Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How’s the polling going to look in two years time – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited March 2022 in General
imageHow’s the polling going to look in two years time – politicalbetting.com

If Johnson does not go to the country early then in two years’ time we would be just about to start the general election campaign.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Well, no. This time Labour don't have someone clearly unelectable* in charge. That helps.

As a PM, obviously he's electable as an MP, at least in the eyes of his constituents.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    🐎 😍
  • Options
    FPT
    MISTY said:

Why can't the Ukrainians go to France? Why should they come here when they pass through so many safe countries? Economic migrants the lot of them

You make an unanswerable point, in truth, but look at the most upvoted comments at the Mail.

Voters might not be as keen to accept big numbers of Ukrainians as some would have us believe.

When there are four Ukrainians in your kid's class or one is ahead of you for medical treatment, sentiment could sour further, sadly.

What about when one is providing your medical treatment? (assuming that we permit the suitably qualified to contribute in that kind of way)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    Nigelb said:

Lol, hope he's cleared this with his pal Evgeny.

And himself back in 2015 and 2016.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-claims-west-made-26469747
    ...“What worries me now is that it is the EU’s pretensions to run a foreign policy and a defence policy that risk undermining Nato. We saw what happened in Bosnia, we’ve seen what happened in the Ukraine…

“All the EU can do in this question, in my view, is cause confusion and, as we’ve seen in the Balkans, I’m afraid a tragic incident, and in the Ukraine things went wrong as well.”

Former Swedish PM Carl Bildt hit out at Boris Johnson on Twitter at the time, saying: “I’m sorry to say, but @BorisJohnson is totally ignorant of the facts on Ukraine, EU and Russia. Apologist for Putin.”

In a December 2015 article, Boris Johnson said Britain should "deal with the devil" Putin, despite the Russian President being a "ruthless and manipulative tyrant"...
    We are in the era of post Truth politics. Inconvenient past remarks and actions do not matter.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited March 2022
    If a week is a long time in politics, then two years is an eternity…

Go back two years, and try predicting then what’s happened since.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    2.10pm Edwardstone @3/1

Value or not?

Hmm
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    What about swingback? I thought there was some sort of calculation based on byelections (local or otherwise?) or opinion polls?
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    I'm quite cautious about Labour's prospects for the next GE even if I can now see how Labour could win back plenty of seats in the north of England. I don't see Labour gaining more than 100 seats as a best case scenario and more likely only 60-80 gains for Labour regardless of who's leading the Tories.

It's a mistake to completely underestimate Johnson even if he fights the next election even if I think ~315-320 seats is his best case scenario in 2024.

In terms of vote share I don't see Labour winning the popular vote by more than 2-5% tops although that would still be a large swing from 2019, significantly exceeding Cameron's 5% swing.
  • Options
    ping said:

2.10pm Edwardstone @3/1

Value or not?

Hmm

Value. Go for it.
  • Options
    10th March 2020, almost exactly two years ago.

Joe Rogan interview with Prof Michael Osterholm, the moment that caused many of us to wonder just how bad a pandemic could be. https://youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

I'm quite cautious about Labour's prospects for the next GE even if I can now see how Labour could win back plenty of seats in the north of England. I don't see Labour gaining more than 100 seats as a best case scenario and more likely only 60-80 gains for Labour regardless of who's leading the Tories.

It's a mistake to completely underestimate Johnson even if he fights the next election even if I think ~315-320 seats is his best case scenario in 2024.

In terms of vote share I don't see Labour winning the popular vote by more than 2-5% tops although that would still be a large swing from 2019, significantly exceeding Cameron's 5% swing.

I think you are pretty much spot on for best case Labour. Could the LDs surprise in Southern England?
  • Options

Historically, overturning an 80 seat majority is a pretty rare event, and vanishingly so for an opposition working majority. NoC is my hunch, but anything can happen. A lot of electoral unprecedented stuff has happened in the last decade.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Question for those more versed in the nuance of parliamentary legislation than I am.

