Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How’s the polling going to look in two years time – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

This war thing is getting a tiny bit out of hand. TBH

War
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it again
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w

Time to roll out some Ozzy
    Cool, except it is Sabbath (with Ozzy) of course, just to be pedantic!

This one also poignant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UZeHvMYZA

"Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?"
    Somewhere in a box is my vinyl collection, including that album.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

WHOA!!! :open_mouth:
    A whole new route to World War 3. Is this year the end of the American empire?
    I think it's inevitable now. The whole thing is getting too big and too chaotic to be contained.
    Er, which is inevitable? World War 3 or the End of the American Empire?

Asking for 7 billion friends
    WW3. Sooner or later there's going to be an accident or false flag or some other incident that draws NATO in.

However, in contrast to those doing their assessment via tractor memes, I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them. So perhaps they will collapse and the whole thing will fizzle out before The Road becomes a self-help manual.
    "I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them"

On what do you base that?
    My first clue was the massive amounts of damage that are wrecking the infrastructure and social fabric of the country. That's not winning.
    Well, in the case Ukraine can never 'win'.

But that doesn't mean a 'win' for Russia either.

If Ukraine comes out of this a sovereign, independent country, with a functioning (not sham) democracy, then in the long run that will be a 'win' for them - especially as they might find it much easier to rebuild than Russia will.
    Hmm?

Vast swathes of Ukraine, a country the size of France, are virtually uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. The infrastructure is a basket case. It will take months to recommission utilities. Clearing up the debris alone will take years. The World Trade Center clean up took 9 months.

The Second WW finished in 1945 and Cologne Cathedral was reopened in 1956, Coventry Cathedral opened in May 1962.

And Coventry won the war, even if it took years to recover from it.

If Ukraine is a free nation at the end of this, they will have won, even if they've been severely tried and hurt in the process.
    If Ukraine is a free nation at the end of this, the World will have won. And for their sacrifice the World will owe Ukrainians a Marshall Plan, something of course Coventry did not benefit from.
    We were the biggest recipient of Marshall Aid. Though arguably we didn't spend it well.
    Yep, and the Labour government pissed it up the wall, unsurprisingly.

For a more balanced view: https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/modern/marshall_01.shtml
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

Russians flying the Soviet flag over Ukraine.

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    The Russian Army has replaced the Ukrainian flag in front of the main building of the Enerhodar City administration, with a Soviet flag.

People in Central Estern Europe won’t stand for this.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1503765940181385216

Christ.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I think it's inevitable now. The whole thing is getting too big and too chaotic to be contained.

WW3. Sooner or later there's going to be an accident or false flag or some other incident that draws NATO in.

However, in contrast to those doing their assessment via tractor memes, I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them. So perhaps they will collapse and the whole thing will fizzle out before The Road becomes a self-help manual.
    Unless a NATO nation is invaded, NATO will not become directly involved
    I agree that NATO will think better of direct involvement.

But they did, of course, get involved in Yugoslavia without a NATO member coming under attack, based on humanitarian grounds and regional stability related to a large scale refugee crisis, both of which are clearly issues in Ukraine.
    Milosevic's Serbia did not have nuclear weapons, unlike Putin's Russia and also had a far smaller military. So a completely different case
    Of course, and that's why they won't do it. I was simply pointing out that an attack on a NATO membership isn't a prerequisite for NATO to become directly involved in a combat rather than peace-keeping role.
    It is unless you are a military insignificant, small nation that can swiftly be beaten
    That’s not what the projections for a land invasion to liberate Kosovo looked like. And it was on the cards.

There again, that was back when we thought T72/90s were a match for a modern battle tank and couldn’t be overcome by tractors.
    There was no land invasion just jets sent in but Serbia did not have nuclear weapons and has an active army of just 28,000 compared to over 1 million in Russia's army
    Read up on the history. We were within days of ordering a land invasion using the British dominated force, and assumed heavy casualties. Fortunately he broke just before.

Kosovo is also a really good lesson in western hubris on air campaigns. It wasn’t anything like as effective as we hoped.
    Air power is great against tanks and supply convoys.

