Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Eurovision punters are on a rollercoaster ride – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,520

@idreesali114
    March 5 (Reuters) - Russia's flagship carrier Aeroflot will stop all flights abroad with the exception of those to Belarus from March 8, the TASS news agency quoted the company as saying on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1500086815772102660

Belarus doesn't really count as "abroad" anymore.

One assumes that they're cutting down on flights so they can keep operating internal services for longer before they run out of spare parts for the aircraft? After that they'll be back to relying on trains to get around.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

There are several more reports of Russian planes being shot down. One of the pilots who was captured alive appears in photos with Putin and Assad.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500068210539966464

Or this 'copter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t75bm7/russian_heli_gets_bushwacked_by_ua_manpad_operator/

I find this very sad. The crew on the helicopter stood absolutely no chance. Yes, they shouldn't be there, but you probably just saw two or three people die.

Yet... yet I want their side to lose.
    Russian soldiers are also victims of the war. Doubly so as they are not even fighting for a just cause.

It is much easier to defend your country from vile invaders than it is to invade a country you have been taught to consider brothers. Russian morale must be rock-bottom. Many of them are only fighting because the alternative is imprisonment or worse.
    Rather than downplay casualties I'd think the Russians would need to emphasise them - revenge for one's comrades, that sort of thing. It makes more sense than 'Kill Ukraine to save it'.
    Nope. They are the great unspoken. Don't dwell on casualties. Bad for morale.
    Yes. I cannot think of a single example where a force in active combat has been informed of the true level of casualties. It usually leeks out slowly and against the efforts of senior officers and government.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,690

pigeon said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

Incredible footage from the only two cities of any size Russia have captured so far.

In Melitopol a large pro Ukraine protest advances towards soldiers firing over their head.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500026068782178304

In Kherson the main town square is filled to the brim by a pro-Ukraine protest, despite Russians firing warning shots.
    https://twitter.com/VALERIEinNYT/status/1500055776534179840

Brave folk. Controlling that won't be easy.
    And the combined population of those two cities is only about 1% of the population of Ukraine. Controlling that will be impossible.
    I imagine that the plan for the occupation is to terrorise the populace until they're all cowed into submission or have fled (indeed, Putin probably wants to depopulate Ukraine, reducing the remaining base of people available to man and support a resistance, and attempting to destabilise the rest of Europe by flooding it with penniless refugees.) The conscript element of the Russian army may be of limited value for this purpose but the Russian security forces also contain many tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of absolute shits.

Ukraine is enormous and it might not work, but Putin and his legions of properly evil monsters, from the Chechens downwards, will give it a good go. It'll be a proper, SS-level, unrestrained bloodbath.
    If Putin wants millions of refugees in Europe to create chaos then Europe/the world will create financial chaos in Russia. The idiot (or genius according to Trump) doesn't seem to understand this basic fact.
    Not sure he's even got that especially right.
    The majority of folk aren't instinctively opposed to refugees per se.
    Non-white ones more so.
    Ones where a tiny percentage might wish us harm even more so.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,566
    dixiedean said:

pigeon said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

Incredible footage from the only two cities of any size Russia have captured so far.

In Melitopol a large pro Ukraine protest advances towards soldiers firing over their head.

In Kherson the main town square is filled to the brim by a pro-Ukraine protest, despite Russians firing warning shots.

And the combined population of those two cities is only about 1% of the population of Ukraine. Controlling that will be impossible.
    I imagine that the plan for the occupation is to terrorise the populace until they're all cowed into submission or have fled (indeed, Putin probably wants to depopulate Ukraine, reducing the remaining base of people available to man and support a resistance, and attempting to destabilise the rest of Europe by flooding it with penniless refugees.) The conscript element of the Russian army may be of limited value for this purpose but the Russian security forces also contain many tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of absolute shits.

Ukraine is enormous and it might not work, but Putin and his legions of properly evil monsters, from the Chechens downwards, will give it a good go. It'll be a proper, SS-level, unrestrained bloodbath.
    If Putin wants millions of refugees in Europe to create chaos then Europe/the world will create financial chaos in Russia. The idiot (or genius according to Trump) doesn't seem to understand this basic fact.
    Non-white ones more so.
    I’m opposed to refugees who don’t long to return home.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    kle4 said:

Blimey, not even an invasion will put off some people, given reports of pro-Russian rallying in Serbia last night.

How soon till they are inside the EU?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,184
    Chameleon said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    Temperatures are to drop to -20 degrees in Ukraine.

Very cold temperatures will spread across western Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland.

The worst cold is forecast to overspread Ukraine and western Russia from the mid-next week into the weekend.

How will it impact the war?

Out of fuel, with dead batteries, it is going to be bloody cold in that long convoy.... Once frozen, that mud they are in will act like concrete.

