Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Channel Migrant tragedy on many of the front pages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

We also need to educate the electorate better. Because even if somehow Johnson and Macron grew up, someone else would quickly fill the void and realise exploiting tensions between the two countries = more votes and we would be back to square one with different leaders.

The only grain of comfort in this whole tragedy is that it reduces the chances of the Pritster succeeding BoZo
  • Scott_xP said:

We also need to educate the electorate better. Because even if somehow Johnson and Macron grew up, someone else would quickly fill the void and realise exploiting tensions between the two countries = more votes and we would be back to square one with different leaders.

The only grain of comfort in this whole tragedy is that it reduces the chances of the Pritster succeeding BoZo
    Does it?
    The UK had the right to return asylum seekers to other EU countries as an EU member state. Then Boris Johnson campaigned to take back control. https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1464156778166423552

Does it?

Stopping these migrants is her job right now, and she can't do it.

Why would she get a promotion?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Scott_xP said:

The UK had the right to return asylum seekers to other EU countries as an EU member state. Then Boris Johnson campaigned to take back control. https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1464156778166423552

And other EU countries also had the right to send asylum seekers to the UK and we also had free movement from the EU not the points based system we have now
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Scott_xP said:

Does it?

Can I remind you that the most incompetent Foreign Secretary in living memory ( Mrs Zaghari Ratcliffe and Rudyard Kipling say hello) was promoted way, way beyond his ability.
  • Scott_xP said:

Does it?

I am not the right person to understand how the Tory selectorate minds work, and with respect I am not sure you are in tune with their mindset either. I am not saying this helps her, but I would caution against assuming it damages her. Media coverage where she is being tough but the French obstinate may well be fine even if the outcome is ineffective.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    eek said:

Following Boris's letter to France, France has cancelled Priti's meeting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10245249/France-CANCELS-meeting-Priti-Patel-wake-deaths-27-migrants.html

nice to see UK / French political relationships at their usual levels.

I suspect the meeting may have gone ahead if the PM hadn't published his letter to Macron, but kept it private. So why did he publish it? For domestic consumption, obviously, to tickle the fancy of the anti-French lot. Megaphone diplomacy is unbecoming on matters as sensitive as this. Frost is similar on the EU negotiations. I'm all in favour of transparency, but sometimes matters are better dealt with though traditional diplomatic channels.

I am not the right person to understand how the Tory selectorate minds work, and with respect I am not sure you are in tune with their mindset either. I am not saying this helps her, but I would caution against assuming it damages her. Media coverage where she is being tough but the French obstinate may well be fine even if the outcome is ineffective.

It depends who her opponent is.

If they promise to be harder on immigrants without her history of failure she is in trouble
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

And other EU countries also had the right to send asylum seekers to the UK and we also had free movement from the EU not the points based system we have now
    Quite right! And the current arrangement is working so well at the moment, isn't it?
    French stopping one person crossing the Channel... https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1464158887112855574
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

If you tried to write a letter designed to irritate France, this would be it:
    1 self-congratulate and take moral high ground
    2 make letter public, to enhance 1
    3 tell France and EU to do more to patrol a border that the UK left EU in order to regain control over

Breathtaking

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1464139057915650061

Why anyone would expect anything more from this PM is beyond me. He has had an incredibly difficult fortnight. Now he has an opportunity to deliver a further conflict with the French to his base. Of course he is going to take it. And it will work like a charm.

It's not creating a conflict, it's just telling France that we aren't going to do anything.

As we all know it's an impossible situation which means Boris has to blame France as that's the only optioon he has left.
    I wonder what people think the UK can do when the French police stand and watch the boats leave France.
    Avoid cheap political point scoring for domestic purposes and find ways to work together. That’s a good place to start.
    Absolutely. And yet we are not the only ones doing this. Remember the hoopla about AZ earlier in the year from our European friends and allies. We all need to be better.
    Nationalism is bullshit whichever side of the channel it comes from. One of my worries about Brexit was that it would revive this historic English-French nonsense. It's depressing that politicians have seized upon this so readily. They need to grow up.
    Yes, despite the naive claims that “we love Europe, not the EU”, Brexit was always going to fracture relationships with our neighbours and - to the extent we need those relationships - pisspoor outcomes.

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right! And the current arrangement is working so well at the moment, isn't it?
    Macron is leaking votes to Le Pen compared to 2017, Boris needs to shore up his core vote from 2019, both are playing to their base.

