Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The PM’s branding Starmer as “a lawyer” hardly a negative – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,482

Andy_JS said:

"Another Day Without Sue Gray"

Sounds like a track by a second-rate singer-songwriter from the 1970s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

'Carrie doesn't live here any more'
    ‘run, Dilyn, run’
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited January 2022
    stodge said:

On Pidcock and collapse of Corbyn left within Labour:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m
    It’s astounding, I’ve never seen a political movement end up in such a terrible position from such a good one. Political volatility is one thing but it’s extraordinary.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1486416959260528653

Johnsonian populist conservatism about to join it in the gutter of history with any luck.
    He and Corbyn could launch a new party together, perhaps? After all they're basically very similar people and Johnson has even followed similar policies to Corbyn's own ideas.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    stodge said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m
    It’s astounding, I’ve never seen a political movement end up in such a terrible position from such a good one. Political volatility is one thing but it’s extraordinary.

Johnsonian populist conservatism about to join it in the gutter of history with any luck.
    Don't hold your breath.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

His earlier tweet sums up the problem. Pidcocks resignation is reflective of the left abandoning the power and influence they have, in the administrative structure of the labour party. They are just giving up and walking away.
    Sorry to hear that. Get better! Check that oximeter

I’m pretty sure I had Omicron in early December - or Covid anyway - very possibly a 2nd dose - and yes it was bad. I was delirious for maybe 3-4 days, sleeping - fitfully - for 20 hours at a time. My tests were neg but I had loss of sense of smell for 24 hours, in a way I have never experienced before. Most odd. Must have been Covid

Weirdly there would be spells of a few hours when I felt almost completely fine, and could get up, even drive, then it came back. I was drained for a week, had a lingering cough for 3 weeks, now I feel just fine (but fat). No Long Covid, thank the Lord

good luck. I agree this is with us now for the rest of our lives, very likely. A new nasty flu which will return time and again, but we will learn to live with it, as we do with flu

Yes. Sobering to think how much misery some dicking about in a Chinese lab has caused and will continue to cause.
  • Options

Omnium said:

I continue to disbelieve that you're so left wing NP! (You weren't once)

If the left want to have influence then they should disengage with McDonnell. Corbyn should just retire.

The newish left-wingers were of course all the rage a few months ago. In the spotlight before their time perhaps. Long-Bailey being the obvious example. ( A progression from completely hopeless to much better)

I was always left-wing, but perhaps unusually willing to settle for half a loaf at a time. There was so much that needed doing - public services, minimum wage, overseas aid, social reforms like civil partnerships - and then more good things that materialised like the Northern Ireland Peace Agreement. Complaining that Tony wasn't *also* nationalising the railways or introducing a wealth tax seemed greedy, and I was quite happy simply promoting what we were doing. Clearly Iraq was a mistake (though in my opinion an honest one) and I got a bit fed up in the latter days when the agenda seemed to narrow to Tony's personal views on privatisation, and so I welcomed Jeremy as a fresh wind.

I think that's how it usually works - have a more centrist government doing a social democrat job for a while, and then perhaps people will gain an appetite for more. It's still worth doing even if they don't, compared with another decade of increasingly erratic Tory populism.
    If only thousands of left wingers could see your argument that "half a loaf at a time" will work then labour would be in far better state.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

His earlier tweet sums up the problem. Pidcocks resignation is reflective of the left abandoning the power and influence they have, in the administrative structure of the labour party. They are just giving up and walking away.

I’m pretty sure I had Omicron in early December - or Covid anyway - very possibly a 2nd dose - and yes it was bad. I was delirious for maybe 3-4 days, sleeping - fitfully - for 20 hours at a time. My tests were neg but I had loss of sense of smell for 24 hours, in a way I have never experienced before. Most odd. Must have been Covid

Weirdly there would be spells of a few hours when I felt almost completely fine, and could get up, even drive, then it came back. I was drained for a week, had a lingering cough for 3 weeks, now I feel just fine (but fat). No Long Covid, thank the Lord

good luck. I agree this is with us now for the rest of our lives, very likely. A new nasty flu which will return time and again, but we will learn to live with it, as we do with flu

Yes. Sobering to think how much misery some dicking about in a Chinese lab has caused and will continue to cause.
    It is an extraordinary example of chaos theory.