Even the Ukrainian farmers are going to find it tough to move them.
    It is simple things like fresh water, food and shelter that the Russians are going to really struggle with. At -20 the steppe is harsh and unforgiving of even minor errors of judgment. Expect growing numbers of dead and hospitalisations due to exposure. Malnutrition, weakness and disease inevitably follow. We are about to witness how well planned this invasion is. The signs thus far are that the Russians have failed in areas like basic training.
    Considering Putin believes that Ukraine is part of Russia, you think he'd heed the widely repeated 'Never invade Russia during the winter' mantra. I pity the conscripts. No food for almost a week, no shelter to sleep under, no way to retreat, and rapidly diminishing fuel.
    And if the weather forecast is half correct for next week temperatures that will kill you to go alongside the lack of shelter, food and fuel...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Ukrainian president saying 16,000 foreigners have volunteered to come to Ukraine to fight.

That's more that I thought, but will take time for them to get there (if the number is accurate)

Will it make a difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzFtsLL_Uqk
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,189
    dixiedean said:

pigeon said:

Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

Non-white ones more so.
    I don't deny race is a factor. But it's also culture too. It's easy to forget some of the appalling things happening in France around the time of the Syrian crisis. But people are also much more skeptical of refugees travelling across half a continent and asking why they aren't seeking refuge once outside a warzone.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,504
    Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

I knew a guy called Ieuan whom people occasionally called Joan.

Not often though!

A friend registering their son’s birth in France was horrified to discover they had spelled “John” “Jean”…….
    One of our little 'un's middle name has a non-Latin character in it. A dotted capital I.

That amused the registrar, but she put it on the birth certificate. We sometimes wonder if it'll ever cause him any problems later in life when people search for a capital I, not realising about the dot ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I
    My real first name is very, very unusual. Rarely, indeed only once, interpreted as female, but frequently as a surname. I'm used to it, and there's usually a resigned smile and a chuckle, but I did get cross when someone in a hospital argued with me about it.
    I have never encountered anyone with the same first name as mine, spelt as it is, as it is usually a surname. I'd be a very rich woman indeed if I had received a £ for every time it or my equally unusual surname was mispronounced, garbled or misspelt.
    Enjoy the lakes -Re names my Uncles (from Walney) were called Hardie and Caton. -both great first names though both originally surnames.
    Surnames as first names is rampant in America: Carter, Taylor, Mason and so on.

My own name is unusual and generally mispronounced and misspelled, even on my passport.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Ukrainian president saying 16,000 foreigners have volunteered to come to Ukraine to fight.

That's more that I thought, but will take time for them to get there (if the number is accurate)

Someone last week posted a picture of Ukrainian special forces except the picture was captioned SOF which I took to mean soldiers of fortune.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

@idreesali114
    March 5 (Reuters) - Russia's flagship carrier Aeroflot will stop all flights abroad with the exception of those to Belarus from March 8, the TASS news agency quoted the company as saying on Saturday.

One assumes that they're cutting down on flights so they can keep operating internal services for longer before they run out of spare parts for the aircraft? After that they'll be back to relying on trains to get around.
    Yes, that seems right, but I think there may be other reasons as well,

1) To stop/reduce the risk of the planes being repossessed by the leasing companies that own them who are no longer being paid.

2) To stop/reduces the 'Brain Drain' of mostly young/fit educated/liberal/metropolitan. who are now looking to get out of Russia because lots of reasons related to war/conscription/sanctions and just embarrassment at Russia.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,346
    edited March 2022

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Very cold temperatures will spread across western Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Poland.

The worst cold is forecast to overspread Ukraine and western Russia from the mid-next week into the weekend.

Out of fuel, with dead batteries, it is going to be bloody cold in that long convoy.... Once frozen, that mud they are in will act like concrete.

It is simple things like fresh water, food and shelter that the Russians are going to really struggle with. At -20 the steppe is harsh and unforgiving of even minor errors of judgment. Expect growing numbers of dead and hospitalisations due to exposure. Malnutrition, weakness and disease inevitably follow. We are about to witness how well planned this invasion is. The signs thus far are that the Russians have failed in areas like basic training.
    Doesn't diesel freeze at -20?
    When I was knee high to a grasshopper, my dad had an urgent job on in which he needed a load of diggers/dumpers/kit. Sadly it had snowed heavily overnight, so we went out before dawn to dig them out (using diggers) and get them ready for the men. One wouldn't start, so he made me light a little fire under the sump to (I think) desludgify the sump oil and warm up the engine.

I've still no idea if that was real thing, whether he was joshing with me, or he wanted to keep me warm and beside a fire.... ;)
    Definitely a thing. I can remember lorry drivers lighting fires to defrost diesel one very cold winter in the 80s. It was shown on the TV news several times.

Edit: Just looked it up. 10 January 1982, -26.1C in Newport Shropshire, -27.2C in Braemar.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,520
    BigRich said:

pigeon said:

@idreesali114

1) To stop/reduce the risk of the planes being repossessed by the leasing companies that own them who are no longer being paid.

