Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB YouGov lead down to 2% but Johnson trails Starmer by 7% as “best PM” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited March 2022

biggles said:

In the first two months of this year, we generate 7.5 pp more of our energy usage from renewables. I believe that last year was a bad year for wind, but even so, I will never not be amazed at the rate of change.

I checked our solar energy generation yesterday for the year to March 22 and the previous year and it was only marginally higher for this year
    In February 2021, 1.85% of demand was met by solar, was 2.2% a year later, i.e. a big percent but not much change to the big picture.

Compare wind:

25.9% in February 2021 and 39.7% this year.
    I have recently concluded that everything I thought I knew about energy generation is now completely old hat (solid nuclear supply for the core load and then coal/gas to switch on and off, with wind unreliable because you can’t either control or rely on it). Energy storage, dynamic grid management at supplier level, and the efficiency of some of the renewables is just game changing. Though I am a still a big fan of nuclear, but I increasingly find the small, modular reactors the most compelling.
    This is the future

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/rolls-royce-begins-search-for-small-nuclear-reactor-sites-17-02-2022/
    When it comes to NIMBYism, the Conservative MPs are going to leave the LibDems in their wake when it comes to having one in their constituency....
    Are you planning on resurrecting your Swansea Bay Barrage/ Tidal Lagoon scheme? Canning it on the basis of poor "value for money" was a shameful decision by Greg Clark.
    It's all there, ready to go.

Just needs Boris to deliver on his words in the leadership hustings in Wales that he was a big fan.

Yeah, right.
    Genuinely- good luck!

I will lobby Comrade Drakeford and my MP Mr Cairns. Mr Cairns of course has an interest in renewables as his nose is always close to a valuable source of UK methane fuel production (his head is inside Johnson's trousers).

Anyway, off home and on my way to buy a tank of fossil fuel.
  • FossFoss Posts: 899

MattW said:

Quite an interesting in the Speccy on the position of Turkey in all of this.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-turkey-rejoin-the-west-

However I was struck by this:

"For now, Turkey is proving one of Nato’s biggest assets. Ankara has sent multiple shipments of its sophisticated Bayraktar attack drone to Kiev, effectively handing over the capability to destroy Russian armour from the air. In the Armenian conflict, the unmanned aerial vehicle swung the fighting in favour of Turkey’s close ally, Azerbaijan, and was responsible for devastating Armenia’s armed forces."

Is it really the case that Turkey has unique ownership of this tank-busting wonder weapon? No equivalents anywhere? Does the UK possess drones like these?

They deliver somewhat less performance than the first line version from 'premier' countries, but at a considerably lower cost.

I think we've had US drones that do a better job, but at 3 (?) times the cost - 5m vs 15-20m. Not sure if we have developed any of our own yet.
    Thanks, interesting. There's always someone on PB who has an insight, no matter the subject!
    Even more interesting, perhaps, are the claims associated with mini-drones.

https://uadynamics.com

These things are essentially largish model aircraft, dropping payloads of 3Kg - few grenades worth.

There are claims that they have been successfully attacking fuel trains etc at a range of 15 miles+

The chaps at your local remote control flying club could build one....

I've no idea of the truth of these claims....
    I wonder what the max wind speed for that thing is? The website is less than forthcoming.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    Ex Tory MP Richard Harrington appointed Minister for Refugees. And given peerage

This was him in 2016 - via Watford Observer
    https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1501233465022455813/photo/1
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

rcs1000 said:

In the first two months of this year, we generate 7.5 pp more of our energy usage from renewables. I believe that last year was a bad year for wind, but even so, I will never not be amazed at the rate of change.

I checked our solar energy generation yesterday for the year to March 22 and the previous year and it was only marginally higher for this year
    In February 2021, 1.85% of demand was met by solar, was 2.2% a year later, i.e. a big percent but not much change to the big picture.

Compare wind:

February is not a notably good month for solar! (It's also important to note that a lot of solar simply shows up as declines in demand, as it is used where generated rather than being fed to the grid.)
    The first point is precisely why solar is a red herring for the UK!

We aren't California or Sydney using electricity to power air conditioning, we need our power for central heating in the middle of winter - and that's only going to get worse as more people switch from gas to electric heating.

Our electricity demand peaks when solar supply dims. Its completely countercyclical to what we actually need.
    And yet, the tides keep delivering energy twice a day....and Cnut Putin can't stop it.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    kinabalu said:

Whilst UK Conservatives are nowhere near as loony as US / Canadian Conservatives, it is getting to the point that I am starting to block people self-described as Conservatives on my social media accounts.

I have had all I can take of bigots, xenophobes, apologists, people obsessed with labelling everything "woke", Qanon, lizard people, Trudeau, Biden, Boris, conspiracies, mask freedom, vaccine freedom, etc, etc, etc....

I mean WTF is going on in these people's heads?

