Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The MPs in danger if the election went as today’s Ipsos poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic, Poland has every right to defend its border with Belarus. Makes our immigration issues look like a storm in a teacup.

And a fellow Nato member facing border difficulties - it could involve us in time.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Leaving aside the current polls, I strongly suspect that Altrincham and Sale West will go red next election unless the Tories win nationally by at least double digits. Demographically it's exactly the sort of young professional gentrifying suburb which is swinging hard away from the Tories for a decade or so, the flip side to the (more numerous) seats with white working class voters they are gaining.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited November 2021
    Certainly a number of Tory MPs would lose their seats if Mori is correct. Indeed the Conservatives would not have a single seat left in inner London. Though I suspect IDS would stand down beforehand and head to the Lords.

We would also be back to a hung parliament, only this time with the SNP, not the DUP or LDs, as Kingmakers
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Aren't you slightly cherrypicking?

How does 1997-2001 look or 2015-2017?

Swingback is normal, but not universal.
    Or, even 1974-9;

What would the PB of 1978 have been saying?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I appreciate this story is unremittingly sombre, but have to comment on the fact of a murderer named Grzeszcz being unmasked by a Detective Chief Inspector Richard Myszczyszyn, in Lincolnshire.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/08/teenage-killer-boy-12-unmasked-jailed-trying-decapitate-friend/
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Leaving aside the current polls, I strongly suspect that Altrincham and Sale West will go red next election unless the Tories win nationally by at least double digits. Demographically it's exactly the sort of young professional gentrifying suburb which is swinging hard away from the Tories for a decade or so, the flip side to the (more numerous) seats with white working class voters they are gaining.

This is a seat I'm planning on doing a thread on.

Is about the Green dynamic, is it places like this where the Green surge damages Labour badly.
  • Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

Good Lord. The futility of feeding mid term polls into Electoral Calculus has been given an air of respectability. There’s no hope now

The Conservative Party has two moods, complacency and panic, extrapolating from midterms polls is what saw Thatcher ousted for example.
    Good move though. She would have lost in 92 sticking by the poll tax.
    Nah, I reckon she would have called an election of June 1991, after the victory of glow of Iraq, slaughtered Kinnock during the campaign.
    Not unless she had dropped the poll tax as Major did.

Otherwise Kinnock may have become PM in 1992 with Heseltine as leader of the opposition
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Leon said:

He has one obvious chance for a big comeback. If Britain pushes through winter with no more lockdowns, no restrictions and ever-declining Covid (as seems possible, at least) while many of our European friends are forced into more lockdowns and suffer worsening Covid, then Boris will be seen as a great liberator. I expect many voters will forgive or forget the sleaze, and return to the True Faith

Lots could go wrong, however, of course

There's always a straw to cling to for those of the Conservative faith, eh, Martin?

I suppose there's always the "look much better the UK is doing than (fill in the blank)". After all, that's where we are with the debate, some claim the pandemic ended in July, others say it's still a crisis yet for some it's a macabre national contest to see who is doing "better" or "worse".
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Am I the only one who remembers us trying all sorts of things last autumn/winter to try to find something short of national lockdown that would prevent hospitals being overwhelmed?

Rule of Six, masking, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, local lockdowns, stuff like that?
    It’s not like we only ever tried lockdowns. We have plenty of data on what happened with the alternative options.

"Hospitals being overwhelmed" is lazy shorthand. According to the Guardian they have been overwhelmed or close to it every winter for the past 20 years.

I have said that we saw the pictures of Northern Italy and understandably panicked. And from that moment on everything was done in panic - from Nightingales to care homes. We didn't stop to think through the consequences or do any scenario analysis including all risk factors.
    So, in your view, covid didn’t do anything out of the usual for the NHS?
    Yeah, I think we’re done here. There’s no evidence you’re ever going to accept.

Scientific papers? Pshaw, if they don’t say what you want, they’re irrelevant.

The level of acute beds taken up and the ICNARC reports on ICU loading? Nothing out of the ordinary.

Any evidence on comparability of Nordic countries on multiple measures and their differences from the UK? Nope, not listening.

Why should anyone waste their time showing you any evidence on it? You’ve made your mind up, and facts aren’t going to sway that.
    Are those graphs on their way? Control for any factor you think relevant. Single households, etc. Looking forward to it.

Your comfort blanket of lockdown, lockdown sooner, lockdown longer has been a persistent feature of Covid on PB. Of course you hate lockdown but it is your go-to response when one country has shown that it can be handled without for example, taking children out of school and other measures.