Man eats bat in Wuhan, world economy and society jams solid.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Who can blame her? Every night there is a racket as young people get pissed right outside her flat door. And she has Wilf to think of.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Yes indeed. thanks, appreciated. I feel like I am being punished for all my 'its just the flu' remarks I have made to people over the last 2 years. Its been a good few years since I have been so ill I've had to stop working and go to bed, I suppose just luck. Hope it improves tomorrow and I can be freed on Day 6.
  • Options

Off topic: Confusion at work when someone asked for people's availability for a meeting "next Friday", and everyone thought they meant "this Friday".

At the moment, next Friday is this Friday. You mean Friday next. HTH but if it doesn't, consider using dates.
    For me this Friday is always the one in the current week, and next Friday is the following one, but I agree it’s a touch ambiguous.
    Surely "Friday week" is unambiguous.
    The whole thing is a pain, and there may be regional differences. My experience over 25 years of international scheduling is use days with dates and time zones with times, avoid noon and midnight, and even then there can be confusion.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070

Off topic: Confusion at work when someone asked for people's availability for a meeting "next Friday", and everyone thought they meant "this Friday".

At the moment, next Friday is this Friday. You mean Friday next. HTH but if it doesn't, consider using dates.
    For me this Friday is always the one in the current week, and next Friday is the following one, but I agree it’s a touch ambiguous.
    Why not just say this Friday and Friday week? No ambiguity there.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237

Why not just say this Friday and Friday week? No ambiguity there.
    Now where would the fun be in that?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    stodge said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

No, because Johnsonian populism enjoys considerable support among the kind of people who run newspapers and make seven figure political donations, while the idea of a far left government scares the shit out of them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,354
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Must have been a bat out of hell.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Welcome change coming in our Covid reporting.

BNO Newsroom
    @BNODesk
    NEW: UK moves to include COVID-19 reinfection in daily figures, starting with England on Monday
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Should have stuck to meat loaf.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Yes indeed. thanks, appreciated. I feel like I am being punished for all my 'its just the flu' remarks I have made to people over the last 2 years. Its been a good few years since I have been so ill I've had to stop working and go to bed, I suppose just luck. Hope it improves tomorrow and I can be freed on Day 6.
    Don't push yourself too hard. There are alarming figures out today about the sequelae of Covid in the heart attack and stroke figures where people have not appreciated how damaged they have been.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

There are rumours that Corbyn is about to launch a new party ...
    Under FPTP a Boris wet dream
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Pulpstar said:

BNO Newsroom
    @BNODesk
    NEW: UK moves to include COVID-19 reinfection in daily figures, starting with England on Monday

will it be broken down in to infections and re-infections or just one total number?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

BNO Newsroom
    @BNODesk

will it be broken down in to infections and re-infections or just one total number?
    I'd hope both would be given !

Headline number should probably include reinfections though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Oh very good. A simple like doesn't do that justice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Don't think so - I know lots of people who love him but wouldn't dream of it. He does have a peace and justice project which focuses on refugee issues and the like - I'm a subscriber - but it's nothing like a party. McDonnell and Abbott, his closest allies forever, have flatly ruled thr idea out. And he doesn't have the ego to do it for the lolz like Galloway. I think he'll fight Islington North as a fearless independent, win easily on that basis (I've never seen such a strong personal vote locally - think Livingstone vs. Dobson), and content himself with trying to keep us honest.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can’t provide a link, sadly, but Danny the Fink has a typically erudite piece in the Times today about Ministerial responsibility. Well worth a read if you can access it but the short version is that Boris is constitutionally responsible for the culture in No 10 and his political appointees as well as civil servants clearly acting in his name.

Anyone claiming Boris has been personally cleared by Gray, if he is, really should reflect on it.

I claim politics doesn’t work like that. Look at Trumps style and as you put it “culture” - he got in, look at the votes he got, very nearly stayed in.

Today we saw Trump Boris. If Boris emerges from this, it can be cathartic - like Alien bursting out a stomach in middle of Love Actually.

I am not 100% sure Boris loses his majority at the next general election. Anyone 100% convinced he will?

Even today, straight after this crisis in his character, in the mid term, Sky’s vox popping in bell weather seat is getting lots “still supporting Boris, he has got the big calls right in the bigger picture”.

