Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In England only in London does Starmer have a “Best PM” lead over Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited March 2022 in General
imageIn England only in London does Starmer have a “Best PM” lead over Johnson – politicalbetting.com

At the weekend Opinium became the second pollster to report that Johnson had retaken the lead over Starmer on the best PM question. This was the first time this had happened since last November.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    edited March 2022
    First
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Why should it be worrying for Labour - it just highlights area that need a particular focus on.

What I find interesting in all these surveys is how popular the Tories are / how unpopular Labour is in the Midlands compared to elsewhere and I cannot for the life of me work out why that is the case.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    (reposted FPT)
    I think that Johnson will ride out the Lebedev issues. He will keep saying that the security services never issued any meaningful warnings about him. I still haven't seen any significant evidence that Lebedev is a malign influence, other than he had a line to Putin - not unexpected for someone in his position. How Lebedev got to be where he is, and where all his money came from, is an interesting question; but Boris Johnson cannot be blamed for that.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    Soft southern jessies will buy any old shite.....
  • eek said:

Why should it be worrying for Labour - it just highlights area that need a particular focus on.

What I find interesting in all these surveys is how popular the Tories are / how unpopular Labour is in the Midlands compared to elsewhere and I cannot for the life of me work out why that is the case.

How much of that is to do with the Metro Mayor? Just as the "King of the North" is seen as Labour's figurehead / leader in exile up in Manchester, is similar thought of Andy Street?

If not him then we're back to Brexit goodness - people have decided to take a punt on Brexit and the Tories to deliver it, and the reality of how shit it is in the delivery phase hasn't sunk in yet. It will.

This year's economic prospects are increasingly brutal...
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    I guess people have forgotten that, apart from the 3 Blair election victories, the Midlands has been solidly Tory since the 70s.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    darkage said:

(reposted FPT)
    I think that Johnson will ride out the Lebedev issues. He will keep saying that the security services never issued any meaningful warnings about him. I still haven't seen any significant evidence that Lebedev is a malign influence, other than he had a line to Putin - not unexpected for someone in his position. How Lebedev got to be where he is, and where all his money came from, is an interesting question; but Boris Johnson cannot be blamed for that.

I suspect it depends whether the opposition drive Lebedev hard enough to gain traction.

Corbyn's pro-Russia narrative on the back of the Salisbury poisonings ultimately did for him. Maybe Johnson can fall down the same rabbit hole.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022
    FPT - just because it’s amusing that HUFUD doesn’t understand the word “or”.
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

I imagine these figures are well-known in the PB community, but still, quite notable. Kinda see Trump's point. And why UK, doesn't have too much to be ashamed of. I mean, Italy, having a laugh.

Here are the 10 countries with the most NATO spending:

United States ($6.85 Tn)
    United Kingdom ($655.27 Bn)
    Germany ($491.32 Bn)
    France ($477.05 Bn)
    Italy ($232.81 Bn)
    Canada ($212.77 Bn)
    Turkey ($180.00 Bn)
    Spain ($123.36 Bn)
    Poland ($113.76 Bn)
    Netherlands ($113.60 Bn)

The UK clearly already spending enough on defence, as are the UK. It is other nations in Europe who need to spend more, as does Canada
    “Clearly already spending enough”? Why? What’s clear? Nothing from these figures certainly, as they seem to be ten year projections of cash amounts. They tell you nothing about capability delivered or relative “bang for buck”.
    In terms of percentage spent on defence of gdp, of the 30 member states of NATO, only 7, the USA, UK, Poland, Greece, Romania, Latvia and Estonia have been spending at least the recommended 2%.

The others have not been pulling their weight and only now are the likes of Germany changing course
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/nato-spending-by-country
    Sigh….. You don’t measure military capability by percentage of GDP. You certainly don’t measure based on spending more or less than others. You measure it by the effect you desire and whether or not you can achieve it. Your Government cannot achieve its desired effects (the IR) and address the emerging threats, spending what we spend. Change spending or change the level of ambition. There is a choice.
    You do measure it compared to others as our defence spending and ambition is entirely dependent on our commitments required via our NATO membership or through the UN.

The only military action we would ever take on our own outside NATO, the UN or following the lead of the USA is to defend the Falklands from Argentina or Gibraltar from Spain and we still spend significantly more on defence than Spain and Argentina do
    You don’t win a war with top trumps defence budgets.

And as I keep telling you, the amount spent isn’t the whole story or even the main part of it. Why do Tories grasp this for everything but defence?

Since Spain would never invade and the garrison could defend the FI, I take it from this that you only ever want to act with the US. Fine, though that isn’t your Government’s policy. If you want that we should follow the Israeli model and buy the last 10-20% of every US production run, and use them for maintenance.
    It is the government's polcy. We only ever act militarily with NATO, the UN or US, we only ever would act on our own to defend the few remaining British overseas territories that is it.
    From your Government’s Defence Command Paper:

“The 1st (UK) Division will be capable of operating independently or as part of multilateral deployments”.

