Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson under fire for likening Ukraine to Brexit – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,738
edited March 2022 in General
Johnson under fire for likening Ukraine to Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pig Dog.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,941
    What is a woman?

Ah, that is the very devil of a question

Woman is a mood. A glance. A lilt of a voice on a soft summer dusk, carrying over the waters. Woman is a dream, a dance, a little death in the night. Woman is night, she is day, she is loss and delay. Woman is want and need, she is appetite unrequited. Always, always

She is the lipstick on the espresso cup, the scent on a silken scarf, she is the faint trace fossil of a sigh, a sigh, a sigh of painful delight. Woman. Is Woman

And that is all we need to know, and that, my friend @kinabalu is all we can ever know
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,082
    edited March 2022
    Second.
    Is what France will be with a draw. Thanks to the ludicrous bonus points.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Second

No, I was second with my "technical definition of a woman"
  • Options
    I think booking Zhenya was quite a coup for the Scottish Tories.

Zhenya Jenny Dove
    @FitMouse
    I was invited to give a speech at
    @ScotTories
    conference, and got lucky to have a private meeting with
    @BorisJohnson
    , the person in charge of the decision-making in our country.
    I am humbled and touched.
    No political entity showed any interest in what I had to say until now ❤️🇺🇦

https://twitter.com/FitMouse/status/1505179840290377736

• Options
    This Zhenya play any stringed instruments?

Asking for Carrie a friend.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,403
    So far the Tories’ spring conference has…
    ✅got people talking about Partygate
    ✅advertised splits between the PM & Chancellor
    ✅started a dumb row about the Ukraine-Russia war being like Brexit … while ppl are dying

Maybe cancelling is ok in some circs, no?

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1505247924703436813
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,082
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

Indeed. But I was pointing out a potentially farcical situation.
    Third would not have cut it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

France are going to win, anyway

And by a distance, I fear
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

Ooooh, Leon going out on a limb there! Perhaps an attempt to supplant the legendary Roger and his famous Barack Obama post?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,648
    HYUFD said:

I have to agree, I think Boris could have phrased his words slightly differently.

The UK voted to leave the EU in a referendum, the UK was not fighting for freedom from the EU following an EU invasion of the UK.

The Ukrainian resistance to Russian invasion is therefore rather different

Are you OK hun?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

Ooooh, Leon going out on a limb there! Perhaps an attempt to supplant the legendary Roger and his famous Barack Obama post?
    It is not exactly a daring opinion in the rugby world that France are considerably better than England, at the moment. Hell, Italy are probably better than England, as of this evening

With the simultaneous advance of Kylian Mbappe, we may soon be confronted with the uncomfortable moment when France have the best rugby AND football team in the world, and they win both of the world cups

UGH
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    Well I'm still hoping that we'll find ourselves in a 1945 moment. When once war was ended a prime minister was turfed out of office.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    dixiedean said:

Second.

If you have to add extra bonus points to guarantee a team that wins every game wins the tournament, it should tell you that there's a problem with your other bonus points...
  • Options
    This is quite a serious threat, by the way

France are joint favourites to win the FIFA world cup, with Brazil, 6/1

France are joint favourites to win the rugby world cup, with NZ: 5/2

In both cases I'd have France as actual favourites, because Mbappe in the first, and home advantage in the second
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,839
    ... is not as clever as he thinks it is
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    I suspect that Boris said it to distract from something else.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

It is not exactly a daring opinion in the rugby world that France are considerably better than England, at the moment. Hell, Italy are probably better than England, as of this evening

With the simultaneous advance of Kylian Mbappe, we may soon be confronted with the uncomfortable moment when France have the best rugby AND football team in the world, and they win both of the world cups

UGH
    Obama was 50-1.

What odds England? ;)
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,739
    HYUFD said:

I have to agree, I think Boris could have phrased his words slightly differently.

The UK voted to leave the EU in a referendum, the UK was not fighting for freedom from the EU following an EU invasion of the UK.

The Ukrainian resistance to Russian invasion is therefore rather different

I have to say, very well put.

Not just the conclusion, with which I agree, but far more relevant (as agreeing with me doesn't make it right) a very clear explanation and analogy.

Impressed.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Second.