Perhaps Starmer should stop looking and acting so smug and complacent.
    See, I kinda get that and I do agree with them that he has got at least many of the big calls right.

But we simply cannot have a PM whose word on anything, not just his love life but anything at all, cannot be trusted. If that happens we are in a Trumpian nightmare which the Americans have shown it is seriously hard to wake up from. In fairness, I would still rather have a PM who eats birthday cake or has a drink in the garden to one who gets his supporters to occupy the HoC whilst armed but its on the spectrum. These lies are corrossive.
    As Dura Ace posted earlier, how is 84th Party leak even with a picture, going to move the dial more other 83 didn’t. each new Party revelation leaked out now is beginning to look like this news preaches to the already perverted, In fact seems to be more Boris defenders around and they seem more bullish this week than last week.

This is down to those fundamentals in the bigger picture. He was never voted for for his probity or puritan life style - Boris has this huge reputation of delivery, and getting big calls right. Brexit. Covid. Now to unite country and level up. So that next GE is long way off, will there be no swingback? Is he really finished? Can Starmer and his party really be so complacent and smug when screaming Eagles posts Tories only best to lead economy by 6? That figure could still grow for Tories even during a cost of living crisis if applauded for getting the big calls right.

It’s not really unprecedented for PMs to have crisis weeks and recover. Blair and Thatcher had to endure bad weeks of pressure only to go on to comfortable election wins - I think Thatcher herself remarked she thought she might even be ousted by the end of one day in the Westland kerfuffle? But when it came to next election she had not even been wounded.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    NEW: Trudy Harrison, PM's PPS, contacted a private charter company on 25 Aug 21 (same date as FCO letter) to secure plane to evacuate animals and staff for Nowzad. A private sponsor funded, but she made clear her role with PM and told staff he was keen to get animals out quickly.
    https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/1486434102127607810
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    darkage said:

All the very best. In reality it does seem to vary from awful to trivial - sorry you've ended up with the nasty end. Let us entertain you with outrageous opinions while you recuperate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can’t provide a link, sadly, but Danny the Fink has a typically erudite piece in the Times today about Ministerial responsibility. Well worth a read if you can access it but the short version is that Boris is constitutionally responsible for the culture in No 10 and his political appointees as well as civil servants clearly acting in his name.

Anyone claiming Boris has been personally cleared by Gray, if he is, really should reflect on it.

I claim politics doesn’t work like that. Look at Trumps style and as you put it “culture” - he got in, look at the votes he got, very nearly stayed in.

Today we saw Trump Boris. If Boris emerges from this, it can be cathartic - like Alien bursting out a stomach in middle of Love Actually.

I am not 100% sure Boris loses his majority at the next general election. Anyone 100% convinced he will?

Even today, straight after this crisis in his character, in the mid term, Sky’s vox popping in bell weather seat is getting lots “still supporting Boris, he has got the big calls right in the bigger picture”.

See, I kinda get that and I do agree with them that he has got at least many of the big calls right.

But we simply cannot have a PM whose word on anything, not just his love life but anything at all, cannot be trusted. If that happens we are in a Trumpian nightmare which the Americans have shown it is seriously hard to wake up from. In fairness, I would still rather have a PM who eats birthday cake or has a drink in the garden to one who gets his supporters to occupy the HoC whilst armed but its on the spectrum. These lies are corrossive.
    As Dura Ace posted earlier, how is 84th Party leak even with a picture, going to move the dial more other 83 didn’t. each new Party revelation leaked out now is beginning to look like this news preaches to the already perverted, In fact seems to be more Boris defenders around and they seem more bullish this week than last week.

This is down to those fundamentals in the bigger picture. He was never voted for for his probity or puritan life style - Boris has this huge reputation of delivery, and getting big calls right. Brexit. Covid. Now to unite country and level up. So that next GE is long way off, will there be no swingback? Is he really finished? Can Starmer and his party really be so complacent and smug when screaming Eagles posts Tories only best to lead economy by 6? That figure could still grow for Tories even during a cost of living crisis if applauded for getting the big calls right.

