Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A fine time ahead for Boris Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited February 2022 in General
imageA fine time ahead for Boris Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

Whilst few expected Boris Johnson to be the beau idéal of a Prime Minister it still feels like a shock having to write a piece about this betting market from Smarkets on Boris Johnson getting fined which says a lot about the state of his premiership.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689
    edited February 2022
    First. Never thought I would live to see such things......
  • Options

Labour lead down to 7% with deltapoll:

Lab 41 (-1)
    Con 34 (+2)
    LD 10 (-)

I predicted it'd be 6-7 this morning (I am Mystic Nick). As i said, I think that's the underlying position, with a bounce upwards when there's a new scandal, settling back when nothing much new has emerged for a few days. (No Opinium tomght?)

HYUFD isn't wrong that that is a recoverable lead two years out from the election. The MPs who've declared no conifdence will be in an awkward position if the challenge fizzles, though.
    The rebel MP in the most awkward position is Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party.

Fortunately for him, even if the Met Police fail to fell Johnson, the dire state of the economy ought to do the trick.

The problem for the Scottish Tories is that Johnson’s successor might be just as electorally toxic north of the border. For example, “sound money” might turn out to mean Thatcherism II, and that went down like a bucket of sick first time round.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited February 2022
    Boris Johnson’s dwindling inner circle greeted his double appointment last night of Steve Barclay as the new chief of staff and Guto Harri as director of communications at No 10 as proof that the prime minister was a man of his word – and one who acted fast.

Conor Burns, one of Johnson’s cheerleaders, tweeted: “He is delivering. @SteveBarclay is a talented and serious Minister and @Guto_Harri is a professional operator. Both great appointments.”

But elsewhere the appointments – made necessary by the resignation of five Johnson aides last week – caused almost universal bafflement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/05/boris-johnsons-new-aides-are-greeted-with-bafflement
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,302
    Will the police really fine the Prime Minister?

I have next to no faith that they will. They're almost as corrupt as No.10

So if that's what the rump of tory MPs are waiting for then I think it may be down to the British people to do to Johnson what his party seem incapable of.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029
    Good morning one and all. Although 'all' isn't many of us yet!

I see the 70th anniversary of the the Queen's accession, and consequent run up to the 69th anniversary of the coronation is beginning to stir leader and feature writers.
    Probably to the advantage of the PM. Something else to talk about.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    Has Rishi ever told the House of Commons he never attended a party in Downing Street during the lockdown period? Because that is why Boris will have to resign.
  • Options

Has Rishi ever told the House of Commons he never attended a party in Downing Street during the lockdown period? Because that is why Boris will have to resign.

Don't think Rishi's every spoken in the House about it. He's mentioned it in interviews, IIRC, saying something anodyne.

Incidentally, we sometimes see pictures of him with a glass of beer in his hand, when we know he's teetotal; I realise it's 'publicity', but surely that's dishonest.
    Personally, while I do, I have no problem with people who choose not to drink alcoholic drinks. It's a respectable lifestyle choice which is different to mine, that's all.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

I see the 70th anniversary of the the Queen's accession, and consequent run up to the 69th anniversary of the coronation is beginning to stir leader and feature writers.

Perhaps more instructive though that her mind seems to be dwelling more on death and the succession.

There is clearly something we are not being told.

Also rather instructive the way she seems to have taken to Camilla. Which I gather is typical of people who know her personally. One regiment she was honorary Colonel of thought the world of her because any time a soldier was injured she took the trouble to hand write them a note wishing them a speedy recovery, along with a bottle of good whisky.

Whether the Queen’s recent very public endorsements will be enough to overcome the lingering public hostility of Diana’s many admirers is a different question. The last thread suggests the answer is ‘no.’
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320

Very windy out this morning.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Perhaps more instructive though that her mind seems to be dwelling more on death and the succession.

Also rather instructive the way she seems to have taken to Camilla. Which I gather is typical of people who know her personally. One regiment she was honorary Colonel of thought the world of her because any time a soldier was injured she took the trouble to hand write them a note wishing them a speedy recovery, along with a bottle of good whisky.

