Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the Johnson exit betting the money’s going on 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

Mind you 2021 can be backed at 90 on betfair, might have a tenner. 10 days is a long time in politics

Check the rules. Are you betting on when Boris announces he will step down, or is it when he is formally replaced? Then add a fudge factor because Betfair could settle it based on what colour tie he is wearing; Betfair has form!
    At odds of 90 or even 200 on betfair laying 2021 makes sense. The only way Boris leaves office in 2021 is via a fatal heart attack.
    He's a fat muscular old fck, with Xmas dinner to come. I wouldn't be laying the heart attack.
    Genes tho. His dad, who he increasingly resembles, is still hale and hearty and tippling wine and slapping female arses in his early 80s. They both have that stocky, enduring, prop forward physique. It can take a lot of punishment
    Thank God there is no question of heavy cocaine use, that can really fck your heart.
    I have no personal knowledge of this, but I would lay odds that Boris does not do a lot of ‘ooter
    Petronella in the speccie says Carrie and cohort party like fck in no 10 while Bojo is the grumpy old man in the corner. My guess is it gets pressed on him.
    Yes, I believe all that, and I believe he refuses the chang

More wine? Sure

There are few 50-somethings who actively enjoy cocaine
    Tbh, there's not a lot of 30 somethings that do either. At least judging by my own friends who are all mid or late 30s, I think we're more likely to go down the party drug route like mandy or 2cp rather than something that just makes everyone cunty like coke.

The other thing that's been putting people off is the reports that party drugs are being laced with fentanyl to get people addicted. The guy we bought from has ended up in jail and now we don't have anyone who we trust to not fuck us over. We really need to legalise it.
    Or you could just try not taking drugs?
    Why?
    You said that you are concerned about the stuff being spiked with something nasty. The way to eliminate the risk is abstinence.

Just like the way to avoid pregnancy is abstinence?
    Is that you, Boris? :lol:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

Mind you 2021 can be backed at 90 on betfair, might have a tenner. 10 days is a long time in politics

Check the rules. Are you betting on when Boris announces he will step down, or is it when he is formally replaced? Then add a fudge factor because Betfair could settle it based on what colour tie he is wearing; Betfair has form!
    At odds of 90 or even 200 on betfair laying 2021 makes sense. The only way Boris leaves office in 2021 is via a fatal heart attack.
    He's a fat muscular old fck, with Xmas dinner to come. I wouldn't be laying the heart attack.
    Genes tho. His dad, who he increasingly resembles, is still hale and hearty and tippling wine and slapping female arses in his early 80s. They both have that stocky, enduring, prop forward physique. It can take a lot of punishment
    Thank God there is no question of heavy cocaine use, that can really fck your heart.
    I have no personal knowledge of this, but I would lay odds that Boris does not do a lot of ‘ooter
    Petronella in the speccie says Carrie and cohort party like fck in no 10 while Bojo is the grumpy old man in the corner. My guess is it gets pressed on him.

More wine? Sure

Tbh, there's not a lot of 30 somethings that do either. At least judging by my own friends who are all mid or late 30s, I think we're more likely to go down the party drug route like mandy or 2cp rather than something that just makes everyone cunty like coke.

The other thing that's been putting people off is the reports that party drugs are being laced with fentanyl to get people addicted. The guy we bought from has ended up in jail and now we don't have anyone who we trust to not fuck us over. We really need to legalise it.
    Why?
    You said that you are concerned about the stuff being spiked with something nasty. The way to eliminate the risk is abstinence.

Or buy from a legal source, as though we have stopped since our trusted dealer wound up in jail.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    https://tass.com/world/1372047

Putin on Omicron:
    "They say it is not as harmful as it seems, some experts even call it 'live vaccination',"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

Totally puzzled by the respect for Jeremy Junior-Doctors / Pandemic-Preparedness-Plan Hunt.

Also he comes across as a weirdo on camera.

He has no chance at all. If he makes the final two he will handily lose to whoever he faces. He won’t make the final two.

He made the final two last time.

He mismanaged the junior doctors strike, but was smart enough to learn his lesson and kicked the Consultant contract into the long grass.

One of the legacies of that strike is a contract so Byzantine in terms of what is permitted to keep below the limits on hours that any Omicron absences are going to be very hard to cover in the next few weeks.

Over all though he wasn't a bad Heath Secretary. There have been a dozen worse in my lifetime.

