Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mayoral Mispricings – A new gambling maxim? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Sandpit said:

Is it WHO that decides variant names?

This apparent skipping of Xi is just pathetic.

I'm no fan of China and despise President Xi but skipping a person's name isn't pathetic.
    For storms, often causing loss of life, we use nothing but people's names.
    Generic names deliberately not associated with anyone.

A bit different to naming a Covid variant with the President of China's name.

I doubt for some reason storm Arwen is going to be followed with Boris. I certainly don't expect a hurricane Joe any time soon.
    You do feel sorry for people who get their names appropriated, for one bad reason or another. Ask anyone called Alexa, or Karen.
    I think the way Amazon appropriated the name Alexa is disgraceful. Completely destroyed that name.
    There is a brand of satellite navigation products that I would like banned.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Betting Post *racing post (no pun intended)

It’s a fluid situation with inspections, counting fences to still see if they have enough, The Great British Weather has cancelled Bangor cards, but it looks like everything else will, touch wood, go ahead?

Glen Forsa has come in to favourite as Stodge said it would with Stodge already on it before the movement.

I love the flat - it's in my top 5 fav sports - but I've never been able to get into the jumps anything like as much.
    Although I do get excited watching all races with skin to win in it, I also enjoy seeing all the TV coverage of courses on race day and how the coverage gives me feelings of being there. Do you know what I mean? I love this time of year and know now I should have set up more trips. My friend went out to the pub with friends to watch the rugby last week. They know to leave me to my thing Saturday afternoons.

I have been on better runs than this though closest to winner was two seconds last Saturday.

EDITED - Newcastle cards definitely on
    Yes, I get that about jump racing. Crisp day, Barbour on, you know the horses because they have long careers. It's closer to the fans, in a sense more authentic than the flat. But me, I'd rather be in the Spring sun at Newmarket, watching the debut of some 2 yo bought for millions by somebody with too much money. Also the flat season has a richer narrative than the jumps. The jumps is dominated by Cheltenham, it's all about the Festival apart from some standalones like the KG on Boxing Day and the Grand Nat.
    Well, it isn't crisp at Doncaster races today.

Sleet blowing hard across the finishing straight at times. About 1/2 in of sleety rain overnight, so going won't be terribly good, even if it does drain pretty well being on sand.
    Rather you than me. You can almost see my parents house from there btw. I can ask them to put the kettle on if you want to stop by after and warm up.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

I'm no fan of China and despise President Xi but skipping a person's name isn't pathetic.

I doubt for some reason storm Arwen is going to be followed with Boris. I certainly don't expect a hurricane Joe any time soon.
    You do feel sorry for people who get their names appropriated, for one bad reason or another. Ask anyone called Alexa, or Karen.
    I think the way Amazon appropriated the name Alexa is disgraceful. Completely destroyed that name.
    And Amazon, for that matter. A river, apparently
    Could be worse. I know a girl called Isis.
    Is she a mystical child by any chance?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

And Amazon, for that matter. A river, apparently
    Could be worse. I know a girl called Isis.
    My great uncle Adolf had a very difficult time during the war.

In the end he switched to his middle name. Unfortunately that was Fritz, so he wasn't really better off.
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Or X Æ A-Xii.
    Its poor Noonoo I feel sorry for at the moment. A harmless hoover whose name is being simultaneously appropriated by a lethal virus and @Leon's ex's naughty bits. Harsh.
    PB pedantry: was it not rather Leon's ex who appropriated the name for his nether bits? But one might be wrong. One did not look more closely when he came out with that snippet of data.
    I am honestly not sure. Or interested.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2021
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Happy Lancashire Day!

I'm making a hotpot.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle
    @CommonsSpeaker
    I would like to wish everyone a happy Lancashire Day! Today commemorates the day in 1295 when Lancashire first sent representatives to Parliament to visit the Model Parliament of King Edward I.
    https://twitter.com/CommonsSpeaker/status/1464564665871077377

With kidneys?
    Of course!

