Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Not Again …. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.
    It was only a matter of time I guess.

We might need to see the full context. Contrasting how we can just pop down the polling station and change our nation's direction, the Ukrainians try that and have to face a Russian invasion.
    The full context appears to include the war on woke.

https://twitter.com/BenQuinn75/status/1505160554608009216?s=20&t=M28TyD-odS8S7blvAKJvZQ
    I really think Tory strategists try too hard on the war on woke stuff. It comes across as distraction, when all they would need to do is highlight some of the more extreme and ridiculous instances of people quibbling about pronouns or cancelling things etc, and I think the general public can and does apply common sense on the ridiculous element. The Tories don't need to fan that fire, and the extent they do can undermine it by turning what for many public might be just a common sense issue, into a political one which will push people to take a partisan side instead.
    Disagree

Most people are sensible about politics and therefore WAAAAAAY less well-informed than us geeks. And, as we see, many of the geeks on here don't understand Woke, or don't want to understand it, some refuse to believe it exists (which is actually understandable, in a way, because elements of it are so truly bizarre. It's a bit like the Victorians who refused to believe the first descriptions of a duck billed platypus)

Therefore if you want to raise awareness and get people as angry as they should be, you have to be pretty damn brutal and heavy handed. The Republicans have shown that waging the Culture Wars can win elections, if you go in hard enough. They won Virginia thereby

Someone should ask Starmer if a rape took place in that hospital. Because of his Wokeness, he won't be able to answer coherently. A well timed bomb like that could, by itself, win the GE for the Tories, by turning millions of despairing women away from Labour
    Starmer is a reasonable guy, but his party membership is batshit insane and Starmer needs them. So the Tories should force him to answer questions that divides the public from the Labour activists.

- Was there a rape at this hospital?
    - Will you take off the income threshold for immigration?
    - Do you believe Diane Abbott's past comments are racist?
    Yes, that's the way to do it. Along with highlighting the crazier and nastier examples of actual Wokeness "gone wrong"

And the Tories need to hammer this. Raise awareness
    Didn’t single sex wards used to be a Labour campaigning point, or was that the tories?
    How are single sex wards a help when all you need to do to get on one is say "I identify as a woman" and don't claim it won't happen as it already does for single sex prisons
    This is at the heart of the supposed or real distinction between sex and gender.
    How do single sex wards stop murderers if all you have to do to get on a ward is to say "I'm not a murderer"?
    I've thought about it a bit more. Maybe we shouldn't allow patients on wards because there is a tiny risk that one of those patients is a murderer? And people that identify as men are far more likely to be murderers than anyone else. So men definitely shouldn't allowed in hospital. Even as doctors. Look at Harold Shipman if you want a concrete example. Don't understand why we still train them in the profession. Too risky.
    How amusing and insightful, but an actual woman has been actually, you know, raped, in at least one and allegedly half a dozen other known cases. Raped.

Let's all laugh at your witty little paradox.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Leon said:

Leon said:

Military "expertise"

@Dura_Ace said:

"We destroyed a grand total of two Iraqi tanks with ATGMs across both Gulf Wars.

Hezbollah have destroyed five Israeli tanks over about 15 years despite firing (literally) thousands of ATGM rounds at them.

The two British C-17 loads of NLAW aren't going to make any difference beyond the politics of the gesture."

When did @Dura_Ace say that?!
    Jan 18th. I'd forgotten that I'd bookmarked it just in case.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3751935#Comment_3751935
    Laughable.

To be fair everyone else got their Ukrainian predictions wrong as well, but @Dura_Ace likes to claim special military insight

Oh dear
    It didn't look like he even wanted us to help at all a fortnight later.

"I don't know why a corrupt shithole like Ukraine is our problem all of a sudden."

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3778074#Comment_3778074
    Too busy pretending everyone believes Ukrainian casualty reports are 100% accurate and stunning people with the revelation they are not.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Interesting interview with the head of Ukraine's negotiating team - I know some here feel intellinews is biased to Russia, but this seems lucid, reasonable and as entirely pro-Ukrainian as you'd expect in his position:

https://www.intellinews.com/they-don-t-know-ukraine-head-of-peace-talks-delegation-on-kyiv-s-cautious-optimism-238584/?source=ukraine

The negotiators are being strikingly polite about each other. By implication, the move is towards neutrality with a Swiss-style militia and multiple guarantees, de facto acknowledgement without de jure recognition of Russian control of Donbas and Crimea, and some general wording to enable both sides to sell the deal to their domestic audiences. Abolishing sanctions isn't part of the deal; Ukraine will leave it to the West to decide what sanctions to maintain.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    ydoethur said:

Ferrari and Red Bull lock out the front two rows. Mercedes quite a way back.

So far off the pace. More than a second in a single lap. Really hard to believe that kind of performance can be recovered during the season. No 8th title for Hamilton this year.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

We might need to see the full context. Contrasting how we can just pop down the polling station and change our nation's direction, the Ukrainians try that and have to face a Russian invasion.

https://twitter.com/BenQuinn75/status/1505160554608009216?s=20&t=M28TyD-odS8S7blvAKJvZQ
    I really think Tory strategists try too hard on the war on woke stuff. It comes across as distraction, when all they would need to do is highlight some of the more extreme and ridiculous instances of people quibbling about pronouns or cancelling things etc, and I think the general public can and does apply common sense on the ridiculous element. The Tories don't need to fan that fire, and the extent they do can undermine it by turning what for many public might be just a common sense issue, into a political one which will push people to take a partisan side instead.
    Disagree

Most people are sensible about politics and therefore WAAAAAAY less well-informed than us geeks. And, as we see, many of the geeks on here don't understand Woke, or don't want to understand it, some refuse to believe it exists (which is actually understandable, in a way, because elements of it are so truly bizarre. It's a bit like the Victorians who refused to believe the first descriptions of a duck billed platypus)

Therefore if you want to raise awareness and get people as angry as they should be, you have to be pretty damn brutal and heavy handed. The Republicans have shown that waging the Culture Wars can win elections, if you go in hard enough. They won Virginia thereby

Someone should ask Starmer if a rape took place in that hospital. Because of his Wokeness, he won't be able to answer coherently. A well timed bomb like that could, by itself, win the GE for the Tories, by turning millions of despairing women away from Labour
    Starmer is a reasonable guy, but his party membership is batshit insane and Starmer needs them. So the Tories should force him to answer questions that divides the public from the Labour activists.

