Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Johnson’s survival over past month is bad news for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited March 2022 in General
imageJohnson’s survival over past month is bad news for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Just cast your mind back to the end of January when “partygate” was at its height and the prevailing assumption was that Johnson would not survive with the likely successor being Rishi Sunak. That’s not happened. Johnson set up the Gray investigation which was then taken up by the Met all taking the immediate sting out of the whole business.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742
    And my current guess is that Boris will not be PM going into the next election.
  • And my current guess is that Boris will not be PM going into the next election.

He will be. Everything that's happened over recent weeks proves that he has the political muscle to make it so.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

He will be. Everything that's happened over recent weeks proves that he has the political muscle to make it so.
    Or the political muscle to create a delay.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    May election results will be last and I suspect the decisive point at which move will be made to dump Johnson. I find it unlikely there wont be a notable reaction at the polls with him in charge.
    It appears that for now at least we have a clear position that Russia hasn't sent any units last seen lurking near the Ukrainian border back home. One European official calls it 'repositioning'
    Yokes said:

It appears that for now at least we have a clear position that Russia hasn't sent any units last seen lurking near the Ukrainian border back home. One European official calls it 'repositioning'

In the same way the UK repositioned its relationship with the EU?
    philiph said:

Yokes said:

That is so 2016.
    Yokes said:

philiph said:

Yokes said:

That is so 2016.
    Indeed it is.
    Kind if reassuring, remembering life before pandemic.
    philiph said:

Yokes said:

philiph said:

Yokes said:

That is so 2016.
    Indeed it is.
    Kind if reassuring, remembering life before pandemic.
    Yeah 2016 was alright. Politicos may remember the referendum but for me it was a rather fun trip to the Euros in France
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    So Yokes,

Are you calling

a) No Russia invasion of Ukraine

b) Johnson gets removed after the May elections?
    stjohn said:

So Yokes,

Are you calling

a) No Russia invasion of Ukraine

b) Johnson gets removed after the May elections?

a) Don't know, I'm working to the idea of a force deployment that is disproportionate to the task of sabre rattling and therefore there is intent to use it in some way. I think Putin would have expected concessions that he hasn't got, so is in a bind and is maybe still working it out. Russia has a lot of options, even if some are not good.

b) short of proven illegality in the interim, I think so yes. Too many of the public are a bit fed up of him and as soon as the vote winner goes to vote loser, that will get the MPs off the fence and use a crap result as a way to clear house.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Putin's forces in Belarus and along northern Ukraine are a distraction and a deterrent. The real target is Eastern Ukraine - not all of it - just the most Russian parts....
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Totally agree with Mike about this.

Meanwhile likely to be a Red Warning from the Met Office for southern Britain tomorrow.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Starmer at 8 or 9 does appear the value in the next PM market at the moment.

Will the wider country really want to keep talking about 2020 birthday cakes for much longer, even if the Lobby think it’s the most important thing going on in the world right now?

Sunak’s chance of being next PM I think disappears after the May election. His reputation is going to quickly go from being the nice guy handing out piles of money to get us through the pandemic, to being the nasty guy raising taxes while bills are rising.

That said, he’s still young (41) and will have other opportunities in the next couple of decades of leadership contests.
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

Will the wider country really want to keep talking about 2020 birthday cakes for much longer, even if the Lobby think it’s the most important thing going on in the world right now?

Sunak’s chance of being next PM I think disappears after the May election. His reputation is going to quickly go from being the nice guy handing out piles of money to get us through the pandemic, to being the nasty guy raising taxes while bills are rising.

That said, he’s still young (41) and will have other opportunities in the next couple of decades of leadership contests.

It's not just about birthday cakes and your arrogant and flippant attempt to dismiss this shows a typically right-wing disregard for what mattered to so many people in this country. Which is why you will lose the next election.

Your third and fourth paragraphs are contradictory and contain an inherent issue. We're not talking about leadership but about PM. As William Hague discovered, being elected leader at the wrong time is a cul-de-sac.

Sunak will be associated, tainted, with this Government so I think he has already missed his chance. But even if he is elected tory leader after the next election, the country will have moved on.
    The opposition forces will play this so hard at the next election. This is so toxic for the tories. Leave Johnson in and they lose.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1494032978548248578

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    I think Johnson will brass neck it out and while poorish for the Tories the locals will be survivable.

I agree with Mike, the value is on Starmer. Sunak has missed his chance and it won't come again. Indeed I expect him gone in a reshuffle this year, replaced by a plodding yes-man.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    Foxy said:

I think Johnson will brass neck it out and while poorish for the Tories the locals will be survivable.

