Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Tory Sleaze narrative is not going away – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    England didn't get enough runs.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,395

Corbyn stopped Starmer taking a second job doing high-paid consultancy work for law firm Mishcon de Reya in 2017, several key figures from the Corbyn leadership have confirmed to me.

Starmer argued he should be free to take up the role, but Corbyn decided "absolutely no."

Starmer has tried to capitalise on Tory sleaze despite ditching Labour's 2019 pledge to ban MPs' second jobs.

Yet sources say Starmer wanted to take a lucrative second job while in the shadow cabinet, was blocked by Corbyn, and then pretended otherwise.

The matter was raised at a meeting of the shadow cabinet, where "Jeremy very politely reminded Keir what Labour Party policy was," according to a senior member of Corbyn's shadow ministerial team.

Starmer's office had argued there was nothing to worry about in him taking the job, because the Mishcon training academy, which he would be advising, was "really cool."

When the issue blew up & the Tories attacked (Mishcon represented Gina Miller, Starmer's brief was Brexit), Starmer wanted to stick with Mishcon's words that "We are in discussions with Keir Starmer about reappointing him as an adviser" & say it was a limited role—ie ride it out.

However, the job was vetoed, whereupon Starmer switched to claim it was his decision, saying "I am grateful for Mischon de Reya for discussing a possible role advising the Mishcon Academy with me but given my other commitments, I have decided not to further the discussions."

Fast forward to Monday. Starmer tried to take the high ground on sleaze by quoting 2015 Labour policy that "paid consultancies ought to go."

@SamCoatesSky said "You were in talks to take a job yourself."

Starmer said "No I wasn't. I was in discussion."

Viewers got no sense from Starmer's response that, if not for Corbyn, he would have taken that job. In fact, not only was he in talks/discussions (potato/potato) with Mishcon in 2017, but he'd worked for them in 2016—while a Labour MP—getting paid £4,500 a month for 6 hours' work

In the Sky interview Starmer described Ed Miliband's 2015 policy banning MPs from taking paid consultancy jobs as "an obvious change we ought to make straight away," which begs the question why it wasn't so obvious to him in 2016.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer is challenged by @SamCoatesSky about the roles he considered taking while a MP.

Unwilling to answer the Mishcon question, Starmer deflected onto the matter of MPs giving legal advice, saying he had given up his legal certificate two years ago. But even this is murky, as he has recently registered large sums with no transparency about who has paid him.

It is striking, given Starmer's conduct towards Corbyn since last autumn, that back in 2017 Corbyn's office didn't brief against Starmer, or criticise him, but let him present the decision as his own.

It now emerges that Starmer has Corbyn to thank for saving him from himself.

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1458456612398632961

Nunns was a Corbyn speechwriter. but still..

All four party leaders have made substantial outside earnings while MPs. Boris as a journo, Starmer as a lawyer, Blackford in the City or wherever, and even Ed Davey, apparently to help meet the costs of a disabled child.

The sole question, really, is whether MPs have tried to influence Govt through their paid activities.

Can't really see why Cox, working as a lawyer, is in the firing line, except for the huge amounts of the fees and the location he's been doing some of the work which is, admittedly, a gift to the tabloids.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Cricinfo predictor has the Kiwis 1.01.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,269
    Entertaining tho
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    The tournament was there for the taking. Oh well.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    That's all folks.
    I guess I’m pleased I didn’t get tix for the final now!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    It’s all over now!
    Man of the match to Jordan :D ?
  • After the 2019 final I'm ok with the Blacks Caps winning today, they deserve a bit of luck.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Wish I'd put a bet on NZ, I thought they'd win somehow.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Regarding the Belarus / Poland border

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1458486145520652291

I had a productive meeting with
    @POTUS
    at the White House

We touched upon a series of issues including the situation at the border with Belarus

This is a hybrid attack. Not a migration crisis

Beginning of next week, we will very quickly expand our sanctions against Belarus.

