Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why this BoJo confidence wager is a good bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

There is only one conclusion from this report and that is Boris has to go

Time for his mps to act

And yet you support smokescreens and diversions chucked out by number 10 to save the big dog. It’s really odd.
    What are you referring to
    As the Daily Mail’s PB correspondent, you have a tendency to repeat their lines all designed to save big dog.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

IshmaelZ said:

Is it just me, or is the Gray report completely meh?

Sometimes things are sexier when you leave something to the imagination.

After all the hype of the past six months, no report could live up to expectations, unless there was a photo of Boris and Gove snorting crack off a hooker.
    Is that in the Appendix to the Report? Haven't got that far yet....
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

One line jumps out from the conclusions:

It is my firm belief, however, that these events did not reflect the prevailing culture in Government and the Civil Service at the time.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Pulpstar said:

If people think there is nothing doing with the report, it speaks that the most marvellous frog boiling operation has been performed by No 10 on the collective minds of the public.

They were all at work is going to be the defence. Ham & Cheese sandwiches and booze notwithstanding.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,879
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Credit to France for actually supplying Ukraine with the means to defend itself, despite their advocating a deal with Russia.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1529399870028763136
    French Caesar howitzers are already at the frontline - 🇺🇦Army Commander Zaluzhnyi

They can hit targets 42 km away with high accuracy, important for targeting 🇷🇺 command points. Macron announced 12 Caesars would go to Ukraine on 22 Apr

The German government’s attitude - or at least that of Scholz and his party - seems to be that Ukraine should be forced to capitulate.

Scholz, at the very least, is an absolute ass. There are also some serious questions to be asked about the links he has with Russia.
    It's always hard to judge foreign politicians, but the problem with Scholz seems to be that he is simply a crap politician. Always saying the wrong thing, making blundering mis-statements, riling people up - even when he doesn't have to. Amateur hour

He's a reminder that Merkel, for all her failings - now painfully exposed - was a real pro. Diplomatic, adroit, cunning
  • Options
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Credit to France for actually supplying Ukraine with the means to defend itself, despite their advocating a deal with Russia.

French Caesar howitzers are already at the frontline - 🇺🇦Army Commander Zaluzhnyi

They can hit targets 42 km away with high accuracy, important for targeting 🇷🇺 command points. Macron announced 12 Caesars would go to Ukraine on 22 Apr

The German government’s attitude - or at least that of Scholz and his party - seems to be that Ukraine should be forced to capitulate.

Scholz, at the very least, is an absolute ass. There are also some serious questions to be asked about the links he has with Russia.
    It's always hard to judge foreign politicians, but the problem with Scholz seems to be that he is simply a crap politician. Always saying the wrong thing, making blundering mis-statements, riling people up - even when he doesn't have to. Amateur hour

He's a reminder that Merkel, for all her failings - now painfully exposed - was a real pro. Diplomatic, adroit, cunning
    And yet you support Boris who’s tendency to say the wrong thing surpasses anyone and has caused all sorts of problems. It doesn’t add up.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Pulpstar said:

If people think there is nothing doing with the report, it speaks that the most marvellous frog boiling operation has been performed by No 10 on the collective minds of the public.

It does.
    But am wondering if everyone has been following the twists and turns quite as closely as we have on here?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Time for his mps to act

And yet you support smokescreens and diversions chucked out by number 10 to save the big dog. It’s really odd.
    As the Daily Mail’s PB correspondent, you have a tendency to repeat their lines all designed to save big dog.
    Utter nonsense and I use comment pieces from across the media, largely from Sky and BBC

I am not tribal but do seek fairness
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited May 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Sometimes things are sexier when you leave something to the imagination.

After all the hype of the past six months, no report could live up to expectations, unless there was a photo of Boris and Gove snorting crack off a hooker.
    This report needed a sequinned g string. It’s so meh as Z put it, when history books cover Partygate they probably won’t even mention Sue Gray report 😕

What a let down for our excite buds.

