Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Were you up for Boris Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited January 2022 in General
imageWere you up for Boris Johnson? – politicalbetting.com

His constituency might be why Boris Johnson resigns as PM before the next election

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Guilty LOL at final para.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    IshmaelZ said:

Fpt do you have a link to the FAC (or any) report on the Afghan animal evacuation.
  • Options
    The announcement of the exit poll at 10pm in 2017 was the biggest election night surprise of my life
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Innocent face.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fpt do you have a link to the FAC (or any) report on the Afghan animal evacuation.
    FAC not reported yet, I watched a lot of the proceedings live and read the Raphael Marshall statement
  • Options
    Are the boundary changes likely to affect this or is there no change planned in this constituency?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Dear BBC looks like splicing a recording of Boris on Remembrance Day 2016 into the 2019 live coverage to launder his reputation really paid off.

Good riddance
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited January 2022

Are the boundary changes likely to affect this or is there no change planned in this constituency?

Makes it safer, majority goes up to 8,758 (theoretically any way)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Can't help but feel that between them Lord Binface and Count Buckethead were splitting a certain class of vote in Uxbridge and South Ruislip there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

FAC not reported yet, I watched a lot of the proceedings live and read the Raphael Marshall statement
    Do you have a link to that pls.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

The announcement of the exit poll at 10pm in 2017 was the biggest election night surprise of my life

And it was pretty accurate IIRC.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/41257/pdf/&ved=2ahUKEwj68q6Iwbb1AhUNQEEAHQfKCN0QFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3ietelkTL-hJwVpd4rlBBu
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Can't help but feel that between them Lord Binface and Count Buckethead were splitting a certain class of vote in Uxbridge and South Ruislip there.

Lord Buckethead, Count Binface, Boris Johnson. How do you tell the difference?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited January 2022
    TSE is such a lightweight; I’ve been up for election results since 1974.

Johnson won’t stand in Uxbridge next time, and indeed will probably never again contest a parliamentary election.

His political career is finished, and the question is simply what £$€¥ he can extract from his retirement, as a figure of fun.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Johnson won’t stand in Uxbridge next time, and indeed will probably never again contest a parliamentary election.

1974 is four years before I was born.
  • Options

Lord Buckethead, Count Binface, Boris Johnson. How do you tell the difference?
    Only two of them are serious candidates?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

You ARE a lightweight - it was only ONE year before I was born :lol:
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And your excuse is?
  • Options
    Chicken run to safe constituency - a. He has to find one (n Shropshire?) b. He has to find one where the local party will have him
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    If the polls stay similar there are going to be some brutal selection battles amongst sitting MP's.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Energetic Hong Kong demonstration in the UK's finest city.
  • Options
    Zoe shows Omicron cases disappearing fast all over the U.K. except NEast

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1482712498616868873
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Sigh.

Laters.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

IanB2 said:

Questionable commitment!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    having ‘mower’ as your safe word

step-mower, surely?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Eabhal said:

Energetic Hong Kong demonstration in the UK's finest city.

Derry?

(I've often wondered whether it's possible to annoy absolutely everyone with a single word)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    Beacuse this sort of partisan rubbish directed at Boris is getting old.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/41257/pdf/&ved=2ahUKEwj68q6Iwbb1AhUNQEEAHQfKCN0QFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3ietelkTL-hJwVpd4rlBBu
    tyvm
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    On the BBC Survival story, and its inability to fight Netflix and Prime etc, there is one slight counter-argument. The big American companies are Woking themselves to death

Read this remarkable article about diversity and Wokeness in Hollywood and US TV:

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/hollywoods-new-rules?fbclid=IwAR1iYqNdMGhl68_fw_otlewrIEmL8YYkjGO9bR1C5_UHjzDA5ZsUu1X90Ao

If the US streamers just pump out unfunny PC comedy and tediously liberal movies they won't prosper, either. Perhaps the Koreans will take over, because they don't give a shit and they are highly creative. Squid Game

I can vouch for the paragraphs about the endless hunt for "diversity hires". It is the same in the UK (if not quite as bad). Every job has to go to a Woman or a "BIPOC" (think BAME plus Native Americans)

What is extraordinary in America is that they now have strict racial quotas for movies that want to be considered for the Oscars:

"So, in September 2020, the Academy launched its Representation and Inclusion Standards Entry platform (or RAISE). For a movie to qualify for Best Picture, producers not only had to register detailed personal information about everyone involved in the making of that movie, but the movie had to meet two of the Academy’s four diversity standards—touching on everything from on-screen representation to creative leadership. (An Academy spokesperson said “only select staff” would have access to data collected on the platform.)

