Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who’ll come out of May 5th best – Johnson or Starmer? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

A question for historians will be whether Brexit might have been less shit if the man charged with "getting it done" wasn't such a buffoon.

Without BoZo there might be no Brexit.

Without BoZo it might have been better.

Without Bozo there would still have been Brexit. His part is far overplayed by his acolytes and his opponents.
    Correct. It was Nigel Farage who really delivered Brexit. He brought his xenophobes along to join up with the perfectly reasonable we want to be able to raise VAT on home energy supplies thoughtful, considered Brexiters and together they all marched victoriously over the winning line.
    We were always going to win when faced with the 'we don't care about democracy , just let Brussels tell us what to do' mob.

You see making sweeping statements which bear only the faintest of relationships to reality is quite easy when you get the hang of it. But then you already knew that as it is your style of argument on most matters.
    Now Richard let's see if you can hold it together in a discussion with me; not always possible I have noted.

I don't think anyone can query Nigel Farage's pivotal role, over the course of several decades, in bringing about Brexit. I have often said that for this reason he must rank amongst the most successful politicians of our generation.

I know you don't like it because you are a come all ye kind of guy wrt immigration (as evidenced by your fantastic gesture in offering to house Ukranian refugees) but it was Farage who convinced or stoked up many people about immigration and then explained that by voting Brexit they would solve the problem.

That decent I want to zero rate VAT on home energy supplies Brexiters like yourself were on the same side as him is of course an embarrassment but I'm sure you will agree that the end result justified the means. Like sausages, the making of which being not something one should examine too closely.
    Nigel Farage has been one of the most successful politicians of our time. A statement I make knowing he was never elected to parliament and that I hate his politics.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    In other news I was interested to read private funding of nuclear fusion projects has overtaken public funding. I wonder whether the smaller fusion power projects will actually achieve a net energy gain much faster than the lumbering projects like Iter. Private money seems to be pouring in and I think that's a good sign.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit has already significantly dented the underlying GDP growth rate, and foreign direct investment.

Although this has been masked, first by Covid, and now by supply shocks relating to the Ukraine war, it’s still there - like rust underneath the surface.

When Britain is once again the sick man of Europe, the "winners" of the referendum will be whining that the EU are making use of free trade and free movement to gain a competitive advantage against us...
    Britain is already the sick man of Europe.
    Again, it’s hidden because the day to day news is about the latest thing rather than long-term trends.

The other thing is that old people - the bedrock of the Brexit vote - are less likely to notice the impact because they don’t work and house prices have continued to rise.

We were told by Remainers - quite gleefully - that the City of London would wither on the vine, eclipsed by Paris and Frankfurt.

Hur hur hur.....
    I notice your posts often take a strange gloating style. It is quite odd and says more about you than anything else.

I think most analysts expected some loss of business from London, with the business going to various places - New York as well as some European cities.

I don’t remember anyone predicting - let alone “gleefully” - that London would be eclipsed.

Not that any city has a monopoly on such things, look at what the Chinese are doing to HK’s status as an entrepôt.
    If you don't remember it then you do have a very selective memory. These pages were filled with claims that it would be the end of the City and that would be a disaster for the country - often by people who had spent years previously claiming that the City was some terrible evil that needed to be brought to heel as it was a disaster for the country.
    Personally, I was hoping for the City to decamp somewhere else, and have been very disappointed by its failure to do so. The UK is far too dependent on financial services, and too many of the best mathematical, engineering and scientific brains end up there. Much better if they were to find themselves in industry instead.
    Let’s assume it is the case that the UK is too dependent on financial services (I agree).

Is the answer to impair the financial industry, or encourage counterbalancing sectors elsewhere?

And in what sense does Brexit really help?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit has already significantly dented the underlying GDP growth rate, and foreign direct investment.

Although this has been masked, first by Covid, and now by supply shocks relating to the Ukraine war, it’s still there - like rust underneath the surface.

When Britain is once again the sick man of Europe, the "winners" of the referendum will be whining that the EU are making use of free trade and free movement to gain a competitive advantage against us...
    Again, it’s hidden because the day to day news is about the latest thing rather than long-term trends.

The other thing is that old people - the bedrock of the Brexit vote - are less likely to notice the impact because they don’t work and house prices have continued to rise.

We were told by Remainers - quite gleefully - that the City of London would wither on the vine, eclipsed by Paris and Frankfurt.

Hur hur hur.....
    I notice your posts often take a strange gloating style. It is quite odd and says more about you than anything else.

I think most analysts expected some loss of business from London, with the business going to various places - New York as well as some European cities.

I don’t remember anyone predicting - let alone “gleefully” - that London would be eclipsed.

Not that any city has a monopoly on such things, look at what the Chinese are doing to HK’s status as an entrepôt.
    If you don't remember it then you do have a very selective memory. These pages were filled with claims that it would be the end of the City and that would be a disaster for the country - often by people who had spent years previously claiming that the City was some terrible evil that needed to be brought to heel as it was a disaster for the country.
    Personally, I was hoping for the City to decamp somewhere else, and have been very disappointed by its failure to do so. The UK is far too dependent on financial services, and too many of the best mathematical, engineering and scientific brains end up there. Much better if they were to find themselves in industry instead.
    FS is an area where the UK has comparative advantage (still does, despite the regulatory complexity Brexit has left us with). Plus it's an industry which continues to import much of its talent - I am sceptical how much of the UK graduate base is deflected from a career in science by the lure of the city. The French, Italian, Dutch and Spanish graduate bases perhaps.

