held explanation is grisly: according to reports made soon after the conflict, the bones were collected, pulverised and turned into fertiliser for agricultural use.

“It is certainly a singular fact that Great Britain should have sent out multitudes of soldiers to fight the battles of this country upon the continent of Europe, and should then import the bones as an article of commerce to fatten her soil!” the London Observer reported in November 1822.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jun/18/mystery-of-waterloos-dead-soldiers-to-be-re-examined-by-academics

What a ludicrous take, there were more Belgians and Dutch in Wellington's forces at Waterloo v Napoleon than non Europeans from the emerging British Empire.

Huh? Who said anything about “non-Europeans”? You have a very odd interpretation of the term British Empire excluding the Irish, Welsh, Scots, Manx or English.
    None of them were colonies of the Empire no, they were all people of the United Kingdom in 1815
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,566
    HYUFD said:

Good questions Rory, good questions.

Is "Devon's Choice" an actual publication or just a Tory leaflet?

If the latter, "Our view on the by-election Why we're backing Helen Hurford" is a bit disingenuous, to put it mildly.
    It is by far the best chance to scrape a Tory win in the by election though, with a good local candidate the focus
    Being converted to LD tactics I see. Those tactics you said you deplored a week or so ago. Even getting into the language - ' focus'
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,346

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

‘Workers cannot expect pay rises to keep up with soaring cost of living, Treasury warns’

In other words: brace yourselves for a real decline in living standards.

Why the fuck shouldn’t we expect pay rises to keep up with inflation??
    As it drives inflation further and we are back to the 1970s
    Then clearly we never fixed the problem.
    Thatcher and Major did through tight controls on spending and wage restraint. It can come back again as it already is starting to after the Ukraine war and excess demand post lockdown
    There will be no control on spending Though. The Tory client vote demands the money tap being left on.
    And that's the government's (and indeed the country's) problem.

Inflation is nature's way of telling us that we can't have as many nice things as we would like. We should talk about who is protected, how to minimise and distribute the pain, but the bottom line is Fewer Nice Things overall.

There are a few problems for the UK in 2022, though.

For a start, very many people have zero capacity to absorb financial pain. Largely because so much income and wealth goes to homeowners.

Next, we have a Prime Minister who is really bad at saying no to spending.

Finally, we are a country (and the ruling generation is super bad at this) who think that we're entitled to Nice Things on demand at less than cost, because we're British or something.

Prediction: this spells trouble for Britain and it's government, especially as 30 months before the General Election is not the time to embark on this sort of project. Thatcher, Blair, Cameron all got their painful bits out of the way early. Johnson's has barely begun.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who mentioned non Europeans? English, Scottish and Irish troops were as much defenders of the Empire as anyone. I believe at least half of Wellington's British troops were Irish and Scottish.
    They weren't part of the Empire but the Union of the UK.

Indeed most of the Empire in Africa and the Middle East for example had not yet been created and in India, Australia, Canada and New Zealand it was only barely emerging.
    You really are a fool of rank.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

None of them were colonies of the Empire no, they were all people of the United Kingdom in 1815
    People of the territories according to Thatcher mini me.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Was there an "it's up to them, they are free individuals with agency" option?
    Public sector Degree Apprenticeship pays £25k aged 18 (with a 26% pension contribution and the degree paid for by the State).

Average starter graduate salary is £24,000 see https://www.savethestudent.org/student-jobs/whats-the-expected-salary-for-your-degree.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567

I mentioned this at the start of the day - but in any case here is the original paper, which is on open access:

https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/yjca20

Interesting issues of how reliable apparen t eyewitness artists can be, and whether or not they really did gather and process the bones for fertiliser (does seem to have happened on some battlefields).

