Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Johnson’s relaxation of English COVID rules is not polling well – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,576

nico679 said:

So after the usual suspects were busy prematurely criticizing the EU for what sanctions they would bring in it turns out that the rhetoric from Bozo didn’t match the sanctions and the EU have gone much further and Germany have suspended Nord stream 2.

The Boche are addicted to cheap Russian gas, they’ll never give it up.

Germany suspends Nord Stream 2

THEY ONLY DID BECAUSE THEY WERE FORCED TO!!!
    If someone smokes 20 a day and you convince them not to increase it to 30 a day, that's not really a sign they're ready to give up the habit.
    Hey, I get it, you guys have moved on from Nord Stream 2 is the greatest possible evidence of German appeasement and perfidy.

It’s a fast moving situation.
    No, just pointing out they aren't actually giving up cheap Russian gas.
  • The government is getting a pasting on the inadequacy of the sanctions package it has announced today, by every single speaker from all parties

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1496190729135308803
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886

2nd

Off Topic

I've just had an email from my energy provider telling me that my energy bill will rise by 50% a month. This coupled with BT, Sky and Poll Tax rises is going to be very tough. I suspect the I'll have to find another £100 per month from our pensions. Very tough.

Have you looked at phone charges?

I have kept my energy bills quite close to the best, but just revisited my phone / mobile phone / TV / internet and because things have changed I can now probably save £40 a month on current charges - which should cover an extra 40%+ on my energy bills if that happens.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

So far Johnson's hit Putin's golf partner, his masseuse and his shoe repairer.

That's got to hurt

Well, yes, if as we are assured all that bulk is muscle it must have been bloody painful.

Personally though I think it's all cobblers.
    I'm worried about Putin's sole
    Fishy?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

The government is getting a pasting on the inadequacy of the sanctions package it has announced today, by every single speaker from all parties

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1496190729135308803

Good to see they've still mastered underpromise and overdeliver.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

O/T - a hoax email was sent out from my daughter's school on Sunday night saying that the school would be closed for two days. The school managed to send out another email clarifying that this was not the case, and that they were looking into how this happened.
    They've just sent another email with, attached, a letter setting out a further explanation of the incident. Except what's actually attached is not a letter but the database containing all parents' email addresses.
    I'm agog to see what the next instalment will be.

Ohshit. That is bad.

The next thing will almost certainly be the resignations of the data controller and whoever sent the email.

Then a very heavy fine from the ICO.

Quite possibly followed by an OFSTED inspection which will not go well, because that's a disastrous safeguarding breach.

Fecking hell, that's awful.
    On a point of order: is it normal practice to fine a school under these circumstances? In which case, why? Surely the only possible effect reducing the budget of a school can have is to punish the children?
  • I'd like to make a distinction between 'restrictions' in general and the need to self-isolate in particular. While I'm in favour of all restrictions being lifted, I'm opposed to lifting the requirement (legal or guidance, I don't care) to self isolate if tested positive. I don't regard it as a 'restriction' to apply common sense and avoid contact with others if you're carrying a highly transmissible disease that could, still, result in very serious illness or death to others.

Not sure how formal it is but the guidance from the press conference was clearly to self isolate.

Issues with mandating it:

Half of positives dont test so never know they have it so are exempt from breaking the isolation law anyway, which is hardly fair on those that do test.
    That proportion will increase significantly as we move to paid tests
    The police don't have time (or knowledge) to deal with new laws
    The courts don't have time or funding to deal with new laws
    Legal sanctions will only ever be applied to the very dim and poor.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Well, yes, if as we are assured all that bulk is muscle it must have been bloody painful.

Fishy?
    Hence the attraction to the Don-bass.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

O/T - a hoax email was sent out from my daughter's school on Sunday night saying that the school would be closed for two days. The school managed to send out another email clarifying that this was not the case, and that they were looking into how this happened.
    They've just sent another email with, attached, a letter setting out a further explanation of the incident. Except what's actually attached is not a letter but the database containing all parents' email addresses.

Ohshit. That is bad.

The next thing will almost certainly be the resignations of the data controller and whoever sent the email.

Quite possibly followed by an OFSTED inspection which will not go well, because that's a disastrous safeguarding breach.