But bloody awful against people.
    In Kosovo it wasn't even that good against tanks. When the ceasefire was enacted the Western Allies were very surprised at the number of Serbian tanks that popped up and rolled away unharmed.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

This war thing is getting a tiny bit out of hand. TBH

War
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it again
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQUXuQ6Zd9w

Time to roll out some Ozzy
    Cool, except it is Sabbath (with Ozzy) of course, just to be pedantic!

This one also poignant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UZeHvMYZA

"Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear?"
    Somewhere in a box is my vinyl collection, including that album.
    Thanks to you suggesting it just listening to War Pigs and enjoying Tony Iommi's great guitar playing with Bill Ward's superb drumming. Both songs had distinctly weird endings!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

rcs1000 said:

Look who has turned up in Poland.

That's awful.

But it made me chuckle.
    It is a worry though. The potential for bad things to happen with this scheme is quite high, even if it is only to a very small proportion of refugees.

Who will get the blame?

And can we let the odd incident get in the way of doing the right thing?
    Which is why the UK gov are vetting the volunteers, charities are vetting the refugees, and local authorities will have a role in monitoring the placements.

The overwhelming majority of the refugees are women and children, as men 16-60 are all conscripted.

There will be incidents and, as with the looting at the London riots a few years back, dragging people up to the beak quickly, and handing out exemplary sentences, should ensure that justice is done.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited March 2022

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

My first clue was the massive amounts of damage that are wrecking the infrastructure and social fabric of the country. That's not winning.

If Ukraine comes out of this a sovereign, independent country, with a functioning (not sham) democracy, then in the long run that will be a 'win' for them - especially as they might find it much easier to rebuild than Russia will.
    Hmm?

Vast swathes of Ukraine, a country the size of France, are virtually uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. The infrastructure is a basket case. It will take months to recommission utilities. Clearing up the debris alone will take years. The World Trade Center clean up took 9 months.

The Second WW finished in 1945 and Cologne Cathedral was reopened in 1956, Coventry Cathedral opened in May 1962.

If Ukraine is a free nation at the end of this, they will have won, even if they've been severely tried and hurt in the process.
    If Ukraine is a free nation at the end of this, the World will have won. And for their sacrifice the World will owe Ukrainians a Marshall Plan, something of course Coventry did not benefit from.
    We were the biggest recipient of Marshall Aid. Though arguably we didn't spend it well.

For a more balanced view: https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/modern/marshall_01.shtml
    I think your view is a fair one. The piece balances the argument by saying that in the 1980s North Sea oil revenues were spent in exactly the same way.

Britain's role as World Policeman does not come cheap.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    When Trump wins in 2024, Europe will face three authoritarian/fascist world powers alone.

Bleak.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

But they did, of course, get involved in Yugoslavia without a NATO member coming under attack, based on humanitarian grounds and regional stability related to a large scale refugee crisis, both of which are clearly issues in Ukraine.
    Milosevic's Serbia did not have nuclear weapons, unlike Putin's Russia and also had a far smaller military. So a completely different case
    Of course, and that's why they won't do it. I was simply pointing out that an attack on a NATO membership isn't a prerequisite for NATO to become directly involved in a combat rather than peace-keeping role.
    It is unless you are a military insignificant, small nation that can swiftly be beaten
    That’s not what the projections for a land invasion to liberate Kosovo looked like. And it was on the cards.

There again, that was back when we thought T72/90s were a match for a modern battle tank and couldn’t be overcome by tractors.
    There was no land invasion just jets sent in but Serbia did not have nuclear weapons and has an active army of just 28,000 compared to over 1 million in Russia's army
    Read up on the history. We were within days of ordering a land invasion using the British dominated force, and assumed heavy casualties. Fortunately he broke just before.

Kosovo is also a really good lesson in western hubris on air campaigns. It wasn’t anything like as effective as we hoped.
    No we weren't and even if we were it was against an army just a tiny fraction of the British army and an even smaller fraction of NATO forces combined. It was not against a Russia army multiple times the size of the British army and almost the same size as NATO's European forces combined and with nuclear weapons.

It did do the job of destroying enough Serbian army to prevent a mass genocide of the Kosovan people
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271

rcs1000 said:

That's awful.