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

I wonder how many of the numerous (final number tbc) Johnson sprogs will be applying for apprenticeships?
    When one of the Royals opts for an NVQ in Health and Social Care. That will be the measure of an equal opportunity society.
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151
    Hi Cyclefree,
    I read your post with some interest. I know nothing about the ECHR but am against an unknown foreign Judge ruling against our Government policy before our own law courts have.
    My background is I'm sure very different to yours - the vast majority of people that I know who voted Leave were mainly former Labour voters - I voted for Nick Palmer in 1997, 2001 and 2005 - had left Broxtowe by 2010.
    However the attitude shown to Labour Leavers by Labour after 2016 was disgusting - being called a racist and a moron etc which still continues today.
    All three of my granddaughters voted Leave.
    The Tories are not particularly popular I think with Labour Leavers - see the popularity of The Ashfield Independents in my patch Hucknall but in a straight fight with Labour will still vote for Boris.
    The strange thing is I most probably agree 90% with CHB and his policies except of course on Brexit - do I regret voting Leave? No always thought it would take us a long time to get the benefits assuming there are any.
    Are there any Labour activists who voted Leave on PB?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

When one of the Royals opts for an NVQ in Health and Social Care. That will be the measure of an equal opportunity society.
    The Queen was a mechanic in the War, Princess Margaret's son was a carpenter
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Mr Armstrong-Jones would be mortified to read that! He's a furniture designer and joiner.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,485
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Statistically unless you go to a Russell Group university you earn more over a lifetime doing a higher level apprenticeship than going to university

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/higher-apprenticeships-lead-greater-earnings-most-degrees

I attended what are now Russell group universities, as did my wife and all my children. It always was and is still a terrible idea to do so for the money.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

What a magnificent piece of twaddle. Children vary. Some are delighted to spend 4 years studying Akkadian philology with a year abroad learning Sumerian, others prefer hairdressing apprenticeships. Fortunately most of them listen politely to their parents and do exactly as they please. Leave them alone.
    We don't need no thought control.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

I mentioned this at the start of the day - but in any case here is the original paper, which is on open access:

https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/yjca20

Interesting issues of how reliable apparen t eyewitness artists can be, and whether or not they really did gather and process the bones for fertiliser (does seem to have happened on some battlefields).

I think the use of the teeth of the Waterloo dead for falsers is pretty much incontravertible? Personally I'd see that as lack of C19th squeamishness as much as lack of respect for the dead. Odd that that pragmatism existed alongside a horror of dead bodies used for dissection.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    Democrats in trouble in the USA according to Smarkets:

House control: 85% Republican
    Senate control: 77% Republican

https://smarkets.com/listing/politics/us/2022-house-and-senate-elections
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Mr Armstrong-Jones would be mortified to read that! He's a furniture designer and joiner.
    Since when have you not needed an apprenticeship to become a joiner?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Lol, Yoons so desperate that they're reduced to bigging up Scotland. I wonder who is the 'we' that Murdo keeps referring to who will be losing all that good shit?

“We lose … roughly 1/3 of the land mass of Great Britain, probably about half of our territorial waters, we lose the magnificent resource that is Scottish fishing waters, we lose the opportunities from North sea oil and gas (still there despite Nicola Sturgeon’s best efforts), we lose the potential for renewable energy from Scotland’s coasts in the North Sea and the Atlantic, we lose access to barrier-free trade for scotch whisky and scotch salmon, all these fantastic exports, and the opportunity to study at some of the world’s greatest universities … and the joy of having Scots as part of the great British nation … why would you want to throw all that away?”

https://twitter.com/eRestUK/status/1538045258348519424?s=20&t=kkH5IARydJ_XkEEbTlYl2Q

And Scots lose the biggest and wealthiest city in Europe, the largest financial centre in Europe, the 2 best universities in Europe and membership of the G7, G20 and permanent membership of the UN Security Council
    Moscow's not in the UK.

As for the unis, I reckon Hull would be interested in an offer from Scotland.
    It is. It's just outside Kilmarnock. I have a picture of me aged 7 standing next to the road sign.
    And Houston is in Renfrewshire.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As opposed to just being what they're called.

https://civilservice.blog.gov.uk/2015/08/14/the-role-of-a-territorial-office/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Democrats in trouble in the USA according to Smarkets:

House control: 85% Republican
    Senate control: 77% Republican

https://smarkets.com/listing/politics/us/2022-house-and-senate-elections

In the House maybe, in the Senate the Democrats still lead in key Senate seats up in November like Arizona and Pennsylvania

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Senate_elections
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Eeh, it were hell, bread and dripping and belted if you answered back.

