Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Day 15 of the Ukraine crisis and some of Friday’s front pages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I have come to the conclusion that the best policy in Ukraine is to make things as difficult as possible for the Russians on every possible level. Militarily, economically, politically. The aim should be the ruin of this dictatorship.

While condemnation of Russia around Europe, North America (outside the alt right) and other developed counties is high, that is not universal. China and India are leaning pro-Russia, and much of Africa too. This poll in the Economist of Africa is sobering.

Don't worry, all the tens of billions we've wasted on foreign aid will buy us influence there. Gordon Brown and Andrew Mitchell say so.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

No (real) change there then…..

‘EU leaders also pledged to increase defence expenditures — but they will not give a specific amount during the summit, or make an overall pledge to reach the..2 percent of GDP long sought by the United States and Nato’ and which many of them signed up to

https://twitter.com/anandMenon1/status/1502196184995270659

Germany's rearmament plan is already a big step in the right direction, at least. It will mean that the UK, France and Germany all hit the 2% level., which is at least the core of a defence strategy.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,208

Taz said:

Morning all! Another day of our disgrace as we continue to turn away women and children fleeing death.

Who have we actually turned away ? Who have we actually put at risk of death.

I agree it is a shambles for sure and something that is, quite frankly, an embarrassment. A bureaucratic mess and we need to solve it. However how are we putting people at risk of death if they are in mainland Europe ?
    Who have we turned away? Swathes of examples. Many posted on here by Scott.

Are they are risk of death by Russians in France? No. Does that mean we are right to have an absolute blockade on Urkainian refugees? No. Everyone else in Europe has opened their doors. We put in a bullshit visa scheme and they deny people the ability access it (again, swathes of examples posted online where you can't get appointments or even where the place to get appointments is a figment of Patel's deranged smirk).

We used to be a decent country. What happened to us?
    We had a referendum campaign where the winning side told people that immigrants from Eastern Europe were ruining Britain and that we had no connection or responsibilities to the rest of Europe. That winning side is now in charge of the country. That is what happened to us.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,670

Alistair said:

Leon said:

FPT for KJH

Mate, I could do a top 50! I love megaliths, if I go anywhere and find out there is some mysterious ancient stone monument nearby, I practically orgasm

And now you've set me off. Here are my top ten megalithic monuments of the world

10. Newgrange, Ireland
    9. Avebury, England
    8. Carnac, France
    7. Castlerigg, England
    6. Uragh, Ireland
    5. Callanish, Scotland
    4. Ggantija, Malta
    3. Brodgar, Orkney
    2. Stonehenge, England
    1. Gobekli Tepe, Turkey

And I have seen them all

Carnac is amazing. It is true evidence that quantity is a quality all of its own. You get there and go "is that it as you see a handful of standing stones from the car park, and then you realise there are more, and more and more and a creperie and more and more.

It's gobsmacking.
    I'd like to go there, and Callanish.

But for me, the best is Nine Ladies Stone Circle in the Peak District. A sublime setting, even if the stones are tiny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Ladies
    Castlerigg stone circle is also in a sublime setting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlerigg_stone_circle

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

‘EU leaders also pledged to increase defence expenditures — but they will not give a specific amount during the summit, or make an overall pledge to reach the..2 percent of GDP long sought by the United States and Nato’ and which many of them signed up to

French and German spend is what actually matters.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,844
    The EU won't sanction oil and natural gas flows from Russia, says Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1502198402574077953
  • Options
    Cicero said:

On 9th March there was the anniversary of the Soviet terror bombing of Tallinn, and a commemoration was held around St. Nicholas church. The pictures were far too contemporary for everyone here. Many tears.

There are now at least 12,000 refugees in Estonia and almost all space is filled, To put that into context, Estonia has taken in 1% of its own population already. Poland has taken in close to 2 million. It looks as though there will be at least 5 million refugees on the move. Under the circumstances the actions of Ms. Patel undermines all of the good work that Britain has done since before the war broke out. All of Europe is trying to find a solution, all that is, except certain UK politicians who are treating this humanitarian catastrophe as a political football. This is now an increasingly urgent crisis, the frontline states need help to treat the wounded, house the homeless and so on. To match Estonia the Uk would need to take about 650,000, but even if that is too much, several hundred thousand places are needed.

Each day we fear that the situation in Kyiv will get worse, and it does feel like a climactic battle may be on the way which could make the massacre of Mariupol a mere hors d´ouevres. At some level the speed of the war has slowed down, and so the idea of a long war is entering peoples minds. On the other hand, the situation in Russia seems to be beginning to move. There are increasing signs that the truth of the disaster is now spreading and the economic pressure casused by the complete rupture with the West has shocked many Russians. Nevertheless, although there is a growing sense that Putin has shot his bolt, there still seems no way out of this impasse. My Russian friends are in despair, but feel powerless and very scared.

The war has cooled things in my investment business so I skived off yesterday and went visit the Arvo Pärt centre in Laulasmaa, about 40 minutes drive from the centre of Tallinn. The deep calm of the forest and the elegance of the modern design of the building are a wonderful reminder of the powerful serenity of much of the great man´s music. In Estonia, we know that the direct threat to Baltic security has diminished higely, though the price is being paid in Ukrainian blood. I stood in the Orthodox chapel that is a part of the design of the centre and I must admit I prayed very deeply. It is a healing place and a reminder that Estonia: rational, Lutheran and modern as it is today, also has deep roots in far older ages. Comforted to a degree I returned to Tallinn and felt able to face things once more.

We will survive, we will get through this, but many things for many people will never be the same again.

I really appreciate your posts. Truly insightful and thought-provoking.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562

Germany's rearmament plan is already a big step in the right direction, at least. It will mean that the UK, France and Germany all hit the 2% level., which is at least the core of a defence strategy.
    It might be if it actually happens. But Germany has a long history of failing to meet defence spending commitments.
  • Options
    “The Russians seem poised to control the Black Sea coast, they are underperforming but still moving — if they think they can control more territory, encircle Kyiv and achieve the relative destruction of the Ukrainian military, why would they cut a deal?”

