Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Eurovision punters are on a rollercoaster ride – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,841
edited March 2022 in General
imageEurovision punters are on a rollercoaster ride – politicalbetting.com

Ever since the Russian invasion I’ve been asked several time by friends and family if there is betting on the outcome. Quite rightly: There is not. However, while I appreciate some people might find even this column too close to the line, I want to discuss Eurovision 2022.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nul points
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,319
    edited March 2022
    Bin ich zuerst?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    geoffw said:

Bin ich zuerst?

Nine
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,755
    Hopefully we'll get some points from the Ukrainian jury.... but not enough to mean were aren't a lay.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,811

dixiedean said:

I'm tempted to cancel my subscription to The Times after seeing this.

Because I must have missed Boris Johnson invading another country and shelling civilians.

Hang on. We ARE fed propaganda. About things that utterly pale into comparison, but propaganda nonetheless.

That isn't new. Political spin and newspaper lies have been part of our landscape since the dawn of print.
    All is phoney.
    A good starting attitude to approach any opinion tbh.
    Yep, an attitude to be applied to what one agrees with as well as to the stuff one thinks is risible crap. Can get a bit tiring though.
    But the truth will out!

https://twitter.com/lewis_baston/status/1499708225951784962?s=21
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,792
    I'm going to guess, given they present pausing their vicious assaults as a grand indication of their humanitarian morality, that Russia will not listen to this particular demand

From BBC

Russia must not take advantage of an agreed humanitarian corridor to advance its troops, Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk has warned.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm tempted to cancel my subscription to The Times after seeing this.

Because I must have missed Boris Johnson invading another country and shelling civilians.

Hang on. We ARE fed propaganda. About things that utterly pale into comparison, but propaganda nonetheless.

That isn't new. Political spin and newspaper lies have been part of our landscape since the dawn of print.
    All is phoney.
    A good starting attitude to approach any opinion tbh.
    Yep, an attitude to be applied to what one agrees with as well as to the stuff one thinks is risible crap. Can get a bit tiring though.
    But the truth will out!

https://twitter.com/lewis_baston/status/1499708225951784962?s=21
    Well, some people are being a bit ridiculous, but somehoe I doubt that's really the part upsetting him.
  • Options
    I adore Eurovision. But lets not pretend that the results are fair and unbiased. Why anyone would bet on it is beyond me.
  • Options
    Any hint on the big name? If it’s Gary Barlow, that constitutes an act of war.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,690
    edited March 2022
    How can there be a market on a contest when you don't even know who'll be performing?
    That's like betting on Brazil for the World Cup when it may be their full side.
    Or possibly the Third XI from a plastics factory in Recife.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 672
    Was the Russian entry a rehash of Lulu's "Boom Bang-A-Bang" ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,504

I adore Eurovision. But lets not pretend that the results are fair and unbiased. Why anyone would bet on it is beyond me.

People bet on Eurovision because results are, to an extent, predictable. What you call bias might help in that regard.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,776
    Leon wrote about hypocrisy yesterday and we had a brief dialogue in which I suggested the scope was widened.

Putin's disgraceful invasion has unfortunately also shone the spotlight on the west. Why, for instance, are we so sure that Putin is a war criminal whilst Tony Blair isn't? But leaving aside that favourite trope of the Left, this article in the Telegraph makes for some very sobering reading. I suggest we all read it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/terror-and-security/history-politics-mercenaries-many-african-nations-quietly-standing/

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,171
    edited March 2022
    F1: terrible news: Mazepin's gone.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-haas-to-part-ways-with-nikita-mazepin-with-immediate-effect.nmmqyclyJjFNkPJjQyiyF.html

Edited extra bit: also, his billionaire dad's firm isn't the main sponsor, which does raise a serious financial question mark, one would've thought. The whole reason Haas had the spinning oaf as a driver was for the cash.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,592
    The virtue signalling will be off the wall at Eurovision this year. Its intolerable in a normal year. The odds look about right for Ukraine I suppose- a lot could still happen. Frankly if the world makes it to Eurovision without a nuclear exchange then I would be grateful. Never thought I would say this but i would love Eurovision to be held this year !
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,231

Hopefully we'll get some points from the Ukrainian jury.... but not enough to mean were aren't a lay.