'Followed by the pre-preparatory section of Ashdown House School, East Sussex, then on to Millbrook House School, near Abingdon, in Oxfordshire, and finally to Bedales School, where he developed a passion for arts and crafts. From 1980 to 1982 he studied at Parnham House in the small town of Beaminster in Dorset, for craftsmen in wood.'

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

I can't believe the average years worked is the same in each case. Apprentices may start three years earlier but my impression is there are not many trades in their early or mid 60s. The work is also more strenuous and not resilient to physical challenges. Finally I would be stunned if pensions are comparable on average.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Where's the English territorial office based?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting research report regarding long Covid.

Persistent circulating SARS-CoV-2 spike is associated with post-acute COVID-19 sequelae
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.14.22276401v1.full.pdf

Spike protein was detected up to twelve months after infection in individuals showing long Covid symptoms, but in none of the (previously infected, but fully recovered) control group.
    It’s a relatively small study, but the results look quite robust.

Also interesting is that it seems the majority of those reporting long Covid symptoms are women (there are significant differences in immune response between the sexes).

One for you

“The chances that COVID leaked from China’s secretive virology lab in Wuhan are “99.9%,” but the World Health Organization (WHO) will probably never be able to prove it, Johns Hopkins Professor Marty Makary told “Morning Wire,” in an exclusive interview Friday.

“The WHO probe is taking place even as China goes on the offensive, claiming the virus that has killed over 6 million people worldwide started in the U.S. But Makary, a best-selling author and surgeon, said it has always been obvious where it originated.
    “For a lot of scientists, it’s 99.9% likely,” Makary said. “And it’s the default hypothesis until proven otherwise.””

https://twitter.com/mzee26/status/1538044024120037381?s=21&t=tuKMKmD-SGVzI4FwLTGdUw

99.9%

An interesting number to attach to something you also state can’t be proved.
    Doesn’t sound much of a scientist.
    He's a surgical oncologist who has been opining a lot on immunology and virology and often has opinions published that are at odds with leading immunologists and virologists.

He informed us all that only 20% of Americans needed to be vaccinated for covid to vanish, and it would all be gone by April 2021. He's one of the go to scientists for the antivaxxers as well.
    It was, of course, a bunch of “leading virologists” who told us the Lab Leak Hypothesis was a “racist conspiracy theory”, and forbade us from even talking about it
    I hope you're not drifting back to posting links from far right crazies. You've done less of that in recent times, credit where credit's due.
    It's a good idea to follow Chris Rufo on twitter. That way you get a 3-month headstart on what ridiculois concocted American Right Wing culture war "issue" Leon will be spouting about.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't have its own Parliament unlike the other 3, so the UK PM is also effectively English FM
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    If you are not paying attention to Herschel Walker then do you even enjoy politics at all?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

English civil service takes colonial attitude towards the Irish, Scots and Welsh. I’m shocked I tells ya.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

'Followed by the pre-preparatory section of Ashdown House School, East Sussex, then on to Millbrook House School, near Abingdon, in Oxfordshire, and finally to Bedales School, where he developed a passion for arts and crafts. From 1980 to 1982 he studied at Parnham House in the small town of Beaminster in Dorset, for craftsmen in wood.'

So he studied craftsmanship at Parnham House where he did his apprenticeship in furniture making
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

How the landed classes treat their dimmer offspring.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

4 years
    I read for just three years at what is now a Russell Group University. Does that make me Mr Johnson's inferior?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't have its own Parliament unlike the other 3, so the UK PM is also effectively English FM
    Aside from the word effective being attached to BJ, he's effectively English FM and actually the minister for the Union? No conflict of interest there d'ye think?

I love tone deaf Tory dimwits unwittingly revealing the actualité of the Union, long may it continue.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

I do wonder whether you will be fighting tooth and claw for your offspring to attend a Russell Group University, or alternatively will you be signing them up for an apprenticeship with Tata Steel?

I suspect I know the answer.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In the same place as the English parliament I assume. England is the big, ugly home nation we don't speak of. We certainly don't need a department looking after its interests.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The District of Columbia.

The Trident Sales Agreement = Bought and Sold for American Gold

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Lol, Yoons so desperate that they're reduced to bigging up Scotland. I wonder who is the 'we' that Murdo keeps referring to who will be losing all that good shit?

