Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A poll lead for the Tories in March? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    eek said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely moment at the start of PMQs

The house all stand and applaud the attendance of Ukraine’s Ambassador

That was lovely to watch, as is the packed house wearing Ukranian colours, including the Speaker.
    Virtue signalling b*ll*cks

As I keep saying, this sort of thing will be on the news in Ukraine tonight.

One man’s virtue signalling b*ll*cks, is another country’s morale-boosting show of support.
    We are clearly afraid of Russia and we don't really want to get involved.

These gestures are to assuage your conscience on that matter. We all know that we are standing around watching a defenceless person getting beaten to a pulp by a bunch of bullies.

IF wearing the Ukrainian flag makes you feel better about that, good for you.
    We are rightly afraid of nuclear war and escalation by a lunatic dictator, but that doesn’t mean we do either all or nothing.

Wearing a Ukranian flag sure as hell makes me feel better, if only as a show of support for my Ukranian wife, her family and friends - some of whom are sleeping in the metro in Kiev at the moment.

Shows of support from overseas matter a lot to the Ukranians at the moment, it’s good for them to see that the whole world is standing behind them and wanting them to succeed.

Thankfully it’s not just words though, the West and NATO have responded admirably, sending plenty of weapons and training to the Ukranians over the past eight years, and happy to keep the military supply lines open now, when they are most needed.
    I apologised to you Sandpit, see my later post.

I think your country is incredibly brave and noble, but I think all this 'standing with Ukraine' from our leaders when we are standing by watching your cities get turned to rubble, is empty gestures to make them feel better about their choices.

No because at the moment there is sod all else we can do that won't result in things escalating seriously badly very quickly.

Because Russia seem to be angling for a fight (which makes little sense given how badly the invasion has gone) the West is having to be very careful when it comes to military matters and spending a lot of time making sure that no theoretical white line is breached that Russia could use as an excuse to escalate things further.
    OK when would you countenance us getting involved?

When the Russians start lining those Ukrainians who are fighting up against the wall?

When the next eastern European country gets invaded?

when a NATO country gets invaded?

When Putin gets to Calais?

When the Russians march up Whitehall?

• Options
    MISTY said:

eek said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

That was lovely to watch, as is the packed house wearing Ukranian colours, including the Speaker.

As I keep saying, this sort of thing will be on the news in Ukraine tonight.

One man’s virtue signalling b*ll*cks, is another country’s morale-boosting show of support.
    We are clearly afraid of Russia and we don't really want to get involved.

These gestures are to assuage your conscience on that matter. We all know that we are standing around watching a defenceless person getting beaten to a pulp by a bunch of bullies.

IF wearing the Ukrainian flag makes you feel better about that, good for you.
    We are rightly afraid of nuclear war and escalation by a lunatic dictator, but that doesn’t mean we do either all or nothing.

Wearing a Ukranian flag sure as hell makes me feel better, if only as a show of support for my Ukranian wife, her family and friends - some of whom are sleeping in the metro in Kiev at the moment.

Shows of support from overseas matter a lot to the Ukranians at the moment, it’s good for them to see that the whole world is standing behind them and wanting them to succeed.

Thankfully it’s not just words though, the West and NATO have responded admirably, sending plenty of weapons and training to the Ukranians over the past eight years, and happy to keep the military supply lines open now, when they are most needed.
    I apologised to you Sandpit, see my later post.

I think your country is incredibly brave and noble, but I think all this 'standing with Ukraine' from our leaders when we are standing by watching your cities get turned to rubble, is empty gestures to make them feel better about their choices.

No because at the moment there is sod all else we can do that won't result in things escalating seriously badly very quickly.

Because Russia seem to be angling for a fight (which makes little sense given how badly the invasion has gone) the West is having to be very careful when it comes to military matters and spending a lot of time making sure that no theoretical white line is breached that Russia could use as an excuse to escalate things further.
    OK when would you countenance us getting involved?

When the Russians start lining those Ukrainians who are fighting up against the wall?

When the next eastern European country gets invaded?

when a NATO country gets invaded?

When Putin gets to Calais?

When the Russians march up Whitehall?

We already are involved, just indirectly through Ukraine as a proxy.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    edited March 2022
    Polruan said:

Blackford making an excellent point and in the right tone

And now a second one. For all that Big Dog beats his chest and says "we are leading", the facts show the opposite. We must do more on freezing dodgy russian money being laundered and more to allow refugees to flee here.

On the latter, that it took 4 attempts for Patel to even open an offer to British resident Ukranians to allow them to have their siblings take refuge with them is a shameful misread of the public mood.
    The facts show that the UK is leading the way, and the whole West is moving forward to the entire West's credit, in sanctions. Sanctions that started off mild are now globally amongst the toughest the world has ever seen.

I agree fully that we should be doing more regarding those fleeing war.
    I don't think the facts really show the UK is leading the way - in some cases we were first to call for certain measures (sometimes including measures whose cost was rather higher for other countries than for the UK); in some we seem to have done more, such as providing military training; in others we've done much less, such as support for refugees. But regardless of the truth of it, I just don't understand the mindset that wants to insist that we are world-leading, or better, or have the best response - why are we engaged in competition with fellow countries at a time where what's needed is solidarity and co-operation? It doesn't achieve anything useful and is likely to undermine our aims by pointlessly annoying other countries.

I realise some of this is just Johnson's technique of concealing lies through vacuous boosterism, but what is wrong with e.g. "we believe we are doing the right thing by not sanctioning these individuals" rather than "we have a world-leading response"?
    We have a world-leading response, except when if affects the City of London, Tory Party finances, or allowing forriners into our country.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Signalling your support for allies who are literally fighting for their freedom matters.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    No they don't. As Darkage says, Putin is probably going to win at, which makes these gestures empty nothings.
    Darkage is wrong.

