Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

VONCing Boris – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    HYUFD said:

...Boris will survive without a VONC for now, at least until the local elections in May.... I think Boris would still narrowly win it at the moment....

Compare this to HY's previous 90,916 posts to illustrate how much the political climate has now changed....

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    edited December 2021

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

Steve Baker doing the rounds this morning. Don’t rule him out for next PM...

I did a stint on secondment in the RAF. During that time I knew SB by reputation but not personally. That reputation was stellar. He was the unmatched expert on the Adour engine and universally held to be a good bloke.

Bear in mind what it takes me to write something positive about an individual who is both RAF AND a tory.
    That's startling. If he's such an intelligent, good bloke why is he such a dickhead on so many topics I wonder?
    He is opinionated and frequently wrong, which is rarely a great mix, but not a dickhead. Unfailingly polite and for a Brexiteer ringleader at least, honest and up front.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Whilst it seems obvious that Boris is running out of road, I do think there are a number of things that fall in his favour.

Firstly I think he would be better off not being prime minister. This is both literally, and he would welcome the chance to make vast sums on the back of his time as PM and figuratively in as much as his skills seem better suited elsewhere. I think this gives him a less desperate edge than May who seemed to be unable to move in any direction

Secondly he is lucky and is able to take paternity leave over the quieter Christmas period, which could take some of the sting out and let other serious stories come to the fore

Finally I think he is capable of describing the 'parties' in a way that means people would understand. I don't know much about these so called parties as it seems fairly dubious to me, and much less serious than the flat refurbishment fraud, but I work in the civil service and in my wider team there are people who have had to be on site for the entire pandemic. Do I think that they might have took in some mince pies and worn Christmas jumpers and done something a bit fun whilst it was quieter just before Christmas? I can easily see how it would happen and I think Boris could easily spin the story in a positive light provided that only people who would normally be working were there. I think this is much more explicable than going to Barnard Castle.

If he were capable of saying sorry when caught red handed this would all have gone away.

A first response of "At number 10 we were all working incredibly hard last year, often staying late into the evening and eating here. We apologise if any intended business meetings progressed into what others could understand as a party, and will make sure we do better in future", would have made it a one or two day story instead of the enduring one it is due to the lying and taking us for fools.
    I agree and I am unsure how this has blown up out of all proportion when Boris is a fraud in my understanding in his dealings over the flat refurbishment. Unfortunately when cornered most politicians back their own - this is not so clear cut that if this were a Labour Government and labour staff labour supporters would be out in force defending them, and Tories would be calling for heads to roll. I honestly think that the flat issue is indefensible, but as ever most people who dislike Boris hate him so much they lose reason. Just look at the thread headers on this site since Boris took over - every minor bump in the road has been 'terrible news for Boris' when obviously up until now most stuff hasn't stuck.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,530
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It is a national misfortune that we have a man who is by far and away the worst postwar prime minister in office at the time of the worst postwar crisis.

Our view at the Observer: Boris Johnson is unfit to govern Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/12/observer-view-boris-johnson-national-crisis-omicron?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Mr Baker refers to Mr Johnson 'losing the soul' of the Conservative Party. An arresting concept.
    The party sold its soul some years ago surely?
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry
    It’s not for any politician to tell the police how to do their job but it seems to me that the black bin bag over the security camera in this photo is highly suggestive that someone knew what was going on was wrong & not within some spurious legal exception.
    https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1469947203389120512

Politicians should spend a lot less time on twitter. I mean why would you cover up a CCTV. Camera whilst sat on a webcam - bonkers
    All cameras should be covered at all times unless you specifically intend for them to be looking at you. If the goal of the camera is to record what's happening when you're not in the room, it's good practice to apply the bin bag when entering the room in the morning and only remove it when you leave. You should be doing the same with the webcam on the computer, but obviously you need to remove it when you're doing a zoom call.

The same should really apply to microphones which should have hardware switches, unfortunately they don't.

Oh and it turns out you may need to put tape over LEDs:
    https://twitter.com/mlsec/status/1469374394808123401
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Steve Baker suggests even if the PM hasn't broken the law, he/No10 has broken the spirit of the rules

"The public demands politicians comply with the rules they impose on people, and that they are seen to comply with their spirit. It’s pretty obvious now that hasn’t happened."

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1469956852507201539

Truly, people who work in close proximity for something like 50 hours a week spending another few hours together with a few bottles of wine is a national calamity and almost the sole cause of the spread of Covid in this country. Who could doubt it even for a moment?
    As so often before, it's not the original misdemeanour it's the lies to cover it up that do the damage.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    DavidL said:

I am watching Impeachment on BBC Iplayer at the moment. It is a familiar tale about people trying to bring down someone they hated but could not beat electorally by exploiting foibles and trying to pretend that they demonstrated fundamental flaws or an unfitness to govern or whatever else they used to justify their odious behaviour.

Things really haven't changed in the last 25 years, have they?

