Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Yorkshire Party for 3rd place in Wakefield? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pope Francis has said Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine was “perhaps somehow provoked” as he recalled a conversation in the run-up to the war in which he was warned Nato was “barking at the gates of Russia”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/14/pope-francis-ukraine-war-provoked-russian-troops

Whoops. If that quote is accurate, I think he may come to regret saying it.
    Time to sanction the Bishop of Rome and The Vatican.
    I think one of the problems of post-WWII western imperialism is that they/we perceive there to be only "one" side. It appears the Pope doesn't subscribe to this world view.
    Generally when someone invades a country, there really is only one side. The imperialist in this case is Russia.

What 'provocation' do you see here ?
    Well if you ask me to step into Putin's no doubt exquisitely handcrafted shoes I would say that, having been "at war" with NATO for several decades, and then having been rebuffed when they asked to join NATO following the fall of the Berlin Wall, that there was an anxiety about NATO's intentions with, seemingly, no restraining force able to act on it. Plus there is the "Greater Russia" view, of which I am not too clear on the details, but I think the name gives a general clue.
    So the provocation is for an independent nation not to have accepted that they should have remained a Russian vassal ?

"I think one of the problems of post WWII western imperialism..." sounds a bit odd in that context.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    Farooq said:

Impressive press conference from Sturgeon. Right now you can count me as on board.

Contrary to the popular "she's happy on the status quo gravy strain" refrain I think she's going to pull it off or die trying.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2022
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jun/14/bbc-to-pay-30000-to-bangladeshi-labour-councillor-for-identity-mix-up

The BBC has agreed to pay £30,000 in damages to a British Bangladeshi Labour councillor after it mixed her up with Apsana Begum in a news item about the MP facing housing fraud charges.

A statement read out in court on Tuesday said: “The misidentification caused Ms Begum particular distress because it seemed another example of the BBC, and the media generally, misidentifying BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) people, which fed into racist tropes.

Presumably, someone at the BBC Googled the name and took an image from there without knowing what the correct person looked like.

I object to the idea that this is restricted to non-white people. The Guardian managed to pay tribute to Johan Cryuff by printing a picture of Rob Rensenbrink:

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/713277338620977152/photo/1

The Guardian themselves have done it on a number of occasions. They don't google it, they take the images from subscriptions to the likes of Getty images and plenty of innocent mistakes where tags have been applied to a collection of photos say an event where multiple individuals are present (but not in that specific photo).

I remember as a lowly intern as a student my first job was going through a huge collection of photos (not of public individuals, much more boring things) and checking / correcting all the tags.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Impressive press conference from Sturgeon. Right now you can count me as on board.

Contrary to the popular "she's happy on the status quo gravy strain" refrain I think she's going to pull it off or die trying.
    Yes, the "she doesn't really want it" refrain was always daft.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

SNP bloke on WATO struggling a bit on how the England Scotland border is going to work once they are in the EU.

This matters quite a bit in the bandit country of the Scottish Borders and north Cumbria (soon to be Cumberland).
    Sturgeon gave a pretty assertive answer earlier, based on the Common Travel Area.
    TOPPING said:

Your analogy would be more convincing were it not for the fact that we’re talking about an agreement made just a few years ago by the same government. We’re not talking about righting some great historical wrong: we’re talking about the Conservatives making signing this treaty their central manifesto pledge and now, a short time later, decrying the exact same treaty as fundamentally broken.

Just like when debating with @HYUFD when he is on a roll I get the feeling that you can state this transparently obvious truth to @Bart as often as you want and the essential truthness of it still won't get through to him.

To be charitable I hope he ( @Bart ) is actually saying that he gets this just that it is phenomenally bad politics conducted by phenomenally bad politicians.

Although he keeps on forgetting to add that last bit to his posts.
    Nobody wants an echo chamber on here but for meaningful debate there does have to be some commonly accepted truths - and one of these is that Boris Johnson needed a Brexit deal for the GE and he acted in bad faith to get one.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    I see 'if you don't like here we'll send you to Rwanda' is the new cry of the racist hard of thinkers.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Pope Francis has said Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine was “perhaps somehow provoked” as he recalled a conversation in the run-up to the war in which he was warned Nato was “barking at the gates of Russia”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/14/pope-francis-ukraine-war-provoked-russian-troops

I think one of the problems of post-WWII western imperialism is that they/we perceive there to be only "one" side. It appears the Pope doesn't subscribe to this world view.
    Generally when someone invades a country, there really is only one side. The imperialist in this case is Russia.

Well if you ask me to step into Putin's no doubt exquisitely handcrafted shoes I would say that, having been "at war" with NATO for several decades, and then having been rebuffed when they asked to join NATO following the fall of the Berlin Wall, that there was an anxiety about NATO's intentions with, seemingly, no restraining force able to act on it. Plus there is the "Greater Russia" view, of which I am not too clear on the details, but I think the name gives a general clue.
    So the provocation is for an independent nation not to have accepted that they should have remained a Russian vassal ?

"I think one of the problems of post WWII western imperialism..." sounds a bit odd in that context.
    I'm not up on my Russian history but in general how do you think the history of the world and of countries has evolved over the past 2,000+ years.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited June 2022
    Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

SNP bloke on WATO struggling a bit on how the England Scotland border is going to work once they are in the EU.

This matters quite a bit in the bandit country of the Scottish Borders and north Cumbria (soon to be Cumberland).
    Sturgeon gave a pretty assertive answer earlier, based on the Common Travel Area.
    That refers to a human border, rather than a goods border.

The CTA could remain, but the EU would insist on a hard customs border between England and Scotland if they wanted to join the EU Customs Union.

