Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Red wall constituency poll has CON 15% behind – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

HYUFD said:

Genuine question for anyone who knows Red Wall seats well. How do you think the news the government may allow greater immigration from India under trade negotiations with that country will be viewed in these constituencies? A welcome strengthening of our links with the Commonwealth, or not the Brexit they voted for?

A trade deal with India is worth having and Truss has already agreed some immigration with Australia

Sadly we still have an element in the party who hate immigration and they are wrong

Sensible immigration is good for everyone
    Why? We don't export much to India and it is far poorer per head than we are so weakening immigration controls with them would see far more migration to the UK from India.

A deal with India would only be worth it if it greatly expanded our exports to India without compromising our points based migration system for Indian migrants
    I thought that the idea was that Brexit would open trade deals across the world, which India is one, but also helps with our application to join the TPPA but if you are now twisting and turning on this deal, the question many will have is what is the point of leaving the EU in the first place
    Many of us have wondered long and hard about that for many a year.
    It seems the Brexit coalition falls apart the moment any practical, important, real world choices need to be made.
    Hence black passports. And a crown on a glass no one noticed had ever gone.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Scott_xP said:
    Red Wall discovers it has been well and truly conned by a liar.

It was bound to happen. I did not expect so soon.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Genuine question for anyone who knows Red Wall seats well. How do you think the news the government may allow greater immigration from India under trade negotiations with that country will be viewed in these constituencies? A welcome strengthening of our links with the Commonwealth, or not the Brexit they voted for?

A trade deal with India is worth having and Truss has already agreed some immigration with Australia

Sadly we still have an element in the party who hate immigration and they are wrong

Is it? What would we actually sell to them that we can’t already and at what cost to what section of our economy?
    Let's wait the details but to reject any idea of some immigration from an Indian trade deal is hypocrisy when it has already happened with Australia

Just @HYUFD utter disdain for Truss on display here
    Australia had a higher gdp per capita than we do and far fewer people than India. Totally different. Singapore equally has a higher gdp per capita so no problem there. However the redwall did not vote to replace free movement from Eastern Europe with free movement from India
    You don't speak for the redwall. You voted Remain. You were more than willing to ignore their views and wishes when it suited you so you don't get to try and claim them to support your extremist position now.

You certainly don't speak for the Redwall. You used anti immigration rhetoric to get a majority for Leave from the working class in the redwall without which your side would have lost the referendum.

I always respected the Leave vote after the referendum result. I never used the working class for my own ends then tried to throw them and what they wanted under a bus like you and your fellow extreme libertarian Leavers
    As some-one posted earlier today, I think, the Leave vote consisted of some people who thought the EU was too protectionist, and some people who thought the EU was too globalist. Together they formed a Leave majority.
    But you can't satisfy both camps.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 40% (+3)
    CON: 35% (-2)
    LDM: 10% (=)

Via @DeltapollUK, 23-30 Dec.
    Changes w/ 2-4 Dec.

After all that only a 5% Labour poll lead is not that bad for Boris. I was expecting Labour to be over 10% ahead
    It's a Goldilocks poll for Starmer. Any worse, and he would be in danger of removal; any better, and Johnson would.

As it is, Starmer consolidates whlist the Conservatives are stuck for the time being with a loser.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 2-4 Dec.

After all that only a 5% poll lead is not that bad for Boris. I was expecting Labour to be over 10% ahead
    This is the real killer

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1477398022065688583?t=YGf_4DBQt1j1-LEbfDcwbQ&s=19
    Most of those seats voted for Brown and Ed Miliband and Corbyn in 2017
    Boris last remaining supporter desperately trying to justify the unjustifiable
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,878

BigRich said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt for @FrancisUrquhart

"Something is definitely up. As you say the most logical is its Omicron and so have gone Wuhan+++ lockdown."

+++++

A lockdown which might not work against Mighty Omicron, despite being maybe the tightest quarantine in human history. It bears some thinking about: 13 million people are right now locked down, stuck indoors, and only one person is allowed out, once, every three days, to collect food

That is fucking horrible, those poor people

Xi'an is also, AIUI, a major centre of chip manufacture. This will have a global impact if it continues, and God knows what will happen if it spreads to the rest of China

Meanwhile, what will Beijing do if lockdown DOESN'T work against Omicron? Where do they go then? Just let it sweep the country?!

Extreme lockdowns will work, because it is far from impossible to push R down to below 1 (at massive cost). Ultimately, you can only leave the house once a week to get food. You wear an N95 mask whenever you are out the house. You do not go into the shop, you dial in your order and you pick it up outside.

People in essential jobs - as much as possible - wear HazMat suits.

In that way you *can* get R down below 1. But the problem is that it might take you months to drive cases down to negligible levels. And then when you open up, unless you've got them to zero, you're going to see them spike up again.

(And yes, X'ian has two absolutely massive semiconductor fabrication plants.)
    The last time I looked, the reports were the workers at those factories where given very special exemptions as "key workers". If they shut those down, then you definitely know they have big problemo.
    Then it may be time to worry

shanxi province xi'an city
    Hundreds of Samsung's workers are lining up to be sent off to covid quarantine camps at midnight.
    Samsung has a semiconductor factory in xi'an.
    2021.12.26 midnight
    https://samsung.com/semiconductor/about-us/manufacturing-centers/xian/

https://twitter.com/songpinganq/status/1475354664069697536?s=20

SamMobile
    @SamMobiles
    ·
    Dec 29, 2021
    Samsung cuts down chip production at its Xi’an plant in China:

https://twitter.com/SamMobiles/status/1476227030542954507?s=20
    "Authorities are sealing people's windows to ensure the airborne covid can't escape from people's apartments."
    IF they do seal up the windows with tape to make it airtight, will the oxygen not eventually run out and the people inside die? or am I missing something?
    Well in Wuhan they welded doors shut and errhhhh well erhhhh.....now they are just chaining them shut instead.
    No, they are back to welding them shut again. IF this video is real (Chinese media are, ironically, claiming there is a lot of Fake News on social media, to blacken China's name! How awful!)