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502199236171022340
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201

Foxy said:

Nice gain for the Greens in Occupied East Leicestershire:

Last night's by-election results:
    Herts CC, Hitchin S: LD hold
    N Herts, Hitchin Highbury: LD hold
    Herefs, Bromyard W: result awaited
    Rutland, Ryhall/Casterton: Grn gain from C

My in laws used to live in Ryhall.

But, Rutland is not Occupied Leicestershire. It was (mainly) a detached portion of Nottinghamshire.

"The north-western part of the county of Rutland was recorded as Rutland, a detached part of Nottinghamshire, in the Domesday Book; the south-eastern part as the wapentake of Wicelsea in Northamptonshire. " [ From wiki]

Rutland is Occupied Nottinghamshire (or in the south Occupied Northants).

Leicestershire's claim to Rutland is very recent -- it only dates from 1 April 1974.
    Does anyone still claim it for Leicestershire other than Foxy?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,958
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

FPT for KJH

Mate, I could do a top 50! I love megaliths, if I go anywhere and find out there is some mysterious ancient stone monument nearby, I practically orgasm

And now you've set me off. Here are my top ten megalithic monuments of the world

10. Newgrange, Ireland
    9. Avebury, England
    8. Carnac, France
    7. Castlerigg, England
    6. Uragh, Ireland
    5. Callanish, Scotland
    4. Ggantija, Malta
    3. Brodgar, Orkney
    2. Stonehenge, England
    1. Gobekli Tepe, Turkey

And I have seen them all

This might be mis-remembered nonsense: On Orkney there are two standing stones with holes in them, miles apart.

If you line them both up it directs you down the entrance tunnel to Maes Howe. Which is also aligned with the setting sun on the solstice, bathing the chamber in light.

It doesn't work any more as the axis of the earth had shifted since then.
    I can well believe it. The Orcadian megaliths are amazing

One of the many many surprises of the wonderful Stonehenge exhibition at the British Museum (which I may have menshed) was discovering just how interlinked these worlds were. Skara Brae, Stonehenge, northwest France, Germany, Denmark, even Greece - they exchanged ideas, objects, memes, motifs - as they travelled easily around Europe. They wore gold hats and wolf-teeth dresses and they had fabulous mythology. And they inhabited a wholly unspoiled world, perhaps devoid of guilt

I wonder if they were happier than us. Possibly they were
    Some people reckon a chap called Yahweh came from Judea to England to ask the Druid’s a question. “Hello Druid, son of Druid” [it may not have gone exactly like this, but similar] “can you tell me sir, before Piscean age there was no North Star, so how did your ancient builders accurately know where North was?”

Have you come across the answer to that Leon?
    Not difficult. You wait for sunrise, on any non cloudy day of the year. You put a peg between you, and sunrise. You do the same at sunset. You halve the angle between the 2, and that is north. Or south. North stars are secondary in that you only know they *are* the north star by doing this exercise
    Bloody hell. In England you could be sitting there for days.
    Today in south Devon, anything flimsier than a tree trunk would have either blown or washed away. It's foul out there.
    Same here. Visibility out to see is probably half a mile, and even our modest local hill is almost in the cloud. Windy and wet. The dog is looking glum at probably not getting to chase the ball about the park this morning. We'll have to watch Crufts Live again.
    Hounds and Terriers today.

Look out for the Portuguese Podengo Pequeno (Warren hound) the finest of all breeds. See my profile pic.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 788
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I have come to the conclusion that the best policy in Ukraine is to make things as difficult as possible for the Russians on every possible level. Militarily, economically, politically. The aim should be the ruin of this dictatorship.

While condemnation of Russia around Europe, North America (outside the alt right) and other developed counties is high, that is not universal. China and India are leaning pro-Russia, and much of Africa too. This poll in the Economist of Africa is sobering.

Has the west ceded it's influence in the rest of the world? I wondered this when Trump was talking about pulling out of European and particularly German bases because they were expensive and the Europeans ungrateful. I just wondered how an American president could be so stupid to surrender such strategic influence.

The West's power has always been in the strength of its relationships, with their societies acting as a model for prosperity. Now what are we an example of? Quick dodgy money and hypocrisy? 'We' should be out there, building the world. If we don't, we leave it others. China is ensuring all roads lead to Beijing and the countries they pass through will increasingly look to authoritarian state Capitalism as the model for Government.

I'm on a theme now, but the West needs renewal. We need to get out of this mindset that we are rich and powerful, we have always been rich and powerful, and we always will be rich and powerful. It needs to be demonstrated, again, that the rule of law, equity, justice and democracy lead to self confident, rich and happy societies. The development of Russia shows that this is not self evident. It seems that the West thought, following the fall of the Soviet Union, having tried it their way, would fall by default into a pluralistic liberal society. How could they not? What was the alternative at the end of history? Well, we know now.

Certain sections of society bitch and moan about foreign aid, the expense of engaging with the world, the BBC, that too many foreigners come here looking for a better life. All these things are our strengths in the world, and if used properly, can influence the world towards one more of our liking.
  • Options

Foxy said:

But, Rutland is not Occupied Leicestershire. It was (mainly) a detached portion of Nottinghamshire.

"The north-western part of the county of Rutland was recorded as Rutland, a detached part of Nottinghamshire, in the Domesday Book; the south-eastern part as the wapentake of Wicelsea in Northamptonshire. " [ From wiki]

Leicestershire's claim to Rutland is very recent -- it only dates from 1 April 1974.
    Comrade Heath drew those boundaries, and the Rutlandish rebels should accept his wisdom.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The actual location of the photograph used by @israel_mid_ru to support their claim the Azov battalion was operating at the Mariupol maternity hospital bombed by Russia was geolocated by @digitaljonah to 47.101092, 37.671539, over 10km away from the actual hospital site.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1502199817883238400
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,520
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

This appeared on my feed. The Cons bloke spent 35 years flying RAF helicopters but you wouldn't necessarily have backed him to make it to next week. Re the Grn candidate if they were vaguely young and healthy might have given s better chance of continuity.

Edit: or it could have been @Dura_Ace making it a fixed vs rotor wing competition.
    I flew both. 550 hours in the Lynx - the Porsche 911 of helicopters. Easy to drive fast. Very dangerous to drive very fast.

35 years is 11 or 12 consecutive flying tours which is some fucking going and shows he is a complete master at political lobbying and trading influence. He's probably wasted in local politics.
    I have many fond memories of the Lynx.