I agree with Mike, the value is on Starmer. Sunak has missed his chance and it won't come again. Indeed I expect him gone in a reshuffle this year, replaced by a plodding yes-man.

Johnson may have survived the new year onslaught but there's little in the way of `wins' for him in the next few weeks/months as digging into the finances/party scandals and economic costs start to bear, it'll be interesting to see how the Locals GOTV campaign goes by Tory workers - will it be for the PM, or the party they campaign for? and I reckon he'll be in trouble if any more tricky byelections pop up.... still he aint known as the greased piglet for nothing and whilst his Defence Sec and Foreign Sec had reasonable response to the Ukraine crisis, little has reflected back onto BJ
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

He doesn't want to go and his party lacks the willpower to dump him.
    Yokes said:

May election results will be last and I suspect the decisive point at which move will be made to dump Johnson. I find it unlikely there wont be a notable reaction at the polls with him in charge.

MPs don't care about councillors, most of the rural authorities aren't up for election, and any result will be framed by his supporters as a triumph under the circumstances.

The people who wanted rid of Johnson have already tipped their hands and they are insufficient to do the job. They'll now bury their differences with him and trudge on. I believe that the PM has already been invited to address the Scottish Tory conference and there's no sign of any further defections: I suppose it is possible that one or two of them will decide that they're safer following Christian Wakeford across the floor, but it's also quite possible that he'll be the first and last to do so.

Whatever. The rebels, such as they are, will all end up prioritising career over principle. All politicians are basically the same.
  • I think Johnson will survive until the locals at least - and I've been laying Sunak for some time.

He isn't going to be so popular once the tax rises bite.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Foxy said:

Sunak has missed his chance and it won't come again. Indeed I expect him gone in a reshuffle this year, replaced by a plodding yes-man.

Johnson won't want the scheming little fucker causing trouble on the backbenches. He knows how disruptive that can be from the years he spent doing it himself.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Sunak has missed his chance and it won't come again. Indeed I expect him gone in a reshuffle this year, replaced by a plodding yes-man.

Johnson won't want the scheming little fucker causing trouble on the backbenches. He knows how disruptive that can be from the years he spent doing it himself.
    The other issue is, who would he replace him with? It's not that Rishi Sunak is the greatest politician since Disraeli, it's that Johnson is so bad anyone looks good by comparison.

So any Chancellor he promotes is an immediate and serious threat to him. And there is no way Johnson can deal with that.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    I do think that Sunak missed his chance when Boris was truly vulnerable. A major defection from his cabinet a couple of weeks ago and he would have been gone. But the legend of he who weilds the dagger never wears the Crown is strong. Or perhaps Sunak is just naturally cautious. Or likes being Chancellor, which clearly plays to his strengths. Whatever.

Now, his future is tied to Johnson. If he wasn't willing to jump ship during this fiasco it is not obvious how he credibly can in the future. And if Boris is voted out by the MPs before the next election is someone so obviously tied to him the answer? I have my doubts. He's a sell.
  • Sandpit said:

Will the wider country remember that they suffered whilst the crook partied? Yes. Will they talk about nothing else? No. Will they remember that the PM is an amoral liar who thinks the law only applies to the little people? Yes. Will their vote change accordingly? Likely.

I know you are a long way away and don't seem to share the majority opinion that a lying crook in Downing Street is a bad thing. So I understand your question even if I sadly shake my head when I read it.
  • I think Johnson will survive until the locals at least - and I've been laying Sunak for some time.

The battle between them is going to be brutal. Sunak's team have already spun "the Prime Minister's tax rises" in relation to NI. That Number 10 imposed its will over the Treasury isn't a fanciful notion as it has happened before so maybe it is true...

Foxy said:

Johnson may have survived the new year onslaught but there's little in the way of `wins' for him in the next few weeks/months as digging into the finances/party scandals and economic costs start to bear, it'll be interesting to see how the Locals GOTV campaign goes by Tory workers - will it be for the PM, or the party they campaign for? and I reckon he'll be in trouble if any more tricky byelections pop up.... still he aint known as the greased piglet for nothing and whilst his Defence Sec and Foreign Sec had reasonable response to the Ukraine crisis, little has reflected back onto BJ
    I am not expecting any wins for Johnson, and there is much bad news coming. He will hold on, no matter what damage to the party. He is Britain Trump.
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

I don't think Sunak has enough hinterland in the party. He will either accept demotion or go back to back bench obscurity in a summer reshuffle. Johnson needs a big spending chancellor who doesn't care much for fiscal responsibility.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

Will the wider country remember that they suffered whilst the crook partied? Yes. Will they talk about nothing else? No. Will they remember that the PM is an amoral liar who thinks the law only applies to the little people? Yes. Will their vote change accordingly? Likely.

