Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov MRP poll has CON losing to LAB all but 3 of 88 marginals – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Farooq said:

Yes, Edinburgh looks very weird in this context. 13 councillors forming a minority administration, and even then they could only get 11 of those Labour councillors to support it.
    I'd be shocked if it goes the distance.

Even if it doesn't last, the short term consternation from the zoomers has been hugely entertaining
    All part of the game, like the songs on the terraces. It's Mr Sarwar's promise of no coalitions that has been a particular issue this time round, though, not entirely helped by its arguably intentionally deceptive wording. This is going to be interesting, especially after the Aberdeen fiasco in which he reversed Mr Leonard's policy - and then he seemed to reverse ferret and accept it after all.
    Madness for Nat ‘zoomers’ to highlight SLab working with the SCons, no political benefit whatsoever.

Meanwhile..

Now, that is interesting - Mr Findlay is hardly some no-account councillor.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

pigeon said:

On topic:

1. The YouGov MRP substantially underestimated the scale of the Conservative victory in 2019.
    2. There could be 2.5 years plus until the next election.
    3. More fundamentally, the predictive value of polling held even quite close to an election can be very poor indeed. How quickly we have forgotten 2017.

For all these reasons I would be inclined not to pay much attention to opinion polls full stop. They only become relevant if and when they get consistently bad enough to set off widespread panic within the Tory party about a heavy loss of seats, and even then they might not change anything.

The Conservatives are listless, rudderless, dithering and weak - and if a sense of fatalism about the inevitability of defeat sets in amongst them (such that MPs in threatened marginals throw in the towel and start to research different career opportunities, and the rest of the party starts to go on about how a period in opposition might actually be good for it,) then they might grow so apathetic that they simply lack the energy to give Johnson the heave-ho. It might ultimately be viewed as less trouble to let the voters of Uxbridge and South Ruislip do their dirty work for them.

It's a real long-shot but the worst thing for Labour would be an economic recovery and change of PM by, say, the end of 2023 - maybe a 25% shot….
    It would have to be the other way round.
    No way is Johnson going if they procrastinate long enough for there to be a chance of economic recovery.

If they don’t boot him now, they are toast.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Bob Neil's article in the Daily Telegraph is MUST reading, especially for those remaining Boris supporters on here.

You should read this ... and weep.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/27/tories-win-next-election-boris-has-go/

I can't read the article but I rate Bob Neill highly.
    To summarise:
    After the Gray Report, Bob Neill cannot accept that Boris did not know what was going on.
    He is showing the PM respect by not believing he's stupid enough to have had no idea of events.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    Excl: Keir Starmer is writing a book to set out his plans for a “renewed Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5b1dc8ee-ddef-11ec-bcbd-e35b52e0266c?shareToken=a8f16201e863c26a2f203a159c909768
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

Good article in the Atlantic explaining how small, rural, Republican states have power far beyond their numbers in the US system thanks to the filibuster, repeatedly stopping policies which have clear majority support such as gun control:

https://apple.news/AQuvXYclARdyFb5hXyKSydg

And who is blocking changing the filibuster at the moment? Two Dem senators.

• Options

Did we cover this at PMQs last Wednesday? Boris has a new slogan.

In answer to Keir Starmer: We are going to put our arms around the people of this country...

In answer to Andy McDonald: we will get through it very well by putting our arms around people...

In answer to Christian Wakeford: continue to put our arms around the people of this country...

Lame one if so.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

I must confess in 2019 it seemed to me that the self indulgent stupidity of Labour putting Corbyn forward as PM for the second time had not only lost that election but the next one. At that time my expectation was that a worst case for the Tories was probably a 1992 victory the next time out.

I no longer think that which is a credit to the efforts of SKS and a reflection of the chaos Boris has unleashed on the party and the country. What does the current government stand for? It's certainly not economic stability, balanced accounts, a long term perspective on our problems, low taxes, an environment that promotes investment and training, I could go on all day.

I think, in fairness, they have had an extremely difficult hand to play with the economic catastrophe of Covid, the consequences of Putin's mad invasion and an ever more beligerent China but they seem to me to stagger from one make do to the next without a plan, without vision, without thought of the consequences. They are an extremely unconservative government in every way. They do not respect the rule of law, our institutions, our sense of dignity and proprietry. Enough.

