Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is a new law really necessary? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Destruction of 331st Guards Parachute Regiment - at least 39 known dead to the 13th of March, including their commanding officer. These were the elite, regarding themselves as the pick of Russia's armed forces.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60946340

Nearly as rubbish as our own Parachute Regiment.
    That's your night out in Colchester sorted then.
    As if I'd ever visit Essex.

But let us face it, the Parachute Regiment are a national embarrassment, I think they went fifty years without a combat parachute drop, then there's their disgrace in Suez, Bloody Sunday, and Majar al-Kabir to name but three.
    A recent Guardian writer was discussing the pleasures of a walk through North Essex; Constable Country. And, whisper it, but no long ago the Guardian's food critic was talking up a restaurant in Epping.
    There are lot of excellent places in Essex.
    Indeed, we have a Michelin starred restaurant in Epping now
    https://haywardsrestaurant.co.uk/
    Being proud of getting an award from the French is treasonous behaviour.

Are you even British?
    The French are the best cooks in the world
    Fake news Mr Traitor.
    We are better than them at most things, including war and business and most sports but not cooking
    Remind me who won the most important battle between England and France, 100 Hundred Years' War?

I Patay your lack of knowledge about history and so many other things.

Also the French best us at swearing, swearing in French is like wiping your arse with silk.
    Putin
  • PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Aslan said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Destruction of 331st Guards Parachute Regiment - at least 39 known dead to the 13th of March, including their commanding officer. These were the elite, regarding themselves as the pick of Russia's armed forces.

But let us face it, the Parachute Regiment are a national embarrassment, I think they went fifty years without a combat parachute drop, then there's their disgrace in Suez, Bloody Sunday, and Majar al-Kabir to name but three.
    A recent Guardian writer was discussing the pleasures of a walk through North Essex; Constable Country. And, whisper it, but no long ago the Guardian's food critic was talking up a restaurant in Epping.

Are you even British?
    No, the Italians, Mexicans, Turks and Thais all rank far above the French.
    So do the Koreans, Indians, Vietnamese and Japanese.
    And the British chefs rank above the French
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275

Tory MP David Warburton suspended after sex and drugs allegations

David Warburton has whip removed following claims that raise fresh questions about women’s safety in the House of Commons

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mp-david-warburton-suspended-after-sex-and-drugs-allegations-h3t8ghj0q

So where's Warburton frome?

AND are he & Madison Cawthorne members of International Parliamentary Union entertainment committee?
  • A second aide says Warburton brought her to his flat, touched her against her will and physically stopped her from leaving

She's been moved to office of a woman MP

Both women struggled to address his conduct internally as the parliamentary aide responsible for HR is his wife
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

The picture instantly conveys the mismatch between his public persona and his behaviour behind closed doors.

David Warburton, the Conservative MP for Somerton and Frome, sits in a dimly lit room with a whisky on the rocks, his eyes dazed and his face resting on his hand. In the foreground sitting atop an upturned baking tray: four lines of cocaine. He is said to have snorted “line after line after line” of the drug at the London home of a younger woman in the early hours of February 1. He had met her through politics and allegedly insisted on coming over, despite evidence that she was drunk.

Hours earlier Warburton, a 56-year-old married father of two and former businessman, had asked the woman to order the class A drugs on his behalf, telling her he would pay for them. According to an audio recording, he dismissed the suggestion that paying £160 for two grams was “spenny” — expensive — and said it was “quite good actually”.

I will always remember the "End of the Line" Sun headline about John Leslie.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256

The picture instantly conveys the mismatch between his public persona and his behaviour behind closed doors.

David Warburton, the Conservative MP for Somerton and Frome, sits in a dimly lit room with a whisky on the rocks, his eyes dazed and his face resting on his hand. In the foreground sitting atop an upturned baking tray: four lines of cocaine. He is said to have snorted “line after line after line” of the drug at the London home of a younger woman in the early hours of February 1. He had met her through politics and allegedly insisted on coming over, despite evidence that she was drunk.

