Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It is hard to see Old Bexley & Sidcup being other than a comfortable CON hold – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

The Guardian has a fairly good analysis of why Paterson claims the rules didn't apply to him:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/03/owen-paterson-his-claims-and-how-they-stack-up-in-analysis

His argument lacks credibility, to put it mildly. Effectively he's arguing that if an MP believes he's exempt from the rules, that should be the end of the matter.
    And it is not an argument which would be significantly altered by any witness statements. The essential facts of the case are not in dispute.

I see Paterson is saying that the process of having his lobbying examined was a major contributor to his wife’s suicide while also saying that he would act in exactly the same way if he had the time again.

Apart from all the other egregiousness, he strikes me as a deeply stupid man.
    Suicide is an appalling thing to hit a family, a husband, even one as stupid or sleazy as Paterson. I have great sympathy for him on that.

But. But.

He now says this investigation was a factor in her suicide. It is suggested that this is what led to it. Leaving aside the fact that personal tragedy is not a reason for stopping the process of justice, this does not appear to be consistent with what he said at the time.

He did an interview 10 months after her death with Woman's Hour. It can be heard here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2pt (the first item).

He says that he had "no inkling" of what was to happen. When they were looking for her he & his son "never ever considered what actually happened". He goes on to say "we had absolutely no warning of this". He talks about the mental impact of Covid (which she caught) on her, her disappointment at the cancellation of the Grand National. He mentions the pressures in his life in passing but not the investigation. He talks about her anxiety, says that he was unaware of the signs of someone in distress & that had he had more training he might have spotted the signs & been able to help his wife.

It is very moving. But not really compatible with what he is now saying - that the investigation into his behaviour was a cause of his wife's suicide. If he did not know then why she did what she did, how can he be so certain now?

And if he is not certain - and who can ever really understand what drives people to do this unless they explain themselves in advance - using his wife's tragedy to avoid responsibility for his actions feels, well .... I don't know what words to use, really.

Having suffered suicide in my family, I thought at the time his interview was a brave attempt to get people to be more sensitive about the pressures which those close to us can be under so that help can be sought.

Now I wonder whether we are being cynically played. We have another woman, the Standards Commissioner, being accused of being unfair, biased, incompetent & being pressured out of her job in an unsubtle attempt to protect Paterson from the consequences of his actions. No-one seems to care about the stress on her. It reflects very badly indeed on all of them.

Still when the prevailing view is that corruption does not exist if Tory MPs say it doesn't (ca. @HYUFD) & politics is not a moral philosophy class, with voters not minding politicians wetting their beaks as they'd like to do it too (ca. @isam), then there seems little point debating it further.

We must accept I suppose that we now have a Berlusconi-style government (corrupt, incompetent, mainly interested in party advantage) led by a man with a rackety private life & scant regard for morality or rules. Politics seems largely pointless, especially with an Opposition barely capable of taking the skin off a rice pudding.

Personally I'm just hoping we'll soon have the Mediterranean weather & style to go with the Italianisation of our public life.
    Yes, I made the same point yesterday about the discrepancy between Paterson's current claim that the investigation contributed to his wife's suicide and his earlier statements. Something doesn't quite add up there, and I say that as someone who has also lost a spouse (though not to suicide).
    So it was Murder (joke, not meant to be at all serious)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

This is worth a read especially given the source

This is one of the biggest own goals I can recall no matter @HYUFD lame attempts to defend it

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1456185652429664258?t=2Bok1eq6y-lMcxGkOJriqA&s=19

The comments below the article on Con Home, from folk who are presumably mainly Tories, are much more damning than Goodman's tepid report:

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2021/11/johnsons-plan-for-dealing-with-the-paterson-case-has-failed-his-choice-now-is-back-down-or-risk-real-damage.html
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Peter Bone says his office was vandalised last night because of how he voted on Paterson last night
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1456212850125545473

I suspect the furore from those conservative mps not in the commons yesterday with today's media onslaught and angry e mails has combined to see this humiliating climb down
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Roger said:

Caught up with Angela Raygun’s sojourn at PMQs yesterday. Surprisingly impressive!

I wonder if she could play the Prezza role in a Reeves-Phillipson Labour administration?

Completely surprising. Gobsmacking almost. The twin pronged attack from Peter Bottomley and Angela Raynor was quite devastating. Perhaps a template for what you suggest?

(Note for Felix; I DO realise Bottomley is a Tory)
    One thing I really like about Raygun’s presentational style is her cheeky smirk. She just brushes off Boris’ bumbling attacks with her winsome smile. He looks all at sea against the fiery redhead.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Scott_xP said:

Peter Bone says his office was vandalised last night because of how he voted on Paterson last night

He's complaining someone redecorated it for free?!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Farooq said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Selebian said:

DavidL said:

Wow, these threads are coming thick and fast. Barely time to go off topic.

Some really good medical news for a change: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59148620 The HPV vaccine has cut cervical cancer rates by nearly 90%. I think that the government should be making a fuss about this as yet another example of vaccines saving lives. I know that this is approaching anti vaxxers with reason which is probably futile but its got to be worth a go.