Whether the Queen’s recent very public endorsements will be enough to overcome the lingering public hostility of Diana’s many admirers is a different question. The last thread suggests the answer is ‘no.’
    I suggest the loss of her husband has reminded the Queen of her own mortality.
    She also now has the situation where her son's first marriage ended over twenty years ago and furthermore his former wife has been dead for almost 25 years.
    While we by no means got to a similar situation by the same route, (our daughter died, of MND, and the marriage was, so far as we could tell, very happy) we have come to accept our son-in-law's new partner.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    The Camilla story is really about Charles asserting himself.

QE is now queen in name only. Charles has the reins of power.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Fishy Rishi. In a little dishy.
  • Options
    ping said:

I think it most unlikely that the Queen, unless suffering from advanced dementia (which she clearly isn’t) would allow messages to go out in her name that she didn’t agree with.

That said, in one sense it’s a shame Charles isn’t King. Can you imagine how his next speech from the throne would begin?

‘My lords, honourable members, this session my government, whom I regret to say are a bunch of crooks, liars, drunks and thieving parasites, will continue to completely fail to address all the problems we face. Their programme is instead as follows…’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ping said:

I think it most unlikely that the Queen, unless suffering from advanced dementia (which she clearly isn’t) would allow messages to go out in her name that she didn’t agree with.

That said, in one sense it’s a shame Charles isn’t King. Can you imagine how his next speech from the throne would begin?

‘My lords, honourable members, this session my government, whom I regret to say are a bunch of crooks, liars, drunks and thieving parasites, will continue to completely fail to address all the problems we face. Their programme is instead as follows…’
    I doubt he'll ever say anything like that; in public anyway. Or even to someone who might pass it on.
    Would you care for a small wager on the point?

Although of course he did make the remark about Nicholas Witchell.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ping said:

I doubt he'll ever say anything like that; in public anyway. Or even to someone who might pass it on.

That’s what would be the difference between Her Majesty and HRH. She would never criticise people directly. He does. And just imagine the explosion if Johnson treated him the way he’s been treating the monarch recently.

Whether he’s wise to do so is a horse of a different colour. But equally wisdom and restraint have never exactly been Charles’ hallmarks.
  • Options
    [Johnson’s] reputation has collapsed so badly that even his biggest two successes — delivering Brexit and tackling the pandemic — are dismissed as failures.

The devastating verdict on the PM’s reputation is laid bare in an exclusive Deltapoll survey for The Sun on Sunday.

Mr Johnson is given a negative rating on the cost of living crisis, with eight in ten saying he is making a hash of it.

Two thirds of voters are opposed to his decision to increase National Insurance contributions — and more than eight in ten want him to cut VAT.

The PM is also marked down on immigration, crime, climate change, Russian aggression in Ukraine, preserving the UK — and even Brexit and the pandemic.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17558613/boris-johnson-partygate-poll-scandal/amp/
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/05/give-me-back-my-200000-major-donor-tells-tories

This all looks rather murky. Although I learned a nice new phrase from it - "access capitalism". So much easier on the ear than "corruption" don't you think?

Quite funny that even on the basis of access for money corruption, the Tories still managed to welsh on the deal (no offence, Wales).
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/05/give-me-back-my-200000-major-donor-tells-tories

This all looks rather murky. Although I learned a nice new phrase from it - "access capitalism". So much easier on the ear than "corruption" don't you think?

Quite funny that even on the basis of access for money corruption, the Tories still managed to welsh on the deal (no offence, Wales).
    What, you think those last three words mean we'll let you off Scot free?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited February 2022
    US official, based on govt assessment, says: At current rate of build up, Russia should be at full operational capability around February 15. They have now moved ground troops near Ukraine from nearly every part of their military……

US official, based on govt estimate, if full invasion:
    - significant civilian casualties expected: 25,000 to 50,000 civilians killed or wounded in the first few weeks
    - 1 to 5 million refugees and internally displaced persons

https://twitter.com/richardengel/status/1490221015393316870?s=21

The Winter Olympics end on the 20th
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

That’s what would be the difference between Her Majesty and HRH. She would never criticise people directly. He does. And just imagine the explosion if Johnson treated him the way he’s been treating the monarch recently.