The previous election was in December 2019. Under the FTPA that makes the next election May 2024. However - the Tories are in the process of repealing the FTPA - which presumably means that the rules for when the next election are held revert to the previous 'will be dissolved after 5 years' and so the "time running out" point for the next election (assuming the FTPA is repealed) actually switches to December 2024. Is this correct (and if not why not)?

(Obviously in such a scenario I would still expect a May 2024 election - but having the option to leave it till September/October is certainly an interesting one that seems worth having)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

...“What worries me now is that it is the EU’s pretensions to run a foreign policy and a defence policy that risk undermining Nato. We saw what happened in Bosnia, we’ve seen what happened in the Ukraine…

“All the EU can do in this question, in my view, is cause confusion and, as we’ve seen in the Balkans, I’m afraid a tragic incident, and in the Ukraine things went wrong as well.”

Former Swedish PM Carl Bildt hit out at Boris Johnson on Twitter at the time, saying: “I’m sorry to say, but @BorisJohnson is totally ignorant of the facts on Ukraine, EU and Russia. Apologist for Putin.”

In a December 2015 article, Boris Johnson said Britain should "deal with the devil" Putin, despite the Russian President being a "ruthless and manipulative tyrant"...
    We are in the era of post Truth politics. Inconvenient past remarks and actions do not matter.
    PM hindsight.
    Post Putin's war, I expect 'post truth politics' to become rather unfashionable.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited March 2022
    Lennon said:

Question for those more versed in the nuance of parliamentary legislation than I am.

The previous election was in December 2019. Under the FTPA that makes the next election May 2024. However - the Tories are in the process of repealing the FTPA - which presumably means that the rules for when the next election are held revert to the previous 'will be dissolved after 5 years' and so the "time running out" point for the next election (assuming the FTPA is repealed) actually switches to December 2024. Is this correct (and if not why not)?

(Obviously in such a scenario I would still expect a May 2024 election - but having the option to leave it till September/October is certainly an interesting one that seems worth having)

Once DACOP passes and FTPA is repealed, the automatic parliament end moves to 5 years from the day it first met, so the technical last date for an election would be January or possibly February 2025.

That said, I doubt a winter election would be looked on favourably but an autumn election is, as you say, possible. But governments only tend to go right to the wire if they expect to lose.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,783
    edited March 2022
    Sandpit said:

If a week is a long time in politics, then two years is an eternity…

Go back two years, and try predicting then what’s happened since.

Bit more. It was fairly obvious in Jan 2020 what was quite possibly coming covid wise. But if you add 3-4 months, you're not wrong.
  • Options

I think you are pretty much spot on for best case Labour. Could the LDs surprise in Southern England?
    Apart from 1997, I think LDs or their predecessors have underperformed at GE all my political lifetime
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Selebian said:

FPT

MISTY said:

Why can't the Ukrainians go to France? Why should they come here when they pass through so many safe countries? Economic migrants the lot of them

You make an unanswerable point, in truth, but look at the most upvoted comments at the Mail.

Voters might not be as keen to accept big numbers of Ukrainians as some would have us believe.

When there are four Ukrainians in your kid's class or one is ahead of you for medical treatment, sentiment could sour further, sadly.

What about when one is providing your medical treatment? (assuming that we permit the suitably qualified to contribute in that kind of way)
    I don't have any problem with refugees personally.

Somebody on the last thread was wondering why some parts of the media seem more comfortable accepting Ukrainians that people on boats from France? what's the difference?

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

His criticism of EU foreign policy in 2016 seems a bit vague, so probably not based on any well-informed analysis, but it's not really inconsistent with recent remarks is it?
    And I have no idea if Johnson was calling for tougher sanctions on Russia/Putin and his cronies in 2014 (I doubt it), but I agree that it was a mistake not to do more then.

But his defence of the Conservative party accepting large donations from rich Russians with dubious sources of wealth and connections to Putin is obviously shit.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited March 2022
    [Deleted]
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542

Yes, they could. But that surprise could be on the downside as well as the upside.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

The city of Hanover said that they would withdraw Gerhard Schröder's honorary citizenship (like freedom of the city) if he didn't distance himself from Putin, and in response Schröder chose to give it up.

Do you think Schroder is planning on being a character witness for Putin in The Hague?