--

The EU and the US will cooperate on countries of origins and on sanctioning third countries airlines involved in trafficking.
    Sandpit said:

I guess I’m pleased I didn’t get tix for the final now!

A team from a nation of 5m vs one from one from 20x more!
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

We touched upon a series of issues including the situation at the border with Belarus

Beginning of next week, we will very quickly expand our sanctions against Belarus.

--

The EU and the US will cooperate on countries of origins and on sanctioning third countries airlines involved in trafficking.

Good to see this language being used. We need to be really tough on Putin over this. Using people in this way is functionally the same as deploying suicide bombers. Wasting the lives of vulnerable people to achieve fear and division. May he rot in hell.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Right now, we have the post Covid boom to boost the fortunes of the Conservative Party. How will that end? Will it be gradual slowing of the economy around full employment (which would be great), or will inflation shoot up, necessitating rising interest rates and a hard landing?

We know inflation is shooting up, and we know that central banks are crossing their fingers and hoping it's a short-term transient effect related to a post-pandemic bounce.

The worst-case scenario is that it isn't transient, inflation stays high (or goes higher), and central banks then have to increase interest rates a lot (after massive damage to savings).

What might cause a structural change to high inflation?

Two possibilities I think. First is structural changes to the economy as a result of the pandemic might cause imbalances that create inflation. More demand for computer chips for example.

Second is a reversal of globalisation.
    That's spot on.

Imagine a world where - whenever demand grew too quickly - central banks had to slam the inflation brakes on. No one would offer multi-year fixed price mortgages, because it would be too risky. It would mean a return to people borrowing no more than 3.5x their income.

What would this mean?

Well, rising interest rates and inflation would be absolutely fantastic for people with fixed rate mortgages. I have a property with 2.5% fixed mortgage for five years. If inflation and interest rates were 15%, for three years, the value of my mortgage (in real terms) would drop almost 40%. And mortgage interest payments relative to income (or rent) would collapse. I would be "in the money".

On the other hand, people who have not gotten on the housing ladder would be hammered. Rents would rise with inflation, while the cost of getting a mortgage would rise, and banks willingness to lend drop. It would be particularly hard on people in their 20s.
    Oh dear… that’s very expensive… I have 7 year money at 1.49%…
    edited November 2021
    Given how many literal coups they have had this ruling from a Thai court seems highly ironic.

A top Thai court has ruled that calls by three protest leaders to reform the monarchy amount to an attempt to overthrow the political system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59230566

There are some political system overthrows we like, and some we don't like.
    eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

--

Sounds like a different tone compared to when Germany let in a million people or so...
    kle4 said:

Given how many literal coups they have had this ruling from a Thai court seems highly ironic.

A top Thai court has ruled that calls by three protest leaders to reform the monarchy amount to an attempt to overthrow the political system.

You can coup the Gov't in Thailand, but the Monarchy is sacrosanct.
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

You can coup the Gov't in Thailand, but the Monarchy is sacrosanct.
    Yeah, but the phrasing is real weak, since the former is still overthrowing the political system on a regular basis, just not as much as a campaign for mild reform is.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

--

Sounds like a different tone compared to when Germany let in a million people or so...
    Well there is quite a difference: the Belarus government is providing buses to dump migrants on the Polish border.

With the Mediterranean crisis, the government of Libya wasn't providing and manning the boats.
    IanB2 said:

Q: Will you say sorry for what happened last week?

A: Johnson says, since he is speaking in an international context, he wants to say the UK is not remotely corrupt. Today we have seen MPs maybe breaking the rules, he says. He says MPs who do break the rules should face punishment.

[Reminder: last week Johnson ordered his MPs to back an unprecedented motion to stop Owen Paterson from being punished for breaking the rules]

I sure do hope Boris Johnson's never broken any rules.
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Right now, we have the post Covid boom to boost the fortunes of the Conservative Party. How will that end? Will it be gradual slowing of the economy around full employment (which would be great), or will inflation shoot up, necessitating rising interest rates and a hard landing?

