Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why those wanting an EU referendum shouldn’t pin their hope

SystemSystem Posts: 12,046
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why those wanting an EU referendum shouldn’t pin their hopes on Ed Miliband

Last night I got into a little Twitter discussion with Lord Ashcroft over Labour and an EU referendum. He was articulating what is a widespread Tory view that EdM will be forced ahead of the election to make a commitment. It will become a politically difficult, they believe, for him to avoid.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    It makes little sense for Labour to do anything to risk alienating the LD-to-Labour switchers that represent the overwhelming majority of Labour's gains from 2010.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    But why would it occur to anyone to pin any such hopes on Ed anyway?
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited January 2014
    Depends whether he's bothered about getting any Tory voters on board?

And I don't think there will be any choice about the next parliament being partly dominated by Europe. Labour may as well join the discussion else the conversation will only be between centre-right reformists and BOOers (not that that is a bad thing).
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546
    edited January 2014
    Fourthly, if he agrees to the referendum the next fight is about renegotiation, which is a battle he will probably lose, fought by each party raising an army of unicorns, destined to be cruelly and gruesomely slain by the machine guns of reality.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    So Owen Jones overtures to UKIP supporters was in vain? Poor Owen......
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ed will not offer a recerendum as he is likely to win the GE anyway.
  • Of more interest - well, to me if not to anyone else - is the proportion of Kippers who do not place Europe in the top three (in either category). They couldn't by any chance be racists, could they?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,322
    Is this the start of a series?

Those who want the lights to come on shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

Those who want a bank in which their money is safe and accesible shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

Those who want employment shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

In fact is the question not really; who should pin their hopes on Ed?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,322

Of more interest - well, to me if not to anyone else - is the proportion of Kippers who do not place Europe in the top three (in either category). They couldn't by any chance be racists, could they?

More likely fruitcakes.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565
    Should they pin their hopes on Miliband breaking up the banks either - or more relevantly, should they pin their fears on him doing so? What if it's their bank in their town centre he wants to break up and be forced to sell off? And to whom?

I would suggest that there is some mileage for the government parties in picking apart these ill-thought-through plans.

This is quite apart from the fact that it was the Labour government who allowed and even encouraged the industry to concentrate to this extent in the first place, that more mid-sized banks don't necessarily improve competition if they just behave like all the others, that branch footprint is less and less relevant, or that you don't (or shouldn't) want an overly-competitive financial industry anyway as it increases the risk of failure.

Simple solutions are for simple people.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Oliver_PB said:

It makes little sense for Labour to do anything to risk alienating the LD-to-Labour switchers that represent the overwhelming majority of Labour's gains from 2010.

Which is why floating "teachers' licences" was so damn stupid.
    On topic, Miliband won't offer a referendum because he's a Europhile voter-sceptic who wouldn't risk an Out vote and wouldn't be prepared to alter Britain's relationship to a less intense one so would have nothing to offer to the public anyway.
  • So Owen Jones overtures to UKIP supporters was in vain? Poor Owen......

Doesn't the polling on the minimum wage show that Owen is right to believe many UKIP voters are well to the left of the party's leadership. He also supports an In/Out referendum.

• Dawn breaks over flooded Oxfordshire fields; grey clouds hang low in the sky: the early train to London.

My, how I love the rain!
  • MS is quite right. Lord Ashcroft does not I think understand what is driving UKIP, or UKIPs broader impact. The only problem for Labour in not offering a referendum will lie in not being able, in government, to advance the European argument, for example towards joining the euro, because, in opposition, the Conservatives will have become wholly in favour of withdrawal, thus making winning any pro European plebicite probably more difficult. This very much raises the risk of progressive UK semi-detachment from the EU mainstream which could lead to the disaster of a withdrawalist administration coming to power in 2019/20 and taking us out: the very scenario most of the UKIP leadership seem to be working for. But it is entirely understandable that the Labour leadership put not getting back into government with a referendum commitment hanging over them and the short term political advantages which might accrue from the Conservatives alienating a large part of business by their becoming even more anti-European, ahead of such longer term strategic considerations. The only thing which could change this is if UKIP were to start to do really spectacularly well in Labour heartlands which I think is unlikely. They are reviving parts of the traditional Tory vote that used to exist in the North, but that will not be a sufficient threat, and concessions to address the dangers it poses will be made on immigration, rather than on EU membership. My fear is more a crisis of legitimacy at the next general election because of a crass mismatch between votes and seats, exacerbated by the West Lothian question and unrequited desires for a European referendum by Conservatives and UKIP causing real chaos, not least in financial markets.
  • Should they pin their hopes on Miliband breaking up the banks either - or more relevantly, should they pin their fears on him doing so? What if it's their bank in their town centre he wants to break up and be forced to sell off? And to whom?

I would suggest that there is some mileage for the government parties in picking apart these ill-thought-through plans.

This is quite apart from the fact that it was the Labour government who allowed and even encouraged the industry to concentrate to this extent in the first place, that more mid-sized banks don't necessarily improve competition if they just behave like all the others, that branch footprint is less and less relevant, or that you don't (or shouldn't) want an overly-competitive financial industry anyway as it increases the risk of failure.

So, after yesterday's discovery that Labour wants to cut deeper (when it comes to the number of local authorities, at least) than the Tories, we now have the doyen of PB.com's Tories criticising Labour's leader for promoting an "overly competitive" solution!