I remember all the fuss about sexualisation of children when this was introduced - those people missing the point that it's obviously preferable to vaccinate before exposure so the earlier (within reason) the better.
    Sounds like the vaccine should be offered to all people with cervices...
    HPV is offered to boys and girls; to all young people with cervixes, throats or anuses.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48881008
    That's so wrong, who is doing this?
    My sarcasm meter must be on the blink. This is a good thing, right?
    Offering HPV to anyone is wrong. We should be offering the vaccine instead.
    Ah, a typo. I hadn’t spotted that. :)
    So not a "herd immunity" strategy then. Some people these days do seem to think that it's a good idea for people to catch viruses.
    I think its a great idea for people to get vaccinated against nasty viruses that can kill you (direct or indirect). I also think if the government spends billions making such vaccines freely available to you and you turn it down, a strategy of allowing people like you (i.e. the unvaccinated) to contribute to herd immunity by infection is something that is on the unvaccinated, not the government.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Scott_xP said:
    To be fair, Scott, David Gauke's view is let's say a niche interest for most people
  • Options

BBC now reporting significant u turn and the reforms will not apply to Paterson

Bit late to close the stable door now.
    The problem isn't that the horse has bolted, but the sheer quantity of shit that it has left behind. What an utter fiasco.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

at the end of the day it was pragmatic politics. Now that the issues are pressing, we move on.

It was so "pragmatic" the idiots who did the deal have spent every waking moment since trying to undo some of the damage.

Sometimes being stuck is better than the alternative...
    I'm sorry Scott, you may have enjoyed the political paralysis that the country reached, but I didn't. Thankfully it was resolved before Covid.
  • Options

The problem isn't that the horse has bolted, but the sheer quantity of shit that it has left behind. What an utter fiasco.
    Be that much more difficult to sweep the next heap of shite under the carpet. Looking forward to whomsoever is next investigated.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Nick Robinson: can you give one single example of @BorisJohnson promoting and upholding the principles of standards in public life?

Kwasi Kwarteng: "We had a manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and we delivered Brexit"

@BBCr4today

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1456175002055761927

Is that a parody? He cannot have been so robotic surely?
    It was the only point in the interview when he sounded comfortable.
    When he says "delivered Brexit" does he mean the act of leaving the EU? Or the Brexit deal that its chief negotiator is in Paris to try and amend because of the appallingly poor negotiation carried out by Lord Frost?
    You mean the fantastically good negotiation carried out by Lord Frost, don't you?

If Frost had stuck with Robbins former arrangements there'd have been no Article 16 and no way out of the backstop. That Frost managed to get Article 16 into the arrangements, which can now be used to get a better deal is a masterclass in how you do good negotiations.

And contrary to the myth some like to spread, its not "bad faith" either since the conditions to trigger Article 16 have been met. That people foresaw the fact that the Protocol would lead to problems doesn't mean those problems aren't a trigger for Article 16 - nowhere in the conditions for Article 16 does it say the problems have to be unforeseen.
    How odd. If the TCA is so good why is Frost out to renegotiate it? Why is Frost attacking it?

And as for A16 it is what happens *after* we inevitab;y trigger it which nobody has answers to. "Just trigger A16!!!" seems to be the cry as if that is the final play. It is just the start of a whole new process of once against trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.
    Sometimes you get into a situation, perhaps not of your making, that is really hard to get out of. That's Brexit. Everything was stuck. Frost and Johnson got us out, with a very imperfect deal. Yes they trumpeted it etc, and its facile to mock that, but at the end of the day it was pragmatic politics. Now that the issues are pressing, we move on. Did you expect the TCA to be the last ever word on the matter? Of course not.
    Last ever or last of the same year are quite different things.
    Well I think Covid has had a pretty big effect too.
  • Options

Can anyone explain the agitating over ‘Plan B’ in several corners of the press? Covid positive tests are falling, and have been falling for almost a fortnight - without any restrictions.

Where has this latest bout of irrational panic come from?

They're falling from the 52k mini peak but maintaining in the c. 40k new cases a day range that is still way too high. Hospitalisation too high. The genuine pressure on the NHS that could cause it to collapse very real.

That is why they have both Plan B and apparently Plan C. Not because I am "hysterical" as you kindly put it. Because the NHS management is "hysterical".
    What restrictions do you advocate immediately and to what level would the data need to fall for you to advocate the status quo?
    I advocate nothing. Thats my point. It isn't my opinion that matters. Its Whitty, Van-Tam, Taylor et al whose opinions matter.

The CEO of the NHS Confederation has set out in detail the perils that the NHS faces. Backed by the government health advisers. Listen to them, not me. The problem is that as you have already set your face to "Covid is over" and describe any data against as "hysterical" you are blind to the data...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Owenmnishambles
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Are they planning to re-hold the vote on Paterson's suspension then?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Scott_xP said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg...

"I fear last night's debate conflated the individual case with the general concern.

"This link needs to be broken".

