Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Have Tory MPs the bottle to oust Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited February 2022 in General
imageHave Tory MPs the bottle to oust Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

One thing we have learned this past week is that Johnson is not going anywhere of his own accord. For him to cease to be PB is going to require Tory MPs to act – first to have a confidence ballot and then for the MPs to decide by a simple majority that he should go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    tlg86 said:

QTWTAIN.

Damn - was going to say the same. You were first on the thread too,
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    Quiet here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    2/3 of NI Unionist voters want the DUP to crash the Stormont Executive if Article 16 is not triggered and the NI Protocol scrapped.

The vast majority of DUP and TUV voters want Donaldson to withdraw from Stormont's Executive, although most UUP voters still do not

https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1484657507914104833?s=20
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Lol @ typo Johnson is PM not PB
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    This lot couldn't find the bottle for mineral water.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Most likely Johnson will narrowly survive a VONC next week, at least until the May local elections. Polling is also clear only Sunak does any better v Starmer than Boris but still not enough to win
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    Do they have the bottle not to depose Johnson ?
    That would be ballsy, if stupid.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    IshmaelZ said:

Are we sure he isn't on PB?

• Options
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Prime Bigdog ?
    Or Bullshitter.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    HYUFD said:

Most likely Johnson will narrowly survive a VONC next week, at least until the May local elections. Polling is also clear only Sunak does any better v Starmer than Boris but still not enough to win

Doesn’t matter if Sunak is better than Boris, Boris needs to be replaced.

Not that it will happen because the average Tory MP is clueless and doesn’t understand the harm not removing Boris is doing day on day, week by week to their future prospects.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Seriously. People flew from the UK to the US just to see Adele? Muppets.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Why not?
  • Options

Why not?
    +1 - a lot of people have multiple years of holiday money saved up waiting to be spent
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:

Question is whether he can build on the polling, particularly in the face of what will be some difficult challenges and 12-14 years incumbency and a damaged reputation.

But I'm still not even persuaded about a VONC until it actually occurs.
  • Options
    Too many stories like this out of Poland.

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1484644054902190081
    .@GiertychRoman, a lawyer who has uncovered corruption in the Polish ruling party, gave his phone details to Toronto University's
    @citizenlab, which analyzed it and found Pegasus spyware.
    The next day, the government issued a warrant for Giertych's arrest. Can't be a coincidence…
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,205
    I am now green on all Johnson exit dates. Quite pleased with this bet.
  • Options

They could have stayed home, saved their money and got a big, snottery, tear stained performance for free.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Nigelb said:

.@GiertychRoman, a lawyer who has uncovered corruption in the Polish ruling party, gave his phone details to Toronto University's
    The next day, the government issued a warrant for Giertych's arrest. Can't be a coincidence…

Isn't there a rule that manypolitical parties end up embodying the opposite of their name? Conservatives actink radicals, Labour abandoned by the working classes (coming back perhaps), Law and Justice...?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,639
    So Germany after all signalled that it would not let UK military planes use German air space. That and Biden's small invasion, even after its retraction, are messages that will encourage Putin. -

https://twitter.com/eurobriefing/status/1484437442581176320?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Isn't there a rule that manypolitical parties end up embodying the opposite of their name? Conservatives actink radicals, Labour abandoned by the working classes (coming back perhaps), Law and Justice...?
    Only one true Democrats in the USA though.
    Could be argued they've evolved into their name?
  • Options
    FPT: @NickPalmer thanks - that makes a lot more sense! TBH I think the conversion was a wee bit confusing so should you mention it again it's probs better to spell it out a bit more detailed for those of us with dino brains ;)

The 90k as an MP also surprises me actually, I thought it was lower (albeit not by much) even now or is that because of committe membership etc?

I do feel quite dirty asking you about salary but my sense from your postings over the years is you won't mind...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This lot couldn't find the bottle for mineral water.

My view is they have about enough bottle to fill a rucksack, but not enough for even a carry-on.
  • Options

FPT: @NickPalmer thanks - that makes a lot more sense! TBH I think the conversion was a wee bit confusing so should you mention it again it's probs better to spell it out a bit more detailed for those of us with dino brains ;)

The 90k as an MP also surprises me actually, I thought it was lower (albeit not by much) even now or is that because of committe membership etc?

I do feel quite dirty asking you about salary but my sense from your postings over the years is you won't mind...