Some years ago I told my son that I didn't understand the 21st century. I certainly don't understand its politics if these two issues are anything to go by.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

MS is quite right. Lord Ashcroft does not I think understand what is driving UKIP, or UKIPs broader impact. The only problem for Labour in not offering a referendum will lie in not being able, in government, to advance the European argument, for example towards joining the euro, because, in opposition, the Conservatives will have become wholly in favour of withdrawal, thus making winning any pro European plebicite probably more difficult. This very much raises the risk of progressive UK semi-detachment from the EU mainstream which could lead to the disaster of a withdrawalist administration coming to power in 2019/20 and taking us out: the very scenario most of the UKIP leadership seem to be working for. But it is entirely understandable that the Labour leadership put not getting back into government with a referendum commitment hanging over them and the short term political advantages which might accrue from the Conservatives alienating a large part of business by their becoming even more anti-European, ahead of such longer term strategic considerations. The only thing which could change this is if UKIP were to start to do really spectacularly well in Labour heartlands which I think is unlikely. They are reviving parts of the traditional Tory vote that used to exist in the North, but that will not be a sufficient threat, and concessions to address the dangers it poses will be made on immigration, rather than on EU membership. My fear is more a crisis of legitimacy at the next general election because of a crass mismatch between votes and seats, exacerbated by the West Lothian question and unrequited desires for a European referendum by Conservatives and UKIP causing real chaos, not least in financial markets.

Where's the evidence withdrawal would be a disaster ? So far bar a bit of scaremongering neither side has presented an argument.

My arsehole of the week prize goes to scaremongerer Steve Odell of Ford who threatened Ford would with draw from the UK. Conveniently foregtting that

- when we joined the EU Ford had 3 UK assembly plants now it has none
    - Ford ditched JLR and Aston Martin when we were in the EU
    - Ford has recently close Southampton and Dagenham when we were in the EU
    - The UK is Ford's largest European market

So since he has closed down all the major facilities already ( bar one plant at Bridgend ) where's the threat ?

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited January 2014
    It's good to see Ed Miliband is building his career prospects with these attacks on FTSE stocks for failing service. Surely it's only a matter of time before he lands his plumb and best suited job as a Which columnist from 2015.

I though Gordon was terrible but Ed M is really showing me it is possible to be even less suited for leading this country. Remarkable.

Populist clap-trap with basic wrong calls on the big economic issues.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Labour's @ChukaUmunna concedes plans for break up of RBS and Lloyds will hit their share price @BBCr4today

@labourpress: RT @BBCr4today: "We believe the costs involved in the reform we're proposing will, in the long term, be in the public interest." - @ChukaUmunna #r4today
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited January 2014
    FPT :

@Pulpstar said:

"I'd suggest the odds of an UNMARRIED French president having an affair were 'slightly' higher than the Queen. And our head of state has no economic governing function. Obviously if God Rest their soul Will, Charles and Liz fell under a bus tomorrow then it wouldn't really come to anyone's surprise if King Henry IX was off continuing the 'traditions' of the previous King Henry..."

@JohnLoony replied:

"Prince Harry would be the Prince Regent. The King would be George VII; he can be relied on to continue the calm and popular manner of the reign of George VI."

The Duchess of Cambridge would be the most likely regent and not Prince Henry

Prior to Princess Victoria attaining her majority and as heir-presumptive to King William IV it was Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent who was nominated as Regent.

There is also the matter of the sequence of death of the Queen, Charles and William. It might be they died hours or days after each other in succession order in which case the Queen would have been succeeded by Charles III or George VII (the latter apparently the PoW's preferred choice) and then William V. In the latter case the Duchess of Cambridge would have become Queen Katherine and certainly Regent.

The infant King would be Goerge VII or VIII dependent on the regnal name and number of his grandfather, if any.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Labour's @ChukaUmunna concedes plans for break up of RBS and Lloyds will hit their share price @BBCr4today

@labourpress: RT @BBCr4today: "We believe the costs involved in the reform we're proposing will, in the long term, be in the public interest." - @ChukaUmunna #r4today

So all those small investors in those banks have just had their cost of living crisis made worse. Well done Chuka! Cretin.

• Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    While it is politically useful for little Ed to keep the option open the reason for doing so diminishes with every passing day. When little Ed's helpers floated the idea every so often it was indeed mainly to watch the tories run around like headless chickens whenever the issue took centre stage, but they need no help whatsoever to do that now. Eurosceptic tory backbenchers are fully intent on doing that until they get more concessions and 'red line' detail from Cameron.

Which isn't to say it might not be an option of desperate last resort if little Ed found himself sufficiently behind in the polls. Problem being that kippers are no more likely to believe little Ed's Cast Iron Referendum Pledges than they do when they come from Cameron. It's also obviously immigration that kippers are taking most advantage of while the EU is of secondary importance.

What could push it to the forefront again is if labour do badly at the EU elections and find they have lost an uncomfortably big chunk of disaffected voters to the kippers.

Look at the VI from the beginning of last year to the May local elections when the kipper VI hit it's high. (that kipper rise will be repeated for this May's EU elections and likely get even higher) Both parties took a hit but the softer tory kipper switchers had already moved so the higher kipper VI gets the more likely it is to take an increasing chunk out of labour's vote.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Was all of the labour drop to the kippers? No, little Ed took care of a good deal of that himself. However, it is quite clear that while little Ed struggles to appeal to the kind of voters that Farage can grab it is not just Cammie who has to worry about Farage.