🧐

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1456209930805993473

Absolutely it needs to be broken.

But JRM isn't exactly helping on this ....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    It’s like government by the world’s least competent crime family
    https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1456214619664568320
  • Options

Can anyone explain the agitating over ‘Plan B’ in several corners of the press? Covid positive tests are falling, and have been falling for almost a fortnight - without any restrictions.

I don't know. I'm hardly paying attention to it.

I suppose you could make the argument of pre-emptive action in advance of winter, anticipating more social contact indoors, or the death numbers are still going up, as they catch-up with the latest peak in cases.

Would be much better if there was more attention paid to the vaccine. Immunising more people is the single most effective thing we can do.
    Spot on. This hysterical headline-chasing simply serves to take the pressure off the vax rollout. It’s deeply dissatisfactory behaviour.
    A colleague here (a pharmacist) thinks many of the unvaxxed are not anti-vaxxers, they just can't be bothered. So the focus needs to be to make it easy to get the jab (visit workplaces, as happens at the Uni) and then think about taking a van round to their houses. I think some would have it if you are on the door.

Obviously there are still the complete, out and out idiots to deal with, but hey, they must all have had covid soon, right.

Including a PhD student here, who was very anti-vax, and now has it...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Appalling. His vote was wrong. But threats and vandalism are far far more wrong. As I keep saying we need to drop the heated rhetoric against MPs. Yes some are no good, some vote in a way we dislike, some get done for corruption. But we cannot accept this kind of vigilate response - and all the MPs whose language has helped create this need to stop and think. Peter Bone is as far from being guilty of this as its possible to be.
  • Options
    Sam Coates confirms on Sky that HMG does a full 'fat' climbdown and in the next few days a motion will be put to mps to confirm the 30 day suspension for Paterson and trigger a by election
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The irony is, if Paterson is now thrown under the bus, he is much more likely to face a by-election and he may well lose it because of this fiasco.
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Yes
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Can they chose to simply ignore it? Various things get voted for in parliament that just get set aside. As the government have both forced the vote and now indicated they will not implement it, I assume they can just ignore the thing they strongly advocated on this morning's media round.

It seems to be the new political rule. The more desperate and debased the minister's arguments are on the media round, the greater the likelihood the government is about to do a complete u-turn.
  • Options

I suppose you could make the argument of pre-emptive action in advance of winter, anticipating more social contact indoors, or the death numbers are still going up, as they catch-up with the latest peak in cases.

Would be much better if there was more attention paid to the vaccine. Immunising more people is the single most effective thing we can do.
    Focusing on the vaccine is definitely right - regardless of how one reads the figures, there is plenty of Covid still around and plenty of people on ventilators. Not going all out to promote boosters (and IMO vaccination of children) is a collective own goals - and that's nothing to do with being pro- or anti-lockdown.

Personally I'm trying not to react too much to the daily figures. When the number dropped under 40K there were people saying "See? It's beaten!" and when it went back over 40K there were people shouting "Plan B now". Overall the picture looks fairly stable at a high plateau.
    Yesterday on radio 5 I listened in shock as a scientist pointed out how much higher our testing regime is than other countries, and if you take that into account we are not so out of step with our community levels of Covid. Refreshing.
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Yes
    What a shambolic mess. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I'm not sure how much this will affect the Tories' poll ratings but Johnson has surely lost capital with his own MPs.
  • Options

Focusing on the vaccine is definitely right - regardless of how one reads the figures, there is plenty of Covid still around and plenty of people on ventilators. Not going all out to promote boosters (and IMO vaccination of children) is a collective own goals - and that's nothing to do with being pro- or anti-lockdown.

Personally I'm trying not to react too much to the daily figures. When the number dropped under 40K there were people saying "See? It's beaten!" and when it went back over 40K there were people shouting "Plan B now". Overall the picture looks fairly stable at a high plateau.
    I'm not seeing 100K a day yet - thought that was nailed on?
  • Options
    There were nearly 20k opposition votes in North Shropshire in 2019.. with some organisation the 10k signatures for recall should now easily be cleared.. a week a go would that be the case? https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1456215365361545218/photo/1
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Corrupt, incompetent and unprincipled. Impressive work.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    I honestly don't know why the government thought that protecting Owen Paterson was a good idea.
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Yes
    What a shambolic mess. 🤦‍♂️
    It was completely unavoidable and is embarrassing
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

The Guardian has a fairly good analysis of why Paterson claims the rules didn't apply to him:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/03/owen-paterson-his-claims-and-how-they-stack-up-in-analysis

His argument lacks credibility, to put it mildly. Effectively he's arguing that if an MP believes he's exempt from the rules, that should be the end of the matter.
    And it is not an argument which would be significantly altered by any witness statements. The essential facts of the case are not in dispute.

I see Paterson is saying that the process of having his lobbying examined was a major contributor to his wife’s suicide while also saying that he would act in exactly the same way if he had the time again.

Apart from all the other egregiousness, he strikes me as a deeply stupid man.
    Suicide is an appalling thing to hit a family, a husband, even one as stupid or sleazy as Paterson. I have great sympathy for him on that.

