Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The PM’s branding Starmer as “a lawyer” hardly a negative – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386

It's the specificness of the NZ 24 day isolation period. Not 20 days, not 21 days, not 25 days...24 days. I would love to know where that came from.

It certainly isn't following any science, especially with Omicron, where the vast bulk of people are through it in less than a week.

Even if you worked on the premise that it take a bit of time to pass from one member of a household to another, again with Omicron we know this will happen pretty swiftly.
    I'm reminded of the point that here, before Christmas, people were more scared of catching the virus because of isolation, than because of the virus.

By setting the penalty of catching the virus high they would be hoping to encourage people to take more serious personal countermeasures to avoid catching it.

So it's trying to create a deterrent effect. Massive overreaction in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301

Big BBC interview with Ipsos Mori lady.

What’s going on? I thought the BBC didn’t report on polling?

The BBC don't commission voting polls as a matter of policy and in my day with BBC News you weren't allowed to lead a bulletin on a poll.
    That more or less appears to be still the case - and there's pretty firm guidance around HOW other polls are reported:
    https://www.bbc.com/editorialguidelines/guidance/surveys/
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821
    Following the Italian press, just smiling at the oddity that is an Italian presidential election. A reminder that the president assists in government formation, so similar to Germany and the UK, but a somewhat more fraught job! Berlusconi got a lot of attention for trying to throw his hat in the ring last month, but that seems very unlikely.

It's a papal conclave type system. Parliamentarians and regional leaders vote as many times as necessary, bargaining in between, until a quorum level (66% dropping to 50% later) is reached. The 1000 or so votes are spread around hundreds of candidates, some officially proposed, some not, hundreds of the voting slips remain blank waiting for consensus to emerge.

In the first vote, the lead candidate got 36 of the 1000 votes, if history is a guide, the eventually selected candidate may have only obtained 3 or 4 votes at this stage. After the third ballot, the retiring incumbent leads with 125 votes - I think they are hoping to drag him back, with over 400 blank papers - it may still be that the eventual winner is nowhere to be seen. It's a jolly old process.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Twitter joke

Sue Gray to issue her report as an NFT
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

darkage said:

In day to day life most peoples engagement with lawyers is bewildering. They seem to find endless problems. We bought our first flat a few years ago and the lawyer found so many problems with the lease etc that it sounded like we were heading towards catastrophe and financial ruin if we went ahead with the purchase. But it was a cheap flat and we needed somewhere to live and now it has doubled in value, along with rents in the area, which we would have needed to keep paying if we were cowed by her dire predictions, none of which were ever realised.

Professionally I have dealt with all parts of the legal profession from high street basement lawyers right up to leading QC's. Their main shortcoming is that they are not doers. But Starmer can't be criticised on this front, being DPP there were clearly a lot of difficult decision making involved. It is harder to think of a better background to prepare someone for the role of PM.

Some of his decisions at the DPP were not the best, though For instance, prosecutions of journalists under some very peculiar old statutes, all of which were thrown out by the courts and criticised in excoriating terms.
    And he massively failed in the Jummy Saville situation.
    It wasn't just Saville, there was some absolutely disastrous handling of cases by the CPS after all that blew up.

William Roche, how his case got to court, it was embarrassing for the prosecution as it was found the witness accounts just couldn't possibly be true e.g. he was on set when he was supposed to have committed offences, he never owned or had access to a car and property that were allegedly used. Also one witness account, it was their partner who basically answered all the questions during the police interviews, which soon got pulled apart by the defence. The CPS hadn't done even the most basic of checks around the facts.

And the other end, Rolf Harris. He nearly got away with it, because again the prosecution again had done such a shit job preparing the case. They hadn't found any proof he was at an event where it was claimed he abused a young girl. It was only a member of the public who sent in footage half way through the trial to ensured he got convicted. If the judge hadn't allowed that new evidence to be admitted, he more than likely would have been found innocent.
    Isn’t there some question mark over Starmer’s reluctance to prosecute cases like Rotherham?

I recall some allegations to that effect. I should probably google to find out but I can’t be arsed as I am impatiently waiting for the first gin martini of the evening to arrive
    That is more iffy ground......The likes of Nadine Dorries have tried that line of attack and it doesn't really stand up to examination.
    My martini has arrived - with my only solid nutrition of the day, three pitted olives - so I am now happy to withdraw that allegation, if it is bollocks
    Perfect diet food
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,423
    kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Those who are criticising Starmer for bad decisions as DPP are really missing the point. He has been in a job, outside of politics, where he had to make very significant decisions. He went beyond the performance of being a barrister, taking the leap to be a decision maker. And not in the form a Judge, but as a prosecutor, under continuous public scrutiny. I just find that really impressive.

What did all these other people in Parliament do? Opinion writing columnist, novelist, councillor, a few years in an investment bank, think tankers... I don't think anyone is in the same league as Starmer. Just compare him to Braverman and Raab - both failed at magic circle careers, with their careers dissolving in to mid rate jobs where they failed to make any real impact; and now they seem to be being used to provide a front to provide credibility for what they and everyone else knows is bad law.

Even people like Emily Thornberry, Bob Neill, and Geoffrey Cox don't come close to Starmer, he is in a league of his own because of his background. That isn't a criticism of the other people in Parliament, experience shows that all different kinds of people can be good decision makers, and I am not exactly a fan of the Labour Party. But I do think that Starmer is exceptional in this one regard.

Enlightened sunny post from the often torrid darkage here.
    Yes, and unexpected

Hmm. Last summer I had lunch with a retired but once extremely senior judge, in his sun dappled garden in Burnham on Crouch. Beautiful asparagus

Anyway, the judge told me that Starmer had often come before him, and was the most impressive lawyer he had ever observed in his court

Against that, we must set Starmer’s vocal campaign for a second vote, which was not just rotten and immoral, but would have been catastrophic for the country if it had ever succeeded. It would have destroyed democracy and likely seeded civil strife. It really is a black mark against Starmer, and he should not be allowed to forget it
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,721

darkage said:

Those who are criticising Starmer for bad decisions as DPP are really missing the point. He has been in a job, outside of politics, where he had to make very significant decisions. He went beyond the performance of being a barrister, taking the leap to be a decision maker. And not in the form a Judge, but as a prosecutor, under continuous public scrutiny. I just find that really impressive.

