Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

France: How the next President market is moving – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2022 in General
imageFrance: How the next President market is moving – politicalbetting.com

For all the poll movements and questions over Macron he is still leading in all the surveys and UK punters still rate him very highly. But the 93%+ betting chances of a month ago have passed and he is now an 81% punt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Don't panic Captain Mainwaring, I mean Leon...

New XE variant found in UK and early data suggests it's 9.8% more transmissible
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Rishi's star falls further as he donates £100, 000 to Winchester School

He has astonished me and Boris needs to move him on

So out of touch

"The donations fund bursaries for children whose parents would not otherwise be able to send them there."

I would have thought as a Conservative leaning voter you would be board with rich people donating so those fortunate can have access to top level education?
    Some conservatives believe in improving education for the masses rather than the minority.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

So out of touch

"The donations fund bursaries for children whose parents would not otherwise be able to send them there."

I would have thought as a Conservative leaning voter you would be board with rich people donating so those fortunate can have access to top level education?
    Optics! It's all about the optics!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited April 2022
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

So out of touch

What is wrong with that? Winchester is his old school, a top seat of learning and provides scholarships and bursaries the donation will help fund.

It is his money

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sky-news-tories-b992638.html
    Objectively, it's commendable. Yet it is focussed very much on buttressing the private education system.

Subjectively, it's a disaster, as it reminds the rest of the UK just how much money the Chancellor has to spare. (And how much tax relief was involved, too?)

Edit: that last point concerns the amount of tax moneys effectively taken out of the Exchequer and diverted to the private purposes of this, or indeed, any donor.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Think the thing that has been established recently is that it will be Le Pen v Macron.
    A replay.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    'aint gonna be any kind of peace deal any time soon...

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews
    how Ukraine could negotiate with Russia's Vladimir Putin given the atrocities allegedly committed by his forces, the Ukrainian interior minister said, speaking in English: “Go to hell.”

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

What is wrong with that? Winchester is his old school, a top seat of learning and provides scholarships and bursaries the donation will help fund.

It is his money

Objectively, it's commendable. Yet it is focussed very much on buttressing the private education system.

Subjectively, it's a disaster, as it reminds the rest of the UK just how much money the Chancellor has to spare. (And how much tax relief was involved, too?)

Edit: that last point concerns the amount of tax moneys effectively taken out of the Exchequer and diverted to the private purposes of this, or indeed, any donor.
    Better he spends it on this than 5 star Holidays to the Caribbean and Maldives, Michelin starred meals etc which he easily could.

Voters who are ideologically opposed to private education generally don't vote Tory anyway
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Worth noting he's worth c £500 m.
    So. The equivalent of someone worth £50 k bunging a tenner to his old school.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Think the thing that has been established recently is that it will be Le Pen v Macron.
    A replay.

Macron still likely wins but closer than 2017
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Worth noting he's worth c £500 m.
    So. The equivalent of someone worth £50 k bunging a tenner to his old school.
    Indeed, which reminds those struggling this year even more how wealthy he is.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Being a cynical guy I am maybe sunak wants to put about a bit how loaded he is. Lost a few allies with his rubbish budgets but as we all now wealth brings friends
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?
    Donating money to a cause depends on the worthiness of that cause. Private schools are engines for concentrating the quality of services and delivering them mostly to those who can pay.

Yes, I know that bursaries exist and the poor but brilliant gold ticket winner can get in, but it's still a system of intentional and intense stratification that benefits the extremely wealthy. It obviously right up HYUFD's street but if you asked me (I know, I know) I could find much better things to do with a spare £100k.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    TimS said:

FPT:

Russia is incredibly good at winding up and infuriating people like me who watch them aghast as they spout the usual complete lies, with a half smirk. But ultimately we all know know they will lose in just about every way. Even if they somehow manage to occupy Ukraine and then march on Moldova and the Baltics, they will end up losing in the ways that matter.

The trouble is we know they will aim to drag as many people down with them as possible. In that way they remind me of my sister in law's controlling ex-husband who she ended up leaving after a domestic violence episode. The similarities are there both before the incident and afterwards. For years below we could see the warning signs, the erratic and controlling behaviour, though when it happened there was still a feeling of shock. But afterwards he didn't let up - he made false accusations to the police, tried every trick in the book through the courts, vexatious anonymous referrals to social services.

