Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why those wanting an EU referendum shouldn’t pin their hope

13»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    This sums up Cook's captaincy:

End of over 46 (3 runs) Australia 260/9 (41 runs required from 24 balls

"Cook manically moving around his field as they need to keep the runs down, despite having just one wicket to get"

1 wicket to take. And he is worried about restricting:

Ridiculous.
  • Neil said:

Ipsos Mori Changes

Lab 39 (+2)

Con 33 (-3)

LD 13 (+4)

UKIP 11 (+1)

We need the leader ratings!!! ;)
    I know.

I'm assuming a big swing to Ed, and no Ed/Nick crossover.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,450
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Imagine 20 years ago you had told Conservative voters that in 2014 we would have a Prime Minister who was fiercely determined to stay inthe EU, raise the minimum wage, introduce gay marriage...

I wonder how many would have thought it would be a Conservative?

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Many would. The Conservative Party has always been a broad church. Ask any Labour supporter from the 1960, 1970s or 1980s about PFI and most of New Labour's policies - they would not think they are 'Labour' in any shape or form.

Times change. The public change, and political parties have to try to mirror those social changes.

If the Cosnervatives are getting rid of the loonies (and I would count anyone who is now against gay marriage as a loony), then so be it.

Let them sink in their own cesspool of filth.
    Judging by polling, most people who voted Conservative in 2010 opposed gay marriage. Are you really saying the Conservatives should wish to get rid of such voters?

I'm not saying anything of the sort.

What I'm saying is that people who are now against gay marriage are, in my opinion, pretty loony. We've had civil partnerships, and now gay marriage, and society has not ended.

It's time to move on. I've been on my own journey on this subject: I was against civil partnerships when they first came in (so was one of my gay friends, strangely enough), but I changed my mind as i talked to more people.

Perhaps I've had one too many conversation with anti-gay marriage people that's descended into blatant homophobia.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,724
    Miliband torpedoing George Osborne with one single master-stroke

`Deficit reduction alone is not a vision for the country`.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439

Neil said:

Ipsos Mori Changes

Lab 39 (+2)

Con 33 (-3)

LD 13 (+4)

UKIP 11 (+1)

We need the leader ratings!!! ;)
    I know.

I'm assuming a big swing to Ed, and no Ed/Nick crossover.
    Need Labour to keep a lead till the year end. Would b no good to me for them to lose it now. Swingback WILL happen, nigh on convinced of that - but it is the extent to which Labour can delay it - preferably not seeing 'true' equality in the polls till ~ March 2015 that'll keep me happy as essentially a CON majority layer !
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,245
    Lennon said:

Another winning bet, just saying....

Given your current form, I don't suppose you fancy backing the Magpies against Allardyce's mob this weekend?
    Vic Reeves (up against Lawro's Football Focus predictions) has them winning 12-0, though the one that really made me laugh was his prediction that Man U would win 20-2 at Chelsea.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    RodCrosby said:

Sean_F said:

It's not inconceivable that Labour could win an overall majority on 28% of the vote, in a four-way contest.

Pretty unlikely under FPTP. Impossible under PR^2...
    Forgive my ignorance, but I must have missed a previous post a few days ago, what is PR squared?
  • DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    SMukesh said:

No, but it is a vision for the economy.
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Imagine 20 years ago you had told Conservative voters that in 2014 we would have a Prime Minister who was fiercely determined to stay inthe EU, raise the minimum wage, introduce gay marriage...

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

Many would. The Conservative Party has always been a broad church. Ask any Labour supporter from the 1960, 1970s or 1980s about PFI and most of New Labour's policies - they would not think they are 'Labour' in any shape or form.

Times change. The public change, and political parties have to try to mirror those social changes.

If the Cosnervatives are getting rid of the loonies (and I would count anyone who is now against gay marriage as a loony), then so be it.

Judging by polling, most people who voted Conservative in 2010 opposed gay marriage. Are you really saying the Conservatives should wish to get rid of such voters?