It wasn’t an issue last time, when the SNP assumption was that both England and Scotland were in the EU CU, and there wouldn’t need to be a border.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jun/14/bbc-to-pay-30000-to-bangladeshi-labour-councillor-for-identity-mix-up

The BBC has agreed to pay £30,000 in damages to a British Bangladeshi Labour councillor after it mixed her up with Apsana Begum in a news item about the MP facing housing fraud charges.

A statement read out in court on Tuesday said: “The misidentification caused Ms Begum particular distress because it seemed another example of the BBC, and the media generally, misidentifying BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) people, which fed into racist tropes.

Presumably, someone at the BBC Googled the name and took an image from there without knowing what the correct person looked like.

I object to the idea that this is restricted to non-white people. The Guardian managed to pay tribute to Johan Cryuff by printing a picture of Rob Rensenbrink:

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/713277338620977152/photo/1

The Guardian themselves have done it on a number of occasions. They don't google it, they take the images from subscriptions to the likes of Getty images and plenty of innocent mistakes where tags have been applied to a collection of photos say an event where multiple individuals are present (but not in that specific photo).

I remember as a lowly intern as a student my first job was going through a huge collection of photos (not of public individuals, much more boring things) and checking / correcting all the tags.
    ISTR this happening to H from Steps?
    His photo appearing alongside the conviction of the other Ian Watkins?
    Bloody nightmare.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Your analogy would be more convincing were it not for the fact that we’re talking about an agreement made just a few years ago by the same government. We’re not talking about righting some great historical wrong: we’re talking about the Conservatives making signing this treaty their central manifesto pledge and now, a short time later, decrying the exact same treaty as fundamentally broken.

Just like when debating with @HYUFD when he is on a roll I get the feeling that you can state this transparently obvious truth to @Bart as often as you want and the essential truthness of it still won't get through to him.

To be charitable I hope he ( @Bart ) is actually saying that he gets this just that it is phenomenally bad politics conducted by phenomenally bad politicians.

I don't think doing whatever was required to get Brexit done, then revisiting the NI situation once we have a trade agreement and are post-Brexit is phenomenally bad politics, I think it is very smart politics
    And there is the nub. There are those who think negotiating a policy and then moments later reneging on it is bad politics conducted by bad politicians; and then there are those who think it is strategic genius.

I think @kinabalu's explanation of how we got here is pretty obviously on the money.
    Kinabalu is mostly right at first but goes into a blind alley at the end and is wrong at the end.

The problem is that too many people seek to let the unachievable perfect be the enemy of the good enough for now. I don't think the Withdrawal Agreement was a bad deal, I don't think it was a perfect deal, I think it was a good enough deal for then - but then is not now.

I never doubted there'd be problems post-Brexit, Brexit is a major reformation so of course there would be teething issues but lets not forget were we where three years ago. We were in a hysterical position where we were stuck in Article 50 limbo, unable to act, unable to get anything done, with people freaking out about all sorts of problems that were fictional. We had people on this site claiming that there'd be no strawberries on shelves at supermarkets, that there'd be no planes able to fly, that their partners could die as their medicine couldn't come across the border etc

I said then we needed to get out, find the teething problems, then fix them. The withdrawal agreement was good enough to do that, but now we're out, we need to fix any teething issues. If we'd remained trapped in Article 50 purgatory seeking to fix every hypothetical problem before we left, we'd never have left, which is of course what some wanted.

Only three years have passed since the Protocol wage agreed, but those three years might as well be a lifetime. We now know how Brexit is working, how the Protocol is working, we've been through a pandemic, and the GFA is imperilled. It is time to take action having left to fix the teething issues, while imagined problems that haven't transpired like people dying as medicine can't cross the border etc doesn't need to be dealt with.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Don't agree. This is what she has to do in order to keep in position. be as positive and rational as possible while waiting for the UK government/courts to say No.

The folly of repeating the Ireland border problem alone trumps any merit independence might have.

I suppose the UK backstop position might be to say "We have learned from experience. Let's agree the deal and then have a referendum". I wouldn't bet on that process being complete before Israel and Palestine do the same.

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

I see 'if you don't like here we'll send you to Rwanda' is the new cry of the racist hard of thinkers.

Does this apply to those who repeatedly moan about what the country has become and want it turned back to the 1950s too?
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

One point which works strongly in the favour of those arguing independence is the rapid change in terms of trade for renewable energy.

Scotland already generates the equivalent of its entire domestic electricity consumption (though not, obviously all at the right time), and could easily double that in a few years time.

So even as oil runs out, the balance of payments for an independent Scotland might continue to look quite good.
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Choosing to move at the time of maximum opportunity was always far more likely. On the day of the NI Bill.
    She's a canny politician.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Possibly 5 bots there?
    edited June 2022
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

As (imo) is the notion the Scots will keep demanding Indy Referendums every other week until there's a Yes. The truth is the next one (assuming she gets it in the next couple of years or so) is crunch time. If it's another No that's it for a long long time*. She will know this.

PLEASE nobody do the facetious "what, like a generation?" on me here. I can't even crack a polite smile at that anymore.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think doing whatever was required to get Brexit done, then revisiting the NI situation once we have a trade agreement and are post-Brexit is phenomenally bad politics, I think it is very smart politics
    And there is the nub. There are those who think negotiating a policy and then moments later reneging on it is bad politics conducted by bad politicians; and then there are those who think it is strategic genius.

I think @kinabalu's explanation of how we got here is pretty obviously on the money.
    Kinabalu is mostly right at first but goes into a blind alley at the end and is wrong at the end.

The problem is that too many people seek to let the unachievable perfect be the enemy of the good enough for now. I don't think the Withdrawal Agreement was a bad deal, I don't think it was a perfect deal, I think it was a good enough deal for then - but then is not now.

