Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next election: CON winning most seats & votes but Starmer PM? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,678
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

FPT @StillWaters re people not reading past the headlines. Yes I agree, but they still become very aware once they realise there is an effective tax rate of 100% or more and a lot of Americans own shares or run businesses.

As neither of us have read the details I am wondering if it is rather more nuanced than this and is actually simply a tax avoidance measure aimed at the well off. Eg like when we got rid of B&B.

Something @HYUFD said late last night when I challenged the fact that he was getting capital and income mixed up. He referred to short term capital gains being taxed as income. That immediately rang alarm bells re the understanding of the measure. Firstly by definition you can't have an unrealised short term capital gain. If it is unrealised you don't know if it's short term or not yet, so what does that mean. However it is perfectly reasonable to treat short term realized capital gains as income. That would be normal practice here for instance if done on a very regular basis.

Not sure I can be bothered to read the details, but sounds like measures to stop avoidance to me.

I cannot believe 12 hours after posting this you are still going on about it.

Yes of course it is a tax rise aimed at the well off as that is what Democrats do as I originally said over 12 hours ago!
    Why not. It is interesting. I'm happy to discuss with @StillWaters who makes sensible post. Feel free to ignore. And it is a bit kettle and pot to complain about going on about it.

You have also completely misread my latest post. I don't know where you got your last post last night from but it was interesting because it raised the issue of it not being a tax rise but closing down tax avoidance.

Also your original posts said no such thing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    eek said:

eek said:

It seems that about 2 hours ago the Russia gas pipeline via the Ukraine stopped transporting gas

https://twitter.com/bert_hu_bert/status/1508713195992723458

REAKING: According to the
    @ENTSOG
    European natural gas transparency data, no more Russian gas is coming through Ukraine since two hours. This represents over 25% of all Russian gas sales to Europe. Hourly updates on: https://berthub.eu/gazmon/ /cc

Interesting move for the negotiations going on in Turkey.....
    Highlights a problem for next October - how will the Ukraine keep warm without gas...
    Their apartment blocks will still be on fire.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847

Sandpit said:

Today. The Peace Talks. Zelenskyy has offered neutrality. Correct me where I’m wrong, What he means by this, Ukraine won’t bear arms, but it’s security will be underwritten by “guarantors” UK, US and Turkey.

Question. If the end to the war hinged on that, and they looked to us to sign as guarantor to initiate the peace, with Russia out, right back to how they were out at start of February, as UK PM would you sign to be guarantor?

I’ve had a think on this question, and my answer would be no.

I understand the position of Ukraine is armed neutrality.

I'm not sure what security guarantees we can offer that will be more convincing than the ones offered in 1994, that don't involve a permanent British military base in Ukraine - which presumably wouldn't be seen as very neutral.
    Put a military base in Poland, close to the Ukranian border, and invite the Ukranians to train there while arming them to the teeth in Ukraine.
    A massive anti-aircraft shield over Ukraine is a bare minimum. The best, the longest range possible. We should start building it now, 20 feet inside Ukraine, then work eastwards to Lviv and Kyiv. Then further out still. The best there is, the longest range there is. But to be used only for Russian incursions into Ukraine.

It would as a system still be at risk from hypersonic missiles launched from within Russia. But other sanctions will have to be used to deal with that.
    Isn't there an effective no-fly zone anyway?

According the the Telegraph podcast from a few days ago the Russians are hardly flying at all and most of the damage is being caused by artillery launched from the ground or from planes in Russian/Belarusian airspace.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At the moment after the boundary changes the Conservatives and Labour would be neck and neck on seats on current polls but with the Conservatives almost certainly having won most seats in England alone.

However Starmer would still likely become PM in a hung parliament if he can get SNP and LD support

There are a lot of seats where the Tories will have a first time incumbency bonus.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    I know someone post all the links to all the unherd articles every day and everyone who is interested will already have read it, but this is fun on the ADHD of the modern news cycle:
    https://unherd.com/thepost/why-the-will-smith-slap-is-good-news/

“The debate over that slap and the joke and the apology is gonna consume the next three weeks of discourse” tweeted the Rolling Stone writer Brian Hiatt. “You’re gonna hear takes you can’t even imagine yet.”

Hiatt is right, with the exception of one detail: it won’t be three weeks, it will be more like three days. The ADHD news cycle could barely manage three weeks of sustained attention in response to the greatest security crisis in Europe since the Second World War. The Russian invasion of Ukraine began just four and a half weeks ago, and already is beginning to slip down the ‘top stories’ and ‘trending’ lists generated by news and social media platforms. This morning, 80% of the stories recommended to me by Twitter related to the Will Smith slap while news of ongoing Russian and Ukrainian negotiations barely feature.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Sandpit said:

Today. The Peace Talks. Zelenskyy has offered neutrality. Correct me where I’m wrong, What he means by this, Ukraine won’t bear arms, but it’s security will be underwritten by “guarantors” UK, US and Turkey.

Question. If the end to the war hinged on that, and they looked to us to sign as guarantor to initiate the peace, with Russia out, right back to how they were out at start of February, as UK PM would you sign to be guarantor?

I'm not sure what security guarantees we can offer that will be more convincing than the ones offered in 1994, that don't involve a permanent British military base in Ukraine - which presumably wouldn't be seen as very neutral.
    Put a military base in Poland, close to the Ukranian border, and invite the Ukranians to train there while arming them to the teeth in Ukraine.
    A massive anti-aircraft shield over Ukraine is a bare minimum. The best, the longest range possible. We should start building it now, 20 feet inside Ukraine, then work eastwards to Lviv and Kyiv. Then further out still. The best there is, the longest range there is. But to be used only for Russian incursions into Ukraine.

It would as a system still be at risk from hypersonic missiles launched from within Russia. But other sanctions will have to be used to deal with that.