I have to say that Sarah Poulson is absolutely brilliant as Linda Tripp. The most repulsive, vile and self interested character I have seen since GoT.

What about the possibility that someone might actually be fundamentally flawed and unfit to govern?
  • Options

Whilst it seems obvious that Boris is running out of road, I do think there are a number of things that fall in his favour.

Firstly I think he would be better off not being prime minister. This is both literally, and he would welcome the chance to make vast sums on the back of his time as PM and figuratively in as much as his skills seem better suited elsewhere. I think this gives him a less desperate edge than May who seemed to be unable to move in any direction

Secondly he is lucky and is able to take paternity leave over the quieter Christmas period, which could take some of the sting out and let other serious stories come to the fore

Finally I think he is capable of describing the 'parties' in a way that means people would understand. I don't know much about these so called parties as it seems fairly dubious to me, and much less serious than the flat refurbishment fraud, but I work in the civil service and in my wider team there are people who have had to be on site for the entire pandemic. Do I think that they might have took in some mince pies and worn Christmas jumpers and done something a bit fun whilst it was quieter just before Christmas? I can easily see how it would happen and I think Boris could easily spin the story in a positive light provided that only people who would normally be working were there. I think this is much more explicable than going to Barnard Castle.

If he were capable of saying sorry when caught red handed this would all have gone away.

A first response of "At number 10 we were all working incredibly hard last year, often staying late into the evening and eating here. We apologise if any intended business meetings progressed into what others could understand as a party, and will make sure we do better in future", would have made it a one or two day story instead of the enduring one it is due to the lying and taking us for fools.
    I agree and I am unsure how this has blown up out of all proportion when Boris is a fraud in my understanding in his dealings over the flat refurbishment. Unfortunately when cornered most politicians back their own - this is not so clear cut that if this were a Labour Government and labour staff labour supporters would be out in force defending them, and Tories would be calling for heads to roll. I honestly think that the flat issue is indefensible, but as ever most people who dislike Boris hate him so much they lose reason. Just look at the thread headers on this site since Boris took over - every minor bump in the road has been 'terrible news for Boris' when obviously up until now most stuff hasn't stuck.
    Similar things have happened half a dozen times in two years as PM, so it is easy to understand why. The PM simply does not apologise if he thinks there is even a 1% chance he can get away without doing so. Historians might know, did Churchill ever apologise?
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry
    It’s not for any politician to tell the police how to do their job but it seems to me that the black bin bag over the security camera in this photo is highly suggestive that someone knew what was going on was wrong & not within some spurious legal exception.

Even if it's true that it shows he was doing something wrong you don't know whether it was something unacceptable like having a christmas party or some routine wrongdoing that the voters expect of Boris, like corruption or marital infidelity.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Steve Baker suggests even if the PM hasn't broken the law, he/No10 has broken the spirit of the rules

"The public demands politicians comply with the rules they impose on people, and that they are seen to comply with their spirit. It’s pretty obvious now that hasn’t happened."

Truly, people who work in close proximity for something like 50 hours a week spending another few hours together with a few bottles of wine is a national calamity and almost the sole cause of the spread of Covid in this country. Who could doubt it even for a moment?
    As so often before, it's not the original misdemeanour it's the lies to cover it up that do the damage.
    Ever since Watergate that has been the media's go to excuse to justify hours and hours and hours of droning on about some trivia that missed its mark in the first instance. It wore thin a very long time ago.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    Asked if the PM was breaking the law, Keir Starmer says: “It looks as though he was.”

“The most significant issue here is the breach of trust.”

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1469960738492067840
  • Options
    Keir Starmer says it “looks as if” Boris Johnson broke the law when he hosted a Christmas quiz in No 10.

“He is the worst possible leader at the worst possible time.”

#Marr

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1469960973557673993
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited December 2021
    Starmer on Marr confirms Labour will vote with the government and back Plan B and vaxports (ideally linked to negative tests) in the Commons on Tuesday in support of the NHS and the public, despite the fact Boris is in his words 'unfit for office'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Ever since Watergate that has been the media's go to excuse to justify hours and hours and hours of droning on about some trivia that missed its mark in the first instance. It wore thin a very long time ago.
    Since long before Watergate (e.g. Profumo). So why do the idiots keep making the same mistake?

Also, I'm surprised you put such a low value on probity in politicians tbh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Starmer on Marr confirms Labour will vote with the government and back Plan B and vaxports (ideally linked to negative tests) in the Commons on Tuesday in support of the NHS and the public, despite the fact Boris is in his words 'unfit for office'

Sensible approach from Captain Sensible.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,057
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Free the Boris, one?
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

Even if it's true that it shows he was doing something wrong you don't know whether it was something unacceptable like having a christmas party or some routine wrongdoing that the voters expect of Boris, like corruption or marital infidelity.
    It's curtains...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Better than Corbyn voting against May's Deal even though he largely agreed with it anyway
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

That's a QC spreading an obvious falsehood.