It’s not really unprecedented for PMs to have crisis weeks and recover. Blair and Thatcher had to endure bad weeks of pressure only to go on to comfortable election wins - I think Thatcher herself remarked she thought she might even be ousted by the end of one day in the Westland kerfuffle? But when it came to next election she had not even been wounded.
    The focus is wrong and to be fair SKS has been spot on about this. The focus should not be on whether there were parties or cakes or drink. The focus should be entirely on whether he lied to the HoC about it. If he did, and he did, he has to go. If he had fessed up he would probably have got away with it.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936

COVID Summary

- Cases up slights. R is above 1. This is down to cases in the younger groups as before. There seems to be three groups here now. The youngest and unvaccinated. The 15-45s in the middle (around R=1) , and a third group of the 45+ who have an R below 1.

Is the local-region data good enough to do age-group breakdowns? Here (Cambridge) the total case numbers are now higher than they were over Christmas/New Year...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

You surely can't believe that he is going to do a better job of splitting the Labour vote than he did the last time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    I know it makes sense, but I still find it amusing that a company that literally prints money is having trouble making money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60108945

Banknote printer De La Rue has warned that supply chain issues triggered by the pandemic and rising energy costs will hit its profits.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

‘run, Dilyn, run’
    ‘The good humour man redacts his report, whilst sitting on a hillside watching all the people die’

Am I the only one still playing?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/26/tory-mps-poised-to-send-letters-of-no-confidence-in-pm-after-partygate-report

"A new raft of Conservative MPs are poised to send letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson when the long-awaited “partygate” report is published, as the prime minister was pressured by his supporters to oversee a complete clearout of No 10.

Newly elected MPs wounded by the publicising of the so-called pork pie plot are understood to have remonstrated with more senior colleagues for leaving them exposed. But a consensus has now formed among more experienced MPs that Johnson should face a no confidence vote.

“It’s the white, middle-aged backbencher he has to watch,” one MP said. “People who feel strongly about their morals and to whom this prime minister can’t offer anything personally.”

Among those who are prepared to move against Johnson are more than two dozen former ministers – there are more than 70 in that category in total – according to the rebels’ latest calculations."

• Options

Andy_JS said:

‘run, Dilyn, run’
    ‘The good humour man redacts his report, whilst sitting on a hillside watching all the people die’

Am I the only one still playing?
    "I'm reviewing the situation
    Can a fellow be a villain all his life?"
  • Options

"A new raft of Conservative MPs are poised to send letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson when the long-awaited “partygate” report is published, as the prime minister was pressured by his supporters to oversee a complete clearout of No 10."

Any clearout that doesn't include Massive Johnson is a clearout that would be a complete and utter waste of time.

Which is not to say he should be the only person clearing his desk.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

I would do anything for love, but I won’t do bat’.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

It would not be cricket.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

FPTP is a pile of piss.

The BJP run India on only 37% of the vote (2019).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

The Vampire Strikes Back?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Getting big calls right.......TIME!
  • Options
    I called this the other day.

Police will ask aides of Boris Johnson named in Sue Gray’s report as having attended parties during lockdown if they are guilty and therefore accept a fine under regulations passed by the government they work for.

Some could be asked in writing to accept or dispute Gray’s findings, while others will have to be interviewed under caution. The investigation is expected to take at least several weeks, with detectives prepared to expand their inquiry if further evidence emerges.

The Metropolitan police will take Gray’s evidence and ask those she finds to have attended gatherings in Downing Street and Whitehall whether they have a reasonable excuse, sources say.

The sources add that, while the lockdown-breaking offences are relatively minor and do not result in a criminal record if paid promptly, any attempts to lie, or to get others to lie, could result in an escalation of Scotland Yard’s inquiry, with perverting the course of justice investigations launched. Suspicion of committing such offences could lead to arrest, full criminal investigation and potentially time in jail if convicted.

One police source said: “Lying could lead to a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice,” and cited the example of drivers facing motoring fines whose lies amounted to more serious offences, such as the former MP Chris Huhne, who ended up in jail.

A second source said “conspiracy to pervert would seem to apply” if concerted attempts were made to thwart the police investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/26/met-to-ask-no-10-partygoers-named-by-inquiry-if-they-are-guilty?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643225004
  • Options
    A new raft of Conservative MPs are poised to send letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson when the long-awaited “partygate” report is published, as the prime minister was pressured by his supporters to oversee a complete clearout of No 10.