I don't know, after the victorious British led liberation of Eastern Europe it will be douze points all round, particularly If Bozza were to sing the song too.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,592
    edited March 2022

I don't know, after the victorious British led liberation of Eastern Europe it will be douze points all round, particularly If Bozza were to sing the song too.
    Gavin Williamson (Sir sorry) could come in on a monocycle like that Moldovan entry did once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAY_OVN_gY
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,801
    Great betting article Pip. Thanks. As I posted on PB last week, I had £600 on Ukraine to win Eurovision at 4.8 and cashed out a few days later at 3.55. So £200 profit. I think they will win if they turn up. But will they be able to do so? That's the main risk of the bet, I think.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    JACK_W said:

Belarus have "Puppet on a String"....

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it by nanoseconds.....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,125
    JACK_W said:

Crimea Wurst.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,125
    Waterloo
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,401

People bet on Eurovision because results are, to an extent, predictable. What you call bias might help in that regard.
    My problem with betting on it is I have much more fun taking it as a big, surreal piece of art, not a serious endeavour.
  • Options

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-haas-to-part-ways-with-nikita-mazepin-with-immediate-effect.nmmqyclyJjFNkPJjQyiyF.html

Edited extra bit: also, his billionaire dad's firm isn't the main sponsor, which does raise a serious financial question mark, one would've thought. The whole reason Haas had the spinning oaf as a driver was for the cash.

If Haas had any sense they’d choose Luca Badoer to replace Mazepin.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,418
    Heathener said:

Leon wrote about hypocrisy yesterday and we had a brief dialogue in which I suggested the scope was widened.

Putin's disgraceful invasion has unfortunately also shone the spotlight on the west. Why, for instance, are we so sure that Putin is a war criminal whilst Tony Blair isn't? But leaving aside that favourite trope of the Left, this article in the Telegraph makes for some very sobering reading. I suggest we all read it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/terror-and-security/history-politics-mercenaries-many-african-nations-quietly-standing/

It's not just an influence thing, surely? We were discussing on the last thread why lots of people actually living in Russia aren't getting engaged in the debate. How reasonable is it really to expect people in the Central African Republic to be taking a keen interest? How zealously did the average Brit follow the atrocities in the Congo?

An African country weighing in might have future opportunity costs as the country looks for competing offers of aid-for-influence, and I imagine the pressure on the leadership from the general population to take a stand is precisely zero.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,035
    edited March 2022
    One of my least popular opinions with friends and family is that while a lot of Eurovision songs are weak, the winners and a handful of others each year tend to be genuinely good and often a legitimate banger.

Arcade. Fuego. Even Toy. I'm not saying any of them will go down in history, but they were all songs which if you heard they had charted at the top one week you wouldn't be shocked.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,474
    edited March 2022

Gavin Williamson (Sir sorry) could come in on a monocycle like that Moldovan entry did once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAY_OVN_gY
    No Eurovision entry will ever match the class of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

But one where Gavin Williamson had a monocycle crash on screen would come quite close for LOLs.
  • Options

Heathener said:

It's not just an influence thing, surely? We were discussing on the last thread why lots of people actually living in Russia aren't getting engaged in the debate. How reasonable is it really to expect people in the Central African Republic to be taking a keen interest? How zealously did the average Brit follow the atrocities in the Congo?

An African country weighing in might have future opportunity costs as the country looks for competing offers of aid-for-influence, and I imagine the pressure on the leadership from the general population to take a stand is precisely zero.

On the other hand, India has abstained in every UN vote since the invasion started - even though Indians constitute the single biggest group of foreign students in Ukraine.
  • Options
    Power to all our (Ukrainian) friends.
  • Options
    An ode to Russian logistics - "Beg, Steal or Borrow"
  • Options
    By chance, just happened to be listening to Knights of Cydonia. Seemed somehow appropriate:

Come ride with me
    Through the veins of history,
    I'll show you how God
    Falls asleep on the job

And how can we win,
    When fools can be kings?
    Don't waste your time
    Or time will, waste, you...