According the the Telegraph podcast from a few days ago the Russians are hardly flying at all and most of the damage is being caused by artillery launched from the ground or from planes in Russian/Belarusian airspace.
    While the Russian Armed Forces re-prioritise, yes. But any coming assault on the JFO will likely involve CAS.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Sterling work from Ballot Box Scotland as usual on Glasgow locals, and tasty stuff for electoral nerds everywhere. Short summary, SNP probably safe as largest party, SLab have hopes of increase possibly at expense of SCons, SCons shaky, Greens have high hopes possibly of seats in double figures, SLDs stuffed again.

https://twitter.com/ballotboxscot/status/1508484686879805446?s=21
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068

But think of the short-term publicity. Global Britain and all that!

Johnson won't be able to get the pen onto the paper fast enough.

And don't even think about letting Truss, as Foreign Sec do it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    Labour's @AngelaRayner: "The culture is set from the very top. The buck stops with the Prime Minister, who spent months lying to the British public, which is why he’s got to go."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60911798
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

DavidL said:

Anyway, from the previous thread. Regarding Covid we don't need to reinstate restrictions but we do need to ask people to think. Covid is everywhere again and even if it isn't a threat to long-term health or our lives for most of us, it's bloody inconvenient.

I'm on the train into that London from Gatwick and am one of very few in a mask. I'm not going to wear one all day - it'll be off on the communal office. But where it's no imposition and it reduces to very low my chance of catching it now why not wear a mask?

I'm way too busy to get Covid. So I wear a mask and think what I am doing. Others could do the same and we wouldn't have the quiet epidemic we are currently suffering.

The evidence that any of the surviving measures reduce the risk of getting Covid is, at best, mixed. Anecdotally, the current wave is catching those who haven't had it yet and even some who have. As the former includes both my wife and myself this is not great news. And I really don't think the virus cares how busy I am right now.
    A lot of people I know through extended family, mates, friends of friends, old work colleagues etc are coming down with this sub-variant. I've lost track of how times I have been told 'oh, by the way, so and so, has covid' in last three or four weeks.

Anecdotally, as far as I can see it is a massive wave at moment.
    Yes, 1 in 13, supposedly. Reporting is likely to become a problem, since we all know so many who've got it that it seems almost intrusive to mention it instead of quietly self-isolating for 10 days as instructed.

My office returns to part-time (2 days/week) in-office work this week, though I have colleagues who feel that will ismply lead to more and more people being off work altogether.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

Yes, the Russians have cut down on the flying over Ukraine, after too many losses. The Ukrainians claim 10% of the entire Russian Air Force has been taken out, which is likely to be exaggerated, but it’s definitely in the dozens of planes and dozens more helicopters https://www.minusrus.com/en/

The defenders have also just taken delivery of the STARStreak anti-aircraft weapons from the UK, which are rather good at shooting down even supersonic fighter jets. https://youtube.com/watch?v=mnaQ3ANjYGk

It’s a virtual no-fly zone over Ukraine now, without the massive escalation that NATO doing it formally would bring.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    I know less about golf than Sunak knows about the lives of non-billionaires but is a hole in one hard? If you play golf constantly decades on end, as the fat orange fucc boi clearly has, won't you get one eventually?
    I played golf for 50 years and with a handicap of 9 for most of it but did not achieve a hole in one

Several near misses, but I would also add I never played in a match with anyone who holed out in one during the match

So yes, it is difficult and most would say lucky
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Gender/sex debate? The only people making it difficult are the sociologists looking for a purpose. I don't claim to be up with the latest research, but I did lecture briefly on an MSc course on Environmental Toxicology. My subject area was the basics of sexual differentiation.

There are male bodies, and there are female bodies. The intersex problems are extremely
    rare, and are caused by chromosomal or genetic mutations. Some are restricted to specific geographical locations.

Often the genetic cause is Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, (AIS) possibly responsible for no more than 1 in 20,000 XY births. That's a maximum figure. The androgen receptor on the X chromosome is partially or totally unresponsive to androgens. Despite the body having male levels of testosterone, it can, at worst (if worst is the correct word), be as much use as candy floss. The default body is female, but the Y chromosome produces a protein that masculinises the internal structure of the embryo while leaving the external structure female.

Thats a simplified over view.

Scanning the brain isn't the be-all and end-all it was once thought, but testosterone (via oestrogens, ironically), does affect the embryonic and foetal brain.

We always knew what a female was. If somebody wants to be one, who happens to not have the usual requirements, we can go along with it to be polite or civil. I would, particularly if they were polite and civil themselves.

You can see why scientists don't want to become involved. Sociologists don't count as scientists.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    I know less about golf than Sunak knows about the lives of non-billionaires but is a hole in one hard? If you play golf constantly decades on end, as the fat orange fucc boi clearly has, won't you get one eventually?
    I played golf for 50 years and with a handicap of 9 for most of it but did not achieve a hole in one

Several near misses, but I would also add I never played in a match with anyone who holed out in one during the match

Luck though is proportional to the number of acolytes accompanying you on course, apparently.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

I would expect the next Parliament to be either hung or a small conservative majority

Just listened to Kay Burley ask Angela Rayner can a woman have a penis ?

The world has gone mad

I was trying to think when the Trans issue got out of hand, and I think it is when they tried messing around with the language. I am happy to let anyone change their birth gender, it is up to that individual and should only be restricted
    One advantage of the question being asked now is that it will be possible to stop the question being asked come the election because the answer should be - I answered that in 2022 and nothing has changed.

But the actual question is there because there is no answer that works. The question has 2 possible answers both of which will seriously annoy x% of the population and as @NickPalmer points out any answer isn't going to help you as it's the same as two neighbours arguing over a neighbourhood issue - whatever you do will upset 1 person and not go far enough for the other 1.
    I think there are more votes to be won by being ostentatiously neutral - say ad nauseam that you don't want to get into the issue, sorry, and the next Government will not be legislating on the issue. Most people will approve, and the x% on both sides who don't will mostly in the end vote on other issues. So long as you keep message discipline, there comes a point when it's no longer fun for journalists to use up their quota of questions asking about it.
    The problem, is that it’s only an issue for certain political parties.