Remember though that Health is a career ending cabinet job. None has gone on to be PM since the NHS started.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

A lot of liberals find the ruthlessness that Tories display towards their leaders unseemly. Personally I think it's one of their redeeming qualities. They don't muck about. None of the sentimentality of Labour. The country (party?) always comes before any one individual.

You were right second time. Party!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do anything that's bad for me.
    Whyever not?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

You're a lockdown guy, right?
  • Options
    BREAKING: Israel to offer 4th dose of COVID-19 vaccine to people over the age of 60
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Fentanyl is fucking lovely stuff, though. That is not a stab at edginess, I get it off the NHS while they are sticking cameras up my arse. Mad for it I am.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Totally puzzled by the respect for Jeremy Junior-Doctors / Pandemic-Preparedness-Plan Hunt.

He has no chance at all. If he makes the final two he will handily lose to whoever he faces. He won’t make the final two.

He mismanaged the junior doctors strike, but was smart enough to learn his lesson and kicked the Consultant contract into the long grass.

One of the legacies of that strike is a contract so Byzantine in terms of what is permitted to keep below the limits on hours that any Omicron absences are going to be very hard to cover in the next few weeks.

Over all though he wasn't a bad Heath Secretary. There have been a dozen worse in my lifetime.

Remember though that Health is a career ending cabinet job. None has gone on to be PM since the NHS started.
    He made the last two last time due to tactical voting. He’ll be back in Cabinet I expect, if he’s prepared to accept a job other than Chancellor of Foreign Sec.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

I think it a reflection on Johnson that someone as historically inept as Hunt is now seen as a safe pair of hands. He is quite dull too. He was in the seat Infront of me on an ANA flight from Tokyo whilst still FS.

P.S. A man of the people, he and his family flew in the back with the hoi poloi.
  • Options
    She is not

Dana (Not Scully)
    @telefeminism
    I’m flying today but I’m not fucking around with Omicron.
    Pfizer x 3
    Negative rapid test
    Natural immunity
    N95 sealed to my face with surgical tape
    Secondary mask for displaying opinions
    Face shield
    Vinyl gloves
    Touchscreen gloves
    Shitton of Xanax

https://twitter.com/telefeminism/status/1473310212249554946
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Fentanyl is fucking lovely stuff, though. That is not a stab at edginess, I get it off the NHS while they are sticking cameras up my arse. Mad for it I am.
    Pretty tight dosage range before overdose though.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

She is not

Dana (Not Scully)
    @telefeminism
    Pfizer x 3
    Negative rapid test
    Natural immunity
    Face shield
    Vinyl gloves
    Touchscreen gloves
    Shitton of Xanax

and no parachute. Unless by flying she meant something she got off IshmaelZ
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Pretty tight dosage range before overdose though.
    RIP Prince, but I do trust the nhs to get it right.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    Foxy said:

That's an interesting little fact. I know it's the sort of pattern that's begging to be broken as soon as it's noticed, but interesting how it applies to the current contenders.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

Speaking purely hypothetically, I cannot see Carrie absolutely battering the chang and then coming up with policies like "let's save a load of dogs and cats from Kabul."

Mandy? Yes. Wizz? Well, it can give you a bee in your bonnet about stuff.

Animal rescue policy made in the afterglow of an acid trip? Quite possibly. And look at that taste in decor. It screams comfy corner to K-hole in.

But I cannot imagine Downing Street to be wall to wall nose candy. Unless Gove shows up of course, then all bets are off ;)
    The dog and cat thing was because she is a brainless racist cnt. Hitler did meth, but that isn't what made him Hitler.
    I’m now interpreting all your posting through the lexicon of Hunter S Thompson.

I do like your posts though Z.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

Just like the way to avoid pregnancy is abstinence?
    Unless your name is Mary.
  • Options

Foxy said:

That's an interesting little fact. I know it's the sort of pattern that's begging to be broken as soon as it's noticed, but interesting how it applies to the current contenders.
    Yes, @ydoethur has agreed, the last Minister of Health to get the top job was Neville Chamberlain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

Before vaccines came along I was very much in favour of strong preventative measures. These days, I think we should trust in the efficacy of the vaccines.

How we deal with the anti-vaxxers is another matter. Either lock them down or dart guns.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

I had that done once, but they never invited me to make a series.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

Before vaccines came along I was very much in favour of strong preventative measures. These days, I think we should trust in the efficacy of the vaccines.