“We lose … roughly 1/3 of the land mass of Great Britain, probably about half of our territorial waters, we lose the magnificent resource that is Scottish fishing waters, we lose the opportunities from North sea oil and gas (still there despite Nicola Sturgeon’s best efforts), we lose the potential for renewable energy from Scotland’s coasts in the North Sea and the Atlantic, we lose access to barrier-free trade for scotch whisky and scotch salmon, all these fantastic exports, and the opportunity to study at some of the world’s greatest universities … and the joy of having Scots as part of the great British nation … why would you want to throw all that away?”

https://twitter.com/eRestUK/status/1538045258348519424?s=20&t=kkH5IARydJ_XkEEbTlYl2Q

And Scots lose the biggest and wealthiest city in Europe, the largest financial centre in Europe, the 2 best universities in Europe and membership of the G7, G20 and permanent membership of the UN Security Council
    Moscow's not in the UK.

It is. It's just outside Kilmarnock. I have a picture of me aged 7 standing next to the road sign.
    So you're saying Hyufd's wrong and Scotland would keep Moscow, Europe's largest city, in the event of independence?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

I do wonder whether you will be fighting tooth and claw for your offspring to attend a Russell Group University, or alternatively will you be signing them up for an apprenticeship with Tata Steel?

Depends how bright they are. If they are an A* or A grade student I would certainly suggest they aim for a Russell Group university and to become a doctor or lawyer etc.

If not I would suggest they aim for an apprenticeship
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Very interesting research report regarding long Covid.

Persistent circulating SARS-CoV-2 spike is associated with post-acute COVID-19 sequelae
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.14.22276401v1.full.pdf

Spike protein was detected up to twelve months after infection in individuals showing long Covid symptoms, but in none of the (previously infected, but fully recovered) control group.
    It’s a relatively small study, but the results look quite robust.

Also interesting is that it seems the majority of those reporting long Covid symptoms are women (there are significant differences in immune response between the sexes).

One for you

“The chances that COVID leaked from China’s secretive virology lab in Wuhan are “99.9%,” but the World Health Organization (WHO) will probably never be able to prove it, Johns Hopkins Professor Marty Makary told “Morning Wire,” in an exclusive interview Friday.

“The WHO probe is taking place even as China goes on the offensive, claiming the virus that has killed over 6 million people worldwide started in the U.S. But Makary, a best-selling author and surgeon, said it has always been obvious where it originated.
    “For a lot of scientists, it’s 99.9% likely,” Makary said. “And it’s the default hypothesis until proven otherwise.””

https://twitter.com/mzee26/status/1538044024120037381?s=21&t=tuKMKmD-SGVzI4FwLTGdUw

99.9%

An interesting number to attach to something you also state can’t be proved.
    Doesn’t sound much of a scientist.
    He's a surgical oncologist who has been opining a lot on immunology and virology and often has opinions published that are at odds with leading immunologists and virologists.

He informed us all that only 20% of Americans needed to be vaccinated for covid to vanish, and it would all be gone by April 2021. He's one of the go to scientists for the antivaxxers as well.
    It was, of course, a bunch of “leading virologists” who told us the Lab Leak Hypothesis was a “racist conspiracy theory”, and forbade us from even talking about it
    I hope you're not drifting back to posting links from far right crazies. You've done less of that in recent times, credit where credit's due.
    It's a good idea to follow Chris Rufo on twitter. That way you get a 3-month headstart on what ridiculois concocted American Right Wing culture war "issue" Leon will be spouting about.
    Please tell me that “Chris Rufo” is not another one of Sean’s sockpuppets.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aside from the word effective being attached to BJ, he's effectively English FM and actually the minister for the Union? No conflict of interest there d'ye think?

I love tone deaf Tory dimwits unwittingly revealing the actualité of the Union, long may it continue.
    No as his UK PM role ie ultimate responsibility for income tax, defence, foreign policy etc is separate to his role as English FM and responsibility for English domestic policy and health and education and the police etc in England
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I look forward to Tories henceforth referring to The Oaf as being English FM.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought Douglas Ross had committed to Holyrood now?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,378
    IshmaelZ said:

Times says when Phatboi was foreign sec he tried to get Carrie made chief of staff concealing fact of their relationship

How tacky. In a way, she's de facto Chief of Staff now isn't she?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

So you're saying Hyufd's wrong and Scotland would keep Moscow, Europe's largest city, in the event of independence?
    Moscow is not Europe's wealthiest city by gdp, London is.

