Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The polls don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2022
    God, what a mess this is.

I know he won in 2019 but ffs tories: wake up! He won against an unelectable anti-semitic Marxist. He is NOT going to win in 2024. Instead, if your party doesn't have the courage to remove him, you will be taken to the cleaners.

You have one chance to staunch the wound and mitigate against losses and it's almost certainly now.

p.s. I write this as a leftie who love to see the tories trounced but I am also, genuinely, concerned about the welfare of this country if you leave Johnson in office for another two years.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Sandpit said:

Essex County Cricket Club, McLaren F1, and various not proper rugby teams such as Wigan Warriors, who had their shirts sponsored by IQONIQ last season and had been due to continue with the branding this season are owed money.

They should be having their arses sued by their fans, for a lack of due diligence in allowing their names to be associated with such companies as IQONIQ in the first place.
    I'm an Essex member. Thanks for drawing this to my attention. I will be asking questions.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. kle4, the Romans changed consuls every year.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

darkage said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The racism furore in county cricket has reignited after the chairman of Middlesex expressed "outdated" stereotypes on why cricket is failing to nurture black and Asian talent.

Azeem Rafiq and Ebony Rainford-Brent expressed outrage after Mike O'Farrell told MPs young black players prefer football and south Asian communities prioritise education.

O'Farrell's comments were immediately likened with the career-ending words of former FA chairman Greg Clarke, who told the same committee in 2020 that south Asian people choose careers in IT over sport.

"The other thing in the diversity bit is that the football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community," said the Middlesex chief as he sat alongside other county chairmen at the first parliamentary hearing on cricket since Rafiq's bombshell evidence last November.

"And in terms of the South Asian community, there is a moment where we're finding that they do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary to go to the next step because they sometimes prefer to go into other educational fields, and then cricket becomes secondary. And part of that is because it's a rather more time-consuming sport than some others. So we're finding that's difficult."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/01/25/middlesex-chairman-facing-backlash-outdated-claim-black-people/

Sport should always be secondary to education. I professional sportsperson will have a career of maybe 20 years. A good education lasts for life.
    Depends how good you are, if you are an outstanding footballer or cricketer or tennis player or rugby player then you will likely earn more from professional sport than you ever would in any other field.

If you are only average or crap at sport, education is obviously far more important as you have zero chance of a professional sports career but your education level will likely determine your future earnings. You can still play sport for fun or fitness but grades come first
    As I noted down thread, "outstanding" tennis. It isn't true. I think most people would say 150th in the world is outstanding, after all your expenses you won't basically take any money at all. Tennis is one of the most top heavy sports going, Nadal, Novax, Federer makes £10 millions a year, Liam Broady (128th in the world) has to have a lodger to pay the rent on his flat.

Cricket, if you only make it to county cricket, again, no you will be on crap money. Minimum county cricket salary is £24k a year. Its only if you make it to international or IPL level that you can make real money.
    This is true for most sports. Don’t forget sponsorship though. County cricketers etc get a car, free bats and kit etc. They will also expect to get a benefit season towards the end, useful for setting up the next stage of their lives.
    I note Brady has career earnings north of 1,000,000 dollars. Letting out the flat you don’t need while globe trotting is just sound business.
    Cricketers getting free bats, while being paid £25k a year woophie. Its why so many have to have a second job of some sort (be it more cricket or other off season income). Also making it through 10 years of county cricket is far from a certainty. And its a pretty shitty life constantly on the road living out of budget hotels.

As for Broady, as explained, his expenses are vast and sponsorship small. I don't have the video link to hand, but he explains if he doesn't win a round at one of the grand slams in a year, he can't pay for his strength and conditioning coach. He spends £12k a year out of his own pocket on restring-ing his rackets alone. The constant travel for tennis is eye wateringly expensive, without the sort of income that say golf can provide.

I think he says from that $1m, he has made about $100k....in 10 years.
    Professional touring sports are brutal at the lower levels, the costs of competing are enormous and the prize money often doesn’t cover the costs.

If you take tennis, golf and motor racing, there’s only a couple of hundred people in the world making a living competing in each of these sports full time, but there’s a couple of thousand more who are working day jobs to try and realise a dream. Many of them work as coaches when not competing or chasing sponsorship, to be able to afford to pay for their own coaches and trainers when they are!

Earnings of a million disappear really quickly, when you’re paying for two or three people to travel to a dozen international events every year.

Of course, for the top couple of dozen people in each of these sports, they are living the dream and earning millions. That’s what most of us watch on TV.
    An old uni friend of mine was/is motorsport mad. He studied aeronautical engineering and got a minorish jib in tech. Last year, nearly thirty years later and in his late forties, he won a minor Nascar championship.

He has dedicated his life to motorsport, and seems to enjoy it.