I never doubted there'd be problems post-Brexit, Brexit is a major reformation so of course there would be teething issues but lets not forget were we where three years ago. We were in a hysterical position where we were stuck in Article 50 limbo, unable to act, unable to get anything done, with people freaking out about all sorts of problems that were fictional. We had people on this site claiming that there'd be no strawberries on shelves at supermarkets, that there'd be no planes able to fly, that their partners could die as their medicine couldn't come across the border etc

I said then we needed to get out, find the teething problems, then fix them. The withdrawal agreement was good enough to do that, but now we're out, we need to fix any teething issues. If we'd remained trapped in Article 50 purgatory seeking to fix every hypothetical problem before we left, we'd never have left, which is of course what some wanted.

Only three years have passed since the Protocol wage agreed, but those three years might as well be a lifetime. We now know how Brexit is working, how the Protocol is working, we've been through a pandemic, and the GFA is imperilled. It is time to take action having left to fix the teething issues, while imagined problems that haven't transpired like people dying as medicine can't cross the border etc doesn't need to be dealt with.
    Ordinarily you would expect a government to be punished over such behaviour. They might still be but as likely not, given that the core Cons vote would struggle to place any of the six counties on a map.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Don't agree. This is what she has to do in order to keep in position. be as positive and rational as possible while waiting for the UK government/courts to say No.

The folly of repeating the Ireland border problem alone trumps any merit independence might have.

I suppose the UK backstop position might be to say "We have learned from experience. Let's agree the deal and then have a referendum". I wouldn't bet on that process being complete before Israel and Palestine do the same.

Sturgeon's policy if the UK government says No is to hold the Referendum.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not up on my Russian history but in general how do you think the history of the world and of countries has evolved over the past 2,000+ years.
    It's not really the place of the Pope to be arguing that 2000 years of "might is right" is the way international affairs ought to be conducted, though, is it ?

• TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ordinarily you would expect a government to be punished over such behaviour. They might still be but as likely not, given that the core Cons vote would struggle to place any of the six counties on a map.
    Why would you expect a government to be punished over such behaviour?

As I said all along, we needed to JFDI and get on with it, and then if problems arose, fix them then.

We now have the wisdom of learnt experiences of what is working, and what is not working. Why is using that experience now that we didn't have three years ago to design a better system "bad faith"?

Possibly 5 bots there?
    Well, the 'possibly' is the nub of the bot thing.
    In any case, successful bot-ism rides on the coat tails of genuinely expressed views.
  • Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

It's not really the place of the Pope to be arguing that 2000 years of "might is right" is the way international affairs ought to be conducted, though, is it ?

Its pretty consistent with the history of the Roman Catholic Church though.

And in better Pope news, dropped on the first ball after lunch.
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

As (imo) is the notion the Scots will keep demanding Indy Referendums every other week until there's a Yes. The truth is the next one (assuming she gets it in the next couple of years or so) is crunch time. If it's another No that's it for a long long time*. She will know this.

PLEASE nobody do the facetious "what, like a generation?" on me here. I can't even crack a polite smile at that anymore.
    "Once in a generation" was repeatedly being spun (lied) as "once in a lifetime" by the Tory on WATO.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,162

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So, how do you fix teething issues? If these are just teething issues, not fundamental flaws in the treaty, as your thesis requires, then they should be solvable by friendly and cooperative negotiation with relatively minor tweaks. So how come we’re in a situation where the government who signed the treaty is now intent on breaking it (while claiming it isn’t breaking it)?

The unavoidable conclusion is that either the Government who signed the treaty or the Government now has f***ed up. Except it’s the same Government.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

LOL no but Russia certainly has had a bee in its bonnet about NATO for 30-odd years. I haven't tracked every missile air defence umbrella deployment or all arms exercise but I believe there have been concerns expressed before Feb 24th.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you, Captain Toppers. I now brace for an insult to restore balance.

Typing this, btw, on my new HP Envy 14. Amazing how laptop tech has advanced over the last 12 years. It's light as a feather!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

He said something equally stupid in relation to the Charlie Hebdo killings, comparing satirising a religion with punching one's mother.

He was rightly criticised for that. He should be rightly criticised for this statement. If you look at the full quote he is told by the anonymous politician that Russia is an imperial power. Yes - and that is the problem, which the Pope is too stupid to understand.
    Anybody who commits their entire life to supporting something that is a bin fire of logical and practical incoherence is guaranteed to be a bit daft. Christianity, Communism, Brexit. The fervent are always short of a few brain cells. Always.
    Hmm ..... @Foxy and I are two of the few practising Christians on this forum (though I claim no great religiosity or faithfulness - but it has certainly played a part in making me who I am). I will leave it to others to decide whether we are a bit daft and short of a few brain cells.

For myself I think that making wide assertions like the one you've just made is not very sensible. It is the inability to think or use any sort of judgment and the unwillingness to challenge even your own beliefs, to be self-critical which to me are the characteristics of a daft person.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,232
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

It was once in a generation

Amazingly, @kinabalu off of PB does not get to decide when it “feels about right” for Scotland to vote again

It is a generation for a reason. A new generation has grown up, replacing the old voters, it is justifiable therefore to ask them again
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,543
    I know we're unlikely to get any joined up thinking from this deeply unserious government, but what actually is their claim for Rwanda?

Is that Rwanda is so horrible, would-be users of people smugglers - almost 'entirely genuine asylum seekers escaping persecution - will choose torture or death instead?

Or is that Rwanda is kind, like Britain but with more sunshine? The asylum seekers will be well looked after - the people smugglers are doing a useful job?
    edited June 2022

Possibly 5 bots there?
    Well, the 'possibly' is the nub of the bot thing.
    In any case, successful bot-ism rides on the coat tails of genuinely expressed views.
    Yes, there's bound to be a few idiots. This is Twitter after all, and it isn't hard to find one.

The problem comes in believing that there is a whole army of them when it is just some bots with the amplifier turned up to 11.