Whether he’s wise to do so is a horse of a different colour. But equally wisdom and restraint have never exactly been Charles’ hallmarks.
    Charles as monarch might be a different creature to Charles as Prince of Wales. The roles are different, as he well knows.

It also seems an example where he cannot win: if he had spent the last five decades in silence, he would be accused of being empty and mindless. When he speaks out, he is opinionated.

In addition, he's been proven correct on many of the topics he has spoken out on, hasn't he? e.g. the environment (both green issues and the built environment).
  • Options

[Johnson’s] reputation has collapsed so badly that even his biggest two successes — delivering Brexit and tackling the pandemic — are dismissed as failures.

The devastating verdict on the PM’s reputation is laid bare in an exclusive Deltapoll survey for The Sun on Sunday.

Mr Johnson is given a negative rating on the cost of living crisis, with eight in ten saying he is making a hash of it.

Two thirds of voters are opposed to his decision to increase National Insurance contributions — and more than eight in ten want him to cut VAT.

The PM is also marked down on immigration, crime, climate change, Russian aggression in Ukraine, preserving the UK — and even Brexit and the pandemic.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17558613/boris-johnson-partygate-poll-scandal/amp/

Rishi Sunak is the top choice to repair the damage of Partygate and win the next election for the Tories.

The Chancellor is the favourite among one in three of all voters and nearly half of Tory voters — with all his rivals in single figures

That said “Don’t know” on 42% is well ahead of Rishi on 29%.
  • Options

Don't think Rishi's every spoken in the House about it. He's mentioned it in interviews, IIRC, saying something anodyne.

Incidentally, we sometimes see pictures of him with a glass of beer in his hand, when we know he's teetotal; I realise it's 'publicity', but surely that's dishonest.
    Personally, while I do, I have no problem with people who choose not to drink alcoholic drinks. It's a respectable lifestyle choice which is different to mine, that's all.
    I understand alcohol-free beer is a thing.

Admittedly, never met anyone who drinks it.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Charles as monarch might be a different creature to Charles as Prince of Wales. The roles are different, as he well knows.

It also seems an example where he cannot win: if he had spent the last five decades in silence, he would be accused of being empty and mindless. When he speaks out, he is opinionated.

In addition, he's been proven correct on many of the topics he has spoken out on, hasn't he? e.g. the environment (both green issues and the built environment).
    No, he can't win. That's one reason why his role is such a horrible one.

I'm intrigued though. Nowhere have I suggested he would be wrong, on a factual level. In what way would the speech as I have drafted it be incorrect?
  • Options
    ping said:

I doubt it. The Queen doesn't make announcements lightly on the anniversary of her father's death.

In any case, Camilla would always have been Queen. It is a courtesy title and what you call the wife of a King, it has no statutory basis (unlike Prince). Just as she is Princess of Wales but prefers not to be known as that.
  • Options
    The first set of 'revelations' from the Ashcroft Carrie book appear to be, allegedly:

- she was having an affair with another unnamed married Tory MP (unnamed, although the article isn't without potential clues) before she settled on Johnson;

- early in their relationship he tried to appoint her as his chief of staff, opposed by staff and ministers;

- for Johnson, Carrie was always just a fling and only turned serious when his wife finally walked away; you get the impression that Johnson only managed to function as a normal person because his wife used to organise his life;

- she vetoed his first choice of politician to run his leadership campaign;

- A friend describes their relationship as 'emotionally disruptive', another that it is 'toxic'

plus a load of Cummo-type material about how she interferes in everything, and some tittle-tattle about her life prior.

Not clear how this plays into the leadership - those against him will take it as another set of danger signals whereas supporters may try and deflect more blame onto her - when the focus ought to be on how it is his character flaws that underlie all of these problems.

• Options

An acquaintance of mine, a chap who practically lived in the pub, to the extent that he had a reserved seat, once spent a month on alcohol free lager to raise money for a cancer charity, after the death, from cancer of his daughter.
    All the regulars, and even the not so regulars, like me, said he'd never do it, but he did. Raised £10k IIRC.