However, good news for excite buds, I reckon MET will reopen the case and give doggy another FPN, based on so many senior MET officers in media expecting this now. So easily done too “we didn’t see that bit of significant new evidence”
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2022

So, we now know that all the government ministers who said the PM was ambushed by cake and no alcohol was consumed at his birthday party were not telling the truth.

Are you sure? The ones on BBC website that specifically say birthday just show orange and apple juice and a tray of sandwiches. They actually don't look bad at all. Sunak seems very unlucky to get fined.
    From the report - Page 43

As i said down thread i thought that was a can of coke, but it is a beer.

If this had been the extent of the rule breaking it would have been a massive nothing....which begs the question, how he got fined for this (and Sunak), but not the other events.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

IshmaelZ said:

One entirely unsurprising detail in the report - the disrespectful treatment of cleaners and security staff. I first came up against this kind of attitude when I went to Cambridge, the attitudes of some of the posh kids to the "staff" was a sight to behold. I guess they never grow out of it.
    Agree with this sentiment. Worked as cleaner, porter and bar staff while at Oxford and routinely took nonsense in the first couple of weeks.

Note that the big Cameroon 'scandal'* involved alleged mistreatment of security.

*well, unless you count pasties and lies about dead politicians.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

So, we now know that all the government ministers who said the PM was ambushed by cake and no alcohol was consumed at his birthday party were not telling the truth.

Are you sure? The ones on BBC website that specifically say birthday just show orange and apple juice and a tray of sandwiches. They actually don't look bad at all. Sunak seems very unlucky to get fined.

Is that it? By no stretch of the imagination is that a "party"

It's an informal, and really rather crappy working lunch, of supermarket sandwiches and readymade salads etc, with one man - the leader - trying to inspire his team by waving his Coke can in the air, because it's his birthday. That's it. That really is it

Bunga Bunga it ain't
  • Options
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

And yet he won an election campaign from starting third.
    How does a crap politician manage that?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

The report will have no serious impact. Johnson will not resign, his MPs will not force him out and no-one in the wider country will change their minds. All of which is very bad news for the Tories.

Excellent summary.
  • Options
    Apparently when the MET decided not to investigate the Carrie party Sue Gray decided not to either

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    It would certainly be interesting to discover that some European politicians who sniffed at allowing Ukraine into the European club because of concerns about corruption had their own rather interesting relationship with Russia.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    The photos with Simon Case & Sunak look to my mind like a "working lunch" (Daylight lighting, office apparel about). Sunak even looks 2 metres from big dog :D

The photos where it's only Boris unblurred... definite "party" vibes (Booze everywhere, people standing round, Boris giving it the big'un as he's walking through the door)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Time for his mps to act

Utter nonsense and I use comment pieces from across the media, largely from Sky and BBC

I am not tribal but do seek fairness
    🐄💩

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Luck?
  • Options

Are you sure? The ones i have seen just show orange and apple juice and a tray of sandwiches.

You've not seen the one of the PM raising a toast with a can of Estrella then?

My first thought was "Its a can of coke, no?" but its so blurred it could be a 330 ml Estrella.
    The journos seem to be saying it is Estrella.
  • Options

Are you sure? The ones i have seen just show orange and apple juice and a tray of sandwiches.

My first thought was "Its a can of coke, no?" but its so blurred it could be a 330 ml Estrella.
    I thought it was, too, at first, but it isn't. If you zoom in you can see the star:

And Coke hasn't been sold in packaging like this for a long time, if ever:

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

It's always hard to judge foreign politicians, but the problem with Scholz seems to be that he is simply a crap politician. Always saying the wrong thing, making blundering mis-statements, riling people up - even when he doesn't have to.
    But always in a way that Russia and Putin would nod approvingly towards.

• Options

As i said down thread i thought that was a can of coke, but it is a beer.

If this had been the extent of the rule breaking it would have been a massive nothing....which begs the question, how he got fined for this (and Sunak), but not the other events.
    You are not alone in this country asking that question 🤣 Unfortunately for Boris is the number of senior police officers asking the same question.