No one's gonna take me alive
    Time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

They don't make them like that anymore though.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,149
    Its so long since I watched Eurovision that I wasn't even aware that they now have a 2 jury system. When did that start?
  • Options

An ode to Russian logistics - "Beg, Steal or Borrow"

By the New Heat Seekers?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,630

My problem with betting on it is I have much more fun taking it as a big, surreal piece of art, not a serious endeavour.
    That is also the approach our PM takes to his job so perhaps bets involving him should be off limits too.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 672
    Ukraine Cities

Our House (Is Gone) - Madness
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Its so long since I watched Eurovision that I wasn't even aware that they now have a 2 jury system. When did that start?

About 5-10 years I think. Let me just look it up.

[Musical interlude]

It was 2016.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,776

Heathener said:

On the other hand, India has abstained in every UN vote since the invasion started - even though Indians constitute the single biggest group of foreign students in Ukraine.
    Indeed. Huge trade and arms links between India and Russia.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,630
    Quincel said:

Incidentally, it really is striking how much we shit on (to be impolite but blunt) our Eurovision entrants compared to other countries. Maneskin, who won for Italy last year, had a chart-topping album in Italy before they were chosen and they went for the chance because it is a big break in Italy not a way to end your career. I was in Amsterdam in summer 2019 and a department store (I think it was Primark of all places) was playing Arcade by Duncan Lawrence over the sound system - which made sense since it had charted at #1 in The Netherlands even pre-Eurovision.

We send James Newman, a songwriter more than a singer with a career high single of 23rd in the UK charts to sing a song he frankly sounded off-key in every performance. And then we complain about Eurovision bias for our poor results. We are at least as much to blame for sending crap!

If it really is a big name I wonder if Ed Sheeran might fancy a crack at it. Can't think of any other genuine top level performers who would get involved.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,195
    DavidL said:

It's been a few years back. The juries have half the votes, the popular vote the other half. There are sometimes great discrepancies. Gender-bending is popular with the juries, while the popular votes are a bit more Robin Askwith. The Polish milkmaids demonstrated this well.

https://youtu.be/VJ920cN2HmA

Eurovision is harmless fun. The voting is nonsense, so just revel in the compression and eccentricity. Our problem is trying too hard, and taking it too seriously, and Iraq and Brexit of course.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

DavidL said:

About 5-10 years I think. Let me just look it up.

[Musical interlude]

It was 2016.
    So many bad things happened in 2016 but this was the apotheosis of evil in 2016.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,355

Heathener said:

My wife's cousin's son studied medicine in Ukraine. Much of the course was taught in Russian, so the first thing that the students had to do was learn the language.

Meanwhile, India is abstaining coz their PM is an arsehole.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

Savanta ComRes have finally published their detailed tables (how they are not kicked out of the BPC for persistent breach of the rules escapes me).

It transpires that it was a fantastic poll for Labour, especially Scottish Labour.

England:

Lab 45%
    Con 38%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 3%

Scotland:

SNP 44%
    Lab 28%
    Con 17%
    LD 10%
    Grn 2%
    Ref -

Wales:

Lab 42%
    Con 23%
    PC 16%
    LD 10%
    Ref 5%
    Grn 3%

(Savanta ComRes; 25-29 February; 2,208)

But, rather oddly, if you pump those Scottish numbers into Baxter, it is not Scottish Labour who are the big winners, but rather the Tories and Lib Dems who lose big time:

SNP 56 seats (+8)
    Lab 1 seat (nc)
    Con 0 seats (-6)
    LD 0 seats (-2)

(New boundaries: only 57 seats.)

Ummm:

The SNP got 45.0% in 2019 and the LDs 9.5%.

The boundaries of Orkney & Shetland have not changed and the LDs were 12 points ahead of the SNP there.

So... it's a tiny swing to the LDs from the SNP. So why would the LDs be on zero seats on that poll? They should still hold O&S.
    Absolutely! That was exactly my first thought when I saw Baxter’s LD zero seats prediction. On the face of it it seems totally bonkers. Orkney and Shetland is one of just 3 (?) Scottish seats to have identical boundaries under the new review. So a small SNP to LD swing ought to make it an easy Hold surely?

I long ago gave up trying to understand Martin Baxter’s methodology. All I know is that the man is a wizard and a living legend. Doubt his maths at your peril.
  • Options
    On the musical theme, I have been inspired to create a playlist for times of nuclear angst. Mostly eighties as that is my era, but a few others. Further suggestions welcome.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4LybGX1d2YvaFIHB3VAxXx?si=3zEEOkoBRZC1-V1N1LArHA&utm_source=copy-link
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,359
    Wait, a woman named Lionel? Brings to mind a boy named Sue.
  • Options
    Thanks for another excellent piece, Quincel.