But you hate that because you are so invested in lockdown. With people like you I suspect we will get another lockdown or two before the pandemic is over. Because they work. And the NHS is swamped.
    Lol.
    Yeah, sure. I never spent ages arguing last year that we needed to find the "low hanging fruit" and see which NPIs worked best in order to avoid lockdowns.
    Never said that lockdowns were a crude instrument.
    Never had issues with a severely autistic son getting frazzled.

Got to laugh, really.
    Still no graphs.

Sorry to hear about your son.
    If you want more graphs, why not go and get them yourself? The site from where they’re sourced is on all of them. I haven’t got the time or inclination to run around getting them for you. After all, I’ve concluded that you’re not amenable to evidence, so why would I waste my time (and yours) on it any further?

And thank you for your sympathy on my lad. It’s been a heck of a time, but he’s born up really well, all things considered.
    Glad to hear it.

I just posted the excess death stats. Sweden was 109 (excess deaths per 100,000) while most of non-Scandi Europe was above and Sweden's nearest neighbours well below.

Sweden on excess deaths = top of the pack EU-wide and bottom of the pack Scandi-wide.

Doesn't excess deaths control for all those factors that have been pointed out contribute to Sweden's Covid performance.
    No, excess deaths does not control for factors like single occupancy and lack of intergenerational family units.

To demonstrate this think of a extremely deadly and highly transmissible virus that only killed native French speakers.

France introduces a draconian lockdown and still suffers high level of deaths, massive excess mortality.

Sweden introduces no restrictions and barely anyone dies. Barely a ripple of excess mortality.
    LOL. So everyone says that the only meaningful metric is excess deaths but no. Not for Sweden.
    All im saying is the excess deaths as a measure does not have the properties you claim it does.

Excess deaths is a great measure but it doesn't do magic.

You do get why my hypothetical example shows that. If it helps, imagine @TheScreamingEagles concocted the virus.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Good Lord. The futility of feeding mid term polls into Electoral Calculus has been given an air of respectability. There’s no hope now

Yes, add in a bit of tactical voting to the eye of bat and tail of newt and give it all a stir!

No doubt though that Johnson has lost his sheen. Can he regain it? Or is his act as dated as Jim Davidson?
    He has one obvious chance for a big comeback. If Britain pushes through winter with no more lockdowns, no restrictions and ever-declining Covid (as seems possible, at least) while many of our European friends are forced into more lockdowns and suffer worsening Covid, then Boris will be seen as a great liberator. I expect many voters will forgive or forget the sleaze, and return to the True Faith

I think our European friends will certainly suffer worsening Covid over the winter.

The question is whether it is like (say) California, where there are vaxports and mask mandates, but cases and deaths are largely uncorrelated, and life continues pretty much as normal otherwise.

Or, whether it results in either spiking deaths and/or actual lockdowns. (As in, businesses shut and people banned from social activities.)

My money is on the first of these, but we shall see.
    It's all relative. If the next couple of months in the EU as a whole look like the last couple of months in the US, it will be difficult to treat it as a return to normal.

• Options
    isam said:

What ought to happen, PB gets mothballed until Her Maj blows the whistle on the GE campaign?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    IshmaelZ said:

I appreciate this story is unremittingly sombre, but have to comment on the fact of a murderer named Grzeszcz being unmasked by a Detective Chief Inspector Richard Myszczyszyn, in Lincolnshire.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/08/teenage-killer-boy-12-unmasked-jailed-trying-decapitate-friend/

There is an appalling lack of vowels for our Polish diaspora community. The government needs to arrange a letter swap with Polynesia, which suffers a consonant shortage of similar degree.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

There are serious snowflakes in sport these days:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/08/eddie-jones-criticised-comments-emma-raducanu-tennis

Jones, who was speaking after England defeated Tonga in the Autumn Nations Series on Saturday, used Raducanu as a cautionary example when discussing the need for Marcus Smith, the talented young England rugby player, to remain focused: “The big thing for good young players is distractions … there’s a reason why the young girl who won the US Open hasn’t done so well afterwards,” said Jones

The comments prompted criticism on social media, the BBC sports presenter Gabby Logan called Jones’s comments “unbelievably unfair and not even remotely comparable … imagine an 18-year-old rugby player winning a World Cup having never played a club game.” Logan’s response was endorsed by the tennis coach Judy Murray.

Jones is bang on the money.

Whether he is or not I don't get the outrage, he's entitled to his opinion.
    Just to make sure I am getting this right:

We have a right to an opinion that when an 18 year old tennis player has won 2 matches and lost 2 matches we can say she is not doing well and attribute that to a specific cause.

However we do not have the right to a critical opinion when an experienced sports manager fundamentally misunderstands the career path of a young player in a different sport?

Who is the real snowflake here? If Jones can dish it out, he should be quite happy to receive incoming, especially when he is in the wrong as he was today.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Yes, add in a bit of tactical voting to the eye of bat and tail of newt and give it all a stir!