People who aren't in favour of gay marriage are Loonies who should sink in a Cesspit of filth... Righto
    It's the kind of comment that does make me think the Conservatives are doomed. By all means, support gay marriage. But, there's no need to insult your own supporters.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that I'm a Conservative. Don't worry, plenty of people make the same mistake.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Quincel said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I must have missed a previous post a few days ago, what is PR squared?

A electoral system where seats are awarded in proportion to the squares of the votes....
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Dear Smuckers. Still think retail sales are a barometer for how people are feeling about the government???

Still gloating about how the supermarkets are doing, are we??

ROFL.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    edited January 2014

Lennon said:

Given your current form, I don't suppose you fancy backing the Magpies against Allardyce's mob this weekend?
    Yes, I will be backing West Ham to lose has been very profitable for me, that shellacking they took at the Etihad last week was soooo profitable.

I also have backed them to be relegated.
    Much appreciated... :-)

After the scandal of Tiote's goal against City last week we could do with some luck going our way.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Carnyx, that seems bonkers. I'd be very worried that the cheque would go missing in the post.

More competition is best fostered by cutting regulation, which is a non-issue for enormous banks but difficult for smaller ones trying to start up.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Welease the weckoning !

• isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Neil said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

People who aren't in favour of gay marriage are Loonies who should sink in a Cesspit of filth... Righto
    It's the kind of comment that does make me think the Conservatives are doomed. By all means, support gay marriage. But, there's no need to insult your own supporters.

Seems like the kids that were bullied at school are now bullies themselves

Maybe that was always their ambition
    Sorry, bullies / bullying, what are you going on about?!
    Who's talking to you?!

just kidding

On this occasion I'm talking about some pro gay marriage people's attitude to people who arent in favour of gay marriage... They often use the language of rampant homophobes to describe anyone who disagrees with them on the subject

I don't see many people saying homosexuals that marry are sinking in a cesspit of filth for instance

But it works for many groups that were minorities that become the establishment, just as many kids that were picked on at school become bullies when they are older
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277
    According to the Standard, the Tories are on 30% with Labour's lead now 9%.
    taffys said:

Dear Smuckers. Still think retail sales are a barometer for how people are feeling about the government???

Still gloating about how the supermarkets are doing, are we??

ROFL.

Aah...I may have been right or wrong about that...Let`s wait for the GDP figures shall we?

Luckily I don`t control the country`s finances so it doesn`t make even a tiny bit of difference to anyone what I think about Christmas sales.
    Brilliant speech by Miliband.
  • DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    SMukesh said:

He had a speech? Sorry, was too busy cooing over the new royal baby to notice

;-)

SMukesh said:

He is all talk. His hollow bribes may be popular with some though.

• FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    SMukesh said:

Yep, fair play. There's already talk of HSBC moving their business to the Far East.

Impressive impact.

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Who's talking to you?!

just kidding

On this occasion I'm talking about some pro gay marriage people's attitude to people who arent in favour of gay marriage... They often use the language of rampant homophobes to describe anyone who disagrees with them on the subject

I don't see many people saying homosexuals that marry are sinking in a cesspit of filth for instance

But it works for many groups that were minorities that become the establishment, just as many kids that were picked on at school become bullies when they are older
    Hmmm. May I suggest you read up on the history of homosexuality in this country, and try to work out who the real bullies have been?

(And yes, as I said below, I've been on my own journey on this).
    edited January 2014
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Who's talking to you?!

just kidding

Wasn't that exactly what James Anderton, former Chief Constable of Manchester said about homosexuals some 25 years ago?
    norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 1m
    The choice at next election on the economy is between "a big reckoning or steady as she goes" says @Ed_Miliband

Is this wise ?
  • Ed Miliband has a net rating (% satisfied minus % dissatisfied) of -22. 31% are satisfied with his performance as Labour leader, while 53% are dissatisfied. Half (50%) of Labour supporters are satisfied with his performance, while 40% are dissatisfied, giving him a net rating of +10.