Here's the bloke and suffice to say that the photo is not a recent one. Even then. Commissioned into the RAF 40 years ago so props.

Edit: https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/meet-rutland-county-council-cabinet-member-richard-foster-1-6917321/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,449

Taz said:

Morning all! Another day of our disgrace as we continue to turn away women and children fleeing death.

I agree it is a shambles for sure and something that is, quite frankly, an embarrassment. A bureaucratic mess and we need to solve it. However how are we putting people at risk of death if they are in mainland Europe ?

Are they are risk of death by Russians in France? No. Does that mean we are right to have an absolute blockade on Urkainian refugees? No. Everyone else in Europe has opened their doors. We put in a bullshit visa scheme and they deny people the ability access it (again, swathes of examples posted online where you can't get appointments or even where the place to get appointments is a figment of Patel's deranged smirk).

We had a referendum campaign where the winning side told people that immigrants from Eastern Europe were ruining Britain and that we had no connection or responsibilities to the rest of Europe. That winning side is now in charge of the country. That is what happened to us.
    The Government have considered an influx of Eastern Europeans is politically sub optimal. Fair enough, it's their call Wouldn't it be fairer then to just put the closed sign up, rather than push refugees between pillar and post sending them from Calais to non-existant visa centres in Lille.

On the other hand Priti could always offshore them to Namibia.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

I've just realised the Commonwealth Games are being held in Birmingham this summer.

That had totally passed me by.

A good chance for our professional British athletes to boost their confidence by competing against postmen, office clerks and the lifeboat crew from Grenada, Mauritius and Tuvalu.
    Gosh what a nasty comment - how about turning it on its head and think of the opportunity it gives to those athletes - who may not get other opps - to play against top quality athletes from the likes of Uganda, Kenya, Canada....... and many more, as well as British athletes
    ‘Twas humour. And stolen from a comic I can’t remember, as well.
    Of course it was - a chance to poke fun at the British - hilarious.
    It was an innocuous joke, I dont know why people have reacted so to it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,451
    edited March 2022
    Putin running out of soldiers.?

He has just announced Russia must welcome volunteers who want to fight against Ukraine and help them get to combat

He indicated 16,000 volunteers from the Middle East are keen to fight with Russia
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,568
    what the hell are the germans playing at? three nuke reactors will close at end of year and three more could be brought back but wont be.

madness.
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140
    Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Has the west ceded it's influence in the rest of the world? I wondered this when Trump was talking about pulling out of European and particularly German bases because they were expensive and the Europeans ungrateful. I just wondered how an American president could be so stupid to surrender such strategic influence.

The West's power has always been in the strength of its relationships, with their societies acting as a model for prosperity. Now what are we an example of? Quick dodgy money and hypocrisy? 'We' should be out there, building the world. If we don't, we leave it others. China is ensuring all roads lead to Beijing and the countries they pass through will increasingly look to authoritarian state Capitalism as the model for Government.

I'm on a theme now, but the West needs renewal. We need to get out of this mindset that we are rich and powerful, we have always been rich and powerful, and we always will be rich and powerful. It needs to be demonstrated, again, that the rule of law, equity, justice and democracy lead to self confident, rich and happy societies. The development of Russia shows that this is not self evident. It seems that the West thought, following the fall of the Soviet Union, having tried it their way, would fall by default into a pluralistic liberal society. How could they not? What was the alternative at the end of history? Well, we know now.

Certain sections of society bitch and moan about foreign aid, the expense of engaging with the world, the BBC, that too many foreigners come here looking for a better life. All these things are our strengths in the world, and if used properly, can influence the world towards one more of our liking.
    Telling one section of our society to shut up about their concerns (however misguided you feel they may be) so that we can demonstrate how wonderful our way of doing things is to others, is a funny way to go about it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,759

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

I see that Nicola Sturgeon has called for the possibility of a No Fly Zone. It's personally encouraging to see that those on the Left like me are still prepared to be courageous on behalf of Ukrainians, even if it means the ultimate sacrifice.

I've been gobsmacked by the lack of courage of those on the right, especially those who are anti-state. But perhaps I shouldn't be. Not helping Ukraine militarily is the ultimate example of selfishness and self-centredness.

Off you flounce then. Not helping militarily probably ought to preclude training the Ukrainians for the last 7 years, and supplying huge amounts of arsenal in the last few weeks. I think your statement is utter tosh.
    Here's an idea.

The Polish Migs become Ukrainian Migs.

Base them at Buechel in Germany.

Bit of I beam, some welding. Basically you A-team making-something-montage.

Big announcement to the press - Ukraine has joined the US Nuclear Sharing program (not NATO). Look at those nice shiny B61s on the Ukrainian Migs.

Wonder what Nicola would say....
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Daily reminder: focus concern on the people fighting and dying in Ukraine.
    Not those holed up in a budget hotel in Calais, waiting for the home office to do something.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

I see that Nicola Sturgeon has called for the possibility of a No Fly Zone. It's personally encouraging to see that those on the Left like me are still prepared to be courageous on behalf of Ukrainians, even if it means the ultimate sacrifice.

I've been gobsmacked by the lack of courage of those on the right, especially those who are anti-state. But perhaps I shouldn't be. Not helping Ukraine militarily is the ultimate example of selfishness and self-centredness.

Sturgeon calling for a No fly zone whilst also wanting to get rid of nuclear weapons is evidence that the SNP will just jump opportunistically on to any popular policy, without being accountable in any way for the consequences. It gives me a lot of doubts about Scottish Independence, no doubt there will be people in Scotland having the same thoughts.
    I think views on that are so entrenched very little affects it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

This appeared on my feed. The Cons bloke spent 35 years flying RAF helicopters but you wouldn't necessarily have backed him to make it to next week. Re the Grn candidate if they were vaguely young and healthy might have given s better chance of continuity.

Edit: or it could have been @Dura_Ace making it a fixed vs rotor wing competition.
    I flew both. 550 hours in the Lynx - the Porsche 911 of helicopters. Easy to drive fast. Very dangerous to drive very fast.

35 years is 11 or 12 consecutive flying tours which is some fucking going and shows he is a complete master at political lobbying and trading influence. He's probably wasted in local politics.
    I have many fond memories of the Lynx.

