Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Expectations management – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    That was a shambolic end to the F1.

Safety cars often are.

They should have to ensure that when a safety car happens whatever time gap there was before the safety car is the time gap after it. Position isn't the be all and end all if you have the same positions but cut the gap from a 15 seconds gap to side by side.

However safety cars have always operated that way. The stewards have been farcical there but Verstappen took his opportunity and went for it. Well done him, a stroke of luck but he took it.

As annoying as it is, he deserves credit for winning his first title. Commiserations for Hamilton.
  • Options
    Well, that was exciting.

The lack of action over Hamilton on lap 1 was ridiculous.

If, as suggested here, they let some but not all lapped cars through then that seems highly dubious.

I'd point out that safety cars have often decided races. Ricciardo's 2014 Hungarian victory was largely due to Rosberg being shafted by the safety car's timing.

There has already been a lot of criticism of Masi. This will not arrest that trend.

On the plus side, it was very exciting. And Perez drove fantastically well. Hamilton was 2-3s a lap faster and Perez kept him behind for a lap, which is immensely impressive.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited December 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

I think I've worked out what's going on. If you are a middle class Englishman who gets to age 30 without any particular interests of your own you get assigned F1 by default.

Yes. Strange to be declaring it "unfair".
    When 2 people start at the front in faster cars than everyone else.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Well, Max goes down as an even weaker 'champion' than Rosberg's 2016 engine blow up gift. 3 races of trying to crash and then a last minute FIA gift when that didn't work. Quite galling he's such a sociopath he'll consider it the same as winning fairly.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I hope Michael Masi gets fucked to death by a kangaroo.

Now, now. Not nice. And what if it happens?

My late mum used to say - never wish someone died, it might happen and then how would you feel?
    My Scottish boss says he hasn't been this angry at a sporting contest since Scotland took on Uruguay in 1986.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

To the people saying how unfair. Letting lapped cars past in *normal*.

Sensational race. Brazil 2008...

All or none, not just those in Max's road. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    Dura_Ace said:

I think I've worked out what's going on. If you are a middle class Englishman who gets to age 30 without any particular interests of your own you get assigned F1 by default.

It’s a stupid sport, just watching cars drive past. Cricket is the only thing I can think of that is less interesting, and that only because it takes days rather than an hour or so.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, didn't he watch Scotland get refereed out of victory over the Aussies when England hosted the rugby world cup?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, all of them. Thet chose to only let a few past.
    They let the ones past that were in the way. Alternatively we finish behind the safety car?

Why didn't Mercedes bring Lewis in? Shit tactics. And they've done that a few times.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    I've been out for a few minutes helping myself to a piece of cake, so let me try to understand this brouhaha over this car racing business that seems to have so many of you feeling cross and enervated.

Mr Hamilton was winning at a canter; some obscure back marker who nobody had ever heard of before, and will probably never be heard of again, was a dipstick and crashed; some business followed involving a contentious refereeing decision; and this allowed the Max chappy to win instead. So you're all very upset.

This sounds like the rough equivalent of Djokovic serving for the match leading something like 5-1 in the final set of the championship match at Wimbledon, when some random who was knocked out in the second round charges onto Centre Court, whacks him round the head several times with a racket leaving him discombobulated, and enabling the hitherto hopeless opponent in the final to rally and win 7-5. Or something.

I'm not sure I get the attraction of this whole victory by random occurrence business - which appears to happen rather a lot in car races. All seems a bit rubbish to me.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, didn't he watch Scotland get refereed out of victory over the Aussies when England hosted the rugby world cup?

He ignores that because he'll explode, so he represses it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

MaxPB said:

They let the ones past that were in the way. Alternatively we finish behind the safety car?

