Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Macron set to win on Sunday – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561

JRM is an unthinking idiot. There's a vast array of jobs in the Civil Service; for some, attendance at the office is essential, for others, it's not - it depends on the precise role. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the changes brought about by the pandemic have increased productivity overall, and will also result in longer-term savings on office costs etc. as well.

For example, if you have a desk-based analytical job, you're likely to be more productive at home, avoiding office-based interruptions. I've a relation who's working on a major CS energy project - he reckons he gets 50% more work done at home than in the office (as well as the improvement in work-life balance by avoiding commuting). He goes in for face-to face meetings whenever necessary, maybe once a fortnight, with other business conducted remotely. I know that's anecdotal, but it's not untypical at all.

JRM is just a lightweight - pay him no mind!
    I know - my comment was aimed more at the PB pontificators sitting at home who think civil servants should be back in the office. But that would be discourteous, so I chose JRM as the target.
    JRM's been very busy, I'll have you know:

• Options
    Good evening PB.

I'm back playing cricket from next week, we've entered Last Man Stands
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Home Office staff have threatened a mutiny over Priti Patel’s plans to ship refugees to Rwanda, with one drawing comparisons to working for the Third Reich, it has emerged.

Home Office staff should do as they're told and paid for.
    Hopefully the Home Office is moved to Rwanda next; they'd probably do a better job.
    They can team up with the Danes. Those well-known right-wing extremists.
    You mean you expect the British Government to announce it will ship people to Rwanda, and then not actually do it?
    The British Government hasn't done anything with this idea yet. Much like the Danes.

Doesn't stop the usual whingeing and thoroughly predictable hand-wringing though.
    OK, so: thought experiment. Late January 1942, you get shown accurate and detailed minutes of the Wannsee Conference.

"The Nazis haven't done anything with this idea yet.

Doesn't stop the usual whingeing and thoroughly predictable hand-wringing though."

Adequate response?
    So you're comparing the proposed processing of asylum seekers in Rwanda to the Holocaust. Well once again you show yourself to be thoroughly level-headed and completely sane.
    My point was the more general one that it is possible to condemn a plan beore it has been put into execution.

But yes, on reflection, it is the most flagrant hyperbole to connect an episode of unimaginably horrific genocide, with little old Rwanda. What was I thinking?
    I don't know. What are you thinking? Very little it appears.
    I suspect that your problem (or rather one of them) is that you have no first hand idea of what the third world is actually like, because you have never been there. What it is, is third world. Really third world. You know the prison in Midnight Express? Same but more so.
    The Third World? I assume you mean "developing nations", after all we don't want to use disparaging terminology do we? You assume an awful lot, maybe because you have in your mind the idea that anyone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly have the obvious intellect and experience you do.

Perhaps Rwanda isn't the apparent hell-hole you assume it to be - maybe you've spent time living there recently and barely escaped with your life? Maybe I've lived there for a considerable time and found it a wonderful country. Maybe. But you have no idea do you?

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863

@MattChorley Really cheap shot by JRM. The man is in India.

https://twitter.com/andrewmaybin/status/1517591964170035203
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited April 2022
    Scott_xP said:

@MattChorley Really cheap shot by JRM. The man is in India.

https://twitter.com/andrewmaybin/status/1517591964170035203
    Could we persuade him to stay there?

Not that I have anything against India, you'll understand. I just don't want him anywhere near me.

Perhaps they could exchange him for some Russian weaponry, fulfilling all criteria?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

Russians using 110-year old ship to work on the Moskva wreck:

http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Navy-Moskva-Cruiser-Wreck.html

A vessel built for the Czar, was used by the communists, and now by the fascist Russian regime. Still in roughly the same role: salvage.

Is it the same ship, or is it like Trigger’s broom?
    This is a high-brow site. Ship of Theseus, if you please!
    Grandfather's axe. Which, like Triggers's Broom is a slightly different problem in scale from the Ship of Theseus.