We are still a pretty diversified economy with strong life sciences, engineering, tech and other industries and while it does make sense to continue to try to diversify more I'm not sure the shock therapy of dismantling one of our success stories is the way to do it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Brexiters also I believe underrate the effect of Brexit on the political culture.

Again, hard to quantify, but the UK is a more polarised country than before the Brexit vote, and the quality of governance has also declined.

(This is genie-out-of-the-bottle stuff. Rejoining the EU doesn’t fix this, and could even make it worse).

The inevitable conclusion of your argument is that no-one should ever argue for any form of change because of the fear that those who don't like it will get upset and retaliate.

Everything in politics is polarising. And the EU was only ever about politics in the end.
    No, your taking what is an observation to an absurd end. You’re also missing the point about governance quality.
    But your observation to which I was replying is, in itself, absurd.
    I merely pointed out that the UK is more polarised.

All great projects, as you point out, are polarising. Anti-slavery, women’s suffrage etc.
    The problem is, Brexit doesn’t quite have the moral quality of those struggles.

I sense that you are troubled by that, and seek to obfuscate it with rhetorical games.
    Nah, I just don't care. So I am having fun with people and puncturing a few balloons. I genuinely forget how old you are so this is in no way meant as a put down but my formative years were filled with political and economic conflict culminating in the miners strikes and the Poll tax riots. The idea that the low level grumbling we see now is in anyway comparable to something like the Battle of the Bean Field or Orgreave just strikes me as rather daft.
  • Options

Brexiters also I believe underrate the effect of Brexit on the political culture.

Again, hard to quantify, but the UK is a more polarised country than before the Brexit vote, and the quality of governance has also declined.

(This is genie-out-of-the-bottle stuff. Rejoining the EU doesn’t fix this, and could even make it worse).

The inevitable conclusion of your argument is that no-one should ever argue for any form of change because of the fear that those who don't like it will get upset and retaliate.

Everything in politics is polarising. And the EU was only ever about politics in the end.
    No, your taking what is an observation to an absurd end. You’re also missing the point about governance quality.

All great projects, as you point out, are polarising. Anti-slavery, women’s suffrage etc.

I sense that you are troubled by that, and seek to obfuscate it with rhetorical games.
    Nah, I just don't care. So I am having fun with people and puncturing a few balloons. I genuinely forget how old you are so this is in no way meant as a put down but my formative years were filled with political and economic conflict culminating in the miners strikes and the Poll tax riots. The idea that the low level grumbling we see now is in anyway comparable to something like the Battle of the Bean Field or Orgreave just strikes me as rather daft.
    I’ve never even heard of the Battle or Bean Field which perhaps proves your point…
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568

Cookie said:

Leon said:

FPT: Leon said:
    » show previous quotes
    "If we had the Brexit vote again, I would vote much more emphatically to LEAVE, and with none of the havering and 50/50 quavering of last time. I might even do it with "delight"

I'm afraid we exist. The Leavers who feel vindicated."

Except you haven't been (vindicated) and that is why you bang on about it ad nauseum. You know it is shit and pointless, and you keep coming on here in the hope you might convince yourself. You are suffering from sub conscious "repetition compulsion" in a desire to gain "illusory truth effect".

Leon, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, you still know in your heart of hearts it was fucking pointless.

Sigh

There's not much more I can do than be honest. I would vote LEAVE again, and with much greater enthusiasm

Why?

Because last time I was genuinely very doubtful; I was worried about the impact on the UK economy; I was personally worried about the impact on London property prices (my main asset)

Any economic impact has been utterly dwarfed by the pandemic, making me much more relaxed about the comparatively trivial GDP hit of Brexit; London property has since had to weather a much fiercer storm - again, the pandemic - but seems to be doing fine now. Indeed London has a buzz at the moment (of course war and inflationary armageddon might ruin that, but that ain't Brexit)

Meanwhile the grotesque behaviour of the EU, the Commission etc over our exit and then other stuff like the vaccines, literally trying to smear UK vaccines out of spite because Brexit, and the general behaviour of Remoaners in the UK (trying to cancel democracy) and the eurocrats in Brussels (trying to thwart our departure) tells me that Leave is on the side of the angels, and that no sane country able to fend for itself would want to be in the non-democratic EU

And the war shows me that democracy really is the best bulwark against autocracy

So that's why I would vote Leave with a confident smile, rather than a nervous gulp

The one big thing I regret is loss of Freedom of Movement. I hope one day we can find a new accommodation which restores it in some qualified form, for the benefit of all Brits AND Europeans

There. Now you can believe me or not, but that is what I think
    It is a good essay, but I still sense you are trying to convince yourself, and maybe you are almost there. When I see you no longer post on the subject I will accept that the strategy of repetition compulsion (it is a somewhat disputed psychological phenomena) does work. The majority of the British public will still be a majority believing we were conned, but knowing we have to get on with it anyway, but perhaps they might consider a way of ensuring some sort of retribution on those that perpetrated the con.
    I don't feel any need to go on about it. But when Remainers make the implication that Leavers would not now vote Leave, I do occasionally feel the need to pipe up that yes, I would still vote Leave knowing now what I knew then, for the reasons Leon sets out - not least the vaccines debacle.
    And yes, I'd like Brexit to work better. But let's not kid ourselves that membership worked perfectly either.
    I voted remain because I thought it would all be a shambles.
    I’d vote leave if asked again because it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
    Fckn hell, how bad did you think it would be, global pandemic and brink of nuclear armageddon bad?
    We were warned about the loss of trade, queues at the border, the collapse in the £, about losing our place on the world stage; we were even warned about World War Three. But Project Fear never went as far as predicting global plague!
  • Options
    On the City, what I've noticed is that it's the default option for smart people who don't like what they were doing in their previous industry, whether that's engineering, science or anything else. I was a software developer working 60-80h per week before I left for a City career where I worked the same 60-80 hour week but at least got paid well for my time.