Why didn't Mercedes bring Lewis in? Shit tactics. And they've done that a few times.
    The Belgian Grand Prix finished behind the safety car....
  • Options

And... PB explodes. ;)

I feel that PB might have benefited from some expectation management (aside from 'the cheating cnuts will probably have ar lad beat')..
  • Options
    That’s going to court. The rules would have let all the lapped cars through which meant no more racing. They chose to engineer a finale to Drive to Survive instead. I supported Verstappen most of the year. But Lewis deserved that

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1470041979832737802?s=20
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

I'm still trying to comprehend that astonishing report about the academic spat in New Zealand mentioned in the previous thread. If there are so many allegedly smart people in that country who genuinely can't perceive any qualitative difference between the scientific method and Maori mythology then they're done for. They'll be having Pakistani-style blasphemy lynchings for those who profane the indigenous deities a few years further down the line. Total madness.

This is evidence of how identity politics, intersectionality and what may be described as 'woke' thinking have infiltrated the establishment. And the problem is that there are no signs at all that the establishment will correct itself, even when forced to defend key principles on which modern civilisation has been built, for instance the scientific method. It is yet another example of how the west is committing suicide. When you discard your reflexive progressive assumptions and faith in the estalishment; and really see what is happening, the inescapable conclusion is that it all simply has to be stopped before we descend in to the type of problems you describe. We are fast approaching the point where it is politically impossible for the status quo to change course, because even if they can see the madness their supporters do not; so your only option is to vote for a Zemmour or a Trump.
    I see this as the spread of postmodernism which sits in opposition to logic and rationality. How to put it back in its box?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_philosophy

Another cracking post form you Darkage, along with the belter you posted two or three days ago regarding the unsustainability of covid protocols and associated paraphernalia .
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ha, I didn't notice that. So they explicitly engineeered Max past rather than following process. Makes me slightly more hopeful for the coming court case.
  • Options

And... PB explodes. ;)

I feel that PB might have benefited from some expectation management (aside from 'the cheating cnuts will probably have ar lad beat')..
    As I pointed out last week I made more money on Verstappen winning.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Lol. Lewis absolutely should have won. Deservedly so. His team fucked up. Don't blame the FIA for wanting a motor race - if they wanted to be silly they could have done a full safety car instead of VSC earlier...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,234

IanB2 said:

Harris: If politics and power were the right way up, those at the top would at least do an impression of being serious and consistent in order to rein in any irresponsible parts of the population. But in England, we seem to have ended up with the exact opposite: a dutiful public boggling at a clique at the top who are, to coin a currently ubiquitous phrase, “taking us for fools”: shallow, reckless, and apparently contemptuous of the sacrifices people are still making.

For all the hype surrounding levelling up, the absence of any emotional connection with, or serious plans for, the places the government says it wants to help is striking. Once again, the overwhelming impression is of contempt and condescension, and people being blithely offered something Johnson has no serious intention of delivering. Worse still, as proved by the national insurance hike, the end of the universal credit uplift and his regressive plans for funding social care, things that he actually has done will make lives in so-called “left behind” places even harder.

I recently read Sad Little Men, the writer Richard Beard’s eloquent book about private schools and the kind of leaders they produce. In his experience, contempt for the lower orders began with the idea that “everyone else was less special and often stupid”, and blurred into indifference: “We saw from car windows the petrol stations and primary schools and Bovis homes in which less privileged lives played themselves out, but the hopes and dreams of these people didn’t meaningfully exist for us, nor their disappointments and pain.” The story of a public enduring the worst effects of the pandemic while Downing Street partied on gives those words an awful potency: somewhere in that sentence, in fact, lies one explanation for both the mess this government is in, and the mire the rest of us have been dragged into

That's partly Boris, partly a wider problem. There's much less "us" than there used to be.

I blame the long peace we've noticed through. Tories with experience of WW2 could see the point of other people, and lefties could see the point of patriotism- think of the Callaghan/Healy generation, compared with who followed them. About our only link to those times is QE2; she did the right but hard thing during Covid in a way that would never have occurred to our political masters.

I don't want another war so that we can rediscover each other, but it has left a void that we need to fill. Maybe the increasingly OTT marking of poppytide is a mute recognition of that, but it's not enough
    Compromise has gone out of fashion. That's one of the lessons of Brexit to me. My assumption immediately after the referendum was that the politicians would settle on the compromise of "Norway for Now", or "Common Market 2.0", and then take incremental steps further depending on how public opinion developed.