Whoever is the Conservative leader at the next election, they are likely to say that a woman is an adult human female, and wait for the other parties to tie themselves in knots trying to avoid quoting the dictionary definition of the word.
    The line I'd take to that is: "I let the Conservative leader pursue his preoccupation with sexual matters; I've no comment on any of them, and my concern is sorting the economy out and making people better off."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Scott_xP said:

Labour's @AngelaRayner: "The culture is set from the very top.

Which would explain why she doesn’t know whether women can have a penis….
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

FPT @StillWaters re people not reading past the headlines. Yes I agree, but they still become very aware once they realise there is an effective tax rate of 100% or more and a lot of Americans own shares or run businesses.

As neither of us have read the details I am wondering if it is rather more nuanced than this and is actually simply a tax avoidance measure aimed at the well off. Eg like when we got rid of B&B.

Something @HYUFD said late last night when I challenged the fact that he was getting capital and income mixed up. He referred to short term capital gains being taxed as income. That immediately rang alarm bells re the understanding of the measure. Firstly by definition you can't have an unrealised short term capital gain. If it is unrealised you don't know if it's short term or not yet, so what does that mean. However it is perfectly reasonable to treat short term realized capital gains as income. That would be normal practice here for instance if done on a very regular basis.

Not sure I can be bothered to read the details, but sounds like measures to stop avoidance to me.

Yes of course it is a tax rise aimed at the well off as that is what Democrats do as I originally said over 12 hours ago!
    Why not. It is interesting. I'm happy to discuss with @StillWaters who makes sensible post. Feel free to ignore. And it is a bit kettle and pot to complain about going on about it.

You have also completely misread my latest post. I don't know where you got your last post last night from but it was interesting because it raised the issue of it not being a tax rise but closing down tax avoidance.

To avoid pedentry, obviously closing down tax avoidance should raise more tax.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Oddly I have seen 15 hole in ones, including one at Celtic Manor which took 20 seconds from landing on the green to go into the hole 20 yeards away down a very slight incline.

• Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Er... pedantry. ;-)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    43m
    No 10 has said it will announce if/ when Boris Johnson is fined but Met statement suggests today’s referrals involve more straightforward cases.

Sources tell me the widely held view in Government is that PM’s case “has been left to the bottom of the pile” by police.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1508722115532541953
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

And in the case of Trump, almost certainly fictional?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

While the Russian Armed Forces re-prioritise, yes. But any coming assault on the JFO will likely involve CAS.
    WTF is JFO and CAS?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Luck though is proportional to the number of acolytes accompanying you on course, apparently.
    Over 50 years of playing golf there were but a small number of holes in one each year in our club
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

I would expect the next Parliament to be either hung or a small conservative majority

The world has gone mad

I was trying to think when the Trans issue got out of hand, and I think it is when they tried messing around with the language. I am happy to let anyone change their birth gender, it is up to that individual and should only be restricted
    One advantage of the question being asked now is that it will be possible to stop the question being asked come the election because the answer should be - I answered that in 2022 and nothing has changed.

But the actual question is there because there is no answer that works. The question has 2 possible answers both of which will seriously annoy x% of the population and as @NickPalmer points out any answer isn't going to help you as it's the same as two neighbours arguing over a neighbourhood issue - whatever you do will upset 1 person and not go far enough for the other 1.
    I think there are more votes to be won by being ostentatiously neutral - say ad nauseam that you don't want to get into the issue, sorry, and the next Government will not be legislating on the issue. Most people will approve, and the x% on both sides who don't will mostly in the end vote on other issues. So long as you keep message discipline, there comes a point when it's no longer fun for journalists to use up their quota of questions asking about it.

Whoever is the Conservative leader at the next election, they are likely to say that a woman is an adult human female, and wait for the other parties to tie themselves in knots trying to avoid quoting the dictionary definition of the word.
    The line I'd take to that is: "I let the Conservative leader pursue his preoccupation with sexual matters; I've no comment on any of them, and my concern is sorting the economy out and making people better off."
    That is a good reply, but it doesn't necessarily kill it off if the Tories bang on about it. This sort of tactic is not unknown by all parties and they have been known to work. I mean how many people thought the EU banned straight bananas?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At the moment after the boundary changes the Conservatives and Labour would be neck and neck on seats on current polls but with the Conservatives almost certainly having won most seats in England alone.

However Starmer would still likely become PM in a hung parliament if he can get SNP and LD support

There are a lot of seats where the Tories will have a first time incumbency bonus.
    Yes, though there's a decision to be made on boundary changes, which will help rural seats (good for the Tories) but reduce incumbency bonus.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    Holes in one are more common than generally perceived, in pre internet days there was a profitable betting hustle based on guys putting bets on in high street bookies all over the country based on a hole in one occurring in tournaments at misjudged prices.

Quelle surprise, Trump cheats at golf in any case.

https://golf.com/lifestyle/celebrities/how-why-president-trump-cheats-golf-playing-tiger-woods/
  • Options
    edited March 2022

DavidL said:

Anyway, from the previous thread. Regarding Covid we don't need to reinstate restrictions but we do need to ask people to think. Covid is everywhere again and even if it isn't a threat to long-term health or our lives for most of us, it's bloody inconvenient.

I'm on the train into that London from Gatwick and am one of very few in a mask. I'm not going to wear one all day - it'll be off on the communal office. But where it's no imposition and it reduces to very low my chance of catching it now why not wear a mask?

I'm way too busy to get Covid. So I wear a mask and think what I am doing. Others could do the same and we wouldn't have the quiet epidemic we are currently suffering.

The evidence that any of the surviving measures reduce the risk of getting Covid is, at best, mixed. Anecdotally, the current wave is catching those who haven't had it yet and even some who have. As the former includes both my wife and myself this is not great news. And I really don't think the virus cares how busy I am right now.
    A lot of people I know through extended family, mates, friends of friends, old work colleagues etc are coming down with this sub-variant. I've lost track of how times I have been told 'oh, by the way, so and so, has covid' in last three or four weeks.

