Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB YouGov lead down to 2% but Johnson trails Starmer by 7% as “best PM” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    Leon said:

Talking of Trump, this is awks for Germany

Trump was sometimes bang on, despite being mad and dangerous. This is one such occasion. Check the vid in this tweet. Trump is in the UN condemning Germany for its energy policy, which, he says, will leave them "totally dependant on Russia."

The Germans smirk and giggle

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1500902888482222080?s=20&t=MNifGJO3l0PejKNASjeiFw

Yeah they seem incredulous about what he's saying but loads of us had been saying it for years, not just Trump. I remember writing a report in 2015 or 2016 for my previous employer laying out how disastrous it would be for Germany to become dependent on Russian gas from Nord Stream 2 and that was ages ago. I was but a lowly junior market analyst at the time as well and yet across the City similar reports were being read and red flags being raised and the Germans just waived away all of the concerns and ploughed ahead with NS2 and allowed their energy mix to become dominated by Russia via NS1.

It's probably one of the biggest post-war strategic errors in Europe and hopefully unwinding it won't be too painful.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    edited March 2022
    Jesus F Christ

Desolating

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1500913960274612228?s=20&t=3tamDoDdZPnl45tq5lTwug

I'm not sure how much more of this unspeakable horror is endurable. I am tempted to go live in a hermit's cave at the end of the Athos peninsula, with a jug of wine and a slender volume of poetry
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Silver lining time. I am way too busy to see England bat or get battered. God they have really lost the place over the last 15 months.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    COVID Summary

- Cases going up. R above 1 in all regions. Interestingly, R is now falling back in the very oldest groups (80+).
    - MV beds flat
    - In hospital up a bit
    - Admissions up - R is now above 1

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911

kle4 said:

Looks positive

The Élysée Palace released images of French President Macron after his call with Putin today, regarding the invasion of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501203496716152841?cxt=HHwWksC51YyorNUpAAAA

Imagine just having had to listen to ranty Vlad for 90 mins (AGAIN)....I nearly feel sorry for Macron.
    Every minute talking to Macron is a minute not thinking about nuclear armageddon.

I honestly think it's as bad that. Good on Manu.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

I'm pretty sure that seismic events in Russia will now develop. The pre-invasion Russian state and economy are going to be convulsed. I don't know whether to be optimistic, pessimistic or terrified about what will unfold. Might take a few weeks or months to get going.

All 3 for me. Optimistic long term, pessimistic short term, terrified that the short term won't be very short.
    It won't do us any of us any good were Russia to devolve into anarchy and instability. We can all agree Putin has to go but it's up to the Russians themselves who follows him.
    And hopefully that will mean Russians as a population rather than the next exploiting clique.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275

Lol, Salvini shoots off like a rabbit with firework up its arse.

Mark Lowen
    @marklowen
    ·
    3h
    As Matteo Salvini visits the Poland-Ukraine border, the mayor of Przemysl shows him the Putin-admiring T-shirt he proudly wore in Moscow. Not so simple for a leopard to change its spots.

https://twitter.com/marklowen/status/1501209218099163147?s=20&t=5vza2O5wqJwUY3lefE_e6g

Ukrainians doing good job of shaming Putin's suck-ups, as means of pressuring them to do the right (as in correct) thing, for a change.

Wonder IF Zelensky & Co have been playing Boris Johnson the same way or similar? Perhaps one way for all those Ruski > Tory campaign contributions to do some good, for a change?
  • In these frightening times there's something reassuring and comforting that the England cricket team is so consistent.
  • MattW said:

It's a puzzle to me as to why the Ukrainians are not doing more air strikes on Russian advances.

Whatever they have left I assume it has to be eked out very carefully, high risk strikes against well defended columns with air support may not be best use. Depressingly I imagine the Ukrainians have already written off a lot of Russian objectives.
    Also objectives.

Their top priority is to survive, and that means focus on eg cities.

Also eg that 60km column is not doing much damage for now if it is just sitting there out of fuel. So they can go for other things instead.
    Yes, it seems that column is mostly harmless, so no point in attacking it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    kinabalu said:

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

I'm pretty sure that seismic events in Russia will now develop. The pre-invasion Russian state and economy are going to be convulsed. I don't know whether to be optimistic, pessimistic or terrified about what will unfold. Might take a few weeks or months to get going.