Yes, that's the way to do it. Along with highlighting the crazier and nastier examples of actual Wokeness "gone wrong"

Didn’t single sex wards used to be a Labour campaigning point, or was that the tories?
    How are single sex wards a help when all you need to do to get on one is say "I identify as a woman" and don't claim it won't happen as it already does for single sex prisons
    Except that self declaration is a legitimate reason to discriminate even with gender self ID under the 2010 Equality act, much as @DavidL suggested earlier, provided there is a sound reason

See chapter 3 in this from Parliament:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmwomeq/977/report.html

So the outrage bus need not depart.

To quote from chapter 3:

"145. The Equality Act contains a number of limited circumstances, also known as exceptions, where discrimination against someone with a protected characteristic is permitted; this includes exceptions for gender reassignment. These exceptions include sport, single-sex and separate-sex services, genuine occupational requirements, marriage and insurance.237

146. When the Government first launched its consultation into the reform of the GRA, it stated that it did “not intend to make any amendments to the existing exceptions in the Equality Act 2010 associated with the ‘gender reassignment’ protected characteristic’”.238"
    Yep. There's a yawning disconnect between the lurid tabloidy discourse on this and what the actual GRA reforms would likely mean in practice if they were to be implemented.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

This is at the heart of the supposed or real distinction between sex and gender.
    How do single sex wards stop murderers if all you have to do to get on a ward is to say "I'm not a murderer"?
    I've thought about it a bit more. Maybe we shouldn't allow patients on wards because there is a tiny risk that one of those patients is a murderer? And people that identify as men are far more likely to be murderers than anyone else. So men definitely shouldn't allowed in hospital. Even as doctors. Look at Harold Shipman if you want a concrete example. Don't understand why we still train them in the profession. Too risky.
    How amusing and insightful, but an actual woman has been actually, you know, raped, in at least one and allegedly half a dozen other known cases. Raped.

One of the most amazing things about the Woke madness is that you end up with feminist leftwingers DIMINISHING the significance of rape, or even denying rapes ever happened when they clearly did

It's kinda mind-boggling; 100 years of feminism.... to end up here
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    The Ukrainian military are claiming to have shot down a Russian Tochka Tactical Ballistic Missile with a Stinger.

Do we have any military types online who could assess whether this is a realistic claim?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

My great great g g g g (x 38) grandfather fought and won the Siege of Chartres in 911, after which he converted to fierce Catholicism, seized many lands west of the Seine, and married a five year old girl.

My family KNOWS what war does to you. Don’t need reminding.

DavidL said:

Leon said:

The awful trans rape hospital story FPT

It ties in with the Woke debate. People still try to deny that Woke exists, or, if it does, that it matters. Well here is proof that it exists and that yes it really matters

Part of Wokeness is the elevation of extreme identity politics to a (deliberately?) destructive level - way beyond common sense. Critical Race Theory is one example: all white people are inherently racist and can never atone, etc

Another is the trans debate and “intersectionality” - the *value* of your identity depends on how oppressed you are. A trans person is apparently more oppressed than almost anyone therefore they must be protected more than others, lest you commit the awful crime of transphobia

Hence you get the grotesque situation where a woman’s legitimate rape complaint is flatly denied, as to admit it would be “transphobic”: denying the self-identified gender of the rapist by calling her “a man”

Perhaps the criminal law needs a different standard. We already have beyond reasonable doubt v balance of probabilities in civil law. Perhaps there needs to be a different standard that a "woman" has to pass the test of their gender being beyond reasonable doubt before being accepted - and not "because I say I am a woman".
    The slight reservation I have about this is that it reminds me of the gays in the armed forces debate. The hypothesis of that was that gays might get excited by their male colleagues being naked etc and be a threat to them because they are that way inclined. It was, of course, complete nonsense. There was no more risk of a gay person being predatory than a hetrosexual person being so. We moved past that with little difficulty.

I have no doubt that trans people are exactly the same. The vast majority of them will, like heterosexuals or gays, be completely harmless and a threat to no one. But a loophole has been created and exploited by what are in fact heterosexual predators to get into what are meant to be protected spaces.

How do we deal with this loophole? One way, as I mentioned on the previous thread, is to gender neutralise the crime as we have in Scotland. The other is to set the goalposts for these protected areas slightly higher. So, in the general community you can self identify as whatever you like but if you want to get into those protected spaces you need to be sufficiently far along in the treatment that you are no longer biologically functional as a male.

Quite why this practical issue has caused so much hysteria simply baffles me.
    Come off it David.

You know perfectly well that the proposed GRA reform proposed by Sturgeon removes pretty much all requirements before one can legally transition: no requirement for a medical diagnosis, no requirement for chemical treatment or surgery, no requirement to prove that one has lived as an acquired gender for a prolonged period and one can do it at 16.

So anyone - anyone not just those who are genuinely trans - can legally change and get access to womens spaces.

What do you think this means? It widens the loophole so much it's pretty much the size of a prairie. And what will that mean? It will make it much much easier for male sexual predators to get access to women. As indeed has already happened - in prisons in England, for instance - and in other countries where effective self-ID has already happened.

The Scottish proposal fundamentally changes the scope of people who can call themselves women. It does not improve matters for trans people. It gives any male the opportunity to do so without needing to do anything at all beyond sign a form. You say that trans people are not a threat to anyone. But when trans effectively means a man who does not need a diagnosis or treatment the risk from them is the same as from other men ie high. Not low. There have been studies of the number of trans men in prison for sexual offences and they show, tho more analysis is needed, that they have a higher rate of sexual offending than others.

I could fill a thread with the names of men claiming to be trans in prison with offences for sexual violence against women. And if the Scottish government has its way, life will be made much easier for them to claim to be women and access women in spaces where women and girls should be able to feel safe. If Labour and the Lib Dems have their way the same will happen in England.

This is wrong. There is a reason why women need women only spaces. Men - with male bodies - are not women and should not be in womens' spaces.

If men with gender dysphoria want or need their own space, let men give up their spaces for them. Let's make male spaces gender neutral and let women (just women) have their own spaces.
    As a man who does not believe himself female and is not predatory on women (you will have to take my word for that though). I cannot think of a single reason why, if convicted of an offence with a prison sentence, that I would not decide to self identify as a woman for the duration. Would I rather be locked up in a womens prison or a male prison.....not even a close call there.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Welsh rugby fans are worse than the rain in Manchester. At least God stops that occasionally.

I don't know what you mean. Blue and red will all get p***** together in The Old Arcade this evening.

And Welsh Rugby fans are like Corbynistas they love nothing more than complaining about their own side.

