Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And so the polls close in Old Bexley & Sidcup – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609

If the swing in the national polls showing a tie were replicated, the result would be

Con 58
    Lab 30
    Ref 5
    LD 3
    Gr 4

which is much as he collectively predict, except we think there will be a bigger Con-Ref swing (which is likely 'cos they've made a proper local effort)

If RefUK can't get at least 10% in a seat like this they might as well give up altogether IMO.
  • Options

Silly Horse! But keep smiling. 🙂
    If they lost Newport then they would be near extinction
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Silly Horse! But keep smiling. 🙂
    If they lost Newport then they would be near extinction
    👍🏻
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't wish to belittle the suffering of a PBer but is the person who thought he was one of the first people in the UK to get covid now thinking he's one of the first people in the UK to get omicron ?

I am aware of the faintly ludicrous nature of this, nonetheless PHE was convinced I had it the first time, and my symptoms this time certainly match the descriptions. Let’s wait and see for my PCR. If it turns out I actually have Ebola you can come and heckle at my cremation
    It could be that, or it could be Cyberchondria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-P30s7c1d0
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

HYUFD said:

The word is a very low turnout in Bexley and Sidcup by-election
    https://twitter.com/TVRav/status/1466545867968581634?s=20
    Polling stations have closed in Old Bexley and Sidcup

Last ballot box to arrive at around midnight

Told to expect a result some time around 0200

Talking to people on the ground, low turnout expected
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1466527755479273488?s=20

Brilliant reporting as ever HYUFD!

Will you be going to Shropshire too? Or would you need PB to have a whip round to send you on your way?
    He has access to a selection of armoured vehicles.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

slade said:

Lab hold in Newport.

You do brilliant work on this every week Slade 👍🏻

And named yourself after a great band too!
    Actually it is the name of the ward I used to represent.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    isam said:

Seems like the Islamic shopping centre in Romford has not been popular with locals. Nasty stuff, but are shop workers ‘key workers’? I thought that applied to teachers, nurses etc

https://twitter.com/profimranawan/status/1466122608206761991?s=21

Of course shop workers are key workers. They've been considered key workers the entire pandemic, except for shops that weren't trading.
  • Options
    Get your booster.....
    Friday’s TIMES: “Jab results boost hopes of beating Omicron” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://t.co/QlyrAPqBcG

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1466537323869487107?t=siDaxp2l-wVnBUwF0mjfMw&s=19
  • Options

One thing we can all agree on, the Conservatives mustn’t be lazy about ReformUK if it proves they were effective at siphoning voters away from the Conservatives. If you read the Telegraph or Mail, reform party is closer to your instincts than the muddled mess the Conservatives offering under Boris?

What I mean is, in safe places like this a bit of siphoning won’t make a big difference on general Election Day, but there’s lots of places it will.

How will a slick Reform campaign go in the red wall, where Brexit voters have only voted Conservative once, and Boris promise breaking bungling Peppa Pig of a government was the result? What I mean is, put Conservative and Reform numbers together and it’s a clear win in places Labour retake the seat.

It seems clear in my head but does it make sense?

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Refuk are a joke for fruitcake, nuts and loons. A certain someone would fit in perfectly.

Refuk's "standing in the back, dressed stupidly, and looking stupid party" may work in a Dunny-on-the-Wold by-election but they're absolute nobodies for a General Election.
    standing in the back, dressed stupidly, and looking stupid

Aren’t you confusing them with the Loony’s?

Reform are new party who can’t be called UKIP because UKIP won the war and are now carrying on battling the Conservative Party from the right to shape the right of centre agenda in this country, and if successful as UKIP at pressuring the Conservatives party they will again influence Conservative party policy and thinking.

They were very slick here. Their appeal neatly bullet pointed in attractive populist policy slogans.
    Are you trying to say there's a difference between Refuk and Loony's?

I apologise. That's offensive to the Loony's.
    Okay. Understand you have strong feelings that lever, so getting granola flagging up the lonny bits from their manifesto should be easy to you.

Here you are.