What did all these other people in Parliament do? Opinion writing columnist, novelist, councillor, a few years in an investment bank, think tankers... I don't think anyone is in the same league as Starmer. Just compare him to Braverman and Raab - both failed at magic circle careers, with their careers dissolving in to mid rate jobs where they failed to make any real impact; and now they seem to be being used to provide a front to provide credibility for what they and everyone else knows is bad law.

Even people like Emily Thornberry, Bob Neill, and Geoffrey Cox don't come close to Starmer, he is in a league of his own because of his background. That isn't a criticism of the other people in Parliament, experience shows that all different kinds of people can be good decision makers, and I am not exactly a fan of the Labour Party. But I do think that Starmer is exceptional in this one regard.

This is not how modern politics works :)

It is far, far more dangerous for a party leader to have held a job under continuous public scrutiny. Because there is plenty to criticise.

As director of public prosecutions, Starmer refused to prosecute the police officers accused of killing Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson.

He did not cover himself in glory.
    Did he?

The Jean Charles de Menezes stuff was before his time, as this article states it was in 2006, and he only became DPP in 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6208836.stm
    I don't think "not being DPP at the time" and other "facts" are going to get in the way of these criticisms of Starmer.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

New: Hearing the prime minister is telling MPs (who say they are getting more time with the PM than they ever imagined) that this is a media / Labour witch-hunt, that he’s been through worse before and that he’s bounced back before and will do so again

https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1486334067842899968

Witch hunt, eh? I wonder if there are any other high profile pols that have used that defence?

Also is getting more time with BJ necessarily going to make mps feel more warmly towards him, unless they're very shallow?
    Ah, ok, fair enough.
    The 'Britain Trump' parallels are starting to really proliferate. The delight in lying, the laziness and high tolerance for chaos, the capricious abuse of power, a casual disregard for detail and for rules norms standards, a chauvinistic view of women, the brutish simpleton slogans, the crass 'humour' and spraying around of nicknames, the refusal to relinquish office regardless of events, the bullying and intimidation and general gangster vibe, and another that's just occurred to me - the humouring of young female close family members. Because the BJ/Carrie dynamic reminds me a little of the DT/Ivanka one. Johnson evacuates some dogs from a war zone because Carrie hears about their plight on the radio, Trump bombs Syria after Ivanka runs in sobbing about chemical weapons.
    A notable difference is perhaps that Trump seems to be relatively proud and caring of his progeny (no doubt connected to his narcissm), while BJ moves on from one bowlful of the fruit of his loins to the next, even reluctant to acknowledge their existence in some cases.
    Trump has a solid grass-roots base in his party, a huge mass of voters who are deeply devoted to him. As a result, something like this for him would be easily, easily brushed off. Johnson can't fall back on this level of support.
    Apologies if I'm wrong but I think you're based in the US? There's an interesting series on BBC R4 (and World Service so I guess available in over there), The Coming Storm, about the rise of QAnon, the storming of the Capitol, Trump etc. What I find really fascinating is how willing many of the people involved are to talk, though in the latest episode Jack Posobiec, tho' initially interested, suddenly became very shy. Perhaps a polite English interviewer makes the difference in the other cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001324r
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

darkage said:

It is far, far more dangerous for a party leader to have held a job under continuous public scrutiny. Because there is plenty to criticise.

As director of public prosecutions, Starmer refused to prosecute the police officers accused of killing Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson.

Did he?

The Jean Charles de Menezes stuff was before his time, as this article states it was in 2006, and he only became DPP in 2008.

I don't think "not being DPP at the time" and other "facts" are going to get in the way of these criticisms of Starmer.

As I have pointed out, SKS was asked to review the decision of his predecessor.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

darkage said:

Did he?

After the December 2008 inquest, which returned an “open verdict”, the family asked Starmer to review the decision not to prosecute.

He stated that there was insufficient evidence to secure a conviction against any individual.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/family-of-jean-charles-de-menezes-1009708
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

I'm sure there are things which are more futile than trying to ascribe personal political views to members of the Royal Family, but I can't immediately think of any.

If we ruled out futile political speculations on PB we’d have about 3 comments a day

My bet:

Queen: Leave
    The Late D of E: Leave
    Charles: Remain
    Andrew: Remoaner, wanted a 2nd vote
    Anne: Leave
    Edward: Remain
    Wills: Remain
    Kate: Leave
    Harry: Leave
    Megan: Not sure how Brexit benefits her, so probably Remain
    Queen: definitely L
    D of E: probably L, but he'd want Greece and the UK tied together, so not a definite
    Charles: R
    Andrew: he'd want as much young 'totty' in the UK as possible, so R
    Anne: L
    Edward: genuinely no idea
    Wills: R
    Kate: R (because she knows that she has to support her husband, even when he's mistaken)
    Harry: Where's the party?
    Meghan: My friend Oprah said that Brexit was a terrible thing

Edward worked in the arts and media so I reckon Remain, almost certainly. All his friends in that circle will be Remain

Kate is the daughter of quite Leavey people, I suspect, and will also have been guided by the Q, I have her down as a secret Leaver, she probably fibbed to Wills

Harry surely Leave: back then he was a lairy lad in the army. They are all Leave

Piquantly he met Megan a month after the Brexit referendum, I imagine she converted him to Remain instantly, but too late

So, Harry is the anti-William Glenn then?
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

And DPP's don't get to make political decisions. IANAL, but I presume he could only review his predecessor's decision under certain criteria. I suspect the problem was with the law rather than with Starmer's decision making.
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

fpt for OnlyLivingBoy

"No, I think BJ stays and BJ goes are about the same from a Labour POV. Johnson is the Tory's best campaigner as you say and has a proven ability to reach parts of the electorate his rivals can't. But, he has been severely compromised by current events. By contrast, replacing him now with someone credible like Sunak would give the Tories a bounce now but their ability to recover further might be more limited.
    To put it another way, I think the distribution of outcomes for the Tories under Johnson has a lower mean but fatter tails. The probability of staying in office after the next election might be more or less similar, but the chances of a huge defeat under Johnson are bigger and the average outcome is worse."