Sure, it's all ancient history now anyway. The 90K was my salary when I left Ciba-Geigy (by then Novartis). When I applied for selection as a candidate, the MP salary was quite low - £37K or something? I felt a bit queasy about that, but I wanted to do it so... anyway, fortunately for me the outgoing Tories decided to award themselves a huge pay rise to make up for years of freeze (they could see what was coming and the rise will have given them a correspondingly better final salary pension), so by the time I got in the salary was up to £48K or something like that. By the time I was kicked out I think it had reached £60K.

We've debated how competitive MP salaries are, and it obviously depends what you were doing before. Coming from a high-wage country the difference was pretty extreme. But politics is a bug, as most MPs of all parties will confirm - if you catch it, you don't really care much about salary, because a fascinating job where you hope to do some good is simply more fun than buying a big house or whatever.

Thank you @NickPalmer - I had misunderstood the 90K's significance - makes sense now.Your candour is especially appreciated!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,584
    edited January 2022
    Difficult to see what the upside is for a potential new leader and their supporters to depose Johnson before the May elections.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Difficult to see what the upside is for a potential new leader and their supporters to depose Johnson before the May elections.

The upside is it gets rid of Boris and gets the new leader in place. The paradox is that if the wannabe new leader waits for the party's ratings to rebound, then that upswing will help cement the old leader in place.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    edited January 2022
    No two ways about it - Tory MPs are strange creatures.

Currently Johnson is trashing the brand at a rate of knots. He doesn't seem to stand for anything very much, and most of his likely replacements are if anything more likely to occupy the ideological space that appeals to the average Tory MP. I don't think he's much liked by most of his MPs, who he mostly seems to treat like dirt.

Dispatching him occurs via secret letters and a secret ballot, so the risks of revenge if he survives are small.

What possible incentive is there for Tory MPs not to write to Graham Brady? And yet it seems that they won't.

They also seem to be touting some odd alternatives - quite a few of whom are very much yesterday's men.

If I was a Tory MP I'd try and get Steve Baker in as Boris's replacement. He's presentable (good hair goes a long way on TV). He's against lockdown, right at the moment when if can definitely be rolled back, and the country has had enough anyway. He's not even tainted by the whole boozy party saga, whilst there are quite possibly skeletons in some of the front-runners closets waiting to appear (realistically Dom has probably got at least some dirt on all the current cabinet).
    He's sound on Brexit, and low taxation. And last but certainly not least, he actually appears to be truthful.
    In a lot of ways, he's pretty much an anti-Boris, and surely that's exactly what the party needs right now.
  • Options
    Trump White House records are now in the hands of Jan 6 committee
    The nine-member panel is now in possession of ‘all the records’ which former president Donald Trump sued to block the committee from obtaining

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-capitol-riot-committee-records-b1998102.html
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited January 2022
    Andy_JS said:

I think losses are baked in by this point if Johnson stays. Whether there's the time to bed in a new leader to get some sort of polling recovery prior to the May elections is the big question in my view.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Have Tory MPs the bottle to keep Johnson?
  • Options
    The 2019 Conservative intake seem to be snowflakes if they don't like a bit of whipping. What did they expect when they don't toe the party line? They are learning politics the hard way.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What will the EU do about this Polish cuckoo in their nest? Particularly as poland seems to want to support Ukraine whilst Germany seems to want to support Russia by trying to block arems from the UK and Estonia going to the Ukraine. See https://www.reuters.com/article/germany-ukraine-arms-idUSL1N2U123W
  • Options
    Smashing it.

BREAKING: U.S. reports 3,707 new coronavirus deaths, highest since February 2021
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited January 2022

Smashing it.

BREAKING: U.S. reports 3,707 new coronavirus deaths, highest since February 2021

The US is screwed and both sides of the Covid debate there have a lot to answer for.

On one side you have people like my own anti vax father and his wife. He lives in a southern state, is a Republican along with his wife, and although we talk regularly it's not mentioned as ultimately it's his own decision and I can't be bothered with the debate. It's just annoying that it's also people like himself who are prolonging the pandemic there.

On the other side, you have a sizeable minority of the Democrat leaning public who can only be described as subscribing to an iSAGE on steroids Covid assessment, as demonstrated in this rather ridiculous article I read today.