Once the French election is over next year I expect some agreement will be reached, at the moment both leaders are playing to the gallery to try and look as tough as possible with the other over border control

eek said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10245249/France-CANCELS-meeting-Priti-Patel-wake-deaths-27-migrants.html

I suspect the meeting may have gone ahead if the PM hadn't published his letter to Macron, but kept it private. So why did he publish it? For domestic consumption, obviously, to tickle the fancy of the anti-French lot. Megaphone diplomacy is unbecoming on matters as sensitive as this. Frost is similar on the EU negotiations. I'm all in favour of transparency, but sometimes matters are better dealt with though traditional diplomatic channels.
    "Why did he publish it?" A question that will be answered by the incoming opinion poll (re) crossover.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Macron is leaking votes to Le Pen compared to 2017, Boris needs to shore up his core vote from 2019, both are playing to their base.

Once the French election is over next year I expect some agreement will be reached, at the moment both leaders are playing to the gallery to try and look as tough as possible with the other over border control
    Um, what should the French be doing - they don't want these refugees and the refugees don't want to be in France?

There is zero incentive for the French to do anything about it which you can see from the fact the only reason the French patrol the border is because we are paying them to do so.
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

But only if they started their journey to the EU from within the UK, which was so rare that it was never used. So if you are claiming it's a 2 way street you are again demonstrating that you haven't thought things through nor done any research.

Basically by walking away from the Dublin Convention Boris created this mess. I suspect Nigel Farage will make great play of the fact now it's started to be pointed out because afterall everyone's vision of Brexit was their own personal unicorn version of Brexit (each with 6 different impossible conditions)
    It was of course Merkel too in opening the borders from Syria to Europe so widely rather than settling asylum seekers in safe havens in the Middle East which likely played some role in the swing which pushed Leave over the line in 2016
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited November 2021
    Good morning

France taking exception to Boris's letter was predictable but it is only going to polarise opinion further

It is fiercely difficult issue to resolve and so many conflicting views

I understand reports this morning that smugglers are threatening the migrants with being shot if they do not get in the boats, and if true it makes this terrible problem far worse

I expect it may play well for Boris and certainly last nights local were surprisingly quite good for the conservatives and the trend to lib dems in remain seats continued, but labour had a poor night and certainly as the main opposition they should be doing better
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

But only if they started their journey to the EU from within the UK, which was so rare that it was never used. So if you are claiming it's a 2 way street you are again demonstrating that you haven't thought things through nor done any research.

Basically by walking away from the Dublin Convention Boris created this mess. I suspect Nigel Farage will make great play of the fact now it's started to be pointed out because afterall everyone's vision of Brexit was their own personal unicorn version of Brexit (each with 6 different impossible conditions)
    It was of course Merkel too in opening the borders from Syria to Europe so widely rather than settling asylum seekers in safe havens in the Middle East which likely played some role in the swing which pushed Leave over the line in 2016
    Sorry but people have been camping outside Calais since the early 2000's well before 2016.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile the drownings continue.

I don't dispute both are as bad as each other. Xenophobia and petty nationalism prevail. Whatever happened to the post-war dream?
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Um, what should the French be doing - they don't want these refugees and the refugees don't want to be in France?

There is zero incentive for the French to do anything about it which you can see from the fact the only reason the French patrol the border is because we are paying them to do so.
    They have to get to France first before they come to the UK, the main problem is the boats coming from Africa to southern Europe.

Hence Brothers of Italy or Salvini's Lega Nord are ahead in some Italian polls now and hence Le Pen is now on 45% of the vote in France, unless Europe gets control of its southern border the populist right will continue to grow.

That may mean islands in the Mediterranean specifically to process asylum claims and all refugee camps in Europe closed other than those on said islands

Good morning

France taking exception to Boris's letter was predictable but it is only going to polarise opinion further

I understand reports this morning that smugglers are threatening the migrants with being shot if they do not get in the boats, and if true it makes this terrible problem far worse

I expect it may play well for Boris and certainly last nights local were surprisingly quite good for the conservatives and the trend to lib dems in remain seats continued, but labour had a poor night and certainly as the main opposition they should be doing better

I love the idea that people don't assume that very local issues and personalities are never factors in local council byelections - it's always national politics and that day's news story.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Good morning

The Bedford (Wandsworth) by-election result is not what an opposition should ge getting, holding on by one vote with a big swing to the current governing party who have just been through a very difficult month.