No doubt though that Johnson has lost his sheen. Can he regain it? Or is his act as dated as Jim Davidson?

I think our European friends will certainly suffer worsening Covid over the winter.

The question is whether it is like (say) California, where there are vaxports and mask mandates, but cases and deaths are largely uncorrelated, and life continues pretty much as normal otherwise.

Or, whether it results in either spiking deaths and/or actual lockdowns. (As in, businesses shut and people banned from social activities.)

My money would also be on the first. There is immense resistance to new lockdowns

However, a couple of countries could succumb. Belgium, maybe - they are already close to lockdown 7 (or whatever it is). Holland. Perhaps one of the Baltics or Hungary/Poland
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited November 2021
    Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Am I the only one who remembers us trying all sorts of things last autumn/winter to try to find something short of national lockdown that would prevent hospitals being overwhelmed?

It’s not like we only ever tried lockdowns. We have plenty of data on what happened with the alternative options.

"Hospitals being overwhelmed" is lazy shorthand. According to the Guardian they have been overwhelmed or close to it every winter for the past 20 years.

I have said that we saw the pictures of Northern Italy and understandably panicked. And from that moment on everything was done in panic - from Nightingales to care homes. We didn't stop to think through the consequences or do any scenario analysis including all risk factors.

The level of acute beds taken up and the ICNARC reports on ICU loading? Nothing out of the ordinary.

Any evidence on comparability of Nordic countries on multiple measures and their differences from the UK? Nope, not listening.

Why should anyone waste their time showing you any evidence on it? You’ve made your mind up, and facts aren’t going to sway that.
    Are those graphs on their way? Control for any factor you think relevant. Single households, etc. Looking forward to it.

Your comfort blanket of lockdown, lockdown sooner, lockdown longer has been a persistent feature of Covid on PB. Of course you hate lockdown but it is your go-to response when one country has shown that it can be handled without for example, taking children out of school and other measures.

But you hate that because you are so invested in lockdown. With people like you I suspect we will get another lockdown or two before the pandemic is over. Because they work. And the NHS is swamped.
    Lol.
    Yeah, sure. I never spent ages arguing last year that we needed to find the "low hanging fruit" and see which NPIs worked best in order to avoid lockdowns.

Got to laugh, really.
    Still no graphs.

If you want more graphs, why not go and get them yourself? The site from where they’re sourced is on all of them. I haven’t got the time or inclination to run around getting them for you. After all, I’ve concluded that you’re not amenable to evidence, so why would I waste my time (and yours) on it any further?

And thank you for your sympathy on my lad. It’s been a heck of a time, but he’s born up really well, all things considered.
    Glad to hear it.

I just posted the excess death stats. Sweden was 109 (excess deaths per 100,000) while most of non-Scandi Europe was above and Sweden's nearest neighbours well below.

Sweden on excess deaths = top of the pack EU-wide and bottom of the pack Scandi-wide.

Doesn't excess deaths control for all those factors that have been pointed out contribute to Sweden's Covid performance.
    No, excess deaths does not control for factors like single occupancy and lack of intergenerational family units.

To demonstrate this think of a extremely deadly and highly transmissible virus that only killed native French speakers.

France introduces a draconian lockdown and still suffers high level of deaths, massive excess mortality.

Sweden introduces no restrictions and barely anyone dies. Barely a ripple of excess mortality.
    LOL. So everyone says that the only meaningful metric is excess deaths but no. Not for Sweden.
    All im saying is the excess deaths as a measure does not have the properties you claim it does.

You do get why my hypothetical example shows that. If it helps, imagine @TheScreamingEagles concocted the virus.
    Yes I get it.

SINGLE PERSON HOUSEHOLDS.

Explains the entire global Covid stats discrepancy.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

What ought to happen, PB gets mothballed until Her Maj blows the whistle on the GE campaign?

We'd probably all say much the same post-mothballing :)
  • Options

Quincel said:

Is about the Green dynamic, is it places like this where the Green surge damages Labour badly.
    It depends how even that swing is Greens are notoriously willing to Tactically Vote where it matters in a marginal. Just look at the other Brighton seats.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/08/eddie-jones-criticised-comments-emma-raducanu-tennis

Jones, who was speaking after England defeated Tonga in the Autumn Nations Series on Saturday, used Raducanu as a cautionary example when discussing the need for Marcus Smith, the talented young England rugby player, to remain focused: “The big thing for good young players is distractions … there’s a reason why the young girl who won the US Open hasn’t done so well afterwards,” said Jones

The comments prompted criticism on social media, the BBC sports presenter Gabby Logan called Jones’s comments “unbelievably unfair and not even remotely comparable … imagine an 18-year-old rugby player winning a World Cup having never played a club game.” Logan’s response was endorsed by the tennis coach Judy Murray.