The author seems to react to Covid as if it's just as deadly as 2020 and has resorted to imprisoning her kids indefinitely under the premise of keeping them safe despite being double jabbed, while completely ignoring that their social skills and development are bound to suffer.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/01/covid-parenting-challenges-stress/621322/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271

It would be great to see how that puppetry works, up close.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Andy_JS said:

The upside is it gets rid of Boris and gets the new leader in place. The paradox is that if the wannabe new leader waits for the party's ratings to rebound, then that upswing will help cement the old leader in place.
    Andy - our decrepiter friend is right, May’s locals is chaff put out by spinners, meaningless in the scheme of things, mid term locals two years from proper election, the media interest afterwards will only last till the next sparrowfart

The main prize is taking control of the party’s policy and direction, blaming off iffy mid term locals on previous incumbent doesn’t register against the real prize.

And they were right to try. Boris is a lazy sod with no attention or grasp on detail, his inane broad brush economic ideas are arguably not even what made Conservatives great in the first place.

But they have failed. The coup smashed into a brick wall of just how popular Boris still is on the back benches, amongst his own cabinet, throughout the Tory press.

• Options

Smashing it.

Update...

UPDATE: U.S. reports 3,896 new coronavirus deaths, highest since January 2021
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

*Betting Post because it’s *Horse Racing 🐎 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Posting a bit early, before morning check going stick and non runners, I might sleep in if I get comfortable. I have fallen off horses so many times my back and hip not happy from time to time.

All three PB Racing Shrewdies tipped a winner last week, yours truly 2/4

I appreciate not every gambler loves sharing and sharing publicly. I suspect though some reading PB may be betting on horse racing regular particularly the Saturday coverage, I will be placing at least Lucky 15 today and means a degree of “due diligence” on my choices - I’m a open and honest girl I don’t mind sharing what led to my decision even if it likely a illegal mix of chemicals 😵‍💫

It’s my chance of contributing something back to the site actually 🙂 as I know nothing about anti tank drones, Epidemiology, chimpanzee testicles, or how 200 conservative PMs can collectively lose their spines at the same time.

My Lucky 15 today and my reasons

ASCOT - 13:45 - Stellar Magic (NAP)
    Secret weapon on my betting slip. Just the 4 races under rules in career so far, 2 wins at this distance.

HAYDOCK - 14:00 - Hunters Call
    Has form, but not like the favourite of this race, I’m betting against Tommys Oscar managing 4 in a row. I do such things sometimes. Maybe today it will work.

ASCOT - 14:55 - Amour De Nuit (LONG SHOT)
    Based on form in last race, and previous history for being there or thereabouts.

ASCOT - 15:35 - Amoola Gold (THE GIRLS LOST IT)
    Alcohol, Tranquillisers, pickled eggs, a bad back and bad night means I am overlooking its priced at 100-1? With a bit of looking into its history and there is no way it should be priced at that in this small field.

Good luck 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,584
    edited January 2022

Smashing it.

Update...

There are so many people in the United States in poor health, particularly with obesity and diabetes, that there's going to be a high death rate, even with a less serious virus.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    If I was a Tory MP concerned only about job preservation I'd keep Boris until 2023.

The damage he's doing to the Tory brand is mostly already done, and a lot of what's left is about him personally. He definitely has some political skill so he might recover. And if you wait until 2023 the new guy can plausibly do a snap election off the bounce, or not as they prefer.

Just give it a year and keep your options open, there's not much downside.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    First N Ireland poll of 2022:

Disaster for DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson as Sinn Fein extends lead to eight points
    DUP chief the least popular leader in NI by a considerable margin

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson faces a major challenge to be First Minister as DUP support has fallen again with Sinn Fein opening up an 8% lead over its rival.

With her party on 25%, Michelle O’Neill is on course to secure Stormont’s top job after May’s Assembly election, according to a LucidTalk opinion poll for the Belfast Telegraph.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/disaster-for-dup-leader-jeffrey-donaldson-as-sinn-fein-extends-lead-to-eight-points-41266170.html

(£)
  • Options
    SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

(LucidTalk/Belfast Telegraph; changes from November)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

If I was a Tory MP concerned only about job preservation I'd keep Boris until 2023.

The damage he's doing to the Tory brand is mostly already done, and a lot of what's left is about him personally. He definitely has some political skill so he might recover. And if you wait until 2023 the new guy can plausibly do a snap election off the bounce, or not as they prefer.

I think the problem is that a lot of Conservative MPs (particularly new ones) have been used to near constant poll leads.

The current situation is frightening for them. And is about to become a lot more frightening, as their local councils are about to lose their Blue hue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    edited January 2022

SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13

Stuart, Stuart, Stuart: have you read nothing that @HYUFD has written?

The only thing that matters are the views of Unionists.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Remarkable lack of guts. The pathetic excuse of waiting for the report is no better. You need a report to tell you the PM needs to be axed? That's as dumb as the PM claiming he thought the party was a 'work event'.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

Andy_JS said:

And they were right to try.