On a point of order: is it normal practice to fine a school under these circumstances? In which case, why? Surely the only possible effect reducing the budget of a school can have is to punish the children?
    What other sanction do you suggest?

Yes, it will damage the children as well but they're about to be plunged into chaos anyway.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Is it that bad , its the sort of thing that goes on most weeks at most companies - I presume is only email addresses and no personal data or passwords. Most people are not precious about their email address
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

The key thing is, if his golf partner's been sanctioned it will be much harder to hit his balls.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Interestingly, it further turns out that the email database also contains lots of names of parents of children at other schools. And apparently there is an apology/please delete email doing the rounds but we haven't got it yet. So presumably there is some confusion at the school over which email list is live.

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Is it that bad , its the sort of thing that goes on most weeks at most companies - I presume is only email addresses and no personal data or passwords.
    Email addresses are personal data.
    MattW said:

pigeon said:

Tory MPs scratching their heads today at how UK went from being hardliner on Ukraine to having the some of the weakest sanctions to announce today, when reverse has been true of Germany. Something not quite lining up.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1496180285561528325

Some of them will be wondering again where all the money came from to pay for that Lulu Lytle wallpaper.

(Though this would, of course, be very unfair. It was obviously all above board.)
    Perhaps we are going to see them expanded in a day or two?

It depends how much Uk Gov knew about the EuCo package.
    Well, if there is anything else to come I remain to be convinced that it'll be very much more effective than what we've already seen - the effect of the first round being as good as nil.

Johnson has been talking tough, but one cast iron rule of British politics is never to trust anything that he says. Ever.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited February 2022

Tory MPs scratching their heads today at how UK went from being hardliner on Ukraine to having the some of the weakest sanctions to announce today, when reverse has been true of Germany. Something not quite lining up.

That is really not a fair commentary after Mr Johnson today confirmed he is going after Russians on the fiddle!

(Apols if someone else has already beaten me to that one).
    edited February 2022

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Is it that bad , its the sort of thing that goes on most weeks at most companies - I presume is only email addresses and no personal data or passwords. Most people are not precious about their email address
    The ICO is.
  • ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Seems like a massive overreaction if it is just email addresses. Its a bad mistake sure, but what is the real danger of parents having each others email addresses? If its a big issue for anyone, it takes 5 mins to set up a new one anyway.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

DavidL said:

So, at work it was trailed by the government they were going to target Kremlin allied Russians/Brits in the UK via the financial services system.

What was announced today is so minimal and ineffective the government may as well of not bothered.

For this is alone Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak need to quit or be removed.

Boris described this as a barrage. To keep the analogy going this looks more like a warning shot but a barrage gives him more options when (as it seems inevitable) the next escalation comes. Bit odd he seemed to think that Abramovitch was already sanctioned. Maybe 20 points deducted from Chelsea would do the trick?

The Nord 2 suspension is by far the most material sanction to date, for all our criticism of Germany's mealy mouth to date.
    Yup, the Germans dropped an A bomb, we fired an empty water pistol.
    Nord Stream 1 is still operational and Germany will continue to be the biggest purchaser of Russian gas.
    If they turn that off as well then William, it hurts in UK as well doesn’t it?
    Not really - we get our gas elsewhere. Apart from the increase in world gas prices that would cause, in the short term.

Yes, Nord Stream 2 not going into operation doesn't mean that the Russians lose vast amounts of money coming in from Germany. They mainly lose leverage over Ukraine with respect to the "Gas Weapon"
    I don’t often disagree with you Malmsy, “ Not really - we get our gas elsewhere.”. But They would have to get their Gas elsewhere as well. That’s how it hurts us. On the one hand you are right it’s a big world market, on the other hand it’s got to get here, before someone else local to us gasumps (sic) us.

Here’s a new angle. We threatened Barrage’s of pain on Putin. They threatened to retaliate. Is this the right moment for Russian economic and diplomatic retaliation? Or, if TSE is right, we have only hit him with a water pistol, after Putin wipes his face with a towel is he hurt enough to launch a retaliation?