Reform our Economy: to succeed, we must become a low tax, smartly regulated, high growth economy. Faster growth is the only way to better wages and more tax revenues to invest in better healthcare and other public services. Our bold economic vision frees up over 6 million people from paying income tax and over 1.2 million small businesses/self employed from paying corporation tax. We would also remove a raft of stifling taxes. This will generate much faster growth.

Reform our Institutions: major change is needed to the bodies that impact on our lives, the unelected cronyism of the House of Lords, the outdated civil service, the bloated BBC. Reform is essential to our voting system so it is fairer, more representative; the two party system embeds the status quo and prevents real change.
    We must return all our liberties to the people. We must preserve freedom of speech. We must control our borders properly. We must protect our proud heritage from the woke folk and celebrate our nation’s incredible successes. 

We are growing fast, and standing hundreds of candidates in the forthcoming elections.

The economic comments are sensible but lets be honest next to nobody is voting for them for economics.

But banging on about woke and heritage etc is just a deranged attempt to import American culture wars and that's all they ever really speak about.
    Culture war features a lot on this site, in a pro ReformUK way! It features a lot in Conservative government position too!

Is there anything loony about their position on House of Lords?
  • Options

One thing we can all agree on, the Conservatives mustn’t be lazy about ReformUK if it proves they were effective at siphoning voters away from the Conservatives. If you read the Telegraph or Mail, reform party is closer to your instincts than the muddled mess the Conservatives offering under Boris?

What I mean is, in safe places like this a bit of siphoning won’t make a big difference on general Election Day, but there’s lots of places it will.

How will a slick Reform campaign go in the red wall, where Brexit voters have only voted Conservative once, and Boris promise breaking bungling Peppa Pig of a government was the result? What I mean is, put Conservative and Reform numbers together and it’s a clear win in places Labour retake the seat.

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Refuk are a joke for fruitcake, nuts and loons. A certain someone would fit in perfectly.

Refuk's "standing in the back, dressed stupidly, and looking stupid party" may work in a Dunny-on-the-Wold by-election but they're absolute nobodies for a General Election.

Reform are new party who can’t be called UKIP because UKIP won the war and are now carrying on battling the Conservative Party from the right to shape the right of centre agenda in this country, and if successful as UKIP at pressuring the Conservatives party they will again influence Conservative party policy and thinking.

They were very slick here. Their appeal neatly bullet pointed in attractive populist policy slogans.

Okay. Understand you have strong feelings that lever, so getting granola flagging up the lonny bits from their manifesto should be easy to you.

Here you are.

Reform our Economy: to succeed, we must become a low tax, smartly regulated, high growth economy. Faster growth is the only way to better wages and more tax revenues to invest in better healthcare and other public services. Our bold economic vision frees up over 6 million people from paying income tax and over 1.2 million small businesses/self employed from paying corporation tax. We would also remove a raft of stifling taxes. This will generate much faster growth.

Reform our Institutions: major change is needed to the bodies that impact on our lives, the unelected cronyism of the House of Lords, the outdated civil service, the bloated BBC. Reform is essential to our voting system so it is fairer, more representative; the two party system embeds the status quo and prevents real change.
    We must return all our liberties to the people. We must preserve freedom of speech. We must control our borders properly. We must protect our proud heritage from the woke folk and celebrate our nation’s incredible successes. 

We are growing fast, and standing hundreds of candidates in the forthcoming elections.

The economic comments are sensible but lets be honest next to nobody is voting for them for economics.

But banging on about woke and heritage etc is just a deranged attempt to import American culture wars and that's all they ever really speak about.
    Culture war features a lot on this site, in a pro ReformUK way! It features a lot in Conservative government position too!

No, but voting reform yes absolutely.
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

Lab hold in Newport.

You do brilliant work on this every week Slade 👍🏻

And named yourself after a great band too!
    Actually it is the name of the ward I used to represent.
    Sorry. 🤭
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited December 2021

isam said:

Seems like the Islamic shopping centre in Romford has not been popular with locals. Nasty stuff, but are shop workers ‘key workers’? I thought that applied to teachers, nurses etc

Of course shop workers are key workers. They've been considered key workers the entire pandemic, except for shops that weren't trading.
    Oh right, didn’t know

Upon looking it up…

“ someone who does a job that is important for society, for example, a nurse, teacher, or police officer:”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/key-worker
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh right, didn’t know
    Hard to feed yourself if the shops are closed.

