Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give LAB a 94% chance of winning Erdington by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,550
    edited March 2022

kle4 said:

I'm always fascinated at being told how long leaders spoke for on the phone. Apparently Macron and Putin spoke for 90 minutes. Even assuming some delays for translations, what on earth did they spend all that time talking about?

Putin thinks that if he can just explain Lenin's mistake on the nationalities policy one more time, Macron will understand why the war is right...
    In fairness I doubt he's used to people admitting they don't understand or do not agree with his original stance. Not more than once, anyway.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,682

The fecking brass neck of this!!!!

BBC Politics
    @BBCPolitics
    ·
    4h
    "I'd just like to offer my heartfelt thanks and admiration to all of those journalists... who are risking their lives to bring us unbiased and accurate news from a live warzone"

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries gives an emotional tribute to journalists

===

Two weeks ago it was all about how shit the BBC is and how its funding model has to end.

The BBC have been reasonably well behaved during the war. The 10 O'Clock news edited Daria's speech removing "the you are too scared to come to Ukraine" bit. ITN and Sky were less compliant.

Defund ITV and Sky...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,812
    EU states have seized assets

The UK has not

If someone is cheerleading the UK government letting oligarchs off the hook, are they useful, or just an idiot?
  • Options
    #Moldova applies for #EU membership - President Maia Sandu. https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499417067732221957/photo/1
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,677
    In contrast to MISTY I think we should square up to Putin, declare a no fly zone, bomb the Russian convoys and give our undying support to Ukraine.

If that risks nuclear war it's too bad.

If we let Putin get away with this, which he currently is, then we should hang our heads in shame.

I reckon Maggie would've put the little shit back in his box.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,972
    DEATH PROBE Russian tycoon Mikhail Watford found hanged in one of Britain’s most prestigious estates days after Ukraine invasion
    Police are probing the death with the “utmost seriousness” amid fears he could have been on a hit list. Moscow has been linked to a number of exile deaths in Britain.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17825236/mikhail-watford-russian-invasion-ukraine/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

If someone is cheerleading the UK government letting oligarchs off the hook, are they useful, or just an idiot?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/03/boris-johnson-news-ukraine-war-russia-liz-truss-raab/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,926
    Scott_xP said:

#Moldova applies for #EU membership - President Maia Sandu. https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499417067732221957/photo/1

No doubt about, Putin is a geopolitical genius.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

Quite

Once again Boris has talked the talk but failed to deliver.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,904
    edited March 2022

Moldova president signs application to join the European Union, following Georgia and Ukraine

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1499419869409861640

That’s amazing.

It’s clear that EU is seen as - not NATO, but the next best thing.

Good news for EU fans.

An opportunity - if you squint - for the UK to help set up a coherent economic architecture for countries outside or perhaps not yet in the EU. EFTA 2.0 sort of thing.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,757

Nigelb said:

The default path now is an ongoing, bloody, grinding occupation of Ukraine, alongside the continued economic isolation of Russia.

I think we in the West can keep that up indefinitely. It’s less clear:

(1) how long Russia can keep up funding the war or manage the risk of regime collapse.
    (2) how long the Ukrainians can maintain their resistance.

So long as (1) and (2) remain uncertain, the war continues.

@YBarddCwsc’s proposed settlement makes sense, and is similar to what I’ve also said, but Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position....

That is to suggest an equivalence which doesn't exist.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine's survival as an independent nation. I wouldn't described that as maximalist.
    Not quite.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine’s survival as an independent nation, at pre-2014 borders, and as a member of both NATO and the EU.

Perhaps maximalist is the wrong word, I am simply saying that at least for now Zelensky has not signalled any potential compromise position.
    His country has been invaded by a hostile power. Why should he compromise?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

The way to avoid getting nuked is surely to convey the impression to the enemy that, under the right circumstances and with the right provocation, you just might.

An impression the great Ronald Reagan and blessed Lady Thatcher (PBUH) passed off with aplomb.

By contrast, no government that with a policy of net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is ever going to fire a nuclear weapon. Ever. Under any circumstances. Putin knows that.

So why are we kidding ourselves? We would never, ever use nuclear weapons, why not bin them and concentrate on conventionals?

Oh shut the fuck up about environmentalism already
    Do you think there are any circumstances under which the UK ever could or should launch a nuclear weapon? any circumstances at all?

Yes. Whenever you pop up I yearn for an all-consuming fireball,
    Seriously though, its important, should there not be a debate about the UK's nuclear deterrent? Its obvious we would never, ever use it. Why have it?

Even if that were a question for debate, right now is about the most stupid time possible to raise it.

What's your reason ?

I raise it now because I think Putin believes that the west as it is currently constituted would never use a nuclear weapon.

All Putin's actions and all the comments from our leaders about 'not escalating' are doing nothing to dispel his convictions.