Your mate Trump who called this genius is wrong too.

These gestures, backed up by hard munitions like NLAWs and hard sanctions on finance etc, absolutely are not empty.
    Tell us a bit about the tactical deployment and battlefield application of NLAWs if you would.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/28/british-anti-tank-weapons-transforming-battlefield-ukraines/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-convoy-blitzed-by-ukrainian-troops-armed-with-brit-anti-tank-weapons/

"empty gestures"
    LOL. Tell us a bit about the tactical deployment and battlefield application of NLAWs.

Edit: and whatever was responsible for that bottom photo it wasn't NLAWs.
    Why do you say that?

I am no expert but ALOW destroys tanks and other armed vehicles, those or Russian Armand vehicles and the Ukrainians have NLAWs supplied by UK.

Can you tell by the type of damage?
    Jeez where to start but OK fair enough. First off, as @Malmesbury notes, all we can see is some charred vehicles. But let's say they are all military vehicles and were destroyed by an opposing action.

The location is a tree-lined street in what looks like a town or city. An NLAW is a stand off weapon and you need clear sight of the target, ie for there to be no, er, obstacles (like trees or houses or parked cars or postboxes or people going to the pub or...or...) in the way. It is not for built up areas because the ranges are too small. Could it have been a zillion NLAWs from all sides zapping the column? Could the NLAWs provided to the Ukrainian army have been deployed for application? Not wholly impossible but overwhelmingly unlikely; the profile of the vehicles in that column scream airborne attack and perhaps just perhaps artillery although you'd have to ask a gunner.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,997

Polruan said:

And now a second one. For all that Big Dog beats his chest and says "we are leading", the facts show the opposite. We must do more on freezing dodgy russian money being laundered and more to allow refugees to flee here.

On the latter, that it took 4 attempts for Patel to even open an offer to British resident Ukranians to allow them to have their siblings take refuge with them is a shameful misread of the public mood.
    The facts show that the UK is leading the way, and the whole West is moving forward to the entire West's credit, in sanctions. Sanctions that started off mild are now globally amongst the toughest the world has ever seen.

I don't think the facts really show the UK is leading the way - in some cases we were first to call for certain measures (sometimes including measures whose cost was rather higher for other countries than for the UK); in some we seem to have done more, such as providing military training; in others we've done much less, such as support for refugees. But regardless of the truth of it, I just don't understand the mindset that wants to insist that we are world-leading, or better, or have the best response - why are we engaged in competition with fellow countries at a time where what's needed is solidarity and co-operation? It doesn't achieve anything useful and is likely to undermine our aims by pointlessly annoying other countries.

I realise some of this is just Johnson's technique of concealing lies through vacuous boosterism, but what is wrong with e.g. "we believe we are doing the right thing by not sanctioning these individuals" rather than "we have a world-leading response"?
    We have a world-leading response, except when if affects the City of London, Tory Party finances, or allowing forriners to into our country.
    City of London is doing it's bit (given the rules it has to operate by) so except Tory Party finances, or allowing (none wealthy) forriners to into our country.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    eek said:

I don't really understand this debate about Ukrainian assylum seekers. We have an assylum system, which offers assylum to people fleeing persecution and war. If someone is fleeing the war in Ukraine, their assylum claim will be successful. I don't understand why we'd have a debate about fruit picking or other schemes.

The issue comes down to the fact that a law abiding Ukrainian cannot get on a flight to the UK without a valid visa (even though they are a refugee). A £25,000 fine per person has an impact on airline decision making.

And at the moment we aren't issuing free visas to Ukrainians we are still charging them £100 / £1000s in visa processing fees.
    Ah, thanks. I had no idea the system was working (in other circumstances) so well! Seems to me like we should be processing the assylum claims in a country bordering Ukraine, but I would not claim to know that that would work.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Ukrainian civilians recover a Tor SAM system pic.twitter.com/Atrljj3zCq
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1499004311908630530
  • Options
    eek said:

if Putin goes ahead and levels Ukraine’s biggest cities and its capital, Kyiv, he and all of his cronies will never again see the London and New York apartments they bought with all their stolen riches. There will be no more Davos and no more St. Moritz. Instead, they will all be locked in a big prison called Russia — with the freedom to travel only to Syria, Crimea, Belarus, North Korea and China, maybe. Their kids will be thrown out of private boarding schools from Switzerland to Oxford.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/opinion/ukraine-russia-putin.html

They don't just have the joys of that limited choice of options. They will also have an open invite to the Hague and some awkward and very painful (sadly only verbally rather than physically) meetings followed by a few to a lot of years in a very small studio flat without cooking facilities.
    Our politicians have goldfish minds EEK. In a few years time, when there's some new real or imagined crisis, the Russians will be back. Money talks, they still have a stack of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TOPPING said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Signalling your support for allies who are literally fighting for their freedom matters.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    No they don't. As Darkage says, Putin is probably going to win at, which makes these gestures empty nothings.
    Darkage is wrong.

These gestures, backed up by hard munitions like NLAWs and hard sanctions on finance etc, absolutely are not empty.
    Tell us a bit about the tactical deployment and battlefield application of NLAWs if you would.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/28/british-anti-tank-weapons-transforming-battlefield-ukraines/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-convoy-blitzed-by-ukrainian-troops-armed-with-brit-anti-tank-weapons/

"empty gestures"
    LOL. Tell us a bit about the tactical deployment and battlefield application of NLAWs.

Why do you say that?

I am no expert but ALOW destroys tanks and other armed vehicles, those or Russian Armand vehicles and the Ukrainians have NLAWs supplied by UK.