Hours earlier Warburton, a 56-year-old married father of two and former businessman, had asked the woman to order the class A drugs on his behalf, telling her he would pay for them. According to an audio recording, he dismissed the suggestion that paying £160 for two grams was “spenny” — expensive — and said it was “quite good actually”.

Lib-dem gain?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769

Quite disgraceful behaviour.

A Conservative MP using the word "spenny".

Resign.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Omnium said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I talked to some of the smartest, best informed people I know in France over the past few days. To my surprise, they are absolutely freaking out about the presidential election.

According to them, people are vastly underestimating the chance of Marine Le Pen winning.

https://twitter.com/Yascha_Mounk/status/1510203333620998148

I'm on at 10s. I have a feeling she'll be much shorter after round 1.
    Macron is toast. I’m on Melenchon at 80 and still confident of him, because he is just simply a smarter more agile politician than Le Pen. This is how it plays out. Last first round polls show nothing in it between Le Pen and Melenchon. Macron’s second round defeat is France “Brexit” moment. Every country is going to have some sort of we are the people and we want the drawbridge up to be great again, moment.
    not really following the French left, but had thought Melenchon a slightly more eloquent Corbyn. is that not accurate?
    Melenchon is maybe more comparable to George Galloway with added Germanophobia.
    as is not more sympathetic to Putin/Russian?
    As in being more of a left-wing chauvinist.
    I meant if Melenchon is elected, would be change Frances policy in the Ukraine -Russia war, and if so in which direction?
    As far as Ukraine is concerned, I don't think it makes a massive difference who wins. A more nationalist President might take a weaker line on sanctions and accelerate the schism with Poland and the Baltic states, so maybe that's the biggest potential flashpoint.
    You don't know many Ukranians do you?

They're great people and if you had met them you'd never have posted as you did.
    I think you have misunderstood @Williamglenn, williamglenn has been charring on the Ukrainians since this started, and seems to really care for them. his observation that the winner of the French elections will not have a big impact doesn't seem that controversial to me, and in no way indicates he does not care about Ukrainians
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Omnium said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I talked to some of the smartest, best informed people I know in France over the past few days. To my surprise, they are absolutely freaking out about the presidential election.

According to them, people are vastly underestimating the chance of Marine Le Pen winning.

Macron is toast. I’m on Melenchon at 80 and still confident of him, because he is just simply a smarter more agile politician than Le Pen. This is how it plays out. Last first round polls show nothing in it between Le Pen and Melenchon. Macron’s second round defeat is France “Brexit” moment. Every country is going to have some sort of we are the people and we want the drawbridge up to be great again, moment.
    not really following the French left, but had thought Melenchon a slightly more eloquent Corbyn. is that not accurate?
    I meant if Melenchon is elected, would be change Frances policy in the Ukraine -Russia war, and if so in which direction?
    As far as Ukraine is concerned, I don't think it makes a massive difference who wins. A more nationalist President might take a weaker line on sanctions and accelerate the schism with Poland and the Baltic states, so maybe that's the biggest potential flashpoint.

They're great people and if you had met them you'd never have posted as you did.
    If I knew more Ukrainians I would care more about who wins the French presidency? Run that by me again.
    Sorry. I misread your post.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

This kind of behaviour is so far from how I would imagine Conservative MPs to behave.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    HYUFD said:

Are you sure it is starred? The restaurant's website suggests it is listed but does not mention a star. Mind you, at those prices, it probably will be soon.
    edited April 2022

Pity the Tories have a 19,000 majority in Somerton & Frome, we need a decent by election.

Couldn't some Tory MP with a tiny majority have a scandal involving drugs and sex?

Yeah but he's not stepping down. The story is embarrassing, and will require said MP to make some serious amends in his constituency, but it isn't going to result in a byelection. Because there's (a) no criminal case to answer, and (b) even if there was, it would be insufficient to trigger a recall.

This kind of behaviour is so far from how I would imagine Conservative MPs to behave.
    I know, I expect LSD, magic mushrooms and cavorting naked in the forest.
  • rcs1000 said:

Pity the Tories have a 19,000 majority in Somerton & Frome, we need a decent by election.