Years ago Trans World Sport had an article on an American man who had retired from motorsport in his seventies. I'd not really heard of him, but he'd driven nearly everything going (including, I think, an F1 test in the 1970s). He made his living from being a journeyman racer - if someone needed a driver urgently (say because of illness in tintops) he'd jump in. Quite a life.
    Good story. The people who do make money at motorsport, are the team managers and engineers who work the hours just like any other job. Lots of hours though, high pressure and little downtime or family life. F1 teams are now losing mechanics to Le Mans endurance series teams, who pay a little less money for a lot less work over the season.

There’s so many drivers out there, and apart from the top handful in F1, Indy and rallying, everyone is trying to find money to go racing. Many of them work as track experience instructors, hoping that one rich CEO customer will take a liking to them and put a company logo on a race car or join together in a pro-am team. Others will work for a car manufacturer or parts supplier doing boring test driving, or for film and TV companies doing stunts, again hoping that they can find a way to get a race seat or sponsorship deal. It’s a totally brutal industry, and I’m glad I never took it any further than racing karts as a teenager.

Today’s teenagers are now spending tens of thousands a season to race in national kart championships, the problem is getting a lot worse, and the end result is a bunch of very rich kids making it to the limited F1 seats, while those with the talent can’t make it. Even right at the top level, half the F1 field are paying for their drive!

I imagine the same goes on in many other sports too, we certainly hear of it a lot in tennis, with parents giving up their own lives and spending money on coaching for teenagers hoping they will make it as professionals.

Right, back to the boring IT manager day job - have backups to verify, next year’s upgrades budget to argue about, and an information security training training course to update.
    I struggle to understand how some PBers manage to hold down a job at all. Some of you must turn up at work absolutely knackered.

It is very hard to justify. You’d be using your time much better knocking doors and meeting prospective voters.
    I would guess the proportion of pb in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit_Jobs is very high.
    My explanations would be either i) retired ii) living off wealth; iii) long term unemployment, iv) disabled, v) gainfully employed but single, introverted, or with little social life in the real world, vi) extremely productive. Or some kind of combination of more than one of the above.
    Retired and now, sadly, with considerably reduced mobility. Which is isolating!
    That's my excuse!
    Gives you opportunity to run mental rings around us (semi) youthful folk.
  • Options
    And JRM's battle cry that removing him means a General Election is the most pathetic piece of dissembling ever to pass his lips.

Of course it means no such thing. The tories have a whopping majority and will govern until May 2024. There is no moral, ethical or political reason why they shouldn't even if they remove Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited January 2022

Yes, but for half the part of Roman history Emperors ran things Instead did they not (I know they still had consuls)? Much more than half if counting the east.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    HYUFD said:

Morning all! Seems to be some confusion about whether the Gray report is coming out today or not - a mooted 3pm grilling for Peppa now looks less likely than before.

As for some of the late evening stuff on here, there is a reason I left the Church of England. Holier-than-thou sanctimonious hypocrites who endlessly whine on about the splinters in the eyes of everyone else whilst ignoring the Massive Plank in their own eye. The type who claim to be not only good moral people but Far Better than the likes of you and me whilst backing the very worst amoral unkind cruel things when not in church.

I don't pretend to be a Saint, everybody sins but as Christians you can still use the Bible as a guide for your life. Obviously you are so left liberal even a relatively liberal Christian Church like the Anglican Church is not left liberal enough for you (you obviously would not even get past the door in a more conservative evangelical Baptist or Pentecostal Church or the more traditional Roman Catholic Church) so no worries you are gone
    @RochdalePioneers and I certainly don't share the same politics but I do find him to be one of the most honest and open on here about his what he thinks, even it might be deemed unacceptable to many.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

I know he won in 2019 but ffs tories: wake up! He won against an unelectable anti-semitic Marxist. He is NOT going to win in 2024. Instead, if your party doesn't have the courage to remove him, you will be taken to the cleaners.

You have one chance to staunch the wound and mitigate against losses and it's almost certainly now.

p.s. I write this as a leftie who love to see the tories trounced but I am also, genuinely, concerned about the welfare of this country if you leave Johnson in office for another two years.

Latest polls give Labour about a 7% lead.

That is hung parliament territory not 1997 Labour landslide territory, especially after the boundary changes. Not one poll suggests any alternative Tory leader to Boris would win another Tory majority or even Tories most seats, even if Sunak might do fractionionally better.

The push for change is mainly from Labour, LD and SNP voters who still would not vote Tory even if Sunak was PM. If Labour was over 10% ahead in every poll ie pre 1997 territory, you might have a point, it is not
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    It's interesting the different strategies being employed by Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak to Partygate. Truss being the conspicuous loyalist. Rishi being conspicuous by his absence.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1486254641130074115

Both not doing themselves any favours by their stances.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Morning all! Seems to be some confusion about whether the Gray report is coming out today or not - a mooted 3pm grilling for Peppa now looks less likely than before.

As for some of the late evening stuff on here, there is a reason I left the Church of England. Holier-than-thou sanctimonious hypocrites who endlessly whine on about the splinters in the eyes of everyone else whilst ignoring the Massive Plank in their own eye. The type who claim to be not only good moral people but Far Better than the likes of you and me whilst backing the very worst amoral unkind cruel things when not in church.