I'm sick and tired of hearing things from alt-right, blockheaded, gaslighting, keyboard soldiers ... wtf won't they stop, man? ... oh wtf won't they stop?
    They stop if you select "block" ;)
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited March 2022

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Former Conservative MP Richard Harrington has been given a peerage and appointed Minister for Refugees across the Home Office and DLUHC.

He was previously minister for Syrian refugees under David Cameron and Theresa May

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1501231041667006464

That sounds like hopeful news. I believe Harrington had a reputation as an effective minister. Had whip withdrawn over Brexit, so shows Boris capable of reaching out to bring in talent. Let's hope so, anyway.
    He's always been capable of offering people peerages and the like.

The more pertinent point is that, in order to find someone of actual ministerial capability to get stuff done effectively and quickly (we hope), not only do they have to go beyond the cabinet, but beyond parliament to bring back someone the clown effectively sacked previously.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Scott_xP said:
    What more do you need?

Table, rubber stamp, done!

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

February is not a notably good month for solar! (It's also important to note that a lot of solar simply shows up as declines in demand, as it is used where generated rather than being fed to the grid.)

We aren't California or Sydney using electricity to power air conditioning, we need our power for central heating in the middle of winter - and that's only going to get worse as more people switch from gas to electric heating.

Our electricity demand peaks when solar supply dims. Its completely countercyclical to what we actually need.
    While I *broadly* agree with this, if the energy is cheap enough, then it still makes sense. I have a friend with a Tesla Powerwall. He's at work all day, and so his a/c only runs at weekends during the day.

Now, it's Los Angeles, but his grid energy usage has dropped 90% - and the energy is mostly being used in the evenings.

If you live in the Southern UK, and you have a decent battery backup system, then given that electricity from the grid is now 28p/KWh, then solar will almost certainly be economic for you.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

Leon said:

More unspeakable horror in Ukraine today

And I fear Russia is now advancing swiftly in the south, meaning they can take the whole Black Sea coast, and largely win the war that way

Not sure how that "wins" the war?
    It puts them in a potential position -via Trans Dniestr, to entirely encircle Ukraine, blocking all routes in, via sea and land. Then it is almost impossible to resupply the country, with arms, food, anything, and I fear Ukraine would then surrender. Understandably
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Scott_xP said:

Ex Tory MP Richard Harrington appointed Minister for Refugees. And given peerage

This was him in 2016 - via Watford Observer
    https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1501233465022455813/photo/1

Perfect back story for Priti's agenda I would have thought.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    https://twitter.com/iVisitLondon/status/1500802950909894656

"Today is the day murderous females get the recognition they so rightfully deserve, @LondonDungeon for one day only Jack the Ripper has been dubbed Jackie the Ripper.

Read More: https://ivisitlondon.co.uk/london-articles/the-london-dungeons-the-story-of-jackie-the-ripper/"

Spat out my tea when I saw this. Just incredibly bad judgement from all involved.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

While I *broadly* agree with this, if the energy is cheap enough, then it still makes sense. I have a friend with a Tesla Powerwall. He's at work all day, and so his a/c only runs at weekends during the day.

Now, it's Los Angeles, but his grid energy usage has dropped 90% - and the energy is mostly being used in the evenings.

If you live in the Southern UK, and you have a decent battery backup system, then given that electricity from the grid is now 28p/KWh, then solar will almost certainly be economic for you.
    It may be economic, potentially, but its not going to supply all your energy to power your heating in February in the UK.

Los Angeles and Loughborough have slightly different seasons and weather.
    Omnium said:

What more do you need?

Table, rubber stamp, done!

See above :)

MaxPB said:

Ragıp Soylu
    @ragipsoylu
    ·
    5h
    China says China, Germany and France should jointly support peace talks between Russia and Ukraine, per Jinping’s statement to Chinese state media

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu

It's interesting that China is trying to divide the West.
    They see Macron and Scholz as not having the resolve to see it through, IMO. Macron specifically seems to have been sounding Putin out with various peace deals that go way further than the settled NATO position of full withdrawal.
    Putin is losing this war and must be seen to lose it.

No peace without full withdrawal, including from the Donbass and potentially Crimea, and reparations.

No face saving or partial victory for Biden. He must be seen to be humiliated so nobody does this again.
    Indeed, that's the bind Putin has got himself in. Promising not to join NATO and recognising Crimea was probably achievable by threatening the invasion; after the damage and death now wreaked, and with Ukraine on a promise from such worldwide goodwill, it would be an undeserved humiliation for Zelenskiy to sign up to anything like that now.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886

biggles said:

Compare wind:

I have recently concluded that everything I thought I knew about energy generation is now completely old hat (solid nuclear supply for the core load and then coal/gas to switch on and off, with wind unreliable because you can’t either control or rely on it). Energy storage, dynamic grid management at supplier level, and the efficiency of some of the renewables is just game changing. Though I am a still a big fan of nuclear, but I increasingly find the small, modular reactors the most compelling.
    This is the future

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/rolls-royce-begins-search-for-small-nuclear-reactor-sites-17-02-2022/
    When it comes to NIMBYism, the Conservative MPs are going to leave the LibDems in their wake when it comes to having one in their constituency....
    Are you planning on resurrecting your Swansea Bay Barrage/ Tidal Lagoon scheme? Canning it on the basis of poor "value for money" was a shameful decision by Greg Clark.