2) To stop/reduces the 'Brain Drain' of mostly young/fit educated/liberal/metropolitan. who are now looking to get out of Russia because lots of reasons related to war/conscription/sanctions and just embarrassment at Russia.
    (1) is a good point; (2) may be of limited effect so long as Russia doesn't impose exit visa requirements. A number of foreign carriers are still operating out of Russian airports, and the land borders are available. Tales in the media of packed flights headed to Istanbul, Yerevan and Tbilisi, and full trains and a steady stream of road traffic crossing into Finland.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

We have failed the people of Ukraine.

To those telling themselves, and each other, differently: Putin has won this. He has made the west cower from him militarily whilst he expands Greater Russia by crushing a civilised nation.

Margaret Thatcher would have stood up to him.

What did she do about Russia invading Afghanistan, and Vietnam invading Cambodia? Apart from arming the Taliban and Khymer Rouge? What did she do about the Soviets crushing the Solidarity movement in Poland?

Maggie lives on as the PB Tory fantasy, willing to do anything in their fevered dreams.
    Thatcher was emblematic of a more powerful and confident country.
    In much the same way Soviet Union was emblematic of a more powerful and confident country?

If anyone wants their country great again, you can’t. The worlds moved on. It’s too small now for that delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2022

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

When I was knee high to a grasshopper, my dad had an urgent job on in which he needed a load of diggers/dumpers/kit. Sadly it had snowed heavily overnight, so we went out before dawn to dig them out (using diggers) and get them ready for the men. One wouldn't start, so he made me light a little fire under the sump to (I think) desludgify the sump oil and warm up the engine.

I've still no idea if that was real thing, whether he was joshing with me, or he wanted to keep me warm and beside a fire.... ;)
    You get diesel 'waxing' in cold temperatures. Additives (and heaters) prevent this. As they are from a cold part of the world I would expect all the fuel to be winter fuel to prevent waxing. Like the Alaskan truckers, the correct Diesel can work well in cold temperatures.

I think UK winter Diesel additive is good to -20
  • Options
    pigeon said:

BigRich said:

pigeon said:

@idreesali114

(1) is a good point; (2) may be of limited effect so long as Russia doesn't impose exit visa requirements. A number of foreign carriers are still operating out of Russian airports, and the land borders are available. Tales in the media of packed flights headed to Istanbul, Yerevan and Tbilisi, and full trains and a steady stream of road traffic crossing into Finland.
    Putin May also see some benefit in delaying the return of any Russian who has been oversees for the last week, maybe on holiday, and whatchng western news, from coming back to Russia and telling friends/family what is really happening.
  • Options
    Completely offtopic but an interest item I never knew

https://twitter.com/SimonWDC/status/1500089251588935684

when Democrats are in power the economy booms, things get better. With GOP, not so much.

Since 1989 43m jobs have been created in US 41m - 95% - have come under D Presidents.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,000
    Afternoon all and on topic: Eurovision has a special place in my betting history. In 1996, I was just discovering spread betting and my debut trade was a buy of our entry that year, a number by Gina G called "Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit". I did it because I thought the song – and the performance of it by the charismatic Gina – was a knockout. Certainly a cut above standard Eurovision fare. And I was absolutely right about that. The song is now generally acknowledged by experts in the field as one of the best of its type.

But I was also dead wrong. It came nowhere (so I lost money) because with the Song Contest geopolitical factors dominate and we were on the short side of them back then. This changed the following year, of course, with the Blair landslide transforming everything and enabling us to not only challenge at Eurovision but win it with Katrina and the Waves, however this was no help in 1996. I made a bad bet, heart over head, no research, no due diligence, and it taught me a lesson that I have never forgotten and to this day informs how I approach my betting.

So to Q’s tips here. I usually agree with him but here I don’t. In the circumstances I think Ukraine are more likely to win than not. They should therefore be odds on and are value at 2/1. As for the UK, I’m not tempted to lay at 20/1. I get the logic – I see how it’s a professional sell – but I wouldn’t risk it myself. The rumour of ‘big name’ sounds credible to me. We’re sick of being humiliated in this and I sense there could be a mammoth effort this year to change the ballgame.

Eg the Gallagher brothers might fancy it. Imagine if that news breaks – Oasis to reform for Eurovision with a stonking new Noel penned anthem – and you’re sat there with a grand of exposure to a piddly £50. No thank you. Or, perhaps more likely in the light of *yesterday’s* Glasto news … yes yes, I know, but if it happens you don’t want to be short at 20s, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_KwCI4tUA :smile:
  • Options
    Putin’s taken Kyiv, capturing two million Ukrainians.

It’s okay, says Putin, this is a peace keeping operation, we came to free you. you can all live. I only want Zelenskyy.

I am Zelenskyy, someone calls.
    No I am Zelenskyy, someone else calls.
    I’m Zelenskyy. No. I’m Zelenskyy.
    I’m Zelenskyy. I’m Zelenskyy. I’m Zelenskyy I’m Zelenskyy I’m Zelenskyy….
  • Options

It’s okay, says Putin, this is a peace keeping operation, we came to free you. you can all live. I only want Zelenskyy.