But it made me chuckle.
    It is a worry though. The potential for bad things to happen with this scheme is quite high, even if it is only to a very small proportion of refugees.

Who will get the blame?

One thing that I believe is being done is that the refugees will be entitled to work and claim benefits. This means they will find it easier to leave accommodation if they find it isn't safe.
  • Options

When Trump wins in 2024, Europe will face three authoritarian/fascist world powers alone.

Bleak.

In order for us not to be left behind can I nominate Nigel Farage as President of Europe?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Bleak.

If Trump wins again he is actually already talking about bombing Russia with China flagged planes to add to his previous talk of WW3 with China
    https://en.as.com/en/2022/03/07/latest_news/1646645303_071040.html
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/us-may-very-well-end-up-in-a-war-with-china-donald-trump/articleshow/86814966.cms?from=mdr
  • Options
    Enrique Tarrio, the former head of the Proud Boys extremist group, is up on a conspiracy charge for Capitol riot:

"A document found by federal prosecutors in the possession of a far-right leader contained a detailed plan to surveil and storm government buildings around the Capitol on Jan. 6 last year, people familiar with the document said on Monday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/14/us/politics/enrique-tarrio-jan-6-document.html
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    edited March 2022

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    The Russian Army has replaced the Ukrainian flag in front of the main building of the Enerhodar City administration, with a Soviet flag.

Make Russia great again.

Dr Who needs to investigate if somethings got in the water, all over the world. And then get Kingsman to help withit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bleak.

If Trump wins again he is actually already talking about bombing Russia with China flagged planes to add to his previous talk of WW3 with China
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/us-may-very-well-end-up-in-a-war-with-china-donald-trump/articleshow/86814966.cms?from=mdr
    He's all p*** and wind. He was a dove first time around.

Or do you feel he would like some bucket list nuclear action next time?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

No we weren't and even if we were it was against an army just a tiny fraction of the British army and an even smaller fraction of NATO forces combined. It was not against a Russia army multiple times the size of the British army and almost the same size as NATO's European forces combined and with nuclear weapons.

It did do the job of destroying enough Serbian army to prevent a mass genocide of the Kosovan people
    You’re very wrong. Go and read up.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Hmm?

I think your view is a fair one. The piece balances the argument by saying that in the 1980s North Sea oil revenues were spent in exactly the same way.

Britain's role as World Policeman does not come cheap.
    To be fair, if the Labour Govt. 1945-50 had cut back any further on military commitments, and on propping up the Sterling Area, the howls from the Tories would have been dreadful.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

Bleak.

The US didn't cease to be a democracy in 2016 and it wouldn't if Trump won again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

BigRich said:

Not a nice photo, so only click if what to see a dead Russian Maj General.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1503655923625123840

But is this real? have the Russians lost another Maj General? if so how many is that now?

No sympathy for Putin at all, and he deserves to lose, but every time we see a picture of a dead Russian soldier we should remember it is someone's son, brother, husband, father or friend. Such a terrible waste.
    More deserving of your remembrance is every dead Ukrainian citizen.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

Bleak.

Was that meant to be comforting?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    HYUFD said:

Bleak.

But you keep telling us NATO won't get involved?
  • Options
    Reuters reports the brave young lady who protested live on Russian TV has been fined around £200
  • Options

Bleak.

The US didn't cease to be a democracy in 2016 and it wouldn't if Trump won again.
    Wouldn't is perhaps too strong of a word you. 'Would not necessarily' is probably more accurate.
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Make Russia great again.

Dr Who needs to investigate if somethings got in the water, all over the world. And then get Kingsman to help withit

That building looks to be in a remarkably good state of repair, considering where it is.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited March 2022
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

That's awful.

But it made me chuckle.

Who will get the blame?

Which is why the UK gov are vetting the volunteers, charities are vetting the refugees, and local authorities will have a role in monitoring the placements.

The overwhelming majority of the refugees are women and children, as men 16-60 are all conscripted.

There will be incidents and, as with the looting at the London riots a few years back, dragging people up to the beak quickly, and handing out exemplary sentences, should ensure that justice is done.
    Unfortunately not all local authorities have a good track record in monitoring.