We know inflation is shooting up, and we know that central banks are crossing their fingers and hoping it's a short-term transient effect related to a post-pandemic bounce.

The worst-case scenario is that it isn't transient, inflation stays high (or goes higher), and central banks then have to increase interest rates a lot (after massive damage to savings).

Two possibilities I think. First is structural changes to the economy as a result of the pandemic might cause imbalances that create inflation. More demand for computer chips for example.

That's spot on.

Imagine a world where - whenever demand grew too quickly - central banks had to slam the inflation brakes on. No one would offer multi-year fixed price mortgages, because it would be too risky. It would mean a return to people borrowing no more than 3.5x their income.

What would this mean?

Well, rising interest rates and inflation would be absolutely fantastic for people with fixed rate mortgages. I have a property with 2.5% fixed mortgage for five years. If inflation and interest rates were 15%, for three years, the value of my mortgage (in real terms) would drop almost 40%. And mortgage interest payments relative to income (or rent) would collapse. I would be "in the money".

On the other hand, people who have not gotten on the housing ladder would be hammered. Rents would rise with inflation, while the cost of getting a mortgage would rise, and banks willingness to lend drop. It would be particularly hard on people in their 20s.
    Oh dear… that’s very expensive… I have 7 year money at 1.49%…
    That's because you live in your house.
    maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

England cases still down WoW despite schools being open, that's the effect of having that additional R budget available. Even if cases fall more slowly than when they were closed, we're still going to see falling cases over the next few weeks and then very, very big drops over the Xmas holidays.

There aren't many children still to catch it. And we're vaccinating that group. (And vaccination + infection is as good as it gets for preventing transmission.)

I wouldn't be surprised if - thanks to Delta - we never get to the sub-1,000/day that we had in the Summer of 2020. But that's OK. 2,000 people getting, but not getting particularly sick from, Covid is not the end of the world.
    Plenty of informed estimates have the long run equilibrium level of infections for the UK at something like 10x that given how often people get flu in their lifetime despite widespread immunity, and how much more infectious this is. Regardless, it doesn't need to be a big problem anymore.
    20,000 positive influenza tests per day on average? That means 7.3 million people get influenza every year in the UK. That seems high. (Possible, but high.)

20k was the covid figure as it's more infectious - but even on that maths you're basically saying it's a 10 year waning cycle before people get it again.
    Which is fine! We'll all get Covid (probably very mild) every decade or so. (Plus treatments will continue to improve.)
    IanB2 said:

A: Johnson says, since he is speaking in an international context, he wants to say the UK is not remotely corrupt. Today we have seen MPs maybe breaking the rules, he says. He says MPs who do break the rules should face punishment.

[Reminder: last week Johnson ordered his MPs to back an unprecedented motion to stop Owen Paterson from being punished for breaking the rules]

The government is pursuing a very 'these are not the droids you're looking for' approach re Paterson.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,094
    Pulpstar said:

Covid cases like a game of Brucie's play your cards right.

England cases higher or lower than 30,166 tommorow ?

Does this carry a Brucie Bonus?
  • Farooq said:

eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

--

Good to see this language being used. We need to be really tough on Putin over this. Using people in this way is functionally the same as deploying suicide bombers. Wasting the lives of vulnerable people to achieve fear and division. May he rot in hell.
    But woke..mumble..Putin, defender of the traditional family..mumble..valyoos..mumble..
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    A 'comfortable' win for NZ (well, they had an over to spare), as I predicted on here at 2pm today. A fabulous, exciting game, though.

Looking good for my only two pre-tournament bets: Pakistan to win, and Babar Azam to be top scorer (he needs 5 to overtake Buttler; others are way behind).
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

--

They seem to me to be switching to a policy more like the UK one from back then...
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Basically the young are fucked. We've had a decade of ultra low interest rates that's kept housing unaffordable (and made it worse in some parts of the country). And now we have inflation, we can't put up interest rates because that would also screw the young.
    On the whole the group least affected by inflation are those without any cash assets at this moment but are employable in ways which tend to have a rising scale of payment over time. Or, to put it another way, young people.