Somebody powerful needs to get in front of Putin and those around him and make it clear that if we're going down, they are going down with us. We guarantee mutually assured destruction will be mutual.

Nobody in the west is doing that. Nobody. There is a massive void there.

And so it is quite likely a nuke will be used against us. And I think its even more likely we will do nothing.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The default path now is an ongoing, bloody, grinding occupation of Ukraine, alongside the continued economic isolation of Russia.

(1) how long Russia can keep up funding the war or manage the risk of regime collapse.

@YBarddCwsc’s proposed settlement makes sense, and is similar to what I’ve also said, but Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position....

Zelensky is committed to Ukraine's survival as an independent nation. I wouldn't described that as maximalist.
    Not quite.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine’s survival as an independent nation, at pre-2014 borders, and as a member of both NATO and the EU.

Perhaps maximalist is the wrong word, I am simply saying that at least for now Zelensky has not signalled any potential compromise position.
    I haven’t said he should, despite the frenzied moral masturbation of PB’s usual suspects.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/03/boris-johnson-news-ukraine-war-russia-liz-truss-raab/
    "May be stripped"

The EU have done it. We haven't. It's typical Boris Johnson who, afterall, the same year that Putin shot down a commercial airliner killing 283 innocent civilians including 80 children, played tennis with a Putin oligarch's wife in order to trouser £160,000.

Dirty stinking Putin tories.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Wait, the sclerotic EU is acting faster than the agile UK?

EU urges UK to act faster before Russian assets are spirited away https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Surely not...

Scotty reposting Eurozealot Guardian propaganda bullshit? Surely not...
    But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
    Why not examine the underlying question and decide on the merits?
    Because the underlying question is "EU official is moaning about the UK". Well, durr. Of course they are. If we were doing the exact opposite, they would still be moaning, the Guardian would still be reporting it uncritically and Scotty would still be reposting it here...
    Shit, I never see your username without thinking "I wonder what for" and "I hope he's not holding his breath." The underlying question is not what the EU says, it is whether what the EU has to say is true. Which I am sure you will agree it must be when you see it in a newspaper of record:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10572679/Fury-Roman-Abramovich-oligarchs-offload-billions-assets-without-facing-sanctions.html
  • Options

DEATH PROBE Russian tycoon Mikhail Watford found hanged in one of Britain’s most prestigious estates days after Ukraine invasion
    Police are probing the death with the “utmost seriousness” amid fears he could have been on a hit list. Moscow has been linked to a number of exile deaths in Britain.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17825236/mikhail-watford-russian-invasion-ukraine/

Didn't Boris Berezovsky die mysteriously on the same estate?

Must be a pretty dodgy area.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

In contrast to MISTY I think we should square up to Putin, declare a no fly zone, bomb the Russian convoys and give our undying support to Ukraine.

If we let Putin get away with this, which he currently is, then we should hang our heads in shame.

We're doing the right thing and just what Maggie would have done.

Maggie didn't directly fight the USSR but together with Ronald she helped win and end the Cold War.

Boris and Joe are doing the same thing thirty-odd years later. Zelenskyy's people are doing the direct fighting, but we're giving them the aid and support they need (and the pressure on Russia needed) so that they can win.
  • Options
    At the moment London would seem a safe bet for them… https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1499422490610868232
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,969
    Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

France, a yacht - what else?

The UK has closed its ports to Russian shipping - has the EU?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

The way to avoid getting nuked is surely to convey the impression to the enemy that, under the right circumstances and with the right provocation, you just might.

An impression the great Ronald Reagan and blessed Lady Thatcher (PBUH) passed off with aplomb.

By contrast, no government that with a policy of net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is ever going to fire a nuclear weapon. Ever. Under any circumstances. Putin knows that.

So why are we kidding ourselves? We would never, ever use nuclear weapons, why not bin them and concentrate on conventionals?

Do you think there are any circumstances under which the UK ever could or should launch a nuclear weapon? any circumstances at all?

Seriously though, its important, should there not be a debate about the UK's nuclear deterrent? Its obvious we would never, ever use it. Why have it?

Even if that were a question for debate, right now is about the most stupid time possible to raise it.

What's your reason ?

I raise it now because I think Putin believes that the west as it is currently constituted would never use a nuclear weapon.

All Putin's actions and all the comments from our leaders about 'not escalating' are doing nothing to dispel his convictions.

Somebody powerful needs to get in front of Putin and those around him and make it clear that if we're going down, they are going down with us. We guarantee mutually assured destruction will be mutual.

And so it is quite likely a nuke will be used against us. And I think its even more likely we will do nothing.
    It's linking it to carbon neutral targets that makes you look too mad to have a conversation with.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,097
    Is it worth us trying to economise on our gas usage at the moment to help the war effort.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited March 2022
    French presidential parrainages are updated to today: https://presidentielle2022.conseil-constitutionnel.fr/les-parrainages/parrainages-valides-par-candidat.html

Zemmour has leap-frogged Jadot (so much for him struggling to make the ballot!) and Le Pen has passed Dupont-Aignan and Arthaud (ditto!)