I don't pretend to be a Saint, everybody sins but as Christians you can still use the Bible as a guide for your life. Obviously you are so left liberal even a relatively liberal Christian Church like the Anglican Church is not left liberal enough for you (you obviously would not even get past the door in a more conservative evangelical Baptist or Pentecostal Church or the more traditional Roman Catholic Church) so no worries you are gone
    @RochdalePioneers and I certainly don't share the same politics but I do find him to be one of the most honest and open on here about his what he thinks, even it might be deemed unacceptable to many.
    He is a secular left liberal and does not pretend otherwise I agree
  • Options
    kle4 said:

On the Rees-Mogg "we have a presidential style system now" comment, its genuinely a mark of how low the man has fallen. On the back benches he was always happy to invoke Bagehot and make some wonderfully precise and obscure observation about the mechanics of parliament.

Then into cabinet and he lies to the Queen, sprawls out on the Treasury Bench and now says Boris is President. Clearly he enjoys being in Cabinet and knows his time there is solely predicated on Boris being PM.

Its like the Jezbollah foamers on Twitter upset that the NEC refused to use their non-powers to direct the PLP to reinstate the Jeremy. Apparently the people of Islington North elected a Labour MP. When you point out that our electoral system doesn't work that way they get all upset. Do people generally just say what they want to be true rather than what is true despite all the evidence of their senses? I don't get it.

Sounds like you get it exactly!
    No I get that they do it. I don't get *why* they do it. Its probably my spectrum brain but I get bemused and befuddled when people paint themselves into a corner by making things up. things generally are or are not. You can't change that by chanting "i do believe in fairies", even if you persuade some people to believe in fairies.

To be fair my blindness on this front has helped me in business. Whilst I can see that some managers like to be told what they want to be told, reality alwys catches up and overrides the fantasy. In the commercial world the number is the number - you might not like it, it may be politically untenable but it doesn't change what it is. Better to accept it and build the narrative around reality than just bullshit through it - the web of lies always unravels.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Why are you so obsessed with identity politics?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

And JRM's battle cry that removing him means a General Election is the most pathetic piece of dissembling ever to pass his lips.

Of course it means no such thing. The tories have a whopping majority and will govern until May 2024. There is no moral, ethical or political reason why they shouldn't even if they remove Johnson.

He needs a remedial politics lesson (but JRM is right that most of the general population require one as well).

In reality our political system is very simple - we elect an MP to be our representative for 3-5 years and they decide what needs to be done.

That includes changing party allegiance and selecting a party leader who depending on the number of supporting MPs may also be Prime Minister and in charge of the country.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited January 2022
    R4 More or Less dealing with the “only 17,371 died of COVID” bollocksmyth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

it is not
    ... yet
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

You know that bit in the Bible where Jesus tells the parable of the lost sheep? I don't think it ended with him saying "so no worries you are gone". Perhaps you may want to reread your Bible as if your reading of His teachings is "so no worries you are gone" then you aren't using "the Bible as a guide for your life", are you?
    Christianity is based on those who intend to follow Christ's teachings and the Bible. If you intend to do neither, then indeed no worries you are gone
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, he’s a left liberal. I don’t know about his religious beliefs but, quite frankly, I think what he says about the plank in the eye stuff is far more applicable to many on his side politically.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Surely the better question is "why are you such a massive hypocrite". "I use the Bible as my guide for life" immediately followed by "so no worries you are gone [from the church]" is one of the funniest things I have read in ages.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

That is hung parliament territory not 1997 Labour landslide territory, especially after the boundary changes. Not one poll suggests any alternative Tory leader to Boris would win another Tory majority or even Tories most seats, even if Sunak might do fractionionally better.

The push for change is mainly from Labour, LD and SNP voters who still would not vote Tory even if Sunak was PM. If Labour was over 10% ahead in every poll ie pre 1997 territory, you might have a point, it is not
    Good morning Comical Ali ! You see everything through the simplistic prism of polls. What about what is right and proper? The Conservative Party used to, at least from my perspective, have a reputation of integrity. It will never regain that with this dishonest incompetent in charge.

I sense that for all the flack you get from others, you are actually a person of moral principles. Please stop defending the indefensible.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, he’s a left liberal. I don’t know about his religious beliefs but, quite frankly, I think what he says about the plank in the eye stuff is far more applicable to many on his side politically.
    I'm a lapsed Anglican. And you're absolutely right - the hypocrisy of so many people across politics is funny. Its not exclusive to left or right.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

I struggle to understand how some PBers manage to hold down a job at all. Some of you must turn up at work absolutely knackered.

It is very hard to justify. You’d be using your time much better knocking doors and meeting prospective voters.

....says frequent poster, @StuartDickson ;-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    On the betting, I think the value is at each end. If the report is devastating, the VONC will follow and a new PM will arrive by March. If it's not, he'll tough it out and the will to replace him among Tory backbenchers will diminish - they won't have an appetite for a state of permanent leadership crisis (though I suspect one or two defections may then follow). I don't think the May elections will change that - MPs tend not to care that much about councillors, sadly, and they'll say "mid-term results, meh".
  • Options
    Very good profile of Wes Streeting by @PronouncedAlva. I think the bit about the influence of his working class Tory grandad is important. Labour tend to do best when their leader doesn't associate Tory voting with morally bad. (Blair's Dad was Tory)…..