What can Putin’s economic and diplomatic retaliation look like? Can he do anything to hurt the West or us in UK?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    Just had Ipsos Mori cold calling on the phone, wanting to ask me questions about topical issues in the news. So I settle down enthusiastically, ready to share my views, when he says “it’ll take about 25 minutes, is that OK?”. Somewhat less enthusiastic, I say OK, and he sounds relieved and says I’m the first person on his shift who has agreed so far.

Anyhow once we start going through the demographic questions it turns out that I’m not in the age range he’s looking for, so I never get to hear the questions.

But with them admitting so many refusals from people unwilling to sit and give up half an hour on the phone, I find it hard to believe that there isn’t some significant bias arising from those few willing to say yes?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Is it that bad , its the sort of thing that goes on most weeks at most companies - I presume is only email addresses and no personal data or passwords.
    Email addresses are personal data.
    I must admit, my first thought was that it was funny, rather than a heads-will-roll issue. It's very rare that heads roll for an honest mistake. But ydoethur's reaction - and he knows this territory better than me - has convinced me it's maybe a bigger deal than I thought.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Cookie said:

I don't understand why people use attachments when they're not necessary.
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Fishy?
    Somewhere I can't really Plaice on the map.

(I just looked up Luhansk - seems it's British in its origins)
    edited February 2022

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Seems like a massive overreaction if it is just email addresses. Its a bad mistake sure, but what is the real danger of parents having each others email addresses? If its a big issue for anyone, it takes 5 mins to set up a new one anyway.
    A malicious person could do a lot with an email. The person providing the information should not have to rely on their ability to mitigate a breach to protect their information. And if you are careless with that data you are likely careless with other data.

The ICO can be annoying, but they don't fine willy nilly over every breach (they occur every day), but they will take action if a breach is egregious, repeated or procedures are sloppy over data protection. Whether fines are the best method of encourage or not is hard to say, but people don't really learn the lesson without punishment.
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Yes, it will damage the children as well but they're about to be plunged into chaos anyway.
    Well, you did suggest that it was probable that the person or persons most directly responsible would end up unemployed and the school would get its reputation dragged through the mud. I'm not convinced that financial penalties are needed on top of that in a case such as this. It's hardly as if the shareholders are going to be put through pain and encouraged to demand better governance as a result.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

"they're about to be plunged into chaos anyway"

How?

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Ummmm...you do know how many people use email addresses as usernames for various websites? Which makes it much easier to hack them? Or spam them?

I have actually lost count of the number of pointless, boring time wasting lectures Inset days I have had where it has been drummed into me I must not email multiple parents for GDPR reasons. The office must do it using clearly defined protocols of which BCC is a massive part.

Email addresses of parents must also be deleted when there is not further need for them e.g. when children have left plus a few months.
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

I've just heard what the original attachment was meant to be - essentially a letter saying 'Rest assured the data breach has been contained and we will be reporting it to the ICO'.
    So still none the wiser about how the original hoax actually happened.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,350
    Cookie said:

Someone getting fired, is the most likely next instalment. It should be pretty much impossible to be able to pull a database report unless you’re the IT administrator, and it will be logged in the system. Either someone has hacked in and gained Amin permission, or someone who does have access has worked their last day.

Whichever is the case, they should really hire an independent IT firm familiar with the software to do an investigation tomorrow, with the server switched off until they arrive.
  • Fuckn hell, these people must be paying Corbyn to live in their heads, they just can’t let go.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1496129510953074694?s=21
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Omnium said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Fishy?

Well if Putin gets away with this then the world is his oyster.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Ummmm...you do know how many people use email addresses as usernames for various websites? Which makes it much easier to hack them? Or spam them?

I have actually lost count of the number of pointless, boring time wasting lectures Inset days I have had where it has been drummed into me I must not email multiple parents for GDPR reasons. The office must do it using clearly defined protocols of which BCC is a massive part.

Email addresses of parents must also be deleted when there is not further need for them e.g. when children have left plus a few months.
    Well there were definitely several on the list whose children were no longer at the school, so a fail there.
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

I've just heard what the original attachment was meant to be - essentially a letter saying 'Rest assured the data breach has been contained and we will be reporting it to the ICO'.
    So still none the wiser about how the original hoax actually happened.
    It's going to be bloody easy to do a repeat now though, isn't it?

