Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not good numbers for BoJo/CON ahead of the local elections – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2022 in General
Not good numbers for BoJo/CON ahead of the local elections – politicalbetting.com

NEW @JLPartnersPolls in today’s @thetimesWe asked a nationally representative sample of the British public what they think about Boris Johnson.Of all 2,000 responses, 72% were negative, with 16% positive. The words most commonly used are in the image below. (1/13) pic.twitter.com/9daOfkmcE3

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    First! - since Mike doesn't count.
  • Options
    "Muscly" doesn't feature then?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    This comment in the thread by Mr Johnson J is also highly germane to Mr Johnson B:

Overall, partygate dominates views of Boris over Ukraine.

Fury has not receded. Many negative comments are by people who liked him previously but have now changed their minds.

When Johnson first took power, only Labour voters would call him a liar. It is now widespread.

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1515936789055389701
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"Muscly" doesn't feature then?

Not high up, anyway; nor does 'scholar', 'learned', 'author' or 'classicist'.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    I wonder if the majority of people will think of Boris Johnson when casting their vote for their local Councillor? The opposition parties had better hope so as there are precious few positive reasons for voting for them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I wonder if the majority of people will think of Boris Johnson when casting their vote for their local Councillor? The opposition parties had better hope so as there are precious few positive reasons for voting for them.

Evidence suggests that yes, people do use local elections to give the national government a kicking.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Wow. That is an awful word cloud for Johnson.
  • Options
    The lack of a clear successor is what is keeping Boris in post currently, but once the May elections are out of the way, and especially if there are heavy losses, they may get around to looking for the assassin's knife. I am still of the view that Boris won't lead them into the next election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The lack of a clear successor is what is keeping Boris in post currently, but once the May elections are out of the way, and especially if there are heavy losses, they may get around to looking for the assassin's knife. I am still of the view that Boris won't lead them into the next election.

Heavy losses and several more FPNs...
  • Options

Did you see RP's comments yesterday about his local Tory local election candidate in Scotland? No mention of Mr J, none of the Tories either (I'm not sure if they were in the legal small print though). Similar transformation in my part from the nothing but Ruth Davidson Says No Surrender. It's all dog shite and potholes in blue. Bluekip pretending to be BlueLD.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

This comment in the thread by Mr Johnson J is also highly germane to Mr Johnson B:

Fury has not receded. Many negative comments are by people who liked him previously but have now changed their minds.

When Johnson first took power, only Labour voters would call him a liar. It is now widespread.

iirc an MP told the Times or Spectator, I forget which, that basically the back bench had rumbled him but their local tory constituency members still largely worshipped him, so no one wants to act as yet. They suspect that losing a ton of hard working councillors in their area may be what finally wakes them up.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

iirc an MP told the Times or Spectator, I forget which, that basically the back bench had rumbled him but their local tory constituency members still largely worshipped him, so no one wants to act as yet. They suspect that losing a ton of hard working councillors in their area may be what finally wakes them up.
    Doesn't surprise me. I can't easily explain Mr Ross's atrociously embarrassing U-turn on Mr J unless his local constituency party had threatened him with the red card the next time the issue of selection of candidates come up.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    edited April 2022
    Only about 35% of people bother to vote in local elections. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same views as what the opinion polls are showing, which I think are usually based on the much higher general election turnout of about 68%.
  • Options
    I see one of the responses was "utter anus”.

We'll put that down as a 'maybe' then?
  • Options

I see one of the responses was "utter anus”.

We'll put that down as a 'maybe' then?

Appropriately classical, mind. Someone with a sense of humour.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Heavy losses and several more FPNs...
    If only someone had taken a photo of Johnson at the party table surrounded by booze bottles with his sweaty hands grasped around a pint glass shouting 'cheers all'...

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    How is 'fit' in the word cloud?

Unless someone said 'Not fit for office'.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Andy_JS said:

Only about 35% of people bother to vote in local elections. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same views as what the opinion polls are showing, which I think are usually based on the much higher general election turnout of about 68%.

Local election turnout is higher in Scotland (47% in 2017) with 60%+ turnouts in affluent areas which I why I expect the Scottish Conservative vote to hold up better than expected and only suffer any significant seats damage on a few councils like Edinburgh.