Poutou got 97 in the last 48 hours and needs 61 more by tomorrow. Below that, I think you can rule out reaching the threshold.
  • Options

Didn't Boris Berezovsky die mysteriously on the same estate?

Must be a pretty dodgy area.
    Probably still a lower death rate than Albert Square.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Have I hijacked your account? You were putting me back in my box when I was quoting Tobias Elwood just a fortnight ago.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Scott_xP said:

We just met ⁦@ZelenskyyUa⁩

“Can you hold out against Russian forces”

“I don’t know”

“Will you stay in Kyiv?”
    “Yes!”

Tired but strong & defiant and demanding a no-fly zone to save the nation.

https://twitter.com/IanPannell/status/1499413854891221001/photo/1

Thought. If we can get Zelenskyy and all his government out to US, they can carry on being legitimate Ukraine government, carry on negotiating EU membership, NATO membership, acting like a government in waiting making fight back even more likely?

DONT LET THEM DIE

Be like person who grabbed De Gaul and man handled him onto plane

PLEASE

I disagree, Zelenskyy seams very good at knowing what to do, let him do what he thinks is best, if that's to stay in Kyiv then that's where he should stay. it will boost the moral of the city and incress its chances of staying out of Russian hands.

Incidentally was De Gaule man handled on to a plane? I don't recall that, but maybe?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

I haven’t said he should, despite the frenzied moral masturbation of PB’s usual suspects.
    Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    "Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position...."
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    Heathener said:

This would be crazy, and not rational.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

What's your reason ?

It's linking it to carbon neutral targets that makes you look too mad to have a conversation with.
    And Greta.

Don't forget Greta.

She started this war, not Putin.
  • Options

" Putin is said to have told Mr Macron in a 90-minute call that he had no plans to stop the invasion, will continue until he takes the whole of Ukraine, and may then add extra security demands on top of the ones he had already sent to the US and NATO. The attack will continue 'without compromises' until 'the end', Putin said."

Very odd, becasuse this is completely the opposite direction of travel from Lavrov, both apparently in rhetoric and demands. Either it's the world's highest-stakes game of good-cop-bad-cop, as Luckyguy mentions, or we could be looking at some sort of regime split.

Given the other signs of public dissent here and there, I think it's most likely the latter.

Just trying to confuse us all.
    Yes, seems far more likely than second guessing motivations from loyalists.
  • Options
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,803
    Aslan said:

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

And Zelensky is in the right. To rational people Russia has already lost and has an unwinnable situation on its hands. To Putin and the hardliners types, they will not mentally get there until the situation is rapidly turning against them at an accelerating rate. At that point, every week that goes past will reduce Russian leverage, so we should hold the line until full Ukrainian territory and sovereignty is accepted. That means the right to determine their own foreign policy.
    If Scotland went Indy, would you (I am assuming you are English, apologies if not) accept them going into a close military alliance with Russia, and potentially having Russian bases on Scottish soil? I doubt it. In an imperfect world, realpolitik means that nations aren't entirely free. That of course includes Britain, despite Brexit.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    "Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position...."
    Yep.
    Please explain to me how that sentence either connotes approval/disapproval, let alone recommends one course of action or another.
  • Options

Golly

Putin is bloody good at (some aspects of) what he does

On the 90 minute phone call, google dexamethasone mania and then mania pressure of speech. I seriously think that is what's happening
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited March 2022

Scott_xP said:

"Contrary to the prime minister’s claims to be leading the world in the economic response to the invasion of Ukraine, there is frustration among allies over the UK’s lethargy in hitting Russian wealth."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Why aren’t they complaining about the US which is working to the same timetable as the U.K.?
    One of the reasons it will take longer here and in the US is because the government needs to respect the rule of law. In the EU they can lean on the ECJ to ignore whole swathes of treaty law but there's simply no chance that the supreme court here would do it and the UK government could end up in a pretty awful situation of having to unwind sanctions and pay billions in damages to people we've labelled a risk to society.

One of the great things about the UK is that everyone is protected by the law from government overreach, sometimes it makes life difficult but the alternative where the executive is able to influence judicial outcomes as happens in Europe fairly often is pretty awful.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Moldova president signs application to join the European Union, following Georgia and Ukraine

That’s amazing.

It’s clear that EU is seen as - not NATO, but the next best thing.

Good news for EU fans.