As to housing being unaffordable, unless there is no market (like the market in the Elgin Marbles or York Minster) it is, despite all the rhetoric, subject to the ancient laws of supply and demand, and a house is worth precisely what a willing buyer will pay and a willing seller accept. And, if my area is anything to go by, activity in this market is quite hot.

For 'unaffordable' read 'unsellable'.

Of course.

But there would be consequences to maximum mortgages being 3.5x salaries. It would mean - for example - that there was less profit to be made from developing land, so there would be fewer new houses built.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

@POTUS
    at the White House

--

Well there is quite a difference: the Belarus government is providing buses to dump migrants on the Polish border.

With the Mediterranean crisis, the government of Libya wasn't providing and manning the boats.
    Several issues:

1. It's dawned on the governments of the EU, including the Germans this time, that if irregular migrants aren't deterred then the flow will be huge and endless. So the EU doesn't want them.
    2. And it certainly doesn't want Lukashenko to get away with using them as weapons.
    3. With armed guards on both sides of the border, there's a material risk of this escalating into an armed conflict by accident. The Poles have already alleged that Belarusian border guards have made an incursion into their territory, and it would be ever so easy for one or more Belarusians to be shot if desperate migrants try to storm the border en masse and Polish troops resort to the use of live rounds.
    edited November 2021
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Basically the young are fucked. We've had a decade of ultra low interest rates that's kept housing unaffordable (and made it worse in some parts of the country). And now we have inflation, we can't put up interest rates because that would also screw the young.
    On the whole the group least affected by inflation are those without any cash assets at this moment but are employable in ways which tend to have a rising scale of payment over time. Or, to put it another way, young people.

As to housing being unaffordable, unless there is no market (like the market in the Elgin Marbles or York Minster) it is, despite all the rhetoric, subject to the ancient laws of supply and demand, and a house is worth precisely what a willing buyer will pay and a willing seller accept. And, if my area is anything to go by, activity in this market is quite hot.

Of course.

But there would be consequences to maximum mortgages being 3.5x salaries. It would mean - for example - that there was less profit to be made from developing land, so there would be fewer new houses built.
    If inflation and interest rates were 15%

Can we talk about more pleasent things please ?
    Like Covid.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

A 'comfortable' win for NZ (well, they had an over to spare), as I predicted on here at 2pm today. A fabulous, exciting game, though.

Looking good for my only two pre-tournament bets: Pakistan to win, and Babar Azam to be top scorer (he needs 5 to overtake Buttler; others are way behind).

@TheScreamingEagles I take it back. You were right. Sadly
  • UvdL on Biden meeting:

We agree that the Withdrawal Agreement and the Protocol should be implemented.

They are an efficient answer to the difficulties created by Brexit.

Now, Northern Ireland has access to both the EU and UK single markets.

We can flexible. But we need to stick to them.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1458493793766887427?s=20
  • Taz said:

I'm always right.
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Maybe capital will be more usefully engaged then, in improving economic productivity rather than thrown at a pumped-up housing market.
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Maybe capital will be more usefully engaged then, in improving economic productivity rather than thrown at a pumped-up housing market.
    Yup.
    Capitalism = great
    Rentier capitalism = fucking terrible
    This tweet would be considered utterly extraordinary if it was say from a BBC anchor regarding a trial

Jon Cooper Flag of United States
    @joncoopertweets
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think the judge in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial is blatantly working for the DEFENSE? Pouting face.

Meanwhile the twitter right have their tails up about the case

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet
    Find it incredibly funny how the Rittenhouse prosecution is acting like all they need to persuade is a far-left Twitter echo chamber, rather than an actual jury.

Sense it is going Rittenhouse's way
    When does Rittenhouse run for Congress ?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,092
    🐶 'He's a brilliant working dog, but I worry it interferes with his job as an MP'

My latest cartoon for tomorrow's @Telegraph

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1458480686218760202
  • Pulpstar said:

Around the same time as Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael.