Tangentially, everyone keeps calling Boris a lucky general, but his time in office has been uniquely blighted by circumstance even if you ignore his own moral and practical failings.
    So he’s the Tories’ Jonah ?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

I must confess in 2019 it seemed to me that the self indulgent stupidity of Labour putting Corbyn forward as PM for the second time had not only lost that election but the next one. At that time my expectation was that a worst case for the Tories was probably a 1992 victory the next time out.

I no longer think that which is a credit to the efforts of SKS and a reflection of the chaos Boris has unleashed on the party and the country. What does the current government stand for? It's certainly not economic stability, balanced accounts, a long term perspective on our problems, low taxes, an environment that promotes investment and training, I could go on all day.

I think, in fairness, they have had an extremely difficult hand to play with the economic catastrophe of Covid, the consequences of Putin's mad invasion and an ever more beligerent China but they seem to me to stagger from one make do to the next without a plan, without vision, without thought of the consequences. They are an extremely unconservative government in every way. They do not respect the rule of law, our institutions, our sense of dignity and proprietry. Enough.

Tangentially, everyone keeps calling Boris a lucky general, but his time in office has been uniquely blighted by circumstance even if you ignore his own moral and practical failings.
    The Tories are Jonah. Boris is the whale.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Do we call them a 'shooter' because 'gunman' is sexist? It is always a man or men.

The silicon chip inside her head
    Got switched to overload
    And nobody's gonna go to school today
    She's gonna make them stay at home

Not always man or men. Usually is, but not always. 😞
    What's wrong with "murderer"? Nicely gender-free.
    ‘Murderer’ is actually masculine. The female equivalent is ‘murderess.’
    Speaking of which we weren't allowed to call the First Lady, Lady Macbeth, but is Helen of Troy permitted?
    More like Lady Capulet.
    Not seeing that, lady C stayed put Shirley?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583
    IshmaelZ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Z,

"Is there any precedent for help with cost of living crises?"

It's totally new to me. I suppose it must be a younger generation, namby-pamby, mental health issue. Every time inflation goes over 2% , it will be start printing money or we'll be all be bigots.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't know they are born, do they? In the 70s I was living on a small island in a lake of sulphuric acid...

But I don't see how it's working if it's not hurting. The one thing worse than a wage inflation spiral is a wage plus government help for hard working families inflation spiral
    Though for most people, it will still hurt an awful lot. Sadly, necessarily so.

(And even the £400 per household is largely recycling the windfall from freezing tax thresholds when inflation is about 10%.)
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

If 54 letters do go in and in the resulting VOC 184 (say) Tory MPs vote against Johnson one wonders why 130 of them lacked confidence in their leader but didn't bother brandishing their quills.

Indeed. There is no point in a vote unless it is won.

Is the confidence vote public or by secret ballot?
    Secret. That's why I think Johnson will lose it.
    Submitting letters can be secret too, and yet while we don't know how many are in we do know it's not enough. Secrecy doesn't always lead to boldness.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

He made his home in
    A fish's abdomen
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Bob Neil's article in the Daily Telegraph is MUST reading, especially for those remaining Boris supporters on here.

You should read this ... and weep.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/27/tories-win-next-election-boris-has-go/

I can't read the article but I rate Bob Neill highly.
    To summarise:
    After the Gray Report, Bob Neill cannot accept that Boris did not know what was going on.
    He is showing the PM respect by not believing he's stupid enough to have had no idea of events.
    He is showing the PM utter disrespect by not believing he is so stupid as to have no idea what was going on.

To be be fair, there’s at least 25 of the current crop of Tory MPs with a sense of decency and backbone to voice it.

Anyway, I don’t want to see anything typed in capital letters or capital numbers this morning, I have a terrible hangover.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Excl: Keir Starmer is writing a book to set out his plans for a “renewed Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/5b1dc8ee-ddef-11ec-bcbd-e35b52e0266c?shareToken=a8f16201e863c26a2f203a159c909768

I like that. Virtually no one will read it and it may just be a rambling tome, but it could be a sign of trying to think harder about things.