How we deal with the anti-vaxxers is another matter. Either lock them down or dart guns.
    I like that idea of dart guns. What about a bounty on the most evasive?

What price @Dura_Ace ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

I think it a reflection on Johnson that someone as historically inept as Hunt is now seen as a safe pair of hands. He is quite dull too. He was in the seat Infront of me on an ANA flight from Tokyo whilst still FS.

P.S. A man of the people, he and his family flew in the back with the hoi poloi.
    I don't think him that inept, indeed he was our best Foreign Secretary in a very long time.
  • Options
    OK, so many years ago, there was either an advert or a trailer for a TV program, featuring a Scottish footy manager who said, "I don't drink, I don't smoke. I don't do anything that's bad for me." But I can't remember who it was!
  • Options
    I just made an incredible "authentic" bolognese, it is the best I've ever tasted outside of Italy
  • Options

I just made an incredible "authentic" bolognese, it is the best I've ever tasted outside of Italy

Ooh well done, which recipe?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

I don't think him that inept, indeed he was our best Foreign Secretary in a very long time.
    Better than Bozo and Raaaab? A high bar indeed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Pulp Fiction ... when they shot the pilot they found a stage 3 and a bit out of 4 thang, so they like to keep looking.
  • Options

I know him a bit, we've chatted half a dozen times (he's my local MP). Smart, practiced retail operator, handles awkward questions smoothly, writes an informative blog with a joke at the end to keep you reading. Intelligent but unexciting - makes Starmer sound like a populist in comparison. Certainly very different from Johnson, if that's what the Tories want, but I think ultimately too quietly intellectual for them.
    His plainess doesn't frighten me, although I wouldn't vote for him. He does realign the Conservative Party with reality, which is no bad thing.

Some of the alternatives frighten the hell out of me, although even the most unpleasant candidates have to be an improvement in the seriousness stakes over an idle, feckless clown.
  • Options

The mayor of Bologna was on r4 a couple of years ago. He said he is relaxed about any dish being called bolognese if it contasins the 2 key ingredients, *white* wine and full fat milk.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I had a look around, it's roughly this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/recipes/comments/8dl3fe/what_is_the_best_and_most_authentic_bolognese/

Here is the 'official' recipe decided by the Accademia Italiana della Cucina:
    With a solemn decree of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina – the Italian Academy of Cuisine, the present was notarized and deposited in the Palazzo della Mercanzia, the Chamber of Commerce of the City of Bologna on the 17th of October 1982. Ingredients
    800 gr. beef cartella (thin skirt)
    150 gr. pancetta, dried
    50 gr. carrot
    50 gr. celery stalk
    50 gr. onion
    5 spoons tomato sauce or 20 gr. triple tomato extract
    1 cup whole milk
    Half cup white or red wine, dry and not frizzante
    Salt and pepper, to taste. Procedure
    The pancetta, cut into little cubes and chopped with a mezzaluna chopping knife, is melted in a saucepan; the vegetables, once again well chopped with the mezzaluna, are then added and everything is left to stew softly. Next the ground beef is added and is left on the stovetop, while being stirred constantly, until it sputters. The wine and the tomato cut with a little broth are added and everything left to simmer for around two hours, adding little by little the milk and adjusting the salt and black pepper. Optional but advisable is the addition of the panna di cottura of a litre of whole milk at the end of the cooking.
  • Options

I know him a bit, we've chatted half a dozen times (he's my local MP). Smart, practiced retail operator, handles awkward questions smoothly, writes an informative blog with a joke at the end to keep you reading. Intelligent but unexciting - makes Starmer sound like a populist in comparison. Certainly very different from Johnson, if that's what the Tories want, but I think ultimately too quietly intellectual for them.
    His plainess doesn't frighten me, although I wouldn't vote for him. He does realign the Conservative Party with reality, which is no bad thing.