++++

That's a fair analysis. But my point is less about logic than emotion. Labour, and the Remainery centre and left, have been brutally duffed up by Boris more than once. He is the man that won the Brexit referendum AND then won the Brexit election, forcing it through (it is remarkable to remember how close we came to the moral catastrophe of a 2nd vote)

Boris, therefore, is like the guy who beat you senseless, in a bewildering and extremely painful way, several times.

Now he lies sprawled in the dust, leaking blood. Your brain says: He's finished. But your muscle memory, your subconscious, says Go over there and stamp on his head. Then shoot him. Then dump him in a river. Like Rasputin. Make sure he's bloody dead this time

One hint of a twitch of Boris reviving, and all the jangling nerves return.....

Not sure how you can say that Boris is the best campaigner the Tories have. He might be, but we know nothing about nearly all of them, except May and I grant you he is better than her, but then so is everyone. How do you know how others will perform? It is not as if he didn't have the campaign set up for him on a plate namely 'Get Brexit Done' and against Corbyn for goodness sake.

Without Brexit and Corbyn I'm not sure he would get away with hiding in a fridge and refusing to be interviewed by Neil. There might be others much better than him at campaigning.
    We know Boris is REALLY good because he won two London mayorals, against the grain, the Brexit referendum, against expectations, and then a large majority, against all the predictions

He is just very good at it. Now, the magic may have totally deserted him (or it may not), but that is an excellent track record. Better than anyone else in modern British politics with the possible exception of Blair, but he has basically left politics

Around Boris there is nullity, as you say. The bare and boundless sands.

If you were a havering Tory MP about to sack Boris, this CV of his would give you pause, especially when compared to his rivals, who are at best entirely unproven
    Congrats on being one of his few (in the literal sense) apologists on this platform. It is normally the mad or the childish that point out that the Emperor has no clothes. Clearly not always true.
    Surely Boris's limitation is that he's only a salesman. With Cummings or some other hard bastard in the back room pulling the le(a)vers which actually make things happen and steam-rollering obstacles, he's very happy to deliver a pool clip reassuring the nation that lying to the Queen (or whatever) is absolutely fine, and anyway.. look at me in my union jack pants.

But when the backroom intellect is delivered by Nadine Dorries wanting to cancel Match of the Day - or even at its best a Cummingsless Gove struggling to define levelling up - the sales pitch just looks vacuous.

As much as any wrongdoing, he's just run out of steam. The administration's like some insect in metamorphosis which expends all its energy on its raison d'etre (either Brexit or becoming a butterfly), then dies next day because it's knackered.
    He managed to insult all lawyers and you just managed to insult all people in sales! So sorry to be a pedant, but professional sales people don't lie as they get found out and lose customers. He is not a sales man, he is a con man. Thinks he can blag it and enough people will fall for it. He believes as long as he can fool some of the people some of the time he can keep feeding his big fat ego.
    OK.. "front man" then - or indeed "conman". My apology to sales professionals.

Essentially.. I meant he ain't the man who's sweated over the design of the product he's 'selling'. Which makes his pitch a hollow edifice.

However much (eg) Blair was focused on the selling and dependent on clever people around him, you detect he was invested in what he was trying to achieve. As "Two Articles" Johnson has demonstrated throughout, he really would stand up and shill for baby slaughter if he thought Herod was sneaking up in the polls.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Yes, and unexpected

Hmm. Last summer I had lunch with a retired but once extremely senior judge, in his sun dappled garden in Burnham on Crouch. Beautiful asparagus

Anyway, the judge told me that Starmer had often come before him, and was the most impressive lawyer he had ever observed in his court

Against that, we must set Starmer’s vocal campaign for a second vote, which was not just rotten and immoral, but would have been catastrophic for the country if it had ever succeeded. It would have destroyed democracy and likely seeded civil strife. It really is a black mark against Starmer, and he should not be allowed to forget it
    He probably just viewed the 2nd referendum as part of the appeal process.
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

After the December 2008 inquest, which returned an “open verdict”, the family asked Starmer to review the decision not to prosecute.

He stated that there was insufficient evidence to secure a conviction against any individual.
    Well if the inquest returned an open verdict (as opposed to something else) then there's not a very realistic chance of a successful prosecution.
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

Does that make him bad? There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the law here. If there is insufficient evidence to prosecute DPPs generally don't decide to make some up.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,487
    You earth dwelling lunatics, keep yer shit to yourself - MoonRabbit, Member of Moon Parliament for Mare Tranquillitatis constituency

“Wayward SpaceX rocket booster predicted to crash into the moon in March”

https://news.sky.com/story/wayward-spacex-rocket-booster-predicted-to-crash-into-the-moon-in-march-12525923
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    Is the report coming out today, then?

I have board games night from 6pm and there is a strict ban on phones ...
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

And DPP's don't get to make political decisions. IANAL, but I presume he could only review his predecessor's decision under certain criteria. I suspect the problem was with the law rather than with Starmer's decision making.
    My only point was he made a decision (which TSE contested and was incorrect).

It looks to me like the decision of an establishment stooge.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

I'm sure there are things which are more futile than trying to ascribe personal political views to members of the Royal Family, but I can't immediately think of any.