There is another option for little Ed. The so called 'mandate' referendum that some tories seemed to favour. Doesn't mean he will pledge that either but he can and will posture on the subject to try and appease disaffected labour voters if things get particularly bad.

He has little choice since he can no more outkip the kippers on their core issues than Cameron can. Both are still pinning their hopes on the kipper vote crashing after May. Even though it is still Cammie who has most to lose in 2015 if it remains as stubbornly high as it did after last May's fall. Falling back down to above 10% just isn't good enough for 2015. The panic from tory Eurosceptics wold be incredible if the kippers are roughly that level in 2015.

• tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,559
    Politicians on all sides make the mistake that if they keep banging on about an issue, their opponents will either care or agree. All sides guilty of this, the Tories have been lazy in assuming at Ed and Nick will follow suit on a eu Referendum when it's clear the Tories remain paralysed and split. Labour will move on migration instead, and if the others will go with the EU
    Ref, they'll announce it late with plenty of conditions the Tories won't like.
  • Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

So all those small investors in those banks have just had their cost of living crisis made worse. Well done Chuka! Cretin.

It's all very well for the gold-plated pensioned Miliband whose pension has no exposure to performance of FTSE stocks such as banking or utilities but most people's penisons have to take investment risk and if Labour is going to go after corporate Britain, it will hit our pensions.

Time for MP's to be auto enroled in to Nest and start appreciating investmenr risk!!!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    The YouGov commentary on their Europoll has an interesting bit of fine print. They not only put UKIP in the list of prompted parties (which I think is sensible, but not what they do for daily polls yet). They also asked the question thus:

Q. The European elections are held under a proportional voting system which gives smaller parties a better chance of winning seats than in general elections. If there were an election to the European Parliament held tomorrow, which party would you vote for?

This seems to me a pretty hefty prod not just for UKIP but also for the LibDems and the Greens, who will be a bit disappointed not to get more than the 9% and 6% shown here.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I am with Mike. I see no reason for Labour to want a referendum on Europe. They are pro EU, it is not a dividing issue in the party and the issue is dividing the Tories.

It is the suicidal infighting on the subject between varieties of europhobes that is going to put Miliband in Downing st. He would be crazy to put an end to that fight.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    I don't think anyone is expecting Ed Miliband to call a referendum. The people who most want him to do so are his political enemies anyway...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226
    If Miliband was a master tactician (which I suspect he might be), he would promise an EU referendum if elected. He would then announce the referendum would be for the election day in 2020 - thus ensuring that the Conservatives and UKIP continue to duke over the issue right into the next election.

If Cameron had any sense he would call an EU referendum now "to give me the mandate to fight for Britain in Europe, and to bring reform to Europe". Only a few Conservative MPs would want to oppose a 'pre renegotiation' exit, and therefore there would likely be a large-ish majority in favour of staying (the polls are - what - 70:30 if there's a renegotiation), and he might get even better than that (as quite a few people would say "well, Mr Cameron keeps his word on referendums (now), so we may as well give him a chance." He could put as the cornerstone of powers to bring back an opt out from the ECHR (which the Germans are sympathetic to).

• DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Google may be an evil data-hoarding advertising company intent on world domination, but their skunkworks X-lab is doing some pretty funky stuff:

Blood-sugar level warning contact lenses

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Lloyds and RBS shares have done pretty well in the last few years !
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,451
    edited January 2014

Where's the evidence withdrawal would be a disaster ? So far bar a bit of scaremongering neither side has presented an argument.

My arsehole of the week prize goes to scaremongerer Steve Odell of Ford who threatened Ford would with draw from the UK. Conveniently foregtting that

So since he has closed down all the major facilities already ( bar one plant at Bridgend ) where's the threat ?

Very good points about Ford. They employ 15,000 people in the UK (mainly sales, I guess, who would remain), including 4,000 in the engine plant at Dagenham (soon to reduce to 3,200).

Being in the EU hardly saved Ford car-making in the UK, did it? It's reduced massively over the last couple of decades.

Nissan have also made similar threats in the past:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/08/nissan-automotive-industry

There will be disadvantages to full withdrawal from the EU, just as there are advantages.

Many of these on both sides will not be known before any referendum (and if they are, they will be argued about ad infinitum), and therefore it will be more of an emotional choice by the public, rather than one based on hard, cold facts.
    @rcs1000 wrote :

"If Miliband was a master tactician (which I suspect he might be) ..."

Well that started the morning on PB with a mirth filled moment !!
  • Is Owen Jones the speechwriter - big shout out to him, standing firmly behind him.

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk
    under a Lab government, you will no longer be serving the banks. Instead, the banks will be serving you” http://labli.st/K7NlaL
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    Last night's by-election was a Tory ward neighbouring the Tory section of W&SE. Can someone who thinks UKIP have a snowball's chance in hell of winning explain to me how that's going to happen if Labour are on 40% in the Tory wards in the seat and UKIP are starting from 6% and barely making any headway? I honestly don't get why the UKIP price on this seat has been bid down from below 10/1 or so.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    JackW said:

FPT :

@Pulpstar said:

"I'd suggest the odds of an UNMARRIED French president having an affair were 'slightly' higher than the Queen. And our head of state has no economic governing function. Obviously if God Rest their soul Will, Charles and Liz fell under a bus tomorrow then it wouldn't really come to anyone's surprise if King Henry IX was off continuing the 'traditions' of the previous King Henry..."

@JohnLoony replied:

"Prince Harry would be the Prince Regent. The King would be George VII; he can be relied on to continue the calm and popular manner of the reign of George VI."