One reason why this is going to cause endless trouble.

I wouldn't be the person who sent that email even in exchange for a chance to personally drag Boris Johnson out of Downing Street.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Some GDPR rules (or attempts to adhere to the rules) lead to a lot of aggravating busywork. But requiring the holders of information to be more careful how they record, store, access and use the data they hold is still worthwhile and appropriate.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Someone getting fired, is the most likely next instalment. It should be pretty much impossible to be able to pull a database report unless you’re the IT administrator, and it will be logged in the system. Either someone has hacked in and gained Amin permission, or someone who does have access has worked their last day.

Whichever is the case, they should really hire an independent IT firm familiar with the software to do an investigation tomorrow, with the server switched off until they arrive.
    Was it really a database, or just a text file of the intended recipients that was going to be copy/pasted into the BCC field?

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

How?
    Well, the loss of several staff is usually suboptimal.

Fuckn hell, these people must be paying Corbyn to live in their heads, they just can’t let go.

He's a marginal figure of fun now, so it's all good though. People can try it seriously 'imagine if he was PM', but that won't help Boris against Keir.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

People already get loads of spam. Not quite sure why parent x will decide to spam parent y, but if it happens it is still trivial, person y will get dozens of spam emails each week regardless.

Of course it is a silly and bad mistake but not something that needs two people to resign and the whole school to be marked down. Things happen.
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Was it really a database, or just a text file of the intended recipients that was going to be copy/pasted into the BCC field?
    It was an excel file, which looked to me that it was an extract from an access database. Email addresses, ID fields, dates (not clear what they referred to), and some other stuff the purpose of which was unclear.
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Way too many websites also use the email address as the login username.

The famous “iCloud Hack” from a few years ago, where a bunch of half-famous people had their photos stolen, and that Mr Eagles and friends might know as “The Fappening”, was actually nothing to do with Apple.

It was Yahoo that got hacked, and everyone was using the same email address and password for both Yahoo and Apple accounts. The “hackers” simply ran the Yahoo ID and password against the Apple login screen.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Fishy?
    Something fishy afoot...

Donbass is the Russian name, Donbas the Ukranian one. Odessa and Odesa similarly.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

People already get loads of spam. Not quite sure why parent x will decide to spam parent y, but if it happens it is still trivial, person y will get dozens of spam emails each week regardless.

Of course it is a silly and bad mistake but not something that needs two people to resign and the whole school to be marked down. Things happen.
    I hope for their sake that you are the ICO investigator assigned to this.

But I think it unlikely.

Bad though this is for parents like @Cookie the person I feel sorriest for is the one who sent it. It's probably (certainly) an innocent mistake at a moment of high stress and haste, but oh boy oh boy it's a disaster and they must right now be feeling absolutely awful.
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Fishy?

Well if Putin gets away with this then the world is his oyster.
    Ceolacanth the many ways in which you can agree.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Sackings would be extreme - I only know of one example where a breach was so egregious someone got disciplined severely, and have committed a few myself - but the reason for severity is to prevent things from happening again. It absolutely is not the case that the school would learn its lesson if there were no consequences for its action.

The ICO and its ability to fine to a high level is a very useful stick to hold over bureaucracies which would otherwise see sloppy data handling as not a big deal. Even with it a lot don't see it as a big deal.

Fuckn hell, these people must be paying Corbyn to live in their heads, they just can’t let go.

The scary thing is that he got within a few thousand votes in 2017 of being potentially able to form a rainbow coalition.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

Bad though this is for parents like @Cookie the person I feel sorriest for is the one who sent it. It's probably (certainly) an innocent mistake at a moment of high stress and haste, but oh boy oh boy it's a disaster and they must right now be feeling absolutely awful.
    Probably has that feature in outlook where when you go to attach something it shows a list of the most recent files you have saved, and they've accidentally clicked the wrong one.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

It was an excel file, which looked to me that it was an extract from an access database. Email addresses, ID fields, dates (not clear what they referred to), and some other stuff the purpose of which was unclear.
    Any school using MS Access needs to be put into special measures.
    I once worked for a company that had a specific rule about propagating MS Access databases because they had such a problem of MS Access databases being propagated, leaving many different versions of the original that then no-one knew whether they were using the right one or not.

