Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s nearly a decade since LAB last made a by-election gain – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

Oh I see we're back to "Starmer is crap" again, one bad poll and you can predict the response on here.

If Starmer wishes to go I'm quite relaxed, Labour has good options unlike the Tories.

I am not sure it does. As someone who is currently a "floating voter/vote tart", I have to tell you I could quite happily see Starmer as PM. Everyone else Labour seems to want to suggest are great alternatives don't look that great to me. Wes Streeting, Lisa Nandy, Rachel Reeves all come across as very lightweight. As for Angela Rayner, God preserve us!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    kjh said:

Standing in the queue at Lisbon Airport passport control in a f***ing big hall. A snake with about 40 turns and each length of about 25 people. So ball park 1000 people. Wasn't like this during the pandemic. EU gates empty.

Thanks Boris.

I thought Portugal had already enabled e-gates for UK citizens arrivals?
    Applicant said:

So Starmer cannot even get the basics right.

His USP - his only USP - is that he is neither Johnson nor Corbyn.

Yet he cannot even get the basics correct. A big-brained lawyer who is under whether he broke the law in Durham. Who cannot even follow the rules on donations.

And getting £1,400 tickets to a football match does not make him appear one of the people, either.

If this had been Johnson, then Starmer would be calling on him to resign. Because that is his shtick. And given that's his shtick, he should be clever enough to ensure he follows the rules to the letter.

Is he just a hollow shell?

Boris has more than once been guilty of late declaration of income. If Starmer did call on him to resign, it did not work. For instance:-
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47854338
    Right. But every time SKS is caught doing something like something Boris has been criticised for - even if a lesser variant - it adds to the "they're all the same" narrative that SKS is desperate to avoid.
    We should all be desperate to avoid that narrative. There lies the route to greater apathy and an even worse form of populism than we currently have. Apologists for Boris Johnson, to their shame, would be quite happy with this appalling state of affairs. They are the equivalent of those who tacitly or overtly support Trump.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,468

kjh said:

kjh said:

Standing in the queue at Lisbon Airport passport control in a f***ing big hall. A snake with about 40 turns and each length of about 25 people. So ball park 1000 people. Wasn't like this during the pandemic. EU gates empty.

Thanks Boris.

Is Boris responsible for the staff at Lisbon Airport?

How long did the queue take?
    Still in it after an hour. Tried to send picture but failed. I thought I knew how to but obviously not.
    Ouch, hope it gets better for you soon. Enjoy your holiday (or work if that's why you're there).

If it makes you feel any better, you'll probably still get through security quicker there than at Manchester Airport.
    Cheers. Retired so holiday.

Actually I think we were unlucky and came in after some big flights from USA because the queue is now about 400 so more than halved since we have been in it. Bloody yanks.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016

Oh I see we're back to "Starmer is crap" again, one bad poll and you can predict the response on here.

If Starmer wishes to go I'm quite relaxed, Labour has good options unlike the Tories.

I'm not saying Starmer's cr@p, and my comment's nothing to do with polling. It's to do with the fact that Starmer's not only missing open goals, he's kicking balls into his own net.
    This. There is a Back to Basics air to him these days...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

I wonder what happens if Tether falls? Does the whole crypto market just break down? I'm not a domain expert, would be interested to hear from @rcs1000 and @edmundintokyo on it.

When Tether fails the whole crypto market implodes. The volume of BTC-Tether transacrions utterly dominates BTC-RealActualMoney transactions.

Crypto is priced in Tethers, not USD.
  • Oh I see we're back to "Starmer is crap" again, one bad poll and you can predict the response on here.

I am not sure it does. As someone who is currently a "floating voter/vote tart", I have to tell you I could quite happily see Starmer as PM. Everyone else Labour seems to want to suggest are great alternatives don't look that great to me. Wes Streeting, Lisa Nandy, Rachel Reeves all come across as very lightweight. As for Angela Rayner, God preserve us!
    I don't respect Starmer at all, but I think Streeting could be OK and I have a few quid on him.

Otherwise I don't think anyone on offer, on either side deserves to be PM so my next vote will probably be to try to get Ed Davey to be Deputy PM and play a Clegg-like role in the next government.

I just hope that doesn't lead to electoral reform.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,468
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Well you could always enjoy a British resort like Torquay or Southend or Skegness post Brexit. You don't have to holiday in the EU, the weather looks good here this week and no passport control queues either
    Twit.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719

West Streeting is the only alternative Labour leader in Parliament who might do better than Starmer. Also centrist but with far more charisma
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

Yet he cannot even get the basics correct. A big-brained lawyer who is under whether he broke the law in Durham. Who cannot even follow the rules on donations.

And getting £1,400 tickets to a football match does not make him appear one of the people, either.