Just needs Boris to deliver on his words in the leadership hustings in Wales that he was a big fan.

Yeah, right.
    Our armed forces tend to like THE BEST and custom, even if they cost double so they only get half as many.

Skodas rather than Audis do have a lot of value.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

It may be economic, potentially, but its not going to supply all your energy to power your heating in February in the UK.

At the moment, we rely on gas all the time. There's no reason to avoid bringing that down, even if there is a mishmatch between peak supply and peak demand.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

And I fear Russia is now advancing swiftly in the south, meaning they can take the whole Black Sea coast, and largely win the war that way

By my reading this conflict isn't winnable by either side. There's no meaningful definition of "win" that's likely to apply when it's over.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

At the moment, we rely on gas all the time. There's no reason to avoid bringing that down, even if there is a mishmatch between peak supply and peak demand.
    Only if its economic.

If it isn't, then the mismatch will make the problem worse not better, since we'll need more on-demand energy rather than less which is what gas is used for.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Deleted
  • kinabalu said:

Leon said:

By my reading this conflict isn't winnable by either side. There's no meaningful definition of "win" that's likely to apply when it's over.
    By my reading Ukraine can and will win this conflict.

It will be bloody, tough, expensive and with lots of fatalities. But they will prevail, as the allies did in WWII.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    Leon said:

Leon said:

It puts them in a potential position -via Trans Dniestr, to entirely encircle Ukraine, blocking all routes in, via sea and land. Then it is almost impossible to resupply the country, with arms, food, anything, and I fear Ukraine would then surrender. Understandably
    In addition to Transnistria, keep your eye on Trans- (or Sub- depending on perspective) Carpathia. Which has a significant ethnic Hungarian population, along with Ruthenes /Rusyns who do NOT identify as Ukrainian.

Thus plenty of scope for arch-Putinist Viktor Orban.

Note that Hungary seized this real estate following Hitler's full dismemberment of Czechoslovakia in 1939. And held it until the Red Army appeared over the horizon in 1944, after which it was soon annexed by USSR and included in . . . . wait for it . . . Ukrainian SSR.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    Foss said:

MattW said:

"For now, Turkey is proving one of Nato’s biggest assets. Ankara has sent multiple shipments of its sophisticated Bayraktar attack drone to Kiev, effectively handing over the capability to destroy Russian armour from the air. In the Armenian conflict, the unmanned aerial vehicle swung the fighting in favour of Turkey’s close ally, Azerbaijan, and was responsible for devastating Armenia’s armed forces."

Is it really the case that Turkey has unique ownership of this tank-busting wonder weapon? No equivalents anywhere? Does the UK possess drones like these?

They deliver somewhat less performance than the first line version from 'premier' countries, but at a considerably lower cost.

I think we've had US drones that do a better job, but at 3 (?) times the cost - 5m vs 15-20m. Not sure if we have developed any of our own yet.
    Thanks, interesting. There's always someone on PB who has an insight, no matter the subject!

These things are essentially largish model aircraft, dropping payloads of 3Kg - few grenades worth.

There are claims that they have been successfully attacking fuel trains etc at a range of 15 miles+

I wonder what the max wind speed for that thing is? The website is less than forthcoming.
    I've asked a friend in the model aircraft world - my guess is, not a lot.
    MattW said:

biggles said:

Compare wind:

This is the future

Yeah, right.
    Our armed forces tend to like THE BEST and custom, even if they cost double so they only get half as many.

I cannot remember who said it, but "Quantity has a quality all of its own"
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

England 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Alex Lees, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Dan Lawrence, 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jonny Bairstow, 7 Ben Foakes (wkt), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Craig Overton, 10 Mark Wood, 11 Jack Leach.

Craig Overton is never a test bowler and now 27. I really don't know why England keep calling him up.

But can Overton bat? We need the number nine to chip in with a double figure score to give us a chance of making it past 100.
    If you are having to rely on your #9-#11 for runs you have serious problems elsewhere in your team....oh I see what you mean.

I think my point is if England are trying to rebuild, picking a 27 year old, who despite looking like he should be able to bowl quick, can't, and isn't getting any better year on year. Bowling mid 80s in modern cricket anywhere other than England just isn't good enough unless you bend it like a banana with fantastic control i.e. Anderson.
    Cricinfo has it summed up accurately:

9.50am: Not far from the inevitable England collapse start of the morning session in Antigua
    Well they weren’t wrong!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Foss said:

MattW said:

Friends in high places?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Former Conservative MP Richard Harrington has been given a peerage and appointed Minister for Refugees across the Home Office and DLUHC.