Instead [most of] both sides aimed for total victory. If you're aiming for total victory then why would you do anything for voters of the other side? HYUFD's disdain for his opponents, and for anyone not in the Tory core vote, is an exemplar of this trend. No compromise with the opposition, with reality, with the law, with convention, with tradition, with anything. Only total victory.

It's very revolutionary in its outlook. Supposedly that is not the British way, but it seems to be so now.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Safety cars often are.

They should have to ensure that when a safety car happens whatever time gap there was before the safety car is the time gap after it. Position isn't the be all and end all if you have the same positions but cut the gap from a 15 seconds gap to side by side.

However safety cars have always operated that way. The stewards have been farcical there but Verstappen took his opportunity and went for it. Well done him, a stroke of luck but he took it.

As annoying as it is, he deserves credit for winning his first title. Commiserations for Hamilton.

This is just incorrect. Safety cars have never operated this way.
  • Options

UK reports 1,239 new Omicron cases, by far the biggest one-day increase on record and nearly double from yesterday https://t.co/VUiTFav6Ul

The SAGE modellers estimate that this means there are already 1.7m Omicron cases in the country, and we shall all have caught it by Wednesday week.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Dura_Ace said:

What about the Welsh males?
  • Options
    Problem is Verstappen might have won the title anyway. This helped him immeasurably, but he had a huge pace advantage (obviously, new soft tyres versus old hard tyres). *He* did not make the call.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,526
    edited December 2021

IanB2 said:

Harris: If politics and power were the right way up, those at the top would at least do an impression of being serious and consistent in order to rein in any irresponsible parts of the population. But in England, we seem to have ended up with the exact opposite: a dutiful public boggling at a clique at the top who are, to coin a currently ubiquitous phrase, “taking us for fools”: shallow, reckless, and apparently contemptuous of the sacrifices people are still making.

For all the hype surrounding levelling up, the absence of any emotional connection with, or serious plans for, the places the government says it wants to help is striking. Once again, the overwhelming impression is of contempt and condescension, and people being blithely offered something Johnson has no serious intention of delivering. Worse still, as proved by the national insurance hike, the end of the universal credit uplift and his regressive plans for funding social care, things that he actually has done will make lives in so-called “left behind” places even harder.

I recently read Sad Little Men, the writer Richard Beard’s eloquent book about private schools and the kind of leaders they produce. In his experience, contempt for the lower orders began with the idea that “everyone else was less special and often stupid”, and blurred into indifference: “We saw from car windows the petrol stations and primary schools and Bovis homes in which less privileged lives played themselves out, but the hopes and dreams of these people didn’t meaningfully exist for us, nor their disappointments and pain.” The story of a public enduring the worst effects of the pandemic while Downing Street partied on gives those words an awful potency: somewhere in that sentence, in fact, lies one explanation for both the mess this government is in, and the mire the rest of us have been dragged into

That's partly Boris, partly a wider problem. There's much less "us" than there used to be.

I blame the long peace we've noticed through. Tories with experience of WW2 could see the point of other people, and lefties could see the point of patriotism- think of the Callaghan/Healy generation, compared with who followed them. About our only link to those times is QE2; she did the right but hard thing during Covid in a way that would never have occurred to our political masters.

I don't want another war so that we can rediscover each other, but it has left a void that we need to fill. Maybe the increasingly OTT marking of poppytide is a mute recognition of that, but it's not enough
    Richard Beard seems to have a very narrow knowledge base of what Independent Schools actually do, perhaps limited by his education being mainly at a Headmasters Conference Boarding School several decades ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Problem is Verstappen might have won the title anyway. This helped him immeasurably, but he had a huge pace advantage (obviously, new soft tyres versus old hard tyres). *He* did not make the call.

Bollocks, he wasn’t winning without that bullshit.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

He might have, but now we'll never know. I hope Mercedes sue and get the result changed to end on lap 57. It's the fairest ending.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    CP now 2.96 in North Shropshire. I keep nibbling but the odds keep rising.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901

1) you let everyone through, race ends on safety

2) no one gets let through, max doesn't make it through back markers in time
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Lol. Lewis absolutely should have won. Deservedly so. His team fucked up. Don't blame the FIA for wanting a motor race - if they wanted to be silly they could have done a full safety car instead of VSC earlier...
    Merc didn't fuck up you fool. If they had pitted in either of the 2 times Max did, Max wouldn't have and they'd have lost track position, and Max would have have put them both in the wall rather than let him past on track.