It is not even Europe's largest city by population, Istanbul is
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

To be honest I couldn't make head nor tail of HYUFD's post. Was it coded?

I just added a quirk of geographical place names into the mix for light relief.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

Moscow is not Europe's wealthiest city by gdp, London is
    But it is the largest.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.
    It isn't by population or area, Istanbul is
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765
    Leon said:

About to go for a hike here in the Armenian Caucasus

Remarkably I have been told to carry a big stick and stamp it loudly on the ground, every few metres. to frighten off “all the snakes”

Even more remarkably, I’ve been told to be really careful “in case there are bears”

Bears?? In Armenia?? But apparently it is so. Lots of them. So I was wrong about “the lack of fauna”

And yet it looks like this. Completely benign

Meant to send you this link earlier in case you need help on your travels interpreting the local views:

https://www.peakfinder.org

The map viewing tool is very addictive…
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    I wouldn't dream of suggesting what education or career my children should pursue. And if I did I would be extremely disappointed if they took a blind bit of notice.
    It's their life not mine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Depends how bright they are. If they are an A* or A grade student I would certainly suggest they aim for a Russell Group university and to become a doctor or lawyer etc.

It's not about bright. Your offspring will attend the finest state Grammar Schools and benefit from the best cramming courses money can buy.

Tell me I was wrong when the time comes, although you will likely require a ouija board to find me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

"Here was I, diggin' this hole, a hole in the ground, so deep and very round...".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.
    How much of Istanbul is in Europe?
  • Options
    Geraint Thomas of Wales had a terrific day in the Swiss mountains today, and is looking FAV to win the Tour de Suisse in tomorrow’s final time trial.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought Douglas Ross had committed to Holyrood now?
    Oafs, Chancers, Bounders, Goofballs, Cads and Clowns a-plenty in the Brexit Revolutionary Party.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

If the latter, "Our view on the by-election Why we're backing Helen Hurford" is a bit disingenuous, to put it mildly.
    It is by far the best chance to scrape a Tory win in the by election though, with a good local candidate the focus
    Being converted to LD tactics I see. Those tactics you said you deplored a week or so ago. Even getting into the language - ' focus'
    I continue to think that young HY will end up as a Lib Dem - though probably not until he lies on his death bed, many years from now. He will expire, uttering the famous last words, "Yes, you were right all along. Boris Johnson was definitely not worth it."
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Unethical oaf does as unethical oafs do.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

I continue to think that young HY will end up as a Lib Dem - though probably not until he lies on his death bed, many years from now. He will expire, uttering the famous last words, "Yes, you were right all along. Boris Johnson was definitely not worth it."
    Or perhaps a la Bertrand Russell: 'Good Lord! The ontological argument works!'
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.
    It is considered a European city even if it straddles Europe and Asia.

It was of course originally Constantinople, at one time capital of the Roman Empire
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

It was of course originally Constantinople
    It was originally Byzantium, and renamed Constantinople when it was refounded by Constantine the Great. Not sure whether that was before or when he moved his capital to it (which was in 330).

To answer my own question since you don't seem to want to, it's two thirds. So although it is the largest city to have some part of its mass in Europe, that part which is in Europe falls nearly half-way between Moscow and London in size.

Although actually, you have at least conceded London is not the largest city and therefore your original comment was wrong in that regard.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't exist.
    I hope it does, otherwise I need you to have Mercia pon me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

It was of course originally Constantinople, at one time capital of the Roman Empire
    That would’ve been news to the citizens of Lygos, Byzantium, Augusta Antonina and Alma Roma.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

"Here was I, diggin' this hole, a hole in the ground, so deep and very round...".
    Brilliant. I think this should be the standard reply when hyufd does his jet powered goal posts.

