Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson trails Sunak by a staggering18% as “Better PM” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

Foxy said:

TimT said:

If this doesn't confirm Prince Andrew is a wrong 'un then I don't know what will?

As recently as 2015, Prince Andrew's ringtone was Clocks by Coldplay.

Only way it could have been worse is if it was a Radiohead track?

Don't know. Creep would seem quite apposite.
    Indeed.

My daughter objects to my ringtone - Unforgiven by Apocalyptica.
    Mine is that classic Blue Oyster Cult: Don't Fear the Reaper.
    Oh God, I've got that guitar riff bouncing around my head now. It's gonna be there for days. Thanks @Foxy!
    The medical students and junior doctors are too young to get the joke, but the intro is good as a ring tone as it starts slowly and builds, rather than starts full on.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Ratters said:

Fundamentally, does Boris have any programme for government left now that Brexit has been 'done' and they've run out of money?

Other than pointless (free) culture war gestures, he has nothing left.

I thought the main government programme now is Saving Boris
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Rishi Sunak considers direct payment to poorest to ease cost of living crisis

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1484235987781828610?s=20

How about £20 a week on UC?
    Radical I know.
    Needs to be £21 a week by now, surely the poorest in society should get the same triple lock that we offer the richest cohort?
    Once again those on other benefits e.g. disability or ESA or Carers are forgotten and ignored. Perhaps because they don't register with news editors?

:angry:
    ESA is part of Universal Credit.
    Not so.

New-style ESA is a contribution-based benefit, not means tested and usually payable for only one year. Completely separate from UC (albeit a parallel UC claim will take any ESA in payment into account, and will be accordingly reduced).
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Ratters said:

Fundamentally, does Boris have any programme for government left now that Brexit has been 'done' and they've run out of money?

Other than pointless (free) culture war gestures, he has nothing left.

I thought the main government programme now is Saving Boris
    He will always have Brexit. The project with no end in sight...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

rcs1000 said:

Jim Pickard
    @PickardJE
    ·
    5h
    big news in the energy world,
    @KwasiKwarteng
    has just rejected the Aquind £1.2bn undersea cable from Portsmouth to France

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1484170628995301383

That's a bit weird. I'm of the view that the more potential sources of energy you have, the better.
    Yes, I thought it was a bit strange too.

I had a brief look at the decision letter - https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/south-east/aquind-interconnector/ - and the crux of the matter seems to be that an alternative route, connecting to a different substation on the English side, is thought to be less disruptive, and therefore preferable. Not sure what the detailed differences are between the two, but if there is a different route that is markedly better than the other then I can see the sense in refusing this application to encourage one for the other route.
    Yes, it’s reasonably likely that approving a particular development in a given area dooms another one, so ‘the more the better’ might not apply here.
    The massive local opposition, and the somewhat dodgy penumbra around the deal wouldn’t have helped.

In the longer run, switcheable pan European connections, rather than just country to country, are of far greater importance to reliable energy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,863

Foxy said:

TimT said:

If this doesn't confirm Prince Andrew is a wrong 'un then I don't know what will?

Indeed.

I had Black Dog for a while.
    Not so good in the Countryside

Sheep running away i bet

I hear Nigel Farage is a huge Procol Harum fan
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Jim Pickard
    @PickardJE
    ·
    5h
    @KwasiKwarteng

That's a bit weird. I'm of the view that the more potential sources of energy you have, the better.
    Yes, I thought it was a bit strange too.

I had a brief look at the decision letter - https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/south-east/aquind-interconnector/ - and the crux of the matter seems to be that an alternative route, connecting to a different substation on the English side, is thought to be less disruptive, and therefore preferable. Not sure what the detailed differences are between the two, but if there is a different route that is markedly better than the other then I can see the sense in refusing this application to encourage one for the other route.
    The Russian connection might also be an issue in the current environment.
    If the connections for a cable between Britain and France are in Russia, they've advanced a lot further and faster than I thought.
    I believe the people behind the project are Russians. In the current environment that might raise flags.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

😕.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive: Nadhim Zahawi has intervened to stop overcautious local health bosses reinstating masks in classrooms

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/17385033/plan-to-stop-kids-being-back-into-masks?utm_source=sharebar_app&utm_medium=sharebar_app&utm_campaign=sharebar_app_article

It’s an interesting story, although in the Sun so one should treat with caution.