Jeez where to start but OK fair enough. First off, as @Malmesbury notes, all we can see is some charred vehicles. But let's say they are all military vehicles and were destroyed by an opposing action.

The location is a tree-lined street in what looks like a town or city. An NLAW is a stand off weapon and you need clear sight of the target, ie for there to be no, er, obstacles (like trees or houses or parked cars or postboxes or people going to the pub or...or...) in the way. It is not for built up areas because the ranges are too small. Could it have been a zillion NLAWs from all sides zapping the column? Could the NLAWs provided to the Ukrainian army have been deployed for application? Not wholly impossible but overwhelmingly unlikely; the profile of the vehicles in that column scream airborne attack and perhaps just perhaps artillery although you'd have to ask a gunner.
    I see @Dura_Ace as always got in there with a pithier explanation.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    eek said:

Polruan said:

We have a world-leading response, except when if affects the City of London, Tory Party finances, or allowing forriners to into our country.
    City of London is doing it's bit (given the rules it has to operate by) so except Tory Party finances, or allowing (none wealthy) forriners to into our country.
    If you are rich enough you are exempt from being classed as forrin.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

An NLAW round is about the size of a cheap dildo. It just can't deliver that level of carnage.

For whatever reason the UK didn't give Ukraine Javelin which has a much bigger warhead and longer range. They got a round of applause instead. NHS staff can sympathise.
    Probably because they wanted both.
    An NLAW requires much less training, and is a lot more portable.

And it's a damn sight more effective than the RPGs they had in 2014.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"
    Exactly, we have done what we could sending Ukraine military supplies before the Russian invasion and our doing all we can do.

President Biden has ruled out sending US troops to Ukraine and imposing a no fly zone and we will not do anything beyond what the US is doing. Namely economic sanctions.

In terms of confronting Russia and China global realpolitik is that we follow the US lead within NATO, even more so now we have left the EU
    Piers Morgan incredibly vociferous on social media about the need to implement a no fly zone, which in his view is risk free as the Russians are all talk.

There is a groundswell of opinion on social media pushing for a no fly zone. It is madness.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"
    Exactly, we have done what we could sending Ukraine military supplies before the Russian invasion and our doing all we can do.

President Biden has ruled out sending US troops to Ukraine and imposing a no fly zone and we will not do anything beyond what the US is doing. Namely economic sanctions.

In terms of confronting Russia and China global realpolitik is that we follow the US lead within NATO, even more so now we have left the EU
    Piers Morgan incredibly vociferous on social media about the need to implement a no fly zone, which in his view is risk free as the Russians are all talk.

There is a groundswell of opinion on social media pushing for a no fly zone. It is madness.
    Just leave them to it. Do something you prefer like going for a walk.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/DevirupaM/status/1499008457021657094

"JUST IN
    Indian ministry of external Affairs spokesperson said that advisory issued by Indian embassy for nationals to leave Kharkiv by 6 p.m. local time was given on "basis of information from Russia" He added that they should take any method to leave, including "on foot"."

Sounds like in just under 3 hours time they're going to unleash all they have.
  • Options

I don't really understand this debate about Ukrainian assylum seekers. We have an assylum system, which offers assylum to people fleeing persecution and war. If someone is fleeing the war in Ukraine, their assylum claim will be successful. I don't understand why we'd have a debate about fruit picking or other schemes.

You can't claim asylum unless you are in the UK. Ukrainians cannot legally enter the UK without a visa. This means you are asking Ukrainians to enter the UK illegally in order to claim asylum - more passengers for the small boats crossing the channel?
    Don't most assylum claimants enter the country 'illegally'? If they entered legally, there would be little need to claim assylum.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Beginning to suspect oligarchs have serious blackmail on Boris Johnson. Complete stonewalling from him ay PMQs on sanctions.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

As more images of Russians turning Ukraine into a pile of rubble flood in, opinion is really going to harden.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,432
    Amongst dogs that did not bark in the night time, one staple we've not heard yet is whether Ukraine's army is being advised by American "consultants".
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

An NLAW round is about the size of a cheap dildo. It just can't deliver that level of carnage.

For whatever reason the UK didn't give Ukraine Javelin which has a much bigger warhead and longer range. They got a round of applause instead. NHS staff can sympathise.

I seem to recall that the US was supplying Javelin?

Given all the other coordination that has been going on about sanctions etc, it doesn't seem exactly impossible that the arms shipments are being organised with a common plan of some kind?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Yep, it probably won't all be NLAW. But two points:

*) Some of the weaponry used in the attack might have been NLAWs. Just not solely. We cannot know.
    *) In a war that will be chewing weapons up faster than soldiers, provision of the the NLAWs might have freed up the weapons that did this.
    Jesus fucking Christ I know that conflicts in distant lands turn all PB posters into a cross between Sun Tzu and Metternich but just look at the fucking picture. How do you suppose an NLAW operates. I don't even know why I am having this discussion. In fact new rule: stop discussing military matters with PB's armchair generals. Go for your life. Great NLAW action.

Tossers.
    For someone who is normally such a big fan of whatabouterism and false equivalence, you seem to be unnecessarily anally retentive today.

I originally wrote "hard munitions like NLAWs" and also "NLAWs and more". Do you know what the word "like" means? Or the word "more"?

I couldn't care less whether this specific destruction was caused by NLAW munitions or A.N.Other munitions.

The only key points that matter are:

1. We are sending them munitions (as are other nations).
    2. They know how to use those munitions.
    3. They work.

That is hard actions, hard firepower and mean Ukraine is not "defenceless".
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Beginning to suspect oligarchs have serious blackmail on Boris Johnson. Complete stonewalling from him ay PMQs on sanctions.