All 3 for me. Optimistic long term, pessimistic short term, terrified that the short term won't be very short.
    It won't do us any of us any good were Russia to devolve into anarchy and instability. We can all agree Putin has to go but it's up to the Russians themselves who follows him.
    And hopefully that will mean Russians as a population rather than the next exploiting clique.
    Russia has only ever known exploiting cliques.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Trump was sometimes bang on, despite being mad and dangerous. This is one such occasion. Check the vid in this tweet. Trump is in the UN condemning Germany for its energy policy, which, he says, will leave them "totally dependant on Russia."

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1500902888482222080?s=20&t=MNifGJO3l0PejKNASjeiFw

Yeah they seem incredulous about what he's saying but loads of us had been saying it for years, not just Trump. I remember writing a report in 2015 or 2016 for my previous employer laying out how disastrous it would be for Germany to become dependent on Russian gas from Nord Stream 2 and that was ages ago. I was but a lowly junior market analyst at the time as well and yet across the City similar reports were being read and red flags being raised and the Germans just waived away all of the concerns and ploughed ahead with NS2 and allowed their energy mix to become dominated by Russia via NS1.

It's probably one of the biggest post-war strategic errors in Europe and hopefully unwinding it won't be too painful.
    Merkel's "legacy" looks increasingly tatty and unimpressive as the days pass
  • Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

(Sample Size: 1658 GB adults Fieldwork: 3rd - 4th March 2022)

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Orkney and Shetland and Caithness are hardly Surrey.
    Wick is pretty posh
    Of course it is, we have family there
    Great to see Putin's willing allies who want to garner political points at home by visiting Ukrainian "front" in their warrior togs, getting their well-deserved comeuppance.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

Russia breaking a habit that stretches back centuries doesn't seem all that likely. The best we can hope for is that the next guy isn't as bad as the present.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

Polruan said:

mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

In the first two months of this year, we generate 7.5 pp more of our energy usage from renewables. I believe that last year was a bad year for wind, but even so, I will never not be amazed at the rate of change.

I checked our solar energy generation yesterday for the year to March 22 and the previous year and it was only marginally higher for this year
    In February 2021, 1.85% of demand was met by solar, was 2.2% a year later, i.e. a big percent but not much change to the big picture.

Compare wind:

25.9% in February 2021 and 39.7% this year.
    February is not a notably good month for solar! (It's also important to note that a lot of solar simply shows up as declines in demand, as it is used where generated rather than being fed to the grid.)
    The first point is precisely why solar is a red herring for the UK!

We aren't California or Sydney using electricity to power air conditioning, we need our power for central heating in the middle of winter - and that's only going to get worse as more people switch from gas to electric heating.

Our electricity demand peaks when solar supply dims. Its completely countercyclical to what we actually need.
    While I *broadly* agree with this, if the energy is cheap enough, then it still makes sense. I have a friend with a Tesla Powerwall. He's at work all day, and so his a/c only runs at weekends during the day.

Now, it's Los Angeles, but his grid energy usage has dropped 90% - and the energy is mostly being used in the evenings.

If you live in the Southern UK, and you have a decent battery backup system, then given that electricity from the grid is now 28p/KWh, then solar will almost certainly be economic for you.
    It may be economic, potentially, but its not going to supply all your energy to power your heating in February in the UK.

Los Angeles and Loughborough have slightly different seasons and weather.
    The problem (with current efficiency) is that you need about 30m^2 of panel to generate the needs of the average house during the most overcast periods in the UK.

I think we are not far off viability, though.
    And is that the needs of the average house today?

Or the needs of the average house in ten years time - with an electric car instead of a petrol one and electric heat pump instead of gas central heating?

Solar simply can't scale for winter to what we need. Its a nice toy to make things a bit cheaper for those who can afford it, but if you want to get through an English winter let alone a Scottish one you need something a bit more credible.
    Are you thinking macro or micro? I mean, as a householder the equation is pretty simple: if the total retail cost of the electricity I can generate over say 15 years would be more than the cost of the panels, and any battery solution for supply/demand smoothing costs less than the extra self-generated electricity that it enables me to use myself, then it makes sense (assuming I can fund the capital outlay). Sure, there's a gamble on the future cost of electricity but doesn't feel that likely to get cheaper. So even if it doesn't get me through a Cornish winter let alone a Scottish one it's a good trade.

Macro I can see that the effect on the supply mix effectively increases the unit cost of winter generation where the plant isn't needed in summer - is that the point?
    That's why I said it might be a nice toy for those who can get it. On a micro level it may make sense for individuals.

On a macro level though, its a terrible solution for the UK as a whole. Any macro investment should be based on solutions that actually suit the UK's climate, not California's.
    Unless you're going to ban people from installing solar, then more and more of it will get installed, and increasingly with battery backup. Because - with electricity at 28p - it makes financial sense for people to do so.