Prior to Princess Victoria attaining her majority and as heir-presumptive to King William IV it was Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent who was nominated as Regent.

There is also the matter of the sequence of death of the Queen, Charles and William. It might be they died hours or days after each other in succession order in which case the Queen would have been succeeded by Charles III or George VII (the latter apparently the PoW's preferred choice) and then William V. In the latter case the Duchess of Cambridge would have become Queen Katherine and certainly Regent.

The infant King would be Goerge VII or VIII dependent on the regnal name and number of his grandfather, if any.

If it's unclear in which order they died (eg a plane crash), the older is deemed to predecease the younger. So in a split second we would have Elizabeth II, Charles III and William V, before George VII.
    Ed Miliband must be narked that George W Bush got to the phrase Axis Of Evil first.
    edited January 2014

I'm not sure that's true. Ford doesn't manufacture many finished cars in the UK, but it does have (IIRC) several thousand people in Dagenham still making engines (it closed the smaller Dagenham stamping plant). And I think the biggest source of transmissions (Getrag) in Europe for many of Ford's cars are made in Liverpool and at Halewood.

It is worth remembering in all of this that Ford doesn't actually care about us being in the EU - what it does care about is us being inside the Single Economic Area: that is the part of Europe covered by the Single External Tariff and where parts can go between countries without being stopped for customs checks. So, Ford would be equally happy if we had a Norway-like status. But they would be much less happy if we left the SEA, because that would mean their just-in-time supply chains between their engine and transmission making plants in the UK, and their vehicle assembly locations outside the UK would be subject to interruption - forcing them to carry more stock (which, as I'm sure you know is an expensive business).
  • BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Good to see the near-perfect chancellor opt for a sensible policy for once: raising the Minimum wage. Lots of Tory gnashing of teeth, but then we know where most Tory sympathies lie.

And Ed's bank annoucnement is sensible and will be popular.

under a Lab government, you will no longer be serving the banks. Instead, the banks will be serving you”

Yup, closing my local branch is just exactly the sort of extra service I am looking for.

Oh, wait...

Very good points about Ford. They employ 15,000 people in the UK (mainly sales, I guess, who would remain), including 4,000 in the engine plant at Dagenham (soon to reduce to 3,200).

Being in the EU hardly saved Ford car-making in the UK, did it? It's reduced massively over the last couple of decades.

There will be disadvantages to full withdrawal from the EU, just as there are advantages.

Many of these on both sides will not be known before any referendum (and if they are, they will be argued about ad infinitum), and therefore it will be more of an emotional choice by the public, rather than one based on hard, cold facts.
    To be fair to Nissan, last year when they were choosing where in Europe to build their new small car, they chose Northern Spain over Sunderland - so you can say it's had an effect already. Or you could say that the Eurozone crisis resulted in lower wages in Spain, making it a more attractive place to invest. Or you could say it's a bit of both.
    BenM said:

Good to see the near-perfect chancellor opt for a sensible policy for once: raising the Minimum wage. Lots of Tory gnashing of teeth, but then we know where most Tory sympathies lie.

"And Ed's bank announcement is sensible and will be popular."

It may be popular; it may not. It sure as heck isn't sensible. Are you one of the few who still thinks that his energy cap police was anything other than insane?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,506
    This is a wood-for-trees issue. Damn the details.

He will offer a referendum because, as we saw so recently with the Cons & energy, there needs to be a credible answer to questions posed across the floor (and the press and on blogs and...).

There is no credible answer to the question:

"Why do you not trust the British public to make their own minds up on Europe?"

I agree with all these points, by the way! I was just pointing out that Ford still has some quite sizeable manufacturing operations here
  • I'd be very, very sad to see the queen, Charlie and Wills all die together. But I think having Kate as Regent, our acting head of state, would be deeply cool.
    @Survation: Survation/Sky News: Westminster VI, Fieldwork 14-15th Jan (chge vs 01/05) CON 30% (-1%) LAB 34% -1%) LD 12% (+1%) UKIP 18% (+2) AP 7% (nc)
    It is all tactics, and no strategy.

Bashing bankers played well in 2009-12 in the recession, but will be looking a bit tired by 2015. The threat to high st banks on branch closures would only switch the votes of a few, but those would be the front of house staff in branches and their regular customers. I cannot see it gaining many votes.

A better way to improve competition would be to assist the entry of smartphone enabled financial services, as that is where the future of retail banking lies. The rise of Wonga and similar companies demonstrates that customers value convenience of access and easy borrowing over value.

Of course easier borrowing may not be the answer to individuals cost of living issues, but rather the seeds of another crisis. Banks falling over each other to loan to sub-prime debtors may have caused a few problems in the past, as I recall!
    JackW said:

@rcs1000 wrote :

"If Miliband was a master tactician (which I suspect he might be) ..."

Well that started the morning on PB with a mirth filled moment !!

edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Nor did the prospect of the coalition breaking them up cause panic in the streets and a cost of living crisis for those with a short memory.
    Break Up The Banks, Says Cable

The business secretary Vince Cable has signalled that he remains in favour of breaking up British banks, despite likely recommendations from an independent commission to the contrary.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/07/26/break-up-the-banks-says-c_n_909367.html
    So no, it's not 'unthinkable' that such a policy be pursued even if little Ed isn't doing so just to put the spotlight on the always popular banks and bankers. Nor is it really little just Ed trying to appeal to the kind of lib dem voters who seemed to find the idea appealing.
    It's fear.