Would you like me to explain what “independently” means?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974661/CP411_-Defence_Command_Plan.pdf
    "..as part of multilateral deployments”.

Would you like me to explain what multilateral means?'Agreed upon or participated in by three or more parties, especially the governments of different countries' is the dictionary definition.

1 Division is also more than enough to defend the Falklands or Gibraltar if needed
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited March 2022

eek said:

How much of that is to do with the Metro Mayor? Just as the "King of the North" is seen as Labour's figurehead / leader in exile up in Manchester, is similar thought of Andy Street?

If not him then we're back to Brexit goodness - people have decided to take a punt on Brexit and the Tories to deliver it, and the reality of how shit it is in the delivery phase hasn't sunk in yet. It will.

There might be a small Andy Street factor, but I don’t think that can account for all of the polling difference. He’s very good at marketing and blowing his own trumpet, but there isn’t significant extra funding heading our way.

If anything, there’s a sense of disappointment setting in.

He’s eminently beatable, next time, if labour sort their shit out.

Soft southern jessies will buy any old shite.....

Indeed, the South still have Bozza on best PM, plus 12.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

eek said:

Any negative impacts of Brexit for the economy will be dwarfed by the negative impacts of the war and of covid.
    If the size of the economic hit is 100, 75 of that is war, 24 covid and 1 is Brexit.
    On topic. I feels to me like a lot is hidden in the “undecided” numbers. It was when Boris looked at his weakest, but it also is now. Would be interesting to compare and contrast to previous election cycles.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    The North is slightly worrying for Labour
    eek said:

Johnson does seem quite popular in the West Midlands particularly in seats which Labour held in 2005 but now have massive Tory majorities. We also saw the Tory vote hold up reasonably well in Erdington. I wouldn't say the West Midlands is the main swing area anymore and is not a real battleground outside of places such as as Birmingham Northfield, West Bromwich, Wolverhampton, Stoke/NuL. East Midlands is more of a battleground for Labour IMO but I imagine Johnson still has a lot of support in places like Mansfield.

I think Johnson's approval ratings in the South should be a lot more worrying for the LDs although still plenty of time for to take a hit again there.

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

I suspect it depends whether the opposition drive Lebedev hard enough to gain traction.

Corbyn's pro-Russia narrative on the back of the Salisbury poisonings ultimately did for him. Maybe Johnson can fall down the same rabbit hole.
    They may well have their own problems on this front.
    He owned 2 newspapers, so politicians of all parties will have had dealings with him.
  • The North is lost for the Tories, you can count on it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    This goes back to Starmer's strength, he was always going to appeal more to 2019 LD voting Remainers than Corbyn was and many of them have gone over to Labour and are particularly numerous in London. It is likely therefore Labour will gain Tory controlled London boroughs in May that voted Remain like Barnet, Wandsworth and Westminster as Remainers who voted LD in 2019 and 2018 rather than Labour because of Corbyn now feel safe to vote Labour with Starmer.

Wales still voted Labour even in 2019 and Scotland did not vote Tory either.

However the fact not only does Boris lead him in the Midlands and South but he also leads him as best PM narrowly still even in the North exposes Starmer's major weakness, . He still has little more appeal to Leavers in the redwall than Corbyn did, as the 2021 locals confirmed. Any gains Labour have made there have been over the negative reaction to partygate which is now starting to ebb as Ukraine overshadows it and Boris acts as a national leader again.

If Burnham was Labour leader he would surely be doing better relative to Boris in the North in particular than Starmer is
    edited March 2022
    mwadams said:

I guess people have forgotten that, apart from the 3 Blair election victories, the Midlands has been solidly Tory since the 70s.

Yes but the Tories have been in power since the 70s except for the 3 Blair election victories. To get an overall majority Labour has to win back the Midlands and do better in the North, certainly unless they can win back Scotland from the SNP Labour has zero chance of a majority without winning the Midlands again
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    NEW DELHI, March 14 (Reuters) - India is considering taking up a Russian offer to buy its crude oil and other commodities at discounted prices with payment via a rupee-rouble transaction, two Indian officials said, amid tough Western sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

India, which imports 80% of its oil needs, usually buys about 2% to 3% of its supplies from Russia. But with oil prices up 40% so far this year, the government is looking at increasing this if it can help reduce its rising energy bill.

"Russia is offering oil and other commodities at a heavy discount. We will be happy to take that. We have some issues like tanker, insurance cover and oil blends to be resolved. Once we have that we will take the discount offer," one of the Indian government officials said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-considers-buying-discounted-russian-oil-commodities-officials-say-2022-03-14/
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

When we vet people for security service roles, the threshold is not that we have proved that someone is a foreign agent. Any risks and we don't let them in.