An opportunity - if you squint - for the UK to help set up a coherent economic architecture for countries outside or perhaps not yet in the EU. EFTA 2.0 sort of thing.
    Serbia and Montenegro are next in line to formally join the EU, both by 2025.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Serbia_to_the_European_Union
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Montenegro_to_the_European_Union
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    Please explain to me how that sentence either connotes approval/disapproval, let alone recommends one course of action or another.
    Seeking to have your own sovereignty isn't a maximalist position, its a default position.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533
    In other news, Yoon now looks in pole position for the S Korean election.
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2022/03/803_324895.html

Was there a market anywhere on this race ?
  • Options
    'If you are going to ask a question in the same tone, I'm not going to speak to you.'

Sky's @DominicWaghorn asks the Russian foreign ministry spokesperson if Russia is "lying" about targeting Ukrainian civilians.

Live updates: http://trib.al/QTC8as2

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1499424284317470729
  • Options

Heathener said:

Maggie didn't directly fight the USSR
    They didn't invade a European country when she was in charge. They wouldn't have dared.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,128
    IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

What's your reason ?

I think it's all the fault of the SNP. The dualling of the A9 north of Perth was always going to lead to this.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 849
    10-1 is good value, result could be lot closer than most think.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,126
    Applicant said:

"Russia's negotiating position - according to the country's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov - is that:

- Ukraine must "demilitarise" and "deNazify"
    - Crimea - Ukraine's southern peninsula annexed by Moscow in 2014 - is recognised by Kyiv as part of Russia
    - Two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine - self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic are formally recognised." (Source: BBC)

I'd say Ukraine could give up Crimea & Luhansk/Donetsk in return for Russia relinquishing all further territorial claims in Ukraine and for Russia accepting Ukraine can join the EU in due course.

Crimea has a Russian majority. Luhansk/Donetsk I really don't know -- but if they can get an acknowledgment that the rest of the Ukraine is not Russian, then it is surely worth it (cf Karelia & Finland).

The danger now is a de facto boundary is established by war that is actually much worse for Ukraine. Once population movements start (cf Northern Cyprus, Palestine), they can be very difficult to undo.

The territorial integrity of Ukraine (minus Crimea & Luhansk/Donetsk) would then need formal guarantees from the international community.

I expect my solution is hugely unpopular on pb,com -- but the Palestinians by repeatedly asking for almost everything have ended up with almost nothing.

"deNazify" - hmmm. So the guys who are into "blood and soil nationalism" and have actual Nazi tattoos want what, exactly?

"demilitarise" - this is simpler. They want Ukraine to get rid of all the weapons with which they have been making Russia look bad.

As to Luhansk/Donetsk - any thoughts on this poll - https://ratinggroup.ua/en/research/ukraine/obschenacionalnyy_opros_ukraina_v_usloviyah_voyny_1_marta_2022.html
    1. deNazify ... smells like Russian bullshit for consumption by the population at home.

2. de-militarize ... if this means Ukraine not joining NATO, but territorial integrity is guaranteed by everyone, that is fine by me. Russia accepts if Ukraine is invaded, the West will then intervene.

3. Well, of course, I repeatedly argued for a plebiscite, & Ukraine did have plenty of time to organise one. And I was repeatedly told on pb.com it was "too difficult" to organise a plebiscite, so we are now facing problems many orders of magnitude more difficult. Sadly, In times of war, the boundary is drawn by guns, not polls.

Russia gets Luhansk/Donetsk ... and any Russian living in the rest of the Ukraine who feels that the really have to live under the Russian flag is relocated there.
    No, not "too difficult" - a travesty of democracy as great as the "plebiscites" in the Baltics in the 1940s or Crimea in 2014.

A "plebiscite" in stolen territory held at gunpoint is worthless.
    This one won't fly, as territorial integrity was recognised (though not 'guaranteed') by all UN Permanent SC Members in 1994, and Putin just said "things have changed & that Treaty no longer applies".
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

BigG. citing the Telegraph? Where is your usual go to source, Guido, on dealing with Tory funding Oligarchs?
  • Options
    Don't kid yourselves pb tories or self-congratulate.

What's happening in the Ukraine is beyond belief and our lily-livered response is letting Putin get away with it.

This will see the tories sink further in the polls once the initial shock phase has passed.

Boris Johnson is not fit to be a lavatory attendant, let alone the leader of an increasingly marginalised country.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

" Putin is said to have told Mr Macron in a 90-minute call that he had no plans to stop the invasion, will continue until he takes the whole of Ukraine, and may then add extra security demands on top of the ones he had already sent to the US and NATO. The attack will continue 'without compromises' until 'the end', Putin said."

Very odd, becasuse this is completely the opposite direction of travel from Lavrov, both apparently in rhetoric and demands. Either it's the world's highest-stakes game of good-cop-bad-cop, as Luckyguy mentions, or we could be looking at some sort of regime split.

Given the other signs of public dissent here and there, I think it's most likely the latter.