If we ruled out futile political speculations on PB we’d have about 3 comments a day

My bet:

D of E: probably L, but he'd want Greece and the UK tied together, so not a definite
    Kate: R (because she knows that she has to support her husband, even when he's mistaken)

Edward worked in the arts and media so I reckon Remain, almost certainly. All his friends in that circle will be Remain

Kate is the daughter of quite Leavey people, I suspect, and will also have been guided by the Q, I have her down as a secret Leaver, she probably fibbed to Wills

Harry surely Leave: back then he was a lairy lad in the army. They are all Leave

Piquantly he met Megan a month after the Brexit referendum, I imagine she converted him to Remain instantly, but too late

So, Harry is the anti-William Glenn then?
    Lol. The man that I suggested changed his moniker to Volte Face
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

darkage said:

Did he?

In light of an Open verdict by a Coroner. Given that verdict the likely decision was even more likely to be no prosecution than the original decision.

One thing I've noticed about all these attacks on SKS is that they seem to pick the popular but easily explained ones never an obscure one where the decision could have gone either way.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    boulay said:

darkage said:

Whilst your general point is true that there are a lot of people in politics with “average” careers I would suggest from my own experience in finance that the guys running the regulators (and often management) are generally (if not totally) those who didn’t have startling careers or ability in their roles in their area of finance.

The absolute best stockbroker I knew, an absolute legend in ability and the size and quality of clients could have been CEO of the business worldwide, brilliantly clever and able (and a qualified lawyer, natch) but he had no desire to get involved of the management and control because he loved what he did and did it brilliantly and made a very healthy fortune.

So to suggest that say Starmer has more ability and a better career than say Cox is pushing it - the heads of the CPS, banks etc aren’t always the best lawyers or bankers but people who find their place in the management or regulatory side.

I would imagine that Cox isn’t paid the sort of money he is because he’s just ok and I doubt Starmer (although I could be wrong obviously) was the sort of barrister who would have been first on the list for many big clients.

I doubt General Sir Nick Carter was the “best soldier” but he followed the staff route which inevitably puts you into a position where you are going to be “head” of something.

And I also think that from personal experience and anecdotes re the CPS, being head of it isn’t that great a deal - a giant amongst pygmies maybe.

If I’m wrong then I withdraw about Starmer’s genius but I wouldn’t go as far as a hagiography as you wrote.
    There may be some truth in this. But in Starmers case he made it to QC, was joint head of chambers - he had a good record, so he was at the top of his game and could surely have done anything he wanted with his career. DPP is not a piddly administrative regulatory role, it is making difficult decisions all day long.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Farooq said:

Here's a list of people I like who I think would have voted the same way as me because how could they not? They're nice and I'm nice and I'm right so they must be right too.
    [super_good_guys.txt]

And here's a list of paedophiles and genocidal psychos who I'm pretty sure would have voted the opposite way to me. Because boooo, paedophiles and genocide, boooo.
    [good_for_nothings.txt]

I know. He said the Devil is a Remainer. That's essentially saying Remainers ARE the Devil. Really silly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Having decided how the current royal family would have voted in the Brexit referendum, let's do the same with historic monarchs:

Edward VIII: would have found the EU insufficiently fascistic, and would have abstained
    Victoria: preferred Empire over European entanglements, Leave
    George IV: definitely a Remainer
    George III: Leaver
    George I: barely spoke English, Remain
    William & Mary: Remain
    Cromwell: Definitely Leave
    Elizabeth: Leave (bloody Spaniards)
    Henry VIII: Leave
    Henry V: Kept trying to join France - Remain

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

You earth dwelling lunatics, keep yer shit to yourself - MoonRabbit, Member of Moon Parliament for Mare Tranquillitatis constituency

https://news.sky.com/story/wayward-spacex-rocket-booster-predicted-to-crash-into-the-moon-in-march-12525923

This is moon abuse, by irresponsible billionaires with their over-expensive gadgets.

More seriously, we shouldn't be despoiling the moon.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

New: Hearing the prime minister is telling MPs (who say they are getting more time with the PM than they ever imagined) that this is a media / Labour witch-hunt, that he’s been through worse before and that he’s bounced back before and will do so again

Witch hunt, eh? I wonder if there are any other high profile pols that have used that defence?

Also is getting more time with BJ necessarily going to make mps feel more warmly towards him, unless they're very shallow?
    Ah, ok, fair enough.
    The 'Britain Trump' parallels are starting to really proliferate. The delight in lying, the laziness and high tolerance for chaos, the capricious abuse of power, a casual disregard for detail and for rules norms standards, a chauvinistic view of women, the brutish simpleton slogans, the crass 'humour' and spraying around of nicknames, the refusal to relinquish office regardless of events, the bullying and intimidation and general gangster vibe, and another that's just occurred to me - the humouring of young female close family members. Because the BJ/Carrie dynamic reminds me a little of the DT/Ivanka one. Johnson evacuates some dogs from a war zone because Carrie hears about their plight on the radio, Trump bombs Syria after Ivanka runs in sobbing about chemical weapons.
    A notable difference is perhaps that Trump seems to be relatively proud and caring of his progeny (no doubt connected to his narcissm), while BJ moves on from one bowlful of the fruit of his loins to the next, even reluctant to acknowledge their existence in some cases.
    Trump has a solid grass-roots base in his party, a huge mass of voters who are deeply devoted to him. As a result, something like this for him would be easily, easily brushed off. Johnson can't fall back on this level of support.
    Apologies if I'm wrong but I think you're based in the US? There's an interesting series on BBC R4 (and World Service so I guess available in over there), The Coming Storm, about the rise of QAnon, the storming of the Capitol, Trump etc. What I find really fascinating is how willing many of the people involved are to talk, though in the latest episode Jack Posobiec, tho' initially interested, suddenly became very shy. Perhaps a polite English interviewer makes the difference in the other cases.

American but living over here for a long time. What you mentioned is another big difference. Can you imagine anyone around Boris suggesting that Keir Starmer secretly owns an Aberdeen Steak House in central London? And that its basement was used as a clearing house for internal organs stolen from Eastern European immigrants (all funded by Jeffrey Epstein, of course.)
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

With adjournment debate about to start, senior Cabinet minister tells me: “I think you can safely have an early night tonight.” Some backbenchers now predicting no PM statement on Gray report until Monday.

https://twitter.com/joncraig/status/1486367853737656322
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/family-of-jean-charles-de-menezes-1009708
    https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1215306666104803329
  • Options
    eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

In light of an Open verdict by a Coroner. Given that verdict the likely decision was even more likely to be no prosecution than the original decision.