It's an event I hate and I don't recall ever betting on it, but don't you just lay the favorites?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Quincel said:

Incidentally, it really is striking how much we shit on (to be impolite but blunt) our Eurovision entrants compared to other countries. Maneskin, who won for Italy last year, had a chart-topping album in Italy before they were chosen and they went for the chance because it is a big break in Italy not a way to end your career. I was in Amsterdam in summer 2019 and a department store (I think it was Primark of all places) was playing Arcade by Duncan Lawrence over the sound system - which made sense since it had charted at #1 in The Netherlands even pre-Eurovision.

We send James Newman, a songwriter more than a singer with a career high single of 23rd in the UK charts to sing a song he frankly sounded off-key in every performance. And then we complain about Eurovision bias for our poor results. We are at least as much to blame for sending crap!

If it really is a big name I wonder if Ed Sheeran might fancy a crack at it. Can't think of any other genuine top level performers who would get involved.
    They would have to have the lack of ego or confidence that would be prepared to do mediocrely (or even badly); Sheeran is so successful he may not give a feck, but I think that would rule out a bloke who thinks plastering his name over a bottle of £5.99 wine is a selling point.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On the musical theme, I have been inspired to create a playlist for times of nuclear angst. Mostly eighties as that is my era, but a few others. Further suggestions welcome.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4LybGX1d2YvaFIHB3VAxXx?si=3zEEOkoBRZC1-V1N1LArHA&utm_source=copy-link

Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!
  • Options

It's an event I hate and I don't recall ever betting on it, but don't you just lay the favorites?

Never move to Sweden Peter. It’s the Number One tv event of the year. Almost shibboleth status. I’ve got my glitterpants and lördagsmys ready to go. Hope Vladimir is understanding and puts off his invasion until after Torino.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,403

Quincel said:

They would have to have the lack of ego or confidence that would be prepared to do mediocrely (or even badly); Sheeran is so successful he may not give a feck, but I think that would rule out a bloke who thinks plastering his name over a bottle of £5.99 wine is a selling point.
    Sheeran is sponsoring Ipswich Town this season, he must be used to dismal failures
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,359

Heathener said:

My wife's cousin's son studied medicine in Ukraine. Much of the course was taught in Russian, so the first thing that the students had to do was learn the language.

Will our pro-Modi/BJP commentators condemn?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

One of my least popular opinions with friends and family is that while a lot of Eurovision songs are weak, the winners and a handful of others each year tend to be genuinely good and often a legitimate banger.

Arcade. Fuego. Even Toy. I'm not saying any of them will go down in history, but they were all songs which if you heard they had charted at the top one week you wouldn't be shocked.
    Euphoria was the kind of inoffensive, summery, light techno hit which you could have seen being no 1 across Europe without ever having been in the contest.
  • Options

It’s because it is unfair and biased that punters love it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    In Eurovision 2014 the Russian entry was booed because of what had happened in Ukraine.

I liked the entry, but it is worth remembering some of the lyrics from the song, called 'Shine', as I think Putin must listen to it on loop.

Living on the edge
    Closer to the crime
    Cross the line a step at a time

Now maybe there's a place
    Maybe there's a time
    Maybe there's a day you'll be mine

As John Oliver put it, that chorus is essentially an anthem to annexation.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,408
    Foxy said:

I think you are missing Kraftwerk - Radioactivity. Otherwise, good playlist.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Heathener said:

Will our pro-Modi/BJP commentators condemn?
    Both of them?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,171
    Mr. Tres, well, John Wayne's real name was Marion...
  • Options

That often works, though you can go further. I got quite into the world of Eurovision betting the last couple of years and there are some people who have become experts at understanding what sort of songs the Eurovision crowd loves and what a good performance looks like for the jury crowd etc.

Also, the way results are now ordered they know the final result before they start asking the countries to report - so they order the countries to make it look more interesting. This means laying the favourite in-play has been profitable every year since they started that system.
  • Options

Grand tradition in F1 to pay for your seat.
  • Options
    Shocking!

BBC:A ceasefire agreed between Russia and Ukraine to allow civilians to leave the city of Mariupol is not being fully observed, according to the city council.