As you say, though, with the refugees being 90% women and children, you'd hope that it will be easier to find the right hosts. There's an awful lot of goodwill out there, even in awful red-wall leaver strongholds like this one...

And as LostPassword says, allowing them to work will make a big difference. Dependency is likely to be the main cause of trouble.
  • Options

Reuters reports the brave young lady who protested live on Russian TV has been fined around £200

Perhaps she was a Putin plant, as part of his preparation to back down and end the war. Now he can claim he was being lied to, and now that he knows the truth, he can change course ...

(If only ...)
  • Options

Bleak.

It nearly did on January 6th 2021.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Bleak.

Better hope he wins next time, then.
  • Options

BigRich said:

But is this real? have the Russians lost another Maj General? if so how many is that now?

No sympathy for Putin at all, and he deserves to lose, but every time we see a picture of a dead Russian soldier we should remember it is someone's son, brother, husband, father or friend. Such a terrible waste.
    And child
  • Options

Any way to get the money to her?
  • Options

Kevin Rothrock
    @KevinRothrock
    First comments from Ovsyannikova: 14-hour interrogation, denied her access to lawyers, she’ll talk more tomorrow after some sleep. She speaks English at the end of this video. https://t.me/sotavision/37322
    https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1503771147376209923
  • Options

BigRich said:

Deceived conscripts in many cases, to be 'fair'.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Perhaps she was a Putin plant, as part of his preparation to back down and end the war. Now he can claim he was being lied to, and now that he knows the truth, he can change course ...

(If only ...)
    It would be a Stalinist way out. Use it as an opportunity to shoot a few hundred minor apparatchiks for treason and then tell everyone via state TV that it was a major victory and the Ukrainians surrendered/welcomed their Russian brothers. I mean, who (in Russia at least) would know the truth?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Cheltenham better than usual for me. Doctor Brown Bear as a e/w 40 bet in 4:50. Long shot.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Indeed, and of course, but in spite of being a long long way from being a pacifist I do have the perspective to realise that even Russian Major Generals are generally loved by someone.
  • Options

Bleak.

If he wins, he'll make sure he gets it right by the time he seeks "re-election" four years later. Anyone who doesn't think he is stupendous risk to american democracy is not paying attention. His party is already well on the way to being a personality cult, save a few brave souls. Once back in government they will pull out all the stops.

• Options

Bleak.

If he wins, he'll make sure he gets it right by the time he seeks "re-election" four years later. Anyone who doesn't think he is stupendous risk to american democracy is not paying attention. His party is already well on the way to being a personality cult, save a few brave souls. Once back in government they will pull out all the stops.

I suspect he will be getting too old. Don Jnr. or Eric on the other hand...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Fox News has confirmed that veteran cameraman Pierre Zakrzewski was killed in Ukraine on Monday, when his vehicle was "struck by incoming fire".
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Depending who you ask and how you define it, between 30-90 million Chinese are now in lockdown

https://twitter.com/GaryJHolliday1/status/1503774680347394049?s=20&t=UxYsaTXNtI9i0t5F_9OHuQ

Cases are doubling every 1-2 days
  • Options

Bleak.

If one found a leprechaun, and he said he granted you a wish to punch any world ruler in the face, very hard, would it be Trump or Putin? Difficult call.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Indeed, and of course, but in spite of being a long long way from being a pacifist I do have the perspective to realise that even Russian Major Generals are generally loved by someone.
    Conscripts loaded 20 to a truck sitting in a convoy waiting to be ambushed after being lied to throughout? Well, maybe some sympathy there.

Major Generals? No way, sorry.

• Options

Bleak.

If one found a leprechaun, and he said he granted you a wish to punch any world ruler in the face, very hard, would it be Trump or Putin? Difficult call.
    They say wishes come in threes...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Bleak.

He'll have to repeal the 22nd Amendment before seeking a 3rd term in 2028 (by which time he'd be 82 btw).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    An ... interesting... thread.
    Which has not yet reached its conclusion.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1503768312236421120
    Today I’ll suggest some specific measures to end this war. To start with, the very idea of deescalation as the ultimate goal is absolutely insane. It would mean repeating Napoleon’s mistake. Napoleon worked hard on deescalation – that’s why he lost a war he could’ve totally won
  • Options

Bleak.