But everything that company did was fucking stupid on every level.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

Well it's only really bad for me if the school is fined for it, therefore making a bad situation worse for the benefit of no-one.
    Yes, I mainly feel bad for the person who sent it. I was having an innocent chuckle at someone else's bad day at the office but now I know how bad a day at the office it was for the person involved I feel quite guilty.
    edited February 2022
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

Well it's only really bad for me if the school is fined for it, therefore making a bad situation worse for the benefit of no-one.
    Yes, I mainly feel bad for the person who sent it. I was having an innocent chuckle at someone else's bad day at the office but now I know how bad a day at the office it was for the person involved I feel quite guilty.
    It's natural not to realise. Why would you? If you don't work with this data you wouldn't have to be trained in handling it, so why would you know how serious a breach is?

I'm getting concerned about the fact you're saying other stuff was on there too that you couldn't identify. Hopefully it is nothing important. If it is...

To give you some idea of how seriously this is taken, if a staff member leaves an unlocked computer in an unlocked room unattended during a data compliance inspection the school is automatically failed.

And this is an order of magnitude worse.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

How?
    Well, I think that's harsh. Someone's made a mistake (probably - assuming it isn't related to the original hoax-hack). I would not wish for someone to lose their job over that. Formal warning yes, dismissal, no.

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

nico679 said:

So after the usual suspects were busy prematurely criticizing the EU for what sanctions they would bring in it turns out that the rhetoric from Bozo didn’t match the sanctions and the EU have gone much further and Germany have suspended Nord stream 2.

Biden made it clear to the German Chancellor that he would end Nordstream 2 in a very public speech with the Chancellor beside him and so it has come to pass
    Meanwhile UK does nothing as the Torises are dependent on Russian money
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

Probably has that feature in outlook where when you go to attach something it shows a list of the most recent files you have saved, and they've accidentally clicked the wrong one.
    Emails to parents really should be system-generated, no-one should be pulling a list into Outlook. It *should* be impossible for the average user to generate a list of email addresses in a file.
  • Andy_JS said:

The scary thing is that he got within a few thousand votes in 2017 of being potentially able to form a rainbow coalition.
    Which would have lasted 10 minutes.
    Still, thank goodness for all that strong and stable since then..
  • MattW said:

2nd

Off Topic

I've just had an email from my energy provider telling me that my energy bill will rise by 50% a month. This coupled with BT, Sky and Poll Tax rises is going to be very tough. I suspect the I'll have to find another £100 per month from our pensions. Very tough.

Have you looked at phone charges?

I have kept my energy bills quite close to the best, but just revisited my phone / mobile phone / TV / internet and because things have changed I can now probably save £40 a month on current charges - which should cover an extra 40%+ on my energy bills if that happens.
    I have a calls anytime package for the landlines and a sim only contract for my old mobile. Renegotiating sky q to sky glass ends up cheaper actually.

I dread to think what the poll tax gets to.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

It's natural not to realise.

I'm getting concerned about the fact you're saying other stuff was on there too that you couldn't identify. Hopefully it is nothing important. If it is...
    FFS World War 3 is about to breakout and you're treating the leak of a few 100 emails addresses as a disaster? Sense of proportion required.

Report it to the ICO of course. Apologise fulsomely to the parents. Take some sensible steps to prevent a repetition. Done.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

It's natural not to realise. Why would you? If you don't work with this data you wouldn't have to be trained in handling it, so why would you know how serious a breach is?

To give you some idea of how seriously this is taken, if a staff member leaves an unlocked computer in an unlocked room unattended during a data compliance inspection the school is automatically failed.

And this is an order of magnitude worse.
    …and if the email addresses identify, to give a few random examples, people looking after children in care, parents involved in divorce proceedings, someone who has made an allegation of a sexual nature against another pupil or teacher, people involved in disciplinary hearings or litigation…
  • The thread header dispenses with the usual QTWAIN and instead has a STWAIN: Statement To Which the Answer Is NO!

"He’s got to hope this doesn’t lead to more cases" - No.

Cases don't matter anymore. When are people going to stop obsessing over cases?