That would look good in a film, somebody should make it!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,755

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Definitely a thing. I can remember lorry drivers lighting fires to defrost diesel one very cold winter in the 80s. It was shown on the TV news several times.

Edit: Just looked it up. 10 January 1982, -26.1C in Newport Shropshire, -27.2C in Braemar.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes
    I was in North Wales and remember that cold snap well. Somebody on the TV demonstrated that you could take a pan of boiling water, throw it in the air and it would come down as slivers of ice.

Rough camping in that don't exactly appeal.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,323
    edited March 2022
    Chameleon said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraines-special-forces-hold-off-russian-offensive-on-kyivs-front-lines-11646417190?st=qrzrh5leq99gqft&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Good article on the Ukrainian SOF, Extracts below:

"IRPIN, Ukraine—Every day for the past week, Russian forces have tried to fight their way through this suburb of Kyiv to reach the Ukrainian capital. And every day, Ukrainian troops have forced them to retreat, leaving burning tanks and armored personnel carriers behind.

“We go out to hunt and destroy them,” said Volodymyr, a Ukrainian special-forces team leader, as his squad, armed with a British .308 sniper rifle and British-made antitank weapons, waited for the latest Russian attack. “They certainly didn’t come here expecting that, expecting that we know how to fight.”

“We’re in shock at how dumb their behavior is,” said another member of the Ukrainian special-forces unit who has been going on missions in the area every night. His unit, he said, had lost two soldiers since the war began nine days ago, and killed more than 60 Russians in recent days. “Now, we mostly focus on hitting their rear, their supply convoys, because if they don’t get fuel, they can’t do anything.”

Morale among Ukrainian defenders was high in Irpin on Friday, even as a Russian attack airplane flew low over a housing block and sounds of artillery rounds landing got closer and closer. Big plumes of black smoke rose to the north and south of town, along other major routes where Russian forces have been trying for more than a week to break into Kyiv.

Cloud cover has hampered Russia’s use of combat helicopters, soldiers here said. But to be prepared in case enemy choppers or attack planes approached, one of the soldiers took a position with a portable antiaircraft missile on his shoulder. Troops here say they operate their own small drones, including some with thermal cameras, to hunt for Russian targets."

Seems like the Ukrainian special forces have been worth their weight in gold, and more.

Its like they have been well trained by somebody.....

I read an article couple of days ago which said it isn't just against the cannon folder they have been fighting extremely well against, they have kept Russian VDV at bay.
  • Options
    eek said:

when Democrats are in power the economy booms, things get better. With GOP, not so much.

Since 1989 43m jobs have been created in US 41m - 95% - have come under D Presidents.

But which way round are cause and effect?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    edited March 2022
    https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1500095341600849924

"So Putin is now on TV explaining his justifications for the invasion of Ukraine to a room full of Russian trainee air stewardesses...
    Bizarre…"

Big table still there, but no social distancing. Presumably quarantined them and this is meant to show that he's not scared to be around people?

image.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Afternoon all and on topic: Eurovision has a special place in my betting history. In 1996, I was just discovering spread betting and my debut trade was a buy of our entry that year, a number by Gina G called "Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit". I did it because I thought the song – and the performance of it by the charismatic Gina – was a knockout. Certainly a cut above standard Eurovision fare. And I was absolutely right about that. The song is now generally acknowledged by experts in the field as one of the best of its type.

But I was also dead wrong. It came nowhere (so I lost money) because with the Song Contest geopolitical factors dominate and we were on the short side of them back then. This changed the following year, of course, with the Blair landslide transforming everything and enabling us to not only challenge at Eurovision but win it with Katrina and the Waves, however this was no help in 1996. I made a bad bet, heart over head, no research, no due diligence, and it taught me a lesson that I have never forgotten and to this day informs how I approach my betting.

So to Q’s tips here. I usually agree with him but here I don’t. In the circumstances I think Ukraine are more likely to win than not. They should therefore be odds on and are value at 2/1. As for the UK, I’m not tempted to lay at 20/1. I get the logic – I see how it’s a professional sell – but I wouldn’t risk it myself. The rumour of ‘big name’ sounds credible to me. We’re sick of being humiliated in this and I sense there could be a mammoth effort this year to change the ballgame.

Eg the Gallagher brothers might fancy it. Imagine if that news breaks – Oasis to reform for Eurovision with a stonking new Noel penned anthem – and you’re sat there with a grand of exposure to a piddly £50. No thank you. Or, perhaps more likely in the light of *yesterday’s* Glasto news … yes yes, I know, but if it happens you don’t want to be short at 20s, do you?

Gina was drawn in slot 2, which is a notoriously bad slot in Eurovision.

And that kind of song isn’t very Eurovision.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

"So Putin is now on TV explaining his justifications for the invasion of Ukraine to a room full of Russian trainee air stewardesses...
    Bizarre…"

Big table still there, but no social distancing. Presumably quarantined them and this is meant to show that he's not scared to be around people?

image.

