Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters give LAB a 94% chance of winning Erdington by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,822
    Sadly, I think Putin could drop a nuke on Lviv; and China will just call for de-escalation and a peaceful resolution to the conflict. The best way out of this is a revolution in Russia.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760
    What have I to report? I have spoken to my mum and dad. My mum likes Nadine Dorries and thinks she’s doing a brilliant job. That’s not surprising. My dad not 100% sure the Snake Island thing happened like was said so they are not all dead, surprised me. But good news if true.
    My brother thinks he can rebuild Ukraine single handedly and become a Oligarch once Putin is beaten out. That bits not surprising.

Another week in life of Jade 26 1/2. Feels like a crap year so far. 😞
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Scott_xP said:

SCOOP: Biden is poised to impose sanctions on a number of Russian oligarchs and their families TODAY, sources tell @nwadhams and me.
    The sanctions will be in keeping with EU measures but broader, prohibiting the oligarchs’ travel to US and also targeting their families.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1499409767479091209

Just the 'world-leading' UK lagging behind then.
    No shortage of 'useful idiots' here fanning the disunited allies meme so beloved of Putin.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,987
    Scott_xP said:

Wait, the sclerotic EU is acting faster than the agile UK?

EU urges UK to act faster before Russian assets are spirited away https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Surely not...

Are they saying the same to the US who are also giving 30 days notice?

And how are those “EU fighters” shaping up?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,778

Leon said:

We may as well accept it, there are no good outcomes to this that don't involve the overthorw of Putin. It may take months or years but the West should keep up the economic pressure on Russia until it happens.

No 'deal' that sees Ukrain giving up part of its territory should be brooked whist Putin is still in charge imo - and 'guarantee' he offers about Ukraine's future will be worthless.

And what if Putin says ‘if I don’t get my way in Ukraine I will nuke Lviv, killing 1m people’

What can we do then? We are not going to all-out nuclear war with Russia over Ukraine. It’s that simple. And Putin knows it, hence his barely veiled threats of nuke war. The menace is present

In the end he will get what he wants in Ukraine

The big problem with nuclear weapons and the theory of deterrence was the reliance on everyone acting rationally. The unspoken fear was always: what happens if someone mad gets hold of them. We always presumed that meant terrorists, willing to die for religion or whatever

Turns out it’s worse than that. It’s the president of Russia and he has 6,000 warheads, not just 1 in a briefcase

Oh, I quite accept he may for a time get the whole of Ukraine, but there should be no let up on the economic sanctions. From all I have heard the Russian economy cannot last long in the current climate.

Agreeing a settlement with Putin will be a sham, and he will soon be on to the next target.

The Chinese have a role to play here too. Whilst they would have been happy to see the West divided and the US 'knocked off its perch', economic meltdown and, even more, nuclear war does them no good at all. If the west plus China cannot constrain Russia now then we may as well give up, because nothing will.
    I think China will be very satisfied with the situation. Its making them look like the adults in the room, it's giving them a desperate trading partner to sell them lots of cheap gas, and buy lots of manufactured goods, it's weakening a potential future geopolitical rival.
    Chinese have been playing the long game for the past 20 years. And its working out very well for them.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Scott_xP said:

EU urges UK to act faster before Russian assets are spirited away https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Surely not...

Scotty reposting Eurozealot Guardian propaganda bullshit? Surely not...
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,152
    MISTY said:

The way to avoid getting nuked is surely to convey the impression to the enemy that, under the right circumstances and with the right provocation, you just might.

An impression the great Ronald Reagan and blessed Lady Thatcher (PBUH) passed off with aplomb.

By contrast, no government that with a policy of net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is ever going to fire a nuclear weapon. Ever. Under any circumstances. Putin knows that.

So why are we kidding ourselves? We would never, ever use nuclear weapons, why not bin them and concentrate on conventionals?

Oh shut the fuck up about environmentalism already
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

If polling is right, Labour should expect a large swing?

It will get a swing but likely less so than nationally as Erdington was 63% Leave. There has been less swing in the polls of Tory Leave voters to Starmer Labour since 2019 compared to Tory Remain voters.