Oligarchs know Boris cheats at tennis when they hand over suitcases full of cash to the Conservative Party.
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

To be frank, I'm comfortable with that. We should aim that such people put down roots here - their children/grandchildren will be wealthy British citizens, and it will all contribute to employment for hundreds.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,863
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

I think the best that can be done is some agreement for a safe corridor and ceasefire to allow people to leave . As painful as it is to see this horrible loss of life and destruction I think some of the public still don’t understand the ramifications of a no fly zone .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    edited March 2022
    It's just occurred that Putin's approaching of killing people in order to 'save' them is exactly the same as many Final Fantasy villains. Now I'm just picturing him as Kefka (ok, admittedly, that was not quite Kefka's approach).
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

Christ have you been buying dildos from Leon again?

The NLAW round is 150mm diameter and has a length of 1m.

And in answer to Toppings comment about the location, it is specifically designed to be used "in densely forested terrain and even building interiors".

https://www.military-today.com/missiles/nlaw.htm

I have no idea if NLAWs did this (does it matter?) but they are certainly capable.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

You can't claim asylum unless you are in the UK. Ukrainians cannot legally enter the UK without a visa. This means you are asking Ukrainians to enter the UK illegally in order to claim asylum - more passengers for the small boats crossing the channel?
    Don't most assylum claimants enter the country 'illegally'? If they entered legally, there would be little need to claim assylum.
    It's rather disingenuous to say "we have an asylum system" and then acknowledge that it's only available to those prepared to try and enter illegally. The direction of policy is to try not to have an asylum system, and it's not really compatible with expressing solidarity with Ukrainian refugees unless separate provision is made for them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

Also, "probably" is not "definitely".

Russia is odds on to (eventually) successfully take Ukraine.

But the cities will be absolute bloodbaths for them. They won't be able to use artillery and rockets, because of the presence of their own soldiers, and the houses and tower blocks will be full of people with anti-tank weapons and rifles.

And let's not forget either that Russia is currently mostly fighting in the much more pro-Russian East of the country. What happens when their supply chains are stretched and they're attacking Lviv? Suddenly Russia has extremely stretched supply chains, while Ukraine does not.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,315
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

No fly zone makes no sense because Ukraine's drones are doing so well.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    IanB2 said:

Nevertheless had the clown wanted to fulfil his dream of being the new Churchill, he would have spent the last few years tirelessly warning us about the dangers of Russia, not encouraging the country to keep on taking their money, and flying off for secret meetings with wealthy Russians.
    He was clearly diligently conducting intelligence on them whilst weakening their finances by accepting the cash. I can't understand why anyone would think differently.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    I suppose misty refuses to go to funerals on the basis that expressing sympathy is virtue-signalling.
    Signalling virtue is not inherently a bad thing. Sometimes it is appropriate to signal one's virtue. Like identifying art, I think we can generally tell when a gesture is an empty bit of self satisfaction and when it is not. Were nothing else going on the actions of the House would be empty, but concrete actions are being taken, even if whether it is enough is debated. So it is not empty.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Unfortunatement I can't make it tonight. I've been at my brother's in Southend the last couple of days and won't be back till late tonight.

You guys all have fun at Smarkets, and don't do anything I wouldn't :lol:
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/DevirupaM/status/1499008457021657094

"JUST IN
    Indian ministry of external Affairs spokesperson said that advisory issued by Indian embassy for nationals to leave Kharkiv by 6 p.m. local time was given on "basis of information from Russia" He added that they should take any method to leave, including "on foot"."

Sounds like in just under 3 hours time they're going to unleash all they have.

Sadly that's possible, maybe more than Possible.

But its also Possible that Russia is trying to invoke Panic, and see giving this sort of info to India and other nations as a way of doing that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

darkage said:

I've not kept up with all the discussions on PB because of work. But two things have come in to my mind.

1. Russia will probably win- in the sense that they will be successful in invading Ukraine. They've advanced through a large part of Ukraine in a week. In any normal circumstances (where the opposing side does not control the narrative about the war) it would look like a cakewalk. The danger is that by focusing on well publicised errors we convince ourselves that Russia aren't going to win. They are, they always were. We shouldn't get too disappointed if they eventually do.

2. The problem will come for Russia when they do win. What then? We established yesterday that support for Pro Russian parties was about 16% in the most recent parliamentary election (2019). By hiving off Crimea and the Donbass, Putin has reduced the part of Ukraine favourable to him to a small minority, and the invasion including the attacks on civilians is hardly going to increase this number. How could that ever be the basis of a legitimate government in Ukraine?

I would say that the military losses, financial sanctions and global isolation are just the very beginning of Putins problems.

Very good post.

If as looks likely if not probable the aim is to enter Kiev and install a puppet government then they are back to Afghan. A huge military presence to subdue a revolting population.

The West might be tempted at that point to sit back and let that situation take its toll. It cannot use NATO-member Poland for any sponsoring of insurgency as that would bring Poland into play and in his current apparent mood Putin might have certain views about that.
    But could Russia actually invade Poland?

It would have far fewer forces, because they'd mostly be tied down in Ukraine. And they would be facing a far better equipped enemy.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,743
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

No fly zone makes no sense because Ukraine's drones are doing so well.
    21st century NATO hardware versus 1980s Soviet hand-me-downs.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

*) Some of the weaponry used in the attack might have been NLAWs. Just not solely. We cannot know.
    *) In a war that will be chewing weapons up faster than soldiers, provision of the the NLAWs might have freed up the weapons that did this.
    Jesus fucking Christ I know that conflicts in distant lands turn all PB posters into a cross between Sun Tzu and Metternich but just look at the fucking picture. How do you suppose an NLAW operates. I don't even know why I am having this discussion. In fact new rule: stop discussing military matters with PB's armchair generals. Go for your life. Great NLAW action.