I remember the Mid 90s, Labour would have won this seat by 40%.:

• rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

French Interior Ministry: ‘We consider Boris Johnson’s public letter unacceptable and in opposition with discussions between counterparts. As a consequence, Priti Patel is not invited anymore to the meeting on Sunday.’

https://twitter.com/simonjonesnews/status/1464130103630344197?s=21

So the French are still trying to play politics, rather than conduct talks with the intention of stopping people drowning in the Channel.
    To be frank, it looks as though our PM is the one playing politics, setting out a suggestion which he knew in advance would be unacceptable.

Most, if not all, of those presently waiting in N. France would be an asset to this country, although, of course we have, in concert with the EU, to do 'something' about the continued drift of people to Northern and Western Europe.
    On what basis are you making the judgement in the second paragraph? (The one about being an asset to the country). Interested in your evidentiary support.
    Young or relatively young people keen to to provide better lives for themselves and their dependents. And prepared to go through considerable difficulties to do so.
    Likely also to be multilingual. Refugees and immigrants are more likely to set up businesses too.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

The tories have a massive majority, are unfettered by any written constitution and have the almost limitless powers of a nation state at their disposal. No excuses.
    Forget push and pull factors, for a moment.

At the end of the day, the government needs to properly fund the necessary patrol and processing operations.

By all means figure out a better partnership with France, but that is a side issue. The more Boris or Priti talk about France, the less they are interested in addressing the issue.
    Dura_Ace said:

The tories have a massive majority, are unfettered by any written constitution and have the almost limitless powers of a nation state at their disposal. No excuses.
    There aren’t even, really, significant “conflicting views”.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    People say that the 'migrant issue' is an intractably difficult, hard problem. But it is actually pretty simple.

There are billions of people in the world who undoubtedly live in unsavoury regimes with human rights problems, who fear for their personal safety; and thus have a legitimate reason to try and migrate to the west, the UK included.

Should they all have a theoretical right to migrate to the UK?

If the answer is yes, then you have to deal with a rapid population increase and all the social, environmental and political consequences that entails.

If the answer is no, then you have to stop people coming in at all;deport them back from where they came, or put them in a prison camp; as they do in certain other countries.

The problem is absolutely horrible. But it won't go away.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They do have an incentive. Stopping the flow will mean many of the migrants don't head to France in the first place. Apparently many are coming from Belgium/Netherlands etc. So the French do have an interest in shutting this down.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They have to get to France first before they come to the UK, the main problem is the boats coming from Africa to southern Europe.

Hence Brothers of Italy or Salvini's Lega Nord are ahead in some Italian polls now and hence Le Pen is now on 45% of the vote in France, unless Europe gets control of its southern border the populist right will continue to grow.

That may mean islands in the Mediterranean specifically to process asylum claims and all refugee camps in Europe closed other than those on said islands
    Yeah, the good citizens of Lampedusa and Lesbos are going to love that.

If we in the West didn't screw over North African and Middle Eastern countries in our role as the world's policeman (Blair and Cameron, I am looking at you) maybe this situation wouldn't be as desperate as it is.

Take Lebanon, a failing state, that fails even further after an accidental explosion that took out the Port if Beirut. What are we doing to help other than pointing and laughing?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Meanwhile the drownings continue.

I don't dispute both are as bad as each other. Xenophobia and petty nationalism prevail. Whatever happened to the post-war dream?
    Johnson Patel and Brexit
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

French Interior Ministry: ‘We consider Boris Johnson’s public letter unacceptable and in opposition with discussions between counterparts. As a consequence, Priti Patel is not invited anymore to the meeting on Sunday.’

So the French are still trying to play politics, rather than conduct talks with the intention of stopping people drowning in the Channel.
    To be frank, it looks as though our PM is the one playing politics, setting out a suggestion which he knew in advance would be unacceptable.

Most, if not all, of those presently waiting in N. France would be an asset to this country, although, of course we have, in concert with the EU, to do 'something' about the continued drift of people to Northern and Western Europe.
    On what basis are you making the judgement in the second paragraph? (The one about being an asset to the country). Interested in your evidentiary support.
    Young or relatively young people keen to to provide better lives for themselves and their dependents. And prepared to go through considerable difficulties to do so.
    Likely also to be multilingual. Refugees and immigrants are more likely to set up businesses too.
    Ms Patel's parents come to mind.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

There doesn't seem to be any diplomatic situation that our PM cannot make worse.
    Remove the word 'diplomatic', I suggest.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    darkage said:

People say that the 'migrant issue' is an intractably difficult, hard problem. But it is actually pretty simple.