If you have to add extra bonus points to guarantee a team that wins every game wins the tournament, it should tell you that there's a problem with your other bonus points...
    i am old school and points should be for winning and drawing , nothing else. Not least because people cannot follow it and therefore lose the anticipation of knowing what results will do what .You should not need to be a numerate nerd to follow a sport
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,693

Well I'm still hoping that we'll find ourselves in a 1945 moment. When once war was ended a prime minister was turfed out of office.

Incorrect. We didn't wait for the end of the war. Churchill resigned on the 26th July and Japan surrendered on the 15th August.
  • Options

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Second.

i am old school and points should be for winning and drawing , nothing else. Not least because people cannot follow it and therefore lose the anticipation of knowing what results will do what .You should not need to be a numerate nerd to follow a sport
    You don't like darts then?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,403
    BoZo thinks the purpose of Brexit was to land him the gig as PM.

BoZo thinks the purpose of the war is to keep him in the job.

In his head it makes sense to conflate them
  • Options
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Second.

Why not just have a points difference or try difference to determine placings between those with the same number of points?
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

UGH
    Obama was 50-1.

What odds England? ;)
    Football world cup, about 12/1

Rugby world cup, about the same, maybe longer
  • Options

Zhenya Jenny Dove
    @FitMouse
    @ScotTories
    @BorisJohnson

errrm I wonder why Boris found talking to Zhenya quite easy errrm.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Second.

What's the point of it? Just a load of bulls.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

UGH
    England really aren’t that bad. A stupid moment by one player lost the game against Scotland, away from home. The Irish game was decided by one players poor tackling technique and extremely bad luck - those collisions happen ten times a game but the player gets away with it as no direct head to head contact occurs.
    The side is rebuilding, and is nowhere near the finished article. We miss tuilagi, but probably should accept he won’t be a regular player ever again. Our back line lacks cutting edge, mainly because we need tuilagi.
    Up front the side is as good as anyone in the set piece.
    I expect to lose tonight. The french have been very good, and have the ability to be stunning. They are at home. Most 6 nations games are home wins.
    But England are not worse than Italy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incorrect. We didn't wait for the end of the war. Churchill resigned on the 26th July and Japan surrendered on the 15th August.
    Good point. I hope you get the jist though.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Second.

I think in darts it is mainly knock out (easily understood) or in the Premier League just 2 pts for a win and 1pt for a draw - Everyone gets it and no need to be a numerate nerd to know whats everyone is required to do
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/19/dont-mention-the-partygate-boris-johnson-is-buoyant-on-the-world-stage

"“It’s almost like he’s worried he won’t have many more opportunities to play the international statesman and his next tour is going to be on the lecture circuit,” said one unsympathetic Tory MP who also pointed to Johnson being forced to make friends with “second-tier” leaders rather than Biden, Olaf Scholz or Emmanuel Macron."

The point is this: Ukraine is all Boris's Christmases come at once and still not ahead in the polls.
  • Options
    Ten. So far.

Xander King of the wolds 🇺🇦
    @Xander_has_an_X
    Replying to @RachelWilde13 @Baroness_Nichol and @mcgilead

Which is it? Six? Or seven?

Emma Harriet Nicholson
    @Baroness_Nichol

Now ten

https://twitter.com/Baroness_Nichol/status/1505257331218690053
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    Leon said:

What is a woman?

Woman is a mood. A glance. A lilt of a voice on a soft summer dusk, carrying over the waters. Woman is a dream, a dance, a little death in the night. Woman is night, she is day, she is loss and delay. Woman is want and need, she is appetite unrequited. Always, always

She is the lipstick on the espresso cup, the scent on a silken scarf, she is the faint trace fossil of a sigh, a sigh, a sigh of painful delight. Woman. Is Woman

And that is all we need to know, and that, my friend @kinabalu is all we can ever know

Ok, very good, and my fault - I specified no cheap jokes but I didn't say no 'Peter O'Toole on a barstool' lyricizing.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

Boris - " And I pressed my finger on the red button for Russia and boom ... the next oligarch was on the phone quicker than you could say Tory donor."
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,739
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a woman?