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

FFS World War 3 is about to breakout and you're treating the leak of a few 100 emails addresses as a disaster? Sense of proportion required.

Report it to the ICO of course. Apologise fulsomely to the parents. Take some sensible steps to prevent a repetition. Done.
    I assure you it won't be 'done.'

If you feel this is out of proportion, tell the ICO that, not me. It's their reaction I'm describing.

And then campaign for GDPR to be repealed.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

DavidL said:

So, at work it was trailed by the government they were going to target Kremlin allied Russians/Brits in the UK via the financial services system.

What was announced today is so minimal and ineffective the government may as well of not bothered.

Boris described this as a barrage. To keep the analogy going this looks more like a warning shot but a barrage gives him more options when (as it seems inevitable) the next escalation comes. Bit odd he seemed to think that Abramovitch was already sanctioned. Maybe 20 points deducted from Chelsea would do the trick?

The Nord 2 suspension is by far the most material sanction to date, for all our criticism of Germany's mealy mouth to date.
    Nord Stream 1 is still operational and Germany will continue to be the biggest purchaser of Russian gas.
    It hurts the UK and Germany equally: because both of us would be bidding for spot LNG cargoes.

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

Parliament continued to debate minor measures and receive petitions during the period of intense political and religious strife during the civil wars, when their very existence was up for question - it is possible to reflect on the minor stuff at the same time as the big stuff. Especially when there are simple, clear answers to the small stuff.
  • Intriguing:

Attorney General @SuellaBraverman is trying to stop the BBC from broadcasting a programme about a person, X. The case will be heard by High Court next week. The AG wanted the ‘open’ part of that hearing to be held in private - but today Mr Justice Chamberlain ruled against her…

https://twitter.com/DannyShawNews/status/1496190179584921609
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

It hurts the UK and Germany equally: because both of us would be bidding for spot LNG cargoes.
    And to where in Germany, would these cargoes be delivered? They haven’t yet built the import facility.
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

I assume there's nothing important - nothing obviously identifiable as an address or child's name... I can't think of anything else important the school knows about me.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

And to where in Germany, would these cargoes be delivered? They haven’t yet built the import facility.
    Ah. That’s interesting.
  • The polling in the header highlights the disadvantage of having someone like BoJo as PM. One of his key talents is intuiting what the person in front of him wants to hear and saying that to them. It's a great power in winning elections, so I'm not knocking it. Really.

However.

In this case, BoJo has to please two audiences- his Brexity MPs and his Brexity voters. And they largely want different things, and always have. The MPs mainly want him to be more libertarian- global swashbuckling and no Covid restrictions. The voters in the country mainly want him to be more protectionist, economically, socially and in public health terms.

Riding two horses, at least for a while, is another of BoJo's talents. Useful in politics (who said "if you can't ride two horses, don't join the circus"?), but at some point, it stops working. I don't know when, but at some point ...
  • Cardiff University "defended messages referring to academics as an ”ignorant fuckface” and a call to kneecap them as legitimate expressions of free speech, even after one of the signatories had his car window smashed."

These violent threats were a direct result of staff writing a letter asking for a review of Cardiff Uni's Stonewall membership, pointing out that affiliation with Stonewall exposes dissenters to harassment.

https://twitter.com/ProfAliceS/status/1496131962104434697
    Farooq said:

Cookie said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The best database from an educational point of view is the one you built yourself. Absolutely any architecture is fine though in term of learning. I can't imagine you'd suggest otherwise - do explain!

The thread header dispenses with the usual QTWAIN and instead has a STWAIN: Statement To Which the Answer Is NO!

Why do you think the polls are so negative about Freedom Day 2 though? PB last night was very much the other way, saying No, Mike, not a mistake.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

How?
    Well, I think that's harsh. Someone's made a mistake (probably - assuming it isn't related to the original hoax-hack). I would not wish for someone to lose their job over that. Formal warning yes, dismissal, no.