The former were more likely to be voting for Boris and Brexit, the latter more against Corbyn
    I agree with you. The fact that Labours MP was popular may have disguised how it’s a leave seat not a Labour seat and how popular and strong the Tories are in the midlands. Plus Labour have picked a poor candidate. They appear to be too complacent about this election. Both those things predict a poor result everyone can say is a surprise but shouldn’t be really, as poor candidate and complacency mean labour lose votes to not just Tories but Libdems and TUC. Plus with our country at war it could make the electorate more unpredictable, why not a rally round flag bounce for Tories? I wouldn’t be hugely surprised to wake up to find Tories have won.
    God I hope not. That would nail Pig Dog in place for a decade
    No it will be a safe Labour hold.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,833
    Scoop: Co-op Food has become the first U.K. supermarket chain to remove from sale Russian-made Vodka in response to Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/sebwhale/status/1499410759520079880
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,541
    edited March 2022

" Putin is said to have told Mr Macron in a 90-minute call that he had no plans to stop the invasion, will continue until he takes the whole of Ukraine, and may then add extra security demands on top of the ones he had already sent to the US and NATO. The attack will continue 'without compromises' until 'the end', Putin said."

Very odd, becasuse this is completely the opposite direction of travel from Lavrov, both apparently in terms of rhetoric and demands. Either it's the world's highest-stakes game of good-cop-bad-cop, as Luckyguy mentions, or we could be looking at some sort of regime split.

Given the other signs of increasing public dissent here and there, I think it's most likely the latter.

It sounds as though he's just coming clean on what was his original plan.
  • Options
    Hong Kong is currently experiencing a horrifying COVID-19 outbreak. The mortality rate is approaching the UK's peak in January 2021.

Why, if Omicron is so much milder?

Most of that mildness is really due to vaccination and Hong Kong has hugely failed to vaccinate older people.

https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1499412424016994305
  • Options

Are they saying the same to the US who are also giving 30 days notice?

🚨NEWS: Biden today will turn the screws on Putin and his inner circle for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a week ago. US targeting oligarchs' families, too, to prevent them from transferring assets to spouses or children, sources tell @nwadhams and me.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-03/u-s-readies-new-sanctions-on-russian-oligarchs-and-families?sref=yYYRek8e
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Scott_xP said:

The European Union is seeking to remove Russia’s most-favored nation status at the World Trade Organization, a move that could further hit 95 billion euros ($105 billion) of Moscow’s exports to the bloc with tariffs @AlbertoNardelli @bbaschuk
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-03/eu-seeks-to-suspend-russia-s-most-favored-nation-status-at-wto?sref=kiFHtrGv @bpolitics

I'm assuming that 95 Billion Euro exports is mostly Oil and gas and maybe a little food/fertiliser?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945
    The fecking brass neck of this!!!!

BBC Politics
    @BBCPolitics
    ·
    4h
    "I'd just like to offer my heartfelt thanks and admiration to all of those journalists... who are risking their lives to bring us unbiased and accurate news from a live warzone"

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries gives an emotional tribute to journalists

===

Two weeks ago it was all about how shit the BBC is and how its funding model has to end.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

"Contrary to the prime minister’s claims to be leading the world in the economic response to the invasion of Ukraine, there is frustration among allies over the UK’s lethargy in hitting Russian wealth."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Why aren’t they complaining about the US which is working to the same timetable as the U.K.?
    The Brexit wound has gone very deep .. is why.
    Says Spain to Jersey, like a couple of elderly eunuchs comparing notes on their favourite brothel

Brexit was meant to mean we get things done quicker, because 1 vs 27, red tape, blah blah
  • Options

The default path now is an ongoing, bloody, grinding occupation of Ukraine, alongside the continued economic isolation of Russia.

I think we in the West can keep that up indefinitely. It’s less clear:

(1) how long Russia can keep up funding the war or manage the risk of regime collapse.
    (2) how long the Ukrainians can maintain their resistance.

So long as (1) and (2) remain uncertain, the war continues.

@YBarddCwsc’s proposed settlement makes sense, and is similar to what I’ve also said, but Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position....

That is to suggest an equivalence which doesn't exist.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine's survival as an independent nation. I wouldn't described that as maximalist.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Hong Kong is currently experiencing a horrifying COVID-19 outbreak. The mortality rate is approaching the UK's peak in January 2021.

Most of that mildness is really due to vaccination and Hong Kong has hugely failed to vaccinate older people.