And that means you have to deal with its consequences, irrespective of whether it would fit into a "perfect" energy mix for the UK.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I wonder how long Bully Bercow is going to last in the Labour Party?

I know a party he could join..

During my run this afternoon, I had a cold shiver: Boris Johnson may be bad, but imagine if we had had Corbyn as PM over Covid and the Ukraine situation?

He's been awful over Covid, and instead of sending weapons to Ukraine, he'd probably find a reason to send them to Russia.

And I also see Chris Williamson's been making an idiot of himself on Twitter: calling on Zelensky to agree to all of Russia's demands.
    When moaning about Bercow just doesn't hit the spot.

Could you give me a run down on Corbyn's historical attitude to Putin and the Russia of the last 20ish years? I'm sure there's lots out there.
    The ex-leader of the SNP also has quite a lot too.
    Can you document that, as a matter of interest?
    Where have you been? He has his own program on RT, or maybe you missed that? Along with Corbyn, Farage and a few other idiots. They knew how it looked, but they took the money and carried on participating in the propaganda nonetheless.

They, and the fools who took money from the oligarchs have blood on their hands, but no doubt you will make the exception for the person who is the prime architect of Scottish exceptionalism.
    A chat show about UK politics, with the likes of D. Davis as guests?

Ah, you are defending him. Shame on you, and David Davis.
    Not defending him - but just checking exactly what you mean by 'propaganda'.
    Have you ever tuned in to RT news? One of the things about media generally, whether mass media or social media, is to legitimise the content. This is why people who think that Putin has not tried to influence our politics are so fecking stupid.

Salmond, Corbyn et al must have known that at some time before or after his "chat show" there would be fake news being propagated. Even if his own content was wonderfully balanced (unlikely) and not propaganda he has managed to assist with the propaganda effort. Much as I despise the fat little toad, I don't think he is stupid. He knew. People who defend him are defending the indefensible.
    More dribbling from Gammon..........

-2/10

Trying, still trying, still very trying.....
    Malmsebury, you are jaded and hav elost any sense of humour , 1/10 only because 0/10 not allowed.
    I shall continue till my dumbo stalker gets the message, he is rather slow on the uptake.
    May I suggest you take your own advice Father Jack and

Fuck Off you Xenophobic Scot
    Foreskin's little helper turns up. Jog on loser @eek
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

And you used to be such a big fan.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Good to see the news highlighting the disgraceful UK response to the refugees .

Patel is beneath contempt and thinks she can lie and smirk her way through the crisis .
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Great to see Putin's willing allies who want to garner political points at home by visiting Ukrainian "front" in their warrior togs, getting their well-deserved comeuppance.

Who? what?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:
    I don't have better links. I guess you can escape from yourself though.

Edit: I wonder how much of life is escaping from yourself.
    Now you are just being an arsehole for the sake of it Go Fuck yourself and keep your big snout out of my business. Stick to ineracting wiith other jessie boys.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,636

kle4 said:

Looks positive

The Élysée Palace released images of French President Macron after his call with Putin today, regarding the invasion of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501203496716152841?cxt=HHwWksC51YyorNUpAAAA

Imagine just having had to listen to ranty Vlad for 90 mins (AGAIN)....I nearly feel sorry for Macron.
    This is a new emotion. I’ve never felt sorry for a Frenchman before.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Just seen elsewhere a name for the 'Z' symbol Russia is using:

The Zwastika.
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/RzecznikMSZ/status/1501266521049468939

"The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Goverment, are ready to deploy – immediately and free of charge – all their MIG-29 jets to the Rammstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.

At the same time, Poland requests the United States to provide us with used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities. Poland is ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes.

The Polish Government also requests other NATO Allies – owners of MIG-29 jets – to act in the same vein."

Jet deal is go.

Only question is numbers of trained, current, pilots and munitions I guess. But this is great to see.
    Chameleon said:

"The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Goverment, are ready to deploy – immediately and free of charge – all their MIG-29 jets to the Rammstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.

At the same time, Poland requests the United States to provide us with used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities. Poland is ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes.

The Polish Government also requests other NATO Allies – owners of MIG-29 jets – to act in the same vein."

Jet deal is go.

Does that mean 2nd hand F 35s as replacements?