Corbyn obviously associated Tory with morally bad but Brown had it too. And Starmer talks about Labour in a oddly religious way sometimes too.

Just very hard to win the votes of people you do not understand and cannot bring yourself to think of as morally acceptable.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1486050921088008193?s=20

Attlee married a Tory…
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited January 2022
    So another day, another delay.

When on earth is Putin going to ride into Ukraine to save Johnson?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

I like HYUFD's clarity of purpose. I've got more time for him than the other pb.com tories who pretend to give a fuck about the lives of people in the North East who have cobwebs tattooed on their elbows and spend 25% of their disposable income on scratch cards.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Good morning Comical Ali ! You see everything through the simplistic prism of polls. What about what is right and proper? The Conservative Party used to, at least from my perspective, have a reputation of integrity. It will never regain that with this dishonest incompetent in charge.

I sense that for all the flack you get from others, you are actually a person of moral principles. Please stop defending the indefensible.
    Your senses are way, way off.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You know that bit in the Bible where Jesus tells the parable of the lost sheep? I don't think it ended with him saying "so no worries you are gone". Perhaps you may want to reread your Bible as if your reading of His teachings is "so no worries you are gone" then you aren't using "the Bible as a guide for your life", are you?
    Christianity is based on those who intend to follow Christ's teachings and the Bible. If you intend to do neither, then indeed no worries you are gone
    What do you think Jesus would have to say about Boris Johnson? I suspect he might turf him out of the temple. Offer him forgiveness and the potential of redemption, of course, but chastise him and tell him to go and sin no more, which we all know is unlikely. I am not sure he would recommend him as a leader of virtue.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Erm, I'm lapsed so I am making no claims about rigidly following His teachings. You on the other hand are making such claims and yet openly do the opposite.

Compare and contrast Luke 15:3 with "so no worries you are gone". Or don't. Honestly don't care either way. Its just really making me laugh so thanks for that.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

If you think the other side are blind ideologues, the blind ideologue is you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    HYUFD said:

So IOW, you take a quite relaxed view of your own behaviour, and seek to impose a rather more prescriptive one on everyone else ?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Roger said:

The News Quiz......a particularly good episode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013jc5

VG

On the betting, I think the value is at each end. If the report is devastating, the VONC will follow and a new PM will arrive by March. If it's not, he'll tough it out and the will to replace him among Tory backbenchers will diminish - they won't have an appetite for a state of permanent leadership crisis (though I suspect one or two defections may then follow). I don't think the May elections will change that - MPs tend not to care that much about councillors, sadly, and they'll say "mid-term results, meh".

If Johnson survives (and I think he will), then Douglas Ross is toast. Defection to the SLDs?
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sorry but that is entirely contrary to the teachings of Christianity. The whole point of the parable of the Good Samaritan is to say that it's the actions of the individual that matters most not their religion. Jesus condemns the uncaring people who happen to share his own religion and chooses to associate with those who are completely outside of it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,112

I am SHOCKED by this, utterly shocked to my core that this has happened, did anyone predict this?

One of sport’s biggest cryptocurrency-based fan platforms has gone into liquidation, leaving thousands of supporters with tokens that are now virtually worthless.

IQONIQ, which had deals with La Liga in Spain, the McLaren Formula One team and several leading European football clubs, has collapsed in Monaco. It was in effect a social media engagement platform for fans of the sports it sponsored and it sold its own cryptocurrency tokens.

The liquidation of the platform leaves clubs, sports organisations and fans potentially out of pocket. Its chief executive said that “millions” of IQONIQ tokens or coins had been bought and admitted that they were now worth almost nothing. However, he insisted that the value could bounce back. The Spanish club Real Sociedad have said that they are owed €820,000 (about £685,000) by IQONIQ. Crystal Palace have begun legal action over missed payments.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fans-face-big-cryptocurrency-losses-after-platform-goes-into-liquidation-czxpcwd60

The simple rule for crypto projects is that if it has "partnerships", run away.
    "that if it has "partnerships"," is redundant in your statement.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

kjh said:

MrEd said:

For those interested, piece looking at Trump’s claims in Wisconsin about the election being stolen (spoiler: no, it doesn’t say it was):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-summary-of-the-2020-election-biden-wisconsin-trump-lawsuit-voting-rights-fraud-absentee-dropboxes-ballot-curing-big-lie-11642966744

Interesting what they say about the impact of Mark Zuckerberg’s organisation - they think it helped Biden by 8K votes in WI.