Ok, very good, and my fault - I specified no cheap jokes but I didn't say no 'Peter O'Toole on a barstool' lyricizing.
    Very good.
  • Options

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Second

UGH
    England really aren’t that bad. A stupid moment by one player lost the game against Scotland, away from home. The Irish game was decided by one players poor tackling technique and extremely bad luck - those collisions happen ten times a game but the player gets away with it as no direct head to head contact occurs.
    The side is rebuilding, and is nowhere near the finished article. We miss tuilagi, but probably should accept he won’t be a regular player ever again. Our back line lacks cutting edge, mainly because we need tuilagi.
    Up front the side is as good as anyone in the set piece.
    I expect to lose tonight. The french have been very good, and have the ability to be stunning. They are at home. Most 6 nations games are home wins.
    But England are not worse than Italy.
    No, we're not worse than Italy. Wales are. Lol

However we have gone backwards in the last 3 years. Jones has run out of ideas

He needs to be replaced.

We still have a lot of talent, if not quite as much as the French, right now. Needs to be used better. And why on earth did we let Shaun Edwards, the best defence coach in the world, and an Englishman, go to Paris?

Pfff!
  • Options
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

Also, we aren't at war.
    Also also, why does a crisis mean that a knave and fool should stay in post? It's an argument for him to be gone yesterday.

It's not like we're spoiled for choice. Throw a tennis ball at a group of MPs, and you've probably got a 95% change of hitting someone who'd be better the job than he is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Zhenya Jenny Dove
    @FitMouse
    @ScotTories
    @BorisJohnson

I only have a one bed flat but I am nonetheless willing to make the sacrifice, and take Zhenya Dove in, as a refugee. Somehow we will make it work. That's the kind of of guy I am
    Inherently mean-spirited, I'm afraid. A true philanthropist like me is hoping she is one of identical triplets, so there's a whole family to welcome
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a woman?

It was irresistible, tho I was thinking more Charles Aznavour on xanax and armagnac. But a drunken Peter O Toole (is there, conceptually, a sober Peter O'Toole?) is apt, as well
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897

I suspect that Boris said it to distract from something else.

Don't think so. Point is, if he had a moral compass a little voice would tell him, not the right thing to say. Unfortunately Johnson is the kind of person who would also imply the leader of the opposition protects paedophiles
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,439
    The Ukrainians continue to flood the Irpin River floodplain in order to block the Russian advance into Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1505227149225205764?s=20&t=8fHHm4G30EQv-dnaS_xTyQ

Video of Azov soldiers sabotaging a railroad bridge to hamper Russia’s resupply efforts.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1505233928872935433?s=20&t=8fHHm4G30EQv-dnaS_xTyQ
  • Options
    Some of you have weird predatory instincts. It's a bit disturbing if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What is a woman?

Anyone you're prepared to objectify and say "nice legs" to on here.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562
    Farooq said:

Some of you have weird predatory instincts. It's a bit disturbing if I'm honest.

I think it’s mainly a joke.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Also, we aren't at war.
    Also also, why does a crisis mean that an knave and fool should stay in post? It's an argument for him to be gone yesterday.

It's not like we're spoiled for choice. Throw a tennis ball at a group of MPs, and you've probably got a 95% change of hitting someone who'd be better the job than he is.
    Sod's law you would hit JRM or Richard Burgon...
  • Options
    Well anti-Russian feeling is strong at UFC London.....Two Russians just about to fight, both being roundly booed.
  • Options
    Boris is a c**t, who knew?

Even HYUFD is coming over to the dark side.
  • Options
    British volunteer fighters are feared to have triggered a deadly airstrike on a Ukrainian military base after their phones were detected in the area, the Telegraph can reveal.

At least 35 people were killed, potentially including three British ex-special forces troops, when 30 Russian cruise missiles pulverised the Yavoriv facility, near the Polish border, on March 13.

The target on the base is believed to have been the International Centre for Peacekeeping and Security, where Ukraine has been training foreign civilian recruits for its international brigade.

Now, the Telegraph has learned that around 12 to 14 phone numbers starting with +44 were visible to surveillance equipment in the area in the hours before the missile strike.

Security sources said mercenaries paid by the Wagner Group, a secretive military company with links to the Kremlin, were suspected of operating on the ground at the time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/19/british-volunteer-fighters-may-have-triggered-deadly-strike/
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,756
    stodge said:

While watching Oliver Dowden explain away a 250-seat loss for the Conservatives would be the highlight of my General Election, the fact is none of this should be of any surprise.

The Conservative "record" i9s being defined by events beyond its control - Covid and now the Ukraine. The rest of the domestic agenda, beyond Brexit, has been largely forgotten or sidelined. The economics of a second term looks very different with inflation back on the table and the scope for tax cuts much reduced.