So: caveat emptor

"Chinese officials welding the doors of buildings shut again as thousands of health officials are arriving and Xi'an city locks down amid community transmission of Hemorrhagic Fever.
    2022 is going to be wild"

https://twitter.com/59dallas/status/1476561426940579849?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Boris down to I supporter at this rate

Step forward @HYUFD
    Personality changes are not the issue.

No more restrictions for the vaccinated and no open border immigration are
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 2-4 Dec.

After all that only a 5% poll lead is not that bad for Boris. I was expecting Labour to be over 10% ahead
    This is the real killer

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1477398022065688583?t=YGf_4DBQt1j1-LEbfDcwbQ&s=19
    Panic will be setting in on Tory MP WhatsApp tonight me thinks.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    Scott_xP said:
    Maybe we should have a referendum on complusory vaccinations:

"Do you support complusory vaccinations
    Yes 57%
    No 31% "
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt for @FrancisUrquhart

"Something is definitely up. As you say the most logical is its Omicron and so have gone Wuhan+++ lockdown."

+++++

A lockdown which might not work against Mighty Omicron, despite being maybe the tightest quarantine in human history. It bears some thinking about: 13 million people are right now locked down, stuck indoors, and only one person is allowed out, once, every three days, to collect food

Xi'an is also, AIUI, a major centre of chip manufacture. This will have a global impact if it continues, and God knows what will happen if it spreads to the rest of China

Meanwhile, what will Beijing do if lockdown DOESN'T work against Omicron? Where do they go then? Just let it sweep the country?!

Extreme lockdowns will work, because it is far from impossible to push R down to below 1 (at massive cost). Ultimately, you can only leave the house once a week to get food. You wear an N95 mask whenever you are out the house. You do not go into the shop, you dial in your order and you pick it up outside.

In that way you *can* get R down below 1. But the problem is that it might take you months to drive cases down to negligible levels. And then when you open up, unless you've got them to zero, you're going to see them spike up again.

The last time I looked, the reports were the workers at those factories where given very special exemptions as "key workers". If they shut those down, then you definitely know they have big problemo.

Hundreds of Samsung's workers are lining up to be sent off to covid quarantine camps at midnight.
    2021.12.26 midnight

SamMobile
    @SamMobiles
    ·
    Dec 29, 2021

"Authorities are sealing people's windows to ensure the airborne covid can't escape from people's apartments."
    I find it staggering that a country as technologically advanced as China now is could have produced such ineffectual vaccines, if that really is true. What was the process behind that ?
    Because mRNA vaccines are extremely new and very tricky to scale. And then they rushed their vaccine because they wanted to deploy soft power, same as Russia.
    But AstraZeneca, and some others, aren't mRNA, no ?
    None of the Chinese vaccines are mRNA. They are either inactivated virus or protein sub-unit vaccines, AIUI.

Edit. Convidecia is a viral vector vaccine like AZ and J&J
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Is it? What would we actually sell to them that we can’t already and at what cost to what section of our economy?
    Let's wait the details but to reject any idea of some immigration from an Indian trade deal is hypocrisy when it has already happened with Australia

Australia had a higher gdp per capita than we do and far fewer people than India. Totally different. Singapore equally has a higher gdp per capita so no problem there. However the redwall did not vote to replace free movement from Eastern Europe with free movement from India
    You don't speak for the redwall. You voted Remain. You were more than willing to ignore their views and wishes when it suited you so you don't get to try and claim them to support your extremist position now.

You certainly don't speak for the Redwall. You used anti immigration rhetoric to get a majority for Leave from the working class in the redwall without which your side would have lost the referendum.

I always respected the Leave vote after the referendum result. I never used the working class for my own ends then tried to throw them and what they wanted under a bus like you and your fellow extreme libertarian Leavers
    As some-one posted earlier today, I think, the Leave vote consisted of some people who thought the EU was too protectionist, and some people who thought the EU was too globalist. Together they formed a Leave majority.

There was a sizable chunk for whom life has been shit, so all the talk of well we will be x% worse of if we leave, looked and around and went how much shitter can it get, what have I got to lose. All the talk of loss of ability to study via Erasmus or fancy cheese being exported or ability to buy a nice villa in Spain and live there many months of the year, that didn't apply to them, so as a scare tactic totally ineffective.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    dixiedean said:

It seems the Brexit coalition falls apart the moment any practical, important, real world choices need to be made.

Which is why the Brexiteers refused to answer any of the critical questions before, during and indeed since the vote.

Hiding in a fridge, for example...

Brexit can be anything you want, until you actually want it to happen...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Tony is pleased with the honour, though he spurned a nighthood in Balmoral iirc.
  • Options

Some will see an opportunity...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

Boris has been found out big time, and for one who is throwing polls at everyone quote me any positive from the mail on sunday
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

That's how Oppositions tend to work.

A bit like how pre-2010 the Lib Dems appealed to the left by saying vote for them to vote against the Tories, and the right by saying vote for them to vote against Labour.

The problem with the Lib Dems in office is they then satisfied neither group. They told the left they're willing to get into bed with the Tories losing left-leaning seats to Labour, but then tried to distance themselves from the Tories and so people in right-leaning seats went to the Tories. Had they stuck to one side they may have kept half their seats, but they didn't so they were basically wiped out.

The Government can't be an Opposition. Its not possible to keep the two sides on board together, the Government needs to take a stance and stand by it then be held to account for its actions.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"Xi'an, what are you doing?!" An outpouring of anger and disbelief on Weibo this sleepless night as residents from a covid affected community, including seniors and small kids, were suddenly relocated to a bleak quarantine location without any supplies."

Is China losing control?