I might skip the 'traditional' oysters (from when they were 'traditionally' cheap!) though..
    The problem with making Lancashire hotpot with kidneys is that lamb kidneys need much less cooking than scrag end, so they end up tough. Cumberland hotpot, with black pudding, is much nice IMO.
    I've found that and now cook the lamb a while before making the hotpot up. Last time I cooked it, I slow cooked some lamb shanks first and used that meat. Worked really well.
    I could not eat kidneys.
    I draw the line at Matzo balls
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    I’m getting good at fourth place 🤦‍♀️

DavidL said:

Financially, I'm planning my career on the basis that I could be dismissed - or find my position untenable - in my career at any point in the next 20 years. I am therefore putting much more into S&S ISAs and deleveraging on debt than I otherwise would do if I were more confident.

Why? I think the risk unlikely but I don't always express myself in the optimal way using the correct terminology and I can occasionally be impulsive. Because I can't be sure of which way the wind will blow it's a risk I'm now actively looking to mitigate, just as I do with critical illness or life assurance, so if I do have to switch career or take a low-lying job in future it won't adversely affect me or my family too much.

Having the ability to tell those you work for to piss off if you feel strongly enough about it is surely one of the greatest luxuries you can give yourself. I have always suspected that it is one of the major advantages that the progeny of the well off have and helps them on the road to success. They can afford to take a risk or stand on principle in a way that does them no harm in the long run whilst the less well off can't.
    Not sure if BJ counts as the progeny of the well off, but is he the exception that proves the stand on principle rule?
    No, because its the choice that matters. The fact that he is a somewhat unlikely candidate for standing on principle does not mean he does not have the choice.

On reflection, standing for the leadership of Leave against Cameron just might have been an example. Had he lost, as he was expected to do, he may well have found himself out of mainstream politics. But he had a lot of other, more lucrative options.

The test is when you really start to feel the compulsion to vote Lib Dem.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It’s a fluid situation with inspections, counting fences to still see if they have enough, The Great British Weather has cancelled Bangor cards, but it looks like everything else will, touch wood, go ahead?

Glen Forsa has come in to favourite as Stodge said it would with Stodge already on it before the movement.

I love the flat - it's in my top 5 fav sports - but I've never been able to get into the jumps anything like as much.
    Although I do get excited watching all races with skin to win in it, I also enjoy seeing all the TV coverage of courses on race day and how the coverage gives me feelings of being there. Do you know what I mean? I love this time of year and know now I should have set up more trips. My friend went out to the pub with friends to watch the rugby last week. They know to leave me to my thing Saturday afternoons.

I have been on better runs than this though closest to winner was two seconds last Saturday.

Yes, I get that about jump racing. Crisp day, Barbour on, you know the horses because they have long careers. It's closer to the fans, in a sense more authentic than the flat. But me, I'd rather be in the Spring sun at Newmarket, watching the debut of some 2 yo bought for millions by somebody with too much money. Also the flat season has a richer narrative than the jumps. The jumps is dominated by Cheltenham, it's all about the Festival apart from some standalones like the KG on Boxing Day and the Grand Nat.

Sleet blowing hard across the finishing straight at times. About 1/2 in of sleety rain overnight, so going won't be terribly good, even if it does drain pretty well being on sand.
    Rather you than me. You can almost see my parents house from there btw. I can ask them to put the kettle on if you want to stop by after and warm up.
    I'm not on the course today, too nesh for that.

I usually go down to the start line out on the common somewhere - I'm not a fan of the stands. As you must know there is free access, although that makes it hard to manage at times. I did once witness someone casually walking a dog across the track about 30 seconds in front of the St Leger...

Just passing by on the way back from a booster. AZ/AZ and now Moderna. Yay!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587

Sandpit said:

Farage has done far worse things to some of us...
    DavidL said:

The test is when you really start to feel the compulsion to vote Lib Dem.
    Maybe that’s why I do vote Lib Dem. and Lord Bucket face.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    edited November 2021
    OFSTED in the news again.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/nov/27/ofsted-inspections-headteachers-quit

They perform an essential role. Very badly.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not on the course today, too nesh for that.