But. But.

He now says this investigation was a factor in her suicide. It is suggested that this is what led to it. Leaving aside the fact that personal tragedy is not a reason for stopping the process of justice, this does not appear to be consistent with what he said at the time.

He did an interview 10 months after her death with Woman's Hour. It can be heard here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2pt (the first item).

He says that he had "no inkling" of what was to happen. When they were looking for her he & his son "never ever considered what actually happened". He goes on to say "we had absolutely no warning of this". He talks about the mental impact of Covid (which she caught) on her, her disappointment at the cancellation of the Grand National. He mentions the pressures in his life in passing but not the investigation. He talks about her anxiety, says that he was unaware of the signs of someone in distress & that had he had more training he might have spotted the signs & been able to help his wife.

It is very moving. But not really compatible with what he is now saying - that the investigation into his behaviour was a cause of his wife's suicide. If he did not know then why she did what she did, how can he be so certain now?

And if he is not certain - and who can ever really understand what drives people to do this unless they explain themselves in advance - using his wife's tragedy to avoid responsibility for his actions feels, well .... I don't know what words to use, really.

Having suffered suicide in my family, I thought at the time his interview was a brave attempt to get people to be more sensitive about the pressures which those close to us can be under so that help can be sought.

Now I wonder whether we are being cynically played. We have another woman, the Standards Commissioner, being accused of being unfair, biased, incompetent & being pressured out of her job in an unsubtle attempt to protect Paterson from the consequences of his actions. No-one seems to care about the stress on her. It reflects very badly indeed on all of them.

Still when the prevailing view is that corruption does not exist if Tory MPs say it doesn't (ca. @HYUFD) & politics is not a moral philosophy class, with voters not minding politicians wetting their beaks as they'd like to do it too (ca. @isam), then there seems little point debating it further.

We must accept I suppose that we now have a Berlusconi-style government (corrupt, incompetent, mainly interested in party advantage) led by a man with a rackety private life & scant regard for morality or rules. Politics seems largely pointless, especially with an Opposition barely capable of taking the skin off a rice pudding.

Personally I'm just hoping we'll soon have the Mediterranean weather & style to go with the Italianisation of our public life.
    Yes, I made the same point yesterday about the discrepancy between Paterson's current claim that the investigation contributed to his wife's suicide and his earlier statements. Something doesn't quite add up there, and I say that as someone who has also lost a spouse (though not to suicide).
    I've only been scanning the threads so missed that.

There is a great deal of dishonourable conduct going on. And plenty of people to defend it.
  • Options

Spot on. This hysterical headline-chasing simply serves to take the pressure off the vax rollout. It’s deeply dissatisfactory behaviour.
    A colleague here (a pharmacist) thinks many of the unvaxxed are not anti-vaxxers, they just can't be bothered. So the focus needs to be to make it easy to get the jab (visit workplaces, as happens at the Uni) and then think about taking a van round to their houses. I think some would have it if you are on the door.

Obviously there are still the complete, out and out idiots to deal with, but hey, they must all have had covid soon, right.

I have to say that the only un-vaxxed I have come across are anti-vaxxers.
  • Options

They're falling from the 52k mini peak but maintaining in the c. 40k new cases a day range that is still way too high. Hospitalisation too high. The genuine pressure on the NHS that could cause it to collapse very real.

That is why they have both Plan B and apparently Plan C. Not because I am "hysterical" as you kindly put it. Because the NHS management is "hysterical".
    What restrictions do you advocate immediately and to what level would the data need to fall for you to advocate the status quo?
    I advocate nothing. Thats my point. It isn't my opinion that matters. Its Whitty, Van-Tam, Taylor et al whose opinions matter.

The CEO of the NHS Confederation has set out in detail the perils that the NHS faces. Backed by the government health advisers. Listen to them, not me. The problem is that as you have already set your face to "Covid is over" and describe any data against as "hysterical" you are blind to the data...
    A barefaced lie. Show me the post where I say Covid is over? Clue: you won’t be able to because I have said the exact opposite, repeatedly. It’s probably with us forever.

As for the rest of your post, you have no opinion now? How convenient. You can attack others but avoid any commitment yourself. Maybe you are right and hysterical is not the right descriptor. Let’s go with sanctimonious instead.
  • Options

Yesterday on radio 5 I listened in shock as a scientist pointed out how much higher our testing regime is than other countries, and if you take that into account we are not so out of step with our community levels of Covid. Refreshing.
    After an incredibly slow start, I think this is probably the most important thing to keep an eye on for the winter.

I don't understand why the USA is dragging its heels so much in the booster rollout considering they had a big head start on that. Its worth remembering that although the UK rolled out jabs first, we prioritised first jabs first, so other nations had a higher share of second jabs for a while that need boosting sooner.

America was for a very long time ahead of us on second jabs, so they should be well ahead on boosters and they're just not.
  • Options

I'm not sure how much this will affect the Tories' poll ratings but Johnson has surely lost capital with his own MPs.