People may at this stage (and we are barely half way through the parliamentary term) may not look back on this period of Government with much affection and in lieu of fighting the past or current war, the question of how any Government is going to manage a much more uncertain world in the mid to late 2020s isn't an easy one to answer.

Concentrating on "culture wars" about which the vast majority are, I suspect, in the context of falling living standards, rising costs and global uncertainty, fairly ambivalent seems a waste.
    But if your record of making life better for people is poor, a negative culture war campaign is probably your best bet.

"Ask yourself this- are you better off now than at the last election?"
  • Options

British volunteer fighters are feared to have triggered a deadly airstrike on a Ukrainian military base after their phones were detected in the area, the Telegraph can reveal.

At least 35 people were killed, potentially including three British ex-special forces troops, when 30 Russian cruise missiles pulverised the Yavoriv facility, near the Polish border, on March 13.

The target on the base is believed to have been the International Centre for Peacekeeping and Security, where Ukraine has been training foreign civilian recruits for its international brigade.

Now, the Telegraph has learned that around 12 to 14 phone numbers starting with +44 were visible to surveillance equipment in the area in the hours before the missile strike.

Security sources said mercenaries paid by the Wagner Group, a secretive military company with links to the Kremlin, were suspected of operating on the ground at the time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/19/british-volunteer-fighters-may-have-triggered-deadly-strike/

My mind went to that scene from Four Lions when they are in Afghanistan and using their mobiles.
  • Options
    stodge said:

While watching Oliver Dowden explain away a 250-seat loss for the Conservatives would be the highlight of my General Election, the fact is none of this should be of any surprise.

The Conservative "record" i9s being defined by events beyond its control - Covid and now the Ukraine. The rest of the domestic agenda, beyond Brexit, has been largely forgotten or sidelined. The economics of a second term looks very different with inflation back on the table and the scope for tax cuts much reduced.

People may at this stage (and we are barely half way through the parliamentary term) may not look back on this period of Government with much affection and in lieu of fighting the past or current war, the question of how any Government is going to manage a much more uncertain world in the mid to late 2020s isn't an easy one to answer.

Concentrating on "culture wars" about which the vast majority are, I suspect, in the context of falling living standards, rising costs and global uncertainty, fairly ambivalent seems a waste.
    To me everything has changed and how each party faces the huge problems going forward will decide GE24

I do expect problems for labour and the SNP if they object to the development of oil and gas fields within the UK as we becoming self sufficient in the transition to net zero and stop importing energy, not just from Russia but elsewhere when we can provide it ourselves and with high paid UK jobs
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,708

The Ukrainians continue to flood the Irpin River floodplain in order to block the Russian advance into Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1505227149225205764?s=20&t=8fHHm4G30EQv-dnaS_xTyQ

Video of Azov soldiers sabotaging a railroad bridge to hamper Russia’s resupply efforts.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1505233928872935433?s=20&t=8fHHm4G30EQv-dnaS_xTyQ

It's not like they haven't been planning such an invasion for years and planned in detail what to do.

But, oh no, back in Putin's kremlin the Ukr people would throw flowers at the russian troops as they were liberating them from Hitler.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,897
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/19/dont-mention-the-partygate-boris-johnson-is-buoyant-on-the-world-stage

"“It’s almost like he’s worried he won’t have many more opportunities to play the international statesman and his next tour is going to be on the lecture circuit,” said one unsympathetic Tory MP who also pointed to Johnson being forced to make friends with “second-tier” leaders rather than Biden, Olaf Scholz or Emmanuel Macron."

The point is this: Ukraine is all Boris's Christmases come at once and still not ahead in the polls.

I think there is actually a Brexit angle here. This is the first significant international event since Brexit, so we can see how the UK is likely to fit into the international setup from now on. I think G7 will be the main multilateral platform for the UK in a category that could be described as "other important Western countries" that consists of Canada and Japan, and now the UK, and which should also probably include Australia even though it's not part of G7.