The Guardian has learned that senior backbenchers are to move as a collective to force a no confidence vote in Johnson once senior civil servant Sue Gray releases her findings, which on Tuesday helped trigger a criminal inquiry.

Newly elected MPs wounded by the publicising of the so-called pork pie plot are understood to have remonstrated with more senior colleagues for leaving them exposed. But a consensus has now formed among more experienced MPs that Johnson should face a no confidence vote.

“It’s the white, middle-aged backbencher he has to watch,” one MP said. “People who feel strongly about their morals and to whom this prime minister can’t offer anything personally.”

Among those who are prepared to move against Johnson are more than two dozen former ministers – there are more than 70 in that category in total – according to the rebels’ latest calculations.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/26/tory-mps-poised-to-send-letters-of-no-confidence-in-pm-after-partygate-report
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

FPTP is a pile of piss.

Yes you can win a majority on under 40% under FPTP. So did Labour in 2005 and the Tories in 2015.

If a Corbyn party got 5 to 10% of the vote that could be enough for Boris to scrape home again under FPTP even on just 30 to 35% given almost all the movement to a Corbyn party would be from Labour
  • Options
    A consensus is also forming among Johnson’s allies that he cannot rely on the support of all his ministers, several of whom have expressed serious concerns to colleagues.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

It would not be cricket.
    Your cricket mad Dr Y. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing you enjoyed more was playing on your organ. 🙂
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

‘run, Dilyn, run’
    Living next door to Rishi.
    The ****.
  • Options

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Don't think so - I know lots of people who love him but wouldn't dream of it. He does have a peace and justice project which focuses on refugee issues and the like - I'm a subscriber - but it's nothing like a party. McDonnell and Abbott, his closest allies forever, have flatly ruled thr idea out. And he doesn't have the ego to do it for the lolz like Galloway. I think he'll fight Islington North as a fearless independent, win easily on that basis (I've never seen such a strong personal vote locally - think Livingstone vs. Dobson), and content himself with trying to keep us honest.
    Starmer should have kept him in. Even Cameron kept IDS, Bill Cash etc in the party pre 2010. Even Blair kept Corbyn in Labour. You need both the centre and your base to win a majority at a general election.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I find it amazing that no.10 deny the NOWZAD story, when the evidence quite clearly states otherwise.

It’s like.. they’re addicted to lying? Or that they’ve got away with it, so it’s just normal for them
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

It would not be cricket.
    Your cricket mad Dr Y. I wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing you enjoyed more was playing on your organ. 🙂
    Well, that's a hard one to answer.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

A new raft of Conservative MPs are poised to send letters of no confidence in Boris Johnson when the long-awaited “partygate” report is published, as the prime minister was pressured by his supporters to oversee a complete clearout of No 10.

The Guardian has learned that senior backbenchers are to move as a collective to force a no confidence vote in Johnson once senior civil servant Sue Gray releases her findings, which on Tuesday helped trigger a criminal inquiry.

Among those who are prepared to move against Johnson are more than two dozen former ministers – there are more than 70 in that category in total – according to the rebels’ latest calculations.

"poised" "to move" "prepared" "oh the world ended and we were still waiting"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
  • Options
    edited January 2022

A consensus is also forming among Johnson’s allies that he cannot rely on the support of all his ministers, several of whom have expressed serious concerns to colleagues.

Hmm. With the usual hypocritical backslapping in the HoC, ofcourse.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I still wonder if the alleged rowdy 13th November 2020 Downing Street flat party under lockdown 2.0 is the ambush on the cake. It is the only party left that potentially turns up the dial on what we already know - a flat party can't be argued in any way, shape or form as a work do.

Failing that, I also wonder if Dom knows anything about any times Boris might have got himself caked in bush.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:
    He's heard they might be hung, and he likes the idea?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    dixiedean said:
    If they keep digging the might find a spine to sell to the Conservative back benches
  • Options
    Evening all,

Quick question, which I'm sure someone here knows. If the 54 letters make it to the 1922 chairman I recall he goes back over all the letters to confirm if they are still all 'valid/current'

Does the list of people who sent letters ever get revealed? (Formally or informally) has it in the past?

I was just curious how it plays into the game theory of it all - for example I might be more happy to send a letter off if it was anonymous.

Just curious.

MrB
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Carnyx said:
    It is, of course, possible that he’s innocent.

