Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s looking like a wake for the Tories in Wakefield – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited June 2022

stodge said:

Actually +8 for Labour is pretty abysmal. This is pointing to a poor mid term by election for Labour if they take the seat on basis of stay at home till general election Tory votes, not getting much more than 8% from switchers themselves.

Tell me I’m wrong.

But without switchers, without much improvement in labours vote from last time, it’s not painting a convincing red wall picture for Labour, as indeed the locals were a mixed bag across the red wall.

The key number is Conservative down 18. As we saw in the locals and mirrored in Australia, the collapse of the centre-right isn't being matched by a consequent rise in the centre-left but by disillusioned voters seeking out other alternatives. The 13% swing will still look good for Labour if that's what happened.

I'm increasingly of the view the fragmentation of the Conservative vote will, even under FPTP, help any other party or independent who can establish themselves as the clear alternative.

The truth is, Labor in Australia suffered similar loss of votes to non establishment places, the 1pp Lab share was below every poll except the one we were thinking was a rough poll but turned out with lowest labour share and government win by 3% on 1pp most accurate. The same thing happening in France, in extreme way. So to that extent I am agreeing with you, lost votes for Tories hurt them, tactical voting hurts them - also as a by product, those calling for labour double digit or 20% polling leads as necessary are wrong in this new era of diverse polling.

However, where I think you are wrong is two fold. Firstly, this is a labour/Tory battleground seat, bellwether, not much presence from other parties to make a difference - in the Aussie comparison Wakefield would not be a teal win helpful for Labour, it would be a Lab target indicative of where we are today on their battlefield for seat total for themself!

Which supports me in what I am saying, do we measure what course labour are on this mid term by the number of Tory’s staying at home handing labour seat, or by the % the Lab share grows due to switching? I think the latter, gap between parties would disappoint me here if I was a leader here, if our own stock isn’t rising the gap is merely Boris unpopularity. Why. Because it would give me no assurance I’m on course.

Stay at home vote is a different thing than switched vote, it’s softer, change of Tory leader the softer stay at home vote could swing back. To get excited about gap back to a collapsed Tory share would be immature pesodolphinolgy here if the truth is a huge soft vote prone to swingback.
    To what extent it is disillusion with Boris or the Tories remains the big question.
    Not sure. But I doubt simply changing the leader without altering the attitude, tone or addressing the absence of any discernible direction or coherent plan is quite a magic bullet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, yes, all very well.

But in real news Paddington has tea with the Queen.

What an inspired and delightful start to the concert.

Whoever came up with that is going to be unbearably smug.
    Reputation bruined?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

Boris appears to be enjoying it

SKS looks bored

The director seems to trying quite hard to avoid any images of BoZo to spoil the party for everyone
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, yes, all very well.

Deservedly so. The "marmalade sandwich in handbag" but was fantastic - but accompanying "We Will Rock You" on the teacups was utterly inspired.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,513
    Scott_xP said:

SKS looks bored

The director seems to trying quite hard to avoid any images of BoZo to spoil the party for everyone
    I’m enjoying the images of Charles most. He seems to be having a moderately enjoyable evening.
  • Options
    Rod Stewart needs to retire. Sorry, but the voice just ain't there any more.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,496
    edited June 2022
    Quincel said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

For comparison. The Council results.for the constituency were.

Lab 52, Con 31, YP 6, Green 6, LD 4.

So. Not entirely sure where the surprise is?

No Yorkshire party in the opinion poll. They weren’t prompted for. So who do they take votes from? I bet it’s mostly the Tories.

Interesting that REFUK were only on 3% and down from the last poll. So no evidence of angry Tories lending their votes to another right wing option.
    Actually +8 for Labour is pretty abysmal. This is pointing to a poor mid term by election for Labour if they take the seat on basis of stay at home till general election Tory votes, not getting much more than 8% from switchers themselves.

Tell me I’m wrong.

