Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer out of line on Brexit with GE2019 LAB voters – new poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Very bemused about the attacks on Starmer moving away from GE19 policies.

Labour lost in a landslide, that calls for a wholesale change of the policies and the offer. I voted for Starmer to deliver that change.

I think it’s bad faith nonsense that people say he was going to renationalise things. It was quite clear to me when he was being voted in that that wasn’t going to happen
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Millennium Dome is being torn to shreds.

Excellent, about time we got rid of that eyesore.
    You'd end up going from an intact eyesore to a dilapidated eyesore, hardly an improvement.
    Demolish it and build something useful on the site.
    It's a pretty impressive concert venue. Guessing you don't like it just because it was New Labour? I mean it was vacuous Blair vanity at the time but certainly isn't now.

I think it would be a shame to dismantle everything about Cool Britannia. It was the last occasion when Britain had anything Great about it. All downhill since.
    PMSL.

So that joke of a site is more "Great" than the 2012 Olympics to name a more recent example?

You're a joke.
    Come on Philip. Is that kind of aggression really necessary? The 02 is an amazing concert venue. I doubt from your post that you've ever been.

I think the Olympics was amazing. Not a venue as such but amazing. That was also a Cool Britannia outcome and owed a huge amount to Tessa Jowell amongst others (whatever Boris tried to claim).

Leave off the personal abuse okay?
    I've been a couple of times, I wasn't that impressed with it. I wouldn't say it was an "amazing" concert venue.

However my wife loved the fact that they had a Spur restaurant there last time we went, so I'll give them credit for that. No idea if its still there or not.
    I've seen four events at the O2 - The Who, Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Simon/Sting, and The Avengers Live.

If I were to give a single piece of advice, one to live by, it would be never watch "The Avengers Live". It was perhaps the worst two hours of my life.
    So you've never been to a Radiohead gig.
    Yesterday, @HYUFD was talking about how University would be the highpoint of most Oxford graduates' lives. I said that I went to Cambridge, and enjoyed it, but that I've had higher higlights.

Live music is one of those highlights.

Radiohead at Victoria Park during the In Rainbows tour was one highlight. Likewise at Sheperds Bush during HTTH.

I've been to a couple of utterly sublime The National concerts too.
    Best gig I ever went to was the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park in June 2004.

The band were fantastic, but one of the warm up acts was James Brown, and oh my god, he was fantastic, had so much energy for someone in his 70s, he had 100,000 people jumping up and down that day.
    Mine was The Specials at Alexandra Palace in 2011, the memories of my youth came flooding back and Terry even smiled.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

You'd end up going from an intact eyesore to a dilapidated eyesore, hardly an improvement.
    It's a pretty impressive concert venue. Guessing you don't like it just because it was New Labour? I mean it was vacuous Blair vanity at the time but certainly isn't now.

I think it would be a shame to dismantle everything about Cool Britannia. It was the last occasion when Britain had anything Great about it. All downhill since.
    PMSL.

So that joke of a site is more "Great" than the 2012 Olympics to name a more recent example?

You're a joke.
    Come on Philip. Is that kind of aggression really necessary? The 02 is an amazing concert venue. I doubt from your post that you've ever been.

I think the Olympics was amazing. Not a venue as such but amazing. That was also a Cool Britannia outcome and owed a huge amount to Tessa Jowell amongst others (whatever Boris tried to claim).

I've been a couple of times, I wasn't that impressed with it. I wouldn't say it was an "amazing" concert venue.

However my wife loved the fact that they had a Spur restaurant there last time we went, so I'll give them credit for that. No idea if its still there or not.
    I've seen four events at the O2 - The Who, Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Simon/Sting, and The Avengers Live.

If I were to give a single piece of advice, one to live by, it would be never watch "The Avengers Live". It was perhaps the worst two hours of my life.
    Yesterday, @HYUFD was talking about how University would be the highpoint of most Oxford graduates' lives. I said that I went to Cambridge, and enjoyed it, but that I've had higher higlights.

Radiohead at Victoria Park during the In Rainbows tour was one highlight. Likewise at Sheperds Bush during HTTH.

What was that band that I think @Richard_Tyndall and some others were going on about that was so good - a name something like the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

As for concerts my very first was seeing The Jam at Poplar Town Hall and standing on Poplar tube station afterwards as some skinheads ran through it hitting people at random (but not me for some unknown reason).