Merc have terribly strategy in general, but today they played the only approach possible.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    edited December 2021

Carnyx said:

I hope Michael Masi gets fucked to death by a kangaroo.

Now, now. Not nice. And what if it happens?

My late mum used to say - never wish someone died, it might happen and then how would you feel?
    My Scottish boss says he hasn't been this angry at a sporting contest since Scotland took on Uruguay in 1986.
    OTOH I haven't seen so much agreement on PB for a long time, well maybe two days!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Bollocks, he wasn’t winning without that bullshit.
    I think he might have, half a lap to clear the back markers and then half a lap to catch with a 3s per lap tyre delta. He could have done it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

IanB2 said:

Compromise has gone out of fashion. That's one of the lessons of Brexit to me. My assumption immediately after the referendum was that the politicians would settle on the compromise of "Norway for Now", or "Common Market 2.0", and then take incremental steps further depending on how public opinion developed.

Instead [most of] both sides aimed for total victory. If you're aiming for total victory then why would you do anything for voters of the other side? HYUFD's disdain for his opponents, and for anyone not in the Tory core vote, is an exemplar of this trend. No compromise with the opposition, with reality, with the law, with convention, with tradition, with anything. Only total victory.

It's very revolutionary in its outlook. Supposedly that is not the British way, but it seems to be so now.
    That is what Mrs May, has she risen to the occasion, should have done. Taken on her own ultras, reached across the chamber and delivered a soft Brexit that would best have reflected the balance of national opinion. It is her failure to rise to the challenges of the job that has left our poor country in the hands of a dishonest numpty.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    edited December 2021
    I started to feel a lot happier about F1 in the early 1990s when I realised it was not a sport: it is a big-money business masquerading as a sport. The business comes first. When you understand that, it can make you feel a little calmer about such things. ;)

Edit: perhaps the difference now is that it's trying to be a reality TV show as well.
  • Options

Categorically was not going to happen. 5 lapped cars in the middle.

Again I don't get the fuss - this is racing. They move lapped cars past in Indy as well. Was amazed we got 1 lap TBH - thought the Latifi crash would take too long to clear
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

Safety cars often are.

In what way did they not operate this way?

The only thing I can tell that is different is allowing some of the cars out of the way but not the others. That was shambolic.

But other than that, the fact that the safety car compresses the field eliminating a hard won gap between first and second has always been a problem in Formula 1. The safety car allows the runner up to catch up with the leader, if they were forced to restart with the same time gap rather than just the same positioning then Lewis would have deservedly won.

This is not the first time and won't be the last that a safety car changes who wins a race.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, just written something similar for the post-race ramble.

Mr. 86, stranger things have happened. I agree it was very unlikely. But not impossible.

Mr. Maarsh, not sure Hamilton could've passed. He was 2-3s a lap faster than Perez and that was a real fight.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

So the PB’ers favourite led into the final lap. The other guy was behind, but managed to overtake and win. Isn’t that the general idea? If your guy was up to his game he’d have stayed ahead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

It’s a stupid sport, just watching cars drive past. Cricket is the only thing I can think of that is less interesting, and that only because it takes days rather than an hour or so.
    It is very silly. I know that chance events can and do happen in any sport but can you imagine what horseracing would be like if it resembled this? You'd have horses crashing into each other, horses' legs falling off in the path of the other horses, and safety horses leading everyone around at walking pace the whole time.

Still, as @Dura_Ace says, at least it gives a lot of middle-aged men something to do other than reorganise the contents of their sheds.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Eabhal said:

I don't understand the logic of ever letting the lapped cars through after a safety car. Hamilton had had to get past them; without the need for a safety car Verstappen would have had to get past them too. Why not just keep them in place?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    I’m not a F1 fan but watched the race.