Then the guy at the top brings in people who have lots of high risk factors associated with them which undermines all the work that is done below.

The guy at the top needs to go, not for turning a blind eye to spies (which is possible, but as you say difficult to prove) but for ignoring long standing and common sense security guidelines and bringing in potential threats that put our national security at risk.
    edited March 2022
    eek said:

The Midlands had the biggest Leave vote of any UK region in 2016, that is why.

Starmer is more popular than most Labour leaders in the South and London as the Opinium figures show, Boris the reverse (remember the SE voted Leave by less than the UK average and London voted Remain).

However Boris is more popular than most Tory leaders in the Midlands, Starmer the reverse as Opinium also shows.

Brexit is still the reason
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022
    China denies US claims that Russia asked it for drones as 'disinformation'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFt0x2RKpks

So do we take that they have provided drones or that they have said no to providing them?
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,855
    HYUFD said:

This goes back to Starmer's strength, he was always going to appeal more to 2019 LD voting Remainers than Corbyn was and many of them have gone over to Labour and are particularly numerous in London. It is likely therefore Labour will gain Tory controlled London boroughs in May that voted Remain like Barnet, Wandsworth and Westminster as Remainers who voted LD in 2019 and 2018 rather than Labour because of Corbyn now feel safe to vote Labour with Starmer.

Wales still voted Labour even in 2019 and Scotland did not vote Tory either.

However the fact not only does Boris lead him in the Midlands and South but he also leads him as best PM narrowly still even in the North exposes Starmer's major weakness, . He still has little more appeal to Leavers in the redwall than Corbyn did, as the 2021 locals confirmed. Any gains Labour have made there have been over the negative reaction to partygate which is now starting to ebb as Ukraine overshadows it and Boris acts as a national leader again.

If Burnham was Labour leader he would surely be doing better relative to Boris in the North in particular than Starmer is

More important than whether one voted Remain or Leave six years ago, is how one views the way that Brexit has been handled since then. The fact that we have a complete shambles, for which we are all paying the price, suggests to me that the Johnson Conservatives are heading for a fall.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869

NEW DELHI, March 14 (Reuters) - India is considering taking up a Russian offer to buy its crude oil and other commodities at discounted prices with payment via a rupee-rouble transaction, two Indian officials said, amid tough Western sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

India, which imports 80% of its oil needs, usually buys about 2% to 3% of its supplies from Russia. But with oil prices up 40% so far this year, the government is looking at increasing this if it can help reduce its rising energy bill.

"Russia is offering oil and other commodities at a heavy discount. We will be happy to take that. We have some issues like tanker, insurance cover and oil blends to be resolved. Once we have that we will take the discount offer," one of the Indian government officials said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-considers-buying-discounted-russian-oil-commodities-officials-say-2022-03-14/

"We have some issues..."

Including a lack of morality.
    edited March 2022

How will the oil get there? (Assuming the west buys up tanker capacity and doesn’t want it to).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    UKRAINE'S FOREIGN MINISTER SAYS UKRAINE DEMANDS CLOSURE OF GLOBAL PORTS TO RUSSIAN SHIPS

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1503339131178471424

Have any other European countries done this?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    A political colossus comments on the cause of high energy bills.

https://twitter.com/richardburgon/status/1503350743306280961?s=21
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    mwadams said:

But it's really Tory now. Here's how the Tories have performed in the Midlands relative to the rest of the Britain since 1983:

Election: East Midlands, West Midlands
    1983: 4.1pp, 2.0pp
    1987: 6.0pp, 3.0pp
    1992: 4.4pp, 2.5pp
    1997: 4.0pp, 2.9pp
    2001: 5.2pp, 3.0pp
    2005: 4.4pp, 2.3pp
    2010: 5.0pp, 3.3pp
    2015: 6.7pp, 5.0pp
    2017: 8.6pp, 6.9pp
    2019: 11.8pp, 10.5pp
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

How will the oil get there? (Assuming the west buys up tanker capacity and doesn’t want it to).
    It will probably be after the conflict has finished that any delivery takes place. Hopefully our own Government will do a similar deal - the Russians will need money to pay for the rebuilding of Ukraine. The Indians are just being clever and getting the best discount. They're often very astute business people, especially at getting discounts for cash.
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

mwadams said:

But it's really Tory now. Here's how the Tories have performed in the Midlands relative to the rest of the Britain since 1983:

Election: East Midlands, West Midlands
    1983: 4.1pp, 2.0pp
    1987: 6.0pp, 3.0pp
    1992: 4.4pp, 2.5pp
    1997: 4.0pp, 2.9pp
    2001: 5.2pp, 3.0pp
    2005: 4.4pp, 2.3pp
    2010: 5.0pp, 3.3pp
    2015: 6.7pp, 5.0pp
    2017: 8.6pp, 6.9pp
    2019: 11.8pp, 10.5pp
    The end of mining in the East Mids (and the ex-miners dying off)?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Via the Strait of Hormuz.

hyufd is an expert in this.
    Amazing how fast the plod come if squatters are in a £25 million mansion rather than some normal place...

https://twitter.com/LBCNews/status/1503356371210809348?s=20&t=EYSVm_MP1ghYdiINd-Csgg
    Cookie said:

eek said:

Any negative impacts of Brexit for the economy will be dwarfed by the negative impacts of the war and of covid.
    If the size of the economic hit is 100, 75 of that is war, 24 covid and 1 is Brexit.
    It’s amazing how quickly things can change. If you picture the “Britain in the 21st century” history text book that will be written in 100 years, I am no longer sure Brexit will get a whole chapter to itself.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

Amazing how fast the plod come if squatters are in a £25 million mansion rather than some normal place...

https://twitter.com/LBCNews/status/1503356371210809348?s=20&t=EYSVm_MP1ghYdiINd-Csgg

It's domestic property (sadly the character of the property is determinative - not the owner's ability to lawfully live in it!). I've never had a problem with arranging police involvement for that.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Terrible look.

Yes. The normal response is ‘it’s a civil matter sir’
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869

Too late lads - the wine cellar has been emptied.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Taz said:

Yet most of the comments underneath are attacking him from the left, saying that nothing short of the nationalisation of the means of production would be good enough.
  • Given the background of most of the pseudo anarchist idiots who are involved in these stunts, mummy and daddy probably live in even bigger houses than the one they broke into.

Guaranteed a Quentin, Tarquin, or Sheridan is involved.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138

Also helps if you perhaps give a £4m bonus to a Lord who is also an ex Tory energy minister.
  • Cookie said:

eek said:

Is certainly the attempted spin line that will be put out.

Here is the reality on the coal face. People have been promised the moon on a stock having been persuaded that what they backed for so long was bad for them. Delivery of their personal moon on a stick had better happen sharpish or they will think they have been conned. The red wall will not suffer excuses from fools.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    eek said:

The Tory vote at the Erdington by-election was only down by 4%.

Cookie said:

eek said:

Here is the reality on the coal face. People have been promised the moon on a stock having been persuaded that what they backed for so long was bad for them. Delivery of their personal moon on a stick had better happen sharpish or they will think they have been conned. The red wall will not suffer excuses from fools.
    You keep saying this. You’re right. But people don’t listen. It’s wasn’t jam tomorrow people were promised and if it doesnt happen there will be a reckoning of sorts.

Given the background of most of the pseudo anarchist idiots who are involved in these stunts, mummy and daddy probably live in even bigger houses than the one they broke into.

On their 8th year studying for a PhD exploring the institutional sexist and racist structures of the medieval pottery industry in the UK at f##k sticks new metropolitan university....
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    edited March 2022
    Rejoice, one of the most impressively consistent records in political predicting, that of the SNP Honeymoon Enders, remains intact. They should have a Guinness Book of Records category.

Well before Ross's abandonment of his temporary discovery of a spine, so I'd guess the SLab would be ahead of SCons now.

• MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Johnson's luck is astounding.

Ukraine has enabled him to get beyond partygate, keep covid blunders out of the headlines, turn immigration around from a very unpromising place, bury tax rises and find an excuse to finesse energy policy beyond net zero.

And then there's inflation......Food prices? Petrol costs? Vlad's fault guvnor.

Its almost tailor made.
    That defence won't stand up for more than 5 minutes though. There is a difference between a Cameron-era Tory economics platform where although its bad we're all in it together, or even a Major-era Yes it Hurt, Yes it Worked line and what we will get this time.

Remember that the approach of this government is sneering condescending arrogance. They won't be sympathising with people who can't afford to eat, they will lying that people have more money to spend on food than ever (replete with censures from ONS) and that anyone out there who can't afford to eat is a degenerate. You can even picture the sneer on their faces as they attack the victims of their policies.

Other Tories were smart enough - and frankly cared enough - to know not to treat people for fools. This lot know no other way. So the economic pain will not be deflected away to Putin or to Covid, or to the Last Labour Government, or to not existing at all except as an anti-Boris remoaner whine. It is very real and it will absolutely cripple people.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Ukraine has enabled him to get beyond partygate, keep covid blunders out of the headlines, turn immigration around from a very unpromising place, bury tax rises and find an excuse to finesse energy policy beyond net zero.

Its almost tailor made.
    That defence won't stand up for more than 5 minutes though.
    Just as well that normal peoples' attention span wrt politics is around 47 seconds.