Hard for shops to open without workers.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Consolidated predictions, collected for fun. Broadly in line for most but huge differences on RefUK. Not sure who OBS is - the same as Pro Rata?

Con     Lab   Ref LD  Gr  Other   Turnout
    Me 48 32 11 3 3 2 40
    Foxy 46 34 8 3 5 4 38
    AndyJS 44 28 20 5 2 1 38
    OBS Pro Rata 42 31 16 5 6
    Philip Thompson 43 35 13 4 3 2
    Rottenborough Con 1st, Ref 2nd
    Algarkirk Con by 10 4-5
    Bjo 45 27 15 6 5 2

LAST time 64.5 23.5 0 8.3 3.2
    I predicted Con by 15 points in the previous thread.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Oh right, didn’t know

I edited my post - dictionary says it’s police, nurses etc
  • Options
    Tory by 4,000 votes would be in line with my prediction. Sky News saying 3-5K
  • Options

Leon said:

Yes, hope you recover soon, Leon - sounds horrible. One of my team has been completely knocked out by a throat bug - signed off for 10 days so far.

It could of course be nothing - as in, nothing as “interesting” as Omicron. I’ve definitely got some virus but we’ve all been so virus-avoidant for 2 years i guess we are now ultra-susceptible to any bug going

eg I haven’t had a cold since 2019. And I normally get the standard 2-3 a year

FWIW right now I just feel wretchedly tired (again) but also bored and frustrated. I’m in one of the most beautiful corners of Britain and I’m stuck in bed. Perhaps that is a good sign. Boredom

I can also hear the River Monnow right outside my bedroom window, under the birches: rushing in her eagerness, down from the russet hills, like a young girl singing as she runs to a lover. Beautiful

Why is the sound of water so soothing to the soul?

I remember visiting a 9th century lunatic asylum in Damascus (one of the first in the world). Every group of cells surrounded a sunlit courtyard with a lovely fountain, and runnels of water. The guide said that early Islamic doctors thought that the music of moving water did more for mental health than anything else
    “ I can also hear the River Monnow right outside my bedroom window, under the birches: rushing in her eagerness, down from the russet hills, like a young girl singing as she runs to a lover. “.

Wow. 🤗

Please take this seriously, you could make money writing for Mills&Broom.

Or People’s Friend.
    It’s not the first time you’ve done it Leon probably without even realising it.

I,never met my granny, she dies four years before I was born, but I know every year she had things printed in the Peoples Friend Year book.

One of the things published, taking the dogs and the grand kids up the hill to watch the summer solstice sunrise, your writing is nearly as good as hers. Seriously you ought to think about that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh right, didn’t know

I edited my post - dictionary says it’s police, nurses etc
    Yes and shop workers are in the etc as their job is 'important to society' as without shops we wouldn't have any food etc
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,149

Leon said:

Yes, hope you recover soon, Leon - sounds horrible. One of my team has been completely knocked out by a throat bug - signed off for 10 days so far.

It could of course be nothing - as in, nothing as “interesting” as Omicron. I’ve definitely got some virus but we’ve all been so virus-avoidant for 2 years i guess we are now ultra-susceptible to any bug going

FWIW right now I just feel wretchedly tired (again) but also bored and frustrated. I’m in one of the most beautiful corners of Britain and I’m stuck in bed. Perhaps that is a good sign. Boredom

I can also hear the River Monnow right outside my bedroom window, under the birches: rushing in her eagerness, down from the russet hills, like a young girl singing as she runs to a lover. Beautiful

I remember visiting a 9th century lunatic asylum in Damascus (one of the first in the world). Every group of cells surrounded a sunlit courtyard with a lovely fountain, and runnels of water. The guide said that early Islamic doctors thought that the music of moving water did more for mental health than anything else
    “ I can also hear the River Monnow right outside my bedroom window, under the birches: rushing in her eagerness, down from the russet hills, like a young girl singing as she runs to a lover. “.