Some of the alternatives frighten the hell out of me, although even the most unpleasant candidates have to be an improvement in the seriousness stakes over an idle, feckless clown.
    What does your cabinet look like in A Nightmare on Downing Street?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

The mayor of Bologna was on r4 a couple of years ago. He said he is relaxed about any dish being called bolognese if it contasins the 2 key ingredients, *white* wine and full fat milk.
    "It's alright, Andy! It's just Bolognese!"
  • Options
    I used tomato puree, 2x concentrate, good quality bacon and beef mince @MaxPB
  • Options

I made this one (that someone here posted) at the weekend and having for lunch at work. It's the least tomato-y bolognese I've ever made, and so much better for it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

Word of caution regarding the idea of a VONC after the local elections: I can’t think of a time when local elections have ever triggered a VONC. The problem with local election results is that the media starts going into overdrive and if they’re a disaster, MPs tend to be hit with a kind of collective, desperate inertia. They want to do something but it looks reactive and panicky so they hold fire.

Personally I think if they want to go for it they should do it early spring. Let Boris absorb the latest covid gloom, get some green shoots going, then bring in a new fresh broom. For Rishi I feel there is no better chance for a shot at the top while his political capital remains high - although having the NI increase hit halfway through a leadership election campaign wouldn’t be ideal, I suppose.

For Liz it would be an opportunity to get moving before the Brexit crap hits the fan.

The problem with Rishi or Liz is their political instincts are out of tune with the prevailing public mood.
    Sure, they can probably manage to go to the CBI and not waffle about children's TV characters.
    But radical small state supply side stuff won't wash either.
    Rishi is a complete unknown on such things - I hope that as he knows how the treasury works (and the obvious flaws in the railway documents) that he is prepared to ignore the treasury when he takes power.

Reannouncing HS2E or NPR will return a lot of Red Wall voters to him - even if their delivery dates are pushed back a bit.
    It’s interesting, because there is only the one person who seems credible as a Prime Minister in the cabinet, in Rishi, clear favourite. But he’s handed thirty billion pounds of tax payers money to criminals! Second favourite Truss has signed all those trade deals the details and impacts of which are yet to come out in the wash.

Opposition parties could love getting stuck into their records the next couple of years.
    If you are talking about Bounce Back Loans - yes some money has been lost but I suspect a lot more will be recovered than people expect.

Plus something had to be done to give small firms a chance to survive and a loan administered by a third party is a lot lower risk and hassle than grants - which gave many welsh holiday lets better profits in 2020 than in 2021.
    It would be good if we get some of that money back off the scammers. The Mail said Sunak mislaid thirty billion but I can’t Say I understand about maths or finance to that degree.

I don’t really know what skills or knowledge I bring to this blog, the longest job I’ve had is managing a charity shop when I was 17/18, my maths coped with that okay I think.

Maybe if you want to know how to encourage a horse to give you a hug. I had a big horse day today. Took some horses out. Lots of horse hugs and riding. But no Mr Overalls.

It was before I went to Cheltenham a couple of months ago my friend told me they found him dead, suspected heart attack. Today she told me he wasn’t the same when his companion was gone, he would just be in a world of his own. Poor Overalls!

He bit me once another time he kicked me in the mouth, but that wasn’t his fault some people blew their car horn when they didn’t need to. But he always came over and gave me lots of hugs.

Feeling very tired this evening. 🥱
  • Options
    Bacon is probably an insult in of itself so I will use pancetta next time - but the rest is pretty much spot on
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

What price @Dura_Ace ?
    He does move faster than most moving targets.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

What price @Dura_Ace ?
    He's professionally trained to cope with hunters armed with gyroscopic gunsights and radar-ranging, too.
  • Options
    I was a bit nervous about putting chicken liver in my bolognese, but it really works..

“Zia Nerina, a splendid woman, titanic of proportion but angelic of face and manner, who in the 1950s owned and ran the Trattoria Nerina in Bologna”, features minced beef, chicken livers and chopped bacon or uncooked ham, in addition to the usual vegetables, plus white wine, stock, tomato purée and nutmeg.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

The winner of the contest will be whoever promises the best feather-bedding and inheritance protection to the increasingly ageing membership. The young do not vote Conservative so adding more debt to their already laden backs will not cost any votes in the country...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/recipes/comments/8dl3fe/what_is_the_best_and_most_authentic_bolognese/