"The Academy explained that movies failing to meet these standards would not be barred from qualifying for Best Picture until 2024. But producers are already complying: In 2020, data from 366 productions were submitted to the platform.

"Meanwhile, CBS mandated that writers’ rooms be at least 40 percent black, indigenous and people of color (or BIPOC) for the 2021-2022 broadcast season and 50 percent for the 2022-2023 season. ABC Entertainment issued a detailed series of “inclusion standards.” (“I guarantee you every studio has something like that,” a longtime writer and director said.)

A telling remark:

"How to survive the revolution? By becoming its most ardent supporter. “Best way to defend yourself against the woke is to out-woke everyone, including the woke,” one writer said. Suddenly, every conversation with every agent or head of content started with: Is anyone BIPOC attached to this?"
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    FPT:
    MaxPB said:

The BBC is materially incapable of investing the same $10-12bn per year that the big three are pumping into TV show production and that's because it is limited by the licence fee and public funding model. The BBC could be a global powerhouse of TV production but it's not. That's because it can't raise the necessary money and invest in production houses, in house production and it can't cut the waste of having 17 replications of duties.

It may be worth reminding people that the first season of the upcoming Lord of the Rings series on Amazon will cost Amazon more money (£340 M + £182 M for rights) than the entire BBC spends on drama in a year (£289 M for 2021). The BBC funded by the licence fee is a minnow in the TV world. Saving the licence fee will not save the BBC, further inaction will ultimately kill the BBC. If the BBC wants to be a major player in the streaming world, which is what TV is in the 21st century, things do have to change.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

On the BBC Survival story, and its inability to fight Netflix and Prime etc, there is one slight counter-argument. The big American companies are Woking themselves to death

Read this remarkable article about diversity and Wokeness in Hollywood and US TV:

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/hollywoods-new-rules?fbclid=IwAR1iYqNdMGhl68_fw_otlewrIEmL8YYkjGO9bR1C5_UHjzDA5ZsUu1X90Ao

If the US streamers just pump out unfunny PC comedy and tediously liberal movies they won't prosper, either. Perhaps the Koreans will take over, because they don't give a shit and they are highly creative. Squid Game

I can vouch for the paragraphs about the endless hunt for "diversity hires". It is the same in the UK (if not quite as bad). Every job has to go to a Woman or a "BIPOC" (think BAME plus Native Americans)

What is extraordinary in America is that they now have strict racial quotas for movies that want to be considered for the Oscars:

"So, in September 2020, the Academy launched its Representation and Inclusion Standards Entry platform (or RAISE). For a movie to qualify for Best Picture, producers not only had to register detailed personal information about everyone involved in the making of that movie, but the movie had to meet two of the Academy’s four diversity standards—touching on everything from on-screen representation to creative leadership. (An Academy spokesperson said “only select staff” would have access to data collected on the platform.)

"The Academy explained that movies failing to meet these standards would not be barred from qualifying for Best Picture until 2024. But producers are already complying: In 2020, data from 366 productions were submitted to the platform.

"Meanwhile, CBS mandated that writers’ rooms be at least 40 percent black, indigenous and people of color (or BIPOC) for the 2021-2022 broadcast season and 50 percent for the 2022-2023 season. ABC Entertainment issued a detailed series of “inclusion standards.” (“I guarantee you every studio has something like that,” a longtime writer and director said.)

A telling remark:

"How to survive the revolution? By becoming its most ardent supporter. “Best way to defend yourself against the woke is to out-woke everyone, including the woke,” one writer said. Suddenly, every conversation with every agent or head of content started with: Is anyone BIPOC attached to this?"