Just trying to confuse us all.
    Yes, seems far more likely than second guessing the motivation of regime loyalists.
    Applicant said:

@YBarddCwsc’s proposed settlement makes sense, and is similar to what I’ve also said, but Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position.

We also in the West might find a partition settlement less satisfactory than we might have a week ago, because we lack a guarantee that - essentially - Putin is not going to go even more nuts and invade the Baltics etc.

Therefore, if militarily neutral Ukraine is part of the equation, we also need some kind of military forebearance commmitment from Russia.

I hope we (the US, or perhaps France) are activating our back channels with China. I think this whole shitshow is being looked on with horror by Beijing and they are in a position to pressure Russia toward a deal.

Given that Ukraine's position is "we want our country intact" and Putin's is "I want to steal it", drawing an equivalence between the two is appalling bothsidesism.
    Yes indeed. Being hard nosed and ruthless about it, sure, Zelensky is unlikely to be able to keep the borders of his country intact - that the world did nothing to stop the previous breaking up of it 8 years ago makes that unlikely for a start - but they are not equivalent demands being made, and so neither is keeping to that position equally stubborn from both, since one, even if considered unreaslistic, is at least rational and reasonable (compared to Ukraine does not exist/turn back time/don't build nukes) as a goal.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

BigG. citing the Telegraph? Where is your usual go to source, Guido, on dealing with Tory funding Oligarchs?
    BigG’s media habits addle his judgment.
    He’s not immune to a bit of Guido at all.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

More significantly we've closed our insurance and banking markets to Russian companies. That's much more significant than any individual sanctions.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Is it worth us trying to economise on our gas usage at the moment to help the war effort.

I'm surprised that has not been mentioned/suggested before!

Perhaps we should switch back on the mothballed coal plants to reduce gas consumption?
  • Options

Heathener said:

That would be crazy, and not rational.
    If Putin attacks a NATO country, as he probably will, we will have to fight back.

I take it you would support that.

Trouble is, us fighting back and shooting down Russian aircraft over, say, the baltics would risk nuclear war.

The logic of your position, therefore, is that Estonia is worth risking nuclear war for, but Ukraine isn't.

Just so as we are clear.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,803

Heathener said:

This would be crazy, and not rational.
    Thatcher was sensible enough to know what battles we could win, hence her difference in approach toward The Falklands and Hong Kong.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    Because you regard Putin and Zelensky as if they are just as bad as each other?
  • Options
    Former Conservative minister Gavin Williamson has been given a knighthood

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    MISTY said:

Heathener said:

If Putin attacks a NATO country, as he probably will, we will have to fight back.

Trouble is, us fighting back and shooting down Russian aircraft over, say, the baltics would risk nuclear war.

The logic of your position, therefore, is that Estonia is worth risking nuclear war for, but Ukraine isn't.

Just so as we are clear.

That's just the logic of being in an alliance, though, because that's what our own security depends on, too.
  • Options
    I am anxious that the UK preserve the rule of law, including property rights.

But at the same time, Boris is lying about getting tough with the oligarchs and can’t/won’t front-foot the issue.

It’s his typical mixture of lies, incompetence, greed and bluster.
  • Options

It seems impossible that Russia could not have predicted this. Even being an EU candidate would be a significant signal of intent.

It seems clear he wants a cold war even thouh it means hardship, but he has a limited pool of dedicated allies on his side, so it is an insane idea.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    MISTY said:

Aslan said:

If the Afghans can maintain a resistance for 20 years despite little external support against the full weight of the US, then Ukrainians can maintain a resistance against a sanctioned Russia with the full resources of the West behind them.

Or defending the West to the last Ukrainian, as its otherwise known
    Because everyone knows Afghanistan doesn't have a population these days.

This isn't Russia, your logic jumps won't work here.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,744
    The Queen has been pleased to approve that the honour of Knighthood be conferred upon The Rt. Hon. Gavin Williamson CBE MP.
  • Options
    Dirty tory Russian money latest. The UK are doing nothing! What a surprise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60605462

• Options

Leon said:

A depressing and challenging thread. We might be making it WORSE for Ukraine by encouraging resistance, which will be met with annihilation

‘It may sound paradoxical from the outside, but Russia's *tactical defeats* now make *strategic victory* imperative.

To preserve Russia's aspiration to be a superpower, there must be no doubt at the end of the war who the victor was.

It must be Russia. By a crushing margin.’

https://twitter.com/clintehrlich/status/1499282732307779587?s=21

A thread worth reading, even if you despise the thesis

I think it is probably right, unfortunately. It is indisputably the case that, from a personal point of view, Putin absolutely has to win this war, or at least have something he can portray as a win. He can survive almost anything except being seen to be a loser. It's also true that he doesn't care a toss about how many civilians are killed in the process. He probably cares a little bit about Ukrainian cities, because it will be mildly embarrassing for him to have 'won' a land of rubble and destruction, a land which he claims is Russian and full of people he's claiming to want to protect, but he'd no doubt be able to gloss over that mild embarrassment. He also doesn't care too much about losses on the Russian side, although again he can't ignore them completely.