With a solemn decree of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina – the Italian Academy of Cuisine, the present was notarized and deposited in the Palazzo della Mercanzia, the Chamber of Commerce of the City of Bologna on the 17th of October 1982. Ingredients
    150 gr. pancetta, dried
    50 gr. carrot
    50 gr. celery stalk
    50 gr. onion
    1 cup whole milk
    The pancetta, cut into little cubes and chopped with a mezzaluna chopping knife, is melted in a saucepan; the vegetables, once again well chopped with the mezzaluna, are then added and everything is left to stew softly. Next the ground beef is added and is left on the stovetop, while being stirred constantly, until it sputters. The wine and the tomato cut with a little broth are added and everything left to simmer for around two hours, adding little by little the milk and adjusting the salt and black pepper. Optional but advisable is the addition of the panna di cottura of a litre of whole milk at the end of the cooking.
    Oh the original recipe, yeah I've tried that a couple of times, once it was great, the other time I fucked it up. Been meaning to do it again, maybe over the very long weekend, though I also want to fire up my new wood fired pizza oven, a real dilemma!
  • Options

I used tomato puree, 2x concentrate, good quality bacon and beef mince @MaxPB

Since this is PB I have to ask the obvious question:

Did you use pineapple rings, chunks or fresh pineapple?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

What does your cabinet look like in A Nightmare on Downing Street?
    Pretty much as it is at present. It has improved a notch with the defenestrated Frost out of the picture.
  • Options
    FPT:
    Alistair said:

In other news your really want to be betting agianst the Demsin the midterms

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1473331157626458115

Lincoln County Georgia, which is nearly one-third Black, proposes closing 6 of 7 polling sites for 2022 after GOP took over local election board & purged Dems

Look I know voter suppression is a thing but unless there's some other issue here then this story doesn't make sense.

Lincoln County voted 68% for Trump last year and is a GOP stronghold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County,_Georgia

Its also got a population of under 8k though so perhaps reducing the number of polling stations is merely for cost saving.

Finally what's special about a county in Georgia being 'nearly one third Black' ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

150 gr. pancetta, dried
    50 gr. carrot
    50 gr. celery stalk
    50 gr. onion
    1 cup whole milk
    Oh the original recipe, yeah I've tried that a couple of times, once it was great, the other time I fucked it up. Been meaning to do it again, maybe over the very long weekend, though I also want to fire up my new wood fired pizza oven, a real dilemma!
    My friend, that must have cost you a bob or two!
  • Options
    South Africa new cases 15,423 down from 23,857 a week ago.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-africa/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?

What price @Dura_Ace ?
    "Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are!"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Cabinet Secretary ‘misled officials’ over parties row #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1473412429023428615/photo/1
  • Options

Bacon is probably an insult in of itself so I will use pancetta next time - but the rest is pretty much spot on

Try smoked bacon - just one rasher
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
  • Options

Saw Biden's Omicron press conference and what a contrast to our failed leaders on this side of the pond.

He was calm, measured, reasonable.

Emphasising the importance of vaccines, without sparking panic; emphasising in a calm voice that this is not March last year and that there's no reason to panic, just to be sensible. Activating FEMA to help capacity in hospitals, ambulances and vaccination centres. As far as I saw not a single hint of restrictions or any other nonsense. He was genuinely "Presidential".

The problem on this side of the pond is leaders have got hooked on trying to manage the demand side of healthcare, instead of taking the supply side on as their responsibility which is what Biden was doing with FEMA.

What a difference a genuine leader is over there. Far better than the clown in Downing Street who seems to be scared of his own shadow now yet is himself infinitely better than the even worse fools in the devolved governments or on the opposition bench.

I don't like him much, and he gets mocked here a lot, and he was just acceptable under the circumstances, but what a shame we don't have a single leader in any party it seems in this country of the caliber of Biden.

Our scientists and politicians need to be firmly told the time for managing the demand side of healthcare via restrictions is over and that their job now is to handle the supply side, like America is doing. If Whitty or Vallance can't live with that, they should resign or be fired.

I'm a bit worried about this bit though, as reported on the BBC:
    "The new measures announced today include:

Buying 500 million rapid tests to deliver to Americans for free"

That's about two each. I get though more than that in a week.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

FPT:

Alistair said:

Lincoln County Georgia, which is nearly one-third Black, proposes closing 6 of 7 polling sites for 2022 after GOP took over local election board & purged Dems

Look I know voter suppression is a thing but unless there's some other issue here then this story doesn't make sense.

Its also got a population of under 8k though so perhaps reducing the number of polling stations is merely for cost saving.