I think @isam and I swapped similar anecdotes.
    Is there a Poplar tube station?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

Do they only last two hours ?
    It only feels like a lifetime
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

On topic, it's not a big deal for Labour. Because

(a) EU membership - by and large - is not something that most people want to refight right now
    and
    (b) Starmer only really needs to be slightly more pro-EU than the Conservative Party to cause them some trouble in this area - because where else are pro-EU voters going to go?

Indeed, I think the second of these issues is a headache for the Conservatives. Take me, I'm a Leave voting Eurosceptic, but I also think that triggering Article 16 now would be an enormous act of bad faith by the Government, given that development of the Trusted Trader Programme is now happening at some speed. And when Starmer says things - as in the header, or what he said about the Stop The War nutters - I *could* see myself voting for him.

Fortunately, Ms Rayner jumps up and prevents it *actually* happening.

Angela Rayner too Blairite for you in her condemnation of low-level nuisance crime that blights the lives of many? Remember the idea of marching hooligans to ATMs? Hug-a-hoodie was a Conservative policy.
    She is just nauseating. She is the Labour equivalent of Jacob Rees Mogg; the very worst incarnation of their party's worst stereotype.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,548

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

Best gig I ever went to was the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park in June 2004.

The band were fantastic, but one of the warm up acts was James Brown, and oh my god, he was fantastic, had so much energy for someone in his 70s, he had 100,000 people jumping up and down that day.
    Biggest gig I've seen was Bruce Springsteen at the Circus Maximus in Rome. With typically Italian organisation, no crowd anti-surge barriers etc.

He played until he ran out of back catalogue - past midnight. Must have been 5 hours.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

The best gigs I went to were the Pogues at Brixton Academy, Christmas shows, every year from the late 00's - early 10's. The crowd at these gigs was incredible, like being at a football match - like no other gig I have ever ever been to. Sad that they stopped.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

The Olympics was great because the facilities were pretty good and Londoners embraced the Olympics. The actual parts of the project that had any political oversight (such as the God-awful logo, opening ceremony, and hideous mascots) were risible.
    The opening ceremony was brilliant. The closing, not so much.
    Except the NHS obsession. Made us look like a nation of hypochondriacs. Oh, hang on a sec....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

The best gigs I went to were the Pogues at Brixton Academy, Christmas shows, every year from the late 00's - early 10's. The crowd at these gigs was incredible, like being at a football match - like no other gig I have ever ever been to. Sad that they stopped.
    Didn’t Madness used to do something similar around Christmas?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,402

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

What was that band that I think @Richard_Tyndall and some others were going on about that was so good - a name something like the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

As for concerts my very first was seeing The Jam at Poplar Town Hall and standing on Poplar tube station afterwards as some skinheads ran through it hitting people at random (but not me for some unknown reason).

*google* it doesn't seem there was.

**google again** - found the gig though - June 1977 ffs how was I allowed to go to that at my then tender age... https://thejam.org.uk/home/live/the-gigs
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,384

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Wasn't the Dome a Major wheeze?
    The Dome wasn't the issue imo, it was the contents. A better plan would have been to build the thing as an arena in the first place, and just put on 'the Millenium show' there. Which imo should have been just like the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo crossed with Andre Rieux crossed with the Disney Parade crossed with Last Night of the Proms.

In actual fact, you could have done what they did for the Queen's Golden Jubilee concerts, have two - have a rockier one for 'da kidz' and a more classical one for the crumblies.

Even if it had had to close early due to lack of interest, there would have been no issue, just put a different show on our sell the site early. Easy to say with hindsight.
    The major problem with the exhibition in 2000 is that Mandelson et al couldn't decide whether it should be educational or entertaining. So it ended up being neither.
    It *was* entertaining. They hired that mad french guy to run it. He popped up on TV all the time trying to ramp his tent of tat. "Just another crazy day at ze Dome" he said when the place got robbed by bulldozer...

Oh you meant the exhibits entertaining? Screw that, they wanted £20 to come in.
    £20 to come in? SeanT would be able to say if that's value or not...
    Whatever happened to SeanT?

Maybe we miss someone who could put together an interesting sentence, even if his day job was writing whole books of such stuff to people about to board long distance coach journeys from Victoria Coach Station?

All we’ve had since are pale imitations obsessed about UFOs and why he decided, on the day of the vote, to plump for Brexit nearly six years ago.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

Mine was The Specials at Alexandra Palace in 2011, the memories of my youth came flooding back and Terry even smiled.
    The one I remember but wouldn't call it the best (for obvious reasons) was Morrisey being bottled off at Madstock for being a racist twat.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

(a) EU membership - by and large - is not something that most people want to refight right now
    and
    (b) Starmer only really needs to be slightly more pro-EU than the Conservative Party to cause them some trouble in this area - because where else are pro-EU voters going to go?