Yes, 1 in 13, supposedly. Reporting is likely to become a problem, since we all know so many who've got it that it seems almost intrusive to mention it instead of quietly self-isolating for 10 days as instructed.

My office returns to part-time (2 days/week) in-office work this week, though I have colleagues who feel that will ismply lead to more and more people being off work altogether.
    Eldest Granddaughter did a test at the weekend. Positive. Did another, same day, very weak positive. However, messes up her planned week (uni, major social engagement)

Next day did another Negative. Did a check one. Weak positive. Feels fine.

Now she doesn't know what to do.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,555

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Given Trump has named several professional golfers as eye-witnesses...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

If Ernie Els backs it up, it's real. Let's see.

For now, I assume it's real. You get modest golfers who have had multiple holes-in-one at their local club. (Depends where the hole is cut that day too.

I'm happy for Trump to spend the rest of his days trying to emulate the feat....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

My Dad played golf for 40-odd years before getting a hole in one. 30 years after he started playing, my Mum took up the game and got two hole-in-ones in the first seven years she'd been playing.

There might be three or four holes in any round where it's reasonably possible to score a hole in one. A club player might get the ball in the right sort of area in one or two of these. After that, it's the roll of a dice - albeit probably a 500-sided dice.
  • Options

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    ·
    43m
    No 10 has said it will announce if/ when Boris Johnson is fined but Met statement suggests today’s referrals involve more straightforward cases.

Sources tell me the widely held view in Government is that PM’s case “has been left to the bottom of the pile” by police.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1508722115532541953

Sounds like they will use the fact that junior staff have received penalties, as the reason for sending them to the more senior staff and potentially ministers.

Which is why everyone needs to be told to challenge any and all FPNs.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Er... pedantry. ;-)
    Excellent. Really made me laugh. Some spelling mistakes are priceless.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Unpopular said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Follow up questions to that Con leader -

By female do you mean biological sex or legal gender?
    Biological sex.
    So to be a woman you must be born female?
    Yes.
    So why do we have a legal route to change gender if such a change is meaningless?

(Just to illustrate it's not *quite* such a slam dunk the other way as many seem to think.)
    Exactly! Gotcha questions like that really boil my piss. What it needs is a robust response on those lines.
    'Can a woman have a penis?'
    'Yes, of course they can, just as a man may have a vulva. It's well established scientifically that in some cases a person's gender is not reflected by their biological sex and there exist legal routes for people to live and be recognised as their preferred sex. While the rights of trans people require careful balancing against existing sex based protections in order to stop potential loopholes and abuse, a woman may have a penis. In my experience they tend not have one very often.'
    Sky news, having got their clip of me saying 'Yes of course' have already packed up their kit and begun the process of editing my rant.
    That's biologically illiterate. Your ranting about this subject is idiotic. Women can't have penises and men can't have vaginas. It's really no more complicated than that. A woman is an adult human female. Get that into your thick skull.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited March 2022

DavidL said:

Eldest Granddaughter did a test at the weekend. Positive. Did another, same day, very weak positive. However, messes up her planned week (uni, major social engagement)

Yes. The tests seem to be poor at picking up this variant.
    My brother and his family had a seemingly random sequence of positive, negative, back to positive again results, completely unrelated to symptoms.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Probably not

It should be remembered there are only 4 or 5 holes out of 18 that it is even possible
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    Holes in one are more common than generally perceived, in pre internet days there was a profitable betting hustle based on guys putting bets on in high street bookies all over the country based on a hole in one occurring in tournaments at misjudged prices.

Quelle surprise, Trump cheats at golf in any case.

https://golf.com/lifestyle/celebrities/how-why-president-trump-cheats-golf-playing-tiger-woods/
    Yep, a couple of punters worked out that for the average professional tournament (four rounds, 156 players, half make the cut after two rounds, four par-3 holes on the course) the odds of a hole in one are 5/4, a 44% chance.

https://www.hightechgambling.com/sport-betting/betting-hole-one-golf

A lot of bookies were offering silly odds of up to 100/1 for any given tournament, not understanding the true odds.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    CD13 said:

Gender/sex debate? The only people making it difficult are the sociologists looking for a purpose. I don't claim to be up with the latest research, but I did lecture briefly on an MSc course on Environmental Toxicology. My subject area was the basics of sexual differentiation.

There are male bodies, and there are female bodies. The intersex problems are extremely
    rare, and are caused by chromosomal or genetic mutations. Some are restricted to specific geographical locations.

Often the genetic cause is Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, (AIS) possibly responsible for no more than 1 in 20,000 XY births. That's a maximum figure. The androgen receptor on the X chromosome is partially or totally unresponsive to androgens. Despite the body having male levels of testosterone, it can, at worst (if worst is the correct word), be as much use as candy floss. The default body is female, but the Y chromosome produces a protein that masculinises the internal structure of the embryo while leaving the external structure female.

Scanning the brain isn't the be-all and end-all it was once thought, but testosterone (via oestrogens, ironically), does affect the embryonic and foetal brain.

We always knew what a female was. If somebody wants to be one, who happens to not have the usual requirements, we can go along with it to be polite or civil. I would, particularly if they were polite and civil themselves.

You can see why scientists don't want to become involved. Sociologists don't count as scientists.

Great post.

What I'm not clear about is whether those (say) former men now identifying as women (which is fine as far as I'm concerned in terms of gender) are also demanding that they are female - I mean are they equating women and female or are they accepting that despite being able to choose gender (man/woman) they cannot choose male/female? To put it another way, are they accepting the difference between gender and sex or are they - after demanding for years that gender is recognised as a separate term to sex! - now back-tracking and diluting the term "gender" to mean the same as sex?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Cyclefree said:

I don't believe this claim that Starmer can't give an answer on the trans/womens issue that will satisfy most people.

Here is an answer which is both legally and scientifically correct.