Finally what's special about a county in Georgia being 'nearly one third Black' ?
    The Wiki entry says 257 square miles - and the map has it as roughly triangular - so the county is something like 30 miles long x 15 miles broad at least. To put that in context, the IoW is 150 sq miles. One voting station won't cut it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    As bad as Boris is, it's generous of Nicola to be a case study in how much worse we could have it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

150 gr. pancetta, dried
    50 gr. carrot
    50 gr. celery stalk
    50 gr. onion
    1 cup whole milk
    That looks like it should be worth trying: thanks for posting it.
  • Options

FPT:

Alistair said:

They are good points. Although, if it has a population of under 8k it will be phenomenally rural. Even if counties in Georgia tend to be much smaller than most in the US.
    Should imagine many voters will face a long drive with no public transport to the one polling place.
  • Options

Saw Biden's Omicron press conference and what a contrast to our failed leaders on this side of the pond.

He was calm, measured, reasonable.

Emphasising the importance of vaccines, without sparking panic; emphasising in a calm voice that this is not March last year and that there's no reason to panic, just to be sensible. Activating FEMA to help capacity in hospitals, ambulances and vaccination centres. As far as I saw not a single hint of restrictions or any other nonsense. He was genuinely "Presidential".

The problem on this side of the pond is leaders have got hooked on trying to manage the demand side of healthcare, instead of taking the supply side on as their responsibility which is what Biden was doing with FEMA.

What a difference a genuine leader is over there. Far better than the clown in Downing Street who seems to be scared of his own shadow now yet is himself infinitely better than the even worse fools in the devolved governments or on the opposition bench.

I don't like him much, and he gets mocked here a lot, and he was just acceptable under the circumstances, but what a shame we don't have a single leader in any party it seems in this country of the caliber of Biden.

Our scientists and politicians need to be firmly told the time for managing the demand side of healthcare via restrictions is over and that their job now is to handle the supply side, like America is doing. If Whitty or Vallance can't live with that, they should resign or be fired.

I'm a bit worried about this bit though, as reported on the BBC:
    "The new measures announced today include:

Buying 500 million rapid tests to deliver to Americans for free"

That's about two each. I get though more than that in a week.
    Yes well I think this country is a bit test and case mad. It's worth noting they've gone this far without any home testing at all.

Test if you have symptoms or are concerned is far more sensible than test every time you flinch or leave the house.

No wonder so many in this country are so paranoid. It isn't healthy.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

She is not

Dana (Not Scully)
    @telefeminism
    Pfizer x 3
    Negative rapid test
    Natural immunity
    Face shield
    Vinyl gloves
    Touchscreen gloves
    Shitton of Xanax

At that point you're just better off locked in the panic room till the dust has settled.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited December 2021

I made this one (that someone here posted) at the weekend and having for lunch at work. It's the least tomato-y bolognese I've ever made, and so much better for it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/25/how-to-make-perfect-bolognese
    Think that was me. Felicity Cloake's 'Perfect' is our go to for any classic. She tries lots of recipes and shares the best.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

They are good points. Although, if it has a population of under 8k it will be phenomenally rural. Even if counties in Georgia tend to be much smaller than most in the US.
    Should imagine many voters will face a long drive with no public transport to the one polling place.
    257 square miles. So slightly less than twice the size of Rutland with a fifth of the population.
    Don't imagine we'd be happy with one polling station in that area.
    No car, no vote.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

150 gr. pancetta, dried
    50 gr. carrot
    50 gr. celery stalk
    50 gr. onion
    1 cup whole milk
    My friend, that must have cost you a bob or two!
    Ooni had a sale at black Friday, 25% off so I went for it!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    As bad as Boris is, it's generous of Nicola to be a case study in how much worse we could have it.
    Their relative popularity proves it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?
    Poor return on investment
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

257 square miles. So slightly less than twice the size of Rutland with a fifth of the population.
    Don't imagine we'd be happy with one polling station in that area.
    No car, no vote.
    American elections also involve far more voting than we get here, where I can't remember voting on more than three things at a time (and that only once). This means each elector will take much longer.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

Perhaps so.