We have a right to an opinion that when an 18 year old tennis player has won 2 matches and lost 2 matches we can say she is not doing well and attribute that to a specific cause.

However we do not have the right to a critical opinion when an experienced sports manager fundamentally misunderstands the career path of a young player in a different sport?
    Where on earth did you get that idea? No, you haven't got that right in the slightest, and I don't know how you even reached that conclusion. That's just a barmy interpretation. I said I didn't get the outrage, nothing at all like that he couldn't be criticised for his opinion. I've criticised it myself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Where on earth did you get that idea? No, you haven't got that right in the slightest, and I don't know how you even reached that conclusion.
    Why does Jones have a right to an opinion about Raducanu when Logan and Murray are seemingly not allowed their opinion about Jones?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited November 2021
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but the polling for Biden and Harris today looks dire for the Dems' prospects next year:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/08/biden-disapproval-near-60-percent-most-say-no-to-reelection-bid/

Nearly half voters say Biden is worse than expected, and over half think he is not focussed on the important issues.

See my post earlier about Mark Penn's Op-Ed in NYTimes.

TL;DR - Head for the centre now Biden, as fast as you can and ditch AOC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/opinion/biden-democrats-2022-2024.html
    Sadly it's not going to happen - but the Democrats need to change tack quickly.
    Yep, good OpEd. I forget who it was on here going on about how the electorate loved the Build Back Better program. Well, yes, they like each of the components in principle, but a $5 trillion bill when combined with the Infrastructure Bill was always going to turn off the middle classes, as they know they are the ones who will end up paying for unfunded government spending.
    It wasn't unfunded. It was funded by taxing corporartions and the super rich, another policy that polled incredibly well with massive bipartisan support amongst the electorate.

The just passed infrastructure bill by conteast, so beloved of the Congressional and Senate centerists, is unfunded and adds hundreds of billions to the national debt.
    Don't remember where you live in the US, but that may be what you're hearing/reading where you are, but it is definitely not the vibe I am getting in the DC metro area. And not sure why it is being referred to OMB if it is generally accepted as being fully funded.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Where on earth did you get that idea? No, you haven't got that right in the slightest, and I don't know how you even reached that conclusion.
    Why does Jones have a right to an opinion about Raducanu when Logan and Murray are seemingly not allowed their opinion about Jones?
    Who said they don't? You're completely losing me here.

I'm not sure I understand where the controversy is here - are you reading 'I don't get the outrage' as 'they should not be able to say that' or something? Because that's barmy.

Since when is not being as outraged as someone elses opinion is mean thinking they should not be able to express their opinion?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Lol.

Got to laugh, really.
    Still no graphs.

Glad to hear it.

Yes I get it.

All I have to say is follow the money:

Pfizer produced the first and best Covid vaccine.

Pfizer now flog boosters due to fading of the vaccines.

Pfizer announced last week that they have the fitst Protease inhibitor that works on covid.

If that virus doesn't have a Pfizer trademark on it somewhere...🤔

(And their virus is as effective as their other products!)

FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF ANY DOUBT, THIS POST IS TONGUE IN CHEEK!
  • Options
    Apparently we need a trans crossing in Camden.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Certainly a number of Tory MPs would lose their seats if Mori is correct. Indeed the Conservatives would not have a single seat left in inner London. Though I suspect IDS would stand down beforehand and head to the Lords.

We would also be back to a hung parliament, only this time with the SNP, not the DUP or LDs, as Kingmakers

And you have just made the case why the lords should be abolished

IDS automatically goes to the unelected Lords after he decides to stand down

More sleaze
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

There is an appalling lack of vowels for our Polish diaspora community. The government needs to arrange a letter swap with Polynesia, which suffers a consonant shortage of similar degree.
    Pls gv gnrsly.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Does Boris have a conscience? Lady Macbeth did, down deep.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!–One: two: why,
    then, ’tis time to do’t.–Hell is murky!–Fie, my
    lord, fie! a soldier, and afeard? What need we
    fear who knows it, when none can call our power to
    account?"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

I'm not sure I understand where the controversy is here - are you reading 'I don't get the outrage' as 'they should not be able to say that' or something? Because that's barmy.
    At a minimum I would read that as "they should not have said it"?

Why use "outrage"? The comments of “unbelievably unfair and not even remotely comparable" are simply accurate observations, not outrage.
  • Options

How does the cross dresser get to the other side?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited November 2021
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

But 2001 was an easy victory for the govt wasn’t it? 2017… can you analyse that in this way? Anyway, the Tories lead in seats didn’t go down that much, it just so happened that it went from small majority to a few seats short.