South Korea taking a massive battering from COVID, including the PM reported today as having caught it. As well as New Zealand also seeing a big surge.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We just met ⁦@ZelenskyyUa⁩

“Can you hold out against Russian forces”

“I don’t know”

“Will you stay in Kyiv?”
    “Yes!”

Tired but strong & defiant and demanding a no-fly zone to save the nation.

https://twitter.com/IanPannell/status/1499413854891221001/photo/1

Thought. If we can get Zelenskyy and all his government out to US, they can carry on being legitimate Ukraine government, carry on negotiating EU membership, NATO membership, acting like a government in waiting making fight back even more likely?

DONT LET THEM DIE

Be like person who grabbed De Gaul and man handled him onto plane

PLEASE

• Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2022
    Nigelb said:

" Putin is said to have told Mr Macron in a 90-minute call that he had no plans to stop the invasion, will continue until he takes the whole of Ukraine, and may then add extra security demands on top of the ones he had already sent to the US and NATO. The attack will continue 'without compromises' until 'the end', Putin said."

Very odd, becasuse this is completely the opposite direction of travel from Lavrov, both apparently in terms of rhetoric and demands. Either it's the world's highest-stakes game of good-cop-bad-cop, as Luckyguy mentions, or we could be looking at some sort of regime split.

Given the other signs of increasing public dissent here and there, I think it's most likely the latter.

It sounds as though he's just coming clean on what was his original plan.
    Maybe he is, but other people may be up to something different, I think.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098
    Are we prepared to speak bluntly with Putin?

If he did say that he would take the whole of Ukraine and wouldn't stop until the job was done I hope he was told that he didn't have a cat in hell's chance of achieving that, we'll be supporting a resistance/government in exile for as long as necessary and his economy will be a basket case in the very near future
  • Options
    The door of one of the central cafes in Lviv (counter of loss of the occupiers on the paper).
    A few days ago waiters asked customers to show their covid certificate before entering. Now they ask to show a passport.
    https://twitter.com/KSergatskova/status/1499415564963487745/photo/1
  • Options

What have I to report? I have spoken to my mum and dad. My mum likes Nadine Dorries and thinks she’s doing a brilliant job. That’s not surprising. My dad not 100% sure the Snake Island thing happened like was said so they are not all dead, surprised me. But good news if true.
    My brother thinks he can rebuild Ukraine single handedly and become a Oligarch once Putin is beaten out. That bits not surprising.

Another week in life of Jade 26 1/2. Feels like a crap year so far. 😞

The only utterly unbelievable thing there is the bit about Dorries.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    There should be an emergency act passed (overnight sitting) to seize all Russian owned assets worth above a certain amount and to hold them in trust for 12 months. Subsequent legislation can set up process for returning some (say to opposition or relatively neutral figures) and confiscating the rest and distributing funds for Ukraine rebuild or whatever.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Farooq said:

MISTY said:

The way to avoid getting nuked is surely to convey the impression to the enemy that, under the right circumstances and with the right provocation, you just might.

An impression the great Ronald Reagan and blessed Lady Thatcher (PBUH) passed off with aplomb.

By contrast, no government that with a policy of net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is ever going to fire a nuclear weapon. Ever. Under any circumstances. Putin knows that.

So why are we kidding ourselves? We would never, ever use nuclear weapons, why not bin them and concentrate on conventionals?

Do you think there are any circumstances under which the UK ever could or should launch a nuclear weapon? any circumstances at all?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,945
    Alexander Stubb
    @alexstubb
    A ten point THREAD on the situation from a country with a 1340km border with Russia:

1. The security threat is real. Putin wants to take over Ukraine, revamp the security structure of Europe & keep Finland & Sweden out of Nato. We must assume that his actions have no limits.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1499334282992627716
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

"Contrary to the prime minister’s claims to be leading the world in the economic response to the invasion of Ukraine, there is frustration among allies over the UK’s lethargy in hitting Russian wealth."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

Why aren’t they complaining about the US which is working to the same timetable as the U.K.?
    Says Spain to Jersey, like a couple of elderly eunuchs comparing notes on their favourite brothel

Brexit was meant to mean we get things done quicker, because 1 vs 27, red tape, blah blah
    That's why I voted Remain.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

Second time you posted that garbage. Anyone would think you had another agenda completely unrelated to the Ukraine.
    Is the garbage definitely not true though?
  • Options
    felix said:

Anyone would think you had another agenda completely unrelated to the Ukraine.