Couldn't some Tory MP with a tiny majority have a scandal involving drugs and sex?

Yeah but he's not stepping down. The story is embarrassing, and will require said MP to make some serious amends in his constituency, but it isn't going to result in a byelection. Because there's (a) no criminal case to answer, and (b) even if there was, it would be insufficient to trigger a recall.
    I think the harassment of three women is what will do for him.

Although Rob Roberts still sits on the Tory benches....
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

Compared with North Shropshire (C maj 22 949), easy peasy for the Yellow Peril.

Hell, they even held the seat until 2015.

So the question is how much political capital will the Conservatives expend defending him?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

A second aide says Warburton brought her to his flat, touched her against her will and physically stopped her from leaving

She's been moved to office of a woman MP

Both women struggled to address his conduct internally as the parliamentary aide responsible for HR is his wife

Spouses and partners should not work for the MP. I get its convenient, but tough.
  • HYUFD said:

Are you sure it is starred? The restaurant's website suggests it is listed but does not mention a star. Mind you, at those prices, it probably will be soon.
    Yeah, fake news by HYUFD, according to Michelin, Haywards are not starred.

https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/article/michelin-star-revelation/the-full-list-of-michelin-star-restaurants-in-the-great-britain-ireland-guide-2022

You must have missed the drugs confessions in the last leadership election, and the photo of a former Chancellor.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Nothings out of sight in febrile times, but even then that's a toughie.

HYUFD said:

https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/article/michelin-star-revelation/the-full-list-of-michelin-star-restaurants-in-the-great-britain-ireland-guide-2022
    Though it is listed and expensive so a star might be imminent. It has three AA rosettes.
    Special Announcement - Yours truly is nominating yours truly to serve as Special PB Election Observer at the June 11 Very Special Election for US House in great State of Alaska.

This is statewide, at-large, vote-by-mail 51-candidate race, including Sarah Palin AND Santa Claus. Under new state law enacted via 2021 ballot measure, top four finishers in June primary will advance to August 16 ranked-choice special election.

My own expectation is that Sarah Palin will likely make the Top Four while Santa will not.

As you know, Alaska is VAST so my expenses for a thorough observational survey will NOT be cheap. SO please give MOST generously, so that I can anchor base camp in Anchorage, drive to Wasilla, fly to Juneau, dogsled to Nome . . . you get the idea!
  • Pity the Tories have a 19,000 majority in Somerton & Frome, we need a decent by election.

Compared with North Shropshire (C maj 22 949), easy peasy for the Yellow Peril.

Hell, they even held the seat until 2015.

So the question is how much political capital will the Conservatives expend defending him?
    As Rob Roberts shows, Boris Johnson and the modern day Conservative Party will not do anything to stop pervs from remaining on their benches.

Sickening.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567

rcs1000 said:

Trouble is that one of the founding principles of the BoJo Party is "you voted for us, so we can do whatever we damn well please until the next election".

But the whole thing is beginning to have a whiff of the mid nineties about it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited April 2022

HYUFD said:

It is certainly in the guide. So Epping has 1 restaurant in the guide for a population of 11,461 compared to Sheffield which has just 5 restaurants in the guide for a population of 584,028
    https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/essex/epping/restaurant/haywards
    https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/south-yorkshire/sheffield/restaurants
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is certainly in the guide. So Epping has 1 restaurant in the guide for a population of 11,461 compared to Sheffield which has just 5 restaurants in the guide for a population of 584,028
    But you said it was starred, being in the guide doesn't mean starred, as per the link I provided.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

rcs1000 said:

Trouble is that one of the founding principles of the BoJo Party is "you voted for us, so we can do whatever we damn well please until the next election".

But the whole thing is beginning to have a whiff of the mid nineties about it.
    No, people could afford to eat and heat their homes in the mid nineties.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    Pensfold said:

Ukraine is fighting the Russians on our behalf. We, and other democratic countries, should devote resources to Ukraine winning as if we were in the front line.

Besides offering them all the resources we can, I think we should offer the Ukrainian nation the George Cross for its magnificent resistance, as we did the Maltese during the Second World War. And Zelensky should get an honorary knighthood, as other friends of freedom have in the past.