Each time things got harder for him, but he kept going. He lost any share of child custody, then was eventually denied contact, then had a restraining order slapped on him, and finally lost the vast majority of the joint assets after trying to hide sources of income from the court. He lost completely and comprehensively. And again a few years later after abusing his next unfortunate wife. Yet he still managed to drag his ex through about 6 or 7 years of hell on earth on the way down, which she is only just recovering from.

Putin is an abusive ex who's essentially said to Ukraine, if I can't have you then I'm going to make sure nobody else will want you.

Yep. He's throwing acid in its face.
  • Options

So out of touch

The problem is that it adds to the narrative that he ignored those in need in his widely criticised budget then gives £100,000 to a private school
  • Options
    Hundred News....

But a number of other international players have not been signed. David Warner, Aaron Finch, Chris Gayle and Babar Azam are among those to have missed out.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/60982426

How does nobody sign Babar Azam....
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    Funnily enough though I have not been a fan of Sunak's period as Chancellor I thought his funding of bursaries to Whinchester was a commendable thing to do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

A replay.

Yeah. That's my read too. The 50% who won't vote Le Pen under any circumstances will do for her I think.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Better he spends it on this than 5 star Holidays to the Caribbean and Maldives, Michelin starred meals etc which he easily could.

Voters who are ideologically opposed to private education generally don't vote Tory anyway
    I'm not so sure. Simply buying luxury items, as opposed to deeply wounding the social cohesion of the country ... and as for your ignoring non-Tory voters as usual, their taxes are being used to buttress such donations in general.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    33m
    Many Ukrainians say that even worse crimes against humanity were committed by Russian troops in Borodyanka than in Bucha.

This video shows that the city is in ruins.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1511368084942200838
  • Options

Funnily enough though I have not been a fan of Sunak's period as Chancellor I thought his funding of bursaries to Whinchester was a commendable thing to do.

Just think its for a bit of show. We all know his boss cannot find 10 quid so it's to say to potential allies plenty more where that came
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?
    Donating money to a cause depends on the worthiness of that cause. Private schools are engines for concentrating the quality of services and delivering them mostly to those who can pay.

Yes, I know that bursaries exist and the poor but brilliant gold ticket winner can get in, but it's still a system of intentional and intense stratification that benefits the extremely wealthy. It obviously right up HYUFD's street but if you asked me (I know, I know) I could find much better things to do with a spare £100k.
    Quite so. My wording needs correction.
  • Options
    I know some people used to be / are big fans of Yanis Varoufakis. Interviewed for Unherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbad82plR0
  • Options

Just think its for a bit of show. We all know his boss cannot find 10 quid so it's to say to potential allies plenty more where that came
    Ms Sunak making the point he can afford to replace the wallpaper?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

As said earlier it's optics.
  • Options
    We have zero idea how much Sunak and his wife donate to charities every year. I am going to guess the £100k to his former school is a tiny fraction of that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 40% (+1)
    CON: 33% (-2)
    LDEM: 11% (-)
    GRN: 4% (+1)

Via @SavantaComRes, 01 - 03 Apr
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

So out of touch

The problem is that it adds to the narrative that he ignored those in need in his widely criticised budget then gives £100,000 to a private school
    It isn't a thing which has just happened, it happened and then got published in an annual round up in the school magazine and then Sky News got hold of a copy. So "then gives" is wrong.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

I'm not so sure. Simply buying luxury items, as opposed to deeply wounding the social cohesion of the country ... and as for your ignoring non-Tory voters as usual, their taxes are being used to buttress such donations in general.
    Case made, you are an ideological anti Tory voter who thinks private education is 'deeply wounding to the social cohesion of the country'.

Whereas Tories believe in parental choice
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

So out of touch

It isn't a thing which has just happened, it happened and then got published in an annual round up in the school magazine and then Sky News got hold of a copy. So "then gives" is wrong.
    Yes, but since when did the narrative have to be accurate?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Case made, you are an ideological anti Tory voter who thinks private education is 'deeply wounding to the social cohesion of the country'.

Only for the wealthy naturally. Eton for everyone!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

A replay.