But without switchers, without much improvement in labours vote from last time, it’s not painting a convincing red wall picture for Labour, as indeed the locals were a mixed bag across the red wall.
    I agree there isn't massive enthusiasm for Labour, but I think this poll fits in with a trend in local elections too that the Tories (particularly under Johnson) are becoming so disliked by so many groups that so long as Labour are seen as decent voters will tactically do what it takes to punish the Tories worse than the national polls may suggest.
    Post-Boris, whether soon or late, the question immediately turns to a different one. Replacing Boris now solved, what solutions do the new leadership have to the most intractable of the problems currently put on the back burner?

These are equally issues for Labour and Tory. Apart from unicorns which involve detaching spending, taxing and borrowing as if they can be separated; and unicorns about Europe, I haven't heard much.

For example, I occasionally hear bleats from 'low tax' supporting Tories but never see the plan as it relates to the rest of the equation. And Labour have the same problem.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, yes, all very well.

Deservedly so. The "marmalade sandwich in handbag" but was fantastic - but accompanying "We Will Rock You" on the teacups was utterly inspired.
    Somebody missed the awesomeness of that pun.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,513
    Applicant said:

Should have done a trio with Bryan Adams and Sting.
  • Options
    Rod has hired backing singers that look like every wife or girlfriend he's had. He's also hired a hedgehog to sit on his head
    https://twitter.com/le_petit_cochon/status/1533179693985308673
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    edited June 2022
    Well, at least they’re not miming
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,944
    Epping Forest's finest, Sir Rod Stewart, delivers again!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804
    TimS said:

Applicant said:

Should have done a trio with Bryan Adams and Sting.
    Would they be called the old BAStRodS?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Applicant said:

Why is Rod singing a Neil Diamond song? Bit of a slight against his own repertoire.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Epping Forest's finest, Sir Rod Stewart, delivers again!

You're too modest.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Scott_xP said:

Rod has hired backing singers that look like every wife or girlfriend he's had.
    https://twitter.com/le_petit_cochon/status/1533179693985308673

Didn't know you could build a stage that large.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Why is Rod singing a Neil Diamond song? Bit of a slight against his own repertoire.
    I guess that they couldn't get Neil to come over.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Not sure what's funnier - Wakefield going 20 points to Labour or HY saying that Wakefield Tory voters who elected them in 2019 weren't real Tories and that the party didn't need the seat or the 80 majority etc etc etc

Wakefield is the 38th Labour target seat, technically the Tories could lose Wakefield and still win a small majority.

Lose Tiverton and Honiton however at a general election and the Tories would face an even worse landslide defeat than 1997
    Wakefield is no metropolitan liberal elite northern seat - it's your new base.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

SKS looks bored

I’m enjoying the images of Charles most. He seems to be having a moderately enjoyable evening.
    ...whilst George is pulling a "WTF????" face.....
  • Options
    Andrea Bocelli's Nessun Dorma already the best act so far
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not sure what's funnier - Wakefield going 20 points to Labour or HY saying that Wakefield Tory voters who elected them in 2019 weren't real Tories and that the party didn't need the seat or the 80 majority etc etc etc

Wakefield is the 38th Labour target seat, technically the Tories could lose Wakefield and still win a small majority.

Lose Tiverton and Honiton however at a general election and the Tories would face an even worse landslide defeat than 1997
    It isn't, Bishop Auckland or Grimsby might be our new base, not Wakefield
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    What a backdrop. The Gods of the Sky have pulled out all the stops (given how shit it had been earlier in the day).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on what? Have you been to any of those three places?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470

How does Wakefield poll compare to pre 2019 results? Is it reversion or a genuine improvement?

It's similar to the result in 2001 and 1997.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Just back from Lord's.

What a fantastic day of test cricket. Magic.

Got a £20 ticket for Monday, just in case it rains all day tomorrow.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,503
    HYUFD said:

He smashed it didn’t he? Superb.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Maths.

Wakefield is only 38th on the Labour target list, the Tories could win a small majority and lose that.

Bishop Auckland is though 105th on the Labour target list, so Labour could win most seats and the Tories hold that.

Great Grimsby is 134th on the Labour target list, so Labour could even win a majority and the Conservatives still hold that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Maths.