"Females (the female sex) do not have penises. Only the male sex does. There are some men who have gender dysphoria and who get a Gender Recognition Certificate. Legally, they are treated as women for most (though not all) purposes and since the majority do not surgically transition there are people who are legally women who have penises (but who remain of the male sex). In the same way, in the opposite direction, there are women who transition to men who remain biologically female. This is important to realise because it affects the health care they will need since some diseases are correlated to your biological sex.

We think it right that people with gender dysphoria should be allowed to have a GRC in order to live their lives freely as the gender they believe themselves to be. But we also believe that in doing so this must not limit or diminish the sex-based rights of others. So, since sex cannot be changed and given the importance of combating sex-based oppression, discrimination and violence, particularly against women and girls, we will not be making any changes to the sex-based characteristics or exemptions in the Equality Act.

We will be looking to see how we can improve medical care and support for people with gender dysphoria since current delays are unacceptable. We will not be removing the requirement for a medical diagnosis because it is important that people do get good quality care and that the GRA is not misused by those who are not dysphoric.

Finally, those who attack or threaten women or transpeople or who use vile, vicious language against them, who try to shut them down or abuse them are beyond the pale and do not belong in this party."

There.That wasn't so hard. Issue a statement like that and a lot of the questions go away. It is a policy which the vast majority can get behind.

That's all Starmer has to do. He either can't or won't. Why?

You really think he gets the time to say that on a TV interview? Wow.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I don't believe this claim that Starmer can't give an answer on the trans/womens issue that will satisfy most people.

"Females (the female sex) do not have penises. Only the male sex does. There are some men who have gender dysphoria and who get a Gender Recognition Certificate. Legally, they are treated as women for most (though not all) purposes and since the majority do not surgically transition there are people who are legally women who have penises (but who remain of the male sex). In the same way, in the opposite direction, there are women who transition to men who remain biologically female. This is important to realise because it affects the health care they will need since some diseases are correlated to your biological sex.

We think it right that people with gender dysphoria should be allowed to have a GRC in order to live their lives freely as the gender they believe themselves to be. But we also believe that in doing so this must not limit or diminish the sex-based rights of others. So, since sex cannot be changed and given the importance of combating sex-based oppression, discrimination and violence, particularly against women and girls, we will not be making any changes to the sex-based characteristics or exemptions in the Equality Act.

We will be looking to see how we can improve medical care and support for people with gender dysphoria since current delays are unacceptable. We will not be removing the requirement for a medical diagnosis because it is important that people do get good quality care and that the GRA is not misused by those who are not dysphoric.

Finally, those who attack or threaten women or transpeople or who use vile, vicious language against them, who try to shut them down or abuse them are beyond the pale and do not belong in this party."

There.That wasn't so hard. Issue a statement like that and a lot of the questions go away. It is a policy which the vast majority can get behind.

Absolutely nails it
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Cyclefree said:

I'm with you on this issue, but when you say "Females (the female sex) do not have penises. Only the male sex does. There are some men who have gender dysphoria and who get a Gender Recognition Certificate. Legally, they are treated as women for most (though not all) purposes ..." can you not see that you are merging sexual terms with gender terms (like virtually everyone else is)? To see this issue clearly I think you must treat sex and gender as separate things the former being about reality and the latter about identity.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

DavidL said:

Simple. Just stop testing and go and live life as we all used to pre covid.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,555
    OT my poll card for the locals has arrived.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Or that 90% listen. They just see headlines.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

CD13 said:

Great post.

What I'm not clear about is whether those (say) former men now identifying as women (which is fine as far as I'm concerned in terms of gender) are also demanding that they are female - I mean are they equating women and female or are they accepting that despite being able to choose gender (man/woman) they cannot choose male/female? To put it another way, are they accepting the difference between gender and sex or are they - after demanding for years that gender is recognised as a separate term to sex! - now back-tracking and diluting the term "gender" to mean the same as sex?
    AIUI the argument now is that “gender” is real and what matters and “sex” is just something recorded when you were born and but a detail. Gender trumps sex. Always.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

My brother and his family had a seemingly random sequence of positive, negative, back to positive again results, completely unrelated to symptoms.
    Thanks Mr D. Her problem is that she's on a Uni course where she's supposed to be 'in' in at least the early part of this week, then she's due to be a bridesmaid at the end of it. The wedding has already been disrupted two or three times.
    She feels fine, and has done for weeks.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

That is a good reply, but it doesn't necessarily kill it off if the Tories bang on about it. This sort of tactic is not unknown by all parties and they have been known to work. I mean how many people thought the EU banned straight bananas?
    CCHQ will play this like they did Corbyn in the last election: targeted, below-the-radar social media messaging to voters previously identified as susceptible. Likewise the Savile smear. Labour can't react because they will not know they need to react (under the radar, remember) or where to address any refutation.
    I get that.
    The issue for me is why is it assumed only the Tories can play that game? It isn't great, but there are plenty of issues that could be raised the other way.
    Do Labour have a plan for this? If not, why not?
    Two elections are rarely the same.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

You know why. His activists would react to that like he'd said trans people need to be rounded up and executed.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,307
    Cookie said:

I know someone post all the links to all the unherd articles every day and everyone who is interested will already have read it, but this is fun on the ADHD of the modern news cycle:
    https://unherd.com/thepost/why-the-will-smith-slap-is-good-news/

“The debate over that slap and the joke and the apology is gonna consume the next three weeks of discourse” tweeted the Rolling Stone writer Brian Hiatt. “You’re gonna hear takes you can’t even imagine yet.”

Hiatt is right, with the exception of one detail: it won’t be three weeks, it will be more like three days. The ADHD news cycle could barely manage three weeks of sustained attention in response to the greatest security crisis in Europe since the Second World War. The Russian invasion of Ukraine began just four and a half weeks ago, and already is beginning to slip down the ‘top stories’ and ‘trending’ lists generated by news and social media platforms. This morning, 80% of the stories recommended to me by Twitter related to the Will Smith slap while news of ongoing Russian and Ukrainian negotiations barely feature.