In a message posted on Telegram, the council said that fighting was taking place in the Zaporizhzhia region, which is where the humanitarian corridor ends.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,140
    edited March 2022
    I’ve finally found it, something worse than pineapple on pizza. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Options

Never move to Sweden Peter. It’s the Number One tv event of the year. Almost shibboleth status. I’ve got my glitterpants and lördagsmys ready to go. Hope Vladimir is understanding and puts off his invasion until after Torino.
    Not much likelihood of me moving there, Stuart, but number one son has just been offered a job there. He's thinking about it.

Since he very much likes music and plays a bit himself I will pass on your helpful information. I imagine it will make his mind up for him.

Nej tack.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,941
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

I think you are missing Kraftwerk - Radioactivity. Otherwise, good playlist.
    End of the World as we Know It?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,705

The virtue signalling will be off the wall at Eurovision this year. Its intolerable in a normal year. The odds look about right for Ukraine I suppose- a lot could still happen. Frankly if the world makes it to Eurovision without a nuclear exchange then I would be grateful. Never thought I would say this but i would love Eurovision to be held this year !

Where's the ghost of Terry Wogan when you need him?

2001 Results: Dr Death and the Tooth Fairy.

"Cross your fingers, we are in this together - fans"
    Now let's call .... the Netherlands".

(Strewth !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9696cd3CN0
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't follow the sport but isn't Mazepin the world's worst Ueber driver?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,401

I’ve finally found it, something worse than pineapple on pizza. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

You've never been to a Теремок, clearly.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

That often works, though you can go further. I got quite into the world of Eurovision betting the last couple of years and there are some people who have become experts at understanding what sort of songs the Eurovision crowd loves and what a good performance looks like for the jury crowd etc.

Also, the way results are now ordered they know the final result before they start asking the countries to report - so they order the countries to make it look more interesting. This means laying the favourite in-play has been profitable every year since they started that system.
    Good piece. The Eurovision occupies a quantum state of being both a reassuringly silly comfort experience and also searing political commentary.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,040
    edited March 2022
    Quincel said:

Noted with thanks, Quincel, but doesn't that mean you have to actually watch the thing?

There are some things I won't do for money.
  • Options

There was that excellent film with Will Ferrell about it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,184
    kle4 said:

And Haas now needs every penny they can get....
  • Options

And Big Daddy was of course Shirley Crabtree in real life, and also a sweetie by all accounts.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Noted with thanks, Quincel, but doesn't that mean you have to actually watch the thing?

I once watched a Betting People interview with a Reality TV punter (it's a whole thing, Eurovision, Strictly, X Factor, Big Brother, and more). He was asked about Love Island gambling, and he said he couldn't bring himself to watch it and so he couldn't place informed bets. I think the response was something like 'You have to draw the line somewhere'.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,205
    Incredible footage from the only two cities of any size Russia have captured so far.

In Melitopol a large pro Ukraine protest advances towards soldiers firing over their head.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500026068782178304

In Kherson the main town square is filled to the brim by a pro-Ukraine protest, despite Russians firing warning shots.
    https://twitter.com/VALERIEinNYT/status/1500055776534179840

• Options

Quincel said:

Sheeran played himself in a very self-deprecating manner in the film Yesterday.

He might just do it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,060
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I once watched a Betting People interview with a Reality TV punter (it's a whole thing, Eurovision, Strictly, X Factor, Big Brother, and more). He was asked about Love Island gambling, and he said he couldn't bring himself to watch it and so he couldn't place informed bets. I think the response was something like 'You have to draw the line somewhere'.
    A Trinity friend of mine, Daniel Gould, ran sofabet.com until his untimely death 3 years ago. He gently explained betting to this callow undergrad and his Eurovision tips were invariably correct.
  • Options

And Big Daddy was of course Shirley Crabtree in real life, and also a sweetie by all accounts.
    And Tracy was a unisex name too.
    It is Jill Biden's middle name. Which is incongruous in a UK setting.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,849
    I'd have voted for Brexit with a song in my heart if I'd thought it entailed expulsion from the Annual International Ear-Worm Competition. Far away countries of which we know little, beating the crap out of each other with sonic WMDs, is not very nice.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Lol!