Cumulatively, though, the cost of this 'victory' is going to be immense, and the Ukrainians will fight on doggedly even if he does flatten the place and install his puppet regime. He claims to be a student of Russian, and Soviet, history, but can't be a very good one if he doesn't understand that the Ukrainians will fight on doggedly against a vicious, well-armed totalitarian aggressor.

Putin: "We have to destroy Ukraine to save it!"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

"Contrary to the prime minister’s claims to be leading the world in the economic response to the invasion of Ukraine, there is frustration among allies over the UK’s lethargy in hitting Russian wealth."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Why aren’t they complaining about the US which is working to the same timetable as the U.K.?
    One of the reasons it will take longer here and in the US is because the government needs to respect the rule of law. In the EU they can lean on the ECJ to ignore whole swathes of treaty law but there's simply no chance that the supreme court here would do it and the UK government could end up in a pretty awful situation of having to unwind sanctions and pay billions in damages to people we've labelled a risk to society.

One of the great things about the UK is that everyone is protected by the law from government overreach, sometimes it makes life difficult but the alternative where the executive is able to influence judicial outcomes as happens in Europe fairly often is pretty awful.
    That is simply not true. With (emergency) primary legislation in this country you can do whatever the hell you like. A point made by me at about 1230 on the last thread and confirmed by Lord Sumption, obv a lurker here, on the radio an hour later. Where there's a will there's a way, and where there's millions in dodgy Russian funding there is very little will.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    I don’t, though.
    What a stupid accusation to make.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,118

Heathener said:

Have I hijacked your account? You were putting me back in my box when I was quoting Tobias Elwood just a fortnight ago.
    It's interesting watching people head towards the General Power position. He was the one that Curtis Le May thought was a little bit on the nuke happy side.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

The Queen has been pleased to approve that the honour of Knighthood be conferred upon The Rt. Hon. Gavin Williamson CBE MP.

lol...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,492
    edited March 2022
    theakes said:

10-1 is good value, result could be lot closer than most think.

Not betting on this but I agree. 10/1 looks generous.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    If you explain what you mean by frenzied moral masturbation, by all means.
  • Options
    For services to comedy, specifically farce?

BREAKING: Knighthood Conferred on Gavin Williamson https://order-order.com/2022/03/03/breaking-knighthood-conferred-on-gavin-williamson

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1499425240383995911
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    I don’t, though.
    Then why even write the aforementioned sentence?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    MISTY said:

Heathener said:

Just so as we are clear.

Yes because that is what we have agreed. IF Putin attacks a NATO country then we have no choice but to get involved and fight. But that will probably be the end of all of us one way or another. We do have a choice about Ukraine because we have no commitment to support them.

Both cases end up with us in a nuclear war with Russia. In the case of Ukraine we can choose not to take that step. And that is absolutely what we are right to do.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

He may have no choice even if the war goes very well. But suggestions of what he should give up are often pretty flippant as to how easy it would be for him to sell to his people. They love him now, but that doesn't mean bowing to demands would be simple.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

"However, a government source told the PA news agency it could take "weeks and months" to build legal cases for confiscation."

Jesus.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,408
    Leon said:

A depressing and challenging thread. We might be making it WORSE for Ukraine by encouraging resistance, which will be met with annihilation

‘It may sound paradoxical from the outside, but Russia's *tactical defeats* now make *strategic victory* imperative.

To preserve Russia's aspiration to be a superpower, there must be no doubt at the end of the war who the victor was.

I haven't read the thread, but I 100% agree that Russia has had such a terrible experience so far, that Putin has no option but to win the war.

Simply, who is going to be frightened of Russia's military might given how the Ukrainians have defended themselves. (Plus, of course, it's not great for Russia's arms export industry. Who wants to buy their tanks or helicopters, when they can be so easily destroyed by cheap Western weapons?)

The problem with this - of course - is that it creates Putin's Afghanistan. A long lived, low level insurgency which ties down troops, costs a fortune, and happens in the context of severe economic sanctions.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Something tells me that @ydoethur will have something to say about this...

• Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    I don’t, though.
    Then why even write the aforementioned sentence?
    Because I mistakenly assumed PB wasn’t infested with virtue signalling lackwits.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

France and Germany have seized two super yachts belonging to oligarchs.