Abolishing sanctions isn't part of the deal; Ukraine will leave it to the West to decide what sanctions to maintain.

Good.

Not ssure how Russia resiles from its official recognition of Donbas though, and if they don't what's the point in Ukraine pretending they will ever get them back?

I still see a major difficulty in that unless Russia disarms, which it never will, how can Ukraine say it will move toward something other than what they are currently doing? Guarantees aren't worth shit if Russia wants to try again.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Interesting interview with the head of Ukraine's negotiating team - I know some here feel intellinews is biased to Russia, but this seems lucid, reasonable and as entirely pro-Ukrainian as you'd expect in his position:

https://www.intellinews.com/they-don-t-know-ukraine-head-of-peace-talks-delegation-on-kyiv-s-cautious-optimism-238584/?source=ukraine

The negotiators are being strikingly polite about each other. By implication, the move is towards neutrality with a Swiss-style militia and multiple guarantees, de facto acknowledgement without de jure recognition of Russian control of Donbas and Crimea, and some general wording to enable both sides to sell the deal to their domestic audiences. Abolishing sanctions isn't part of the deal; Ukraine will leave it to the West to decide what sanctions to maintain.

We'll consider lifting them when half the NordStream1 revenues go to Ukraine for rebuilding.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    IshmaelZ said:

British volunteer fighters are feared to have triggered a deadly airstrike on a Ukrainian military base after their phones were detected in the area, the Telegraph can reveal.

At least 35 people were killed, potentially including three British ex-special forces troops, when 30 Russian cruise missiles pulverised the Yavoriv facility, near the Polish border, on March 13.

The target on the base is believed to have been the International Centre for Peacekeeping and Security, where Ukraine has been training foreign civilian recruits for its international brigade.

Now, the Telegraph has learned that around 12 to 14 phone numbers starting with +44 were visible to surveillance equipment in the area in the hours before the missile strike.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/19/ukraine-war-russia-latest-news-peace-talks-putin-zelensky/

sobering

Seems strange. In Ukraine, you get a Ukrainian SIM. I've still got my Lifecell one.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h
    Lukashenko says "Putin is more alive than anyone else", "will survive us all", "in top shape", "never been more in his right mind", "will only catch a cold at our funerals"...

https://twitter.com/christogrozev
    ydoethur said:

Poor quali debut from Russell.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h
    Lukashenko says "Putin is more alive than anyone else", "will survive us all", "in top shape", "never been more in his right mind", "will only catch a cold at our funerals"...

He's as ill as that? No wonder he's in such a state of confusion.
  • Interesting interview with the head of Ukraine's negotiating team - I know some here feel intellinews is biased to Russia, but this seems lucid, reasonable and as entirely pro-Ukrainian as you'd expect in his position:

Nick

Sanctions don't matter any more. Who is going to buy Russian now? Who is going to trade with them.

Nobody is going to trust them.
    edited March 2022
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Except that self declaration is a legitimate reason to discriminate even with gender self ID under the 2010 Equality act, much as @DavidL suggested earlier, provided there is a sound reason

To quote from chapter 3:

"145. The Equality Act contains a number of limited circumstances, also known as exceptions, where discrimination against someone with a protected characteristic is permitted; this includes exceptions for gender reassignment. These exceptions include sport, single-sex and separate-sex services, genuine occupational requirements, marriage and insurance.237

146. When the Government first launched its consultation into the reform of the GRA, it stated that it did “not intend to make any amendments to the existing exceptions in the Equality Act 2010 associated with the ‘gender reassignment’ protected characteristic’”.238"
    Yep. There's a yawning disconnect between the lurid tabloidy discourse on this and what the actual GRA reforms would likely mean in practice if they were to be implemented.
    Problem being that implementation of many policies and laws, in practice, is as blunt, unsophisticated and misguided as a tabloid headline. Governments cannot even get the law correct in their own guidance 100% of the time, and others' guidance on what they think law and practice is is even harder to challenge.

So I do think pointing to the letter of the law to dismiss concerns to be far from the slam dunk people think it is. Not when the risk of even single cases, rather than not being so rushed to adopt something as a moral mission (as it is presented very often), can be so severe. Can that be so casually dismissed because 'likely' in practice it would be ok?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,861
    (On topic:) In 1975, I picked up a little book by Martin Mayer, "Today and Tomorrow in America". Two sentences in it impressed me then, and have been making me think ever since:
    The great advantage of decision-making in an economic market is that markets automatically, routinely, force the recognition of error. Presumably, computers will someday make it possible for a bureaucratic society to recognize and correct mistakes, but this presumption is likely to remain just that, because bureaucracies are fundamentally motivated by fear of the discovery of error.
    Mayer, being a smart guy, went on to describe the many faults of markets, such as short time horizons, but I think his central point applies to an astonishing array of events, from sex scandals in the Catholic Church to the stories just recounted by CycleFree -- who is doing all of you a service.

(There is much else in the book, which would help anyone who wants to understand what happened to the US as the baby boom generation came of age.)
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

To quote from chapter 3:

Problem being that implementation of many policies and laws, in practice, is as blunt, unsophisticated and misguided as a tabloid headline. Governments cannot even get the law correct in their own guidance 100% of the time, and others' guidance on what they think law and practice is is even harder to challenge.

So I do think pointing to the letter of the law to dismiss concerns to be far from the slam dunk people think it is. Not when the risk of even single cases, rather than not being so rushed to adopt something as a moral mission (as it is presented very often), can be so severe. Can that be so casually dismissed because 'likely' in practice it would be ok?
    The question that should be posed to all those who support self identification to be sufficient to access woman only safe spaces is simple.

How many raped women are acceptable collateral damage for you?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555

Even if the Ukrainians accept it, we and they should still be angry. It is quite simply the theft of a nation's territory through force and terrorism. There is no reasonable justification for it. And the global message will be clear. Nuclear armed states can launch aggressive wars with near impunity. Presumably the Crimea and Donbass regions won't actually get a say in their transfer of sovereignty to Russia or it will be done under Russian democratic 'norms.'

IshmaelZ said:

British volunteer fighters are feared to have triggered a deadly airstrike on a Ukrainian military base after their phones were detected in the area, the Telegraph can reveal.

At least 35 people were killed, potentially including three British ex-special forces troops, when 30 Russian cruise missiles pulverised the Yavoriv facility, near the Polish border, on March 13.

The target on the base is believed to have been the International Centre for Peacekeeping and Security, where Ukraine has been training foreign civilian recruits for its international brigade.