Also: great stuff, but how do the MiG 29s get from Germany to Ukraine?
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I got called an idiot for raising concerns at Douche Bank about their Worst Shoring IT to Russia - in 2013

In 2014 I was giggling as they ran round screaming at the fact they didn't know if the US was going to cut off access to Russia - they didn't know if the *source code* was there... as it was the QA unit was in Ukraine so they literally had development fighting QA....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited March 2022
    Applicant said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

Yesterday the Russians had a (very hopeful it must be said) set of conditions for peace. Has Ukraine responded?

No, Ukraine hasn't caved to Putin.
    Congrats on your 1000th post! :)
    Thank you! I noticed it was coming up but didn't have anything particularly creative to say in it 😂
    No-one here expects you to change your style just for round numbered posts ;)
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    rpjs said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/iVisitLondon/status/1500802950909894656

"Today is the day murderous females get the recognition they so rightfully deserve, @LondonDungeon for one day only Jack the Ripper has been dubbed Jackie the Ripper.

Read More: https://ivisitlondon.co.uk/london-articles/the-london-dungeons-the-story-of-jackie-the-ripper/"

Spat out my tea when I saw this. Just incredibly bad judgement from all involved.

I think that even beats the PSNI a couple of years back when they marked International Women’s Day by asking female officers to nominate for an award male officers that had helped them.
    international womans day is just a load of crap to justify some corporate jobs and virtue signalling. Its a day I dont venture on linkedin
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    glw said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

Russia breaking a habit that stretches back centuries doesn't seem all that likely. The best we can hope for is that the next guy isn't as bad as the present.
    So why is Putin so afraid of Ukraine/Zelenskyy?

He knows 'it could happen here.' Russia may be more prone to an Arab Spring than a jasmine revolution but we'll see.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Biden barely gets through this speech without lapsing into total incoherence

https://twitter.com/SarahRosemary3/status/1501237580402249732?s=20&t=Xfjy5j18coREz1PHnfGE9g

I feel for the guy. He's old and teetering on the edge of senility. He's still a trillion times better than Trump, but oh for a younger, sharper president in the White House. Zelenskyy should maybe get the job, after he's finished saving Kyiv

At least some of Biden's appointees are up to snuff. Blinken has been impressive

Biden. He's a curious mixture of feistiness and fragility. I don't think he's senile though. Just physically fragile and a bit tongue-tied.
    He has a stammer and has always had one. It has nothing to do with his senility or not.
    No, it's more than just a stammer. He loses the thread of speeches even when they are right in front of him. I take no pleasure in this. This is not a "smeary Trumpist talking point" - I detest Trump and the idea of him winning in 2024 fills me with dread, Trump is arguably one of the reasons Putin has started this terrible war

Biden IS mentally frail. Hopefully they can keep him together with sellotape and string and find a better candidate than Harris in 2024. And, as I have said, Biden has some impressive aides, which is a consolation
    It is a smear and comes from Trump corner. He's not "teetering on the edge of senility". He's simply a man who shows his age. That's unfashionable these days with everyone busting a gut to present as 20 years younger than they are. Quite refreshing actually. In a sense.

But, yes, like you I want to see a US president with fewer rings in the bark next time. And I also want to say how pleased and relieved I am to note from you an absence of the ludicrous 'Putin wouldn't have done this with Trump in the WH cos Trump's so tough and unpredictable" spin.

That's a feather in your cap. Your cap now has a feather.
    biggles said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Only question is numbers of trained, current, pilots and munitions I guess. But this is great to see.
    Also, are they all EXACTLY the same variant? The devil can be in the detail - an RAF pilot wouldn’t have been completely happy in a German Tornado, though needs must in a war of national survival I suppose.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

And you used to be such a big fan.
    Well meaning and dignified. Got the really big calls disastrously wrong. The German energy policy is only one step up from Putin's war in strategic idiocy.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/SarahRosemary3/status/1501237580402249732?s=20&t=Xfjy5j18coREz1PHnfGE9g

I feel for the guy. He's old and teetering on the edge of senility. He's still a trillion times better than Trump, but oh for a younger, sharper president in the White House. Zelenskyy should maybe get the job, after he's finished saving Kyiv

At least some of Biden's appointees are up to snuff. Blinken has been impressive

Biden. He's a curious mixture of feistiness and fragility. I don't think he's senile though. Just physically fragile and a bit tongue-tied.
    He has a stammer and has always had one. It has nothing to do with his senility or not.
    No, it's more than just a stammer. He loses the thread of speeches even when they are right in front of him. I take no pleasure in this. This is not a "smeary Trumpist talking point" - I detest Trump and the idea of him winning in 2024 fills me with dread, Trump is arguably one of the reasons Putin has started this terrible war

Biden IS mentally frail. Hopefully they can keep him together with sellotape and string and find a better candidate than Harris in 2024. And, as I have said, Biden has some impressive aides, which is a consolation
    It is a smear and comes from Trump corner. He's not "teetering on the edge of senility". He's simply a man who shows his age. That's unfashionable these days with everyone busting a gut to present as 20 years younger than they are. Quite refreshing actually. In a sense.