But they have failed. The coup smashed into a brick wall of just how popular Boris still is on the back benches,

Did I wake up in another time zone?

You have decided that it has already failed on the basis that Boris is so popular 'still' on the back benches? Then I'm afraid you have no knowledge of the Conservative Party in parliament. He has never been popular on the back benches and he's deeply unpopular among them right now. Throwing Owen Paterson under the bus was the final straw for those few left who were still loyal.

Most tory MPs know it's only a matter of time until Johnson is ousted.
  • Options
    Downing Street staff ‘partied until 1am in seven-hour drinking session on eve of Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral’

• Options
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

And they were right to try.

But they have failed. The coup smashed into a brick wall of just how popular Boris still is on the back benches,

Did I wake up in another time zone?

You have decided that it has already failed on the basis that Boris is so popular 'still' on the back benches? Then I'm afraid you have no knowledge of the Conservative Party in parliament. He has never been popular on the back benches and he's deeply unpopular among them right now. Throwing Owen Paterson under the bus was the final straw for those few left who were still loyal.

While I would tend to doubt that Johnson is popular on the backbenches, how can you claim with such confidence that you ‘know’ it and @MoonRabbit ’knows nothing about the [Tories]?’

Are you one yourself? Or married to one? Or a member of Brady’s staff?

If not I would advise you to consider the far more sensible comment of @pigeon above: ‘We can't know exactly what's going on with vacillating Conservative backbenchers.’

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    rcs1000 said:

SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13

It's obviously incorrect that only the views of Unionists matter, but in the Northern Irish context they still matter enormously - regardless of which party happens to be the single largest in the Assembly.

If the implication of a result anything like the one suggested by this survey is meant to be that a border poll is coming then that's obviously wrong. A Sinn Fein First Minister would be a symbolic event that would generate a lot of fevered chatter for about two days, but in the Northern Irish context of mandatory coalitions, where the DUP Deputy would continue to be an equal figure in all but name, that's as far as it goes.

One thing that Northern Ireland and Scotland have in common is that their respective electorates are hopelessly split both on the constitutional issue and whether or not they want to endure a "national conversation" about the topic. Unless or until that changes, neither is going anywhere.

Of course, one can plausibly argue that this state of affairs is temporary, and that the Union is progressively unravelling and is therefore doomed in the long term, but politicians are always too busy shoring up their positions within the current electoral cycle to think about what could happen in ten, twenty or fifty years' time (which might well end up being someone else's problem anyway.) For now, the Union is safe. The Unionists will take that.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Downing Street staff ‘partied until 1am in seven-hour drinking session on eve of Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral’

In a way I’m actually conflicted about this.

I mean, that’s a clear cut breach of the law which even your average 50IQ Civil Servant must have realised, and it’s disgusting they will get away with it due to what I can only assume is corruption within the Met. And I hope everybody who was fined for lockdown parties now appeals and sues the hell out of the government for malicious prosecution until we have jammed the entire rotten justice system solid.

But at the same time, given what a terrible mess they made of things I am wishing they had spent a great deal more time drinking so they weren’t making pointless decisions and stupid mistakes.

If the DfE’s had been permanently pissed, instead of having just one illegal party, we wouldn’t have had three contradictory sets of instructions before 9am every day or threats of illegal lawsuits, and my life would have been much easier.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114

Smashing it.

Update...

The "of Covid" v "with Covid" stats are going to be very different when you have an Omicron wave ripping through a population with mostly cold-like/no symptoms. For example, for every 3 who died of cancer in the US in 2020, 1 died through accident or unintentional injury. You could currently have up to 1 in 20 of all road deaths being "with Covid".

You also need to be aware that in the US, those without insurance will have their care paid for by the Federal government where they have Covid. There is a real incentive to present at hospital with Covid - and for hospitals to look for Covid.
  • Options
    Something I really admire is the way Mike has moved position on Johnson's exit date. As we know, for a long time Mike was not convinced (with good reason) but as the situation has moved on, to the surprise of many of us, so has he.

I think he's right to say it's about 70/30 that Johnson will be ousted this year. My hunch is that he will go because he has lost support from every wing of the party in parliament. The only base he now has is the whips office and the cabinet, some of whom are being duplicitous. For that reason I think Johnson will be out in the month but it's by no means certain.

And, unlike Edmund in Toyko, I think the longer Johnson stays the more toxic he makes the tory party. There is no imaginary finitude to toxicity.