As Elon seems to have (conveniently?) discovered.
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

"Once in a generation" was repeatedly being spun (lied) as "once in a lifetime" by the Tory on WATO.
    There’s plenty of evidence that the SNP used the two terms interchangeably, last time around.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nuQP4XeMngc
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So, how do you fix teething issues? If these are just teething issues, not fundamental flaws in the treaty, as your thesis requires, then they should be solvable by friendly and cooperative negotiation with relatively minor tweaks. So how come we’re in a situation where the government who signed the treaty is now intent on breaking it (while claiming it isn’t breaking it)?

The unavoidable conclusion is that either the Government who signed the treaty or the Government now has f***ed up. Except it’s the same Government.
    You fix the teething issues by reaching a new agreement to replace the original one, a Protocol 1.1 or 2.0 if you wish, to replace the original one with the learnings we now have.

Its not the same Government, its the same people, but the Government of three years ago was a Government dealing with Article 50 trying to get the UK out of the EU which hysteria all around about all sorts of fictional problems.

The government we have now is a post-Brexit, post-TCA, post-pandemic Government that now knows what the real problems are and what is and isn't working, so the agreements can evolve as required.

Evolution never stops.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    Alistair said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

An ultra vires referendum will be just the job to keep the pot boiling. IMHO an injunction is likely to forbid this if it purports to be done on a statutory basis.

Several court cases are possible. All will be great constitutional fun. But it doesn't (I think) get independence any closer.

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Amazingly, @kinabalu off of PB does not get to decide when it “feels about right” for Scotland to vote again

It is a generation for a reason. A new generation has grown up, replacing the old voters, it is justifiable therefore to ask them again
    Sneers that someone off of PB does not get to decide when it “feels about right” for Scotland to vote again.

Complacently states what justifies a second referendum.

Seamless.
    FF43 said:

I know we're unlikely to get any joined up thinking from this deeply unserious government, but what actually is their claim for Rwanda?

Is that Rwanda is so horrible, would-be users of people smugglers - almost 'entirely genuine asylum seekers escaping persecution - will choose torture or death instead?

Or is that Rwanda is kind, like Britain but with more sunshine? The asylum seekers will be well looked after - the people smugglers are doing a useful job?

Clearly the reason why the numbers arriving by boat are much higher this year than before the policy is because those seeking asylum in France are so keen to get to the wonderful paradise of Rwanda and they know the UK will send them there!

FF43 said:

It’s because it is safe, but fairly grim

If you’re an asylum seeker (which most of them are not, they are economic migrants) then you would be happy with safety alone. If they are not happy, then it was something else that attracted them all the way to the UK, it wasn’t “asylum” per se

Do it, Priti, do it
    algarkirk said:

Alistair said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

An ultra vires referendum will be just the job to keep the pot boiling. IMHO an injunction is likely to forbid this if it purports to be done on a statutory basis.

Several court cases are possible. All will be great constitutional fun. But it doesn't (I think) get independence any closer.
    I still think this is what’s behind the anti-SNP coalition on Edinburgh City Council, that attracted so much ire from everyone when it was formed. The council will simply not participate in a wildcat referendum.
  • Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

You're right kinabalu doesn't get to decide when it feels about right for Scotland to vote again.

In a democracy, that is for the voters of Scotland to determine at election time. They've done that.
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you, Captain Toppers. I now brace for an insult to restore balance.

Typing this, btw, on my new HP Envy 14. Amazing how laptop tech has advanced over the last 12 years. It's light as a feather!
    I had an MS Surface which I liked, but kept plugged in all the time so after a couple of years it just stopped working totally fucked had to throw it in the bin. Save your work externally to the machine is the big lesson.

And balancing insult? Don't be ridiculous. You twat.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Nonsense. If it's another no she'll start agitating for a third referendum the very next day.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You fix the teething issues by reaching a new agreement to replace the original one, a Protocol 1.1 or 2.0 if you wish, to replace the original one with the learnings we now have.

Its not the same Government, its the same people, but the Government of three years ago was a Government dealing with Article 50 trying to get the UK out of the EU which hysteria all around about all sorts of fictional problems.

The government we have now is a post-Brexit, post-TCA, post-pandemic Government that now knows what the real problems are and what is and isn't working, so the agreements can evolve as required.

Evolution never stops.
    What is the best way of reaching a new agreement? Is it calm negotiation with the other party, respecting the existing agreement until a new one is sorted, or is it breaking the current agreement while pretending that you’re not breaking the current agreement?

(Also, if there was hysteria and fictional problems back then, why did that force the Govt into a premature subpar agreement? Is the Govt so weak that some misinformed commentators in the press can stop their actions?)

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

You're right kinabalu doesn't get to decide when it feels about right for Scotland to vote again.

In a democracy, that is for the voters of Scotland to determine at election time. They've done that.
    So if Scotland votes for the SNP then an SNP government can call a referendum whenever it likes? Once every five years? Once every two years? Every couple of months?

No, it is the British Parliament at Westminster which decides, as that is the sovereign parliament of England, Scotland Wales and NI. If the SNP can persuade enough MPs in the British House of Commons, so be it
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

If you’re an asylum seeker (which most of them are not, they are economic migrants) then you would be happy with safety alone. If they are not happy, then it was something else that attracted them all the way to the UK, it wasn’t “asylum” per se

Do it, Priti, do it
    One of the people scheduled to be deported is a 19-year old Iranian who has 2 brothers, 4 uncles and their families, all of them British citizens, living here. That is why he is here.

Now, tell me why it is a good thing to deport him to Rwanda.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Back onto cosplay Thatcher's "Fuck the Bill" Bill, I don't know why BR is saying "this is what I proposed" when he has endlessly demanded they invoke Article 16. This goes straight past the A16 provision in the law and seeks to impose a settlement without negotiation. Which is the precise opposite of what A16 was intended to do.