I can see an extremely low turnout in England overall like in 2012, maybe even 30%. Turnout in London might be better and I'm not assuming Barnet or even Wandsworth will be a slam dunk for Labour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    RobD said:

Evidence suggests that yes, people do use local elections to give the national government a kicking.
    I think that it is more differential turnout. Disillusioned supporters can't be bothered whilst angry opponents want to send a message. Of course given the low level of turnout at local elections anyway these factors can be enhanced. The Tories face a bloodbath unless the mood changes markedly.
  • Options

How deliciously ironic that all the Blair-haters used to refer to him as "B-Liar". Compared to Johnson, Blair looks like "Honest Tony"...

I hope the Tories take a kicking, both for electing that toerag and for their spineless complicity in keeping him in No.10

Blair lied about far more important stuff than Boris whose lies are often stupid and easily found out. But anyone who concluded that Blair was "a pretty straight kind of guy" is totally delusional. He simply wasn't.
  • Options
    My favourite bit from this polling

“At first I really liked him and felt he would be good for the country, but now he has been in power he has been one of the worst prime ministers ever… he is so out of touch and has no idea how the majority of people live their lives.”

“Utter anus”

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1515936776556265475?s=21&t=TqBtqUarXkFyEiTF9Qy16A
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    DavidL said:

How deliciously ironic that all the Blair-haters used to refer to him as "B-Liar". Compared to Johnson, Blair looks like "Honest Tony"...

I hope the Tories take a kicking, both for electing that toerag and for their spineless complicity in keeping him in No.10

Blair lied about far more important stuff than Boris whose lies are often stupid and easily found out. But anyone who concluded that Blair was "a pretty straight kind of guy" is totally delusional. He simply wasn't.
    I never liked Blair in the slightest, not did I trust him, but to pretend that Boris is in some way superior to Blair is simply...... oh wait! You are a Tory! I forgot :open_mouth:

I presume "My party right or wrong..." applies here?
  • Options

There is a lone "likeable" down at the bottom....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

My favourite bit from this polling

“At first I really liked him and felt he would be good for the country, but now he has been in power he has been one of the worst prime ministers ever… he is so out of touch and has no idea how the majority of people live their lives.”

“Utter anus”

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1515936776556265475?s=21&t=TqBtqUarXkFyEiTF9Qy16A

Disappointed "wazzock" wasn't in there. Not sure the pollster really got to the Red Wall at all....
  • Options

DavidL said:

I never liked Blair in the slightest, not did I trust him, but to pretend that Boris is in some way superior to Blair is simply...... oh wait! You are a Tory! I forgot :open_mouth:

I didn't say that. You, on the other hand, said the opposite.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

I'm even looking forward to it. :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I did not say that Blair was "a pretty straight kind of guy"

So now that we have got out all the denials of what we did not say, can we at least agree that Johnson is a carbuncle on the face of politics whose removal is long overdue?
  • Options
    Blair is the best PM of the last thirty years, at least he did good things.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

They must have asked a particular ex prolific PB poster. Just surprised that muscular is not on there too.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I did not say that Blair was "a pretty straight kind of guy"

So now that we have got out all the denials of what we did not say, can we at least agree that Johnson is a carbuncle on the face of politics whose removal is long overdue?
    You called him "Honest Tony", which is what I took objection to. But yes, in my view Boris should have resigned or been removed for lying to Parliament. It was and is unacceptable.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    RobD said:

Indeed, it's often easier to give the government a kicking in the locals than at the General.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Andy_JS said:

Yes: opponents of the government are usually more motivated to vote.

And it's also easy to forget just how bad things can be for incumbent governments. The Conservatives ran precious free councils outright in 1996.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Indeed, it's often easier to give the government a kicking in the locals than at the General.
    But easiest of all was the EU elections! 😉
  • Options
    Just for TSE: Wifey is spending her Easter Monday afternoon on a Zoom call with the the Hemsworth boys...
  • Options

Yes, just ask any Iraqi.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited April 2022

Just for TSE: Wifey is spending her Easter Monday afternoon on a Zoom call with the the Hemsworth boys...

I’ve met Chris, this was the sign around my then other half.