I usually go down to the start line out on the common somewhere - I'm not a fan of the stands. As you must know there is free access, although that makes it hard to manage at times. I did once witness someone casually walking a dog across the track about 30 seconds in front of the St Leger...

Just passing by on the way back from a booster. AZ/AZ and now Moderna. Yay!
    Watch out for the kick. 12 hours on for me.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Financially, I'm planning my career on the basis that I could be dismissed - or find my position untenable - in my career at any point in the next 20 years. I am therefore putting much more into S&S ISAs and deleveraging on debt than I otherwise would do if I were more confident.

Why? I think the risk unlikely but I don't always express myself in the optimal way using the correct terminology and I can occasionally be impulsive. Because I can't be sure of which way the wind will blow it's a risk I'm now actively looking to mitigate, just as I do with critical illness or life assurance, so if I do have to switch career or take a low-lying job in future it won't adversely affect me or my family too much.

Having the ability to tell those you work for to piss off if you feel strongly enough about it is surely one of the greatest luxuries you can give yourself. I have always suspected that it is one of the major advantages that the progeny of the well off have and helps them on the road to success. They can afford to take a risk or stand on principle in a way that does them no harm in the long run whilst the less well off can't.
    Not sure if BJ counts as the progeny of the well off, but is he the exception that proves the stand on principle rule?
    No, because its the choice that matters. The fact that he is a somewhat unlikely candidate for standing on principle does not mean he does not have the choice.

On reflection, standing for the leadership of Leave against Cameron just might have been an example. Had he lost, as he was expected to do, he may well have found himself out of mainstream politics. But he had a lot of other, more lucrative options.
    One feels for BJ and his dark night of the soul when he had to decide which EU article to send in.
  • Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

There's some names that you wonder why they've become more popular.

Apparently Damian has become more popular almost every year since The Omen came out.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:
    Calm down Leo..er..IshmaelZ.

#OMFGicron
  • Four more countries on the red list.

Boris and two advisers will be doing a briefing this afternoon.
  • Carnyx said:

Happy Lancashire Day!

I'm making a hotpot.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle
    @CommonsSpeaker
    I would like to wish everyone a happy Lancashire Day! Today commemorates the day in 1295 when Lancashire first sent representatives to Parliament to visit the Model Parliament of King Edward I.
    https://twitter.com/CommonsSpeaker/status/1464564665871077377

With kidneys?
    Of course!

I might skip the 'traditional' oysters (from when they were 'traditionally' cheap!) though..
    The problem with making Lancashire hotpot with kidneys is that lamb kidneys need much less cooking than scrag end, so they end up tough. Cumberland hotpot, with black pudding, is much nice IMO.
    I've found that and now cook the lamb a while before making the hotpot up. Last time I cooked it, I slow cooked some lamb shanks first and used that meat. Worked really well.
    I used to do that with steak and kidney pudding, even ox kidney needs less cooking than old fashioned stewing beef (shin). So I made beef stew sans kidney and added the kidney later for another hour or so steaming.

Lambs' kidneys are excellent devilled for breakfast, of course.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Apparently Damian has become more popular almost every year since The Omen came out.
    Helpful to have a demonic child.
    Keeps the neighbours in line.
  • dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

High turnover in nannies mind.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

One feels for BJ and his dark night of the soul when he had to decide which EU article to send in.
    In fairness, I have vague recollections of posting lists of arguments in favour of each choice on here. It was a difficult call, even without the complication of personal ambition.
    edited November 2021
    Malc! 😍

Newcastle loves you.
    edited November 2021
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder if PM's wife has telekinetic powers? Might explain some things...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:
    Yeah , when I got my Pfizer booster I felt so fcuking immortal I thought, cigarettes used to be nice...
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

In fairness, I have vague recollections of posting lists of arguments in favour of each choice on here. It was a difficult call, even without the complication of personal ambition.
    I'd imagine personal ambition figured strongly in BJ's pondering; Remain wins, issue settled for foreseeable future, BJ's chances of becoming PM zero. Lo and behold, here we are with the FLSOJ and his Churchill cosplay act.
  • Not sure I can stand another lockdown but if it’s necessary…

Can somebody tell me how bad things are?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    edited November 2021

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Didn't need to mess the rest of us up big-time, though.
    edited November 2021

Not sure I can stand another lockdown but if it’s necessary…

How bad? I need a winner from somewhere and I’m eyeing up your avatar picture.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

You know the chicken at Tresky's Restaurant? It's worse.
    ping said:
    At least we get to run the Omicron vs Delta experiment for ourselves.