Nick Clegg has a net rating of -28, steady from -29 last month; 29% are satisfied with his performance as Deputy Prime Minister, 57% dissatisfied. Among Liberal Democrats his net rating is +20; 55% are satisfied, 35% dissatisfied.

David Cameron has a net rating of -14, in line with last month. 39% are satisfied with his performance as Prime Minister, while 53% are dissatisfied. Among Conservative supporters his net rating is at +63; 79% are satisfied, 16% dissatisfied.

Nigel Farage’s net rating is at -2; 35% are satisfied in his performance as UKIP leader, with 37% dissatisfied. Among UKIP supporters his net rating is at +89; 94% are satisfied, 5% dissatisfied.

http://ipsos-mori.co.uk/researchpublications/researcharchive/3332/Hung-parliaments-seen-as-bad-for-the-country-but-half-still-expect-another-coalition-in-2015.aspx
    edited January 2014
    @ThomasNashe @JossiaJessop

Yes you are making my point for me

"history" "25 years ago" "isn't that what..( a homophobic bully?) said?"
  • Ipsos MORI ‏@IpsosMORI 1m

#Conservative voters more likely to favour a coalition with #LibDems than #UKIP in 2015

http://bit.ly/1fEFOyk

pic.twitter.com/yacx0IYgWR
  • Leadership ratings changes

Dave minus 1

Ed plus 3

Clegg plus 1

Farage plus 3
    Fenster said:

SMukesh said:

Yep, fair play. There's already talk of HSBC moving their business to the Far East.

Impressive impact.

Does that mean that the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank are likely to be operating in ... Hong Kong and Shanghai?
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Lennon said:

Vic Reeves (up against Lawro's Football Focus predictions) has them winning 12-0, though the one that really made me laugh was his prediction that Man U would win 20-2 at Chelsea.
    Don't diss Mystic Vic. In 1986 Reeves predicted West Ham would beat the barcodes 8-1 with Alvin Martin scoring a hat-trick against three different Newcastle keepers. And it happened.
    isam said:

I think you should get out of the hole instead of continuing digging.
    Norman Smith picks up on the key issue of the speech.

Miliband is seeking to define `Cost of Living` as not about wages exceeding inflation etc. but about the middle and working class worrying about their jobs,incomes,pensions and about where the next generation of jobs for their children is going to come from.

Ipsos MORI ‏@IpsosMORI 1m

#Conservative voters more likely to favour a coalition with #LibDems than #UKIP in 2015

http://bit.ly/1fEFOyk

pic.twitter.com/yacx0IYgWR

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer?

Ed Miliband has a net rating (% satisfied minus % dissatisfied) of -22. 31% are satisfied with his performance as Labour leader, while 53% are dissatisfied. Half (50%) of Labour supporters are satisfied with his performance, while 40% are dissatisfied, giving him a net rating of +10.

Nick Clegg has a net rating of -28, steady from -29 last month; 29% are satisfied with his performance as Deputy Prime Minister, 57% dissatisfied. Among Liberal Democrats his net rating is +20; 55% are satisfied, 35% dissatisfied.

David Cameron has a net rating of -14, in line with last month. 39% are satisfied with his performance as Prime Minister, while 53% are dissatisfied. Among Conservative supporters his net rating is at +63; 79% are satisfied, 16% dissatisfied.

Nigel Farage’s net rating is at -2; 35% are satisfied in his performance as UKIP leader, with 37% dissatisfied. Among UKIP supporters his net rating is at +89; 94% are satisfied, 5% dissatisfied.

http://ipsos-mori.co.uk/researchpublications/researcharchive/3332/Hung-parliaments-seen-as-bad-for-the-country-but-half-still-expect-another-coalition-in-2015.aspx

The leader ratings among supporters are surely a big indicator of certainty to vote, no?
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ed Miliband has invited the electorate to take revenge on big capitalism for 2008.