(How much do you think a Schroder costs? Maybe PB can get together and buy one.)
  • Options

Lennon said:

Under the draft bill, the maximum length of this parliament is still May 2024: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/58-01/086/5801086.pdf

The next election is specifically dealt with, the general rule will of course go back to 5 year maximums.
    That isn't the current bill, it's one from the last parliament that never got past 2nd reading in the Lords.

The current bill is: https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2859
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Lennon said:

Under the draft bill, the maximum length of this parliament is still May 2024: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/58-01/086/5801086.pdf

The next election is specifically dealt with, the general rule will of course go back to 5 year maximums.
    That isn't the current bill, it's one from the last parliament that never got past 2nd reading in the Lords.

Yes, you'll see I've already deleted my post.
  • Options
    Air raid sirens in Lviv, Western Ukraine, this afternoon. Worrying development, first time for that city.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Lennon said:

Yes, you'll see I've already deleted my post.
    Ah, OK. I was too quick :)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,425
    rcs1000 said:

The city of Hanover said that they would withdraw Gerhard Schröder's honorary citizenship (like freedom of the city) if he didn't distance himself from Putin, and in response Schröder chose to give it up.

Do you think Schroder is planning on being a character witness for Putin in The Hague?

(How much do you think a Schroder costs? Maybe PB can get together and buy one.)
    1 million Euro a year, so they say.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Bloody hell he’s cheap. It costs $10m a year to get a Nick Clegg spinning for a bunch of scumbags.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Bloody hell he’s cheap. It costs $10m a year to get a Nick Clegg spinning for a bunch of scumbags.
    Blair charged 5 million GBP a year to do the PR for Kazakhstan's dictator. But I guess that was part-time.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

I think the LDs can cause a few upsets at individual constituency level if they target cleverly. And I suspect they will.

But, overall, it's difficult to see a significant chunk of the country turning orange. A big problem for them is the leadership.

Davey (wow, I remembered his name) is a complete no-show so far as the public is concerned. Can't see that changing either. He sure ain't ain't an Ashdown or a Kennedy or a Clegg.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we conclude from that that Nick Clegg still has a conscience that needs to be bought off?
  • Options
    A large Labour lead.

I was ridiculed when I called a Labour lead several months ago.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we conclude from that that Nick Clegg still has a conscience that needs to be bought off?
    A couple of million students probably think so.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Could be a handy new unit of cost. Bigger than the hip replacement, so more manageable numbers:

Today, the the UK Prime Minister promised to spaff up the wall a further £20 billion 200 million HPEs (hip replacement equivalents 20 thousand Schroeders on NHS Track and Trace.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Saudi Arabia Considers Accepting Yuan Instead of Dollars for Chinese Oil Sales

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-considers-accepting-yuan-instead-of-dollars-for-chinese-oil-sales-11647351541
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    rcs1000 said:

Schroder is positively disgusting.
  • Options
    WHOA!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Rather a fine painting which popped up on my twitter; grimly aposite. Rosoman was a visting lecturer when I was an art student back in prehistory, lovely bloke.

https://twitter.com/curatorian/status/1503681237243809792?s=20&t=DXYUuqPx3J2jsOR68BKMzQ

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

A large Labour lead.

I was ridiculed when I called a Labour lead several months ago.

By who?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Blair charged 5 million GBP a year to do the PR for Kazakhstan's dictator. But I guess that was part-time.
    But Blair is a warmonger, so it's par.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A whole new route to World War 3. Is this year the end of the American empire?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jail the traitor(s)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60743342
  • Options
    Given there are bugger all Yuan assets available for Saudi Arabia to own, this is basically just for show.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    The last 3 general elections we have had after more than 10 years of one party in government but less than 15 years in power, ie the equivalent of the next UK general election, were in 2010, 1992 and 1964.

In all 3 of them the opposition were generally ahead in most of the polls. However on election night in not 1 of those general elections did the opposition win a big majority. In 1964 Wilson's Labour won with a majority of just 4, in 2010 Cameron's Tories won most seats but it was a hung parliament and in 1992 Major's Tories defied the odds to win a narrow re election and prevent Kinnock's expected arrival in Downing Steet.