Wakefield is only 38th on the Labour target list, the Tories could win a small majority and lose that.

Bishop Auckland is though 105th on the Labour target list, so Labour could win most seats and the Tories hold that.

Great Grimsby is 134th on the Labour target list, so Labour could even win a majority and the Conservatives still hold that
    The target list means absolutely nothing - its uniform swing and nowt more.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited June 2022

What a backdrop. The Gods of the Sky have pulled out all the stops (given how shit it had been earlier in the day).

The belt of heavy rain from France is just moving over Guildford. It will arrive in about 30 minutes I reckon.

Edit: Make that 60 minutes. The leading edge is frizzling.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How does Wakefield poll compare to pre 2019 results? Is it reversion or a genuine improvement?

Caveat to that.
    The boundaries pre-2010 make it incomparable really. Only three of the six wards remain.
    So it isn't really the same seat except by name.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So landslide territory then, thought so
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,080
    edited June 2022
    Duran Duran haven't stood the test of time, have they?
  • Options
    Girls on Film in front of Buckingham Palace. Only in the UK.
  • Options
    the motor wind intro to Girls on Film is a sound no millennial will recognise
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, yes, all very well.

Somebody missed the awesomeness of that pun.
    Ma'am will be most disappointed.

I wonder if anyone will do a Ukrainian voice-over...?
  • Options
    Duran Duran look pretty good for a band that first got together 44 years ago.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited June 2022
    How can anyone be bothered with politics while this is on

Simply magnificent show
  • Options

How anyone can be bothered with politics while this is on

Simply magnificent show

Some of us don't really care about the platty joobs show
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Isn’t the problem that music has generally been white for 20 years? So they have to drag out really old artists for things like this?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Tell me I’m wrong.

The key number is Conservative down 18. As we saw in the locals and mirrored in Australia, the collapse of the centre-right isn't being matched by a consequent rise in the centre-left but by disillusioned voters seeking out other alternatives. The 13% swing will still look good for Labour if that's what happened.

I'm increasingly of the view the fragmentation of the Conservative vote will, even under FPTP, help any other party or independent who can establish themselves as the clear alternative.

The truth is, Labor in Australia suffered similar loss of votes to non establishment places, the 1pp Lab share was below every poll except the one we were thinking was a rough poll but turned out with lowest labour share and government win by 3% on 1pp most accurate. The same thing happening in France, in extreme way. So to that extent I am agreeing with you, lost votes for Tories hurt them, tactical voting hurts them - also as a by product, those calling for labour double digit or 20% polling leads as necessary are wrong in this new era of diverse polling.

However, where I think you are wrong is two fold. Firstly, this is a labour/Tory battleground seat, bellwether, not much presence from other parties to make a difference - in the Aussie comparison Wakefield would not be a teal win helpful for Labour, it would be a Lab target indicative of where we are today on their battlefield for seat total for themself!

Which supports me in what I am saying, do we measure what course labour are on this mid term by the number of Tory’s staying at home handing labour seat, or by the % the Lab share grows due to switching? I think the latter, gap between parties would disappoint me here if I was a leader here, if our own stock isn’t rising the gap is merely Boris unpopularity. Why. Because it would give me no assurance I’m on course.

Stay at home vote is a different thing than switched vote, it’s softer, change of Tory leader the softer stay at home vote could swing back. To get excited about gap back to a collapsed Tory share would be immature pesodolphinolgy here if the truth is a huge soft vote prone to swingback.
    To what extent it is disillusion with Boris or the Tories remains the big question.
    Not sure. But I doubt simply changing the leader without altering the attitude, tone or addressing the absence of any discernible direction or coherent plan is quite a magic bullet.
    we could be surprised how much of a magic bullet removing the Boris shaped anchor now is in places like Tivi and the red wall and the opinion polls - that’s our PB job isn’t it, the pseudoasophagusology to look at the result from Wakefield and say “Nah. Far too much anti Boris hand sitting, not enough labour votes on - this wins soft as cream to Tory leader change.”