I mentioned earlier that the headmaster of my son’s school wrote to all parents today saying the masks would be retained due to local authority guidance. I heard from other PBers who had the opposite experience - the masks had been dropped immediately at their children’s schools. It seems a bit crackers that it varies so widely.

In any case, my son came home tonight (unaware of the email to parents) and revealed he’d been told off because when his teacher asked him to put his mask on, he’d said: “I saw on the news this morning that we don’t need them now, Miss.”

Nothing major at all but a straw in the wind. Presumably Zahawi wants to avoid further such friction.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

After a couple of frenetic days, it seems quieter tonight. Has the Prime Minister ridden out the storm of criticism or are we all awaiting the Gray report with breath most bated?

I find it highly amusing that people think that Boris will give a f**k what is in the Gray report.

This is a man who had parties whilst the monarch was socially isolating at her husband's funeral.

After that, do you think he gives a toss about some report?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

Oh God, I've got that guitar riff bouncing around my head now. It's gonna be there for days. Thanks @Foxy!
    The medical students and junior doctors are too young to get the joke, but the intro is good as a ring tone as it starts slowly and builds, rather than starts full on.
    Yes, it's a great intro, and a good joke.

I used to have Hanging On The Telephone, which has an element of surprise as a ringtone.
  • Options

stodge said:

After a couple of frenetic days, it seems quieter tonight. Has the Prime Minister ridden out the storm of criticism or are we all awaiting the Gray report with breath most bated?

I find it highly amusing that people think that Boris will give a f**k what is in the Gray report.

This is a man who had parties whilst the monarch was socially isolating at her husband's funeral.

Indeed. He’s going nowhere - would have to be dragged out most probably,
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

Sheep running away i bet

Could I suggest this for Johnson:

https://youtu.be/OgtQj8O92eI
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022

stodge said:

For sake of accuracy, I think it has been established that Boris was nowhere near those parties, he was away at Chequers. I actually think those ones took him by surprise that his staff had going wild at such a moment.

The fact he fostered an culture of people having drinks during times of restrictions and was unaware when that a garden party was a garden party, despite sitting in it for half an hour, that is another matter.
  • Options

stodge said:

I am sure you are right about Johnson not giving a f**k... but it's not really what he thinks that's important is it? It's what Tory MPs think that counts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

stodge said:

For sake of accuracy, Boris was nowhere near those parties, he was away at Chequers. I actually think those ones took him by surprise that his staff had going wild at such a moment.
    Why let facts get in the way of a good rant?
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

Sounds like a Moody Blues song
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

For sake of accuracy, Boris was nowhere near those parties, he was away at Chequers. I actually think those ones took him by surprise that his staff had going wild at such a moment.
    Why let facts get in the way of a good rant?
    Indeed!
  • Options
    Days of Future Passed?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I’m just catching up on the blackmail stuff. I’ve been snowed under all week so missed that the guy at the heart of the claim is Billy Wragg, vice chairman of the 22. That could change things, I might have to admit.
  • Options
    vino said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

I am a BOC fan. Indeed they are supposed to be backing Deep Purple in October in Brum. I have tickets, if it ever happens.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

Sheep running away i bet

Could I suggest this for Johnson:

https://youtu.be/OgtQj8O92eI
    Actually, this might be a better choice for the PM, from the second best Eighties teen movie "Earth Girls are Easy"

https://youtu.be/4Ol4oWChjzk
  • Options

stodge said:

Actually those parties that night took place while Boris was at Chequers

The one he accepted he went to was in May 20

However, he will still lose his premiership because of his lack of awareness
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Causes of recent PMs' downfall:

Callaghan - Winter of Discontent
    Mrs Thatcher - Europe/Poll Tax/General staleness
    Major - Europe/lots of other stuff
    Blair - Middle East
    Brown - Economy/leadership style
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?
  • Options
    Tory MPs who want to oust Boris Johnson are considering publishing a secretly recorded conversation with the chief whip and text messages after they accused the government of blackmail and intimidation..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-10-parties-hurt-our-democracy-sajid-javid-admits-qvmg22pfz
  • Options

😕.

I must have missed it but what is the significance of Norman ?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Lying? Incompetence?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

vino said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Indeed.