What Johnson may be doing is ensuring that the Conservative Party are not out of power for one term but for a generation.
  • Options
    Ms. Heathener, how toxic is Labour from Corbyn's time as leader?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

rcs1000 said:

SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13

It's obviously incorrect that only the views of Unionists matter, but in the Northern Irish context they still matter enormously - regardless of which party happens to be the single largest in the Assembly.

If the implication of a result anything like the one suggested by this survey is meant to be that a border poll is coming then that's obviously wrong. A Sinn Fein First Minister would be a symbolic event that would generate a lot of fevered chatter for about two days, but in the Northern Irish context of mandatory coalitions, where the DUP Deputy would continue to be an equal figure in all but name, that's as far as it goes.

One thing that Northern Ireland and Scotland have in common is that their respective electorates are hopelessly split both on the constitutional issue and whether or not they want to endure a "national conversation" about the topic. Unless or until that changes, neither is going anywhere.

Of course, one can plausibly argue that this state of affairs is temporary, and that the Union is progressively unravelling and is therefore doomed in the long term, but politicians are always too busy shoring up their positions within the current electoral cycle to think about what could happen in ten, twenty or fifty years' time (which might well end up being someone else's problem anyway.) For now, the Union is safe. The Unionists will take that.
    Complacency, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of Unionist complacency in the morning.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,892
    I wonder if Johnson ends up remaining in office, but not in power, wheeled out only to rally the troops in election campaigns?

Which of course, brings the question of who ends up in power? Will Sunak and Gove be the men actually running the country, or can No.10 somehow manage to hire a decent team to run things without interference?
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, a foolish notion if that's what they opt for due to craven unwillingness to swing the axe.

Henry IV (altogether better than Johnson, of course), was effectively removed from power due to illness and his son (the future Henry V, no less) ran things. Yet the crown was his and Henry IV managed to return to actual power.

When Richard II had conditions imposed due to a strong rebellion (on part due to the aforementioned king) he also returned to governing entirely on his own account.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Heathener said:

Something I really admire is the way Mike has moved position on Johnson's exit date. As we know, for a long time Mike was not convinced (with good reason) but as the situation has moved on, to the surprise of many of us, so has he.

I think he's right to say it's about 70/30 that Johnson will be ousted this year. My hunch is that he will go because he has lost support from every wing of the party in parliament. The only base he now has is the whips office and the cabinet, some of whom are being duplicitous. For that reason I think Johnson will be out in the month but it's by no means certain.

And, unlike Edmund in Toyko, I think the longer Johnson stays the more toxic he makes the tory party. There is no imaginary finitude to toxicity.

What Johnson may be doing is ensuring that the Conservative Party are not out of power for one term but for a generation.

Yes I completely agree with this. Edmund might be right that any tarnishing to the Tory brand of Partygate is now priced in. But what is not is how far Johnson and his lackeys are prepared to debase themselves and their party in the grubby pursuit of power for its own sake.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, a foolish notion if that's what they opt for due to craven unwillingness to swing the axe.

Henry IV (altogether better than Johnson, of course), was effectively removed from power due to illness and his son (the future Henry V, no less) ran things. Yet the crown was his and Henry IV managed to return to actual power.

When Richard II had conditions imposed due to a strong rebellion (on part due to the aforementioned king) he also returned to governing entirely on his own account.

Even Henry VI regained power after First St Albans despite the fact that by 1456 he was as mad as a box of frogs.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, and he wasn't exactly great when he was sane.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I mean, that’s a clear cut breach of the law which even your average 50IQ Civil Servant must have realised, and it’s disgusting they will get away with it due to what I can only assume is corruption within the Met. And I hope everybody who was fined for lockdown parties now appeals and sues the hell out of the government for malicious prosecution until we have jammed the entire rotten justice system solid.

But at the same time, given what a terrible mess they made of things I am wishing they had spent a great deal more time drinking so they weren’t making pointless decisions and stupid mistakes.

If the DfE’s had been permanently pissed, instead of having just one illegal party, we wouldn’t have had three contradictory sets of instructions before 9am every day or threats of illegal lawsuits, and my life would have been much easier.
    Alcohol abuse causes many problems for individuals, families, organisations and society. It is unlikely that the solution would involve drinking even more alcohol.

It is not the partying that is the problem.
    Nor is it disrespecting the monarchy.
    It is partying and disrespecting the monarchy while the electorate do the opposite.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Alcohol abuse causes many problems for individuals, families, organisations and society. It is unlikely that the solution would involve drinking even more alcohol.