• Options

Extend thirty to forty, though, and Blair doesn't get a look in. Blair did stuff to try to stay liked, whilst getting things horribly wrong - Iraq, constitutional reform. Maggie did the really hard, transformational stuff where you did it regardless.

If you could overlook Brexit, Cameron v Blair would be a decent match up. But...you can't overlook Brexit.
  • Options
    Anyway, the battery is about charged up, another lawn beckons....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2022
    On top of Iraq, Blair had perfect economy conditions and a massive majority to enact real positive changes. What he achieved was underwhelmingly given that. Also remember that lots of things the large hospital and school building was all mortgaged on terrible PFI contracts, so that wasn't even been paid for out the current taxation and tied public sector into terrible deals.

Has any recent PM got in under such conditions?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

And it's also easy to forget just how bad things can be for incumbent governments. The Conservatives ran precious free councils outright in 1996.
    Labour had a 14% lead in the 1996 local elections. However bad it gets for the Tories this year, I doubt it will get bad
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Labour had a 14% lead in the 1996 local elections. However bad it gets for the Tories this year, I doubt it will get bad
    If inflation stays at the current levels for very long they will.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2022
    Con MPs have made their decision - They will go down with Boris’s ship.

They’ve been in power too long and have become stale, lazy and out of ideas.

While it’s foolish to predict a GE this far out, I think SKS will get a decent workable majority.

Con MPs only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    mwadams said:

I hated Blair. I thought he was a twister and a bit of a con artist.

But at no point did I doubt that he was basically trying to do his best for the country as a whole while also doing whatever he could to keep the Tories out of power. (Which frequently meant compromising Labour principles where electorally convenient; so not a "man of principle" - more of a pragmatist.)

He also dissembled about his religious conviction which set off more alarm bells.

On the other hand...

Not for a second do I think the charlatans in the cabinet now are doing anything for the benefit of the country as a whole. Indeed they betray no evidence of understanding what that might even mean. It is a shame on all of us.
    I think Blair would have a better legacy despite Iraq if he'd stood down in 2005. He really debased himself in the past two years and what he's done after leaving office. I think it's bad that certain 'centrists' argue were not allowed to scrutinise/criticise not even for his immoral post PM behaviour which is in contrast to Brown.

I'm hoping if Starmer becomes PM we will be able to criticise Blair in the same way SPD supporters and even senior electoral representatives are now allowed to attack Schröder.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

They must have asked a particular ex prolific PB poster. Just surprised that muscular is not on there too.
    Me too. All of Philip's work in vain. Pleased for his sake he retired before having to see this.
  • Options
    Utterly deluded and bonkers...

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko
    New article from Karaganov. Synopsis: The West is falling apart. We should cannibalise Ukraine. Nuclear war is definitely a possibility. Europe is doomed. We'll build a new world, together with China and India. We are heterosexuals. https://globalaffairs.ru/articles/protiv-nas-bolshoj-zapad/.

https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1516000270592970755
  • Options

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko
    New article from Karaganov. Synopsis: The West is falling apart. We should cannibalise Ukraine. Nuclear war is definitely a possibility. Europe is doomed. We'll build a new world, together with China and India. We are heterosexuals. https://globalaffairs.ru/articles/protiv-nas-bolshoj-zapad/.

Ukraine War: Putin says sanctions have hurt Western countries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQjcxoGgg4
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    One of the things against Jeremy Corbyn in 2019 was the feeling he was "not on our side"; that he was more interested in the plight of Palestinians and Venezuelans than the voter on the Clapham omnibus.

Boris was "on our side". Until now. Partygate has shown Boris is on Boris's side. I'm not sure how he can get that back.
  • Options

Extend thirty to forty, though, and Blair doesn't get a look in. Blair did stuff to try to stay liked, whilst getting things horribly wrong - Iraq, constitutional reform. Maggie did the really hard, transformational stuff where you did it regardless.

If you could overlook Brexit, Cameron v Blair would be a decent match up. But...you can't overlook Brexit.
    So Cameron wins for you since he enabled the blessed Brexit?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Putin is right. Sanctions have hurt Western countries.
  • Options
    Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    1h
    The interesting kicker in all this, is that this was, I think, one of the only ways to criticise Stalin’s rule from within the USSR. You would have to describe the horrible behaviours of other nations, when actually you meant the USSR itself.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1516035988652535809
  • Options
    mwadams said:

But at no point did I doubt that he was basically trying to do his best for the country as a whole while also doing whatever he could to keep the Tories out of power. (Which frequently meant compromising Labour principles where electorally convenient; so not a "man of principle" - more of a pragmatist.)