It simply didn’t seem fair to me. I have no idea of the rules but it seemed that everything was stacked in Max’s favour under the safety car at the end.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Merc didn't fuck up you fool. If they had pitted in either of the 2 times Max did, Max wouldn't have and they'd have lost track position, and Max would have have put them both in the wall rather than let him past on track.

Merc have terribly strategy in general, but today they played the only approach possible.
    They left him out on binned tyres. Hamilton told them they wouldn't last the race. And went on to do his usual sensational job of being plaid quick and not burning them out

Hamilton was left out to get picked off. And kept telling the team it was a bad idea...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

So the PB’ers favourite led into the final lap. The other guy was behind, but managed to overtake and win. Isn’t that the general idea? If your guy was up to his game he’d have stayed ahead.
    I can't be bothered but one guy had fucked tyres and the other guy didn't.

The first guy thought the rules would be abided by, hence the tyres.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

I thought Hamilton was about to win his best ever title. Deservedly. And then we get that crash and it all goes up in the air again. That is racing. Seriously, are we to protest anything that means it is competitive?
  • Options

maaarsh said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

They left him out on binned tyres. Hamilton told them they wouldn't last the race. And went on to do his usual sensational job of being plaid quick and not burning them out

Hamilton was left out to get picked off. And kept telling the team it was a bad idea...
    Honestly, if you think they had any other choice, you're either trolling or just have no idea how the 'sport' (after today, ha!) works
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It’s the consequence of our crooked voting system.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Partly because if they let Max get ahead, they feared Max would do his usual style of 'defending'.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

I don't understand the logic of ever letting the lapped cars through after a safety car. Hamilton had had to get past them; without the need for a safety car Verstappen would have had to get past them too. Why not just keep them in place?
    They do that to make the racing competitive, which is fine, but they are supposed to let all of the lapped cars through and for them to catch up to the back of the pack. Those are the rules and the race director has chosen to only let a few through and to also not let the catch up for the restart.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, possibly, though after Perez's defence I suspect they might have been more concerned they simply couldn't pass Verstappen.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Safety cars often are.

The only thing I can tell that is different is allowing some of the cars out of the way but not the others. That was shambolic.

But other than that, the fact that the safety car compresses the field eliminating a hard won gap between first and second has always been a problem in Formula 1. The safety car allows the runner up to catch up with the leader, if they were forced to restart with the same time gap rather than just the same positioning then Lewis would have deservedly won.

This is not the first time and won't be the last that a safety car changes who wins a race.
    That’s literally the point. The safety car isn’t the problem. The problem is either not letting lapped cars past or letting them all past, not just a select few.
  • Options
    Damon Hill nailing it. Red Bull gambled hard on pitstops. Mercedes conservative. And it did them.
  • Options

I started to feel a lot happier about F1 in the early 1990s when I realised it was not a sport: it is a big-money business masquerading as a sport. The business comes first. When you understand that, it can make you feel a little calmer about such things. ;)

Edit: perhaps the difference now is that it's trying to be a reality TV show as well.

It's WWE in cars.
    Would be a tad more interesting if they could brain each other semi-comatose with chairs before the race.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I've got plenty of interests, thanks. And have been following F1 since I was five or so.

But at least we're grown up enough to realise that bragging about driving like a d'head on public roads is a sign of a d'head. And refusing to have the Covid vaccine for 'reasons' is a sign of a deliriously deluded d'head. ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Max, aye, selectively or partial application of rules is wretched.

Though I would be in favour of altering the safety car rules somewhat because it can be quite a faff.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

Honestly, if you think they had any other choice, you're either trolling or just have no idea how the 'sport' (after today, ha!) works
    So Hamilton couldn't have had a 2nd pit stop? Hamilton had to do 40 laps on a scrub set of hards? Give over. They should have gone 2 stop in the VSC
  • Options
    I see Newcastle are losing because of a dodgy penalty too
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Safety cars often are.

That’s literally the point. The safety car isn’t the problem. The problem is either not letting lapped cars past or letting them all past, not just a select few.
    The safety car is the problem.