I truly wish I was joking.
    Pulpstar said:

This tweet would be considered utterly extraordinary if it was say from a BBC anchor regarding a trial

@joncoopertweets
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think the judge in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial is blatantly working for the DEFENSE? Pouting face.

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet
    Find it incredibly funny how the Rittenhouse prosecution is acting like all they need to persuade is a far-left Twitter echo chamber, rather than an actual jury.

The left are going to go totally mad if he’s found not guilty, not just a few idiots on Twitter.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Like Covid.
    OK.

Has anyone noticed the growing sense of panic emanating from Germany yet?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

@joncoopertweets

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet

The left are going to go totally mad if he’s found not guilty, not just a few idiots on Twitter.
    I've just seen a few memes via WhatsApp but from those it doesn't seem as though the prosecution are having a good time of it. When your star witness says "yeah I pulled a gun on him" it's definitely not going well.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    I am sure many do, but time for them to have the courage of their convictions rather than just moan on the side

I expect a lot will depend on the next few weeks and the by election results before Christmas

And if labour cannot gain and hold a lead then when will they
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    Sadly you were here 😥
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2021
    IanB2 said:

This attempt at more patrician confidence to fall back on doesn't work here either. Coming from the mouth of a more traditional conservative, even from a figure like Jonathan Aitken, some voters might have bought it. But his brand is the 21st century troll, transgressor and provocateur, and it will just sound to people like more borrowed, second-hand lines again.
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:
    One senior Tory MP said: "It feels like a bit of a Black Wednesday moment. Very toxic. There is real fury, more deeply felt than when [former aide Dominic] Cummings went to Barnard Castle."

Another ex minister was overheard as saying 'we wish Boris would f*** off, he's only about himself'. “He has never had many friends in the Commons and the number of times he's marched us up the hill, he has fewer than ever."

One backbench Tory even predicted there could be a leadership challenge before the next election - if Labour pull ahead in the polls. They raged the Prime Minister is "lazy" and has "transactional friendships", surrounding himself with yes-men in a "weak" Cabinet.

Another Tory backbencher said: "A lot of us put our faith in him because he was an election winner. But the scales have started to fall away for many of us. If that lustre continues to fade..."

The word is he has never been liked. He got lucky in 2019 and now he has lost his touch like a political José Mourinho. "And now this, and his craven running off to Northumberland – just like he did when Foreign Secretary and he ran off to Kabul when there was a third runway [for Heathrow Airport] vote."
    Scott_xP said:
    Scott, the Mirror is less reliable of general opinion than the Guardian.
    And as for Twitter.
    There’s a reason why the first four letters of the site are ‘TWIT’.
  • Taz said:

I'm always right.
    Yes, when you claimed that you'd predicted a Kiwi win to jinx them, as you did earlier, you've covered your bases rather well.

Scott_xP said:
    And as for Twitter.
    Yes, but the second to fourth letters are ‘WIT’

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    Yes, when you claimed that you'd predicted a Kiwi win to jinx them, as you did earlier, you've covered your bases rather well.
    TBH I’d be delighted to see the Kiwis win.

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And as for Twitter.
    No, more important that without those three it would be WITless!
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

@joncoopertweets

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet

I've just seen a few memes via WhatsApp but from those it doesn't seem as though the prosecution are having a good time of it. When your star witness says "yeah I pulled a gun on him" it's definitely not going well.
    There was a video of the incident circulating at the time, that suggested self defence, and now the prosecution counsel appears to be agreeing that it was indeed self defence.