But, yes, like you I want to see a US president with fewer rings in the bark next time. And I also want to say how pleased and relieved I am to note from you an absence of the ludicrous 'Putin wouldn't have done this with Trump in the WH cos Trump's so tough and unpredictable" spin.

Sorry, but he IS teetering on the edge of senility - and that's the best case. Forgetting the name of PM of Australia and of the Defense department is not the equivalent of forgetting where you put the car keys.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    No, but special reasons - inherited from the Gladstonian agrarian reforms of the late C19. Not exactly relevant to the extensive crofting landscapes of Sunninghill and Virginia Water, it must be said.
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

2nd hand F-16s at a guess - I would be surprised if Poland has had their pilots trained up on F35 yet, though they've ordered them.

Yes, it's a strange way round of doing it - emphasising the US connection....

The US does have a squadrons or 2 of pilots who are expert on Russian aircraft.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Erm...I think they are flown by Ukranian pilots. Apparently they have the instruction manuals.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but it occurs to me that Ukranian MiGs might present a particular problem to the Russians as they may not be able to identify them as hostile....until it is too late?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Is it being done that way so that it becomes a deal between the US and Ukraine to avoid Poland becoming a target?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm picturing a very strong lobby to prevent challenge to Harris assuming Biden is not running. Show unity behind serving VP, first WoC nominee etc.
    If the polling looks sufficiently dire (& should she not up her game, then it very likely will) that is not going to happen.
    Leon said:

Jesus F Christ

Desolating

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1500913960274612228?s=20&t=3tamDoDdZPnl45tq5lTwug

I'm not sure how much more of this unspeakable horror is endurable. I am tempted to go live in a hermit's cave at the end of the Athos peninsula, with a jug of wine and a slender volume of poetry

IIRC these days Athos is swimming in Russian money, and full of religious nutter doubling as hyper-nationalists. Maybe your cup of chai, though lack of females could prove problematic?

Dingle Peninsula would be a better choice over all. Just don't let locals get wind of what you think of them.
    So Macdonalds are closing their Russian restaurants but are to keep paying the staff - ie sending money into the country then (as no russian income) to pay Russians - Fantastic - almost as good as Boris forcing BP to give 20% of Rosvelt to Russia for nothing. We are really living in a Alice in Wonderland world - Paying Rusian furlough FFS
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited March 2022

In these frightening times there's something reassuring and comforting that the England cricket team is so consistent.

It’s not going to change until we stop sending these tourists out to play for our country and start taking it seriously with some proper sportsmen.

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Erm...I think they are flown by Ukranian pilots. Apparently they have the instruction manuals.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but it occurs to me that Ukranian MiGs might present a particular problem to the Russians as they may not be able to identify them as hostile....until it is too late?
    Good thing it's not a UK airbase then, they'd be waiting till Christmas for visas.

Must dash, but this is something I think nobody would have dared to do a week ago. Vlad looks seriously weakened, incl as a nuclear threat.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sorry, but he IS teetering on the edge of senility - and that's the best case. Forgetting the name of PM of Australia and of the Defense department is not the equivalent of forgetting where you put the car keys.
    More horseshit. PM of the Defense Department?
    Watching Biden speak and his "Poo'an" seems to truncate sometimes - particularly in a long sentence - to a plain and simple "Poo".
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576

So Macdonalds are closing their Russian restaurants but are to keep paying the staff - ie sending money into the country then (as no russian income) to pay Russians - Fantastic - almost as good as Boris forcing BP to give 20% of Rosvelt to Russia for nothing. We are really living in a Alice in Wonderland world - Paying Rusian furlough FFS

Is that true? If there are sanctions how is the money being transferred?
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Good thing it's not a UK airbase then, they'd be waiting till Christmas for visas.

Must dash, but this is something I think nobody would have dared to do a week ago. Vlad looks seriously weakened, incl as a nuclear threat.
    well lets hope its not just gung-ho and sod the risk to the world brit and yank bravo
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    I go through alternating waves of worry, hope, despair, and happiness (*).

This morning I was hopeful that Ukraine might just do it. Now I'm in a worry phase. The other evening I had worry and despair simultaneously.

Am I the only one going through this?

What a time to do a 'dry' month...