I mean, he came across on the NN interview like a big fat liar, to me, but who knows?

It’s going to be one helluva trial.
  • Options
    MrBristol said:

Evening all,

Quick question, which I'm sure someone here knows. If the 54 letters make it to the 1922 chairman I recall he goes back over all the letters to confirm if they are still all 'valid/current'

Does the list of people who sent letters ever get revealed? (Formally or informally) has it in the past?

I was just curious how it plays into the game theory of it all - for example I might be more happy to send a letter off if it was anonymous.

Just curious.

MrB

Nope, it remains private, except for those individual MPs who publicly admit to sending the letters.
  • Options

Hmm. With the usual hypocritical backslapping in the HoC, ofcourse.
    Well obviously some ministers really mean it, *cough Nad* whilst others... RIshi don't believe a word - mainly I expect because Rishi stumbled upon the surprise party whilst trying to actually get some work done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:
    Are US juries deferential to Royalty? Maybe it's a calculation re American lawyers's skills in browbeating young witnesses?
  • Options
    🔴 Boris Johnson has privately pleaded with at least 30 potential rebels in a bid to head off a leadership challenge, while allies have set up a 100-strong “save Boris” WhatsApp group https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/26/save-boris-fightback-gathers-pace-contrite-prime-minister-meets/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643229940-1
  • Options
    Conservative MPs who have spoken to Johnson about partygate in recent days say he seems reluctant to accept he's done anything wrong

The alleged lack of contrition is going down badly w/ some as the PM attempts to shore up support, @politicshome is told

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/contrition-boris-johnson-parties
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Leon said:

My God, what if the anti-vaxxers….. are…….. RIGHT?

And the Earth really is flat? :open_mouth:
    Is it just the Earth that’s flat, or the other planets, as well ?
  • Options
    ping said:

Carnyx said:
    It is, of course, possible that he’s innocent.

I mean, he came across on the NN interview like a big fat liar, to me, but who knows?

It’s going to be one helluva trial.
    I may be getting muddled - I am reading it as him wanting a jury trial specifically not merely a trial by judge alone. But this may be wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

🔴 Boris Johnson has privately pleaded with at least 30 potential rebels in a bid to head off a leadership challenge, while allies have set up a 100-strong “save Boris” WhatsApp group https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/26/save-boris-fightback-gathers-pace-contrite-prime-minister-meets/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643229940-1

It sounds quite evenly matched, from the various reports tonight. The Guardian report also seemed to imply about 50-100 against. Bad news for the Tories.
    Scott_xP said:

Conservative MPs who have spoken to Johnson about partygate in recent days say he seems reluctant to accept he's done anything wrong

The alleged lack of contrition is going down badly w/ some as the PM attempts to shore up support, @politicshome is told

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/contrition-boris-johnson-parties

He clearly is completely incapable of contrition, effectively. That was what made his performance in the Commons today, but it could also be disastrous for him.
  • Options

MrBristol said:

Evening all,

Just curious.

MrB

Nope, it remains private, except for those individual MPs who publicly admit to sending the letters.
    Interesting, it is like a elaborate parlour game.

I wonder how many of the cabinet have letters in.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,590

Police will ask aides of Boris Johnson named in Sue Gray’s report as having attended parties during lockdown if they are guilty and therefore accept a fine under regulations passed by the government they work for.

Some could be asked in writing to accept or dispute Gray’s findings, while others will have to be interviewed under caution. The investigation is expected to take at least several weeks, with detectives prepared to expand their inquiry if further evidence emerges.

The Metropolitan police will take Gray’s evidence and ask those she finds to have attended gatherings in Downing Street and Whitehall whether they have a reasonable excuse, sources say.

The sources add that, while the lockdown-breaking offences are relatively minor and do not result in a criminal record if paid promptly, any attempts to lie, or to get others to lie, could result in an escalation of Scotland Yard’s inquiry, with perverting the course of justice investigations launched. Suspicion of committing such offences could lead to arrest, full criminal investigation and potentially time in jail if convicted.

One police source said: “Lying could lead to a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice,” and cited the example of drivers facing motoring fines whose lies amounted to more serious offences, such as the former MP Chris Huhne, who ended up in jail.