Alternatively, even with a smaller gap between parties, clear evidence of Con to Lab support lifting the Labour share would leave us more assured Labour could be making red wall recovery regardless of change of leader.

Colour me unconvinced Labour winning Wakefield means much at all, I’ll explain why, correct me where I am wrong.

Firstly, what was so special about Boris winning the red wall? I would answer zilch, absolutely nothing. Someone else could be associated with listening to these globalisation ravaged communities for the first time in decades, someone else could promise them levelling up, and achieve that same result as Boris, it wasn’t him but the message, the not taking you for granted but levelling you up with influx of investment flipped the votes from Labour - this is why these red wall communities voted for both Brexit and Boris - not for Boris, but for hope, for change.

If I am right, how do Labour fight back? The answers obvious, they need to match the promises of investment, they need to offer the same hope. They need to offer change they didn’t deliver in the past.

Have Labour been doing this? Nope.

Why should you win back the red wall from Tories by doing nothing?

Replacing the ridiculous Johnson, the Tory’s still have the red wall vote - it’s not personal to Johnson, if it’s based on levelling up investment and hope for better future, it’s personal to Brexit. If Labour continue with their do nothing approach this will take years to unwind itself.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Isn’t the problem that music has generally been white for 20 years? So they have to drag out really old artists for things like this?

This particular thing requires a spread of music from across the decades.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

HYUFD said:

Yep. I saw him do it live when Leicester lifted the PL trophy. Great voice.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Simply magnificent show

Now you know how some of us feel at the interminable discussions about cricket, football, rugby, FI.

This is once every 70 years whereas that appears about every 7 hours ....
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    Must be getting old like Rod Stewart, but I have got fed up with it and come to PB ouch. Up to now saved by some Opera. Royal Family must be bored stiff behind their smiles.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Andy_JS said:

Certainly much bigger than anything seen

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Tell me I’m wrong.

we could be surprised how much of a magic bullet removing the Boris shaped anchor now is in places like Tivi and the red wall and the opinion polls - that’s our PB job isn’t it, the pseudoasophagusology to look at the result from Wakefield and say “Nah. Far too much anti Boris hand sitting, not enough labour votes on - this wins soft as cream to Tory leader change.”

Alternatively, even with a smaller gap between parties, clear evidence of Con to Lab support lifting the Labour share would leave us more assured Labour could be making red wall recovery regardless of change of leader.

Colour me unconvinced Labour winning Wakefield means much at all, I’ll explain why, correct me where I am wrong.

Firstly, what was so special about Boris winning the red wall? I would answer zilch, absolutely nothing. Someone else could be associated with listening to these globalisation ravaged communities for the first time in decades, someone else could promise them levelling up, and achieve that same result as Boris, it wasn’t him but the message, the not taking you for granted but levelling you up with influx of investment flipped the votes from Labour - this is why these red wall communities voted for both Brexit and Boris - not for Boris, but for hope, for change.

If I am right, how do Labour fight back? The answers obvious, they need to match the promises of investment, they need to offer the same hope. They need to offer change they didn’t deliver in the past.

Replacing the ridiculous Johnson, the Tory’s still have the red wall vote - it’s not personal to Johnson, if it’s based on levelling up investment and hope for better future, it’s personal to Brexit. If Labour continue with their do nothing approach this will take years to unwind itself.
    You seem under some kind of illusion that the Tories have done anything whatsoever other than promise.
    There's been Brexit and Boris.
    Result. The levels of regional inequality have grown.
    Influx of investment? Haven't seen it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Cyclefree said:

Simply magnificent show

Now you know how some of us feel at the interminable discussions about cricket, football, rugby, FI.

This is just once. Never before, never again.

Although how different it is from other jubilees is open to debate.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes, except comparing by-election and general election results is usually a bit dodgy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

HYUFD said:

Con Te Partitò would have been a bit on the nose, I guess.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    theakes said:

Must be getting old like Rod Stewart, but I have got fed up with it and come to PB ouch. Up to now saved by some Opera. Royal Family must be bored stiff behind their smiles.