Archive 81 on Netflix is great. Not even a hint of workery, just solid TV.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    Poor, defenceless, blameless Boris.
    Nothing in the news today? Never mind, there is always tomorrow. Certainly on past experience.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    He may be poor in relative terms but he is neither defenceless or blameless as many of his opponents over time have found out. I am exasperated by his lying but the more of this we see the more I want him survive.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    edited January 2022
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    Considering the tar and feathering Johnsonites were happy to give Mrs May over a very long period of time, it is no less than he deserves, and it is entirely his own doing. Unless he resigns it has barely started yet. Mrs May by the way, will still be MP for Maidenhead when Johnson is presenting his fifth series of Supermarket Sweep.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

And, of course, THE GREAT

The funniest TV show in years, and absolutely non-PC (except they have multiple black actors in 18th century Russia? - but why not, it works). Still amazing it got made
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    The criticisms won't stop because they are legitimate. Besides, as we know, they're not exclusively from the opposition. Expressions of displeasure and eruptions of outright revolt have been witnessed across his own party.
  • Options

Makes it safer, majority goes up to 8,758 (theoretically any way)
    Ta.
  • Options
    glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The BBC is materially incapable of investing the same $10-12bn per year that the big three are pumping into TV show production and that's because it is limited by the licence fee and public funding model. The BBC could be a global powerhouse of TV production but it's not. That's because it can't raise the necessary money and invest in production houses, in house production and it can't cut the waste of having 17 replications of duties.

It may be worth reminding people that the first season of the upcoming Lord of the Rings series on Amazon will cost Amazon more money (£340 M + £182 M for rights) than the entire BBC spends on drama in a year (£289 M for 2021). The BBC funded by the licence fee is a minnow in the TV world. Saving the licence fee will not save the BBC, further inaction will ultimately kill the BBC. If the BBC wants to be a major player in the streaming world, which is what TV is in the 21st century, things do have to change.
    Indeed. The lack of understanding about the global media landscape when our MPs and other numpties talk about the BBC and why it should or shouldn't keep the licence fee is laughable. The BBC pretence that £3.7bn per year or a number in that region is enough is also ridiculous. A media organisation today needs £12-15bn in revenue just to feed the media investment beast to create enough output for the following year. The BBC is uniquely placed as the major UK media organisation to take advantage of our huge TV and movie production capability and the dominance of English language media globally, but it has clung onto the licence model for 5 years too long instead of gambling on being a global streaming player.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    The criticisms won't stop because they are legitimate. Besides, as we know, they're not exclusively from the opposition. Expressions of displeasure and eruptions of outright revolt have been witnessed across his own party.
    Indeed. Even the Scottish Conservatives are joining in this partisan rubbish directed at Mr Johnson, ad libitum. Except the MPs for Scottish constituencies, IIRC?

PS Serious point, though: are the Tory MPs for Scotland revolting? I've lost track.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The bizarre thing about his is there is so much TV now made in his country And the big streamers are investing in new production facilities for even more content to come from the UK.

The BBC should be partnering with them and harnessing it. Co productions with the BBC having initial UK screening rights is something they should do more of.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

The funniest TV show in years, and absolutely non-PC (except they have multiple black actors in 18th century Russia? - but why not, it works). Still amazing it got made
    Four Lions is still the most surprising movie to have been made. Don't think Channel 4 would approve it today.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,662
    In today’s Sunday Times

Sue Gray approved an honour for disgraced financier Lex Greensill after pressure from superiors

In email she said: “Grr…but okay”

Qs about her independence come as sources warn report no longer likely to land this week, prolonging Boris purgatory

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1482730903981993994?s=20
  • Options

Apropos of not much... I was indeed 'up for Portillo'. In fact I was there, at the count, acting as an observer for the Edmonton count (neighbouring constituency, all counted together with Enfield North at Pickett's Lock).

I remember the shellshocked look on Stephen Twigg's face. As I was told it at the time, he had a nice little number of a job lined up and had never expected to win Enfield Southgate. He obviously made the best of it, but it clearly came as a complete surprise.