She has now removed that tweet, but WTF did she think she was doing?

I just searched twitter 'latest' for "bin bag" - there are well over 200 of them in just the last 5 minutes, with lots of those Nats who had seen Cherry's moronic lie.

And only about 3 of them saying 'no, it's a curtain'
  • Options

Similar things have happened half a dozen times in two years as PM, so it is easy to understand why. The PM simply does not apologise if he thinks there is even a 1% chance he can get away without doing so. Historians might know, did Churchill ever apologise?
    Churchill certainly spoke of making mistakes in the prosecution of the war.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I think people would rather be governed by truth-telling adults. I am guessing that if a similar shindig were suggested in your office/chambers in the same legal setting you would say, Just no. It's not as if we are discussing a buch of undergraduates, and it's not as if this is an isolated instance of lying.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

It is a national misfortune that we have a man who is by far and away the worst postwar prime minister in office at the time of the worst postwar crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/12/observer-view-boris-johnson-national-crisis-omicron?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Mr Baker refers to Mr Johnson 'losing the soul' of the Conservative Party. An arresting concept.
    The Conservative Party had a soul?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

I am watching Impeachment on BBC Iplayer at the moment. It is a familiar tale about people trying to bring down someone they hated but could not beat electorally by exploiting foibles and trying to pretend that they demonstrated fundamental flaws or an unfitness to govern or whatever else they used to justify their odious behaviour.

I have to say that Sarah Poulson is absolutely brilliant as Linda Tripp. The most repulsive, vile and self interested character I have seen since GoT.

What about the possibility that someone might actually be fundamentally flawed and unfit to govern?
    In an ideal world I would like to have a PM who is a good family man, who adores his wife and who lives by a strict moral code but, frankly, these are nice to haves. What we absolutely need in a leader is someone who gets the big calls right and steers us through difficult times. Boris's record on this is mixed, I don't dispute that for a moment. For every good call there is an unnecessary blunder, sometimes more than one.

But I am sick to death of this gotcha mentality in the media which means every little thing has to be the big thing and all sense of proportion is lost. There was a stunning interview by Justin Webb on Friday on the Today program where he was frothing that Labour was missing out on the chance to damage the PM by voting for new restrictions next week. The Labour Shadow gently tried to point out that what Labour was doing was supporting the recommendations of the CMO and the CSO and that just might be just a little more important than some political spat.

If I was editor of the Today program Webb would have done his last interview. It would have disgraced a red top chasing down a dodgy celebrity. For the BBC it was unacceptable.
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

I just searched twitter 'latest' for "bin bag" - there are well over 200 of them in just the last 5 minutes, with lots of those Nats who had seen Cherry's moronic lie.

Probably better, a bin bag might be too thin.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Boris Johnson denies hosting quiz at No 10, as it was actually an emergency Cobra meeting to determine which Irish singer-songwriter released the 1990 hit single ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’.
    https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1469961480082804738

Fake News...

The actual question was "What number of vaccines did Priti Patel state at her news conference?"
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

Probably better, a bin bag might be too thin.
    Everyone knows you need a tinfoil hat to cover security cameras.
  • Options

Flat refurb
    Paterson
    Afghan dog evacuation
    Partygate

The scandals just keep rolling in.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, but it's not the events in themselves that are the key issue, is it?

It's the Prime Minister's constant lying and dissembling.
  • Options
    Anyone know what whippage the government is applying to this vote?

After all, the PM has form for kicking people out or the party when they don't support him on a crucial vote.

(He won't though, will he?)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Quite a good nickname for SKS, I like it. A good strategy is to follow the advice in his big hit:

https://youtu.be/_zCnxt7myl4

• Options
    Latest North of England sub-sample from YouGov:

Labour 48%
    Conservatives 28%
    Greens 8%
    Reform 7%
    Lib Dems 6%
    others 3%

(Weighted sample = 420; 9-10 Dec)

Red Wall Con MPs worried yet?
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

It's not obvious that it's a curtain until you see other pictures of the room tbf.

When the bin bag was first mentioned last night I thought it looked a bit of a stretch but from the Mirror's photo I could see how people might interpret it as such.
  • Options
    As Boris Johnson’s standing with voters bombs because they don’t trust him, a reminder that my monologue broadcast during the 2019 GE when it was clear he was bottling out of an interview with me, said it would have centred on issues of trust — or lack of.
    https://twitter.com/robburl/status/1468524940282327041
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The biggest threat to Boris Johnson’s premiership is Boris Johnson. He has his fate in his own hands. He needs to simply shut up for a while, preferably several months. Lose weight, train, total alcohol abstinence. He needs to roll up his sleeves and get a grip on his work: read the paperwork, do the homework: focus single-mindedly on the job. Can he do it? I don’t know.

I do. He can't.