Wow. 🤗

Or People’s Friend.

I,never met my granny, she dies four years before I was born, but I know every year she had things printed in the Peoples Friend Year book.

One of the things published, taking the dogs and the grand kids up the hill to watch the summer solstice sunrise, your writing is nearly as good as hers. Seriously you ought to think about that.
    Thankyou, you bring me much solace in my time of trials
  • Options

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Here you are.

Voting reform so that bigger % of votes cast go straight into bin as no consequence is the Loony bit of all that?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Wow. 🤗

Or People’s Friend.

Thankyou, you bring me much solace in my time of trials
    No worries. ❤️

Hope you feel better soon and don’t get too ill.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

Don’t go back to the other thread, just stay on this one now.
  • Options
    Hermitage (Breckland) by-election result:

CON: 45.0% (-26.3)
    LDEM: 40.9% (+40.9)
    LAB: 12.2% (-16.5)
    WPGB: 1.9% (+1.9)

Conservative HOLD.
  • Options
    If the Tories have only won Bexley by say 3,000 votes it doesn't look particularly good for their prospects in North Shropshire.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Big LD gain in Lancaster too.
    From Tories.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Thangam Debbonaire very, very good for Labour on Question Time tonight.
  • Options

Thangam Debbonaire very, very good for Labour on Question Time tonight.

She's one of Labour's best MPs in my opinion.
  • Options
    Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge has announced she will be stepping down as an MP at the next general election, after 27 years in Parliament.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The Upper Lune ward - sounds a good place to be.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    U.S. reports more than 100,000 coronavirus cases for 4th day in a row

If teenage mutant ninja covid can eaaily reinfect, especially the unvaxxed, the US are in for another world of hurt.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge has announced she will be stepping down as an MP at the next general election, after 27 years in Parliament.

I posted that at 10.09pm
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Used to play rugby against Vale of Lune. They weren't half as scary as that might imply.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh right, didn’t know

Upon looking it up…

“ someone who does a job that is important for society, for example, a nurse, teacher, or police officer:”

I thought a key worker was someone who was employed by Yale or Chubb.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh right, didn’t know

Upon looking it up…

I thought a key worker was someone who was employed by Yale or Chubb.
    Timpsons.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Andy_JS said:

Majority last time was 19,000 on a 67% turnout. If the turnout is 40%, say, that would (if proportionately shared) in itself reduce the majority to 13,000. 3000-5000 is pretty weak - I think less than your 44-28 prediction? But it's hard to calculate with the RefUK unknown.
  • Options
    Margaret Hodge, Labour MP for Barking since 1994, has announced to her CLP that she will be standing down at the next General Election.
  • Options
    Leon said:

They'd clearly never tried lithium.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Margaret Hodge, Labour MP for Barking since 1994, has announced to her CLP that she will be standing down at the next General Election.

As FU posted at 23.51pm and someone else at 22.09!!!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Best candidate name in locals tonight is Bruce Rainbow.
    Tory in Wealden. And LGBT friendly professional wrestler by night. Maybe.

In Old Bexley the English Democrats have a trans fromager as their candidate: Elaine Cheeseman.
    There ae multiple Elaine Cheeseman's on LinkedIn.

Seriously.
  • Options
    Con gain in North Norfolk. The Norman Lamb effect seems to have worn thin.
  • Options

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Here you are.

Voting reform so that bigger % of votes cast go straight into bin as no consequence is the Loony bit of all that?
    Oops. I mean the current system bins too many honest votes. A top up system does so many other countries like Germany no harm.

You can tell I vote libdem because I really believe in this, what you call Reforms only loony policy 🙂

Having big party players like leaders and cabinets have to have a constituency is counter to the constituency idea as when will they have time to do that properly? You really wouldn’t want them not running country to do that. Constituency’s, maybe multi member, and party have lists for top up based on their % of vote.