I used to have a similar attitude to the Bumper at the Cheltenham Festival.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,705

Quincel said:

I'm surprised the sausage roll people haven't had a go.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Lol!

Now transferred to the "cross country" race I presume.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,329
    dixiedean said:

Doris Miller was a USN cook who won the Navy Cross at Pearl Harbour and is getting a Ford class CVN named after him.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Lol!

That is at least over fences, Topping. What the hell is a flat race doing in the middle of a jumps festival?

I know what you mean about the x-Country though. It's a bit of a 'novelty' event, entertaining mainly for seeing how many jockeys get lost and go the wrong way.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,452
    Is this the current thread or is it the one about the Ukraine situation?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,116
    Interesting thread:

I wonder if what looks ever more like a huge military, economic, and strategic disaster for Russia is a product of a category error by Putin, who failed to appreciate what type of Russian military action he was starting. (A thread – apologies for the length.)

https://twitter.com/ruth_deyermond/status/1499862127322046465?s=21
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Lol!

That is at least over fences, Topping. What the hell is a flat race doing in the middle of a jumps festival?

I know what you mean about the x-Country though. It's a bit of a 'novelty' event, entertaining mainly for seeing how many jockeys get lost and go the wrong way.
    I don't mind the bumpers actually. Get a decent trip into up and coming horses. Then onto hurdles, etc.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Incredible footage from the only two cities of any size Russia have captured so far.

In Melitopol a large pro Ukraine protest advances towards soldiers firing over their head.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500026068782178304

In Kherson the main town square is filled to the brim by a pro-Ukraine protest, despite Russians firing warning shots.
    https://twitter.com/VALERIEinNYT/status/1500055776534179840

Brave folk. Controlling that won't be easy.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,232
    Hello.

Much been happening these past few weeks lol?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,566
    DougSeal said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

A Trinity friend of mine, Daniel Gould, ran sofabet.com until his untimely death 3 years ago. He gently explained betting to this callow undergrad and his Eurovision tips were invariably correct.
    You knew Daniel Gould? Such a sad loss to the world.

I got properly hooked on the X Factor because of sofabet. I even managed to win some money! What did for the programme was when they bought in an app giving people five free votes (so people could split their votes). That gave the powers that be far too much info and it became incredibly predictable (good for odds-on punters, but not my cup of tea).

But Eurovision was Daniel’s big passion. I think he actually got accreditation to attend in a formal role! I think he made a lot of money when they brought in the semi finals. It was something like he backed Armenia based on the draw and their diaspora being able to vote in that semi final.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,550

Interesting thread:

I wonder if what looks ever more like a huge military, economic, and strategic disaster for Russia is a product of a category error by Putin, who failed to appreciate what type of Russian military action he was starting. (A thread – apologies for the length.)

https://twitter.com/ruth_deyermond/status/1499862127322046465?s=21

V interesting.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,855
    Dura_Ace said:

dixiedean said:

Doris Miller was a USN cook who won the Navy Cross at Pearl Harbour and is getting a Ford class CVN named after him.
    Quite a story:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

But as an aside, according to Wiki he was given a girl's name as the midwife was convinced he would be a she.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,060
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

You knew Daniel Gould? Such a sad loss to the world.

I got properly hooked on the X Factor because of sofabet. I even managed to win some money! What did for the programme was when they bought in an app giving people five free votes (so people could split their votes). That gave the powers that be far too much info and it became incredibly predictable (good for odds-on punters, but not my cup of tea).

But Eurovision was Daniel’s big passion. I think he actually got accreditation to attend in a formal role! I think he made a lot of money when they brought in the semi finals. It was something like he backed Armenia based on the draw and their diaspora being able to vote in that semi final.
    Yes - we both did history at the same time at Trinity and we lived in the same part of N London during our 20s.
  • Options
    On Mazespin, how will the world cope without him? There must be some other drivers out there backed with money who Haas could tap up. Drivers who aren't as thoroughly repellent as him.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Lol!

I don't mind the bumpers actually. Get a decent trip into up and coming horses. Then onto hurdles, etc.
    Many many years ago the legendary Alan Potts pointed out that if you noted down the names of the first six home in the bumper and backed them blind next season you'd clean up. A number of us followed this advice with considerable success. Eventually the trick became too well known and became self-defeating, although I understand the wheel has turned full circle and it works again now.
This discussion has been closed.