Does this mean we are going to be red listed everywhere?

Four more countries on the red list.

So long as Thailand's not among them.
  • Mr. Battery, suspect it won't change too much, to be honest, but we shall see.

I feel sorry for Delta Goodrem. Much more delightful than Xi Jinping but they didn't have any problem naming a variant Delta.
  • Four more countries on the red list.

Four in Southern Africa. Don't have the exact details

Four more countries on the red list.

Four in Southern Africa. Don't have the exact details
    Relief. Thanks. Long way to go, though.

Don’t worry for now. Assuming you are double faxed you will be ok, even if the new variant is more transmissable than delta. You may get sick, but not badly. Chances of complete immune escape (so back to the star of the pandemic) are negligible.
  • I expect Boris to say:

We have acted quickly with countries on red list, flight bans and targeted testing for the two cases so far

Get your booster now

No Plan B yet but we are watching the situation so everyone be careful.

• I expect Boris to say:

We have acted quickly with countries on red list, flight bans and targeted testing for the two cases so far

Get your booster now

James Doleman
    @jamesdoleman
    ·
    10m
    Johnson working on a Saturday?
    Must be serious.

If you want a horse to come fourth at any price, i’m your tipster. 🤷‍♀️

I expect Boris to say:

Get your booster now

Numerous umms, ers, alases and diversions in there.
    What time is the PM on?
  • dixiedean said:

What time is the PM on?

5pm, per Sky
  • I hope we get the opportunity for some Winter Olympics Starmer puns.

Like Downhill, or Slalom Sir Keir
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Afternoon all :)

Despite cold and rain, Mrs Stodge and I reached Barking and have had our booster vaccinations. Very well organised in the main shopping centre in Barking occupying two vacant units.

Not only older people getting their booster but a good number of younger people getting perhaps a second or maybe even first vaccination.

We've had Pfizer so we'll see if there are any side effects.

On far more important and interesting matters, I've been a horse racing fan since I was a wee lad - I had a great uncle who was a failed bookie and I'm now a failed punter so I'm keeping the family tradition going.

I enjoy races with a story - seeing how a race develops, the twists and turns, it's almost theatrical in its evolution and denouement. This can occur in any race from a 5 furlong sprint to a 4 and a half mile chase.
  • dixiedean said:

What time is the PM on?

5pm, per Sky
    Five PMs? Blimey!
  • dixiedean said:

I expect Boris to say:

Get your booster now

Extra bullshit bingo points for impressions of mechanical devices and references to children's cartoon characters
    edited November 2021
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Despite cold and rain, Mrs Stodge and I reached Barking and have had our booster vaccinations. Very well organised in the main shopping centre in Barking occupying two vacant units.

Not only older people getting their booster but a good number of younger people getting perhaps a second or maybe even first vaccination.

We've had Pfizer so we'll see if there are any side effects.

On far more important and interesting matters, I've been a horse racing fan since I was a wee lad - I had a great uncle who was a failed bookie and I'm now a failed punter so I'm keeping the family tradition going.

I enjoy races with a story - seeing how a race develops, the twists and turns, it's almost theatrical in its evolution and denouement. This can occur in any race from a 5 furlong sprint to a 4 and a half mile chase.

I really should not have have presented myself as tipster but as lover of the sport. The only thing left on my slip today is not so sleepy which really was a fanciful idea.

Did you see the TV coverage from Newcastle. Absolutely wild weather.

And Malcolm has tipped another winner on PB. In the last week I think he has only mentioned 2 he fancied, and they both won. 👏🏻
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Malc! 😍

Newcastle loves you.