And what is your agenda?

You can't refute the facts. Even PJohnson was more convincing...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,133

South Korea taking a massive battering from COVID, including the PM reported today as having caught it. As well as New Zealand also seeing a big surge.
    Forget all national vanity etc. Please, FFS, any country out there - vaccinate all the old people, lots and lots of times. It bloody works.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
    So you haven't really thought about it, you're just shooting the messenger.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,927
    Nigelb said:

The default path now is an ongoing, bloody, grinding occupation of Ukraine, alongside the continued economic isolation of Russia.

(1) how long Russia can keep up funding the war or manage the risk of regime collapse.

@YBarddCwsc’s proposed settlement makes sense, and is similar to what I’ve also said, but Putin and Zelensky are both still committed to their own maximalist position....

Zelensky is committed to Ukraine's survival as an independent nation. I wouldn't described that as maximalist.
    Not quite.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine’s survival as an independent nation, at pre-2014 borders, and as a member of both NATO and the EU.

Perhaps maximalist is the wrong word, I am simply saying that at least for now Zelensky has not signalled any potential compromise position.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2022
    Why did Putin spend 90 minutes on a call with Macron? Sounds like he's very rattled.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,611
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

"Russia's negotiating position - according to the country's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov - is that:

- Ukraine must "demilitarise" and "deNazify"
    - Crimea - Ukraine's southern peninsula annexed by Moscow in 2014 - is recognised by Kyiv as part of Russia
    - Two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine - self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic are formally recognised." (Source: BBC)

I'd say Ukraine could give up Crimea & Luhansk/Donetsk in return for Russia relinquishing all further territorial claims in Ukraine and for Russia accepting Ukraine can join the EU in due course.

Crimea has a Russian majority. Luhansk/Donetsk I really don't know -- but if they can get an acknowledgment that the rest of the Ukraine is not Russian, then it is surely worth it (cf Karelia & Finland).

The danger now is a de facto boundary is established by war that is actually much worse for Ukraine. Once population movements start (cf Northern Cyprus, Palestine), they can be very difficult to undo.

The territorial integrity of Ukraine (minus Crimea & Luhansk/Donetsk) would then need formal guarantees from the international community.

I expect my solution is hugely unpopular on pb,com -- but the Palestinians by repeatedly asking for almost everything have ended up with almost nothing.

If you 'demilitarise' what stops a later Russian coup?
    I think there would have to be safeguards for Ukraine's democracy-- maybe immediate admission to the EU for the Ukraine? (Not really for us to say, as we are no longer in the EU, I agree).

So, then, Ukraine ends up with almost all of its present territory, and in the EU asap.

And Russia ends up with Crimea (which Ukraine has no real claim to) and two depressed post-industrial territories.

I think Ukraine would then have got a good deal, actually.

Sadly, what I think is going to happen is Ukraine is going to be partitioned. And population movements will entrench the de facto boundary.
    So we should, in fact, by saying "thank you, Mr Putin!"

And what about accession processes and criteria? What about the veto each EU country has on admitting new members? I guess this is why Putin has such long tables, because the sheer number of people you'd need to have sitting around a table to thrash out your "deal" is boggling.
    I'm trying to stay polite and not say what I really think of your scheme, because I really don't want to put people off thinking creatively, but I'm certain you haven't put a second of thought into the practicalities. Your plan is... psychedelic.
    Let"s see how this ends up.

But, if Ukraine gets partitioned, and there are many years of instability & war, then Ukraine will be far worse off.

Do the Palestinians deserve to be living in a tiny portion of the territory that they formerly occupied? No.

Northern Cyprus is 1/3 of the island of Cyprus. Before the invasion of Cyprus, Turkish Cypriots were ~ 18 per cent of the population. Were Turkish Cypriots entitled to 33 per cent of the island? No.

The boundary that is drawn by war will probably be worse for Ukraine.

If you don't like my solution, come up with a better one (which obviously has to have some concessions to both sides).
    Make Russia bleed until it withdraws back to the 2021 lines of control. Wait for Putin to die and then open talks with his successor about renormalising relations.
    Right, so ... let it bleed.

This does depend on when Putin dies, and who his successor is. Only then does the bleeding stop.