There are billions of people in the world who undoubtedly live in unsavoury regimes with human rights problems, who fear for their personal safety; and thus have a legitimate reason to try and migrate to the west, the UK included.

Should they all have a theoretical right to migrate to the UK?

If the answer is yes, then you have to deal with a rapid population increase and all the social, environmental and political consequences that entails.

If the answer is no, then you have to stop people coming in at all;deport them back from where they came, or put them in a prison camp; as they do in certain other countries.

The problem is absolutely horrible. But it won't go away.

Yes. Dealing with the presenting micro problems is a substitution activity for real thought about the real problems. And, like bad governance elsewhere, kills people while we are doing it.

The starting point must be that every regime from which people are fleeing is a fellow member of the UN, but the UN imposes a disparity of obligations, which places an enormous burden on some regimes, a politically sticky one on others (including UK and France) while Assad and North Korea and the Taliban do exactly as they like while retaining the benefits but not the burdens of UN membership.

• Mr. Walker, the lack of funding for such patrols is curious, given they're in the south and nowhere near Leeds.

Mr. Walker, the lack of funding for such patrols is curious, given they're in the south and nowhere near Leeds.

Lack of available workers and Nimbys.
    The letter, by the way, was not for France.
    It was for the Daily Mail.

Boris has no intention whatsoever of addressing this issue.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612

Dura_Ace said:

Well the range of views go from

A) We should let in absolutely everyone who wants to come here
    Z) We should let in no-one

between those 2 points there is a range of options.

Any option apart from A) involves "What about the people who want to come here, but we don't want here?"

There is, of course the position of "Of course I believe in restrictions on immigration. In abstract. Just that when presented with any particular case, I would let them in." - which is really (A)
    Omnium said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

They do have an incentive. Stopping the flow will mean many of the migrants don't head to France in the first place. Apparently many are coming from Belgium/Netherlands etc. So the French do have an interest in shutting this down.
    Shorter sea crossing, of course. Can see the French coast, as someone upthread point out, from Dover.
    I can assure everyone that you couldn't see the Dutch coast from Harwich, even if the Dutch coast had cliffs.
    Patel has continued to announce scaled up activity on the Channel, but there hasn’t been any.

The reason is that it costs money.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Kettle: Boris Johnson’s CBI speech may prove to be one of those moments that damningly define a prime minister in the public mind and which they can never shake off. Many will hope that something reputation-puncturing happened to Johnson this week. And perhaps it did.

Kuenssberg is too important and reliable a reporter for these ["it's just not working"] remarks to have been either casual asides or unrepresentative whinging. Their message is a devastating one, that Johnson and his team are not up to the job. They imply that changes are required at the centre if the Conservatives are to emerge, from a winter dominated by the cost of living, Covid and the Channel migration crisis, in a position to win the next general election.

Britain’s embrace of Johnsonism in 2016 and 2019 is now confronted by Johnsonism’s in-built unworkability in practice. Faced with an irreconcilable, the Tory party will eventually have to make a choice. Either it will bet the farm on Johnsonism, or it will try to rein it in.

While Germany is about to make a seamless transition to Olaf Scholz’s chancellorship, Britain faces a governmental emergency. No 10’s lack of a team, a structure and a shared ethos adds up to a humiliating verdict on this country’s politics. Solving the problem posed by the chaotic Johnson court is the priority of the day. The question is whether, in the light of the way that Johnson has governed since 2019, it is even remotely possible to solve.
  • Scott_xP said:

Today I am starting to publish a detailed, annotated record of the lies, falsehoods and misleading statements made by Boris Johnson and colleagues dating back to his appointment as prime minister in July 2019. They are available here:

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

We've put another dozen posts up overnight.

https://boris-johnson-lies.com

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1464146981136261122

Before being too sanctimonious about the current liar in No 10, remember that Oborne wrote "The Rise of Political Lying", which made much of a certain T. Blair, a previous No 10 incumbent...
    So the fact that Oborne sees Boris as even worse than Blair counts for something.

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If we in the West didn't screw over North African and Middle Eastern countries in our role as the world's policeman (Blair and Cameron, I am looking at you) maybe this situation wouldn't be as desperate as it is.

Take Lebanon, a failing state, that fails even further after an accidental explosion that took out the Port if Beirut. What are we doing to help other than pointing and laughing?
    Has the background to that explosion ever been satisfactorily explained?
  • Apparently the meeting on Sunday that Patel is not now going to includes France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and the EU and it is the EU expressing concern, not only about the channel crossings but the pull factor through Belarus into the EU overwhelming their own policies, and making the channel coast problems much worse as the UK is the migrants main destination.