You wanna be careful with those eyes, you'll get him terribly excited.
    Good tip @malcolmg - perhaps your youth wasn't so misspent after all.
  • dixiedean said:

I expect Boris to say:

Get your booster now

Extra bullshit bingo points for impressions of mechanical devices and references to children's cartoon characters
    "You can put lipstick on Peppa Pig - it's still Peppa Pig!"
    Stocky said:

Malc! 😍

Newcastle loves you.

You wanna be careful with those eyes, you'll get him terribly excited.
    He should be excited! Amazing finish to race.
  • Storm Jota blowing through Southampton.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

I really should not have have presented myself as tipster but as lover of the sport. The only thing left on my slip today is not so sleepy which really was a fanciful idea.

And Malcolm has tipped another winner on PB. In the last week I think he has only mentioned 2 he fancied, and they both won. 👏🏻

Nothing wrong with loving a sport - there are plenty on here.

I've stood at a rain-lashed Plumpton and on the terrace of the Eclipse Stand at Lingfield in a blizzard watching a Class 6 Seller as though it was the greatest race ever run.

If that's not love - I'll have to ask Mrs Stodge for a second opinion !

dixiedean said:

I expect Boris to say:

Get your booster now

I fear there'll be lively language. I'm expecting something from what's apparently his favourite film (and it is a good film tbf)

"Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water," he'll say, with a kind of twinkly angst.

He'll then do a terrific impression of the famous soundtrack when IT is coming -

"Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fKSDuhkV4

Then it'll be over to Whitty.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

Storm Jota blowing through Southampton.

.?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,599
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

I expect Boris to say:

Get your booster now

I fear there'll be lively language. I'm expecting something from what's apparently his favourite film (and it is a good film tbf)

"Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the water," he'll say, with a kind of twinkly angst.

He'll then do a terrific impression of the famous soundtrack when IT is coming -

"Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, Da Da ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fKSDuhkV4

Then it'll be over to Whitty.
    You've sold the guy to me. Where do I put my cross?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:
    Yeah , when I got my Pfizer booster I felt so fcuking immortal I thought, cigarettes used to be nice...
    Stay away from Dr Campbell’s videos meanwhile
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited November 2021
    IanB2 said:

.?
    Soccerball player.

Also my favourite motorbike when I were a slip of a lad.
  • IanB2 said:

.?
    First goal two minutes into the game.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    So we have the new nu, not Xi, Omicron variant in the UK already....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59445388
  • IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:
    Stay away from Dr Campbell’s videos meanwhile
    I am been very busy and out of the loop, but he has gone a bit weird in recent weeks, always banging on about Ivermectin.
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Ralph Red heartFlag of ScotlandFlag of EnglandFlag of WalesFlag of United KingdomEarth globe americasEarth globe europe-africaEarth globe asia-australiaRed heart
    @CallmeRayf
    ·
    1h
    The capital of Scotland today.

Here’s the entire Indy march passing by in a 1 minute clip. I counted 72 people, one dog and a Santa. Marchers were almost out-numbered by the police.

Indy is so dead.

https://twitter.com/CallmeRayf/status/1464591726140608512?s=20
  • The Boris on at 5pm...Keep calm and carry on....going to Peppa Pig World...
    edited November 2021
    stodge said:

I've stood at a rain-lashed Plumpton and on the terrace of the Eclipse Stand at Lingfield in a blizzard watching a Class 6 Seller as though it was the greatest race ever run.

I have just about recovered. I don’t know what to say. I made a case for not so sleepy on the site yesterday, can’t do the distance but has history in this weather.

Have I technically tipped a long odds winner? Technically as paddy power have paid out as dead heat.
    Agent P
    @AgentP22
    ·
    Nov 26
    Should the Scottish Government really be asking school pupils questions about anal sex?

Many of the questions in this survey look like they were written by a pervert.

@JohnSwinney
    , you should be ashamed.

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1464142830058749953?s=20
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,626
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Just being reading about Michael Vaughan. There's always more to these stories than meets the eye. The BBC treatment of him sounded harsh. A few ambiguous words on a cricket field doesn't sound like grounds to destroy someone's career.