One thing I've noticed about all these attacks on SKS is that they seem to pick the popular but easily explained ones never an obscure one where the decision could have gone either way.
    Being DPP, you will get some decisions wrong.

SKS got some decisions wrong. Some big ones wrong.
  • Options
    The media are on speed dial 24/7

The report is not in yet - but when

Repeat and keep repeating

Is there no other news
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    This from Jon Craig as a Tory source tells me 90% no Sue Gray report tonight

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1486368657726971904?s=20

With adjournment debate about to start, senior Cabinet minister tells me: “I think you can safely have an early night tonight.” Some backbenchers now predicting no PM statement on Gray report until Monday.

https://twitter.com/joncraig/status/1486367853737656322?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

Er, apart from 100% of the sample ex-HMF on PB that is (me, Dura and Carnyx IIRC - any more for any more?)

And HCav in particular generally are 50:50 Remain:Leave as of the sample I come into contact with. Much like the rest of the population.
    But, with all due respect, you are all old (like me)

Younger military types are much Leavier. Especially the boozy laddish types like Harry (as was, RIP)
    Harry is a boozy laddish HCav officer.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

fpt for OnlyLivingBoy

"No, I think BJ stays and BJ goes are about the same from a Labour POV. Johnson is the Tory's best campaigner as you say and has a proven ability to reach parts of the electorate his rivals can't. But, he has been severely compromised by current events. By contrast, replacing him now with someone credible like Sunak would give the Tories a bounce now but their ability to recover further might be more limited.
    To put it another way, I think the distribution of outcomes for the Tories under Johnson has a lower mean but fatter tails. The probability of staying in office after the next election might be more or less similar, but the chances of a huge defeat under Johnson are bigger and the average outcome is worse."

++++

That's a fair analysis. But my point is less about logic than emotion. Labour, and the Remainery centre and left, have been brutally duffed up by Boris more than once. He is the man that won the Brexit referendum AND then won the Brexit election, forcing it through (it is remarkable to remember how close we came to the moral catastrophe of a 2nd vote)

Boris, therefore, is like the guy who beat you senseless, in a bewildering and extremely painful way, several times.

Now he lies sprawled in the dust, leaking blood. Your brain says: He's finished. But your muscle memory, your subconscious, says Go over there and stamp on his head. Then shoot him. Then dump him in a river. Like Rasputin. Make sure he's bloody dead this time

One hint of a twitch of Boris reviving, and all the jangling nerves return.....

Not sure how you can say that Boris is the best campaigner the Tories have. He might be, but we know nothing about nearly all of them, except May and I grant you he is better than her, but then so is everyone. How do you know how others will perform? It is not as if he didn't have the campaign set up for him on a plate namely 'Get Brexit Done' and against Corbyn for goodness sake.

Without Brexit and Corbyn I'm not sure he would get away with hiding in a fridge and refusing to be interviewed by Neil. There might be others much better than him at campaigning.
    We know Boris is REALLY good because he won two London mayorals, against the grain, the Brexit referendum, against expectations, and then a large majority, against all the predictions

He is just very good at it. Now, the magic may have totally deserted him (or it may not), but that is an excellent track record. Better than anyone else in modern British politics with the possible exception of Blair, but he has basically left politics

Around Boris there is nullity, as you say. The bare and boundless sands.

If you were a havering Tory MP about to sack Boris, this CV of his would give you pause, especially when compared to his rivals, who are at best entirely unproven
    Congrats on being one of his few (in the literal sense) apologists on this platform. It is normally the mad or the childish that point out that the Emperor has no clothes. Clearly not always true.
    Surely Boris's limitation is that he's only a salesman. With Cummings or some other hard bastard in the back room pulling the le(a)vers which actually make things happen and steam-rollering obstacles, he's very happy to deliver a pool clip reassuring the nation that lying to the Queen (or whatever) is absolutely fine, and anyway.. look at me in my union jack pants.

But when the backroom intellect is delivered by Nadine Dorries wanting to cancel Match of the Day - or even at its best a Cummingsless Gove struggling to define levelling up - the sales pitch just looks vacuous.

As much as any wrongdoing, he's just run out of steam. The administration's like some insect in metamorphosis which expends all its energy on its raison d'etre (either Brexit or becoming a butterfly), then dies next day because it's knackered.

Even if Boris survives, what is he FOR? What will he do with his miraculous 2nd (3rd, 8th) life?

There is no obvious answer. If he does survive he needs to get on to this, sharply

And if he doesn't, this is why JRM's noise about the necessity for an election is errant nonsense. The Tories under a new leader would need to use the next two years to design a platform which gets their 80-seat majority enthused to deliver, then show progress in enacting it and tangible results for 40pc of likely voters. "More of the same with less law-breaking" is not a winning campaign slogan for GE 2021 :)
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    rcs1000 said:

Having decided how the current royal family would have voted in the Brexit referendum, let's do the same with historic monarchs:

Edward VIII: would have found the EU insufficiently fascistic, and would have abstained

Given how often people have earnestly recommended we "control our boarders", I'd say not speaking English is also compatible with Leave.
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

Wait he did prosecute the police officers accused of killing Ian Tomlinson.

So the Welshman was pedalling fake news?
  • Options
    darkage said:

The unending supply of cnuts you've never heard of that the Tory party has in parliament never ceases to amaze me. At least in this time of crises he's concerning himself with the big issues.

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1486349166565601281?s=20

Its more a problem with MP's not being very good at social media. I did listen to what he had to say, and didn't find it that badly judged.
    'received a complaint from a left wing whingebag, groaner, moaner, whatever it may be'

'I think it's quite tragic really that this Labour supporter, Labour member, maybe even a Labour councillor, y'know, who knows..'