Expect the investigation reopened and Boris FPNs to increase
  • Options

I thought that was a can of coke. You are right. However, that really is the least bad of all of the photos, it doesn't look like a "party". As i said down thread, i think it is problematic for other reaons, if that is the bar for a fine, 10 people standing apart while.there are 4 cans of beers and a few sandwiches, all the other events surely should have been fines for Boris.

Sunak has got very unlucky here.

As an individual photo it's not a huge gotcha. But it does reveal the lies that have been told about that gathering.

My point has always been from the start arguing about the individual events, how many minutes Boris was here, how many cans of beers, etc are irreverent. He fostered a culture where there was widespread regular breaking of the rules, for that he should go.
    That is contrary to the findings of the report.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Armin Laschet was even worse.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    Leon said:

It's an informal, and really rather crappy working lunch, of supermarket sandwiches and readymade salads etc, with one man - the leader - trying to inspire his team by waving his Coke can in the air, because it's his birthday. That's it. That really is it

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    It doesn't need to be a party. It needs to be a gathering that is not reasonably necessary for work purposes. Which it self-evidently isn't.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Sandpit, Bottas is 1.57 for a top 6 finish. Given the chance of crashing or rain (or unlucky pit stop leading to traffic), that's too short for me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,250
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

They both have a deep history in East Politics.

This is the belief that Germany needs to a have a close and peaceful relationship with Russia. Post WWII, this became "we must pay nearly any price for this". It's a fundamental part, for those who believe in it, of The Never Again nature of Modern Germany.

To give up on we-must-have-peace-with-Russia, is for them, to renounce a part of their identity. To unmake Modern Germany and let lose the possibility of a return to the past.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

And yet you support Boris who’s tendency to say the wrong thing surpasses anyone and has caused all sorts of problems. It doesn’t add up.
    I've said about a thousand times now, that Boris has gravely disappointed in office, and should go (but he probably won't)

I also believe he could still win, but that's not a value judgement, just how I see it
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581

I thought that was a can of coke. You are right. However, that really is the least bad of all of the photos, it doesn't look like a "party". As i said down thread, i think it is problematic for other reaons, if that is the bar for a fine, 10 people standing apart while.there are 4 cans of beers and a few sandwiches, all the other events surely should have been fines for Boris.

Sunak has got very unlucky here.
    We obviously don't know the facts and the reason behind the fines and non fines, BUT on the face of it I agree Sunak seems very unlucky.
  • Options
    Poor Emma (literally) losing it.
  • Options

The text itself says 'small cans of beer'.

So, fair enough.
  • Options
    Starmer goes cost of living. Saving Gray until later.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Mr. Sandpit, Bottas is 1.57 for a top 6 finish. Given the chance of crashing or rain (or unlucky pit stop leading to traffic), that's too short for me.

Agreed. Should be closer to 2/1 than 1/2.
  • Options

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    It doesn't need to be a party. It needs to be a gathering that is not reasonably necessary for work purposes. Which it self-evidently isn't.
    Well it looks like everyone round the table is working and the PM is their boss so I think there is a strong case for saying it could be reasonably necessary for work. Is that the one he got fined for?
  • Options

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

This is the belief that Germany needs to a have a close and peaceful relationship with Russia. Post WWII, this became "we must pay nearly any price for this". It's a fundamental part, for those who believe in it, of The Never Again nature of Modern Germany.

To give up on we-must-have-peace-with-Russia, is for them, to renounce a part of their identity. To unmake Modern Germany and let lose the possibility of a return to the past.
    Indeed it is.
    It is interesting that the Union +SPD vote is hovering at 50% now.
    It's a generational thing.
    The post-Berlin Wall generation simply aren't buying it or voting for it.
  • Options
    "Fifteen tax rises and he pretends to be a low-tax government". Yep.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    It's clear from the evidence presented by Sue Gray that everyone at No. 10 knew the gatherings being organised were contrary to the regulations, and that the PM was not ignorant of what happened.

It's impossible for me not to conclude that he knowingly misled the House when he feigned outrage at learning of these gatherings, and insisted that all regulations had been followed.