It’s a no brainier not loony.
  • Options

isam said:

Food shop workers, specifically. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
  • Options
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Definitely a ward inviting tactical voting - the LibDems were just 17 behind the Tories, with Labour well back on 92 votes. A key subtext of the two Parly by-elections is how far tactical voting actually happens.
  • Options
    slade said:

Con gain in North Norfolk. The Norman Lamb effect seems to have worn thin.

Stalham (North Norfolk) by-election result:

CON: 55.2% (+25.9)
    LDEM: 37.0% (-11.1)
    LAB: 7.8% (-0.2)

Conservative GAIN from Liberal Democrat.

No Grn (-14.6) as prev.

Votes cast: 1,013
  • Options
    Luney swings here.

Upper Lune Valley (Lancaster) by-election result:

LDEM: 63.1% (+19.1)
    CON: 29.6% (-16.3)
    GRN: 3.9% (+3.9)
    LAB: 3.4% (-6.7)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative
  • Options

isam said:

Food shop workers, specifically. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
    Of course, working at Europe’s biggest Fish Mela was always going to be categorised as ‘key’, silly me!
  • Options
    By contrast.

• Options
    Those boosted with Pfizer after two doses of AstraZeneca had antibody levels a month later nearly 25 times higher than controls.

Wow 🤯

As someone who has had two doses of AstraZeneca (getting my first just days before they said not to give it to under 40s) I'm very glad they're extending boosters to under-40s now.
  • Options
    How pathetic is this?! Rigging the parameters so the side you dislike can’t win, whilst trying to come across as impartial and analytic

‘Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election ratings:

CON:
    Poor result- Below 50%
    Uncomfortable result- 50-55%
    Acceptable result- 55%+

LAB:
    Poor result- Below 25%
    Fair result- 25-30%
    Strong result- 30%+

REF:
    Poor result- Around 5% or below
    Fair result- 10%
    Strong result- 15%+’

https://twitter.com/willgeorgelloyd/status/1466319518620389379?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

By contrast.

Clearly an independent had taken a lot of Tory votes there previously.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Andy_JS said:

Majority last time was 19,000 on a 67% turnout. If the turnout is 40%, say, that would (if proportionately shared) in itself reduce the majority to 13,000. 3000-5000 is pretty weak - I think less than your 44-28 prediction? But it's hard to calculate with the RefUK unknown.
    No, Sky sounds right, for eg my predix

Turnout 26k (40%)

Con, 13k (50%)
    Lab, 8k (30%)
    Ref, 2.6k (10%)

Majority 5k
  • Options
    Green gain in Wealden.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021

Those boosted with Pfizer after two doses of AstraZeneca had antibody levels a month later nearly 25 times higher than controls.

Wow 🤯

As someone who has had two doses of AstraZeneca (getting my first just days before they said not to give it to under 40s) I'm very glad they're extending boosters to under-40s now.
    They really should have gone mix and match for the booster.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Big hugs to @Leon and get better soon!
  • Options
    isam said:

How pathetic is this?! Rigging the parameters so the side you dislike can’t win, whilst trying to come across as impartial and analytic

CON:
    Poor result- Below 50%
    Acceptable result- 55%+

LAB:
    Poor result- Below 25%
    Fair result- 25-30%
    Strong result- 30%+

REF:
    Fair result- 10%
    Strong result- 15%+’

Can I simplify it?

Poor result: Losing.
    Good result: Winning.
  • Options
    Turn out. Low. Low. Low.
  • Options
    Lab down to 3% in Lancastet.

Have they ever polled lower in a council election? Down from 10% last time
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    isam said:

CON:
    Poor result- Below 50%
    Acceptable result- 55%+

LAB:
    Poor result- Below 25%
    Fair result- 25-30%
    Strong result- 30%+

REF:
    Fair result- 10%
    Strong result- 15%+’

More or less pathetic than posting some random from Twitter just to virtue signal?
  • Options

isam said:

CON:
    Poor result- Below 50%
    Acceptable result- 55%+

LAB:
    Poor result- Below 25%
    Fair result- 25-30%
    Strong result- 30%+

REF:
    Fair result- 10%
    Strong result- 15%+’

More or less pathetic than posting some random from Twitter just to virtue signal?
    Virtue signal? I’m just pointing out how ridiculous it is.