@hyufd why oh why are you so incapable of just saying I didn't mean
    the largest? Your argument was still valid. Why is that so hard for you to do? I do it all the time.
  • Options
    Interview with sweaty Geraint Thomas as he gasps for breath: “I blew my tits a bit.” 😄
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,684

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Relatedly, I just read the interesting lunch-with-the-FT interview with Hillary Clinton

She says, and I paraphrase: “All that matters is beating Trump, the election is the only issue, he has to lose” - and one can empathise with her urgency

But she comes close to saying ANYTHING is justified as long as it helps to defeat Trump. Anything? Like, lying about the probable origins of a global catastrophe for a year? Or getting the FBI to smear Trump? Or worse?

This is the TGV to Civil War. Once you believe your opponent is so evil you can justify doing anything to stop him, then he and his supporters will feel the same about stopping you. That cannot end well

Trump and his supporters are responsible for Trump, not Clinton, not scientists, the left or anyone else. He crossed the line. He undermined democracy. His supporters attacked the Capitol.

It is not unreasonable to want to defeat him.
    it is extremely desirable to beat Trump. He is a menace to the world, especially the West

The trickier question is: how much his horribleness justifies illegal or immoral behaviour in his opponents
    You should be more worried about what he and his supporters will do.
    I am worried about both. As Hillary herself says in that FT interview, both sides have gone mad at the extremes: the Woke Left and the Trumpite right. They are only 10-20% of each side but they are highly vocal, super motivated and they are driving America to civil conflict
    Worth repeating the point that people on here are always more sympathetic to the left. They don't see the dangers of the "woke" left. The best stance is to be critical of both extremes. You may still have to vote for one of the two options, but this is the type of "least worst" decision forced on you by democracy. In the UK, it is possible to detest Boris Johnson but still vote Conservative, because you see a greater danger in the 'progressive' alternatives.
    Some award due for getting so much wrong in one short post, Congratulations. Most importantly, if you detest someone and see dangers in voting for them, Don’t vote for them.
    QED. You don’t see the dangers of the Woke Left because you don’t even recognise there is a problem

This is multiplied a hundred times over in the American Left, which means they will continue goading and provoking the Right, and which means the Right will return fire, and then some

Which leads to the polling we saw yesterday, with Trump - Trump! - leading Biden as the preferred president

Both sides have to lay down their arms; neither will, because both firmly believe their cause is righteous
    Extreme woke as perversion of some sentiment long forgotten that as an ideology is close to McCarthyism....
    A large part of that, though not all, is a confection of right wing media.
    And there are as a result, of course, two sides to that coin.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/georgia-dei-crt-schools-parents
    Perhaps @Leon's right after all - there is such a thing as a Cancel Culture, judging by that Propublica article.
    Cancel culture, very definitely, exists. And it is vile

“Clanchy isn’t sure if she has actually been cancelled. “My books have been depublished, which is very unusual. I have lost my living. Everyone I know has suffered, all of my personal relationships have suffered. So I’ve suffered and I’m shamed and I’m unhappy a lot of the time – I don’t know if that’s cancelled enough? I’m not dead.” She has been called a white supremacist, accused of “Nazi-adjacent thinking”, and says that some “quite respectable people” mocked her bereavement online.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jun/18/the-book-that-tore-publishing-apart-harm-has-been-done-and-now-everyones-afraid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Tom Gordon@HTScotPol·34m
    Calls for SNP's Ian Blackford to step down over "absolute, full support" of shamed Patrick Grady

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1538158214998634496
  • Options
    Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't exist.
    Oh, sorry, we forgot.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,239
    Just read that story about Ian Blackford.

😳
  • Options

Interview with sweaty Geraint Thomas as he gasps for breath: “I blew my tits a bit.” 😄

That conjures quite a mental image. Of contortionism...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England doesn't exist.
    I hope it does, otherwise I need you to have Mercia pon me.
    Ah dinnae Kent whit he’s on aboot.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

That would’ve been news to the citizens of Lygos, Byzantium, Augusta Antonina and Alma Roma.
    Constantine 1st still declared it to be the new capital of the Roman empire
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Tom Gordon@HTScotPol·34m
    Calls for SNP's Ian Blackford to step down over "absolute, full support" of shamed Patrick Grady

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1538158214998634496

How does it feel to be back in the teens after the demise of the Ruth Davidson Party?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

It was originally Byzantium, and renamed Constantinople when it was refounded by Constantine the Great. Not sure whether that was before or when he moved his capital to it (which was in 330).