Given the background of most of the pseudo anarchist idiots who are involved in these stunts, mummy and daddy probably live in even bigger houses than the one they broke into.

On their 8th year studying for a PhD exploring the institutional sexist and racist structures of the medieval pottery industry in the UK at f##k sticks new metropolitan university....
    I was joking about this, but it seems these people have named themselves after Nestor Makhno...

The Makhnovists’ economic policies verged on the insane. They wanted to drive society back to a primitive pre-capitalist barter economy – a supposed “natural economy” in which products were directly exchanged between workers and peasants.76 But no modern society can conceivably function on that basis. The great bulk of the working class – nurses, shop assistants, truck drivers, teachers, wharfies, construction workers, communications workers, fire fighters, clerical workers – do not produce commodities that can be simply bartered for a chicken or a loaf of bread.

To further compound the problem, the Makhnovists recognised all currencies – Red, White or Ukrainian Nationalist. This led to rampant inflation which hurt workers in the towns most.77 Moreover the Makhnovists’ immediate financial program stated that “all compulsory taxation should be discontinued and replaced by free and voluntary contributions from toilers. In a context of free and independent construction, these contributions will undoubtedly produce the best results.”78 This fairyland policy could only conceivably benefit the better off sections of the peasantry.

https://marxistleftreview.org/articles/nestor-makhno-the-failure-of-anarchism/
  • Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Yet most of the comments underneath are attacking him from the left, saying that nothing short of the nationalisation of the means of production would be good enough.
    So invade Russia and Saudi Arabia and take their oil and gas then? 😉
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    Is politics like sport, where good teams have skill and bad teams always complain that they don't have luck?
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    That defence won't stand up for more than 5 minutes though. There is a difference between a Cameron-era Tory economics platform where although its bad we're all in it together, or even a Major-era Yes it Hurt, Yes it Worked line and what we will get this time.

Remember that the approach of this government is sneering condescending arrogance. They won't be sympathising with people who can't afford to eat, they will lying that people have more money to spend on food than ever (replete with censures from ONS) and that anyone out there who can't afford to eat is a degenerate. You can even picture the sneer on their faces as they attack the victims of their policies.

Other Tories were smart enough - and frankly cared enough - to know not to treat people for fools. This lot know no other way. So the economic pain will not be deflected away to Putin or to Covid, or to the Last Labour Government, or to not existing at all except as an anti-Boris remoaner whine. It is very real and it will absolutely cripple people.
    I think Boris may be riding for a fall but not for reasons of "sneering condescending arrogance". He simply doesn't come across like that to people in the Midlands/North. Many just warm to him. They don't warm to Keir Starmer. I find it strange that otherwise perceptive posters don't seem to get this.

I just think Boris and Tories may get ground down by the cost of living crisis. People will want change and Tories have been in for a fair while. But it won't be a landslide. That would come in 2029 if Boris manages to wing it 2024.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

Always some greedy turncoats
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140
    edited March 2022
    Applicant said:

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    Is politics like sport, where good teams have skill and bad teams always complain that they don't have luck?
    There's been a growing sense of alarm ⏰ and panic from some of our left-wing posters of a nervous disposition - the watch for the RW Monday poll must be agonising for them - 2 hours 30 minutes still to go! The soothing London poll earlier is already wearing off not helped by this latest header.
    malcolmg said:

Always some greedy turncoats
    Always nice to find a MalcG post one can agree with.

Rejoice, one of the most impressively consistent records in political predicting, that of the SNP Honeymoon Enders, remains intact. They should have a Guinness Book of Records category.

Well before Ross's abandonment of his temporary discovery of a spine, so I'd guess the SLab would be ahead of SCons now.

SNP 6% down on the list vote then on the 40% they got last year

Greens have done well out of their deal with the SNP regardless of what people think of them. A strong Green Party on the list is also problematic for the Scon and Slab in 2026 although that could be balanced out by tactical voting in the constituencies although trickier when the SNP constituency vote is holding up.

Stasis continues in Scotland.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    This guy has some amazing stuff on his twitter:

https://twitter.com/nikorepi

Arrests of people in Red Square before they say anything, even if they were intending to support Putin; Zelensky advisor predicting in 2019 Russia's invasion; Russian's opinions of the war; devastatingly sad and depressing aerial imagery of Mariupol
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455

Cookie said:

eek said:

I am genuinely in two minds on this one.

On the one hand the present situation seems tailor-made for a "we're all in this together" sort of message - because it's actually true, isn't it? I'm sure people moaned about rationing during the War, but they all understood why it was done, and that there wasn't an easy alternative.

But on the other hand, we see plenty of demands to try and deny reality and protect one group of consumers, or another, or everyone, from the effects of the current turmoil. So perhaps the electorate won't be so understanding.