Here's the bloke and suffice to say that the photo is not a recent one. Even then. Commissioned into the RAF 40 years ago so props.

Edit: https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/meet-rutland-county-council-cabinet-member-richard-foster-1-6917321/
    Flying Whirlwinds!! Practically contemporary with Igor Sikorsky.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

I agree completely. I don't know how we get there but the West needs to compete again. I fear only USA has the capability and they are about to go Trumpite again.
  • Options

He has just announced Russia must welcome volunteers who want to fight against Ukraine and help them get to combat

He indicated 16,000 volunteers from the Middle East are keen to fight with Russia

More about propaganda than anything IMO. Assads troops fighting in Ukraine not a good look.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Sturgeon calling for a No fly zone whilst also wanting to get rid of nuclear weapons is evidence that the SNP will just jump opportunistically on to any popular policy, without being accountable in any way for the consequences. It gives me a lot of doubts about Scottish Independence, no doubt there will be people in Scotland having the same thoughts.
    I don't agree. Scots independence is 50/50, so even if this impacts on only a few wavering voters, it could make a big difference. I wonder, for instance, what @Farooq makes of this. The UK clearly have a huge amount of credibility with the Ukrainian government - do they look at Sturgeon and see a credible player?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

More about propaganda than anything IMO. Assads troops fighting in Ukraine not a good look.
    Just gets worse sadly
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,481

Taz said:

Uncontrolled immigration from Eastern Europe after Polish etc accession to the EU. We could have limited access to benefits (for instance, as many other EU countries did/do). We did not. I think most who came worked (in both the legal sphere and black economy, but the perception was of instant access to housing and benefits ahead of UK citizens (for housing). The British are generally welcoming, tolerant people, but the dramatic influx of people in some places had huge impacts, and it upset people.

So that led to the rise of Ukip. And everything else, including the home office now being the way it is.

Plus there are an awful lot of people around the world who would love to come to the UK, but aren't strictly able to claim asylum. The country is not able to take them all.

The current situation with Ukraine should be totally different. This should be akin to putting people up when their home has been flooded. Look after them when they need it and they will go home when they can. That the home office, or Patel, or both is so tone death to see that is the scandal.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,568
    Foxy said:

I think we are past the 'good look' stage for Putin.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,188
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

FPT for KJH

10. Newgrange, Ireland
    9. Avebury, England
    8. Carnac, France
    7. Castlerigg, England
    6. Uragh, Ireland
    5. Callanish, Scotland
    4. Ggantija, Malta
    3. Brodgar, Orkney
    2. Stonehenge, England
    1. Gobekli Tepe, Turkey

And I have seen them all

This might be mis-remembered nonsense: On Orkney there are two standing stones with holes in them, miles apart.

If you line them both up it directs you down the entrance tunnel to Maes Howe. Which is also aligned with the setting sun on the solstice, bathing the chamber in light.

One of the many many surprises of the wonderful Stonehenge exhibition at the British Museum (which I may have menshed) was discovering just how interlinked these worlds were. Skara Brae, Stonehenge, northwest France, Germany, Denmark, even Greece - they exchanged ideas, objects, memes, motifs - as they travelled easily around Europe. They wore gold hats and wolf-teeth dresses and they had fabulous mythology. And they inhabited a wholly unspoiled world, perhaps devoid of guilt

Some people reckon a chap called Yahweh came from Judea to England to ask the Druid’s a question. “Hello Druid, son of Druid” [it may not have gone exactly like this, but similar] “can you tell me sir, before Piscean age there was no North Star, so how did your ancient builders accurately know where North was?”

Not difficult. You wait for sunrise, on any non cloudy day of the year. You put a peg between you, and sunrise. You do the same at sunset. You halve the angle between the 2, and that is north. Or south. North stars are secondary in that you only know they *are* the north star by doing this exercise
    Today in south Devon, anything flimsier than a tree trunk would have either blown or washed away. It's foul out there.
    Same here. Visibility out to see is probably half a mile, and even our modest local hill is almost in the cloud. Windy and wet. The dog is looking glum at probably not getting to chase the ball about the park this morning. We'll have to watch Crufts Live again.

Look out for the Portuguese Podengo Pequeno (Warren hound) the finest of all breeds. See my profile pic.
    Wire-haired Foxies for me.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,197
    Foxy said:

Yes, if only we'd done something about Assad back in the day ...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Who is paying them, and what with?
  • Options

Taz said:

Uncontrolled immigration from Eastern Europe after Polish etc accession to the EU. We could have limited access to benefits (for instance, as many other EU countries did/do). We did not. I think most who came worked (in both the legal sphere and black economy, but the perception was of instant access to housing and benefits ahead of UK citizens (for housing). The British are generally welcoming, tolerant people, but the dramatic influx of people in some places had huge impacts, and it upset people.

So that led to the rise of Ukip. And everything else, including the home office now being the way it is.

Plus there are an awful lot of people around the world who would love to come to the UK, but aren't strictly able to claim asylum. The country is not able to take them all.

The current situation with Ukraine should be totally different. This should be akin to putting people up when their home has been flooded. Look after them when they need it and they will go home when they can. That the home office, or Patel, or both is so tone death to see that is the scandal.
    There is justifiable criticism of Patel who should be out of office but it is interesting that Gove is seeking Ukraine refugee sponsorship and I would ask how many of HMG critics will offer their home as part of this scheme

Unfortunately at our age we could not but hope many will thereby making a tangible difference
  • Options
    On the stone circles, should also mention Arbor Low near Bakewell in Derbyshire.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/arbor-low-stone-circle-and-gib-hill-barrow/

Suspect it would be much better known if the stones were re-erected.
  • Options

Taz said:

I don't doubt that they now see the problem. But they are just too slow at doing anything about it. 15 days is no time at all to create a new mass visa processing system for potentially hundreds of thousands of displaced people. People need to be a bit more patient and focus on the real problems.