As I recall, Mr Portillo was pretty dignified about it. More so than some are in that situation.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Uxbridge: Only the Lib Dems can split the vote win here!
  • Options
    Yes I have difficulty envisaging a sitting PM actually losing their seat, it's why I can't see Raab becoming PM either. Even Hunt is not completely safe.

I find the overall demographics of his seat still quite hard to read even though Labour would surely win it if they get 300+ seats nationally or in a by election. I was surprised Labour got over 40% there in 2017 but the Tories completed thrashed Labour in the Hillingdon Council elections in 2018.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,662
    Someone’s not telling the truth:

NEW - No10 source says that it is “not true to suggest he was warned in advance”.

In response to questions about whether the PM was aware of concerns expressed by people within No10 ahead of the May 20 event.

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1482725335024250887?s=21
  • Options
    Taz said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The bizarre thing about his is there is so much TV now made in his country And the big streamers are investing in new production facilities for even more content to come from the UK.

The BBC should be partnering with them and harnessing it. Co productions with the BBC having initial UK screening rights is something they should do more of.
    They tried that but ultimately the licence fee is far too limiting. I'll use Sony as the best example here, they have no streaming service and yet they are the global number one media production company for streaming services. Sony has invested something like $9bn over the last two years buying production companies and building up their own production capabilities. The BBC can't compete with them and when Bad Wolf came up for sale, Sony blew them out of the water despite the founders preferring the BBC as their long te partner.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    It is irregular verb time.

I offer insightful political analysis, you are a partisan shill.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Carnyx said:

Apropos of not much... I was indeed 'up for Portillo'. In fact I was there, at the count, acting as an observer for the Edmonton count (neighbouring constituency, all counted together with Enfield North at Pickett's Lock).

I remember the shellshocked look on Stephen Twigg's face. As I was told it at the time, he had a nice little number of a job lined up and had never expected to win Enfield Southgate. He obviously made the best of it, but it clearly came as a complete surprise.

As I recall, Mr Portillo was pretty dignified about it. More so than some are in that situation.
    He says that he knew he'd lost when the exit poll came out, but when interviewed by the BBC early on that night, he wasn't asked about his prospects in his own seat.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Saw this online, always liked these 'Europe with areas of equal population' maps, as usually the borders are a bit dodgy and the names are usually nonsense

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Just a couple of months late for the Newcastle job.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    Early contender for silliest post of 2022!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

He says that he knew he'd lost when the exit poll came out, but when interviewed by the BBC early on that night, he wasn't asked about his prospects in his own seat.
    I seem to remember David Dimbleby saying, 'Michael Portillo has now left us. He looked a little queasy.'
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Same night as Mellor. The contrast in dignity was palpable.
  • Options
    Having listened to Trevor Phillips and Sophie Raworth this morning on playback, and I have to say Trevor Phillips is outstanding and had a very sad personal story to tell about the time of Prince Philip's funeral, I am beginning to think that Boris may well yet remain in post for a while

Boris lost me over the Paterson debacle and partygate, but I think he will survive the Sue Gray report and the May elections will now be the moment of greatest danger for him, which by that time we should be in an endemic and hopefully calmer waters to replace him

I could be wrong, but I am far from convinced he will go quickly and today's newspapers really had nothing further to add or provided the silver bullet
  • Options

That's because Count Binface had previously stood as Lord Buckethead but the rights holder decided to enforce their rights IIRC, so he needed a new character.

A sad tale indeed.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    Indeed. Even the Scottish Conservatives are joining in this partisan rubbish directed at Mr Johnson, ad libitum. Except the MPs for Scottish constituencies, IIRC?

PS Serious point, though: are the Tory MPs for Scotland revolting? I've lost track.
    Someone has summarised the position of that tiny band:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/3846792/heres-what-all-6-scottish-tory-mps-say-about-boris-johnsons-lockdown-party-scandal/
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alex Salmond going down, was undoubtedly the highlight of an otherwise very crap night in 2017.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited January 2022
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    I confess, I'm surprised at your posts about Boris, because I've always thought your comments on various matters showed great integrity and principle, even when I haven't agreed with them.