I am a BOC fan. Indeed they are supposed to be backing Deep Purple in October in Brum. I have tickets, if it ever happens.
    Sorry Foxy - too old to even know who/what BOC are - I googled that song and thought Moody Blue even though I wasn't a fan of theirs apart from their first hit
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Radical I know.
    Needs to be £21 a week by now, surely the poorest in society should get the same triple lock that we offer the richest cohort?
    Once again those on other benefits e.g. disability or ESA or Carers are forgotten and ignored. Perhaps because they don't register with news editors?

Not so.

New-style ESA is a contribution-based benefit, not means tested and usually payable for only one year. Completely separate from UC (albeit a parallel UC claim will take any ESA in payment into account, and will be accordingly reduced).
    Yep. Well spotted.
  • Options

Tory MPs who want to oust Boris Johnson are considering publishing a secretly recorded conversation with the chief whip and text messages after they accused the government of blackmail and intimidation..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-10-parties-hurt-our-democracy-sajid-javid-admits-qvmg22pfz

"I see. No evidence." :lol:
  • Options

Is Rishi Sunak the new Gordon Brown?

There's some similarity between this and some of the polling we saw in 2006/07 regarding Blair and Brown.

Rishi Sunak's position has strong similarities with that of Gordon Brown back in the day.

However, think that GB's biggest problem, was the Peter Principle. Did for him, as it did Sir Anthony Eden.

How Sunak performs viz-a-viz the dread PP, if (or is it when?) push comes to shove (for Boris), is an open question.
    I can't see the comparison between Brown and Eden. Brown was a victim of Macmillan's events, dear boy, events in the shape of the global financial crisis.

Eden was master of his own demise via Suez and, to a lesser extent, the Buster Crabb affair.
    Chuchill thought Eden just was NOT up to the job of replacing him. And he was right.

Ditto Blair with Brown.
    But the fact that they didn't idenitfy and develop a decent successor is a huge indictment of them, as just much as on those who followed them.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

stodge said:

Hmm .. Perhaps
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Lying? Incompetence?
    Which PM are you talking about?
  • Options

Billy Wragg doesn’t want to change the world, he’s not looking for a new England, he’s just looking for another PM.

A16 Highway to the Irish Sea :lol:
  • Options

stodge said:

I misunderstood his apology to the Queen and thought it was HIS party rather than a party, but he shows no remorse that looks genuine and in his pieces to camera he does not convince.

There have been plenty of parties and a total lack of leadership from the top. If a PM read the Riot Act after the first of these and disciplined staff, the whole thing would have stopped.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups? lying to the HoC, blackmailing his MPs, trying to save sleaze-ridden MPs, failing to focus on the detail of the PM job...

Take your pick.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Lying? Incompetence?
    Which PM are you talking about?
    Guess.
  • Options

"I see. No evidence." :lol:
    Difficult to see evidence if it's a sound recording, of course.

The behaviour of the government, especially the flitting between cunning and stupidity, coupled with the quibbling of exactly what you mean by words like "evidence", reminds me of teenage boys caught with a copy of Big and Bouncy under their mattress.

As for the threat to release a secretly-recorded tape, it sounds a bit blackmaily to me... maybe said MPs are trying out for roles in the Whips Office.
  • Options
    When is Gray's report expected to land - anyone any ideas?
  • Options

stodge said:

I misunderstood his apology to the Queen and thought it was HIS party rather than a party, but he shows no remorse that looks genuine and in his pieces to camera he does not convince.

There have been plenty of parties and a total lack of leadership from the top. If a PM read the Riot Act after the first of these and disciplined staff, the whole thing would have stopped.
    I do not disagree, but the two parties the night before Philip's funeral were organised by civil servants while Boris was away at Chequers and I do believe he was genuinely shocked

It is important to know the context of these parties and I am sure Sue Gray's report will address just who was responsible for those two parties, both on the same night
  • Options

Officially Monday/Tuesday next week, but she's trying to hit a moving target so who knows.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Reading all the reports of businesses "calling staff back to desks", not a single one is suggesting 100% office based work as the way forward. All are talking hybrid with 50% office work and 50% home work and that's the way of the future or the "new normal" as it is termed.

Looking at today's release of passenger transport numbers, national rail passenger numbers are just over half pre-Covid and London Underground at just under half pre-Covid. We are told there has been a "rush" back today but the truth is much more prosaic - a small increase but still a long way off pre-Covid days.