In 2015 the Tories won a majority despite Austerity. Why was that? I think there were two reasons. Firstly, the political messaging was spot on, necessary hardship, Labour's fault, collective sacrifice for a better tomorrow.

Secondly, they targeted austerity so that electorally important parts of society were relatively spared, and a mini house price boom was perfectly timed for polling day - and it did them no harm that this contradicted the messaging.

I don't see any reason why, in principle, the current government can't pull off the same strategy. Perhaps they're not as competent as Cameron/Osbourne, and they don't have the Liberal Democrats to act as a scapegoat, but they're likely to retain fiscal space to manoeuvre until after the general election so they might just pull it off.

"We have some issues..."

Yes. Not looking so good for India joining a democratic coalition against Russian and Chinese totalitarianism.

PB's ongoing narrative of sneering academic snobbery shifts into overdrive.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

Greens have done well out of their deal with the SNP regardless of what people think of them. A strong Green Party on the list is also problematic for the Scon and Slab in 2026 although that could be balanced out by tactical voting in the constituencies although trickier when the SNP constituency vote is holding up.

I think that's fair comment. The Greens have a strong international brand, even if their actual leaders in Scotland are complete bampots and show little interest or understanding of the environment.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    And there was me thinking all this time that @Heathener was just annoying, a wet blanket and a bit dim… must admit that they were a more skilled operative than the other two and they lasted a hell of a lot longer. Experiences that will all being going back to hq in the report to fine tune the training manual no doubt.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    He really is. If he stepped in dogshit it'd turn out on closer inspection to be a discarded M&S chocolate log. His favourite.

Decent right-minded people are at their wits end.

I think that's fair comment. The Greens have a strong international brand, even if their actual leaders in Scotland are complete bampots and show little interest or understanding of the environment.
    I think they deserve criticism over things like cuts to train services not over stuff like GRA reform.

"We have some issues..."

Yes. Not looking so good for India joining a democratic coalition against Russian and Chinese totalitarianism.
    Hold on a second. Germany is still paying hand over fist for Russian hydrocarbons. So why the moral high horse about India? Or should we sanction them too?
  • mickydroymickydroy Posts: 316

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.

I think Boris may be riding for a fall but not for reasons of "sneering condescending arrogance". He simply doesn't come across like that to people in the Midlands/North. Many just warm to him. They don't warm to Keir Starmer. I find it strange that otherwise perceptive posters don't seem to get this.

I just think Boris and Tories may get ground down by the cost of living crisis. People will want change and Tories have been in for a fair while. But it won't be a landslide. That would come in 2029 if Boris manages to wing it 2024.
    I have felt like this for a while, the Tories will just hold on next time, but wish they hadnt bothered, come the
    one after that, where I think they could be almost wiped off the map, I know a lot of people say no election is a good election to lose, but I think for the survival of the Conservative party, 2024 would be good one to lose
    moonshine said:

"We have some issues..."

Hold on a second. Germany is still paying hand over fist for Russian hydrocarbons. So why the moral high horse about India? Or should we sanction them too?
    I think direction of travel is important. Germany is planning to reduce to zero its purchases of Russian hydrocarbons, in response to the invasion. India instead sees this situations as an opportunity to increase its purchases.

I think there's a distinction there, even if you can still criticise Germany for not acting more quickly.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    moonshine said:

And there was me thinking all this time that @Heathener was just annoying, a wet blanket and a bit dim… must admit that they were a more skilled operative than the other two and they lasted a hell of a lot longer. Experiences that will all being going back to hq in the report to fine tune the training manual no doubt.

What do the sockpuppets get out of coming here? I mean, I like it here - but I think Robert commented earlier that there has been, what, 200 commenters in the past 30 days? It hardly seems worth the bother. We're quite capable of falling out with each other without outside help.
    edited March 2022
    Cookie said:

moonshine said:

What do the sockpuppets get out of coming here? I mean, I like it here - but I think Robert commented earlier that there has been, what, 200 commenters in the past 30 days? It hardly seems worth the bother. We're quite capable of falling out with each other without outside help.
    I guess because PB has been noted that widely read among political establishment and journos etc. I presume given PB reputation for digging up interesting obscure links / info they can influence this by inserting misinformation.

E.g. We had one a while back trying the COVID / pilots antivaxxer narrative, linking to a load of dodgy info.
    I love that they have kept their sense of humour through all this. And bravado
    Cookie said:

moonshine said:

Presumably they think those 200 are the pointy tip atop a giant silent ice berg of British thought leaders and policy formers. Either that or they particularly want to influence the Epping Council Local Plan, the plot of Leon’s next yarn or there is a broader more nefarious plan to sell more pineapple chunks to uk pizza wholesalers.