(*) I have a young son. It's impossible not to be happy.
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

• TresTres Posts: 2,651
    Caithness, that'll get some bites.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886

Perhaps McDonald's already have reserves in country.

In a country descending into chaos, it seems a reasonable thing to do for loyal employees.

Maybe it will prevent Putin stealing it all in a few weeks.

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

NE Fife contains posh St Andrews of course too
    Farooq said:

Sales taxes withheld though. 850 stores closed. Some of the custom will just move elsewhere, but some will be lost.
    It's symbolic, but symbolic can be good.
    or bad - no need to cut all ties - mixing is good for the world - isolation is not
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    How many MiGs do Poland have? I can't find a number on wiki. Are we concluding that flying planes into Ukraine from outside is fair game?
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I have memory fades and I'm much younger. My nearly 90 dad has lots. But I've known people who've genuinely lost it and it's different to that. They lose the power of reasoning and their grip on reality. I see none of that with Joe or even close to it.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

rpjs said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/iVisitLondon/status/1500802950909894656

"Today is the day murderous females get the recognition they so rightfully deserve, @LondonDungeon for one day only Jack the Ripper has been dubbed Jackie the Ripper.

Read More: https://ivisitlondon.co.uk/london-articles/the-london-dungeons-the-story-of-jackie-the-ripper/"

Spat out my tea when I saw this. Just incredibly bad judgement from all involved.

I think that even beats the PSNI a couple of years back when they marked International Women’s Day by asking female officers to nominate for an award male officers that had helped them.
    international womans day is just a load of crap to justify some corporate jobs and virtue signalling. Its a day I dont venture on linkedin
    I also made the mistake of looking at linkedin. Identity politics continues to make idiots out of people.

How many MiGs do Poland have? I can't find a number on wiki. Are we concluding that flying planes into Ukraine from outside is fair game?

I think they got around 30 ex DDR ones from Germany?
    Way Off Topic - Seattle Times ($) - [Seattle] Seahawks are reportedly trading star quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos in one of the biggest trades in Seattle sports history.

SSI - this is BIG news here, shocking but hardly surprising.

BTW, Russell Wilson is NOT anywhere near as popular in Emerald City & environs as he was only a few years ago. One sign is that until recently Alaska Airlines featured RW prominently in local advertising - but NOT for last six months or more.

In contrast, old commercials for Beacon Plumbing featuring Marshawn Lynch are being re-run, despite fact ML is no longer playing for any NFL team, and hasn't been a Seahawk for years.

Marshawn's commercial is a fan fav; best bit is when little kid about 2 years old points to him and says "Beast Mode!"
  • How many MiGs do Poland have? I can't find a number on wiki. Are we concluding that flying planes into Ukraine from outside is fair game?

Why not? If Russia can invade from Belarus.....

They intervene in trouble spots around the globe. They can hardly complain if Poland let the Ukranians use their tarmac.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Back to the falklands and the Exocet missiles we couldn’t recognise as coming from an enemy..
    kinabalu said:

Watching Biden speak and his "Poo'an" seems to truncate sometimes - particularly in a long sentence - to a plain and simple "Poo".

Apt
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Back to the falklands and the Exocet missiles we couldn’t recognise as coming from an enemy..
    To distinguish them from all those friendly Exocet missiles fired at them? ;)
    Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

Glad to see that my interpretation of the Wallace interview this morning was about right.
    The transfer via the US makes sense, since it puts them in between the Poles and the Russians, giving the former full cover of NATO’s most powerful member.
    And creates an obligation to replace the kit, presumably with F16s.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited March 2022
    Do McDonald's actually own the restaurants in Russia. I thought McDonald's whole business model was buy the land, get a franchisee, tell them they must build it on that land, make money as the landlord without the risk of actually running a restaurant.
    edited March 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

I think the Russians screwed up their IFF some time ago by letting the Ukrainians capture some intact S2A missile installations intact, and the knowledge therewith.
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    It helps to be posh to see posh, so clearly that rules out you!

kinabalu said:

Apt
    That's what I thought. I hope it catches on.
  • Sturgeon on top of the important stuff. Like apologising to witches..

"Nicola Sturgeon apologises to people accused of witchcraft"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-60667533
    RobD said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

To distinguish them from all those friendly Exocet missiles fired at them? ;)
    Talking of Exocets, I wonder if the Russian fleet will get any more nasty surprises if they get too close to shore?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Edinburgh West is a big mix* of a constituency.

On the one hand, it includes Cramond, South Queensferry and Ratho.

But on the other hand, it includes Kirkliston, Muirhouse (!) and Drylaw.