To answer my own question since you don't seem to want to, it's two thirds. So although it is the largest city to have some part of its mass in Europe, that part which is in Europe falls nearly half-way between Moscow and London in size.

Although actually, you have at least conceded London is not the largest city and therefore your original comment was wrong in that regard.
    On that argument then you could exclude Russian and Turkish cities as both are part in Europe and part in Asia.

In which case just looking at countries solely in Europe, London is the largest city in Europe as well as the wealthiest by gdp
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

On that argument then you could exclude Russian and Turkish cities as both are part in Europe and part in Asia.

In which case just looking at countries solely in Europe, London is the largest city in Europe as well as the wealthiest by gdp
    The state of this
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Really. You would recommend all A/A* student to become lawyers or doctors. No other profession? Never crossed my mind, never crossed my son's mind, never crossed the mind of most A/A* students. Do we have too many mathematicians, physicists, chemists, economists, engineers, etc, etc.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

Not even willing to concede a minor, forgivable error. The king of pig-headedness, on an obscure blog of ace pig-heads.
  • Options
    So it turns out “a modest hike” in the Armenian Caucasus is just a tiny bit more challenging than the equivalent walk in the Malverns. Even though they look strikingly similar in places
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

No Hyufd, Istanbul is a special case as one-third of the city itself is on the east side of the Bosporus and the rest is on the west side. Moscow is entirely to the west of the Urals.
  • Options

Just read that story about Ian Blackford.

😳

If he's forced to resign, that's a terrible blow to hopes for the future of the Union. The SNP are already pretty well all dominant in Scottish politics. Imagine if they had somebody in a position of leadership who didn't look like a sleazy nomark?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,074

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

4 years
    I read for just three years at what is now a Russell Group University. Does that make me Mr Johnson's inferior?
    3 for me, Imperial, where I was a disgrace. Uni for me was just about leaving home and going down to London. Skipped all lectures and tutorials, did little but mess around, didn't even try to get a proper job afterwards. My immaturity and recklessness astounds me when I contemplate it now (which I try not to).
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

4 years
    Well he is obv one third again more educated than you
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

Really. You would recommend all A/A* student to become lawyers or doctors. No other profession? Never crossed my mind, never crossed my son's mind, never crossed the mind of most A/A* students. Do we have too many mathematicians, physicists, chemists, economists, engineers, etc, etc.
    Doctor or lawyer etc

FUDHY illustrates the Tory mindset that is crushing England: Fuck business, Fuck science, Fuck innovation, Fuck productivity, Fuck workers, Fuck enterprise.

With the Tories screwing ethics and propriety in public life and the economy it’ll soon be only lawyers and doctors in gainful employment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

Not even willing to concede a minor, forgivable error. The king of pig-headedness, on an obscure blog of ace pig-heads.
    But he’s absolutely right

Istanbul is regarded as a European city, not least because it was originally a European village - Byzantion - on the European side of the waters and all its key Roman buildings were in Europe and even now its greatest monuments and its business heart and its Ottoman districts and its emotional core, is all in Europe, from Hagia Sofia to the Blue Mosque to the Topkapi Palace and its preserved footprints of the Prophet

So, yes, Europe
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

I said lawyers, doctors etc. Not lawyers and doctors alone.

So that does not exclude the other professions you named which would be suitable for A*, A students
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

Istanbul is regarded as a European city, not least because it was originally a European village - Byzantion - on the European side of the waters and all its key Roman buildings were in Europe and even now its greatest monuments and its business heart and its Ottoman districts and its emotional core, is all in Europe, from Hagia Sofia to the Blue Mosque to the Topkapi Palace and its preserved footprints of the Prophet

So, yes, Europe
    Except what he said was that London 'is Europe's largest and wealthiest city.'

The second part is right. The first part was not. In fact, whether you include all of Istanbul or not, it's only the third largest city in Europe.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

Denver is in Norfolk.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

So, yes, Europe
    Beautifully obscuring the fact that I wasn’t responding to that bit, but rather to his statement “It was of course originally Constantinople”.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    edited June 2022
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Relatedly, I just read the interesting lunch-with-the-FT interview with Hillary Clinton

She says, and I paraphrase: “All that matters is beating Trump, the election is the only issue, he has to lose” - and one can empathise with her urgency

But she comes close to saying ANYTHING is justified as long as it helps to defeat Trump. Anything? Like, lying about the probable origins of a global catastrophe for a year? Or getting the FBI to smear Trump? Or worse?