But if Putin is reasonably long-lived and chooses his successor, then your proposal might actually end up maximising the sum total of human misery (Ukrainian & Russian) .
    Well, I could easily think of ways of increasing the misery if you asked me to, but no. I think this situation is inherently misery-inducing and all options are bad. But before we even get there, we have to ask what's possible.

What's not possible:
    1 EU accession as a guarantor of peace
    2 Taking back Ukraine by force without bad consequences
    3 Regime change instigated from outwith without bad consequences

So that leaves:
    4 Sit and hope that Putin changes his mind
    5 Continue to arm the resistance and take an opportunity for a negotiated conclusion if and when a trustworthy Russian leader emerges
    6 Give Ukraine up completely
    7 Pay the Danegeld (have Ukraine sign away occupied areas) and hope the Dane doesn't come back next year (despite Ukraine not being fully defended)

And of uncertain possibility:
    8 Give up chunks of Ukraine and have the rest enter into a formal defence pact (NATO or adjunct)
    Good summary. 8 stands out in a 'least unpleasant person in a roomful of grizzlies' sort of way. If the priority is a settlement anytime soon, that is. Otherwise it's 5. That could be long term best but will likely involve a lot of suffering in the meantime.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Do you think there are any circumstances under which the UK ever could or should launch a nuclear weapon? any circumstances at all?

Yes. Whenever you pop up I yearn for an all-consuming fireball,
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    If the Afghans can maintain a resistance for 20 years despite little external support against the full weight of the US, then Ukrainians can maintain a resistance against a sanctioned Russia with the full resources of the West behind them.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Also, why did he phone him himself , out of the blue, when Lavrov also seems to be out there making all the running on his own steam ?
  • Options

Why did Putin spend 90 minutes on a call with Macron? Sounds like he's very rattled.

Swapping notes on which model of Swedish Penis Pump to buy?
  • Options
    Aslan said:

If the Afghans can maintain a resistance for 20 years despite little external support against the full weight of the US, then Ukrainians can maintain a resistance against a sanctioned Russia with the full resources of the West behind them.

Or defending the West to the last Ukrainian, as its otherwise known
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

SCOOP: Biden is poised to impose sanctions on a number of Russian oligarchs and their families TODAY, sources tell @nwadhams and me.
    The sanctions will be in keeping with EU measures but broader, prohibiting the oligarchs’ travel to US and also targeting their families.

No shortage of 'useful idiots' here fanning the disunited allies meme so beloved of Putin.
    Silence the traitors!

You don’t have a very good understanding of what is best about free and democratic countries have you?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Forget all national vanity etc. Please, FFS, any country out there - vaccinate all the old people, lots and lots of times. It bloody works.
    I do wonder about the 75 year old cut off for the 4th jab in the UK. I haven't been keeping up with the hospitalisation / death demographics, but if my memory serves me correctly somewhere around 60 is when you start to see the ramp up in poor outcomes.
  • Options

Indeed. Although he seems to have taken the opportunity to double down.

This is totally unpredictable.

I’d love to get more of a feeling for opinion inside Russia. All the tweets about bank queues etc struck me as hopeful rather truly descriptive.
  • Options
    felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

That's why I voted Remain.
    making your remark about Brexit look even more dim, then.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Aslan said:

What’s your alternative solution?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Seriously though, its important, should there not be a debate about the UK's nuclear deterrent? Its obvious we would never, ever use it. Why have it?

• Options

Nigelb said:

Not quite.
    Zelensky is committed to Ukraine’s survival as an independent nation, at pre-2014 borders, and as a member of both NATO and the EU.

Perhaps maximalist is the wrong word, I am simply saying that at least for now Zelensky has not signalled any potential compromise position.
    And Zelensky is in the right. To rational people Russia has already lost and has an unwinnable situation on its hands. To Putin and the hardliners types, they will not mentally get there until the situation is rapidly turning against them at an accelerating rate. At that point, every week that goes past will reduce Russian leverage, so we should hold the line until full Ukrainian territory and sovereignty is accepted. That means the right to determine their own foreign policy.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
    Why not examine the underlying question and decide on the merits?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Maybe he is just very lonely and wants a chat with a friend.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Seriously though, its important, should there not be a debate about the UK's nuclear deterrent? Its obvious we would never, ever use it. Why have it?