I was amused to note the roads round here were much quieter today than they were yesterday.

I suspect as much as anything that was due to the heavy ice most people had to clear, but it was still ironic,
    Yes, we'll be restarting in April, with a 2/3 day hybrid model for the forseeable future. Staff who want to be 100% at home have been told that won't be possible but the general pattern will be to ease people back gradually. I can't see us ever going back to 5 days in the office - it'd feel as antiquated as Ceefax.
  • Options

Billy Wragg doesn’t want to change the world, he’s not looking for a new England, he’s just looking for another PM.

Did his uncle once play for Red Star Belgrade?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Radical I know.

Not so.

And there are still people on legacy benefits.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

There's some similarity between this and some of the polling we saw in 2006/07 regarding Blair and Brown.

Rishi Sunak's position has strong similarities with that of Gordon Brown back in the day.

However, think that GB's biggest problem, was the Peter Principle. Did for him, as it did Sir Anthony Eden.

How Sunak performs viz-a-viz the dread PP, if (or is it when?) push comes to shove (for Boris), is an open question.
    I can't see the comparison between Brown and Eden. Brown was a victim of Macmillan's events, dear boy, events in the shape of the global financial crisis.

Eden was master of his own demise via Suez and, to a lesser extent, the Buster Crabb affair.
    Chuchill thought Eden just was NOT up to the job of replacing him. And he was right.

Ditto Blair with Brown.
    But the fact that they didn't idenitfy and develop a decent successor is a huge indictment of them, as just much as on those who followed them.
    Think you may be . . . err . . . fishing on this one. Esp. the "huge"; certainly history as written so far does NOT agree this is a major criticism of WSC.

Can you cite examples of elected politicos who actually achieved such identification and / or development?
  • Options

I have no doubt got the wrong end of the stick here but doesn't the A16 run between Peterborough and Grimsby?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Actually, I think you meant:

Boris - piss-ups in large groups whilst there was a lockdown making such gathering illegal and 1000s were fined for similar behaviour and hounded by the police. And then lying about it. Repeatedly. Including to Parliament.

• Options

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Its not the pissups so much as all the lies / attempted cover up and also it is increasingly clear it wasn't a single incident, it is culture of just ignoring the rules over the course of at least a year.
    Or 'taking the piss', to put it briefly.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

stodge said:

I think he's going to make it BigG. However he does need to sack one hell of a lot of civil servants and severely discipline the party whips.

Maybe with what is going on in the Ukraine we need a great Churchillian war leader, Johnson thinks he possesses the right qualities, let's hope he's correct.
  • Options

Apparently before next weeks PMQs

It is reported six more investigators have been added to Sue Gray's team

I will be surprised if Boris sees the month out
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Nigelb said:

Yes, it’s reasonably likely that approving a particular development in a given area dooms another one, so ‘the more the better’ might not apply here.
    The massive local opposition, and the somewhat dodgy penumbra around the deal wouldn’t have helped.

In the longer run, switcheable pan European connections, rather than just country to country, are of far greater importance to reliable energy.

No opinion on the specific case, but when I was PPS to the Energy Minister (about 14 years ago now) there was a fair amount of EU (and therefore then British) interest in a long-term grid to be developed gradually over a generation from Norway to North Africa, partly because although wind and solar energy vary with thr weather, you don't usually get the same weather all over Europe. You'd think that transmission loss over long distances would be a big factor, but it didn't seem to be as much as you might expect.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    R4 says rebels have tape recordings of threats made by Tory whips
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Its not the pissups so much as all the lies / attempted cover up and also it is increasingly clear it wasn't a single incident, it is culture of just ignoring the rules over the course of at least a year.
    Spot on.

A quick apology, explaining how much stress his team was under given how hard they were working, "in retrospect, this informal gathering was against the rules, and should not have happened. For that I apologize."

Done. All over.

Instead we had 'there was no party' and then 'there was no party' and then 'I didn't know the party was against the rules because no one told me.'

The party was not a big thing. Lying repeatedly, on the other hand, is.
  • Options

stodge said:

I think he's going to make it BigG. However he does need to sack one hell of a lot of civil servants and severely discipline the party whips.