Ultimately the UK has to be part of these discussions and let's hope cooler heads prevail
  • At the end of the day there's only two viable solutions to stop people crossing by boats.

1: Provide safe transport for everyone who wants it, no restrictions. Hundreds of thousands would take up the offer, but if you're OK with that then that's safe and humane.

2: Provide off shore processing. Anyone who crosses by boat is immediately, without access to any courts, deported straight to a third party country for processing. If their claim is denied, then they remain in the nation they're deported to. Most notable Rwanda already offer this service for other countries and for the United Nations Human Rights Council themselves.

Neither option is superficially attractive, but both would work. You simply have to pick your poison. Talking about or to France won't do anything at all, its up to the UK to resolve this by themselves.

Dura_Ace said:

Any option apart from A) involves "What about the people who want to come here, but we don't want here?"

There is, of course the position of "Of course I believe in restrictions on immigration. In abstract. Just that when presented with any particular case, I would let them in." - which is really (A)
    Theoretically, there are a “range of views”.

In practical terms, 99% desire zero channel crossings.

Even those who are open to more asylum seekers don’t think dangerous channel crossings are the way to do it.

So, over to you Boris/Priti.
    I find the attempts to er.... de-toxify the people smugglers... interesting.
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes because Libya was so great under Gaddaffi and Iraq was so great under Saddam? Refugees still came from Syria even when we didn't intervene.

The fact is as long as you can earn far more in western Europe than African migrants will still come even if they are peaceful democracies. What we need is somewhere to process the claims so we only allow in those in genuine fear of persecution and those whose skills we genuinely need

Foxy said:

I was musing on the classic 1942 film Casablanca the other day. There are several plot strands but perhaps the most interesting is the "letters of transit" stolen by the Peter Lorre character and hidden by Bogarts character Rick, who later passes them on. These stolen documents permit the bearer free travel to neutral Portugal, and then onwards to the USA.

Is Rick the most celebrated "People Trafficker" in movie history? And should the Lazlos had to claim asylum in Portugal rather than the USA?

Not many days go by that I don't muse on Casablanca, the greatest film ever made. It's one of those films that covers so many themes and whose humanity and heart is so deep that it has something to say on pretty much anything you care to think of. Certainly it has a message on refugees and migration. Not just the Bulgarian couple escaping oppression there ("the devil has the people by the throat") who Rick rescues from the awful moral compromise they are almost forced into in order to escape, but the elderly Austrian couple speaking only English ("what watch? Such much!") in preparation for their trip, who Carl reassures will "get along beautiful in America".
    The greatest irony of the film is that the actor who plays Major Strasser, the Nazi baddie, was himself a refugee from Nazi Germany. Indeed, the whole film was made by European emigrees, which perhaps explains why it is so sympathetic to the plight of refugees.
    Absolutely, and very well put.
    I find the character of Captain Renard interesting. Rapist, murderer, swindler, corrupt policeman, works for the Fascists willingly, only changes sides after the Gestapo take the piss out of his self importance.
  • Morning all! Glad to see the status quo is preserved - virtue-signalling to ghouls against the enemy is worth more than trying to actually work multilaterally on a solution.

At the end of the day there's only two viable solutions to stop people crossing by boats.

1: Provide safe transport for everyone who wants it, no restrictions. Hundreds of thousands would take up the offer, but if you're OK with that then that's safe and humane.

2: Provide off shore processing. Anyone who crosses by boat is immediately, without access to any courts, deported straight to a third party country for processing. If their claim is denied, then they remain in the nation they're deported to. Most notable Rwanda already offer this service for other countries and for the United Nations Human Rights Council themselves.

Neither option is superficially attractive, but both would work. You simply have to pick your poison. Talking about or to France won't do anything at all, its up to the UK to resolve this by themselves.

Sadly, (1) is a moral hazard that will simply make the issue worse.