He isn't going to become a completely different person in his late 50s. Frankly, why should he? The tories are minded to indulge his dishonesty, laziness and incompetence for a good while yet.
    Upon reflection, you’re right. We all know that the old dog cannot learn new tricks.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,057

Flat refurb
    Paterson
    Afghan dog evacuation
    Partygate

The scandals just keep rolling in.
    I've just had a worrying thought, which might make us step back from toppling Johnson.

Will Steve Baker approve of Carrie's wallpaper, or will we have to go through another flat refurbishment?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Jonathan said:

Would be very surprised if Boris goes despite him breaking the rules. If the Tory party and its voters were particularly concerned about integrity, Boris would not have made it to number ten in the first place. Arguably they put him there to break things, rules etc.

To survive he needs to do two things:

Get through the next month. Easiest option is to lockdown making that the news rather than him. Otherwise could just take the paternity leave route which might work as well.

Reframe a couple of major issues so the Tory vote feel it is Boris and them vs the enemy. France is the most obvious opportunity for this.

I just don't buy that people are surprised and just learning that the PM is a liar and cheat. They voted for him because they were quite happy with a liar and cheat as long as he was on their side. It is that feeling of being on their side he needs to restore, and past experience suggests that is one thing is he actually very good at.
    If it once becomes clear to a victim that they’ve been gaslighted, they become much less susceptible to the practice.
    If it’s a nationwide group, all the more so.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

In an ideal world I would like to have a PM who is a good family man, who adores his wife and who lives by a strict moral code but, frankly, these are nice to haves. What we absolutely need in a leader is someone who gets the big calls right and steers us through difficult times. Boris's record on this is mixed, I don't dispute that for a moment. For every good call there is an unnecessary blunder, sometimes more than one.

But I am sick to death of this gotcha mentality in the media which means every little thing has to be the big thing and all sense of proportion is lost. There was a stunning interview by Justin Webb on Friday on the Today program where he was frothing that Labour was missing out on the chance to damage the PM by voting for new restrictions next week. The Labour Shadow gently tried to point out that what Labour was doing was supporting the recommendations of the CMO and the CSO and that just might be just a little more important than some political spat.

If I was editor of the Today program Webb would have done his last interview. It would have disgraced a red top chasing down a dodgy celebrity. For the BBC it was unacceptable.
    This is how news stories develop. Its the "does it have legs" test - if the story is going to keep going it walks / runs along under its own steam pulling in new information and new angles.

The "gotcha" is that they have caught him forcing people to die alone / give birth alone / live miserably whilst he and his ignore the rules they have imposed and carry on like they are ordained by God to do whatever they like.

People are outraged. Viscerally. Which superheats whatever new angles and information break. Propelling the story along every faster. The only way out for the PM is for a bigger story to replace it, but as Covid is powering up and lockdown is in the wings waiting to come on, this one will run and run getting bigger and bigger.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Since long before Watergate (e.g. Profumo). So why do the idiots keep making the same mistake?

It's a certain cynicism. It's what politicians do. They lie. I am now old enough not to put faith in any of the breed of any stripe. Judge them by their actions and their results, not by what they say unless you can independently vouch it. That way you can be disappointed slightly less often.

Personally, I value the truth very highly. It's one of the reasons why I was never cut out for politics.
  • Options
    ‘I have been repeatedly assured I was not at the party’
    https://twitter.com/Sime0nStylites/status/1469926039237373952
  • Options
    Prof Francois Balloux
    @BallouxFrancois
    The Omicron outbreak in SA with its extraordinary fast rise, and apparently nearly equally fast fall, is one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen during my career as an infectious disease epidemiologist.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The thing is that Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. He is the Aldridge Prior of politics. Having a Prime Minister who is completely untrustworthy is highly damaging, even when he is telling the truth. If Johnson said that the sun will rise in the east, people would doubt it.

If the Tories want a sound family man, sober and of sound morals they only need to look to number 11.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

Steve Baker doing the rounds this morning. Don’t rule him out for next PM...

I did a stint on secondment in the RAF. During that time I knew SB by reputation but not personally. That reputation was stellar. He was the unmatched expert on the Adour engine and universally held to be a good bloke.

Bear in mind what it takes me to write something positive about an individual who is both RAF AND a tory.
    Be honest, if he didn’t ride a bike would you still feel the faint stirrings of affinity?
    Good point. A friend once told me Esther McVey was one of the nicest people he'd met.....and on the other hand that well loved character in ......... was hated by the entire cast and crew. I prefer to go on the evidence. Tory>Brexiteer>....
  • Options
    One Minister says of Boris Johnson's govt: "It’s endemic. They can’t help themselves. It’s like an addiction. Every time they are presented with any sort of problem, the default position is to just lie about it rather than actually tackle it."
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1469965622310490114
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1469953766615097347
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Quite a good nickname for SKS, I like it. A good strategy is to follow the advice in his big hit:

Haha - that's a piss-poor cover of Happy Talk though. How did it ever get to number 1?
  • Options
    While I've advocated for a VONC I'm not expecting one in the short-term.