He was previously minister for Syrian refugees under David Cameron and Theresa May

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1501231041667006464

That sounds like hopeful news. I believe Harrington had a reputation as an effective minister. Had whip withdrawn over Brexit, so shows Boris capable of reaching out to bring in talent. Let's hope so, anyway.
    Had whip withdrawn so lost his seat because of Brexit.

Which shows he's a better man than Boris in a lot of ways because most people would have told the clown to f off.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

MattW said:

biggles said:

Compare wind:

This is the future

Yeah, right.

I cannot remember who said it, but "Quantity has a quality all of its own"
    Stalin.

Foss said:

MattW said:

Ukraine is a lot less windy than here, though
    edited March 2022
    kinabalu said:

Whilst UK Conservatives are nowhere near as loony as US / Canadian Conservatives, it is getting to the point that I am starting to block people self-described as Conservatives on my social media accounts.

I have had all I can take of bigots, xenophobes, apologists, people obsessed with labelling everything "woke", Qanon, lizard people, Trudeau, Biden, Boris, conspiracies, mask freedom, vaccine freedom, etc, etc, etc....

I'm sick and tired of hearing things from alt-right, blockheaded, gaslighting, keyboard soldiers ... wtf won't they stop, man? ... oh wtf won't they stop?
    Channeling your inner Lennon? He did it just as well, 50 years ago:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
    All I want is the truth
    Just give us some truth
    I've had enough of reading things
    From neurotic, psychotic, big-headed politicians
    All I want is the truth
    Just give us some truth

Well before Twitter and t'Internet.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    MattW said:

biggles said:

Compare wind:

This is the future

Yeah, right.

Sorry - reply on wrong message.
    MattW said:

biggles said:

Compare wind:

This is the future

Yeah, right.

They want what they think is "The Best".

When someone then points out that the specification they have come up with in utterly unique and conflicts with what everyone else does....
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    Russia's talking points could be written by GPT-3 and would be as coherent... if not more so probably

https://twitter.com/BlackHC/status/1501142260934746114?s=20&t=6hTCq6ga2q4uaP1UKhNQQA
    dixiedean said:

Foss said:

MattW said:

Friends in high places?
    Ha - he builds stuff at that kind of size. Gliders mostly, IIRC
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

tlg86 said:

England 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Alex Lees, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Dan Lawrence, 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jonny Bairstow, 7 Ben Foakes (wkt), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Craig Overton, 10 Mark Wood, 11 Jack Leach.

Craig Overton is never a test bowler and now 27. I really don't know why England keep calling him up.

But can Overton bat? We need the number nine to chip in with a double figure score to give us a chance of making it past 100.
    If you are having to rely on your #9-#11 for runs you have serious problems elsewhere in your team....oh I see what you mean.

I think my point is if England are trying to rebuild, picking a 27 year old, who despite looking like he should be able to bowl quick, can't, and isn't getting any better year on year. Bowling mid 80s in modern cricket anywhere other than England just isn't good enough unless you bend it like a banana with fantastic control i.e. Anderson.
    Cricinfo has it summed up accurately:

9.50am: Not far from the inevitable England collapse start of the morning session in Antigua
    Well they weren’t wrong!
    It wasn't exactly the greatest neck-stick-out of all time...!

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.
    He's President of the Unined States.
    Talkin American - where they don do 't's.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636
    edited March 2022
    Those talking about drone capability need to bear in mind that what Turkey is offering is a completely different proposition to the Protectors (as we call them) we have bought. Our US provided solution is higher altitude, a lot more persistent (over a day I think), packed with surveillance kit, and carries a lot more payload (which is also much more advanced - e.g. U.K. made brimstone missiles). The Turkish solution fills a wonderful niche, but it doesn’t compare. A peer enemy for us would easily deal with it - it just turns out Russia isn’t a peer…
    Nosedive for the Russian Ruble. Western ban on Russian oil and gas will cripple Russia’s economy. I can’t see how this ends well for Putin. https://twitter.com/danriversitv/status/1501236124961886212/photo/1

kinabalu said:

Ah - key feature then. I'm not on Twitter. I'm thinking about it but scared I'd get addicted (as I tend to with such things).
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    biggles said:

Those talking about drone capability need to bear in mind that what Turkey is offering is a completely different proposition to the Protectors (as we call them) we have bought. Our US provided solution is higher altitude, a lot more persistent (over a day I think), packed with surveillance kit, and carries a lot more payload (which is also much more advanced - e.g. U.K. made brimstone missiles). The Turkish solution fills a wonderful niche, but it doesn’t compare. A peer enemy for us would easily deal with it - it just turns out Russia isn’t a peer…

"A peer enemy for us would easily deal with it"

I'm not disagreeing, but do you have more info on that claim?
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,871

United Nations bans staff from using ‘war’ or ‘invasion’ regarding Ukraine

Email on communications policy reminds staff of their responsibility to ‘be impartial’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/united-nations-bans-staff-from-using-war-or-invasion-regarding-ukraine-1.4821438

WTF?
    I think, if I'm right, that there can't be a war. There hasn't been a declaration of war since (I think) 1945. No nation DOWs another anymore. That's so early 20th century.