Maybe with what is going on in the Ukraine we need a great Churchillian war leader, Johnson thinks he possesses the right qualities, let's hope he's correct.
    Once he starts sacking the letters will pour in seeking his own resignation
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Fishing said:

Ditto Blair with Brown.
    Think you may be . . . err . . . fishing on this one. Esp. the "huge"; certainly history as written so far does NOT agree this is a major criticism of WSC.

Can you cite examples of elected politicos who actually achieved such identification and / or development?
    No - it's a very difficult thing to do. And people with the ego and megalomania to want to be heads of government basically like to think themselves immortal, so don't like to plan for their political deaths.

Some of the accounts of WSC that I've read basically think that he fell into that trap. And he definitely didn't develop a successor. So yes I think it's a huge indictment.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Sounds a bit Cummings-y, but I'm assuming they made them without his input or advice.

Doesn't sound good for the govt.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Radical I know.

Not so.

And there are still people on legacy benefits.
    Well indeed.
    And whose bloody fault is it that 11 years into government their flagship benefits policy still hasn't been rolled out?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited January 2022
    Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups? lying to the HoC, blackmailing his MPs, trying to save sleaze-ridden MPs, failing to focus on the detail of the PM job... Finally dawning on MPs that he was utterly unsuitable for the job once Brexit was vaguely sorted

FTFY - there are a lot of options..
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    IanB2 said:

Not...enough...popcorn...
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IanB2 said:

If so, the damage is spreading.
    Why it was beyond the wit of the Conservative party to cauterise this weeks ago is baffling.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IanB2 said:

If so, the damage is spreading.
    Why it was beyond the wit of the Conservative party to cauterise this weeks ago is baffling.
    They aren't very competent?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Boris - piss-ups in large groups whilst there was a lockdown making such gathering illegal and 1000s were fined for similar behaviour and hounded by the police. And then lying about it. Repeatedly. Including to Parliament.

No argument from me, though I think that the mistake was to impose those rules in the first place, rather than making them guidance, and in fairness to Boris he stuck it out as long as he could until it became politically impossible.

Personally, I'd guess he'll surive at least until May, but I could of course be wrong.
  • Options
    Compounding this problem is that the rules as they stand mean should Johnson win a confidence vote, he could not be challenged for another year.

Tory MPs who aren’t sure what to do are using this scenario to argue that they would be better off waiting until after the local elections in May before deciding. This position is unpopular with those who have councillors up for elections in May.

I understand that at a meeting of the 1922 Committee executive this week it was suggested that they should discuss a rule change designed to deal with this problem. A threshold of 25 per cent would be set for a second ballot within a year. This would mean that if a ballot were held in the coming weeks that Johnson survived, there could then be another one after, say, the local elections, assuming 90 Tory MPs wanted it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-civil-war-could-drag-on-to-the-summer-l7xn29cz7
  • Options

The men in Gray’s troop?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

Spot on.

A quick apology, explaining how much stress his team was under given how hard they were working, "in retrospect, this informal gathering was against the rules, and should not have happened. For that I apologize."

Done. All over.

Instead we had 'there was no party' and then 'there was no party' and then 'I didn't know the party was against the rules because no one told me.'

The party was not a big thing. Lying repeatedly, on the other hand, is.
    The Party was quite a big thing, Robert.

It's easy to forget now just how strictly enforced and complied with the lockdown regulations were then. A party of any size anywhere woud have been likely to have attracted a fair degree of attention and opprobrium.

But at Downing Street....?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,303
    edited January 2022

The men in Gray’s troop?
    Why men, it could be women or mixture of both
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,053
    Heathener said:

From another PB.

"Stanley Johnson was in my local in Queens Park on Monday night, drinking a half of lager in an Estrella glass and eating cheese crisps. I mentioned to someone that it must be tense in the Johnson family at the moment, and was reminded of an incident here last summer when someone approached Stanley in the same pub to tell him that his son was a c*nt. To which Johnson Senior wearily replied, 'Yes, I know.'"

Brilliant :smiley:

I don't think Jo Johnson thinks a lot of his brother either.
    Sounds to me like shutting down what would be a tedious discussion that’s stopping him enjoying his lager in peace
  • Options

Callaghan - Thatcher
    Thatcher - Howe
    Major - Blair
    Blair - Brown
    Brown - Cameron
    Cameron - Boris
    May - Boris
    Boris - Boris
  • Options

Compounding this problem is that the rules as they stand mean should Johnson win a confidence vote, he could not be challenged for another year.