Sorry to offend you, I know you don’t like the Tories either
  • Options

Wow 🤯

Paging that clown Macron.....
  • Options
    I’m tired now will cuddle into sleeping beauty and get warm. Good night 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815

isam said:

CON:
    Poor result- Below 50%
    Acceptable result- 55%+

LAB:
    Poor result- Below 25%
    Fair result- 25-30%
    Strong result- 30%+

REF:
    Fair result- 10%
    Strong result- 15%+’

I mean that's about 90% of Scott P's output on here... ;)

Good evening PB! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I had a feeling the previous turnout predictions might be a touch optimistic.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Lovely. One of the pleasantest nights of my life was in Gradara on the Adriatic - I'd been invited to stay for a long weekend to give talks at a board gaming event in the nearby castle, as my first book had just come out in Italian. I took a friend and we got a room in a hotel facing a beach, illuminated faintly by a crescent moon. We were soothed to sleep by the rolling tide.

The castle's fun too - was owned by a family through the middle ages and included a small torture room, apparently something that every des res in those days liked to have to discourage undesirable visitors.
  • Options
    Tonight One Show Only - Old Bexley and Sidcup!

See the sights, hear the sounds, smell the stenches of this classic British comic duo doing their timeless turn, "How By Must You Be to Win a By-Election? Or What the Psephologist Said".
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

My prediction was 16% lead on a 38% turnout which would be about 4,000 if my maths is correct.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2021
    Con 11000
    Lab 7000

My prediction
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

By contrast.

Clearly an independent had taken a lot of Tory votes there previously.
    It's actually the Green who didn't stand this time.
    I follow these but I don't take any one, or even any one evening very seriously at all. Local factors blah, blah.
    But, over time, patterns emerge. The prevailing pattern is that UNS will be utterly useless next time. The Tories are holding up, and even advancing, in enough places to make a majority highly probable. With a few shocking gains, and more equally shocking losses along the way.
    Which is peculiar, as we are all supposed to be more interconnected than ever.
  • Options
    LPM by election insight.

The winner is either CON. Or not CON.

Probably CON by a small margin.

Goodnight 👍
  • Options
    slade said:

Green gain in Wealden.

Bruce Rainbow felled. He can go back to donning a cape and mask as the queasy evening falls over the mean streets of East Sussex.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Here you are.

I'm not sure that's right. The Tories finally lost my vote over the NI hike to pay for rich oldies in the SE, although their excessively slow approach to Covid unlocking wasn't doing them any favours in my opinion either (they had almost won back that lost ground by remaining sane against the screaming hordes of zero Covid loons before the latest stupid mask wearing panic).

I can't be the only one for whom the Tory decision to become the party of massive tax and spend is the final straw.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited December 2021
    21,788 votes cast (34%)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I had a feeling the previous turnout predictions might be a touch optimistic.
    Yes, confirmed now. 21788 votes cast. If our mean guesses (46/30/13) were right, that would mean
    Con 10118
    Lab 6560
    Ref 2832

- majority of 3600, fits with what we heard earlier from the Tory camp, which would be an 8% swing. But they may habve been playing the expectations game.

• Options
    21,788 34% turnout
  • Options
    21,788 34% turnout
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

21,788 votes cast (34%)

Turnout of roughly 33%.

If Labour managed to turnout all their 2019 voters they'd be on 49.7% of the vote... which would surprise most of us.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Wisdom of crowds department: our mean prediction based on 8 posts with detailed numbers is

Con 46 (-18)
    Lab 30 (+6)
    Ref 11 (+11)
    LD 4 (=)
    Gr 3 (=)
    Turnout 37%

I reckon Cons would be publicly satisfied but uneasy about the rise of Ref, Lab would note the 12% swing but feel privately meh, Ref would be thrilled, everyone else would shrug. (After a couple of days, we'd all shrug.)