Hopefully
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited November 2021

Actually, they look pretty good at suppressing transmission. Within the fully vaccinated group, transmission lines die out quite quickly - just not instantly.

It's the unvaxxed that provide the engine room for ongoing transmission.

Leakage from teens to parents is main driver of cases rise in the older, more vaxxed population. Remove that engine room, and cases should drop considerably. The muffling effect of immunity on every virus generation as it tries to move through an unfriendly vaccinated population causes those chains to exponentially decay.

You are probably right, and I am understating the degree to which tranmission is reduced, but doesn't that chart show that the only groups where rates are falling are the most recently vaccinated young adults, and the recently boosted elderly? Everyone else is seeing higher rates. What am I misunderstanding? Surely this chart suggests that everybody will need a regular booster, because efficacy wanes quite quickly.

So if I restate my point I'd say, the vaccine does not confer lifelong protection — having your jab does not mean covid is over for you, as too many seem to think — and that we will need regular vaccination campaigns to suppress transmission.

I realise this is basically quibling about the probably small difference between your "pretty good" and my "aren't really much good" viewpoints.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    edited November 2021

I assume there has to be another vote in the Commons. Perhaps Johnson will still achieve his aim of weakening the process, even if Paterson is sacrificed.

And then there's the benefit of degrading Tory MPs by having them vote for the thing yesterday.

Sometimes it feels like instability is the method in the madness. There's often only a cursory attempt to defend a position that it makes the government hard to pin down.
  • Options

There does seem to be an element that wants vaccination to fail, or at any rate, to be seen as a failure.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The incompetence is the amazing bit. The government is brilliant at populist stunts, and utterly useless about political management.

So its back to *why*. The vote was explicitly a putsch against the standards commissioner - Kwarteng confirmed that repeatedly this morning. And we know what she is planning to go after next - Carrie and the redecoration.

So I get the motives. How are they so godawful at the strategy, never mind the tactics.
  • Options

Agreed. All very odd.

Can they chose to simply ignore it? Various things get voted for in parliament that just get set aside. As the government have both forced the vote and now indicated they will not implement it, I assume they can just ignore the thing they strongly advocated on this morning's media round.

It seems to be the new political rule. The more desperate and debased the minister's arguments are on the media round, the greater the likelihood the government is about to do a complete u-turn.
    JRM has confirmed that they are planning on revoting on Paterson. Strikes me a recall election is now inevitable.

I give the Government no credit at all for this U-turn. They got caught with their hands in the sweetie jar and only backed down because of the amount of flak they were getting and how damaging it was going to be to them politically. Their intent was clear and pretending otherwise is just further dishonesty.
    I agree.

I defended the right to have an appeal yesterday and I stand by that. But this hokey-cokey is just ridiculous. If they thought they were in the right yesterday (and I was OK with it) then they should have stuck with it, to flip flop after less than 24 hours makes the whole thing a politicised farce and not justice.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

That would confirm that Paterson is expendable having proved useful in taking the future sting out of the Standards Commissioner and Committee's future anticipated action against the cost of Carrie's wallpaper.

All very clever stuff from Johnson.

However, if there is a recall after this furore, Paterson could be much weakened personally from where he stood yesterday. His chances of retaking the seat might also be somewhat diminished.
  • Options

The horses' arses have definitely bolted.
  • Options

glw said:

MaxPB said:

People have gone a bit crazy. I think there's a big element of Boris/Brexit derangement syndrome too. The people agitating for it don't really care about the virus, they just want to oppose the government. There's so many other valid areas to do that on, picking COVID just seems a bit mad, especially as cases are falling.

On Tuesday when we had the delayed deaths number rolled in my colleague pointed out that the lockdown fascists would use it without context to agitate for restrictions, so it came to pass.
    One thing that hasn't sunk in is that as good as the current covid vaccines are, relative to other vaccines, they aren't really much good at preventing transmission. Covid is simply too easily spread for the current vaccines to hold it in check. The vaccines are useful for suppressing serious illness but we will likely incur a lot of cases no matter what.

Further restrictions like NPIs would have to be open-ended, because until we get better vaccines or good treatments we will face a flare up of covid each time we relax restrictions. So anyone arguing for mandatory masks, social distancing, or closing certain bits of the economy is effectively asking for those things to be done for a very long time, not a few weeks or months.
    Actually, they look pretty good at suppressing transmission. Within the fully vaccinated group, transmission lines die out quite quickly - just not instantly.

It's the unvaxxed that provide the engine room for ongoing transmission.

Leakage from teens to parents is main driver of cases rise in the older, more vaxxed population. Remove that engine room, and cases should drop considerably. The muffling effect of immunity on every virus generation as it tries to move through an unfriendly vaccinated population causes those chains to exponentially decay.
    Yep that's how my wife and I got it. Thankfully my son had his first jab yesterday at school so we are slowly closing the loopholes.
  • Options
    Sky reports indicate a huge conservative mp rebellion forcing this climbdown

Boris must be damaged by this and time for change
  • Options

Yes, I think he’s right about that. Lots of young people have (rightly) calculated that they are not at much personal risk from covid and thus (wrongly) been apathetic about being vaxxed. There’s still plenty of low hanging fruit around: the first focus is on that!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Nick Robinson: can you give one single example of @BorisJohnson promoting and upholding the principles of standards in public life?