It is not the partying that is the problem.
    Nor is it disrespecting the monarchy.
    It is partying and disrespecting the monarchy while the electorate do the opposite.
    Well, actually I would have said the problem is breaking the law while being totally incompetent and making everyone else’s lives miserable through aforesaid incompetence.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    ydoethur said:

Personally, I was never particularly bothered about the Covid rules. They never affected me in any significant way because, like Johnson and co, I had a vague 'work' exemption. I have also been made well off by the pandemic due to various quirks of the property market. I can now work a day job where I never need to go in to the office and can listen to music all day on spotify instead, none of that was possible before the pandemic.

But I still strongly believe that the whole system of controls was wrong, and the conduct of those in power, as now revealed, proves this beyond all reasonable doubt. This was a power grab with consequences simultaneously devastating and pointless - most significantly in schools, which have to deal with dictatorial rules which appear to serve no purpose at all other than serving the whims of drunken clowns.

The people should rise up against the government, but they won't because of the age old problem that it is too much trouble and they can't be bothered. Life goes on. But the lesson is that you need journalists and a free press, however annoying they are, they can at least reveal abuses of power.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, and he wasn't exactly great when he was sane.

You could say that about most medieval kings though. It wasn’t a job that attracted the best and brightest. Only those who emerged from the right vagina in the right order with a penis.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    Good morning one and all.

Thought which strikes me; how many Conservative MP's have only been MP's since 2017? In other words, have only experienced the febrile and confused atmosphere we see today.
    And how does that compare with Labour.

I know the answer from some will (reasonably) be DYOR but just because I'm a very OAP doesn't mean that life isn't busy.
  • Options
    darkage said:

ydoethur said:

Personally, I was never particularly bothered about the Covid rules. They never affected me in any significant way because, like Johnson and co, I had a vague 'work' exemption. I have also been made well off by the pandemic due to various quirks of the property market. I can now work a day job where I never need to go in to the office and can listen to music all day on spotify instead, none of that was possible before the pandemic.

But I still strongly believe that the whole system of controls was wrong, and the conduct of those in power, as now revealed, proves this beyond all reasonable doubt. This was a power grab with consequences simultaneously devastating and pointless - most significantly in schools, which have to deal with dictatorial rules which appear to serve no purpose at all other than serving the whims of drunken clowns.

The people should rise up against the government, but they won't because of the age old problem that it is too much trouble and they can't be bothered. Life goes on. But the lesson is that you need journalists and a free press, however annoying they are, they can at least reveal abuses of power.
    I must take issue with this comment. What have you got against drunken clowns that you compare them to civil servants at the DfE? At least clowns can be funny.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, to be fair, Richard II's upbringing didn't help, nor his father's untimely death (who, if nothing else, was a very capable warrior). Henry IV was a better king, as was Henry V, of course.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Thought which strikes me; how many Conservative MP's have only been MP's since 2017? In other words, have only experienced the febrile and confused atmosphere we see today.

I know the answer from some will (reasonably) be DYOR but just because I'm a very OAP doesn't mean that life isn't busy.

109 first time MPs in 2019.
  • Options
    BBC News about to be served an injunction by the government, over a story which will name a British spy overseas.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/01/21/exclusive-government-seeks-gag-bbc-spy-story/
    BBC say that naming the spy is in the public interest, presumably in relation to another international story.

I guess this is either an assault on the free press, or an issue with significant national security implications, depending on what’s the actual story here. Best not speculate!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I had a quick squizz here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_MPs_by_seniority_(2019–present)

Looks like about 150 Tory MP started 2017 on.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

If my counting is correct, it’s a 127 since Theresa May’s election, not counting those who were previously MPs and then re-elected.

That’s an extraordinary high turnover.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271

With Paterson, Peppa Pig and Parties in just the last few months, and with no-one who is any good likely to want the clutch of vacancies soon to appear at number ten, what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Posting a bit early, before morning check going stick and non runners, I might sleep in if I get comfortable. I have fallen off horses so many times my back and hip not happy from time to time.

I appreciate not every gambler loves sharing and sharing publicly. I suspect though some reading PB may be betting on horse racing regular particularly the Saturday coverage, I will be placing at least Lucky 15 today and means a degree of “due diligence” on my choices - I’m a open and honest girl I don’t mind sharing what led to my decision even if it likely a illegal mix of chemicals 😵‍💫

It’s my chance of contributing something back to the site actually 🙂 as I know nothing about anti tank drones, Epidemiology, chimpanzee testicles, or how 200 conservative PMs can collectively lose their spines at the same time.