I don't think it is a big lure for people who enjoy what they do and I'm not sure losing disinterested engineers or scientists from those fields to the City is really a huge deal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

A question for historians will be whether Brexit might have been less shit if the man charged with "getting it done" wasn't such a buffoon.

Without Bozo there would still have been Brexit. His part is far overplayed by his acolytes and his opponents.
    Correct. It was Nigel Farage who really delivered Brexit. He brought his xenophobes along to join up with the perfectly reasonable we want to be able to raise VAT on home energy supplies thoughtful, considered Brexiters and together they all marched victoriously over the winning line.
    We were always going to win when faced with the 'we don't care about democracy , just let Brussels tell us what to do' mob.

You see making sweeping statements which bear only the faintest of relationships to reality is quite easy when you get the hang of it. But then you already knew that as it is your style of argument on most matters.
    Now Richard let's see if you can hold it together in a discussion with me; not always possible I have noted.

I don't think anyone can query Nigel Farage's pivotal role, over the course of several decades, in bringing about Brexit. I have often said that for this reason he must rank amongst the most successful politicians of our generation.

I know you don't like it because you are a come all ye kind of guy wrt immigration (as evidenced by your fantastic gesture in offering to house Ukranian refugees) but it was Farage who convinced or stoked up many people about immigration and then explained that by voting Brexit they would solve the problem.

That decent I want to zero rate VAT on home energy supplies Brexiters like yourself were on the same side as him is of course an embarrassment but I'm sure you will agree that the end result justified the means. Like sausages, the making of which being not something one should examine too closely.
    Another one with a very selective memory. I spent many happy hours on here both before and after the referendum arguing that whilst Farage had been pivotal in getting the referendum, once it had been secured he was nothing but a liability to the campaign to actually win it. Indeed I included such an argument in at least one of the headers I wrote prior to the vote. Of course that doesn't sit well with your rather selective narrative.

I was in no way embarrassed to be on the same side as him any more than Churchill was embarrassed to be on the same side as Stalin or you were embarrassed to be on the same side as Neil Kinnock and Sinn Féin. The difference is that I saw him as a liability rather than an asset in the campaign and he could very easily have lost it for us.
    Maybe maybe not. He certainly rallied the (xenophobic, foreigner-hating) troops who might not even have known there was a vote taking place otherwise with all the complicated talk of sovereignty. With such people he got out the vote. Whereas of course perhaps many Remainers might have been complacent enough not to vote thinking that no one in their right mind would vote Leave and of course they were wrong.

Nothing wrong with being on the side of Neil Kinnock and Sinn Féin why would there be? You I thought were a fan of nationalist self-determination.
    Well Kinnock was a useless toss pot and ended up a laughing stock and Sinn Féin were in favour of and apologists for blowing people up to achieve their political ends. I would suggest there is a fair bit to be at least a little unnerved by in such associations.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,646

And that takes us back to That Speech.

My reading of its aim was to flatter both the speaker and the audience by grabbing the coattails of a real heroic struggle against a real evil empire.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

On the City, what I've noticed is that it's the default option for smart people who don't like what they were doing in their previous industry, whether that's engineering, science or anything else. I was a software developer working 60-80h per week before I left for a City career where I worked the same 60-80 hour week but at least got paid well for my time.

I don't think it is a big lure for people who enjoy what they do and I'm not sure losing disinterested engineers or scientists from those fields to the City is really a huge deal.

Software engineering market is crazy at the moment.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sinn-fein-lord-hayward-elections_uk_623890d8e4b0f1e82c4c8e0b

I don't know what poll this is referring to but it gives;

SF 25%
    DUP 17%
    UUP 14%
    Alliance 14%
    SDLP 11%

This would be a calamitous result for the DUP and a pretty decent result for the UUP although I still expect Alliance to come third in seats.

Latest NI poll I can see has DUP on 19%, though either way they have still leaked votes to the TUV. Albeit less than 6 months ago

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2022/02/14/news/new-opinion-poll-puts-sinn-fe-in-in-pole-position-2588053/
    I have been waiting for a “return to DUP” effect as Unionists realise they are about to see a Nationalist First Minister.

Hasn’t happened.
    Given Stormont is entirely STV PR not FPTP a vote by Unionist hardliners for TUV not DUP makes little difference to the number of Unionist MLAs elected.

The DUP has already withdrawn from the NI Executive anyway so would refuse to appoint the FM even if they won most seats.
    Yes although what is the point in people voting DUP and not either UUP or TUV? There's also been rumours that Jeffrey Donaldson could resign his MLA seat (if he gets elected in Lagan Valley) to stay in Westminster.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

» show previous quotes
    "If we had the Brexit vote again, I would vote much more emphatically to LEAVE, and with none of the havering and 50/50 quavering of last time. I might even do it with "delight"

Except you haven't been (vindicated) and that is why you bang on about it ad nauseum. You know it is shit and pointless, and you keep coming on here in the hope you might convince yourself. You are suffering from sub conscious "repetition compulsion" in a desire to gain "illusory truth effect".