I’m picking the ones where incumbents looked in trouble and won. Here’s another.

• Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Lol.

Got to laugh, really.
    Still no graphs.

Glad to hear it.

Yes I get it.

Pfizer announced last week that they have the fitst Protease inhibitor that works on covid.

It came from a lab: a Pfizer lab. Leon needs to get on the case.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

TOPPING said:

Alistair said:

FTPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Lol.

Got to laugh, really.
    Still no graphs.

Glad to hear it.

Yes I get it.

Just what I'd expect from a Big Pharma shill so called "doctor"

SO IS THIS
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Quincel said:

The Greens polling figures strike me as being more about the brand recognition rather than the qualities of their largely unknown new co-leaders.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

He is a former Cabinet Minister and party leader, exactly the type who should be part of the Lords as well as the high flyers from other professions, business, the arts, sport, religious leaders etc
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Some Hebrew texts just miss out all the vowels and you have to guess what they might be. So GN in English could be gain, gene, gin, gone, gun, goon, etc.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The polls swungback pretty sharply after the one point they swangaway.

2017 is an aberration where there wasn't a full Parliament and there was Theresa May so I'm not sure I'd use that as an example of anything.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

There's always a straw to cling to for those of the Conservative faith, eh, Martin?

I suppose there's always the "look much better the UK is doing than (fill in the blank)". After all, that's where we are with the debate, some claim the pandemic ended in July, others say it's still a crisis yet for some it's a macabre national contest to see who is doing "better" or "worse".
    Er, what?

It's a game everyone in every country is playing. Earlier today we had a big discussion of Why wasn't Britain as good as Sweden

To which some said No, Sweden was crap

In Germany their debate is Why can't we have Freedom Day like the Britz, with plenty saying No, the British are mad

This is actually healthy. This is countries and systems learning from each other. More, please
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Is the crossing transitioning M-F or F-M?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Some Hebrew texts just miss out all the vowels and you have to guess what they might be. So GN in English could be gain, gene, gin, gone, gun, goon, etc.

Arabic ditto
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Well that is not what I wrote, its not what I meant, and inventing an entirely different meaning with negative implications seemingly because of the use of a single word you took issue with strikes me as somewhat unreasonable.

I'm not sure how I can reassure you otherwise given I never said what you claimed in the first place. I was already clear subsequently I certainly don't agree with Jones' opinion. If you want to substitute 'outrage' for some other word go ahead, I just don't understand why Jones saying it caused such a stir in the first place.

I'm a little surprised you'd take a single word and extrapolate so wildly from it. Perhaps give some benefit of the doubt.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Well that is not what I wrote, its not what I meant, and inventing an entirely different meaning with negative implications seemingly because of the use of a single word you took issue with strikes me as somewhat unreasonable.

I'm not sure how I can reassure you otherwise given I never said what you claimed in the first place. I was already clear subsequently I certainly don't agree with Jones' opinion. If you want to substitute 'outrage' for some other word go ahead, I just don't understand why Jones saying it caused such a stir in the first place.
    It is not such a stir. He said something wrong. Others corrected him, but are accused of outrage or creating a stir for correcting him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

He is a former Cabinet Minister and party leader, exactly the type who should be part of the Lords as well as the high flyers from other professions, business, the arts, sport, religious leaders etc
    The HOL needs either abolitioning or elected on a fair bases, and not a place for politicians to retire to and earn £300 a day
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

This is now possible following Brexit as the EU banned the import of both vowels and consonants from non EU countries, this was a protectionist move from Finns and Lithuanians to preserve their unique and historic markets in declensions and conjugations.

• Options

Is that actually legal? I assume so, as it'd be a bit of an annoyance to do the gesture and then find the crossing is no longer valid or something.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Arabic ditto
    svs ppr nd pprs bt cn cs cnfsn

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Same in Arabic. But then in Kufic script they also missed out the dots that distinguish between the consonants n, t, th, b, y (and other smaller groups of consonants, e.g. s/sh). A beautiful script, mind.

https://kibreeteh.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/kufic_quran_7th_cent.jpg
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The HOL needs either abolitioning or elected on a fair bases, and not a place for politicians to retire to and earn £300 a day
    Good news, as it is an allowance they don't need to 'earn' it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

What do people think will be Labour's biggest lead this year?

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a 5% outlier.