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1477396937729007622?s=20

Omicron is the CCP's worst nightmare. Something they cannot control.
    Yes. The CCP looks serenely secure and masterly, controlling Covid with an iron fist, blah blah

But all police states look totally secure, until they suddenly don't, and then they can fall quite quickly

That said I am unconvinced this will topple Xi. The Chinese have gotten rich quick and very many will still be grateful....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

The latter was the majority of the Leave vote however
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Sajid Javid: We must live with Covid

He's meant to be pro-lockdown, so that's a good sign

And of course he is right. All the models said that if we wanted to impose even a halfway effective lockdown we had to do it by December 31st at the latest

It's Jan 1, 2022. It is now too late. We must endure
    What are the odds that having said that in their prior models, the new models presented on 4 January say that we must lockdown now and its not too late. 🙄

They're so predictable.
    And so are you. Whatever evidence is presented, your answer will always be that your personal freedom is more valuable than any number of lives.
    Yes I will, its a point of principle for me. I'm not trying to twist the evidence to force it to suit my aims, I literally don't care what the "evidence" says.

Where do you draw the line.

Would you imprison a suspected killer without any evidence in order to save lives?
    Would you imprison an innocent person if it would save others lives?

I wouldn't. I regret accepting lockdown last year and I certainly can't accept it post-vaccines.
    Then you are an extremist. As bad - if not worse - than the 'lockdown zealots' you decry. Different sides of the same Roman toilet sponge.

I know you don't see it that way, but your entire view on this is extremist. For instance your (*) view that no-one ever had any life under lockdown.

(*) Under your previous iteration
    That's ridiculous, there's no both sides to this. This is like people trying to say there's two sides to the climate change discussion. There aren't.

COVID is now a personal risk, it's up to individuals to get vaccinated and reduce their risk of hospitalisation and death. Our freedoms cannot be curtailed to prevent the deaths of those who chose not to get vaccinated. There's no argument you can make on "deaths" wrt lockdowns. There's a possible one on healthcare capacity in the short term but not on deaths. We've all had the chance to be vaccinated and to get boosters. You may be ok to lockdown to protect stupid people from their poor decisions, that's your personal choice, trying to impose that on the rest of us is ridiculous.

Ultimately, we don't lockdown or curtail freedoms to protect people from dying of the flu and for a triple jabbed person this is not even as deadly as the flu.
    It isn't ridiculous. Lockdowns are a tool in the toolbox to deal with Covid. Blankly saying they should not be used under any circumstances is the ridiculous comment - and not one I believe you've made.

And the point you're missing is that it isn't just the deaths of those who chose not to get vaccinated. It's all of us. Heaven forfend, if you have a heart attack whilst out with your mates at the pub, or I'd got hit by a lorry whilst running earlier, we'd hope for excellent treatment in hospital. We won't get those things if the hospital system collapses.

I'm not calling for a lockdown. I am saying that lockdowns should remain in our arsenal for dealing with it. Hopefully they will not be required.
    If you have a heart attack then the NHS should triage and prioritise that. Putting investment into the NHS or having proper triage is an acceptable way to run the system, locking down the innocent in order to protect antivaxxers from the consequences of their choices is not.
    You really don't live in the real world.
    The NHS has previously rationed or triaged pretty harshly. Doing it for COVID would not be anything new. You need to let go of the idea that we can eliminate or halt COVID or prevent anyone from dying of it. We can minimise the risks with vaccines and hopefully anti-virals pretty soon. Beyond that if people refuse vaccines the consequence of that is a high risk of death. Let them live with their stupid decisions.
    The issue is capacity management

Let’s say that you have 5 spare icu beds. Over the following week there are 5 unvaxxed covid patients who need them. Do you leave them empty?

If not and then a cardiac patient comes in needing one do you kick a covid patient out?

I’m not sure it is feasible (or ethical) to do either of those

The only point triage is possible is if there is one empty bed with simultaneous demand from unvaxxed covid vs another allowing you to make a choice
    You do it with QALYs, push up the value of COVID healthcare provision for unvaccinated COVID patients. It would push the balance of something like that to not bothering for older vaccine refusers which would keep resources available for non-COVID care.
    That becomes an ethical issue.

You are saying “I have spare capacity but I am not going to treat you. You may die as a result”

I will let @Foxy comment, but I suspect most doctors would struggle with that

A fair percentage of the unvaxxed are mentally ill, others just fearful of anything during pregnancy, others regret their choice immediately. It is not ethical to refuse them treatment. Decisions made for treatment are based on algorithms of who will most likely survive and make a good recovery.
    Agreed - I’ve not seen any data that suggests unvaccinated have poorer treatment prognosis (although I haven’t looked). Have you?
    No, though it wouldn't surprise me if being unvaxxed also emerged as an adverse prognostic factor. After all they do have less in the way of protective immunity.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Eabhal said:

We can't restrict healthcare for the unvaxxed - cannot put doctors in that position.

But we must hit them everywhere else; freedoms, taxes, bureaucracy. I won't abide by restrictions unless we do.

Parliament won't vote for measures Draconian enough to bring the refusers to heel, and more tokenistic measures (vaxports, differential tax rates) are insufficient incentive and/or administratively impractical.

Besides, it is now too late. Omicron is going to scythe through many or most of the remaining unvaccinated before we have the chance to talk them round.

From where we are now, we either get an infection tsunami without more restrictions or an infection tsunami with more restrictions. The cases are inevitable.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

"Xi'an, what are you doing?!" An outpouring of anger and disbelief on Weibo this sleepless night as residents from a covid affected community, including seniors and small kids, were suddenly relocated to a bleak quarantine location without any supplies."

Is China losing control?

Yes. The CCP looks serenely secure and masterly, controlling Covid with an iron fist, blah blah

But all police states look totally secure, until they suddenly don't, and then they can fall quite quickly

That said I am unconvinced this will topple Xi. The Chinese have gotten rich quick and very many will still be grateful....
    They do have a number of other things going on e.g. the collapse of giant real estate companies, which is the only avenue most Chinese people have to invest their money.

I am sure they are very concerned a number of stars might align.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 2-4 Dec.