The reality is simple - this government has demonstrated it is incapable of negotiation. So it doesn't want to invoke the A16 negotiation process as it knows it will only negotiate another settlement it doesn't understand. So fuck the bill, just impose a one-sided settlement and then claim to be an honest broker with all the people who now don't want to negotiate a coffee order with us.

Not that it will get through the House of Lords anyway. I can see the "Enemies of the State" headlines now.

It also has serious questions for the UK's integrity. In a few weeks, assuming the current mess isn't resolved, and I don't think it will be with the horror film clowns in charge as at present, I'd like to see polling on the wish for a border poll, and how the Alliance's policy in particular changes on the need for a border poll.
    As long as the UK government does not impose a hard border in Ireland when it is removing the border in the Irish Sea, there will be no change in the Alliance's opposition to a border poll
    Oh yes, no border at all. Good luck with that. Why do you think Mr Johnson put the one in the Irish Sea, and was so proud of it?

More generally, the Alliance aren'tr opposed to a border poll - they just don't support it. Not the same thing. And if HMG continues to rule NI from the sole point of view of keeping the DUP happy, there will be other reasons for Alliance to change their mind. For instance, wrecking the NI economy.
    I attended an event at Westminster a couple of weeks ago where Steven Farry - alliance MP for North Down said they will not decide which way to jump on a border poll until it is announced- but they are happy to take part in discussions around planning one to avoid a Brexit type vote where people are promised anything and everything. They are ore open to a UI than many think.
    There cannot be a UI without a border poll which requires the NI Secretary to back one and most probably Stormont to vote for one too. So without the Alliance voting for one there is no majority in the NI Assembly for one. A border poll ironically destroys the Alliance as it is the only main NI party which has almost equal support from Unionists and Nationalists.

If the Alliance took sides in a border poll it would become just another Nationalist or Unionist party
    Their leader at Westminster says they will take a side but will not announce which until a poll is called.

The border poll requirement is set out in the GFA - deliberately vague but no Stormont vote required.
    The moment the Alliance take a side in a border poll they are destroyed as a political party. No longer neutral they would either be a Nationalist party like SF and the SDLP so their Unionist voters would go to the UUP most likely or a Unionist party like the DUP or UUP so their Nationalist voters would go to the SDLP most likely.

There may therefore never be a border poll as it requires the NI Secretary to agree to one under the GFA and the NI Secretary won't and doesn't have to unless there is a clear majority at Stormont for one which there won't be as it is in the Alliance's interests to stay neutral and never have one

I believe in theory you are correct, but politically you are assuming too much.

You make the assumption that sectarianism trumps all else in the province. I do not believe that to be the case. To quote Bill Clinton "It's the economy stupid".

If the North Channel border was allowing NI businesses to thrive in the EU, and the removal of the protocol stops that dead in its tracks, and it might, it will be noted, and minds will change.
    How will the removal of the North Channel border stop that?

The introduction of an Irish land border might stop it, but the removal of the Channel border is a different question, not the same one. You make it sound as if the Channel border is a positive to be desired in its own right, as opposed to the lack of an Irish land border being a positive to be desired.

The proposed legislation explicitly states no new regulations or checks can be done on the Irish land border. That means that the Good Friday Agreement is protected.
    Because the EU are perfectly entitled to consider an invisible border at Dundalk under the Brexit deal, even it to protect sensibilities they do not put up armed security posts and barriers.

It isn't just a case of turning trucks away at Dundalk. Hauliers will not move goods if there is a possibility they will be returned to sender should paperwork be out of place at the point of destination.

And this isn't the EU being unreasonable it is their entitlement under Johnson and Frost's "oven ready" dog's dinner.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The other side is the EU, which still seems intent on treating us like a renegade province.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Evolution never stops.
    What is the best way of reaching a new agreement? Is it calm negotiation with the other party, respecting the existing agreement until a new one is sorted, or is it breaking the current agreement while pretending that you’re not breaking the current agreement?

(Also, if there was hysteria and fictional problems back then, why did that force the Govt into a premature subpar agreement? Is the Govt so weak that some misinformed commentators in the press can stop their actions?)

The best way is to try calm negotiations first (done) and if calm negotiations fail (they have) then break the agreement to fix the problems.

The agreement wasn't subpar, it was good enough for then. As I said, don't let the idealised perfect be the enemy of the good enough for now.

You wouldn't expect all software released in 2019 to still be running on the exact same code, never to be patched, so why would you expect that of international agreements? Just like a major new piece of software, Brexit was released, it was inevitably going to have some bugs but that is OK, we just need to use Parliament to patch them as they are identified.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good enough for now.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    RH1992 said:

Foxy said:

RH1992 said:

Sandpit said:

Glasto is The Guardian having a party.

So, it's no wonder it's very middle/upper-middle class, white and champagne socialist.

I always think of it as primarily the BBC having a party.

Don’t they send something like 500 staff to cover it?
    The BBC and The Guardian are almost 1:1.
    A lot of young people go to Glasto. I keep being told that young people never watch the BBC, and they certainly don't read The Guardian. So I'm not sure the stereotype quite works.
    The Guardian is the only newspaper available at Glastonbury, they have little stands that sell it throughout the weekend but the only way they seem to be able to flog them is free tote bags with every paper. As soon as the tote bags run out the sales dry up.
    By Sunday at festivals most people have flat phones, so the Guardian used to be given out on the Sunday at Latitude. Browsing the paper in the sun and a beer on a Sunday afternoon listening to Seasick Steve, that is an even more Guardian type audience.

I love festivals and try to make one every year, despite the climate. There is something very sweetly British about the eccentricity of music festivals, with the British middle classes at play. Download is definitely a bit less fashionable, as is Leeds/Reading in terms of audience.