I won't believe a spad won't be the one who actually pulls it together though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited May 2022
    eek said:

CD13 said:

BoJo's talent is to project an image successfully. An amateur blundering around, but at heart someone who wants the best for the country. Harold Wilson projected a cuddly image. Margaret Thatcher a competent, functional image.

Sorry but the only image I get of Bozo is someone in it for himself and destroying anyone or anything that would remove him from where he is.

CD13 is correct that Boris has carefully crafted an image, a persona. Where I disagree is that the notion that that Boris includes projecting he wants the best for the country. It isn’t part of it.

Critically Boris projects an image that he is an anti-politics anti-politician. He is there to take down the pomposity of the establishment. His constituency are those who want to see the world burn.

Ironically, he is the very essence of the establishment and pomposity. It’s a potent trick.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,414
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Do we call them a 'shooter' because 'gunman' is sexist? It is always a man or men.

The silicon chip inside her head
    Got switched to overload
    And nobody's gonna go to school today
    She's gonna make them stay at home

Not always man or men. Usually is, but not always. 😞
    What's wrong with "murderer"? Nicely gender-free.
    ‘Murderer’ is actually masculine. The female equivalent is ‘murderess.’
    Speaking of which we weren't allowed to call the First Lady, Lady Macbeth, but is Helen of Troy permitted?
    More like Lady Capulet.
    Not seeing that, lady C stayed put Shirley?
    So did Lady Macbeth until the moment of her suicide.

Perhaps Jessica in The Merchant of Venice, although of course she was the daughter rather than the wife of Shylock.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Yes, that is very fair. Almost any PM would have struggled with the last few years. I think the importance of Brexit is constantly overstated but there is also no question that the country has been deeply divided by it just as we in Scotland continue to be deeply divided by independence. Divided countries are never easy to govern but it needs a PM who can work hard at bringing people together and developing a sense of common purpose. Boris is almost the antithitis of this. He thrives on division, scorn and lying. It has undoubtedly aggravated the situation.
    I agree Boris has been hit by extraordinary events since becoming PM, more extraordinary than any PM since Chamberlain . However that doesn't mean it should be a disadvantage. Boris doesn't get blamed for causing COVID and it is an opportunity to take credit for handling it. What it has done is suppressed all the potential Brexit disaster stories such that only Leon now keeps going on about it and for that he is lucky.
    It’s almost certainly true that, absent the pandemic, an eager pro-EU media would have been splashing every small story of trade friction as if it were the Apocolypse, on a daily basis since 2021.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

If 54 letters do go in and in the resulting VOC 184 (say) Tory MPs vote against Johnson one wonders why 130 of them lacked confidence in their leader but didn't bother brandishing their quills.

Indeed. There is no point in a vote unless it is won.

Is the confidence vote public or by secret ballot?
    Secret. That's why I think Johnson will lose it.
    Submitting letters can be secret too, and yet while we don't know how many are in we do know it's not enough. Secrecy doesn't always lead to boldness.
    But getting to 54 is a substantive tipping point not just procedural. Now: Big Dog is so powerful his enemies cannot even get 54 letters in; he is invulnerable and will triumph at whatever he sets his hand to. Then: cancel that last thought.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited May 2022
    CD13 said:

BoJo's talent is to project an image successfully. An amateur blundering around, but at heart someone who wants the best for the country. Harold Wilson projected a cuddly image. Margaret Thatcher a competent, functional image.

All successful ones do. People who take politics seriously are annoyed by this. Some feel that it somehow shouldn't be allowed. But taking politics seriously doesn't mean you're better at it. We have people allowed out on their own who believe North Korea is the route to go down. If only people could see what Kim, whoever he is now, is being seriously maligned.

For what it's worth, I have no time for Bojo, but he's good at what he does. It may feel like Frankie Howerd on a bad day, but I have only one vote.

Wilson took to a pipe, Bojo has a vaudeville routine, Corbyn is a Trotsky tribute act, Putin controls the media. Whichever stage act you prefer automatically gains credibility. There's no science to it. Political science is a great oxymoron.

Let it wash over you. Democracy is the important thing.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. That he projects an image of himself that is invented and he does it well and though it might be irritating it's successful? And you say this in reply to a header that suggests he's heading for an unprecedented failure and with approval ratings lower than Corbyn's?