Little Ed knows that "don't let labour ruin it again" will be just as powerful as "the cost of living crisis" in 2015 and for the exact same reasons. Voters don't give a crap about economic stats whereas they instinctively know if they are better off or not. The public also know full well that the banks and labour crashed the economy before and no amount of economic stats will change that fact either. (The tories would love it if Brown and Darling were still in place to remind voters of the crash but they'll just have to make do with Balls and little Ed since trust will be a massive factor in the success of both strategies)

Hence this new attempt to convince voters that the banks won't be allowed to do that again with these proposals. Whether tory spinners like them or not is hilariously beside the point.
    It's if the public can be convinced that this means labour can be trusted again.

The reality is it's going to take far more than this to convince them. Just like it will take far more than Osbrowne adopting the TUC, labour and lib dem proposals on the minimum wage to convince the public they will be personally better off with another five years of Osbrowne.
    Scott_P said:

@Survation: Survation/Sky News: Westminster VI, Fieldwork 14-15th Jan (chge vs 01/05) CON 30% (-1%) LAB 34% -1%) LD 12% (+1%) UKIP 18% (+2) AP 7% (nc)

Has the "party in first position" ever got a lower share than 34% before?

Google may be an evil data-hoarding advertising company intent on world domination, but their skunkworks X-lab is doing some pretty funky stuff:

Blood-sugar level warning contact lenses

There's lots of this good stuff going on. I know a few people working on medical diagnostic plasters, which are currently being rolled out to some hospitals. You stick one of the disposable plasters on the patient, and it measures the vitals and wirelessly beams them back to the system.

If the patient starts to deteriorate, it alerts staff. Instead of having vitals checked every few hours, it is done every couple of minutes. There's also no need for bulky machines, and the measurements occur whenever the patient is near a wireless hub, so when being wheeled down corridors.

Anecdotally, they've already saved lives.

http://www.toumazltd.com/sensiumvitals®-pilot-study
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Scott_P said:

Labour have to be worried with those figures if the UKIP share break away to tory in any sort of numbers.
    Mick_Pork said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Nor did the prospect of the coalition breaking them up cause panic in the streets and a cost of living crisis for those with a short memory.
    Break Up The Banks, Says Cable

The business secretary Vince Cable has signalled that he remains in favour of breaking up British banks, despite likely recommendations from an independent commission to the contrary.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/07/26/break-up-the-banks-says-c_n_909367.html
    So no, it's not 'unthinkable' that such a policy be pursued even if little Ed clearly isn't doing so just to put the spotlight on the always popular banks and bankers. Nor is it really little just Ed trying to appeal to the kind of lib dem voters who seemed to find the idea appealing.
    It's fear.

Little Ed knows that "don't let labour ruin it again" will be just as powerful as "the cost of living crisis" in 2015 and for the exact same reasons. Voters don't give a crap about economic stats whereas they instinctively know if they are better off or not. The public also know full well that banks and labour crashed the economy and no amount of economic stats will change that fact either. (The tories would love it if Brown and Darling were still in place to remind voters of the crash but they'll just have to make do with Balls and little Ed since trust will be a massive factor in the success of both strategies)

Hence this new attempt to convince voters that the banks won't be allowed to do that again with these proposals. Whether tory spinners like them or not is hilariously beside the point.
    It's if the public can be convinced that this means labour can be trusted again.

The reality is it's going to take far more than this to convince them. Just like it will take far more than Osbrowne adopting the TUC, labour and lib dem proposals on the minimum wage to convince the public they will be personally better off with another five years of Osbrowne.

The difference is that no one pays any attention to what Mad Uncle Vince has to say...

Scott_P said:

Labour have to be worried with those figures if the UKIP share break away to tory in any sort of numbers.
    Those shares are dangerously close to what I regard as the nightmare of FPTP - a situation where one party gets an absolute majority of seats in the House of Commons with less than 30% of the vote.

No, no. Anything other than an easy Labour win is "fantasy", right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

The interesting thing for me is that Labour have been at a steady share for a while and the very slow Tory narrowing of the gap has come from improving Tory numbers. Are we now seeing the actual Labour share start to decline? 34% is notably lower than Labour's 'steady' polling for quite some time.

If (BIG IF) there is a crossover in a poll soon that might change the dynamic significantly.

BenM said:

It may be popular; it may not. It sure as heck isn't sensible. Are you one of the few who still thinks that his energy cap police was anything other than insane?
    I'm one of millions of voters who welcomed Ed's Energy Cap policy.
    rcs1000 said:

To be fair to Nissan, last year when they were choosing where in Europe to build their new small car, they chose Northern Spain over Sunderland - so you can say it's had an effect already. Or you could say that the Eurozone crisis resulted in lower wages in Spain, making it a more attractive place to invest. Or you could say it's a bit of both.
    Or it could just be that the companies like spreading their operations around a little. Nissan UK have got the new Juke model in the last few years, plus the Leaf electric car (and the associated battery plant). The new Qashqai and Note are also being made in Sunderland - a recent decision. Indeed, the Sunderland plant's rather busy.

Last year they also announced they were moving production of a van from Spain to France. It's hard to discern any particular trend in the machinations of car companies form individual announcements.

What we can say is that Ford has dramatically reduced their car making in the UK since we have been in the EU, whilst Honda and Nissan have massively increased theirs.