It would be quite funny if despite that he picked up the rona.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,149
    eek said:

Rather ignores the effect of lags etc but yes, its interesting. One of the many brilliant observations of the late PJ O'Rourke was that the Republican party is a party that doesn't belive that government works. And then they get elected and prove it.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Gina was drawn in slot 2, which is a notoriously bad slot in Eurovision.

And that kind of song isn’t very Eurovision.
    Disagree there. 'Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit' was the kind of song that should have stormed Eurovision. Unfortunately the entries have to be sung live and no one realized till the last minute that Gina, who had hitherto lip-synced all her performances, was completely tone deaf.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Bizarre…"

image.

"So....erm...can any of you fly plane?"
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Bizarre…"

image.

If he does and dies, can we do the wounds longest Conga dance?

There was mend to be a good pun in that, I could make it work but liked the idea so much I'm posting anyway.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Bizarre…"

image.

If he does and dies, can we do the wounds longest Conga dance?

There was mend to be a good pun in that, I could make it work but liked the idea so much I'm posting anyway.
    Maybe can I Putin a bid for the longest Conga dance?
  • Options
    Could this war be Russia's Suez - i.e force it to abandon its great power pretensions? Unlike the UK they have the resources to rebuild themselves but it might take a generation.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Looks like there is going to be another humanitarian crisis. Thousands of starving frost bitten Russian soldiers stuck in the convoy.
  • Options

Could this war be Russia's Suez - i.e force it to abandon its great power pretensions? Unlike the UK they have the resources to rebuild themselves but it might take a generation.

Would need China to put Russia in their place. Don’t count on it.
  • Options
    Lots of people out in the city centre this morning collecting for Ukraine. I gave to the Red Cross but I also frankly felt a bit ashamed I am not doing more.

These people are heroic, fighting against terrible odds with passion and remarkable self belief. God save them because the west hasn't.
  • Options
    Of the abstainers at the UN do we know how many Macron has managed to turn in recent days? Surely a worsening conflict and indiscriminate targeting of civilians ought to be focusing minds.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,705
    kinabalu said:

If I was a British big name I'd be thinking of backing out to try next year instead. There's now no upside. There are three possible outcomes: (1) you win, by being the party-pooper who denied Ukraine, (2) you're steamrollered by the Ukraine sympathy vote, (3) you don't even do that well.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,965

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not often though!

A friend registering their son’s birth in France was horrified to discover they had spelled “John” “Jean”…….
    One of our little 'un's middle name has a non-Latin character in it. A dotted capital I.

That amused the registrar, but she put it on the birth certificate. We sometimes wonder if it'll ever cause him any problems later in life when people search for a capital I, not realising about the dot ...

My real first name is very, very unusual. Rarely, indeed only once, interpreted as female, but frequently as a surname. I'm used to it, and there's usually a resigned smile and a chuckle, but I did get cross when someone in a hospital argued with me about it.
    I have never encountered anyone with the same first name as mine, spelt as it is, as it is usually a surname. I'd be a very rich woman indeed if I had received a £ for every time it or my equally unusual surname was mispronounced, garbled or misspelt.
    Enjoy the lakes -Re names my Uncles (from Walney) were called Hardie and Caton. -both great first names though both originally surnames.

My own name is unusual and generally mispronounced and misspelled, even on my passport.
    It used to be quite common in Yorkshire. My junior school headmaster was called Beaumont and my great grandfather was Fenton.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,792
    Chameleon said:

Bizarre…"

image.

It does seem oddly out of keeping with his recent appearances, and Zelensky did make a mocking reference about meeting him but not as far apart as Macron. I'd believe that was the intent.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Chameleon said:

Bizarre…"

image.

Hello Trainee Stewardesses

You are the backbone of the future of our Russian Empire, spreading the glories of our country to the world.

You are all now redundant as all overseas flights are cancelled

If you tell anyone you are in prison for 15 years

Continue to serve our perfect motherland so well
    Also, have more babies, as we've got demographic problems.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,768

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

I'm sure I read that there was a lot of
    that sort of thing required on the Eastern Front in WWII.
    Lots of stories about that...

• Options
    Interesting post on the BBC

"To get around the BBC ban in Russia:

download the Psiphon app from the AppStore or Google Play Store
    look for the dedicated BBC site on the Tor Browser which can be found using this URL. Note that this URL only works using the Tor Browser or the Onion Browser (on iPhones)
    if access to the apps is restricted then send a blank email to get@psiphon3.com or gettor@torproject.org. An email will be sent in response with a direct and safe download link
    The BBC has also launched two new shortwave frequencies broadcasting World Service English news for four hours a day to Ukraine and parts of Russia:

15735 kHz from 14:00 GMT to 16:00 GMT
    5875 kHz from 20:00 GMT to 22:00 GMT"
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    BigRich said:

Theres supposedly 66k + Ukrainian men who have returned, that will make a difference.