This is the real killer

I expect they will be receiving many calls to remove Boris asap
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

And of course he is right. All the models said that if we wanted to impose even a halfway effective lockdown we had to do it by December 31st at the latest

What are the odds that having said that in their prior models, the new models presented on 4 January say that we must lockdown now and its not too late. 🙄

They're so predictable.
    And so are you. Whatever evidence is presented, your answer will always be that your personal freedom is more valuable than any number of lives.
    Yes I will, its a point of principle for me. I'm not trying to twist the evidence to force it to suit my aims, I literally don't care what the "evidence" says.

Would you imprison a suspected killer without any evidence in order to save lives?

I wouldn't. I regret accepting lockdown last year and I certainly can't accept it post-vaccines.
    Then you are an extremist. As bad - if not worse - than the 'lockdown zealots' you decry. Different sides of the same Roman toilet sponge.

I know you don't see it that way, but your entire view on this is extremist. For instance your (*) view that no-one ever had any life under lockdown.

That's ridiculous, there's no both sides to this. This is like people trying to say there's two sides to the climate change discussion. There aren't.

COVID is now a personal risk, it's up to individuals to get vaccinated and reduce their risk of hospitalisation and death. Our freedoms cannot be curtailed to prevent the deaths of those who chose not to get vaccinated. There's no argument you can make on "deaths" wrt lockdowns. There's a possible one on healthcare capacity in the short term but not on deaths. We've all had the chance to be vaccinated and to get boosters. You may be ok to lockdown to protect stupid people from their poor decisions, that's your personal choice, trying to impose that on the rest of us is ridiculous.

Ultimately, we don't lockdown or curtail freedoms to protect people from dying of the flu and for a triple jabbed person this is not even as deadly as the flu.
    It isn't ridiculous. Lockdowns are a tool in the toolbox to deal with Covid. Blankly saying they should not be used under any circumstances is the ridiculous comment - and not one I believe you've made.

And the point you're missing is that it isn't just the deaths of those who chose not to get vaccinated. It's all of us. Heaven forfend, if you have a heart attack whilst out with your mates at the pub, or I'd got hit by a lorry whilst running earlier, we'd hope for excellent treatment in hospital. We won't get those things if the hospital system collapses.

I'm not calling for a lockdown. I am saying that lockdowns should remain in our arsenal for dealing with it. Hopefully they will not be required.
    If you have a heart attack then the NHS should triage and prioritise that. Putting investment into the NHS or having proper triage is an acceptable way to run the system, locking down the innocent in order to protect antivaxxers from the consequences of their choices is not.
    The NHS has previously rationed or triaged pretty harshly. Doing it for COVID would not be anything new. You need to let go of the idea that we can eliminate or halt COVID or prevent anyone from dying of it. We can minimise the risks with vaccines and hopefully anti-virals pretty soon. Beyond that if people refuse vaccines the consequence of that is a high risk of death. Let them live with their stupid decisions.

Let’s say that you have 5 spare icu beds. Over the following week there are 5 unvaxxed covid patients who need them. Do you leave them empty?

If not and then a cardiac patient comes in needing one do you kick a covid patient out?

The only point triage is possible is if there is one empty bed with simultaneous demand from unvaxxed covid vs another allowing you to make a choice
    You do it with QALYs, push up the value of COVID healthcare provision for unvaccinated COVID patients. It would push the balance of something like that to not bothering for older vaccine refusers which would keep resources available for non-COVID care.

You are saying “I have spare capacity but I am not going to treat you. You may die as a result”

Hard to square with the Hippocratic Oath.
    Yes but it's not really up to doctors is it? It's up to the people who pay them. Also hard to be impressed with a profession which hasn't moved beyond an ill informed prehistoric wazzock like Hippocrates when it comes to ethical thinking. This was a guy, one of whose saner theories was that the womb used to come adrift from its moorings and wander off round the body but could be tempted back to its proper location by burning incense just by the vagina.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

Boris has been found out big time, and for one who is throwing polls at everyone quote me any positive from the mail on sunday
    Even Ed Miliband and Neil Kinnock had bigger leads midterm than just 5%
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? We don't export much to India and it is far poorer per head than we are so weakening immigration controls with them would see far more migration to the UK from India.

A deal with India would only be worth it if it greatly expanded our exports to India without compromising our points based migration system for Indian migrants
    I thought that the idea was that Brexit would open trade deals across the world, which India is one, but also helps with our application to join the TPPA but if you are now twisting and turning on this deal, the question many will have is what is the point of leaving the EU in the first place
    Most people voted to leave the EU to regain sovereignty and end free movement, not for trade deals with India leading to free movement from India
    Nobody, literally nobody, is proposing free movement from India.

Easier while still controlled movement is an entirely different matter and quite reasonable - and its exactly what Vote Leave including especially Patel were advocating for in the Referendum.
    Where, anywhere did the Leave campaign promise easier movement of migrants to the UK?
    In its campaigning in areas like East London, where the message was that restricting the number of East Europeans who could come here would make it easier for Asian Brits’ families to come here.
  • Options
    What will No 10 do in response the apparent cratering collapse in polling?

I expect the NI rise to be ditched within weeks. Social care plans abandoned, as they appear to favour southern home owners. Action on energy costs: maybe drop VAT for a year or two? Reshuffle to bring in a couple of Red Wall 2019 MPs into Cabinet. Northern Powerhouse rail or whatever HS3 was called to be back being built again.

Any other ideas?
  • Options

I expect the NI rise to be ditched within weeks. Social care plans abandoned, as they appear to favour southern home owners. Action on energy costs: maybe drop VAT for a year or two? Reshuffle to bring in a couple of Red Wall 2019 MPs into Cabinet. Northern Powerhouse rail or whatever HS3 was called to be back being built again.

Any other ideas?

Sack Boris.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Is China losing control?

Yebbut if things get a bit fractious the leadership might create a major distraction by lashing out somewhere.

• Options

Any other ideas?