It might even have been SKS!

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Here's a list of people I like who I think would have voted the same way as me because how could they not? They're nice and I'm nice and I'm right so they must be right too.
    [super_good_guys.txt]

And here's a list of paedophiles and genocidal psychos who I'm pretty sure would have voted the opposite way to me. Because boooo, paedophiles and genocide, boooo.
    [good_for_nothings.txt]

I know. He said the Devil is a Remainer. That's essentially saying Remainers ARE the Devil. Really silly.
    I think it was a little more tongue in cheek than that.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

I wonder what Sue Gray will think about that, given that her apparently public call to publish 'within hours' has apparently been completely ignored. No doubt Johnson wants to calm down the momentum, and go through with individual MP's what's in the report first.
  • Options

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    Please share with us your expert legal opinion on what else he should have done?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,878

darkage said:

Did he?

This is another good one - refers to you know who.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1486319760451194880?cxt=HHwWgMCyhdD8u6ApAAAA

"As a lawyer, if I say something even potentially misleading, I am required to immediately apologise and correct the record.

If I say something intentionally misleading, it is serious professional misconduct, for which I could lose my livelihood.

I see why this is alien to him."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Leon said:

This is quite shocking polling. Fair comment on journalists, but have the British people never met any lawyers??!!

They’ve probably met those who help get compensation for all sorts of stuff, from missold PPI to bad dentistry to medical conditions arising from road accidents, and the rest?
  • Options

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    https://fullfact.org/online/keir-starmer-prosecute-jimmy-savile/

Hard to prosecute a he said / she said case when none of the victims are willing to stand up in court to give evidence.

I can see why the decision was made not to prosecute - but the police should have done way more to change the victims minds - letting them know they weren't going to be the only witness would have helped a lot I suspect.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ah, ok, fair enough.

American but living over here for a long time. What you mentioned is another big difference. Can you imagine anyone around Boris suggesting that Keir Starmer secretly owns an Aberdeen Steak House in central London? And that its basement was used as a clearing house for internal organs stolen from Eastern European immigrants (all funded by Jeffrey Epstein, of course.)
    Well, there have been some evenings on PB..
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

[super_good_guys.txt]

[good_for_nothings.txt]

I think it was a little more tongue in cheek than that.
    You know how Leon is. He's joking, but he's not joking. The forum Boris. He'll take that as a compliment.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Given how often people have earnestly recommended we "control our boarders", I'd say not speaking English is also compatible with Leave.
    Lest we forget the misuse of apostrophes by Brexiteers.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

darkage said:

Did he?

My only point was he made a decision (which TSE contested and was incorrect).

It looks to me like the decision of an establishment stooge.
    Wikipedia has this:
    On 14 December 2006, Lord Justice Richards (Richards LJ) of the High Court, sitting with Mr Justice Forbes (Forbes J) and Mr Justice Mackay (Mackay J), unanimously rejected an application for a judicial review into the decision of the office of the DPP on behalf of the CPS to rule out criminal prosecutions of the individual police officers who shot dead Jean Charles de Menezes, ruling that "[I]t was a reasonable decision ... on the basis that they were likely to fail"

I don't quite see that makes him an establishment stooge if he subsequently decided a further review was therefore not warranted.
  • Options

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    Please share with us your expert legal opinion on what else he should have done?
    Short of digging Mr Savile up? I'd be interested to know.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-britain-savile-idUSL1N2RP200
  • Options

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

They're right though. The average Brexit is, in fact, Brexit.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

I wonder what Sue Gray will think about that, given that her apparently public call to publish 'within hours' has apparently been completely ignored. No doubt Johnson wants to calm down the momentum, and go through with individual MP's what's in the report first.
    It is reported that the hold up is between Sue Gray and the Met on deciding on what can be released in view of the criminal investigation
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

Er, apart from 100% of the sample ex-HMF on PB that is (me, Dura and Carnyx IIRC - any more for any more?)

And HCav in particular generally are 50:50 Remain:Leave as of the sample I come into contact with. Much like the rest of the population.

Younger military types are much Leavier. Especially the boozy laddish types like Harry (as was, RIP)
    All the ex-servicemen I know (including a few under 30) were remainers. Sorry Leon, being a useful idiot for Putin doesn't exactly make you a patriot.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

It is reported that the hold up is between Sue Gray and the Met on deciding on what can be released in view of the criminal investigation
    Police responsible for a hold-up?
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jul/22/cps-statement-death-ian-tomlinson

"In the interests of transparency and accountability, the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, has decided that this detailed explanation of the circumstances surrounding Mr Tomlinson's death and the reasons for the decision not to bring a prosecution should be published."

The Guardian peddles fake news as well?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

The boarders were the ones crossing the border...so not entirely wrong
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

All the ex-servicemen I know (including a few under 30) were remainers. Sorry Leon, being a useful idiot for Putin doesn't exactly make you a patriot.
    Nah, Harry is a Brexit backing traditionalist.

He did what his ancestors did, foreign princes going to Muslim lands and killing Muslims.

So many Brexiteers thought that St George was a Brexiteer, being a patriotic Englishman after all.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

A source for this, please ? There was certain amount of scepticism on the security aspect earlier, that I saw from various talking heads.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    Well as Saville abused 500+ victims over a four decade period the decision of the CPS to not prosecute due to insufficient evidence was rather odd.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

A source for this, please ? There was certain amount of scepticism on the security aspect earlier, that I saw from various talking heads.
    Sky news
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

I know I'm not impartial but I'm getting the distinct feeling that we're enjoying a below average Brexit.
  • Options

darkage said:

The unending supply of cnuts you've never heard of that the Tory party has in parliament never ceases to amaze me. At least in this time of crises he's concerning himself with the big issues.

Its more a problem with MP's not being very good at social media. I did listen to what he had to say, and didn't find it that badly judged.
    'received a complaint from a left wing whingebag, groaner, moaner, whatever it may be'

'I think it's quite tragic really that this Labour supporter, Labour member, maybe even a Labour councillor, y'know, who knows..'