Small tokens, to be sure, and much less important than anti-tank missiles, but a sign of our admiration for their valour.
  • Fishing said:

Pensfold said:

Ukraine is fighting the Russians on our behalf. We, and other democratic countries, should devote resources to Ukraine winning as if we were in the front line.

Besides offering them all the resources we can, I think we should offer the Ukrainian nation the George Cross for its magnificent resistance, as we did the Maltese during the Second World War. And Zelensky should get an honorary knighthood, as other friends of freedom have in the past.

Small tokens, to be sure, and much less important than anti-tank missiles, but a sign of our admiration for their valour.
    I'm sick of virtue signalling like that.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Pensfold said:

This has been my thinking about this conflict. As an individual, I've donated decent amounts of money to the cause. I'm relieved we have a sensible government and not one led by Corbyn who I am sure would have done nothing in terms of military aid.
    Amount of fake news pumped into just this posting by Sage of Epping truly impressive even my his standard.

Certainly worthy of at least one fake star?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Being in the guide is not being starred.

That said, I was always a fan of the Bib Gourmand, which Michelin awards to places which are very good, and also good value. Not quite starred, but usually less fussy and a lot less pricy.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

dixiedean said:

Are the middle classes more socially liberal than the working classes? It is often asserted, but I don't see much evidence. Many wealthy rural villages are stultifyingly conformist. Many poorer areas are very tolerant of other folk's peccadilloes.

According to opinion polling, yes, although like you my own anecdotal experience is rather mixed. My impression is that middle class people tend to talk up their social liberalism while working class people do the opposite.
    Generalisations are part of the problem, but my impression is that the middle classes are more tolerant in theory, but less tolerant in practice.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    I've found the perfect label for those PBers glued (with what I'd rather not know) to their tactical armchairs and who've developed a 1000 yard stare.

Kind of curious about 'obscene acts of bravery'; I think the lad could probably do with the services of a copywriter.

https://tinyurl.com/5n6y4d27

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,692

I've not touched the stuff in almost a decade, but back then it was £50 for a gram of crushed up light bulbs, caffeine pills and a dab of speed, or £90 a gram if you wanted something with actual coke in it. And I presume inflation has kicked in since then.

I have never heard the word "spenny" before, is it u or non u? :grin:
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

Fishing said:

Pensfold said:

I'm sick of virtue signalling like that.
    It would also be a bit patronising. It draws attention to the question why we are not there fighting ourselves. And the answer to that, is we are afraid of 'poking the bear' - a stance that is looking increasingly pathetic, the longer this conflict goes on.
    Politico.com - Trumpian Conservatives Hold an ‘Emergency’ Meeting Over Russia
    At a Washington Marriott, the nationalist wing of the Republican Party wrestles with what Putin’s war means for their movement.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/04/02/trump-conservatives-emergency-meeting-gop-russia-00022419

SSI - Mostly navel-gazing. But does highlight that growing split in Republican ranks is NOT between MAGA and Never-Trumpers, but rather neo-isolationists versus neo-neo-cons.

HYUFD said:

Wild Honey got a star, I see: well deserved. An excellent (and not overpriced) restaurant in Mayfair.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    not everybody will what to click on the link,

the tweet is a photo of a town in northern Ukraine, the Russians had tide the hands of some Ukrainians civilians behind there back, and then shot them. Basterds and war criminals.

https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1510039148299751424?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1510039148299751424|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/04/02/ukrainian-troops-around-kiev-horrified-by-what-retreating-russians-left-behind-n459626

Clearly I cant verify this, but having seen a few videos of liberated areas, I think its real.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Fishing said:

Pensfold said:

Didn’t Malta only receive the GC by virtue of being a British crown colony? You’re not suggesting..

New Thread

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you even British?
    Fake news Mr Traitor.
    We are better than them at most things, including war and business and most sports but not cooking
    Remind me who won the most important battle between England and France, 100 Hundred Years' War?

I Patay your lack of knowledge about history and so many other things.