Indeed, I think the second of these issues is a headache for the Conservatives. Take me, I'm a Leave voting Eurosceptic, but I also think that triggering Article 16 now would be an enormous act of bad faith by the Government, given that development of the Trusted Trader Programme is now happening at some speed. And when Starmer says things - as in the header, or what he said about the Stop The War nutters - I *could* see myself voting for him.

Angela Rayner too Blairite for you in her condemnation of low-level nuisance crime that blights the lives of many? Remember the idea of marching hooligans to ATMs? Hug-a-hoodie was a Conservative policy.
    She is just nauseating. She is the Labour equivalent of Jacob Rees Mogg; the very worst incarnation of their party's worst stereotype.
    Surely you could link Crime Reduction to hiring retired PIRA members to set up Community Restorative Justice in various areas of the UK?

1) Promote the Good Friday Peace process
    2) Get the Corbynites on board
    3) Reduce crime

Get it sponsored by Hiliti tools and it might even be profitable.....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

and

I’m thinking many PB’ers wouldn’t take too long in choosing with which of them they’d rather spend an evening?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

Didn’t Madness used to do something similar around Christmas?
    Yep up to at least 2019 - the last time they played Newcastle at Christmas I seem to remember they had both an afternoon and an evening gig.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

**google again** - found the gig though - June 1977 ffs how was I allowed to go to that at my then tender age... https://thejam.org.uk/home/live/the-gigs
    I'd guess Bow Road, looking at the map?
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

The one I remember but wouldn't call it the best (for obvious reasons) was Morrisey being bottled off at Madstock for being a racist twat.
    I also remember going to a Clash concert (Remote Control tour) when some skinheads got up on stage and beat up the support act, Suicide.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

The Dome wasn't the issue imo, it was the contents. A better plan would have been to build the thing as an arena in the first place, and just put on 'the Millenium show' there. Which imo should have been just like the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo crossed with Andre Rieux crossed with the Disney Parade crossed with Last Night of the Proms.

In actual fact, you could have done what they did for the Queen's Golden Jubilee concerts, have two - have a rockier one for 'da kidz' and a more classical one for the crumblies.

Even if it had had to close early due to lack of interest, there would have been no issue, just put a different show on our sell the site early. Easy to say with hindsight.
    The major problem with the exhibition in 2000 is that Mandelson et al couldn't decide whether it should be educational or entertaining. So it ended up being neither.
    It *was* entertaining. They hired that mad french guy to run it. He popped up on TV all the time trying to ramp his tent of tat. "Just another crazy day at ze Dome" he said when the place got robbed by bulldozer...

Maybe we miss someone who could put together an interesting sentence, even if his day job was writing whole books of such stuff to people about to board long distance coach journeys from Victoria Coach Station?

All we’ve had since are pale imitations obsessed about UFOs and why he decided, on the day of the vote, to plump for Brexit nearly six years ago.
    SeanT is still on Twitter.

He was in Sri Lanka, of all places, last week, writing an article for the Telegraph.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/sri-lanka/trend-country-offers-five-star-winter-sun-good-prices-sri-lanka/
  • Options
    Applicant said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

I'd guess Bow Road, looking at the map?
    Yes could have been. I can remember it very clearly, funnily enough, despite the years. Could have been the first time I was smacked around but managed just to stay still and avoid it. I think I must have been young enough for them to have thought: it's not werf it.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Very bemused about the attacks on Starmer moving away from GE19 policies.

Labour lost in a landslide, that calls for a wholesale change of the policies and the offer. I voted for Starmer to deliver that change.

I think it’s bad faith nonsense that people say he was going to renationalise things. It was quite clear to me when he was being voted in that that wasn’t going to happen

You are correct of course, but its also true the left are starting to go their own way. They had two candidates in the recent run of local by-elections, and they have a candidate in Erdington.

The voters giveth and the voters taketh away.
  • Options

Ok, so now I’m glued to Big Jet TV…

I doubt it’s very interesting when it’s just a succession of aeroplanes landing quite normally.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

Starmer just needs to give enough to the unreconciled remainers for them to reluctantly vote labour in marginal constituencies to get the Tories out. The reality is that they have had their opportunity to overturn the result in the aftermath of the referendum and they failed to persuade the wider electorate of their case.

A bigger problem for Starmer is potentially the stop the war pacifists. They have a lot of support in the wider population, who are lukewarm about conflict with Russia.

“Stop the War” are not pacifists. They are very much in favour of war, so long as it’s *against* the UK, US, Israel and NATO.