If this had been Johnson, then Starmer would be calling on him to resign. Because that is his shtick. And given that's his shtick, he should be clever enough to ensure he follows the rules to the letter.

Boris has more than once been guilty of late declaration of income. If Starmer did call on him to resign, it did not work. For instance:-
    Right. But every time SKS is caught doing something like something Boris has been criticised for - even if a lesser variant - it adds to the "they're all the same" narrative that SKS is desperate to avoid.
    Obvious point is obvious.

Also, Labour's pool for talent is painfully shallow.

Third, if Starmer does go (and he should, for the sheer stupidity of the position he's put himself in), do you honestly think the next stage will be a peaceful transition of leadership?
    HYUFD said:

West Streeting is the only alternative Labour leader in Parliament who might do better than Starmer. Also centrist but with far more charisma
    Comes across as articulate, but still a lightweight.
    edited June 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Well you could always enjoy a British resort like Torquay or Southend or Skegness post Brexit. You don't have to holiday in the EU, the weather looks good here this week and no passport control queues either
    Twit.
    I am sure British tourist resorts would appreciate the support too. Perhaps book a summer break in Blackpool next year?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder what happens if Tether falls? Does the whole crypto market just break down? I'm not a domain expert, would be interested to hear from @rcs1000 and @edmundintokyo on it.

When Tether fails the whole crypto market implodes. The volume of BTC-Tether transacrions utterly dominates BTC-RealActualMoney transactions.

That doesn't sound like a risky proposition at all.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

It genuinely amazes me just how shallow in talent the Labour party is.

Applicant said:

Third, if Starmer does go (and he should, for the sheer stupidity of the position he's put himself in), do you honestly think the next stage will be a peaceful transition of leadership?
    The worry for Labour is that they are under around 5% of the scrutiny they would get if they were in Government and they do not seem to be able to cope with the scutiny they get now.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

That's irrelevant. We know Johnson's either a careless or uncaring fool when it comes to such things. Starmer is *supposed* to be better.

People will look at this and see there is little difference between the two. Which is a shame, as there is. But the optics of this are terrible.
    It comes to something when the loto is held to a higher bar than the pm.

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited June 2022
    MaxPB said:

Yep for all intents and purposes when Tether goes it's game off. https://peerchemist.medium.com/what-will-happen-to-crypto-when-usdt-collapses-6584fa2a7630 has a quick overview - it's a link I posted earlier today..

HYUFD said:

Labour cannot have a white male as leader next time.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Applicant said:

The worry for Labour is that they are under around 5% of the scrutiny they would get if they were in Government and they do not seem to be able to cope with the scutiny they get now.
    Yes, definitely.

HYUFD said:

It is mainly white males in the redwall they need to win back!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe, but the optics will be terrible.
  • So Starmer cannot even get the basics right.

That's irrelevant. We know Johnson's either a careless or uncaring fool when it comes to such things. Starmer is *supposed* to be better.

People will look at this and see there is little difference between the two. Which is a shame, as there is. But the optics of this are terrible.

Does it?

The PM is always scrutinised warts and all so everything always comes out about them.

The LOTO is normally held up as a 'white knight' that is able to portray themselves as 'whiter than white' to be better than the PM they're seeking to displace, unless or until they get into office themselves and then get scrutinised and the situation reverses.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928

HYUFD said:

Not as much a lightweight as JRM :lol:
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,851

I'm not saying Starmer's cr@p, and my comment's nothing to do with polling. It's to do with the fact that Starmer's not only missing open goals, he's kicking balls into his own net.
    It reminds me of Brown and his sole concern over expenses being his probity and everyone acknowledging his probity when he had a cash in hand cleaner deal with his brother and we were paying someone to iron his bloody shirts.
    There's something very satisfying about seeing these self declared holier than thou pricks brought low.
    That doesn't detract from Bozos unsuitability to lead, but it does suggest the inappropriateness is a contagion.
    The pomposity of declaring yourself the great Integrity when you cant even declare your interests correctly and follow simple rules snd standards on time.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? All the western centre left and liberal leaders who have beaten conservatives and rightwingers recently are white males, Scholz, Biden, Albanese, Macron, Trudeau etc.

Most ethnic minorities and young women vote Labour anyway already
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    dixiedean said:

FIFA World Cup Group B - Winner

England 4/11
    Wales 6/1
    USA 7/1
    Iran 20/1

USA is the value there I reckon.
    Yes, I concur. But hardly spectacular value.
    kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

I love my EU passport.

Does it?

The PM is always scrutinised warts and all so everything always comes out about them.