Also the French best us at swearing, swearing in French is like wiping your arse with silk.
    Castillon was won by the French.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Mail online is leading with a piece on RU tank losses around Kyiv. Incredible photos. Dozens and dozens of destroyed tanks and APCs.

This has been a military disaster of the first order that will be studied for years.

Incredibly, Putin seems to be surviving this debacle still in office.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone take any notice of this class stuff? I call them napkins about half the time, and serviettes about half the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10677879/The-signs-betray-true-class-DETLEV-PILTZ-explains-sound-doorbell-reveals.html

'Serviette' is just a horrible word anyway. Admittedly napkin isn't much better. 'Paper napkin' is what I'd use, the word 'napkin' being used for the heavy cloth affair.
    Is it just me, or is the case that really posh people don't care about this stuff very much. At least all the one I know don't.

The whole having a book on which spoon to use with which dish thing strikes me as very invented. Sort of like American attempts to be aristocratic - wildly over the top.
    I don't care a puggie's myself. Which must make me very posh. Or very demotic.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    BigRich said:

not everybody will what to click on the link,

the tweet is a photo of a town in northern Ukraine, the Russians had tide the hands of some Ukrainians civilians behind there back, and then shot them. Basterds and war criminals.

https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1510039148299751424?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1510039148299751424|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/04/02/ukrainian-troops-around-kiev-horrified-by-what-retreating-russians-left-behind-n459626

Clearly I cant verify this, but having seen a few videos of liberated areas, I think its real.

There are lots of these videos. I am 99% sure the Russians are shooting multiple civilians, for no reason, as they retreat

Unspeakable. We edge closer to total war
    rcs1000 said:

I know, I expect LSD, magic mushrooms and cavorting naked in the forest.
    And badger watching. Or is that Labour?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you even British?
    Fake news Mr Traitor.
    I have never, ever understood how the French managed fool so many non-French people into thinking they are the best chefs in the world. Even within Europe, the Italian cuisine far outshines theirs. The Mediterranean/Ottoman cuisine is at least as good, if not better. And that's without getting to Chinese, Malay, Indian and Indochinese cuisines.

French food can be exquisite, but is often just bleh.
    edited April 2022

David Warburton has whip removed following claims that raise fresh questions about women’s safety in the House of Commons

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mp-david-warburton-suspended-after-sex-and-drugs-allegations-h3t8ghj0q

That posting is decidedly ambiguous, twice over. I had to look at it twice. And then again.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Guardian rightly call Kyiv, Kyiv not Kiev saying "it's only fair that we outsiders get our language right."

They say people, not occupiers must set rules.

Yet today they deliberately use "Malvinas" not Falklands on anniversary of a war that killed 255 Brits settling that issue.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1510229226406006787?s=20&t=YeGiurfncGLG-F8sqC2DVw

The article is by an Argentinian and the use of language makes an important point to remind us what they think, even if we don't agree. The Graun uses Falklands just an inch away ...
    His argument that allowing Argentina's defeat in a war of aggression to settle the matter "would set a dangerous precedent" sounds like something Sergey Lavrov would say.
    Yes indeed, Foreign Ministers really do talk a load of old bollocks for a living, even by the standards of government ministers.
    It's very funny.

Whilst the Argentine Foreign Minister is blathering on about "40 years of vibrant democracy" in the Grauniad (nothing about former President Cristina Kirchner who is currently avoiding a trial for High Treason by being Vice President, I think - very complex), whilst the Deputy Foreign Minister is comparing the UK/Falklands to Russia/Ukraine in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/01/argentina-compares-british-occupation-russian-invasion-ukraine/

Made funnier by their previous closeness to Putin.

Meanwhile the idiots who 'run' the Guardian first printed their article with "Falklands" in places, and have done a reverse ferret to "Malvinas" within hours.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220402050616/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/02/falklands-war-britain-sovereignty-uk-un-resolutions

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/02/falklands-war-britain-sovereignty-uk-un-resolutions

:smile:

The author, who is Argentina's Foreign Minister used Malvinas, as one would expect. Somewhat discourteous to 'edit' his piece, surely.
    Given it was an article for a British paper regarding a British overseas territory what the Argentine foreign minister wanted to call it should have been ignored
    He can call it any thing he damn well likes in a paper published in the UK and it is up to the readers whether they ignore it or not. We are not a dictatorship although clearly you would like us to be seeing as you consider Russia to be a democracy.