They are on Putin’s side, cheering him on from the comfort of their Islington townhouses.
    I don't think these people are the problem. The level of naivety about matters of war and peace in the general population is astonishing. I remember in 2014 colleagues overwhelmingly saying that they don't want to go to war over Ukraine. They would have happily given a free pass to Putin over much of Eastern Europe. I imagine it is the same situation now, and we haven't really been tested. Of course, this is all part of Putin's calculations, and encouraged by broadcasting output and influencing of social media. Stop the war just play on this type of public ignorance.

The meme that we 'shouldn't poke the Russian Bear' is essentially part of this same thinking. After all this, the only way that we will get any respect from Russia is by either arming Ukraine (in a conditional way) or bringing it in to NATO. Thats the only way the bear gets the message and backs off.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Eunice is an interesting name for a storm that gives a good blow.

I wonder if there will ever be one called Monica?

More seriously, in evidence of the damaging effects of the patriarchy...

"Do people judge hurricane risks in the context of gender-based expectations? We use more than six decades of death rates from US hurricanes to show that feminine-named hurricanes cause significantly more deaths than do masculine-named hurricanes. Laboratory experiments indicate that this is because hurricane names lead to gender-based expectations about severity and this, in turn, guides respondents’ preparedness to take protective action."
    Let's hope we don't have a trans hurricane then. The confusion would be immense, as people tried to decide whether there was a safe space.
    Wasn't it a hurricane that identified as a light storm that got Michael Fish into trouble?
    No. It was the duty forecaster at the Met Office.

Incidentally, the Met Office supercomputer in 1987 had less processing power than today's mobile phones.
    The most remarkable factoid about the current storm is that its severity was predicted, by the climatic models, before it had even formed as an entity on the weather map. Such are the advances that have been made in long range weather forecasting over the past decade.
    The oddest thing about the 1987 storm was that a random civilian took the trouble to call the Met Office and predict a hurricane and instead of just saying 'thanks, we'll let you know' Michael Fish took the trouble of quoting her on the evening forecast simply in order to dismiss it. It does make you wonder if there was more to it than met the eye.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Heseltine and Mandelson were its main champions
    I remember a meeting with Mandelson in the Trafalgar Tavern where we persuaded him to build it in Greenwich rather than Birmingham ( which was the original plan).
  • Options
    edited February 2022

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

PMSL.

You're a joke.

Oxford Circus is very poplar.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I doubt it’s very interesting when it’s just a succession of aeroplanes landing quite normally.
    Which is pretty much what’s happening now.

It’s been an hour or so since one went around, albeit with some sideways and bouncy landings.
  • Options
    What a bloody phenomenal game of curling.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    darkage said:

Starmer just needs to give enough to the unreconciled remainers for them to reluctantly vote labour in marginal constituencies to get the Tories out. The reality is that they have had their opportunity to overturn the result in the aftermath of the referendum and they failed to persuade the wider electorate of their case.

A bigger problem for Starmer is potentially the stop the war pacifists. They have a lot of support in the wider population, who are lukewarm about conflict with Russia.

Lukewarm about war with Russia?

obviously loonies. Real men want to learn to live with instant sunshine being lobbed back and forth.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Which is pretty much what’s happening now.

It’s been an hour or so since one went around, albeit with some sideways and bouncy landings.
    Yet the Amorique is still doing circles at sea off the island. Time to head for port, I suggest?

The island ferries are now running again so North Island residents will be relieved to hear that you are no longer cut off.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

What a bloody phenomenal game of curling.

When you go to Scotland it’s a wonder that there is so much litter about.
  • Options
    The only thing I recall from the Millennium exhibition was a 10-a-side bar football table. As the canonical version is the only sport at which I have ever excelled I waited patiently for my moment of glory, only to discover that the ball was endlessly stuck in the mid-field and the forwards and goalies never got a look-in.

But I also remember Mandy getting a grilling on the Today programme before the event and in answer to every probing question he kept referring to something or other as 'the game of the 21st century'. What was it? It certainly wasn't 10-a-side bar footy.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    IanB2 said:

Late to the party. Cockney geezer commentary as well! What more could you ask for?
  • Options

The only thing I recall from the Millennium exhibition was a 10-a-side bar football table. As the canonical version is the only sport at which I have ever excelled I waited patiently for my moment of glory, only to discover that the ball was endlessly stuck in the mid-field and the forwards and goalies never got a look-in.

But I also remember Mandy getting a grilling on the Today programme before the event and in answer to every probing question he kept referring to something or other as 'the game of the 21st century'. What was it? It certainly wasn't 10-a-side bar footy.