Sack Boris.....
    Or maybe a case of "Fuck business Boris!"

:innocent:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Any other ideas?

Ditch bozza. Get NutNut out.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Any other ideas?

Social care plans which hammer the bluewall would go down like a lead balloon with the Tory base.

HS2 was not what most redwall voters were desperate for either, more improvement of local public transport
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Is China losing control?

Yebbut if things get a bit fractious the leadership might create a major distraction by lashing out somewhere.

There is a little totally uninteresting island that I hear the Chinese seem to think is theirs.
  • Options
    Sunday Telegraph headline: "SOMETHING MUST BE DONE".

Not really. It is that kids will wear masks all day again in schools.

Haven't 90% of them had covid?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

That's correct.

It's nothing special for a Government to be five points down mid-term. The problem is more the trend and resurgence of support for the LDs. If that continued, it would be very bad for the Conservatives, but Red Wall alarm aside the poll doesn't suggest a removal of the PM is necessary, or likely.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Changes w/ 2-4 Dec.

This is the real killer

I expect they will be receiving many calls to remove Boris asap
    I think MPs will wait a few weeks to see what happens with Omicron, especially now that Boris stood firm against restrictions that is going to defang many of his critics who now have him on their side on that issue.

If anything I think Starmer, Sturgeon and Drakeford are ensuring Boris's survival. Ignoring Davey, because he's generally ignored by everyone, Boris is now the most liberal leader of any of the parties by far. He's providing genuinely different leadership to Sturgeon etc

If he continues to resist further restrictions the question may soon be why pubs, events etc are under such draconian restrictions in Wales and Scotland but not in England.

I've bet on Smarkets Tory poll lead in January market thanks to this. I think Sturgeon etc are ensuring there's a much greater than 20% chance of a Tory poll lead and if the polls do turn back around (and Boris gets credit for not locking us down more) then that's going to keep Boris safe in place at least until the May elections.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Most had Delta. My mates kid has just tested positive for the big O after having Delta not all that long ago.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

I genuinely feel sorry for you and your inability to see that which is staring you in the face
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt for @FrancisUrquhart

+++++

2021.12.26 midnight

SamMobile
    @SamMobiles
    ·
    Dec 29, 2021

IF they do seal up the windows with tape to make it airtight, will the oxygen not eventually run out and the people inside die? or am I missing something?
    Well in Wuhan they welded doors shut and errhhhh well erhhhh.....now they are just chaining them shut instead.
    No, they are back to welding them shut again. IF this video is real (Chinese media are, ironically, claiming there is a lot of Fake News on social media, to blacken China's name! How awful!)

So: caveat emptor

"Chinese officials welding the doors of buildings shut again as thousands of health officials are arriving and Xi'an city locks down amid community transmission of Hemorrhagic Fever.
    2022 is going to be wild"

https://twitter.com/59dallas/status/1476561426940579849?s=20
    Community transmission of aerolized VHF would be…fun
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Most people voted to leave the EU to regain sovereignty and end free movement, not for trade deals with India leading to free movement from India
    Nobody, literally nobody, is proposing free movement from India.

Easier while still controlled movement is an entirely different matter and quite reasonable - and its exactly what Vote Leave including especially Patel were advocating for in the Referendum.
    Where, anywhere did the Leave campaign promise easier movement of migrants to the UK?
    Priti Patel, for one;
    https://africanvoiceonline.co.uk/vote-leave-to-save-our-british-curry-industry-priti-patel/

Commenting, Priti Patel said: “Uncontrolled immigration from the EU has led to tougher controls on migrants from the rest of the world. This means that we cannot bring in the talents and the skills we need to support our economy while we remain tied into the EU. Curry houses are being hit particularly hard as they are finding it more difficult to bring in experienced chefs to cook great dishes and train the next generation of chefs. Our curry houses are becoming the victims of the EU’s uncontrolled immigration rules.” “By voting to leave the EU we can take back control of our immigration policies, save our curry houses and join the rest of the world.”

Regarding the current immigration system Priti Patel said: “Across the country when I visit Diaspora communities, I hear from numerous people of the struggles and problems they have encountered with the immigration system and rules they are subjected to. Temples and Gurdwaras have difficulties bringing priests in...

It's probably not what WWC voters voted Leave for, but it was part of the mosaic that added up to 52%. So who was fooling who?
    That could all be done with the points system we now have, not open door immigration from India
    Trouble is that some Leave voters very clearly heard "Brexit = fewer foreigners, especially from poor countries". Doesn't matter if they misheard, it is what they heard. Others very clearly heard "fewer Romanians, more Indians". Again, it doesn't matter if it wasn't really promised, or even if the promise was "we could choose to do all sorts of things once we have taken back control".

And unfortunately, the only advice I can give is "Don't try to win a vote by microtargeting contradictory promises at different voters. Because they will remember the promise you made to them, and they will be furious if they are the ones you let down, and no quibbling about technicalities will get you off the hook. (see Clegg 2010)."
  • Options

Any other ideas?

Sack Boris
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Any other ideas?

If it all goes down the pan rapidly for Johnson in the next couple of weeks I will claim full credit, having only this morning included his survival through the next 12 months in my 2022 predictions.

It would probably also be the time to get out of the stock market and into Bircoin on the same basis (though DYOR).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Any other ideas?

Social care plans which hammer the bluewall would go down like a lead balloon with the Tory base.

HS2 was not what most redwall voters were desperate for either, more improvement of local public transport
    I said HS3 which I think was a plan to build high speed rail from Hull to Liverpool via cities of the North.

• Options
    A thread by the Telegraph health dude

THREAD 1/10
    I'm sorry to say it on New Year's Day, but I think there is a serious chance now that the UK government's omicron gamble is about to go tits up....

https://twitter.com/PaulNuki/status/1477358070305071108?s=20

TL;DR: it's not very cheerful. About the best thing he says is that there's no point in new restrictions. The surge is now in the post. The next two weeks are gonna be rough
  • Options

Any other ideas?