Oh, wow, well I have not found one of the cheeky little chappies yet, but I'll take your word for it. So Trump and Putin up for a good smack. Who would be the third? Not sure whether he meets the "leader" category, but it must be Farage.
  • Options

Fox News has confirmed that veteran cameraman Pierre Zakrzewski was killed in Ukraine on Monday, when his vehicle was "struck by incoming fire".

Fox News’ Ukrainian producer Oleksandra Kuvshynova was also killed. Do not forget her. Without our Ukrainian colleagues so many stories would go untold. Ukrainian journalists are doing brave, incredible work on top of personally dealing with Russia’s war against their country.
    https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1503773793206034432
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    edited March 2022
    Chelsea FC: "This request for a closed-door game on the grounds of 'sporting integrity' has turned into the country's biggest PR own-goal of the day."

The Met: "Not so fast, sunshine. Stand aside and watch how the professionals do it."

A short statement on the incident in Belgrave Square yesterday:

Officers were initially called to reports of people breaking into a house just after 1am.

This led to an immediate response and would do so anywhere in London.

https://twitter.com/cbrookmyre/status/1503747177163730955

"anywhere in London"......it's the way they tell'em....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bleak.

It won't while Biden is POTUS, Trump however could even act outside NATO if he is elected again
  • Options

Bleak.

Oh, wow, well I have not found one of the cheeky little chappies yet, but I'll take your word for it. So Trump and Putin up for a good smack. Who would be the third? Not sure whether he meets the "leader" category, but it must be Farage.
    Sorry, it's strictly World Leaders with a statute of limitations expiry of 15 months, so you must be quick.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2022
    Always the danger...NLAWs coming right back at Ukraine.

Russian Troops Show Off Weapons They Have Captured
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq9NRN7hdDo
  • Options
    If this is true, it's a whole knew chapter of ponerology.

Murdering your own people to turn them against the enemy..

"The Russian command is preparing for a large-scale provocation - the shelling of Belgorod

According to available information, Russia"s military command is now looking into a scenario where the Russian territory will be shelled and the Ukrainian side will be blamed for the attack.

The Russians are poised to attack own cities using the BM-21 Grad MLR systems, to accuse the Ukrainian Army of targeting the civilian population. The Azov Regiment"s Commander Serhiy Velychko (call sign Chile) will be designated as the one immediately responsible for the "attack." "

https://site.ua/alexander.kovalenko/the-russian-command-is-preparing-for-a-large-scale-provocation-the-shelling-of-belgorod-i0v581x
  • Options

Bleak.

Depends how hard.
    A lethal blow ? Putin, no question.
  • Options

Bleak.

He'll have to repeal the 22nd Amendment before seeking a 3rd term in 2028 (by which time he'd be 82 btw).
    Or he'll just by-pass the constitution. If the military are stuffed full of senior place men imposed by his cronies, who will stop him?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Bleak.

Difficult call? Are you serious?

Bleak.

Farage ahead of Pooh Bear?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cheltenham better than usual for me. Doctor Brown Bear as a e/w 40 bet in 4:50. Long shot.

Gone to Brazil. 😕

Anyone else on Marie’s Rock? Ran a 2m5f race, everything else wondered what had happened to finish line when came past in last furlong. 😉
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bleak.

It won't while Biden is POTUS, Trump however could even act outside NATO if he is elected again
    You have lost your mind, along with your hero Trump if he pulls the stunts you are suggesting.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    Based on local and social media sources I can confirm that the Ukrainian Armed Forces conducted a successful attack (again) on Kherson Airbase(again), which resulted in several Russian helicopters lost (again).We’re waiting for IMINT to confirm the full extent of the damage.

https://twitter.com/konrad_muzyka/status/1503778054753107968
  • Options

"The Russian command is preparing for a large-scale provocation - the shelling of Belgorod

According to available information, Russia"s military command is now looking into a scenario where the Russian territory will be shelled and the Ukrainian side will be blamed for the attack.