• Options
    i weekend: Johnson fears ‘avalanche’ of fines as Tory unrest grows #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1517595873756200960/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Carnyx said:

On Boomers and NIMBYism, intergenerational unfairness and why the Conservatives are no longer the party of Thatcher: https://himbonomics.substack.com/p/-the-triumph-of-janet-?s=r

Thank you. Some absolutely fascinating graphs and diagrams there.

And for our PB Village Tory,

"This goes beyond mere equity. The party faces a fight for its survival as the boomer cohort passes on. In the long run, how can a party which stands for the preservation and low taxation of capital survive if later cohorts do not accumulate any capital?

Inheritance won’t save it. The average millennial is set to receive theirs in their mid-sixties - well beyond their fertile years, and well beyond when they might hope to build a foundation for their later life (Institute for Fiscal Studies, 2020). Leaving aside the distributive impact of inheritance (which is essentially untaxed), where the privileged are given a springboard well beyond necessity."
    It also ignores the fact most people are still on the property ladder, at least with a mortgage, by 39.

Yes fewer 20 and early 30 year olds own property and are voting Tory than in the early 1990s but more pensioners are voting Conservative and over 40s are still voting Tory. Hence the Tory majority in 2019 was bigger than in 1992
  • Options
    “If Boris Johnson goes soon, the next Prime Minister will be Ben Wallace the Defense Secretary”

@AndrewMarr9, @anoosh_c, and @freddiejh8 discuss partygate, Boris Johnson’s survival, and who the next Tory leader could be.

Watch here: https://youtu.be/Rxq-8kXYc1I https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1517594092468940800/video/1
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    algarkirk said:

Russians using 110-year old ship to work on the Moskva wreck:

http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Navy-Moskva-Cruiser-Wreck.html

A vessel built for the Czar, was used by the communists, and now by the fascist Russian regime. Still in roughly the same role: salvage.

Is it the same ship, or is it like Trigger’s broom?
    This is a high-brow site. Ship of Theseus, if you please!
    Grandfather's axe. Which, like Triggers's Broom is a slightly different problem in scale from the Ship of Theseus.

HMS Victory is getting a bit that way.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Slovenia votes on Sunday and we have the final Mediana poll out.

It puts Robert Golob's Svoboda movement just ahead of Janez Jansa's Slovenian Democratic Party. Other polls suggest a small lead for Jansa but either way it looks very close.

Mediana has Svoboda on 26.1% with SDS on 24.4% .

Perhaps encouraging for Golob, the Social Democrats are on 7.8% and the Left on 7.7% tied with the pro-Jansa Christian Democrats. Alenka Bratusek's Party also looks likely to be in the new National Assembly with 5.8%.

Jansa and his allies are on just 35.2% and from this distance it seems possible Golob could build a majority centrist coalition perhaps with the Social Democrats and the Bratusek list supported by the Left.

We'll see if this poll is anywhere near the truth on Sunday evening.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,493

Out for dinner again, and I’ve found another delicious meal. I had croquetas to start - one spinach, one chicken and one blue cheese. Next was “calamares embriagados”, or intoxicated squid - cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and loads of red wine. Now having stir fried cuttlefish with prawns, peas and mint.

Are you positive that "croquetas" are not "croaking tiny tortoises"? Best ask your waiter!
  • Options
    mwadams said:

JRM is an unthinking idiot. There's a vast array of jobs in the Civil Service; for some, attendance at the office is essential, for others, it's not - it depends on the precise role. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the changes brought about by the pandemic have increased productivity overall, and will also result in longer-term savings on office costs etc. as well.

For example, if you have a desk-based analytical job, you're likely to be more productive at home, avoiding office-based interruptions. I've a relation who's working on a major CS energy project - he reckons he gets 50% more work done at home than in the office (as well as the improvement in work-life balance by avoiding commuting). He goes in for face-to face meetings whenever necessary, maybe once a fortnight, with other business conducted remotely. I know that's anecdotal, but it's not untypical at all.