Yeah. That's my read too. The 50% who won't vote Le Pen under any circumstances will do for her I think.
    Probably, but if the other 50% all vote for her it will be a nailbiter
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    edited April 2022

So out of touch

Sunak has spectacularly self-destructed

The most tin-eared donation EVER? What a moron. This on top of his Will Smith wife analogy, because people should not pick on a billionairess, and also filling up a Kia and being unable to use contactless because he is SO RICH

No chance he ever becomes leader. Not a boerwurst sausage’s chance on a braai
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    TimS said:

FPT:

Russia is incredibly good at winding up and infuriating people like me who watch them aghast as they spout the usual complete lies, with a half smirk. But ultimately we all know know they will lose in just about every way. Even if they somehow manage to occupy Ukraine and then march on Moldova and the Baltics, they will end up losing in the ways that matter.

The trouble is we know they will aim to drag as many people down with them as possible. In that way they remind me of my sister in law's controlling ex-husband who she ended up leaving after a domestic violence episode. The similarities are there both before the incident and afterwards. For years below we could see the warning signs, the erratic and controlling behaviour, though when it happened there was still a feeling of shock. But afterwards he didn't let up - he made false accusations to the police, tried every trick in the book through the courts, vexatious anonymous referrals to social services.

Each time things got harder for him, but he kept going. He lost any share of child custody, then was eventually denied contact, then had a restraining order slapped on him, and finally lost the vast majority of the joint assets after trying to hide sources of income from the court. He lost completely and comprehensively. And again a few years later after abusing his next unfortunate wife. Yet he still managed to drag his ex through about 6 or 7 years of hell on earth on the way down, which she is only just recovering from.

Putin is an abusive ex who's essentially said to Ukraine, if I can't have you then I'm going to make sure nobody else will want you.

The good thing is that Europe no longer believes a word of his bullshit.
  • Options

I know some people used to be / are big fans of Yanis Varoufakis. Interviewed for Unherd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbad82plR0

Misread that - thought you said interviewed for United!!
  • Options

So out of touch

To be spent on scholarships and bursaries to include some clever pupils in need whose parents could not otherwise afford the fees for Winchester
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Testimony from a survivor of the Bucha massacre:

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1511350713435230217

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews
    how Ukraine could negotiate with Russia's Vladimir Putin given the atrocities allegedly committed by his forces, the Ukrainian interior minister said, speaking in English: “Go to hell.”

At some point there will have to be a peace deal with the difference between now and that some point being measured in deaths. I would not like to be the politician that has to determine when that time has arrived.
  • Options
    For those interested, the experimental details of the fusion announcement.

Enough lay-chat. What have we really done? Everything here comes from our white paper detailing the experimental results. If you want them, every single raw data trace is there. 🧵(1/n)..
    https://twitter.com/FLF_Nick/status/1511374600575365122
  • Options

Just out of interest how did you discover that. What path of investigation or browsing were you on which threw that up. A covid-specific group on social media, for example?
  • Options
    TimS said:

FPT:

Horribly persuasive
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364

Hundred News....

But a number of other international players have not been signed. David Warner, Aaron Finch, Chris Gayle and Babar Azam are among those to have missed out.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/60982426

How does nobody sign Babar Azam....

Harumph. Or, if you wanted a cheaper and less ugly short form of cricket, the T20 blast is starting in May. I'm looking forward to going to see Lancashire play. It may have fewer big international names, but it does have people associated with Lancashire.

Choosing one team over another is always a slightly arbitrary choice. But a process whereby a load of random professionals arrive arbitrarily in your city feels to me a bit like they're taking the piss.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

So out of touch

The most tin-eared donation EVER? What a moron. This on top of his Will Smith wife analogy, because people should not pick on a billionairess, and also filling up a Kia and being unable to use contactless because he is SO RICH

No chance he ever becomes leader. Not a sausage
    What does surprise me is he could just have done it anonymously if he wanted to do it out of the goodness of his heart. Edit: works both ways, of course, but still, he had that option.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Musk joins the Twitter board of directors.

Absolute LOLs.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited April 2022
    If Sunak was going to give money to a private school, he'd have been better off giving it to Ampleforth College, which is in his neighbouring constituency. It was inspected recently by Ofsted and found to be a) a den of iniquity, and b) inadequate. That's private schools for you - a heady mix of drugs, alcohol, sex and "monks of concern".

You don't get that sort of stuff in the state sector.

If anybody's interested: https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/27/121735
  • Options
    edited April 2022

I'm not convinced that Sunak has really got the hang of this levelling-up malarkey.