Its up to the government to show voters between now and 2015 that capitalism can work for them.

No wonder GO wants to raise the minimum wage.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Fenster said:

SMukesh said:

Impressive impact.

Does that mean that the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank are likely to be operating in ... Hong Kong and Shanghai?
    There has been talk of HSBC relocating for years. I think they said last year they had decided to drop it from immediate consideration. The only recent mention I can find from googling is from a city analyst who doesnt like Miliband's proposals saying on the Today show that it might make them reconsider.
    Mr. L, is Vic Reeves really TSE? I think we should be told.
  • isam said:

Ed Miliband has a net rating (% satisfied minus % dissatisfied) of -22. 31% are satisfied with his performance as Labour leader, while 53% are dissatisfied. Half (50%) of Labour supporters are satisfied with his performance, while 40% are dissatisfied, giving him a net rating of +10.

The leader ratings among supporters are surely a big indicator of certainty to vote, no?
    No, prior to the General Election, Dave had North Korean levels of support amongst Tories.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SMukesh said:

One of the striking features of the Coalition Government is that everyone has pretended that they are about deficit reduction first and foremost, but in practice they have been anything but.

There have been large cuts in taxes - with increases in the personal allowance, cuts in corporation tax, cuts in fuel duty and a cut in the highest rate of income tax.

Large parts of the budget - such as Pensions, the NHS and International Aid - have been protected.

These tax cuts and spending decisions are the main reason that the deficit is still so large, and yet Labour have completely buried this part of the economic debate by the nature of their opposition.

Osborne could have wiped out the deficit by the end of this Parliament if he had really wanted to, so I do wish that people wouldn't pretend that was his policy.

isam said:

No, prior to the General Election, Dave had North Korean levels of support amongst Tories.
    Ill put on my orthapaedic shoes
    Toenails question to Ed : " "Ed, how are you going to tell your party they can't have what they want - massive spending?""

Lol.
  • Mr. L, is Vic Reeves really TSE? I think we should be told.

Just google image search his Mrs, Nancy Sorrell, this may not be suitable if you're at work, or have your wife/girlfriend/mistress hovering by.
    edited January 2014

isam said:

I don't think so, I'm not digging...you have proven me right.

The point is aimed specifically at you.

You personally are using the language of homophobic policeman from the 80s to describe people who are not in favour of gay marriage

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226

Lennon said:

Don't diss Mystic Vic. In 1986 Reeves predicted West Ham would beat the barcodes 8-1 with Alvin Martin scoring a hat-trick against three different Newcastle keepers. And it happened.
    That is an awesome prediction.

Do you have a source for it?
    rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

That is an awesome prediction.

Do you have a source for it?
    Disappointingly the match actually happened (http://www.whufc.com/articles/20071018/martin-treble-in-newcastle-rout_2236895_1328714) No idea about the Reeves prediction though.

• Neville Southall ‏@NevilleSouthall 3m

Just seen ed milliband say Britain should not settle for second best and labour got him

Ironic
    Neil said:

Fenster said:

SMukesh said:

Impressive impact.

There has been talk of HSBC relocating for years. I think they said last year they had decided to drop it from immediate consideration. The only recent mention I can find from googling is from a city analyst who doesnt like Miliband's proposals saying on the Today show that it might make them reconsider.
    Personally, I think the way to deal with such threats is for the government to set up a special employment register for bankers who are prepared to work for salaries and bonuses that may well be just short of one million pounds a year. We should then have some suitable replacements for those poor souls who find they can't possibly stay in this country given the derisory bonuses now being offered.
    isam said:

isam said:

You personally are using the language of homophobic policeman from the 80s to describe people who are not in favour of gay marriage

I have not proved you right. You used a quote from Animal Farm at that start of thread; even you can work out the connection between your quote about pigs and cesspits full of filth.

You started that sort of language, matey.

So tell me: are you in favour of gay marriage or not? If not, why not?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2014
    SMukesh said:

Norman Smith picks up on the key issue of the speech.