Do you have a non paywall link? Cheers.
    This is the link via a service that gets around the paywall by pretending to be Google:
    https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-summary-of-the-2020-election-biden-wisconsin-trump-lawsuit-voting-rights-fraud-absentee-dropboxes-ballot-curing-big-lie-11642966744

And this is the original document that the paywalled thing is summarizing:
    https://will-law.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021ElectionReviewStudy.pdf
    Thank you. Interesting.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226
    edited January 2022

If Johnson survives (and I think he will), then Douglas Ross is toast. Defection to the SLDs?
    Yeah we'll have him, and the NE Tory voters. Rather than being repulsed by defectors like the Momentum loons I think it could be quite fun sticking DRoss in a room with local fishermen so that they can school him on how the Brexit settlement he advocated has broken the industry.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

So IOW, you take a quite relaxed view of your own behaviour, and seek to impose a rather more prescriptive one on everyone else ?
    Standard operating procedure for organised religion since forever.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You obviously don’t know much about the Baptist, Pentecostal or Catholic churches. Barring folk at the door is not part of their cultures.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Roger said:

VG

Or the Scottish Unionist party seceding…
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

I like HYUFD's clarity of purpose. I've got more time for him than the other pb.com tories who pretend to give a fuck about the lives of people in the North East who have cobwebs tattooed on their elbows and spend 25% of their disposable income on scratch cards.
    Hey I live in the north and don't give a fuck about those who want everything handed on a plate to them.

However, I also know that given decent infrastructure we could do a lot more and could easily become way more productive and with that generate way more tax.

Being blunt the issue isn't with any Government it's with the Treasury who can see the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing when it comes to big cost projects.

Prime examples:-=

BBC - should sat with Netflix as a world leader in quality TV
    BT - we should have had fibre to the house everywhere back in the early 2000s
    HS2 - fast passenger trains open capacity to move freight on to rail and provide regular local services.

And that's off the top of my head based on recent topics.
  • Options

The Kirk changes Moderator every year. Thank goodness. The quicker they get shot of Jim Wallace the better.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

Because he has no identity?
  • Options
    The latest excuse:

Huge row' behind scenes over how Sue Gray report released - as minister claims 'security concerns' mean full report may not be revealed to public

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1486267500937592833?s=20
  • Options

Very good profile of Wes Streeting by @PronouncedAlva. I think the bit about the influence of his working class Tory grandad is important. Labour tend to do best when their leader doesn't associate Tory voting with morally bad. (Blair's Dad was Tory)…..

Corbyn obviously associated Tory with morally bad but Brown had it too. And Starmer talks about Labour in a oddly religious way sometimes too.

Just very hard to win the votes of people you do not understand and cannot bring yourself to think of as morally acceptable.

Attlee married a Tory…

Wes was also interviewed by Nick Robinson for his Political Thinking podcast. Very interesting. The same references to his working class Tory grandad...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0bfyr10

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Other than Christianity as understood in the creeds (Bible conspicuously absent, following teachings conspicuously absent, belief front and central), or the dominant Protestant view of justification by faith alone, or the typical Anglican understanding of Christianity as belief and trust in response to the revelation of God through Jesus...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

You obviously don’t know much about the Baptist, Pentecostal or Catholic churches. Barring folk at the door is not part of their cultures.
    Barring people is also not in the culture of the Church of England. Unfortunately many parishioners hold views that make those who they dislike very unwelcome.

For the past 100 years it wasn't a problem because it resulted in people just going to a different CofE church but that's getting harder as the money runs out and parishes are forced to merge.

• Options

Roger said:

VG

Or the Scottish Unionist party seceding…
    Maybe, but two whopping great questions:

A. Which legal entity inherits the property?
    B. Which legal entity inherits the bank accounts?

If the answer is the English Conservative Party then Ross et al better find some extremely generous donors pronto.
  • Options

Attlee married a Tory…

Wes was also interviewed by Nick Robinson for his Political Thinking podcast. Very interesting. The same references to his working class Tory grandad...

Wes - striking a blow for Ilford North :)
  • Options

Totally off-topic - but tremendous fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3O8mwDFo4M

I’m wondering if Owen Paterson hadn’t been a dumbo entirely lacking in self awareness and had just quietly taken his punishment on the chin, where would the BJ party be now? Obviously there was a whole pulsating abscess waiting to be drained but could they have continued to keep it hidden under a dressing? Was Dom going to strike now anyway or did he sense their weakness and go for the kill?

Anyway, thank God for Paterson I say, not words often heard I imagine.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What do you think Jesus would have to say about Boris Johnson? I suspect he might turf him out of the temple. Offer him forgiveness and the potential of redemption, of course, but chastise him and tell him to go and sin no more, which we all know is unlikely. I am not sure he would recommend him as a leader of virtue.
    Virtues can be overrated.

And Jesus chose to surround himself with sinners like Mary Magdalene instead of "the virtuous".
  • Options
    Polruan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Other than Christianity as understood in the creeds (Bible conspicuously absent, following teachings conspicuously absent, belief front and central), or the dominant Protestant view of justification by faith alone, or the typical Anglican understanding of Christianity as belief and trust in response to the revelation of God through Jesus...
    So, for the hard of thinking, basically every form of Christianity except HYUFD's personal one.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Totally off-topic - but tremendous fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3O8mwDFo4M

I’m wondering if Owen Paterson hadn’t been a dumbo entirely lacking in self awareness and had just quietly taken his punishment on the chin, where would the BJ party be now? Obviously there was a whole pulsating abscess waiting to be drained but could they have continued to keep it hidden under a dressing? Was Dom going to strike now anyway or did he sense their weakness and go for the kill?