It is obvious we are left with variants of (2).
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    edited November 2021

Sandpit said:

Johnson needs another row with France to take minds off all his other troubles. The letter he wrote to Macron yesterday was designed to achieve that - and it has succeeded. His only interest is in keeping his voting coalition together. This is the way to do it.
    Yep. Mass loss of life in the Channel and he prioritizes bad faith, nakedly self-serving "Boris tells Macron to sort it" media coverage and a high profile bust up with France over any serious attempt to work with them on a practical response. I try and squash my expectations of PM Boris Johnson sufficiently to avoid being disappointed by him but it's like chasing my own tail.
  • Those applying for asylum in the UK should apply in the first safe country they reach. Those coming in boats across the channel should not be granted asylum under any circumstances whatsoever

And why is that? There is this myth presented by the Tories to the gullible that asylum has to be requested in the first safe country.
    Emmanuel Macron on Boris Johnson's letter/Twitter thread: ‘I am surprised by the methods when they are not serious, we do not communicate by tweets’ https://twitter.com/bfmtv/status/1464165169341386759
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    "We're getting better at understanding this virus." (Professor James Naismith, Director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute)

Therein lies our best hope viz a viz this most significant and worst variant yet. Despite three flights arriving this morning, the UK Gov't have acted swiftly.

But I do note that three people in Israel found covid positive with the variant were all vaccinated.

Dura_Ace said:

Theoretically, there are a “range of views”.

In practical terms, 99% desire zero channel crossings.

Even those who are open to more asylum seekers don’t think dangerous channel crossings are the way to do it.

So, over to you Boris/Priti.
    I'm not so sure.

1) The Royal Navy is short of sailors.
    2) The migrants are demonstrating considerable seamanship.
    3) Pick them up at the UK 3 mile limit, and conscript them into the Royal Navy.
    4) Send them on a nice long deployment, immediately.

Those applying for asylum in the UK should apply in the first safe country they reach. Those coming in boats across the channel should not be granted asylum under any circumstances whatsoever

And why is that? There is this myth presented by the Tories to the gullible that asylum has to be requested in the first safe country.
    Even if it were true about applying in the first safe country (it’s not):

should-a, could-a, would-a

as they say on Judge Judy.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

They seem nice enough people

Smuggler shot migrant in the kneecaps when he refused to board boat

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/25/bit-like-drowning-scene-film-titanic/
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    edited November 2021
    The Greens almost let the Tories in last night in Wandsworth

Bedford (Wandsworth) by-election result:

LAB: 40.2% (-9.8)
    CON: 40.2% (+5.7)
    GRN: 13.6% (+4.3)
    LDEM: 6.0% (-0.2)

Labour HOLD.

One vote in it!

Chgs. w/ 2018
  • Scott_xP said:

Emmanuel Macron on Boris Johnson's letter/Twitter thread: ‘I am surprised by the methods when they are not serious, we do not communicate by tweets’ https://twitter.com/bfmtv/status/1464165169341386759

Maybe you could learn from Macron

'We do not communicate by tweets'

The irony in that post is so amusing

Those applying for asylum in the UK should apply in the first safe country they reach. Those coming in boats across the channel should not be granted asylum under any circumstances whatsoever

The difference between "can" and "should" - they "can" apply anywhere, but "should" they apply for asylum when they are already in a safe country?

• isamisam Posts: 40,725
    Same person

“A woman accused of indecent exposure, masturbating in public and using a sex toy in a public place, will stand trial early next year.

Chloe Thompson, of Borough Road, Middlesbrough, appeared at Teesside Magistrates' Court on Wednesday after denying the offences.

She is charged with committing a public nuisance by indecently exposing her penis to other members of the public, whilst masturbating from a property window.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-woman-accused-using-sex-22260053

Ten years earlier…

“ A FORMER serviceman who touched a pre-teenage schoolgirl was jailed for a year, prompting loud gasps in court.

Andrew Douglas McNab, 31, took advantage of the underage girl when he sexually assaulted her.

He said he molested her in a “moment of madness” while weak and mentally scarred from his Army service, Teesside Crown Court heard.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/sex-assault-shame-teesside-ex-soldier-3692966
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/25/bit-like-drowning-scene-film-titanic/
    Funny, I don't recall Rick doing that in Casablanca.....

Scott_xP said:

Not unless you think Scott XP is trying to negotiate with France too.

Your hero Boris has been caught playing to the gallery again.

Not obvious perhaps if you are the gallery.
    Heathener said:

"We're getting better at understanding this virus." (Professor James Naismith, Director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute)

Therein lies our best hope viz a viz this most significant and worst variant yet. Despite three flights arriving this morning, the UK Gov't have acted swiftly.

But I do note that three people in Israel found covid positive with the variant were all vaccinated.