Basically the US and European countries hammer out a position where the EU acts as the forum for European countries to come to a consensus. Then they turn to the G7 to try to bring the remaining three countries into the fold
  • Options
    Leon said:

Zhenya Jenny Dove
    @FitMouse
    @ScotTories
    @BorisJohnson

I only have a one bed flat but I am nonetheless willing to make the sacrifice, and take Zhenya Dove in, as a refugee. Somehow we will make it work. That's the kind of of guy I am
    And you have a gender-neutral toilet indoors, so it will be ideal.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,382
    Under fire from whom? I have only heard about it on here and it doesn’t appear to have troubled the news.
  • Options
    MalcolmDunnMalcolmDunn Posts: 139
    I thought OGH could come up with a better headline than this. BBC and ITV not reporting this aspect of his speech at all. Who really cares what the Guardian thinks?
  • Options
    JACK_W said:
    Boris - " And I pressed my finger on the red button for Russia and boom ... the next oligarch was on the phone quicker than you could say Tory donor."

"I had these IT lessons, from a girl. Youngish. Similar to you, but blonde. Nice girl. Lovely flat. Anyway, I was told if I pressed crt-z the screen would go blank, or copy something, or... I don't know. I can't remember.

Do you offer IT lessons?"

• Options
    what is everyone drinking tonight - i am on the red wine
  • Options

A rather nice New Zealand Sauvignon blanc, a little more expensive and a little sharper than I usually have.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,326
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Under fire from whom? I have only heard about it on here and it doesn’t appear to have troubled the news.

It's the lead item on Fox News here in LA.

[Edit to add: not really. Only on CNN.]
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,177

Red wine too, a 2017 Malbec.

Am entertaining this weekend, so just popped in to say good luck to England, and that Alanis Morisette would have liked that Bottas out qualified Russell.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A rather nice New Zealand Sauvignon blanc, a little more expensive and a little sharper than I usually have.
    Yet your posts don’t seem any different?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,507
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Actually Sky have just covered it but to an onlooker the reception he received from conservatives was extraordinary and Sky highlighted how his claim about 8 current shadow cabinet members recently voted to abolish the UK's independent nuclear deterrent has been angrily rejected by labour

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-putin-in-a-panic-over-revolution-in-moscow-as-he-seeks-to-snuff-out-freedom-in-ukraine-boris-johnson-says-12570095
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,035

Half a litre of Albanian house red. Probably have a raki and then see if the Irish pub in town is showing England - France
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,556
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What is a woman?

It was irresistible, tho I was thinking more Charles Aznavour on xanax and armagnac. But a drunken Peter O Toole (is there, conceptually, a sober Peter O'Toole?) is apt, as well
    It was quite nice actually. But this stunt of yours - constantly talking about trans on here in order to complain how the left are constantly talking about trans - is due a snip. So that'll be it for now and indeed for a while.

It's dwarfed by the main topic - Johnson. Relating Ukraine's fight against Putin to Brexit. How the fuck can anybody even contemplate voting for this simultaneously absurd and disgusting individual if he's still there at the GE?

Suggest you think a bit about that one. Seriously, I think you should.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,839
    edited March 2022
    Help!

I'm playing scrabble with Midge Ure, I've only got four letters left, but they mean nothing to me.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

It's the lead item on Fox News here in LA.

[Edit to add: not really. Only on CNN.]
    Fake news. CNN will be showing adverts about watches or travel companies, punctuated by three milliseconds of headlines every two hours. Or is that only CNN International?
  • Options

Cup of tea
  • Options

Tesco Cotes du Rhone Villages, preceded by Barra gin and Fevertree
  • Options

Farooq said:

It’s weird how the Left gets characterised as a bunch of humourless fucks
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,953

To me everything has changed and how each party faces the huge problems going forward will decide GE24

I do expect problems for labour and the SNP if they object to the development of oil and gas fields within the UK as we becoming self sufficient in the transition to net zero and stop importing energy, not just from Russia but elsewhere when we can provide it ourselves and with high paid UK jobs

Net Zero is one thing - being self-sufficient in energy is another. We can ramp up oil and gas production but that won't make us net zero - investing more in renewables seems the obvious way forward and it wasn't that long ago we had 0% of our energy derived from coal on some days.

The other side of the equation is how much energy we use and whether a few simple measures could reduce our energy consumption but that will depend on the degree to which we are prepared to change (or compromise) our lifestyle to reduce energy consumption. That's going to be the harder sell.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Farooq said:

A joke aimed at myself, moreover. Jeeeeez
  • Options

Me too. Bindi Sergardi Simbiosi Toscana IGP
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A rubbish white wine that Sainsburys replaced my red wine order with. I mean who picks the stuff at Sainsbury's? We haven't got the red wine he wanted so we will replace with white?