We heard similar dire warnings from companies about not joining the Euro. They were wrong then, weren't they?
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Then I suggest you read up on it, educate yourself, and work out why it is madness.
    I cannot see the tory numbers improving much this side of the Euros, so not until the autumn.

A poor Labour performance in the Euros would cause a crisis of confidence in that party, but I think is priced in to Tory performance already. I think that the Tory europhobes would quite like UKIP to beat them in the Euros in order to justify their own internicine squabbling, and put pressure on Dave before 2015. The Euro risk is mostly to the LDs and Labour.
    Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

The interesting thing for me is that Labour have been at a steady share for a while and the very slow Tory narrowing of then gap has come from improving Tory numbers. Are we now seeing the actual Labour share start to decline? 34% is notably lower than Labour's 'steady' polling for aquite some time.

If (BIG IF) there is a crossover in a poll soon that might change the dynamic significantly.
  • DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    The cynic in me thinks Ashcroft's motives are to squeeze the tory->ukip switchers by focusing on the effects of a Labour victory...

But the rest of me is just very depressed, we are truly lead by pygmies.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    I think, BenM that one has to be very careful when doing something of this sort, to think through the likely consequences, including the unintended ones.

At first sight a lot of such policies look good, until the thing is thought through.

I'm a LD>Lab voter, not a pbTory.

The difference is that no one pays any attention to what Mad Uncle Vince has to say...

You mean the Coalition Business Secretary. I hate to break it to you but the public have actually noticed that the tories failed to win a majority and are relying on the lib dems to keep them in power.

Cable was voted (yet again) the lib dem government minister of the year. (Clegg was in the bottom 5 performers unsurprisingly)
    Lots of changes in the three months since last we asked this question, not least because of the October reshuffle. Vince Cable remains the most popular Lib Dem government member, with a net satisfaction rating of +59% – though that’s his lowest rating since April 2011 and the aftermath of the tuition fees U-turn.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/whos-up-whos-down-how-party-members-rate-the-performances-of-leading-lib-dems-8-37641.html
    So there is no question that he appeals to lib dem voters. In short the kind of voters labour want to keep and win over even if some tories no longer seem to care about those kind of voters. Which won't matter at all in all those tory lib dem marginals I'm sure. ;)
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

The Coalition Conservatives in the 1918 GE were first placed and took 32.5% of the vote.

• I cannot see the tory numbers improving much this side of the Euros

Hmmm...this poll has them on 30%, a bit below their average of around 33/34 across various pollsters recently. I think a Lab 33, Tory 34 result is entirely possible in the coming weeks from some pollster or other. (Possible but not necessarily likely).
    antifrank said:

JackW said:

FPT :

@Pulpstar said:

@JohnLoony replied:

If it's unclear in which order they died (eg a plane crash), the older is deemed to predecease the younger. So in a split second we would have Elizabeth II, Charles III and William V, before George VII.
    Quite so.

Although Prince Henry would not be Regent he would be the Heir Presumptive followed by the Duke of York and his daughters. They would all also be Counsellors of State under the terms of the Regency Act 1937.

edited January 2014
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Clearly because you lack the sophistication of the PB tories who always see through cheap populist posturing and meaningless Cast Iron pledges and promises.
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
    *chortle*

Should they pin their hopes on Miliband breaking up the banks either - or more relevantly, should they pin their fears on him doing so? What if it's their bank in their town centre he wants to break up and be forced to sell off? And to whom?

So, after yesterday's discovery that Labour wants to cut deeper (when it comes to the number of local authorities, at least) than the Tories, we now have the doyen of PB.com's Tories criticising Labour's leader for promoting an "overly competitive" solution!

Some years ago I told my son that I didn't understand the 21st century. I certainly don't understand its politics if these two issues are anything to go by.
    Competition is in general a good thing, delivering choice, innovation, reduced prices and flexibility. There is, however, a limit to how much of a good thing there should be. If prices and hence costs are driven down too far by excessive competition, you starve investment in the case of (for example) energy, or in the case of finance, expose the whole industry to an increased risk of collapse as capital bases are reduced to dangerous levels and leveraging becomes too high.

In any case, numbers are only of relatively minor import to how competitive a market is. There have been intensely competitive markets with just two players, there have been uncompetitive markets with hundreds; it all depends on the culture of the providers and of how far public demand for improvements (a) exists and (b) can be made to influence the providers.

Breaking one or two banks up will not promote increased competition if they act in the same way as the existing ones (which is quite likely given that it'd be the same people running them).

As with regulation, the issue with competition is not whether there should be more or less, but whether it can be more effective.
  • Excellent analysis @MikeSmithson

Some of us have been saying this over and over again: nobody that matters cares about Europe! Why indeed would Ed offer a referendum on it when none of his pool of support cares about it (2010 LDs are probably pro-Europe in fact)?

Yes, it is corrosive for the Conservatives, hence why the very clever Labour strategists will keep the pot boiling. I do think many Conservatives on here have an almost congenital tendency to underestimate their opponents.

That's not what we teach at scouts.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

The Coalition Conservatives in the 1918 GE were first placed and took 32.5% of the vote.

There's nothing like first-hand reporting from Our Man On The Scene......
    Most things are possible. I can see the Kippers getting higher polling figures over the next few months but then this drifting down in the autumn as the 2015 election campaigns start, which I do not think will dominate until after the Indy ref. Tories stuck on 30% ish for a while yet.
    Patrick said:

I cannot see the tory numbers improving much this side of the Euros

Hmmm...this poll has them on 30%, a bit below their average of around 33/34 across various pollsters recently. I think a Lab 33, Tory 34 result is entirely possible in the coming weeks from some pollster or other. (Possible but not necessarily likely).