I concede that Patel got the tone completely wrong from the outset though. It was the usual tough home office messaging. Sometimes it looks as though she is in government as a crowd pleaser, rather than a reflection of her political skills. Sometimes she gets it wrong.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kle4 said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

I agree completely. I don't know how we get there but the West needs to compete again. I fear only USA has the capability and they are about to go Trumpite again.
    There was a piece recently (in the Guardian?) suggesting that the concept of a non-aligned movement, in Africa and the MidEast in particular, was reviving, after a long period where everyone was in one camp or another in the Cold War. Lots of countries saying we're against invasions (and voted accordingly in the UN) but we have more pressing things on our minds than conflict in Europe, we'll let you sort it out. You say we should impose sanctions? Nah. Where were you when we were worried about wars in our part of the world?

If you're in, say, Yemen or Ethiopia, it's possible to understand that position.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Can you take a swing at how and when these people might have the same thoughts, it might have political betting implications?
    Don’t be shy, no one else is.
  • Options

Foxy said:

He'll get to the point where he would happily use a Nazi Battalion to de-Nazify Ukraine.

How long before those Russian conscripts get sent regardless? He has turned Ukraine into a meat grinder, both of soldier and civilians.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

I've just realised the Commonwealth Games are being held in Birmingham this summer.

That had totally passed me by.

A good chance for our professional British athletes to boost their confidence by competing against postmen, office clerks and the lifeboat crew from Grenada, Mauritius and Tuvalu.
    Gosh what a nasty comment - how about turning it on its head and think of the opportunity it gives to those athletes - who may not get other opps - to play against top quality athletes from the likes of Uganda, Kenya, Canada....... and many more, as well as British athletes
    ‘Twas humour. And stolen from a comic I can’t remember, as well.
    Of course it was - a chance to poke fun at the British - hilarious.
    It was an innocuous joke, I dont know why people have reacted so to it.
    I think everyone here (including me) can go snowflake.
    Some more than others though.
  • Options
    Sky reporting Chelsea fans continued chanting Abramovich name at the match last night

Astonishing deaf ears
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

The crisis in Ukraine is about western renewal. That is why it is so crucial that we don't give up. It is an opportunity to change the path that we were on - of decadence, cowardice and decline.
  • Options

Taz said:

There is justifiable criticism of Patel who should be out of office but it is interesting that Gove is seeking Ukraine refugee sponsorship and I would ask how many of HMG critics will offer their home as part of this scheme

Unfortunately at our age we could not but hope many will thereby making a tangible difference
    ‘Gove is seeking Ukraine refugee sponsorship’

Golly, I hadn’t realised things had gone that badly for Gove. The Vinester is merciless.
  • Options

Taz said:

We are planning to buy a flat to house a refugee family (most likely not Syrian or Afghan rather than Ukrainian under the auspices of the existing community sponsorship scheme).
    Well done and hopefully the sponsorship scheme will be a great success
  • Options

Taz said:

Golly, I hadn’t realised things had gone that badly for Gove. The Vinester is merciless.
    Pathetic response
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

Not that surprising, most of Africa was neutral in the Cold War apart from South Africa but the National Party have been replaced by the ANC who are hardly going to follow exactly the same pro US policy as their pro apartheid previous opponents. India was neutral in the Cold War too and China was Communist in the Cold War and still is and closer to Russia than the West today.

At least most African nations on that poll oppose the Russian invasion of Ukraine even if they still want to so business with Russia
  • Options

Taz said:

Pathetic response
    Lot of sanctimony on here the morn.
    Or rather even more sanctimony than usual.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    darkage said:

Daily reminder: focus concern on the people fighting and dying in Ukraine.
    Not those holed up in a budget hotel in Calais, waiting for the home office to do something.

I don't disagree with your priorities, but it's possible to be concerned about more than one thing, and we can actually do more as a country about the latter.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,451
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

Pathetic response
    Are you going to take in a Ukrainian refugee
  • Options

Taz said:

Pathetic response
    Well take a break from posting then!
  • Options

Foxy said:

He'll get to the point where he would happily use a Nazi Battalion to de-Nazify Ukraine.

How long before those Russian conscripts get sent regardless? He has turned Ukraine into a meat grinder, both of soldier and civilians.
    He is using the Wagner Group. A mercenary company, founded by a Nazi, (multiple actual Nazi tattoos). Strangely, they have a bit of reputation for hiring Nazis and war crimes.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Many of us in the Tory right also recognise realpolitik not foolish liberal enterprises to change the world leading to World War 3.

We defend NATO that is it
  • Options

Taz said:

There are stacks of people ready to do exactly that - including many Ukrainians already in the UK trying to get their sisters / nieces here to safety.

There is this myth - no, lets call it what it is, a lie - propagated by the Tories to placate the "no forrin invaders we're British" wing of their supporters that there is nowhere to house refugees.

Having seen the work done by organisations like Tees Valley of Sanctuary there is *plenty* we can and already do offer to refugees.

We only need to find the shared humanity that every other country in Europe offered weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

"Lib Dems pave way for pact with Labour to oust Tories
    Leader Ed Davey praises Keir Starmer for transforming the largest opposition party"

https://www.ft.com/content/544fb07c-c5c2-400f-a19a-50c9a3ebc570

In return for PR?
    Apparently happy for a referendum on AV
    In which case Ed Davey is stupid but it's actually very simple

Labour / Lib Dem / Greens are 55-60% of the vote
    Tories / Right wing protest party are 40-45% of the vote.

Sort out a form of PR and it's very difficult for a Tory party with a right wing agenda to take power...
    It is also difficult for a Labour party with a left wing agenda to get as close to power as Corbyn did in 2017 under FPTP or to ever win a majority again as they did in 1945 for instance.

The LDs were also of course in government with the Tories from 2010 to 2015
  • Options

Taz said:

We are planning to buy a flat to house a refugee family (most likely not Syrian or Afghan rather than Ukrainian under the auspices of the existing community sponsorship scheme).

Taz said:

I salute the good intentions - but if @OnlyLivingBoy is buying a flat in London for the purpose of housing refugees they will be competing with first time buyers and driving up house prices, and rents as well because it reduces supply.