But even that doesn't help the GOP as the county seat of Lincolnton (where I assume the remaining polling site would be) has a higher proportion of Black people than the county average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnton,_Georgia

And wouldn't making it more difficult to vote hinder the GOP given their voters are more likely to be older and less likely to use postal votes ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Pulp Fiction ... when they shot the pilot they found a stage 3 and a bit out of 4 thang, so they like to keep looking.
    I went to a neighbour's Christmas party a few years back. A cheerful man whom I'd never met (though I vaguely knew his wife) was telling me about his colonocopy. Apparently during the procedure - due, presumably to the fentanyl - he started hallucinating that he was in Star Wars, as one of the pilots attacking the death star, and the screen in front of him showing the progress of the camera up his arse was his ship making its way down the valleys of the death star. (If I knew my star wars better I could probably explain it.) Apparently a first for the operators of the camera.
    He went on to add me on linkedin, and has had the odd piece of work out of me since.
    It is rivetting, seeing the camera feed in real time. And my benchmark for cool is the doctor who was in charge of proceedings when they found my cancer. Hmmm, she said, I'm not sure what we are looking at now, but I'm pretty certain it is not meant to be there.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:
    Chasing panic isn't what makes a good leader. See my post earlier praising Biden as to what good leadership is in contrast.

Boris was relatively popular six weeks ago, did that make him a good leader in your eyes?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:
    Chasing panic isn't what makes a good leader. See my post earlier praising Biden as to what good leadership is in contrast.

Boris was relatively popular six weeks ago, did that make him a good leader in your eyes?
    Better than any other in the Tory Party. He still is. I have been consistent in that view.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

I went to a neighbour's Christmas party a few years back. A cheerful man whom I'd never met (though I vaguely knew his wife) was telling me about his colonocopy. Apparently during the procedure - due, presumably to the fentanyl - he started hallucinating that he was in Star Wars, as one of the pilots attacking the death star, and the screen in front of him showing the progress of the camera up his arse was his ship making its way down the valleys of the death star. (If I knew my star wars better I could probably explain it.) Apparently a first for the operators of the camera.
    He went on to add me on linkedin, and has had the odd piece of work out of me since.
    It is rivetting, seeing the camera feed in real time. And my benchmark for cool is the doctor who was in charge of proceedings when they found my cancer. Hmmm, she said, I'm not sure what we are looking at now, but I'm pretty certain it is not meant to be there.
    I had a similar experience over ten years ago (cystoscopy rather than colonoscopy) which found a bladder tumour in real time on the screen in front of me.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

Perhaps so.

But even that doesn't help the GOP as the county seat of Lincolnton (where I assume the remaining polling site would be) has a higher proportion of Black people than the county average.

And wouldn't making it more difficult to vote hinder the GOP given their voters are more likely to be older and less likely to use postal votes ?
    Maybe so.
    But why does the self-styled Patriotic Party in the self-styled Greatest Democracy in History, seem to have such an issue with folk voting easily?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

She is not

Dana (Not Scully)
    @telefeminism
    Pfizer x 3
    Negative rapid test
    Natural immunity
    Face shield
    Vinyl gloves
    Touchscreen gloves
    Shitton of Xanax

Wonder if she'll pass out from anoxia before reaching her destination.
  • Options

Think that was me. Felicity Cloake's 'Perfect' is our go to for any classic. She tries lots of recipes and shares the best.
    She's excellent. I make amazing hummus since I read this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/aug/11/how-to-make-perfect-hummus
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

The Wiki entry says 257 square miles - and the map has it as roughly triangular - so the county is something like 30 miles long x 15 miles broad at least. To put that in context, the IoW is 150 sq miles. One voting station won't cut it.
    Maybe not.

But reducing the number of polling sites looks like a good way of suppressing the GOP vote so why would the GOP want to do that ?

Its easy to see conspiracies everywhere but there's never any shortage of idiocy by those in charge.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?
    Do you not drink wine, on that basis?
  • Options
    Here's a thought. If you catch Covid on Friday it won't result in a positive test result on Saturday morning. So you can still go out on the lash on Christmas Eve without risking missing Christmas dinner with your loved ones.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

I had a similar experience over ten years ago (cystoscopy rather than colonoscopy) which found a bladder tumour in real time on the screen in front of me.
    Fuck, I don't want to know about how a cytoscopy works. But yay for the nhs in both our cases.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134

Her minestone and oatcake recipes are both pretty good, but I've managed to improve the oatcakes substantially by simplifying and adding egg and whisky.

• Options

Here's a thought. If you catch Covid on Friday it won't result in a positive test result on Saturday morning. So you can still go out on the lash on Christmas Eve without risking missing Christmas dinner with your loved ones.