The LOTO is normally held up as a 'white knight' that is able to portray themselves as 'whiter than white' to be better than the PM they're seeking to displace, unless or until they get into office themselves and then get scrutinised and the situation reverses.
    as I said.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,159

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

OH, yes. Have you heard of this thing called 'Brexit' which treats UK subjects as third country types in the EU?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,351
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

How to spot a scam/Ponzi scheme in four steps:

1) Do you understand it
    2) Is there a clear business model
    3) Could you write in outline at this moment the articles that will be written one day explaining why it was bound to fail
    4) Is there an objective reason why it is valued as it is

If your instinct is: No, No, Yes, No, Yes; avoid.

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Twit.
    I am sure British tourist resorts would appreciate the support too. Perhaps book a summer break in Blackpool next year?
    I am sure you are trolling after a fashion, but although you didn't vote for the most pointless constitutional change in history, you do seem to be embracing it.

The idea that we should go back to the 1950s is indeed what many of the brainless voted for. I actually think a really good idea would be that those who will publicly say they don't support the stupidity of Brexit should get to use the EU channel, and those who are judged by the IRIS system to be swivelly eyed, or who still bang on about "sovereignty" or "Boris" should be made to take their holidays in Rwanda or Butlins, and have their passports and driving licences removed for the safety of themselves and others based on their general gullibility, racism or generally low IQ.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? All the western centre left and liberal leaders who have beaten conservatives and rightwingers recently are white males, Scholz, Biden, Albanese, Macron, Trudeau etc.

Labour have only ever had white male leaders, it will just look ridiculous if they have one again, especially if the tories have an ethnic minority person as leader by then.

HYUFD said:

Not as much a lightweight as JRM :lol:
    He isn't so much lightweight, just thick as a plank.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

OH, yes. Have you heard of this thing called 'Brexit' which treats UK subjects as third country types in the EU?
    It doesn't stop the EU reciprocating our offer to their citizens to use the short queue. That's just them being vindictive and proving we were right to leave the protection racket.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Be interesting to see how the Bitcoin rampers and preachers get on.

If this carries on a lot of people will be nursing large losses and won’t be happy.

https://twitter.com/claritytoast/status/1536315025278763008?s=21&t=RXYbz6dRTMg76IukXGwEsw

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour have only ever had white male leaders, it will just look ridiculous if they have one again, especially if the tories have an ethnic minority person as leader by then.
    It's only a problem to Labour because they've spent the last couple of decades playing identity politics.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

It doesn't stop the EU reciprocating our offer to their citizens to use the short queue. That's just them being vindictive and proving we were right to leave the protection racket.
    The issue is that the EU cares about the 90 days in 180 rules and we don't/
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    As an aside, crypto is the financial mainstay of the nascent metaverse (the metaverse, of course, sounding like a bloody awful idea to everyone except big business).
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Just when I was thinking that maybe not all Brexit voters were stupid, you go and make a comment that brings me back to my original conclusion.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and Labour have only won under white males too.

Not that I am opposed to an ethnic minority leader but as Tories the voters we also need to retain to keep our majority are white working class and lower middle class voters in the redwall primarily
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The word “women” is redundant.

Most people under 50 vote Labour.
    55% of 18-24 year olds
    53% of 25-49 year olds

Londoners and Remainers are two other demographics where a majority of voters vote Labour (54% and 51%).

(YG/Times; 24-25 May)

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

That doesn't sound like a risky proposition at all.
    In the last 24 hours 109 Billion Dollars worth of Ethereum and Bitcoin have been traded. By far the largest volumes of any non-stablecoin crypto currency. The next one down is XRP-Ripple at 2 billion).

107 Billion Tether have been traded in that time period (plus 23 billion usdc and busd).

There is very, very little real money in the system.
  • Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Because we are third party country types.

Every holiday I've been on for years years I've been subject to third country queues, if they exist and all of them have gone smoothly. Canada, Dominican Republic, Turkey, Egypt . . . none of them are in the EU, yet I still managed to get through queues reasonably swiftly.

Indeed for every holiday I've been on for years, I've queued far, far longer at Manchester Airport than I have at whichever third party country I've landed in. From what I've heard on the news, things haven't exactly got better at Manchester Airport though.

In an ideal world it would have been nice to have kept the EU queues, but its not an ideal world and its not necessary while still having smooth queues, you can have smooth queues if you want to even for third party nations and many countries which seek to attract tourists manage to do so.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

I love my EU passport.

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Just when I was thinking that maybe not all Brexit voters were stupid, you go and make a comment that brings me back to my original conclusion.
    Which bit of his point do you disagree with?
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not that I am opposed to an ethnic minority leader but as Tories the voters we also need to retain to keep our majority are white working class and lower middle class voters in the redwall primarily
    The two are not mutually exclusive. The Tories need the right leader irrespective of race or gender.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    NEW THREAD

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The word “women” is redundant.