Muirhouse is almost as bad as Oxgangs. Middle class part of the city - what are you like? My daughter happened to live in Muirhouse with her mother for a year. She ended up taking a bus to go to a school in Edinburgh North and Leith to avoid the local schools.

* Albeit the constituent parts don't show much evidence of mixing overmuch to form a cohesive whole, despite geographical proximity.
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

* Albeit the constituent parts don't show much evidence of mixing overmuch to form a cohesive whole, despite geographical proximity.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

I would say Edinburgh West is a pretty stereotypical suburban LD seat - Corstorphine and Murrayfield certainly are posh (at least Corstorphine village etc) even if the rest of the constituency is predominantly middle class rather than posh ie lots of new build housing in places like Ratho, Kirkliston and S Queensferry. It's turning into a complete fortress for the LDs at a local level and they are even running 3 candidates in Almond ward.

Agreed on NE Fife

Caithness and Sutherland is probably the most unnatural looking LD seat, also considering it's relatively eurosceptic for Scotland.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

I would say Edinburgh West is a pretty stereotypical suburban LD seat - Corstorphine and Murrayfield certainly are posh (at least Corstorphine village etc) plus Barnton/Cramond even if the rest of the constituency is predominantly middle class rather than posh ie lots of new build housing in places like Ratho, Kirkliston and S Queensferry. It's turning into a complete fortress for the LDs at a local level and they are even running 3 candidates in Almond ward.

Agreed with HYUFD on NE Fife

Caithness and Sutherland is probably the most unnatural looking LD seat, also considering it's relatively eurosceptic for Scotland.
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I have memory fades and I'm much younger. My nearly 90 dad has lots. But I've known people who've genuinely lost it and it's different to that. They lose the power of reasoning and their grip on reality. I see none of that with Joe or even close to it.
    Neither of you is potus.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    I sure ain't posh but then I don't share your sort's obsession with class. I'd estimate you as C1>B, ie not a hope in hell of being considered posh. Unselfconscious use of the word posh is a bit of a tell fyi.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    Sitting in a mid-range restaurant in the med drinking Welsh mineral water out of a glass bottle, I am coming over all Greta. What are the economics of this?

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The name of the defense department. "That building over there" I think he called it.

Is that hard to understand?
  • Looks like it's International Mansplaining Day..

• rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Jet deal is go.

The Poles have F-35s on order but haven't received any yet, so probably don't have any or very many pilots trained up for them. What they want from the US to replace the MiGs is some second-hand F-16s which they already use and have pilots for. The F-35s are intended to replace both the MiGs and F-16s.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161

This morning I was hopeful that Ukraine might just do it. Now I'm in a worry phase. The other evening I had worry and despair simultaneously.

Such is the lot of supporting a rank underdog. They can't possibly win. They are fighting the whole of the Red Army. It's not possible. Is it?

So many of us are emotionally involved in willing on a 100/1 shot. We've probably never wanted a winner as much in our lives. On anything. Because they are fighting the nastiest c**t most of us have ever known. The ultimate cartoon villain. They HAVE to win. But surely, they CAN'T win? How?

But then, a tractor tows away a tank. A motorbike and side-car tows away a mortar, Ukrainian guys riding it grinning from ear to ear. You mad crazy bastards, you might just pull this off, even as your cities are turned to dust. But surely, you can't defeat the Red Army, an army led by a man lacking any basic level of human decency?

Emotionally, it shreds you. Made all the worse because here I am in my lovely house in Devon, pretty much unaffected by it. As people die. Delightful people who have done nothing to deserve this. People who are being asked to endure more hell and uncertainty - all because our Government can't pull its finger out and show off why we are the guys in the white hats, the good guys, the ones siding with moral authority.

Mordor has opened its gates and disgorged its foulness upon the land. And we are left hoping that, from somewhere, the eagles are going to appear and make it all better. We are hanging our emotions on a Hollywood ending. Powered by wishes, the bravery of a nation about to be crushed - and not much else.
    I think part of it is that what looked on paper like a 100/1 shot is more like a 10/1 shot because the Red Army has turned out to not have made any advancements since the fall of the USSR. It's the same kit and badly trained conscripts up against a NATO trained and armed force fighting for their freedom.

Such is the lot of supporting a rank underdog. They can't possibly win. They are fighting the whole of the Red Army. It's not possible. Is it?

So many of us are emotionally involved in willing on a 100/1 shot. We've probably never wanted a winner as much in our lives. On anything. Because they are fighting the nastiest c**t most of us have ever known. The ultimate cartoon villain. They HAVE to win. But surely, they CAN'T win? How?