Tory MPs who aren’t sure what to do are using this scenario to argue that they would be better off waiting until after the local elections in May before deciding. This position is unpopular with those who have councillors up for elections in May.

I understand that at a meeting of the 1922 Committee executive this week it was suggested that they should discuss a rule change designed to deal with this problem. A threshold of 25 per cent would be set for a second ballot within a year. This would mean that if a ballot were held in the coming weeks that Johnson survived, there could then be another one after, say, the local elections, assuming 90 Tory MPs wanted it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-civil-war-could-drag-on-to-the-summer-l7xn29cz7

Don't like the outcome of your choices?
    Change the rules.
    Tory 101.
  • Options
    I owe Boris Johnson an apology.

• Options
    Fraser Nelson: Boris deserves one last chance, but he may be incapable now of taking it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/20/boris-deserves-one-last-chance-may-incapable-now-taking/

How surprised can we really be about Boris Johnson’s No 10 shenanigans? He has always been a rule-flouting, outrage-inducing politician – that’s why he managed to deliver Brexit, save the Conservative Party and win the biggest majority they’ve seen in a generation. Covid-19 restrictions are now being dropped because his vaccine programme (again) triumphed. He has arguably achieved more in 30 months than John Major did in seven years – and he gets kicked out because his staff held a few parties?

Fraser makes a good case for him imo, but it's a coin toss whether he stays or goes.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,269

Nigelb said:

No opinion on the specific case, but when I was PPS to the Energy Minister (about 14 years ago now) there was a fair amount of EU (and therefore then British) interest in a long-term grid to be developed gradually over a generation from Norway to North Africa, partly because although wind and solar energy vary with thr weather, you don't usually get the same weather all over Europe. You'd think that transmission loss over long distances would be a big factor, but it didn't seem to be as much as you might expect.
    The long distance cables use HVDC which reduces transmission losses compared to the AC used for normal bits of the grid.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

No argument from me, though I think that the mistake was to impose those rules in the first place, rather than making them guidance, and in fairness to Boris he stuck it out as long as he could until it became politically impossible.

Personally, I'd guess he'll surive at least until May, but I could of course be wrong.
    That's what I think too.

• Options

I have no doubt got the wrong end of the stick here but doesn't the A16 run between Peterborough and Grimsby?
    [sigh]
    It's a play on a) Bragg's "A13 Highway to the Sea", and b) Article 16.
  • Options

I owe Boris Johnson an apology.

Only misfits and weirdos would think of buying wine by the suitcase! Great innovation, Dom.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,388

Hypothetical Question:

If Sue Gray finds that Johnson did break the ministerial code and lied to parliament, yet he doesn't resign, and wins a Vonc, what happens next?

Didn't the Australian Governor General sack a PM in the 70s?

Does the Queen have the power to do that?

Asking for a friend....
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Fraser Nelson: Boris deserves one last chance, but he may be incapable now of taking it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/20/boris-deserves-one-last-chance-may-incapable-now-taking/

How surprised can we really be about Boris Johnson’s No 10 shenanigans? He has always been a rule-flouting, outrage-inducing politician – that’s why he managed to deliver Brexit, save the Conservative Party and win the biggest majority they’ve seen in a generation. Covid-19 restrictions are now being dropped because his vaccine programme (again) triumphed. He has arguably achieved more in 30 months than John Major did in seven years – and he gets kicked out because his staff held a few parties?

Fraser makes a good case for him imo, but it's a coin toss whether he stays or goes.

Yes. But it isn't because his staff held a few parties, is it, Fraser?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Hypothetical Question:

If Sue Gray finds that Johnson did break the ministerial code and lied to parliament, yet he doesn't resign, and wins a Vonc, what happens next?

Asking for a friend....
    Is that even within her (Gray's) remit?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426

Nigelb said:

The long distance cables use HVDC which reduces transmission losses compared to the AC used for normal bits of the grid.
    There have also been some serious improvements in materials - part of the ongoing Materials Revolution - which make long distance undersea power cables practical.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

stodge said:

Even if we get the 54 letters he should still get the 181 votes (or whatever it is) to survive.

I am resigned to many years of Johnson.