One of the issues with bringing refugees in to the UK is that it has its own housing crisis due to lack of supply and high prices. There are large parts of Europe which has a surplus of high quality housing which is far more suitable for refugees. For instance, there are large complexes of 1980's public housing in Scandinavian countries that have been mothballed due to depopulation. Syrian refugees have been successfully housed in Icelandic fishing villages and have successfully found work there.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

What "ultimate sacrifice" do you personally contemplate making?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    edited March 2022
    Eabhal said:

A

Scott_xP said:

Your daily reminder that all the UK has to do to get Ukrainian refugees in, and Priti Patel and her incompetent flightless monkeys at the Home Office out of their way, is introduce visa free entry...

... like literally everyone else in Europe.

Watching the Home Office trying to fight decades of ingrained institutionalised reflex to try and design a visa system not premised on pain, cruelty and dissuading applicants is unbearable.

Like when the Terminator tries to learn to smile in T2, but somehow with less humanity.

https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1502188684946423812

I think "flightless monkeys" is a little unfair. Civil servants serve their ministers, and I'm sure (given the demographics in London) they will be acting very much against their own instincts on this.

I think someone pointed out that the HO had far too many, and conflicting, objectives. Instead of rivalry with other departments, you have senior civil servants fighting each other within the same building. Counter-terror v Refugees, etc.

What is inexcusable is not getting a plan in place when the intelligence cane through on the invasion. Did they get the info? Did someone think to get a plan ready for the Minister? Did someone phone the RAF/Army/FCO/BA and see about getting boots on the ground in Poland? Did we anticipate the "no men out" policy?
    I'm not sure that's true re: the Civil Servants. Over time (and the home office has operated like this for a long time over multiple governments) people unsympathetic to the tone from the top tend to avoid appointments, and people start to recruit more like-for-like. Things go unchallenged, and gradually the whole thing becomes more and more self-similar.

The mistake people make in this kind of long-term reform challenge is the assumption that a change of direction at the top will make any meaningful impact, if there is no appetite for change amongst middle-tier decision makers, and no processes for understanding where we are, where we are going, challenging impediments, developing contextual awareness and common means of communication, through the whole chain of dependencies.

Simon Wardley has seeded a community of practice around "Wardley Mapping" which has been used extremely effectively in parts of UKGov (and elsewhere, of course) to characterise and help develop strategies to overcome these problems https://learnwardleymapping.com/
  • Options

Taz said:

There are stacks of people ready to do exactly that - including many Ukrainians already in the UK trying to get their sisters / nieces here to safety.

There is this myth - no, lets call it what it is, a lie - propagated by the Tories to placate the "no forrin invaders we're British" wing of their supporters that there is nowhere to house refugees.

Having seen the work done by organisations like Tees Valley of Sanctuary there is *plenty* we can and already do offer to refugees.

We only need to find the shared humanity that every other country in Europe offered weeks ago.
    Are you willing to take in a Ukrainian refugee family
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

FPT for KJH

10. Newgrange, Ireland
    9. Avebury, England
    8. Carnac, France
    7. Castlerigg, England
    6. Uragh, Ireland
    5. Callanish, Scotland
    4. Ggantija, Malta
    3. Brodgar, Orkney
    2. Stonehenge, England
    1. Gobekli Tepe, Turkey

And I have seen them all

Wire-haired Foxies for me.
    Smooth foxies hard done by...

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

I think we need a 'laugh' button.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Tories also held the Buckhurst Hill West Parish by election last night I helped in 53% to 47% for the Residents' candidate
  • Options

Taz said:

Pathetic response
    Are you?
    Not sure if you’ve understood the meaning of sanctimony if you’re doing the ‘how dare you make a joke about a Tory, why aren’t you doing X’ thing. I bet you’d have been one of those types handing out white feathers 107 years ago.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,119
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

A somewhat belated Good Morning.

And, IIRC, Attlee, when Leader of the opposition provided a home for at least one refugee from the Nazis.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,782
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Comrade Heath drew those boundaries, and the Rutlandish rebels should accept his wisdom.
    1974 boundaries? Never!

Gateshead will forever be in County Durham.

(And Middlesbrough a small town in Yorkshire)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,197

On the stone circles, should also mention Arbor Low near Bakewell in Derbyshire.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/arbor-low-stone-circle-and-gib-hill-barrow/

Suspect it would be much better known if the stones were re-erected.

I mentioned the nearby Nine Ladies earlier, which I have visited many times - and slept at.

However - and this seems slightly crazy to me - I've driven near to Arbor Low hundreds of times, and walked near to it on a fair few. But I've never been to see it. And I like henges. I'm always doing other things when I'm near it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

There's a difference there between the old British colonies and the old French ones.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,545
    algarkirk said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

FPT for KJH

10. Newgrange, Ireland
    9. Avebury, England
    8. Carnac, France
    7. Castlerigg, England
    6. Uragh, Ireland
    5. Callanish, Scotland
    4. Ggantija, Malta
    3. Brodgar, Orkney
    2. Stonehenge, England
    1. Gobekli Tepe, Turkey

And I have seen them all

Carnac is amazing. It is true evidence that quantity is a quality all of its own. You get there and go "is that it as you see a handful of standing stones from the car park, and then you realise there are more, and more and more and a creperie and more and more.

It's gobsmacking.
    I'd like to go there, and Callanish.

But for me, the best is Nine Ladies Stone Circle in the Peak District. A sublime setting, even if the stones are tiny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Ladies
    Castlerigg stone circle is also in a sublime setting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlerigg_stone_circle

Yes, this is where we came in! Castlerigg is my favourite - mainly for its setting (though it is also a very good circle in its own right).
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Tend to agree. Scotland appears to be in a permanent holding pattern. However, I think these kind of comments, following on from pensions, oil and gas, etc., will make it more difficult for Yes to break out of 45-50% range anytime soon. Almost seem designed to put off waverers.

It's worth noting how Sturgeon has diverged from her predecessor's approach to building a Yes-supporting voter coalition. Salmond was much keener on courting business, and it is inconceivable that he would have been so hardline on gender. Nicola, on the other hand, has brought the radical Greens into government. Maybe it's to do with the areas they represent. Nicola is Glasgow. Eck represented the Tory-facing NE.
  • Options

Sky reporting Chelsea fans continued chanting Abramovich name at the match last night

Astonishing deaf ears

Some are still out to lynch Bryant too. Fortunately they don't know where to find the Rhonnda.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Not that surprising, most of Africa was neutral in the Cold War apart from South Africa but the National Party have been replaced by the ANC who are hardly going to follow exactly the same pro US policy as their pro apartheid previous opponents. India was neutral in the Cold War too and China was Communist in the Cold War and still is and closer to Russia than the West today.