View 1: he is contributing to the opportunities of under-privileged children so that they can benefit from a private school education
    View 2: of all the institutions that don't need money from the CotE either in a personal or professional capacity, one of the country's leading public schools must be in the top five.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

At some point there will have to be a peace deal with the difference between now and that some point being measured in deaths. I would not like to be the politician that has to determine when that time has arrived.
    You're framing it as a decision for one side only which wrongly implies that the victim of aggression is morally responsible for the consequences of fighting back.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?

"...the poor but brilliant gold ticket winner can get in..."

This is a modern version of the Distressed Gentlefolk* charity. Sure, in theory it's open to anybody but in reality only a very small subset of society, usually with the right connections, would ever have the wherewithal to apply, let alone be successful. It's a sham.

(*I am probably being unfair to that charity, now sensibly renamed 'Elizabeth Finn Care'.)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Leon said:

So out of touch

It's amazing how a politician's reputation can suddenly go into free-fall when he, as leader anointed, fails to make a move against the wounded incumbent. Happened to Michael Portillo and David Miliband.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

Yeah it's all jolly sending weapons but they essentially kill people and prolong things
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

OK I have radically changed my stance. Shit just got real: we are obliged by treaty to prevent as well as to punish genocide, and there is no "unless the perpetrator has nuclear weapons and shit" getout clause in the treaty. This is now genocide. We need to prevent it, even if that requires sending in a huge and armed to the teeth UN peacekeeping force. Fiat justitia, ruat caelum.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Musk joins the Twitter board of directors.

Absolute LOLs.

I understand he wants an edit button on posts - copying PB
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?

One of its benefits, however, is that it will confound Left Wing class warriors. Because once an underprivileged child goes to Winchester and, perish the thought, succeeds in life, then he will automatically become a class traitor and Tory Scum.

As has been the case with every other working class lad and lass made good over the years according to the left.
  • Options

Leon said:

So out of touch

It's amazing how a politician's reputation can suddenly go into free-fall when he, as leader anointed, fails to make a move against the wounded incumbent. Happened to Michael Portillo and David Miliband.
    Boris is ruthless. For anyone taking him on, it was always case of kill or be killed. Rishi chose the latter.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    TOPPING said:

Just out of interest how did you discover that. What path of investigation or browsing were you on which threw that up. A covid-specific group on social media, for example?
    Its all over the media. The data comes from the UK's Health Security Agency.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So out of touch

To be spent on scholarships and bursaries to include some clever pupils in need whose parents could not otherwise afford the fees for Winchester
    Not relevant. He could give the money to a charity to preserve the moths of Epping Forest or to the Dog Aid Society and the point would be the same.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

@HYUFD I am often more sympathetic to you than most, but this is idiotic from Sunak. Winchester College is already insanely wealthy. He should have just given the money straight to Prince Andrew, who does so much good work with impoverished young women

That’s about the level of crassness. A man so lacking in basic political judgement should never be allowed to lead

Go long on Truss or Mordaunt
  • Options
    edited April 2022

If Sunak was going to give money to a private school, he'd have been better off giving it to Ampleforth College, which is in his neighbouring constituency. It was inspected recently by Ofsted and found to be a) a den of iniquity, and b) inadequate. That's private schools for you - a heady mix of drugs, alcohol, sex and "monks of concern".

The Ofsted report was of course a load of rubbish. Academically Ampleforth still gets top grade average GCSEs and A levels and provides plenty of extra curricular activities.

The main concern from Ofsted is the monks live on site with the pupils, as they have done for centuries. Yet supposedly this is a major safeguarding issue.

The rest is par for the course for most schools with teenagers
  • Options
    Leon said:

So out of touch

like I say it's a sleeper. Sky News have probably known about it for years and thought it was too boring to publish, until it wasn't. But yes he is toasted by it. PORWAS.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    FYI the £100k donation Sunak has made. He hasn't just written a big fat cheque last week. It is he has now given that of his lifetime, and in doing so has been listed by the school as a "Wykeham benefactors".

So the claims of making a tin eared donation in current climate is nonsense. I am guessing it is more ever since he has become wealthy he probably makes a donation every year, which has now in totality exceeded £100k.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Ofsted report was of course a load of rubbish. Academically Ampleforth still gets top grade average GCSEs and A levels and provides plenty of extra curricular activities.