Kwasi Kwarteng: "We had a manifesto commitment to deliver Brexit and we delivered Brexit"

@BBCr4today

When he says "delivered Brexit" does he mean the act of leaving the EU? Or the Brexit deal that its chief negotiator is in Paris to try and amend because of the appallingly poor negotiation carried out by Lord Frost?
    You mean the fantastically good negotiation carried out by Lord Frost, don't you?

If Frost had stuck with Robbins former arrangements there'd have been no Article 16 and no way out of the backstop. That Frost managed to get Article 16 into the arrangements, which can now be used to get a better deal is a masterclass in how you do good negotiations.

And contrary to the myth some like to spread, its not "bad faith" either since the conditions to trigger Article 16 have been met. That people foresaw the fact that the Protocol would lead to problems doesn't mean those problems aren't a trigger for Article 16 - nowhere in the conditions for Article 16 does it say the problems have to be unforeseen.
    How odd. If the TCA is so good why is Frost out to renegotiate it? Why is Frost attacking it?

And as for A16 it is what happens *after* we inevitab;y trigger it which nobody has answers to. "Just trigger A16!!!" seems to be the cry as if that is the final play. It is just the start of a whole new process of once against trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.
    Sometimes you get into a situation, perhaps not of your making, that is really hard to get out of. That's Brexit. Everything was stuck. Frost and Johnson got us out, with a very imperfect deal. Yes they trumpeted it etc, and its facile to mock that, but at the end of the day it was pragmatic politics. Now that the issues are pressing, we move on. Did you expect the TCA to be the last ever word on the matter? Of course not.
    Sure but the clue might be in the name Covid19 given the TCA was agreed in December 2020.
  • Options

A barefaced lie. Show me the post where I say Covid is over? Clue: you won’t be able to because I have said the exact opposite, repeatedly. It’s probably with us forever.

As for the rest of your post, you have no opinion now? How convenient. You can attack others but avoid any commitment yourself. Maybe you are right and hysterical is not the right descriptor. Let’s go with sanctimonious instead.
    Covid will never be over. Its like saying the cold is over, or flu is over, or AIDS is over.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited November 2021
    Morning PB.

Managed to get my mother's Covid booster done today after booking on NHS website last week.

That's a month earlier than the appointment she'd been offered by the GP. Things seems to be swinging into gear with the booster campaign thankfully.
  • Options

I assume there has to be another vote in the Commons. Perhaps Johnson will still achieve his aim of weakening the process, even if Paterson is sacrificed.

And then there's the benefit of degrading Tory MPs by having them vote for the thing yesterday.

Sometimes it feels like instability is the method in the madness. There's often only a cursory attempt to defend a position that it makes the government hard to pin down.
    Vote to take place before the recess on the 10th November
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

This is one of the biggest own goals I can recall no matter @HYUFD lame attempts to defend it

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1456185652429664258?t=2Bok1eq6y-lMcxGkOJriqA&s=19

That is actually blatantly pro Patterson. No reference to his repeated advocacy while concealing his links, or voting in his own case, and so on. And if it comes out with that conclusion ...
    That vote was an unforced error. His complaint is that the rules of natural justice do not apply to his case. There are two rules of natural justice, and one of them is nemo iudex in causa sua.
    PS Just seen this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/03/owen-paterson-calls-parliaments-chief-sleaze-inquisitor-quit/

Obvs not just seeking to act as a judge in his own case ...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Sam Coates confirms on Sky that HMG does a full 'fat' climbdown and in the next few days a motion will be put to mps to confirm the 30 day suspension for Paterson and trigger a by election

That is AAA rated government incompetence.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Owenmnishambles

Actually, I'll drop the first 'n' in the portmanteau to make it flow better:

Owemnishambles.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The incompetence is the amazing bit. The government is brilliant at populist stunts, and utterly useless about political management.

So its back to *why*. The vote was explicitly a putsch against the standards commissioner - Kwarteng confirmed that repeatedly this morning. And we know what she is planning to go after next - Carrie and the redecoration.

So I get the motives. How are they so godawful at the strategy, never mind the tactics.
    I think they were hoping that she would resign yesterday off the back of this. The fact that she did not may well have caused them to realise their plan had failed. I am more and more inclined to the idea this was a targeted attack on the Commissioner who they believe to be biased.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Sean_F said:

I honestly don't know why the government thought that protecting Owen Paterson was a good idea.

It looks more likely as the hours go by that Paterson was a stalking horse, sacrificed to protect Johnson.

Quite a clever wizard wheeze.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BBCr4today

Sure but the clue might be in the name Covid19 given the TCA was agreed in December 2020.
    The TCA isn't being renegotiated.

Its the Protocol that is and that was agreed in October (I think?) 2019.