They're miliary actions, peacekeeping efforts, special military operations. Call them whatever you want, but they aren't wars.
    If they were, then the UN might have to actually try to do something more, which it clearly can't do.
    So they're NOT wars. Never have been, never will be.
    There hasn't been a war since Korea. Nothing to see here.

kinabalu said:

Channeling your inner Lennon? He did it just as well, 50 years ago:

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
    All I want is the truth
    Just give us some truth
    I've had enough of reading things
    From neurotic, psychotic, big-headed politicians
    All I want is the truth
    Just give us some truth

Well before Twitter and t'Internet.
    :smile: - That's the one, yes. Always liked it.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    biggles said:

How could the British Army shoot down a Turkish drone? Trying to work out how it could do that without expending a more expensive missile.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

The problem (with current efficiency) is that you need about 30m^2 of panel to generate the needs of the average house during the most overcast periods in the UK.

I think we are not far off viability, though.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    OllyT said:

I wonder how long Bully Bercow is going to last in the Labour Party?

Not long I suspect. He only joined them last year. Prior to that of course he was a member of the Conservative Party for 29 years and deemed fit to be selected as a Conservative MP for a decade or more
    Good take.

biggles said:

Yes.
    Somebody linked earlier to a story about ER-types letting down tyres of SUVs in urban areas.
    Here's a prediction: this may take off and could be front page news within a few days. There's a lot of urban young folk who are heartily sick of huge SUVs polluting and clogging the roads and, often, the pavements. I think the campaign may be attractive to some. It's simple and reasonably well organised through a website that is going to get a lot of hits. I won't link to it here, but a quick google of tyre extinguishers will give details to those interested in finding out more. I hasten to add I'm not in favour of such direct action (though I might have been forty years ago)!
  • mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

The problem (with current efficiency) is that you need about 30m^2 of panel to generate the needs of the average house during the most overcast periods in the UK.

And is that the needs of the average house today?

Or the needs of the average house in ten years time - with an electric car instead of a petrol one and electric heat pump instead of gas central heating?

Solar simply can't scale for winter to what we need. Its a nice toy to make things a bit cheaper for those who can afford it, but if you want to get through an English winter let alone a Scottish one you need something a bit more credible.
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

How could the British Army shoot down a Turkish drone? Trying to work out how it could do that without expending a more expensive missile.
    There's a ton of anti-drone systems already being marketed. From software mods to your classic radar controlled guns, laser weapons, electronic warfare against the communications links etc etc....

It's like the 19th cent. when those rude chaps on ships acquired quick firing guns and made all the torpedo boats a less good idea.

I think we are in a revolution of capabilities at the moment - where it will shake out to will be interesting.
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Well it would expend an expensive missile, but in so doing it would save a much more expensive armoured vehicle.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah - key feature then. I'm not on Twitter. I'm thinking about it but scared I'd get addicted (as I tend to with such things).
    I have deleted my Twitter account and my Instagram too.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The sexy PB account?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.
    Shift from "t" to "d" sound is found in many American speech patterns, but hardly universal, as even those who exhibit this tendency rarely do so all the time, but instead with particular words.

Pretty common for "united" to come out as "unided" on some occasions esp. in conversational speech.

Note that "t" to "d" shift is pretty common in Ireland, indeed one of the hallmarks of a classic "Dub" accent. Also of classic "Brooklynese" or NYC accent, which likely origin the massive Irish immigration of mid-19th century.

So perhaps Biden's "unided" is proof that he really is Irish after all?

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It will be bloody, tough, expensive and with lots of fatalities. But they will prevail, as the allies did in WWII.
    If by this you mean a free & sovereign Ukraine with borders as they were pre-invasion, I don't see it. Least not as a conclusion to this current military conflict. Maybe down the line after some seismic events in Russia. Sill, it's early days and I'm not in my comfort zone predicting how wars will go.
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

Or the needs of the average house in ten years time - with an electric car instead of a petrol one and electric heat pump instead of gas central heating?

Solar simply can't scale for winter to what we need. Its a nice toy to make things a bit cheaper for those who can afford it, but if you want to get through an English winter let alone a Scottish one you need something a bit more credible.
    Are you thinking macro or micro? I mean, as a householder the equation is pretty simple: if the total retail cost of the electricity I can generate over say 15 years would be more than the cost of the panels, and any battery solution for supply/demand smoothing costs less than the extra self-generated electricity that it enables me to use myself, then it makes sense (assuming I can fund the capital outlay). Sure, there's a gamble on the future cost of electricity but doesn't feel that likely to get cheaper. So even if it doesn't get me through a Cornish winter let alone a Scottish one it's a good trade.