I think a lot are financially squeezed this year, with ticket sales down and costs up, and a lot of tickets carried forward from previous years. Enjoy them while they last.
    Yes, I think that's a fair point. I suppose the most Guardian type moment for myself in 2019 was being sat on the grass on the Sunday. 27C heat with a 7.5% Brothers cider listening to Jeff Goldblum's band and his terrible anecdotes about UK cities, although no print Guardian as I take 3x 20,000 mAh battery packs with me. I don't think the weather will be as good this year but I live in hope.
    Not Corbyn on stage and Jon Snow - 'F%ck the Tories' then?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    Farooq said:

One can only hope she means it this time and it is not just more carrots as she prays for her next excuse.
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it
    One of the people scheduled to be deported is a 19-year old Iranian who has 2 brothers, 4 uncles and their families, all of them British citizens, living here. That is why he is here.

To discourage others

Every case will have a bleeding heart story attached. There is no happy or easy solution to this. But the best solution - for everyone - is the Australian solution. We cannot just let them all in, that’s giving up all control of our borders and will encourage yet more to come, 100,000s a year

Oz shows that you have to be tough for a few months, then they stop. I profoundly doubt the UKG has the bollocks to do an Oz. so we will yield, and the problem will get worse, and the next time around the dilemma will be even more acute
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The other side is the EU, which still seems intent on treating us like a renegade province.
    We aren't a province. We are a third country so have to apply by the rules of a third country outside the EU. It's not difficult to understand surely? Isn't about time you took those chips off your shoulder?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Back onto cosplay Thatcher's "Fuck the Bill" Bill, I don't know why BR is saying "this is what I proposed" when he has endlessly demanded they invoke Article 16. This goes straight past the A16 provision in the law and seeks to impose a settlement without negotiation. Which is the precise opposite of what A16 was intended to do.

The reality is simple - this government has demonstrated it is incapable of negotiation. So it doesn't want to invoke the A16 negotiation process as it knows it will only negotiate another settlement it doesn't understand. So fuck the bill, just impose a one-sided settlement and then claim to be an honest broker with all the people who now don't want to negotiate a coffee order with us.

Not that it will get through the House of Lords anyway. I can see the "Enemies of the State" headlines now.

It also has serious questions for the UK's integrity. In a few weeks, assuming the current mess isn't resolved, and I don't think it will be with the horror film clowns in charge as at present, I'd like to see polling on the wish for a border poll, and how the Alliance's policy in particular changes on the need for a border poll.
    As long as the UK government does not impose a hard border in Ireland when it is removing the border in the Irish Sea, there will be no change in the Alliance's opposition to a border poll
    Oh yes, no border at all. Good luck with that. Why do you think Mr Johnson put the one in the Irish Sea, and was so proud of it?

More generally, the Alliance aren'tr opposed to a border poll - they just don't support it. Not the same thing. And if HMG continues to rule NI from the sole point of view of keeping the DUP happy, there will be other reasons for Alliance to change their mind. For instance, wrecking the NI economy.
    I attended an event at Westminster a couple of weeks ago where Steven Farry - alliance MP for North Down said they will not decide which way to jump on a border poll until it is announced- but they are happy to take part in discussions around planning one to avoid a Brexit type vote where people are promised anything and everything. They are ore open to a UI than many think.
    There cannot be a UI without a border poll which requires the NI Secretary to back one and most probably Stormont to vote for one too. So without the Alliance voting for one there is no majority in the NI Assembly for one. A border poll ironically destroys the Alliance as it is the only main NI party which has almost equal support from Unionists and Nationalists.

If the Alliance took sides in a border poll it would become just another Nationalist or Unionist party
    Their leader at Westminster says they will take a side but will not announce which until a poll is called.

The border poll requirement is set out in the GFA - deliberately vague but no Stormont vote required.
    The moment the Alliance take a side in a border poll they are destroyed as a political party. No longer neutral they would either be a Nationalist party like SF and the SDLP so their Unionist voters would go to the UUP most likely or a Unionist party like the DUP or UUP so their Nationalist voters would go to the SDLP most likely.

There may therefore never be a border poll as it requires the NI Secretary to agree to one under the GFA and the NI Secretary won't and doesn't have to unless there is a clear majority at Stormont for one which there won't be as it is in the Alliance's interests to stay neutral and never have one

You make the assumption that sectarianism trumps all else in the province. I do not believe that to be the case. To quote Bill Clinton "It's the economy stupid".

If the North Channel border was allowing NI businesses to thrive in the EU, and the removal of the protocol stops that dead in its tracks, and it might, it will be noted, and minds will change.

The introduction of an Irish land border might stop it, but the removal of the Channel border is a different question, not the same one. You make it sound as if the Channel border is a positive to be desired in its own right, as opposed to the lack of an Irish land border being a positive to be desired.

The proposed legislation explicitly states no new regulations or checks can be done on the Irish land border. That means that the Good Friday Agreement is protected.
    Because the EU are perfectly entitled to consider an invisible border at Dundalk under the Brexit deal, even it to protect sensibilities they do not put up armed security posts and barriers.

It isn't just a case of turning trucks away at Dundalk. Hauliers will not move goods if there is a possibility they will be returned to sender should paperwork be out of place at the point of destination.

And this isn't the EU being unreasonable it is their entitlement under Johnson and Frost's "oven ready" dog's dinner.
    And under Liz Truss's proposed Bill there will be no new border checks at the NI/EU border so that invisible border is maintained.

Frost's deal was a version 1.0 to get Brexit done, its done now, we need to update it not keep going even though we now know what is working and what isn't.
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

He said something equally stupid in relation to the Charlie Hebdo killings, comparing satirising a religion with punching one's mother.