I know - my comment was aimed more at the PB pontificators sitting at home who think civil servants should be back in the office. But that would be discourteous, so I chose JRM as the target.

It is a breathtaking example of petty, juvenile, bullying. I hope the civil service union is all over it
    For one thing, it completely leapfrogs the management and disciplinary chain. Is Mr R-M to be seen to be making disciplinary insinuations without informing the line manager?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,308
    Scott_xP said:

i weekend: Johnson fears ‘avalanche’ of fines as Tory unrest grows #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1517595873756200960/photo/1

On the bright side, the national debt situation will improve.
  • Options

Out for dinner again, and I’ve found another delicious meal. I had croquetas to start - one spinach, one chicken and one blue cheese. Next was “calamares embriagados”, or intoxicated squid - cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and loads of red wine. Now having stir fried cuttlefish with prawns, peas and mint.

Are you positive that "croquetas" are not "croaking tiny tortoises"? Best ask your waiter!
    No, that'd be tortugas (as in Dry Tortugas islands).
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787

JRM is about 10 years out of date and just doesn't understand the modern world. Most employers have now moved on to remote and hybrid working. Employers that insist on presenteeism cannot retain staff. Civil service wages of £20-£30 k in London don't help. JRM would be a complete failure were he to be trying to manage a real business in the current climate.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

It is a breathtaking example of petty, juvenile, bullying. I hope the civil service union is all over it
    For one thing, it completely leapfrogs the management and disciplinary chain. Is Mr R-M to be seen to be making disciplinary insinuations without informing the line manager?
    Indeed, without consulting the line manager?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If the 4% decline in Tory voteshare in London on 2018 in that poll is replicated in a 4% swing to Labour via tactical voting, then Labour would gain Wandsworth and Barnet. However the Tories would hold Westminster

It's not easy to generalise given you have 32 Boroughs and as you know there are still pockets of Independent and Residents candidates taking on Conservative and Labour alike.

25% would be an awful result for the Conservatives and the party would likely end up below 500 in Councillor numbers. If the benchmark for Conservative success is holding Westminster the party is in a sorry plight in the capital and astonishing considering Shaun Bailey got 35% in the first round and the party got 32% when winning a national GE with an 80-seat majority.

I think we'll see more Conservative seat losses to the LDs, Greens (and Independents/Residents) than to Labour. It's also not inconceivable we could see some quite significant variations from Borough to Borough.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Home Office staff have threatened a mutiny over Priti Patel’s plans to ship refugees to Rwanda, with one drawing comparisons to working for the Third Reich, it has emerged.

Hopefully the Home Office is moved to Rwanda next; they'd probably do a better job.
    You mean you expect the British Government to announce it will ship people to Rwanda, and then not actually do it?
    The British Government hasn't done anything with this idea yet. Much like the Danes.

Doesn't stop the usual whingeing and thoroughly predictable hand-wringing though.
    OK, so: thought experiment. Late January 1942, you get shown accurate and detailed minutes of the Wannsee Conference.

Doesn't stop the usual whingeing and thoroughly predictable hand-wringing though."

Adequate response?
    So you're comparing the proposed processing of asylum seekers in Rwanda to the Holocaust. Well once again you show yourself to be thoroughly level-headed and completely sane.
    My point was the more general one that it is possible to condemn a plan beore it has been put into execution.

But yes, on reflection, it is the most flagrant hyperbole to connect an episode of unimaginably horrific genocide, with little old Rwanda. What was I thinking?
    I suspect that your problem (or rather one of them) is that you have no first hand idea of what the third world is actually like, because you have never been there. What it is, is third world. Really third world. You know the prison in Midnight Express? Same but more so.
    The Third World? I assume you mean "developing nations", after all we don't want to use disparaging terminology do we? You assume an awful lot, maybe because you have in your mind the idea that anyone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly have the obvious intellect and experience you do.

Perhaps Rwanda isn't the apparent hell-hole you assume it to be - maybe you've spent time living there recently and barely escaped with your life? Maybe I've lived there for a considerable time and found it a wonderful country. Maybe. But you have no idea do you?
    Actually, I do.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Adequate response?