8% outlier; 3-4% average.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Arabic ditto
    svs ppr

gd pnt
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Is that actually legal? I assume so, as it'd be a bit of an annoyance to do the gesture and then find the crossing is no longer valid or something.
    I actually think it breaks the equality act, may make it difficult for blind/partially sighted people to use that crossing.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Quincel said:

The Greens polling figures strike me as being more about the brand recognition rather than the qualities of their largely unknown new co-leaders.
    Yes, and the COP26 publicity.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Quincel said:

That and the pumping sewage into the rivers story.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Arabic ditto
    svs ppr

gd pnt
    Do you save more if both pepper and paper are ppr? Or would that pauper us?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think guide dogs can't see them properly and they freak horses out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Arabic ditto
    svs ppr

gd pnt

Sieves pooper?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I actually think it breaks the equality act, may make it difficult for blind/partially sighted people to use that crossing.
    It isn't a pelican or zebra crossing so I think not.

I see the instructions on the road tell us to "look both ways". Good advice for those discovering their gender identity.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The allowance is paid on the basis of attendance and there is no reason why we should not have experienced elder statesmen in our upper house.

Make the Lords into an elected Senate like the US and it would also seek to be able to block Bills permanently, not merely delay as the Lords does now and we would end up with the same legislative deadlock the US has if a different party controls the House and Senate
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    kle4 said:

Celebrating Liquorice Allsorts.

Cool.
  • Options
    TimT said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Same in Arabic. But then in Kufic script they also missed out the dots that distinguish between the consonants n, t, th, b, y (and other smaller groups of consonants, e.g. s/sh). A beautiful script, mind.

What we need is a script which misses out both vowels and consonants.

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

No TERFs allowed
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    algarkirk said:

TimT said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Y?
  • Options
    American progressives are now turning on successful immigrants for not supporting their causes.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    MrEd said:

No TERFs allowed
    Cis people don't need a crossing. Only Trans people do. Cis people stick to their own side.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    algarkirk said:

TimT said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

,'""? (For those having difficulty, this post reads: So, we'd have to read texts just from the "punctuation"?)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The allowance is paid on the basis of attendance and there is no reason why we should not have experienced elder statesmen in our upper house.

Make the Lords into an elected Senate like the US and it would also seek to be able to block Bills permanently, not merely delay as the Lords does now and we would end up with the same legislative deadlock the US has if a different party controls the House and Senate
    The US seems to have got by quite well without a House of Lords. I don't see them rushing to implement it. Occasionally a check and balance may get in the way of the executive. As we saw in January and last week, that's not always a bad thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Yes, I agree

IDS is exactly the kind of person you want in the Lords, if you want senior politicians. Thoughtful, hard working, experienced at a very high level, has done good work on poverty, and he represents a big strand of opinion in British life. Why would he not be an asset in a sensible, law-modifying 2nd chamber?

I would say the same for Jeremy Corbyn. I despise his politics, but he has never broken the law, and he is clearly popular with many, and represents a definite slice of British politics. And he has wisdom (of his own kind) after many years. Put him in the Lords, too. This is not a party political thing. If you have an appointed revising 2nd chamber then these people should be in it
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

It is not such a stir. He said something wrong. Others corrected him, but are accused of outrage or creating a stir for correcting him.
    As I said I have no idea how to reassure you because you've accused me several times of something I never said (and thanks for not acknowledging that), and I'm baffled as to what you think is going on here as a result. You seem to be over analysing individual word usage and seeing things that are not there as a result. Now you're seemingly getting huffy about the expression 'such a stir', and forgive me but I really don't think you can grab a precise definition from a casual expression and use it as proof of...I still have no clue.

We've already gone from you incorrectly thinking it was about preventing people criticising Jones, and now we're onto it about being too harsh about them criticising Jones, so we're making progress at least but still not there.

Since you began you're entirely incorrect interpretation with 'just to make sure I have this right', and you didn't, how about we leave it at that? You interpreting my words for me isn't working, and my explaining what my words meant apparently isn't convincing you that I don't have some desire to stymie criticise of Jones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

That could work. The Australian Senate has 1911 House of Lords powers, IIRC
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Whilst not disagreeing with any of that there is a lot of dead wood and has-beens there.

And unless the topic is cricket or getting drunk with Australians I'm not sure what Botham offers that many more can't.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Questionable. It is public art placed in a crossing.

https://glostext.gloucestershire.gov.uk/documents/s65318/2020-09-21 - COSC - Rainbow Crossings.pdf

Sent: 27 Aug 2020 10:02
    To: "JOHNS, Anne" ; TRAFFIC SIGNS

Cc: Authorisation Requests
    Subject: RE: Rainbow crossings

Thank you for your email about rainbow crossings.

The Department for Transport is aware that this has been used in a few places and our view is that
    you would need to seek your own legal advice as to whether your proposals comply with the
    relevant legislation.

All pedestrian crossings are regulated by the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016
    (TSRGD). This includes zebras, puffins, and the type of pedestrian facilities at junctions referred to
    here.