Korfball?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

He was in Sri Lanka, of all places, last week, writing an article for the Telegraph.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/sri-lanka/trend-country-offers-five-star-winter-sun-good-prices-sri-lanka/
    What a coincidence!
  • Options
    OT wind seems to be picking up.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

obviously loonies. Real men want to learn to live with instant sunshine being lobbed back and forth.
    As a general principle, you cannot escape conflict by running away from it. It will eventually catch up with you.

The solution to Putin is either to stand up to him so he goes away and either a) bothers someone else or b) comes to a mutually workable settlement over the various issues concerning the eastern border. The path to date, which can be summarised as decadent cowardice, is an easy one to take but one that has simply stored up more and more problems, of which the current crisis is a manifestation.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

The major problem in 2000 is the Millennium Dome was almost impossible to get to. The transport infrastructure wasn't there. The same issue doomed the private sector London Arena.
    It was great if you lived in London and could just jump on the Jubilee Line. But for everyone else, coming from the rest of the country mostly by car, it was a total nightmare.
    The Dome would have been better off not being in London.
    It isn't in London, it's South of the River.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

What a coincidence!
    Perhaps SeanT’s presence alone is sufficient to cause a surge in demand for a certain knapped product?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    People phoning 999 to report trees blown down?
    Honestly!!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

darkage said:

Slackers. Really Real Men (TM) *want* to play Global Thermonuclear War......
  • Options

Korfball?
    Maybe. Something-ball, anyway. I was going to suggest puffball but I didn't want to be accused of hate speech. Is there a national Korfball team somewhere, struggling for recognition (or lottery funding)?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    slade said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Heseltine and Mandelson were its main champions
    I remember a meeting with Mandelson in the Trafalgar Tavern where we persuaded him to build it in Greenwich rather than Birmingham ( which was the original plan).
    So everyone would have been jammed in at New Street rather than West Ham?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

As a general principle, you cannot escape conflict by running away from it. It will eventually catch up with you.

The solution to Putin is either to stand up to him so he goes away and either a) bothers someone else or b) comes to a mutually workable settlement over the various issues concerning the eastern border. The path to date, which can be summarised as decadent cowardice, is an easy one to take but one that has simply stored up more and more problems, of which the current crisis is a manifestation.
    At present we are arming Ukraine, others are funding them, and as well as intelligence support we are also giving significant diplomatic support. All that seems reasonable.

Deploying troops into Ukraine (alone as the US has said that they won't) or bringing them into NATO (for which they are not currently eligible) would be significantly risky of a British expeditionary force being wiped out.

It is not a choice of war vs doing nothing. Plenty of expansionist dictators have been contained in the past.
  • Options
    OT the fish and chip shop has just phoned to make sure I'm all right.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

We thought making huge sums of money might bring them around to our way of thinking. Same as China.
    In fact their money has corrupted us.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669

I take it you are a regular?
  • Options

Korfball?
    Maybe. Something-ball, anyway. I was going to suggest puffball but I didn't want to be accused of hate speech. Is there a national Korfball team somewhere, struggling for recognition (or lottery funding)?
    Google claims korfball is a real sport so perhaps it was not that. Fairly sure the joke at the time was Mandelson had just thought of a name and someone would fill in the details later.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Seven days a week. Protein, fat and carbohydrates: all the major food groups.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

People phoning 999 to report trees blown down?
    Honestly!!

Locally we've had a tree down across a road, taking with it overhead power lines. Fortunately only to a few houses, but it's closed the main road. Apparently people who want to get through are arguing with the police and fire service.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    Cosplay Clown strikes again

RAF plane flew hundreds of miles for Boris Johnson photoshoot before flying straight back http://news.sky.com/story/raf-plane-flew-hundreds-of-miles-for-boris-johnson-photoshoot-before-flying-straight-back-12545334
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    There are two delusions going on here. Delusion 1: that the UK would do anything other than permanently leave the European Union. Delusion 2: that Brexit would be anything other than a bad mistake.

The only sensible discussion right now is how to make the best of a bad job and how we might limit the damage. It's a discussion no party is prepared to enter into.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

We thought making huge sums of money might bring them around to our way of thinking. Same as China.
    In fact their money has corrupted us.
    The same as China.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

What a coincidence!
    I'm shocked at the number of coincidences where Leon happens to be in the same place at the exact same time as that SeanT bloke.

One or other of them clearly has a stalker / is stalking the other one and they really should sort out a restraining order.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Heathrow 36 gusting 50 knots, but the wind has veered and is now straight down the runway, so most of the planes are landing successfully.