And Abbott do something called Ghost Ship which is 0.5% and I find quite acceptable.
  • Options

I have done occasionally, when wanting to meet with friends and the only option was to drive. A couple of them now taste reasonably. I just don't really like soft drinks.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IanB2 said:

The first set of 'revelations' from the Ashcroft Carrie book appear to be, allegedly:

- she was having an affair with another unnamed married Tory MP (unnamed, although the article isn't without potential clues) before she settled on Johnson;

- early in their relationship he tried to appoint her as his chief of staff, opposed by staff and ministers;

- for Johnson, Carrie was always just a fling and only turned serious when his wife finally walked away; you get the impression that Johnson only managed to function as a normal person because his wife used to organise his life;

- she vetoed his first choice of politician to run his leadership campaign;

- A friend describes their relationship as 'emotionally disruptive', another that it is 'toxic'

plus a load of Cummo-type material about how she interferes in everything, and some tittle-tattle about her life prior.

Not clear how this plays into the leadership - those against him will take it as another set of danger signals whereas supporters may try and deflect more blame onto her - when the focus ought to be on how it is his character flaws that underlie all of these problems.

I don’t doubt that it’s true but the timing is a form of psycho-ops. Undermine from within and try and nudge them towards a resignation rather than a messy beheading.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What, you think those last three words mean we'll let you off Scot free?
    This is all Irish to me.
  • Options
    OT Neighbours faces axe after being dropped by Channel 5. This is the real news.

The Australian soap Neighbours, which launched the international careers of countless local stars including Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan, Margot Robbie and Guy Pearce, has been axed in the UK in a move likely to sound the death knell for the iconic show.

The UK’s Channel 5 announced it would no longer air the program and unless it is picked up by another broadcaster the show will end its record-breaking 36-year run in August.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/feb/06/neighbours-needs-good-friends-to-survive-after-uk-network-axes-iconic-soap
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018
    IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
    Oh no we don't......
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    deleted.
  • Options

Boris Johnson’s dwindling inner circle greeted his double appointment last night of Steve Barclay as the new chief of staff and Guto Harri as director of communications at No 10 as proof that the prime minister was a man of his word – and one who acted fast.

Conor Burns, one of Johnson’s cheerleaders, tweeted: “He is delivering. @SteveBarclay is a talented and serious Minister and @Guto_Harri is a professional operator. Both great appointments.”

But elsewhere the appointments – made necessary by the resignation of five Johnson aides last week – caused almost universal bafflement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/05/boris-johnsons-new-aides-are-greeted-with-bafflement

Yet another Tory appointment of a Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation hack. It is almost as if they know their claims of lefty bias are mere propaganda.
  • Options

Yet another Tory appointment of a Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation hack. It is almost as if they know their claims of lefty bias are mere propaganda.
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but we all know, to quote Roy Bland, that a good Socialist will go where the money is.
  • Options

An acquaintance of mine, a chap who practically lived in the pub, to the extent that he had a reserved seat, once spent a month on alcohol free lager to raise money for a cancer charity, after the death, from cancer of his daughter.
    All the regulars, and even the not so regulars, like me, said he'd never do it, but he did. Raised £10k IIRC.

And Abbott do something called Ghost Ship which is 0.5% and I find quite acceptable.
    Ghost Ship 0.5% is one of the few I will drink, along with Brewdog Nanny State. You have to be careful though as there is also an alcoholic Ghost Ship, and rather nice it is too. An example of one not to drink is Erdinger Alkoholfrei which I can't drink even after running a marathon.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Deleted
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    ydoethur said:

Don’t read my post in the last thread about Camilla /Diana as anything beyond a quick joke.

First time round Charles wasn’t allowed to marry Camilla so he settled on someone else.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Don’t read my post in the last thread about Camilla /Diana as anything beyond a quick joke.

First time round Charles wasn’t allowed to marry Camilla so he settled on someone else.
    I was thinking more of Aslan's series of posts.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,989
    Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
    Exacly.
  • Options

The 'Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation'; surely the BBC's current crawling to the Government provides the final nail in the coffin of that old canard!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
    Exacly.
    LOL. Good arrows.
  • Options
    I seem to be having some problems with duplication of comments. Hence another 'deleted'.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
    Exacly.
    It’s a reverse Mrs Merton question, What did you see in the penniless Boris, rather than the multimillionaire ***?

Unless the other guy moved on….
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

That would be because Camilla was already married.
  • Options

I seem to be having some problems with duplication of comments. Hence another 'deleted'.