If the House does not want Ministers of the Crown looting to it with impunity in future then they must insist on the resignation of the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    I’ve never seen Starmer in this sort of form before. He looks like the consummate politician on the way to number ten on this sort of performance. 😯
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    Those opposed to the government, have been for several months using language that might have suggested to the average person who doesn’t follow these things, that everyone was dancing on tables, throwing up in the plant pot and shagging in the toilet - that the Cabinet Office was turned into the Ministry of Sound for the PM’s birthday.
  • Options

"Fifteen tax rises and he pretends to be a low-tax government". Yep.

I look forward to Starmer promising to cut my taxes....
    Labour refuse to say they will abolish the NI increases if they win in 24
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Apparently when the MET decided not to investigate the Carrie party Sue Gray decided not to either

It's better than that: she decided not to investigate it when they decided they would, then when they decided they wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    Those opposed to the government, have been for several months using language that might have suggested to the average person who doesn’t follow these things, that everyone was dancing on tables, throwing up in the plant pot and shagging in the toilet - that the Cabinet Office was turned into the Ministry of Sound for the PM’s birthday.
    the frog-boiling comment from before seems more appropriate here.
  • Options
    The old “running our country down” remark from Boris when attacked on worst growth.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Ghastly Tory MPs rallying behind phatboi
  • Options
    I understand the notion of "lets list all we have done" as a political defence. But saying "we're bloody brilliant" as people really start to panic about paying for food and electricity seems beyond tone deaf.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,250
    edited May 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed it is.
    It is interesting that the Union +SPD vote is hovering at 50% now.
    It's a generational thing.
    The post-Berlin Wall generation simply aren't buying it or voting for it.
    Yes. The previous generation(s) believed that if they didn't follow a set of nostrums, Hitler & Co. would be back in 5 minutes.

Bit like this - https://youtu.be/z77JFw2D6f8?t=35

The younger generation(s) go, "I am a cosmopolitan European. Why should I worry about suddenly turning into a Nazi?"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    I don't think that is true. Everyone commented that it was the most minor event, hence surprise this got a fine and nothing else. Also the term 'ambushed by a cake ' implies the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Emma has lost.

Edit: badly.
  • Options
    He just said we are lifting Universal Credit, didn't he?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

The text itself says 'small cans of beer'.

So, fair enough.
    Definitely Estrella. One in Bozo's hand.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    Err, at least on pb, the people pointing out that it was about being essential for work purposes have consistently been critics of the PM, and the people conflating with parties his supporters to create doubt.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Emma has lost.

Edit: badly.

Getting a little bit ominous now. She might be a mayfly, burning bright for just one tournament
  • Options
    There is a strange silence on Tory benches as Bonzo tries to claim that its not 15 Tory tax rises but its actually him being absolutely brilliant and everyone feels well off.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    Interesting choice of colour for the outcomes by Smarkets: green for Johnson out, red for Johnson stays :smile:
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    51s
    If I was a Tory MP I’d be a lot more worried about the way Keir Starmer is taking Boris and the Government apart on tax and the economy than anything Sue Gray has to say…
  • Options
    Are the Tories behind Boris backing him in this gladiator duel. They are not nodding, making any noise, or even looking at Boris.

I wonder if they now thinking if they change leader they at least get this lame tune changed at PMQs to something fresh and more effective.
  • Options
    Mind you. He also said everyone gets their passport within 6 weeks too.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    I don't think that is true. Everyone commented that it was the most minor event, hence surprise this got a fine and nothing else. Also the term 'ambushed by a cake ' implies the same.
    It’s been leading the news on and off for six months now, all the stories of the PM, ministers and staff “Partying”.

Yet we see the photos, and it’s a group of colleagues around a boardroom table, with the boss standing up and saying thanks to everyone. They even had the photographer there, and it was reported in the Times the next day.

To those who have been following only the hyperbolic media and opposition outrage, it looks like a total damp squib.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    NEW: PM will personally apologise to security and cleaning staff at No10 for what they had to put up with.

He will also tell anyone who was rude to them or left a mess/sick to apologise in person too.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1529418646996586497
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    "Vladimir Corbyn"

My sides have split.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,375
    IshmaelZ said:

Ghastly Tory MPs rallying behind phatboi

What else can they do, without looking really stupid?