Using the turnout figure of 34% / 21,788 gives roughly:

Con 10,000
    Lab 6,500
    Ref 2,400
    LD 870
    Gr 650

Tory maj 3,500
  • Options

Con 11000
    Lab 7000

My prediction

Lab got 11,000 in "even Corbyn" 2019
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Double gain for LD's in Lancaster. Both from Tories.
    Trebled their councillors in one night.
    Conservatives fall to FOURTH.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

ping said:

Richard Vernalls
    @rvernallsPA
    ·
    1h
    Hat tip to fellow journalist
    @CarlJackson_LDR @birmingham_live who, out of all the press covering the trial, logged more hours than any other reporter, inc. sitting through each of Tustin’s harrowing recordings. He helped give Arthur back a voice, making sure his truth was told:

Yes. Carl Jackson’s piece is excellent;

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/two-killer-parents-hateful-stepmum-22348931
    Moving, terrible piece.

Is there a prison sentence long enough? Hoping the judge throws the book at the wall.
    What a very grim read. Superb journalism but the evil described is unbearable.

That poor child. RIP.
  • Options
    theProle said:

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Here you are.

I'm not sure that's right. The Tories finally lost my vote over the NI hike to pay for rich oldies in the SE, although their excessively slow approach to Covid unlocking wasn't doing them any favours in my opinion either (they had almost won back that lost ground by remaining sane against the screaming hordes of zero Covid loons before the latest stupid mask wearing panic).

I can't be the only one for whom the Tory decision to become the party of massive tax and spend is the final straw.
    I left the Tories over that too, as did from memory Casino, Max and Robert. It went down very badly on this site.

However are you going to Refuk?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A 'Bare' victory.
  • Options
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

A 'Bare' victory.
    Used to come back from the Lakes past Bare Women's Institute. How I laughed!
    I was 35 years old.
  • Options
    Apart from N Norfolk, the Tories are having a dire night. Not that that means a great deal.
  • Options
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

A 'Bare' victory.
    Actually that is amazing. There must have been some local issues or a brilliant Lib Dem campaign
  • Options
    Does (or rather does not) low turnout OB&S versus B&S 47.5% and C&A 52%, suggest that sizable share of normal Tory vote has NOT turned out today?
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

dixiedean said:

A 'Bare' victory.
    Actually that is amazing. There must have been some local issues or a brilliant Lib Dem campaign
    Yes. Up from fourth.
  • Options

Does (or rather does not) low turnout OB&S versus B&S 47.5% and C&A 52%, suggest that sizable share of normal Tory vote has NOT turned out today?

Definitely. Huge numbers of Tory voters have decided they couldn't be bothered to vote, assuming their party would scrape home whatever happens.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

21,788 34% turnout

That's a BAD turnout. Should be alright for Tories tonight. Bodes ill for Shrophire North - real stay at home issues.
  • Options

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Isn't that almost exactly the same phrase David Cameron used to describe Nigel Farage, UKIP, and his Brexit ambitions about 10 years ago?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Definitely. Huge numbers of Tory voters have decided they couldn't be bothered to vote, assuming their party would scrape home whatever happens.
    Or. Deciding they haven't earned their vote this time of course.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What do you think HYUFD

😂

Isn't that almost exactly the same phrase David Cameron used to describe Nigel Farage, UKIP, and his Brexit ambitions about 10 years ago?
    Did you think that was a coincidence? 😏
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    Andy_JS said:

Alternatively, previous Conservative voters have been disenchanted with the incompetence, corruption and dithering of Mr Johnson's version of a Conservative government. They want none of it.
  • Options
    Sky: We wanted to speak to a Labour spokesperson but there are no MPs here at the count.

Hardly sounds like Labour are confident.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

Possibly - although could also argue that time of year and increased worry about Covid would both point to lower turnout across supporters of all parties.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

Alternatively, previous Conservative voters have been disenchanted with the incompetence, corruption and dithering of Mr Johnson's version of a Conservative government. They want none of it.
    You keep flogging that dead horse.

Say it often enough, and you might even convince yourself its true.

Goodnight everyone.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Andy_JS said:

Those two explanations aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Options

Or it suggests that it's a cold day and the outcome isn't in doubt.
  • Options
    The odds in North Shropshire are slowly moving in a LD direction.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.190523448
This discussion has been closed.