The only reason the lapped cars mattered was because it was the final lap. Had it not been the final lap and there were say five laps past then the same thing would have happened even if the lapped cars were dealt with as standard.

The problem is being in a situation where two cars are on old tires with one with a gap in the lead pre Safety Car to resuming with the two cars neck and neck, with the one that was behind now having caught up and got fresh tires on.

The safety car should end with the same time gap between the vehicles as there was when it started and nobody should be able to pit for free.
  • Options

Mr. Max, aye, selectively or partial application of rules is wretched.

Though I would be in favour of altering the safety car rules somewhat because it can be quite a faff.

Which is fine, if the rule existed to just allow the pack to reshuffle behind the safety car and that's how it was always done the strategy calculations are different, Lewis would have come in for new tyres.
  • Options
    We really need to ban the teams lobbying the race director during the race. It's been increasingly silly all season and the last few races have just been daft. Let the guy make the decisions. If you don't like it appeal later.
  • Options

Safety cars often are.

The only reason the lapped cars mattered was because it was the final lap. Had it not been the final lap and there were say five laps past then the same thing would have happened even if the lapped cars were dealt with as standard.

The problem is being in a situation where two cars are on old tires with one with a gap in the lead pre Safety Car to resuming with the two cars neck and neck, with the one that was behind now having caught up and got fresh tires on.

The safety car should end with the same time gap between the vehicles as there was when it started and nobody should be able to pit for free.
    That’s a different conversation. Whatever the merits of the current rules and procedures, they simply weren’t followed
  • Options
    Mr. Pioneers, but he's ahead on track and position is worth a lot. Verstappen would've stayed out and Hamilton might not have been able to pass.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2021
    It’s the last match of the season, Man City are facing Liverpool, level on points going into the match. With 2 minutes to go City are 3-0 up and cruising to the title.

Meanwhile in a mid table whimper at Villa Park, Ashley Young trips over his laces, lands face first on the ball which bobbles into his own net.

In response the referee at Anfield awards Liverpool three goals, stops play and orders a drop ball on City’s goal line, taking away Sterling’s boots before he can take part.
  • Options

Welcome to my Black Country world.
  • Options
    Mr. Pioneers, aye. Wolff complaining and pleading for no safety car was very unedifying.
  • Options

Safety cars often are.

Yeah, that's why the VSC is great.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/1470046661925912581

The regulations on lapped cars during a sc
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Everyone seems to be ignoring that the 'biased' FIA let Lewis stay in front after Max overtook him on Lap 1
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's a loosely motorsport based soap opera for people who don't understand the difference between scrub radius, kingpin angle and offset.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    Official figures show 1,239 confirmed UK cases of the Omicron variant taking the total number to 3,137 - a 65% day-on-day rise

For more on this and other news visit http://news.sky.com
  • Options

Mr. Pioneers, but he's ahead on track and position is worth a lot. Verstappen would've stayed out and Hamilton might not have been able to pass.

Ahead on track on tyres that the driver said would not last, on a pace that could only drop away. They were getting away with it thanks to Hamilton doing an unbelievable job but it was not a guaranteed "we keep track position". They could have matched off Verstappen but chose to leave him out.

Anyway, the whole thing needs to calm down. Both team bosses have acted like whining idiots.
  • Options
    When will the despotic regime realise that being associated with Newcastle is NOT good PR.

https://twitter.com/DavidRoe92/status/1470051053324414978
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Again, with the proviso that I’m not a fan or an expert, I didn’t see any gambling going on.

Red Bull had nothing whatsoever to lose by pitting. If you have nothing to lose, it’s not a gamble. What exactly were they gambling?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

They do that to make the racing competitive, which is fine, but they are supposed to let all of the lapped cars through and for them to catch up to the back of the pack. Those are the rules and the race director has chosen to only let a few through and to also not let the catch up for the restart.
    That is the dodgy element. They did a halfway house. It looked a bespoke fudge to set up a dramatic on-track finish. Very very tough for Lewis. It would have been a special title, maybe his best, and he deserved it. Certainly he didn't deserve to lose it like that. Absolutely gutting. And lots of class in how he took it. I didn't used to like him much but I really do these days. Still, Max is a worthy WDC. It'd be churlish to say it's unmerited. Terrific driver, great to watch, great for the sport. And what a season. F1 now in my top 5 sports. Maybe even top 3.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

They only did that to give Max the win
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    FPT:

@Farooq your problem is you seem to be, like Rochdale, incapable of seeing past "cases = BAD".