Is that obvious?
    We’re using it right now. As a deterrent.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Because the existence of it stops the Russians from using theirs.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
    So you haven't really thought about it, you're just shooting the messenger.
    And he has nobody but himself to blame.
  • Options
    UK R

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

LOL

Are you new here?
  • Options

MISTY said:

Aslan said:

What’s your alternative solution?
    Give up to Daddy Vova. The guy is a Russian shill. Probably a different account from the other one that turned up and ran away with his tail between his legs because he was so humiliated.
  • Options

I imagine they spent at least 80 minutes discussing that ABBA comeback before Macron finally signed and said, “Alors, what about this Ukraine sitch, then?”
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Nigelb said:

Not quite.

He's said he's prepared to negotiate terms - but with a cease-fire, and without preconditions. Otherwise he's be in the position of negotiating away his country purely in exchange for a ceasefire.
    He's risked sending government ministers to Belarus (which given Russian treatment of negotiators in the past isn't nothing) to give opportunities for such talks.
  • Options
    Case summary

• Options

I imagine they spent at least 80 minutes discussing that ABBA comeback

Does a French President really want to talk about Waterloo?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,677
    edited March 2022
    Mike, this was also the most LEAVE seat in Birmingham: 63% to 37%.

I don't think it's a shoo-in for Labour.

But Dave Nellist is standing which feels about right for being back in the Cold War days.
  • Options
    Hospitals

• Options
    Deaths

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,065

I imagine they spent at least 80 minutes discussing that ABBA comeback before Macron finally signed and said, “Alors, what about this Ukraine sitch, then?”
    10 mins Chit Chat
    15 mins Ukraine
    20 mins Sanctions
    20 mins Is Boris actually fat or just very muscular
    25 mins Pineapple on pizza, yes or no
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

is it a frailer to vaccinate older people or because the chines vaccine dose not work very well?

that's a questioned, I don't know, it may be a bit of both?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,515
    @nexta_tv⚡️⚡️Zelensky to Putin: Get off our land

"If you don't want to leave now - sit down with me at the negotiating table, I'm free. But not by 30 meters, like with Macron, Scholz - I'm a neighbor! I don't bite. I'm a normal man, sit down with me, talk to me, what are you afraid of?"

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499418527069093890
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098

Leon said:

We may as well accept it, there are no good outcomes to this that don't involve the overthorw of Putin. It may take months or years but the West should keep up the economic pressure on Russia until it happens.

No 'deal' that sees Ukrain giving up part of its territory should be brooked whist Putin is still in charge imo - and 'guarantee' he offers about Ukraine's future will be worthless.

And what if Putin says ‘if I don’t get my way in Ukraine I will nuke Lviv, killing 1m people’

What can we do then? We are not going to all-out nuclear war with Russia over Ukraine. It’s that simple. And Putin knows it, hence his barely veiled threats of nuke war. The menace is present

The big problem with nuclear weapons and the theory of deterrence was the reliance on everyone acting rationally. The unspoken fear was always: what happens if someone mad gets hold of them. We always presumed that meant terrorists, willing to die for religion or whatever

Turns out it’s worse than that. It’s the president of Russia and he has 6,000 warheads, not just 1 in a briefcase

Oh, I quite accept he may for a time get the whole of Ukraine, but there should be no let up on the economic sanctions. From all I have heard the Russian economy cannot last long in the current climate.

Agreeing a settlement with Putin will be a sham, and he will soon be on to the next target.

The Chinese have a role to play here too. Whilst they would have been happy to see the West divided and the US 'knocked off its perch', economic meltdown and, even more, nuclear war does them no good at all. If the west plus China cannot constrain Russia now then we may as well give up, because nothing will.
    I think China will be very satisfied with the situation. Its making them look like the adults in the room, it's giving them a desperate trading partner to sell them lots of cheap gas, and buy lots of manufactured goods, it's weakening a potential future geopolitical rival.
    Chinese have been playing the long game for the past 20 years. And its working out very well for them.
    I doubt they are very comfortable. The west is united like never before and a useful ally is becoming a pariah state. By the way Russia can't just sell the gas to China. All the infrastructure is set up to transport to Europe.
  • Options
    Age related

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

felix said:

And what is your agenda?