I think the foreign fighters coming to Ukraine is more of a propoganda thing. I've got serious doubts about the practicalities of this. For instance, there is a video on Sky news of a 60 year old guy turning up at the Ukrainian embassy in London who appears to be expecting a bus to be laid on. He was complaining that they didn't answer their phone after office hours.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

With Putin as Eden? Vilified for decades to come.
  • Options

darkage said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

We have failed the people of Ukraine.

To those telling themselves, and each other, differently: Putin has won this. He has made the west cower from him militarily whilst he expands Greater Russia by crushing a civilised nation.

Margaret Thatcher would have stood up to him.

What did she do about Russia invading Afghanistan, and Vietnam invading Cambodia? Apart from arming the Taliban and Khymer Rouge? What did she do about the Soviets crushing the Solidarity movement in Poland?

Maggie lives on as the PB Tory fantasy, willing to do anything in their fevered dreams.
    Thatcher was emblematic of a more powerful and confident country.
    In much the same way Soviet Union was emblematic of a more powerful and confident country?

If anyone wants their country great again, you can’t. The worlds moved on. It’s too small now for that delusions of grandeur.
    The problem is, I think, the gap between their pretensions and the reality.

I think that Putin's desperation is that he now lives in a world were, thanks to NATO, Estonia is a *greater* country than Russia. If Russia goes to war with Estonia - it might well lose......

It certainly doesn't live in abject fear of Russia, the way it should, in Greater Russian Nationalist world...
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    darkage said:

BigRich said:

Theres supposedly 66k + Ukrainian men who have returned, that will make a difference.

I think the foreign fighters coming to Ukraine is more of a propoganda thing. I've got serious doubts about the practicalities of this. For instance, there is a video on Sky news of a 60 year old guy turning up at the Ukrainian embassy in London who appears to be expecting a bus to be laid on. He was complaining that they didn't answer their phone after office hours.
    Also the last thing you want in a war is having some CoD player wannabe who doesn't even speak the language, screaming SPEAK ENGGGGGGLISH.....ENGGGGLISH....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,550
    Looks like Ruskies are calling up white van man:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    47s
    Russian military equipment in Rostov, near the Ukrainian border.

Looks like the Russian Army is scraping the barrel.

They must have miscalculated the Ukrainian resistance by an order of magnitude or two.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500104612208123906
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,295
    Latest view from the Ukrainian side of Russian losses:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Putin must be wondering where all the squillions he has pumped into the military have gone.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

The end of that, not so good. The Romans adopted the simple fix for that problem.
  • Options
    This flashed up on my work alerts.

Cogent Communications will pull the plug on its connectivity to customers in Russia in response to President Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

The US-based biz is one of the planet's largest internet backbones – the freeways of the internet – and says it carries roughly a quarter of global 'net traffic.

Its clients range from small businesses to mobile carriers and broadband ISPs. Cogent's role is to pipe hundreds of terabits of your internet data around the world every second. Russian state-owned Rostelecom is among the dozens of customers Cogent has in the country.

On Friday, CEO David Schaeffer told Reuters his corporation will gradually withdraw internet service from those clients. Some customers asked to be excluded from the crackdown, and may be granted continued access.

This termination of service will force those axed clients to seek other sources of network capacity. As a knock-on effect, Russian netizens could experience slower or interrupted internet connections as their ISPs and carriers react to the news. If more backbones follow in Cogent's steps, Russia will be increasingly cut off from the global internet.

Which would make President Putin's attempt to censor the web a lot easier.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/04/cogent_cuts_off_russia/
  • Options

Putin must be wondering where all the squillions he has pumped into the military have gone.

If you set an example of stealing from your government don't be surprised if others follow.
  • Options

Looks like Ruskies are calling up white van man:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    47s
    Russian military equipment in Rostov, near the Ukrainian border.

Looks like the Russian Army is scraping the barrel.

They must have miscalculated the Ukrainian resistance by an order of magnitude or two.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500104612208123906

Each with a Chelsea sun visor.....
  • Options

Cogent Communications will pull the plug on its connectivity to customers in Russia in response to President Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

The US-based biz is one of the planet's largest internet backbones – the freeways of the internet – and says it carries roughly a quarter of global 'net traffic.

Its clients range from small businesses to mobile carriers and broadband ISPs. Cogent's role is to pipe hundreds of terabits of your internet data around the world every second. Russian state-owned Rostelecom is among the dozens of customers Cogent has in the country.

On Friday, CEO David Schaeffer told Reuters his corporation will gradually withdraw internet service from those clients. Some customers asked to be excluded from the crackdown, and may be granted continued access.

This termination of service will force those axed clients to seek other sources of network capacity. As a knock-on effect, Russian netizens could experience slower or interrupted internet connections as their ISPs and carriers react to the news. If more backbones follow in Cogent's steps, Russia will be increasingly cut off from the global internet.

Putin was winning the war, until his people could not download porn....
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423
    Seems a long time ago since posters on here were suggesting that the UFOs that could evade US surveillance systems were secret Russian technology.
  • Options

It’s one thing to spend money on the military for defence. It takes a lot more money to win a war away from home.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,140
    edited March 2022
    Mastercard down in the UK.