Drop the NI rise and I'll become an enthusiastic supporter again. 👍 But I'm not expecting that to happen.

I expect action will be taking on energy bills, probably at least abolishing VAT on domestic energy bills (which was itself lets not forget a proposal by Vote Leave which would now be very politically convenient).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

I genuinely feel sorry for you and your inability to see that which is staring you in the face
    As opposed to your desire for open door immigration from India like Truss which really would put the Tories over 10% behind
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

fpt for @FrancisUrquhart

+++++

China's an odd one because its a country with a government powerful enough to enforce the most draconian restrictions - and a country with a government powerful enough to let it rip too.

If Omicron the Paper Tiger can't be contained via a tough lockdown then it won't surprise me if the Chinese go from one extreme to another and just let it rip rather than pratting around with restrictions to drag on the damage for months at a time.
    The problem for China is that even at a rate of 1/50 being hospitalised rather than 1/20 for Delta that's still a disaster. Chinese population immunity levels are disastrously low. It's a paper tiger here because for 35m or so people the hospitalisation rate is ~1/400 for a further 13m it's ~1/200 and for the rest pretty low because of age stratification in our vaccination programme. In China Omicron is a huge threat with how well it spreads despite the lower severity.
    Yes that's entirely true but my point was if there's one country that can allow the 'bodies to pile high' even with poor immunity and allow a brutal triage regime to be applied instead its China.

If they can purge this with zero Covid draconianism they might, but if they can't I wouldn't rule out "Plan B" being Triage instead of pratting around with restrictions that drag out the pain instead.
    When do the Winter Olympics start?
    Crumbs! 4th February!
    Mmmm... maybe not.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

A fair percentage of the unvaxxed are mentally ill, others just fearful of anything during pregnancy, others regret their choice immediately. It is not ethical to refuse them treatment. Decisions made for treatment are based on algorithms of who will most likely survive and make a good recovery.
    Agreed - I’ve not seen any data that suggests unvaccinated have poorer treatment prognosis (although I haven’t looked). Have you?
    No, though it wouldn't surprise me if being unvaxxed also emerged as an adverse prognostic factor. After all they do have less in the way of protective immunity.
    I thought US data was showing that in this wave (which in the US is still an omicron/delta mix) the unvaxxed were 4x more likely to get symptomatic COVID, but 10x more likely to require hospitalization and 10x more likely to die than the vaxxed.

Edit: and that the mechanism for the improved prognosis was the strength of the T-cell response across COVID strains.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

That went out years ago here, but the ethics remain unchanged.

Though part of the reluctance to redeploy is limited sympathy, though primarily it is fatigue, poor supervision on previous redeployment and wanting to do their usual work, which often has massive and growing backlogs.

2 million surgical opportunities have gone wasted in the last 2 years.

https://twitter.com/SurgeryTracker/status/1476612683831160839?t=ya8tbLnApDXrnhY5UGzXqg&s=19
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Any other ideas?

Possibly. I doubt it though this side of an election. We shall see. If May is a total and utter shellacking then maybe.

But I said what No 10 would do. Most of No 10 is Bozza's people - they are all out on their arse when Truss takes over.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hence Patel as Home Secretary is opposing vehemently any such policy. Truss is pushing it and she would go down like a lead balloon in the redwall.

Patel is the ultimate example of ‘pull up the ladder, Jack!’ And I’m sure the Red Wall would not be happy.

But if they were to swing away from the Tories, as a result of this policy, then one would have to have a heart of stone. Etc.
    Patel is in tune with the redwall and Tory membership on this not Truss. This would boost Patel's leadership chances
    Is that all that matters now? Winning the next Prime Ministerial handicap stakes.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I imagine on top of the scandals, there are a hell of a lot of people who are pretty damn grumpy at the moment. Its winter, been told to get jabbed, been told to get boostered and yet everybody and their dog is getting COVID, which means everybody in their household isolating etc. Few people like the idea of being stuck in their house for 7-10 days.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

I thought US data was showing that in this wave (which is the US is still an omicron/delta mix) the unvaxxed were 4x more likely to get symptomatic COVID, but 10x more likely to require hospitalization and 10x more likely to die than the vexed.
    Yes, that is all true.

What I am mooting is that of two hypothetically equally sick patients with similar risk factors the unvaxxed one may also do worse.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

Be challenging to hit statistical significance though in a real world study given the number of confounding factors
  • Options

the only advice I can give is "Don't try to win a vote by microtargeting contradictory promises at different voters. Because they will remember the promise you made to them, and they will be furious if they are the ones you let down, and no quibbling about technicalities will get you off the hook. (see Clegg 2010)."

Except the Brexiteers only needed to lie to the public "get lucky" once

The real tragedy is they didn't intend to actually win the vote.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793

Any other ideas?

I would guess some sort of focussed levelling up initiative is on the cards.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

Any other ideas?

Add - remove Johnson. A drag on the party now
  • Options
    The Sunday Times: NHS struggles as sickness takes out 1 in 10 staff #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1477405147517095938/photo/1
  • Options
    Remarkably bad polls for Johnson.

Preferred team:
    Johnson + Sunak 33
    Starmer + Reeves 40

Preferred PM
    Johnson 33
    Starmer 38

Do you trust Boris to...

...level up?
    Yes 25
    No 67

...obey the rules?
    Yes 25
    No 68

...tell the truth?
    Yes 22
    No 74 https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1477395359890649091
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Is China losing control?

They do have a number of other things going on e.g. the collapse of giant real estate companies, which is the only avenue most Chinese people have to invest their money.