Leon, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, you still know in your heart of hearts it was fucking pointless.

Sigh

There's not much more I can do than be honest. I would vote LEAVE again, and with much greater enthusiasm

Why?

Because last time I was genuinely very doubtful; I was worried about the impact on the UK economy; I was personally worried about the impact on London property prices (my main asset)

Any economic impact has been utterly dwarfed by the pandemic, making me much more relaxed about the comparatively trivial GDP hit of Brexit; London property has since had to weather a much fiercer storm - again, the pandemic - but seems to be doing fine now. Indeed London has a buzz at the moment (of course war and inflationary armageddon might ruin that, but that ain't Brexit)

Meanwhile the grotesque behaviour of the EU, the Commission etc over our exit and then other stuff like the vaccines, literally trying to smear UK vaccines out of spite because Brexit, and the general behaviour of Remoaners in the UK (trying to cancel democracy) and the eurocrats in Brussels (trying to thwart our departure) tells me that Leave is on the side of the angels, and that no sane country able to fend for itself would want to be in the non-democratic EU

And the war shows me that democracy really is the best bulwark against autocracy

So that's why I would vote Leave with a confident smile, rather than a nervous gulp

The one big thing I regret is loss of Freedom of Movement. I hope one day we can find a new accommodation which restores it in some qualified form, for the benefit of all Brits AND Europeans

It is a good essay, but I still sense you are trying to convince yourself, and maybe you are almost there. When I see you no longer post on the subject I will accept that the strategy of repetition compulsion (it is a somewhat disputed psychological phenomena) does work. The majority of the British public will still be a majority believing we were conned, but knowing we have to get on with it anyway, but perhaps they might consider a way of ensuring some sort of retribution on those that perpetrated the con.
    I don't feel any need to go on about it. But when Remainers make the implication that Leavers would not now vote Leave, I do occasionally feel the need to pipe up that yes, I would still vote Leave knowing now what I knew then, for the reasons Leon sets out - not least the vaccines debacle.
    And yes, I'd like Brexit to work better. But let's not kid ourselves that membership worked perfectly either.
    I’d vote leave if asked again because it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
    Fckn hell, how bad did you think it would be, global pandemic and brink of nuclear armageddon bad?
    We were warned about the loss of trade, queues at the border, the collapse in the £, about losing our place on the world stage; we were even warned about World War Three. But Project Fear never went as far as predicting global plague!
    We got all of those in indyref 1, right down to WW3.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,478

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Another one with a very selective memory. I spent many happy hours on here both before and after the referendum arguing that whilst Farage had been pivotal in getting the referendum, once it had been secured he was nothing but a liability to the campaign to actually win it. Indeed I included such an argument in at least one of the headers I wrote prior to the vote. Of course that doesn't sit well with your rather selective narrative.

I was in no way embarrassed to be on the same side as him any more than Churchill was embarrassed to be on the same side as Stalin or you were embarrassed to be on the same side as Neil Kinnock and Sinn Féin. The difference is that I saw him as a liability rather than an asset in the campaign and he could very easily have lost it for us.
    Maybe maybe not. He certainly rallied the (xenophobic, foreigner-hating) troops who might not even have known there was a vote taking place otherwise with all the complicated talk of sovereignty. With such people he got out the vote. Whereas of course perhaps many Remainers might have been complacent enough not to vote thinking that no one in their right mind would vote Leave and of course they were wrong.

Nothing wrong with being on the side of Neil Kinnock and Sinn Féin why would there be? You I thought were a fan of nationalist self-determination.
    Well Kinnock was a useless toss pot and ended up a laughing stock and Sinn Féin were in favour of and apologists for blowing people up to achieve their political ends. I would suggest there is a fair bit to be at least a little unnerved by in such associations.
    Alternatively Kinnock did what Starmer is trying to do I'm not sure what makes him useless or a toss pot, save for not winning the election but again that doesn't make me embarrassed to be on the same side as him.

And ah Sinn Féin. They believe in a united Ireland; wholly understandable. They believe in it so much that they employed violence to try to achieve it. I suppose it's the one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter thing but again I am not embarrassed to have shared the political aim of remaining in the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    People underestimate how big a deal the UK’s FS industry is.

The UK is a services “superpower”; we’re the global number two, after the US. We export over 50% as much services as the US with 1/6 the population.

Very mostly, this is FS and the ancillary services that come with FS (consulting, accounting, software, even legal services), and very very much this is being generated in London.

Aside from that, whisky in Scotland, and some life sciences in Cambridge, the rest of the economy is highly meh, at least at a global level.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed, I know a startup that has a £10k referral bounty for senior engineers.
  • Options

I’ve never even heard of the Battle or Bean Field which perhaps proves your point…
    It depends what your outlook was at the time. If you were a Middle Class Tory voter I am sure it was just the police sorting out a few crusties and putting them in their place. If you had any bent towards libertarianism or were generally anti-Government then even if you were not much of fan of the travellers at the very least it sounded a lot of warning bells about politically directed police being able to attack people at will and get away with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beanfield

Along with the disgraceful police behaviour at Orgreave it made a big impression on me as a student.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, I know a startup that has a £10k referral bounty for senior engineers.
    I'm at a startup now.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    On topic from the previous thread:

Why doesn't the Labour Party re-name itself "The Graduates' Party"?
  • Options
    Tied lowest net approval rating for Rishi Sunak that we have recorded.