TSRGD prescribes the signs, signals and markings that must be used to create the different types of
    crossing. The Traffic Signs Manual gives guidance on the use of road markings in Chapter 5, but the
    requirements of TSRGD take precedence over any good practice guidance.
    In the Department’s view, coloured surfacing is not considered a traffic sign or road marking and
    therefore doesn’t come within the scope of the TSRGD. It has no legal meaning and therefore could
    be placed within the crossing studs at a signal-controlled crossing, or pedestrian facility at a junction.

The use of surfacing in this way needs careful thought. Striped designs must be avoided – there is a
    trend to use surfacing materials (e.g. different types of stone paviour) in patterns to mark informal
    crossings, including some that are striped. Our view is that any crossing that is not a zebra must not
    resemble one. That would extend to using a striped pattern at a signalled crossing. Zebra crossings
    have a defined priority in law, and anything that looks like one could lead pedestrians to assume
    priority when it doesn’t exist. The artwork must not alter the appearance of the prescribed crossing
    signals, signs and markings in any way, as this may mean they were no longer compliant with TSRGD.

I would like to draw a couple of practical points to your attention – if there is a notice or poster
    explaining what the artwork is, then it should be sited so that people don’t block the footway when
    they stop to read it, or have to put themselves in a dangerous position. And if this is to be a
    permanent installation, then there is a need to think about maintenance in the longer term as
    surfacing can have quite a short life.

Any authority using these should consider the possible impact on road users, perhaps through a risk
    assessment process.

I hope this reply is helpful.

With regards
    DFT
  • Options

American progressives are now turning on successful immigrants for not supporting their causes.

No doubt, Melinda also decries the racism of the right, without the slightest hint of self awareness or irony.
  • Options

"Go home"??

"GO HOME"??????

wow
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

'non-white flavor'

She lists two tech m(b?)illionaires Theil & Khosla - one of german the other of indian heritage...
    Her tweets now seem to be protected.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

For sure. But the obstacle is, that for elected politicians, the mere hint of elevation into that circus - as the SNP called it today - is often enough to get a politician to do what you want, or a businessman to open his wallet. For both Tory and Labour the patronage and preferment they can dispense via the Lords is just too juicy for them to contemplate taking it away and letting the unwashed such as us choose who goes there.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    dr_spyn said:

Quincel said:

If I may interject from the Sale East bit of neighbouring Wythenshawe and Sale East - yes, but...

It's not really 'gentrifying'. This is one of the wealthiest seats in the north west, and has been for my whole life. There's the odd humdrum council estate, the odd bit of semi-detached post war suburbia, the odd flattage in Altrincham town centre - but much of the seat is very wealthy indeed, and always has been. This isn't Bristol West or Sheffield Central. Hale, Halebarns, and Bowdon are footballer country.

That said, this area is trending leftwards. Boris's brand of conservatism doesn't necessarily go down well here - this is much more Cameroon country. The modern conservative party are a little gauche for this lot. And this may be outer GM, but it is still a conurbation with its urban concerns. This is home to the polite upper echelons of the public sector. That said, to much surprise, the Green Party have from nowehere started doing well in Altrincham ward: I put that down to a combination of circumstances: concerted opposition to large-scale local development (all incumbent parties suffered here) which the Greens campained on (cf Chesham and Amersham) together with a briefly highly unpalatable Labour Party (I would expect this to recede as Corbynism fades away) and a mysterious history of weakness by the Lib Dems in the sort of territory they would normally do well in.

For a long time the Tories performed disproportionately well in Trafford in part due to Labour's locally unpopular policy on grammar schools (Trafford is still selective). Without getting into the rights and wrongs of this, there are always a lot of votes to be got out when a status quo is felt to be under attack. Labour have toned this down a lot and are no longer seen as the threat they once were.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

'non-white flavor'

She lists two tech m(b?)illionaires Theil & Khosla - one of german the other of indian heritage...
    Well, they clearly needed more protection if Michael Vaughan was able to hack them like that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The Australian Senate, elected by PR by state, has actually got almost equal legislative power with the House of Representatives. It can approve, reject or defer all bills from the lower house even if it cannot introduce or amend appropriation bills

• Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Yes, I agree

IDS is exactly the kind of person you want in the Lords, if you want senior politicians. Thoughtful, hard working, experienced at a very high level, has done good work on poverty, and he represents a big strand of opinion in British life. Why would he not be an asset in a sensible, law-modifying 2nd chamber?