Tossers.
    For someone who is normally such a big fan of whatabouterism and false equivalence, you seem to be unnecessarily anally retentive today.

I originally wrote "hard munitions like NLAWs" and also "NLAWs and more". Do you know what the word "like" means? Or the word "more"?

I couldn't care less whether this specific destruction was caused by NLAW munitions or A.N.Other munitions.

The only key points that matter are:

1. We are sending them munitions (as are other nations).
    2. They know how to use those munitions.
    3. They work.

That is hard actions, hard firepower and mean Ukraine is not "defenceless".
    Yes that is true we went down a little rabbit hole there. Perhaps I was triggered (geddit). However the episode does show as if we didn't already know how "fake news" can take on a life of its own. The preponderance of military strategists on the internet (and hosting radio programmes) is very dangerous.

The increasingly important issue is what happens if/when Russia occupies Ukraine. Because then the supply of munitions becomes a whole lot more problematic. By air? Well it will be "Russian airspace" by then; by land ie Poland? There is a cassus belli for the Russians right there to take action against (NATO member) Poland and who today thinks Putin certainly wouldn't.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,315
    RTÉ interviewing someone from Moscow expecting a Ukrainian counter-offensive this week, because the Russian offensive has been so weak.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    TOPPING said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

Minimum range for an NLAW is about 20m isn't it? And can be fired from a house. Surely ideal for insurgency? Javelins do have to be farther away because they actually fly a looped trajectory in order to hit the tank from above rather than just having a downward exploding charge. I assume that's why we sent the NLAWs, particularly as they are lighter and cheaper.

The trigger appears to be magnetic so you wouldn't want any metal objects in the way, but you could definitely hit a tank with one from an empty side street.

Still, there's going to be plenty of misinformation out there, and there's definitely a campaign to make it look like every urban street is a potential death trap for any sort of vehicle. It might have been a drone that they want to pretend they don't have.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

I seem to recall that the US was supplying Javelin?

Given all the other coordination that has been going on about sanctions etc, it doesn't seem exactly impossible that the arms shipments are being organised with a common plan of some kind?
    No, it was all done in something of a mad panic.
    If there'd been any serious plan prior to the invasion, we'd have supplied a lot more kit a lot sooner.

As an aside, the manufacturer claims it is effective in built up areas, with a minimum range of 20m.
    https://www.saab.com/products/nlaw

Doesn't invalidate what Topping says, other than perhaps the bit about where it can be used.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

As more images of Russians turning Ukraine into a pile of rubble flood in, opinion is really going to harden.
    So people in the UK can share that rubble-living experience with Ukraine...

Pillocks. No Fly Zone = War With Russia which may or may not = Mutually Assured Destruction. Whilst it is tempting to say "C'mon down!" to a scenario which has Piers Morgan vaporised in a millionth of a second, I'd prefer something somewhat slower for him - and which his pain receptors have time to process....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

It is and also absurd from Morgan given how opposed he was to the 2003 Iraq War which toppled the brutal dictator Saddam Hussein.

The original goal of that war was to stop Saddam getting weapons of mass destruction, Putin already has weapons of mass destruction
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. kle4, FFVI is almost the only one of the series I've never played...

*sighs*
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

Also, "probably" is not "definitely".

Russia is odds on to (eventually) successfully take Ukraine.

But the cities will be absolute bloodbaths for them. They won't be able to use artillery and rockets, because of the presence of their own soldiers, and the houses and tower blocks will be full of people with anti-tank weapons and rifles...
    They can work that out, too.
    See Syria.

Putin is quite capable of ordering that.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675

eek said:

Polruan said:

To be frank, I'm comfortable with that. We should aim that such people put down roots here - their children/grandchildren will be wealthy British citizens, and it will all contribute to employment for hundreds.
    You’re not bothered then with the question of how they became very rich?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Your second point is an excellent one, and really emphasises the importance of keeping weapons (and other supplies) flowing to the Ukraine. There's also a question about the extent to which the Russian arms industry requires components from the rest of the world.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Notable at PMQs that Boris has adopted the American pronunciation of Putin as Pootin, as opposed to Pewtin which is generally used in Britain. Starmer too.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

darkage said:

I've not kept up with all the discussions on PB because of work. But two things have come in to my mind.

1. Russia will probably win- in the sense that they will be successful in invading Ukraine. They've advanced through a large part of Ukraine in a week. In any normal circumstances (where the opposing side does not control the narrative about the war) it would look like a cakewalk. The danger is that by focusing on well publicised errors we convince ourselves that Russia aren't going to win. They are, they always were. We shouldn't get too disappointed if they eventually do.

2. The problem will come for Russia when they do win. What then? We established yesterday that support for Pro Russian parties was about 16% in the most recent parliamentary election (2019). By hiving off Crimea and the Donbass, Putin has reduced the part of Ukraine favourable to him to a small minority, and the invasion including the attacks on civilians is hardly going to increase this number. How could that ever be the basis of a legitimate government in Ukraine?

I would say that the military losses, financial sanctions and global isolation are just the very beginning of Putins problems.

Very good post.

If as looks likely if not probable the aim is to enter Kiev and install a puppet government then they are back to Afghan. A huge military presence to subdue a revolting population.

The West might be tempted at that point to sit back and let that situation take its toll. It cannot use NATO-member Poland for any sponsoring of insurgency as that would bring Poland into play and in his current apparent mood Putin might have certain views about that.
    I suspect more like Iraq than Afghanistan. Russia could set up a Green Zone, including puppet government, in Kyiv, and a few other bases, but everywhere else is contested.