Not only that... you are unlikely to be infectious on Christmas Day even if you did catch Ccovid the day before.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

I'll remember this next time I moan there's nowt on Netflix.
  • Options

She's excellent. I make amazing hummus since I read this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/aug/11/how-to-make-perfect-hummus
    Yep, any classic recipe you want, just search 'perfect xxxx recipe".
  • Options
    TimT said:

She is not

Dana (Not Scully)
    @telefeminism
    Pfizer x 3
    Negative rapid test
    Natural immunity
    Face shield
    Vinyl gloves
    Touchscreen gloves
    Shitton of Xanax

Wonder if she'll pass out from anoxia before reaching her destination.

Don't hold your breath...
  • Options
    : The Met Police has referred itself to the police watchdog over its decision not to investigate the Downing Street Christmas party despite video evidence leaked to
    @itvnews
  • Options

: The Met Police has referred itself to the police watchdog over its decision not to investigate the Downing Street Christmas party despite video evidence leaked to
    @itvnews

The world is increasingly beyond satire.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

Perhaps so.

Maybe so.
    But why does the self-styled Patriotic Party in the self-styled Greatest Democracy in History, seem to have such an issue with folk voting easily?
    Only those folk which vote for the other lot.

Now perhaps the closing of polling sites in a GOP stronghold is some small part of a grand conspiracy - are the people closing the sites also able to close them in other counties with Lincoln County thus being some acceptably small collateral damage for the GOP ? I've no idea how these things work but that might be some tenuous hypothesis.

Alternatively its some bizarre local decision - there's never a shortage of crap decisions made by those in government so why shouldn't this be another ?
  • Options

moonshine said:

The winner of the contest will be whoever promises the best feather-bedding and inheritance protection to the increasingly ageing membership. The young do not vote Conservative so adding more debt to their already laden backs will not cost any votes in the country...
    That is if it goes to the membership. Theresa May's election did not, after Leadsom was pressed to withdraw.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

Perhaps so.

Maybe so.

Now perhaps the closing of polling sites in a GOP stronghold is some small part of a grand conspiracy - are the people closing the sites also able to close them in other counties with Lincoln County thus being some acceptably small collateral damage for the GOP ? I've no idea how these things work but that might be some tenuous hypothesis.

Alternatively its some bizarre local decision - there's never a shortage of crap decisions made by those in government so why shouldn't this be another ?
    Lincoln County must have been an unfortunate name during the Confederacy.

• Options
    geoffw said:

Her minestone and oatcake recipes are both pretty good, but I've managed to improve the oatcakes substantially by simplifying and adding egg and whisky.

Her paella recipe is superb.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

FPT:

Alistair said:

Perhaps so.

Maybe so.

Lincoln County must have been an unfortunate name during the Confederacy.

The new county was named after General Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810), a Revolutionary War hero notable for receiving Gen. Cornwallis's Sword of Surrender at Yorktown, Virginia. In 1809 he retired from the military.

Unfortunate indeed. Surprised it wasn't re-named tbh.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

2022 nailed on

More wine? Sure

Why?
    Do you not drink wine, on that basis?
    Not a huge amount.

I rarely spend money on myself
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134

geoffw said:

Her paella recipe is superb.
    Yes, her approach is quite unique. A sort of Which? magazine for recipes. She tests the published variations of various chefs and cookery writers and writes them up like a student doing a 'science project'. Actually I'm sure that it is the same process followed by many cookery writers, but they normally just reveal the final outcome instead of her 'suck it and see' approach. Btw I seem to recall she was on one of those Xmas University Challenge programmes a few years ago.

• Options
    Most random cooking tip I ever got was from Frank in Everybody Loves Raymond. He complains about his tuna sandwich not having celery in it, since it doesn't have "that crunch". I'm not a fan of raw celery normally but I now put a stick of quite finely diced celery in my tuna mayo. It does give a much better crunch than cucumber.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Most random cooking tip I ever got was from Frank in Everybody Loves Raymond. He complains about his tuna sandwich not having celery in it, since it doesn't have "that crunch". I'm not a fan of raw celery normally but I now put a stick of quite finely diced celery in my tuna mayo. It does give a much better crunch than cucumber.

Similar random cooking tip: Charlie thingy, Gordon Brown's old spin doctor, once in a radio interview advised putting a bit of orange juice in the roasting tin with your parsnips. It works.
This discussion has been closed.