Anyway, thank God for Paterson I say, not words often heard I imagine.
    Hislop for PM? ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

He’s a small-minded nationalist.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And Jesus chose to surround himself with sinners like Mary Magdalene instead of "the virtuous".
    Never forget that Christ himself was ambushed by perfume.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I'm an atheist, but I was brought up in an Anglican school where we had to go to Chapel a few times a week and study Anglican Christianity.

"Forgive us father for we have sinned" not "cast out the sinners" is how the Chaplain would speak.

Jesus himself said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" not "stone the sinners".

HYUFD may be religious and I'm not, but he doesn't know the first thing about Christ.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris is a proven liar.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness" and all that!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Opposing gay marriage and opposing abortion however certainly is part of the doctrine of the Baptist, Pentecostal and Roman Catholic Churches.

If he cannot even stomach the Anglican Church, whose US and Welsh branches are already offering homosexual couples blessings, the idea he could stomach the Baptist, Pentecostal or Catholic Churches is laughable!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,608

The latest excuse:

Huge row' behind scenes over how Sue Gray report released - as minister claims 'security concerns' mean full report may not be revealed to public

The squirming at the moment, plus the frankly sinister interventions by Rees Mogg and some others, make me worry that Johnson is on a journey here. A journey towards Trump. He is going to discover that brazening it out and daring others to launch a putsch works better than trying to be contrite and ask forgiveness, and he's going to double down. That increasingly feels like where we are headed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

Attlee married a Tory…

This is crucial. Who you vote for shouldn't be the same as supporting a football team. If you need to attract voters you need to appeal to them and not categorize them as 'scum'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Opposing gay marriage and opposing abortion however certainly is part of the doctrine of the Baptist, Pentecostal and Roman Catholic Churches.

If he cannot even stomach the Anglican Church, whose US and Welsh branches are already offering homosexual couples blessings, the idea he could stomach the Baptist, Pentecostal or Catholic Churches is laughable!
    But you said the opposite. You said that these churches would not even let him get past the door.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Taz said:
    Actor who didn’t get cast in a role, trying to play the ‘protected characteristics’ card to complain in public about it?
    Top tip to Tories: if you want to ditch the Nasty Party label, stop being nasty.
    We’re getting into the fable of the scorpion and the frog territory here..
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly who is the he you are talking about.

If it's me I'm heading towards converting to Catholicism albeit towards the more liberal modern Irish view of Catholicism rather than the 18th century traditionalist approach.

My biggest problem is highlighted by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzmbNkmJfI
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Standard operating procedure for organised religion since forever.
    You do not have to get too far into the Bible before the phrase "God's chosen people" pops up. "Them and us" right there! The world divided into two factions.

It is no wonder that Judaism, Christianity and Islam turned out like they did.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I'm an atheist, but I was brought up in an Anglican school where we had to go to Chapel a few times a week and study Anglican Christianity.

"Forgive us father for we have sinned" not "cast out the sinners" is how the Chaplain would speak.

Jesus himself said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" not "stone the sinners".

HYUFD may be religious and I'm not, but he doesn't know the first thing about Christ.
    Yes but you had to repent of your sins first for Christ to welcome you, Christ welcomed reformed sinners, he did not celebrate sin
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Attlee married a Tory…

This is crucial. Who you vote for shouldn't be the same as supporting a football team. If you need to attract voters you need to appeal to them and not categorize them as 'scum'.
    Exactly the attitude that has caused me to vote for parties of the right more often than parties of the left, despite being objectively pretty centrist, perhaps even slightly left of centre.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

R4 More or Less dealing with the “only 17,371 died of COVID” bollocksmyth.

Why are people suggesting that? Are they trying to trash government statistics in general, or to advance a wider political, statistical or epidemiological point?
  • Options
    FUDHY spending the last two years systematically trying to put people off from voting Conservative has been a wonder to behold. He is now clearly attempting to do the same thing for the Church of England.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    eek said:

Heathener said:

He needs a remedial politics lesson (but JRM is right that most of the general population require one as well).

In reality our political system is very simple - we elect an MP to be our representative for 3-5 years and they decide what needs to be done.

That includes changing party allegiance and selecting a party leader who depending on the number of supporting MPs may also be Prime Minister and in charge of the country.
    The issue is the manifesto.

While it is absolutely not a legally binding list of things to be done it can be reasonably taken as a statement of an MP’s beliefs (unless s/he has set out their own statement of beliefs).