I know you are a long way away and don't seem to share the majority opinion that a lying crook in Downing Street is a bad thing. So I understand your question even if I sadly shake my head when I read it.
    Of course - to play devil's advocate - it didn't seem to overly hurt Blair. Or indeed, Heath, Wilson and Lloyd George.

I think what's different this time is it is so directly personal to so many of us. Particularly as flouting of the rules and then lying about is so very widespread in government - it's not only Johnson that's been doing it, Sunak, Cummings and at least one entire government department are arraigned in the dock as well.

This saga is damaging the credibility of the entire system of government. And while Johnson is a big part of it, he's not the only part. That also means his removal, while clearly necessary, won't in itself restore trust.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    A problem for Sunak is a substantial part of the Tory vote likes “Britain Trump”. He’s not well placed to reach them. Farage is ready and waiting.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783

Sandpit said:

I'm not sure Sandpit has ever acknowledged the concern over a brazenly dishonest PM ?
    It's always a fuss over cakes for him.
    Foxy said:

Johnson needs a big spending chancellor who doesn't care much for fiscal responsibility.

Dehenna Davison. Thick as fuck. Fash curious. Doyenne of the 'redwall'. Slavishly loyal to the Johnson Project. Perfect.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am not expecting any wins for Johnson, and there is much bad news coming. He will hold on, no matter what damage to the party. He is Britain Trump.
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

I don't think Sunak has enough hinterland in the party. He will either accept demotion or go back to back bench obscurity in a summer reshuffle. Johnson needs a big spending chancellor who doesn't care much for fiscal responsibility.
    Nadine Dorries?..... she's not known for being on top of her brief
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

JRM
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,127
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Johnson needs a big spending chancellor who doesn't care much for fiscal responsibility.

Dehenna Davison. Thick as fuck. Fash curious. Doyenne of the 'redwall'. Slavishly loyal to the Johnson Project. Perfect.
    A 28 y/old female MP moving in next door... What could go wrong?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

You CANNOT be serious! But I fear you might be.

Good morning everyone!
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Of course - to play devil's advocate - it didn't seem to overly hurt Blair. Or indeed, Heath, Wilson and Lloyd George.

I think what's different this time is it is so directly personal to so many of us. Particularly as flouting of the rules and then lying about is so very widespread in government - it's not only Johnson that's been doing it, Sunak, Cummings and at least one entire government department are arraigned in the dock as well.

This saga is damaging the credibility of the entire system of government. And while Johnson is a big part of it, he's not the only part. That also means his removal, while clearly necessary, won't in itself restore trust.
    The polls tell us that big chunk of Tories either don’t care or quite like the Trumpian politics of Boris. It’s here to stay, alas.
  • ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I keep coming back to Scottish independence in relation to this. I don't want it - I'm a federalist. But the longer the Johnson era goes on - with English Tories saying there's nothing wrong with a crook and a liar being PM - the more it cements the notion that independence is coming.

Yes I know the SNP have their own issues (to put it mildly!!!) but that is a government that we can remove from office. We can't remove the Westminster government. Have just seen a clip from the Scottish version of Question Time. Commentator points out that for 29 years of her 43 years Scotland has had a government that we didn't elect.

If those governments are seen as "not what we wanted but honest" that is very different to "not what we wanted, they're openly corrupt and dishonest, run by a liar and people in England think thats OK". As you said, this is an existential threat to the entire system of government and the state itself. And not just in Scotland. Ireland is likely to very soon have Sinn Fein on power on both sides of the border...
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    edited February 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

I see your Davison and raise you Matt Vickers. Not thick as fuck but thinks his constituents are. Has successfully lobbied Sunak to get levelling up money for Yarm, the posh town in the south of the constituency where life expectancy is significantly higher than the poor north.

And now his latest wheeze. Having successfully lobbied the palace to serve (a dreadful excuse for a ) Parmo, he is now embarking on a surgery tour. In the pub. Called "Beer Matt" He is well known to like a shandy and is now going to get us to pay for them as he gets raddled doing "work" with constituents.

https://www.facebook.com/mattvickers.stockton/posts/361279805818664
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

I'm not sure Sandpit has ever acknowledged the concern over a brazenly dishonest PM ?
    Yes, it’s the perfect example of everything that’s wrong with politics and media in the UK, obsessing about trivialities from years ago while ignoring the important stories going on in the country and wider world.