Secret weapon on my betting slip. Just the 4 races under rules in career so far, 2 wins at this distance.

Has form, but not like the favourite of this race, I’m betting against Tommys Oscar managing 4 in a row. I do such things sometimes. Maybe today it will work.

Based on form in last race, and previous history for being there or thereabouts.

Alcohol, Tranquillisers, pickled eggs, a bad back and bad night means I am overlooking its priced at 100-1? With a bit of looking into its history and there is no way it should be priced at that in this small field.

Good luck 🙋‍♀️

Good luck. Amour de Nuit is a non-runner btw. Hunters Call is 12 and Amoola Gold is, well, good luck.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105

I would say that Corbyn is still pulling down Labour's support, and they'd be maybe 15-20pp ahead now if people weren't still distrustful of them. That is not based on any kind of rigorous analysis I should add. But I think Johnson's impact on the Tories will last longer because he is in power and so his actions are much more consequential. I do think his party will force him out this year, I can't believe they have lost their fabled instinct for self preservation completely. I think Javid and Mordaunt are underrated as his successor.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Just over a third of them. 109 new Tory MPs at the last election (as they have an informal club by that name), and 29 in 2017
    https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2017/10/mays-men-and-women-the-conservative-commons-intake-of-2017.html
    A few would have dropped off, mostly in Scotland.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Heathener said:

I reckon some of them are concerned about what happens to Brexit if he goes.

If he's branded a lying, useless piece of shit by tory MPs then some of the lumpen are going to think... hang on, this is the bloke that talked us into Brexit...

Particularly as it hasn't really delivered anything beyond roaming charges, traffic jams and expensive eBay purchases.

None of the potential replacements are really on message when in comes to Brexit. Love Laugh Liz was a remainer and Rishi is more interested in Hood By Air jeans and not being photographed next to anyone taller than 5'4".
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    moonshine said:

So around 30% of Tory MP's have no experience of life in Parliament other than with Johnson as Leader.
    So this situation is, to them, 'normal'.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,374
    Morning all.

I see the Stuart Dickinson is using Northern Ireland to challenge The Tankie on lack of knowledge of one of the constituent parts of the UK. I suggest that Mr Dickinson takes his Swedish S tank on a ferry (or something) to NI for a visit to learn about the place.

On topic : It has barely started yet. Due to the 24/7 media cycle, it seems like this has been running for years. A lot of MPs are using the "Wait for the Gray Report" to not appear to be running to the media cycle, but the facts, from what I hear...

COVID - Thanks to the stupidity of large numbers of Americans on not getting vaccinated we have new...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/01/unvaccinated-5x-more-likely-to-get-omicron-than-those-boosted-cdc-reports/

- Vaccines (and especially boosters) do have an effect on infections rates. A substantial one. So the argument that vaccination does nothin for infection rates turns out to be garbage.
    - Massive effects on showing up at A&E
    - Massive effects on hospitalisation

Please light a candle for all the fucking morons who died to give us this data.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,374
    ydoethur said:

Even Henry VI regained power after First St Albans despite the fact that by 1456 he was as mad as a box of frogs.
    "he was as mad as a box of frogs." - You mean he started the DfE?

Or was it just the usual mundane walking around with his underpants on his head, pencils up his now, saying "wibble"?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

"he was as mad as a box of frogs." - You mean he started the DfE?

Or was it just the usual mundane walking around with his underpants on his head, pencils up his now, saying "wibble"?
    Well, ironically he did found numerous schools and colleges, including Eton and King’s College Cambridge. They were in the charge of a government of lunatics then, and nothing’s changed.

But actually he was also of the more mundane sort. After the battle of Northampton he was found sitting under a tree singing songs about butterflies having not noticed there was a battle going on around him in which his cousin and last remaining supporter had been killed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13

While the compulsory coalition that is mandated by the Good Friday Agreement will be quite restricting, the symbolism of SF having the First Minister will be huge.

I think at that point the DUp would collapse the executive on the basis of A16 and the NI protocol. That won't be fixable to their satisfaction though because the issue is really the loss of Unionist dominance.