To be honest I would be shocked if an Argentinian didn't call the Falklands Malvinas.
    Well half the Guardian readers would hand it over to Buenos Aires anyway, no surprise they will also let the Argentine Minister completely disrespect the people of the Falklands who wish to remain British. No surprise either you have no problem with that
    So you are in favour of censoring the language used and stories told in a British newspaper because you don't agree with it, even to the extent that someone uses the name they give to an island. Do you want to censor the French for not using the term English Channel.

You really are a fascist aren't you?
    They deliberately allowed it to be called Les Malvinas knowing full well that is the term which is the basis of the Argentine claim to the Falklands against the will of its people. The French are not making a claim to the Channel Islands.

Though of course no surprise your haughty liberalism resorts to calling anyone a Fascist who disagrees with you!
    No I call you a fascist because you want to censor the free press for an article where the author used a word that is part of his own language but you disapprove and therefore should be banned. A typical stance of a fascist. Also because:

- You think Russia is democratic
    - You approve of Pinochet
    - You would put down an unofficial referendum with troops
    - You would nuke a country without nuclear weapons.
    - You openly don't feel the views of a losing side in an election should be considered ignoring the respected view that Governments govern for all.

The list goes on. Your views are that of a typical fascist and not of a Tory, which can be seen by the fact that not a single Tory here supports your views.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

(1) Macron is not toast, but it is entirely possible Le Pen wins. She has brought the FN much more into the political centre than people realise. That being said... he's the very clear favourite.

(2) Against Melenchon (or Zemmour), then I do think Macron walks it.

(3) It is worth remembering that Macron's approval/disapproval rating is at the best it's been in three and a bit years. Yes, he's underwater (54-44), but that is still more than 10 points better than his closest challenger (Le Pen), and it's massively better than Zemmour or Melenchon.

(4) In 2017, Le Pen flattered to deceive in the run off. She was regularly polling 41-42 against 58-59 for Macron; i.e. a less than 3:2 advantage for him. And yet when the votes were counted, it was 2:1 in his favour.
    1) and the French electorate may not be in same place either, but more towards the Melenchon and Le Pen joint policy agenda and drawbridge up slogans.
    2) Melenchon would perform more smart and agile against Macron in run off.
    3) War bounce that may not work in domestic election.
    4) what didn’t happen last time is more relevant here than what did. The comfort of Macrons win was built on abstentions, Melenchon and fillion abstentions, and Melenchon and fillion votes. As HY had pointed out, 80% of whatever Zemmour gets is instantly on top of what ever Le Pen gets. That’s even before the majority of Mélenchon voters switch from abstain and Macron to Le Pen this time as now they appreciate he is the enemy to what they believe in more so than they realised last time.

My argument is based on an assessment Teutonic plates have shifted in the electorate making a repeat using same faces utterly impossible.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Guardian rightly call Kyiv, Kyiv not Kiev saying "it's only fair that we outsiders get our language right."

They say people, not occupiers must set rules.

Yet today they deliberately use "Malvinas" not Falklands on anniversary of a war that killed 255 Brits settling that issue.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1510229226406006787?s=20&t=YeGiurfncGLG-F8sqC2DVw

The article is by an Argentinian and the use of language makes an important point to remind us what they think, even if we don't agree. The Graun uses Falklands just an inch away ...
    His argument that allowing Argentina's defeat in a war of aggression to settle the matter "would set a dangerous precedent" sounds like something Sergey Lavrov would say.
    Yes indeed, Foreign Ministers really do talk a load of old bollocks for a living, even by the standards of government ministers.
    It's very funny.