Amazing how the Tory mindset has changed in recent times: adherence to the law is now what only finicky, humourless, vindictive and curmudgeonly Lefties get bothered with. It can only be the rise of Trump/Boris that brought this about. I can't imagine it was a thing when even Theresa, May or IDS were around.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

Regardless what she thinks, she will say “okay boss. Do what you like to my independent report”
    She will then order a pizza. Next stop after her house he delivers to the guardian.
    But video footage will show she was naked when she opened the door to him, so it wasn’t a report she gave him.

Does this make sense?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Probably Johnson thinks of Starmer as a bit of a girly swot as well.
  • Options

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, the MSM tried to bury the fact that there were hoards.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

Sky news
    Hmm. That may be what is going on, but it also seems prudent to reserve judgement about that, after what happened yesterday, and the official claims on delay that were later debunked.
  • Options

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    Well as Saville abused 500+ victims over a four decade period the decision of the CPS to not prosecute due to insufficient evidence was rather odd.
    Read the 2 links that have been posted below.

None of those 500+ victims either went to the police or agreed to go to court were Saville prosecuted - so he wasn't because there wasn't any chance of conviction.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    rcs1000 said:

Why miss out George II? Actually led British troops against European armies, I think. Leave.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

I know I'm not impartial but I'm getting the distinct feeling that we're enjoying a below average Brexit.
    Your bias is showing. This is the best Brexit there has ever been.
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jul/22/cps-statement-death-ian-tomlinson

"In the interests of transparency and accountability, the Director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC, has decided that this detailed explanation of the circumstances surrounding Mr Tomlinson's death and the reasons for the decision not to bring a prosecution should be published."

The Guardian peddles fake news as well?
    More events came to light, so your original comment was wrong.

Starmer did eventually prosecute someone over Ian Tomlinson.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

Not HMF, me - just my dad (but very much so).
    Ex-HMF-wise, there's also me, and I was Remain.
  • Options

This is moon abuse, by irresponsible billionaires with their over-expensive gadgets.

1) It's the US governments responsibility - their mission.
    2) Musk's rockets are much cheaper than anyone else's.
    3) The moon is regularly bombarded by debris - about 2.8 tonnes of meteorite per day.

Apart from that, spot on.
  • Options
    100,000+ UK cases. Creeping up again

Deaths flatlining, admissions down (yay)

I see no reason why we won’t follow Denmark, and see another surge from kids plus BA2

This is, however, no reason to reimpose ANY restrictions. Omicron is here, in whatever format. Life is just riskier. That’s it
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

He did what his ancestors did, foreign princes going to Muslim lands and killing Muslims.

So many Brexiteers thought that St George was a Brexiteer, being a patriotic Englishman after all.
    St George was a Turk, no? Or at least from what is now Turkey. Easy mistake to make for a Brexiter.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386

darkage said:

Did he?

Does that make him bad? There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the law here. If there is insufficient evidence to prosecute DPPs generally don't decide to make some up.
    A lot of people feel that an innocent person was shot dead, we know exactly who was involved in the shooting and the decision to shoot, therefore someone ought to be responsible and prosecuted.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/1486344079755653127?s=20
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/1486345465746571278?s=20

Emily being helpful as ever, Lenin and Castro, your friendly neighbourhood lawyers turned leaders...but having to be dragged to say Thatcher at the end.

There is a strange mindset among some that can easily laud the likes of Lenin or Castro, leaders of brutal regimes, while finding it nearly impossible to give any credit to Thatcher for anything.

Maybe because I am not some party loyalist, but I don't have any issue in crediting Blair or Thatcher as leaders who were lawyers.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Why miss out George II? Actually led British troops against European armies, I think. Leave.
    No, he wanted to hang onto his German lands. Definite Remain.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,801

I think he represents the seat which has the lowest number of degree holders in the country, Stoke North.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

Sky news
    Hmm. That may be what is going on, but it also seems prudent to reserve judgement about that, after what happened yesterday, and the official claims on delay that were later debunked.
    This from the BBC 'checks'

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1486368574683951109?t=5jRm-2iCwnm3qJJOWVgz8w&s=19
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited January 2022

darkage said:

Yeah, well the correct response is obviously to just apologise for not keeping his dogs on a lead, if that is the actual rule as it probably is because the Council followed it up with him. But I guess that a lot of people will have sympathy with his indifference towards people that make these kinds of complaints. At least he is doing his job.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Nigelb said:

3) The moon is regularly bombarded by debris - about 2.8 tonnes of meteorite per day.

I don't think that's any reason for us to add human debris, though. We're doing much the same with satellites and space junk. Also, it's arguably humanity's responsibility, rather than just the U.S. government's.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,768
    edited January 2022

darkage said:

Amazing how the Tory mindset has changed in recent times: adherence to the law is now what only finicky, humourless, vindictive and curmudgeonly Lefties get bothered with. It can only be the rise of Trump/Boris that brought this about. I can't imagine it was a thing when even Theresa, May or IDS were around.
    What he said seems entirely reasonable to me and it's quite pathetic if someone has taken a political opponents video and complained to authorities about dogs because they don't like the politician.

Trump famously hates dogs so he'd be on the side of the snitch.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Yes, and unexpected

In fact - and maybe this'll be equally unexpected since you don't always pay attention - my view on Ref2, if we just strip out your hyperbole, was pretty much that. Ignoring the result of such a momentous enervating vote and doing it all over again was always, to me, a ludicrous (and not happening) notion.

But the politics steered Labour inexorably to where they got to with their Brexit policy. They couldn't leave the 'Remain after all' lane for the LDs to swim alone. That risked an electoral meltdown in 'young urban educated' Britain and the LDs maybe supplanting them as the main non-Tory party. That was the calculus. It's why they had to go the Ref2 route. Nobody's fault. Just the politics.
  • Options

darkage said:

Did he?