The main concern from Ofsted is the monks live on site with the boys, as they have done for centuries. Yet supposedly this is a major safeguarding issue

How do you know it's rubbish?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

OK I have radically changed my stance. Shit just got real: we are obliged by treaty to prevent as well as to punish genocide, and there is no "unless the perpetrator has nuclear weapons and shit" getout clause in the treaty. This is now genocide. We need to prevent it, even if that requires sending in a huge and armed to the teeth UN peacekeeping force. Fiat justitia, ruat caelum.
    Yeah and the genocide then would be worldwide
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

You're framing it as a decision for one side only which wrongly implies that the victim of aggression is morally responsible for the consequences of fighting back.
    You are misreading the comment.

The reality is that people are dying every day in Ukraine and at some point it will stop. It is up to several parties to determine when that is, one of them being Zelensky.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

The main concern from Ofsted is the monks live on site with the boys, as they have done for centuries. Yet supposedly this is a major safeguarding issue
    I see no inconsistency between drugs, alcohol and sex and 'plenty of extra curricular activities'.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

FPT:

The good thing is that Europe no longer believes a word of his bullshit.
    Previously we had plausible deniability. Now it is just lying, and insulting an entire continent at the same time. They've gone down several rungs in the criminal scales - from being sophisticated mafia types, to mad drug addicts.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm not convinced that Sunak has really got the hang of this levelling-up malarkey.

View 1: he is contributing to the opportunities of under-privileged children so that they can benefit from a private school education
    View 2: of all the institutions that don't need money from the CotE either in a personal or professional capacity, one of the country's leading public schools must be in the top five.
    View 2 holds.

There's lots of better ways of spending your money to contribute to the well-being of under-privileged children. (Not that any are likely to get a place at Winchester even under a bursary/scholarship anyway).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I see no inconsistency between drugs, alcohol and sex and 'plenty of extra curricular activities'.
    It's rather the question of who 'provides' them.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?

This is a modern version of the Distressed Gentlefolk* charity. Sure, in theory it's open to anybody but in reality only a very small subset of society, usually with the right connections, would ever have the wherewithal to apply, let alone be successful. It's a sham.

(*I am probably being unfair to that charity, now sensibly renamed 'Elizabeth Finn Care'.)
    Lucky Elizabeth Finn
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

Yeah it's much easier to make such pronouncements on an internet chat room because no one will say - OK, let's mobilise, send your soldiers over there. So keep at it.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

Objectively.. is it?

Yes, good point about the connections and awareness.

I fear the thought process for some people stops at "well whoever gets it will get it on merit" without thinking through the other selection biases (per you), the opportunity costs of using that money for this and not something else, the opportunity gains for the golden ticket winner (2.5 years of private education for one kid up from... what? Probably a bog standard education).

This is an emblematically poor choice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

@HYUFD I am often more sympathetic to you than most, but this is idiotic from Sunak. Winchester College is already insanely wealthy. He should have just given the money straight to Prince Andrew, who does so much good work with impoverished young women

That’s about the level of crassness. A man so lacking in basic political judgement should never be allowed to lead

Go long on Truss or Mordaunt
    Yes but this is going solely to fund bursaries for bright but relatively poor pupils to the school. Not Winchester college's new cocktail bar, polo enclosure and 5000 seat theatre.

Wallace also in the frame for next leader
  • Options
    edited April 2022

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

Yeah it's all jolly sending weapons but they essentially kill people and prolong things
    It has been the paradigm of eg civil wars throughout history. At some point someone will win. Until that time then the deaths will mount up. As I said not a decision I would like to be in a position to make. And yes also historically arming the protagonists has extended the war.
  • Options

FYI the £100k donation Sunak has made. He hasn't just written a big fat cheque last week. It is he has now given that of his lifetime, and in doing so has been listed now listed by the school as a "Wykeham benefactors".

So the claims of making a tin eared donation in current climate is nonsense.

Then he is still guilty of foolishness, and semi-tone-deafness, and he has been successfully despatched as a candidate for leader by some ruthless opponent. Hmmmm
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    HYUFD said:

The main concern from Ofsted is the monks live on site with the pupils, as they have done for centuries. Yet supposedly this is a major safeguarding issue.