They also have a decision to make about West Ukraine. If they don't control that their western flank will be exposed and Poland is at one remove.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

TOPPING said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

Minimum range for an NLAW is about 20m isn't it? And can be fired from a house. Surely ideal for insurgency? Javelins do have to be farther away because they actually fly a looped trajectory in order to hit the tank from above rather than just having a downward exploding charge. I assume that's why we sent the NLAWs, particularly as they are lighter and cheaper.

The trigger appears to be magnetic so you wouldn't want any metal objects in the way, but you could definitely hit a tank with one from an empty side street.

Still, there's going to be plenty of misinformation out there, and there's definitely a campaign to make it look like every urban street is a potential death trap for any sort of vehicle. It might have been a drone that they want to pretend they don't have.
    You could certainly hit a tank from an empty side street but the profile of the destruction of those vehicles is not from an NLAW. You would have needed zillions of them.

And yes noted ( @Richard_Tyndall also) about their applicability to fight in more enclosed areas. That particular photo to me overwhelmingly says the damage was not caused by NLAWs.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, FFVI is almost the only one of the series I've never played...

*sighs*

Played it a few months ago - it holds up pretty well (not that I played it when it came out, but some years later)
  • Options

MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Pillocks. No Fly Zone = War With Russia which may or may not = Mutually Assured Destruction. Whilst it is tempting to say "C'mon down!" to a scenario which has Piers Morgan vaporised in a millionth of a second, I'd prefer something somewhat slower for him - and which his pain receptors have time to process....
    If you are afraid of Russia pushing the nuclear button now, as you clearly are, then you will never oppose Russia.

Not in Ukraine. Not in Poland. Not in Germany. Not even in Kent.

Don't worry. They get that. That's why the are in Ukraine, doing whatever they want. Because they know you are afraid and you will never fight back.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

eek said:

Polruan said:

Some people in life cheer the under dog. For some reason a small proportion of society seem to have contempt for anyone struggling and are overly impressed with money and status.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    A Russian soldier surrendered. Ukrainians gave him tea, food, and let him call his mother on video. I want to cry from how much I love my country.

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1499012600826322946
  • Options
    Polruan said:

It's rather disingenuous to say "we have an asylum system" and then acknowledge that it's only available to those prepared to try and enter illegally. The direction of policy is to try not to have an asylum system, and it's not really compatible with expressing solidarity with Ukrainian refugees unless separate provision is made for them.
    I don't know whether that is the direction of policy, but I think it's patronising, unjust and mendacious in the extreme to suggest that those in Britain who believe the immigration system has been too lax, do not want us to provide asylum to those with a valid claim.

It has always been abuse of the asylum system by those migrating for economic reasons that people have had an issue with. They want politicians to get a grip on those abuses, not to stop people genuinely fleeing for their lives claiming asylum. Artificially conflating the two seems to be just a way of silencing legitimate concerns in a wave of moral indignation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Your second point is an excellent one, and really emphasises the importance of keeping weapons (and other supplies) flowing to the Ukraine. There's also a question about the extent to which the Russian arms industry requires components from the rest of the world.
    The Russian machine tool industry folded up and went bye bye. Very dependent on Western CNC and the like. Even for the actual tools - which get used up at a rate of knots. The Chinese are very good on the cheap end of that market, but for reliability and precision....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

It would have far fewer forces, because they'd mostly be tied down in Ukraine. And they would be facing a far better equipped enemy.
    True and the alternatives therefore are pretty grisly to contemplate.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

Unfortunatement I can't make it tonight. I've been at my brother's in Southend the last couple of days and won't be back till late tonight.

You guys all have fun at Smarkets, and don't do anything I wouldn't :lol:

That's quite restrictive Sunil!

(Shame you can't be there)
  • Options
    A perfect metaphor for Russia's self destructive actions.

https://twitter.com/francska1/status/1498998487324807168
    "Here's our response to American sanctions! We don't fear you! We'll live without your nice 'pretty' things!"

.. takes hammer to his iPad.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited March 2022
    FF43 said:

Knowing what we know about him and knowing what we know about them, this is far far higher than a trivial probability.

It's one of the key reasons why he was always an unfit person to lead our great country.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

If you are afraid of Russia pushing the nuclear button now, as you clearly are, then you will never oppose Russia.

Don't worry. They get that. That's why the are in Ukraine, doing whatever they want. Because they know you are afraid and you will never fight back.

You seem to be struggling to understand that the world is fighting back.

We're just fighting back in a smart manner. What's more - we're fighting back in a successful manner too.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    edited March 2022
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Somebody needs to make the point that the UK could not enforce a no fly zone in any event.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

I suspect more like Iraq than Afghanistan. Russia could set up a Green Zone, including puppet government, in Kyiv, and a few other bases, but everywhere else is contested.

They also have a decision to make about West Ukraine. If they don't control that their western flank will be exposed and Poland is at one remove.
    Which of course would beg the question we're already asking - why bother.

And do we really think Putin's game plan is to have an inkspot strategy in Ukraine. Not what all that armour says.

Intriguing for military historians in time to come.
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

Most of our own aristocrats became rich by stealing cows, driving peasants off common land, or giving handjobs to Charles II.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

The West has said that once NATO territory gets invaded, all bets are off. We are in, lock stock and barrel.

Now look at how the West is acting in Ukraine.

Do you believe our leaders? Or will they look for an excuse not to commit? Leave the Poles to themselves while we cheer from the sidelines and worry about nuclear war?

OOh and triple secret sanctions, this time.

• Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

Sanctioning oligarchs in the UK will make little practical difference. The point is that it is an easy win for a UK government that doesn't have huge scope to actually make a difference.