Most people under 50 vote Labour.
    55% of 18-24 year olds
    53% of 25-49 year olds

Londoners and Remainers are two other demographics where a majority of voters vote Labour (54% and 51%).

(YG/Times; 24-25 May)

So winning young people and London, which is where the highest percentage of ethnic minorities and Remainers are, is no problem for Labour.

It is middle aged white working and lower middle class voters who voted Leave who are the key swing voters next time
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If I were your employer I would be VERY worried about your second paragraph
    eek said:

Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

The issue is that the EU cares about the 90 days in 180 rules and we don't/
    Which is surely recorded by the e-gates.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,630

It reminds me of Brown and his sole concern over expenses being his probity and everyone acknowledging his probity when he had a cash in hand cleaner deal with his brother and we were paying someone to iron his bloody shirts.
    There's something very satisfying about seeing these self declared holier than thou pricks brought low.
    That doesn't detract from Bozos unsuitability to lead, but it does suggest the inappropriateness is a contagion.
    The pomposity of declaring yourself the great Integrity when you cant even declare your interests correctly and follow simple rules snd standards on time.
    My favourite was a certain MP who'd been very holier-than-thou - but turned out to eat every meal in a (not cheap) restaurant and had tried to get the most expensive model of B&O TV* on expenses.

*Several MPs tried this - I wonder if there was a joke/game going on to try and see who could pull this off.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? It is simple electoral maths, most of the voters in redwall towns are white working and lower middle class and where they go will decide if Starmer or Johnson is PM after the next general election
    Applicant said:

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

It isn't a protection racket, it's a club of nations, who have rules. We didn't like being in the club, so we got out. The onus is not on them to make things easier for us. We took our ball home, so we can't play.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

HYUFD said:

I don't care. Like the US it was Trump versus not Trump and there are now enough voters who will make sure that Johnson loses. The choice of opposition leader wont make a difference. They've decided they don't want Johnson
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

Carnyx said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Because we are third party country types.

Every holiday I've been on for years years I've been subject to third country queues, if they exist and all of them have gone smoothly. Canada, Dominican Republic, Turkey, Egypt . . . none of them are in the EU, yet I still managed to get through queues reasonably swiftly.

Indeed for every holiday I've been on for years, I've queued far, far longer at Manchester Airport than I have at whichever third party country I've landed in. From what I've heard on the news, things haven't exactly got better at Manchester Airport though.

In an ideal world it would have been nice to have kept the EU queues, but its not an ideal world and its not necessary while still having smooth queues, you can have smooth queues if you want to even for third party nations and many countries which seek to attract tourists manage to do so.
    The longest queues Mrs C and I normally (pre-Brexit) came across were at Bangkok, but there's also a special short one for travellers over 70.
    Which we used as soon as we could. Indeed, we were sometimes taken across to it before we were 70 by kindly airport staff.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? It is simple electoral maths, most of the voters in redwall towns are white working and lower middle class and where they go will decide if Starmer or Johnson is PM after the next general election
    You don't know crap about red wall towns and thankfully here people don't think about each other in terms of race like you and American bigots do.
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You don't know crap about red wall towns and thankfully here people don't think about each other in terms of race like you and American bigots do.
    I do know most people in red wall towns are white working class and white lower middle class Leave voters. That is just a fact. Culturally they are a million miles from the Remain voting inner cities and economically also far from the Tory Home Counties
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948
    darkage said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Saw a tesla mini-cab today in Edinburgh. Surely the economics don't work out on that?

I would have thought the economics of that work out why better than diesel at the moment - higher upfront cost but way lower ongoing costs.
    Maybe someone who bought a Tesla, now reduced to driving a minicab to make ends meet? It could happen to the best of us.
    A non-trivial number of London minicab drivers have told me they were going for a Model 3 for their next car. This was before the fuel price rises recently.

Apparently if you buy an electric vehicle via your business you can (could) get some serious discounts/tax rebates.
    I get a lot of taxi's. Seen a lot of Toyota hybrids that have done 250k+ miles. I can't see it working out the same way for EV's like Tesla's, but what do I know.

Diesel must be completely finished looking at fuel prices.
    Diesel's still only 10p/l more than petrol and fuel prices have roughly doubled. I'm seriously considering buying a big old diesel barge from the golden era of economical diesels for my commute, as it will be cheaper to run than my small petrol car. Something like a 2010-2014 era Aventis or Passat does monster miles to the gallon and virtually won't deprecate in the current climate.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,684
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Twit.
    Can you recommend hotels,assuming you vacation there as recommending it.
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Thanks Boris.

Twit.
    Can you recommend hotels,assuming you vacation there as recommending it.
    I used to stay at an excellent b & b near the seafront when going to party conference
This discussion has been closed.