Macro I can see that the effect on the supply mix effectively increases the unit cost of winter generation where the plant isn't needed in summer - is that the point?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.
    Shift from "t" to "d" sound is found in many American speech patterns, but hardly universal, as even those who exhibit this tendency rarely do so all the time, but instead with particular words.

Pretty common for "united" to come out as "unided" on some occasions esp. in conversational speech.

Note that "t" to "d" shift is pretty common in Ireland, indeed one of the hallmarks of a classic "Dub" accent. Also of classic "Brooklynese" or NYC accent, which likely origin the massive Irish immigration of mid-19th century.

I enjoyed Fiddy Cent's performance at the Super Bowl last month. :smile:
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

Somebody linked earlier to a story about ER-types letting down tyres of SUVs in urban areas.
    Here's a prediction: this may take off and could be front page news within a few days. There's a lot of urban young folk who are heartily sick of huge SUVs polluting and clogging the roads and, often, the pavements. I think the campaign may be attractive to some. It's simple and reasonably well organised through a website that is going to get a lot of hits. I won't link to it here, but a quick google of tyre extinguishers will give details to those interested in finding out more. I hasten to add I'm not in favour of such direct action (though I might have been forty years ago)!

It's happening in Brighton:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19977286.climate-activists-deflate-tyres-brighton-cars-protest/
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Well it would expend an expensive missile, but in so doing it would save a much more expensive armoured vehicle.
    Quite so; or two or three. It's what happens when the missiles run out that I wonder about.

And when I say shooting down a Turkish drone, I just meant a Turkish kind of drone at that tech level - not that there would be an actual war!
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    Zelensky using language with Churchillian resonances. Will strike home.

(PIty about the ropy translator, though.)
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The sexy PB account?
    ???

PB / Vanilla is the "Hotel California" of social media - you can create the account, but never delete it ;)
  • Polruan said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Compare wind:

Are you thinking macro or micro? I mean, as a householder the equation is pretty simple: if the total retail cost of the electricity I can generate over say 15 years would be more than the cost of the panels, and any battery solution for supply/demand smoothing costs less than the extra self-generated electricity that it enables me to use myself, then it makes sense (assuming I can fund the capital outlay). Sure, there's a gamble on the future cost of electricity but doesn't feel that likely to get cheaper. So even if it doesn't get me through a Cornish winter let alone a Scottish one it's a good trade.

Macro I can see that the effect on the supply mix effectively increases the unit cost of winter generation where the plant isn't needed in summer - is that the point?
    That's why I said it might be a nice toy for those who can get it. On a micro level it may make sense for individuals.

On a macro level though, its a terrible solution for the UK as a whole. Any macro investment should be based on solutions that actually suit the UK's climate, not California's.
  • kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.

I wouldn't have bothered commenting if he'd said "unided". That's unremarkable.

He said "unined" several times. Once when he repeated himself, seemingly trying to correct the first "We are unined" .... "unined". It sounded very weird.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If by this you mean a free & sovereign Ukraine with borders as they were pre-invasion, I don't see it. Least not as a conclusion to this current military conflict. Maybe down the line after some seismic events in Russia. Sill, it's early days and I'm not in my comfort zone predicting how wars will go.
    I'm pretty sure that seismic events in Russia will now develop. The pre-invasion Russian state and economy are going to be convulsed. I don't know whether to be optimistic, pessimistic or terrified about what will unfold. Might take a few weeks or months to get going.
    edited March 2022
    @BorisJohnson set to join Biden in banning Russian oil imports

US & UK in synch again - but not EU 🥶

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1501234726568402946

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19977286.climate-activists-deflate-tyres-brighton-cars-protest/
    Yes, that's where I picked it up from. It could easily spread to places like Bristol, Cambridge, Norwich etc., and of course Chelsea.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Yes.
    The only remaining semblance of equality between China and Russia rested on the perception of Russian military power, so things will be very different in the future.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161

I don't think it will be long until the EU signs up. So far they've just been a few days behind the big sanctions, I think one of the big differences is that the US and UK have got a lot of market power within finance and energy to make sanctions bite, the EU doesn't really.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647

I'm finding 153.9p per litre quite a deterrent in terms of car use.
    Former Speaker John Bercow has been administratively suspended from Labour after a bullying inquiry finds him guilty and bans him from parliament for life, reports Sky News.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kimbell/status/1501245891554033677
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    MaxPB said:

I don't think it will be long until the EU signs up. So far they've just been a few days behind the big sanctions, I think one of the big differences is that the US and UK have got a lot of market power within finance and energy to make sanctions bite, the EU doesn't really.
    UK to phase out by end of year is what BIS is saying.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I'm pretty sure that seismic events in Russia will now develop. The pre-invasion Russian state and economy are going to be convulsed. I don't know whether to be optimistic, pessimistic or terrified about what will unfold. Might take a few weeks or months to get going.
    Yes, Russia is about to implode, economically

The chances that Putin does something even crazier than the original invasion are unpleasantly high
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

Yes, that's where I picked it up from. It could easily spread to places like Bristol, Cambridge, Norwich etc., and of course Chelsea.
    I'm all for grass roots efforts to highlight the global social and technological challenges of climate change (especially in the face of head-in-the-sand westerns politicians and their villas on high ground), and to put pressure on business and policymakers.

However, nothing makes me want to burn more fossil fuel and pump pesticides into rivers than the total idiots who seem to dominate ER and similar groups. To the extent that I think they must have been penetrated to all heck by hostile agencies.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Boris is at his best when he is called upon for vaguely stirring pablum. Shame that's not a big part of the job and there's all the negatives.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    kle4 said:

On the Bercow report, whilst there are far worse bullies out there, his responses, evasions and distractions are absolutely typical of the petty workplace tyrant. Their rage only increases, their evasions become more desperate, their denials more weedy, their descriptions more melodramatic, as they cannot get their way. That's what it comes down to - he doesn't like it when people do not agree with him and so they are bad people.

Their attempts to paint being held to account as some operatic tragedy, their contempt for others and misunderstanding of process as they claw for a defence, it is always down to biased investigators etc, it is all so predictable and pathetic. More than anything else their responses back up allegations - yet these bullies can never see how they prove the point in such a way.

Hearing him on the World at One only confirmed that the allegations against him were true.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022

Doesn't matter if you even drive an electric one....they are still getting targeted by the eco-fascists. And of course we know been found some of the XR leadership drive a good old diesel 4x4s.
    MaxPB said:

Yes, its obviously much easier for an individual country to decide on a course of action than a group of 27 - and the EU has been more nimble, courageous and decisive in confronting this crisis than many in the past, where the tendency has been to wish it would go away.
    stodge said:

It is noticeable that motorway traffic speeds are more sedate nowdays.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,647

He can be as Churchillian as he likes - he's not getting a No Fly Zone and he's not getting NATO troops intervening.
    Not sure I am happy about "phasing out" RU oil.

we need to cut his ways of making money NOW so Putin can't pay his troops.

Too little surely?
    stodge said:

He can be as Churchillian as he likes - he's not getting a No Fly Zone and he's not getting NATO troops intervening.
    Very well then, alone.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited March 2022
    stodge said:

153.9p ?! It's 161.9p for unleaded here in North Dorset - just filled up this morning.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lots of "ifs" there Mr. Eeyore. The Russians seem to be extending their supply lines well beyond breaking point already. I think the Ukrainians already know they are playing the long game, which will slowly break Russian supply and resolve.
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Just so long as they keep out of the fast lane and let me through.
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

AEP in Telegraph thinks we should introduce 55mph speed immediately as part of wide measures to cut demand.
    Biden barely gets through this speech without lapsing into total incoherence

https://twitter.com/SarahRosemary3/status/1501237580402249732?s=20&t=Xfjy5j18coREz1PHnfGE9g

I feel for the guy. He's old and teetering on the edge of senility. He's still a trillion times better than Trump, but oh for a younger, sharper president in the White House. Zelenskyy should maybe get the job, after he's finished saving Kyiv

At least some of Biden's appointees are up to snuff. Blinken has been impressive
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,692
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.

Or as he's known in Russia, 50,000 rouble.
    stodge said:

No, but it will help ensure as much else that can be done will be. Not enough from his point of view, understandably, but guilt tripping western leaders who probably feel they should do more but cannot, will achieve some gains.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157
    kyf_100 said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.

Or as he's known in Russia, 50,000 rouble.
    Change by deed poll to 100 000 rouble tomorrow

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lots of "ifs" there Mr. Eeyore. The Russians seem to be extending their supply lines well beyond breaking point already. I think the Ukrainians already know they are playing the long game, which will slowly break Russian supply and resolve.
    I hope so. And yes, I do sometimes lapse into pessimism. It's hard not to. This is the most dangerous time for the world in my entire life. Indeed maybe the most dangerous since World War 2. It is worse than the Cuban Missile Crisis, I reckon, as that was easily and quickly solved, despite being terribly frightening

Ukraine is not easily solved. So many ways it can go BADLY wrong
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

On the Bercow report, whilst there are far worse bullies out there, his responses, evasions and distractions are absolutely typical of the petty workplace tyrant. Their rage only increases, their evasions become more desperate, their denials more weedy, their descriptions more melodramatic, as they cannot get their way. That's what it comes down to - he doesn't like it when people do not agree with him and so they are bad people.