The courts have started to be a bit robust about this and tell people to piss off and stop wasting their time trying to screw someone for a few grand for the disclosing of a bare email address
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Intriguing:

Attorney General @SuellaBraverman is trying to stop the BBC from broadcasting a programme about a person, X. The case will be heard by High Court next week. The AG wanted the ‘open’ part of that hearing to be held in private - but today Mr Justice Chamberlain ruled against her…

I don’t know about you but I always sleep easy knowing that Suella Braverman is making sure the rule of law is upheld by the government.
  • So far:

- Germany with the surprise most powerful response, halting NS2
    - UK sanctions underwhelming, oligarchs already sanctioned by USA
    - EU sanctions look to be underwhelming
    - USA not yet announced

Not the response needed to Putin declaring war and crossing into Ukraine

https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1496118296718024704
    Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

The best database from an educational point of view is the one you built yourself. Absolutely any architecture is fine though in term of learning. I can't imagine you'd suggest otherwise - do explain!
    This isn’t about teaching the kids databases, it’s about the database used by the school administration to hold personal information that comes under GDPR. Some random self-built Access DB doesn’t cut it!

Intriguing:

It has only just occurred to me that discussing Johnson's superinjunction about the violinist or Elton John's about the olive oil is not even a technical beach, for anyone who has not been served with the thing.

The thread header dispenses with the usual QTWAIN and instead has a STWAIN: Statement To Which the Answer Is NO!

A lot of people have been obsessing over case rates (going back to the times when they indeed did portend calamity, of course,) for so long that they now appear incapable of stopping. It's small wonder that the Government, apparently, wants to scrap the Covid dashboard in the near future.

Cardiff University "defended messages referring to academics as an ”ignorant fuckface” and a call to kneecap them as legitimate expressions of free speech, even after one of the signatories had his car window smashed."

These violent threats were a direct result of staff writing a letter asking for a review of Cardiff Uni's Stonewall membership, pointing out that affiliation with Stonewall exposes dissenters to harassment.

Good grief.

They didn't spot the irony of this, I take it?
  • Biden announcing first tranche of sanctions, more to follow if Moscow continues aggression.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

That's got to hurt

Not an item built to last.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462
    Andy_JS said:
    Funnily enough, that is the last major restriction to go. It's been widely ignored on buses here in north London for weeks now, but remains the rule across the network and is more widely complied with on the Tube.

So that's it – no more restrictions in England, that I can think of.
  • Regarding the thread.

So the public is roughly 2:1 against dropping the requirement to self isolate if you have Covid.

But what the Government is doing is worse than that. It's dropping (the already pretty limited) financial support available to those isolating, in effect compelling some with Covid to return if they can't afford not to. They're using a stick to incentivise people to return to work with Covid.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

If someone smokes 20 a day and you convince them not to increase it to 30 a day, that's not really a sign they're ready to give up the habit.
    Hey, I get it, you guys have moved on from Nord Stream 2 is the greatest possible evidence of German appeasement and perfidy.

No, just pointing out they aren't actually giving up cheap Russian gas.
    Worth noting Germany's biggest source of gas is through the trans-Ukrainian Yamal pipeline.
    ydoethur said:

Cardiff University "defended messages referring to academics as an ”ignorant fuckface” and a call to kneecap them as legitimate expressions of free speech, even after one of the signatories had his car window smashed."

Good grief.

Stone the infidels who call Islam intolerant.
  • Tory MPs scratching their heads today at how UK went from being hardliner on Ukraine to having the some of the weakest sanctions to announce today, when reverse has been true of Germany. Something not quite lining up.

Same after Salisbury. The United States, not Britain, led the way on sanctions, for all the blue team pointing at Jeremy Corbyn.
    pigeon said:

A lot of people have been obsessing over case rates (going back to the times when they indeed did portend calamity, of course,) for so long that they now appear incapable of stopping. It's small wonder that the Government, apparently, wants to scrap the Covid dashboard in the near future.
    Indeed this is supported by some scientists (including Professor Francois Balloux) who argues that daily updates of positive tests achieve nothing much now and might be actively detrimental.
    Andy_JS said:
    He's given up because refusal has grown so widespread that the rule has long since become unenforceable, to the extent that TfL had the willpower, the manpower and the backing in law to attempt to enforce it in the first place. When I was last in the metropolis the weekend before last, mask adherence on the Tube seemed to have fallen to about 50%.

