Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is everything alright Prime Minister? – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    I see Darren Grimes has made a twat of himself (again).

Although i did find the description by his critics of Karl Marx as simply a Victorian Intellectual, is a bit like describing Colston as simply an import / exporter....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

The Colston verdicts are clearly insane but that is juries. So be it

On the plus side I can say after getting hammered in the pubs of Soho, and meeting a self selecting group of young bohemian people who go to the French House on a Wednesday in early January, that Generation Z:

1. Are not at all Woke as we know it

2. Don't give a fuck about Covid

3, Are absolutely never going to obey another lockdown, so it is pointless

Good for them. They are fun

The vast majority, never mind Gen z, will not obey another lockdown and Whitty knows this.

Doesn't really matter what Whitty thinks.
    But, seriously. Does anyone think there is a prospect at all of a lockdown now? (Barring summat unforeseen and catastrophic).
    Folk need to find summat more plausible to rail against.
    You are perhaps right. The pressure now needs to be on the isolation rules, the seven-day penalty is now feared more than the disease itself.
    I was urging caution even a week ago. Too early to tell. Even was called a "lockdown fanatic." I never thought the case was proven.
    But now I do.
    Yet many of the most ardent anti-lockdowners still seem to fear one. Which is strange. Because politically, it isn't going to happen. And isn't even necessary. And is too late even if it were.
    Am wary about 2 things now.
    Firstly, that the appetite for vaccination wanes now that omicron is proved mild. The next variant doesn't have to be. And I want this over once and for bloody all for all our sakes. That means keeping getting folk jabbed for the time being at least.
    Secondly, that milder doesn't always mean mild. The virus has always been unpredictable from the beginning in its effects on different individuals. I would have needed 2 weeks off work. Mostly because I was sleeping more hours than awake for that time period. Rest of family, a cold for a few days. I wouldn't want the "get back to work you bloody skiver" narrative to leak out of the Daily Mail comments into the mainstream. A few are still pretty sick, even the triple vaxxed, even if the vast majority aren't. Glad I didn't get the full fat one.
    Well I'm pleased you're now convinced.

I think ardent anti-lockdowners fear lockdown more because:
    a) we tend to be more convinced that lockdown is the wrong response.
    b) many of us have felt this way for some time, and have seen lockdowns before on what we consider scant evidence. We're therefore less convinced than average that decisions are being made rationally, so the fact that there is no case for it doesn't reassure us that government will not do it.
    One thing that always annoys me is the lack of nuance.

Face masks on public transport is not a "lockdown".

There are measures that have a relatively small cost in terms of personal freedom, and which have decent benefits. Likewise, there are measures that have enormous costs, and only modest benefits.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,608
    edited January 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

On the plus side I can say after getting hammered in the pubs of Soho, and meeting a self selecting group of young bohemian people who go to the French House on a Wednesday in early January, that Generation Z:

The vast majority, never mind Gen z, will not obey another lockdown and Whitty knows this.

But, seriously. Does anyone think there is a prospect at all of a lockdown now? (Barring summat unforeseen and catastrophic).
    You are perhaps right. The pressure now needs to be on the isolation rules, the seven-day penalty is now feared more than the disease itself.
    I was urging caution even a week ago. Too early to tell. Even was called a "lockdown fanatic." I never thought the case was proven.
    But now I do.
    Yet many of the most ardent anti-lockdowners still seem to fear one. Which is strange. Because politically, it isn't going to happen. And isn't even necessary. And is too late even if it were.
    Firstly, that the appetite for vaccination wanes now that omicron is proved mild. The next variant doesn't have to be. And I want this over once and for bloody all for all our sakes. That means keeping getting folk jabbed for the time being at least.
    Secondly, that milder doesn't always mean mild. The virus has always been unpredictable from the beginning in its effects on different individuals. I would have needed 2 weeks off work. Mostly because I was sleeping more hours than awake for that time period. Rest of family, a cold for a few days. I wouldn't want the "get back to work you bloody skiver" narrative to leak out of the Daily Mail comments into the mainstream. A few are still pretty sick, even the triple vaxxed, even if the vast majority aren't. Glad I didn't get the full fat one.
    Well I'm pleased you're now convinced.

I think ardent anti-lockdowners fear lockdown more because:
    a) we tend to be more convinced that lockdown is the wrong response.
    b) many of us have felt this way for some time, and have seen lockdowns before on what we consider scant evidence. We're therefore less convinced than average that decisions are being made rationally, so the fact that there is no case for it doesn't reassure us that government will not do it.
    One thing that always annoys me is the lack of nuance.

Face masks on public transport is not a "lockdown".

There are measures that have a relatively small cost in terms of personal freedom, and which have decent benefits. Likewise, there are measures that have enormous costs, and only modest benefits.

Like closing schools last year for more than a few weeks.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Sky News still haven't got the memo....still wall to wall disaster, something must be done.
  • Options
    This thread has been detained at the border for having a dodgy medical exemption....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

But now I do.
    Agree with all this. Poorly people shouldn’t be going to work. Similarly, well people shouldn’t be forced to stay at home. It’s the latter part that is causing a problem and needs to be reviewed.
    Hmm I think that's nuanced, if someone in our workplace tested positive they'd be told to stay away from the office or workshop no matter the official gov't line I think (Office staff can wfh, workshop can't).
    But perhaps this should be the decision of companies, not the gov't.
    Indeed. It’s mandating seven days even when they have a clear test that I think is excessive. France and the US have already reduced it to five days.
    Different start point
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

This is actually WORSE than the Boris "er er er"

lol

https://twitter.com/olafdoesstuff/status/1478344439143800832?s=21

Starmer forgets his "third British value" and has to drink water to recover his composure

It matters little in itself but let it be noted that Starmer was under zero pressure here, and he was still shit. He is no Blair. He might not even be Gordon Brown. I can see him losing, valiantly, against an equally fading Boris Johnson and an equally shop-worn Nicola Sturgeon. They will all look objectionably old and boring by then

Keir Starmer strikes me as the type of Labour leader who might, like Neil Kinnock, have more of a problem when facing a female opponent. Perhaps a good reason for the Tories to choose Liz Truss.
    By 1990 Starmer per a female Tory leader, Margaret Thatcher but it was q male Tory leader, John Major, who beat him in 1992.

Truss would trail Starmer by 16% with Opinium
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

lol

Starmer forgets his "third British value" and has to drink water to recover his composure

It matters little in itself but let it be noted that Starmer was under zero pressure here, and he was still shit. He is no Blair. He might not even be Gordon Brown. I can see him losing, valiantly, against an equally fading Boris Johnson and an equally shop-worn Nicola Sturgeon. They will all look objectionably old and boring by then

Keir Starmer strikes me as the type of Labour leader who might, like Neil Kinnock, have more of a problem when facing a female opponent. Perhaps a good reason for the Tories to choose Liz Truss.
    By 1990 Starmer per a female Tory leader, Margaret Thatcher but it was q male Tory leader, John Major, who beat him in 1992.

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

lol

But only 3% with Sunak
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

lol

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

lol

But only 3% with Sunak
    There is something uniquely ghastly about Truss with non Tory members. Interesting that Opiinium confirms it.
This discussion has been closed.