You reference to "partisan rubbish" is what I struggle with. I don't think it's partisan to point out that having a PM who is a congenital liar and prone to bouts of corruption or, at best, dodgy dealings is partisan. Yes, I'm a Labour chap. But I would never have directed similar attacks at, for example, Theresa May, as I think she was basically honest and decent. Boris isn't, simple as that.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

In historical dramas we readily accept actors having different hair colour, accents, languages and physical proportions than the figures they are representing, but we still have a problem with different skin colours. That’s, to use a phrase many on here hate, white privilege.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

You don't need to be shocking, offensive or even unwoke to be funny of course, but you are limiting your opportunities to be so considerably if you completely rule all three out.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    We have a sighting of the silent but palpable "Good Old" prefix. A rarer bird now but not yet in danger of extinction.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alex Salmond going down, was undoubtedly the highlight of an otherwise very crap night in 2017.
    It was certainly a notable event, as was Douglas Alexander's defenestration in 2015.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. The lack of understanding about the global media landscape when our MPs and other numpties talk about the BBC and why it should or shouldn't keep the licence fee is laughable. The BBC pretence that £3.7bn per year or a number in that region is enough is also ridiculous. A media organisation today needs £12-15bn in revenue just to feed the media investment beast to create enough output for the following year. The BBC is uniquely placed as the major UK media organisation to take advantage of our huge TV and movie production capability and the dominance of English language media globally, but it has clung onto the licence model for 5 years too long instead of gambling on being a global streaming player.
    You only have to recall the snooty dismissive comments when Clarkson et al. went to Amazon to see how many people do not get it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The BBC are a day late and a dollar short, when it comes to the modern media landscape.

They’ve probably got about another year, before the window of opportunity closes completely as the market consolidates to a few big players. Dusting off the massive back catalogue, and licensing it to everyone around the world, would be a great start.

(As an aside, trying to explain the concept of the licence fee to most foreigners, is even more weird than trying to explain the concept of the NHS).
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?

Someone has summarised the position of that tiny band:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/3846792/heres-what-all-6-scottish-tory-mps-say-about-boris-johnsons-lockdown-party-scandal/
    Oh good, thank you. Quite a mix there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

You can still get all the classic stuff from the golden age of unwoke on YouTube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJswJ2h8N0
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

I historical dramas we readily accept actors having different hair colour, accents, languages and physical proportions than the figures they are representing, but we still have a problem with different skin colours. That’s, to use a phrase many on here hate, white privilege.
    Well it's not about realism (Romans did not speak with British accent, I assume), but verisimilitude. If it doesn't affect the tone of the work the race issue doesn't matter.

I was a fan of Reign, an unfathomably silly but entertaining take on a young Mary Queen of Scots, but a relative couldn't get into it because rather than attempt fake french accents everyone was British. No accounting for taste

What was weird about Bridgerton, which in any case is completely fictional, was the show works just fine and I never once questioned there being black aristocrats, but there is like one scene only that seeks to explain it, which seemed needless as it woul djust raise questions where there were none.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Having listened to Trevor Phillips and Sophie Raworth this morning on playback, and I have to say Trevor Phillips is outstanding and had a very sad personal story to tell about the time of Prince Philip's funeral, I am beginning to think that Boris may well yet remain in post for a while

Boris lost me over the Paterson debacle and partygate, but I think he will survive the Sue Gray report and the May elections will now be the moment of greatest danger for him, which by that time we should be in an endemic and hopefully calmer waters to replace him

I could be wrong, but I am far from convinced he will go quickly and today's newspapers really had nothing further to add or provided the silver bullet

I wasn't expecting anything dramatic from "the Sundays". The weekend has been about Conservative MPs "taking soundings" from constituents and their association members. I suspect many will be in no doubt as to the hostility now widely felt toward Boris Johnson.

The question is whether the coming week sees further revelations as we wait for Sue Gray to report.