He also dissembled about his religious conviction which set off more alarm bells.

On the other hand...

Not for a second do I think the charlatans in the cabinet now are doing anything for the benefit of the country as a whole. Indeed they betray no evidence of understanding what that might even mean. It is a shame on all of us.
    I'm cutting slack for 2019 because of Brexit and Jezza but it will reflect terribly on us if we don't correct things in 2024.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Every day that Boris Johnson remains tarnishes his party and the office of the Prime-Minister.
    Removing him is not only the ethical thing for Conservative MPs to do.
    It is also profoundly in their long-term interest.

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1516054899619991563
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has been told his Downing Street office has been targeted with “multiple” suspected infections using Pegasus, the sophisticated hacking software made by Israel’s NSO group, which can turn your phone into a remote listening device, it was claimed on Monday.

A report, released by Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto on Monday, said it believed that No 10 had fallen prey to a spyware attack in 2020 and 2021, with the United Arab Emirates being the suspected orchestrator.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/18/no-10-suspected-of-being-target-of-nso-spyware-attack-boris-johnson
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    DavidL said:

A lot straighter than Boris , even if a lying toerag
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited April 2022

Boris Johnson has been told his Downing Street office has been targeted with “multiple” suspected infections using Pegasus, the sophisticated hacking software made by Israel’s NSO group, which can turn your phone into a remote listening device, it was claimed on Monday.

Carrie getting suspicious?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Tony Blair is calling for 70 per cent of young people to go onto higher education to help tackle Britain’s productivity crisis.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/seven-in-ten-teenagers-should-go-to-university-tony-blair-declares-wpqjb6j2x
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

Tony Baloney is another one I heard from a man of Irish extraction. Then there was Phony Blair.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    ping said:

Con MPs have made their decision - They will go down with Boris’s ship.

They’ve been in power too long and have become stale, lazy and out of ideas.

While it’s foolish to predict a GE this far out, I think SKS will get a decent workable majority.

Con MPs only have themselves to blame.

I'm not confident that they have made that decision or that if they have then that they won't reverse it.
  • Options

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

I'm somewhat surprised that the notion is even a contentious one. We are hurting ourselves to hurt Putin's Russia. To what degree you believe that this is a good idea depends on your perspective.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The Tories will do better than expected I think. Identity politics innit
  • Options

Tony Blair is calling for 70 per cent of young people to go onto higher education to help tackle Britain’s productivity crisis.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/seven-in-ten-teenagers-should-go-to-university-tony-blair-declares-wpqjb6j2x

This message was brought to you by someone making a mint from the student racket and paying Tony a fat consultancy fee.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited April 2022
    Good afternoon

I have been very busy and not posted much recently but I have this deep seated desire to see Boris leave office

I prided myself when I ran my business of always seeking the highest standards of honesty and integrity, something that is an anathema to Boris and the idea he can appear in the HOC and explain away partygate is deeply disturbing, unless his speech concludes with his resignation

I cannot start to imagine how his mps and local councillor candidates can face the public while he continues in office, and I hope they receive a catastrophic may election result

His mps have to decide on their integrity and they will only uphold it by voting him out of office

I am grateful that Boris got brexit done, but it is in urgent need of an overhaul with a much closer mutually beneficial agreement on defence, security and trade

On the whole he managed covid reasonably and certainly opened the economy against Starmer, Sturgeon and Drakeford's wishes and at least mitigated some of the economic and social damage lockdowns cause

He has also done well with Ukraine, but the idea he cannot be replaced is a nonsense as nobody is irreplaceable

I have no fear if Starmer becomes PM, and ironically it would be more than interesting to watch just how he performs when he has to take hard decisions on many issues and most of all public sector pay
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Tony Baloney is another one I heard from a man of Irish extraction. Then there was Phony Blair.
    Tory B Liar was another, oh so funny, one.
  • Options

The Tories will do better than expected I think. Identity politics innit

That all depends against whose level of expectations it is set against.