We saw it almost daily during the pandemic press conferences, with the most stupid, scientifically illiterate questions and media obsessions, it’s really not healthy for the country.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I think the real difference is also that there's no shred of doubt that he lied directly to everyone. And, as you say, the system has been co-opted to back him up in those lies.
    A parliamentary system built on the assumption that ministers do not wilfully lie requires at least minimally plausible deniability.

In one sense it is, as Sandpit insists, a relatively trivial matter - if he'd held his hand up and apologised right at the start, it would have been a week or so of bad press, and then forgotten by most.
    Too late now, both for him and probably for the party that has missed its chance to be rid of him.
  • Russian-state outlets are reporting Ukrainian shelling in Luhansk, eastern #Ukraine. Now, this isn't particularly unusual, considering this region has been in conflict for 8 years now. What's unusual is how many Russian outlets are reporting on this.

https://twitter.com/inteldoge/status/1494162651991187458?s=21

Russian-state outlets are reporting Ukrainian shelling in Luhansk, eastern #Ukraine. Now, this isn't particularly unusual, considering this region has been in conflict for 8 years now. What's unusual is how many Russian outlets are reporting on this.

That’s the ‘false flag’ excuse they’re looking for.
  • So we're back to Russia. Where the only real threat we have is to snaffle all that oligarch cash. For some reason our government seems most reluctant to do so - the large donations they receive from said oligarchs has nothing to do with their slow actions of course...
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

I see your Davison and raise you Matt Vickers. Not thick as fuck but thinks his constituents are. Has successfully lobbied Sunak to get levelling up money for Yarm, the posh town in the south of the constituency where life expectancy is significantly higher than the poor north.

And now his latest wheeze. Having successfully lobbied the palace to serve (a dreadful excuse for a ) Parmo, he is now embarking on a surgery tour. In the pub. Called "Beer Matt" He is well known to like a shandy and is now going to get us to pay for them as he gets raddled doing "work" with constituents.

Billingham isn't in his constituency so it's hardly surprising he is abusing the rules to get money for his constituents.

But the damage on spending is done - any money announced from now on won't be spent in time for the improvements to be seen and a lot of people have already caught on to the fact Bozo and co now announce the same money being spent multiple times (and every time they initial claim its brand new money).

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Being fanatically loyal, and unable to do sums? Sounds just the ticket.
    rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Partial to a finely aged sausage too. Her husband was about 93 before she binned him off.
  • eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Billingham isn't in his constituency so it's hardly surprising he is abusing the rules to get money for his constituents.

But the damage on spending is done - any money announced from now on won't be spent in time for the improvements to be seen and a lot of people have already caught on to the fact Bozo and co now announce the same money being spent multiple times (and every time they initial claim its brand new money).
    Billingham isn't. But Thornaby is. And the north end is a hellhole. People turned out to vote Tory in numbers we couldn't believe in 2019 to elect Matt Vickers (I took numbers from the polling stations and later sampled the boxes before anyone questions this.

They voted Tory for the first time to make their parts of town less shit. Only to see Beer Matt secure money and spend it on Yarm. Yes there is definitely some double / triple / quadruple spending of the same towns money going on. But when even the fictional money is being spent on the posh areas that don't need it my former council constituents will know they've been had.

So we're back to Russia. Where the only real threat we have is to snaffle all that oligarch cash. For some reason our government seems most reluctant to do so - the large donations they receive from said oligarchs has nothing to do with their slow actions of course...

You can't, sadly do that unilaterally - and currently the EU don't seem to want to play ball because they still need Gas from Russia.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Stockton, both North and South, has not been lucky with its MP's. All pretty hopeless for a long time now.
    Dura_Ace said:

rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Partial to a finely aged sausage too. Her husband was about 93 before she binned him off.
    Nutnut will veto that appointment.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    Yes, as the polls get closer and as Sunak's own approval rating dips, it looks increasingly likely the Chancellor will end up the Michael Portillo or David Miliband of his day. The Crown Prince who never wore the crown.