Looks like one of those prosecutions we get in the USA, as a result of the DA and state prosecutors being directly elected under partisan tickets.
    edited November 2021
    IanB2 said:

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    The only mammals which naturally fly in NZ are bats!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_xP said:
    I am sure many do, but time for them to have the courage of their convictions rather than just moan on the side

I expect a lot will depend on the next few weeks and the by election results before Christmas

It takes a few folk like your good self to take a chance. Doesn’t seem likely. Bubbles and habits are very hard to break in the days of social media.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I cannot believe Labour are going after someone as bullet proof as Cox. This is the score: useful fuckwits like Paterson and IDS get fobbed off with tips of £25,000 - £100,000. A £500m PPE contract is worth 5% commission any day of the week. Not all greedy politicians are as fuckwitted as those two.

Siri, calculate 5% of £500m.

And they go after Coxy for making a video call from the HoC. It's like watching two blindfolded drunks trying to have a fight, and failing to find each other.

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    Animals rather than mammals? Not many non-bat flying mammals anywhere.
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    And as for Twitter.
    'FUCK' omitted purely for reasons of decency.
    IshmaelZ said:

I cannot believe Labour are going after someone as bullet proof as Cox. This is the score: useful fuckwits like Paterson and IDS get fobbed off with tips of £25,000 - £100,000. A £500m PPE contract is worth 5% commission any day of the week. Not all greedy politicians are as fuckwitted as those two.

And they go after Coxy for making a video call from the HoC. It's like watching two blindfolded drunks trying to have a fight, and failing to find each other.

If there’s an issue around Cox it’s that he was defending a ‘corrupt’ colonial Government against an inquiry by the British government. In HoC time.

Not saying BVI government are corrupt; it’s just that, AIUI, that’s the charge!
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    IshmaelZ said:

Cox obviously strikes as all as a bit an unviting pudding of a man. However he's very sharp. Labour must have something else, or think they do.
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    I got into the thread and thought ’Oh Bother’!

IshmaelZ said:

If there’s an issue around Cox it’s that he was defending a ‘corrupt’ colonial Government against an inquiry by the British government. In HoC time.

A ‘corrupt’ colonial Government. Thank God the Mother of Parliaments is free of any such taint!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    Oh, look, a squirrel...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,530
    This seems an odd one to me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-59232955

Basically, the late Max Moseley (son of fascist Oswald Moseley), set up a trust in the name of his late son. The trust has given money to various Oxford colleges. It is claimed that the money came from the fortune Max Moseley inherited.

Therefore the money is tainted, and groups should have had a say in whether it was accepted.

The thing is, Max Moseley made plenty of money in his own right, and had strong links to Oxford University (he studied physics there, and was president of the Oxford Union). Discerning which chunk of money (if any) came from his awful father is probably going to be rather difficult.

I am not Jewish, and if I were my views might be different. But I think that even if the money did come from his father, and as a result of his fascism, then at least it'll be doing some good now.

(And not paying for hookers).
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

I'm always right.
    That’s not going to fly.
    Most animals are not mammals of course. Almost all aren't.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    It does seem incredible that US inflation is over 6%, the highest for over 30 years, yet the Fed not only keeps interest rates at zero, but is also planning on continuing with QE until mid next year. It seems to be completely asleep at the wheel.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

A ‘corrupt’ colonial Government. Thank God the Mother of Parliaments is free of any such taint!
    We've become the mother-in-law of Parliaments.
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cox obviously strikes as all as a bit an unviting pudding of a man. However he's very sharp. Labour must have something else, or think they do.
    He's sharp, he's had his day in the sun, he doesn't give a toss, he hasn't done anything dishonest, he arguably hasn't even technically broken the rules, and he's a fatter and more successful mirror image of SKS.
  • This seems an odd one to me:

Basically, the late Max Moseley (son of fascist Oswald Moseley), set up a trust in the name of his late son. The trust has given money to various Oxford colleges. It is claimed that the money came from the fortune Max Moseley inherited.

Therefore the money is tainted, and groups should have had a say in whether it was accepted.

The thing is, Max Moseley made plenty of money in his own right, and had strong links to Oxford University (he studied physics there, and was president of the Oxford Union). Discerning which chunk of money (if any) came from his awful father is probably going to be rather difficult.