Waiting for the Met/Gray was always about procrastination not information.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100

It's clear from the evidence presented by Sue Gray that everyone at No. 10 knew the gatherings being organised were contrary to the regulations, and that the PM was not ignorant of what happened.

It's impossible for me not to conclude that he knowingly misled the House when he feigned outrage at learning of these gatherings, and insisted that all regulations had been followed.

If the House does not want Ministers of the Crown looting to it with impunity in future then they must insist on the resignation of the Prime Minister.

They couldn't give a toss.
  • Options
    Even silence on the Tory benches as Bonzo says "we got Brexit done". So he starts ranting...
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1m
    That was Boris’s worst PMQs performance for several months. Literally no comeback on the economy.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    dixiedean said:

My grandson waited 14 weeks for his passport and missed his skiing holiday in April.
  • Options

There is a strange silence on Tory benches as Bonzo tries to claim that its not 15 Tory tax rises but its actually him being absolutely brilliant and everyone feels well off.

Looking like the end of the road for Boris looking at the parliamentary faces 🤔
  • Options
    Don't know why Tory MPs are yelling 'more' at top of their voices, that was a fecking terrible performance from Johnson.

• Options

Even silence on the Tory benches as Bonzo says "we got Brexit done". So he starts ranting...

And they erupt as he concludes

I cannot see 180 of them voting him out at present
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

My grandson waited 14 weeks for his passport and missed his skiing holiday in April.
    But he got Brexit done.
  • Options

Looking like the end of the road for Boris looking at the parliamentary faces 🤔
    "I’m looking at the faces of Conservative MPs and they look like those of Burnley fans last Sunday…"

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1529421575421837313
  • Options

NEW: PM will personally apologise to security and cleaning staff at No10 for what they had to put up with.

He will also tell anyone who was rude to them or left a mess/sick to apologise in person too.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1529418646996586497

Mess and Sick? The country was in lockdown.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,922
    edited May 2022
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't
    It’s been leading the news on and off for six months now, all the stories of the PM, ministers and staff “Partying”.

Yet we see the photos, and it’s a group of colleagues around a boardroom table, with the boss standing up and saying thanks to everyone.
    Wilfs broken swing, suitcases of booze etc. The media overplayed it early hoping for the scalp and now we have photos showing a work meeting with booze, at a work location, the very thing Starmer said was beyond reproach.
    Boz should have gone over all this, the idiot media have saved him
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1m
    That was Boris’s worst PMQs performance for several months. Literally no comeback on the economy.

He doesn't understand economics. Nor makes any effort to.
    That's why he's always skint.
  • Options
    How dare they have these insane booze-soaked, coke and Ecstasy fuelled, pet-play hookers-on-trampolines midget sex Korean dwarf ice skating free love dope-on-motorbike orgies when the rest of us were….

Oh.

• Options
    Debouchery from the SNP

Best PMQs ever
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Barnesian said:

dixiedean said:

Irish ones come in two weeks.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I think that may have been an attempt to stop him digging.
  • Options

I can.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,668
    edited May 2022
    Applicant said:

I thought it was, too, at first, but it isn't. If you zoom in you can see the star:

There's a "substantial meal" on the table though. Sandwiches have been legally a "substantial meal" since 1955.

That's a lunch at work. How the f**k is that an illegal gathering?

Preposterous.

If that's it, that's a less damning photo than Starmer with his beer, but that shouldn't get a fine either.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How dare they have these insane booze-soaked, coke and Ecstasy fuelled, pet-play hookers-on-trampolines midget sex Korean dwarf ice skating free love dope-on-motorbike orgies when the rest of us were….

Oh.

I'm looking at the photos in the report, and all I can think is "why on earth was any of this ever illegal?"...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh.

Not even a cheeky Korma and Mary Foy doing high kicks.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Leon said:

Oh.

I'm looking at the photos in the report, and all I can think is "why on earth was any of this ever illegal?"...
    Thats what should get rid of them all
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh.