If this is what you're saying then shouldn't he try his talents at something where they are appreciated?
  • Options
    eek said:

CD13 said:

Sorry but the only image I get of Bozo is someone in it for himself and destroying anyone or anything that would remove him from where he is.

True, but anyone here counts as an expert.

The Boris facade is that he isn't a politician, and he wants the best for the country.

The Boris reality is that he has all the vices of politicians but none of the virtues... That takes a while to realise. But everyone gets there in the end.

Reader, I voted for him a couple of times. Sorry, everyone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Scott_xP said:

A book? Normally opposition leaders go for a column in a national newspaper.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This looks like a case of Marxism Derangement Syndrome. Does anyone have any deeper insight as to why so many "outstanding" teacher training courses are failing the new accreditation scheme?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/28/government-pushing-universities-out-of-teacher-training-over-leftwing-politics-say-leaders
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635
    edited May 2022

kjh said:

Stocky said:

I agree with Fishing and CR that mid-term polls hold little value as a guide 2+ years out.

However, Tory MPs will take note of them - saving their own skins and saving the Tory brand in general may do for Johnson rather than the Partygate stuff itself.

Yes, the relationship between Johnson and the Conservative Party has become purely transactional (was it ever anything else?). If many Conservative MPs think (and polls are really the best available indicator) he's got the best shot at leading them to victory, they'll keep him. If they don't, they won't. Sentiment or consideration of any wider interest does not enter into it.
    Really Nick? I am sure that is true of many but I would like to think some are principled.
    Yes, I phrased it badly. The keyword there is "many". I absolutely think there are also many principled Conservative MPs, and probabhly quite a few who feel conflicted between principle and pragmatism.
    I disliked your spin post yesterday Nick stating that because of the money splurge on Thursday Labour lead should drop to 2 points or you will be gobsmacked. I have the opposite opinion - and we both can’t be right or playing it straight - I have Tories entering June Gloom in polling, Thursday as merely what the voters expect from government in such a crisis, nothing special and if anything late response and poorly targeted,. Things I’m watching out for from the coming polls to assess movement amongst the MOE

The biggest lead Opinium have given Labour since the change is 4.
    The lowest Tory vote share on Opinium since the change, 34.

The last lab Lib green total from yougov recent first - 58, 56, 52, looking for trend for it being bigger than 58; if it breaks 60 milestone it can be spun as 6 out of 10 voters in an anti Tory alliance due to toxic Boris lethal drag on Tory performance
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Alistair said:

This looks like a case of Marxism Derangement Syndrome. Does anyone have any deeper insight as to why so many "outstanding" teacher training courses are failing the new accreditation scheme?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/may/28/government-pushing-universities-out-of-teacher-training-over-leftwing-politics-say-leaders

Because although they are the most effective way of training teachers they're also expensive. So the government wants to replace them with on the job training in schools instead which is (a) considerably cheaper and (b) for all their bleatings, masks the fact that rather a lot of vacancies are proving difficult to fill at the moment.

It's the same reason they're grading all schools designed to help those with really complex SEND as 4 so they get closed and the pupils transferred to mainstream schools.

Which is, to reduce it to its essentials, why I literally had to get a child off the roof yesterday afternoon.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I like that. Virtually no one will read it and it may just be a rambling tome, but it could be a sign of trying to think harder about things.

At least after Durham Constabulary have thrown the book at him he will have plenty of time to finish it.

We have been waiting years for BigDog's next opus volumes sadly he is going to be far to busy to conclude them for decades to come.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

A book? Normally opposition leaders go for a column in a national newspaper.
    Hmmm unconvinced by a book, most of the electorate will barely pay attention to a list of 10 manifesto promises let alone a book. Perhaps he should given labour's popularity with younger demographics make it a graphic novel.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Just heard a clip of Trump reading out the names of the Uvalde victims at the NRA annual convention in Texas, a single toll of a bell between each name. I’m ashamed to say I’d forgotten the crass cheesiness of which he’s capable.

It’s just a matter of time before these people are demanding that school kids be armed.