Now, the Telegraph has learned that around 12 to 14 phone numbers starting with +44 were visible to surveillance equipment in the area in the hours before the missile strike.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/19/ukraine-war-russia-latest-news-peace-talks-putin-zelensky/

sobering

Seems strange. In Ukraine, you get a Ukrainian SIM. I've still got my Lifecell one.
    BRUSSELS, Feb 28 (Reuters) - From Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE) to AT&T (T.N) to Vodafone (VOD.L), more than a dozen telecoms providers on both sides of the Atlantic are either providing free international calls to Ukraine or are scrapping roaming charges with the country.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/telcos-allow-free-calls-ukraine-waive-roaming-charges-2022-02-28/

Unintended consequences...
    edited March 2022
    Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    ·
    15m
    Several sources tell Germany’s DW that wounded Russian soldiers are filling up hospitals in south Belarusian cities. Plus field hospital set up in Narovlya, near border with Ukraine. One source says many wounded soldiers arrived in Mazyr "without arms, legs, ears and eyes."

https://twitter.com/afneil

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    Some arrived too late and already had gangrene. Some had not eaten for five days, arrived disoriented and wanted to call their parents

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h

Why is it dictators and their lickspittles inevitably push the personal strength and ability stuff so absurdly far? Not enough the health rumours are nonsense or whatever, he must be 'more alive than anyone else'. Is it a competition, and the bootlickers constantly seek to outdo one another in praise until next thing you know they are claiming the sun shines out of the dear leader's arse, and don't even realise that absurdity makes them seem weaker, not stronger?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Damn I’m glad I’m watching this match!

Sorry @ydoethur

I would call you a bastard for gloating, but that would leave me nowhere to go for @TSE ...
    Pivac has underwhelmed. I am glad that Italy have had another 6 Nations victory. All the "Italy should be replaced in the Six Nations by South Africa" nonsense will hopefully be placed on the back seat.
    Hey, hold on a minute. Italy winning a game isn't the problem, it's Wales losing.

If Italy had beaten England or France I'd be cheering so loudly TSE would actually kill me.
    **** Pivac off and go cap in hand, grovelling for the return of Shaun Edwards is what I would like to see happen next.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362

I am glad that Italy have had another 6 Nations victory. All the "Italy should be replaced in the Six Nations by South Africa" nonsense will hopefully be placed on the back seat.

Maybe England should be replaced...
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    IshmaelZ said:

@NickPalmer I must apologise for purporting to out you as a commie sleeper the night before last.

but all this is to explain, not to excuse.

Thank you for the apology, all forgiven. I won't engage with the details, if you don't mind - I do see your reasoning, and apart from disagreeing with your conclusions I'll leave it there.
  • Is the hospital rapist going to be sent to a women's prison?

IshmaelZ said:

@NickPalmer I must apologise for purporting to out you as a commie sleeper the night before last.

but all this is to explain, not to excuse.

Thank you for the apology, all forgiven. I won't engage with the details, if you don't mind - I do see your reasoning, and apart from disagreeing with your conclusions I'll leave it there.
    Agreed.
    Distressing postings from Andrew Neil. We should remember the RU kids who are being forced to carry out this outrage by mad vlad.

Even if the Ukrainians accept it, we and they should still be angry. It is quite simply the theft of a nation's territory through force and terrorism. There is no reasonable justification for it. And the global message will be clear. Nuclear armed states can launch aggressive wars with near impunity. Presumably the Crimea and Donbass regions won't actually get a say in their transfer of sovereignty to Russia or it will be done under Russian democratic 'norms.'
    Also: who pays for the Rebuilding of Ukraine? It needs to be Russia, but they won't agree. A major obstacle
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    kle4 said:

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h

Why is it dictators and their lickspittles inevitably push the personal strength and ability stuff so absurdly far? Not enough the health rumours are nonsense or whatever, he must be 'more alive than anyone else'. Is it a competition, and the bootlickers constantly seek to outdo one another in praise until next thing you know they are claiming the sun shines out of the dear leader's arse, and don't even realise that absurdity makes them seem weaker, not stronger?
    "Живее всех живых" is a quote from Mayakovksy about Lenin, after he was already dead. Not sure if it was intentional on Lukashenko's part.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110

Nick

Sanctions don't matter any more. Who is going to buy Russian now? Who is going to trade with them.

Russian debt default 1998 did not put many people off for long.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Distressing postings from Andrew Neil. We should remember the RU kids who are being forced to carry out this outrage by mad vlad.

What did he say?

There ar two paths in this with regards to the average Russian. My view is that we should ruin all of their days - the idea being that they'll go home and kill the dork. The other theme is to embrace all Russians beyond a poison few. I can't see how that works despite it being my initial thought.

Nick

This is different. Russia is now a pariah state for the west

However, I am sure the Chinese will be happy to snap up Russian assets at bargain prices. Maybe even entire Siberian provinces
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

I do wish people would stop talking horseshit.

WTF do the likes of you or fruity Leon or any of the umpteen clueless reactionary dingbats on here know about our party's membership or about racism or about transgender people.

Fuck all. Absolutely sweet fuck all. C'mon. Seriously.

Feel a Covid relapse coming on now. Thanks a bunch.
    If you were less narrowminded, incurious and intellectually middlebrow, you'd realise we are talking sense, and that, if you actually listened to us, Labour would benefit. This is a real issue and it is now getting real traction

See the Times story on the rape case

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hospital-dismissed-claim-of-rape-by-trans-attacker-bssxvbqch

It has generated more comments than any other story in the paper today, and they are still coming. And most of them are incensed and angry, and shouting at the Lefty Woke people. ie Labour. Most of them are women

Woke is finally emerging into the daylight of public awareness, via stories like this. There is much danger here for The UK Left, just see what is happening to the Dems in America
    I look forward to 'NHS scandals under the Tories' being pushed as a reason to re-elect the Tories.

Along with 'don't vote for ex-DPP Sir Keir Sanity Starmer cos he's a crazy wokie'.

It'll be quite the campaign.
    Would that be the same as this Keir "Sanity" Starmer? -

Keir Starmer: "It's wrong to say 'only women have a cervix"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r81aZGJHDeM
    That's a statement of fact, surely.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

The Equality Act specifically allows transgender people to be discriminated against on the grounds of sex in certain circumstances if it is a proportionate measure necessary to achieve a legitimate aim. Briefly, you can do so in order to have single sex wards, loos etc. The hospital was not obliged to allow a man claiming to be a woman onto a woman's ward. In doing so it breached its duty of care to the woman and compounded that initial error by then being less than honest when a crime occurred.