First world problem obs.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,013

Cup of tea
    Wine then port.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Am entertaining this weekend, so just popped in to say good luck to England, and that Alanis Morisette would have liked that Bottas out qualified Russell.
    French, or New World?

This matters, I find the Argentinian ones too syrupy.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Net Zero is one thing - being self-sufficient in energy is another. We can ramp up oil and gas production but that won't make us net zero - investing more in renewables seems the obvious way forward and it wasn't that long ago we had 0% of our energy derived from coal on some days.

The other side of the equation is how much energy we use and whether a few simple measures could reduce our energy consumption but that will depend on the degree to which we are prepared to change (or compromise) our lifestyle to reduce energy consumption. That's going to be the harder sell.
    The two can be counterbalanced, of course.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

A rubbish white wine that Sainsburys replaced my red wine order with. I mean who picks the stuff at Sainsbury's? We haven't got the red wine he wanted so we will replace with white?

First world problem obs.
    Probably tipped Putin over the edge when Ocado-ski did that to him.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,177
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

French, or New World?

This matters, I find the Argentinian ones too syrupy.
    French one. Clos La Cotale.

Everyone gone to bed (midnight here), leaving me on my own to watch the rugby.
  • Options
    I’m in a Highgate pub to watch the rugby with pals. Big glass of Sauvignon blanc with far too much ice
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

First world problem obs.
    Weird, though. Unless it was a cabernet sauvignon/sauvignon blanc thing or similar.

still weird, though
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m in a Highgate pub to watch the rugby with pals. Big glass of Sauvignon blanc with far too much ice

Does this mean that London is officially back? :smiley:
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,035

Half a litre of Albanian house red. Probably have a raki and then see if the Irish pub in town is showing England - France
    Bollocks. Ordered a raki and bakllava and it's at least a double. Have a fairly early time tomoz too.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 789

Innis and Gunn Lager for me. Decided to boycott the Brew Dog since they're pretty rotten to women, and there's not much choice at the Co-Op otherwise. Tesco's have a decent selection of 'fancy cans' but I've not been out.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,672
    Farooq said:

I'm a vegetarian actually :)
  • Options

Help!

I'm playing scrabble with Midge Ure, I've only got four letters left, but they mean nothing to me.

Is Midge

a) Scottish?
    b) Anyone of whom I should have heard?

On your question.

Are websites applicable? I am sure there is a telecomms one called VONR .

Or if you can find an E on the board, ROVEN is available.

(Roven is the past tense for reeve, which is a nautical term for passing a rope through a hole or ring.)
  • Options
    stodge said:

It is a balance but it is a 20 year transition

I would recommend that HMG makes energy efficiency in homes a statutory requirement with a minimum rating of C required on the sale of property, thereby making improving energy efficiency a real positive but also that house sales will need to reflect in negotiations the costs and no doubt the owner reducing the price or the buyer greeing to make the investment

I understand some mortgages are available at at lower interest rates already for energy efficient homes

The cost according to X rebellion is one trillion to insulate all our homes and that is not possible from the government purse
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,758
    So now PB's leading apologist for Putin in his invasion, is now doing a 180 in condemning Putin for his invasion?

Copy-catting Boris Johnson in appeasing Putin then, while condemning him now.

And for same self-serving crap-politico motivation.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,275

Cup of tea
    I am in the pub 🍺👍
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cup of tea
    Wine then port.
    I only drink port at Christmas.

Am I weird?
  • Options

stodge said:

It is a balance but it is a 20 year transition

I would recommend that HMG makes energy efficiency in homes a statutory requirement with a minimum rating of C required on the sale of property, thereby making improving energy efficiency a real positive but also that house sales will need to reflect in negotiations the costs and no doubt the owner reducing the price or the buyer greeing to make the investment

I understand some mortgages are available at at lower interest rates already for energy efficient homes

The cost according to X rebellion is one trillion to insulate all our homes and that is not possible from the government purse
    It won't cost anything like a trillion. XR are dickheads.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    I have just looked up the NHS Constitution.

In the section headed "Patients and the public: your rights and the NHS pledges to you" it says this -

"You have the right not to be unlawfully discriminated against in the provision of NHS services including on grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or marital or civil partnership status."

Anyone like to tell me what's wrong with this pledge?
This discussion has been closed.