Got to be better than the Royal Variety, surely? That really must be a trial.

Anyway, can't have anyone upstaging the Queen.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Con Te Partitò would have been a bit on the nose, I guess.
    O Mio Babbino Caro for the PM. Likewise.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    That David Attenborough/ environmental section was stunning
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Calm down Horse. Johnson is on his way out. There will be a bounce for a non-Johnsonian new Con. leader. Mind you, it's hard to see past the economic carnage Boris and Richy Rich have left in their wake.
  • Options

That David Attenborough/ environmental section was stunning

Yes indeed, and quite a thing for the DoE, PoW and William.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    theakes said:

That's the job - overcoming boredom at events must take some training and determination.
  • Options

Simply magnificent show

Shame.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Simply magnificent show

We try to break up the cricket with travelogues and gardening tips, but admittedly the ratios are not equal.
  • Options
    Wow. Wills essentially holding a gun to Boris's head over zero carbon. The Firm must know he's weakened and there for the taking.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Wow. Wills essentially holding a gun to Boris's head over zero carbon. The Firm must know he's weakened and there for the taking.

One of the things that will definitely go if Tories ditch Johnson is zero-carbon.

For all his many, many faults he seems to get climate change.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

Succession is imminent (on 2 fronts)
  • Options

It is, currently at least, an issue which whilst people differ on the details is cared enough about by a broad enough group that the royals are able to bang on about it without it seeming too political for them to do so. Whether that remains so we shall have to see, if they start climbing on trains with XR.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Under Boris the UK has a net zero carbon target far more ambitious already than most of the G20
  • Options

Boris has been fully captured by the "destroy society to save the planet" lobby anyway. They must be worried about his successor.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,372

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Tell me I’m wrong.

One important caveat, though.

In 2019, there wasn't a Green candidate in Wakefield; this poll puts the Greens on 8 % this time round. One picture of the churn is a Con to Lab swing of about 16 points, with Labour then dropping 8 points to the Greens further left.

It's almost certainly not as neat as that, but it highlights the huge impact local factors can have.

(It's interesting to speculate what Red Wall Voters want; given that they tend to be older and comfortably off- sterotypically retired and with the mortgage on their Right to Buy houses paid off- is it more change, less change or reversed change that will appeal most?)
  • Options

One of the things that will definitely go if Tories ditch Johnson is zero-carbon.

I find it hard to judge - some Conservatives really don't give a shit, some play lip service because a lot of people care about it thesedays, but others truly are just as intense about it as anyone in XR or the like, even if they probably won't propose the same solutions. With the right leader I think the party could keep up many climate committments and carry the party through it.
  • Options

Carrie ensures that
  • Options
    Shame they finished the show with some pub singer. Presumably the budget ran out.
  • Options

Shame they finished the show with some pub singer. Presumably the budget ran out.

Diana Ross is finishing it, not Elton
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Diana Ross is finishing it, not Elton
    Thank **** for that!
  • Options
    I'd have had Stephen Fry down as a republican.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Wake up Bozo
    There's something that I've got to say to you...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

Big mates with Charles
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    "How many PMs tolerated"
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Tell me I’m wrong.

In 2019, there wasn't a Green candidate in Wakefield; this poll puts the Greens on 8 % this time round. One picture of the churn is a Con to Lab swing of about 16 points, with Labour then dropping 8 points to the Greens further left.

It's almost certainly not as neat as that, but it highlights the huge impact local factors can have.

(It's interesting to speculate what Red Wall Voters want; given that they tend to be older and comfortably off- sterotypically retired and with the mortgage on their Right to Buy houses paid off- is it more change, less change or reversed change that will appeal most?)
    We don't know which voters have switched how. I'd guess it's Con down 16 points, with 8 points going to Labour and 8 points going Green. There are lots of people who will vote Green as a NOTA party. I don't think the general electorate see the Green Party as to the left of Labour.
  • Options
    Charles really needs to find a new opening line, he's used that one before...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Under Boris the UK has a net zero carbon target far more ambitious already than most of the G20
    The market has already decided we are post-carbon. Massive investment in solar and so on.