There is a conflict between good safeguarding practice and accepting people at their own estimation. The latter is a breach of good safeguarding practice. It would be good if this could be understood so that practical solutions could be found, rather than pretending that there are no issues.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

sobering

BRUSSELS, Feb 28 (Reuters) - From Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE) to AT&T (T.N) to Vodafone (VOD.L), more than a dozen telecoms providers on both sides of the Atlantic are either providing free international calls to Ukraine or are scrapping roaming charges with the country.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/telcos-allow-free-calls-ukraine-waive-roaming-charges-2022-02-28/

Unintended consequences...
    Very poor comms security too.
  • Interesting interview with the head of Ukraine's negotiating team - I know some here feel intellinews is biased to Russia, but this seems lucid, reasonable and as entirely pro-Ukrainian as you'd expect in his position:

Nick

Think this is a bit different though, DJ. They're pariahs, whatever they do next.
    kle4 said:

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h

Are you saying that Stalin is too heavy?
    Cyclefree said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

The Equality Act specifically allows transgender people to be discriminated against on the grounds of sex in certain circumstances if it is a proportionate measure necessary to achieve a legitimate aim. Briefly, you can do so in order to have single sex wards, loos etc. The hospital was not obliged to allow a man claiming to be a woman onto a woman's ward. In doing so it breached its duty of care to the woman and compounded that initial error by then being less than honest when a crime occurred.

There is a conflict between good safeguarding practice and accepting people at their own estimation. The latter is a breach of good safeguarding practice. It would be good if this could be understood so that practical solutions could be found, rather than pretending that there are no issues.
    Which was the point I made to foxy....it doesnt matter what the law says if the law isn't being used. Sadly it is far easier to make the decision not to apply it because the decision maker knows if they do they will get Stonewall or its like making a fuss and bringing court cases whereas if things go spoons people will try and help them cover up.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

WTF do the likes of you or fruity Leon or any of the umpteen clueless reactionary dingbats on here know about our party's membership or about racism or about transgender people.

If you were less narrowminded, incurious and intellectually middlebrow, you'd realise we are talking sense, and that, if you actually listened to us, Labour would benefit. This is a real issue and it is now getting real traction

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hospital-dismissed-claim-of-rape-by-trans-attacker-bssxvbqch

It has generated more comments than any other story in the paper today, and they are still coming. And most of them are incensed and angry, and shouting at the Lefty Woke people. ie Labour. Most of them are women

Woke is finally emerging into the daylight of public awareness, via stories like this. There is much danger here for The UK Left, just see what is happening to the Dems in America
    I look forward to 'NHS scandals under the Tories' being pushed as a reason to re-elect the Tories.

Along with 'don't vote for ex-DPP Sir Keir Sanity Starmer cos he's a crazy wokie'.

No, a woman who identifies as a man is a man with a cervix. Your question could get you cancelled out of a job in a UK university.
  • Ros Chappell #StandWithUkraine ⭐️UK Rejoin 🇪🇺
    @RosChappell
    I can't imagine how @Kasparov63 feels, having warned the West for years that Putin won't stopped until he is stopped, warned them it only gets harder to stop Putin with time. And watching the West still do too little too late.
    #StandWithUkriane 🇺🇦

Garry Kasparov
    @Kasparov63
    Imagine how the Ukrainians feel about it! They don’t understand why the West is doing so little despite appeasing and funding their invader for eight years. They have little confidence the world will stay engaged as Putin’s war continues.

Finally sending arms is better than nothing, but does the West want to save the free world from tyranny or just be Amazon Prime for Lockheed? They encouraged this war by refusing to take risks to stop Putin in 2014. Now they’re doing it again.

Most of the arguments for letting Putin own Ukraine preemptively begin from “we must never engage Russian forces” and work backwards. Work forward from Ukraine being a sovereign nation you said you’d protect, fighting for values you claim to represent.

NATO should have been in Ukraine from day 1, as it’s a huge security threat to have this war next door with millions of refugees. An ounce of prevention, yes? Instead, they let Putin order them around, accepting his every demand. This only makes him more dangerous.

The idea that Putin wants a war with NATO he works so hard to avoid, or that NATO menacing or even destroying his forces to save Ukraine would help him is absurd. He says this is a war with NATO and the US anyway, so who are you trying to impress with your restraint? Russians?

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1505190450717773825
  • Scott_xP said:

I am glad that Italy have had another 6 Nations victory. All the "Italy should be replaced in the Six Nations by South Africa" nonsense will hopefully be placed on the back seat.

Maybe England should be replaced...
    Georgia have had a decent claim for some time.
    Omnium said:

What did he say?

There ar two paths in this with regards to the average Russian. My view is that we should ruin all of their days - the idea being that they'll go home and kill the dork. The other theme is to embrace all Russians beyond a poison few. I can't see how that works despite it being my initial thought.
    It was a couple of tweets from Neil about rU kid soldiers with terrible injuries flooding into field hospitals in Belorussia. See my earlier post.
    Leon said:

Also: who pays for the Rebuilding of Ukraine? It needs to be Russia, but they won't agree. A major obstacle
    Since we've frozen $300bn of their money I can't see the problem. Perhaps those better informed on finance (RCS?) can explain what the problem with this is.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Leon said:

Use the frozen Russian assets? The West to create a re-building fund, and take the Russian assets in compensation.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

No, a woman who identifies as a man is a man with a cervix. Your question could get you cancelled out of a job in a UK university.
    Hopefully not as a Biology lecturer?

Thanks for another excellent piece, Cyclefree.

May I just add that my daughter was sexually interfered with by our local GP, Dr Alan Tutin, when she was sixteen. It was a fairly minor case and I never heard anything about it until about seven years later when she was one of a number of women who voluntairly submitted evidence to the GMC in support of another local girl who had been much more seriously assaulted by him.

The GMC threw the case out, which surprised me because it implied that my daughter and numerous other impartial and well-educated young women were lying.

Many years later, in 2019, he was convicted at the Old Bailey in a high profile case at which my daughter again gave evidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48299118

He had of course been practicing in the interim. We can only guess at the number of victims he assaulted between the two hearings, but I think it is fair to say it was likely to have been a lot.

What lessons do we draw? In Tutin's case it is very simple. The GMC is a trade union, which defends its members regardless. Its responsibilities to the public are a secondary issue, if that.

I see no evidence that it has changed its ways as a result of my daughter's case, or any of those you mention. I do not see any reason to think it will change unless forced to do so. It has a deeply entrenched posiiton and there is little pressure on it to show the same concern for you and me as it does for its members.