To become Tory leader and PM Sunak either needs Johnson to be fined by the Met Police, in which case even loyalists like IDS have said he might have to go, while avoiding a fine himself or he needs the Tories to suffer heavy losses in the May local elections and for Labour to widen its poll lead. Then if more Tory MPs fear losing their seats they could turn to Sunak to save the furniture
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    New - Labour to fight only minimal campaign in top 30 Lib Dem target seats as part of "ruthless" targeting of scarce resources by @Keir_Starmer on Lab targets..Blue Wall danger for Tories as informal Lib-Labbery grows
    https://www.ft.com/content/7d10aef7-1ed5-4e0d-a128-858cd0b2e2f0#comments-anchor
  • Rishi Sunak = Tyrion Lannister without the ruthlessness.
  • eek said:

So we're back to Russia. Where the only real threat we have is to snaffle all that oligarch cash. For some reason our government seems most reluctant to do so - the large donations they receive from said oligarchs has nothing to do with their slow actions of course...

You can't, sadly do that unilaterally - and currently the EU don't seem to want to play ball because they still need Gas from Russia.
    We aren't proposing to do it unilaterally either. We're not really saying anything at all. Instead its WAR despite Johnson's lot cutting our armed forces so much that we're pretty impotent.

The millions in donations is of course entirely coincidental.
  • Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Stockton, both North and South, has not been lucky with its MP's. All pretty hopeless for a long time now.
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Alex Cunningham is a decent guy though utterly ineffective. Dr Paul Williams (now OBE) was genuinely good so to watch his successor on a pub tour is a bit depressing.
  • HYUFD said:

Yes, as the polls get closer and as Sunak's own approval rating dips, it looks increasingly likely the Chancellor will end up the Michael Portillo or David Miliband of his day. The Crown Prince who never wore the crown.

To become Tory leader and PM Sunak either needs Johnson to be fined by the Met Police, in which case even loyalists like IDS have said he might have to go, while avoiding a fine himself or he needs the Tories to suffer heavy losses in the May local elections and for Labour to widen its poll lead. Then if more Tory MPs fear losing their seats they could turn to Sunak to save the furniture

I note that you raise no objections to repeatedly lying to parliament and breaking his own laws.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,455
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

Russian-state outlets are reporting Ukrainian shelling in Luhansk, eastern #Ukraine. Now, this isn't particularly unusual, considering this region has been in conflict for 8 years now. What's unusual is how many Russian outlets are reporting on this.

After they had "peacefully withdrawn" their army units.

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I keep coming back to Scottish independence in relation to this. I don't want it - I'm a federalist. But the longer the Johnson era goes on - with English Tories saying there's nothing wrong with a crook and a liar being PM - the more it cements the notion that independence is coming.

Yes I know the SNP have their own issues (to put it mildly!!!) but that is a government that we can remove from office. We can't remove the Westminster government. Have just seen a clip from the Scottish version of Question Time. Commentator points out that for 29 years of her 43 years Scotland has had a government that we didn't elect.

If those governments are seen as "not what we wanted but honest" that is very different to "not what we wanted, they're openly corrupt and dishonest, run by a liar and people in England think thats OK". As you said, this is an existential threat to the entire system of government and the state itself. And not just in Scotland. Ireland is likely to very soon have Sinn Fein on power on both sides of the border...
    The whole point of devolution is so Scots stopped whinging quite so much about Tory UK governments they don't elect. Hence Scotland has its own Parliament for most of its domestic policy, see the different Covid rules it has had, while England does not have its own Parliament.

Given the Tories will continue to refuse indyref2 as long as they are in power and Sturgeon has ruled out UDI however there is no prospect of independence under the Tories. If Starmer becomes PM reliant on SNP confidence and supply though indyref2 does become more likely and certainly devomax.

Sinn Féin may well be the largest party in Ireland and Northern Ireland but that does not mean they will govern. On both sides of the border they use PR. In Ireland therefore FG and FF combined will still likely be more than SF and in NI the Unionist parties combined of the DUP, UUP and TUV still will have more seats than SF and the SDLP on current Stormont polls. In any case the DUP have also effectively ruled out restoring the Stormont Executive anyway until the UK government invokes Article 16
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

eek said:

We aren't proposing to do it unilaterally either. We're not really saying anything at all. Instead its WAR despite Johnson's lot cutting our armed forces so much that we're pretty impotent.

The millions in donations is of course entirely coincidental.
    Don't be silly. Of course it's entirely the fault of the EU that Russian oligarchs are laundering money through London and donating to the Conservative Party.

Don't forget who the real enemy is!

I think Johnson will survive until the locals at least - and I've been laying Sunak for some time.