It makes perfect sense to renegotiate the Protocol now that we have the TCA.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

The Fat Lying Sack of Jizz doesn't give a fuck about his MPs because, much like Trump, he disintermediates the political process and speaks directly to the voters going around or through the elected representatives.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited November 2021

After an incredibly slow start, I think this is probably the most important thing to keep an eye on for the winter.

I don't understand why the USA is dragging its heels so much in the booster rollout considering they had a big head start on that. Its worth remembering that although the UK rolled out jabs first, we prioritised first jabs first, so other nations had a higher share of second jabs for a while that need boosting sooner.

America was for a very long time ahead of us on second jabs, so they should be well ahead on boosters and they're just not.
    It's interesting isn't it. We are calling it a "booster" when in actual fact it is a "third jab".

What implications this has for a "fourth jab", and a "fifth jab" is an interesting question.
  • Options

Polling changes will be negligible. You'll never be able to "get" Boris on sleaze, incompetence etc etc. He's teflon!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

But you knew that anyway, right? Marr last Sunday stated that we have more new infections than the rest of Europe combined - what nonsense - yet Sunak didn't challenge him. He should have gone for Marr at that point for promoting such a falsehood.
  • Options
    I can't imagine there will be any difficulty attracting 8,300 signatures in North Shropshire to force a by-election, and Paterson should be required to stand down in favour of another candidate.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

That is actually blatantly pro Patterson. No reference to his repeated advocacy while concealing his links, or voting in his own case, and so on. And if it comes out with that conclusion ...
    That vote was an unforced error. His complaint is that the rules of natural justice do not apply to his case. There are two rules of natural justice, and one of them is nemo iudex in causa sua.
    PS Just seen this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/03/owen-paterson-calls-parliaments-chief-sleaze-inquisitor-quit/

Obvs not just seeking to act as a judge in his own case ...
    So Paterson much more likely to face a recall vote & by election, Stone strengthened in her position and this government (yet again) revealed to be corrupt incompetents.

A cracking day's work!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's interesting isn't it. We are calling it a "booster" when in actual fact it is a "third jab".

What implications this has for a "fourth dose", and a "fifth dose" is an interesting question.
    I couldn't care less if we have a fourth, fifth . . . 80th etc jab having a new one every six or twelve months if required.

The flu jab is annual, why can't the Covid jab be annual or biannual?

If that's what it takes to ensure people are protected and we don't need any other bullshit to live our lives normally, then that's what it takes.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It looks more likely as the hours go by that Paterson was a stalking horse, sacrificed to protect Johnson.

Johnson's a classicist. It'd be a pig, sheep or ox (I think chickens are too small to count for Tory MPs). And the best sacrifices came in sets of three, the suovetaurilia. Wonder who nos. 2 and 3 will be?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,004
    A totally avoidable mess. Worse, one caused by a lack of both morality and intelligence within the government.
  • Options
    Clown car executes remarkable U-turn: Prime Minister Johnson junks unilateral reform of Commons standards procedures, Owen Paterson to face suspension after all #shambles
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1456219881242775557
  • Options

TOPPING said:

What implications this has for a "fourth dose", and a "fifth dose" is an interesting question.
    I couldn't care less if we have a fourth, fifth . . . 80th etc jab having a new one every six or twelve months if required.

If that's what it takes to ensure people are protected and we don't need any other bullshit to live our lives normally, then that's what it takes.
    Exactly right. Who cares?
  • Options
    glw said:

That is AAA rated government incompetence.
    This isn't just any climbdown, this is an M&S climbdown.
  • Options

Late to the party this morning but the HPV vaccine news is bloody brilliant. Vaccines work. That message needs to be drummed home morning , noon and night

Very well said!

Between that and the Cleo Smith rescue in Australia, that's some really good news at the moment.
  • Options

A totally avoidable mess. Worse, one caused by a lack of both morality and intelligence within the government.

Evergreen post with BoZo in charge...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    This is typical Johnson supermarket trolley vacillation stuff. Just as Cummings said.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Good job they haven't drawn attention to it at all then. Such sleight of hand.

Wallpapergate, nobody cares, SKS looks like a prat standing in John Lewis.

It's not the crime it's the cover up though.

I wonder if the odd person will start to care once this plays out.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The Fat Lying Sack of Jizz doesn't give a fuck about his MPs because, much like Trump, he disintermediates the political process and speaks directly to the voters going around or through the elected representatives.
    He needs to have a stiff word with the voters who are vandalising his MPs' offices (and who are probably exactly the types who were prancing about outside parliament with mock gallows). These are his people now.
  • Options

Blimey. My opinion - as it always has been - is to follow the science. Which is not being "hysterical" as you previously suggested.

Right here and now the science and the health experts say we need Plan B - something you described as "irrational". So I can say that you are "agitating" for Covid - the pandemic driving restrictions as opposed to the literal virus - to be over because you consistently are and have been in this very thread.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

Absolutely but it is the messaging that is important. If we are going to have to have jabs for the foreseeable future then that needs to be introduced. "Booster" implies some kind of finality. 2x jabs then a booster and you're done.