I cannot contemplate any UK politician in my lifetime coming close to surviving such a ****storm. Anyone else would have gone weeks ago. But Boris will be Boris.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,388
    RobD said:

Hypothetical Question:

Asking for a friend....
    I don't know, but if not, what's the point of it? Shouldn't the Standards Committee get involved?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Fishing said:

Blair - Middle East
    Cameron - Europe
    May - Europe
    Boris - a few pissups?

It was widely pointed out why Johnson wasn't fit for office from the moment he was elected leader. Have the reasons for any other PM's downfall ever been so accurately and widely predicted before they even took office? I can't think of one.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

The neolibs don't want to let their golden boy go under... but they can see that nothing can really save him now.
  • Options

RobD said:

Hypothetical Question:

Asking for a friend....
    I don't know, but if not, what's the point of it? Shouldn't the Standards Committee get involved?
    The point of the inquiry is to protect the PM and give him a chance to reset.
  • Options

stodge said:

Even if we get the 54 letters he should still get the 181 votes (or whatever it is) to survive.

I am resigned to many years of Johnson.

I cannot contemplate any UK politician in my lifetime coming close to surviving such a ****storm. Anyone else would have gone weeks ago. But Boris will be Boris.
    I would not be surprised if you are correct. I was wondering about this in a previous thread
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Yes yes, very good Fraser, have a sweetie and fuck off back to bed.
  • Options

The men in Gray’s troop?
    Why men, it could be women or mixture of both
    It was a pun, a play on words
  • Options

dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

The neolibs don't want to let their golden boy go under... but they can see that nothing can really save him now.
    Why do you think he's stirring things up in the Ukraine if not as a decoy to distract from all this partying and dissembling?

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,269

Hypothetical Question:

Asking for a friend....
    The Australian Governor-General did, but in the circumstance where the PM couldn't secure supply.

In theory the Queen has that power, but she's shown no inclination to act independently, and the last time a Monarch sought to impose their will in this way the Commons prevailed.

Who does she appoint instead?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,053
    rcs1000 said:

Jim Pickard
    @PickardJE
    ·
    5h
    @KwasiKwarteng

Roadworks in a marginal just before an election…
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories bottled it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Jonathan said:

The Tories bottled it.

I don’t think this is over yet.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories bottled it.

That remains to be seen. I think the Gray report is the moment of maximum danger.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

Why do you think he's stirring things up in the Ukraine if not as a decoy to distract from all this partying and dissembling?

Wait.. do you think Boris Johnson is responsible for all this Ukraine stuff?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Hypothetical Question:

Asking for a friend....
    Don't think so.

But as i understand it the sovereign retains the right to dismiss her ministry.

It is a bit of a nuclear option so I doubt Queen would want to go anywhere near it.

Was discussed as an option during Home Rule crisis 1913/14.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

😕.

I must have missed it but what is the significance of Norman ?
    No worries Big G

We were calling him The Invisible Assailant who does the leaking, but were fortunate to have Leon give us a metaphor of Norman Bates stabbing a victim to death in shower. because we can now shorten The Invisible Assailant bit of a mouthful down to Norman. What tends to happen is, Cummings blogs something, like look at the party on the 20th, which might make a footnote of the times front page. Then “Norman” follows up with the actual bring your invite and it’s headlines everywhere. They are a double act.

That’s Norman. 🙂
    There’s several reasons why Norman is important. Without Cummings and Norman doing their weekly double act, the polls were quickly coming back together in new year despite the partygate and other gates leading to Shropshire North and couple of 8% Labour leads before Christmas. 3rd Jan RWS had Boris Tories back to only 3 behind, polling 6-9th yougov and comres had it already down to 4. The rest of the best of UK investigative journalism can’t sustain it without Normans evidence, even though some of them, like the paper with its finger on the pulse of the nation The Sun had editor at the party’s! The longer it goes without Norman, the stronger Boris gets the more it’s gets set back to the start again.

Are you up to speed on the meaning of the winged totenkopf?

PS Down below when you said the big party nite with the DJ was not politicians but civil servants, wasn’t it mostly spads, aren’t they different than CS?
  • Options

stodge said:

Said from the start it would be a whitewash.
    And if it isn't it won't be released. The PM is that shameless.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

Wait.. do you think Boris Johnson is responsible for all this Ukraine stuff?
    Sorry I can't help you Farouk. You'll just have to scratch a bit harder.

This discussion has been closed.