I am not Jewish, and if I were my views might be different. But I think that even if the money did come from his father, and as a result of his fascism, then at least it'll be doing some good now.

Fruit from the poisonous tree.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

He's sharp, he's had his day in the sun, he doesn't give a toss, he hasn't done anything dishonest, he arguably hasn't even technically broken the rules, and he's a fatter and more successful mirror image of SKS.
    SKS started as a humans rights lawyer, and cut his teeth taking on McDonalds. A very different life story, I would say.

But I 100% agree with you that the contracts are the big story. I'd be very interested to see if journalists have uncovered more on this by the weekend ; a once-in-a-generation test of the British media itself, even.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited November 2021
    Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

It takes a few folk like your good self to take a chance. Doesn’t seem likely. Bubbles and habits are very hard to break in the days of social media.
    I am open to persuasion to change my vote but at present I do not know what labour or the lib dems are offering

The other problem is that the lib dems are extinct here and my constituency is a straight conservative - labour marginal

Time yet though
    Ratters said:

It does seem incredible that US inflation is over 6%, the highest for over 30 years, yet the Fed not only keeps interest rates at zero, but is also planning on continuing with QE until mid next year. It seems to be completely asleep at the wheel.

One assumes that the central banks are all assuming/hoping/praying that the inflation spike is transitory, which may very well turn out to be the case.

Governments, and an awful lot of businesses and households, are up to their eyeballs in debt. No-one wants to risk tanking the economy (and possibly triggering yet another banking crisis) by hiking rates substantially unless forced.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343

IshmaelZ said:

It's as old as the hills that lawyers do their best for clients whoever they are, within the rules of the legal profession, and that the taintedness of the client has no relation to the taintedness of the lawyer. English lawyers routinely represent foreign governments of every sort in English courts, from Norway to North Korea, Saudi Arabia to Sweden.

If this were not the case how would, say, the killer of Sarah Everard be represented?

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Way, way more successful. Completely different class.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

....and the awful farther had family money. Not sure that he actually made any money in his er... career.

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

I am open to persuasion to change my vote but at present I do not know what labour or the lib dems are offering

The other problem is that the lib dems are extinct here and my constituency is a straight conservative - labour marginal

Time yet though
    Here's a fiver - vote Omnium :)
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

How many of those critisicing him, are lawyers themselves who never got to the point of being able to bill £850 an hour?

The ‘use of facilities’ one is interesting. What’s the difference, in practice, between a phone call and a video conference? The only obvious one to me, would be if the background was obviously in the HoC, rather than just recognised as such by those who know it.

The Opposition spending time on Cox, are distracting themselves from more obvious cases such as undeclared corporate lobbying, which are definitely against the rules.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stepmom of parliaments shirly?
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Ummm: it is generally agreed there is a housing shortage in the UK. Now, it may be that - with Brexit - that demand for housing diminishes.

But the UK definitely has an issue that the average age of home ownership has risen sharply. Reducing the number of new homes built does not seem like an obvious help with that.
  • DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

More financially successful, but probably less morally successful.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stepmom of parliaments shirly?
    Oooh that's good, may have to nick that.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

@joncoopertweets

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet

I'm sure it will go his way: in the US you only need to persuade one juror to ensure no Guilty verdict.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. If he'd been in his house defending his property, it would be one thing. If it was his street or town where there was a riot, even that would a key mitigating factor: we all want to defend our homes and towns.

But he went out - across state borders with his guns - looking for a fight. At some point it ceases to be righteous self defence.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    pigeon said:

Ratters said:

One assumes that the central banks are all assuming/hoping/praying that the inflation spike is transitory, which may very well turn out to be the case.

Governments, and an awful lot of businesses and households, are up to their eyeballs in debt. No-one wants to risk tanking the economy (and possibly triggering yet another banking crisis) by hiking rates substantially unless forced.
    Quite, but central banks are very much at risk of the term 'transitory' becoming a joke and being forced to react more than they would have done. There's lots of positive feedback loops with inflation where there is a historically tight labour market and inflation-linked pensions.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Ummm: it is generally agreed there is a housing shortage in the UK. Now, it may be that - with Brexit - that demand for housing diminishes.