You're not the only one. I think it happens when you click 'post' at the same moment it tries to auto save, setting up a duplicate. However, it seems to be happening a lot at the moment. Might vanilla have changed their auto save settings in some way?
  • Options

As Mike Smithson has demonstrated, favourability ratings are an excellent guide.

Johnson doesn't recover from this. But the tory party may be stupid enough to leave him in place and do a collective reenactment of the Gadarene swine.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 949

The other way to read it is that Johnson isn't much of a Tory, whilst Carrie is soft left, exactly like most of the BBC.
  • Options

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Not according to this timeline https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/a9961113/prince-charles-camilla-parker-bowles-relationship/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    Day 7...

Kwasi Kwarteng disagrees with Sunak and Javid to back PM over Savile accusation.

"Entirely legitimate... perfectly reasonable... absolutely in scope..." he tells Trevor Phillips

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1490245934856482819
  • Options
    theProle said:

The other way to read it is that Johnson isn't much of a Tory, whilst Carrie is soft left, exactly like most of the BBC.
    Guto Harri was the one that got bulleted from Gammon Bastard News for kneeling.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Kwasi Kwarteng disagrees with Sunak and Javid to back PM over Savile accusation.

"Entirely legitimate... perfectly reasonable... absolutely in scope..." he tells Trevor Phillips

Truss is the leading loyalist.

Perhaps Kwarteng might be positioning himself as the sane and competent loyalist?

Although I would have said Boris Johnson backers are not big on either quality.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/youll-need-a-tank-division-to-drag-me-out-of-downing-st-johnson-tells-allies-g65c6j65b

In the end they all turn into despots, with no other priority than the grubby retention of power for its sake, with no care or consideration for the consequences. Happened remarkably quickly with him.

And I have to say, it does make me rethink prior opposition to PR, if this is what strong majorities do.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

ydoethur said:

ping said:

Much of Sue Gray’s reputation for refusing FOI requests comes from her attempts to stop the Guardian (inter alia) FOIing Charles’s correspondence with the Government. He was not shy in telling them what he thought ought to be done.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,264

I drink low and alcohol free beer. It’s fine. A nice option to have on a night out if you’re driving or just don’t want booze.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/youll-need-a-tank-division-to-drag-me-out-of-downing-st-johnson-tells-allies-g65c6j65b

In the end they all turn into despots, with no other priority than the grubby retention of power for its sake, with no care or consideration for the consequences. Happened remarkably quickly with him.

And I have to say, it does make me rethink prior opposition to PR, if this is what strong majorities do.

So he's only leaving if Hyufd turns on him and recalls the 1st Epping Volunteers from Scotland, Spain or wherever the hell he's sent them at the time?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Not according to this timeline https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/a9961113/prince-charles-camilla-parker-bowles-relationship/
    Camilla was married to Andrew Parker-Bowles when Prince Charles married Lady Diana, as shown on that timeline.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Student politics, Johnson style:

Michael Gove, a Scottish fresher in 1985, told Johnson’s biographer Andrew Gimson: “The first time I saw him was in the Union bar . . . He seemed like a kindly, Oxford character, but he was really there like a great basking shark waiting for freshers to swim towards him.” Gove told Gimson: “I was Boris’s stooge. I became a votary of the Boris cult.”

In an essay for The Oxford Myth (1988), a book edited by his sister Rachel, Johnson advised aspiring student politicians to assemble “a disciplined and deluded collection of stooges” to get out the vote. “Lonely girls from the women’s colleges” who “back their largely male candidates with a porky decisiveness” were particularly useful, he wrote. “For these young women, machine politics offers human friction and warmth.” Reading this, you realise why almost all Union presidents who become Tory politicians are men. (Thatcher’s domain was OUCA, where she was president in 1946.)