I would say the same for Jeremy Corbyn. I despise his politics, but he has never broken the law, and he is clearly popular with many, and represents a definite slice of British politics. And he has wisdom (of his own kind) after many years. Put him in the Lords, too. This is not a party political thing. If you have an appointed revising 2nd chamber then these people should be in it
    Intelligence is no longer a criterion, then?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TimT said:

No doubt, Melinda also decries the racism of the right, without the slightest hint of self awareness or irony.
    If that wasn't a spot on parody account it should be. It's not even subtle in its racism. I'll assume parody until proved otherwise, as jeez...
  • Options

"Go home" ???

If that isn't a fake, then wowzers.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

You found an arsehole on Twitter and extrapolated.
    Slow hand clap.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    edited November 2021

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

It's all relative. If the next couple of months in the EU as a whole look like the last couple of months in the US, it will be difficult to treat it as a return to normal.

It is worth remembering that that EU number covers a wide variety of different sins:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

'non-white flavor'

The left welcomes immigrants, along as they stay poor and do not get rich and become conservative
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Quincel said:

That and the pumping sewage into the rivers story.
    The Rivers one was in large measure fake (or at least heavily spun) news. Generate some meaningless big scary numbers and shout through a megaphone to scare people, with no examination whatsoever of practicality or costs, and no context or engagement with reality. Just another Green outrage bus.

No comparisons with similar countries - the same issue is in other countries, and Scotland has twice as many combined sewer outfalls per pop as England. But obvs SNP politics is 90% finger pointing, and 10% doing useful stuff for Scotland. So that was Blackford's speech.

Just how they all roll.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The US system appears designed to cope with the potential insanity of any of its three legs by making sure the others can always stop anything happening.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Yes, I agree

'No longer'?

The main criterion used to be birth. Then wealth and birth. Then who you know and if you are lucky being an expert.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Slow hand clap.
    It's hardly an extrapolation. She is repulsive. I see she is now protecting her tweets, she will hopefully be cancelled this evening (she has, it appears, a history of this stuff)

And arseholes-on-Twitter is the metric of today. It is how we assess the world. She just got assessed
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    algarkirk said:

TimT said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just ask the Chinese, Japanese and (I think?) Mayans.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Yes, I agree

'No longer'?

The main criterion used to be birth. Then wealth and birth. Then who you know and if you are lucky being an expert.
    Fair comment, you win. Big mistake on my part.

How can I ever post here again?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

It is worth remembering that that EU number covers a wide variety of different sins:
    That's true. I do wonder if there is some stats guy/gal in the Commission who has to keep reminding them of that because there's some ideological person going round insisting things only show EU-wide figures at all times as all must be seen as one.

Probably not, nations still need to rank against each other, but I should make a twitter account and claim it is true and see if it takes off.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The US seems to have got by quite well without a House of Lords. I don't see them rushing to implement it. Occasionally a check and balance may get in the way of the executive. As we saw in January and last week, that's not always a bad thing.
    The US hardly ever gets any significant legislation passed, precisely because it elects both chambers of its legislature and its Head of State and all can block legislation. Even if one party controls all 3 branches of the Federal government, if it does not have a big majority in one chamber just 1 or 2 defections from its most centrist members can block passage of bills as planned, as Manchin and Sinema have proved
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Slow hand clap.
    Believe it or not the observation wasn’t formed from one arsehole on Twitter. She’s just a particularly blatant example of it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

tlg86 said:
    Oh dear he's going to be a litigant-in-person, that's never a good sign.

Plus an excuse to post this, Nicholas Soames is a real miss in the Commons.

The Mail on Sunday reports that Soames told the MP for Windsor: "You are a chateau bottled nuclear powered ****. You are totally f***ing disloyal, a f***ing disgrace to your party, your fellow MPs, your prime minister and your country."

"This is nothing more than a grotesque f***ing vanity project to promote your absurd f***ing campaign to become party leader. You aren’t up to it, man!"

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10/21/adam-afriyie-nicholas-soames_n_4134750.html
    Gosh!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

Yes, I agree

'No longer'?

Fair comment, you win. Big mistake on my part.

How can I ever post here again?
    My strategy is volume - people won't find the posts of shame in the forest of sanctimony.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    edited November 2021
    Deleted
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,896
    A watershed moment?

Film by @tomlarkinsky on sleaze and standards
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1457824959494070273/video/1
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

More sleaze
    I don't see why.

The US hardly ever gets any significant legislation passed, precisely because it elects both chambers of its legislature and its Head of State and all can block legislation. Even if one part controls all 3 branches of the Federal government, if it does not have a big majority in one chamber just 1 or 2 defections from its most centrist members can block passage of bills as planned, as Manchin and Sinema have proved
    Whereas in the UK we have the omnishambles of last week.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Slow hand clap.
    To be fair, being able to extrapolate from an a******e on Twitter is an achievement of sorts, given that most of them have already reached the limit?
This discussion has been closed.