After a small amount of investigation it turns out he's an avid Trump supporter. Why would someone who wasn't a racist misogynist climate change denying Brexiteer be a Trump fan? It's not because he's lowering the tax threshold in Yorkshire.....

The big question is why did the BBC emlploy such a person in the first place

Still claiming that 74 million Americans are racists misogynists?
    No but -

100 Trumpsters in the kitchen. 100 random other people in the bathroom.

You surely don't deny there'll be tons more racists in the kitchen than the bathroom?

(it's a big roomy property)
    That's obviously Magennis' Bar, with 100 random people in the toilet*, while a bloke gets murdered up front.

When did you join the Shinners?

*71 people actually , including 20 odd women in a men's urinal (no stalls) 4 foot by 3 foot
    Well I don't see any clear link to this, Malmesbury, I'm afraid. You've gone off piste again.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Robert_McCartney

The amusing bit was how whiny the Shinners were about it - apparently naming the 71 in the toilet would have been rude, and people said harsh things to them in the street......
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,292
    edited November 2021
    I fear we are completely fucked

“3) The mutations in Omicron which seem to wipe out the majority of neutralizing antibody epitopes are very worrisome. Combined with the apparent fitness of the virus, this could be a problem. There is now a lot to do to get a better idea of the risk this virus variant poses.”

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1464553778707898373?s=21
  • Leon said:

“3) The mutations in Omicron which seem to wipe out the majority of neutralizing antibody epitopes are very worrisome. Combined with the apparent fitness of the virus, this could be a problem. There is now a lot to do to get a better idea of the risk this virus variant poses.”

Adapted vaccines need to be tested (this has started already) etc. Also, we should not forget that non-neutralizing antibody epitopes and T-cell epitopes are likely largely intact. And even if a variant vaccine becomes necessary, we would not start from scratch since it is likely that one 'variant-booster' would do the job. Our B-cells can be retrained to recognize both, the old version and the variant, and it doesn't take much to do that.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1464555332416548867?s=20

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1464555862220017668?s=20
    Leon said:

There are some more measured points in that thread. Stop trying to spread panic.

Leon said:

Adapted vaccines need to be tested (this has started already) etc. Also, we should not forget that non-neutralizing antibody epitopes and T-cell epitopes are likely largely intact. And even if a variant vaccine becomes necessary, we would not start from scratch since it is likely that one 'variant-booster' would do the job. Our B-cells can be retrained to recognize both, the old version and the variant, and it doesn't take much to do that.

Leon said:

His thread is actually one of the more cheerful on Twitter
  • Leon said:

There are some more measured points in that thread. Stop trying to spread panic.
    Leon spread panic....never....totally out of character.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    I should have gone on my holibobs while I had the chance.

Leon said:

You should see some of the tweets I could have posted. This is deeply ominous. No two ways about it
  • JBriskin3 said:

Ralph Red heartFlag of ScotlandFlag of EnglandFlag of WalesFlag of United KingdomEarth globe americasEarth globe europe-africaEarth globe asia-australiaRed heart
    @CallmeRayf
    ·
    1h

Here’s the entire Indy march passing by in a 1 minute clip. I counted 72 people, one dog and a Santa. Marchers were almost out-numbered by the police.

Indy is so dead.

No but it is the weather !!!!!!!!!!!

RobD said:

Yes. Anyone who wants, needs or expects to travel should do it now
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

You should see some of the tweets I could have posted. This is deeply ominous. No two ways about it
    .....it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....

is up the spout!
  • RobD said:

What's a holliday?
  • Leon said:

RobD said:

Yes. Anyone who wants, needs or expects to travel should do it now
    But travel bans are racist....or some such crap.

stodge said:

I have just about recovered. I don’t know what to say. I made a case for not so sleepy on the site yesterday, can’t do the distance but has history in this weather.