I expect the Lib Dems will win NS next week with a majority in the thousands, but then we're into Christmas and people will switch off from politics for a few weeks.

In January people won't be bothered about 'Last Christmas' parties anymore, they'll be bothered by what happened this Christmas and any possible Omicron restrictions in January. If the UK ends up back in lockdown then the PM must be ousted.

The UK should be almost uniquely well-placed to ride an Omicron wave without lockdown thanks to very high vaccine rates, booster rates, plus having the exit wave over the summer boosting natural immunity too. If we avoid an Omicron lockdown and other nations don't, then that could boost the government's popularity again prior to other possible news stories moving the agenda on like Article 16 being invoked.

For the bet I wouldn't take the bet either way as there's too many complications. If Boris really gets mired in worse he could jump before being pushed. Even if Boris recovers from this in January then it wouldn't pay out until potentially 2024 and there's always the possibility to have a VONC in 2023 on entirely unrelated matters.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

After the last GE it has a new Northern Soul.

But will they Keep the Faith?
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, any chance of a weather update? Rain's forecast, right?

:p
  • Options

Prominent doltage -

@joannaccherry

It's not obvious that it's a curtain until you see other pictures of the room tbf.

When the bin bag was first mentioned last night I thought it looked a bit of a stretch but from the Mirror's photo I could see how people might interpret it as such.
    It's obvious to anybody who engages their brain that it's definitely not a bin bag.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Would be very surprised if Boris goes despite him breaking the rules. If the Tory party and its voters were particularly concerned about integrity, Boris would not have made it to number ten in the first place. Arguably they put him there to break things, rules etc.

Get through the next month. Easiest option is to lockdown making that the news rather than him. Otherwise could just take the paternity leave route which might work as well.

Reframe a couple of major issues so the Tory vote feel it is Boris and them vs the enemy. France is the most obvious opportunity for this.

I just don't buy that people are surprised and just learning that the PM is a liar and cheat. They voted for him because they were quite happy with a liar and cheat as long as he was on their side. It is that feeling of being on their side he needs to restore, and past experience suggests that is one thing is he actually very good at.
    If it once becomes clear to a victim that they’ve been gaslighted, they become much less susceptible to the practice.
    Is that right? Doesn't seem to the case with Trump at all?

I think an election winning coalition can be kept together with an us vs them attitude even if the leader of us is a proven and known incompetent liar.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a certain cynicism. It's what politicians do. They lie. I am now old enough not to put faith in any of the breed of any stripe. Judge them by their actions and their results, not by what they say unless you can independently vouch it. That way you can be disappointed slightly less often.

Personally, I value the truth very highly. It's one of the reasons why I was never cut out for politics.
    I don't doubt that you value the truth very highly, your posts give that impression.

I am old enough to remember when a minister was expected resigned for lying. I dont see why we should accept a lower standard today.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris has lost the Observer? Well it must be all over then!

Boris isn't even the worst Prime Minister of the last three years, let alone postwar.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The thing is that Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. He is the Aldridge Pryor of politics. Having a Prime Minister who is completely untrustworthy is highly damaging, even when he is telling the truth. If Johnson said that the sun will rise in the east, people would doubt it.

If the Tories want a sound family man, sober and of sound morals they only need to look to number 11.
    Liz Truss has leaked the treasury post-Autumn-statement party, helpfully.

What do you know about his morals, soundness or familyness? All I know about him, is his relentless self promotion: government posters with his personal signature on them and so on. And let's not forget the implied deal under which he became CotE.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The thing is that Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. He is the Aldridge Prior of politics. Having a Prime Minister who is completely untrustworthy is highly damaging, even when he is telling the truth. If Johnson said that the sun will rise in the east, people would doubt it.

The Chancellor who piled necessary taxes on NI instead of IT or a capital tax of some description? Who cut the benefits of the poorest to balance the books whilst protecting wealthy pensioners, again? I am a fan but no one in politics deserves adoration or unqualified admiration.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris wants to be remembered as the new Churchill. If this carries on he'll be remembered as the new Nixon > Mail On Sunday > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10299841/DAN-HODGES-Boris-Johnson-heir-Churchill-Hes-beginning-look-like-Tricky-Dicky.html

A devastating critique but one that will do him more damage in the history books than it will now. To-days jury are Red Wall Brexiteers.
    Many of whom read the Mail. More, of course, the Sun.
  • Options
    (Labour) Cllr John Haywood
    @ringwodian
    51s
    Is that a bin bag over a CCTV camera?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

After the last GE it has a new Northern Soul.

But will they Keep the Faith?
    I think that electorally the Red Wall is a Casino, and Golden Torch of Tory MP prospects. And all because of The Snake.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,846

Mr. Sandpit, any chance of a weather update? Rain's forecast, right?