Two yachts. That'll show Putin...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,858
    Applicant said:

Something tells me that @ydoethur will have something to day about this...
    The only reason for giving that useless Messerschmitt a knighthood would be to have an unfortunate slip with the sword while conferring it.
  • Options

Isn't that unusual betweeon honours lists? Does he need silencing about something?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Has he? Sounded inevitable once he was sacked, in order to keep him quiet.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,972
    Scott_xP said:

A good day to bury bad news.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think it is probably right, unfortunately. It is indisputably the case that, from a personal point of view, Putin absolutely has to win this war, or at least have something he can portray as a win. He can survive almost anything except being seen to be a loser. It's also true that he doesn't care a toss about how many civilians are killed in the process. He probably cares a little bit about Ukrainian cities, because it will be mildly embarrassing for him to have 'won' a land of rubble and destruction, a land which he claims is Russian and full of people he's claiming to want to protect, but he'd no doubt be able to gloss over that mild embarrassment. He also doesn't care too much about losses on the Russian side, although again he can't ignore them completely.

Cumulatively, though, the cost of this 'victory' is going to be immense, and the Ukrainians will fight on doggedly even if he does flatten the place and install his puppet regime. He claims to be a student of Russian, and Soviet, history, but can't be a very good one if he doesn't understand that the Ukrainians will fight on doggedly against a vicious, well-armed totalitarian aggressor.

But the issue is that anything Putin could conceivably frame as a "win" has to be larger than the perceived costs. Given the car crash about to happen to the Russian economy and the resistance of Ukrainians, that has to be major annexations and limits on the sovereignty of rump Ukraine. That is not going to be tolerable to the Ukrainians. So we are in the world of Putin's position being in question, at which point it becomes in Ukraine's interest to press for full sovereignty and territory.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MISTY said:

Nigelb said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

What's your reason ?

Sorry, it wasn't me that told the electorate that climate change was by far the greatest threat humanity faced.

That was, however, the British government's position two weeks ago.

Are you saying they have abandoned that position? because I haven't heard they have.

And if they still believe that climate change is the greatest threat we face, then the chance of them firing a nuclear weapon ever are zero.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Heathener said:

That's about a billion dollars.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,408
    MISTY said:

Heathener said:

Just so as we are clear.

Yes.

Because that is our treaty obligations.

We defend NATO countries, with our troops, our aircraft, and even - if necessary - our nuclear weapons.

But it is different for the Ukraine, because we don't have a treaty obligation.

Unless you're saying the UK has a duty to defend countries, irrespective of whether they have a mutual defence obligation.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    There is an inherent suggestion maximalist positions are bad/unreasonable. It'd be like describing them of having both having extreme positions. That might technically be true, but wouldn't make them equally extreme, yet describing them together like that implies they are the same even if that is not intended.

It is at best linguistically ambiguous, it seems a bit precious to be complaining people took that meaning from it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,114

Leon said:

The guy who wrote the thread is no fool. I reckon he’s right, as well. Tragically

The more the Ukes fight the more desperately brutal Putin will become, he is already using cluster munitions and thermobaric bombs on civilian targets. He could turn Kyiv into grozny, he won’t care as long as he wins big

It is a terrible thing: to advise a nation to surrender. But it might be the best option for Ukraine right this minute. Agree terms. Try and maintain some autonomy. Regroup, save Ukrainian cities from total devastation

It’s an option. It’s an awful option. But there are no good options
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

That's about a billion dollars.
    And is not designed to show Putin anything. Apart from that...
  • Options
    Something has shifted tonight in Moscow. If feels all at once like panic & blissful ignorance. Panic because I’m getting messages talking about the rush to leave, FSB questioning people on borders, forcing them to stay. Young men getting called up to the front line and escaping

Ignorance - because walking the streets of this city tonight, you would never know it may be about to close itself off from the rest of the world. People in restaurants and cafes. Life continuing. Surreal.

https://twitter.com/JamesAALongman/status/1499427440497725442
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,503
    edited March 2022
    I saw a screenshot of a long message sent to a Whatsapp group from someone taking part in the operation from the Russian side who was saying that the level of "fanaticism" among the local popualtion exceeds their worst fears - "even in Novorossiya" - and that it reminds him of the Chechen war.
  • Options

But at the same time, Boris is lying about getting tough with the oligarchs and can’t/won’t front-foot the issue.

I think the sanctions are coming but the government's position of having them legally watertight before pushing ahead makes sense. Being ordered by the courts to unwind them and pay damages for seized property would be a disaster. Locking Russians and Russian companies out of our markets is a simply process, seizing assets either with an unexplained wealth order or with other sanctions can be very tricky. Proving ownership, proving that the individuals are a risk to society or associated to the Putin regime will be very difficult indeed.