So we should expect the next general election to be close but Labour to still be ahead in most polls
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Sandpit said:

The advantages of being the single reserve currency are overstated. It mainly just unbalances the US economy.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

Sandpit said:

I think it's inevitable now. The whole thing is getting too big and too chaotic to be contained.
  • Options
    Yeeeee
  • Options
    ping said:

2.10pm Edwardstone @3/1

Value or not?

Hmm

THAT will have to be looked at.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Thank goodness money grabbing, oligarch pandering, Putin appeasing Schröder, Blair and Clegg aren't in power in our fine country.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

Yeeeee

Hold your horses. Whoever in second may have win here.

You took out my winner mid air, like a Kung fu movie. 😠
  • Options
    It looks like the postponed amphibious landing in Odessa may be back on again:

@CovertShores
    Substantial #Russian Navy force, including landing ships, advancing on Odessa area today. Seen 09:47 UTC in satellite imagery

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I think it's inevitable now. The whole thing is getting too big and too chaotic to be contained.
    The tectonic plates of international politics are indeed shifting.
  • Options

Thank goodness money grabbing, oligarch pandering, Putin appeasing Schröder, Blair and Clegg aren't in power in our fine country.

Clegg no longer even lives in our country but in a £7 million mansion in California
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-nick-cleggs-7million-mansion-13909334
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,231
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Er, which is inevitable? World War 3 or the End of the American Empire?

Asking for 7 billion friends
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I’m giving the 2.50 a miss.

Now

To oppose honeysuckle, or not……
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Clegg no longer even lives in our country but in a £7 million mansion in California
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/inside-nick-cleggs-7million-mansion-13909334
    Given Californian prices, that'll be worth £10m now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I was about to ask the same...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

rcs1000 said:

250k Euro a year when he started, back in 2006.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2006/04/01/2003300390

Increases and bonuses since, perhaps.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,269

What about swingback? I thought there was some sort of calculation based on byelections (local or otherwise?) or opinion polls?

There was, yes, on Parliamentary by-elections, but 2010 broke it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ping said:

I’m giving the 2.50 a miss.

Now

To oppose honeysuckle, or not……

Sub plots. The brits whipping the Irish.

Two last fence disasters in a row now for Riviere D'etel 😟
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Seems to have done rather better financially than Dave since the Coalition anyway, despite the 2015 election result when Dave came on top.

Dave reduced to writing in a shed in rural Oxfordshire, Clegg and his family living in a luxury multimillion dollar mansion in sunny California with vast salary to match
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

WW3. Sooner or later there's going to be an accident or false flag or some other incident that draws NATO in.

However, in contrast to those doing their assessment via tractor memes, I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them. So perhaps they will collapse and the whole thing will fizzle out before The Road becomes a self-help manual.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Seems to have done rather better financially than Dave since the Coalition anyway, despite the 2015 election result when Dave came on top.

Dave reduced to writing in a shed in rural Oxfordshire, Clegg and his family living in a luxury multimillion dollar mansion in sunny California with vast salary to match
    How many times? It's not a shed, it's a writing studio. Consider it as on par with Dylan Thomas' boathouse.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,028
    rcs1000 said:

Given there are bugger all Yuan assets available for Saudi Arabia to own, this is basically just for show.
    In addition; surely Saudi Arabia only has another decade or two to gain all those lovely petrochemical Yuans if the plans to electrify and go green occur to schedule? Whilst there will always be a demand for oil and gas, isn't that demand going to reduce dramatically in the next few years?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

WW3. Sooner or later there's going to be an accident or false flag or some other incident that draws NATO in.