The funny thing is in these photos that were never meant to make it to the public is just how professional Boris looks compared to normal. His hair isn't scruffed up, he's wearing his suit properly, as he has lunch at work.

As has often been said before, Boris deliberately scruffs himself up before the cameras turn on when he's in public. In private, he actually looks somewhat presentable, which is the polar opposite of what you'd expect in a "party".
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Bunga Bunga it ain't

Yet we see the photos, and it’s a group of colleagues around a boardroom table, with the boss standing up and saying thanks to everyone. They even had the photographer there, and it was reported in the Times the next day.

To those who have been following only the hyperbolic media and opposition outrage, it looks like a total damp squib.
    All of it has been leading the news, not just cakegate. I even posted earlier today and before today that Sunak seems to have got a raw deal. Everyone thought this was the most minor incident. I don't know whether it was within the rules or not, but it appears to only become an issue because a birthday cake was present which seems silly. If this had been the only event all of this would have been a non issue. But it wasn't.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

Applicant said:

There's a "substantial meal" on the table though. Sandwiches have been legally a "substantial meal" since 1955.

Preposterous.

If that's it, that's a less damning photo than Starmer with his beer, but that shouldn't get a fine either.
    Keep spinning Bart. You want your idol to remain in place. No-one believes your protestations about no longer supporting him anymore than any of us believed your post yesterday about having an "employee" that you had to fire.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

Keep spinning Bart. You want your idol to remain in place. No-one believes your protestations about no longer supporting him anymore than any of us believed your post yesterday about having an "employee" that you had to fire.
    No one believed his posts yesterday about his employee?
  • Options

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

The police do not agree. Because the regulations at the time did not agree.

Sandwiches available for people who are working? Sure. But it wasn't lunch. "For the PM's birthday today we are having sandwiches and cake in the Cabinet room so do come along
    and wish the PM happy birthday."

It really doesn't matter what you think should have been "reasonably necessary for work purposes". This wasn't billed by the organisers as such and not deemed as such by the police who looked at it, nor accepted as such by the Cabinet Office looking at the detail.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

I don't give a shit what you think, you're a one-tracked obsessive who can't see past your European obsessions.

The rest of us are multidimensional and not as simplistic as you.

Yes Boris should go, and I've said why. I stand by that 100%. Not because he had lunch at work, and for the avoidance of any doubt I have always said that Starmer shouldn't go because he had dinner at work either, though he must feel uncomfortable given his hypocrisy on this issue.
  • Options
    Wragg throws a curveball.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

I did. Seemed like a perfectly rational action to take.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    RobD said:

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

It was a Walter Mitty post. He was having a funny five minutes. I wasn't the only person to notice the inconsistencies. Pretty odd really.
  • Options
    William Wragg. Jesus!!!!!!
  • Options

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

Sandwiches available for people who are working? Sure. But it wasn't lunch. "For the PM's birthday today we are having sandwiches and cake in the Cabinet room so do come along

It really doesn't matter what you think should have been "reasonably necessary for work purposes". This wasn't billed by the organisers as such and not deemed as such by the police who looked at it, nor accepted as such by the Cabinet Office looking at the detail.
    It really does matter. If this was illegal, then everyone responsible for the regulations that made it illegal should go, because they were preposterous.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Wragg throws a curveball.

William Wragg. Jesus!!!!!!

And for the benefit of those of us who can't watch/listen?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    “We seem to have got away with it”
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Preposterous.

It really does matter. If this was illegal, then everyone responsible for the regulations that made it illegal should go, because they were preposterous.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

If that was the rule then Boris should go because he made this a rule, far more than because he broke it.

What a preposterous and absurd rule. Utterly ridiculous and the buck stops with Boris, so that doesn't get him off, but its about having the right priorities. I prioritise our civil liberties higher than what specific food and drink Boris and Starmer chose to have at dinner time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Sandwiches have been legally a "substantial meal" since 1955.

If we ever doubt the wisdom of wasting vast amounts of the only lives we'll ever have on this site we just have to reflect on acumen of this calibre.
This discussion has been closed.