I'd much rather take a slower and considered approach than go in guns blazing and then keeping our fingers crossed that the courts don't unwind it all. In the EU the ECJ can be relied on to rule however they are asked to. Imagine these oligarchs getting a supreme court seal of approval that they shouldn't have been sanctioned or have their assets seized on some legal technicality because the government didn't adhere to legal protocols properly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

More significantly we've closed our insurance and banking markets to Russian companies. That's much more significant than any individual sanctions.
    Yes, we could have been faster going after oligarchs, but no we shouldn’t throw due process out the window to do so - and this fetishisation of oligarchs is ignoring the more substantive work that has been done. I suspect there is some embarrassment in the EU over their handbrake turn on Russia, but so be it. Unity is more important than nit picking.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If Putin isn't removed in the short term and (God forbid) things don't escalate outside of Ukraine to bring NATO into direct conflict then I think Russia will descend into something close to civil war.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,858
    IshmaelZ said:

Isn't that unusual betweeon honours lists? Does he need silencing about something?
    He needs silencing because every time he opens his mouth he talks bullshit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    There is an inherent suggestion maximalist positions are bad/unreasonable. It'd be like describing them of having both having extreme positions. That might technically be true, but wouldn't make them equally extreme, yet describing them together like that implies they are the same even if that is not intended.
    I said maximalist, you say extreme.

I don’t regard Zelensky’s position as “extreme”, but simply - at this juncture - uncompromising. And in the original post I was not making any judgment about that.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

The UK has not

Yes, we could have been faster going after oligarchs, but no we shouldn’t throw due process out the window to do so - and this fetishisation of oligarchs is ignoring the more substantive work that has been done. I suspect there is some embarrassment in the EU over their handbrake turn on Russia, but so be it. Unity is more important than nit picking.
    I was the biggest critic of the EU a week ago but they have fully turned around and are now moving faster than the Brits. Boris needs to stop dragging his feet on dodgy foreign money.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the sanctions are coming but the government's position of having them legally watertight before pushing ahead makes sense. Being ordered by the courts to unwind them and pay damages for seized property would be a disaster. Locking Russians and Russian companies out of our markets is a simply process, seizing assets either with an unexplained wealth order or with other sanctions can be very tricky. Proving ownership, proving that the individuals are a risk to society or associated to the Putin regime will be very difficult indeed.

I'd much rather take a slower and considered approach than go in guns blazing and then keeping our fingers crossed that the courts don't unwind it all. In the EU the ECJ can be relied on to rule however they are asked to. Imagine these oligarchs getting a supreme court seal of approval that they shouldn't have been sanctioned or have their assets seized on some legal technicality because the government didn't adhere to legal protocols properly.
    Precisely.

Plus there's a reason we're following the timescale as the USA on this, and we've been moving pretty much in lockstep with the USA since before this began on this for very, very good reason. Only someone completely driven mad by Brexit would think Joe Biden has put a timescale on certain sanctions because the Tories received donations years ago from some people born in Russia. 🙄
  • Options

For services to knowing where the bodies are buried
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,114
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I haven't read the thread, but I 100% agree that Russia has had such a terrible experience so far, that Putin has no option but to win the war.

Simply, who is going to be frightened of Russia's military might given how the Ukrainians have defended themselves. (Plus, of course, it's not great for Russia's arms export industry. Who wants to buy their tanks or helicopters, when they can be so easily destroyed by cheap Western weapons?)

The problem with this - of course - is that it creates Putin's Afghanistan. A long lived, low level insurgency which ties down troops, costs a fortune, and happens in the context of severe economic sanctions.
    Read the entire thread. 5 minutes that will really educate you. It did me, anyway

He makes an uncomfortable argument that cannot be avoided
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

Wot @Gardenwalker said:
    Yep.
    I said maximalist, you say extreme.

I don’t regard Zelensky’s position as “extreme”, but simply - at this juncture - uncompromising. And in the original post I was not making any judgment about that.
    Zelensky would make a tactical mistake if he publicly offered to compromise. In talks or via covert channels he may decide he has to in order to avoid extreme levels of civilian casualties.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The guy who wrote the thread is no fool. I reckon he’s right, as well. Tragically

The more the Ukes fight the more desperately brutal Putin will become, he is already using cluster munitions and thermobaric bombs on civilian targets. He could turn Kyiv into grozny, he won’t care as long as he wins big

It is a terrible thing: to advise a nation to surrender. But it might be the best option for Ukraine right this minute. Agree terms. Try and maintain some autonomy. Regroup, save Ukrainian cities from total devastation

It’s an option. It’s an awful option. But there are no good options
    Would you have argued for Britain to make peace in 1940 rather than have London be bombed? Long run, the best thing for the world is a Russia forced to withdraw and Putin removed from power.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Precisely.

Plus there's a reason we're following the timescale as the USA on this, and we've been moving pretty much in lockstep with the USA since before this began on this for very, very good reason. Only someone completely driven mad by Brexit would think Joe Biden has put a timescale on certain sanctions because the Tories received donations years ago from some people born in Russia. 🙄
    Only someone completely driven mad by Brexit would continue to mention Brexit in a thread about Ukraine / sanctions.
This discussion has been closed.