I am sure they are very concerned a number of stars might align.
    It would be fecking ironic with knobs if the virus they almost certainly leaked by mistake from their own Frankenstein labs ends up ending the CCP.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

As opposed to your desire for open door immigration from India like Truss which really would put the Tories over 10% behind
    Your government's desire too surely?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/01/uk-ministers-eager-to-ease-immigration-rules-for-indian-citizens

I thought you were a loyal Tory?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

I am no fan of Truss, but a loosening of work visas does not constitute an open door. These things are rarely as absolutist as your thinking.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

Yes but it's not really up to doctors is it? It's up to the people who pay them. Also hard to be impressed with a profession which hasn't moved beyond an ill informed prehistoric wazzock like Hippocrates when it comes to ethical thinking. This was a guy, one of whose saner theories was that the womb used to come adrift from its moorings and wander off round the body but could be tempted back to its proper location by burning incense just by the vagina.
    To be fair that was probably just his excuse for getting up close and personal
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

I thought US data was showing that in this wave (which is the US is still an omicron/delta mix) the unvaxxed were 4x more likely to get symptomatic COVID, but 10x more likely to require hospitalization and 10x more likely to die than the vexed.
    Yes, that is all true.

What I am mooting is that of two hypothetically equally sick patients with similar risk factors the unvaxxed one may also do worse.
    Working purely from basic principles, I am not sure you can say that. If they are equally sick once the adaptive immune system has kicked in, their vaccine status is already baked in.
  • Options
    Leon said:

A thread by the Telegraph health dude

THREAD 1/10
    I'm sorry to say it on New Year's Day, but I think there is a serious chance now that the UK government's omicron gamble is about to go tits up....

https://twitter.com/PaulNuki/status/1477358070305071108?s=20

TL;DR: it's not very cheerful. About the best thing he says is that there's no point in new restrictions. The surge is now in the post. The next two weeks are gonna be rough

Even those figures show the boosters vastly reduce chances of hospitalisation
  • Options
    Paul Nuki
    @PaulNuki
    THREAD 1/10
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

I did not say open door, you did, and controlled immigration from Australia has already been agreed and Patel has supported controlled immigration from India previously

And by the way the conservatives are 16% behind in the red wall and looking at analiation
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Any other ideas?

I said HS3 which I think was a plan to build high speed rail from Hull to Liverpool via cities of the North.

There is still not a single Tory MP in Hull or Liverpool or indeed most Northern cities.

Most redwall MPs are in ex industrial towns
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The Sunday Times: NHS struggles as sickness takes out 1 in 10 staff #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1477405147517095938/photo/1

"sickness" or isolation? The two are not the same thing.

I'm currently isolating because I have what could best be described as "manflu" in any normal year. I would never have taken 7 or 10 days off work in the past for this. Indeed given my current symptoms I'd have taken 48 hours off based on symptoms instead of a line on a test.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

the only advice I can give is "Don't try to win a vote by microtargeting contradictory promises at different voters. Because they will remember the promise you made to them, and they will be furious if they are the ones you let down, and no quibbling about technicalities will get you off the hook. (see Clegg 2010)."

Stop whining. You live in a democracy. You are free to campaign for a Rejoin referendum, and then win it

That's what eurosceptics did, and it took them 40 years because idiot europhiles kept promising a vote, then taking it away, which, in the end, is why you lost. That's the irony, or the tragedy - whichever you prefer
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If they haven't already had it they soon will.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/01/uk-ministers-eager-to-ease-immigration-rules-for-indian-citizens

No Patel is leading Tory opposition in Cabinet to this, Truss is pushing it, the Cabinet is divided on it
  • Options

I imagine on top of the scandals, there are a hell of a lot of people who are pretty damn grumpy at the moment. Its winter, been told to get jabbed, been told to get boostered and yet everybody and their dog is getting COVID, which means everybody in their household isolating etc. Few people like the idea of being stuck in their house for 7-10 days.

Yes. And what people heard for the past year was our world beating vaccine programme was an end to COVID.
    Yet every bugger and their aunt has had it in the past 3 weeks, or has it now, or will have it in January.
    That has not passed unnoticed.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I see the temporary tented Covid morgues/ICUs in hospital car parks are going to be called "Boris Wards"

That should boost his polling?

I am not joking. That's what they are calling them

"Hey son, I'm off to the Boris Ward!"

"Great Dad, can I have the car and your wine?"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

I did not say open door, you did, and controlled immigration from Australia has already been agreed and Patel has supported controlled immigration from India previously

And by the way the conservatives are 16% behind in the red wall and looking at analiation
    No, they are 5% behind overall.

The Tories could still lose the redwall and even win a small majority as Cameron did in 2015
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That was a bit careless of them, wasn't it? And whilst BoJo clearly didn't intend to win, plenty of those below him have been true believers all along.

It's a bit odd though; despite the awful warning of what happened to Clegg, the monster campaigning brains in VL decided to go for an online version of the sort of campaign that Focus Teams were doing in the 1970's and In Touch Teams in the 1980's. Tell us your personal grumble and we'll promise to sort it...
  • Options
    darkage said:

Any other ideas?

Once they work out what it means perhaps.
    However. They are in the hands of Brittania Unchained Cabinet ministers and the ERG.
    Who won't pay for anything.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes. And what people heard for the past year was our world beating vaccine programme was an end to COVID.
    Yet every bugger and their aunt has had it in the past 3 weeks, or has it now, or will have it in January.
    How many have had it and been seriously ill ending in hospital or death?

And how many have had it as a cough, cold or manflu? That we have every winter in normal circumstances anyway?

The vaccine making the virus another common cold is the vaccine working and time to abolish all restrictions that don't apply to any other common cold virus.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I see the temporary tented Covid morgues/ICUs in hospital car parks are going to be called "Boris Wards"

Telegraph are calling them that.

The Telegraph. Like the Boris house bible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

The Tories could still lose the redwall and even win a small majority as Cameron did in 2015
    They would lose 100 seats on this poll and to try to contradict polling from you is bizarre
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

Be challenging to hit statistical significance though in a real world study given the number of confounding factors
    Why "challenging"? In a "real world" study, as per the recent Scottish one, there is no dearth of degrees of freedom given the number of cases.

• Options
    Leon said:

Where are you getting this from?