• Mick_Pork said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Clearly because you lack the sophistication of the PB tories who always see through cheap populist posturing and meaningless Cast Iron pledges and promises.
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
    *chortle*

Indeed. Playing to Labour's tune cf minimum wage. Has any Loto ever been as good at setting the agenda as Mr Miliband? Do not underestimate this man.

I think, BenM that one has to be very careful when doing something of this sort, to think through the likely consequences, including the unintended ones.

At first sight a lot of such policies look good, until the thing is thought through.

So Lab has to be ultra careful whereas Tories wade in to foist their unwanted ideology upon us all?

Besides, if the consequence is a shrinking of the banking and financial services sector and a diminishing of its influence in the UK economy, that is a benefit to us all.

The only charge this is vulnerable to is: what would you put in its place? That is a relevant and thorny question. Something better than this money grubbing, economy destorying, corrupt industry that's for sure.
    BenM said:

I'm one of the millions of voters who welcomed Cameron's energy price cut policy. More ambitious, and it got delivered.

Mark Ferguson makes a key point on Labour List today:
    Miliband will also seek to pull together many of the arguments he’s been making over the past few years – predistribution, Living Wage, predators and producers – to make a bigger argument. Whilst the Tories think the crisis was about the size of the state, Labour thinks the crisis is about how the economy works.
    http://labourlist.org/2014/01/miliband-wants-a-britain-where-the-banks-work-for-you-not-the-other-way-round/

Don't underestimate how vulnerable The Tories are to this.
    edited January 2014
    On topic, I am on record as saying that the big surprise from Euros 2014 will be how well UKIP does - at taking votes from Labour. I expect Labour to achieve at least 4% lower than the polling suggests. Perhaps more.

I can't imagine what upheaval a third place finish in the Euros would cause inside Labour.
    JackW said:

antifrank said:

JackW said:

FPT :

@Pulpstar said:

@JohnLoony replied:

Quite so.

Although Prince Henry would not be Regent he would be the Heir Presumptive followed by the Duke of York and his daughters. They would all also be Counsellors of State under the terms of the Regency Act 1937.

I thought that Harry, as first in line above the age of 18 *would* be regent in such a circumstance?

Kate would have no role under the terms of the 1937 Act, though the precedent of the 1953 Act suggests that parliament may act to include her (though in that case, the two consorts involved - the then Queen Mother and the Duke of Edinburgh - had served in that capacity).
    BenM said:

Miliband will also seek to pull together many of the arguments he’s been making over the past few years – predistribution, Living Wage, predators and producers – to make a bigger argument. Whilst the Tories think the crisis was about the size of the state, Labour thinks the crisis is about how the economy works.
    http://labourlist.org/2014/01/miliband-wants-a-britain-where-the-banks-work-for-you-not-the-other-way-round/

Don't underestimate how vulnerable little Ed and labour are to the fact that they were in charge when it happened and the public know it. It cuts both ways. Reminding the public of the banking crash is risky for little Ed too.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, eg:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/2662
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/2654
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/2642

32% is the lowest I've found so far.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    You can read that polling both ways.

The alternative way is that Labour is putting off many potential voters by its attitude to Europe. That includes disillusioned Con voters who might have voted Labour in the past and are instead choosing UKIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    I can't imagine what upheaval a third place finish in the Euros would cause inside Labour

Whoever comes 3rd is going to have some serious 'splaining to do. Dave will have the excuse/comfort that this is an EU protest vote and will have a route out via red meat and 'vote UKIP, get Blob' messaging. Miliblob's excuses will be harder to find and believe.

We'll also see across Europe a significant shift towards the anti-EU vote. I expect FN in France, Wilders in NL, Grillo in Italy all to do really well.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

The story on Dennis reclaiming control of McLaren is up here, with additions since the last time I posted the link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/25766407

Pirelli have signed a deal to provide tyres until 2016:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25762121

One hopes the idiots in charge realise by then that you cannot manufacture the Canadian Grand Prix of a few years ago (2008 or similar) when everyone was surprised by how rapidly the tyres wore out. When people expect that to happen the drivers are forced to drive at 80%.
    In an actual election, the Conservatives led the 2009 EU elections polling 27.7%.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    antifrank said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, eg:

There was an ICM in 2003 that had all three on 31%.

On topic, I am on record as saying that the big surprise from Euros 2014 will be how well UKIP does - at taking votes from Labour. I expect Labour to achieve at least 4% lower than the polling suggests. Perhaps more.

I can't imagine what upheaval a third place finish in the Euros would cause inside Labour.

Labour will not finish lower than second. Where the local elections are being held this year will see to that. Even so, second place should cause some soul-searching, particularly on a sub-30% share, which is very much possible.
    DavidL said:

Is this the start of a series?

Those who want the lights to come on shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

Those who want a bank in which their money is safe and accesible shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

Those who want employment shouldn't pin their hopes on Ed Miliband.

In fact is the question not really; who should pin their hopes on Ed?

People who backed him at the bookies ;)

Even so I'm hedged all the way between any minority Gov't, a continuation of the coalition and a Labour win...
    Oz to win this ODI - betfair seems to have crashed otherwise would have put all three kidneys on it.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,724

BenM said:

I'm one of the millions of voters who welcomed Cameron's energy price cut policy. More ambitious, and it got delivered.