Ongoing issue.

Another fecking regulatory report I’m going to have to write.

I bet Putin is behind it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

BigRich said:

The end of that, not so good. The Romans adopted the simple fix for that problem.
    'cept the Russians would run out of wood supplies after they'd nailed half a dozen up.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,330

Seems a long time ago since posters on here were suggesting that the UFOs that could evade US surveillance systems were secret Russian technology.

More likely secret technology from another arm of the US government.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

The Corridor Crew (who are VFX artists) debunked basically all those videos. Not as VFX or fakery, but fairly simple tricks of the eye / camera. Sorry Leon.
  • Options

For some reason Chrome thought I’d be interested in this article.

Ukrainian and Russian Pornhub Performers Protest the War

Ukrainians are posting videos of the Russian invasion to Pornhub, while Russians are using one of the last online spaces they have to speak against the war.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7nkzb/ukrainian-and-russian-pornhub-performers-protest-the-war
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    slade said:

Icarus said:

Cyclefree said:

Not often though!

It used to be quite common in Yorkshire. My junior school headmaster was called Beaumont and my great grandfather was Fenton.
    My father had three family surnames to add to his own - I was lucky to get just one of them plus my actual surname. Beena talking point my entire life.
  • Options

Yep - Russia will eventual end up with an separate self contained internet with very limited access to data from the rest of the world
  • Options
    So, when the Russian Stock Exchange opens, shall we have a whip round and buy Gazprom? We'd get complimentary tickets to various footy finals....
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Wondering at it from his enormous luxurious dacha, no doubt. A true mystery.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Wasn't it reported that his billion dollar palace is unhabitable due to loads of piss poor engineering....bit like the military equipment.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

So, when the Russian Stock Exchange opens, shall we have a whip round and buy Gazprom? We'd get complimentary tickets to various footy finals....

Put me down for a fiver as long as we can rename it "Vladimir the eunached"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not just his dacha - this is a great read on Russia's economy and gets seriously bad for Russia once you see what China wants and operates.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499855858456567809

Turns out when you don't bribe people directly (because you can't) they find a way to get the money another way (at vastly greater cost).

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,619

Well given that he and his mates probably stole a large chunk of it he should already know.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,295
    eek said:

Yep - Russia will eventual end up with an separate self contained internet with very limited access to data from the rest of the world
    A couple of days ago, the editor of RT said that allowing foreign news channels was like allowing a foriegn army onto their soil to fire at them. Quite a revealing comment about how she saw the role of RT.
  • Options

BigRich said:

'cept the Russians would run out of wood supplies after they'd nailed half a dozen up.....
    The Romans must have had some pretty awesome logistics, for their time. The Roman army seems to have been a band of very aggressive builders, much of the time...
  • Options

Mastercard down in the UK.

Ongoing issue.

Another fecking regulatory report I’m going to have to write.

I bet Putin is behind it.

Nah, the revenge of the Pineapple.
  • Options

Ukrainians are posting videos of the Russian invasion to Pornhub, while Russians are using one of the last online spaces they have to speak against the war.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7nkzb/ukrainian-and-russian-pornhub-performers-protest-the-war
    Yet another example of how the Ukrainians have been brilliantly enterprising.

Watch, as a stepmom steals a tank.....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,140
    edited March 2022
    So how do we solve the issue of the Kaliningrad Oblast?

Invade? Blockade it? Or something else?

What is sauce for the Ukrainian goose is also sauce for the Kaliningrad gander, am I right?
  • Options
    OT but while we are wondering about Putin's health...

Ten months after attempts first began to extract the medical information of 55 million citizens in England, NHS Digital's former chairman is warning the merger of the agency with NHS England threatens the privacy of people's personal data.
    https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/04/nhs_digital_privacy_bmj_article/
  • Options

BigRich said:

The Romans must have had some pretty awesome logistics, for their time. The Roman army seems to have been a band of very aggressive builders, much of the time...
    I've always been impressed with the Normans. They brought flat-pack castles with them, to hold the territory they gained.
  • Options

What is sauce for the Ukrainian goose is also sauce for the Kaliningrad gander, am I right?

Among other things, Kaliningrad is believed to have a number of tactical nuclear weapons.....
  • Options

Among other things, Kaliningrad is believed to have a number of tactical nuclear weapons.....
    Cheers. Invasion it is to keep Europe secure.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,938
    Chameleon said:

Fuck me

Slava Ukraini!

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,336
    Quincel said:

biggles said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

As someone else posted a few days ago, it would be bitterly ironic if the Russians were stopped by winter.
    Maybe Ukraine is part of Russia...

...and Putin is making the classic blunder of making a land invasion into Russia.