The grauniad and facts - interesting topic for debate. Unlike you I've never posted fake Covid stats to make the EU look better that the UK. That one I will never forget.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"This man's just got to go", declared his enemies
    But the ladies begged, "Don't you try to do it, please"
    No doubt this Putin had lots of hidden charms
    Though he was a brute, they just fell into his arms
    Then one night some men of higher standing
    Set a trap, they're not to blame
    "Come to visit us", they kept demanding
    And he really came

Oh, those Russians
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely not...

But is he wrong?
    The odds are very good.
    Because the underlying question is "EU official is moaning about the UK". Well, durr. Of course they are. If we were doing the exact opposite, they would still be moaning, the Guardian would still be reporting it uncritically and Scotty would still be reposting it here...
  • Options
    They speak neither Russian nor Ukrainian, and have no contacts on Ukrainian soil — some had never even heard of the country itself until war broke out.

But a growing number of French nationals are joining Ukraine’s fight against the Russian invasion.

https://bit.ly/35qcyMU
  • Options

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Silence the traitors!

You don’t have a very good understanding of what is best about free and democratic countries have you?
    One good one is to accept and respect a democratic vote - even when it goes against you.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The French, due to cognitive dissonance, believe that song is simply about a history teacher called Napoleon at Waterloo Station and an affair gone sour.

Putin mentioned “Does Your Mother Know?”, and Macron took that to be a jibe at his wife and slammed the phone down.
  • Options
    Exclusive new poll:

- Most Brits (54%) say Johnson should resign
    - Two-thirds (66%) say his war response hasn't changed their view of him
    - 84% didn't go to a party under restrictions
    - 88% didn't socialise at work with colleagues under restrictions

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/polling/2022/03/exclusive-polling-most-brits-still-want-boris-johnson-to-resign
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,027

Excellent point. What if it turns out Putin is actually sane, but has just miscalculated massively?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

@nexta_tv⚡️⚡️Zelensky to Putin: Get off our land

"If you don't want to leave now - sit down with me at the negotiating table, I'm free. But not by 30 meters, like with Macron, Scholz - I'm a neighbor! I don't bite. I'm a normal man, sit down with me, talk to me, what are you afraid of?"

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1499418527069093890

"If you don't want to leave now" ? Is this some sort of miscontextualisation or mistranslation of his story about sitting down together man-to-man, which looks most likely, or something else ?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,260
    ….

Maybe - if so it was likely a puntastic event:

Vlad “this will not be my Waterloo”

Manny “well Vlad let’s see, as the Winner takes it all”

Vlad “ I will send in my Supertroopers”

Manny “we will stop you - Ukraine has sent us an SOS”

Vlad “I don’t care what THEY want, just Gimme Gimme Gimme”

And on ad infinitum……

Sorry….
  • Options
    Aslan said:

As one of the Taliban observed “you may have the watches, but we have the time”.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Silence the traitors!

One good one is to accept and respect a democratic vote - even when it goes against you.
    Another is the right to voice our opinion and questions peacefully without being bullied or disappearing in the night.

Can we at least ask if Dominic Raab has given back the £25K of dirrrrty Putin money yet, without shattering the Western Alliance and blacklisted as Putin’s idiotic helper and traitor?
  • Options

10 mins Chit Chat
    15 mins Ukraine
    20 mins Sanctions
    20 mins Is Boris actually fat or just very muscular
    25 mins Pineapple on pizza, yes or no
    Definitely the later 2 points, after Vlad has been given intelligence reports that the British are extremely split on these issues...apparently based upon reading some obscure betting forum.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    BigRich said:

is it a frailer to vaccinate older people or because the chines vaccine dose not work very well?

that's a questioned, I don't know, it may be a bit of both?
    Both. Their vaccination program has been a complete shambles. They tried to do the 'zero-Covid' thing, with draconian restrictions and quarantines, which worked for a while, but they utterly squandered that potential advantage by failing to vaccinate the vulnerable properly. And they got tangled up in ideologically favouring Chinese vaccines, one at least of which is pretty useless. Now Omicron is ripping through the population and they don't have much immunity.
  • Options
    COVID Summary

- Cases seem to be levelling off for the moment. There is an interesting change in the age profile, with the oldest group going back above one. This is a very small number of people, so it doesn't effect overall R very much. BUT

- The admissions numbers have gone up, as one would expect. Vaccinations help, but these groups are more vulnerable.