Their attempts to paint being held to account as some operatic tragedy, their contempt for others and misunderstanding of process as they claw for a defence, it is always down to biased investigators etc, it is all so predictable and pathetic. More than anything else their responses back up allegations - yet these bullies can never see how they prove the point in such a way.

Hearing him on the World at One only confirmed that the allegations against him were true.
    I really don't envy investigators in these cases, since the Bercows of the world attempt to bully the investigating team and beset them with accusations and allegations in an attempt to derail them, and they then use the fact of their own bullying behaviour toward those investigators as proof the investigator doesn't like them and thus is biased against them (and they need to figure out a reason why the investigator has a vendetta against them, it being the only explanation).
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

OK, a crazy idea. But not much crazier than the Boris Bridge or Boris Island, or any of Boris's other pet projects.

We offer to take 500k Ukrainian refugees... and we build a city to house them. Let's call it New Kyiv, and let's put it somewhere in the red wall. Tons of new construction work, infrastructure, jobs. Levelling up. We have built "new towns" before so a completely planned new town (or two) isn't beyond the realms of possibilities. Starting with tents tomorrow, prefabs next month and real bricks and mortar by next year.

A shining example of our solidarity with our Ukrainian brothers and sisters, and even if the damn thing never gets built, it's a headline grabber for Big Dog.

Fine, just build it in the middle of central belt Scotland where Sturgeon says they love mass immigration, not the redwall
    Oh dear not happy that Scots are more discerning and imbued with more milk of human kindness than your lot.
    More simplistic racism from PB's most prejudiced and stupid poster.
    I thought was Leon HYUFD?
    I think that is unfair on both Leon and HYUFD. I don't think either of them have referred to a whole country as "your lot". I am quite surprised how many people on here put up with Malcolm's obnoxious prejudice. I guess he relies on shouting abuse at anyone who calls him out and that maybe puts people off.
    You lying rat faced arse, I have never ever said anything racist , typical lying lowlife gammon
    NOW as previously communicated take your septic shithole of a mind and

• noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,138
    biggles said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Just so long as they keep out of the fast lane and let me through.
    Overtaking lanes! Not fast, not for people who think they are doing the correct speed, or the speed limit or for people going fast to stay in. Lanes for overtaking, then returning to the next free lane.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    Leon said:

Biden barely gets through this speech without lapsing into total incoherence

https://twitter.com/SarahRosemary3/status/1501237580402249732?s=20&t=Xfjy5j18coREz1PHnfGE9g

I feel for the guy. He's old and teetering on the edge of senility. He's still a trillion times better than Trump, but oh for a younger, sharper president in the White House. Zelenskyy should maybe get the job, after he's finished saving Kyiv

At least some of Biden's appointees are up to snuff. Blinken has been impressive

Biden. He's a curious mixture of feistiness and fragility. I don't think he's senile though. Just physically fragile and a bit tongue-tied.

kinabalu said:

Biden can't say "united"

He says "unined"

Fascinating.

Well you'd be far more expert than me on this. Biden does mangle words a bit but some of it sounds to me just like what many Americans do, eg that soft d for a hard t. I do love his "Poo'an" for Putin.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

OK, a crazy idea. But not much crazier than the Boris Bridge or Boris Island, or any of Boris's other pet projects.

We offer to take 500k Ukrainian refugees... and we build a city to house them. Let's call it New Kyiv, and let's put it somewhere in the red wall. Tons of new construction work, infrastructure, jobs. Levelling up. We have built "new towns" before so a completely planned new town (or two) isn't beyond the realms of possibilities. Starting with tents tomorrow, prefabs next month and real bricks and mortar by next year.

A shining example of our solidarity with our Ukrainian brothers and sisters, and even if the damn thing never gets built, it's a headline grabber for Big Dog.

Fine, just build it in the middle of central belt Scotland where Sturgeon says they love mass immigration, not the redwall
    Oh dear not happy that Scots are more discerning and imbued with more milk of human kindness than your lot.
    More simplistic racism from PB's most prejudiced and stupid poster.
    I thought was Leon HYUFD?
    I think that is unfair on both Leon and HYUFD. I don't think either of them have referred to a whole country as "your lot". I am quite surprised how many people on here put up with Malcolm's obnoxious prejudice. I guess he relies on shouting abuse at anyone who calls him out and that maybe puts people off.
    You lying rat faced arse, I have never ever said anything racist , typical lying lowlife gammon
    NOW as previously communicated take your septic shithole of a mind and

You're in trouble if the English count as a race.

Please calm down though. I'll call in all the many favours you owe me (ok, none). The best MalcomG is not the current MalcolmG.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Zelensky quotes Hamlet. But he should be quoting Twelfth Night: "some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." For unlike Malvolio, who is intended to assume he was born great, Zelensky is the second and perhaps the third.
This discussion has been closed.