Johnson added: “The tragedy of the stooge is that . . . he wants so much to believe that his relationship with the candidate is special that he shuts out the truth. The terrible art of the candidate is to coddle the self-deception of the stooge.”

https://www.ft.com/content/85fc694c-9222-11e9-b7ea-60e35ef678d2
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

IanB2 said:

We all know who it is...
    Oh no we don't......
    Indeed. I suspect most of us don’t know who it is and probably don’t care a great deal either.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I drink low and alcohol free beer. It’s fine. A nice option to have on a night out if you’re driving or just don’t want booze.
    Another generational thing. Tasted like piss when I grew up and the only option was Kaliber. Nowadays lots of choice and some are very good. A lot of elite endurance athletes actually drink it as good for muscle recovery.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Taz said:

Low alcohol and alcohol free beer has come a long way from the 1990’s when I worked in pubs and only had Kaliber as an option. As others have said there are a few decent ones now, nicely filling the gap between booze and soft drinks. You do have to find what you like. Some taste like watered down beer. Some are plain weird. Ghost ship and nanny state are decent.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,667

Adnams.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Camilla was married to Andrew Parker-Bowles when Prince Charles married Lady Diana, as shown on that timeline.
    1970 and Charles wasn’t allowed to marry Camilla
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,472
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Perhaps Kwarteng might be positioning himself as the sane and competent loyalist?

Kwasi Kwarteng for Prime Minister. It is about time we tried an Old Etonian in that post. 66/1 with Betfred but not quoted on Betfair.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Kwasi Kwarteng for Prime Minister. It is about time we tried an Old Etonian in that post. 66/1 with Betfred but not generally quoted; not even on Betfair.
    In the case of Boris Johnson, it's about time we tried an Old Etonian in the High Court.
  • Options
    On topic: I don't think Boris will resign if fined. I also don't think he will go if he wins a VONC by just 1 vote.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Kwasi Kwarteng for Prime Minister. It is about time we tried an Old Etonian in that post. 66/1 with Betfred but not quoted on Betfair.
    Alternatively we could try pounding Eton to rubble with high explosive ordnance?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    “the willingness of johnson’s keenest supporters to debase themselves in order to protect him borders on kink.”
    https://twitter.com/euanmccolm/status/1490251407051694084
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Absolutely. In a coalition, one party acts as a check upon the other.
  • Options
    Sarah Vine complaining on TV about being misrepresented in the press and how it put her in a dark place. Pot and Kettle.
  • Options

Taz said:

Another generational thing. Tasted like piss when I grew up and the only option was Kaliber. Nowadays lots of choice and some are very good. A lot of elite endurance athletes actually drink it as good for muscle recovery.
    I’m probably the same generation as you. Kaliber was around when I was early twenties and it was vile. There were a couple,of others too and a wine, Eisberg. Terrible. Nowadays The brew dog offerings are good and many craft breweries do low alcohol options and there are some terrific ones out there. I’ve got a bottle of ghost ship to go,with Sunday lunch and my wife has a big drop stout with hers.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Adnams.
    Quite right. Apologies
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Kwasi Kwarteng for Prime Minister. It is about time we tried an Old Etonian in that post. 66/1 with Betfred but not generally quoted; not even on Betfair.
    In the case of Boris Johnson, it's about time we tried an Old Etonian in the High Court.
    The High Court is quite tied up at the moment, off shore his trial to Salem?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited February 2022
    If Boris and Sunak are both fined for attending Boris' birthday party, forcing Boris out and ending Sunak's leadership campaign then get on Deputy PM Raab as next Tory leader and PM.

The new Deltapoll in the Sun this morning has Raab now up to second favourite amongst the public for next Tory leader after Sunak, ahead of Truss, Patel, Hunt and Gove

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17558613/boris-johnson-partygate-poll-scandal/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    I thought there was a six month cut off for this stuff?

Fair or otherwise it would leave him in the clear. And we could have the Gray report in full....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Boris and Sunak are both fined for attending Boris' birthday party, forcing Boris out and ending Sunak's leadership campaign then get on Raab as next Tory leader and PM.

The new Deltapoll in the Sun this morning has Raab now up to second favourite amongst the public for next Tory leader after Sunak, ahead of Truss, Patel, Hunt and Gove

The thought of Raab as PM is enough to make me think that fining Boris Johnson might not be such a great idea after all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Boris and Sunak are both fined for attending Boris' birthday party, forcing Boris out and ending Sunak's leadership campaign then get on Deputy PM Raab as next Tory leader and PM.