I don't see how a border poll can be put off much longer.
  • Options
    Freedman tickling my prejudices nicely in the Guradian:

We need have no illusions about the Conservative party of old. We know its record. We know that Margaret Thatcher had her own kind of revolutionary zeal, just as we know the destructive impact of David Cameron’s austerity. But there were lines it dared not cross, monarchy and the union among them. This is a different animal. Brexit transformed it from a conservative party into a national-populist party. Its instincts now are those of Viktor Orbán, funnelling public money and jobs to ideological allies, ready to burn down even the most valued institutions that stand in its way. Of course, it has contempt for the people, as all populists ultimately do. It even had contempt for the Queen on the night of her greatest grief. So let’s not pretend these faults were Johnson’s alone. Brexit is the virus. Boris Johnson was only ever its most visible carrier.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/21/partygate-conservatism-corrupted-boris-johnson-brexit-monarchy-union-bbc

• Options

Good luck 🙋‍♀️

Good luck. Amour de Nuit is a non-runner btw. Hunters Call is 12 and Amoola Gold is, well, good luck.
    My own tentative itv yankee is as follows but is subject to change:-
    Ascot 1.45 Fils d'Oudaries so against you there
    Ascot 2.20 Anything for Love
    Haydock 2.35 Empire Steel
    Ascot 2.55 Knight in Dubai
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

BBC News about to be served an injunction by the government, over a story which will name a British spy overseas.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/01/21/exclusive-government-seeks-gag-bbc-spy-story/
    BBC say that naming the spy is in the public interest, presumably in relation to another international story.

I guess this is either an assault on the free press, or an issue with significant national security implications, depending on what’s the actual story here. Best not speculate!

I expect they were irritated about Priti Patel's hypocrisy over exposing the Chinese spy at an opportune moment for Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The government has noisily sought an injunction against the BBC. Cynics would say this is part of Operation Save Big Dog. Bash the Beeb. If stopping the story were the main concern, it could quietly issue a D-notice.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

SF 25% (+1)
    DUP 17% (-1)
    All 14% (nc)
    UUP 14% (nc)
    TUV 12% (+1)
    SDLP 11% (-1)

Approx seat projection:

Unionists:
    DUP 19
    UUP 13
    TUV 11
    Total 43

Pro-reunification:
    SF 23
    SDLP 11
    Total 34

Neutral:
    Alliance 13

While the compulsory coalition that is mandated by the Good Friday Agreement will be quite restricting, the symbolism of SF having the First Minister will be huge.

I think at that point the DUp would collapse the executive on the basis of A16 and the NI protocol. That won't be fixable to their satisfaction though because the issue is really the loss of Unionist dominance.

I don't see how a border poll can be put off much longer.
    As you say, collapsing the executive after an election would probably be the quickest way to trigger a border poll - so it's probably worth pointing out prior to them doing it that it wouldn't be a good idea.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

If my counting is correct, it’s a 127 since Theresa May’s election, not counting those who were previously MPs and then re-elected.

That’s an extraordinary high turnover.
    All they have known is chaotic government and plotting and manoeuvres about the next leadership contest. No real strategy or ideology apart from the dead end of Brexit.

They know what they don't want but don't have a clue what to do next. So the ship of fools sails on with no one on the rudder and the crew mutinous. Just as well it is fair weather and no rocks...

• Options
    edited January 2022

Still quite toxic as OnlyLivingBoy suggests.

However the HUGE difference is that Corbyn was only ever leader of the opposition not Prime Minister. Thankfully he never held the reins of power, never had a chance to inflict his brand of misery on the country, never therefore injected his poison into the veins of the British people. He was nothing more than the bogeyman: the monster in the woods. His toxic brand was 'out there' and has passed like a will o'the wisp.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Heathener said:

However the HUGE difference is that Corbyn was only ever leader of the opposition not Prime Minister. Thankfully he never held the reins of power, never had a chance to inflict his brand of misery on the country, never therefore injected his poison into the veins of the British people. He was nothing more than the bogeyman: the monster in the woods. His toxic brand was 'out there' and has passed like a will o'the wisp.
    Corbyn was a key enabler of Brexit. Like the Lib Dems, who unlocked Pandora’s box.
  • Options
    And of course the more Keir Starmer winds-up the Corbynistas the better it looks for his electability with mainstream Britain.

To witness the venom and fury of the loony left over the defection was a thing of immense wonder and joy.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,906
    This is a phenomenal column by @RoryStewartUK. Just the introduction is incendiary. https://on.ft.com/3InoSvd https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1484799830283149314/photo/1
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

Corbyn was a key enabler of Brexit. Like the Lib Dems, who unlocked Pandora’s box.
    Nick Clegg was the funniest, in favour of a referendum on EU membership until the day there was a chance of one actually happening.

Not that he cares now, sitting in California counting the millions he’s being paid by a company that’s turned civil society upside down.
This discussion has been closed.