What a dreadful story. So sorry to read that.
    kle4 said:

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h

I think therapists call what Lukashenko just said as "projection".
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    Test

Fashions change so quickly, I see ‘I will continue to vote for the FLSOJ party cos of Woke and women with penises’ is the new ‘I voted for the FLSOJ party cos of Corbyn’. I just can’t keep up!

Trying to picture how they think the Labour manifesto will handle this hot potato.

"We believe biological sex is an outmoded concept with no value in today's funky world. Gender is where it's at. Gender gender gender. And, hey, people, you just pick your own depending how you feel. Each morning, after your shower your shit and your shave, if you do shave, that is, face or wherever, no pressure there, up to you, now decide what's it gonna be today, woman, man, something else? Fine. That's you sorted for the day."

But I doubt it myself. I mean I'd be surprised.

Test

Didn't work
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I am one of the youngest members here, wokeism is irrelevant to me and all my friends. Leon is chatting nonsense as usual

This would be a reasonable point - if you had any friends. As you clearly don't, it somewhat devalues the rest of your commentary here. Sorry
    Leon you go on holiday by yourself
    To get away from all my friends and family

That is actually true. lol
    Really? You used to say it was for work related reasons. All your best dildos were knapped while on holiday, apparently.
    Inspired by Easter Island or staycations near Stonehenge?
    Farooq said:

Boris is still c*nt then

Something of a random post.

A correct answer, but please show your workings.
    edited March 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Another problem here is rules going way beyond the law.

In the case of the NHS, it is a trans-rights gender ideology agenda apparently introduced by Stonewall, which produced "Annex B":

"Lady Nicholson added: 'The result of Annex B is that hospital trusts inform ward sisters and nurses that if there is a male, as a trans person, in a female ward, and a female patient or anyone complains, they must be told that it is not true - there is no male there."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10625997/Hospital-said-rape-single-sex-ward-not-possible-revealing-one-patient-trans.html

Meanwhile

"Yvette Cooper has become the second shadow cabinet minister in two days to decline to define what a woman is, describing the subject as a “rabbit hole”.

The shadow home secretary refused three times to spell out a definition"

(The Times ££)

Labour can kiss goodbye to the votes of millions of women if the Tories can get this right
    Omnium said:

Test

Didn't work
    :lol:

My previous quoted post wouldn't work because it said it was a character too short! Not a great loss to PB, it was a very boring thought on the NHS.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I am one of the youngest members here, wokeism is irrelevant to me and all my friends. Leon is chatting nonsense as usual

This would be a reasonable point - if you had any friends. As you clearly don't, it somewhat devalues the rest of your commentary here. Sorry
    Leon you go on holiday by yourself
    To get away from all my friends and family

That is actually true. lol
    Really? You used to say it was for work related reasons. All your best dildos were knapped while on holiday, apparently.
    Inspired by Easter Island or staycations near Stonehenge?
    I've only been to Stonehenge once. I took a cycle ride up from Salisbury and managed to get rather a nice photo of it from the fence line. It's the home screen for my left monitor.

Omnium said:

Test

Didn't work

My previous quoted post wouldn't work because it said it was a character too short! Not a great loss to PB, it was a very boring thought on the NHS.
    Probably a pointed bracket in the wrong place effectively creating the post as one giant blockquote. That's what caused the issue when I had the same problem.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

No. The point is that this hospital failed to care for the patients who were it's responsibility at every stage, and then tried to cover it up, including trying to blame it on "woke" ideas of letting trans people into a women-only space. That's a ludicrous argument and they should be excoriated for it
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Which was the point I made to foxy....it doesnt matter what the law says if the law isn't being used. Sadly it is far easier to make the decision not to apply it because the decision maker knows if they do they will get Stonewall or its like making a fuss and bringing court cases whereas if things go spoons people will try and help them cover up.
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Law allows people to be excluded under the Equality act when there is good reason. It would be useful for hospitals, prisons, sporting clubs etc to be given guidance via examples as to what reasonable exclusions might be.

Omnium said:

Test

Didn't work

Usually because there is a less than or greater than symbol in the post you're replying to
    mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

No. The point is that this hospital failed to care for the patients who were it's responsibility at every stage, and then tried to cover it up, including trying to blame it on "woke" ideas of letting trans people into a women-only space. That's a ludicrous argument and they should be excoriated for it
    Apologies for an autocorrect it's instead of its.
    Leon said:

Nick

This is different. Russia is now a pariah state for the west

However, I am sure the Chinese will be happy to snap up Russian assets at bargain prices. Maybe even entire Siberian provinces
    Trade with Russia will start again fairly promptly I imagine, with some foot draggers, the closer to the USA's orbit, the greater the delay.
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Test

Didn't work

Probably a pointed bracket in the wrong place effectively creating the post as one giant blockquote. That's what caused the issue when I had the same problem.
    Ah, thanks, and to Ishmael. Never been told off for being too succinct before. :lol:
    mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

That isn't what happened

Omnium said:

What did he say?

It was a couple of tweets from Neil about rU kid soldiers with terrible injuries flooding into field hospitals in Belorussia. See my earlier post.
    It's all so awful. I want one death though; Putin.

Russia is toast whilst the little mad tit is there. Day by day they die, and I'll jump up and down on all of their graves until they get rid of fucking Putin.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022

Nick

Anger at Pepsi deal to sell 2,000 tonnes of Scottish seed potatoes to Russia

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anger-at-pepsi-deal-to-sell-2-000-tonnes-of-scottish-seed-potatoes-to-russia-mbstmvz20

I have seen 2-3 interesting videos from Russians showing the situation in supermarkets and shopping malls. They certainly aren't pro-Putin and they point out prices are up 10-25% on most items (likely to get worse) and yes Ikea, McDonalds etc are closed, but there is still clearly lots of Western companies doing business there e.g one they are in a German owned supermarket that is still pretty well stocked but they point out is expensive for normal Russians....and lots of brands are actually licensing deals that can't just be ripped up e.g. Burger King, KFC and M&S are still operating.
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Apologies for an autocorrect it's instead of its.
    I should also make it clear that this "wit" is an expression of boiling anger at the way institutions like the hospitals and the Met cover up appalling attitudes to vulnerable people, including trying to smear other groups of vulnerable people (e.g. the women's vigil, trans people) to cover up their failings.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456

Nick

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anger-at-pepsi-deal-to-sell-2-000-tonnes-of-scottish-seed-potatoes-to-russia-mbstmvz20
    Styory contains a glaring error. You don't use seed potatoes for food.
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

To quote from chapter 3:

I suggest you read the proposed GRA reforms in Scotland and understand how they impact on the provisions of the Equality Act. In practice they will have quite an impact contrary to what you seem to think.
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

To quote from chapter 3:

The question that should be posed to all those who support self identification to be sufficient to access woman only safe spaces is simple.