When North Africa and India start to seriously lay out solar panels with interconnectors to rest of world e.g. Sahara and Morocco, then oil and gas are over.

• Options
    Applicant said:

Not one of the world's great public speakers.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

It's his greatest hits.....
  • Options

Applicant said:

Yes, I've never really understood why they aren't all great speakers, at least insofar as training can improve such things. I imagined it to be standard curriculum for royal sprogs.
  • Options

Until the Palace rang...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2022
    Applicant said:

Rod had throat/thyroid cancer and treatment. The fact he's still rocking at 250 years of age is an inspiration to all head and neck cancer survivors.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Applicant said:

The punters seemed to like it.. biggest round of applause tonight.

No booing must have been a relief after earlier audience interaction.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

HYUFD said:

The market has already decided we are post-carbon. Massive investment in solar and so on.

When North Africa and India start to seriously lay out solar panels with interconnectors to rest of world e.g. Sahara and Morocco, then oil and gas are over.

For energy. And long overdue. Trouble is you still need the other 40% or so of the barrel of oil for all the other stuff.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    kle4 said:

I find it hard to judge - some Conservatives really don't give a shit, some play lip service because a lot of people care about it thesedays, but others truly are just as intense about it as anyone in XR or the like, even if they probably won't propose the same solutions. With the right leader I think the party could keep up many climate committments and carry the party through it.
    Boris doesn’t give a XXXX about anything other than himself. He’s simply trying to keep her indoors happy.
  • Options
    The BBC will have spent god knows how many thousands of hours organizing the outside broadcasts for this weekend's events.

I know Nadine hates them, but does the average tory member really want the Beeb to be reduced to the point that they will not be able to do this kind of national event any more?

I don't think so. I suspect the Beeb is more popular amongst tory members than wider population.

Reshuffle her out.

• Options

I suspect a republican who got drawn in by the establishment and sold his soul... ;)
  • Options

Given his lack of honours, I would assume so.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm inclined to agree.
    It's really amazing how much Boris as his coterie of chancers have trashed the Tory brand that this is now a sensible conclusion to come to.

Not that I put any value on patriotism, of course. I think it's the mark of the truly stupid. But it's a bar that the Conservatives set for themselves and they now can't reach it. Be concerned, Conservatives.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Very impressive light show. In a country with this level of creativity who could have thought it a smart idea to make Nadine Dorries Minister of Culture?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Tell me I’m wrong.

We don't know which voters have switched how. I'd guess it's Con down 16 points, with 8 points going to Labour and 8 points going Green. There are lots of people who will vote Green as a NOTA party. I don't think the general electorate see the Green Party as to the left of Labour.
    No, I think that about half of the Green vote is Corbynite youngsters who dislike Starmer. Think of it as a more sophisticated version of BJO.
  • Options
    Whatever they have lined up for this finale, I really hope it doesn't involve kicking a ball.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Roger said:

Very impressive light show. In a country with this level of creativity who could have thought it a smart idea to make Nadine Dorries Minister of Culture?

Give it a rest
  • Options
    Why on Earth would anyone assume Stephen Fry was a Republican?
    Show your working there.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I suspect a republican who got drawn in by the establishment and sold his soul... ;)
    Nah, the old queen loves the Old Queen...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Why on Earth would anyone assume Stephen Fry was a Republican?
    Show your working there.

He's not Sir Stephen Fry.

Or even Stephen Fry MBE.
  • Options

The BBC will have spent god knows how many thousands of hours organizing the outside broadcasts for this weekend's events.

I know Nadine hates them, but does the average tory member really want the Beeb to be reduced to the point that they will not be able to do this kind of national event any more?

I don't think so. I suspect the Beeb is more popular amongst tory members than wider population.

Reshuffle her out.

I mean no one had ever said the BBC shouldn't exist, just that a tax to pay for it by threat of imprisonment doesn't work in the age of Netflix and YouTube....
This discussion has been closed.