Rishi Sunak Approval Rating (20 Mar):

Approve: 36% (-1)
    Disapprove: 33% (+2)
    Net: +3% (-3)

Changes +/- 13 Mar

Whomp whomp
  • Options

Extremely nasty incident down south. Police steamed into a hippy camp . A fairly sedate friend of mine saw it on TV and was absolutely incensed. I didn;t see it, but the news reports were pretty grim. And the Earl of Cardigan was one of the witnesses ... he owned the field.

Like the coal strike, it raised major issues about policing in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jun/12/ukcrime.tonythompson
  • Options

The UK is a services “superpower”; we’re the global number two, after the US. We export over 50% as much services as the US with 1/6 the population.

Very mostly, this is FS and the ancillary services that come with FS (consulting, accounting, software, even legal services), and very very much this is being generated in London.

Aside from that, whisky in Scotland, and some life sciences in Cambridge, the rest of the economy is highly meh, at least at a global level.

Taking the discussion back to fusion energy, the UK really seems to be building up a critical mass of fusion energy startups, it's an area where I think the government can really help as well with some well targeted tax breaks and a new rapid reactor approval process rather than the traditional 3-4 year process we have now for fission reactors.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

» show previous quotes

Sigh

Why?

And aliens!
    Not the the illegal variety, though we got them as well.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231
    Renault restarts production in Moscow, backed by main shareholder, the French government

https://twitter.com/CityAM/status/1505955157955125249
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,066

We probably ought to be asking why that is.

And what it is that makes us so successful at it. The legal bit I can understand but elsewhere?

In a not necessarily unrelated point what sort of progress are we seeing with regards to freezing Russian assets in the crown dependency tax havens?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

» show previous quotes

Sigh

Why?

And aliens!
    Not the the illegal variety, though we got them as well.
    So we did. But, as with the crash of the poind, losing our place on the world stage, queues at the border, loss of trade etc. plus losing our place in the EU, we're getting them anyway (the aliens according to Leon, that is).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Taking the discussion back to fusion energy, the UK really seems to be building up a critical mass of fusion energy startups, it's an area where I think the government can really help as well with some well targeted tax breaks and a new rapid reactor approval process rather than the traditional 3-4 year process we have now for fission reactors.
    Sounds very promising.

But I just despair at the approach of Rishi “no growth” Sunak and the lunatics at Treasury.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Scott_xP said:

Pretty weak.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    MaxPB said:

That is a fair point. I had a choice after Business School to go back into consultancy and decided that the City was probably a better option - not because I loved it but, as you said, you would get paid more for what you did.

The irony is that, longer-term, it would have been better to stick with consultancy...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Extremely nasty incident down south. Police steamed into a hippy camp . A fairly sedate friend of mine saw it on TV and was absolutely incensed. I didn;t see it, but the news reports were pretty grim. And the Earl of Cardigan was one of the witnesses ... he owned the field.

Like the coal strike, it raised major issues about policing in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jun/12/ukcrime.tonythompson
    This means nothing to me and I was 30 at the time and into politics big time. I can only assume I was away at the time. I thought when I looked it up it would all ring bells. Nope.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Slightly odd OGH saying the Scottish local elections will have an impact on the future of the UK. They will have zero impact beyond potholes and housing and social care in Scottish local authorities. The UK government will continue to refuse indyref2 as it has since last year when the SNP failed to get a Holyrood majority.

The Stormont elections might be more significant for the Union but even there Unionist parties should still win more seats than Nationalists overall even if SF come top and the Alliance oppose a border poll for now anyway
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sounds very promising.

But I just despair at the approach of Rishi “no growth” Sunak and the lunatics at Treasury.
    Indeed, I worry that Rishi is just a slicker clone of Philip Hammond, another chancellor who could only ever see the cost of doing something. What we really need is someone to come in as chancellor and destroy the current treasury orthodoxy, Rishi just doesn't seem like someone who will do that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    edited March 2022
    Andy_JS said:

The Graduates and public sector workers and welfare claimants party.

Mind you the Tories could also rename themselves the pensioners party at the moment
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds very promising.

Indeed, I worry that Rishi is just a slicker clone of Philip Hammond, another chancellor who could only ever see the cost of doing something. What we really need is someone to come in as chancellor and destroy the current treasury orthodoxy, Rishi just doesn't seem like someone who will do that.
    Rishi is even worse than Hammond.
    Rishi is an ideologue on behalf of the existing orthodoxy, whereas Hammond was just a do-nothing.

Johnson should have made Gove chancellor.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

That is a fair point. I had a choice after Business School to go back into consultancy and decided that the City was probably a better option - not because I loved it but, as you said, you would get paid more for what you did.

The irony is that, longer-term, it would have been better to stick with consultancy...
    Care to elaborate on your final point?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Mind you the Tories could also rename themselves the pensioners party at the moment
    @hyufd you really are getting a rebellious streak aren't you. Good for you.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

Depending on the field, consultancy rates in London are upwards of £3k per day right now, I've seen some advertising their time for £10k per day outside IR35. Not sure how much work they get though.
  • Options
    European Council president, Charles Michel, is to meet with Boris Johnson to discuss issues surrounding the Northern Ireland Protocol

In a call this afternoon the PM told Michel that solutions must be found in order to protect peace and stability and safeguard the Good Friday agreement in all its dimensions
  • Options

European Council president, Charles Michel, is to meet with Boris Johnson to discuss issues surrounding the Northern Ireland Protocol

In a call this afternoon the PM told Michel that solutions must be found in order to protect peace and stability and safeguard the Good Friday agreement in all its dimensions

Bit late for him to admit that he hasn;t found a solution.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Does that free up Japan to re-take the Kuril Islands?