He was rightly criticised for that. He should be rightly criticised for this statement. If you look at the full quote he is told by the anonymous politician that Russia is an imperial power. Yes - and that is the problem, which the Pope is too stupid to understand.
    Anybody who commits their entire life to supporting something that is a bin fire of logical and practical incoherence is guaranteed to be a bit daft. Christianity, Communism, Brexit. The fervent are always short of a few brain cells. Always.
    I do see a big difference between Christianity and a political creed. Religious people have quite often had an intense personal experience which they genuinely interpret as involving God. Not to drag the Monkees into things - which would be crass - but it's a case of they see his face and henceforth are a believer. This is the only route to faith I can understand because you can't (imo) intuit or deduce that there's a higher power.
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

The CTA could remain, but the EU would insist on a hard customs border between England and Scotland if they wanted to join the EU Customs Union.

It wasn’t an issue last time, when the SNP assumption was that both England and Scotland were in the EU CU, and there wouldn’t need to be a border.
    I do hope us Cumberland residents are going to have lots of smuggling opportunities. My Irish forebears indulged in quite a few illicit activities a century or so ago and it would be good to revive this family tradition, particularly if there is money to be made.

Law-breaking is all the rage in Tory England these days so important to get with the times, I feel.
    I've got a Reiver surname too. It's in the blood.
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm ..... @Foxy and I are two of the few practising Christians on this forum (though I claim no great religiosity or faithfulness - but it has certainly played a part in making me who I am). I will leave it to others to decide whether we are a bit daft and short of a few brain cells.

For myself I think that making wide assertions like the one you've just made is not very sensible. It is the inability to think or use any sort of judgment and the unwillingness to challenge even your own beliefs, to be self-critical which to me are the characteristics of a daft person.
    The "commits their entire life" part of my post was important. As was the "fervent".
    I'm talking about people who represent the purest distillation of an ideology, not the casual, the dabblers, or even the sincere enthusiasts when they are able to see the world through other lenses.
    In short, the people who have a one-track mind.

The point was about living your whole life on top of a single pillar, not about have that pillar in your life.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

So if Scotland votes for the SNP then an SNP government can call a referendum whenever it likes? Once every five years? Once every two years? Every couple of months?

No, it is the British Parliament at Westminster which decides, as that is the sovereign parliament of England, Scotland Wales and NI. If the SNP can persuade enough MPs in the British House of Commons, so be it
    Yes, if Scotland votes for them, then yes.

If the Scottish voters are unhappy with the situation, they can vote for someone else instead.
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

Mail, Express.
  • Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Nonsense. If it's another no she'll start agitating for a third referendum the very next day.
    If she does, and the Scottish voters are pissed off about that, then they can vote accordingly. As happened in Quebec.

Democracy finds a way.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

And under Liz Truss's proposed Bill there will be no new border checks at the NI/EU border so that invisible border is maintained.

Frost's deal was a version 1.0 to get Brexit done, its done now, we need to update it not keep going even though we now know what is working and what isn't.
    Really?, really?..... wasn't there also an element of a version to put in front of the HoC and the people to con them into voting them in?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Really?, really?..... wasn't there also an element of a version to put in front of the HoC and the people to con them into voting them in?
    People weren't conned, they got what they voted for. Brexit is done, now we're evolving our post-Brexit future based on the learnings of what has happened since Brexit happened.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

It is extraordinary to think after the years and money Cameron spent trying to lose the epithet 'The Nasty Party' that without any thought at all they seem happy to take all that baggage back. The ramifications of this pointless exercise for the Tory Party are enormous
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Tbf fair some of the redder-faced Parker Knoll strategists seem entirely convinced that eg Germany, France, Ireland etc are very much not on the side of the righteous.
    Parker-Knoll?

What does this have to do with high quality mid-century sofas?
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Would not matter a jot now either.
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it
    Chances (last year) of an asylum seeker dying while seeking to cross the channel: 0.16%
    Chances (this YTD - assuming all seven are sent) of an asylum seeker being deported to Rwanda: 0.07%

I don't think these are numbers that have or will be a huge disincentive to people trying to get here via the channel.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179
    dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

Mail, Express.
    "Good"... ?
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

No. The choice would be to backburner it or shed a ton of votes and lose power. They'd choose the first.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited June 2022

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Its pretty consistent with the history of the Roman Catholic Church though.

And in better Pope news, dropped on the first ball after lunch.
    Divine punishement for his words on Ukraine ?

End of Pope
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

No. The choice would be to backburner it or shed a ton of votes and lose power. They'd choose the first.
    History suggests otherwise.
    At some point England need to decide if they’re chasing the runs, or batting out the draw.

Preferably before too many more wickets go down.
    edited June 2022

Possibly 5 bots there?
    Almost certainly bots. Why do people like @Theuniondivvie fall for this shit? Because they want to believe it is true

I just checked one - @Britpatrio - the name alone is suspiciously ridiculous. Patrio??

Joined “April 2022”, 92 followers. All his tweets are race baiting BNP stuff, with the odd weird one about Elon Musk. It’s clearly a bot, running in Irkutsk, designed to foment western discord, as is actually written in the Russian playbook

if Elon ever does buy Twitter, he would do us all an enormous service simply by clearing out all this crap
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

If she does, and the Scottish voters are pissed off about that, then they can vote accordingly. As happened in Quebec.

Democracy finds a way.

You have a selective view of democracy. You do not believe that the people of Northern Ireland should be allowed to enjoy it, for example.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Pope (Ollie, not the chap in Rome) out.

55-2
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

hyfud's twin is alive and well.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    On topic. What a beautiful flag.

I’m now on PB Dave for 3rd too. 🙂

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

People weren't conned, they got what they voted for. Brexit is done, now we're evolving our post-Brexit future based on the learnings of what has happened since Brexit happened.
    The first sentence is dubious in the extreme. If you remove the "n't" it's true meaning becomes obvious.
    I can see a classic England collapse here, 200 all out. Left thinking about what if we batted better at the end of first innings and didn't give away 50 extra run for 9th wicket in NZ second innings.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Game over.
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it
    Most are asylum seekers whose claims - once processed - are granted.
    Root out.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

It wasn't sold by Frost and Johnson as an "oven ready" committment only to avoid HMG's blushes to get "Brexit done", and once Brexit was done the deal expires, and the ECJ can go to hell.