I've got it - everyone is homeschooled or taught online, while schools are used as gun storage facilities.
    There’s quite a large part of the US right which would like to abolish public schooling.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Have we covered Piers Morgan adopting the Andrew Neil approach on escaping a dying TV channel

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10862591/Piers-Morgan-month-Talk-TV-show.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Because although they are the most effective way of training teachers they're also expensive. So the government wants to replace them with on the job training in schools instead which is (a) considerably cheaper and (b) for all their bleatings, masks the fact that rather a lot of vacancies are proving difficult to fill at the moment.

It's the same reason they're grading all schools designed to help those with really complex SEND as 4 so they get closed and the pupils transferred to mainstream schools.

Which is, to reduce it to its essentials, why I literally had to get a child off the roof yesterday afternoon.
    I am always curious about teaching Physics, but stories of paperwork, low pay, cheap babysitting and riot control do tend to put you off sharing the wonders of Ohm’s law.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Alistair said:

It's a power grab at the curriculum. Simple.
    As I noted earlier. There's a huge shortage of teachers right now. Pay is not competitive. Older hands are quitting. And a huge demographic cohort hitting Secondary age.
    De-professionalise the job is the way to solve it in this government's eyes. It succeeded in FE.
    Plus. The Tories just adore Red Tape. As much as possible for other people. I expect we'll see volunteers in the classroom before too long.
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

I am always curious about teaching Physics, but stories of paperwork, low pay, cheap babysitting and riot control do tend to put you off sharing the wonders of Ohm’s law.
    There's plenty of Brownian, well, brown motion involved in teaching right now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Jonathan said:

eek said:

CD13 said:

CD13 is correct that Boris has carefully crafted an image, a persona. Where I disagree is that the notion that that Boris includes projecting he wants the best for the country. It isn’t part of it.

Critically Boris projects an image that he is an anti-politics anti-politician. He is there to take down the pomposity of the establishment. His constituency are those who want to see the world burn.

Ironically, he is the very essence of the establishment and pomposity. It’s a potent trick.
    But the trick only works until people see through it at which point they are likely to swing the other way and blame anyone associated with Bozo (i.e. their local Tory MP) rather than themselves.

Most new MPs get a boost when they first stand for re-election, as today's poll shows that boost has already disappeared and the economic pain that will be this year hasn't even started yet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

At least after Durham Constabulary have thrown the book at him he will have plenty of time to finish it.

We have been waiting years for BigDog's next opus volumes sadly he is going to be far to busy to conclude them for decades to come.
    This isn’t a test match you’re observing.
    While I applaud the effort to jinx him, I’m not convinced it will work.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

That pretty much explains my current resistance to becoming a teacher
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

More so than usual? Teachers have always had a raw deal.

The pay is criminally low compared to the impact, responsibility and qualifications required. 24k to teach Physics, doesn’t look quite so generous when you have to pay 9k fees.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Alistair said:

Perhaps we could divert all resources for training professionals to the PB Tory's preferred method of educational delivery. Box ticking, assessment by video NVQs, and modern apprenticeships.

Levelling up, or dumbing down?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Some more on the story here;

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/just-1-in-3-teacher-trainers-re-accredited-after-first-review-round/

Basically, the government created another hooplah for teacher trainers to jump through without thinking about practicalities.

The wider problem is that if teacher retention were better, recruitment and training wouldn't be needed so much.

Unions calling strikes is bad, but the free market solution- staff just leave- is even harder to manage.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

IshmaelZ said:

CD13 said:

Mr Z,

"Is there any precedent for help with cost of living crises?"

It's totally new to me. I suppose it must be a younger generation, namby-pamby, mental health issue. Every time inflation goes over 2% , it will be start printing money or we'll be all be bigots.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Don't know they are born, do they? In the 70s I was living on a small island in a lake of sulphuric acid...

But I don't see how it's working if it's not hurting. The one thing worse than a wage inflation spiral is a wage plus government help for hard working families inflation spiral
    Though for most people, it will still hurt an awful lot. Sadly, necessarily so.

(And even the £400 per household is largely recycling the windfall from freezing tax thresholds when inflation is about 10%.)
    Yes, if people do get CPI payrises, that fiscal drag will be tremendous.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

The irony being that many school based teacher training schemes are very much cottage industries who can't possibly cope with the bureaucracy associated with re-accreditation. Especially right now.