The battle between them is going to be brutal. Sunak's team have already spun "the Prime Minister's tax rises" in relation to NI. That Number 10 imposed its will over the Treasury isn't a fanciful notion as it has happened before so maybe it is true...
    Use the NHS as an excuse to put up NI so that you have the cash to cut income tax before the GE seems like such an obvious ploy that I don't think No. 10 will have had to impose it on Sunak - though it does show how ambitious Sunak is that he's doing all he can to pin the blame for the NI tax increase on Johnson.

I know people have said that it will be bad for Sunak to be Chancellor when NI goes up, but I wonder whether one calculation for him was that he had to be "forced" to put up NI before becoming PM, so that as PM he could take the credit for cutting income tax before the GE. If he became PM too soon he wouldn't be able to blame Johnson for the NI increase.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, it’s the perfect example of everything that’s wrong with politics and media in the UK, obsessing about trivialities from years ago while ignoring the important stories going on in the country and wider world.

We saw it almost daily during the pandemic press conferences, with the most stupid, scientifically illiterate questions and media obsessions, it’s really not healthy for the country.
    I agree with pretty much all of that @Sandpit but the fact that the PM lied to Parliament is not trivial.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Alex Cunningham is a decent guy though utterly ineffective. Dr Paul Williams (now OBE) was genuinely good so to watch his successor on a pub tour is a bit depressing.
    An OBE for services to parliament and being a GP. A parliament he was a member of for around 2 years. His gong only proves the honours system is in need of reform and there are just as many on the blue team who are as undeserving a recipient as he is.

Genuinely good, I disagree, but YMMV. I would agree he was an improvement on the previous MP, but that was a low bar. Don't know a great deal about Vickers. Doesn't seem to have much prominence locally.
  • #BREAKING | Ukraine using heavy weaponry in Donbass, violates 2020 ceasefire measures, LPR says

#SputnikBreaking

sputniknews.com/20220217/ukrai…

https://twitter.com/sputnikint/status/1494215992599363588?s=21
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

I agree with pretty much all of that @Sandpit but the fact that the PM lied to Parliament is not trivial.
    Agreed. What exactly was he supposed to have said that was a direct lie?
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

The whole point of devolution is so Scots stopped whinging quite so much about Tory UK governments they don't elect. Hence Scotland has its own Parliament for most of its domestic policy, see the different Covid rules it has had, while England does not have its own Parliament.

Given the Tories will continue to refuse indyref2 as long as they are in power and Sturgeon has ruled out UDI however there is no prospect of independence under the Tories. If Starmer becomes PM reliant on SNP confidence and supply though indyref2 does become more likely and certainly devomax.

Sinn Féin may well be the largest party in Ireland and Northern Ireland but that does not mean they will govern. On both sides of the border they use PR. In Ireland therefore FG and FF combined will still likely be more than SF and in NI the Unionist parties combined of the DUP, UUP and TUV still will have more seats than SF and the SDLP on current Stormont polls. In any case the DUP have also effectively ruled out restoring the Stormont Executive anyway until the UK government invokes Article 16
    You need to look at Ireland if you think FG and FF will be in a position to govern again after the next election.

Oh and Stormont is now completely dead because SF will be First Minister next time around so the DUP will do anything and everything to avoid that fact becoming reality.
  • HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

You don't need to keep restating "no referendum under the Tories" because 1) who cares and 2) the Tories won't rule forever.

You also ignore - for once the wider point that the people of Scotland are fed up of having stuff imposed on them. Especially when what is imposed is lawlessness lies and corruption all of which you endlessly post your support for.

In Ireland I am talking after the elections when it seems likely that SF will win power in north and south. You are saying that they won't - perhaps. But perhaps not. And if they do? If the people on the Ireland of Ireland vote in a republican party pledged to holding a border poll? What you think won't matter one little bit - as it doesn't up here.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,093

Have just seen a clip from the Scottish version of Question Time. Commentator points out that for 29 years of her 43 years Scotland has had a government that we didn't elect.

What's the equivalent figure for London (or Manchester, Liverpool, etc)? Lots of the country lives in areas that would never vote Tory but gets stuck with them in power nationally...
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Oh come on. Really? He's even lied about lying! He's been slapped down by his own statistics chief for lying about non-party issues.

Question is- why? He clearly wants the job and is about the only plausible successor right now. Depending on the reason, the next bit might play out differently. Possible (not exclusive) theories:

1 Little Rishi is afraid of Big Dog.

2 Rishi expects defeat in 2024; if he takes over now, he fears a short Premiership.

3 He's waiting for someone else to take the flack for knifing BoJo, then he takes over by acclamation. Basically, he wants to expend as small an effort as possible.

4 Something else.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

The PM thinks it is. That was 'then'. 'Now' is different.