Actually, I do.
    Sure you do. As do I.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    darkage said:

JRM is about 10 years out of date and just doesn't understand the modern world. Most employers have now moved on to remote and hybrid working. Employers that insist on presenteeism cannot retain staff. Civil service wages of £20-£30 k in London don't help. JRM would be a complete failure were he to be trying to manage a real business in the current climate.
    He's a total pratt. And 10 years is being generous, 50 or more is more realistic.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,493
    mwadams said:

Would be more personal IF he'd signed it.

Get points made re: working from home or otherwise out of the office, with which I mostly & broadly concur.

HOWEVER, while I should NOT be mistaken for a fan of JR-M think think that HE also has a point. And one that has demonstrated past appeal with large sections of voters across the UK (and elsewhere) regardless of party or ideology. Esp. IF by civil service you mean policy & administrative managers & staff, not teachers, public safety & similar.

Politically about the savviest thing I've ever heard of this Moog doing or saying. Probably due more to old-school spleen rather than with-it strategy. But there you are.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    darkage said:

But because he's the beneficiary of inherited wealth and privilege he's never had to succeed. He's a prime advert for getting rid of private schools and for taxing inheritance.
  • Options
    glw said:

darkage said:

He's a total pratt. And 10 years is being generous, 50 or more is more realistic.
    I would think JRM would consider anything after 1750 too modern, let alone 1950!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Ed Balls, No Balls.
  • Options

mwadams said:

Get points made re: working from home or otherwise out of the office, with which I mostly & broadly concur.

HOWEVER, while I should NOT be mistaken for a fan of JR-M think think that HE also has a point. And one that has demonstrated past appeal with large sections of voters across the UK (and elsewhere) regardless of party or ideology. Esp. IF by civil service you mean policy & administrative managers & staff, not teachers, public safety & similar.

Politically about the savviest thing I've ever heard of this Moog doing or saying. Probably due more to old-school spleen rather than with-it strategy. But there you are.
    I suspect the "large sections of voters" for whom this has an appeal include many long-since retired for whom the concept of being able to work from home is hard to fully comprehend.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BNHWalker/status/1517600736800088065

Workington man is becoming Labour man.

Goodbye Red Wall
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    mwadams said:

Rees-Mogg is unfit to hold office. I look forward to his removal from a Ministerial post.
  • Options
    Wandsworth Tories are clearly in trouble, they're campaigning as if they have something to lose, never seen anything like it
  • Options

Goodbye Red Wall

All very nice CHB, but we'll see in 2024 shall we? :smile:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206

I saw it on the map, but I wasn’t actually expecting to see it above the restaurant!

Barcelona was my last overseas trip, way back in October 2019. Didn't see that restaurant though :)
  • Options

Goodbye Red Wall

We'll see in a few weeks if the Tories lose Wandsworth
  • Options
    Dear Brexit Opportunity,

Sorry you were non-existent when I came looking for you.

Rt. Hon. Jacob Rees-Mogg M.P.

Minister for Brexit Opportunities and
    Government Efficiency
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Rees-Mogg is unfit to hold office. I look forward to his removal from a Ministerial post.

He has only known Parliamentary life on the Government side. it would be fascinating to see how much he enjoys lif on the Opposition benches with no influence or importance of any kind.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Goodbye Red Wall

Not really indicative of a General Election though? In two years? A lot can happen in two years. Someone may have found a personality for SKS by then, from some expedition in the deepest Congo - contained in a data-tape left by some mysterious alien race, in a cave or some-such. And once installed into the SKS positronic brain he may turn out to be a complete cretin. Much like now... :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Adequate response?

Actually, I do.
    Edit. Reply fail. see above.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Never mind pineapple pizza, the Swedes have come up with something better: ham and banana pizza.

Not so much Hawaiian as Bahamian ?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Adequate response?