However, in contrast to those doing their assessment via tractor memes, I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them. So perhaps they will collapse and the whole thing will fizzle out before The Road becomes a self-help manual.
    You think Putin will conquer the whole of Ukraine?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

🐎 😍

great start for you
  • Options
    I've not been following this aspect all that closely. Is this a change in their position?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

In addition; surely Saudi Arabia only has another decade or two to gain all those lovely petrochemical Yuans if the plans to electrify and go green occur to schedule? Whilst there will always be a demand for oil and gas, isn't that demand going to reduce dramatically in the next few years?
    Real peak oil - when demand starts to fall, despite economic growth. In some parts of the petroleum market, that has already happened.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I've not been following this aspect all that closely. Is this a change in their position?
    Not really. Zelensky has always been clear that he doesn't want Ukraine dependent on NATO.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I don't think so, they must know that they're ineligible for as long as they have a border dispute with Russia.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Unless a NATO nation is invaded, NATO will not become directly involved
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

"I think Ukraine are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them"

On what do you base that?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,231

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

It's what Russia DOES
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Frau Merkel's timing just before she jumped ship looks poor. Casting off the nuclear option and hooking herself onto the Russian gas and oil teat was a bad move in retrospect. Cap in hand to the Middle East or having to be a bad European?

At least France has nuclear power, and we have a North Sea full of goodies even if we resist fracking. The remnants of Extenction Rebellion can carry on nailing their heads to the motorways.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,654
    The Russian war effort could collapse in 10 to 14 days according to a number of military experts. Apparently the word to describe it is "culmination".

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1503367516529250305
  • Options
    FPT

@emilykschrader
    Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko says his models for how to win against all odds are Israel – a country he has visited and admires – and the IDF. “We have to learn from Israel how to defend our country, with every citizen”

https://twitter.com/emilykschrader/status/1503650151742808070

Why does he want to murder Palestinians? #CorbynKlaxon
    You're strangely obsessed with Corbyn and his mates, who have about as much influence on current events as my dog. Weird.
    I thought this "strange obsession" needed looking into, so I looked through all my recent posts.

It turns out that, before my obsessive three (ok, now four. Damn!) posts today mentioning Corbyn, I've obsessively made two other posts this month that referred to him. One was obsessively questioning why he didn't need a translation of Zelensky's speech, and one obsessively wondering whether his closeness to Barry Gardiner (whose son was in St Petersburg at the time) meant pressure was put on him over Salisbury response.

I don't appear to take my obsessions particularly seriously.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Frau Merkel's timing just before she jumped ship looks poor. Casting off the nuclear option and hooking herself onto the Russian gas and oil teat was a bad move in retrospect. Cap in hand to the Middle East or having to be a bad European?

At least France has nuclear power, and we have a North Sea full of goodies even if we resist fracking. The remnants of Extenction Rebellion can carry on nailing their heads to the motorways.

{Dinsdale Piranha has entered the chat}

Interviewer: Vince, after he nailed your head to the floor, did you ever see him again

Vince: Yeah.....after that I used to go round his flat every Sunday lunchtime to apologize and we'd shake hands and then he'd nail my head to the floor

Interviewer: Every Sunday?

Vince: Yeah but he was very reasonable. Once, one Sunday, when my parents were coming round for tea I asked him if he'd mind very much not nailing my head to the floor that week and he agreed and just screwed my pelvis to a cake stand.
  • Options

FPT

@emilykschrader
    Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko says his models for how to win against all odds are Israel – a country he has visited and admires – and the IDF. “We have to learn from Israel how to defend our country, with every citizen”

https://twitter.com/emilykschrader/status/1503650151742808070

Why does he want to murder Palestinians? #CorbynKlaxon
    You're strangely obsessed with Corbyn and his mates, who have about as much influence on current events as my dog. Weird.
    I thought this "strange obsession" needed looking into, so I looked through all my recent posts.

It turns out that, before my obsessive three (ok, now four. Damn!) posts today mentioning Corbyn, I've obsessively made two other posts this month that referred to him. One was obsessively questioning why he didn't need a translation of Zelensky's speech, and one obsessively wondering whether his closeness to Barry Gardiner (whose son was in St Petersburg at the time) meant pressure was put on him over Salisbury response.