But the UK definitely has an issue that the average age of home ownership has risen sharply. Reducing the number of new homes built does not seem like an obvious help with that.
    The issue is the mix of housing actually built. The investor-led market, to date has supplied too many city-centre flats, sold off-plan to foreign investors, and not enough family houses - and definitely not enough self-build plots.

Restricting visa numbers to fewer than the number of houses (not flats) built the previous year might be a good starting point, and with exceptions such as healthcare subjecting the visas to an auction.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,530

I see this as firmly in 'he sins of a father should not be visited on the son' territory.

Max Moseley made a fortune on his own account. His dad made money from a variety of endeavours (he was an MP for both Labour and the Conservatives at various times), and had his own inheritance. How can you tell what money came from which source?

Unless all Moseley family money is to be seen as somehow poisonous fruit for evermore?

(And before anyone says, I was not a fan of Max Moseley when he was involved in F1.)

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Where are you getting that conclusion from?
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,182

....and the awful farther had family money. Not sure that he actually made any money in his er... career.
    Sir Oswald Mosley Bt inherited a fortune from his first wife, Cynthia, who was a co-heiress of Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, whose American wife was the heiress to the Marshall Fields fortune. So the cash really does have an Oxford link, as the Balliol rhyme makes clear:

My name is George Nathaniel Curzon,
    I am a most superior person.
    My cheek is pink, my hair is sleek,
    I dine at Blenheim once a week

Oswald Mosley was a bad man, but at least his cash can now do some good.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,765
    IanB2 said:

🐶 'He's a brilliant working dog, but I worry it interferes with his job as an MP'

My latest cartoon for tomorrow's @Telegraph

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1458480686218760202

Surely a dog would be far too intelligent to stand for Parliament?

I see this as firmly in 'he sins of a father should not be visited on the son' territory.

Max Moseley made a fortune on his own account. His dad made money from a variety of endeavours (he was an MP for both Labour and the Conservatives at various times), and had his own inheritance. How can you tell what money came from which source?

Unless all Moseley family money is to be seen as somehow poisonous fruit for evermore?

(And before anyone says, I was not a fan of Max Moseley when he was involved in F1.)
    Mosley
    Cicero said:

Sir Oswald Mosley Bt inherited a fortune from his first wife, Cynthia, who was a co-heiress of Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, whose American wife was the heiress to the Marshall Fields fortune. So the cash really does have an Oxford link, as the Balliol rhyme makes clear:

Curzon wasn't exactly a saint either.
    edited November 2021

DavidL said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Without the full litany of the cases he has worked I'm not sure how one would be able to judge that, even if we judge them by the cases they've worked or who they have represented in the first place.
    pigeon said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's spot on.

What would this mean?

Of course.

Like Covid.
    OK.

Has anyone noticed the growing sense of panic emanating from Germany yet?
    Who's panicking when they don't have a Government yet?
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

@joncoopertweets

Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet

I'm sure it will go his way: in the US you only need to persuade one juror to ensure no Guilty verdict.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. If he'd been in his house defending his property, it would be one thing. If it was his street or town where there was a riot, even that would a key mitigating factor: we all want to defend our homes and towns.

But he went out - across state borders with his guns - looking for a fight. At some point it ceases to be righteous self defence.
    Er - surely one dissenter leads to a hung jury and a mistrial? Not an automatic 'not guilty' verdict?

Jonathan said:

Scott_xP said:

Time yet though
    Plaid Cymru?
    Cicero said:

I had a great day f*x hunting from Kedleston, in the bad old days when that was a thing. Not quite Blenheim, but a fuck-off house by almost any other standard.
  • This seems an odd one to me:

Worth remembering how involved Max Mosley was in his father’s fascistnotfascist postwar party, into his 20s. I don’t think his bequests are entirely untainted in their own right.
This discussion has been closed.