Have I technically tipped a long odds winner? Technically as paddy power have paid out as dead heat.
    I’ve never had any sort of dead heat before. At 18-1 and only getting half odds I feel postily pipped.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I simply don’t agree. You are trying to find doom mongers. Plenty of expert opinion that says (a) immune escape is a stupid term, it’s more likely erosion, so less good (b) immune system is multi armed so worrying about the spike protein mutations is over the top (c) we really don5 know enough about it yet (d) other variants with these mutations are still tempered by vaccines in terms of severe disease/hospitalisation/death. I know you love the drama, but th3 danger is some who read this will have serious issues sorting the reliable news from the bullshit.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

High turnover in nannies mind.
    Although having a hellhound for a pet works wonders with vermin
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,156

JBriskin3 said:

@CallmeRayf
    ·
    1h

Indy is so dead.

No but it is the weather !!!!!!!!!!!

And travel advisories too.
  • Speaking on Radio 4’s Today programme on Saturday, Sir Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group that developed the AstraZeneca vaccine, said the mutations found in omicron indicated the vaccine would still be effective.

He said: “If you look at where most of the mutations are, they are similar to regions of the spike protein that have been seen with other variants so far.

“That tells you that despite mutations existing in other variants, the vaccines have continued to prevent very severe disease as we’ve moved through alpha, beta, gamma and delta,”

The professor added: “It is extremely unlikely that a reboot of a pandemic in a vaccinated population like we saw last year is going to happen.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/27/essex-covid-news-coronavirus-variant-strain-omicron-africa-europe/
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

I simply don’t agree. You are trying to find doom mongers. Plenty of expert opinion that says (a) immune escape is a stupid term, it’s more likely erosion, so less good (b) immune system is multi armed so worrying about the spike protein mutations is over the top (c) we really don5 know enough about it yet (d) other variants with these mutations are still tempered by vaccines in terms of severe disease/hospitalisation/death. I know you love the drama, but th3 danger is some who read this will have serious issues sorting the reliable news from the bullshit.
    People have gotten addicted to the drama and attention.

Need to kick the habit and go cold turkey. Stop worrying.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    I have long since come to the conclusion that we are all getting COVID at some point. It is more a matter of a) being vaccinated to minimize chance of serious illness and b) gives as much time as possible to get improved drugs into mainstream channels should you get seriously ill.

Don’t worry, it’s fine.

New variant which is growing rapidly - scientists saying they don’t know yet whether it’s a worry

Media spinning that into an “we’re all going to die” story

Politicians taking precautionary action as they get no plaudits for no action if they are right and they get castigated if they are wrong

• Charles said:

Don’t worry, it’s fine.

New variant which is growing rapidly - scientists saying they don’t know yet whether it’s a worry

Politicians taking precautionary action as they get no plaudits for no action if they are right and they get castigated if they are wrong

I bet the questions from the media at 5pm are going to be a peach....
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

is up the spout!
    Watch the gold price.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2021

I have long since come to the conclusion that we are all getting COVID at some point. It is more a matter of a) being vaccinated to minimize chance of serious illness and b) gives as much time as possible to get improved drugs into mainstream channels should you get seriously ill.

We'll probably get it several times if we are lucky the first time we get it. I agree with your point. I think the treatment drugs will de-risk things further even if the effectiveness of vaccination waxes and wanes as we get regular jabs and the viruses evolve.

Mr. Battery, suspect it won't change too much, to be honest, but we shall see.

I feel sorry for Delta Goodrem. Much more delightful than Xi Jinping but they didn't have any problem naming a variant Delta.

Advertising slogans used by Delta*

None Faster. None Finer.
    The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Air Travel
    Delta Is Ready When You Are
    Delta Gets You There
    Delta: Keep Climbing

* the airline

• Leon said:

Leon said:

is up the spout!
    Watch the gold price.
    Who cares about gold these days, its all about the crypto....

Charles said:

Don’t worry, it’s fine.

I bet the questions from the media at 5pm are going to be a peach....
    Can I call bingo on the “will we all have to cancel our Christmas skiing/beach holiday” questions?

Leon said:

Leon said:

is up the spout!
    Watch the gold price.
    It's strange that they're both used as hedges against inflation when they both have no yields.

I don't fancy my money being stored in a password so if I had to pick I'd choose gold.

Leon said:

Leon said:

is up the spout!
    Watch the gold price.
    My daughter does
This discussion has been closed.