Russia is abandoning talks about ending WW2.

@Telegraph
    🇷🇺Russia has said it is abandoning peace talks with Japan, which were aimed at signing a formal World War II peace treaty, due to Tokyo's tough response on Ukraine

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1505947632820269059

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds very promising.

I am coming round to that view but let's see what wednesday brings
  • Options

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

Max beat me to it but consultancy rates are very high for freelancers.

However, even if I had stuck with my old firm, I could have been earning 1m+ as a partner. You do not get that in banking these days unless you are in specific parts and very senior.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

The Stormont elections might be more significant for the Union but even there Unionist parties should still win more seats than Nationalists overall even if SF come top and the Alliance oppose a border poll for now anyway

Alliance is the only party with really significant momentum although it could get messy for the unionists in terms of seats and Alliance and SDLP could be most transfer friendly. I'm not sure how the TUV gains more than a couple of seats (In North Antrim and East Antrim) and where UUP is likely to gain seats even if the DUP loses up to 8-10 seats.

SF also topped polled the poll in the 2010 Westminster election albeit with only 25.5%. The main story will be about chaos in the DUP.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited March 2022
    Tory Britain, 2022;

“Indian agency workers hired to replace P&O Ferries crews in Dover are being paid £1.81 an hour”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60821266
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    75,000 people have booked their spring Covid booster since the service opened in England today. More than 7m people over 75 or immunosuppressed are eligible across the UK
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

Depending on the field, consultancy rates in London are upwards of £3k per day right now, I've seen some advertising their time for £10k per day outside IR35. Not sure how much work they get though.
    I am clearly not charging enough.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

“Indian agency workers hired to replace P&O Ferries crews in Dover are being paid £1.81 an hour”

More like, international maritime industry over the past 20 years....Filipinos and Ukrainians widely hired throughout the world on very low wages, long hours and limited time off.

"Some of P&O's ferries are registered in Cyprus, meaning they do not have to pay the minimum wage required by UK law."

Places like Panama and Cyprus are happy to take the vessel registration fees and unconcerned about terms and conditions of employees.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Bit late for him to admit that he hasn;t found a solution.
    To be fair both sides do recognise there are issues and for those of us wanting a sensible solution this is promising

Indeed there were posters saying Boris has blown it in the EU while in the meantime both sides are talking and meeting
  • Options
    Remember when the solution to the EU border was AI. I do.
  • Options
    ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

It is shocking and I just do not understand why HMG and the Unions have not applied for an injuction
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    edited March 2022

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

It is shocking and I just do not understand why HMG and the Unions have not applied for an injuction
    Its because in reality there isn't much you can do. Maritime laws are such that the terms and conditions of those employed are based upon where a ship is registered, and there are plenty of options for countries who will happily register your vessel while very limited worker guarantees.

Its requires a reform on a greater level than even that minimum tax rate that leading nations agreed last year.
  • Options
    Case summary

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216

75,000 people have booked their spring Covid booster since the service opened in England today. More than 7m people over 75 or immunosuppressed are eligible across the UK

My dad is over 75 and I can book him in, but they say:

People are advised to wait 6 months since their previous dose to get maximum protection from a spring booster.

He had his booster on 25 October - should we wait until end of April?
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Its because in reality there isn't much you can do. Maritime laws are such that the terms and conditions of those employed are based upon where a ship is registered, and there are plenty of options for countries who will happily register your vessel while very limited worker guarantees.

Its requires a reform on a greater level than even that minimum tax rate that leading nations agreed last year.
    Thanks for that so even stopping fire and hire in UK law would be irrelevant
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

My dad is over 75 and I can book him in, but they say:

People are advised to wait 6 months since their previous dose to get maximum protection from a spring booster.

He had his booster on 25 October - should we wait until end of April?
    I personally wouldn't (depending on how vulnerable your father is). After 3 months protection starts to wane.

My father was jabbed in I believe the middle of October, got him booked in last night for later this week.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

“Its because in reality there isn't much you can do”

Bullshit. The government could enforce minimum wage, at least, if they wanted to.

It’s a deliberate choice by government to allow modern slavery by P&O.

Because that’s their ideology and because it suits the interests of their client vote.

Fucking sickening.
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases - UP. But R is down in all age groups and across all regions.
    - In hospital - UP
    - Admissions - UP. R is steady, but above 1
    - MV beds - Level(ish)
    - Deaths - Level(ish)

• Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Bullshit. The government could enforce minimum wage, at least, if they wanted to.

Because that’s their ideology and because it suits their voters interests.

Sickening.
    No they couldn't.

The ships are registered in Cyprus. This is international maritime rules, ship owners are free by these laws to register where ever they wish and the laws under which employees on those ships are governed is based upon the laws in that country. Even if Cyprus decide to up their minimum wage / reduce special carve outs for ship employees, there are many other countries such as Panama, who will happily accept their registration fee.

It requires an massive international agreement to change this situation, and one I doubt Panama is interested in doing so, as the current status quo is worth a vast amount of money to them.

It is well known fact in the industry that Filipinos are widely used because they will work for such very low rates of pay, long hours and limited holiday. It is slave labour.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

Alliance is the only party with really significant momentum although it could get messy for the unionists in terms of seats and Alliance and SDLP could be most transfer friendly. I'm not sure how the TUV gains more than a couple of seats (In North Antrim and East Antrim) and where UUP is likely to gain seats even if the DUP loses up to 8-10 seats.