(Stolen from Twitter)
    Really not far from the truth.
  • Options
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnTerry26/status/1500049399057203201

@JohnTerry26Replying to @bodigwe72, @ChelseaFC and @RomanAbramovish100% mate 💙
    The same MP that claimed fortunes in expenses of the tax payers money. Also the same MP who voted that we invade Iraq. 🤡
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,855

BigRich said:

I don't know if I got the link from PB, but here's a route planner for ye olde Roman days.

https://orbis.stanford.edu/

It's interesting to see how much they favoured sea routes; London to Rome fastest by sea, with only a short land journey across southern France, taking a month.

For all we talk about Roman roads, the sea must have been very useful to them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Fuck me
    Kind offer, but I'll have to refuse. You're just not my type. It's not you, honestly.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,408

BigRich said:

I've always been impressed with the Normans. They brought flat-pack castles with them, to hold the territory they gained.
    It would make a great name for a tradesman. Imagine painting that on the side of your van. "Norman Castle, Painter and Decorator..."
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Not just his dacha - this is a great read on Russia's economy and gets seriously bad for Russia once you see what China wants and operates.

Turns out when you don't bribe people directly (because you can't) they find a way to get the money another way (at vastly greater cost).

It is a useful lesson - when you see an operation that loses money, year after year, but carries on. Why?

Always check out the contractors that company is using, who controls them and do they control the "main" company?

There is a certain British entrepreneur who has had considerable success with this plan - the on shore company carries his brand, but the real money is made by the suppliers to the company. Who are largely off-shore, for tax...
  • Options

I'm wondering if the majority of Porn Websites could make themselves unavailable in Russia with out a VPN, could that prompt a lot of Russian users to get a VPN. getting a VPN allows them to appear to be outside Russia, and there for access video of there Step-Mums doing there thing, but would also allow them to look at BBC PB and other sites outside Russia?

I think this may be a better tactic that, simply cutting off Russia from the internet, at this time.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,171
    Mr. Jessop, turning the Mediterranean into a pond was very useful for Rome.

When the West fell, economic dislocation between the various bits saw substantial retardation in economic power and living standards (Great Britain being most affected).
  • Options
    New PB style guide ruling.

Kaliningrad is now to be called/referred to as Königsberg.

That will drive Putin up the wall.
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

It is a useful lesson - when you see an operation that loses money, year after year, but carries on. Why?

Always check out the contractors that company is using, who controls them and do they control the "main" company?

There is a certain British entrepreneur who has had considerable success with this plan - the on shore company carries his brand, but the real money is made by the suppliers to the company. Who are largely off-shore, for tax...
    That's virgin on the ridiculous.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Evelyn is a name used for both men and women. One is pronounced Evelyn and the other is pronounced Evelyn.

On a safari in Zambia in a very remote camp in South Luangwa I encountered the local leopard quite a lot. He kind of sauntered around the bush, uncaring of humans, taking down the odd deer, and looking like he might, at any moment, stop at a cafe to read The Spectator and drink a glass of Pouilly Fusse over ice

We christened him Evelyn and it was the perfect name. All leopards are Evelyns. Simultaneously epicene and suave
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,060

The Old Prussians called it by the charming name of “ Twangste”
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,705
    Looks like the Ukrainian camouflage gear is effective... (click-through for an amusing video)

"As ukranian soldier,We respect NATURE
    #Ukraine #UkraineUnderAttaсk #UkraineConflict #UkraineRussiaWar"

https://mobile.twitter.com/denttooth/status/1500005331392421892
  • Options

And sully my precious use of English with an umlaut? Never!
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

The quote "There are ofc purely Russian projects with no Western investors/contractors. They just don't work and remain on paper" makes me wonder about their military high-tech projects. That tweet says it is the case for oil and gas. We know it is the case for space and rockets. It seems possible that military equipment suffers from the same malaise.

Have a lot of the very good, cutting-edge pieces of military kit they have be very few in number, and high on the bathtub curve?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

There are several more reports of Russian planes being shot down. One of the pilots who was captured alive appears in photos with Putin and Assad.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1500068210539966464

Or this 'copter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t75bm7/russian_heli_gets_bushwacked_by_ua_manpad_operator/

I find this very sad. The crew on the helicopter stood absolutely no chance. Yes, they shouldn't be there, but you probably just saw two or three people die.

Yet... yet I want their side to lose.
    Russian soldiers are also victims of the war. Doubly so as they are not even fighting for a just cause.

Indeed. This monumental blunder by Putin is horrible for the average Russian, and will be fatal for many

My fear is that the humiliation of Russia, which is becoming profound and intense, will be of such magnitude Putin will launch nukes just because. Anything but this excruciating disgrace
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And sully my precious use of English with an umlaut? Never!
    How dare you insult Jürgen Klopp.
  • Options

BigRich said:

I don't know if I got the link from PB, but here's a route planner for ye olde Roman days.

https://orbis.stanford.edu/

It's interesting to see how much they favoured sea routes; London to Rome fastest by sea, with only a short land journey across southern France, taking a month.

For all we talk about Roman roads, the sea must have been very useful to them.
    There's a reason that major cities were nearly all ports...

People are *still* startled by how little it costs to send things by sea.
This discussion has been closed.