I am just as worried as Mark Fergusson that this is an intellectual speech and won`t even make it to public consciousness.

`Miliband wants to break banks,so f****** what` would be the predominant reaction.

Miliband sometimes forgets that his main(sorry only) job is to win votes and whatever changes he wants to make,he can only do so when he wins.

JackW said:

antifrank said:

JackW said:

FPT :

@Pulpstar said:

@JohnLoony replied:

Quite so.

I thought that Harry, as first in line above the age of 18 *would* be regent in such a circumstance?

Kate would have no role under the terms of the 1937 Act, though the precedent of the 1953 Act suggests that parliament may act to include her (though in that case, the two consorts involved - the then Queen Mother and the Duke of Edinburgh - had served in that capacity).
    You are correct Herders. I am in error. Apologies to JohnLoony too.

Prince Henry would be Regent. The precedent of the 1830 Act was fully superseded by the 1937 Act.

• oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,840
    edited January 2014
    Can anyone explain how forcing a bank to sell the only branch (to another very similar bank) that I could easily get to would improve competition? How does that improve anything for the consumer.

Most communities (outside of major towns) have easy access to a limited number of banks - so forcing the sale of some of those branches is not going increase choice, it is going to limit it (at best) or force people to move to a different bank - breaking personal relationships built up over many years.

Add into this the fact that increasing numbers of people don't really use the physical banking facilities (other than for paying in the occasional cheque), and you do have to wonder what Miliband is thinking he is going to achieve by this rather random set of proposals.

I think the most likely losers are those at the bottom of the financial ladder who are forced to accept 'Basic' bank accounts - those with limited access to cash machines and branches anyway. Surely these are the people who need the most support in their access to banks - not see their access stripped away by someone who wants to raise a headline by bashing the banks (who have been operating under the regulatory system that he and his shadow Chancellor helped devise)

It just doesn't add up
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Comrade Miliband's banker-bashing not universally supported in the comments (for what that's worth):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25764261

In perhaps more significant news, the leaders of the DUP and Sinn Fein (in Northern Ireland) are having a go at one another:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25772866
    BenM said:

Besides, if the consequence is a shrinking of the banking and financial services sector and a diminishing of its influence in the UK economy, that is a benefit to us all.
    Especially if you work in the public sector where the reduction in tax revenue will lead to further job losses.....

If the big announcement is indeed the idea of breaking up RBS and Lloyds, the problem with this politically is that any benefits of it are far too long term. The energy price freeze had immediate potential benefits in the eyes of many voters.

This policy would be a bit too abstract for most voters.
    BenM said:

Or Labour to the fact they were friends with the bankers through all the Blair years, or that the crash happened on their watch.

Or the fact that they had their dirty little mitts deep in one of the failed banks. Reverend Flowers, anyone?
    ONS report Dec 13 retail sales up 5.3% on Dec 2012
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Can anyone explain how forcing a bank to sell the only branch (to another very similar bank) that I could easily get to would improve competition? How does that improve anything for the consumer.

Most communities (outside of major towns) have easy access to a limited number of banks - so forcing the sale of some of those branches is not going increase choice, it is going to limit it (at best) or force people to move to a different bank - breaking personal relationships built up over many years.

Add into this the fact that increasing numbers of people don't really use the physical banking facilities (other than for paying in the occasional cheque), and you do have to wonder what Miliband is thinking he is going to achieve by this rather random set of proposals.

I think the most likely losers are those at the bottom of the financial ladder who are forced to accept 'Basic' bank accounts - those with limited access to cash machines and branches anyway. Surely these are the people who need the most support in their access to banks - not see their access stripped away by someone who wants to raise a headline by bashing the banks (who have been operating under the regulatory system that he and his shadow Chancellor helped devise)

It just doesn't add up

Well, banks have been forced to sell branches before, as conditions for takeovers or bail-outs, so it is nothing new.

But ignore that because you raise a very good point which is that most people interact only with their local branch.

And that also applies to GPs, hospitals and schools, which is why NHS reorganisations and Michael Gove's reforms go down like a lead balloon with the voter on the Clapham omnibus.
    antifrank said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, eg:

The July 1985 Guardian ICM poll had Con 31, Lab 34, SDP-Lib Alliance 33. While not lower than 34%, it is notable for achieving that while only having an 'Others' share of 2%.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,724
    antifrank said:

If the big announcement is indeed the idea of breaking up RBS and Lloyds, the problem with this politically is that any benefits of it are far too long term. The energy price freeze had immediate potential benefits in the eyes of many voters.

This policy would be a bit too abstract for most voters.

I completely agree.With elections next year and Euros shortly where is the speech for Labour`s vote tally to go up.

Instead we seem to be getting another wonky speech from Miliband.
    JackW said:

ONS report Dec 13 retail sales up 5.3% on Dec 2012

Sensational.
    antifrank said:

If the big announcement is indeed the idea of breaking up RBS and Lloyds, the problem with this politically is that

Labour created these monsters in the first place.....which no doubt their opponents will waste no time in pointing out....."We agree with Labour - we need to fix the mess Labour made in the first place....."

• JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

The breakup of Lloyds TSB into Lloyds and TSB upset plenty of people who suddenly found they had no local branch. Repeating the process on a larger scale is going to upset plenty more with no obvious winners.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jun/15/lloyds-dumps-customers-tsb

BenM said:

Especially if you work in the public sector where the reduction in tax revenue will lead to further job losses.....

To save the village, we must destroy the village seems to be labours policy.
This discussion has been closed.