It is not whether they test Covid positive we should be worried about, so much as if even the vaccinated get hospitalised and die from it
  • HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems like a normal series of administrative fuck-ups, namely:
    - Ship full of ammonium nitrate has mechanical or financial problems, docks in Beirut
    - Owner goes bankrupt, government takes ownership of ship over unpaid fines
    - Ship in danger of sinking, government unloads the ammonium nitrate and sticks it in a warehouse not really designed for it
    - Customs tries to get legal permission to sell the stuff, judge never gets around to it because developing-nation legal systems so it just sits there for years
    - Somebody maybe decided to store some fireworks in the building too for good measure
    - Doors need some welding work done
    - Boom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Beirut_explosion
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Funny, I don't recall Rick doing that in Casablanca.....
    It's in the Director's Cut
    IshmaelZ said:

Which is why even if we had an agreement that the UK border force could patrol in France, they are not keen to do so
  • Scott_xP said:

Today I am starting to publish a detailed, annotated record of the lies, falsehoods and misleading statements made by Boris Johnson and colleagues dating back to his appointment as prime minister in July 2019. They are available here:

Before being too sanctimonious about the current liar in No 10, remember that Oborne wrote "The Rise of Political Lying", which made much of a certain T. Blair, a previous No 10 incumbent...
    So the fact that Oborne sees Boris as even worse than Blair counts for something.
    Oborne is a moaning Myrtle.

Who was the last leader he wasn't moaning about?

He's one of those people who isn't happy unless he's complaining.
  • Scott_xP said:

Not unless you think Scott XP is trying to negotiate with France too.

Your hero Boris has been caught playing to the gallery again.

Not obvious perhaps if you are the gallery.
    Boris is no hero of mine but then that decision is upto his mps

I would be happy to see Rishi in place today
  • At the end of the day there's only two viable solutions to stop people crossing by boats.

Sadly, (1) is a moral hazard that will simply make the issue worse.

It is obvious we are left with variants of (2).
    Indeed. If people are crossing into the UK they should be doing so via legal routes on planes, not via sinkable dinghies.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    isam said:

The Greens almost let the Tories in last night in Wandsworth

Bedford (Wandsworth) by-election result:

LAB: 40.2% (-9.8)
    CON: 40.2% (+5.7)
    GRN: 13.6% (+4.3)
    LDEM: 6.0% (-0.2)

Labour HOLD.

One vote in it!

Chgs. w/ 2018

The key fact is the Tory vote went up more than the Greens, despite everything that has happened in the past month.

Not forgetting that 12 years into opposition Labour are losing votes in Local Council By-Elections

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It seems like a normal series of administrative fuck-ups, namely:
    - Ship full of ammonium nitrate has mechanical or financial problems, docks in Beirut
    - Owner goes bankrupt, government takes ownership of ship over unpaid fines
    - Ship in danger of sinking, government unloads the ammonium nitrate and sticks it in a warehouse not really designed for it
    - Customs tries to get legal permission to sell the stuff, judge never gets around to it because developing-nation legal systems so it just sits there for years
    - Somebody maybe decided to store some fireworks in the building too for good measure
    - Doors need some welding work done
    - Boom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Beirut_explosion
    Hmm. Thanks. Not sure I'd call Lebanon a developing nation. Given what the Israelis and the Syrians have done to it over the past thirty or so years, I'd calling it a regressing one.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Scott_xP said:

French stopping one person crossing the Channel... https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status/1464158887112855574

Not really - she can get on the Eurostar whenever she likes...

Scott_xP said:

Oborne was a big fan of Gordon Brown
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848

eek said:

"Why did he publish it?" A question that will be answered by the incoming opinion poll (re) crossover.
    I really hope that's not the case - that the polls swing strongly Con again - or if it is that migrants are not the reason. I can see it though. As I've said before, I don't think this mess in the Channel is good for Labour even if the government get the blame for it right now. Fact is, 'strong borders' and 'no soft touch for migrants and refugees' is fundamentally Tory and populist right territory. I can't see many people with that Daily Express take on this issue switching to Labour at the election because of it, regardless of how Starmer plays things.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect he didn’t mind May?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

At the end of the day there's only two viable solutions to stop people crossing by boats.

What's wrong with what we are doing today. Strenuously (!) discouraging migrants, having laws and processes in place to filter out genuine asylum seekers, while at the same time humanely dealing with those that ignore the warnings and come anyway.

Now of course the Tories, the party of Laura Norder, don't seem very good at the laws and processes to filter out and act upon non-genuine asylum seekers but in principle the system is just about doing what it was once designed to do. A few thousand people trying to cross the channel which they always will do regardless of illusory deals with Albania.