SF also topped polled the poll in the 2010 Westminster election albeit with only 25.5%. The main story will be about chaos in the DUP.
    I think HYUFD defines Alliance as [quick edit] Unionist?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Tories are Thickos Party surely
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    No they couldn't. The ship is registered in Cyprus. This is international maritime rules, ship owners are free by these laws to register where ever they wish. Even if Cyprus decide to up their minimum wage, there are many other countries such as Panama, who will happily accept their registration fee.
    It is surprising that ferries plying a regular route are not regulated differently.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Fucking sickening.
    I agree with you but just where do you have the link that HMG can enforce the minimum wage

I suspect that if a ship is sailing under Maritime law then there is little that you can do *

* other than to boycott it and in this case P&O Cruises as well
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,066
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds very promising.

Not easy for someone so inexperienced to challenge the Treasury orthodoxy! Apparently former permanent sec Nick MacPherson said the two things he always kept an eye on were tax revenues and the unemployment rate. My sense is that HMT is completely short termist in its thinking, haunted by the possibility of another 1976 going 'cap in hand to the IMF.'
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    HYUFD said:

Also the ethnic minorities' party. Non-whites voted Lab 64-20 Con at GE19, when Labour were 12 points or so behind nationally.

• Options
    Labour could be called anyone who doesn't want a corrupt load of tossers party
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds very promising.

Rishi is even worse than Hammond.
    Rishi is an ideologue on behalf of the existing orthodoxy, whereas Hammond was just a do-nothing.

Johnson should have made Gove chancellor.
    +1
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield Wilton

Labour 40% (+1)

Conservative 35% (-1)

Liberal Democrat 11% (+1)

Green 7% (+1)

Scottish National Party 4% (–)

Reform UK 2% (-2)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-1)

Boris Johnson’s (38%, down 1%) lead over Keir Starmer (36%, no change) has narrowed slightly in terms of who Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK at this moment.

This is dismal stuff for Boris. Unless Ukraine spontaneously appoints him President for life, this is as good as his war gets for him. What a shame.
    Actually not a bad poll for Boris, he still leads Starmer as preferred PM 38% to 36%.

Sunak however can only tie Starmer as preferred PM 37% each.

A 5% lead for the opposition is par for the course midterm, especially after 10 years in power

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-20-march-2022/
    That's interesting. Since 1992, the only time the opposition has had a consistent 5%+ lead in midterm and NOT then won the subsequent election was 2019 when UKIP were polling big.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    MaxPB said:

In other news I was interested to read private funding of nuclear fusion projects has overtaken public funding. I wonder whether the smaller fusion power projects will actually achieve a net energy gain much faster than the lumbering projects like Iter. Private money seems to be pouring in and I think that's a good sign.

It depends. It might just mean the investors have been conned.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    No they couldn't. The ship is registered in Cyprus. This is international maritime rules, ship owners are free by these laws to register where ever they wish. Even if Cyprus decide to up their minimum wage, there are many other countries such as Panama, who will happily accept their registration fee.
    It is surprising that ferries plying a regular route are not regulated differently.
    Seems Maritime law is the arbiter and to be honest I did not know that
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

Also the ethnic minorities' party. Non-whites voted Lab 64-20 Con at GE19, when Labour were 12 points or so behind nationally.

Not anymore methinks
  • Options
    mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield Wilton

Labour 40% (+1)

Conservative 35% (-1)

Green 7% (+1)

Reform UK 2% (-2)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-1)

Boris Johnson’s (38%, down 1%) lead over Keir Starmer (36%, no change) has narrowed slightly in terms of who Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK at this moment.

This is dismal stuff for Boris. Unless Ukraine spontaneously appoints him President for life, this is as good as his war gets for him. What a shame.
    Actually not a bad poll for Boris, he still leads Starmer as preferred PM 38% to 36%.

A 5% lead for the opposition is par for the course midterm, especially after 10 years in power

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voting-intention-20-march-2022/
    That's interesting. Since 1992, the only time the opposition has had a consistent 5%+ lead in midterm and NOT then won the subsequent election was 2019 when UKIP were polling big.
    We've only had two changes of government since 1992, so presumably that means of the three occasions it's happened, there's been a change of government twice, and once not.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Well it is, but there is meant to be a shift going on from flag control to port control of vessels, and you'd have thought that was really easily enforced on a UK-france ferry company. In fact what you'd hope is those sclerotic tyrants in the EU will impose minimum wage on ferries wanting to operate from EU ports.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Well it is, but there is meant to be a shift going on from flag control to port control of vessels, and you'd have thought that was really easily enforced on a UK-france ferry company. In fact what you'd hope is those sclerotic tyrants in the EU will impose minimum wage on ferries wanting to operate from EU ports.
    It would seem that it can only be done through international maritime law so I doubt anything will happen
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Fishing said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield Wilton

Labour 40% (+1)

Conservative 35% (-1)

Green 7% (+1)

Reform UK 2% (-2)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-1)

We've only had two changes of government since 1992, so presumably that means of the three occasions it's happened, there's been a change of government twice, and once not.
    I like big error bars I cannot lie.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    MaxPB said:

MrEd said:

MaxPB said:

What kind of consultancy? In my area, IT consultancy, contractor day rates are probably more like £800 a day for a one man band, or say 1500 for a senior person from a mid sized consultancy and much more for a big 4 (or whatever is left). But clients wouldn't pay 3k upwards for long term engagements. Or if they do, I'd love to know who they are!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Is there not some national authorisation or regulation of ferry services? Can anyone with a boat simply set up in Dover and flog tickets for Calais?
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

As someone who has spent countless hours campaigning for them - there is absolutely no reason to vote Conservative if you are under 50 except as a form of social charity for pensioners. The Conservatives spend most of their time completely fucking over my generation. Thinking about it, I really should have voted for Corbyn, because at least the subsequent economic collapse would have devalued the housing market.
  • Options

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Fucking sickening.
    I agree with you but just where do you have the link that HMG can enforce the minimum wage

I suspect that if a ship is sailing under Maritime law then there is little that you can do *

They said it was impossible to end slavery, too. But with a bit of creativity, persistence and raw power, we managed it.