Somewhat off topic did anyone else listen to Jacob Rees-Moggs' interview at Felixstowe yesterday? He seemed to be implying, quite strongly, that the EU regulations that exporters were complaining about had been specifically enacted to 'punish' the UK, as opposed to being the same regulations that all non-EU importers faced.
    Which might suggest an election topic.
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

He told the Commons that to the best of his knowledge there had been no parties and that he would be angry if there had been.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    eek said:

Imposing sanctions *before* the Russians go on...... holiday, would be an interesting way round to do it.

Unless you want to start something.
  • pm215 said:

Have just seen a clip from the Scottish version of Question Time. Commentator points out that for 29 years of her 43 years Scotland has had a government that we didn't elect.

What's the equivalent figure for London (or Manchester, Liverpool, etc)? Lots of the country lives in areas that would never vote Tory but gets stuck with them in power nationally...
    There is a difference between a city or region in England where they are outvoted by their compatriots and Scotland where the nation gets outvoted by another nation.

What makes things really interesting is that the Scottish Tories know there is a problem. Almost unanimously (with the exception of that toadying lickspittle Duguid) they have denounced the lying crook. Will it save their councillors? I hope not. But its the best shot they had, and has to be seen as the nuclear option that it is.
    edited February 2022

Rishi Sunak = Tyrion Lannister without the ruthlessness.

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.
  • New - Labour to fight only minimal campaign in top 30 Lib Dem target seats as part of "ruthless" targeting of scarce resources by @Keir_Starmer on Lab targets..Blue Wall danger for Tories as informal Lib-Labbery grows

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1494218484854796288
    edited February 2022
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

He told the Commons that to the best of his knowledge there had been no parties and that he would be angry if there had been.
    That’s what I thought. In his mind, the events that occurred were not “parties”. It could be argued that, most of us looking from the outside probably wouldn’t describe a glass of wine after work or a birthday cake as “parties” either.

Asking someone if he went to any parties, him saying no, then saying that you had a birthday cake for 10 minutes two years ago, you’re a lying liar who needs to resign, is in my mind taking the piss.

Question is- why? He clearly wants the job and is about the only plausible successor right now. Depending on the reason, the next bit might play out differently. Possible (not exclusive) theories:

1 Little Rishi is afraid of Big Dog.

2 Rishi expects defeat in 2024; if he takes over now, he fears a short Premiership.

3 He's waiting for someone else to take the flack for knifing BoJo, then he takes over by acclamation. Basically, he wants to expend as small an effort as possible.

4 Something else.
    I've said it on here, my belief is that he might get caught in the whirlwind of the parties.

Now he was there for the birthday party for the PM where our poor and unsuspecting PM was ambushed by a cake, but given the various vantage points from the Downing Street complex, Sunak is likely to have seen evidence of parties.

So point 2 applies as well as point 4, if Sunak ousts the PM over parties and Sunak himself is damaged by the parties then his Premiership might be shorter than the Anglo-Zanzibar war.
    Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.
    Who is Tyrion Lannister? While I agree Sunak's short on charisma I have at least heard of him!
  • pm215 said:

And vice versa, when Labour win.

It’s all part of the SNP’s othering and grievance mongering.

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Oh come on. Really? He's even lied about lying! He's been slapped down by his own statistics chief for lying about non-party issues.
    The 'just asking' schtick is really old.
    philiph said:

Yokes said:

The UK actually changed its position. The Russian re-deloyments seem to be more like Cameron's new deal with the EU :wink:
  • Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.
    Who is Tyrion Lannister? While I agree Sunak's short on charisma I have at least heard of him!
    Character from the Game of Thrones books/tv show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrion_Lannister
    On topic

This is pricing the current set of er...... problems..... for BJ.

How many people think that no more will emerge?

New - Labour to fight only minimal campaign in top 30 Lib Dem target seats as part of "ruthless" targeting of scarce resources by @Keir_Starmer on Lab targets..Blue Wall danger for Tories as informal Lib-Labbery grows

Suggests Labour will not make more than a token campaign in any of the top 30 LD target seats apart from Sheffield Hallam and Cambridge, where Labour hold the seats not the Tories.

Also states Labour Shadow Cabinet Ministers have been getting to know Davey's team in case there is a hung parliament and they need a confidence and supply deal. Suggesting if there is a hung parliament the LDs would definitely back Labour this time unlike 2010 when they backed the Tories
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

What matters is not whether FF + FG > SF, but whether SF enter government and Mary-Lou McDonald becomes Taoiseach.