Actually, I do.
    Sure you do. As do I.
    You have lived for for a considerable time in a sub Saharan country, you have found it "wonderful" for you, and have seen nothing to suggest that a penniless refugee in a prison would find a bit less wonderfulness in the situation than you?

give over, love. You're embarrassing yourself.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

mwadams said:

A couple of weeks ago, a group of civil servants of my acquaintance had to pitch up in the office on a Monday for some sort of team event. By the Friday all but one were off sick with Covid.

I think that is referred to as Common Mode Failure.

Organisations who insist on in person meetings for their entire senior leadership team are being bloody stupid.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206

Dear Brexit Opportunity,

Sorry you were non-existent when I came looking for you.

Rt. Hon. Jacob Rees-Mogg M.P.

Minister for Brexit Opportunities and
    Government Efficiency

Lightweight-honorable
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,630
    Nigelb said:

@francska1
    Russian state TV continues to be fixated on the UK

Last night the country's most popular channel suggested Boris Johnson's visit to India was an attempt to revive the British Empire's 19th century "Great Game" with Russia

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1517526419097763840

Do they not realise that both of us have been relegated from the Premier League ?
    Yes, they are making us look bloody graceful in acceptance by comparison.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

He might, perhaps, be able to connect the dots as to his presence and everyone wanting to be elsewhere?

And since when do we put a dot in MP?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

mwadams said:

I used to take comfort from that he was not actually a proper Cabinet Member, which must have wrankled with him, since he is obviously a man who enjoys status and he was really just the dogsbody to the Cabinet, but sadly he is now in it, even though he's merely a Minister of State.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He might, perhaps, be able to connect the dots as to his presence and everyone wanting to be elsewhere?

But not after Rt
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Never mind pineapple pizza, the Swedes have come up with something better: ham and banana pizza.

Not really. Bahamas = also rans, both overall and per caput

https://www.atlasbig.com/en-gb/countries-by-banana-production
  • Options

Goodbye Red Wall

Not really indicative of a General Election though? In two years? A lot can happen in two years. Someone may have found a personality for SKS by then, from some expedition in the deepest Congo - contained in a data-tape left by some mysterious alien race, in a cave or some-such. And once installed into the SKS positronic brain he may turn out to be a complete cretin. Much like now... :smile:
    'Uncharismatic and somewhat boring' might well prove to be more of a draw with voters than the the 'lazy, lying, villain' currently in No 10.
  • Options

Goodbye Red Wall

While good for Labour every MP in Wandsworth borough is already Labour.

More significant for Labour would be if they gained Barnet, as all 3 MPs in Barnet borough are Tories
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

Wandsworth Tories are clearly in trouble, they're campaigning as if they have something to lose, never seen anything like it

Tories need a shellacking.

Only way they will get the courage to rid themselves of the greased albatross now hanging around their necks.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Sir Humphrey may have taken it a tad too far when telling Hacker he was not there to run the department, but he was correct that it is not for a Minister to behave in such a way. He can and should knock senior heads together if they are doing a civil service go slow to frustrate politicians, but there are appropriate levels.

Gove is a minister who is known, even by those who dislike him, to get things done, and whilst he has annoyed many civil servants I wonder if he indulges in such petty power plays.

It's the sort of thing a child would come up with to demonstrate their power. I wonder if JRM the sort to tell bad jokes around underlings just for the pleasure of seeing them force themselves to laugh.
  • Options

Unfortunately he is not regarded as a lightweight by the PM, however.
  • Options
    You'd hope that maybe the Minister for Government Efficiency might see hybrid working as an opportunity to downsize and sell off some of HMG's rather valuable central London estate.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    kle4 said:

We used to put full stops after every initial, eg B.B.C. and M.P. as well as e.g.
  • Options

darkage said:

But because he's the beneficiary of inherited wealth and privilege he's never had to succeed. He's a prime advert for getting rid of private schools and for taxing inheritance.
    That is not really true, Rees Mogg worked in the City and set up his own fund management firm, Somerset Capital Management, which made him a multimillionaire in his own right.