Miliband is seeking to define `Cost of Living` as not about wages exceeding inflation etc. but about the middle and working class worrying about their jobs,incomes,pensions and about where the next generation of jobs for their children is going to come from.

That's what the debate should be about: how Britain makes its way in the future. How we compete. How we ensure our children are well educated and prepared for a fight for jobs in an increasingly tough world market. How our economy stays lean and our spending sustainable. How we adjust to living without spending money we haven't earned yet.

It's what politicians and thinkers on all sides should be concentrating on.

The trouble is, Ed Miliband and Ed Balls were part of the Gordon Brown team who claimed an end to boom and bust. They allowed living standards to soar on borrowed money (and boasted about it) and deliberately set the public sector to grow - and enjoy year after year pay rises in return for little or no improvements in efficiency - grossly out of proportion to the private sector. And, most distastefully of all, they issued growth predictions to justify the spending, which were based on fiction. Essentially, they allowed themselves to believe that they had ended boom and bust.

I am willing to let bygones be bygones, and I fully understand the need for an active public sector and the need to help the poor. But until Ed Miliband and Ed Balls admit their direct hand in the creation of a huge deficit and spiralling debt, I am not willing to trust their judgement on the big economic ideas.

And I suspect a lot of voters out there think the same way as me.

Having said that - sadly - I also suspect Ed Miliband will get to power. And I fear what will happen after that. Not for me, but for my children.

Mr. Eagles, are you admitting to being Vic Reeves, or admitting to being Nancy Sorrell?
  • Mr. Eagles, are you admitting to being Vic Reeves, or admitting to being Nancy Sorrell?

My answer will leave you feeling, "Dizzy"
  • New Thread
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

SMukesh said:

One of the striking features of the Coalition Government is that everyone has pretended that they are about deficit reduction first and foremost, but in practice they have been anything but.

There have been large cuts in taxes - with increases in the personal allowance, cuts in corporation tax, cuts in fuel duty and a cut in the highest rate of income tax.

Large parts of the budget - such as Pensions, the NHS and International Aid - have been protected.

These tax cuts and spending decisions are the main reason that the deficit is still so large, and yet Labour have completely buried this part of the economic debate by the nature of their opposition.

Osborne could have wiped out the deficit by the end of this Parliament if he had really wanted to, so I do wish that people wouldn't pretend that was his policy.
    Tax revenue has not been cut.

the personal allowance was removed from higher rate taxpayers, and the higher rate tax threshold lowered.

fuel duty was not cut. a proposed increase in fuel duty was abandoned.

"In 2009-10, the last year of the previous government, £513 billion was paid in taxes (or £549 billion at 2012-13 prices).

By 2015-16, the Government plans to increase that amount to £671 billion (£633 billion at 2012-13 prices), a real terms rise of 15 per cent."

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/home/2013/01/revealed-coalitions-299-tax-rises.html

isam said:

isam said:

I have not proved you right. You used a quote from Animal Farm at that start of thread; even you can work out the connection between your quote about pigs and cesspits full of filth.

Oh you were saying people opposed to gay marriage were similar to the animals in animal farm? In that case it went over my head. I thought you were stigmatising anyone who didn't agree with gay marriage as loonys

Less of the matey though

I'm not in favour, but i don't really care that much either, and I can't be bothered to get into an argument about it
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh you were saying people opposed to gay marriage were similar to the animals in animal farm? In that case it went over my head. I thought you were stigmatising anyone who didn't agree with gay marriage as loonys

Less of the matey though

I'm not in favour, but i don't really care that much either, and I can't be bothered to get into an argument about it
    Ah, so no wonder you take it so personally. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don;t think you swim in sea of filth. But I do think you need to reconsider your opinion.

Why aren't you in favour? Talk to some gay people, look at the history of homosexuality in this country. Ask yourself why homosexuals should not get married, and whether your reasons are good enough not to treat them equally.
This discussion has been closed.