What are they going to call jab #4?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Scott_xP said:

Clown car executes remarkable U-turn: Prime Minister Johnson junks unilateral reform of Commons standards procedures, Owen Paterson to face suspension after all #shambles
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1456219881242775557

Had Grant Shapps and the hamster that lives on top of his head been sent out to defend it on Sky News?

That is the usual harbinger of a U-turn within 4-6 hours.
  • Options

Blimey. My opinion - as it always has been - is to follow the science. Which is not being "hysterical" as you previously suggested.

Right here and now the science and the health experts say we need Plan B - something you described as "irrational". So I can say that you are "agitating" for Covid - the pandemic driving restrictions as opposed to the literal virus - to be over because you consistently are and have been in this very thread.
    Waffle.

My view is that no more restrictions are necessary at this stage.

What’s yours?
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Smarkets have some prices on whether there will be a North Shropshire by-election.
    https://smarkets.com/event/42453437/politics/uk/by-elections/north-shropshire-by-election
  • Options

Late to the party this morning but the HPV vaccine news is bloody brilliant. Vaccines work. That message needs to be drummed home morning , noon and night

Yes excellent news. Hopefully this will also start bringing down rates of oral and oralpharyngeal cancers which have shown a spike in younger age groups over the past 30 years or so largely as result of HPV.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I think they were hoping that she would resign yesterday off the back of this. The fact that she did not may well have caused them to realise their plan had failed. I am more and more inclined to the idea this was a targeted attack on the Commissioner who they believe to be biased.
    They only think she is biased because she keeps finding Tory MPs to be in breach of the standards. And she's coming after Boris over who paid for Carrie's wallpaper.
  • Options
    For a proper exciting 'corruption' story you need to come to Denmark - the 'mink case' is a slowly bubbling constitutional scandal that if it keeps growing (as I think it will) could put Mette Frederiksen's government in danger - the results of the upcoming regional and local elections will provide some info on how seriously voters are taking a breach of the constitution and the use of the police to carry out enforcement of orders they knew and accept were illegal - the social democrats have enjoyed a good corona war but ignoring the constitution could yet bite them. They tale of deleted texts is becoming familiar in political scandals but is getting some here very exercised.

My own view is that it is a serious issue but the situation at the time was extreme and there was near panic about a new variant of covid that domestic animals would pass to humans - the fact the social democrats also achieved their objective of destroying the mink industry is I think largely coincidental. However there needs to be a price paid for government ministers deciding to illegally appropriate property and commit to spending billions in compo on very thin evidence. I'm just not sure what that price should be.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Whitty. Van-Tam. Taylor. The rest of the NHS management. Javid. Even Johnson.

They care. They don't want the NHS to collapse this winter. To protect you.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Dura_Ace said:

Yeah but the trouble is a President can always blame Congress for gridlock. A Prime minister is supposed to control the HoC. He got away with it over Brexit but that was a very specific issue of parliament seemingly trying to avoid enacting the referendum result.

I rather doubt a parliament versus the people approach is going to work in the case of Paterson.
  • Options

Waffle.

My view is that no more restrictions are necessary at this stage.

What’s yours?
    That they are *likely* to be needed to stop the NHS collapsing. The difference between me and thee is that when they impose Plan B. Based on the evidence. You will keep saying we don't need it. That it is "irrational".

If it is "waffle" it is your waffle. I am directly quoting you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Absolutely but it is the messaging that is important. If we are going to have to have jabs for the foreseeable future then that needs to be introduced. "Booster" implies some kind of finality. 2x jabs then a booster and you're done.

What are they going to call jab #4?
    Booster doesn't imply finality it just implies it boosts your protection. If jab 4 is required then that can be called a booster too, or anything else, it doesn't matter.

Those who want finality to Covid are in denial. It's something we need to live with.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think you misread what you were replying to.

0/10 try again.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Thoughts and prayers for HYUFD at this difficult time. Defending the government line is not easy when Caligula is in charge.

And he sends his horse out to the Forum to give statements on Imperial policy to the Daily Gazette.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You have gone stark raving crackers this morning. That post was in response to the prospect of getting biannual jabs, which I agreed with Philip is absolutely fine, you daft sod.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

TOPPING said:

I had my booster yesterday. They seem to have got the booster program back on the road. The NHS web site has changed so it is much clearer. I went to a walk in centre and it was heaving. Today I got my reminder. A bit late but at least there for those who don't know about walk in centres. Very sore arm today and slight ache all over.
  • Options
    shadsy said:

Smarkets have some prices on whether there will be a North Shropshire by-election.
    https://smarkets.com/event/42453437/politics/uk/by-elections/north-shropshire-by-election

Nifty avatar change :)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

They only think she is biased because she keeps finding Tory MPs to be in breach of the standards. And she's coming after Boris over who paid for Carrie's wallpaper.
    That's chicken and egg though.

Do they think she's biased because she's going after Tories, or is she going after Tories because she's biased?
This discussion has been closed.