Here’s a take that satisfies both.

https://twitter.com/matthewdancona/status/1508404748361285632?s=21&t=U6cEp-XO4lte1hF1CRX_8w
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

That would be a very sensible answer Nick were it not for the fact that Labour are proposing to legislate on the issue.

If they are going to legislate then they should be able to explain clearly why, what mischief the new legislation is intended to address and how exactly they propose to preserve the sex-based rights contained in the Equality Act. They can do none of these things but come out with tortured nonsensical language which suggests that either they don't understand the issue and/or are trying to hide something. Neither of these positions are likely to engender trust.

I have suggested upthread an answer. Why can't Labour say that?

My view is that it is because they have been captured by the Stonewall brigade, do intend replacing sex with gender and are trying to hide the fact that this will inevitable adversely impact existing rights for women.

Maybe I am wrong on this. But every time a Labour politician opens their mouth on this question that is the clear impression they give and I have been following this quite closely now for some time.

I simply do not trust Labour to protect my current sex-based rights. I am not the only woman who feels that way though I know that other women take a different view. Still it ought to worry Labour. Despite disliking pretty much everything about Boris I found myself inwardly cheering when he said last week at PMQ's that biology matters when it comes to the differences between men and women.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Biological sex.
    Yes.
    So why do we have a legal route to change gender if such a change is meaningless?

(Just to illustrate it's not *quite* such a slam dunk the other way as many seem to think.)
    It’s about keeping sexually functional penises out of womens refuges and prisons.

For the very few people who want to transition, there is a long medical process to go through.
    It's about how this hypothetical Tory leader is going to handle the "what is a woman?" question in a GE campaign.

Assuming that's how they reply, the interview continues -

"So is it Conservative policy to make a change of gender subject to radical surgery?"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Thanks Mr D. Her problem is that she's on a Uni course where she's supposed to be 'in' in at least the early part of this week, then she's due to be a bridesmaid at the end of it. The wedding has already been disrupted two or three times.
    She feels fine, and has done for weeks.
    Yes. It isn't great just now. My brother is on a new job on a probationary basis where he is entitled to only 2 sick days. He took one because he was genuinely unwell for a day, then didn't know what he ought to be doing for the best.
    It's the uncertainty that makes it difficult.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

CCHQ will play this like they did Corbyn in the last election: targeted, below-the-radar social media messaging to voters previously identified as susceptible. Likewise the Savile smear. Labour can't react because they will not know they need to react (under the radar, remember) or where to address any refutation.
    I get that.
    The issue for me is why is it assumed only the Tories can play that game? It isn't great, but there are plenty of issues that could be raised the other way.
    Given that, inter alia, Johnson has said that he wants the 2028 European football tournament to be played in both Britain and Ukraine, you would have thought there was plenty of opportunity.

Edited to correct.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

That would be a very sensible answer Nick were it not for the fact that Labour are proposing to legislate on the issue.

If they are going to legislate then they should be able to explain clearly why, what mischief the new legislation is intended to address and how exactly they propose to preserve the sex-based rights contained in the Equality Act. They can do none of these things but come out with tortured nonsensical language which suggests that either they don't understand the issue and/or are trying to hide something. Neither of these positions are likely to engender trust.

My view is that it is because they have been captured by the Stonewall brigade, do intend replacing sex with gender and are trying to hide the fact that this will inevitable adversely impact existing rights for women.

Maybe I am wrong on this. But every time a Labour politician opens their mouth on this question that is the clear impression they give and I have been following this quite closely now for some time.

I simply do not trust Labour to protect my current sex-based rights. I am not the only woman who feels that way though I know that other women take a different view. Still it ought to worry Labour. Despite disliking pretty much everything about Boris I found myself inwardly cheering when he said last week at PMQ's that biology matters when it comes to the differences between men and women.
    Apparently Mums net of all people came out with 'We are all Boris now'
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

I get that.
    it is an appalling indictment of our politics (and unfortunately true) that we just make up policies about our opponents rather than fight them on their real policies.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

What does that mean Big G?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Did you miss the bit where I said "Issue a statement"? Then he and every other Labour politician refers to it - "The party's position is set out in that statement. I have nothing further to add. Next question..... "
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

DavidL said:

All the same kids in my daughter's class are getting it again, apparently in the order they had it last time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Question - do Lia Thomas the swimmer and Laurel Hubbard the weightlifter have penises? (penes?)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

The world has gone mad

The world has moved on and increasingly comprehends the complexities and nuance of gender, sex and language.
    Perhaps you can educate:

- Is gender more important than sex in deciding access to services?
    - What is a "she-cock" and does it belong in women's prisons or refuges?
    - Is a Lesbian who refuses to suck a "she-cock" a homophobe?

Interested in your thoughts. And reasoning.
    I certainly would never presume to tell women that they must accept some bearded brute with a cock as one of their number.
    That's quite a muscular framing of the debate, Sean.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

What it says

Mumsnet post were pro Boris on the issue
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Checking on the publication rules about fixed penalties I came across the following in an artice.

"Other legislation coming into effect includes the introduction of mandatory speed limiters on all production cars produced from July 2022. These limiters will use GPS data or traffic sign recognition technology to determine the speed limit of the road you’re on and stop you from exceeding it."

Anyone else heard of this legislation?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    edited March 2022

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Yes. As a male in my 40s I expect I'd be seeing a lot of stuff on social media adverts about this during an election campaign.