For me, as many cases as happen naturally occur is a GOOD thing. Especially if those who are bothered about the virus are protected by wearing a quality FFP2 etc mask while those who aren't, are not wearing one.

That segments the risk so that the right people are getting immunity more, which raises the herd immunity levels for the benefit of everyone including those having to wear a mask because they're afraid.

I don't accept the premise that preventing "cases" is a good thing. It may have been early on in the pandemic pre vaccines but it isn't anymore. I don't want cases reduced by NPIs, so them being reduced by NPIs isn't a benefit.

The BMJ article says how states (and nations) with mask mandates have had lower case rates. That is an argument AGAINST mask mandates for me. Those states have failed to get immunity.

No, you're just attacking straw men now.
    The only point I'm trying to make is that masks work. This is in response to your repeated false assertions that they do not. At no point have I said masks should be mandated, I'm just trying to bring some truth in to usurp your lies.

You seem on the verge in the above post of saying that NPIs do, in fact, work. Alongside a separate argument which is saying that, to paraphrase, "they are bad BECAUSE they work".

Well, it's progress, I guess. I hope you'll stop with your anti-science premises now. I won't even attempt to tackle your argument that it's good to let this spread, not now at least.
  • Options
    Mr. Anabobazina, I agree. For Red Bull, knowing Hamilton had stayed out, pitting was the sensible approach.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Nothing to do with being shit, of course.
  • Options
    UK health agency on Omicron: "This is a big wave, it's coming straight at us, and if we see even half the severity that we saw with Delta, then we're facing a very large number of hospitalizations and potential deaths" - BBC

UK health agency says a number of people with Omicron have now been hospitalized - BBC
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    I stopped watching F1 when it was no longer free to air. That is the first race I have seen for a couple of years.

It was very exciting.

Race control are idiots.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, no, I believe the Belgian farce was because only two or so laps now are needed for it to count as 'half-distance' (I think previously it was a third of race distance). This means half points are awarded and, more importantly, the sport won't refund tickets.
  • Options
    Nice writing, but it’s already obvious that it’s not a proper sport.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    So, will Mercedes challenge Y/N?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    I told you at the very start this would finish in the courts.

Now everyone finally agrees with me.

You can apologise later...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Mr. Pioneers, aye. Wolff complaining and pleading for no safety car was very unedifying.

Alex Ferguson type stuff. It can work or it can backfire.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Farooq said:

FPT:

@Farooq your problem is you seem to be, like Rochdale, incapable of seeing past "cases = BAD".

For me, as many cases as happen naturally occur is a GOOD thing. Especially if those who are bothered about the virus are protected by wearing a quality FFP2 etc mask while those who aren't, are not wearing one.

That segments the risk so that the right people are getting immunity more, which raises the herd immunity levels for the benefit of everyone including those having to wear a mask because they're afraid.

I don't accept the premise that preventing "cases" is a good thing. It may have been early on in the pandemic pre vaccines but it isn't anymore. I don't want cases reduced by NPIs, so them being reduced by NPIs isn't a benefit.

The BMJ article says how states (and nations) with mask mandates have had lower case rates. That is an argument AGAINST mask mandates for me. Those states have failed to get immunity.

No, you're just attacking straw men now.
    The only point I'm trying to make is that masks work. This is in response to your repeated false assertions that they do not. At no point have I said masks should be mandated, I'm just trying to bring some truth in to usurp your lies.

You seem on the verge in the above post of saying that NPIs do, in fact, work. Alongside a separate argument which is saying that, to paraphrase, "they are bad BECAUSE they work".

Well, it's progress, I guess. I hope you'll stop with your anti-science premises now. I won't even attempt to tackle your argument that it's good to let this spread, not now at least.
    No shit Sherlock that masks work. That's why I advocated for them last year.