Whilst the Argentine Foreign Minister is blathering on about "40 years of vibrant democracy" in the Grauniad (nothing about former President Cristina Kirchner who is currently avoiding a trial for High Treason by being Vice President, I think - very complex), whilst the Deputy Foreign Minister is comparing the UK/Falklands to Russia/Ukraine in the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/01/argentina-compares-british-occupation-russian-invasion-ukraine/

Made funnier by their previous closeness to Putin.

Meanwhile the idiots who 'run' the Guardian first printed their article with "Falklands" in places, and have done a reverse ferret to "Malvinas" within hours.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220402050616/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/02/falklands-war-britain-sovereignty-uk-un-resolutions

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/02/falklands-war-britain-sovereignty-uk-un-resolutions

:smile:

The author, who is Argentina's Foreign Minister used Malvinas, as one would expect. Somewhat discourteous to 'edit' his piece, surely.
    Given it was an article for a British paper regarding a British overseas territory what the Argentine foreign minister wanted to call it should have been ignored
    He can call it any thing he damn well likes in a paper published in the UK and it is up to the readers whether they ignore it or not. We are not a dictatorship although clearly you would like us to be seeing as you consider Russia to be a democracy.

To be honest I would be shocked if an Argentinian didn't call the Falklands Malvinas.
    Well half the Guardian readers would hand it over to Buenos Aires anyway, no surprise they will also let the Argentine Minister completely disrespect the people of the Falklands who wish to remain British. No surprise either you have no problem with that
    So you are in favour of censoring the language used and stories told in a British newspaper because you don't agree with it, even to the extent that someone uses the name they give to an island. Do you want to censor the French for not using the term English Channel.

You really are a fascist aren't you?
    They deliberately allowed it to be called Les Malvinas knowing full well that is the term which is the basis of the Argentine claim to the Falklands against the will of its people. The French are not making a claim to the Channel Islands.

Though of course no surprise your haughty liberalism resorts to calling anyone a Fascist who disagrees with you!
    No I call you a fascist because you want to censor the free press for an article where the author used a word that is part of his own language but you disapprove and therefore should be banned. A typical stance of a fascist. Also because:

- You think Russia is democratic
    - You approve of Pinochet
    - You would put down an unofficial referendum with troops
    - You would nuke a country without nuclear weapons.
    - You openly don't feel the views of a losing side in an election should be considered ignoring the respected view that Governments govern for all.

The list goes on. Your views are that of a typical fascist and not of a Tory, which can be seen by the fact that not a single Tory here supports your views.
    No.

You call me a fascist because you are a pompous, tedious Liberal bore who now resorts to abuse against anyone who does not share their mindset!

Thatcher herself approved of Pinochet's support in the Falklands War, the Tory UK government's official policy is to continue to refuse indyref2.

Name me one Labour government where most Tory voters were happy with it or one Tory government where most Labour voters were happy with it?

Despite the Tories still polling around 35% you can count the number of still Tory voting Boris supporters on here on 1 hand. That means nothing
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone take any notice of this class stuff? I call them napkins about half the time, and serviettes about half the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10677879/The-signs-betray-true-class-DETLEV-PILTZ-explains-sound-doorbell-reveals.html

'Serviette' is just a horrible word anyway. Admittedly napkin isn't much better. 'Paper napkin' is what I'd use, the word 'napkin' being used for the heavy cloth affair.
    Is it just me, or is the case that really posh people don't care about this stuff very much. At least all the one I know don't.

The whole having a book on which spoon to use with which dish thing strikes me as very invented. Sort of like American attempts to be aristocratic - wildly over the top.
    It made some sense when a substantial table was set for many courses in that you didn't want the waiting staff to be trying to find extra cutlery throughout the meal. Any formal dinner for a good number of people verges on chaos anyway.
    Well, I thought it was bloody simply - set the cutlery so you work inwards. Or is that too prole like?
    Just use the same fork n knife all the way through. But wipe them on your serviette between courses.
    That'd be ghastly - you wipe your cutlery and anything else on your sleeve. The whole point of napkins at dinner is that you return them pristine.