:p

Current conditions:
    TRACK TEMP 34.7 °
    AIR TEMP 25.7
    WET/DRY 0
    WIND SPEED 0.5 mps
    HUMIDITY 54.6%
    PRESSURE 1017.8 mBar

The only thing we are expecting to fall from the sky today, is the confetti in the cannons on the podium.
  • Options
    Nadhim Zahawi's line that the staff in the No10 quiz were there because "they had to respond to a national emergency" is in no way undermined by the fact that one of them is wearing tinsel.
    https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1469967317773828099

Nadhim Zahawi seems on the brink of arguing tinsel was standard No 10 office attire here #Marr
    https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1469967488049942534
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

I think an election winning coalition can be kept together with an us vs them attitude even if the leader of us is a proven and known incompetent liar.
    I am pretty sure the Trumpites do not realise he has gaslighted them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

What the two things have in common is that leaders were brutally and undeniably exposed as inveterate and deliberate liars.
    I’ll grant you that Boris is probably not engaged in a criminal conspiracy to subvert the electoral process. On the other hand, I’ve missed your complaints about the relentless trivia - prime ministerial photo ops, for instance - that the media subjects us to the rest of the time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

This is how news stories develop. Its the "does it have legs" test - if the story is going to keep going it walks / runs along under its own steam pulling in new information and new angles.

The "gotcha" is that they have caught him forcing people to die alone / give birth alone / live miserably whilst he and his ignore the rules they have imposed and carry on like they are ordained by God to do whatever they like.

People are outraged. Viscerally. Which superheats whatever new angles and information break. Propelling the story along every faster. The only way out for the PM is for a bigger story to replace it, but as Covid is powering up and lockdown is in the wings waiting to come on, this one will run and run getting bigger and bigger.
    Does it ever cross your mind that the way our media "develop" news stories is just a little bit sick and self interested, feeding on themselves and eventually eating themselves?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

But you are a prosecutor. Criminals gonna crime, it's what they do. Is that a reason for *not* jumping on them as hard and painfully as possible whenever they get caught at it?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think what Trump does is really gas-lighting. Gas-lighting is telling people lies that make them doubt their own judgement. Trump's strategy is:

- Tell supporters lies they want to believe
    - Rile up opponents in ways that play into messages he wants to get over to supporters
    - Lie constantly so that "Trump lies" isn't a story
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

If you get all your news from Fox, Facebook and worse, would you have the information to make that judgement?

Having news sources that are aware they ought to try to be impartial is a blooming good thing.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    Watching Zahawi on Marr, he clearly doesn’t understand other factors on exponential growth. He suggests 1 million cases by the end of the month means 2 million three days later, then 4 three days after that. Keep going, we’re all dead by the 30th jan. Yes exponential rise at first, but it ALWAYS slows.
    Is he spinning a line to get the message across, or does he believe what he is saying/has been told?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The Chancellor who piled necessary taxes on NI instead of IT or a capital tax of some description? Who cut the benefits of the poorest to balance the books whilst protecting wealthy pensioners, again? I am a fan but no one in politics deserves adoration or unqualified admiration.
    I think Sunak would struggle with the Red Wall, but would win back a lot of the Blue Wall.

I wouldn't vote for him, but he does at least have some personal integrity, a pretty rare thing in this cabinet. Leader replacements are usually to rectify the manifest defects of the outgoing one, and often over done as a result. I think Rishi will get it.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

That might be true for some of his hardcore but lots of his voters do know, probably the majority of Republican voters. Even back in 2016 there were lots of Republican voters based on he is a lying asshole but he is better than Clinton.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099

Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

The triumph of hope over experience.

I just can’t see Johnson going voluntarily, and the polling numbers are nowhere near bad enough to trigger a large rebellion. A Lib Dem by election gain would be shrugged off easily, as they so often have been before. A Hold will be spun as a BJ triumph in the current climate.

The biggest threat to Boris Johnson’s premiership is Boris Johnson. He has his fate in his own hands. He needs to simply shut up for a while, preferably several months. Lose weight, train, total alcohol abstinence. He needs to roll up his sleeves and get a grip on his work: read the paperwork, do the homework: focus single-mindedly on the job. Can he do it? I don’t know.

What he just cannot afford to do is deliver gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. Again. It’s just not funny anymore.

If I was a fan of Smarkets (I’m not) I’d be backing No.

I think it likely there is a VONC, but that he survives it, and that means a year of safety. That would push a further VONC very close to a GE.

Timing is everything in comedy.
    Nothing more likely to shore up Boris than the opposition overplaying the hand. Blackford might have got headlines, but in calling for Boris’ resignation he made it far harder for Tories to break cover. The opposition needs to place the traps and wait. So far Starmer is playing it well.
    Whilst it's in the national interest for BoJo to go pronto, it's in the partisan interest of the opposition for him to be there in 2024.