One of his grandfather's worked as a dairyman and lorry driver, so not all his family ancestry was posh either
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

“If Boris Johnson goes soon, the next Prime Minister will be Ben Wallace the Defense Secretary”

@AndrewMarr9, @anoosh_c, and @freddiejh8 discuss partygate, Boris Johnson’s survival, and who the next Tory leader could be.

Watch here: https://youtu.be/Rxq-8kXYc1I https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1517594092468940800/video/1

for what it is worth, Hunt is now favourite on BF
  • Options

Works for me. My objection to pineapple pizza was never the principle, merely the particular combination.
  • Options
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

By people who do not know the Conservative membership
  • Options

kle4 said:

We used to put full stops after every initial, eg B.B.C. and M.P. as well as e.g.
    What a ghastly and inefficient time that must have been. He's all about efficiency, he can start with saving printer ink on unnecessary punctuation.
  • Options

No wonder they feel they need NATO protection.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Not really. Bahamas = also rans, both overall and per caput

https://www.atlasbig.com/en-gb/countries-by-banana-production
    Banana/Ham - Bahama.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

I expect he will be regarded as a lightweight by the new PM though. Limited shelf life.

Perhaps very limited....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Adequate response?

Actually, I do.
    You have lived for for a considerable time in a sub Saharan country, you have found it "wonderful" for you, and have seen nothing to suggest that a penniless refugee in a prison would find a bit less wonderfulness in the situation than you?

give over, love. You're embarrassing yourself.
    I'm not your love - despite what you may desire.

You're the one embarrassing yourself I'm afraid. As it happens I've been to Rwanda (and Uganda) on more than a couple of occasions - not that I really need to explain that to you. Rwanda is a wonderful country - I enjoyed my stays immensely. It's most likely safer than many areas of London.

I suppose what we're arguing about is whether an asylum seeker from wherever they may come from, seeking refuge from persecution or death, would feel safe in Rwanda. I'm sure they would! After all, they are seeking safety aren't they? Now Rwanda isn't as economically prosperous or as wealthy as the UK. That is granted. But asylum seekers aren't seeking economic advantage are they? They're after safety. Rwanda absolutely gives them that. So where's the problem? Unless you're saying of course that asylum seekers aren't really seeking safety, and that they're seeking economic betterment.

But hey! According to you, Rwanda's the new base of crypto-Nazi death camps sponsored by the UK government. So let's go with that. That makes you feel better and I'm all for that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Tories still lead Labour 38% to 33% in redwall seats and 49% to 23% in blue wall seats though (with the LDs on 17% in the latter).

So they have lost support but are still nowhere near 1997 nadir
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

That is not really true, Rees Mogg worked in the City and set up his own fund management firm, Somerset Capital Management, which made him a multimillionaire in his own right.

One of his grandfather's worked as a dairyman and lorry driver, so not all his family ancestry was posh either
    But by the tilme he was born his family was posh. Which is the relevant bit.

• Options
    Biden:

“this ain’t your father’s Republican Party”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Sir Humphrey may have taken it a tad too far when telling Hacker he was not there to run the department, but he was correct that it is not for a Minister to behave in such a way. He can and should knock senior heads together if they are doing a civil service go slow to frustrate politicians, but there are appropriate levels.

Gove is a minister who is known, even by those who dislike him, to get things done, and whilst he has annoyed many civil servants I wonder if he indulges in such petty power plays.

It's the sort of thing a child would come up with to demonstrate their power. I wonder if JRM the sort to tell bad jokes around underlings just for the pleasure of seeing them force themselves to laugh.
    That behaviour would be unfair if there was no malfeasance on the employee's part. And it would completely taint any proceedings in the case where the employee was being dismissed. The union lawyer would make absolute hay of it at the industrial tribunal. THere is such a thing as the rule of law.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What a ghastly and inefficient time that must have been. He's all about efficiency, he can start with saving printer ink on unnecessary punctuation.
    I'm surprised Mr Rees-Mogg isn't sending junior staff out to the Serpentine to catch geese to make the approved pens for civil servants.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

darkage said:

But by the tilme he was born his family was posh. Which is the relevant bit.