In yours and Liz Truss's magical childlike world where Irish Prime Minister's are called "Tea Socks" your narrative might work. In the cut and thrust of International relationships we are heading towards a trade war.
  • Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Oh really?

Where in history does it show the public repeatedly electing governments that want to ask the same question repeatedly?

History shows the public hates being asked the same question over and over again and will punish politicians that do that to them without good reason.

Root gone. 😐
    All over.
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Since you're so keen on history, how many Scottish indy referendums have there been in the last 315 years?
    Back down to the usual situation of praying Stokes can play an incredible innings.
    Leaves work to go home, wonders how many more wickets will fall in the next half hour…
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

To discourage others

Every case will have a bleeding heart story attached. There is no happy or easy solution to this. But the best solution - for everyone - is the Australian solution. We cannot just let them all in, that’s giving up all control of our borders and will encourage yet more to come, 100,000s a year

Oz shows that you have to be tough for a few months, then they stop. I profoundly doubt the UKG has the bollocks to do an Oz. so we will yield, and the problem will get worse, and the next time around the dilemma will be even more acute
    You do not discourage anyone by deporting one individual. Even the government has admitted that only a few hundred at most will be deported.

This is just performative cruelty to an individual who has close family here.

And before you ask what would I do, I put my ideas down a few months back. They were rather more intelligent than this sort of ineffective nonsense.

Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

Mail, Express.
    "Good"... ?
    For the survival of Big Dog, not just good but essential. The sine qua non.
    Let's not kid ourselves that this, or anything else, is motivated differently.
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it
    Chances (last year) of an asylum seeker dying while seeking to cross the channel: 0.16%
    Chances (this YTD - assuming all seven are sent) of an asylum seeker being deported to Rwanda: 0.07%

I don't think these are numbers that have or will be a huge disincentive to people trying to get here via the channel.
    Agreed. This only works if the government has the cullions to enforce it on everyone

I have my doubts, to put it mildly. But then again I am surprised they’ve shown the backbone to take it even this far
    edited June 2022
    dixiedean said:

Root out.

Bairstow for a two boundary cameo next...

Oh dear.

All over.

Now is the time for Bairstow to come good again.
  • Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Democracy finds a way.

You have a selective view of democracy. You do not believe that the people of Northern Ireland should be allowed to enjoy it, for example.

I totally believe that the people of Northern Ireland should be allowed to enjoy it. If people in NI elect a government pledge to holding a referendum on something, they too ought to be able to.

Regrettably as it stands, the people of Northern Ireland haven't been able to elect a government at all, under their perverted PR voting system. If they had FPTP it might be otherwise, but they don't, and it is what it is.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

I think repeating a vote within the same parliament would be a bit off, but I don't see any reason why any party shouldn't make a manifesto commitment to any particular thing even if it was identical. And if the voters go for it, they go for it. If they say no, we've had enough of that, then so be it.

At the risk of triggering Brexiters and separatists alike, I'd like to see a confirmatory vote at the end of the process too.
    edited June 2022

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Oh really?
    Yes. The SNP lost a referendum and immediately started agitating for a new one, and have been rewarded electorally. There's a big enough Anglophobic bloc in the Scottish electorate that a third referendum would appeal to.
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

Do it, Priti, do it

To discourage others

You do not discourage anyone by deporting one individual. Even the government has admitted that only a few hundred at most will be deported.

This is just performative cruelty to an individual who has close family here.

And before you ask what would I do, I put my ideas down a few months back. They were rather more intelligent than this sort of ineffective nonsense.

I think i remember your ideas, despite them being forgettable kittens-n-roses nonsense. But do tell us again
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

And neither do you.

There's at the very least a case, post Brexit (which Scotland didn't vote for, and was promised wouldn't happen if they voted 'No' to independence) for another vote.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Bloody hell Spurs sign another player early on in the window. This is a very odd feeling.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

It wasn't sold by Frost and Johnson as an "oven ready" committment only to avoid HMG's blushes to get "Brexit done", and once Brexit was done the deal expires, and the ECJ can go to hell.

In yours and Liz Truss's magical childlike world where Irish Prime Minister's are called "Tea Socks" your narrative might work. In the cut and thrust of International relationships we are heading towards a trade war.
    If we're in a trade war, then that's all it is, and all it ever was, a trade dispute.

The Good Friday Agreement will be preserved, the borders open, and the EU won't have a leg to stand on with regards to the Belfast Agreement anymore. Instead it will be a trade dispute and that should be resolved as trade disputes generally are, not sacrificing the Belfast Agreement or the people of Northern Ireland to fix the dispute.

Applicant said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Democracy finds a way.

I totally believe that the people of Northern Ireland should be allowed to enjoy it. If people in NI elect a government pledge to holding a referendum on something, they too ought to be able to.

Regrettably as it stands, the people of Northern Ireland haven't been able to elect a government at all, under their perverted PR voting system. If they had FPTP it might be otherwise, but they don't, and it is what it is.
    Nothing to do with the voting system. Largest parties from each confession are required to form an administration. One of them is sulking.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I think memories have faded to just what a fecking mess we were in in 2019. There was no consensus in parliament. Time was short because of artificial rules. The EU were being shits (that's allowed, how they behave is up to them and it was important to show that Brexit was a bad idea).

We had to resolve the issues. The government did that. Yes the deal is imperfect. Yes the EU is being an arse over inspections between rUK and NI, far more so than for any other entry point. You can say why did the government lie about how good its deal was all along - it did what it had to do.

We now need to move forward and make changes. So what - every deal gets updated. Things change.
This discussion has been closed.