The Russians are poised to attack own cities using the BM-21 Grad MLR systems, to accuse the Ukrainian Army of targeting the civilian population. The Azov Regiment"s Commander Serhiy Velychko (call sign Chile) will be designated as the one immediately responsible for the "attack." "

https://site.ua/alexander.kovalenko/the-russian-command-is-preparing-for-a-large-scale-provocation-the-shelling-of-belgorod-i0v581x

What would be the point? Unless ordinary RU are starting to seriously question the reasons for the war?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Nancy Pelosi in action. Jeez. Makes Sleepy Joe look like JFK on steroids.

https://twitter.com/jessicahodlr/status/1503556754168242186

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1503765689903026176

"Now Russian TV anchor Sergey Brilev has reportedly resigned from the state television network VGTRK, where there’s supposedly a mass exodus of staff underway. Very big news if true."

Corroborates other reports. Seems like today has been a good day for Ukr.
  • Options

Chelsea FC: "This request for a closed-door game on the grounds of 'sporting integrity' has turned into the country's biggest PR own-goal of the day."

The Met: "Not so fast, sunshine. Stand aside and watch how the professionals do it."

A short statement on the incident in Belgrave Square yesterday:

Officers were initially called to reports of people breaking into a house just after 1am.

This led to an immediate response and would do so anywhere in London.

https://twitter.com/cbrookmyre/status/1503747177163730955

"anywhere in London"......it's the way they tell'em....

Reassuring to learn the Met are so reactive to domestic burglary. I disapprove of scumbags breaking, entering and trashing anyone's house.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited March 2022

Bleak.

How does he get round the 22nd Amendment?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

Stocky said:

Gone to Brazil. 😕

Anyone else on Marie’s Rock? Ran a 2m5f race, everything else wondered what had happened to finish line when came past in last furlong. 😉
    I have had a 2nd and a 4th , almost cleared my feet though so cannot complain. Well done to you today.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,305
    edited March 2022
    EU finally sanction Abramovich and Sky says the question rises that will the EU allow Chelsea to play in Europe
  • Options

EU finally sanction Abramovich and Sky says the question rises that will the EU allow Chelsea to play in Europe

Thank **** Johnson didn't let the grass grow under Abramovitch's feet.
  • Options
    @cepa
    “Any Ukrainian who sees French, British, American, Spanish, Brazilian, from wherever they come, volunteers joining their resistance will solidify the notion that the war is not between Ukraine and Russia; but between good and evil.”
    https://cepa.org/too-late-for-russia-to-stop-the-foreign-volunteer-army/
    https://twitter.com/cepa/status/1503461097344491532
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,658
    edited March 2022
    250 to 300 hours. That's how long Ukraine needs to hold out for before the Russian army may run out of resources and morale according to some experts. I hope it turns out to be true. Tick tock.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Bleak.

I'm sure the Supreme Court could find a way if they really wanted to....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Just been invited by the school to an ONLINE PARENTS' EVENING.

WTF? When will this ever end?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Andy_JS said:

250 to 300 hours. That's how long Ukraine needs to hold out for before the Russian army may run out of resources and morale according to some experts. I hope it turns out to be true. Tick tock.

I think I heard the same thing last week, being days away from out of supplies.
  • Options

What specifically has he done in the past that would have warranted this action earlier?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Gone to Brazil. 😕

Yep, one of two winners from six selections. Thanks for the tips :)
  • Options

Possibly never. We've found online parents evenings to be really efficient, of all the online stuff its the one thing that has worked really smoothly I found, I think our school may be looking to keep them permanently, with face-to-face meetings for those who want/need them.
  • Options

Crikey. She's said to be a drunk, right? Looks that way
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Stocky said:

Gone to Brazil. 😕

No worries. 👍🏻 It was great immersive watching.
    2/4 on my tips, my PP odds 9-2 18-1.
    But the best moment of afternoon was acclaim for Honeysuckle after her win. 🥲
    Wow. Can we do it all again tomorrow 🥳
  • Options

The first use of "ponerology" on (vf)PB, and I manage to spoil it with a 'knew' for 'new' typo. Balls.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Possibly never. We've found online parents evenings to be really efficient, of all the online stuff its the one thing that has worked really smoothly I found, I think our school may be looking to keep them permanently, with face-to-face meetings for those who want/need them.
    Fair enough if they host them for those that prefer them, as long as there is also an option to meet in person. I stare at a screen all day, most days, the last thing I want is yet more Zoom meetings.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Too soon?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Applicant said:

Bleak.