Social media advertising has been a toxic development in our politics.
  • Options
    kjh said:

dixiedean said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

I get that.
    it is an appalling indictment of our politics (and unfortunately true) that we just make up policies about our opponents rather than fight them on their real policies.
    Oh indeed.
    However. You can't cede one area of campaigning, however sub-optimal, to your opponents. I'd prefer no micro-targetting at all. But it can't happen.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Clearly nothing should be even contemplated which places women at risk. If women wish to, for example, join the Armed Forces, then that's up to them, and a matter for military discipline. Otherwise no, no increasing of risk.
  • Options

kjh said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

What it says

Mumsnet post were pro Boris on the issue
    Cheers. Really didn't get it. So as I suggested banging on about it works.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Did you miss the bit where I said "Issue a statement"? Then he and every other Labour politician refers to it - "The party's position is set out in that statement. I have nothing further to add. Next question..... "
    Personally, I don't think that would work politically from a presentation point of view, and imagine the Labour leadership feel the same. It would still be an open wound to attack for interviewers, and over time, repeated avoidance of discussion would not be enough from one side of the debate, who would still feel him to be evasive in interviews, and at the same time piss off others on the other side of the debate.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm with you on this issue, but when you say "Females (the female sex) do not have penises. Only the male sex does. There are some men who have gender dysphoria and who get a Gender Recognition Certificate. Legally, they are treated as women for most (though not all) purposes ..." can you not see that you are merging sexual terms with gender terms (like virtually everyone else is)? To see this issue clearly I think you must treat sex and gender as separate things the former being about reality and the latter about identity.
    I am not. That is why I make the distinction between being of the male sex but being treated legally as a woman (gender). Sex cannot be changed and is real. I have no idea what gender is. But some people have dysphoria and need to be treated accordingly.

Everyone else who talks about non-binary etc is either talking about personality or fetishes or whatever. It is of no interest to me whatsoever and should have no legal consequences. People can describe themselves how they want. But they are not entitled to bully others into agreeing with their own self-identification. I will come to my own view of people and describe them in my own words.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Yes, I agree with the header possibly 260-280 seats for Labour. Winning back most of the seats they lost in 2019 (apart from a few like Bassetlaw and Dudley N) plus some additional seats in North (particularly West Yorkshire) and South.

Labour ending up 2% behind like 2017 would still represent the same swing Cameron got in 2010.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

You know why. His activists would react to that like he'd said trans people need to be rounded up and executed.
    If so, he's a coward and unfit to be leader let alone PM.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Question - do Lia Thomas the swimmer and Laurel Hubbard the weightlifter have penises? (penes?)
    Thomas certainly does according to other females swimmers who they have competed against.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    Stocky said:

CD13 said:

Great post.

Seems to be the latter - for example there was someone celebrating that they'd received a (pointless) cervical smear appointment letter, because it was a sign that they were being treated as a woman, despite not being female.

I thought the point of recognising gender as different to sex was that all the things we put in gender were human-created, and so not fixed and immutable, and so your didn't have to abide by gender roles. But if you can change gender then it suggests these are separate categories that represent meaningful differences.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

I think there was plenty "above the radar" about Corbyn for voters to realise he was unsuitable as PM. Obviously many of us could also see that Johnson was unsuitable, but he was less unsuitable than Corbyn
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Personally, I don't think that would work politically from a presentation point of view, and imagine the Labour leadership feel the same. It would still be an open wound to attack for interviewers, and over time, repeated avoidance of discussion would not be enough from one side of the debate, who would still feel him to be evasive in interviews, and at the same time piss off others on the other side of the debate.
    I don't think that's the reason. It's because they are in hock to the TRA's but don't want to admit it. See my response to @NickPalmer.
  • Options
    Huw Edwards BBC1 on Prince Philip’s Remembrance Service says Queen is expected to attend.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Biological sex.
    Yes.

Exactly! Gotcha questions like that really boil my piss. What it needs is a robust response on those lines.
    'Can a woman have a penis?'
    'Yes, of course they can, just as a man may have a vulva. It's well established scientifically that in some cases a person's gender is not reflected by their biological sex and there exist legal routes for people to live and be recognised as their preferred sex. While the rights of trans people require careful balancing against existing sex based protections in order to stop potential loopholes and abuse, a woman may have a penis. In my experience they tend not have one very often.'
    Sky news, having got their clip of me saying 'Yes of course' have already packed up their kit and begun the process of editing my rant.
    Yep there's a lot of bad faith comms around this one.

I'm happy with either "adult human female" or (my pref) "adult of the female gender" as an answer but the question is being set as a trap for Labour atm and my point is to show how it can also be set as a trap for the Tories.

It's probably a good issue for them, the Tories, but it's not risk free.
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

Checking on the publication rules about fixed penalties I came across the following in an artice.

"Other legislation coming into effect includes the introduction of mandatory speed limiters on all production cars produced from July 2022. These limiters will use GPS data or traffic sign recognition technology to determine the speed limit of the road you’re on and stop you from exceeding it."

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/speed-limiters-mandatory-on-new-cars
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    CD13 said:

Slight correction to your "extremely rare" - about 1.7% of the population are intersex. Obviously, social norms mean that most intersex people live as their sex-assigned-at-birth.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Clearly nothing should be even contemplated which places women at risk. If women wish to, for example, join the Armed Forces, then that's up to them, and a matter for military discipline. Otherwise no, no increasing of risk.
    The current Scottish government's proposed Bill will put women at risk and will affect women in this country. Labour support it in Scotland. So yes they do support increasing risk for women.
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

Don't worry, Dura Ace will know a bloke who can bypass it....
  • Options

Stocky said:

CD13 said:

Great post.

Seems to be the latter - for example there was someone celebrating that they'd received a (pointless) cervical smear appointment letter, because it was a sign that they were being treated as a woman, despite not being female.

I thought the point of recognising gender as different to sex was that all the things we put in gender were human-created, and so not fixed and immutable, and so your didn't have to abide by gender roles. But if you can change gender then it suggests these are separate categories that represent meaningful differences.
    Quite a few trans women claim to have periods as well.

Although it really isn’t physically possible. But to point that out invites a deluge of abuse from TRA’s
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Stocky said:

CD13 said:

Great post.