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

When we vet people for security service roles, the threshold is not that we have proved that someone is a foreign agent. Any risks and we don't let them in.

Then the guy at the top brings in people who have lots of high risk factors associated with them which undermines all the work that is done below.

The guy at the top needs to go, not for turning a blind eye to spies (which is possible, but as you say difficult to prove) but for ignoring long standing and common sense security guidelines and bringing in potential threats that put our national security at risk.
    Johnson gives the impression he doesn't understand national security, or just treats it all as a joke - like when he tried to appoint David Frost as National Security Advisor. He is a national security risk himself, in this respect, and should never have become foreign secretary or Prime Minister. His solo jaunts on easyjet to Lebedevs castle in Italy whilst foreign secretary are consistent with this careless disregard for national security.

With Lebedev - I agree it looks bad and shows misjudgement on Johnson's part, but I just think he will ride it out, because there is basically nothing on Lebedev apart from his nationality and unexplained wealth. If, on the other hand, something is cooked up about Lebedev and he becomes persona non grata, then it becomes much more serious for Johnson.

moonshine said:

What's the issue with @heathener
    TimT said:

moonshine said:

Well how long have you got…

"We have some issues..."

India is not bothered about Russia and was neutral in the Cold War.

It is bothered about China though with whom it has territory disputes
    TimT said:

moonshine said:

Based in Mother Russia....

TimT said:

moonshine said:

Why am I not shocked?
    HYUFD said:

SNP 6% down on the list vote then on the 40% they got last year
    Although the SNP has only two list seats to lose.

Looks like hardly any change since last year to me except more SNP constituency voters switching to the Greens on the list and that is still problematic for Labour on the list in places like Edinburgh and Glasgow.

That said SNP is still vulnerable in a bunch of constituencies to unionist tactical voting mainly in South Scotland and NE Scotland in 2026.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028
    edited March 2022
    In my opinion it is time for everyone, no matter their political allegiances, to accept everything has changed and yesterday's policies are just that and a whole new dynamic is going to require lots of adjustments to ways of thinking and the party which comes up with the 'new deal' that commands widespread support will win GE 24

The 'new deal' includes a closer relationship with the EU on defence, security and easier trade will be mutually beneficial, how we move to domestic and gas development and more UK green energy, including on shore wind farms and home insulation, together with how we fund the seemingly bottomless financial demands of the NHS and of course defence

Above all else how inflation and the immediate energy crisis are mitigated and of course how war with Russia is resolved, if it is

You may note I have not mentioned Boris or Starmer as notwithstanding the objections to each from their opponents it will be these policies that decide the outcome though if Boris does fight GE24 it would be a brave person to declare he will be shown the door
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

Why am I not shocked?
    Not quite that - IP on a blacklist.

That could well be an IP from a troll farm, but not conclusive.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508
    TimT said:

moonshine said:

@Heathener seems to be a pretty gung ho advocate of more intervention in Ukraine and berates Western leaders for being so lilly-livered.

She also repeatedly said that the virus isn't over and advocated more pro-active measures

She has been called both a Russian and a Ukrainian propaganda spammer so must be doing something right.

Apparently she has a dodgy IP address which I am told renders all her posts and arguments redundant but I'm not 100% sure why.

Other than that nothing that I can see.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

I was joking about this, but it seems these people have named themselves after Nestor Makhno...

The Makhnovists’ economic policies verged on the insane. They wanted to drive society back to a primitive pre-capitalist barter economy – a supposed “natural economy” in which products were directly exchanged between workers and peasants.76 But no modern society can conceivably function on that basis. The great bulk of the working class – nurses, shop assistants, truck drivers, teachers, wharfies, construction workers, communications workers, fire fighters, clerical workers – do not produce commodities that can be simply bartered for a chicken or a loaf of bread.

To further compound the problem, the Makhnovists recognised all currencies – Red, White or Ukrainian Nationalist. This led to rampant inflation which hurt workers in the towns most.77 Moreover the Makhnovists’ immediate financial program stated that “all compulsory taxation should be discontinued and replaced by free and voluntary contributions from toilers. In a context of free and independent construction, these contributions will undoubtedly produce the best results.”78 This fairyland policy could only conceivably benefit the better off sections of the peasantry.

https://marxistleftreview.org/articles/nestor-makhno-the-failure-of-anarchism/
    Crazy Marxists? Only a matter of time before Johnson appoints one of them to the House of Lords.

moonshine said:

"We have some issues..."

I think direction of travel is important. Germany is planning to reduce to zero its purchases of Russian hydrocarbons, in response to the invasion. India instead sees this situations as an opportunity to increase its purchases.