This is the TGV to Civil War. Once you believe your opponent is so evil you can justify doing anything to stop him, then he and his supporters will feel the same about stopping you. That cannot end well

Trump and his supporters are responsible for Trump, not Clinton, not scientists, the left or anyone else. He crossed the line. He undermined democracy. His supporters attacked the Capitol.

It is not unreasonable to want to defeat him.
    it is extremely desirable to beat Trump. He is a menace to the world, especially the West

The trickier question is: how much his horribleness justifies illegal or immoral behaviour in his opponents
    You should be more worried about what he and his supporters will do.
    I am worried about both. As Hillary herself says in that FT interview, both sides have gone mad at the extremes: the Woke Left and the Trumpite right. They are only 10-20% of each side but they are highly vocal, super motivated and they are driving America to civil conflict
    Worth repeating the point that people on here are always more sympathetic to the left. They don't see the dangers of the "woke" left. The best stance is to be critical of both extremes. You may still have to vote for one of the two options, but this is the type of "least worst" decision forced on you by democracy. In the UK, it is possible to detest Boris Johnson but still vote Conservative, because you see a greater danger in the 'progressive' alternatives.
    Some award due for getting so much wrong in one short post, Congratulations. Most importantly, if you detest someone and see dangers in voting for them, Don’t vote for them.
    QED. You don’t see the dangers of the Woke Left because you don’t even recognise there is a problem

This is multiplied a hundred times over in the American Left, which means they will continue goading and provoking the Right, and which means the Right will return fire, and then some

Which leads to the polling we saw yesterday, with Trump - Trump! - leading Biden as the preferred president

Both sides have to lay down their arms; neither will, because both firmly believe their cause is righteous
    Extreme woke as perversion of some sentiment long forgotten that as an ideology is close to McCarthyism....
    A large part of that, though not all, is a confection of right wing media.
    And there are as a result, of course, two sides to that coin.
    Perhaps @Leon's right after all - there is such a thing as a Cancel Culture, judging by that Propublica article.
    Cancel culture, very definitely, exists. And it is vile

“Clanchy isn’t sure if she has actually been cancelled. “My books have been depublished, which is very unusual. I have lost my living. Everyone I know has suffered, all of my personal relationships have suffered. So I’ve suffered and I’m shamed and I’m unhappy a lot of the time – I don’t know if that’s cancelled enough? I’m not dead.” She has been called a white supremacist, accused of “Nazi-adjacent thinking”, and says that some “quite respectable people” mocked her bereavement online.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jun/18/the-book-that-tore-publishing-apart-harm-has-been-done-and-now-everyones-afraid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Hatred exists for sure, but not just on the left. Did you read the Propublica article?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

But it is the largest.

No Hyufd, Istanbul is a special case as one-third of the city itself is on the east side of the Bosporus and the rest is on the west side. Moscow is entirely to the west of the Urals.
    But Europe as a continent makes no sense when you reach its eastern edge. Which just happens to be where I am right now, Sipping could red Areni wine and staring at the Armenian Caucasus

Geographers might argue I am still in Europe, but why? What makes the Caucasus special? Or indeed the Urals? Why not make the desert the barrier, or the steppes, why mountains?

Europe is a fiction as a continent, but it IS a civilisation and a culture. But even then it blurs. Some days I think Armenia is Asian, other days it feels very European. Likewise the people

Moscow feels more Asian to me than Istanbul. Especially at the moment
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

ISW
    @TheStudyofWar
    ·
    1h
    - Unconfirmed Ukrainian sources report that the Kremlin fired the Commander of the Russian Airborne Forces, Colonel-General Andrey Serdyukov, due to mass casualties among Russian paratroopers.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1538150378197372935
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    edited June 2022

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

Denver is in Norfolk.
    Norfolk enchants pal.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Degree 35%
    Apprenticeship 44%

Remainers Degree 50%

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Moscow's not in the UK.

Denver is in Norfolk.
    And Hollywood is in North Ayrshire - they should sue that upstart Californian suburb!
This discussion has been closed.