That's never been a safeguarding issue in any other religious establishment of course.
  • Options
    150 dogs in a Ukrainian shelter in Borodyanka, in which the Russian occupation starved them to death. Even killing UAnimals volunteers attempting to feed the dogs during the occupation. I can't bear to repost the vid. I hope Putin dies a slow painful death.
    https://twitter.com/DoctorJones7961/status/1511378519342821379
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,246

Perhaps it is the other way round, reminding Boris that he needs to get out of Downing Street and onto the gravy train if he wants to be able to write 6-figure cheques.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    HYUFD said:

Funny that. You swear by Ofsted reports when they tell us how good grammar and private schools are.

And you're too dismissive. The 'monks of concern' are, as the report says, monks who have been accused of, or found guilty of, sexual abuse. It's not unusual for the Catholic Church to cover such things up, is it?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Its all over the media. The data comes from the UK's Health Security Agency.
    thanks
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

It has been the paradigm of eg civil wars throughout history. At some point someone will win. Until that time then the deaths will mount up. As I said not a decision I would like to be in a position to make.
    The only person currently in a position to make that decision is Putin, not Zelensky. If Zelensky said, "Ok, enough dying, enough suffering," it wouldn't be the end of Russian aggression against Ukraine.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    Leon said:

So out of touch

Not really tin eared at all. This was part of an appeal for a new fund for bursaries and scholarships a while ago.

There’s a very interesting Tatler (yes I know….) dive into him which goes into him failing to get a scholarship which resulted in his parents “having to make sacrifices”. It also talks about him working as a waiter during school holidays in a friend of the family’s Indian restaurant. So he’s not the typical loaded public schoolboy of myth.

Added to this was his fixation in his interview after the budget with wanting to give everyone the ability to work.

Whether he’s so far done anything to help more people to “work” I think it shows where his ideology is - work your ass off and you might succeed….

If you are a Tory I would imagine that a chancellor with this ideology and background is actually a wet dream - he might have been holed below the waterline by Covid and Ukraine but Once we are out the other side I think he’s actually probably the “perfect” Tory chancellor. Prob not PM but this donation issue is easy to frame as “billionaire Rishi gives money to toffs” but really exposes that he wants to give people the leg up he felt he had. Which is admirable whatever you think of his Spring statement…..
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

FYI the £100k donation Sunak has made. He hasn't just written a big fat cheque last week. It is he has now given that of his lifetime, and in doing so has been listed now listed by the school as a "Wykeham benefactors".

Then he is still guilty of foolishness, and semi-tone-deafness, and he has been successfully despatched as a candidate for leader by some ruthless opponent. Hmmmm
    How so? I wouldn't be surprised if it is a direct debit donation and probably had no clue it was going to go over £100k. Should he had just stopped it as soon as he became chancellor or that the economy was looking iffy?

Also, this listing of a benefactor is in the latest issue of their alumni magazine, I wouldn't be surprised if the donation that triggered this might well have been historic and only now the school have done some sums and said he has reached this status.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

If its a scholarship awarded to someone not able to afford an elite education, I feel that's a benefit to social mobility.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

How so? I wouldn't be surprised if it is a direct debit donation and probably had no clue it was going to go over £100k. ?

Good grief. It gets worse.
  • Options
    "There is almost nothing left of the town," – Oleksiy Kuleba of the Kyiv Regional Military Administration on the liberated Borodianka. According to Prosecutor General Iryna Venediktova, the situation with civilian casualties there is the worst in the Kyiv region.
    https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1511372231452069895
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:

For those interested, the experimental details of the fusion announcement.

Enough lay-chat. What have we really done? Everything here comes from our white paper detailing the experimental results. If you want them, every single raw data trace is there. 🧵(1/n)..
    https://twitter.com/FLF_Nick/status/1511374600575365122

The last tweet in that thread is worth framing for them. They must be very happy with the results and tbh, the doubters have been silenced.

Ideally the government will come in with lots of money for them in the next few months and help from the defence industry for making their projectiles even faster.
  • Options
    Memo to massively wealthy Tory politicians, don’t give MORE money to already wildly wealthy and super elitist public schools

I’d give similar advice to Labour politicians of questionable patriotism: don’t support the IRA and hang out with Hamas
  • Options

Leon said:

How so? I wouldn't be surprised if it is a direct debit donation and probably had no clue it was going to go over £100k. Should he had just stopped it as soon as he became chancellor or that the economy was looking iffy?