But then, a tractor tows away a tank. A motorbike and side-car tows away a mortar, Ukrainian guys riding it grinning from ear to ear. You mad crazy bastards, you might just pull this off, even as your cities are turned to dust. But surely, you can't defeat the Red Army, an army led by a man lacking any basic level of human decency?

Emotionally, it shreds you. Made all the worse because here I am in my lovely house in Devon, pretty much unaffected by it. As people die. Delightful people who have done nothing to deserve this. People who are being asked to endure more hell and uncertainty - all because our Government can't pull its finger out and show off why we are the guys in the white hats, the good guys, the ones siding with moral authority.

Mordor has opened its gates and disgorged its foulness upon the land. And we are left hoping that, from somewhere, the eagles are going to appear and make it all better. We are hanging our emotions on a Hollywood ending. Powered by wishes, the bravery of a nation about to be crushed - and not much else.
    What is this Red Army of which you speak?
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Do we know the root cause of the internet issues today?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501271341529542666

Twitter, discord, spotify, and zoom have been spitting errors for me.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481

Looks like it's International Mansplaining Day..

Ouch!

Leon said:

Jesus F Christ

Desolating

IIRC these days Athos is swimming in Russian money, and full of religious nutter doubling as hyper-nationalists. Maybe your cup of chai, though lack of females could prove problematic?

Dingle Peninsula would be a better choice over all. Just don't let locals get wind of what you think of them.
    Ah, I love the Irish really. Half my oldest friends are Irish. Squatted with them in the 80s. Mad, brilliant times, and their rebellious Irish spirit taught me a lot. I admired it and schooled myself with it

They do like a scrap, tho. The fighting Irish indeed
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    Chameleon said:

Do we know the root cause of the internet issues today?

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501271341529542666

Twitter, discord, spotify, and zoom have been spitting errors for me.

Most likely a large scale Russian denial of service attack.

Sturgeon on top of the important stuff. Like apologising to witches..

She is trying to outgun Trudeau!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

The witch's dead black cat thrown on the independence table.....
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The name of the defense department. "That building over there" I think he called it.

A bit of forgetfulness and failure to bring names to mind at age of 79 does NOT mean you are fecking senile.

Yes, a second term is out, but for time being he is all we have got to stop the forces of Mordor as @MarqueeMark aptly described them earlier.

Gandalf was old.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Do the posh see themselves as posh? It's a label with negative connotations.

Looks like it's International Mansplaining Day

Every day is International Mansplaining Day.
    kle4 said:

Are you explaining it to me? :wink:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A bit of forgetfulness and failure to bring names to mind at age of 79 does NOT mean you are fecking senile.

Yes, a second term is out, but for time being he is all we have got to stop the forces of Mordor as @MarqueeMark aptly described them earlier.

Gandalf was old.
    And fictional

I don't want potus to be "a bit forgetful." Not in view of the near impossibility of easing him out when things deteriorate even further.

edited March 2022

Looks like it's International Mansplaining Day..

So I said to them its wrong to say only women can have cervixs....
    Actually it is wrong .... we did that rabbit hole before.

And double pendantry: it's and cervices.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Neither of you is potus.
    Of course. Big diff. I have no dispute with "Biden is too old for this and clearly struggles with it sometimes."
    edited March 2022

kle4 said:

Are you explaining it to me? :wink:
    As a man on behalf of women everywhere (Tm Colbert), yes.

She is trying to outgun Trudeau!
    I thought this was a spoof until I saw it was the BBC.

Still, you have to admire her ability to be on top of current events. I'm sure the witches of Prestwick will sleep easy in their graves tonight as europe descends into a barbaric war.

MaxPB said:

I think part of it is that what looked on paper like a 100/1 shot is more like a 10/1 shot because the Red Army has turned out to not have made any advancements since the fall of the USSR. It's the same kit and badly trained conscripts up against a NATO trained and armed force fighting for their freedom.
    Currently it looks about 50/50 to me, FWIW.
    The guy from RUSI on R4, who up until very recently had been pretty pessimistic, was of similar opinion.

What has been greatly underestimated is just how much better is the Ukrainian army than it was in 2014.
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Do the posh see themselves as posh? It's a label with negative connotations.
    There’s a brilliant exchange in one of James Lees-Milne’s fabulous diaries, where he asks his friend, a duke, ‘what it’s like being a duke’

The duke ponders and replies, ‘it’s like waking up every morning of your life and seeing you’ve got a Christmas present’
This discussion has been closed.