By the time he has worked out "nomination" is actually an important part of being elected leader of the party, the process will long be over.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Never buy ‘beer’ from a supermarket in the Middle East.

It’s actually a huge growth area for the brewers, but was quite the double-take when I first saw ‘Heineken’ and ‘Budweiser’ on sale in the local shop out here!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

Alternatively we could try pounding Eton to rubble with high explosive ordnance?
    Silly idea. We could disassemble it brick by brick and sell it to some shithole country that thinks it can buy prestige. You know, countries like Saudi Arabia or the USA.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234
    kjh said:

Sarah Vine complaining on TV about being misrepresented in the press and how it put her in a dark place. Pot and Kettle.

No self-awareness at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    ydoethur said:

Indeed, but the question is how many people that comprises. I'd guess fewer than there used to be, but still a fair number. It still surprises me - adultery is shameful behaviour but there is the matter of proportion.

As for her thoughts on death and succession and something we're not being told, she's 95 and her 99 year old husband died, the thought is bound to come up. Especially as she has fewer engagements.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Taz said:

Low alcohol and alcohol free beer has come a long way from the 1990’s when I worked in pubs and only had Kaliber as an option. As others have said there are a few decent ones now, nicely filling the gap between booze and soft drinks. You do have to find what you like. Some taste like watered down beer. Some are plain weird. Ghost ship and nanny state are decent.
    Punk AF is good too, and of the lagers Heiniken. Thornbridge do an AF Stout that is quite drinkable too.

Most contain some residual alcohol, so not truly alcohol free, and it is one of the fastest growing sectors of the market, Alcohol free wine is undrinkable though.

• Options

Fair or otherwise it would leave him in the clear. And we could have the Gray report in full....

If there is a six month cutoff, why are the police investigating at all?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Day 7...

He might see it as a chance to restore the great name of Eton College which has fallen into disrepute.
  • Options
    IDS still backs Boris on Marr but says he must regain the public's trust.
  • Options
    kjh said:

On topic: I don't think Boris will resign if fined. I also don't think he will go if he wins a VONC by just 1 vote.

If he's not required to, he wont. Even where he should be required to, like misleading the House (and it is bit credible it was not knowingly) he wont.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    ydoethur said:

Is it 6 months from the date of incident, or from the date that the police became aware of it?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

For completeness:

Don’t Know: 42
    Sunak: 29
    Raab: 7
    Truss: 5
    Patel: 4
    Hunt: 4
    Give: 3

As Dr Johnson observed “ Sir, there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea."
    "Vote Sunak: We know there are issues, but honestly, he's the best we've got."

(Much the same could be said of the Labour leader, to be fair.)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,802
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

There is a quote below back from 1988 where Boris boasts of manipulating and deceiving people. He has done remarkably well to continue doing that for another 35 years, openly and publicly, yet still have followers who think he is someone they can lend their trust!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

moonshine said:

Absolutely. In a coalition, one party acts as a check upon the other.
    PR didn't stop Berlusconi
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not my interpretation of what he said. If you mean he hasn't sent in a letter, well you are right, but not exactly wholehearted support.
  • Options
    kjh said:

He will quote Churchill: "One is enough...."

And possibly "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which he never will. Partly because it's too late and partly because it isn't in Johnson's being
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Is it 6 months from the date of incident, or from the date that the police became aware of it?
    If it's a formal statute of limitations, it should be the date of the incident. E.g. you cannot sue for libel more than a year after publication, or receive a speeding ticket after more than fourteen days have passed.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Not my interpretation of what he said. If you mean he hasn't sent in a letter, well you are right, but not exactly wholehearted support.
    A failure to send a letter counts as support, as the longer he puts off a challenge the better.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Punk AF is good too, and of the lagers Heiniken. Thornbridge do an AF Stout that is quite drinkable too.

Most contain some residual alcohol, so not truly alcohol free, and it is one of the fastest growing sectors of the market, Alcohol free wine is undrinkable though.

According to the non-alcohol pitch on Dragons' Den the other week, non-alcoholic in the UK is officially 0.5 degrees and below. Even a ripe banana has 0.5 degrees of alcohol.

I didn't fact-check this.

I'm teetotal and love it.
This discussion has been closed.