JRM got his City job (in Hong Kong) via his father's connections.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is the Moggster the only MP with as many children as Bozo?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Tories still lead Labour 38% to 33% in redwall seats and 49% to 23% in blue wall seats though (with the LDs on 17% in the latter).

So they have lost support but are still nowhere near 1997 nadir
    ...yet.
  • Options

That article @bondegezou posted upthread is fantastic (even if the prose is a bit silly in places).

Every PBer should read it.

https://himbonomics.substack.com/p/-the-triumph-of-janet-?s=r

Thoroughly agree. HYUFD in particular should read it and contemplate his future in the party. Or rather his party in the future.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Adequate response?

Up front I am not condoning Ishmeals use of The Holocaust as comparator, Its too insensitive to use The Holocaust like that. but let me explain to you my position on this Ozy. Because my position on Rwanda plan is the wisest and I urge you to back me.

In practice it needs to act as as deterrent, reduce, dramatically the amount of boat people heading illegally across channel to UK. Not a shred of evidence can be produced to show it will work.

So why are the Tories doing it? Because their record on this is abysmal, leaving them with no other political option but to try to divert attention away from an abysmal record. The Tories have been in since 2010. Boris and Patel in their posts two and half years, and their record on reducing crossings and battling the gangs and working with continental friends on this issue abysmal.

Secondly Here’s the kicker, The Tories have no plan to send migrants to Rwanda. The government does. If Boris and Patel fall out their jobs in next few months, the new Tory government I guarantee you 100% will drop this plan. Whatever part it plays on the Leadership hustings will be to help the losers lose. Why? How do I know this? Because in this weeks commons debate I watched live Patel gave us two massive take outs. Firstly UK government can never publish any finer details or costs because it will aid the criminal gangs. Secondly, women and children WILL be considered, but each case taken on its own merits.

Patel barely has 50% of her parliamentary party supporting this, because they havn’t seen a detail plan, so they fear it will be expensive, over administrative, many controversial bad headlines causing Tory Party reputation damage, and won’t ever work as much deterrent so a poor use of tax payers money. They also know it’s only suggested to cover up government failure to deal with this properly via cooperation with continental partners in crushing the gangs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

By people who do not know the Conservative membership
    The first question to ask is would he make the run-off this time. Would the MPs rather offer The Truss and Wallace to the members, for example?
  • Options
    "We'll reap the whirlwind on polling day", Steve Baker tells Telegraph tonight.

• Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kle4 said:

I knew someone at university who insisted that acronyms that were pronounced as words should be all capitals, like NATO - and ones pronounced as initials should have dots, like N.U.S.

Strange chap.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Isn't he? Remember that for Boris, everything is transactional. JRM's role, as a leading member of the ERG, is to shield Boris from accusations of backsliding over Brexit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

How would we ever know?
  • Options

kle4 said:

How would we ever know?
    Mogg did at least have his in wedlock with the same woman
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,065

What a twat.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Carnyx said:

That article @bondegezou posted upthread is fantastic (even if the prose is a bit silly in places).

Thoroughly agree. HYUFD in particular should read it and contemplate his future in the party. Or rather his party in the future.
    It is an article almost solely focused on under 35s. Yes fewer of them own a property than 30 years ago and vote Labour as a result but most over 40s still own property and still voted Conservative in 2019.

In 1997 the Tories even lost over 65s to Blair as well as every other age group. Yet the Tories win pensioners by a landslide even now
  • Options

Agreed. It's a very powerful article. Well worth a read.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Carnyx said:

I think HYUFD is beyond hope.
    He’s a fanatic.