At the election in 2020 FF & FG combined won 73 seats, which was not enough to form a government alone, and they would have won fewer seats had SF stood more candidates. The current three-party coalition had 85 seats after the election, and so does not need to lose many seats at the next election to fall below the 80-seat threshold for a majority.

The most likely outcome after the next election is that SF gain seats at the expense of the governing coalition. This is likely to mean that a government without SF is not possible, and the question will be whether SF can form a government by doing a deal with smaller parties, such as Labour, or if they would need to form a coalition with FF.

Of course, there might be all sorts of changes in political opinion before the next election, but FF & FG having more seats than SF after the next election wouldn't be enough to keep SF out of government.

Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.

Obliged. Are the Game of Thrones books more or less readable that Sir Terry Pratchetts (pbuh) books?

On topic

Before lunch or were you contemplating a more extended period of stability?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

How much effort did Labour put into Guildford et al in 2019?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    HYUFD said:

Suggests Labour will not make more than a token campaign in any of the top 30 LD target seats apart from Sheffield Hallam and Cambridge, where Labour hold the seats not the Tories.

Also states Labour Shadow Cabinet Ministers have been getting to know Davey's team in case there is a hung parliament and they need a confidence and supply deal. Suggesting if there is a hung parliament the LDs would definitely back Labour this time unlike 2010 when they backed the Tories
    Did you really think that the last 5 words of that post were necessary for this audience?
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

After the way the Tories shafted their LD partners in 2014-5 I think there's more chance of them making a pact with Farage than the Tories.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362

On topic

That's the problem for Tory MPs

They seem to be assuming if BoZo survives this he isn't going to pratfall again.

And Dom is unlikely to have given up...
  • rkrkrk said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

*threesomes*

Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.

Obliged. Are the Game of Thrones books more or less readable that Sir Terry Pratchetts (pbuh) books?
    The first two are very readable. After that the story spreads out into so many sub-plots that you have to be fully committed to keep going. You also have to be willing to accept that the series of books may never be finished.

Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.

Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.

Much, much less. He seriously needed an editor to keep him in hand. But they are still a good story with some excellent, if gory, scenes.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

After they had "peacefully withdrawn" their army units.
    "I've put away that gun I was threatening you with. Dont I deserve praise and a cookie for that? No? How dare you!"
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

You don't need to keep restating "no referendum under the Tories" because 1) who cares and 2) the Tories won't rule forever.

You also ignore - for once the wider point that the people of Scotland are fed up of having stuff imposed on them. Especially when what is imposed is lawlessness lies and corruption all of which you endlessly post your support for.

In Ireland I am talking after the elections when it seems likely that SF will win power in north and south. You are saying that they won't - perhaps. But perhaps not. And if they do? If the people on the Ireland of Ireland vote in a republican party pledged to holding a border poll? What you think won't matter one little bit - as it doesn't up here.
    The people of Scotland have their own Parliament unlike the people of England for most of their domestic policy. If we end up with a Labour minority government at the next general election reliant on SNP confidence and supply, which is very possible, it will be the people of England being ignored without even an English parliament as the Scots have.

Even if every person in the Republic of Ireland voted SF it would make no difference to Northern Ireland's future as that is up to Northern Ireland to decide not the Republic.

There will be no border poll in Northern Ireland meanwhile as long as Unionist Parties continue to win more seats than Nationalist Parties at Stormont and vote down a border poll and as long as the Alliance continues to oppose a border poll. Even if SF wins most seats therefore that would be irrelevant to chances of a border poll which the NI Secretary would still refuse to grant as long as most Stormont MLAs also opposed it
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Did you really think that the last 5 words of that post were necessary for this audience?
    Personally I was shocked.
    edited February 2022
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

You need to look at Ireland if you think FG and FF will be in a position to govern again after the next election.

Oh and Stormont is now completely dead because SF will be First Minister next time around so the DUP will do anything and everything to avoid that fact becoming reality.
    With Independents on current polls they will be.

If there is no Stormont Executive as there won't be as long as the DUP stay out, then there will be no NI First Minister anyway
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Nigelb said:

Or charisma.

Or appreciation of wine.
    Popular character from Game of Thrones. A clever wit who likes a drink. Dwarf.
  • HYUFD said:

Nobody will back your party of lies, corruption and criminality. Not even the DUP.

Of course, there might be all sorts of changes in political opinion before the next election, but FF & FG having more seats than SF after the next election wouldn't be enough to keep SF out of government.

SF + Greens + Social Democrats + Trots would probably enough.
This discussion has been closed.