And @foxy has solved the problem of the complacency-despair gap. The scriptwriters are spoiling us:

Now-December 2022: Complacency
    December 2022: A VONC that BoJo survives
    December 2022-3: BoJo is immune
    December 2023-4: Too late, too far behind, better to rebuild in opposition...

It's all a bit unlikely, but that's how Jeffrey Archer would plot it.
    The immunity from a repeat VONC for a year is one of the sillier rules. I can see why it is there, but if a situation is dire enough for a VONC to be triggered then there has to be a fairly good chance that it will deteriorate further within that year, a clear and obvious majority of the PCP will then have had enough, and the leader will be ousted by the time-honoured mechanism of the Cabinet telling them that it's all over - as happened with May.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Starmer took exactly that line on Marr. Marr pushed, but Starmer was firm. We're on the science.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Boris has lost the Observer? Well it must be all over then!

Boris isn't even the worst Prime Minister of the last three years, let alone postwar.
    We';ve certainly not dome well recently. And people used to complain about Harold Wilson!
  • Options
    This health department stops ‘all COVID-19 related work’ after Missouri AG threat
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article256462541.html
    The local health department of a rural southern Missouri county is halting its COVID-19 response efforts after Attorney General Eric Schmitt wrote agencies this week demanding they drop mitigation measures. The Laclede County Health Department, which serves a 35,000-person county northeast of Springfield, made the announcement in a Facebook post Thursday morning that it was suspending “all COVID-19 related work.” It will no longer investigate COVID cases, contact-trace, issue directives for exposed residents to quarantine themselves or make public announcements of case numbers and deaths. The department pointed residents to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and their personal doctors for directions on what to do about a COVID diagnosis. Cases have been on the uptick in Laclede County since mid-November, according to the state health department. Just 35% of the population is fully vaccinated
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The thing is that Johnson couldn't lie straight in bed. He is the Aldridge Pryor of politics. Having a Prime Minister who is completely untrustworthy is highly damaging, even when he is telling the truth. If Johnson said that the sun will rise in the east, people would doubt it.

What do you know about his morals, soundness or familyness? All I know about him, is his relentless self promotion: government posters with his personal signature on them and so on. And let's not forget the implied deal under which he became CotE.
    He certainly is ambitious, but you won't find a story of sleaze or infidelity about him, because there isn't one.
  • Options

Watching Zahawi on Marr, he clearly doesn’t understand other factors on exponential growth. He suggests 1 million cases by the end of the month means 2 million three days later, then 4 three days after that. Keep going, we’re all dead by the 30th jan. Yes exponential rise at first, but it ALWAYS slows.
    Is he spinning a line to get the message across, or does he believe what he is saying/has been told?

This 1m number is annoying. It seems to have been plucked out of thin air as it is a big round number.

A couple of days ago Sky reported the UKHSA as correcting it to 1m cumulative cases by the end of the month. Which is even weirder as that is fairly similar to current run rate and run rate for last few months in the first place.

Today we are back to ministers using it as 1m cases on a given day.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think what Trump does is really gas-lighting. Gas-lighting is telling people lies that make them doubt their own judgement. Trump's strategy is:

- Rile up opponents in ways that play into messages he wants to get over to supporters
    Is that not the same as Bozo?
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Haha - that's a piss-poor cover of Happy Talk though. How did it ever get to number 1?
    Rather liked the cover of the cover, though, especially the girl with orange hair. She must be a gran by now, as, alas, am I.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

He certainly is ambitious, but you won't find a story of sleaze or infidelity about him, because there isn't one.
    He can afford not to be sleazy, he doesn't get the cleanest bill of health over his city career, and infidelity is none of our business, but an easy thing to cover up anyway if approached intelligently and methodically.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120

This 1m number is annoying. It seems to have been plucked out of thin air as it is a big round number.

A couple of days ago Sky reported the UKHSA as correcting it to 1m cumulative cases by the end of the month. Which is even weirder as that is fairly similar to current run rate and run rate for last few months in the first place.

I think you are on the money. It a suspiciously large, easy number. I’m not saying it’s impossible for 31st dec having 1,000,000 new cases, but I think there is more chance of me winning the GP thus afternoon. There is a lack of clarity in the messaging. Assuming the ons figures are about right, probably around a million people in the U.K. would test positive today. But that’s not what they are saying (I think).
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,099

Labour 48%
    Conservatives 28%
    Greens 8%
    Reform 7%
    Lib Dems 6%
    others 3%

The sub-sample size is only 115, but Opinium has Labour leading by 50% - 37% in seats gained by the Tories in 2019. Labour are also only just behind, by 38% - 35% in seats held by the Tories in 2019.
  • Options

I think you are on the money. It a suspiciously large, easy number. I’m not saying it’s impossible for 31st dec having 1,000,000 new cases, but I think there is more chance of me winning the GP thus afternoon. There is a lack of clarity in the messaging. Assuming the ons figures are about right, probably around a million people in the U.K. would test positive today. But that’s not what they are saying (I think).
    Balloux is astonished how fast SA rose and is now falling. Or appears to be.