A lot of people feel that an innocent person was shot dead, we know exactly who was involved in the shooting and the decision to shoot, therefore someone ought to be responsible and prosecuted.
    Yet the Coroner came up with an open verdict and the original 2006 review of the case was that there wasn't enough evidence to get a conviction.

As I said earlier this was all covered before and there is no actual evidence that SKS had anything to do with these cases not being prosecuted.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    Hopefully someone will do the right thing and leak Gray to the Guardian, thus bringing this miserable tedium to a rapid close.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If your shit lands on my lettuce patch, your all *******!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

St George was a Turk, no? Or at least from what is now Turkey. Easy mistake to make for a Brexiter.
    Back in 2008/09 the EDL were protesting in central Manchester, one chap had a banner saying that it was shameful that St George's heirs were forced to deal with so many immigrants in the UK.

Always amused me.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    O/T Would love to hear Priti’s thoughts (ok likely tumbleweed)…..

“The president of Fifa, Gianni Infantino, has said his plans for a World Cup every two years could stop African migrants from finding “death in the sea”, in an extraordinary address to European politicians.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/26/fifa-gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-save-african-migrants-from-death-in-the-sea

The answer to everything must be “more football”.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,821

eek said:

darkage said:

Did he?

Jimmy Saville?
    What evidence was presented in a police case? That is the start point for the DPP, and if you can point to a police file that was submitted to not advanced then you have a point. I don't recall hearing of one, but then I may have missed it.

I know in various shows we have pathologists, CSIs, prosecutors, old ladies and even parish priests detecting, putting cases and the whole gamut, but I missed the 'Starmer: DPP' 6 part series where he end to end sleuthed to right every wrong.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

Sky news

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1486368574683951109?t=5jRm-2iCwnm3qJJOWVgz8w&s=19
    "Checks", which could mean anything by anyone, ofcourse.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,908
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. The hordes were hoarding the jobs... :smile:
  • Options
    Writing a brief for a recruitment firm. Had to add in something about me and the words "seasoned veteran" plopped out. I've been doing this shit for a few months off 20 years. No wonder my hair is going silver in increasing patches...
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jon Craig @joncraig

Sky news

"Checks", which could mean anything by anyone, ofcourse.
    Not no 10 as they have not received it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    kyf_100 said:

Legacy banks will charge you insane sums.

Money transfer outfits a lot less.

NuBanks even less. But their coverage, worldwide is lower.

The actual cost of transfer to the banks themselves is tiny, though. Crypto technology doesn't give any advantage, actually much the reverse.
    But the point crypto people would argue is exactly the problem, the bank has all the power and as an individual you just get shafted. They can move some numbers around for very low cost, but then charge you an arm and a leg to send $100.

Also, in the developing world people aren't banked or don't have easy access to a bank, nor do they trust them.
    Indeed, this is a point often missed.

Blockchain tech wasn't designed as a speculative asset, it was designed as a decentralised and personal alternative to the old ways of having bank act as gatekeeper and intermediary and demand a cut (some might say extort a cut) at every stage.

In many respects crypto is to banking as blogging was to journalism, a completely new technology that takes power out of the hands of the old gatekeepers and allows anyone to self publish, or in this case, be their own bank.
    Spot on:
  • Options

darkage said:

What he said seems entirely reasonable to me and it's quite pathetic if someone has taken a political opponents video and complained to authorities about dogs because they don't like the politician.

Trump famously hates dogs so he'd be on the side of the snitch.
    He says in the clip that he doesn't know who the complainant was, which rather makes my point: in his eyes it's inconceivable that someone who wants the law upheld can be anything other than a Lefty.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Applicant said:

My bet:

The useful idiots for Putin are those like the Germans who want to tie our economic future to Putin's gas, Nord stream II and those who wish to tie our economic and strategic future to Germany.

Britain leaving that was against Putin's interest.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Yes, and unexpected

In fact - and maybe this'll be equally unexpected since you don't always pay attention - my view on Ref2, if we just strip out your hyperbole, was pretty much that. Ignoring the result of such a momentous enervating vote and doing it all over again was always, to me, a ludicrous (and not happening) notion.

But the politics steered Labour inexorably to where they got to with their Brexit policy. They couldn't leave the 'Remain after all' lane for the LDs to swim alone. That risked an electoral meltdown in 'young urban educated' Britain and the LDs maybe supplanting them as the main non-Tory party. That was the calculus. It's why they had to go the Ref2 route. Nobody's fault. Just the politics.
    Hmpft

OK bravo for your honesty, and - it may or may not surprise you - I do respect the fact that you said this from the get-go (if I recall correctly): We have to accept the vote. We did. and we have. Thank God.

However this does not excuse the position of the Labour Party. If we are to call for Boris’ resignation - AS I AM DOING - on the grounds he is a perennial and incurable liar, then Starmer should be nowhere near the leadership of the Opposition, given that he was calling for the cancellation of democracy via a 2nd vote, just two years ago

Boris could argue Oh it’s just politics, so could Starmer. I don’t fucking care. Sometimes you stoop so low mere political advantage is no excuse whatsoever. This applies to both of them. Boris is a lying oaf who must go. Starmer is a conniving anti-democrat who should not be where he is.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. The hordes were hoarding the jobs... :smile:
    I do believe you've won this exchange. [Tips hat]
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Leon said:

I see no reason why we won’t follow Denmark, and see another surge from kids plus BA2

This is, however, no reason to reimpose ANY restrictions. Omicron is here, in whatever format. Life is just riskier. That’s it

You're panicking too early, or too late. It's a WoW fall in cases by date reported.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I don't think that's any reason for us to add human debris, though. We're doing much the same with satellites and space junk. Also, it's arguably humanity's responsibility, rather than just the U.S. government's.
    Space junk in earth orbit is a big deal, and a serious problem.
    This simply isn't.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    Leon said:

The Danes are lifting all remaining restrictions. France expected to remove restrictions.

As for your numerical contention, what was the cases total last Wednesday?
This discussion has been closed.