Given their malice, the incompetence of this government is something of a saving grace.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Oh yes. And the "Provider Relationship Managers" is another favourite solution.
    An entirely new layer of management created to solve problems which exist only in the minds of those in Whitehall.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Stocky said:

Lack of confidence in the other 129.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555
    Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Hint: it’s ridiculously picturesque and pleasant

• Options
    Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Bognor Butlins.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Bognor Butlins.
    Bugger Butlins!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,395
    Farooq said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

That pretty much explains my current resistance to becoming a teacher
    I was quite neutral about it at first, but my teacher at school charged me up about it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    A somewhat belated Good Morning everyone.
    Totally o/t but looks as though our blue-tit chicks are preparing to leave the nest-box. Sometimes all out of the nest itself and clustering round one of the exits.
    Looks like they need a few more feathers, though. Looks as though the parents will rear 6 from 8 eggs.
  • Options

A somewhat belated Good Morning everyone.
    Totally o/t but looks as though our blue-tit chicks are preparing to leave the nest-box. Sometimes all out of the nest itself and clustering round one of the exits.
    Looks like they need a few more feathers, though. Looks as though the parents will rear 6 from 8 eggs.

Nice metaphor.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

No, I think it will be Starmers work. Worthy, stodgy and longwinded, yet vague.

He needs to distill it down to pledge cards. Somewhere in a drawer I have a 1997 one signed and given to me by Prescott himself.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

The pay is criminally low compared to the impact, responsibility and qualifications required. 24k to teach Physics, doesn’t look quite so generous when you have to pay 9k fees.
    A guy who was recently working for me has taken a job as a labourer with a contractor at Tata Steel, starting salary £29k plus overtime. It's a horrible job he has been allocated, the back- breaking shovelling up of spilled coke being delivered to the coke ovens in roasting temperatures.

There is a certain irony that wealthy MPs spend fortunes on a expensive education for their children, yet advise the hoi poloi not to bother because they can earn more shovelling coke than they can educating the nation. How then do the children of MPs invest their educational qualifications? There may be no money in coal-face education, but I suspect management roles in Academy schools are worth a punt with the right network connections.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

A guy who was recently working for me has taken a job as a labourer with a contractor at Tata Steel, starting salary £29k plus overtime. It's a horrible job he has been allocated, the back- breaking shovelling up of spilled coke being delivered to the coke ovens in roasting temperatures.

There is a certain irony that wealthy MPs spend fortunes on a expensive education for their children, yet advise the hoi poloi not to bother because they can earn more shovelling coke than they can educating the nation. How then do the children of MPs invest their educational qualifications? There may be no money in coal-face education, but I suspect management roles in Academy schools are worth a punt with the right network connections.
    There’s a joke in there somewhere, about MPs shovelling coke…
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Absolutely. Could be any Cotswold village from that hint.

As an aside, I am shocked that patriot monarchist @Leon is planning to be out of the country for Her Maj's big celebration. He's no true patriot!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Was the photographer still hungover? The picture looks a bit squiffy to me.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176
    Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Hartlepool?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Careful, somebody might give you smack.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

No, I think it will be Starmers work. Worthy, stodgy and longwinded, yet vague.

He needs to distill it down to pledge cards. Somewhere in a drawer I have a 1997 one signed and given to me by Prescott himself.
    ... but maybe the pledges should not be set in stone, eh?

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

A few more of you big brains have arisen from slumber so - cummon - can I have responses to my post early this morning:

If (as pigeon posits) the LP win most seats but are reliant on support from both the LDs and SNP, which of these scenarios would play out?:

1) LDs and SNP agree to go into formal coalition with the LP

or

2) LDs ands SNP would only support the LP with no formal coalition

Or would LDs opt for one and the SNP the other.

Bear in mind that only formal coalition would result in LD and SNP cabinet ministers.

3)
    Labour rules as a minority government. Refuses to offer a Coalition. It introduces things the SNP like. A referendum in 4 years time. And things the LD's like. PR for Councils and possibly HoL? The latter would be a multi year project. And nowt else radical. They are able to command a solid majority in practice.
    Meanwhile. The Conservative Party has to confront its ideological incoherence and has a difficult debate about what the heck it is for.
    Then Labour goes to the country after two years.
    It's the Wilson playbook.
    They need to win first of course. And a lot depends on the numbers of course.
    This is only possible if LP wins most seats (but no majority).