At least most African nations on that poll oppose the Russian invasion of Ukraine even if they still want to so business with Russia
    It is Francophone Africa that is more Pro-Russian. I suspect mostly a historical legacy of Soviet support for liberation movements than a sophisticated understanding of current Russia.

Just worth noting that support for Ukraine is not a slam-dunk across the world. Much is neutral or even leaning to Putin, or perhaps more accurately against Western expansionism. A legacy of colonialism and neo-colonialism in the post independence era.

In case of any doubt, I do not regard NATO or the EU as expansionist. Membership is voluntary, and reversible, and not aggressive.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,208
    darkage said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

I salute the good intentions - but if @OnlyLivingBoy is buying a flat in London for the purpose of housing refugees they will be competing with first time buyers and driving up house prices, and rents as well because it reduces supply.

One of the issues with bringing refugees in to the UK is that it has its own housing crisis due to lack of supply and high prices. There are large parts of Europe which has a surplus of high quality housing which is far more suitable for refugees. For instance, there are large complexes of 1980's public housing in Scandinavian countries that have been mothballed due to depopulation. Syrian refugees have been successfully housed in Icelandic fishing villages and have successfully found work there.

Indeed, there are no easy choices in any of this.
  • Options

Taz said:

Yes.
  • Options

Taz said:

Pathetic response
    Are you?
    Not sure if you’ve understood the meaning of sanctimony if you’re doing the ‘how dare you make a joke about a Tory, why aren’t you doing X’ thing. I bet you’d have been one of those types handing out white feathers 107 years ago.
    I have already said at our age my wife and I could not, but then your nasty responses do not contribute and as you have not responded then it can be taken you are not going to volunteer
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Worth thinking that if Putin does start a small nuclear war over Ukraine, the first place to go will be... Ukraine

Dying to save Ukraine is one thing. Getting Ukraine destroyed while dying is not quite where most people want to be....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,670
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Leader Ed Davey praises Keir Starmer for transforming the largest opposition party"

In return for PR?

Sort out a form of PR and it's very difficult for a Tory party with a right wing agenda to take power...
    It is also difficult for a Labour party with a left wing agenda to get as close to power as Corbyn did in 2017 under FPTP or to ever win a majority again as they did in 1945 for instance.

Can anyone identify. post Brexit apart, any deep and long term differences, with figures (like how much benefit levels should be, how much more should the NHS spend) between the centre left (SKS's Labour + LDs) and the policies of the present government?

Lots of bits and pieces, and lots and lots of competence issues (where do you start?) but what about real long term money spending policy?

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    The No Fly Zone debate isn't a political / ideological question in the normal sense. To take a position you are stating a view on risks and consequences. My view is that implementing it would raise the chance of nuclear war too much so we shouldn't do it. Decision makers in Western governments and military have more information and probably overt and covert channels to the Russian military and security services. They are in a better position to judge than we are - but may get it wrong. Emotional attacks on the moral fibre of those opposing a No Fly Zone or treating it like the usual political questions like levels of government expenditure are juvenile.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,119
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Tories also held the Buckhurst Hill West Parish by election last night I helped in 53% to 47% for the Residents' candidate
    SW Essex seems fertile ground for Residents, Ratepayers Party and the the like.
    How do those figures compare with last time?

And, from what I've seen, turnouts across the country ATM seem low.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LibDems seem to be doing very well in Hertfordshire as a whole. Gained St Albans, of course, in 2019. And Chesham & Amersham is just across the border. Could be big swings here next GE I suspect.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

In return for PR?

Can anyone identify. post Brexit apart, any deep and long term differences, with figures (like how much benefit levels should be, how much more should the NHS spend) between the centre left (SKS's Labour + LDs) and the policies of the present government?

Lots of bits and pieces, and lots and lots of competence issues (where do you start?) but what about real long term money spending policy?

Davey's LDs and Starmer Labour would likely push for a wealth tax, spending wise Labour would probably spend even more than Sunak. Labour would return the top income tax rate to 50% too. The LDs would want closer alignment to the SM and CU as probably would Starmer even if Labour MPs from Leave seats opposed.

Labour would also build more homes in the Home Counties greenbelt than the Tories and the LDs (many LD councillors are Nimby in the South)
  • Options

darkage said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Indeed, there are no easy choices in any of this.
    I would suggest Birmingham for your project. Multicultural. Relatively low house prices. Easy to get to from London. Strong economy and lots of jobs. Purpose built, low maintainece, flats can be bought for the purpose you envisage for £100-200k. Just watch out for the leasehold situation.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 788
    Northstar said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Telling one section of our society to shut up about their concerns (however misguided you feel they may be) so that we can demonstrate how wonderful our way of doing things is to others, is a funny way to go about it.
    Well, were I seeking office, I might spend more time in persuasion on that point. But those points can be addressed by building for today and for tomorrow. By strengthening our state institutions, providing housing and services fit for purpose, a lot of resource issues around immigration can be dealt with. This can grow the economy by creating happy, healthy and prosperous people who spend money, start businesses and innovate in new existing sectors. By being open to others coming, either permanently or to study, those that come temporarily will forge ties of friendship and when they go back they will contribute to the prosperity of their own country, binding us closer. The problem of immigration is not the immigrants, imo, but the paltry state of services and housing and the lack of opportunity within our own society.

The BBC is a global brand, incredibly well trusted. If we give it more, it can do more. Sure, I might not like Dancing with the Stars, I might not have children and don't watch Peppa Pig but the BBC puts out some cracking documentaries. When something happens in the world, I can choose a broad range of opinion to learn about it, but for facts - especially contentious ones in a developing situation, for me it hasn't happened unless the BBC have it.

It's not about telling a section of society to shut up. People can bitch and moan, and no one will ever persuade everyone to their way of looking at things (pluralism provides self correction and should be fostered), but I believe we are stronger, more influential and prosperous if we are open, tolerant and fair. I believe that we need to build this world, first because it is not self evident that democracy, freedom and the rule of law are the best systems of Governance, and secondly if these values are not promoted then others might promote authoritarianism and the arbitrary use of state violence and military power at home and abroad. And we will not be immune to such thinking in such a world.