Oh well, time to turn off Big Jet TV and get back to World War III?
  • Options
    As concerns grew in Europe over an imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine, Germany’s foreign minister suggested for the first time on Friday that military action by Moscow could mean the end of Nord Stream 2, a natural-gas pipeline running from Russia to Germany.

NY Times live blog
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    The middle stack at Grain Power Station appears to have gone? Where there were three, there is now two! #StormEunice (Photo Credit: Katie Foord #Queenborough) https://twitter.com/CllrCABeart/status/1494669632132857860/photo/1
  • Options
    eek said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

What a coincidence!
    I'm shocked at the number of coincidences where Leon happens to be in the same place at the exact same time as that SeanT bloke.

One or other of them clearly has a stalker / is stalking the other one and they really should sort out a restraining order.
    It's a bit like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wilson_(short_story)

Except there are "SeanTs, Mr. Rico. Zillions of em!"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

RAF plane flew hundreds of miles for Boris Johnson photoshoot before flying straight back http://news.sky.com/story/raf-plane-flew-hundreds-of-miles-for-boris-johnson-photoshoot-before-flying-straight-back-12545334

From that story:-

[Boris] added: "Some of the planes here today are going to be used very shortly over the border in Belarus, in Poland, and elsewhere over Ukraine, to see what's going on and to allow us to have even finer detail evaluation of the military dispositions there."

Belarus? The Belarus that currently hosts half the Russian army?
  • Options

The first fish lunch you'd missed in months, then?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,576
    Thanks to everyone who filled me in on my WTF was Millennium Exhibition question. 🙂

I’ve looked into Mandy’s Great exhibition. I feared I had missed out on something, I now have a very different opinion.

How did Labour win a General Election after this?

I mean look at it. Just, look at it.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

The first fish lunch you'd missed in months, then?
    Yes, although I'll probably order tonight after the winds have dropped. Trouble is Friday is always a bit busy for both fish and chips and Deliveroo.
  • Options
    It looks like Holland is next...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,126

Scott_xP said:

[Boris] added: "Some of the planes here today are going to be used very shortly over the border in Belarus, in Poland, and elsewhere over Ukraine, to see what's going on and to allow us to have even finer detail evaluation of the military dispositions there."

It's interesting that the Russian foreign ministry has started talking about the "Union State" border, which incorporates Belarus.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,412

"Do people judge hurricane risks in the context of gender-based expectations? We use more than six decades of death rates from US hurricanes to show that feminine-named hurricanes cause significantly more deaths than do masculine-named hurricanes. Laboratory experiments indicate that this is because hurricane names lead to gender-based expectations about severity and this, in turn, guides respondents’ preparedness to take protective action."
    Let's hope we don't have a trans hurricane then. The confusion would be immense, as people tried to decide whether there was a safe space.
    Wasn't it a hurricane that identified as a light storm that got Michael Fish into trouble?

Incidentally, the Met Office supercomputer in 1987 had less processing power than today's mobile phones.
    The data assimilation model rejected an airplane observation from the Bay of Biscay that just *had* to be instrument error, it was so different to what was expected. If that observation was included the forecast was a lot better.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Sounds like a good place to go see what's going on.
  • Options
    eek said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Applicant said:

MaxPB said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

What a coincidence!

@Leon used to work for the Telegraph before they sacked all their online columnists (and proofreaders!) so he had to take a lesser-paying job on the Flintknappers Gazette.

He is jealously stalking this SeanT interloper who has pinched his Fleet Street job.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MoD base getting a visit from a VIP, decides to make sure they actually have something to show him. Hold the front pages!
  • Options

Thanks to everyone who filled me in on my WTF was Millennium Exhibition question. 🙂

I’ve looked into Mandy’s Great exhibition. I feared I had missed out on something, I now have a very different opinion.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    There's no point in Starmer trying to revisit this issue.

He'll get the votes of stauch Remainers (or they'll vote Lib Dem) in any case. What he doesn't want to do is rally Leavers behind the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Wind looks as though it's shifting round to the North a little.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,576

Indeed.
    You could actually go in the belly button of the New Labour beast?

Is this what they called Cool Britannia?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,488

kjh said:

Add some ketchup and you've got one of your five a day right there, too.

And five of your one* a day of salt

*1tsp, roughly
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Shades of this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNLeC-eMUQ

Which was based on the true story of https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-true-story-behind-the-famous-sequence-of-thirteen-days-movie-featuring-the-rf-8-crusader-low-level-high-speed-run-over-cuba-during-the-missile-crisis/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He'll get the votes of stauch Remainers (or they'll vote Lib Dem) in any case. What he doesn't want to do is rally Leavers behind the Conservatives.