What if CP win most seats but no majority and the only majority that can be found is LP/LD/SNP?
    Is it?
    It's perfectly possible to rule as the second largest Party provided you can pass a Queen's Speech. Although the media and Tories would kick up a stink.
    Surely in that scenario it would be the CP which runs as a minority government? I know that would be short-lived.
    No. Because unless they had the numbers with the DUP they'd be unlikely to pass a Queen's Speech. That's what makes you the government. Not a headcount or popular vote count.
    Right, but if LP have the numbers with LD/SNP, as Tories did with DUP, then aren't you going with 2) above? Isn't your number 3) the same as my number 2)?
    Yes. I guess so. The difference being, Labour doesn't offer the option of Coalition under my scenario. They have no constitutional need to. Nor any political imperative.
    A Queen's Speech with an Indyref some years in the future, and some kind of move towards PR wouldn't be voted down.
    Ok, so that narrows down the particular post-election government flavour to three feasible possibilities:

Lab Minority (2.36)
    Con Majority (3.3)
    Lab and LD Coalition (12.5)

I have discounted SNP in coalition (posters below), Con Minority (as CP has no friends) and Lab Majority (maths, not going to happen).

Smarket odds on the three feasibles are above in brackets (Smarkets). I'm keeping an eye on this market. Not particularly backable at the moment with a book percentage of 140% and the back side and 75% on the lay side.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Bognor Butlins.
    Bugger Butlins!
    Bugger Bognor, shirley?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Steve Brine (Winchester) has submitted his letter to Sir Graham.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

As I noted earlier. There's a huge shortage of teachers right now. Pay is not competitive. Older hands are quitting. And a huge demographic cohort hitting Secondary age.
    De-professionalise the job is the way to solve it in this government's eyes. It succeeded in FE.
    Plus. The Tories just adore Red Tape. As much as possible for other people. I expect we'll see volunteers in the classroom before too long.
    Tories don't give a shit about state education because most of them don't use it. My solution is simple: no cabinet minister or senior civil servant can send their child to private school. You would be amazed at how quickly the situation would improve.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Was that a second hint? Edit: just realised the different photo! Duh.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Picture quiz, where was I two days ago.

• Options
    edited May 2022

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Bognor Butlins.
    Bugger Butlins!
    Bugger Bognor, shirley?
    Well, it was an attempted pun on ‘bugger Bognor’ and actually substituting ‘bugger’ for Bognor, but it seems not to have been well received.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Some place along the River Danube?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Was that a second hint? Edit: just realised the different photo! Duh.
    We are looking for a Christian country (see the church) with a river and a steep hill (earlier photo) that is trying to revitalise its tourist industry post-Covid. Is it North Wales?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Excellent. I hope that Tory MPs are starting to notice that in the post Boris world, it’s not going to be good to be one of those that did nothing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Careful, somebody might give you smack.
    Only a dope would.
  • Options
    Another hint

There’s a lot of UKRAINE flags

Plus you can see their insane script here

• Options
    Leon said:

Another hint

Stoke on Trent?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    JohnO said:

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    1h
    In a statement on his personal website - https://stevebrine.com/news/statement-after-sue-gray-report-published.

Which actually went up on WEDNESDAY but seemingly entirely unnoticed.

https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky
  • Options

Ooh. Didn’t you say you were in Berlin?

Sans souci?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Some place along the River Danube?
    Somewhere near Veliki Tarnova in Bulgaria.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited May 2022

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Tories don't give a shit about state education because most of them don't use it. My solution is simple: no cabinet minister or senior civil servant can send their child to private school. You would be amazed at how quickly the situation would improve.
    Actually the majority of Tory MPs now went to state school. However the Tories also believe in choice, including private education
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another hint

The script looks Georgian.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No surprise, his seat is a top LD target
  • Options

JohnO said:

Tom Larkin
    @TomLarkinSky
    ·
    1h
    In a statement on his personal website - https://stevebrine.com/news/statement-after-sue-gray-report-published.