A second source said “conspiracy to pervert would seem to apply” if concerted attempts were made to thwart the police investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/26/met-to-ask-no-10-partygoers-named-by-inquiry-if-they-are-guilty?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1643225004

A series of reminders of why silence is so often the right course if one is suspected of something.

• Options
    A little perspective. Aside from Boris Johnson, there are 358 Conservative MPs. Around 120 are on the "payroll" - people who have government jobs.
    If only 100 Tory MPs have joined a WhatsApp group in support of their leader - a move that requires zero effort - he's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1486410886373945350
  • Options
    Can the Tories MPs just hurry up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:
    Are US juries deferential to Royalty? Maybe it's a calculation re American lawyers's skills in browbeating young witnesses?
    You only need to persuade a few of them of your argument. Easier than a judge?
  • Options
    🔴It has been suggested that Martin Reynolds, who sent an email to No 10 staff on May 20 2020 inviting them to "make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks" in the garden, has been “cooperative” with the inquiry https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1486444330411773958/photo/1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    algarkirk said:

A series of reminders of why silence is so often the right course if one is suspected of something.

I am reminded of the Ben Stokes / Alex Hales dust up in Bristol. One tried to explain to the plod how somebody attacked them with a bottle and then he fought with them, the other kicked a downed man in the head but said nothing. One went to trial, the other wasn't charged with anything.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

A little perspective. Aside from Boris Johnson, there are 358 Conservative MPs. Around 120 are on the "payroll" - people who have government jobs.
    If only 100 Tory MPs have joined a WhatsApp group in support of their leader - a move that requires zero effort - he's in trouble.

https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1486410886373945350

Most of the 120 will vote for him too, so that is around 200 and a majority even on just those ultra loyal MPs and payroll. Most on the payroll are Brexiteers and Boris loyalists by definition
  • Options
    The idea of Boris body shaming anyone right now is comical.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    kinabalu said:

I'd like to see a prominent role for Jacob Rees Mogg in the next Tory GE campaign.

I’d like to see a prominent role for Jacob Rees Mogg as the leader of the No campaign for the next Scottish Independence referendum.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Pulpstar said:

The whole "outrage" is all round. Boris made a reasonable quip in the spirit of what PMQs is and there is nothing more to it. If everytime Blackford stood up to speak all Boris went on about was what a fatty he was, well yes then you might have a point.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Most of the 120 will vote for him too

You completely missed the point.

The suggestion is the 100 come from the 120
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

FPTP is a pile of piss.

Yes you can win a majority on under 40% under FPTP. So did Labour in 2005 and the Tories in 2015.

If a Corbyn party got 5 to 10% of the vote that could be enough for Boris to scrape home again under FPTP even on just 30 to 35% given almost all the movement to a Corbyn party would be from Labour
    Can we please remove the off topic button. 90% of posts are never exactly on the thread header and it is not supposed to be just because you dislike a post
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

The best strategy for Johnson and Co is probably to just take the fines and treat the whole thing as a trivial affair, like a parking ticket. Its not good, but the damage is already done. They can just say that they thought the whole thing was a household gathering and everyone attending was on business or whatever bullshit they want to come up but they are so public spirited and everyone else was making so many sacrifices that they would rather just pay the fines than argue it in court etc etc.

If the system exonerates them then people will conclude it is corrupt. If they lie to try and make the problem go away, then they just get in to more and more trouble and the story drags on. Boris Johnson is possibly the only politician in the world who could pull off getting fined for breaking one of his own laws.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Most of the 120 will vote for him too

You completely missed the point.

The suggestion is the 100 come from the 120
    Evidence? Most of them would be backbenchers based on the article
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I'd like to see a prominent role for Jacob Rees Mogg in the next Tory GE campaign.

I’d like to see a prominent role for Jacob Rees Mogg as the leader of the No campaign for the next Scottish Independence referendum.
    No need there will never be an indyref2 allowed while the Tories are in power, so if Labour allow one a Labour figure would head the No campaign
  • Options

Further on Jack Monroe and her (good) work on highlighting inflation in food etc for the sort of food the poor buy:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/26/cost-of-living-crisis-ons-inflation-jack-monroe

She is 'Delighted' that the ONS is using a more realistic data collection and analysis methodology on foor pricing.