Unlike Theresa May who looked frankly glad to be out of it in 2019, this has been Boris Johnson's life goal and he will be dragged out kicking and screaming by either the Parliamentary party acting out of motivated self-interest or, and this is my preference, a vengeful electorate delivering Johnson and the Conservatives the kind of defeat which will make 1906 and 1997 look like mild setbacks.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Its all the fault of The Metropolitan Elite The BBC and other cliches by Mick Hume

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10400775/MICK-HUME-think-Boris-BBCs-obsessive-campaign-destroy-disgrace.html

How do these people hold down a job?. Seriously
  • Options
    stodge said:

I wasn't expecting anything dramatic from "the Sundays". The weekend has been about Conservative MPs "taking soundings" from constituents and their association members. I suspect many will be in no doubt as to the hostility now widely felt toward Boris Johnson.

The question is whether the coming week sees further revelations as we wait for Sue Gray to report.

Unlike Theresa May who looked frankly glad to be out of it in 2019, this has been Boris Johnson's life goal and he will be dragged out kicking and screaming by either the Parliamentary party acting out of motivated self-interest or, and this is my preference, a vengeful electorate delivering Johnson and the Conservatives the kind of defeat which will make 1906 and 1997 look like mild setbacks.
    I really do not see him leading into GE 23/24
  • Options
    glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

It may be worth reminding people that the first season of the upcoming Lord of the Rings series on Amazon will cost Amazon more money (£340 M + £182 M for rights) than the entire BBC spends on drama in a year (£289 M for 2021).
    I almost hope it is terrible as having sunk so much into it that would be hilarious.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

You can still get all the classic stuff from the golden age of unwoke on YouTube.
    Uploaded unchallenged by a guy called Matt Spanner, as opposed to being monetised by the official BBC ITV account. A great example of what’s wrong with UK TV companies in their approach to the internet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The BBC also has a GREAT brand. Still. But, as you say, they need to move fast to monetise and scale up, because in 5 years, certainly 10, it will be too late

If they cling on to their present dwindling fee, which is evermore unsustainable, they are doomed to become one of the irrelevant state broadcasters of old Europe, somewhere between RTE in Ireland and RAI in Italy. Still significant at home but dwarfed globally, and increasingly ignored on any wider stage

I actively want the BBC to survive, as a great British institution (and brand). But they need to wise up. To be fair I think plenty of people within the BBC know this. As it is so bloody obvious
    It is pretty widely accepted within the BBC that they try too hard to be all things to all people. If they would stick to the knitting they'd be just fine.

Not sure the management, politicians or public has grasped this yet.
  • Options

Could still be a month too early for the same job.....
  • Options

Why would he want to be a Championship manager?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

In historical dramas we readily accept actors having different hair colour, accents, languages and physical proportions than the figures they are representing, but we still have a problem with different skin colours. That’s, to use a phrase many on here hate, white privilege.
    I have absolutely zero point zero zero problem with black people playing white people, or vice versa - except in cases where the skin colour is crucial to the story - a white man playing Martin Luther King, say, would be jarring and silly. Ditto trans and gays and the rest. Let everyone play everyone. The Woke idea you can only act within your gender, race silo is profoundly corrosive

Moreover, as an aside, there WERE quite a few black people in 18th century aristo Russia. Not as many as implied in The Great but certainly some. The blue-blooded writer Alexander Pushkin was inordinately proud of his part-African heritage

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/dec/19/pushkins-pride-how-the-russian-literary-giant-paid-tribute-to-his-african-ancestry
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sigh.

Laters.

Why are you sighing?
    He may be poor in relative terms but he is neither defenceless or blameless as many of his opponents over time have found out. I am exasperated by his lying but the more of this we see the more I want him survive.
    Johnson will never again contest a parliamentary election, and the only question now is his working out how best to make money from his impending retirement.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Its all the fault of The Metropolitan Elite The BBC and other cliches by Mick Hume

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10400775/MICK-HUME-think-Boris-BBCs-obsessive-campaign-destroy-disgrace.html

Tory PM bashed by conservatives and backed by revolutionary communists would have seemed quite unlikely a decade ago.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited January 2022
    Leeds turning Hammers over