It raises the question why Johnson should be so set against. He is doing inactivity very masterfully at the moment (attending Ukrainian church services, pontificating in Poland etc). So why not crack down on Russian oligarchs?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    But Owen, it isn’t a “war”

Everyone posting of pictures of Prisoners of War on social media needs to stop.

Doing so risks breaching the Geneva Convention, which protects POWs from "public curiosity".

Ukraine's resistance against Russian aggression is righteous: there's no need to cross these red lines.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1499016352711028742
  • Options
    MISTY said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

The West has said that once NATO territory gets invaded, all bets are off. We are in, lock stock and barrel.

Do you believe our leaders? Or will they look for an excuse not to commit? Leave the Poles to themselves while we cheer from the sidelines and worry about nuclear war?

How do you think the West is acting in Ukraine?

The West is reacting with overwhelming strength of purpose in Ukraine which is defeating your mate Putin.

You can keep sharing PJohnson's lies that Ukraine may as well surrender, but the rest of us won't believe it.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

The West has also categorically said they won't get involved directly in the defence of Ukraine. They are trying to without doing so. Would they leave the Poles to themselves? Not sure. Perhaps.
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

Most of our own aristocrats became rich by stealing cows, driving peasants off common land, or giving handjobs to Charles II.
    I’m up for confiscating the aristocracy’s wealth.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,453

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Somebody needs to make the point that the UK could not enforce a no fly zone in any event.
    I don't think people fully understand what a no-fly zone is. It sounds a lot more passive than it actually is. It's basically a declaration of war.
    It may be that that is what people really want. But in most cases I think they think a no-fly zone is little more than a UN resolution.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,236
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

It is and also absurd from Morgan given how opposed he was to the 2003 Iraq War which toppled the brutal dictator Saddam Hussein.

The original goal of that aim was to stop Saddam getting weapons of mass destruction, Putin already has weapons of mass destruction
    The problem with the Iraq war was it was unnecessary and prosecuted on the back of a lie.

There is every justification to go to war with Russia because they have invaded a neighbouring sovereign nation. It would be wholly legal. The only fly in the ointment is Putin is threatening nuclear Armageddon and the considered wisdom he would be quite content to act on his threat.

You have been banging on for days that NATO have no legitimate authority to challenge Russia over their invasion of Ukraine. You have gone further and suggested their is no moral or political imperative to act in the event of an invasion of Poland.

You are wrong about both the moral and political legitimately of NFYs, but you are probably correct that the implications of challenging Putin would be too horrific to comprehend.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

You could certainly hit a tank from an empty side street but the profile of the destruction of those vehicles is not from an NLAW. You would have needed zillions of them.

And yes noted ( @Richard_Tyndall also) about their applicability to fight in more enclosed areas. That particular photo to me overwhelmingly says the damage was not caused by NLAWs.
    And the linked story didn't say it was, either... " the ambush - said to have been carried out by troops armed with NLAW missile launchers.
    Artillery and drone strikes are also thought to have been deployed in the attack".

Someone googled it to make a point, and triggered you.

There's better reporting on selected bits of Twitter than in quite a lot of mainstream media.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Which is of course the crux of the dilemma that the West may face.
  • Options

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

There is a groundswell of opinion on social media for all sorts of wrong or poorly thought out ideas......often led by Piers Moron.
    Piers Morgan is a national treasure. Always wrong is a valuable skill.
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

Plenty of them also got their titles from being good knights and military commanders, right up to the Duke of Marlborough.

However regardless of how they became rich they and their families are entitled to keep it in any society based on the rule of law
  • Options

Doing so risks breaching the Geneva Convention, which protects POWs from "public curiosity".

Ukraine's resistance against Russian aggression is righteous: there's no need to cross these red lines.

As breaches go it is one of the less egregious, I dare say thus far they are not in danger of losing moral high ground!
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

I'm not. I think you get more flies with honey, and I believe in creating a system which gently but inexorably encourages the very wealthy to become givers and responsibility takers in society. Remember that the robber barons of centuries past did become the gentry, ending up employing all those people and taking active responsibility for the communities that they were part of.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

And do we really think Putin's game plan is to have an inkspot strategy in Ukraine. Not what all that armour says.

I think Putin believed his own bullshit. He thought that - particularly in Eastern Ukraine - that his soldiers would be welcomed as liberators.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

I don't think people fully understand what a no-fly zone is. It sounds a lot more passive than it actually is. It's basically a declaration of war.
    It may be that that is what people really want. But in most cases I think they think a no-fly zone is little more than a UN resolution.
    Yes, the means of actually enforcing it actually would be an escalation between Russia and non-Ukrainians, as opposed to the sorts of things Russia calls escalation normally.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Polruan said:

Plenty of them also got their titles from being good knights and military commanders, right up to the Duke of Marlborough.

However regardless of how they became rich they and their families are entitled to keep it in any society based on the rule of law
    I agree totally.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2022

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

There is a groundswell of opinion on social media for all sorts of wrong or poorly thought out ideas......often led by Piers Moron.
    The UK are saving our best weapon of misinformation in case the financial sanctions don't cause enough panic in Russia....step forward Prof Robert Peston.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Thinking alowed now, rather than proposing this, but,

Could we start a 'No Fly Zone', over the western part of Ukraine,

Officerly to protect refugees, but also to allow us to fly weapons more directly to Ukraine rather than having to derive all the way form Poland?

Would that trigger a response? at the moment most of the Russian planes seem to be in the east or centre. Putin might look silly if he tyres to shoot down UK planes but doesn't have the ability?

Then we could slowly/incrementally move the edge east?