NHS plans new Nightingale facilities in response to Omicron
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/12/nhs-plans-new-nightingale-facilities-in-response-to-omicron/
  • Options

Leon said:

They should call the cheap cardboard coffins we will inevitably be using in about 3 weeks the "Boris Box"

"I'm getting my Boris Box tomorrow! Funeral on Friday"
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

They would lose 100 seats on this poll and to try to contradict polling from you is bizarre
    Cameron and John Major were often further behind midterm than Boris is now, both were re elected in 2015 and 1992
  • Options

Leon said:

I thought even the Telegraph were off the bus now?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Remarkably bad polls for Johnson.

Preferred team:
    Johnson + Sunak 33
    Starmer + Reeves 40

Preferred PM
    Johnson 33
    Starmer 38

Do you trust Boris to...

...level up?
    Yes 25
    No 67

...obey the rules?
    Yes 25
    No 68

...tell the truth?
    Yes 22
    No 74 https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1477395359890649091

25% trust Boris to obey the rules?

Are they on drugs?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

No Patel is leading Tory opposition in Cabinet to this, Truss is pushing it, the Cabinet is divided on it
    Please provide your link to the cabinet divide
  • Options

Leon said:

Where are you getting this from?

NHS plans new Nightingale facilities in response to Omicron
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/12/nhs-plans-new-nightingale-facilities-in-response-to-omicron/
    https://twitter.com/AlgeMartin/status/1477407537234432011?s=20

Love the phrase "soft shell body storage solutions"

• Options
    🚜 Farmers will be given funds to restore natural habitats and rewild Britain under new government schemes designed to replace EU subsidies

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/01/farmers-get-funds-restore-natural-habitats-rewild-britain-new/

Oh, dear. I wonder who is going to tell the headbangers...

Let’s make 2022 the year to grow more of our own food and produce more of our goods. Government needs to use Brexit freedoms to make that easier and to buy British itself.
    https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1477181474545799170
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    dixiedean said:

But very, very few have died. Or even got unpleasantly ill.

Except by the dumb fucks who won't get jabbed.
  • Options

Paul Nuki
    @PaulNuki
    THREAD 1/10

Nuki nukes the punt.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,793
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt for @FrancisUrquhart

+++++

2021.12.26 midnight

SamMobile
    @SamMobiles
    ·
    Dec 29, 2021

The dystopian Wuhan-type videos are back, as well

"But there was also this video of a resident being beaten by anti-epidemic workers after he allegedly left his community to get steamed buns because he was so hungry. The two community workers have reportedly been detained by Xi'an police."

"It’s been 10 days since the lockdown, and I don't receive any relief of any sort (luckily we don't need one atm). There's nothing but anger, anxiety, despair, and fear from the original Weibo comment sections of all the videos in the thread - like a retrospective of Wuhan 2020."

"In light of Xi'an lockdown, some people in Shajing Village are really struggling. Endless lines for steamed buns, hungry people & those who've had nothing but noodles for 8 days straight: "When will we get food? Everyone in the house is hungry. We can only ask for help on Weibo.""

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1477353707364921345?s=20

This is CHINESE social media reporting despair and fear. Hmm

2022 is off to a cracking start!
    Could be existential for the state if it gathers momentum and spreads.

Yes. There is a huge, visceral and entirely understandable fear about famine in China. Fear of starvation was the reason for their insane, self-harming "one child" policy.

Millions of Chinese have died of hunger within living memory

If the people get the sense that the Party cannot feed them, then all bets are off, and Xi is in deep shit
    Ultimately to answer that you would need to look in to rice and other types of food production. It seems like the lockdowns and various other covid related panics, such that we hear about, are confined to urban areas; the fates of the affected are closely tied up with the CCP.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599

dixiedean said:

And how many have had it as a cough, cold or manflu? That we have every winter in normal circumstances anyway?

The vaccine making the virus another common cold is the vaccine working and time to abolish all restrictions that don't apply to any other common cold virus.
    "Cholera is nothing to worry about because for some folk it's just a morning after a vindaloo."
  • Options
    darkage said:

Any other ideas?

iirg Gove's white paper on levelling up was kicked back into the long grass as it was vacuous long term waffle.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚜 Farmers will be given funds to restore natural habitats and rewild Britain under new government schemes designed to replace EU subsidies

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/01/farmers-get-funds-restore-natural-habitats-rewild-britain-new/

Oh, dear. I wonder who is going to tell the headbangers...

Let’s make 2022 the year to grow more of our own food and produce more of our goods. Government needs to use Brexit freedoms to make that easier and to buy British itself.
    https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1477181474545799170

Actually that could be quite popular
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,474

Paul Nuki
    @PaulNuki
    THREAD 1/10

Based on?
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    7m
    Replying to
    @andrew_lilico
    On 5-Dec there were 1,019 cases amongst the over-65s. Even on 22-Dec that had risen only to ~6,200 cases. On 29-Dec there were ~17,000 cases amongst the over-65s - presumably most of which which were from infections caught literally at Christmas.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rishi for PM ASAP

This cannot go on

Step forward @HYUFD

Of course they are

Please provide your link to the cabinet divide
    Read the article, not difficult
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

FPT

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They're so predictable.

Why "challenging"? In a "real world" study, as per the recent Scottish one, there is no dearth of degrees of freedom given the number of cases.

Real world studies are a nightmare in their own right. Then you need to control for genetics, background health and a whole bunch of other stuff to prove statistically that vaccine status is a driver of outcomes
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

"Cholera is nothing to worry about because for some folk it's just a morning after a vindaloo."
    Cholera isn't something to lockdown modern society over, nor is the newly common cold.

What proportion of triple-vaccinated people getting Omicron are getting anything more severe than manflu?
  • Options

Actually that could be quite popular

It will be popular with the chatterati, until we run out of food...

I don't remember the Brexit advert that said "We will use British taxpayer money to pay British farmers not to grow food", and the headbangers are certainly not on board with it...
This discussion has been closed.