No need to rejoin, but certainly possible to revisit the agreement, particularly by reducing red tape and delays, which in practice means dynamic recognition of European standards and regulations across broad areas. This largely resolves the NI issue too.

This should be Starmers policy. Brexit remains but definitely softer.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,412
    IanB2 said:

The most remarkable factoid about the current storm is that its severity was predicted, by the climatic models, before it had even formed as an entity on the weather map. Such are the advances that have been made in long range weather forecasting over the past decade.
    That was true of Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Forecast spot-on with a ten-day lead time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

I marked my card with the whips by opposing the thing soon after I was first elected - I'm suspicious of all "prestige projects" (hello HS2) and was much in demand for interviews, which tended to morph into a "Labour faces first rebellion" theme. Not sure Mandelson ever forgave me. There was some sort of compromise scaling it down, which I accepted as reasonable - typically, nobody wanted to interview me to say that.

I'm not sure, in retrospect, that I'd have picked that issue as the first one to fight over. But it really was a pretty rubbish project.
  • Options
    No! Really? I’m shocked I tell you, shocked!

And confirming WaPo: The US has obtained intelligence suggesting that Russia’s claim of pulling back forces earlier this week was deliberate disinformation designed to make the West think they were de escalating while moving more forces toward the border: cnn.com/2022/02/18/pol…

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1494681324900204545?s=21
  • Options
    Off topic, just a Sky news flash that GB Olympic team has lost the 4x100m relay silver medal after a failed drugs test.

How long are these tests taking?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124
    Prince Harry's approval rating amongst Britons has plunged from +65% in 2011 to -20% now.

Meghan's has also collapsed from +35% in 2017 to -36% now
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1494699694278197250?s=20&t=EhnjfcH0gditQIRXi-WZEA
  • Options

As concerns grew in Europe over an imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine, Germany’s foreign minister suggested for the first time on Friday that military action by Moscow could mean the end of Nord Stream 2, a natural-gas pipeline running from Russia to Germany.

NY Times live blog

It's a finely balanced judgment. The Americans fear Nordstream 2 because they believe it would give the Russians the whip hand over Europe whereas Europeans are in favour because they calculate that Russian dependency on eurocash would make them more malleable. The clever thing about it is that the rate of flow can be carefully adjusted at each end, leading to more or less pressure as the situation demands. But obviously it has to be finished, first.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Classic 'it was an accident' excuses. Hope it is not widespread doping, but the risk is clearly worth it for people. Heck, you might as well when your nation faces no consequences if you get caught, there's no pressure on you to stop.

Great Britain have been stripped of the silver medal won in the 4x100m relay at last summer's Tokyo Olympics after team member CJ Ujah was found to have committed a doping violation...

The 27-year-old says he "unknowingly consumed a contaminated substance" and the situation is one he "will regret for the rest of my life".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60437373
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

No need to rejoin, but certainly possible to revisit the agreement, particularly by reducing red tape and delays, which in practice means dynamic recognition of European standards and regulations across broad areas. This largely resolves the NI issue too.

This should be Starmers policy. Brexit remains but definitely softer.
    He could call it 'Make Brexit Work', who knew?
  • Options

NY Times live blog

It's a finely balanced judgment. The Americans fear Nordstream 2 because they believe it would give the Russians the whip hand over Europe whereas Europeans are in favour because they calculate that Russian dependency on eurocash would make them more malleable. The clever thing about it is that the rate of flow can be carefully adjusted at each end, leading to more or less pressure as the situation demands. But obviously it has to be finished, first.
    The real problem with NordStream2 that Russia can then cut off countries in the "Near Abroad" without interfering with supplies to Germany etc.

So they can divide an conquer - threaten countries near them and even cut them off, separately to German gas supplies.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Prince Harry's approval rating amongst Britons has plunged from +65% in 2011 to -20% now.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1494699694278197250?s=20&t=EhnjfcH0gditQIRXi-WZEA

It's going to be tough for Harry to win the next monarch election.
    When does the Witan meet?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,275

IanB2 said:

The oddest thing about the 1987 storm was that a random civilian took the trouble to call the Met Office and predict a hurricane and instead of just saying 'thanks, we'll let you know' Michael Fish took the trouble of quoting her on the evening forecast simply in order to dismiss it. It does make you wonder if there was more to it than met the eye.
    That is a complete misrepresentation of what happened. A lady had heard about a hurricaine in the west indies and rang about that asking if it was coming to the UK. She wasn't predicting anything. He also said that while no hurricane was coming (true) it would be a bit breezy (understatement). What happened was similar to todays storm, with the track not going as expected and also a bit more intense, with the as yet unknown 'sting jet' phenonomen, which caused the real damage in the SE.
    Its also important to recall that we have had 34 years of improvments in computer modelling of weather and were able to predict Eunice days ago, before it had even started forming. Even with that there was disagreement across the models as recently as two days ago.
    The MET instituted an internal review after the 1987 storm. Now we have excellent weather warning systems and so far in the UK, no lives have been lost.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

At present we are arming Ukraine, others are funding them, and as well as intelligence support we are also giving significant diplomatic support. All that seems reasonable.

Deploying troops into Ukraine (alone as the US has said that they won't) or bringing them into NATO (for which they are not currently eligible) would be significantly risky of a British expeditionary force being wiped out.

It is not a choice of war vs doing nothing. Plenty of expansionist dictators have been contained in the past.
    I never said that we should go to war with Russia. I said that we should stand up to them, which we have just about started to do, about 10 years too late. I think it would be foolish to rule out NATO membership for Ukraine or Finland. If Putin wants to avoid that, he needs to back off, not encircle the east of the country with hundreds of thousands of troops.
    There is a persistent trend to pretend that anyone in favour of at least attempting to talk tougher on Russia is in favour of all out war or something. It happens too often to not be deliberate, and as with other tactics like suggesting talking tough might cause invasion, is at best unintentionally playing into misplaced both sidesism.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Rather bizarrely, Scottish Green MSP Ross Greer has decided to double-down on the already bizarre decision of the SNP to sow confusion about Scots pensions.

Apparently, the fact that, after the American Civil War, the victorious Union Govt went on to pay the pensions of the losing Confederates is a useful debating point when considering what might happen after Indy...

If you're tiring of wind and Russians, there's more here: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/scottish-greens-enter-scexit-pensions-farce

To be fair, it was news to me that the the last widowers' pension for a Confederate service personnel was paid out in 2012.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Full royal net approval rankings

Queen +73
    William +66
    Kate +65
    Anne +54
    Charles +28
    Edward +28
    Camilla +11

Harry -20
    Meghan -36
    Andrew -80
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1494696056583602179?s=20&t=6dlYUQyYe_Nw4ND3Xa-zdg
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

And they've been sitting still for a few weeks now, itching to take a pot at something.

It's one aspect of the big build-up that puzzles me, not being a military type. What do you do with an army that size in the middle of winter with nothing on the daily timetable? Do they all just hang about cleaning their rifles, writing letters home?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889

Applicant said:

Scott_xP said:

Shades of this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNLeC-eMUQ

Which was based on the true story of https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-true-story-behind-the-famous-sequence-of-thirteen-days-movie-featuring-the-rf-8-crusader-low-level-high-speed-run-over-cuba-during-the-missile-crisis/
    Never seen that! Must be CGI, they can't still have flying ones?
  • Options

NY Times live blog

The real problem with NordStream2 that Russia can then cut off countries in the "Near Abroad" without interfering with supplies to Germany etc.

So they can divide an conquer - threaten countries near them and even cut them off, separately to German gas supplies.
    Couldn't the Germans then supply those countries with gas from NordStream2, i.e. pipe gas in the opposite direction?
  • Options

kjh said:

Chps are the main source of vitamin C in the British diet. Potatoes are not especially heavy in it, but volume keeps the number up, and frying keeps the vit c compared with boiling. Add some mushy peas and you are sorted...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Full royal net approval rankings

Queen +73
    William +66
    Kate +65
    Anne +54
    Charles +28
    Edward +28
    Camilla +11

Harry -20
    Meghan -36
    Andrew -80
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1494696056583602179?s=20&t=6dlYUQyYe_Nw4ND3Xa-zdg
    Those Diana fans will never relax for a moment.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew and Harry were both posed the same life question- what's the point of the Spare Heir once the line of succession decisively moves away from you.

Harry's answer looks a lot saner and healthier than Andrew's.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Zemmour back to second in new IFOP French Presidential election poll, just ahead of Le Pen and Pecresse

France, Ifop-Fiducial poll:

Presidential election

Macron (LREM-RE): 25% (-0.5)
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 16.5% (+1.5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 16% (-1)
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 15%
    Melenchon (LFI - LEFT): 10.5%

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1494701770169323523?s=20&t=6dlYUQyYe_Nw4ND3Xa-zdg
This discussion has been closed.