Trying to mandate anything when people are seen both to flout the rules and get away with doing so just makes the authorities look weak and foolish.
  • ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

Then the school fees go up to pay the fine, the payoff for whoever sent it, the consultant's fee to explain what happened, and the higher salary for someone halfway competent.

Why do you think the polls are so negative about Freedom Day 2 though? PB last night was very much the other way, saying No, Mike, not a mistake.
    1. There is a strong authoritarian streak in British society that approves of people being bossed about
    2. Not entirely uncoincidentally, the population also contains a vast number of old people
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161
    Interesting news, a scale up tech company I invested a couple of years ago in has just raised more money and intends to increase their office footprint in Old Street. They're moving out of a serviced Wework and are now looking for their own space with 2x the number of seats. The company founder said in the email that he believes the office hasn't had it's day and their staff are now coming back in for 2-4 days per week and they expect to reach 80% of working days in office by the end of the year.

I guess it's different for a tech company where the average age of employees is 30 and most live in zone 2 and 3 already. I wonder what level of in office days non tech companies will reach.

Additionally, business trips are back on for us! Saw the email flash up that out company has been told by the Japanese government that entry restrictions for vaccinated people will be eased "imminently"

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Ohshit. That is bad.

But I think it unlikely.

I agree with you on the emails.

But World War 3 – FFS – why fight hyperbole with hysteria?
    Is Germany beginning to regret closing down their nuclear power stations? 65% of their gas supplies come from Russia.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Good grief.

Stone the infidels who call Islam intolerant.
    Anti-Terf is not a pacifist religion. Anti-Terf will hit back, and sometimes hit back first.

With apologies to Ayatollah Khomeini.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    pigeon said:

1. There is a strong authoritarian streak in British society that approves of people being bossed about
    2. Not entirely uncoincidentally, the population also contains a vast number of old people
    Polling on COVID measures tends to be "more restrictions are always awesome".

This is not necessarily connected with whether the measures are a good idea or not.

Nor is connected to the long term polling effect, if the measures are eased and it is a success.
    Andy_JS said:

Is Germany beginning to regret closing down their nuclear power stations? 65% of their gas supplies come from Russia.

And to think they could replace it all just by getting Schroeder to stand underneath 500 wind turbines.
    edited February 2022

The polling in the header highlights the disadvantage of having someone like BoJo as PM. One of his key talents is intuiting what the person in front of him wants to hear and saying that to them. It's a great power in winning elections, so I'm not knocking it. Really.

However.

In this case, BoJo has to please two audiences- his Brexity MPs and his Brexity voters. And they largely want different things, and always have. The MPs mainly want him to be more libertarian- global swashbuckling and no Covid restrictions. The voters in the country mainly want him to be more protectionist, economically, socially and in public health terms.

Riding two horses, at least for a while, is another of BoJo's talents. Useful in politics (who said "if you can't ride two horses, don't join the circus"?), but at some point, it stops working. I don't know when, but at some point ...

Unusually, I think you've called this wrong. Not the overall diagnosis, but this polling highlighting it. I think it is nothing more than the public being more hawkish on Covid than politicians, but not enduringly so - once the situation moves on people will forget even being against the move. Anabobazina has called this right I think, polling on the subject is junk.
  • nico679 said:

All they appear to have done for now is to temporarily pause the approval process, having until now pressed on regardless. All that can be easily restarted.

It's not as though they're threatening to demolish the pipeline and terminal in the event of a full scale invasion.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    ydoethur said:

Good grief.

Harshness to heretics is no vice. Kindness is.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

pigeon said:

Polling on COVID measures tends to be "more restrictions are always awesome".

This is not necessarily connected with whether the measures are a good idea or not.

Nor is connected to the long term polling effect, if the measures are eased and it is a success.
    There’s a sizeable minority who would keep restrictions indefinitely.

Some people on Twitter are suggesting that the UK’a sanctions are so weak that Putin must have kompromat on Johnson.

I think that’s paranoiac.

The truth is simply that Johnson isn’t very good at the whole governing thing.

It's not paranoid, just silly. It implies Putin could know something about Johnson that's worse than what we already all know about him, which seems highly improbable.
This discussion has been closed.