As always there is expectations management that goes on.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Tony Blair still driving the far right mad, 15 years after leaving office.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I voted Labour and campaigned for Labour during Blair's leadership having been a long-time party member albeit with evolving beliefs.

I thought Blair a brilliant politician but rationally I could see that things were going to end in tears. I thought he was American style cheesy (rolled up sleeves party speeches). The Fall was signalled early - Bernie Ecclestone. New Labour gave us an optimistic time even thought there was an underlying strand of authoritarianism closer a times to a benign(-ish) corporate state.

Blair overdosed on hubris so doctoring dossiers to prove what he knew to be true was no sin in his own eyes. He was a strategic liar. Boris in contrast is an opportunist who fibs frequently almost from habit and has slipped ever upwards till meeting his nemesis, he is a tactical liar.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Zanu-new-lie-bore!!!!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Alistair said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Thank goodness he is speaking out against woke cancel culture.
    Have Karaganov and Leon been seen in the same room?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nothing compared to what he does to the Left!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2022
    Alistair said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Lol

I’ve noticed the anti-woke brigade have dialled down their outrage recently.

It’s all a bit awkward for them.

Perhaps our free, liberal, open and tolerant society isn’t that bad? And that chicks with dicks don’t lead to the downfall of civilisation, after all?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

Farooq said:

The centrists are also quite livid. It's a heady brew.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Them too. Delicious.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Zanu-new-lie-bore!!!!

Oh, god, I had forgotten how tedious all that was. And I hated the man.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Zanu-new-lie-bore!!!!

And it was often spelled "nu" just for added dickery.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carrie getting suspicious?
    Or did Boris just leave his phone on after a call to Naftali Bennett?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited April 2022

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Yes, of course they’ve hurt Western countries. Weaning your continent off Russian gas and oil is going to be difficult, but it still needs to be done.

But they’ve really f****d Russia, hard and with no lube.

Anecdotal evidence - the Russian aunts of my wife, who a month ago were asking about the Nazis in Ukraine, are now slowly coming around to the idea that they might be the bad guys in all of this. The sanctions are starting to be noticed outside the major metro areas, into the towns where Putinism has ruled for two decades.
  • Options

@dpatrikarakos
    #Ukraine security expert tells me of a recent convo with an Italian journo.

Italian: “So, to make peace with #Russia, what will you give them?”
    UA: “What do you mean?”
    Italian: “Well, you’ll have to give them territory of course!”
    UA: “Hmmm, yes, ok. We’ll give them Lake Como.”

https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1516021964414271494

The chances of such a deal working Veniced when Putin invaded. Who would trust him now? He really is Hitler after the annexation of Czechoslovakia.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Zanu-new-lie-bore!!!!

I’d forgotten that one 😂😂😂😂
  • Options

@dpatrikarakos
    #Ukraine security expert tells me of a recent convo with an Italian journo.

Italian: “So, to make peace with #Russia, what will you give them?”
    UA: “What do you mean?”
    Italian: “Well, you’ll have to give them territory of course!”
    UA: “Hmmm, yes, ok. We’ll give them Lake Como.”

https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1516021964414271494

I think he'll find they probably already own most of that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Yes, of course they’ve hurt Western countries. Weaning your continent off Russian gas and oil is going to be difficult, but it still needs to be done.

Anecdotal evidence - the Russian aunts of my wife, who a month ago were asking about the Nazis in Ukraine, are now slowly coming around to the idea that they might be the bad guys in all of this. The sanctions are starting to be noticed outside the major metro areas, into the towns where Putinism has ruled for two decades.
    'Are we the Baddies?'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
  • Options

Tony baloney stole a pony.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

'Are we the Baddies?'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
    Without even clicking on it, I know that’s the Mitchell and Webb sketch about the Nazis fighting the… Russians.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm trying to think this through. He presumably thinks too many people are currently in the workforce to allow higher productivity. If we exclude most young people from the workforce those still left in it will have to work harder and be more productive?

He surely cannot believe that tertiary education does anything much for our productivity outside STEM and the professions? Surely that theory has been tested to death by now.
    Is it the classic problem of aging politicians - fighting the last war, doubling down on policies they had then that haven't quite worked out how they'd hoped... One more push...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'm trying to think this through. He presumably thinks too many people are currently in the workforce to allow higher productivity. If we exclude most young people from the workforce those still left in it will have to work harder and be more productive?