Which actually went up on WEDNESDAY but seemingly entirely unnoticed.

https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky
    ex-BBC man so obviously a communist.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Another hint

Tblisi
  • Options
    One more subtle hint

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Leon said:

Ooh. Didn’t you say you were in Berlin?

Sans souci?
    Not that far away, but grimmer.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,296
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Where is Vakhtang?
  • Options
    Leon said:

One more subtle hint

We've had that. Do keep up.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

Tblisi
    Congrats!

I’m not sure I’ve been to a more immediately appealing city

I mean, I’m sure there are horrible bits. And the traffic is heavy. And the centre is touristy. But it is extremely pretty and tumbledown yet chic and very cheap and there are excellent wine bars everywhere

👍👍
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

The average full time equivalent salary for teachers is £40k, compared to the UK average salary of £31k

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/teachers-pay/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

Tblisi
    Congrats!

Did you take a midnight train to get there?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

The average full time equivalent salary for teachers is £40k, compared to the UK average salary of £31k

And yet there is a recruitment and retention crisis. Perhaps pay isn't everything.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Excellent. I hope that Tory MPs are starting to notice that in the post Boris world, it’s not going to be good to be one of those that did nothing.
    63% of Conservative voters do not want Boris to resign, there is no guarantee a majority of Conservative MPs will think differently even if there is a VONC vote

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1529453755447627777?s=20&t=sY7sKq-V02zMMBPViMS30Q
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

So what? If you want to attract experienced professionals to Physics teachers you need to pay more than 24k minus fees. Anyway, £40k is not a lot compared to what they have to do. Teachers are professionals equivalent to lawyers and doctors.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

Tblisi
    Congrats!

I believe that you have to change to a bus at the Georgian border. Though direct trains are planned from Ankara.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Another hint

Tblisi
    Congrats!

Midnight plane from Athens. Arrived dawn. Am knackered but consoling myself with delicious cold Georgian wine at £2 a glass

It’s also absurdly easy to get in. Show your vax status - takes 30 seconds - no visa required. Nothing. You’re in. And you can stay for a year

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,296

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Picture Quiz

Where am I?

Not much of a hint
    Fair enough

Where is Vakhtang?
    King Vakhtang I of Iberia, who it is claimed founded Tbilisi (and whose statue is just out of picture), had a son called Leon.

Leon was enfeoffed.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

63% of Conservative voters do not want Boris to resign, there is no guarantee a majority of Conservative MPs will think differently even if there is a VONC vote

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1529453755447627777?s=20&t=sY7sKq-V02zMMBPViMS30Q
    You miss the point. If there is a new regime, there will want to be a clean break. Those MPs that stood up for standards will prosper, those that sat on their hands will be saying they didn’t like it, but….
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

So what? If you want to attract experienced professionals to Physics teachers you need to pay more than 24k minus fees. Anyway, £40k is not a lot compared to what they have to do. Teachers are professionals equivalent to lawyers and doctors.
    The average lawyer and doctor went to a Russell Group university, the average state school teacher did not unless they teach in a top private school or grammar school or absolutely top comprehensive or academy or free school.

Alternatively you could have performance related pay so the teachers who could the best exam results in the school get the most and bonuses and the teachers who get the worst results get a pay cut
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Loyal to the end followed by quick approval of new leader
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,620
    O/T
    Looking at the 3 marginals of Dudley N, Bassetlaw and Ashfield that the Conservatives are supposed not to win, they all have rather specific circumstances which it would be impossible to adequately model in any general MRP poll.
    i.e.
    - In one the former MP told his supporters to vote Conservative
    - In another the Brexit supporting former MP was nominated to the Lords by Theresa May sitting as an independent, while Corbyn's far left NEC contrived to deselect the new Labour candidate two weeks after the local party selected her
    - In the third, Labour went from 1st to 3rd, the Ashfield Independents gaining 27%, and with the new Conservative MP having defected as a Labour councillor the year before and having been the office manager of the former Labour MP.

5 years on I don't think these factors would be anything like as potent and I would expect a larger swing back to be expected. As the MRP methodology won't have picked such unique circumstances up, all 3 seats could yet fall to Labour too.
This discussion has been closed.