If you switch from voting for everything in a manifesto to voting against everything in a manifesto merely because you switch parties you are getting close to having been elected on false pretences
  • Options
    TimS said:

The latest excuse:

The squirming at the moment, plus the frankly sinister interventions by Rees Mogg and some others, make me worry that Johnson is on a journey here. A journey towards Trump. He is going to discover that brazening it out and daring others to launch a putsch works better than trying to be contrite and ask forgiveness, and he's going to double down. That increasingly feels like where we are headed.
    Boris' core supporters are also as fanatical for him as Trump's or Corbyn's were for them
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Barring people is also not in the culture of the Church of England. Unfortunately many parishioners hold views that make those who they dislike very unwelcome.

For the past 100 years it wasn't a problem because it resulted in people just going to a different CofE church but that's getting harder as the money runs out and parishes are forced to merge.

And that was my point about massive hypocrisy. Some genuinely wonderful people at the various churches I went to, and some of the most appalling. Ignoring a basic tenant of Christianity as HYUFD has just demonstrated whilst calling out others as an example.

All rather academic as I lapsed a few years before we moved and now I have a choice of Church of Scotland and Scottish Episcopal Church in the village, neither of which I have been to in fear of finding it like Dibley pre Geraldine...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but you had to repent of your sins first for Christ to welcome you, Christ welcomed reformed sinners, he did not celebrate sin
    Cite that in the Bible please, that he only welcomed those who had repented of their sins and would sin no more. Chapter and verse, I don't recall that.

Christ was realistic that we're all sinners, not reformed sinners.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If it's me I'm heading towards converting to Catholicism albeit towards the more liberal modern Irish view of Catholicism rather than the 18th century traditionalist approach.

My biggest problem is highlighted by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzmbNkmJfI
    You would still find most Roman Catholic priests in Ireland oppose abortion and gay marriage, as does Pope Francis still, even if he is more liberal than his predecessor Benedict
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well kind of but the people he surrounded himself with were those who through desperation had to do things which were condemned by society. Like being a Roman tax collector or a fallen woman. He didn't choose to associate with intentionally amoral sybarites like Johnson. Having said that he would welcome him back into the fold if he showed repentance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,207
    HYUFD said:

Jesus was a left of centre social democrat. He'd be comfortable with where Keir Starmer is positioning Labour.
  • Options
    TimS said:

The latest excuse:

Boris has been doing that since September 2019 - it's nothing new.

He will brazen things out until the next election when the Tory party will be destroyed as everyone who Boris has insulted / annoyed vote for the appropriate none Tory candidate.

I can literally tell you the campaign now -

On 1 level Boris partied as people died alone, couldn't be comforted (or attend) funerals, had their wedding cancelled multiple times....

On the other - Boris promised you a brighter future - he's had 4 years and you don't have it.

Heck by the time this set of inflation is complete, I suspect most people will having living standards similar to 1992 not 2019
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he is talking about me. I lapsed from CofE and now am physically removed from it. I commented solely on being put off by massive hypocrites like him who claim piety whilst demonstrating no grasp of even the basic tenants of the church. Not sure how that makes me unable to stomach other churches.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But you said the opposite. You said that these churches would not even let him get past the door.
    No, I said he would not even get past the door (after he heard what they were preaching)
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

And that was my point about massive hypocrisy. Some genuinely wonderful people at the various churches I went to, and some of the most appalling. Ignoring a basic tenant of Christianity as HYUFD has just demonstrated whilst calling out others as an example.

All rather academic as I lapsed a few years before we moved and now I have a choice of Church of Scotland and Scottish Episcopal Church in the village, neither of which I have been to in fear of finding it like Dibley pre Geraldine...
    Both are very welcoming in my experience.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,253

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cite that in the Bible please, that he only welcomed those who had repented of their sins and would sin no more. Chapter and verse, I don't recall that.

I have the impression that Christ was a lot more forgiving than the Church is.

As I understand it, he died for our sins, while the Church now expects people to do penance.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602

The latest excuse:

The PM's job security concerns ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You would still find most Roman Catholic priests in Ireland oppose abortion and gay marriage, as does Pope Francis still, even if he is more liberal than his predecessor Benedict
    My problem is never the priests - its usually a vocal incredibly bigoted minority of the congregation. Priests you can talk to and while we will disagree if the enjoy a debate I'm happy to have one

When I visit Catholic churches its incredibly rare to encounter such people, I can pick at least 3 local CofE churches where they are the majority of the rapidly declining congregation.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nevermind that, lets focus on the important questions - what crypto currency would Jesus be ramping?
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think he is talking about me. I lapsed from CofE and now am physically removed from it. I commented solely on being put off by massive hypocrites like him who claim piety whilst demonstrating no grasp of even the basic tenants of the church. Not sure how that makes me unable to stomach other churches.
    If there's an organised religion without massive hypocrites like him then I've yet to see it.
  • Options

Attlee married a Tory…

Doesn't everyone have a working class Tory grandad?
    When my working class Tory grandad first met my wife he apparently told his next door neighbour that she was "as black as the ace of spades". There wasn't much political meeting of minds between my grandparents and my parents, to put it mildly...
    He wasn't a bad man but he wasn't a happy one and had a drinking problem in retirement - he did well for himself and his family through sheer hard work and intelligence but felt blocked by his lack of education and charm and was rather bullied by my grandma, who was smarter and more articulate than him, while neither of his daughters married men he approved of.
    Interestingly my wife always got on very well with my grandparents though, and I think they grew quite fond of her, no doubt helped by our reassuringly fair-complexioned children.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nevermind that, lets focus on the important questions - what crypto currency would Jesus be ramping?
    Godcoin?
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Anglican Church is about the most liberal Church there is, apart from maybe the Unitarian Church or the Methodists.