AIUI the argument now is that “gender” is real and what matters and “sex” is just something recorded when you were born and but a detail. Gender trumps sex. Always.
    Yes, this idea that sex is "assigned" at birth, implying that it is completely arbitrary, is totally unscientific.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think that's the reason. It's because they are in hock to the TRA's but don't want to admit it. See my response to @NickPalmer.
    When people feel strongly about an issue they often end up with a "with us or against us" attitude and both "sides" of this debate seem to have taken that. There are plenty of us in the middle ground who are not on either side, for a whole range of reasons.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Cyclefree said:

I felt like I was stood next to Colin Robinson while reading that.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:
    It's hard, most golfers never manage one, mine in Sep last year was such a thrill, but I wouldn't believe Trump got one unless I saw it with my own eyes - he's known for cheating at golf.
  • Options
    The Russian Foreign Ministry claims that the #US and its allies launched a "massive cyber campaign" against #Russia, with hundreds of thousands of attacks every day. Russia warns that will have "grave consequences"

According to the ministry the army of "cyber mercenaries operating against Russia" are given "combat missions" which border on "terrorism"

[preparing the ground for a cyber attack against the US?]

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1508738959991529475

• Options
    Why do people write such Apprentice-style self-aggrandising guff on their CVs? No you are not "An inspirational commercial leader with [ ] a sharp eye for detail" - you're coming to the headhunter saying the last 2 moves you made were shit and you want to backtrack and get some stability having fucked up your career path.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cyclefree said:

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

If so, he's a coward and unfit to be leader let alone PM.
    Yep.

By the way, this sort of thing is why people like me say they could only ever vote conservative - because, no matter how awful the Tories look, and no matter how reasonable and competent the Labour front bench looks, the party is -at the end of the day - led by its members. And a significant proportion of those members are complete lunatics.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

The former certainly does, is still sexually attracted to women, dates them, displays their body in the womens changing room and has, according to reports by team mates, made them feel uncomfortable but still does so.

I don't believe Hubbard has surgically transitioned either. Something like 80-90% of people with gender dysphoria don't surgically transition, AIUI.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

IMHO, it's about 50/50 whether the Conservatives win the next election. The voters are remarkably forgiving, and Boris has got two big calls right - Covid and Ukraine.

I think there is a more than 50% chance the Conservatives win most seats or even a majority in England on current polls after the boundary changes. Yet also a more than 50% chance Starmer becomes UK PM with SNP support
    I'd say something like 35-40% chance of a Tory majority and 50% chance of the Tories remaining in power. Tories heavily favoured to retain most seats although I personally think they'll struggle to get more than 300 under any leader unless Johnson or his potential successor is 10%+ ahead as best PM making direct comparisons with 2017.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

There are two levels of this for all parties. Knockabout, in which people contest for gotcha moments and wokery positions.

The other level is: What is the current UK law on sex, gender and what is and is not allowed in medical, practical and moral arrangements; and what ways would your party change it/keep it the same/reverse it.

That second level is quite hard. Few politicians could even tell you the present state of law and practice.
    That is exactly right.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

CD13 said:

Slight correction to your "extremely rare" - about 1.7% of the population are intersex. Obviously, social norms mean that most intersex people live as their sex-assigned-at-birth.
    That figure seems surprisingly high. I'd be less surprised if it's a figure which has been artificially inflated by the trans lobby.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,461
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Biological sex.
    Yes.

It’s about keeping sexually functional penises out of womens refuges and prisons.

For the very few people who want to transition, there is a long medical process to go through.
    It's about how this hypothetical Tory leader is going to handle the "what is a woman?" question in a GE campaign.

"So is it Conservative policy to make a change of gender subject to radical surgery?"
    You're fighting heuristics. Short of sitting retirees down for an hour or two on gender studies Labour are going to loose the argument.

• Options

Stocky said:

CD13 said:

Great post.

There were also trans women reacting aggressively to being sent cervical smear letters, saying that they don’t need them so why are they being sent out at all?

No matter what public health authorities do, there will be a screaming bunch of activists saying they are doing it wrong.

https://www.politicalite.com/dumb-lefties-alert/trans-nh-mess-cash-strapped-nhs-give-transgender-women-smear-tests-avoid-gender-dysphoria/
  • Options

The Russian Foreign Ministry claims that the #US and its allies launched a "massive cyber campaign" against #Russia, with hundreds of thousands of attacks every day. Russia warns that will have "grave consequences"

According to the ministry the army of "cyber mercenaries operating against Russia" are given "combat missions" which border on "terrorism"

[preparing the ground for a cyber attack against the US?]

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1508738959991529475

Trying to avoid discussion of why a large telecom company and ISP in Ukraine got attacked yesterday?

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/03/28/2242251/ukrainian-telecom-companys-internet-service-disrupted-by-powerful-cyberattack
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

Biological sex.
    Yes.

To which the answer is "No - just a medical diagnosis of dysphoria and we will speed up the time to get that." Or "No - the current position is a fair balance between the right of those with dysphoria and others."

BTW have you yet noticed that that report you keep banging on about got it fundamentally wrong when it said that those wishing to change gender had to go before a panel and that this was degrading. There is no such panel. It is all done on paper.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Good morning

The world has gone mad

The former certainly does, is still sexually attracted to women, dates them, displays their body in the womens changing room and has, according to reports by team mates, made them feel uncomfortable but still does so.

I don't believe Hubbard has surgically transitioned either. Something like 80-90% of people with gender dysphoria don't surgically transition, AIUI.
    Well then the situation is even more ridiculous than I had thought. I had thought they had had the appropriate surgery but still, understandably, retained a male shape, and that that was what the controversy was about. I had felt vaguely guilty about the thought 'that's a man in a woman's swimming costume'. But it turns out that's exactly the situation.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    The Met Police have today confirmed that Number 10 broke the Covid rules, and have issued 20 fixed penalty fines. This seems an appropriate moment to remind ourselves of seven occasions when Boris Johnson flatly denied that Number 10 broke the Covid rules. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/11/seven-occasions-when-boris-johnson-denied-no-10-broke-covid-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
This discussion has been closed.