Lipstick and napkins must be a nightmare.
    Personally I get the dogs to lick the plates clean between courses. It’s a bit messy using your sleeves

Parachute Regiment battle honours. (Although somebody was taking a risk naming a military action Operation Slapstick....)

https://www.paradata.org.uk/article/battle-honours
    As an aside, I've recently named a project at work, 'Project Stepmother'.
    Is that the investigation into the *** by *** and ***?
    Omnium said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I think he’s saying that whoever wins the *French* presidency won’t really impact Ukraine

Blue tit chicks eat 150 trillion caterpillars each year in the UK.

That's all.

I mows have a NSFW image in my head…
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,953

The other thing about a no-fly zone is that, once you've taken the action to impose a no-fly zone, you've destroyed the Russian SAM batteries, you've hit Russian planes on the ground in Russia - why not also take out the Iskander missile launchers, or the MLRS batteries? Why not bomb movements of Russian armour?

The call for NATO to provide full air support for the Ukraine Armed Forces is a much more logical and reasonable position, and it's an end-state that imposing a no-fly zone leads to (particularly as a no-fly zone wouldn't stop the bombardment of cities like Kharkiv).

Of course, a no-fly zone sounds so much less dangerous, much more like a neutral intervention, and so obviously for propaganda and public relations purposes the Ukrainians will call for a no-fly zone, and if we were to provide one they would equally obviously then call for a no Russian artillery zone, and a no ballistic missile zone, etc.

I'm very tempted by the option of NATO riding gloriously to the assistance of the Ukrainians in this war. If you discount the threat of nuclear war, it would do much to bring the war and the suffering of civilians to an earlier end.

But a no-fly zone does not exist as a viable, significantly less dangerous, middle-way alternative between supplying weapons and full involvement. It's muddled thinking.

To make a no-fly zone work, it’s not enough to have lots of anti-aircraft defences. You need to stop planes taking off - that means destroying the airfields, fuel depots, hangers, radar and air control facilities (both military and civilian). It would in all probability lead to a limited (at best) nuclear response from Russia.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Fishing said:

Pensfold said:

He could swap stories of valour with Sir Gavin Willamson
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

That is of course exactly what Le Pen wants.

Her best chance of winning once she gets to the runoff is for everyone to expect an easy Macron victory, as the establishment consensus was for a big Remain win and Clinton win in 2016.

Then she is more likely to pick up protest voters while fewer liberals turn out
    If she is more than 5 points behind Macron after round one, she won't win in Round two. If she is closer, it will panic those diametrically opposed to her winning into turning out for Macron. That's her dilemma.
    Remain was often more than 5 points ahead of Leave, as Clinton was often more than 5 points ahead of Trump.

She will pick up the vast majority of Zemmour voters, more Pecresse voters than the percentage of Fillon voters who voted for her in 2017. The left are also not enthusiastic about Macron seeing him as the President of the rich and big business and some of them who voted for him in the 2017 runoff will stay home this time.

Discovered yesterday that Fillon is another of those dodgy French PMs and Presidents (in his case PM 2007-2012) who is on his way to prison - in his case 5 years for corruption (3 suspended), if his Appeal fails.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillon_affair#Trial_and_conviction

I'll have to find some time to draw up a list - I'm losing count. Perhaps it's time for the Next Republic.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you are coming from London you need to get to Essex to get to Cambridge.

Ignoring their victory at the Battle of Wireless Ridge and at Goose Green, their taking control of Pristina in Kosovo and their involvement in Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan
    Oh my word, you know as much about trains as Big_G.

Edit - Beaten to it by @SandyRentool
    You really think going via train through Stevenage rather than by road via historic Saffron Walden is the better route to Cambriidge?
    I use the M11 quite a lot. It goes near Saffron Walden, but not through it.
    I drove the entire length of the M11 this morning and I have to admit that I didn't notice Saffron Walden. But it was still dark for much of the journey so I may have missed it.
    It would add 20-30mins so increase the journey time by close to a third.
    That's how Saffron Walden likes it. Keep the hoi polloi out.
    edited April 2022
    Carnyx said:

That posting is decidedly ambiguous, twice over. I had to look at it twice. And then again.
    It's a Sunday headline in the Times :neutral:
This discussion has been closed.