But the broad audience of PB, which certainly trends middle aged and “soft c” conservative, should certainly read it and be enlightened.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm surprised Mr Rees-Mogg isn't sending junior staff out to the Serpentine to catch geese to make the approved pens for civil servants.
    I recall a scurrilous story (told to me by a very posh person) regarding a perversion involving geese and drawers slammed shut. I prefer to think of JRM sending his junior staff out for that purpose.
  • Options
    Novara London estimates:

Stats for Lefties
    @LeftieStats
    I estimate that the following councils would change hands:

🔴Barnet (Lab gain from Con)
    🔴Wandsworth (Lab gain from Con)

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1517568677348089863
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

How would we ever know?
    It wasn't Mogg's sprogs I was doubting tbh.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

kle4 said:

I knew someone at university who insisted that acronyms that were pronounced as words should be all capitals, like NATO - and ones pronounced as initials should have dots, like N.U.S.

Strange chap.
    What I find annoying is people who pronounce the initials for something when everyone else says it as a word.

GIIGNL being a case in point. One person would never say Gignil. Spelt it out. Every time.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    Jeezo, just watching footage of BJ on his Indian jaunt, he’s really putting the F into the FLSOJ. Is he now clinically obese?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

How would we ever know?
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

It is an article almost solely focused on under 35s. Yes fewer of them own a property than 30 years ago and vote Labour as a result but most over 40s still own property and still voted Conservative in 2019.

In 1997 the Tories even lost over 65s to Blair as well as every other age group. Yet the Tories win pensioners by a landslide even now
    The article is focused on the under 40s.
    Actually I think it could have focused on the under 45s without its conclusions changing.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

"We'll reap the whirlwind on polling day", Steve Baker tells Telegraph tonight.

What I don’t understand, the War in Ukraine is still the same war that blanketed our Print and TV media for a month, in fact it’s even more newsworthy now imo reporting has moved from speculating what was happening unseen, to the detail of hideous crimes of the Russian invasion, but all this Partygate and Boris under pressure stuff is getting all over the news again, as if our media is losing interest in the war. Why can’t media narratives stick to the weightier more important things, and show more balance in their reporting?

It’s like the old mainstream media feel they can decide for us what the main media narrative actually is?
  • Options

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

Strange chap.
    What I find annoying is people who pronounce the initials for something when everyone else says it as a word.

GIIGNL being a case in point. One person would never say Gignil. Spelt it out. Every time.
    You must have had a right gas in your meetings!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

How would we ever know?
    What a shocking comment

Two of my grandchildren were born to our son and his partner before they married 10 years later

You are a narrow minded bigot
  • Options
    The number of schoolchildren in Warsaw has gone up 40% as a result of the refugee influx.
  • Options

Jeezo, just watching footage of BJ on his Indian jaunt, he’s really putting the F into the FLSOJ. Is he now clinically obese?

Behave, it's all muscle.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

This is what Boris Johnson said of BYOB event:

“When I went out into that garden I thought that I was attending a work event.”

Reports that 30/40 people turned up, incl PM & wife Carrie who drank G&T & brought friends fr outside No 10, & there were tables laden w food & drinks.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1517539336614563847

If Carrie brought friends then it cannot possibly have been a work event as Johnson tells us.

Non-colleagues attendance must absolutely be the definition of a non-work event i.e. a social occassion.

Not that a work "event" existed at the time as a vehicle for having a party with colleagues. There was no such arrangement in the laws.

Lillico made an interesting point yesterday (based on Baker's speech): lockdowns went on far too long in part because those running the country were not actually effected by them so they had no idea how depressed and miserable people were becoming. They basically carried on as normal except the pub was closed.
    Theoretically you could have Carrie and her friends at one table and her husband and his employees at another & then you are having two separate events in a shared space?
    Like that happened.
    Almost certainly not.

Although I do recall from the balcony photo that Carrie & her friends were at a separate table with Boris
    Are you defining 'friends' as 'those at the table'? Bit circular.

IIRC there was at least one senior aide/civil servant at the table as well.
    I thought it was that mate of her from the cabinet office? But it was not something I’m interested in so quite possibly am wrong!
This discussion has been closed.