I'm sure the Supreme Court could find a way if they really wanted to....
    Trump would be 82. The SCOTUS judges aren't exactly Trumpist. And, yes, whilst they can start with their conclusions and work backwards (as with Obamacare, when the individual mandate was ruled to be simultaneously a tax and not a tax; or with prorogation here) it's not credible to suggest that there's a path to evasion of the term limit.
  • Options

If you are American, this woman is the third most important politician

Ahead of her are Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

No wonder Putin thought this was the ideal time to take on the West
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Always the danger...NLAWs coming right back at Ukraine.

Russian Troops Show Off Weapons They Have Captured
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq9NRN7hdDo

Comment on Twitter in reply (I have no idea if it's true)

"A lot of those look like british NLAWs, which are disposable. So they might have actually captured spent launchers and the tubes they came in. The Ukranians would have just discarded them after firing."
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    RobD said:

What specifically has he done in the past that would have warranted this action earlier?
    According to the Guardian on 10th March: "Roman Abramovich, one of the world’s richest men, was FINALLY subjected to sanctions by the UK government after ministers accused him of having “clear connections” to Vladimir Putin’s regime and being among a group of businessmen who had “blood on their hands”...The move will heap further pressure on Putin TWO WEEKS after he ordered troops to invade Ukraine in a bloody war that has seen thousands killed or injured".
  • Options

That is somewhat embarrassing - is she ill ?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Applicant said:

Stocky said:

Gone to Brazil. 😕

No worries. 👍🏻 It was great immersive watching.
    2/4 on my tips, my PP odds 9-2 18-1.
    But the best moment of afternoon was acclaim for Honeysuckle after her win. 🥲
    Wow. Can we do it all again tomorrow 🥳
    41% of stake returned as profit so a reasonable day 1. Tomorrow sounds like a plan :)
  • Options

Alcoholic. Allegedly
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The Athletic are reporting that Chelsea have withdrawn their request to play the Middlesbrough FA Cup game behind closed doors. Inevitable, I feel.

(Edit: Story from Eurosport)

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Gone to Brazil. 😕

I have had a 2nd and a 4th , almost cleared my feet though so cannot complain. Well done to you today.
    Thank you. 👍🏻 And you had a 3rd with Blue Lord? More fun tomorrow if world doesn’t blow up on us!
  • Options

She is usually articulate, and an extremely wily political operative. It looks like too much botox, but perhaps she's had a (mini-)stroke? Almost looks like that.
  • Options

RobD said:

According to the Guardian on 10th March "Roman Abramovich, one of the world’s richest men, was finally subjected to sanctions by the UK government after ministers accused him of having “clear connections” to Vladimir Putin’s regime and being among a group of businessmen who had “blood on their hands”...The move will heap further pressure on Putin two weeks after he ordered troops to invade Ukraine in a bloody war that has seen thousands killed or injured".
    Yes, after the actions in Ukraine, but you seem to be suggesting he should have sanctioned years ago.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

According to the Guardian on 10th March "Roman Abramovich, one of the world’s richest men, was finally subjected to sanctions by the UK government after ministers accused him of having “clear connections” to Vladimir Putin’s regime and being among a group of businessmen who had “blood on their hands”...The move will heap further pressure on Putin two weeks after he ordered troops to invade Ukraine in a bloody war that has seen thousands killed or injured".
    Yes, after the actions in Ukraine, but you seem to be suggesting he should have sanctioned years ago.
    No I didn't. I was responding to BigG.'s "EU FINALLY sanction Abramovich" comment.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

No I didn't. I was responding to BigG.'s "EU FINALLY sanction Abramovich" comment.
    What was your comment regarding Johnson about then? Letting the grass grow suggests someone is being slow, implying that he should have done it earlier.
  • Options

Too soon?
    Nah, my decorum is only rivalled by legendary modesty.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,776

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24

Not a war of conquest, no sirree.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Alcoholic. Allegedly
    You didn’t think that was real 😆 it’s a comedy skit. Didn’t even much look like her.
This discussion has been closed.