I dispute that mask mandates work post vaccines because inhibiting those who are not bothered about catching Covid and putting them on the same footing as those who are bothered is a terrible idea.

The only way out of this is immunity. The best way to get immunity is vaccines, we've done that.

The second best way to get immunity is for those who don't care if they get infected, to naturally get infected before those who do care if they do.

Inhibiting the spread of the virus post vaccines is stupid. The sane solution is those who are bothered wear masks to protect themselves and nobody else does.
  • Options

I don't think they will but they absolutely should. The letting lapped cars through bit definitely needs clarification because it completely changes the calculation.
  • Options
    Hamilton has been remarkably gracious given the circumstances. I'm not usually a fan of his off the track, but I think he deserves immense credit for the way he's dealt with the immediate aftermath of that "race".
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, 'a number' isn't much use.

And if it's no higher than Delta than we don't need more restrictions than with Delta.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

If they do RB will counter challenge over that first lap move.

So I guess probably not.

The irony is I suspect it was the accusation of unfairness from RB then that led the race director to contrive the finish he did and lead everyone to a 180 u turn on his ancestry etc.

And yes, we need to stop teams talking to him in the race, particularly when they're cheating lying bastards who don't care about the rules.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    For those who know.
    How do they know how many omicron cases there are? AIUI only 1 in 10 are sampled and sequenced. Is this just an extrapolation from a statistical sample?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,376
    edited December 2021

Mercedes has won the Constructors Championship so I doubt it.

ETA but there is certainly a case for the FIA tidying up its rulebook so that foreseeable scenarios are covered in advance and not left to spur-of-the-moment decisions by referees being harangued by both sides.
  • Options
    Miss Livermore, sounds like Massa in 2008.
  • Options

No. Because the best case scenario is what? That the race gets annulled? In which case Max Verstappen is world champion anyway having won one more race than Hamilton despite being tied on points.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    edited December 2021
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

I'm still trying to comprehend that astonishing report about the academic spat in New Zealand mentioned in the previous thread. If there are so many allegedly smart people in that country who genuinely can't perceive any qualitative difference between the scientific method and Maori mythology then they're done for. They'll be having Pakistani-style blasphemy lynchings for those who profane the indigenous deities a few years further down the line. Total madness.

This is evidence of how identity politics, intersectionality and what may be described as 'woke' thinking have infiltrated the establishment. And the problem is that there are no signs at all that the establishment will correct itself, even when forced to defend key principles on which modern civilisation has been built, for instance the scientific method. It is yet another example of how the west is committing suicide. When you discard your reflexive progressive assumptions and faith in the estalishment; and really see what is happening, the inescapable conclusion is that it all simply has to be stopped before we descend in to the type of problems you describe. We are fast approaching the point where it is politically impossible for the status quo to change course, because even if they can see the madness their supporters do not; so your only option is to vote for a Zemmour or a Trump.
    Post Modernism is a reaction of the fear that there are absolute truths, and that these can render your beliefs... wrong.

The curve of the binding energy is absolute. It cannot be evaded, it cannot be reasoned with. It cannot be asked for an exception. It is oppressive.....

Who are a bunch of nerds, to decide the past, the present and the future, just because?

EDIT: I find the idea of absolute truths - water boils at 100c (with usual caveats), light travel at X etc - *comforting*. These are the foundations on which we build. To others they are terrifying - what if the foundations are in the wrong place?
  • Options

No. Because the best case scenario is what? That the race gets annulled? In which case Max Verstappen is world champion anyway having won one more race than Hamilton despite being tied on points.
    The race is flagged at lap 57, lap 58 is voided.
  • Options

UK health agency on Omicron: "This is a big wave, it's coming straight at us, and if we see even half the severity that we saw with Delta, then we're facing a very large number of hospitalizations and potential deaths" - BBC

UK health agency says a number of people with Omicron have now been hospitalized - BBC

Lockdown incoming on Saturday. Just to add to this afternoon's prevailing mood of jollity after the car racing spat.
This discussion has been closed.