I don't appear to take my obsessions particularly seriously.
    I think you are developing an obsessions about your obsessions. This can only go even more meta....
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

My first clue was the massive amounts of damage that are wrecking the infrastructure and social fabric of the country. That's not winning.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    CD13 said:

I really don't think history will be kind to Frau Merkel.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Real peak oil - when demand starts to fall, despite economic growth. In some parts of the petroleum market, that has already happened.
    I try to avoid the term 'peak oil' for the obvious reasons. ;)

Those 'peak oil' guys (on the supply side, not demand) will never be correct now.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

My first clue was the massive amounts of damage that are wrecking the infrastructure and social fabric of the country. That's not winning.
    Though to be fair, in that part of the world, this has been described as winning -

• Options
    CD13 said:

I don't think badly of Merkel, but the whole thing does show that Germany was still in 2014 when she left. Scholz has had a lot of catching up to do in not very much time, to adjust Germany to the new political reality.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Have we seen this - 5th Major-General KIA?

🇺🇦 forces battalion Azov announced killing the commander of 🇷🇺22nd Separate Guards Special Purpose Brigade, a major general, near Mariupol. Already 5th 🇷🇺 general KIA. This unit participated in murdering more than 150 civilians in Baku in January 1989.

https://twitter.com/EerikNKross/status/1503693079592804360
  • Options
    No need to join NATO as it will be armed and trained by them
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I try to avoid the term 'peak oil' for the obvious reasons. ;)

Those 'peak oil' guys (on the supply side, not demand) will never be correct now.
    Re-purposing the word is about yanking their chains.
  • Options

CD13 said:

I don't think badly of Merkel, but the whole thing does show that Germany was still in 2014 when she left. Scholz has had a lot of catching up to do in not very much time, to adjust Germany to the new political reality.
    I do think badly of Merkel and think that she's very comparable in a lot of ways to Tony Blair here.

Inherited a nation that was set up to be doing well, rode their popularity to repeated electoral success, but didn't really achieve much of any lasting merit and with the delayed reverse Midas touch that much of what they touched turned to shit afterwards.

The longer Merkel is out of office, the worse of a missed opportunity her tenure is going to look in retrospect, a lot like Blair.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

It looks like the postponed amphibious landing in Odessa may be back on again:

@CovertShores
    Substantial #Russian Navy force, including landing ships, advancing on Odessa area today. Seen 09:47 UTC in satellite imagery

Are they putting on a fleet review for the visiting PMs?
  • Options
    RobD said:

This isn't particularly new in that Zelensky was saying similar things last week. I have no doubt this is all linked with the talks process - to the extent there is a way out of this, it will probably involve some compromises over governance of the Donbas, and Ukraine and the US giving some ground on ambition to join and willingness to admit Ukraine to NATO.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    It's impossible to predict the polls two years out, surely!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    tlg86 said:

Statement from Boro:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/a-statement-from-middlesbrough-fc

We are aware of Chelsea's request to have Saturday's Emirates FA Cup sixth round tie played behind closed doors and find their suggestion both bizarre and without any merit whatsoever.
    All concerned are well aware of the reasons Chelsea have been sanctioned and that this has nothing to do with Middlesbrough Football Club.

To suggest as result that MFC and our fans should be penalised is not only grossly unfair but without any foundation.

Given the reasons for these sanctions, for Chelsea to seek to invoke sporting "integrity" as reason for the game being played behind closed doors is ironic in the extreme.

We currently await formal notification from the FA of the next steps but rest assured MFC will resist Chelsea's actions in the strongest terms.

Loving integrity in quotation marks. :lol:

Lol! Brilliant.

Someone has had great fun drafting that press release.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Our Governments do that and we vote for them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,246
    Naval News
    @navalnewscom
    ·
    21m
    The Russian Navy is advancing on the Odessa region of Ukraine. Analysis shows that the force includes landing ships 🇷🇺🇺🇦
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I don't know what is happening, nor do I make confident predictions of where it will end up. But my worry is that, despite the Gospel according to Twitter (good news twitter posts), Russian troops keep on advancing inexorably without any significant Ukrainian counter-attacks.

Until Russia stops advancing completely, or until there are significant Russian setbacks in terms of Ukrainian counter attacks, I will consider the attrition/culmination outcome as a hope, with the default expectation of eventual Russian occupation of all of Ukraine followed by a decade or so of pain for everyone.
This discussion has been closed.