I don't see that the current situation is particularly broken aside from headlines in the Daily Express if you are Boris Johnson.
    BREAKING. #ISRAELI PM SAYS "WE ARE CURRENTLY ON THE VERGE OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY" REGARDING NEW CORONAVIRUS VARIANT (Reuters)

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1464168201022066714?s=21
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,221
    Scott_xP said:

Hypocritical bullshit from the French. They do “diplomacy”-by-tweet all the time

Philip Thompson pretty starkly lays out our options above. Them’s the choices. Unless we repeal the HRA and start towing them back to France
    Chill guys, this new variant shit is handled. Grant "Michael Greene" Shapps in on Sky News. Two flegs (Butcher's Apron and Civil Aviation Standard), empty red box and his fucking wig are all conspicuously on display.
  • Scott_xP said:

How many were returned ?
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

It is not whether they test Covid positive we should be worried about, so much as if even the vaccinated get hospitalised and die from it
    This is the far right tory lie

For a start we already know that vaccinated people are now getting admitted to hospital. But as significantly, they act as viral vectors, thus spreading the virus to others who are vulnerable. So one apparently non-hospitalised "I'm alright Jack" covid positive tory is potentially killing loads of other people. Which is about par for the course for self-centred nasty capitalists.

But the other even more significant issue is that this variant looks like it's a lot more deadly. Vaccine protection is lower.

For that latter reason it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that we act hard and fast.

And not selfishly like you.
    Jesus F Christ

How bad is this Nu variant?

Javid looks absolutely terrified here. Rabbit-in-headlights eyes. Like he has just been briefed that bubonic plague is next. Perhaps it is

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1463983419495526403?s=21
    The government has actually done the right thing for a change, in suspending flights from Southern Africa.

We may need to go further and suspend all air travel temporarily. Acting decisively has always been the right choice with this virus.

I would be happy to see Rishi in place today

You'd have to look under the desk to see him.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Scott_xP said:

How many were returned ?
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

For a start we already know that vaccinated people are now getting admitted to hospital. But as significantly, they act as viral vectors, thus spreading the virus to others who are vulnerable. So one apparently non-hospitalised "I'm alright Jack" covid positive tory is potentially killing loads of other people. Which is about par for the course for self-centred nasty capitalists.

But the other even more significant issue is that this variant looks like it's a lot more deadly. Vaccine protection is lower.

What are you on about? HYUFD is just making a perfectly sensible point: we know this wretchedly infective Nu strain will sweep the world, the big question is: can it hurt or kill the vaxxed in large numbers?
    Fact.

Big G weighs SEVEN Rishis.

The government has actually done the right thing for a change, in suspending flights from Southern Africa.

We may need to go further and suspend all air travel temporarily. Acting decisively has always been the right choice with this virus.

We could also suspend all sea crossings, especially around the Channel, thus neatly solving our two contemporary problems in one go
  • Leon said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What are you on about? HYUFD is just making a perfectly sensible point: we know this wretchedly infective Nu strain will sweep the world, the big question is: can it hurt or kill the vaxxed in large numbers?
    Is it more infective or more dangerous ?

I doubt it will be both.

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

He preferred May to Cameron and Boris and Brown to Blair yes
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6559347/PETER-OBORNE-Theresa-deserves-better-narcissists.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021847/PETER-OBORNE-Why-fit-Gordon-Browns-shoes.html
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Leon said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I doubt it will be both.
    More infective normally means less dangerous, as both are in its 'evolutionary interests'

Leon said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I doubt it will be both.
    Is that true, though, for delta versus beta?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

12 GW being generated by wind of 32 GW total demand. It's not good enough, it ought to be at least double that when there's a moderate storm about.

In the longer run what we would actually need is something like 45GW (to pick a number at random) and the capacity to store the surplus efficiently for use when it is not windy. Whilst 24 GW would clearly be an improvement it too is not sufficient. Still, at least our gas consumption is temporarily reduced.
    Given the increase in electricity consumption implied by electrifying land transport and domestic heating and industry I would think we need to aim for closer to ten times our current wind capacity.

And add tidal, mini-nukes, interconnectors to Moroccan solar...
    There's 24GW of installed wind in the UK. Unless you are planning absolutely massive storage facilities, I don't see how the UK could possibly just that much - even including the electrification of domestic heating and road transport.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

He preferred May to Cameron and Boris and Brown to Blair yes
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6559347/PETER-OBORNE-Theresa-deserves-better-narcissists.html
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1021847/PETER-OBORNE-Why-fit-Gordon-Browns-shoes.html
    To be fair to Oborne, Boris, Blair and to some extent Cameron, are all dodgy AF.
This discussion has been closed.