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,453
    I quite like Yahoo finance. I find it well laid out and easily digestible. But the downside to it is the headlines. Often, you will get headlines (FTSE crashes as...) which are completely belied by the well-laid out figures immediately above (showing, for example, a slight rise in the FTSE after an initially poor start to the day). Today we have the other sort of puzzling headline in which cause and effect are heavily implied in a way which doesn't seem to make sense: "Stock markets rise as Biden declares Putin 'dictator'". Technically it is true, but it is inviting you to draw an inference of cause and effect which can't possibly be there.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

BigRich said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Why do you say that?

And the linked story didn't say it was, either... " the ambush - said to have been carried out by troops armed with NLAW missile launchers.
    Artillery and drone strikes are also thought to have been deployed in the attack".

Someone googled it to make a point, and triggered you.

There's better reporting on selected bits of Twitter than in quite a lot of mainstream media.
    It was like I was back at Netheravon...

And yes but it's like the advertising thing isn't it. 50% of it is great, the problem is...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Polruan said:

If you become rich through kleptocracy and war crimes, you are not entitled to keep your riches in a society based on the rule of law.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,448

Since it was used as an epithet to that Kabul strike 'righteous' gives a little nausea.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

The media really does have a responsibility to explain what this would mean. Not just the “we’d be at each with Russia” bit but also the “the U.K. can’t implement such a thing alone, and neither can any other country save the US” bit,
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

As far as I can tell - and I am absolutely not an expert - Putin has three strategic aims for Ukraine:
    1. Keep Ukraine in
    2. Keep the West out
    3. Don't allow a Ukrainian identity independent of Russia
    It looks like he's already gone backwards on all three aims with this invasion. To the extent Putin is addressing a perceived problem with this invasion, it was a problem of Putin's own creation. Twenty years ago you could plausibly claim, as Putin did then and still does now, that Ukraine isn't a proper country. Putin has helped to make it one.

Unfortunately Putin losing (in these terms) doesn't mean Ukraine winning on what it wants.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

The original goal of that aim was to stop Saddam getting weapons of mass destruction, Putin already has weapons of mass destruction
    The problem with the Iraq war was it was unnecessary and prosecuted on the back of a lie.

There is every justification to go to war with Russia because they have invaded a neighbouring sovereign nation. It would be wholly legal. The only fly in the ointment is Putin is threatening nuclear Armageddon and the considered wisdom he would be quite content to act on his threat.

You have been banging on for days that NATO have no legitimate authority to challenge Russia over their invasion of Ukraine. You have gone further and suggested their is no moral or political imperative to act in the event of an invasion of Poland.

You are wrong about both the moral and political legitimately of NFYs, but you are probably correct that the implications of challenging Putin would be too horrific to comprehend.
    Iraq wasn't on the back of a lie, nor was it illegal. The Iraq War was legally approved and justified by UN Security Council Resolution 687.

The idea that Iraq had WMDs was not a lie, except in a way it was deliberate misinformation from the Saddam Hussein regime.

The Hussein regime deliberately created ambiguity as to whether they had WMDs. They wanted it to simultaneously be unable to be proven that they did, while simultaneously wanting people to believe that they did (and be afraid of them).

It served Saddam's purposes to have his local enemies think that he had WMDs and was willing to use them so that they couldn't challenge him.

It was an intelligence failing not to realise that Iraq had removed all their WMDs, but it was a failing the Iraqis wanted the world to have until it led to the invasion.
  • Options

eek said:

Polruan said:

I'm not. I think you get more flies with honey, and I believe in creating a system which gently but inexorably encourages the very wealthy to become givers and responsibility takers in society. Remember that the robber barons of centuries past did become the gentry, ending up employing all those people and taking active responsibility for the communities that they were part of.
    So, if the great-great-great-great grandkids of the Russian oligarchs employ a few servants, it doesn’t matter how those oligarchs got rich and there’s no problem with giving them visas?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

There can be no UN resolution backing action against Russia afyer its invasion of Ukraine as there was when Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990 as Russia would veto it as a permanent member of the UN Security Council.

That therefore only leaves NATO as the international body able to act against it, as it did in Kosovo in 1999 for instance when Russia vetoed action against Serbia. However NATO is a defensive alliance that will only act militarily if one of its own members us attacked, that could include Poland, it excludes non NATO Ukraine.

In terms of nuclear weapons only France, the UK and USA within NATO actually have them and they would likely only use them if Russia launched nuclear missiles on their own cities in self defence or possibly if they themselves were under threat of Russian invasion

• Options
    edited March 2022
    MISTY said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

darkage said:

Very good post.

Actually I'd have agreed with you a proper military response was actually unlikely in that situation, were it not for what is happening. How the West is acting in Ukraine, with actually heavy sanctions and rapid deployment of materials to Ukraine, a non-NATO member, shows them much more willing to act than I would have thought.

So actually I do believe our leaders on this, for precisely the reason you seem to think they wouldn't act - Ukraine.
  • Options

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Sandpit said:

Bullshit.

Morale matters.

Symbolism matters.
    Darkage is wrong.

"empty gestures"

Jesus, you are an insufferable twat.

They are in Ukraine because they have a madman determined to leave his mark on history. He will stop at Ukraine because....NATO. Meanwhile, we just let his country crumble from the inside out. Sanctions. And weaponry that keeps his shitty underpowered army bogged down.

Fuck off. Please. Just fuck right off.
    No - he/she (they?!) have to stay. It is a very good logic check to have such issues raised.

If Putin invades Poland, say, that is very very likely it, the end, MAD. Now, we might easily say it's worth all dying in order to maintain whatever principle we went into the game with but it is useful for all of us to ponder these questions.
This discussion has been closed.