If you cannot even stomach the Church of England no way could you stomach a more conservative Evangelical Baptist or Pentecostal Church or the more traditional doctrine Roman Catholic Church given how left liberal you are
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, I said he would not even get past the door (after he heard what they were preaching)
    How could he hear what they were preaching if he never got past the door?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Anglican Church is about the most liberal Church there is, apart from maybe the Unitarian Church or the Methodists.

If you cannot even stomach the Church of England no way could you stomach a more conservative Evangelical Baptist or Pentecostal Church or the more traditional doctrine Roman Catholic Church given how left liberal you are
    Oh it really isn't - some parts of the church may be but the remaining congregations rarely are.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus was a left of centre social democrat. He'd be comfortable with where Keir Starmer is positioning Labour.
    Economically maybe, though the parable of the talents suggested he also backed work not welfare dependency even if he wanted to help the poor.

He was a social conservative however.

The Old Testament of course makes the current Tory manifesto look moderate
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As I understand it, he died for our sins, while the Church now expects people to do penance.
    I once heard someone say that Jesus must have been real because the Church would never have invented someone like him to be their figurehead.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    TimS said:

The latest excuse:

Johnson's entire political philosophy is to be PM this time tomorrow. Everything he does and says is geared toward ensuring that. The betterment of the nation, other people, the day after tomorrow and the tory party can get fucked.

He is on to something with this notion of ignoring the Brady Epistles. What the fuck can the rebel tories do if he ignores the VoNC?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    MrEd said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    It's interesting the different strategies being employed by Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak to Partygate. Truss being the conspicuous loyalist. Rishi being conspicuous by his absence.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1486254641130074115

Both not doing themselves any favours by their stances.
    I agree. A dramatic resignation. Plenty of cricket analogies broken bats etc ending with a quote from Tony Wilson's 24 hour Party People "We've got polished bars made from ebony but we've got no toilets. FUCK!"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Church (pretty much all of them) is more Paulian/Roman than it is Christ-ian.

Christ was what we'd call a very left-wing individual nowadays, HYUFD would view him as his "enemy". But very left-wing politics doesn't suit the institutions running the country, so that's not the mantra the Church evolved to adopt.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and we had to repeat of our sins.

In not one bible passage anywhere does Christ condone sin rather than accept back reformed sinners
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Economically maybe, though the parable of the talents suggested he also backed work not welfare dependency even if he wanted to help the poor.

He was a social conservative however.

The Old Testament of course makes the current Tory manifesto look moderate
    He was no social conservative, quite the opposite. As demonstrated through the abandonment of Old Testament mores and the "let he who is without sin" story and much more.

You may be a social conservative, but your Lord and Saviour as you view him was the polar opposite.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Church (pretty much all of them) is more Paulian/Roman than it is Christ-ian.

Christ was what we'd call a very left-wing individual nowadays, HYUFD would view him as his "enemy". But very left-wing politics doesn't suit the institutions running the country, so that's not the mantra the Church evolved to adopt.
    I am an atheist but certainly a Christian atheist, in the sense that my moral philosophy undoubtedly derives from Christian teachings. I've always had a lot of time for Jesus the historical figure depicted in the Bible, I just don't believe the God stuff.
  • Options
    PB seems to have turned into the Church Debating Society this morning.

I will check back later to see if God has launched a thunderbolt at Boris Johnson. Or possibly the other way around... ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    I've always been puzzled, and was when I was a Christian, with what happened in the afterlife to those who had had no opportunity to meet with Christian teaching. Take my Thai grandchildren's other grandparents for example. AFAIK no Christian missionary has ever been near nor by their community. Certainly no sign of it!
    And they are decent, hardworking honest people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and we had to repeat of our sins.

In not one bible passage anywhere does Christ condone sin rather than accept back reformed sinners
    You can repent of your sins while still being a sinner. Repentance doesn't mean you never sin ever again for the rest of your life.

Name one passage anywhere where Christ (as opposed to Paul or the Old Testament) is "social conservative". He was the polar opposite.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

My problem is never the priests - its usually a vocal incredibly bigoted minority of the congregation. Priests you can talk to and while we will disagree if the enjoy a debate I'm happy to have one

When I visit Catholic churches its incredibly rare to encounter such people, I can pick at least 3 local CofE churches where they are the majority of the rapidly declining congregation.
    The Roman Catholic Church does not even have women priests unlike the Anglican Church and is firmly still anti gay marriage and anti abortion. The Church of England overall is more liberal than the Roman Catholic Church now
This discussion has been closed.