I wonder whether Michael Levitt has done a gompertz curve for it yet?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I also don't think Johnson has made good calls. I can credit him with early energy on the vaccination programme, but not a lot else.

All the evidence suggests the vaccine rollout was a success despite BoZo
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2021
    Johnson is not going to be ousted and neither do the opposition want him to be. He is completely and irretrievably damaged. He is a now seen as a ridiculous caricature. 'Ratner' has been the benchmark for a brand collapsing thanks to the failings of it's owner. Well the lucky man has just been eclipsed
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The Chancellor knows who the Tory base is (and of course he only ended the extension of a UC uplift he had given the poorest in the first place)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,908
    Scott_xP said:

FF43 said:

I also don't think Johnson has made good calls. I can credit him with early energy on the vaccination programme, but not a lot else.

All the evidence suggests the vaccine rollout was a success despite BoZo
    No, it really doesn't.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    11h
    I wonder whether the aides allegedly "spooked" by the vaxx effectiveness data grasp that only of order 22% of adults are in the "only 2 doses & no infection" category?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

Is that not the same as Bozo?
    Yes, he runs a less extreme version of the same playbook.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Perhaps SKS could make a humorous virtue of his perceived boringness like Steve David and James Milner have in the past? Done in the right way a self-deprecating “Captain Sensible” image could be a winner.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    11h
    I wonder whether the aides allegedly "spooked" by the vaxx effectiveness data grasp that only of order 22% of adults are in the "only 2 doses & no infection" category?

I've just spent a bit of time looking at the booster data - that has sped along in the background. Think there'll be an inflection at 60 % coverage - which should be hit just after Christmas.

Throw in nearly 11 million infections and 47 million second doses.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,908

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    11h

Including me (until Thursday, hopefully).

Can I be spooked? :(
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    2h
    Boris Johnson accused of flouting THREE Covid lockdown rules in late-night dinner date with wife Carrie last year. Imagine everyone's surprise
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Like you I don't care too much whether people had parties a year ago and I might prefer discussion of Johnson's unfitness to govern revolved around things that have mattered and do matter.

Johnson's flaws go far beyond not being a family man. He has no concept of the truth, doesn't distinguish right from wrong, is utterly irresponsible, has a despotic tendency and is chaotic in his dealings. Nothing has changed in the past couple of weeks. All of this was obvious from the off to anyone paying attention and that cares.

I also don't think Johnson has made good calls in general. I can credit him with early energy on the vaccination programme, but not a lot else.
    It seems to me the most important skill for a UKPM is to get a good and consistent team around them. Johnson's fear of rivals, frequent changes in direction depending on who has his ear, the lack of trust and confidence that builds up from his actions make it impossible for him to succeed in that. The only clearly successful cabinet minister, Sunak, was promoted in haste when his boss resigned over interference from no 10 at a time when Sunak was probably not seen as a threat.
  • Options

Labour 48%
    Conservatives 28%
    Greens 8%
    Reform 7%
    Lib Dems 6%
    others 3%

The sub-sample size is only 115, but Opinium has Labour leading by 50% - 37% in seats gained by the Tories in 2019. Labour are also only just behind, by 38% - 35% in seats held by the Tories in 2019.
    The subsample size is 425 unweighted and 420 weighted:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/1pef8g69b8/Times_Results_211210_VI.pdf
  • Options

Indeed. On the principle that I had two parents, four grand-parents and eight great-grand-parents it's fairly easy to demonstrate that the world's population at the time of the Pharaohs was greater than it is today.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited December 2021

Balloux is astonished how fast SA rose and is now falling. Or appears to be.

I wonder whether Michael Levitt has done a gompertz curve for it yet?
    What's interesting is the Omicron has a much shorter incubation period which could also be related to a much shorter infection time and it's seeming mildness in already immune people. Essentially people with immunity can recognise it and eradicate it before it becomes serious. Triple jabbed people have got enough antibodies to neutralise it completely.

Once again we come down to the same issue, the UK government is ramping Omicron to move the media agenda away from dodgy parties.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Labour 48%
    Conservatives 28%
    Greens 8%
    Reform 7%
    Lib Dems 6%
    others 3%

✊ comrades
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Does it ever cross your mind that the way our media "develop" news stories is just a little bit sick and self interested, feeding on themselves and eventually eating themselves?
    And does it cross your mind David that this is precisely what we the consumers of the media want.

Not seeing Socialist Worker or An Phoblact featured in What The Papers Say.

Same with the royals coverage.

It's what we want.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

The Chancellor knows who the Tory base is (and of course he only ended the extension of a UC uplift he had given the poorest in the first place)
    His job is to govern for the country as a whole and in particular for those who need the most help to live a decent life whether because of ill health, incapacity, afflictions etc. But he is not the worst and would make a good replacement if the current hysteria carries Boris away, which it might.
This discussion has been closed.