How many raped women are acceptable collateral damage for you?
    Then ask the raped women if they're happy about this.

But we know the answer to this already because the English courts have ruled that it is acceptable for a female prisoner to be raped as the price she must pay for a male transgender's right to be housed in a womens' prison.

And we also know that the woman who was raped was not happy about it all because she went to court to get the policy stopped.

But hey - just as long as men get what they want, who cares about women. That's the world we live in.
    mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

That is just not right. There wasn't a general failure at every stage, there were two specific errors: letting the man onto an all woman ward, and then lying about it. Both errors directly attributable to "woke" ideas.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508

Alternatively that is how history has worked consistently throughout the past 1,000 years. Just that we are on the wrong side of it this time.
    IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

That is just not right. There wasn't a general failure at every stage, there were two specific errors: letting the man onto an all woman ward, and then lying about it. Both errors directly attributable to "woke" ideas.
    Quite

@mwadams is so confused or feeble - or both - he can't address the actual issue, but invents an entirely new story

Tsk.

He is sound on matters prehistoric, tho
    Carnyx said:

Nick

I have difficulty in processing that anyone would want to stop potatoes being planted to feed the general populace. 'Ha, mass famine, that'll teach Putin!'.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Poor quali debut from Russell.
    Did anyone follow my tip to lay Mercedes this season ?
    Incidentally, why solar panels rock:

I've put through four loads of laundry today.

Cost of grid electricity - four pence.

(Admittedly, drying them on the washing line has helped somewhat!)
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Legally, this /is/ the current UK position, for someone in possession of a GRC: A GRC document makes you a man (or woman) in the eyes of the law I believe. Anything that carries legal weight has to treat that person as the gender on their GRC.

It’s been this way ever since the Gender Recognition Act of 2004 - this is hardly new fangled legislation.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Carnyx said:

Nick

I'm also rather uncomfortable with extending sanctions to food and food production. Computer chips are one thing. CNC tolls another.... but food?
  • Cyclefree said:

Thanks for another excellent piece, Cyclefree.

May I just add that my daughter was sexually interfered with by our local GP, Dr Alan Tutin, when she was sixteen. It was a fairly minor case and I never heard anything about it until about seven years later when she was one of a number of women who voluntairly submitted evidence to the GMC in support of another local girl who had been much more seriously assaulted by him.

The GMC threw the case out, which surprised me because it implied that my daughter and numerous other impartial and well-educated young women were lying.

Many years later, in 2019, he was convicted at the Old Bailey in a high profile case at which my daughter again gave evidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48299118

He had of course been practicing in the interim. We can only guess at the number of victims he assaulted between the two hearings, but I think it is fair to say it was likely to have been a lot.

What lessons do we draw? In Tutin's case it is very simple. The GMC is a trade union, which defends its members regardless. Its responsibilities to the public are a secondary issue, if that.

I see no evidence that it has changed its ways as a result of my daughter's case, or any of those you mention. I do not see any reason to think it will change unless forced to do so. It has a deeply entrenched posiiton and there is little pressure on it to show the same concern for you and me as it does for its members.

What a dreadful story. So sorry to read that.
    Nn need for sadness, Cyclefree. She's fine now and in the end he got his comeuppance. Should have happened sooner but you know what the GMC is like.

I was keen to mention the case here because it is seldom one has the inside track on a public case and anybody who just read about the story would have been entitled to keep a bit of an open mind.
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Nick

"Saltire is the preferred supplier to Walkers crisps, which is owned by Pepsi Co, so we export about 70% of seed production to Pepsico-owned companies around the world."

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-courier-advertiser-fife-edition/20130415/282265252908805

What are they used for?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140
    Someone should ask Starmer if a rape took place in that hospital. Because of his Wokeness, he won't be
    kjh said:

What a result by Italy.

It's probably enough to end Labour's rule in Wales - nothing is impossible now! :smiley:
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    edited March 2022
    Great header from @Cyclefree.

It is noticeable how many maternity scandals up and down the land there have been. I think this indicates more than a local problem, but rather something that maternity departments are at high risk of.

Nothing new of course, when I was a student the battle over Wendy Savage* was in full swing. Obstetrics and Psychiatry are both very politically charged subjects, with the politics of female autonomy (abortion rights, NCT, natural childbirth) vs what is depicted as male control of medicine, and with psychiatry the politics of deviance. Failure to accept these political debates is part of where departments become so dysfunctional.

The target culture of the last two decades in the NHS is also part of the root cause. There are few waiting list targets in obstetrics and for a long time psychiatry was excluded. Without targets, they were de-prioritised for investment.

*for those who weren't aware of the controversy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Savage
    edited March 2022

Carnyx said:

Nick

"Saltire is the preferred supplier to Walkers crisps, which is owned by Pepsi Co, so we export about 70% of seed production to Pepsico-owned companies around the world."

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-courier-advertiser-fife-edition/20130415/282265252908805
    Still doesn't make sense. For one thing, seed potatoes are often treated with pesticides (or were when I had something to do with the industry, in a very small way, as a vacation student). For another, they are too expensive to eat.

Edit: presumably for someone local to plant.
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nick

Still doesn't make sense. For one thing, seed potatoes are often treated with pesticides (or were when I had something to do with the industry, in a very small way, as a vacation student). For another, they are too expensive to eat.
    That is literal quote from Saltire from 8 years ago. Why would Walker / Lays (owned by Pepsi-co) be buying them all if not to use in their crisps?

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nick

That is literal quote from Saltire from 8 years ago. What are they doing with them?
    Does make sense if they are exported for someone local to plant, to get the right kind of potatoes for crisps or something.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Oh FFS! Not this again. One more time - please bookmark.

There are thousands of people in this country born female who have legally transitioned to male. Legally transitioned. They've been through the process and have the certificate. The GRC. The Gender Recognition Certificate. They are therefore legally male. They are men in the eyes of the law. Adults of the male gender. This is the whole point of the gender transition process!

But they will have a cervix. Therefore it IS wrong to say only women have a cervix. Not as in evil or bigoted, but just simply incorrect. So Starmer's statement is fine. It's absolutely nothing to get worked up about.