Also:

'Terry Pratchett’s estate has authorised Monroe to use the Vimes Boots index as the name of the new price index, which is intended to document the “insidiously creeping prices” of basic food products.

The index, Monroe said, would be called the Vimes Boots index in honour of Pratchett’s creation Sam Vimes, who in the Discworld novel Men at Arms lays out the “Sam Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness”.'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

No need there will never be an indyref2 allowed while the Tories are in power, so if Labour allow one a Labour figure would head the No campaign
    The Tories allowed Labout to head it the last time.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

kinabalu said:

He was a big hit in Glenrothes. With his nanny.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Pulpstar said:

The whole "outrage" is all round. Boris made a reasonable quip in the spirit of what PMQs is and there is nothing more to it. If everytime Blackford stood up to speak all Boris went on about was what a fatty he was, well yes then you might have a point.
    "reasonable"

The government of the UK is supposed to be serious business. So we get ...

"Will the PM give us his opinion of the balance of payments ...?"

"Ya boo spotty no na na I won't!"
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Talking of those who should have just owned up to their mistake and made full apology.

Ofcom has launched an investigation after the BBC's complaints unit partially upheld complaints about its reporting of an alleged anti-Semitic incident in London in November.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Didn't he have to be escorted out of one of tjhe schemes when he forgot to bring her along?
  • Options

Readers Wives.
    Ah that’s got your attention.

Oh leave it alone Eagles, this is a pre-eminent betting site, not Alistair Campbell section of The New European.

First rule of politics, don’t call it to a vote unless you know you win, second rule of politics, in votes on toppling those in power always vote with the winning side. They are nowhere near winning a vonc now, last chance of that rode out of town pursued by angry posse, fortnight ago.

This rebellion is extinct, it is no more, it has porkpied its last. 50 Cent Army of Boris haters now masterbating a dead corpse (hey look at me gonzolling out shit like Leon 🙃) You are so off the pulse of this, I wonder if you have any fingers.

To be straight with you, Boris and Conservative ratings WILL recover won’t they, with rally round the flag War in Europe bounce, especially as it’s not a war Boris can suffer trouble in. That doesn’t kick off till after the Olympics so as not to piss off Xi. And from there, who knows?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

I see no-one has taken the opportunity to opine on whether artists make good leaders yet.

Didn’t Nero fancy himself an artist of sorts ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

"reasonable"

The government of the UK is supposed to be serious business. So we get ...

"Will the PM give us his opinion of the balance of payments ...?"

"Ya boo spotty no na na I won't!"
    PMQs always includes an element of this. Every PM and LOTO resorts to certain amount of micky taking, its part of the threatre and always has been.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Didn't he have to be escorted out of one of tjhe schemes when he forgot to bring her along?
    There are several legends about Rees-Mogg’s disastrous campaign. Henry McLeish is probably the expert. Saw a lot first hand, and got the rest from his groundtroops.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    So according to today's Guardian, further down that report, the Johnsonian long-term plan is to sack a lot of people, talk a lot about changes in "structures", and then swan off on trade trips to Australia after the recess to avoid any more flak.

I'm not sure if this any of that will really work, given he has a parliamentary party apparently quite evenly divided on keeping him, police enquiries coming up to deal with, and Cummings with his relentless briefing machine and apparent internal supporters.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

It would not be cricket.
    It’s played with very hard balls.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

I can dream, can’t I?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If he had a brain he would probably offer his services to 'Yes.'

Fortunately for Nicola Sturgeon he doesn't have a brain.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

There are several legends about Rees-Mogg’s disastrous campaign. Henry McLeish is probably the expert. Saw a lot first hand, and got the rest from his groundtroops.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/mogg-off-leven-locals-remember-12563693
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-courier-advertiser-angus-and-the-mearns-edition/20220115/281913071475339
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

It would not be cricket.
    It’s played with very hard balls.
    I think we should stop there.
  • Options
    As Westminster awaits the Gray report, is the country feeling fury over parties - or are people fatigued by media reports of parties? @lewis_goodall has spent the day inside a focus group in Bury - catch his insightful snapshot of the public mood tonight on Newsnight https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1486440141770141698
  • Options

Stocky said:

darkage said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    31m

Are there many seats (outwith London) that a Corbynite party could be expected to poll more votes than continuity Labour?
This discussion has been closed.