£1.81 an hour for ferries running regular routes between European countries is unconscionable.

It’s not that we can’t enforce minimum wage, it’s that the government is choosing not to.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    It would seem that it can only be done through international maritime law so I doubt anything will happen
    Nope. I am an international maritime lawyer to the extent there is such a thing, and nothing in the world stops France from saying I don't care what flag you are flying, if you don't pay minimum wage you aren't using my ports.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Is there not some national authorisation or regulation of ferry services? Can anyone with a boat simply set up in Dover and flog tickets for Calais?
    My understanding is as long as the boat / crew is deemed seaworthy by the local relevant port authorities they are free to sail, pay and conditions is a matter for the country the boat is registered in.

I suppose some countries the government might lean on these independent bodies to ensure they found faults, but just like why don't we just seize some Russian's property, our court system takes a very robust interest in procedures being fair and by the book*....and why we see the "bad law project" keep attempting to take the government to court for not following rules to the absolute letter during the pandemic.

* a previous case where the government of the lost a huge settlement when trying to just seize assets.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921

Scott_xP said:

Hur hur hur.....

It has been a disaster for the country in our loss of self respect. It'll take a long time to get over that. As a country we'll never be viewed the same again. The great cosmopolitan inclusive country that made us what we thought we were was a chimera. Farage turned out to be right.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    There's a whole heap of Safety of Life at Sea stuff, but this doesn't seem to fall under that.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    My understanding is as long as the boat / crew is deemed seaworthy by the local authorities they are free to sail, pay and conditions is a matter for the country the boat is registered in.
    SHIP
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,035
    MaxPB said:

Yes - I posted something similar a few months back.
    And there are at least half a dozen different approaches to the problem, all if which have seen some kind of interesting progress in the last couple of years, and several of which might prove commercially viable.

Some of them aren't so small, with funding around $1bn.
    Also there's a lot of small project funding from the US government from their energy version of DARPA. So lots of the roadblocks are being looked at simultaneously.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921
    ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

As a country we're not easy to embarrass any more.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

2022 and a British company turns to slavery as a business decision.

But the rightwingers say “we can’t do anything”

That’s complete bullshit.

Take a long hard look at yourself.

Come on, explain how. How do the UK government enforcement the minimum wage of Cyprus....for the record, in fact there isn't a a national minimum wage in Cyprus at the moment.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Nope. I am an international maritime lawyer to the extent there is such a thing, and nothing in the world stops France from saying I don't care what flag you are flying, if you don't pay minimum wage you aren't using my ports.
    So Britain and France and Ireland and everyone else doesn’t care?

The unspoken here, of course, is that these workers must be sleeping and eating on the vessel too, otherwise they could not afford to live.

Under what visa did they arrive in the UK anyway?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,041
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    However. P+O own the port of Larne.
    It is a monopoly.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    I would assume that most ferries transit in international water where country legislation will not apply, hence Maritime law

I have also realised that cruise ships must be taking the same advantage of their crews and in view of the charges to the passengers it must be a gold mine of a business

I would suggest P & O should be boycotted
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    Can they even do that for ships who are registered in the EU though? That would surely be restriction of goods and services from another EU country.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,438

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield Wilton

Labour 40% (+1)

Conservative 35% (-1)

Green 7% (+1)

Reform UK 2% (-2)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-1)

He is the next Jeremy Corbyn.
    In what respect?
  • Options
    ping said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Fucking sickening.

They said it was impossible to end slavery, too. But with a bit of creativity, persistence and raw power, we managed it.

£1.81 an hour for ferries running regular routes between European countries is unconscionable.

It’s not that we can’t enforce minimum wage, it’s that the government is choosing not to.
    Your last line is not factual as much as you would like it to be
  • Options

Fishing said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Redfield Wilton

Labour 40% (+1)

Conservative 35% (-1)

Green 7% (+1)

Reform UK 2% (-2)

Plaid Cymru 0% (-1)

Other 1% (-1)

I like big error bars I cannot lie.
    You'll fit right in here then.

The other point is that the two occasions when a change of government DID happen, the opposition parties sustained much higher leads than 5% over much longer periods of time than Starmer has managed - over twenty points under Blair and over ten points under Cameron.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

ping said:

ping said:

Tory Britain, 2022;

Sickening.
    I would assume that most ferries transit in international water where country legislation will not apply, hence Maritime law

I have also realised that cruise ships must be taking the same advantage of their crews and in view of the charges to the passengers it must be a gold mine of a business

I would suggest P & O should be boycotted
    Cruise ships absolutely do this. I forgotten the exact percentage, but across the whole global maritime industry, Filipinos make up some astonishing percentage these days.
This discussion has been closed.