Yes?
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nick

That is literal quote from Saltire from 8 years ago. What are they doing with them?
    Does make sense if they are exported for someone local to plant, to get the right kind of potatoes for crisps or something.
    I didn't (or the report) say any different. I think the setup is clear that Pepsi Co own farms which use the seed potatos to grow a crop (in places like Russia), which then go into their Walkers / Lays crisps.

Carnyx said:

Nick

I have difficulty in processing that anyone would want to stop potatoes being planted to feed the general populace. 'Ha, mass famine, that'll teach Putin!'.
    Russian potato fields - bomb the fuck out of them!

Everything we do has to hurt the Russian federation. All Russians are responsible. They need to go home and sort the little tit out. I'm currently happy that 500 Russians may die in pain against a Ukrainian stubbed toe.
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Wafw.

He is such a twat.

He never stopped to think how keen the Ukrainians are to join the EU.
    It should be perfectly possible to consider that the UK should not be in the EU, but that it would be of a very great benefit of Ukraine to be in the EU, and he probably does think that, but such blunt and silly allusions undermine that by connecting the ridiculous rhetoric of our Brexit debates to a very different circumstance.
    It also suggests that Ukraine is deeply divided in its struggle.
    Which it isn’t.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Oh FFS! Not this again. One more time - please bookmark.

There are thousands of people in this country born female who have legally transitioned to male. Legally transitioned. They've been through the process and have the certificate. The GRC. The Gender Recognition Certificate. They are therefore legally male. They are men in the eyes of the law. Adults of the male gender. This is the whole point of the gender transition process!

But they will have a cervix. Therefore it IS wrong to say only women have a cervix. Not as in evil or bigoted, but just simply incorrect. So Starmer's statement is fine. It's absolutely nothing to get worked up about.

Yes?
    But it sounds mad to everyone else. Which isn't good for Keir "Sanity" Starmer. That's the point

And this?

"Yvette Cooper has become the second shadow cabinet minister in two days to decline to define what a woman is, describing the subject as a “rabbit hole”.

The shadow home secretary refused three times to spell out a definition"
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

Damn I’m glad I’m watching this match!

Sorry @ydoethur

I would call you a bastard for gloating, but that would leave me nowhere to go for @TSE ...
    Pivac has underwhelmed. I am glad that Italy have had another 6 Nations victory. All the "Italy should be replaced in the Six Nations by South Africa" nonsense will hopefully be placed on the back seat.
    Great result for Italy, their first six nations win since they beat Scotland in 2015 and a good result for a competitive 6 nations in all games too
    mwadams said:

IshmaelZ said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

carnforth said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Ultimately, the problem is an organisation with

- Zero tolerance for certain kinds of failure
    - An attempt to codify into rules human behaviour
    - Mindless implementation of rules.
    - A coverup attitude

I've tried introducing Just Culture. The fun bit is always after the complex explanations and training, when senior management ask "Where do the gallows go for subordinates who fuck up?"

It's much like Agile - where they often demand a Gantt chart, after say the organisation must "Go Agile!"

Human's are non-linear. That means that humans and human behaviour cannot be codified using simple, linear rule sets. You either have human discretion or results that are farcical and/or insane.

The rule set doesn't matter. Or the purpose.
    If the Russians have suffered 7000 fatalities then it naturally follows that there will be thousands of casualties with horrendous injuries. There is some evidence mounting that a disproportionate number of the conscripts are from the remoter parts of Russia like Chechnya and Dagestan. One of the fears of traditionalist Russians has been the declining number of christians and a growing number of Muslims. Which is one reason why they are keen to re-unite with Ukraine. So the plan has been to use ethnic minority footsoldiers to go and kill slavic brothers in Ukraine. Whatever the logic of that is.

As some of you know our son joined the RNLI some 9 months ago and recently qualified for sea going and indeed took the helm of all weather Shannon class lifeboat during an exercise last week

Last night about 12.30 he received a call and on arriving at the boathouse, the inshore crew (3) were told a young woman was in the sea off the shoreline and to expect it could be a recovery

They sped to the scene and our son's colleague jumped into the sea and between my son and his colleague they managed to get her into the boat despite her screaming to leave her

They took her to the shore where the coastguard, police and an ambulance waited and she was taken to hospital for a check up

On returning to the boathouse our son was told that as it was his first actual shout he has to buy all his colleagues a pint at their next training session

It goes without saying we are so proud of him and all his colleague in the RNLI, who risk themselves to save those in peril on the sea, and as they are volunteers we should all contribute to the cause of the RNLI

It also is a warning of just how serious mental health is and we should not joke about it as it can be very serious

I don't think many of us SERIOUSLY mock the issue of mental health, but well done to your son
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Wafw.

Disagree

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Law allows people to be excluded under the Equality act when there is good reason. It would be useful for hospitals, prisons, sporting clubs etc to be given guidance via examples as to what reasonable exclusions might be.
    What proof do you have that they are ignorant of the law....the law does not say must be excluded it says can. You have no evidence the person who made the decision to allow people into a single sex ward because they claimed to be a woman did not know the law but decided not to apply it to polish their "woke" credentials. If the law said must discriminate then you might have a point.

Leon said:

Wafw.

On the other hand it does tell you what the Tory election campaign will largely consist of
    Which will be picked up by our Right-wing press and the (currently) scaredy-cat BBC.
    The BBC just broadcast bits of BJ’s speech with no mention of the ‘just like Brexit’ bullshit. Even they know it’s grotesque.
    It’s also Johnson saying, by implication, ‘I’m a hero like Zelensky’.
    Pitiful stuff.
    edited March 2022
    Extinction Rebellion have just staged a protest against HS2 in Manchester.

According to Paul Bigland, admittedly a pro-HS2 and anti-ER source, they read out a list of roads that will be closed by building HS2.

The irony of this was of course lost on these idiots...
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    4h

Are you saying that Stalin is too heavy?
    Parodied by the late, great Iain M. Banks....

Woman - "Even our women are more manly than your men!"
    Zakalwe - "And still you breed. Choice must be limited, I suppose."
    TOPPING said:

Alternatively that is how history has worked consistently throughout the past 1,000 years. Just that we are on the wrong side of it this time.
    I was of the view that since 1945 in particular quite a lot of progress had been made. If the west had used some of its enormous power since 2014 this war could easily have been prevented. It has shown Russia is not a military, financial or technological superpower but a disorganised rabble with an unhinged leader sabre rattling about nuclear weapons. How you deal with that I'm not sure.
This discussion has been closed.