- In hospital seems to be returning to a downward trend after the bump around the 28th
    - MV beds likewise
    - Deaths still heading down.

• Options
    MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Farooq said:

MISTY said:

Even if that were a question for debate, right now is about the most stupid time possible to raise it.

What's your reason ?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

And what is your agenda?

That one I will never forget.
    Oh come now felix, this does come across as a little pompous. And I don't think you're really in a position to claim the moral high ground over Scott and neither is your party.

Covid has been tough for everyone and statistics, well, you know what they say about them.
  • Options
    Vladimir Putin being boxed in first by Nick Clegg and now Danny Alexander https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1499420079192256514
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,762
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

The oligarchs stir...

#BREAKING Russian oil giant Lukoil calls for halt to Ukraine war

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1499410431726731271

That feels significant, even hopeful. Russian business people don’t want to end up like starving North Koreans. Nor do they want to die of radiation poisoning
    He might be mad enough to try a Stalinist purge of any of the elite who oppose him.
    No might about it. I am sure he would. He knows that if he falls he is quite unlikely to get a pleasant retirement. He is said to be obsessed with the videos of Gaddafi’s final moments: beaten, sodomised, then butchered.
    Sodomised only with a bayonet, mind.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Silence the traitors!

Another is the right to voice our opinion and questions peacefully without being bullied or disappearing in the night.

Can we at least ask if Dominic Raab has given back the £25K of dirrrrty Putin money yet, without shattering the Western Alliance and blacklisted as Putin’s idiotic helper and traitor?
    Lol - that 'useful idiot' jibe has clearly hit a nerve.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,419

Very odd, becasuse this is completely the opposite direction of travel from Lavrov, both apparently in rhetoric and demands. Either it's the world's highest-stakes game of good-cop-bad-cop, as Luckyguy mentions, or we could be looking at some sort of regime split.

Given the other signs of public dissent here and there, I think it's most likely the latter.

Just trying to confuse us all.
    Putin is just engaging in anchoring.
  • Options
    Reposting this as it got lost in Malmsebury's excellent, but somewhat voluminous, covid update.

On topic: Erdington was also the most LEAVE seat in Birmingham: 63% to 37%.

I don't think it's a shoo-in for Labour.

But Dave Nellist is standing which feels about right for being back in the Cold War days.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

And what is your agenda?

The grauniad and facts - interesting topic for debate. Unlike you I've never posted fake Covid stats to make the EU look better that the UK. That one I will never forget.
    Surely even you can see what an embarrassingly inadequate answer that is?

Here is the story in your publication of choice

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10572679/Fury-Roman-Abramovich-oligarchs-offload-billions-assets-without-facing-sanctions.html

Now: ignoring the Guardian and Scott and me, do you think the UK is lagging in imposing sanctions? If so why do you think this is, and do you think this is a satisfactory state of affairs?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Laughable.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,146
    A depressing and challenging thread. We might be making it WORSE for Ukraine by encouraging resistance, which will be met with annihilation

‘It may sound paradoxical from the outside, but Russia's *tactical defeats* now make *strategic victory* imperative.

To preserve Russia's aspiration to be a superpower, there must be no doubt at the end of the war who the victor was.

It must be Russia. By a crushing margin.’

https://twitter.com/clintehrlich/status/1499282732307779587?s=21

A thread worth reading, even if you despise the thesis
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

And what is your agenda?

I agree Felix, I wouldn’t assume it’s fact.

A legitimate question from opposition benches in parliament though (with government front bench obliged to answer honestly) is it going so slow allowing them to escape their assets before the doors are locked?
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Silence the traitors!

And another £80,000 of Russian dirty money into tory coffers this last month:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-pocket-80000-russian-born-26366943

Stinking dirty tory Russian money
  • Options
    Moldova president signs application to join the European Union, following Georgia and Ukraine

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1499419869409861640
  • Options

Leon said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. Russia can't suddenly replace the EU with China as a market for its gas because there's only one (pretty small) pipe in existence today. They're planning a second, but it would still only be half the capacity of the original Nord Stream, and is due to be ready in 2028 (so probably more like 2030).

So, the idea that Russia can turn on a dime, and switch gas exports to China is for the birds.
This discussion has been closed.