He surely cannot believe that tertiary education does anything much for our productivity outside STEM and the professions? Surely that theory has been tested to death by now.
    Blair is diametrically wrong, again. The last thing the country should be doing, is encouraging more young people to get £50k into debt studying something worthless.

If I had an 18 year old, I’d be either telling them to learn a trade, or to get a white-collar apprenticeship that might result in a sponsored degree a few years down the line.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Higher education is not necessarily a university (I know, I know, what happened to the polys). Is Mr Blair including practical trade and tech courses, apprenticeships, etc. in HE? I can't read the article. But the headline conflicts with the visible text.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781

mwadams said:

On the other hand...

I think Blair would have a better legacy despite Iraq if he'd stood down in 2005. He really debased himself in the past two years and what he's done after leaving office. I think it's bad that certain 'centrists' argue were not allowed to scrutinise/criticise not even for his immoral post PM behaviour which is in contrast to Brown.

I'm hoping if Starmer becomes PM we will be able to criticise Blair in the same way SPD supporters and even senior electoral representatives are now allowed to attack Schröder.
    Am I misreading this? Surely the starting point in a discussion about Blair is the presumption that most people hate him and he is electorally toxic. He's surely the most unpopular living PM. My experience is that even those who think he has great political gifts would rather he exercise them in secret. Indeed, many would discount what he has to say simply because of the man saying it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Higher education is not necessarily a university (I know, I know, what happened to the polys). Is Mr Blair including practical trade and tech courses, apprenticeships, etc. in HE? I can't read the article. But the headline conflicts with the visible text.
    I can't either. But he still seems to believe that attending some bog standard University and "learning" a subject with little practical benefit for 3 or more years at great personal cost acttually improves your transferrable skills. I don't.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Boy, he's really keen to assert his lack of homosexuality.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    ping said:

Alistair said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Lol

Perhaps our free, liberal, open and tolerant society isn’t that bad? And that chicks with dicks don’t lead to the downfall of civilisation, after all?
    Ping, you are having a laugh, we are in a helluva state just now , with fcukwits everywhere and loonies running the asylum. UK at present is a banana republic.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    DavidL said:

Will be interesting to see what he counts as higher education. It would make zero sense if he means traditional 3-4 year degrees, could be interesting if it is a mix of much shorter courses and ongoing lifetime training.

I would think 35-45% going to traditional degrees and another 25-35% doing further learning post 18, a mix of apprenticeships, part time or intensive courses over months rather than years, would be a good balance for the country.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ping said:

Alistair said:

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

Lol

Ping, you are having a laugh, we are in a helluva state just now , with fcukwits everywhere and loonies running the asylum. UK at present is a banana republic.
    Banana Kingdom!
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

mwadams said:

On the other hand...

Am I misreading this? Surely the starting point in a discussion about Blair is the presumption that most people hate him and he is electorally toxic. He's surely the most unpopular living PM. My experience is that even those who think he has great political gifts would rather he exercise them in secret. Indeed, many would discount what he has to say simply because of the man saying it.
    I think the problem is that lots of people *really* hated the Tories in 1997 and saw Blair as young, charismatic and a canvas on which they could project their hopes and dreams.

This was supported by the massive debt/house-price maintained economic bubble.

The unspoken secret was that, although massively outpolling the hated Tories, Labour still weren't attracting historically large numbers of votes for their historically large victories.

So in retrospect, the disappointment, decay, and disillusionment were deeper and faster than you'd have expected for such a very successful politician.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

‘Tested to death’ sounds like children going through the current exam system after Cummings had finished with it.
  • Options

Sergey Radchenko
    @DrRadchenko

I'm somewhat surprised that the notion is even a contentious one. We are hurting ourselves to hurt Putin's Russia. To what degree you believe that this is a good idea depends on your perspective.
    A surprising number of politicians in the West can pretend they can oppose Russia without any pain (those outside the West don't care one way or another it seems). Whether that is because they personally do not think any pain should be accepted, or because they think their voting public won't accept any pain in reality (versus in theory), I am less clear on.
This discussion has been closed.