I think there's a distinction there, even if you can still criticise Germany for not acting more quickly.
    Yes it's tricky - the EU is phasing out over 5 years - it may be the best they can do now but it certainly suggests the previous policy in Germany and elsewhere was at best foolhardy for a long period of time.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited March 2022

PB's ongoing narrative of sneering academic snobbery shifts into overdrive.
    Indeed. One of the most important variables is the course one is studying. Unless of course it's not so much academic but social snobbery that is involved. You know, getting into Christ Church and the Oxford Union. I wonder why those Tories who went to places like Aberystwyth even bother, sometimes, given the emphasis placed by PBTories.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Be warned Vlad, PB’s onto ya!
    Alternatively it’s one of PB’s regular spasms of self importance.

TimT said:

moonshine said:

I don't believe that has been confirmed.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    felix said:

Applicant said:

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    There's been a growing sense of alarm ⏰ and panic from some of our left-wing posters of a nervous disposition - the watch for the RW Monday poll must be agonising for them - 2 hours 30 minutes still to go! The soothing London poll earlier is already wearing off not helped by this latest header.
    Firstly, not all politics is left right, Tory Labour, there’s those of us right of centre voting Lib Dem who are actually torn between getting the popcorn in for the inevitable castration of big dog on one hand and sympathy for sensible minded Tories on the other, unluckily lumbered with this albatross of a PM Much longer than natural because of this terrible crisis situation .

other pollsters are available for a more peer reviewed picture, rather than swigging just the medicine you like the sound of.

another way to look at it would be, here is the table when news dominated by an extra ordinary crisis, where even Doug Ross has withdrawn his letter to the 1922, what could this table look like in more normal times? So as a fun ending antidote to Mike’s fake tease of a header, I can actually show you the real state of play today, if it wasn’t for War Crisis rally round flag bounce.

moonshine said:

It's flattering that they think this site is so important.
    Cookie said:

moonshine said:

PB is read by a surprising range of people - a quietly influential site.

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

Waves to Dave in his over priced shed....
    Thanks everyone responding re Heathener. While I often did not agree with him/her, I admit I would not have taken the totality of posts under that name as coming from a Russian bot.

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

Waves to Dave in his over priced shed....
    {Putin shakes fist}
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

felix said:

Applicant said:

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    Firstly, not all politics is left right, Tory Labour, there’s those of us right of centre voting Lib Dem who are actually torn between getting the popcorn in for the inevitable castration of big dog on one hand and sympathy for sensible minded Tories on the other, unluckily lumbered with this albatross of a PM Much longer than natural because of this terrible crisis situation .

other pollsters are available for a more peer reviewed picture, rather than swigging just the medicine you like the sound of.

another way to look at it would be, here is the table when news dominated by an extra ordinary crisis, where even Doug Ross has withdrawn his letter to the 1922, what could this table look like in more normal times? So as a fun ending antidote to Mike’s fake tease of a header, I can actually show you the real state of play today, if it wasn’t for War Crisis rally round flag bounce.

To use a Malmesbury summing up of my own little data monolith (everyone gotta start somewhere), If it wasn’t for this crisis, Boris not winning anywhere actually behind in midlands the same pollster said, before the news narrative went extra ordinary in Feb.

so it’s either nuclear war or is this a party 😃
    TOPPING said:

TimT said:

moonshine said:

@Heathener seems to be a pretty gung ho advocate of more intervention in Ukraine and berates Western leaders for being so lilly-livered.

She also repeatedly said that the virus isn't over and advocated more pro-active measures

She has been called both a Russian and a Ukrainian propaganda spammer so must be doing something right.

Apparently she has a dodgy IP address which I am told renders all her posts and arguments redundant but I'm not 100% sure why.

Other than that nothing that I can see.
    I must admit, I have been tempted to try and impersonate a Russian bot through a spam IP address and set up a PB account, to see how it goes. I would probably be gently suggesting that much of the news is propoganda, and that we have no idea what the truth is about Ukraine. It would be a subtle form of the RT slogan 'question more'. The aim would just be to sow doubt about what is really going on, to make it more confusing than it seems, so the certainties recede. I have a good idea of who I would pick up likes from.

felix said:

Applicant said:

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.

To use a Malmesbury summing up of my own little data monolith (everyone gotta start somewhere), If it wasn’t for this crisis, Boris not winning anywhere actually behind in midlands the same pollster said, before the news narrative went extra ordinary in Feb.

so it’s either nuclear war or is this a party 😃
    Hmmmm.....

• StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    kinabalu said:

MISTY said:

darkage said:

(reposted FPT)

Its almost tailor made.
    He really is. If he stepped in dogshit it'd turn out on closer inspection to be a discarded M&S chocolate log. His favourite.

Decent right-minded people are at their wits end.
    I agree, it's genuinely shocking.

I mean, who would discard a M&S chocolate log?
This discussion has been closed.