At the root of it all, I suppose, my view is that an awesome marriage of capitalism and strong state institutions that work for people have created the richest and most prosperous societies yet known. My feeling, and it is mostly a feeling, is that we have tilted slightly to a view where people work for the benefit of Capitalism. That the making of money is the goal of capitalism makes it an engine of the economy but that shouldn't mean that wealth is the end goal of society. Money is a tool, with which society can improve itself, only if it is organised to do so. Capitalism instead needs to be made to work for people. If the proceeds of capital are made to work for society, I think an open, tolerant society can be built. It can exported and promote itself. We can make the End of History, but we have to make it, it won't just happen.

• Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

It is Francophone Africa that is more Pro-Russian. I suspect mostly a historical legacy of Soviet support for liberation movements than a sophisticated understanding of current Russia.

Just worth noting that support for Ukraine is not a slam-dunk across the world. Much is neutral or even leaning to Putin, or perhaps more accurately against Western expansionism. A legacy of colonialism and neo-colonialism in the post independence era.

In case of any doubt, I do not regard NATO or the EU as expansionist. Membership is voluntary, and reversible, and not aggressive.
    Remember that Mali has recently had a military takeover and kicked out the French.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Taz said:

It is certainly a golden opportunity for pb.com's large community of second-home owners to do something useful with their empty properties in Southwold or the Lake District or Pembrokeshire :wink:
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Northstar said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Well, were I seeking office, I might spend more time in persuasion on that point. But those points can be addressed by building for today and for tomorrow. By strengthening our state institutions, providing housing and services fit for purpose, a lot of resource issues around immigration can be dealt with. This can grow the economy by creating happy, healthy and prosperous people who spend money, start businesses and innovate in new existing sectors. By being open to others coming, either permanently or to study, those that come temporarily will forge ties of friendship and when they go back they will contribute to the prosperity of their own country, binding us closer. The problem of immigration is not the immigrants, imo, but the paltry state of services and housing and the lack of opportunity within our own society.

The BBC is a global brand, incredibly well trusted. If we give it more, it can do more. Sure, I might not like Dancing with the Stars, I might not have children and don't watch Peppa Pig but the BBC puts out some cracking documentaries. When something happens in the world, I can choose a broad range of opinion to learn about it, but for facts - especially contentious ones in a developing situation, for me it hasn't happened unless the BBC have it.

It's not about telling a section of society to shut up. People can bitch and moan, and no one will ever persuade everyone to their way of looking at things (pluralism provides self correction and should be fostered), but I believe we are stronger, more influential and prosperous if we are open, tolerant and fair. I believe that we need to build this world, first because it is not self evident that democracy, freedom and the rule of law are the best systems of Governance, and secondly if these values are not promoted then others might promote authoritarianism and the arbitrary use of state violence and military power at home and abroad. And we will not be immune to such thinking in such a world.

At the root of it all, I suppose, my view is that an awesome marriage of capitalism and strong state institutions that work for people have created the richest and most prosperous societies yet known. My feeling, and it is mostly a feeling, is that we have tilted slightly to a view where people work for the benefit of Capitalism. That the making of money is the goal of capitalism makes it an engine of the economy but that shouldn't mean that wealth is the end goal of society. Money is a tool, with which society can improve itself, only if it is organised to do so. Capitalism instead needs to be made to work for people. If the proceeds of capital are made to work for society, I think an open, tolerant society can be built. It can exported and promote itself. We can make the End of History, but we have to make it, it won't just happen.

So how much extra do you personally give to the BBC ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, I'm orrff.

Been angling for a free cremation from what I can tell.....
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

SW Essex seems fertile ground for Residents, Ratepayers Party and the the like.
    How do those figures compare with last time?

And, from what I've seen, turnouts across the country ATM seem low.
    Tories down a little over 4% from last year.

The seat was LD held about 15 years ago but now the main challengers are the Greens or Residents (no Green candidate last night)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

Taz said:

Tens of thousands have done it in Poland, Germany and other countries. There's absolutely no reason to think the same would not happen in the UK.

• Options
    Paul Goodman (ConHome) on the indispensible Gove.

"I punted Gove as Deputy Prime Minister before the last reshuffle, and then wrote after it that he now holds the post in effect, while Dominic Raab has it in name."

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/03/the-ukraine-war-quad-johnson-sunak-wallace-and-gove.html

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

I don't see it. It seems like condemnation of the invasion is high. The second question is worded in such a way that it is likely to elicit a positive response. For instance, most people would reflexively agree that economic partnership with X country is important, because the concept of "economic partnership" sounds inherently positive. It is only where an economic partnership has gone bad, for instance with China, that people may take a different view.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Africa neutral in the Cold War? Hmmm.

Quite a lot of it wasn't.

Angola, Mozambique, Libya, Algeria, Ethiopia, Egypt, and others.

Though of course it's more complex than 'aligned or neutral', as there was a lot of buying favours and sponsoring 'movements'.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,714

Taz said:

It is certainly a golden opportunity for pb.com's large community of second-home owners to do something useful with their empty properties in Southwold or the Lake District or Pembrokeshire :wink:
    I frantically back peddle on my complaints about visa problems. Priti for president.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    If wars were won on social media:

Ukrainian Defense Minister @oleksiireznikov has described Russia’s invasion as a 'terrorist war': “Russian forces killed more civilians than Ukrainian service personnel.”

📍Mariupol, before and after.

https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1502208003432660996
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    HYUFD said:

Many of us in the Tory right also recognise realpolitik not foolish liberal enterprises to change the world leading to World War 3.

We defend NATO that is it

Yugoslavia say Hi.

Further your willingness to accept a Tsarist empire, as stated, is hardly in the best interests of NATO.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530

Unpopular said:

Northstar said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

So how much extra do you personally give to the BBC ?
    Is this todays meme?

We should do more for refugees. - How many have you taken in?
    We should improve the BBC - How much extra have you paid?
    We should improve the NHS - Did you bother to train as a doctor?
    I wish for a better quality of debate on PB. So I promise to do my bit and post as little as possible today :wink:
This discussion has been closed.