Also, this listing of a benefactor is in the latest issue of their alumni magazine, I wouldn't be surprised if the donation that triggered this might well have been historic and only now the school have done some sums and said he has reached this status.
    Quite flash if true

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

The sky might literally fall in. But yes. RU's wmd arsenal would have to be taken out by first strike, without warning. The retaliatory model is inadequate for this sitaution.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    YouGov polling carried out on behalf of These Islands highlights a series of problems facing the SNP in their push for a second independence referendum:

- Voters don’t want a second independence referendum on their proposed timescale: only 36% support an independence referendum being held in 2023
    - The majority don’t support independence: when asked as a Yes/No question the split is 47/53 in favour of No
    - There is evidence of acquiescence bias favouring the Yes side and the SNP may not benefit from their preferred question in a future referendum: when asked as a Remain/Leave question, the split is 59/41 in favour of Remain

https://www.these-islands.co.uk/publications/i379/keeping_the_dream_alive.aspx
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

Yeah it's much easier to make such pronouncements on an internet chat room because no one will say - OK, let's mobilise, send your soldiers over there. So keep at it.
    But that's always a playable card, and if it is valid that entails us never going to war, unless I suppose the active armed forces vote by a majority to do so. We are party to a treaty which says if X, then Y. Now X, so Y. We shouldn't have signed up if we can't take a joke.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

So out of touch

It is his money

If its a scholarship awarded to someone not able to afford an elite education, I feel that's a benefit to social mobility.
    That's like saying the national lottery is an engine of social mobility. Sure, if you're the lucky winner.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

You say that, and I was about to "like" your comment to indicate agreement, but there are lots of conflicts which don't yet have a peace deal - Israel/Palestine, North/South Korea are obvious examples.

Even for a ceasefire, both sides would have to accept the futility of continuing to fight at the same time. I fear that there is a lot of fighting, and a lot of dying, before that point will be reached between Russia and Ukraine.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

Article II

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Killing members of the group;
    Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

IANAL but that seems to turn on "with intent to destroy".
    Genocide remains arguable. War crimes not so.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Thought I'd blown it today.....

Wordle 290 6/6

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

So out of touch

Not really tin eared at all. This was part of an appeal for a new fund for bursaries and scholarships a while ago.

There’s a very interesting Tatler (yes I know….) dive into him which goes into him failing to get a scholarship which resulted in his parents “having to make sacrifices”. It also talks about him working as a waiter during school holidays in a friend of the family’s Indian restaurant. So he’s not the typical loaded public schoolboy of myth.

Added to this was his fixation in his interview after the budget with wanting to give everyone the ability to work.

Whether he’s so far done anything to help more people to “work” I think it shows where his ideology is - work your ass off and you might succeed….

If you are a Tory I would imagine that a chancellor with this ideology and background is actually a wet dream - he might have been holed below the waterline by Covid and Ukraine but Once we are out the other side I think he’s actually probably the “perfect” Tory chancellor. Prob not PM but this donation issue is easy to frame as “billionaire Rishi gives money to toffs” but really exposes that he wants to give people the leg up he felt he had. Which is admirable whatever you think of his Spring statement…..
    So do it anonymously?

No, he wanted to be SEEN doing this

Everything else apart, that shows total lack of basic political common sense
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

It has been the paradigm of eg civil wars throughout history. At some point someone will win. Until that time then the deaths will mount up. As I said not a decision I would like to be in a position to make.
    The only person currently in a position to make that decision is Putin, not Zelensky. If Zelensky said, "Ok, enough dying, enough suffering," it wouldn't be the end of Russian aggression against Ukraine.
    I was taking my lead from the tweet posted above about the Ukraine interior minister saying they would not be negotiating with Russia.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Deborah Haynes
    @haynesdeborah
    ·
    1h
    Asked by
    @SkyNews

But that's always a playable card, and if it is valid that entails us never going to war, unless I suppose the active armed forces vote by a majority to do so. We are party to a treaty which says if X, then Y. Now X, so Y. We shouldn't have signed up if we can't take a joke.
    Yes. You are absolutely right. But it was a bluff. We knew it was a bluff, they knew it was a bluff. We have seen that consistently for the past six weeks.

It's an ain't gonna happen event.
This discussion has been closed.