Check - var overturns 4th Leeds goal
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

Uploaded unchallenged by a guy called Matt Spanner, as opposed to being monetised by the official BBC ITV account. A great example of what’s wrong with UK TV companies in their approach to the internet.
    Would 'On The Buses' have much value though? I'd have thought all you could monetize is the threat - "Pay us now or we'll put repeats out!" - and that's probably not legal.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I did a count once in a multi seat ward, it was very close and the counters had messed up so it was taking a long time on a very hot day, and we were really worried the closest loser would request, not entirely unreasonably, an official recount, but in fact the person was just chuffed to have come so close, having not been able to get out campaigning at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Sandpit said:

Why would he want to be a Championship manager?
    Done it before with the same team.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

Roger said:

Tory PM bashed by conservatives and backed by revolutionary communists would have seemed quite unlikely a decade ago.
    The trajectory of that Living Marxism group is one the fascinations of British politics. The thing is, with people like Munira Mirza actually in within the Downing Street operation, they've very bizarrely added an element of revolutionary populism to modern Toryism. Look very carefully at the particular way the culture war is conducted to see the evidence for this.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Seem to have finally found their shooting boots. Or at least Harrison has.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

Would 'On The Buses' have much value though? I'd have thought all you could monetize is the threat - "Pay us now or we'll put repeats out!" - and that's probably not legal.
    However much money they might make, it would be more than they’re making now.

Youtube views also come from some very wierd places. My wife knows all sorts of obscure British and American TV shows of past decades, from her previous job of teaching English as a foreign language.
  • Options
    Anyone started the official "Boris for Everton manager" campaign? No?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

Getting any value from it doesn't generally stop content holders from pursuing copyright claims.

The BBC are a bit slow but mass uploads eventually get taken down I think. I know there used to be pretty much the whole backlog of HIGNFY on youtube.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

It may be worth reminding people that the first season of the upcoming Lord of the Rings series on Amazon will cost Amazon more money (£340 M + £182 M for rights) than the entire BBC spends on drama in a year (£289 M for 2021).
    I almost hope it is terrible as having sunk so much into it that would be hilarious.
    The streaming companies have so much money it is insane

Apple TV casually dropped $45 million on one sci fi series, Foundation

Amazon Prime spent $80 million on the first season of The Wheel of Time. It hasn't done very well, meh, fuck it, make something else

One season of The Crown costs Netflix about $120 million

The Marvel series Hawkeye costs $25 million for EACH EPISODE - same as Wandavision and Loki

How can the BBC hope to compete with this?

• Options

Roger said:

The trajectory of that Living Marxism gang is one the fascinations of British politics. The thing is, with people like Munira Mirza actually inside the Downing Street operation, they've very bizarrely added an element of revolutionary populism to modern Toryism. Look very carefully at the particular way they conduct the culture war to see.
    I don't actually know enough about revolutionary communism to notice anything beyond how many of them are very close to, and accepted by, this government.
  • Options
    Rafa Benitez's name is being chanted around Anfield
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A telling remark:

However much money they might make, it would be more than they’re making now.

Youtube views also come from some very wierd places. My wife knows all sorts of obscure British and American TV shows of past decades, from her previous job of teaching English as a foreign language.
    Twitch paid peanuts for the back catalogue of Bob Ross show, the American landscape painter, it got massive viewership.
  • Options

As long as the Hammers finish above Liverpool at the end of the season, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

FPT:

MaxPB said:

The streaming companies have so much money it is insane

Apple TV casually dropped $45 million on one sci fi series, Foundation

Amazon Prime spent $80 million on the first season of The Wheel of Time. It hasn't done very well, meh, fuck it, make something else

One season of The Crown costs Netflix about $120 million

The Marvel series Hawkeye costs $25 million for EACH EPISODE - same as Wandavision and Loki

How can the BBC hope to compete with this?

Production values aren't everything of course, plenty of excellently produced garbage out there, but just in terms of profile, slickness of operation and spectacle, it does seem like the areas the BBC and smaller operators can compete will be much reduced.
This discussion has been closed.